Author Topic: Annie Proulx on Brokeback Mountain  (Read 5372 times)

Offline WildCatIsle

• Joy, that near to me remains
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I'm sorry (I love you) It's alright (I love you)
Annie Proulx on Brokeback Mountain
« on: May 30, 2011, 03:01 PM »

Melbourne in March 2011

Offline chowhound

• Lureen
Re: Annie Proulx on Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:00 PM »

Melbourne in March 2011

Many thanks, WildcatIsle, for posting this recent video. Much of the material is, by now, fairly well known but it's good to hear it again in Annie's own very distinctive voice.

However, I hadn't realized that Judy Becker - I assume that's the person Annie  is referring to when she mentions the "production manager" - had taken so many location shots in Wyoming so that the film could be made to look as though it was in Wyoming and I'd never heard about the late intervention of one of the New York producers who wanted the language altered to make it more "understandable". Heavens be praised that Annie Proulx and Larry McMurtry successfully opposed such a terrible suggestion.

It looks as though AP's Canadian geography is somewhat shaky as she appears to believe that the movie was shot in Saskatchewan rather than Alberta. Let me assure everybody that if the movie had been shot in Saskatchewan, then it would have been very "flat" indeed, as there's scarcely a hill let alone a mountain to be found in that province.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:24 PM by chowhound »

Offline WildCatIsle

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 03:55 PM »
You're welcome, chowhound  :)

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:48 PM »
Yes, thank you don WcI!

A longer version of the interview can be found here:
http://wheelercentre.com/videos/video/annie-proulx/
"I'm spurrin' his guts out! Wavin' to the girls in the stands! He's kickin' me to high heaven, but he don't jackboard me! No!" Jack

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2011, 09:24 AM »
I repeat the thanks,WcI ¡  :) It's more than interesting everything in rapport with our movie... <^(
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline WildCatIsle

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2011, 09:50 AM »
You're welcome, MPJ & rdx  :)

Offline Oregondoggie

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2011, 03:00 AM »
Little darlins,

Thursday night, I attended an evening with Annie Proulx, leading off the 2011-22012 season of Portland's Arts & Lectures.  A sold out house of over 2500.

In a relaxed and twinkling mood, Annie Proulx spoke for an hour about herself and her writing with an understandable emphasis on a new work under way whose theme is world-wide forest degradation. The loss of chestnuts, elms, butternuts, etc.. Then the microphones were opened up for questioning.

I was first: "Ms. Proulx," I said, "The Laramie Project, the play based on the murder of Matthew Shepard, has become a formidable vehicle against Gay bashing and hatred. I know you have said, unlike Charles Dickens, story telling trumps social issues, but given that Brokeback Mountain changed many lives, brought resolution to long lost love, would you bless a stage version that could be performed in rural colleges and by local theater groups? If not, why not?"

With a big smile, she said at the moment no one except some Finns are interested. Then she looked at me. "If you are in theater, perhaps you can take on Brokeback Mountain!" (What? Me?)  She then went on to recall seeing the Laramie Project in the town of Laramie and the reaction of the local people.

After the program I caught her exiting the stage door giving her a post card from Hamley's Saddle Store. "In honor Ennis Del Mar," I said. (The catalog was the only thing Ennis liked to read.)  "Why I didn't know Hamleys was still around," she said grinning like the cheshire cat. "Sure is," I said. "Over in Pendleton.  Love Brokeback Mountain.  Like to leave copies in motels on top of the Gideon Bibles." We shook hands and she was off.