Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 646825 times)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #900 on: Jul 19, 2008, 07:00 AM »
If this is not the right place please feel free to move it.

Entertainment Tonight in their 7P EDT broadcast reported that TDK may well break records by grossing over $150,000,000 THIS WEEKEND.  What a bittersweet moment for those who love and miss Heath; he was singled out in the newscast for his role in the movie contributing to the expected success.  If only you were here, Heath, to share in this wonderful moment and see how your legacy to us and your little daughter is growing.  For many brokies, this is a once-in-a-lifetime happening, to experience and appreciate these works of such a great person and actor who left us at such an early time.  Rock with the angels, Heath.  RIP

I totally agree with you, I feel the same... it's so bittersweet, because I'm so thrilled to see how TDK ecceeds all expectations, knowing how much Heath was invested in this role, but also so sad because he's not here to share it and to hear all the wonderful praises.

I quote Kathy: "It is so difficult -- to feel so proud of him, and at the same time to be so brokenhearted by his not being here."
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #901 on: Jul 20, 2008, 11:33 AM »
I totally agree with you, I feel the same... it's so bittersweet, because I'm so thrilled to see how TDK ecceeds all expectations, knowing how much Heath was invested in this role, but also so sad because he's not here to share it and to hear all the wonderful praises.

I quote Kathy: "It is so difficult -- to feel so proud of him, and at the same time to be so brokenhearted by his not being here."

And I only can but quote all and every word has been said in these nice posts... :\'(
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #902 on: Jul 20, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline sportstalk23

• Alma
  • E&J 4EVER
« Reply #903 on: Jul 20, 2008, 09:26 PM »
This is a real tearful article, so be forewarned:

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2008/07/dark-knight-n-2.html

:t) for posting this and where can I send flowers to this writer for stating what I've said for 3 years that a certain cowboy was just way too much for quite a few of those voters homophobic sensitivites yeah lets award a caricature of somebody gay, a sterotype that hollywood likes to portray gays, but no way not a symbol of american manliness, which is why all this praise Heath is getting is not something I'm all warm and fuzzy over, yes he deserves every each of praise for his work and acknowledgement, but where the hell were all these calls  for oscars and other awards during BBM. Gee maybe BBM would have actually WON BEST PICTURE instead of that movie whose name I will never utter, maybe all the acting roles should have won something, I love Clooney like the day is long and always will but was he that much better than Jake? And can someone please tell what movie Rachael Weiz was in when she beat out Michelle for that Oscar cuz I cant recall this is why I have a bittersweet attitude towards talk of awards, they had a real chance to honor Heath when he was alive and they BLEW IT BIG TIME and that travesty cant be taken back

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #904 on: Jul 21, 2008, 03:31 AM »
This is a real tearful article, so be forewarned:

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2008/07/dark-knight-n-2.html

Thank you for posting this article,Andrew¡  :) Well,I think it would be unfair that Heath win the Oscar as a postmortem tribute,or that this circomstance could be an obstacle to win it.I think that,beyond what was done when he was alive,if he will win the Oscar,it must be mainly because he deserves it as an actor now and he deserved it as an actor before,for his surprising performance in BBM above all.Period.
I've always thought that if he and the movie didn't win in 2006 wasn't for being some other better movies or actors;but for many social and political pressures that came from some of the most reminded Academy members.So,the possibility of winning this Oscar a year after his passing,mustn't be a prize for a young person because he's not already here,not even a way to arrange what was unfairly done before;it would be an act of justice to good acting. :clap:
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #906 on: Jul 21, 2008, 09:31 PM »
Thank you for posting this article,Andrew¡  :) Well,I think it would be unfair that Heath win the Oscar as a postmortem tribute,or that this circomstance could be an obstacle to win it.I think that,beyond what was done when he was alive,if he will win the Oscar,it must be mainly because he deserves it as an actor now and he deserved it as an actor before,for his surprising performance in BBM above all.Period.
I've always thought that if he and the movie didn't win in 2006 wasn't for being some other better movies or actors;but for many social and political pressures that came from some of the most reminded Academy members.So,the possibility of winning this Oscar a year after his passing,mustn't be a prize for a young person because he's not already here,not even a way to arrange what was unfairly done before;it would be an act of justice to good acting. :clap:

I hope you are right that from now on, the Academy award will be apolitical and is purely on artistic merit. I can understand giving life-time achievement awards to actors who happened to be out of awards due to bad timing, as in going against the best movies of that year. But the best actor, best movie, etc, should be simply that...best for that year. Anything else and it would be meaningless.

As for Heath's Joker, I will be as objective as I can be tomorrow night. But honestly, I have no doubt that it will be a memorable experience simply as an extrapolation of what I've seen in the trailer. I can hardly wait to share it in the spoilers threads.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #907 on: Jul 22, 2008, 04:12 AM »
I hope you are right that from now on, the Academy award will be apolitical and is purely on artistic merit. I can understand giving life-time achievement awards to actors who happened to be out of awards due to bad timing, as in going against the best movies of that year. But the best actor, best movie, etc, should be simply that...best for that year. Anything else and it would be meaningless.

As for Heath's Joker, I will be as objective as I can be tomorrow night. But honestly, I have no doubt that it will be a memorable experience simply as an extrapolation of what I've seen in the trailer. I can hardly wait to share it in the spoilers threads.

I really hope that as soon as possible,prizes will be for a good job,and not be rejected for being in the wrong place and in the wrong time doing a performance...And I hope too that you enjoy your watching TDK tonight;please,tell us what's your opinion about,that will be very appreciated.Unluckily,it'll takes some time before I'll be able to watch it here¡.

("If I asked")
                         ----------------

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #908 on: Jul 23, 2008, 04:09 AM »
I really hope that as soon as possible,prizes will be for a good job,and not be rejected for being in the wrong place and in the wrong time doing a performance...And I hope too that you enjoy your watching TDK tonight;please,tell us what's your opinion about,that will be very appreciated.Unluckily,it'll takes some time before I'll be able to watch it here¡.

Hi, MPJ, I love the movie...as I said in the Heath the Joker thread. I am glad to see it on the big screen with the special sound effects. This is one movie you want the theatrical experience, for sure.

Heath went above and beyond his usual brilliance. He made the most vile villainous villain almost lovable. Yes, I said lovable. I felt sorry for the Joker. Even though I knew he lied about his childhood, how he got those scars, how his father ...etc, there was just enough humanity and sanity in the portrayal to make the character believable, and at the same time, almost lovable. The love-hate relationship he had with Bathman was instructive. The most truthful parts of his dialog was the part when he said to Batman, "You complete me." The Joker was as alone, and lonely, as Batman, but he didn't know that Batman has friends. The Joker was truly alone.

Anyhow, I will wait until the spoiler thread to post any more observations.

I will not be surprised if Heath should get a nomination for Best Supporting Actor; it's anyone's guess whether he will win; I will not be surprised if Heath should win an Oscar.  :clap:  <^(

Offline rlh03

• Lureen
  • Just keep on climbing Brokeback Mountain!
« Reply #909 on: Jul 25, 2008, 05:49 PM »
Well, folks, figures don't lie and I hope those critics etc., who deserve it get a big helping of crow.  MOJO reported today that, after just 7 DAYS (week 1 from July 18, 2008 thru July 24, 2008) TDK's box office has grossed the phenomenal amounts of $238,615,211 for domestic showings, $41,300,000 for foreign showings, amounting to a worldwide total $279,915,211.  Rock on, Heath!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Matt Nasty

• formerly zankou1991
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I LOVE JAKE
« Reply #910 on: Jul 25, 2008, 05:56 PM »
Well, folks, figures don't lie and I hope those critics etc., who deserve it get a big helping of crow.  MOJO reported today that, after just 7 DAYS (week 1 from July 18, 2008 thru July 24, 2008) TDK's box office has grossed the phenomenal amounts of $238,615,211 for domestic showings, $41,300,000 for foreign showings, amounting to a worldwide total $279,915,211.  Rock on, Heath!  :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #911 on: Jul 26, 2008, 12:13 AM »

Yup, the page for Dark Knight on mojo is like a whole long columns of 1's. Number one in just about every category imaginable. Fastest to $200 million, and they say the record to $300 million will be broken this weekend. I, for one, will go back this weekend for a second time. I can see why you all were crazy for Brokeback Mountain in the theatres, going multiple times.  There is something to be said for fanaticism.

One observation from the reviews was interesting, that Dark Knight does not appeal to women audience as much as it does to men. I can understand this, but I wonder how true this is. The theatre last Tuesday had a mix of audience from family to adolescence of both gender. Perhaps the second and third timers will be mostly men. Then again, I understand some ladies are very attracted to Christian Bale. I don't understand why  ::) but perhaps they will help bring up the box office numbers to help lift Dark Knight above Titanic in the biggest box office numbers yet.

By the way, what does everyone think of a letter of support to Christian Bale in his time of need. I think we can learn a lesson from Spider-Man, and Heath that superheros sometimes can use a helping hand. I don't know how to go about it, but perhaps an open-letter of support from say, "friends of Heath", to ask for the same respect for privacy that other stars asked of the media.

I see Christian's latest media pictures, and they remind me so much of Heath's, gaunt and tired. Am I crazy or reading too much into it? He is making the next terminator movie, after all.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #912 on: Jul 26, 2008, 01:24 AM »
Lance, I hadn't given a thought to TDK being more of an appeal to men or to women.  Interesting.  I would be curious to ultimately see some statistics about that.  You just never can tell.  I am a TDK fanatic, but considering all the movies of similar genre that I haven't seen (until on video, maybe), it's obvious that what drew me to TDK is Heath.  But then, I do love the fantasy-fantastic stuff and visual wow-ness also.  Besides everyone else in the movie.  It's not like it was a total boring movie but oh yes, HL is great.  ;) 

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #913 on: Jul 26, 2008, 01:33 AM »
Lance, I hadn't given a thought to TDK being more of an appeal to men or to women.  Interesting.  I would be curious to ultimately see some statistics about that.  You just never can tell.  I am a TDK fanatic, but considering all the movies of similar genre that I haven't seen (until on video, maybe), it's obvious that what drew me to TDK is Heath.  But then, I do love the fantasy-fantastic stuff and visual wow-ness also.  Besides everyone else in the movie.  It's not like it was a total boring movie but oh yes, HL is great.  ;) 

kathy

I was kind of surprised at the reviewer's comment, too. The fact that only one woman character of note is in the movie, was his reasoning, and I can see why he made the comment.  But I never gave it much thought, and I honestly don't think it makes sense. Men and women go to movie for the same reason, to be entertained and for the experience. True, some movies appeal more to women than men, and some movies appeal more to men than women, but I think the majority of GREAT movies, appeal to both, because great movies necessarily reflects some part of real life that resonates in all people, regardless of gender, etc. I find this in Dark Knight. I personally believe it is a great movie, as important as Brokeback Mountain, even. Yes, I see it speaking to the soul of humanity as Brokeback Mountain spoke to the soul of gay men. I can hardly wait till the thread opens up the discussion. Please Warner Brothers, make Dark Knight distribution world wide, NOW, please!  &**)

Offline Marj

• Jack + Ennis
  • Save a horse, Ride a cowboy
« Reply #914 on: Jul 26, 2008, 02:48 AM »

One observation from the reviews was interesting, that Dark Knight does not appeal to women audience as much as it does to men. I can understand this, but I wonder how true this is. The theatre last Tuesday had a mix of audience from family to adolescence of both gender. Perhaps the second and third timers will be mostly men. Then again, I understand some ladies are very attracted to Christian Bale. I don't understand why  ::) but perhaps they will help bring up the box office numbers to help lift Dark Knight above Titanic in the biggest box office numbers yet.

For me, it's not true, I would have gone even when Heath was not in it, simply because this is my kind of genre.
I like it rough  ;D  ;D I like horror, thrillers, superhero movies, adventure movies and action movies with lots of things blowing up! The crazier the better for me!  ;)
I usually don't go for the romantic genre, but of course some appeal to my taste, like BBM and Shelter.
Yesterday evening there were more women at TDK then men

Jack Twist: "...so what we got now is Brokeback Mountain...I wish I knew how to quit you."

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #915 on: Jul 26, 2008, 02:59 AM »
For me, it's not true, I would have gone even when Heath was not in it, simply because this is my kind of genre.
I like it rough  ;D  ;D I like horror, thrillers, superhero movies, adventure movies and action movies with lots of things blowing up! The crazier the better for me!  ;)
I usually don't go for the romantic genre, but of course some appeal to my taste, like BBM and Shelter.
Yesterday evening there were more women at TDK then men

I am glad to hear this. Thanks, Marj. And I'd never guessed that you like it rough  ??? from you comments in the Shelter thread. I'd thought you are like me, into romantic comedies, and other girlie movies... ::) :P

Seriously, though, I hope men and women continue to see Dark Knight, over and over. It's a great movie, a great morality tale, a great classic.

Offline sportstalk23

• Alma
  • E&J 4EVER
« Reply #916 on: Jul 26, 2008, 03:21 AM »
let me tell yall in theaters all over nyc women were out huge numbers to TDK normally its guys dragging ladies to see "action" movies and women dragging their guys to see "chick" flicks, but TDK transcened all of those ideals about who watches what kinds of movies, one of my dream wishes was to get Christian Bale and Heath Ledger in a movies, we wound up with I'm not there and TDK, as I loove Christian Bale as I do Heath and Jake cant wait to see this again  :clap:

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #917 on: Jul 26, 2008, 11:05 PM »
I was kind of surprised at the reviewer's comment, too. The fact that only one woman character of note is in the movie, was his reasoning, and I can see why he made the comment.  But I never gave it much thought, and I honestly don't think it makes sense. Men and women go to movie for the same reason, to be entertained and for the experience. True, some movies appeal more to women than men, and some movies appeal more to men than women, but I think the majority of GREAT movies, appeal to both, because great movies necessarily reflects some part of real life that resonates in all people, regardless of gender, etc. I find this in Dark Knight. I personally believe it is a great movie, as important as Brokeback Mountain, even. Yes, I see it speaking to the soul of humanity as Brokeback Mountain spoke to the soul of gay men. I can hardly wait till the thread opens up the discussion. Please Warner Brothers, make Dark Knight distribution world wide, NOW, please!  &**)

But as you said, BBM spoke to more than gay men!  Something to say to everyone, to see in their own lives where fears caused loss, etc.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #918 on: Jul 26, 2008, 11:26 PM »
let me tell yall in theaters all over nyc women were out huge numbers to TDK normally its guys dragging ladies to see "action" movies and women dragging their guys to see "chick" flicks, but TDK transcened all of those ideals about who watches what kinds of movies, one of my dream wishes was to get Christian Bale and Heath Ledger in a movies, we wound up with I'm not there and TDK, as I loove Christian Bale as I do Heath and Jake cant wait to see this again  :clap:

You know what, duh me...  It totally slipped my mind until you just said it that CB was in I'm Not There.  I only saw it once, and I was not really familiar with CB before, as you obviously are!  How cool that they worked together twice, then.  Although in INT they maybe didn't actually ever film together.  But they sure were face-to-face in TDK!!

I'm not surprised when I read CB was really depressed over Heath's death.  As everyone who knew him is...and all of us who didn't exactly know him.

kathy

Offline sportstalk23

• Alma
  • E&J 4EVER
« Reply #919 on: Jul 27, 2008, 01:32 AM »
That's funny K ;D quite a few people said that too,CB is one of those people like Heath and Jake where I'm a fan from the start.CB was also in Little Women, and I'm real glad he was one of the first to debunk those stupid rumors of the Joker pushing Heath over the edge,and yes he also took Heath's death hard

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #920 on: Jul 27, 2008, 01:33 AM »
But as you said, BBM spoke to more than gay men!  Something to say to everyone, to see in their own lives where fears caused loss, etc.

kathy

You are right. This forum proves it.  %&) By the same extension, Heath's Ennis spoke to everyone about the loss of love, so Heath's Joker speaks to everyone about the moral dilemma when confronted with evil, not just to the souls of heroes or the nihilist agents of chaos. Thanks for the reminder.  :ghug: :^^)

Offline ynnaf

• Lureen
« Reply #921 on: Jul 27, 2008, 06:44 PM »
Terry Gilliam:

Director Terry Gilliam, now in post-production on THE IMAGINARIUM OF DOCTOR PARNASSUS, Heath Ledger's final film, was interviewed recently at the Ischia Film Festival. Gilliam had high praise for Ledger, calling him "a genius." He also complimented the three actors--Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell--who stepped in to complete Ledger's role in PARNASSUS after his untimely death last January:

TERRY GILLIAM: The great thing about it is that when Heath died, and we have a character that wasn't finished in the movie, those three actors [Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell] came along and saved the day. And so the character is now basically four actors creating one character. And that's . . . it's very interesting, and maybe even more interesting than it would have been with one actor going all the way through. I'm still not the best judge, because I have in my head what the film was going to be with Heath all the way through, and now there's a different film there. But all I know is, it's very funny.

Gilliam sounded proud of his film and genuinely awed by the generosity of the actors who came forward to save the picture and ensure its completion. Despite their high profiles, Depp, Law, and Farrell took no compensation for their work; instead, they donated their salaries to Heath Ledger's two-year-old daughter, Matilda.

TERRY GILLIAM: The three actors were totally heroic coming in. This doesn't happen very often . . . where there's a tragedy like this, and very famous, very successful actors suddenly say, "Okay, we'll do whatever it takes to help." They came; they did the work; they allowed the movie to be finished; they didn't take money--the money goes to Heath's daughter. That's extraordinary! And wonderful . . . and when you're part of that, you think, "Ah, this is maybe why I went into the movies, in the beginning. I thought it would be full of wonderful people. And in our case, we've got a movie full of wonderful people, who did extraordinary things to help."

Link: http://will-porter.livejournal.com/213052.html

Offline Matt Nasty

• formerly zankou1991
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I LOVE JAKE
« Reply #922 on: Jul 27, 2008, 07:08 PM »
thats great, i never knew about jude law, colling farrell, and johnny depp giving there salarys to matilda

Offline sportstalk23

• Alma
  • E&J 4EVER
« Reply #923 on: Jul 27, 2008, 08:04 PM »
thats great, i never knew about jude law, colling farrell, and johnny depp giving there salarys to matilda

heres a standing ovation for those 3 for stepping and being so thoughtful of Matilda  :clap: :clap:  :t) for posting

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #924 on: Jul 27, 2008, 11:34 PM »

Me, neither.  That is a beautiful thing to do.

Besides, from what it sounds like, from the parts Heath had already done, I think it's going to be a fantastic film with their parts.  I so strongly look forward to this.

kathy

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #925 on: Jul 28, 2008, 12:02 AM »
[...]

Thanks, ynnaf, Heath's impact on the world never ceases to bring tears  :\'(. Their response is inspirational. I never paid much attention to these three actors before, except for Judd Law in Enemy at the Gates and Gattaca, and Johnny Depp in 21 Jump Street and Don Juan de Marco. Now I know why they have their stature as actors, because they must have wonderful hearts to respond to Heath in this way. Bravo  :clap:

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #926 on: Jul 28, 2008, 02:53 AM »
Oh thats such a lovely gesture, I had no idea that the 3 actors did that. 
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #927 on: Jul 28, 2008, 03:26 AM »
What an awesome thing for those three to do :clap: :clap:
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #928 on: Jul 28, 2008, 05:25 AM »
Gilliam sounded proud of his film and genuinely awed by the generosity of the actors who came forward to save the picture and ensure its completion. Despite their high profiles, Depp, Law, and Farrell took no compensation for their work; instead, they donated their salaries to Heath Ledger's two-year-old daughter, Matilda.

TERRY GILLIAM: The three actors were totally heroic coming in. This doesn't happen very often . . . where there's a tragedy like this, and very famous, very successful actors suddenly say, "Okay, we'll do whatever it takes to help." They came; they did the work; they allowed the movie to be finished; they didn't take money--the money goes to Heath's daughter. That's extraordinary! And wonderful . . . and when you're part of that, you think, "Ah, this is maybe why I went into the movies, in the beginning. I thought it would be full of wonderful people. And in our case, we've got a movie full of wonderful people, who did extraordinary things to help."

Thank you so much for posting it here ynnaf, this news bit had truly brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful thing for these three actors to do, and Terry Gilliam is right, it doesn't happen very often... but Heath had such a deep effect on people. It moves me so much that they felt this need to do that for him, because they appreciated him so much, obviously not for the money. Even in his death he still inspires people to do wonderful things.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #929 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:29 AM »
It's a wonderful news to know because speaks volumes about the quality as human beings of these actors;but also the great impact that Heath had absolutely in each person who knew him.Things like this make me surer still that I'm not a fool for missing so much somebody I hadn't known personally;his magnetism went far beyond your getting in touch or not with him. :\'(

("If I asked")
                         ----------------