Author Topic: "The Shirts" in the news  (Read 7677 times)

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
"The Shirts" in the news
« on: Mar 26, 2011, 04:40 PM »
The Winter 2011 edition of Convergence, a quarterly magazine published by the Autry National Center (where Ennis and Jack's shirts are on permanent display), has a nine-page story by Gregory Hinton about how the display came into being and comparing it to a display of Harvey Milk's clothes in San Francisco. The article is titled "Artifacts of Love and Violence: From Riverton to San Francisco". It's a fascinating account of how the display happened as well as a cultural overview of these sets of clothing icons and what they represent for the gay community. Ethan kindly found me a link for it:

http://bbmfoundation.org/images/Artifacts%20of%20Love%20and%20Violence%20-%20Hinton.pdf

Though I live 1,500 miles away I joined and support the Autry Museum solely because of their proactive support of this one display. To me the fact that these shirts are there, on display, for all to see is a tribute to them and of course to Tom Gregory who made it possible by his guardianship and loaning of the shirts. I'd encourage you to do the same, and let them know why.

A link to The Autry Museum of the American West
http://theautry.org/
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2011, 11:46 AM by jackster »
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline kitty

• Old Brokeback got me good
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Save a horse, ride a cowboy! Yeehaw!
Re: "The Shirts" in the news
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2011, 07:56 AM »
The Winter 2011 edition of Convergence, a quarterly magazine published by the Autry National Center (where Ennis and Jack's shirts are on permanent display), has a nine-page story by Gregory Hinton about how the display came into being and comparing it to a display of Harvey Milk's clothes in San Francisco. The article is titled "Artifacts of Love and Violence: From Riverton to San Francisco". It's a fascinating account of how the display happened as well as a cultural overview of these sets of clothing icons and what they represent for the gay community. Ethan kindly found me a link for it:

http://bbmfoundation.org/images/Artifacts%20of%20Love%20and%20Violence%20-%20Hinton.pdf

Though I live 1,500 miles away I joined and support the Autry Museum solely because of their proactive support of this one display. To me the fact that these shirts are there, on display, for all to see is a tribute to them and of course to Tom Gregory who made it possible by his guardianship and loaning of the shirts. I'd encourage you to do the same, and let them know why.

Is that the real deal? Wow! :d:

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2011, 10:49 PM »
jackster, thanks for the thread. It is an interesting article to read.

I have been to the museum and seen the shirts and I agree with what you said.

Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Thanks for sharing this so interesting article,Jackster ¡  :) I'd like to see the shirts by myself...some day ¡  ::)
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2011, 01:06 PM »
A great article! Thanks jackster and ethan too.
"I'm spurrin' his guts out! Wavin' to the girls in the stands! He's kickin' me to high heaven, but he don't jackboard me! No!" Jack