Author Topic: What's your favorite line/quotation from the Short Story??  (Read 85555 times)

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
Re: What's your favorite line/quotation from the Short Story??
« Reply #90 on: Dec 01, 2006, 02:44 AM »
if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
« Reply #91 on: Dec 01, 2006, 06:13 AM »
LuvJackNasty thank you for your post - to one of my burning questions..
i do understand better now what may be the sense of this part - jack knowing and accepting who he was, and ennis not being able to.
"jack i swear" is truly one of the most powerful - and sad - lines in the story..

thank you . :^^)
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline dodoLea

• Brokeback got us good
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #92 on: Dec 31, 2006, 09:22 AM »
"There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you’ve got to stand it."
This is my favourite one, because, as for Ennis there are some open space between what I know and what I try to believe,I mean both for E&J story and "my" own story,  so this line is the best for me
"if you can't fix it you’ve got to stand it."
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2007, 10:19 AM by dodoLea »
If we make a poem of celebration,it has to include a lot of darkness for it to be real - Robert Hass
http://www.myspace.com/dodolea

Offline Mars

• Red Planet
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal 2 actors 1 legend
« Reply #93 on: Jan 02, 2007, 10:56 AM »
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had comeup behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

I like this line.
It is a lyrical one, and a superb one in the movie too.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #94 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:01 AM »
Ironically, I think my favorite quotes are the saddest ones. There are some quotes that are so achingly beautiful, they rip my heart to pieces. like the final line, right from "and he would wake sometimes in grief..." 'till the end, or the line about Ennis not wanting to know that Jack was going to be buried in the grieving plain. :\'( :\'( :\'( It's written like poetry, and totally heart-wrenching. Or the dozy embrace quote that I chose for my latest signature. but I think that this one, most of all, breaks my heart:

"He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which notheing was left but what he held in his hands."
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #95 on: Jan 20, 2007, 10:43 AM »
Same here Keren  :\'(
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline boo_boo

• Jack + Ennis
  • Never enough lip & tongue, never enough.
« Reply #96 on: Jan 21, 2007, 11:36 AM »
"He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which notheing was left but what he held in his hands."

:\'( :\'( :\'(
“Ennis, on a good day it’s hard to understand ya…but when you’re talkin into my ass…I really got no idea what the f*ck you’re saying.” - Missing Motel Moments by haunted_by_bbm

Offline jacks_key

• Jack + Ennis
  • We'll always have Brokeback...
« Reply #97 on: Jan 25, 2007, 11:03 AM »
Ironically, I think my favorite quotes are the saddest ones. There are some quotes that are so achingly beautiful, they rip my heart to pieces. like the final line, right from "and he would wake sometimes in grief..." 'till the end, or the line about Ennis not wanting to know that Jack was going to be buried in the grieving plain. :\'( :\'( :\'( It's written like poetry, and totally heart-wrenching. Or the dozy embrace quote that I chose for my latest signature. but I think that this one, most of all, breaks my heart:

God...there are no words... :\'(
Heath Ledger: 1979-2008
Never enough time, never enough.

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
« Reply #98 on: Jan 26, 2007, 02:24 PM »
after all this reading and watching and comparing text..

this is my quote - i feel this is the crux of it all..

"That summer when we split up after we got paid out I had gut cramps so bad I pulled over and tried to puke.. took me about a year a figure out it was that I shouldn't let you out a my sights. Too late then by a long.."

tizi
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #99 on: Jan 28, 2007, 09:48 AM »
Another one that I love, from the reunion:

"He could smell Jack - the intensely familiar odor of cigarettes, musky sweat and a faint sweetness like grass, and with it the rushing cold of the mountain".

I love it that the mountain became a part of them, so much that Ennis can smell it in Jack.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #100 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:36 PM »
I'm not going to put the whole line:

"Around that time Jack began to appear in his dreams, Jack as he had first seen him, curly headed and smiling and bucktoothed...." Just made me start to think that once Ennis brought him home, Jack was able to return to Brokeback where he was young, happy and in love- his death brought him back to the place he could never get back to in life.  :\'(
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #101 on: Jan 30, 2007, 03:35 PM »
This line always makes me so sad LJN, that now Ennis can only see Jack in his dreams, and to know how much he misses him... :\'(

Offline The Artifact

• Ennis
  • "...said Jack, trembling like a run-out horse."
« Reply #102 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:16 PM »
"He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands."

Such a hard job to find only one line that resume the huge beauty of Proulx's writing! By the way, if I have to choose, I think I'd choose this quotation. Could anyone not be moved to tears reading that?
"I've always had lots of dreams when I sleep. The dreams have always been about the future. The future in my dreams was always bright. A future brimming with hope and peace. So I've always loved to sleep."

(Nimura's character in Bright Future, by Kiyoshi Kurosawa)

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #103 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:23 PM »
" His chest was heaving. He could smell Jack ~the intensely familiar odor of cigarettes,
musky sweat and a faint sweetness like grass, and with it the rushing cold of
the mountain
. "Alma," he said, "Jack and me ain't seen each other in four
years."
Sigh...

Artifact-That is what he remembered, the mountain and love.
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline The Artifact

• Ennis
  • "...said Jack, trembling like a run-out horse."
« Reply #104 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:42 PM »
Ya hpv...
Above all, is that "imagined power of Brokeback Mountain" which make me cry... In only two words Proulx focus all the meaning of a life (of two lifes): the power of what was born up there on the Brokeback and, on the other hand, the impraticability of a dream: the illusion that summer could repeat. Marvellous.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2007, 07:48 PM by The Artifact »
"I've always had lots of dreams when I sleep. The dreams have always been about the future. The future in my dreams was always bright. A future brimming with hope and peace. So I've always loved to sleep."

(Nimura's character in Bright Future, by Kiyoshi Kurosawa)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #105 on: Feb 17, 2007, 08:12 AM »
Ya hpv...
Above all, is that "imagined power of Brokeback Mountain" which make me cry... In only two words Proulx focus all the meaning of a life (of two lifes): the power of what was born up there on the Brokeback and, on the other hand, the impraticability of a dream: the illusion that summer could repeat. Marvellous.

I couldn't agree more - this part always moves me to tears.

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #106 on: Mar 06, 2007, 08:08 AM »
The shirts..

his dirty shirt, the pocket ripped, buttons missing, stolen by Jack and hidden here inside Jack's own shirt,
the pair like two skins, one inside the other, two in one.  :\'(
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

Offline Philip Smith

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #107 on: Mar 07, 2007, 05:12 PM »
My favorite quote is would be stated by Ennis: "if you can't fix it you've got to stand it." This quote is really meaningful and very true to REAL life.
Such a very beautiful wonderful yet a really sad touching story.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #108 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:17 PM »

"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

jackster
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline Ty

• El Queso
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #109 on: Jun 19, 2007, 03:31 AM »
One of my favorites was when Ennis told Lureen We herded sheep on Brokeback one summer. To me, it seemed like Ennis was in his own way telling Lureen that was where he fell in love with Jack without saying it.  It was the closest Ennis ever came to expressing his feelings for Jack openly.
Lucille: I don't have the milk of mother's kindness in me anymore.

Michael: That utter's been dry for a while now...

Jack-"Ain’t our fault. This ain’t wrong Ennis, don’t care what anybody think this ain’t wrong." 
No, it ain’t wrong; ‘cause if this ain’t right—if this here thing ain’t right, then nothin’ in the whole world is right; no, nothin’ atall. -delmarPainting

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #110 on: Jun 19, 2007, 06:45 AM »
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected. Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

"Jesus Christ, quit hammerin and get over here.
   Bedroll's big enough,"

Offline lamusica

• Ennis
« Reply #111 on: Jun 28, 2007, 06:00 PM »
after all this reading and watching and comparing text..

this is my quote - i feel this is the crux of it all..

"That summer when we split up after we got paid out I had gut cramps so bad I pulled over and tried to puke.. took me about a year a figure out it was that I shouldn't let you out a my sights. Too late then by a long.."

tizi

This is one of my very favorite lines because it was the scene with Ennis's agony in the shed that made me realize the first time I saw the film that Ennis was really in love with Jack.  What they had had on Brokeback was not just sex and companionship, but something much more profound.  When we share in Ennis's utter heartbreak, we know for sure that the force of nature was love, nothing less.
"Let's put a SSSSMILE on your faceeee!"

Offline lamusica

• Ennis
« Reply #112 on: Jun 29, 2007, 06:13 PM »
Sorry!  That last paragraph above was mine.  I don't always do the quote thing correctly.  Mea culpa!  lamusica
"Let's put a SSSSMILE on your faceeee!"

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
  • " You know I ain't queer!"
« Reply #113 on: Aug 11, 2007, 02:15 PM »
" There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs and distant from tame ranch dogs barking in the dark hours. They believed themselves invisible..."

Little they know..  :(

I have to confess I don't have one absolute favorite; all of the quotes in this thread grab me at different times, but I love the part about just the two of them, looking down on the hawk's back and the lights of the crawling vehicles. Makes me think of Paradise.
Jack: " Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar."

Offline iamakashiMAN

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #114 on: Aug 12, 2007, 08:34 AM »
"And he would wake sometimes in grief, sometimes with the old sense of joy and release; the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets."
 :\'(
LOVE IS A FORCE OF NATURE

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #115 on: Aug 13, 2007, 12:07 PM »
Reading the quotes here is giving me a severe PBS. :\'(

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
  • " You know I ain't queer!"
« Reply #116 on: Aug 13, 2007, 08:48 PM »
Reading the quotes here is giving me a severe PBS. :\'(

But now at least I can smile through the tears-I don't see an emoticon for that-and I hope you can too.

Hugs,
david                   <^(
Jack: " Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar."

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #117 on: Aug 14, 2007, 12:55 PM »
Thank you David. it's such powerful writing. I change the lines I use for my signature from time to time because I just can't make up my mind which one moves me the most.

Offline HLJG

• Alma Jr.
  • Love is a force of nature.,.
« Reply #118 on: Aug 27, 2007, 06:28 AM »
"That summer, " said Ennis.  "When we split up after we got paid out I had gut cramps so bad I pulled over and tried to puke, thought I hate somethin bad at that place in Dubois.  Took me about a year a figure out it was that I shouldn't a let you out of my sight.  Too late then by a long, long while"

(too bad it wasn't in the movie  :-\\)

Agreed.
"We love who we love"

Offline HLJG

• Alma Jr.
  • Love is a force of nature.,.
« Reply #119 on: Aug 27, 2007, 06:37 AM »
I agree with you here keren_b.  I have cried upon reading that line.

I cry EVERYTIME I read that line. :\'( I've never known any story that uses language like this to hit you where it hurts no matter how many times you read it, even though you know it's coming and try and brace yourself for it.

That whole scene just does me in. It is so incredibly powerful.
When he looks out the window of Jack's bedroom and thinks that this is the only road that Jack ever saw as a child. And then, seeing the cemetery on the 'grieving plain' as he is leaving the Twist's home--and knowing that Jack's ashes would be buried there. 
"We love who we love"