Author Topic: What was your favourite review when BBM came out?  (Read 4464 times)

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ennis for Mr Brokeback 2007!!!
What was your favourite review when BBM came out?
« on: Nov 14, 2010, 02:46 PM »
Hello everyone,

times for reminiscing a little.

I found my favourite BBM review by accident today and thought I'd share it with you.

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s1533013.htm

Brokeback Mountain

An epic American love story based on the short story by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Annie Proulx. Set against the sweeping vistas of Wyoming and Texas, it is the story of a range-hand and a rodeo cowboy who meet in the summer of 1963 and unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection.

Margaret: five stars David: five stars

Brokeback Mountain

Review by David Stratton

Getting a release later in January is what I predict will be one of the best films of 2006, Ang Lee’s Brokeback Mountain, which stars Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as two cowboys who discover something rare and forbidden when they are working alone on Brokeback Mountain one summer.

At the end of summer Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) goes back down the mountain and marries his fiance Alma (Michelle Williams), has a couple of kids while Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal), goes back to the rodeo. Four years down the track, after his own marriage to Lureen (Anne Hathaway), Jack initiates a reconnection. The relationship between the two men which endures for twenty years has an impact on both their marriages.

This exquisite film was made by the Ang Lee who seems to be able to bring such truth to his films, despite the wide variety of genres and cultures that he explores. With Brokeback Mountain he worked from a screenplay by Larry McMurtry’s and Diana Ossana which they adapted from a short story by E Annie Proulx.

In making Brokeback Mountain Lee has made all the right choices – using Rodrigo Prieto as cinematographer and Gustavo Santaolalla as composer, collaborators of Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu on both Amores Perros and 21 Grams. The effect is sublime.

Casting Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal was a stroke of genius, neither have been better in their lives, they are just so beautiful and the rest of the cast is outstanding. For me, this is an absolutely perfect film in every way. So moving, so wonderfully done.
Further comments

MARGARET POMERANZ: For me, this is an absolutely perfect film in every way. So moving and so wonderfully done. David.

DAVID STRATTON: It is. It is, quite simply, a great love story. And it's done with such subtlety and such dignity and such grace. And as you say, Ang Lee is really an extraordinary director because he tackles so many different kinds of films. Who would believe that the man who made 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' could make such a subtle, tender film as this.

MARGARET POMERANZ: After 'Hulk'.

DAVID STRATTON: After 'Hulk'.

MARGARET POMERANZ: But, you know, every shot in this film, I have seen it twice now, and second time you just look at what he does with that camera, and every shot has a point. Do you know, this is why I go to the movies, for the possibility of seeing something as good as this.

DAVID STRATTON: It's so graceful and so tender. So pertinent. And people have mocked Heath Ledger a little bit for some of the things he's done.

MARGARET POMERANZ: He's wonderful in this.

DAVID STRATTON: But he is fantastic. And so is, I mean, the two of them are really good. And the women are good, too. It just is a really terrific film. I'm gonna give this 5 out of 5.

MARGARET POMERANZ: Look! I would give it 10 out of 5. I just think it's so sublime.

DAVID STRATTON: You can't.
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592)

Heath, I swear ...