Author Topic: Heath Ledger - In Loving Memory  (Read 1736892 times)

Offline JT

• Jack + Ennis
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
Re: Heath Ledger - In Loving Memory
« Reply #540 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:04 PM »

Ethan sent me this picture on my cellphone, he just took it front of Heath's flat :\'(

Thanks for sharing Pierre.  This is making me cry.  

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #541 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:04 PM »

From: http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/23/remembering.ledger.irpt/

---------------------------------------------------------------

I-Reporters recall meeting kind, handsome Heath Ledger

(CNN) -- CNN.com reader Kristy O'Connor took a prenatal yoga class with Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams and says she was "in awe of his devotion and attention to Michelle." Reader Dena Michnowih says she came across Ledger in Brooklyn, New York, teaching his young daughter Matilda her right from her left, and was enchanted.

Heath Ledger is pictured with crew of the 2005 film "Lords of Dogtown" and members of the Zephyr skating team.

CNN.com asked readers to share their memories of Ledger, who was found dead in a New York apartment Tuesday, January 22. Famous for his roles in the films, "The Patriot" and "Lords of Dogtown," Ledger was widely acclaimed for his portrayal of the homosexual cowboy Enis del Mar in 2005's "Brokeback Mountain." CNN.com readers describe meeting Ledger in person, and call him humble and kind. Below are a selection of their responses, some of which have been edited for length and clarity.

Donal Logue of Los Angeles, California
I met Heath eight years ago while working on "The Patriot." He became a star while we were sequestered away in a small town in South Carolina based on the strength of the dailies going back to Los Angeles. Heath was a fantastically kind and sweet young man. He surrounded himself with his friends from Australia and never forgot any of us he ever worked with. I last saw him in Australia when he called my name on a Melbourne street and introduced me to Michelle, his (then) pregnant [girlfriend].

I have great memories of going for runs with him or watching a bootleg copy of a Parker and Stone's musical called "Cannibal! The Musical of the Donner Party Tragedy." Heath must have been in a place of great pain and sadness to be split from his wife and child. He was sensitive and unfairly victimized in his native country by the unfortunate Australian custom called the "tall poppy syndrome" in which an Australian, the second he or she achieves global success, is immediately and arbitrarily accused of losing all of their humanity. Not true. He was a sweet person, and less importantly, an unbelievaby talented actor. Maybe the best of his generation.

Dan Bova of Larchmont, New York
Once when I was driving in Brooklyn, I got a flat tire. As I was jacking up my car, this deep voice from behind me said, "Need a hand?" It was Heath Ledger. I couldn't believe it. He helped jack up my car and change the tire. He was really good with tools!

R. of Perth, Western Australia
I grew up with Heath around the speedway racing circuit. I remember the night he was a little boy and his Dad was racing speed cars at Claremont Speedway (my dad was in the race, too). His dad was coming 3rd then in the final corner, the two lead cars spun out and Heath's dad Kim took the lead and won the State Title race. Heath was standing a couple of rows in front of me with his mum and sister and they were all so excited, jumping up and down and cheering. He was about as happy as a little boy could be watching his dad become a champion. I remember that night because in the years that followed, I saw his parents marriage break up and it was like there was this moment in his childhood of pure joy that I witnessed.

Later Heath would pit crew for Graham Jones, and I crewed for my dad and brother. Heath and I were both the youngest on our crews so that meant our job was to take the fiberglass bonnets over to the hoses and wash the mud off after each race really dirty work but he managed to stay cleaner than the rest of us.

Crystal Davis of Toronto, Ontario
I met Heath in L.A. at a mall a year or so ago. I was staring at him working up the nerve to ask for an autograph. He saw me, started laughing and walked towards me. He said I was white as an "egg" and asked if he could do anything. I said, No thanks ... yes I forgot to ask for the autograph. He touched my shoulder and told me to take it easy and walked away. He looked back several times and smiled. What a great memory I have of him. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Dena Michnowich of Glen Cove, New York
I was walking in the lower east side of Manhattan one day and I noticed a really cute man holding his little daughter on his shoulders. She looked just like him. He told her that they had to make a right and asked her to point them in the right direction, which she did. I soon realized that it was Heath Ledger and I got really excited. I was walking right up to them as they were waiting to cross the street. When I got close, I waved and he smiled at me. He was so handsome I got the chills. I could also sense that he had a very sweet spirit. It was a very special moment for me. I'm so sad to hear that he died.

Leanne Scorzoni of Staten Island, New York
I worked as a nanny for a number of years in Manhattan, and I ended up having a toddler class with my charge and Heath, Michelle and baby Matilda. The couple was so polite and laid back at first I didn't recognize who they were. They were genuinely interested in their child, her development, and treating the rest of us (including staff) with respect. He will be sorely missed.

Michael Williams of Perth, Western Australia
I met Heath Ledger many years ago while I was working at a local fast food outlet here in Perth Western Australia. He came through to order and I was amazed at how polite, kind and friendly he was. He stopped to sign autographs while he waited knowing that to the people asking him he was somewhat of a hero. He did all this with the great Australian attitude that he had and a smile on his face, he was one superstar that took stardom well and in his stride, I for one feel thankful that I have met this great person.

I send my deepest sympathy to his family and say to them that you do not mourn his passing alone; the people of Perth share your grief.

Tracy Kimball of Rock Hill, South Carolina
I met Heath Ledger in 1999 while he was filming "The Patriot" in South Carolina. I was a reporter for a daily newspaper there and he was at a press conference about the movie at Historic Brattonsville, a Revolutionary-era plantation. He was so very kind and was more than happy to sign my newspaper. The media was flocking around Mel Gibson, but seeing a new young and dashingly gorgeous guy standing off to himself, I approached him and asked for his autograph. He flashed that smile, grabbed my pen and used my back to sign the newspaper I was holding.

We had a conversation, but I don't remember it because I was so enamored. I had never heard of him before because the only American movie he had filmed was "Ten Things I Hate About You," which I had not yet seen. I went back to the paper where I worked and wrote a story about the new hot Aussie star that would surely become hugely successful in America. His death really saddens me. He was such a talented actor and a new dad. Having a child the same age as his daughter, it makes me even sadder to think of her missing her father.

Amanda Olmstead of Penticton, British Columbia
I met Heath when he was filming "Brokeback Mountain" in my hometown of Fort Macleod. He was a down to earth man with amazing talent. His portrayal of Ennis del Mar was life-changing for many of my friends. I am truly saddened by his death.

Kristy O'Connor of Sydney, Australia
My heart goes out to Heath's family and little Matilda, I met Heath one time at a prenatal yoga class in Sydney with Michelle and was in awe of his devotion and attention to her. He was a true gentleman and I'm sure an amazing father. To make assumptions as to how or why he died is to bring more pain to an already devastated family.

Adrian K. of Perth, Western Australia
I met Heath one night on the town in Perth. The one-degree of separation rule in Perth made him a friend of a friend. We had a brief and quiet chat. What struck me was his calm in the face of his monstrous burgeoning celebrity. With both of his feet planted firmly on the ground, he seemed to be facing the publicity with stoic resolve. Goodnight, Heath. You were a good bloke.

"A sad fan" in Chicago, Illinois
I was an extra in the movie "Dark Knight," which filmed in Chicago this past summer. I spend an entire weekend on set with Heath. He was rather quiet most of the time between takes, but seemed to be a nice, likeable guy. It was great to watch him work, as he was very committed to his craft. His death is a great loss.

Kelly Fishburne of West Palm Beach, Florida
I met Heath Ledger while working in Atlanta. We both were taking a CNN tour. He was silly, smiling all the time and we spoke about horses and riding lessons. He was also talking about the movie the Patriot he filmed with Mel Gibson. He had to do lots of riding. He was down to earth and so very talkative. Just a normal guy, hanging out. A real gentleman.

Jessi Lee of Central, South Carolina
I really enjoyed Heath's acting. His best movie was my favorite movie of 2005, "Lords Of Dogtown." Heath played the somewhat obnoxious Skip Engblom, but thinking of all the other actors who could have taken the roll, I don't think anyone could have done it better.

Even two of the original Zephyr shop boys themselves. Tony Alva & Stacy Peralta, said when Heath came in & did the voice he would use in the film, it was like hearing Skip from the past.

Offline Emzan

• Jack + Ennis
  • I Miss You My Beautiful Baby
« Reply #542 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:05 PM »
I don't know what to do, all I do Is cry, I can't belive this is happening :\'( :\'(
Nuke the EFF on!!

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
« Reply #543 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:06 PM »
I can't help thinking that it is as if Ennis had died too, after Jack.

I know it is Heath, I know Ennis and Jack will remain in my heart forever, as Heath, but still I have this odd feeling... and it hurts.
"Texans don't drink coffee?"

Offline Emzan

• Jack + Ennis
  • I Miss You My Beautiful Baby
« Reply #544 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:08 PM »

I know it is Heath, I know Ennis and Jack will remain in my heart forever, as Heath, but still I have this odd feeling... and it hurts.

I have that feeling too :\'(
Nuke the EFF on!!

Offline JT

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #545 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:10 PM »

A Spanish song says that something dies in your soul when a friend is gone...Our souls today and for many time will be uncomplete,almost ill.        A great hug for everybody in the distance,that sometimes is the better place to feel love and friendship.     :ghug:     %)   all.

I feet that's true and what Thomas said was true too.  Today a part of our soul dies with him, but the other part will always live with him.

Offline lamusica

• Ennis
« Reply #546 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:11 PM »
The Dana Stevens piece sums up Heath's contributions as a great up and coming movie star, something we all are aware of.  She doesn't touch upon his greatness as a man.  As all brokies know, he was both a great actor and a great human being -- both of whom will be greatly missed by us all.  I wish I knew how to quit crying!
   I can only hope his family has the chance to read this thread someday.  It would make them very proud to know in what esteem so many people hold their son/brother/father.  God bless our lovely boy!
"Let's put a SSSSMILE on your faceeee!"

Offline titabeille

• Any friend of yours is a friend of mine
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, I swear...
« Reply #547 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:14 PM »

Friends, it does not matter to me whether or not Heath died due to an intentional overdose, or whether or not he had drug problems.

Well said Thomas, that is not most important.  There was and will remain the marvellous one in Brokeback Mountain  :ghug:
It could be like this, always like this....
Sometimes I miss you so much, I can't understand it.

As you get old you begin to wonder-
what was all that lightning and thunder
actually about ? (Gavin Ewart)

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #548 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:15 PM »
For those who wish to see a vid of the makeshift memorial to Heath, go to:

http://www.ketknbc.com/home/ticker/14077182.html

-----------------------------------------------------

Memorial grows outside Ledger's apartment
By Lacy Ledford
KETK News

Story Created: Jan 23, 2008 at 12:59 PM CST
Story Updated: Jan 23, 2008 at 12:59 PM CST

NEW YORK - Today a makeshift memorial is growing on the sidewalk outside Heath Ledger's apartment. People are leaving flowers, cards, candles and other mementos to honor the late actor.

28-year-old Ledger was found dead inside his apartment Tuesday afternoon. More tests will be needed to determine what caused his death. The New York medical examiner's office says an autopsy is
inconclusive.

Offline JT

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #549 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:16 PM »

You're not alone.  It's as if the movie and reality blend in together.  I feel great sadness and emptiness at the same time.  It's making me sick.

Offline titabeille

• Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, I swear...
« Reply #550 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:18 PM »
Heath is a part of this link which connect us together to each other.

I do hope he had time to realize what he achieved in his life.
And I hope this connexion of people around the world, gathering for unsterstanding, love and compasion will ease his daughter pain one day...

I agree with you Seb  O0  He is a link between all of us  :ghug:

babytammy7

« Reply #551 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:20 PM »
Crystal Davis of Toronto, Ontario
I met Heath in L.A. at a mall a year or so ago. I was staring at him working up the nerve to ask for an autograph. He saw me, started laughing and walked towards me. He said I was white as an "egg" and asked if he could do anything. I said, No thanks ... yes I forgot to ask for the autograph. He touched my shoulder and told me to take it easy and walked away. He looked back several times and smiled. What a great memory I have of him. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Kristy O'Connor of Sydney, Australia
My heart goes out to Heath's family and little Matilda, I met Heath one time at a prenatal yoga class in Sydney with Michelle and was in awe of his devotion and attention to her. He was a true gentleman and I'm sure an amazing father. To make assumptions as to how or why he died is to bring more pain to an already devastated family.

Dan Bova of Larchmont, New York
Once when I was driving in Brooklyn, I got a flat tire. As I was jacking up my car, this deep voice from behind me said, "Need a hand?" It was Heath Ledger. I couldn't believe it. He helped jack up my car and change the tire. He was really good with tools!

:\'(  :\'(  :\'( He was indeed a so sweet, loving and caring gentleman.

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #552 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:27 PM »
So many more posts since I was here last night, haven't had time to read them all.
 For all brokies :ghug:
"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #553 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:33 PM »

Thank God Heath completed TDK.  But I fear for Parnassus.  They should find a way...

http://www.dose.ca/movies/story.html?id=1d3054c4-ae5b-4935-a11d-b4ff66c35943&k=88776

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heath Ledger's Death to Affect Dark Knight, Terry Gilliam Film
Ben Carrozza
Published: Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Heath Ledger's sudden and tragic death on Tuesday (Jan. 22) will have varying effects on his final two film projects.

According to AintItCoolNews.com, Ledger had completed all work on the upcoming Batman Begins sequel, The Dark Knight, where he played the villainous Joker. Site founder Harry Knowles, citing a "source involved in post-production" on the Christopher Nolan film, wrote, "Heath's post work was complete. He had indeed finished it."

While Ledger's work on The Dark Knight itself was complete, it was assumed his role in its marketing campaign would have increased in significance as the film's July 18 release approached. Much of the movie's marketing has revolved around the Joker, from cryptic websites that revealed exclusive photos of Ledger as the character, to Joker-themed posters and guerilla marketing.

"The Joker character is dealing with chaos and life and death and a lot of dark themes," Variety quoted a studio insider as saying. "Everyone is going to interpret every line out of his mouth in a different way now."

Warner Bros. executives and spokespeople have yet to comment on how Ledger's death will affect the film.

"The studio is stunned and devastated by this tragic news," Alan Horn, president-COO, Warner Bros. and Jeff Robinov, president, Warner Bros. Pictures Group said in a joint statement. "Heath was a brilliant actor and an exceptional person."

The future of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, the film Ledger was working on at the time of his death, is in greater turmoil.

The Terry Gilliam-directed independent film had wrapped its London shoot on Jan. 19 and was preparing to begin production in Vancouver, where they were due to film until March. The film's producers have yet to release a statement on whether or not they plan to continue without Ledger.

Ledger's involvement in Imaginarium was reportedly key to the film's financing.

Offline titabeille

• Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, I swear...
« Reply #554 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:35 PM »
I hope nothing changes here.

I am thinking of starting a tradition.  If Heath were buried here in the US, it would be nice to send flowers to his grave every year on the anniversaries of his birth and death, as I did for Chopin in Paris for a number of years, while I had a friend there who was willing to do it for me.

I hope too dear Thomas, nothing changes, but the things are growing  ^f^

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #555 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:37 PM »
Good NYtimes piece on him
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/24/movies/24appr.html?hp

You know I know this is about Heath and not Ennis but I was just thinking about the sensitivity and artistry that went into that performance.  How careful it was, how respectful. 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #556 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:40 PM »

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Satellite/london/news/article/1157150372082?packedargs=suffix%3DArticleController

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Michelle Williams flies in to New York as celebrity tributes pour in
Wednesday, 23 January 2008
Heath Ledger's  former fiancee was due to arrive in New York as his death continues to cause shock-waves around the world.

Hollywood stars including Nicole Kidman and Cate Blanchett, the Australian Prime Minister and friends including Helena Christensen have led the tributes flooding in today.

Heath was found dead in a New York apartment yesterday afternoon after a suspected overdose.

Today his devastated family said he would never have committed suicide and his death was an accident.

His former fiancée Michelle Williams quit a film set in Sweden and flew to New York with their daughter, after hearing about his death.

"She's devastated," said a source close to the 27 year old Dawson's Creek star and mother of Heath's two-year-old daughter Matilda.

"I can't believe Matilda is going to grow up without a dad, without knowing her father and that Michelle will have to deal with having a daughter without a father," the source told People magazine.

Australia mourns
Nicole Kidman and Cate Blanchett led tributes which poured in for Heath Ledger today.

They said the Aussie star, who was found dead in a New York apartment last night after a suspected overdose,  was a dreadful loss for someone with so much potential.

Helena Christensen on way to flat
Model Helena Christensen, who was close to the star, was on her way to meet him at his apartment when she heard the news of his death.

She had left a message on his phone just before she learned he was dead. "I am just beyond sad at this point, and shocked," she told Women's Wear Daily."I was on my way over to pay him a visit when I found out."

Nicole Kidman said: “What a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to Heath’s family.”

Naomi Watts, one of Kidman’s closest friends, dated Ledger for two years from 2002. She is reportedly shattered and has cancelled all publicity for an upcoming film.

Blanchett, who co-starred with Ledger in the Oscar-nominated Bob Dylan biopic, I'm Not There, said she was “shocked and saddened” by the news.

She added: “I deeply respect Heath’s work and always admired his continuing development as an artist. My thoughts are with his family and close friends.”

His death has been a major blow to Australia where new  Prime Minister Kevin Rudd who described him as one of the country's "finest actors".

Other Australian stars also spoke to their sadness.

Mel Gibson said:  “I had such great hope for him.”

“He was just taking off and to lose his life at such a young age is a tragic loss. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.”

Geoffrey Rush, who starred with Ledger in the Australian film Candy, said the actor’s passing was a “tragedy”. He said: “This is such a sad event. I admired Heath enormously.”

He added: “He was such a sensitive and committed and daring actor. This is truly a tragedy. I send my condolences to his family and friends and colleagues.”

He was in the prime of his life
Rudd said: “It was with great sadness that I have learned of the passing of Heath Ledger. It is tragic that we have lost one of our nation’s finest actors in the prime of his life. Heath Ledger’s diverse and challenging roles will be remembered as some of the great performances by an Australian actor.”

Rose Byrne, a Hollywood contemporary of Ledger’s who co-starred in Two Hands, said she would “never forget his spirit”.

She added: “Heath was an enigmatic, wonderful and endlessly generous friend and colleague.

“His passing is deeply tragic and my thoughts and love go out to his friends and family in Perth and in New York.”

Former headmaster
Headmaster Robert Zordan, of Guildford Grammar School, where the star attended said: "One of the great things about him as a person was that with all the stardom and with all the lights that were focused on him, it was with a degree of humility and loyalty that he remained very, very closely in touch with many of his peers from his particular year group.

“I know for example that when his friends from schooldays were in New York he would be a very, very generous and loyal host, often putting them up in his own home.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #557 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:40 PM »
Sorry guys, I can't read the posts, this is too distressing. My poor, poor Heath, I can't stand to think about it anymore  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #558 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:43 PM »
Sorry guys, I can't read the posts, this is too distressing. My poor, poor Heath, I can't stand to think about it anymore  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

:\'(

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #559 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:44 PM »
Good NYtimes piece on him
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/24/movies/24appr.html?hp

You know I know this is about Heath and not Ennis but I was just thinking about the sensitivity and artistry that went into that performance.  How careful it was, how respectful. 

Yes, I planned to post it this morning, but somehow forgot...  Thanks so much Toadily!

Offline titabeille

• Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, I swear...
« Reply #560 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:47 PM »

Ethan sent me this picture on my cellphone, he just took it front of Heath's flat :\'(

Thank you Cham to post that pic...  I pray for him, I am so sad  :\'( :\'(  as you my dear .
Ethan represents us  :ghug:

Offline guyinjax

• musician
  • Lureen
  • Ennis Del Mar is my hero
« Reply #561 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:01 PM »
If ever the Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Sciences would award Best Actor posthumously, it should be this year, and it should go to Heath Ledger, who should have won it in 2006.  :clap: :c) :cr)
Ennis Del Mar is my hero!

babytammy7

« Reply #562 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:09 PM »
What is hitting me so bad is that everything I read is full of "was" or "had". That is so new, so strange and so sad.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #563 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:09 PM »
If ever the Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Sciences would award Best Actor posthumously, it should be this year, and it should go to Heath Ledger, who should have won it in 2006.  :clap: :c) :cr)

He didn't?

I don't care what that "Academy" says.  He was Best Actor for 2006 in my book.

babytammy7

« Reply #564 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:13 PM »
He didn't?

I don't care what that "Academy" says.  He was Best Actor for 2006 in my book.

Yeah Thomas, he "was" the best actor.  :\'(  :\'(

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #565 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:13 PM »
I'm still finding it hard to deal with the fact that Heath is dead. The words just dont make sense.  How could he die so young with so much to live for?

I've been reading all the comments and they have helped me enormously to know that there are people all over the world who are feeling what I'm feeling and this is a wonderful place to come to, to try and deal with the loss of a wonderful man.  :ghug:
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #566 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:15 PM »

http://blog.canoe.ca/canoedossier/2008/01/23/the_last_time_i_saw_heath

----------------------------------------

The Last Time I Saw Heath
Jan 23, 2008

Veteran Sun columnist and reviewer Jane Stevenson kindly agreed to contribute this moving recollection of her last encounter with the late Heath Ledger to the Canoe Dossier.

Interviewing Heath Ledger at a press conference for the non-linear Bob Dylan bio-pic, I’m Not There, last November in New York City you couldn’t have told me he’d been dead three short months later.

Although I’d heard the young Aussie wasn’t what we in the biz call “press friendly,” he turned out to be a funny, thoughtful, articulate and playful interview subject even if his movie star handsomeness was a bit scruffy looking on this particular day.Sandwiched between I’m Not There director Todd Haynes and co-stars Marcus Carl Franklin and Canadian Bruce Greenwood, behind a podium in a conference room at The Regency Hotel on a sunny Sunday in The Big Apple, perhaps there was safety in numbers, or he was pleased with the film,
or just having a good day. Who knows?

Ledger even played with his reputation as a non-cooperative interview subject following Haynes’ opening lengthy explanation that you didn’t have to be a Dylan fan to appreciate the movie.

“I agree,” Ledger said quietly into a microphone in front of him to laughs before elaborating. “It is a movie, it’s not a quiz, there is no Q&A after, and quite frankly I think the less you know the better off you’re going to be because you’re not going to be straining yourself and trying to digest line of dialogue.” said Ledger. “Just kind of strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.”

Now the big question is was Ledger enjoying his ride in life.

On this day he seemed to be, even chiding a reporter in the front row with his eyes closed.“Wake up!” Ledger yelled to more laughs from the 50 or so reporters assembled. “I know I’m boring but give me a break.”

The general perception - and I don’t pretend to be an expert in his personal life - was that he was sad following the breakup of his relationship to his Brokeback Mountain co-star Michelle Williams, the mother of his now two-year-daughter Matilda, just a few months earlier in September.

But when someone asked him how he related to his I’m Not There character as a dad, he quipped: “The same as if I wasn’t a dad.”

With a reputation as a “serious actor” who thoroughly immersed himself in his roles, he also proved to be a magnanimous about the acting talents of his co-stars, particularly the astonishing performance of fellow Aussie Cate Blanchett as “electric-era” Dylan, who earned an Oscar nomination on the same day as Ledger’s lifeless, naked body was discovered in a Soho loft. “I sucked,” he joked of his own portrayal at the press conference.

In an interview at the Toronto International Film Festival last September, Haynes told me of Ledger’s lack of ego, picking up a best actress award on Blanchett’s behalf at the Venice Film Festival. “Heath stayed in Venice for the award ceremony just to stick around, just to support the film,” said Haynes. “He read (Cate’s) thank-you speech. She wasn’t able to come at all, so he accepted the award for her.”

The bottom line seems to Ledger was kind.

And, apparently, really into music.One of the surprising things in all the Tuesday night coverage of Ledger’s life was that he was a business partner with musician Ben Harper.“Music - I mean on so many levels it has affected my life and still continues to,” Ledger said at the press conference.“Music, particularly, the voice singing, songwriter’s, poets, Dylan, whoever, to me, it’s such a pure expression or song from the soul that it likes deeply connects to mine and it’s always been a key that kind of unlocked or enabled me to express anger or pains of any sort, so it’s always been a wonderful excuse, or a door-opener for me, in terms of being able to express creatively and personally.

“I was definitely a fan of Dylan,” he added later in the press conference. ”But I think Dylan was definitely someone I had scheduled somewhat in the future, down the line, to become obsessed by ‘cause I do get obsessed with people, musicians and artists, but I think Todd prematurely invited me into this obsession on this film.”

Turns out to be a good thing Haynes did.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #567 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:21 PM »

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2008/01/23/jonathan-kay-on-the-passing-of-heath-ledger-and-the-unsettling-brilliance-of-his-signature-2005-performance-in-brokeback-mountain.aspx

------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathan Kay on the passing of Heath Ledger — and the unsettling brilliance of his signature 2005 performance in Brokeback Mountain
Posted: January 23, 2008, 1:38 PM by Jonathan Kay

"I tell ya there... there were these two old guys ranched up together, down home. Earl and Rich. And they was the joke of town, even though they were pretty tough ol' birds. Anyway they... they found Earl dead in an irrigation ditch."

Brokeback Mountain, Heath Ledger's masterpiece, has been Youtubed, South Parked, Family Guyed and Saturday Night Lived so many times, that it is sometimes difficult to recall what an astonishingly good film it was. Had Brokeback been the only film he'd ever made, we would still properly be mourning the loss of one of the world's great actors.

Brokeback is too often pigeon-holed as a gay love story. (Wikipedia describes it as "an Academy Award-winning 2005 romantic drama film that depicts the complex romantic and sexual relationship between two men in the American West from 1963 to 1983.") But the homosexuality in the movie was incidental to a larger theme: the random cruelty of the human condition, a condition that allows outside forces to destroy the lives of even the toughest men.

In the case of Ennis del Mar (Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal), the force that destroyed them was in their genes: They were gay men living in a homophobic world. When they were true to their love, they lived in a tiny snowglobe of ecstasy. But everywhere else, they were lonely men living a lie.

Some of the most exquisite vignettes from the movie come when those two world collide. Three years after seeing the movie, I still remember the brief scene when Jack shows up for seasonal work at Brokeback — hoping to see Ennis again — and is turned away in humiliating fashion by the rancher who knew their secret. ("You boys sure found a way to make the time pass up there. Twist, you guys wasn't gettin' paid to leave the dogs babysittin' the sheep while you stem the rose.") Outwardly, these men are the very embodiment of western ruggedness — especially Ennis, whose bar-fight brutality escalates in accordance with the shame he feels about his sexuality. But inside, they are train wrecks. And Ang Lee deserved the Best Director awards he got for letting that wreckage play out without any sort of deus ex machina or romantic Hollywood gloss.

But the wreckage in the film is not really about gay love, or even love itself. It is about powerlessness. Fiddle with the plot, and it would be easy for artists of equal caliber to make essentially the same film about men addicted to alcohol, or drugs, or gambling, or suffering illness, or who fall hopelessly in love with the wrong woman. When Jack famously says to Ennis " I wish I knew how to quit you," the you could be anything.

This is why so many people who aren't gay, and care nothing for Western vistas and cowboy flicks, were so affected by Brokeback. None of us have control of our lives. The movie is about whatever uncontrollable force we stay up at night worrying about. As in every great film, we read ourselves into it.

In my particular case, Brokeback became a film about failed fatherhood. Both Ennis and Jack marry and have kids. Jack manages to cobble together an outwardly respectable middle-class family life, even as his marriage deteriorates into a business relationship. But Ennis can't manage the act, and his life spirals into poverty and dysfunctionality as he throws everything away for the few chances he gets be with Jack. In one scene — the one that will leap into my mind every time I think of Ledger's acting career — Ennis barges into the grocery store where his wife has taken a job to make ends meet. He's got the kids with him, and tells his wife Cassie she's got to mind them so he can go off on one of his short-notice "fishing trips" with Jack. He shoves the bewildered kids at his wife and then takes off. Everything about him shows that he knows that what he's doing is wrong, irresponsible, bizarre — but he can't fight it any more than a heroin junkie can fight the needle.

It's a wrenching scene that plays to every man's worst fears about his own abilities as a father. Will he do right by his wife and children — provide for them, stick around, be a role model — come what may? Or will forces outside of his control — or controllable only with a willpower he cannot muster — conspire to make him a failure? That's the scene that broke me. And it did so because Ledger was a brilliant enough actor to sell it.

The circumstances of Ledger's death this week are murky. We don't know yet whether he committed suicide with sleeping pills, or merely took too many of them, in the wrong combination, by accident. But the interviews he gave in late 2007 suggest a tormented man — to the point he could barely sleep. I don't want to psychoanalyze a man I don't know, or proffer facile analogies between his own life and that of his signature screen character. But when I heard the news of Ledger's death, my mind immediately reached to Ennis' grim outlook on life. However, successful, or happy, or tough a lot of us may be on the outside, there is always — always — a vulnerability within that threatens to drag us down.

In Ledger's case, whatever it was took with it not only a man many decades too young to die, but an extraordinary actor who rendered one of the truly great screen acting performances of his generation. 

Offline cowgirlKt!

• Alma
  • brokeback dreaming....
« Reply #568 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:24 PM »

i feel the same too :-\\ god all day its all i can think about and after i found out at about 6.30am this morning i even dreamt of being with sum other people and us all being upset about it! :\'( i cant get it out my head. :-\\ Past few weeks ive been enjoying the happiness and joy brokeback mountain gives me, feeling it run thru my veins, but now all i feel is sadness. :\'( I pray that the sadness will reduce soon and that i and everyone else, will feel what Heath would have wanted us to feel, happiness,proudness and love for him, his work and our fav movie of ours ...from that film his memory will live on in our hearts and Jack and Ennis will always be forever in our hearts as the film is forever whatever happens. Love and hugs to everyone at this difficult sad time :ghug:

Offline cowgirlKt!

• Alma
  • brokeback dreaming....
« Reply #569 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:29 PM »
 :^^) :t) thanks tpe for that you posted it sums up alot and very relavant for us on this site. its a good piece of writing