Author Topic: Book & Translate (French and other)  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Lost_Girl

• Ennis
  • If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it.
Book & Translate (French and other)
« on: Mar 03, 2006, 09:30 AM »
I read on some LJ the novel in English and I love it, of course.. !!

But in French.. well I don't know, It's not the same thing..  Hard to explain, anyway... For once the translate for book's end is lovely.. !

Anglais :
"Jack, I swear — " he said, though Jack had never asked him to swear anything and was himself not the swearing kind.

Around that time Jack began to appear in his dreams, Jack as he had first seen him, curly-headed and smiling and bucktoothed, talking about getting up off his pockets and into the control zone, but the can of beans with the spoon handle jutting out and balanced on the log was there as well, in a cartoon shape and lurid colors that gave the dreams a flavor of comic obscenity. The spoon handle was the kind that could be used as a tire iron. And he would wake sometimes in grief, sometimes with the old sense of joy and release; the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets.

There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Français:
"Jack, je te jure..." dit-il, bien que Jack ne lui êut jamais demandé de jurer quoi que ce soit, et que lui-même ne fût pas du genre à jurer.

C'est envrion à cette époque que Jack commença à apparaitre dans ses rêves, Jack tel qu'il l'avait vu la première fois, les cheveux bouclés, avec son sourire, ses dents en avant, parlant de se ranger des voitures, mais il y avais la boîte de haricots aussi, le manche de la cuilère qui en sortait, en équilibre sur un rondin, avec une forme et des couleurs de bande dessiné qui donnaient à ses rêves une atmosphère bizarrement obscène. Le manche de la cuillère ressemblait à un démonte-pneu. Il se réveillait tantôt plein de chagrin, tantôt avec la sensation de joie et d'apaisement qu'il avait connue autrefois; son oreiller parfois mouillé, parfois les draps.

Il y avais une espace incetain entre ce qu'il savait et ce qu'il voulait croire, mais il n'y pouvais rien, et quand on ne peut rien y faire il faut vivre avec.

Does anyone read the book, on different language ?

Ps: I read the script too, it's very interesting ! [/color]
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BAD IT GETS !!!!

"There are places we can never return"
"When you ain't got nothing, you don't need nothing"

Icon by meowwwwwww

Offline monicita

• Jack
Re: Book & Translate (French and other)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Lost_Girl,

loved your French version of the ending. Somehow very romantic. But I agree, I just can't imagine either the story or the movie in any other language very well. I'll tell everybody to go see the subtitled version here in Germany.
Love is a many splendoured thing...

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
  • " You know I ain't queer!"
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2006, 03:58 PM »
Lost Girl,
Beautiful post! I don't read French well enough to read the entire story and understand it, but the final passage quoted there is quite moving. Thanks for sharing that.
Jack: " Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar."

Offline Pierre

• Time to hit the hay, cowboy...
  • Alma Jr.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2006, 04:00 PM »
As my language is french, I must say the translation in french is very good, exact. I have just the feeling the translater didn't dare to push the dialogues enough to popular language maybe. Anyway, for me, the french one seems a little heavy. French is so. Not the translarer's fault.
I use the translation if I don't get a word or an expression but I read the english one... the sound of the words ... a prayer to me... specially the end you posted Lost Girl. Also the beginning:
" He might have to stay with his married daughter until he picks up another job, yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.
The stale coffee is boiling up but he catches it before it goes over the side, pours it into a stained cup and blows on the black liquid, lets a panel of the dream slide forward. If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong. The wind strikes the trailer like a load of dirt coming off a dump truck, eases, dies, leaves a temporary silence."
Un parfum d'éternité dans ces lignes. Perfection.
Well, I am french, trying my best in english but quotes from bilinguals would be much more helpful.
Pierre

Pierre

Offline Lost_Girl

• Ennis
  • If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2006, 04:06 PM »
You're welcome.  ;D

I'm French too Pierre.

Maybe, if I have free time, in few day... I'll  re-transcribe the French's book here. If it can interest someone.  ;)
Let me know.
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BAD IT GETS !!!!

"There are places we can never return"
"When you ain't got nothing, you don't need nothing"

Icon by meowwwwwww

Offline Koka

• Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2006, 11:26 AM »
well, I read the novel about 5 times in english and 3 ( or 4, I dunno, stopped countin ages ago ) times in croatian ( my mother tongue ;) ). and although the translation is indeed very good ( I was surprised at how good it was! ), I just can't bring myself to 'experience' brokeback in croatian, you know? the english version, the original version- that's the real thing, that's what gets me. Annie's words. her sentences. her way of telling the story. that's the thing that kinda gets lost along the way in translations....
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2006, 05:06 PM »
Hi Pierre, welcome here (another frenchie ^^ you can visit the french thread if you want)
To me the french translation is quite good. Actually the original version and the french one are very closed, and I appreciate that.
It's obviously better in english but it's easier for me to read in french, so.... I have both versions  ;D
"Texans don't drink coffee?"