Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 646825 times)

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #210 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:45 PM »
I think you know what I mean when I say that I wish the preponderance of Heath news at this very moment would just stop and take a break.

I do.   ^f^
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline lauren123

• Cassie
« Reply #211 on: Feb 01, 2008, 04:07 PM »
Sorry I originally posted this on the In Loving Memory board then realised this board was more appropriate.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed and already posted but in the UK Now magazine on the feature about Heath there is a picture, and it's the same picture that's in the banner at the top - the tribute left for Heath outside his apartment. Thought it was nice how that picture was shown! x

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #212 on: Feb 01, 2008, 04:20 PM »
From Reuters:

LOS ANGELES, Feb 1 (Reuters) - In her first statement since the death of her former companion Heath Ledger, actress Michelle Williams said she is suffering from a broken heart and asked for privacy for her and daughter Matilda.

"Please respect our need to grieve privately," Williams said in a statement released on Friday by Ledger's spokeswoman. "My heart is broken."

"I am the mother of the most tender-hearted, high-spirited, beautiful little girl who is the spitting image of her father," Williams said in her statement.

"All that I can cling to is his presence inside her that reveals itself every day. His family and I watch Matilda as she whispers to trees, hugs animals, and takes steps two at a time and we know that he is with us still. She will be brought up with the best memories of him."

Oh God. :\'( :\'( :\'(
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline cynical21

• Alma Jr.
  • My candle burns at both ends . . .
« Reply #213 on: Feb 01, 2008, 04:26 PM »
From Reuters:  Hooray for those with enough sensitivity to raise their voices and put a stop to this invasion of the family's grieving and exploitation of a sweet, generous young spirit.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN314768820080201

Here's part of the article: By Bob Tourtellotte

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - In a rare display of unity, Hollywood rallied to the side of Heath Ledger to protest the airing of a two-year-old video showing the deceased actor at a drug-fueled hotel party that was yanked off U.S. airwaves.

"Entertainment Tonight" and "The Insider," which feature interviews with Hollywood stars about their new TV shows and movies, had planned to air the video on Thursday.

After they had aired portions of the video on the U.S. East Coast, a spokeswoman for the TV shows said in a statement released on Wednesday evening that they decided against playing the video "out of respect for Heath Ledger's family."

But the decision followed a campaign by Ledger's publicity firm, Los Angeles-based ID-PR, to rally Hollywood's creative community against the shows.

ID-PR sent an e-mail to public relations companies, talent agencies, management firms and studio executives, calling into question the "common decency" of the programs' producers.

"This is not journalism, it is sensationalism. It is a shameful exploitation of the lowest kind, to a talented and gentle soul, undeserving of such treatment," said the e-mail, a copy of which was obtained by Reuters.

"We are asking the Hollywood community to pressure 'Entertainment Tonight' to pull the segment," the e-mail said.

Mara Buxbaum, chief operating officer of ID-PR, said, "there were a lot of people who were so appalled ... they stood up for what was right."  Continued...

CYN
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2008, 05:22 PM by cynical21 »
“Ledger made great demands on his heart — romantically, professionally, personally, physically. And in the end, his heart said 'No'."  --  David Lipsky, Rolling Stone

"There will be stars over the place forever;
There will be stars forever, while we sleep." - Sara Teasdale

"There were only the two of them on the mountain, flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk’s back . . . " -  Annie Proulx

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #214 on: Feb 01, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Jesus. I thought I was over the tears...and then I read that statement from Michelle.

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

I hope that her request is granted. It's time for the press to leave this alone and let Heath's family and close friends grieve in peace.
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline LuvHeath4ever

• Alma Jr.
  • a.k.a. Beans1030
« Reply #215 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:25 PM »
oh my god, poor Michelle.... :\'( :\'( :\'(  To hear her talk of how Matilda is the spitting image of her father and that he is still with them...well, it just breaks my heart.  :\'(

I bought a few magazines today...since they are People and TV Guide, I expect some dignity, which I think they have given.  Anyway, there is a close-up pic of Michelle and Matilda.  She is the spitting image of him...it's uncanny.
R.I.P. Heath 1979-2008
"What we got now, is Brokeback Mountain"

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #216 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:34 PM »
Hello friends.  I am sure many of you are aware by now of some unpleasant things circulating in the news media pertaining to Heath and a particular video.  cynical21's post of course references this controversy.

For now, let us try to pass over the said controversy, as so many of Heath's friends and fellow actors want us to do, out of respect for the family.  Instead, we can focus more on Heath's more substantial artistic legacy, and the things about him as a man and as an artist that we most definitely want to remember him by.  :)

Offline trekfan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #217 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:44 PM »
I am wondering, has anyone heard any news about the toxocology report?  officlal cause of death?

also has Heath been laid to rest?  I know that the family wanted a private service. I was just wondering if there was any news?

(gosh I can't believe I am talking about this, that he is gone)
Aren't we at the stage these days when it just doesn't ... matter? It's a story of love and it's a story between two people. If people can't get over that and just accept it as a story, then that's their problem. I'm big enough and brave enough to do it. - Heath Ledger on doing BBM

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #218 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:49 PM »
I am wondering, has anyone heard any news about the toxocology report?  officlal cause of death?

also has Heath been laid to rest?  I know that the family wanted a private service. I was just wondering if there was any news?

(gosh I can't believe I am talking about this, that he is gone)

Nothing new on both subjects and I don't expect news about the service in Australia
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #219 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:50 PM »
No news.  I think the fact that the family intends to keep this private is probably a strong hint to all of us that they would rather not have it talked about.    As much as I know how we all wish some form of public memorial, let us honor the wishes of Heath's family first and foremost.

Offline trekfan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #220 on: Feb 01, 2008, 10:56 PM »
No news.  I think the fact that the family intends to keep this private is probably a strong hint to all of us that they would rather not have it talked about.    As much as I know how we all wish some form of public memorial, let us honor the wishes of Heath's family first and foremost.

I have heard he was laid to rest Fri Feb 1st  Perth time (which was yesterday our time)   somehow that gives me some peace to know he is home at last.

Aren't we at the stage these days when it just doesn't ... matter? It's a story of love and it's a story between two people. If people can't get over that and just accept it as a story, then that's their problem. I'm big enough and brave enough to do it. - Heath Ledger on doing BBM

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #221 on: Feb 02, 2008, 02:21 AM »
CYN, thanks for this. I am in tears, to know that love for Heath does triumph over all.

Thank you.

[...]
ID-PR sent an e-mail to public relations companies, talent agencies, management firms and studio executives, calling into question the "common decency" of the programs' producers.

"This is not journalism, it is sensationalism. It is a shameful exploitation of the lowest kind, to a talented and gentle soul, undeserving of such treatment," said the e-mail, a copy of which was obtained by Reuters.

"We are asking the Hollywood community to pressure 'Entertainment Tonight' to pull the segment," the e-mail said.

Mara Buxbaum, chief operating officer of ID-PR, said, "there were a lot of people who were so appalled ... they stood up for what was right."  Continued...[/i]

CYN
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #222 on: Feb 02, 2008, 02:30 AM »
Thank you, christie wood. Anecdotes like this are priceless and I treasure everyone. Moments like I bolded below and colored red, bring me to tears, because they speak to the character of Heath that is so lovable, so genuine, that is the core reason that Heath touched so many people. He connected with people because he truly believed in knowing them, and loving them.  :\'(

Thank you.  :ghug: :ghug:

Here's a very nice article by Josh Horowitz for MTV, remembering his brief, but memorable, interview with Heath.

Heath Ledger Remembered: You can learn a lot in ten minutes

I’m not going to talk about the acting here. Critics wiser than I will have plenty of time to dissect his clearly impressive albeit all too small body of work.

I do want to talk about the man — the man I encountered — and why I, like many, am truly heartbroken today.I didn’t know Heath Ledger. The sum of our time together was about 10 minutes at a junket two months ago in New York. Still, for good or for bad I often make snap judgments about actors based on these quick interactions. You can tell a lot in a few moments, and I remember telling my girlfriend how much I genuinely liked Heath that day.

I remember when I sat down we talked about chess a bit. Heath told me he was obsessed with it, played every day since he was a kid. He said he often played in Washington Square Park. The thought of an actor of Ledger’s fame mingling among the other chess fanatics made me smile.

He was smoking up a storm and we laughed about his two addictions: nicotine and chess. Now I wince at the memory, hoping those were the only two compulsions he truly had. Ledger was jittery during the interview. He moved around a bit and laughed easily. He struck me as a man almost ill at ease with his own body. But it all came off as charming, none of the self-possessed bullsh– cocky facade so many actors show. He was what he was sitting there: raw, uneasy, but fiercely intelligent and sweet.

We talked about New York that day. He told me he had left Brooklyn for Manhattan. When he asked me where I was from I told him I was a born and bred New Yorker. He gave me a thumbs up and smiled. It’s a moment now burned into my memory and sadly suddenly feels horribly bittersweet.

Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline Rosie

• Jack + Ennis
  • that old cold time
« Reply #223 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:11 AM »
I agree, thank you Christie  ^f^
Danny and me, Danny and me,  Danny and me and the sea,
Bobbing out of Pleasure Bay, the islands on our lee;
Spectacle, Georges, Gallops, the sun-wash on the brine
Castle Island where Skovo danced a bear-dance in bear-time.
The Golden Boy has chosen, I know what I will be
Danny and me, seanchai, Danny and me and the sea.

A Map of the Harbor Islands JG Hayes

Offline Carefree Wind

• Lureen
  • Heath: A Bright Star That Shall Never Fade
« Reply #224 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:56 AM »
I have heard he was laid to rest Fri Feb 1st  Perth time (which was yesterday our time)   somehow that gives me some peace to know he is home at last.

I have only just heard, on the evening news tonight, that it is expected Michelle Williams will fly here, into Perth, for Heath's funeral. So, with that, it seems quite possible, that his funeral has yet to happen.
"Now you will not swell the rout, Of lads that wore their honours out, Runners whom renown outran, And the name died before the man."

Jack, in his dark camp, lit only by moonlight, sees Ennis as night fire, a red spark on the huge black mass of mountain

Offline cynical21

• Alma Jr.
  • My candle burns at both ends . . .
« Reply #225 on: Feb 02, 2008, 11:16 AM »
Hello friends.  I am sure many of you are aware by now of some unpleasant things circulating in the news media pertaining to Heath and a particular video.  cynical21's post of course references this controversy.

For now, let us try to pass over the said controversy, as so many of Heath's friends and fellow actors want us to do, out of respect for the family.  Instead, we can focus more on Heath's more substantial artistic legacy, and the things about him as a man and as an artist that we most definitely want to remember him by.  :)

Hey, tpe - and I agree that the focus should be on good memories of this fine young man, but I disagree - just a little - that my post was meant to explore the controversy.  I felt that the article was meant to point out how well-loved and respected he was by his peers, and how so many of them came together to protect the privacy and dignity of his family's mourning.  Nevertheless, I do see your point and will refrain from further reference to this very said situation.

CYN
“Ledger made great demands on his heart — romantically, professionally, personally, physically. And in the end, his heart said 'No'."  --  David Lipsky, Rolling Stone

"There will be stars over the place forever;
There will be stars forever, while we sleep." - Sara Teasdale

"There were only the two of them on the mountain, flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk’s back . . . " -  Annie Proulx

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #226 on: Feb 02, 2008, 12:08 PM »
Hey, tpe - and I agree that the focus should be on good memories of this fine young man, but I disagree - just a little - that my post was meant to explore the controversy.  I felt that the article was meant to point out how well-loved and respected he was by his peers, and how so many of them came together to protect the privacy and dignity of his family's mourning.  Nevertheless, I do see your point and will refrain from further reference to this very said situation.

CYN

We thought so too, which is why the post wasn't edited, and I'm sure that was your intention as well. We'd just like to ask members not to get into discussions about the said video out of respect for Heath and his family. Thank you for your understanding. ^f^

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #228 on: Feb 02, 2008, 11:47 PM »
A lovely post Ethan, thank you so much for it.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #229 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:20 AM »
Thank you so much Keren. I've listened to this amazing speech five times this evening. Every time I've cried. I was on my 3 time when my father heard that Heath's deep voice. He liked it a lot and asked me to play it once again, and then one more time. We both were so stunned and touched with the magical timbre of Heath's voice.

Sigh...  No breaking news to this group, but Heath's voice was an extraordinary part of his beauty.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #230 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:23 AM »
Here's a very nice article by Josh Horowitz for MTV, remembering his brief, but memorable, interview with Heath.

Heath Ledger Remembered: You can learn a lot in ten minutes

He was smoking up a storm and we laughed about his two addictions: nicotine and chess. Now I wince at the memory, hoping those were the only two compulsions he truly had. Ledger was jittery during the interview. He moved around a bit and laughed easily. He struck me as a man almost ill at ease with his own body. But it all came off as charming, none of the self-possessed bullsh– cocky facade so many actors show. He was what he was sitting there: raw, uneasy, but fiercely intelligent and sweet.
[/i]

I really never saw it as ill-at-ease in his body, not at all.  What he could do with it, the discipline he had, in his acting, even dancing -- this is not a man ill-at-ease in his body.  It's just that he had so much energy inside always bursting to get out.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #231 on: Feb 03, 2008, 06:06 AM »

Offline Koka

• Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #232 on: Feb 03, 2008, 06:56 AM »
I really never saw it as ill-at-ease in his body, not at all.  What he could do with it, the discipline he had, in his acting, even dancing -- this is not a man ill-at-ease in his body.  It's just that he had so much energy inside always bursting to get out.

kathy

hm, I would have to disagree. I was always under the impression that Heath felt very uncomfortable in his body. I noticed this on Oprah and while watching several other interviews- his body language gave him away. BUT I think that the fact that his acting is so amazing can very much be attributed to that unease. Because you see, it always seemed to me as if he wanted- out. As if he felt that his body was 'holding him down' or 'holding him prisoner' in a way, and when acting, he could TOTALLY let himself go, allow himself to become someone else and express himself in the most beautiful of ways. That's the discipline you mentioned ksxks. And I think that the feeling of discomfiture was the reason why he COULD have so much discipline.
I dunno if any of this makes sense to you guys ( it is a kind of paradox in itself ), but that's the way I see it.
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

babytammy7

« Reply #233 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:21 AM »
hm, I would have to disagree. I was always under the impression that Heath felt very uncomfortable in his body. I noticed this on Oprah and while watching several other interviews- his body language gave him away. BUT I think that the fact that his acting is so amazing can very much be attributed to that unease. Because you see, it always seemed to me as if he wanted- out. As if he felt that his body was 'holding him down' or 'holding him prisoner' in a way, and when acting, he could TOTALLY let himself go, allow himself to become someone else and express himself in the most beautiful of ways. That's the discipline you mentioned ksxks. And I think that the feeling of discomfiture was the reason why he COULD have so much discipline.
I dunno if any of this makes sense to you guys ( it is a kind of paradox in itself ), but that's the way I see it.

I know what you mean. I like the way you think about him.

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #234 on: Feb 03, 2008, 03:30 PM »
CNN Video: In His Own Words

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2008/01/24/nat.ledger.in.his.words.cnn?iref=videosearch

Up till now, I wasn't able to bring myself to watch or listen to any old interviews. I just knew it would break my heart to hear that beautiful voice so full of life - and I was right. This is a lovely tribute video, but it's so hard to see how adorable he was in interviews - all nervy and fidgety - and know that we'll never see any new ones.

:\'( :\'( :\'(
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ennis for Mr Brokeback 2007!!!
« Reply #235 on: Feb 03, 2008, 04:59 PM »
The words from Michelle W are hearbreaking, and the CNN video too.

x
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592)

Heath, I swear ...

Offline trekfan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #236 on: Feb 03, 2008, 06:06 PM »
Here are two articles about Heath's funeral

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ledgers-family-to-hold-private-funeral/2008/02/04/1201973773493.html

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23155373-5012974,00.html

I had thought they flew him home and had already buried him.  Apparently his family was at the memorial service yesterday (Sat)  at the Sony Studio lot

I guess they will fly him back home this week

it's all so sad any way you look at it.    :\'(

Linda

Offline Hanna

• Jack + Ennis
You've changed things. Forever. There's no going back.

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #238 on: Feb 03, 2008, 08:26 PM »
Here are two articles about Heath's funeral

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ledgers-family-to-hold-private-funeral/2008/02/04/1201973773493.html

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23155373-5012974,00.html

I had thought they flew him home and had already buried him.  Apparently his family was at the memorial service yesterday (Sat)  at the Sony Studio lot

I guess they will fly him back home this week

it's all so sad any way you look at it.    :\'(

Linda

Thanks for these updates trekfan. They men a lot to me.  :ghug:
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline roryennis

• Cassie
« Reply #239 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:37 PM »

*Edited by the Moderating team*

Please remember that pap pictures are not allowed. Thank you for your cooperation.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2008, 11:03 PM by FlwrChild »
Ennis: Whut?
Jack:  Friend, that's the most you've spoke in the past two weeks.
Ennis: Hell, that's the most I spoke in a year!