Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 646962 times)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #1620 on: Apr 10, 2012, 01:46 PM »
This was posted online by Alex Withrow on Heath's birthday:

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

In Character Special Edition: Heath Ledger

I’ll never forget the moment I found out Heath Ledger had died. I was walking out of a night class, cutting across campus, when my dad sent me a text: “Heath Ledger found dead in apartment. No bullshit. All over the news.”

Once I got home and read every single news story I could find about Ledger’s death, I stepped away from the computer and allowed myself to be devastated. And after a few moments, I was hit with profound confusion. Why, I wondered, did I feel as though I’d just lost someone close to me? How could I have feelings of such loss over someone I never knew? And then another epiphany: I felt the way I did because I did know Ledger. Not in the real sense, but I knew him as a brooding, complicated figure that could forever imprint movie characters into minds.

I’m not disillusioned. I’m perfectly aware that loving an actor is in no way the same as loving a dear friend, but when you’ve invested your life into the art of film as irreversibly as I have, then a loss like Ledger’s seems as real as life.

Ledger would be 33 today, and if he was still alive, I’m sure his selectiveness in choosing roles would’ve merited a slew of other remarkable performances.  But since he’s gone, we’re left with what we’re left with, which is a rather immaculate body of work for one of the best, most in-tune actors of his or any generation.

Five Essential Roles
10 Things I Hate About You (1999)
Patrick

I’m no fan of romantic comedies, and finding a decent one that’s centered around teenagers is damn near impossible, but it is simply unfair to not draw attention to Ledger’s early performance as tough-guy Patrick in 10 Things I Hate About You. Sure, this movie is a perfectly decent compilation of teenage romantic pop garbage, but there was something about that guy with the long, curly hair that struck viewers. He was tall and dark and funny and real. He was, in a sense, far better than the material allowed him to be. And that song. He sang that song with such charm and wit and verve. He was someone we’d never seen before, and someone we couldn’t wait to see again.

Brokeback Mountain (2005)
Ennis Del Mar

After generating a few worthy performances in crap films, and a few worthy performances in worthy films, Ledger blew everyone away with his deeply controlled, ungodly conflicted turn as Ennis Del Mar is Ang Lee’s masterpiece, Brokeback Mountain.

From his first moment on screen, trying so hard to not stare at the forward Jack Twist, we know we’re in for something different. Everything Ennis does (or, more accurately, everything Ledger makes Ennis do) is done with the pretense of something else. That is, he is constantly pretending to be someone he’s not, and when we finally see the real Ennis (such as during the hard, passionate embrace he and Jack share after not seeing one another for years), we realize that Ennis is just a broken, lost little boy.

It’s a performance of remarkable, nearly unfounded restraint. Everything is in the emotion, the look, the subtle gesture. Ennis says very little, but he’s always speaking volumes. It’s a performance that will only become more celebrated over time, eventually joining the ranks of Brando in Streecar, De Niro in Raging Bull, Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon, and so on. It is, in a phrase, the role of a lifetime.

Candy (2006)
Dan

In Neil Armfield’s little-seen Australian wonder, Candy, Ledger and Abbie Cornish play people who are deeply in love –with one another, certainly, but also with heroin. The film chronicles the life and death of drug addiction – from the ecstatic highs, to the hellish lows.

Spilt rather ingeniously into three distinct segments titled Heaven, Earth and Hell, Candy conveys how a relationship based on the shared addiction to a substance is never meant to go anywhere but down. But the film, largely due to Ledger and Cornish’s flawless performances, isn’t necessarily a downer. Both Dan (Ledger) and Candy (Cornish) are extremely kind and considerate people, fully aware of their troubles and their inability to deal with said troubles.

I’ve always been surprised that Candy never got the full, proper attention it deserved. There’s a lot here that people are missing, which, in hindsight to how Ledger died, makes the whole experience that much more painful.

I’m Not There (2007)
Robbie Clark

In Todd Haynes’ never-seen-anything-like-it I’m Not There, Ledger encompasses one of the best, most accurate personifications of the Arrogant Actor that I’ve ever seen. Robbie Clark is a young, handsome, talented actor portraying folk sing Jack Rollins (played by Christian Bale) in a new biopic. The problem is, Robbie knows he’s young, handsome and talented, so when his latest film is a flop, he slowly begins to blame everyone else for his failures.

This includes his steadfast wife, Claire (a candid Charlotte Gainsbourg), who begins to recognize the man she married less and less with each passing day. As Robbie becomes more consumed by his own conceit, which eventually causes him to stray from his marriage, Ledger and Gainsbourg embark on a tragic, doomed battle of fleeting love. Capped by Ledger’s performance is a virtuoso scene in which Robbie, at lunch with Claire and another couple, goes into a random, misogynistic rant, the final point of which is women are incapable of being true artists.

It’s a spot-on performance of a callous, egotistic man who, when no one is looking, let’s subtle glimmers of kindness shine through.

The Dark Knight (2008)
The Joker

What’s to say about Ledger’s Oscar-winning performance as The Joker that hasn’t already been said? It’s a role of such unhinged villainy, that it will be forever idolized in pop culture. When people ask me how I personally rank this role, I typically respond by saying it is a performance that completely merits the hyperbolic praise it has, and will continue to, receive.

Highlighting just one scene in particular from this performance is a completely futile exercise. The fact is, every single moment Heath Ledger is on screen, we are completely unaware that Heath Ledger is on screen. The man embodied a monster and became the devil incarnate.

I would, however, be remiss if I failed to mention that the introduction of The Joker in this film (the lifting of the mask, the swelling of the music, the creepiness of the voice, the smiling of the face) is one of my favorite character introductions in film history. Impossible to shake.

The Best of the Best
Monster’s Ball (2001)
Sonny

While Ennis Del Mar may be his technical best, and The Joker his most iconic, the Heath Ledger performance I’ve always been most drawn to is his brief turn as Sonny in Monster’s Ball.

As the gentle, tender son to Billy Bob Thornton’s unforgiving, racist Hank, Ledger did what virtually every teen icon does: he attempted to be taken seriously, but he did it with such revere and self-control, that it became impossible to not take notice of him. Sure, 10 Things I Hate About You and A Knight’s Tale may have put him on the map, but Monster’s Ball proved that the kid from Australia wasn’t !@#$ around; he was here to act. He was here to be remembered.

Take, for instance, the scene in which Hank, Sonny and a few other prison guards walk a prisoner (played by Sean “Puffy” Combs) to his execution. If you watch Ledger’s face (I’m mean really watch it) then you’ll see that he’s a lost, scared shitless kid on the verge a breaking down. His initial downfall manifests itself with a momentary bout of nausea, but Sonny’s pain is decades deep.

Ledger’s final moment in this film is as moving as, well, his final moment in Brokeback Mountain. It’s shocking in its honesty and desperate in its sentiment. He was here to be remembered, all right, and remembered he is.

The article can be found here: http://www.andsoitbeginsfilms.com/2012/04/in-character-special-edition-heath.html
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2012, 01:55 PM by keren_b »
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #1621 on: Apr 12, 2012, 10:04 AM »
He was here to be remembered, all right, and remembered he is.Yes,and he will remembered as the great actor he was and missed as a great actor who could have given many others unforgettable roles to all of us :_( .Thank you for sharing this article,Keren ¡  :^^)
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1622 on: Apr 13, 2012, 02:30 AM »
spot on, wonderful tribute. thanks much for sharing keren.
four years, damn . . .
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1623 on: Apr 13, 2012, 09:24 AM »
What a great tribute, I loved reading it, thanks for posting Keren  :^^)

It's hard though, even now, to read about Heath in the past tense...... :_( :_( :_( :_(
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1624 on: Apr 13, 2012, 09:47 AM »

It's hard though, even now, to read about Heath in the past tense...... :_( :_( :_( :_(

I know. Sometimes I think I'll never get used to it.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #1625 on: Apr 17, 2012, 06:11 PM »

Ditto! 

I like his best of the best as Sonny.  It is because of this role Larry McMurtry spotted him and was sure he found the actor to play Ennis in BBM, all he needed was to convince the producers and the director, which he did, he was himself an executive producer for the movie and the co-writer of the screenplay as you know.  The rest his history.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tizi17

• Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
« Reply #1626 on: Apr 18, 2012, 03:57 AM »
thank you keren...  ^f^
what a great tribute - and so so so true...
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline Raisa

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1627 on: Apr 23, 2012, 09:27 AM »

Thank you for posting, Keren!
”It is said some lives are linked across time. Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages. Destiny.”

Prince of Persia
---------------------
"Jack, I swear -"  he said, though Jack had never asked him to swear anything and was himself not the swearing kind.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1628 on: May 31, 2012, 10:13 AM »
Can't remember if these have been posted before, although they're quite old. Both Cate Blanchett and Ryan Gosling paying tribute to Heath upon winning their awards in the Santa Barbara Film Festival. Ryan's speech was incredibly moving:

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #1629 on: May 31, 2012, 11:34 AM »
Thanks for posting, Keren. Very moving, indeed.
It could be like this - just like this - always

Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives. Annie Proulx

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ennis for Mr Brokeback 2007!!!
« Reply #1630 on: May 31, 2012, 01:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing your pic Asali x
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592)

Heath, I swear ...

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1631 on: Jun 01, 2012, 07:55 AM »
I hadn't seen those vids before Keren, thanks for posting.  They were very moving, and made more so because of being made as part of the Santa Barbara Film Festival, which we remember so well from when Heath attended.... :_( :_(
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1632 on: Jun 04, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Andrew Garfield remembers Ledger

Andrew Garfield often thinks about his late co-star Heath Ledger.

Heath passed away in his New York City apartment in January 2008, with his death ruled an accident caused by a toxic combination of prescription drugs.

Andrew had been working on The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus with Heath when he died. The star still can’t come to terms with the loss and wishes people would be more respectful about his friend.

“All I know is that I love him. I love him. And I think about him often,” he told UK magazine GQ. “And I get sick thinking about the speculation around his death. You know, that’s death. It’s the one thing that binds us all. It’s like, let it f**king rest!”

http://www.film-news.co.uk/show-news.asp?H=Andrew-Garfield-remembers-Ledger&nItemID=12049

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1633 on: Jun 04, 2012, 01:05 PM »
Video: Christian Bale Gets Emotional After Watching Heath Ledger in 'Dark Knight'

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00051149.html

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1634 on: Jun 04, 2012, 03:43 PM »
Video: Christian Bale Gets Emotional After Watching Heath Ledger in 'Dark Knight'

Thanks for sharing that, keren  :ghug:

Offline tizi17

• Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
« Reply #1635 on: Jun 06, 2012, 02:07 AM »

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00051149.html

he was shaken, wasn't he?  :-\\
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #1636 on: Jun 06, 2012, 03:56 AM »
Yes, he seems very moved :(
Heath was so amazing in The Dark Night.
Christian Bale was is co-star also in I'm not there.

Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives. Annie Proulx

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1637 on: Jun 06, 2012, 08:22 AM »
he was shaken, wasn't he?  :-\\

Yes, you could actually hear his voice crack.

Offline rimasworld

• Ennis
  • If ya can't fix it ya gotta stand it
« Reply #1638 on: Jun 09, 2012, 12:24 AM »
Loved reading the tributes. We all did know him in our own way didn't we?

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1639 on: Jun 10, 2012, 06:22 AM »
I know why I avoid this thread but omg.the tributes and
Film descriptions are still so heart breaking I wonder if I'll ever heal :-(

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Heath, I swear ...

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1640 on: Jun 10, 2012, 08:49 AM »
 :ghug: Froggy :ghug:

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1641 on: Jun 10, 2012, 11:11 AM »
:ghug: Froggy :ghug:

we are all in the same boat x

Heath, I swear ...

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1642 on: Jun 10, 2012, 12:35 PM »

Yes we are... xx

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #1643 on: Jul 16, 2012, 02:20 PM »

Yup!  :(  :ghug: to ya all.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1644 on: Jul 20, 2012, 12:14 PM »
I suppose I'm not alone here, reading all the recent reviews of the The Dark Knight Rises has been so melancholy with the many, inevitable references to Heath, such as this opening paragraph from the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

"The great writer-director Christopher Nolan faced an impossible challenge: follow up his 2008 smash "The Dark Knight," which was not only hugely popular and critically acclaimed but spawned Heath Ledger's Joker, a villain who reached beyond mere comics-turned-films shenanigans to become one of the greatest movie characters of all time."

Somehow it seems like its been decades. Has only been four years?
 :-\\  :-\\  :-\\
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1645 on: Jul 20, 2012, 01:11 PM »
Yes, every time I hear the new Batman film being mentioned I feel a pinch in my heart. I don't want to see it because Heath's absence in it would be too painful. :(

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #1646 on: Jul 21, 2012, 05:36 AM »
Yes, every time I hear the new Batman film being mentioned I feel a pinch in my heart. I don't want to see it because Heath's absence in it would be too painful. :(

Me too :-\\

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1647 on: Jul 21, 2012, 10:57 AM »
This is an account of one of Grace Woodroofe's performances, where she was opening for Ben Harper. The writer described a very emotional moment when Grace performed the song "H." which she has written about Heath:

Ben Harper, who is producing Grace’s debut album, Always Want, joined her on stage during the opening set. Her single, I’ve Handled Myself Wrong, features Ben on backup vocals during the chorus. Grace’s presence within her songs demand a connection with the audience, and there is no where else you’ll want to be. If you pay attention to the lyrics you can hear her leaving a piece of herself behind in every line.

Grace’s second number featuring Ben was the delicately written H. Starting off with a gently finger picked chord progression, her raspy yet soft vocals fall in soon after. I may have been caught with my eyes closed, feeling the moment, but suddenly about halfway through the song Grace just stopped and burst into tears. She tried to fight it, she tried to wipe them away and turn from the crowd but it wasn’t happening. Harper walked over to her and she quickly buried her face in his shoulder. He whispered something to her and she tried again to wipe away the tears. She could have cried for hours in his arms but instead she pulled it together, composed herself, and started right back in where she left off. Everyone around me had tears rolling down their cheeks. In the moment, and especially in hindsight, it was the purest, most emotionally honest moment I’ve ever experienced at a concert. Growing up usually takes years, but Grace did it in just one song. The love and appreciation I now have for Grace Woodroofe, as an artist and a person, is abounding.

It wasn’t until hours after the show that I finally put it all together. Even though Ben Harper is producing her album it was actually Heath Ledger that first ‘discovered’ Grace and wholeheartedly encouraged her to follow her dreams. As her manager, he even directed and produced her first video for the David Bowie song, Quicksand. By introducing Grace to Ben before his death, Ledger has helped keep the dream alive, and from inside Grace’s heart, Heath has the best seat in the house every night. In homage to her dearly departed friend, Grace wrote H., the hauntingly beautiful recollection of their time together. Some people in the audience thought she made a mistake during the song and was embarrassed, but that’s not what happened at all. The outpour of emotion was real, and true.

You can find the whole blog entry here: http://www.blueskycampfires.com/post/11303518533/gracewoodroofe
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2012, 11:28 AM by keren_b »

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #1648 on: Jul 21, 2012, 11:57 AM »
Thank you for posting this, Keren. I didn't know Grace Woodroofe. I just listened to her song, H. This is beautiful and moving... Thanks again.

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #1649 on: Jul 21, 2012, 12:31 PM »
Maybe it's already posted somewhere, but I found the lyrics of H. and wanted to share with you. It is incredibly moving.

H.

My dad wrote 4 words on a tiny piece of paper,
these are the stages you'll go through. He said
shock and deep denying sadness,
in time acceptance will come too.
Oh,I wish I could fast-forward time, for that matter rewind.
I know you said time was blind,
now you are in a place that only exists in my mind.

I have this image of you leaning out the window,
your lungs encapsulating smoke,
but I would give everything to smell your cigarette's burning,
you were always so impassive when you spoke.

I feel you with me all the time,
your guiding hands lead mine,
but I miss the stories that you'd share,
and the little garments that you always used to wear.

I am wearing nothing but your love,
and I can honestly say
that I think about you everyday.

I have this image of you leaning out the window,
your lungs encapsulating smoke,
but I would give everything to smell your cigarette's burning,
you were always so impassive when you spoke.

Your house is empty, shelves are bare,
your presence felt, but you're not there.
That's where you sit, I mean where you sat,
I am still adjusting to getting used to that.
You won't show up at my door.
Wherever you are I hope you find
what you were searching for.