Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 646825 times)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #1650 on: Jul 21, 2012, 01:44 PM »
Thank you for posting this, Keren. I didn't know Grace Woodroofe. I just listened to her song, H. This is beautiful and moving... Thanks again.

Grace Woodroofe was a friend of Heath's younger sister, Ashleigh, who sent Heath a recording of Grace and connected between them. Heath thought that Grace had potential and wanted to help her make her brakethrough, so he flew her to the U.S. and took her under his wings as her manager. Through Heath she met Ben Harper. If you google Heath and Grace Woodroofe I'm sure you'll find articles about it. There was also a clip (on youtube I think) of Grace performing H. live and she said it was dedicated to "The Bells" - Heath's mother Sally Bell, her husband and Ashleigh Bell were sitting in the audience.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #1651 on: Jul 21, 2012, 03:13 PM »
This live is beautiful. I love her voice and her music. It's so wonderful what Heath make for her. I didn't know about "The Bells"... Thanks for telling me. I'm glad I discovered another side of Heath through this talented singer. I love (and miss) him even more.
It could be like this - just like this - always

Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives. Annie Proulx

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1652 on: Aug 23, 2012, 11:59 AM »
This is a link to a blog with different tributes and interviews and stories about Heath. Among them there's Todd Haynes speech when he dedicated the Robet Altman Award to Heath - it's a very emotional dedication, I looked for this video for ages and couldn't find it on youtube, I'm so glad that I found it here. And there is also an interesting interview with Vincent Fantauzzo about working with Heath on his famous portrait. I wasn't sure on which memorial thread to post it, so I'm posting it on both of them.

http://fiveleavesleftbehind.blogspot.com.au/2008_11_01_archive.html

Offline tizi17

• Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
« Reply #1653 on: Aug 24, 2012, 04:14 AM »
thank you dear  ^f^
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #1654 on: Aug 27, 2012, 08:18 AM »
thank you dear  ^f^

I quote Tizi! Thanks for sharing Keren.

Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives. Annie Proulx

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1655 on: Dec 03, 2012, 12:42 PM »
I came across this quote from Michelle from about two years ago. She was interviewed to Marie Claire and talked about her life with Matilda:

"Very obviously, for me and her, there's a hole in our life," the actress revealed in the interview, "Of course the natural inclination is to want to fill it and make it disappear, but what I've come to recently is that it's impossible." She continues, "Nothing will fit in that hole because what we want back there we can't get, which is this one person. I'm not going to rush anything and scamper around like a mad person and make myself crazy. I'm trying to be respectful of the absence. I'm not trying to fill it up. It is what it is."

This is so heartbreaking. I hope she's happy now in her new relationship, but I doubt anyone can really replace Heath in her heart. and it's heartbreaking to think that Matilda doesn't even remember him. :_(

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1656 on: Dec 05, 2012, 01:54 AM »
dear keren-

I share your sentiments here with the entirety of the situation. I'm sure you have perceived, and reflected upon, the remarkable, and I would imagine wholly unintentional, parallels between what Michelle said here (I'm trying to be respectful of the absence. I'm not trying to fill it up. It is what it is.) and another summation by a famous novelist:

. . . . but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2012, 02:03 AM by jackster »
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1657 on: Dec 05, 2012, 09:40 AM »
So true, Jackster.

Offline rimasworld

• Ennis
  • If ya can't fix it ya gotta stand it
« Reply #1658 on: Dec 05, 2012, 02:48 PM »
So true, Jackster.
Hopefully when Matilda is older, she will watch her dad's movies and get to know him like we have and hold a special place in her memory and heart of the wonderful man who left us all too soon.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1659 on: Dec 22, 2012, 04:30 AM »
Ang Lee recalling working with Heath in a recent interview:

Lee doesn't need much prompting to recall, with evident emotion, the intensity of working with Heath Ledger, who died two years after earning an Oscar nomination for "Brokeback Mountain."

Hearing of Ledger's death in January 2008 after disembarking from a flight to Japan, says Lee, "I went blank."

Now, says Lee as Sharma listens, absorbed, "I want to remember the time I worked with Heath as an actor, because when you work with somebody like this" — he inclines his head toward Sharma — "it's beyond a personal level. During shooting you go through things that I don't share with my wife or children, where we just zoom right into the core of things. What may seem like torture to others, we actually like. That happens only with good actors. They just need that excuse, just need somebody like me to give them a topic so they can go through that."

Lee, amused at the thought almost despite himself, glances sidelong at Sharma: "I give actors my best, and they give theirs to me."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-en-life-of-pi-20121218,0,2344380.story

It reminded me of things that Heath said, how shooting BBM was very difficult for him because it was a very lonely experience, and Ang didn't give him many reassurances. Ang created this atmosphere on purpose to put Heath in the right mood for the role and draw out the best from him, and Heath gave his best.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1660 on: Dec 24, 2012, 11:48 AM »
"I give actors my best, and they give theirs to me."

Indeed.

Thanks for the post keren.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #1661 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:59 PM »
Yup, thanks hon' for posting.  :^^)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1662 on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:54 PM »
January 22nd is coming up - hard to believe how the time passes.

* I deleted the photo on the bottom left of the first page because it was a pap shot of Heath with Matilda.

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #1663 on: Jan 20, 2013, 02:23 PM »
Thanks Keren!

Offline rimasworld

• Ennis
« Reply #1664 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:56 PM »
My uncle and aunt lost their son in his twenties. They say it really never gets better, just different. I feel sad when I think of what could have been with Heath, such a lovely, sweet, talented person. Sad for his family who will miss him all the days they are on this earth and his little girl who never got the chance to know him.

Offline tizi17

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1665 on: Jan 21, 2013, 07:17 AM »
thank you keren  ^f^

Offline rimasworld

• Ennis
« Reply #1666 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:28 PM »
He had such a beautiful smile, he really glowed.

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ennis for Mr Brokeback 2007!!!
« Reply #1667 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:38 AM »
thanks Keren, we miss his smile too
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592)

Heath, I swear ...

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1668 on: Feb 25, 2013, 11:05 AM »
This is a video of Ben Harper talking about Heath in one of his concerts. He was probably going to perform "Happy Everafter In Your Eyes", and that's what triggered the story. It's a shame that the song isn't on the video, but his story is really touching.

I listened to it several times, trying to understand what he says, not always easy to tell... I wasn't able to get everything word for word, but this is pretty much how it goes:

Ben: …My doorbell rang in about 8:30 in the morning… (going on about hearing the Semi which is unusual in his street)… I came to the door, and, "I've got a piano here for Mr. Harper". And I say "no, no you don't… 'cause I didn't… don't think I ordered a piano. It's the kind of thing you'd remember". And he says "no you didn't order it, it's on special delivery here from Mr. Heath Ledger".

We've been up two nights before – straight – I think maybe he outlasted me – I think – if I could run 10 miles Heath could run 12, put it that way. And so I think I dozed off once, in the two days. And we were up listening to Nick Drake and just being completely overwhelmed with enthusiasm about one of his best friends, who's one of the great Hip-Hop artists I've ever known or heard, N'fa. N'fa is incredible, and one of the great humans on the planet. And so we were up and he was showing me N'fa's new video that he had cut, and we were up playing, hammering on this piano and then two days later it showed up. And that was the kind of majestic, regal human being that Heath was.

And just like me he had no sense of time. the phone would ring at 4:00 in the morning, no shit, and – (whispering, imitating his wife): "honey, it's Heath, again, would you just – we just got the baby to sleep – would you just tell him to wait 'til 7:00, you know…" and I'd go up in the corner: "Hey man… (mimicking a whispered conversation) oh, really? Oh, okay, okay okay – I'll meet you there in 10 minutes". And then I'd go – and she's, "where the hell are you going??" and I'm, "honey it's Heath, I gotta go!" and we'd be eating pastrami sandwiches in Hollywood in 4:30 in the morning.

And two days later, that piano – he called and said "you got that piano, right?" I say "yeah". And he says "ok, I've got a baby coming in about a month, I need you to write her a lullaby". And I did it right away. He needs a lullaby, it's like, "you got it man, you know, sure, I would do it". And so, this next song, I don't play and I haven't played much at all, because I haven't been able to play it, because when you do, it's just…it's…" (I wasn't able to understand what he said here). But I'm just starting to come around, and play a little bit, and I think… it is what it is… and we're in Australia, Sydney, so…

Someone from the audience asks, "where's the piano?"

Ben: I play it every morning over coffee. Wake up – cup – sit at the piano. And I think of him, and the great, incredible times… he directed this video for me. He was going to direct a video, I have a song called… (didn't get it) and he was going to direct that video, but he was hell bent on setting me on fire. "I'll set you on fire!..." (he talked some more about the emails they used to send each other back and forth, I wasn't able to get everything there).

If anybody picked up more things that he said that I missed and feels like filling in the blanks, please do...
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2013, 11:15 AM by keren_b »

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #1669 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:01 PM »
Thanks Keren it's a lovely video.  :^^)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline kula

• Cassie
Heath Ledger's Diary for his Role of "The Joker"
« Reply #1670 on: May 31, 2013, 09:43 PM »
From a German documentary series titled Too Young to Die, though it's dubbed in French:

Offline rimasworld

• Ennis
« Reply #1671 on: Jun 10, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Johnny Depp turns 50 today. Included in an article naming the most memorable moments in his career, was when he bought his own island and named his favorite part of it "Heath's Place" in tribute to his good friend Heath Ledger.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1672 on: Jun 11, 2013, 01:58 AM »
Johnny Depp turns 50 today. Included in an article naming the most memorable moments in his career, was when he bought his own island and named his favorite part of it "Heath's Place" in tribute to his good friend Heath Ledger.

That was a very sweet thing to do. It always overwhelms me to see how deeply Heath has touched everybody around him.

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Heath, I swear ...

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #1674 on: Sep 15, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Awwww, just read the interview with Heath's parents..   :_(   

Still puts such a feeling of physical weight on my chest...  sigh

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1675 on: Sep 24, 2013, 05:42 AM »
from The West Australian (newspaper)

Jake Gyllenhaal still misses Heath Ledger

AAP September 14, 2013, 7:58 am

Jake Gyllenhaal says Heath Ledger was a lovable guy and says he still misses the late Australian actor.

Gyllenhaal starred alongside Ledger in the 2005 Oscar-winning movie Brokeback Mountain, in which they played two cowboys who were in love.

Their portrayal of the relationship between Jack Twist (Gyllenhaal) and Ennis Del Mar (Ledger) was so believable some began to question Gyllenhaal's sexual orientation.

The topic was discussed during his appearance on an episode of Inside the Actors Studio, to air in the US next week.

Far from being embarrassed by the rumours, the 32-year-old star says he took them as a "huge compliment" because it meant he had done his job well.

Ledger died of an accidental prescription drug overdose in 2008 at the age of 28. During the interview Gyllenhaal opened up about their friendship, explaining their work on Brokeback Mountain wasn't what first brought them together.

"Heath and I knew each other for years before that because we had both auditioned for Moulin Rouge! together," he explained, referencing Baz Luhrmann's 2001 movie.

"And I remember thinking, 'I like this guy. He's just like, super lovable.'"

Gyllenhaal was heavily affected by Ledger's death. He likened it to the loss of a dear family member and said he still misses him "to this day".

The full TV interview with the actor hasn't been released yet, but it's known he discusses what he looks for in a woman and even opens up about what turns him on according to entertainment website eonline.com.

Gyllenhaal stars alongside Hugh Jackman in the new dramatic thriller Prisoners, to be released in Australian cinemas on October 17.

:-\\  :-\\  :-\\

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1676 on: Sep 24, 2013, 08:50 AM »
Thank you for this Jackster, that's so touching to read. I've heard that Jake is going to talk about his friendship with Heath in this show and I would very much like to see it, but unfortunately it's not aired here. I hope somebody puts it up on youtube or something...

By the way, I remember how some people were very upset when Jake didn't release any public statement after Heath's death and refused to talk about him in interviews. People were very unfair to him and claimed that he was being disrespectful, when the real reason was that it was just too painful for him to talk about. He obviously cared so much for Heath and losing him was hard to deal with. :_(

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1677 on: Jun 24, 2014, 11:53 AM »
I only found this now. Last January, 6 years to the day Heath has left us, photographer Robert Sebree posted some photos he took of Heath and his memories of Heath from that photoshoot.

http://sebreephoto.com/2014/01/22/heath-ledger/

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1678 on: Jun 24, 2014, 03:26 PM »
thanks for sharing x

Heath, I swear ...

Offline tizi17

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1679 on: Jun 25, 2014, 01:59 AM »
still and always a twist to my heart...

thank you dear  ^f^