Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 646790 times)

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #990 on: Aug 27, 2008, 01:50 PM »
Thank you for posting it Jess... I wonder who this Garth Pearce is, and how did he know Heath. "Allergic to fame" is a good way to put it... he sure never liked the spotlights.

I'm not 100% sure, Keren,but I think Garth Pearce is a British journalist, I recognise the name.  I'm not sure how he knows Heath, but he could be talking in a a professional sense.... :-\\
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #991 on: Aug 27, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Thanks, Christie, and you're probably right about him talking in a professional sense. I tried but couldn't find the article online.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline jessicat80

• For every Jack, there's an
  • Ennis
  • until we meet again
« Reply #992 on: Aug 27, 2008, 10:03 PM »
Thank you for posting it Jess... I wonder who this Garth Pearce is, and how did he know Heath. "Allergic to fame" is a good way to put it... he sure never liked the spotlights.

Ok, I finally made myself read it. I buy anything with Heath, then don't/can't read it. Garth Pearce is a reporter that first interviewed Heath for 10 things I Hate About You. He then interviewed him every few years for other films, in a way being able to track Heath's transitions of reactions to fame and interviews last seeing him in Toronto in September '07. He does delve into the idea of having demons, but mainly he talks about Heath with admiration and respect. I tried to photograph the pages just covering the memorial and Matilda pics, but the poor image made it impossible to read, and it's way too much for me to type it all.

Something I did find very interesting though, was that along the side of the right page it listed quotes/tributes to Heath from his ex's and friends. I'd seen most of them, and they were quotes from after his death, but what I found interesting was that there was one from Jake Gyllenhaal.

It said, "Heath wouldn't talk about wanting to be the best, but he'd deliver the best scenes you've ever seen. He was incredible in Brokeback. When people see that performance years from now, they'll say he deserved an Oscar."

Now keep in mind, magazines are sneaky and dishonest when they want to be. Just because that is listed along side other quotes we know to be after tributes, does not mean Jake actually had to have said these words after Heath was gone. He could just have easily have said them when talking about Brokeback in the past tense right after filming.

This edition of Cosmopolitan is the UK mini-compact travel edition. I tried to find the regular sized, but the next month's edition was there. If you look for it, it is the August '08 with Jessica Alba on the cover :)

I went to the website to look for the article, but couldn't find it, they did have some nice pics of Heath though.
"I’d rather live in his world…..than live without him….in mine."                                       (Midnight Train to Georgia)

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #993 on: Aug 28, 2008, 04:25 AM »
Thanks Jess for telling us what the article was about..and you're right about the quote from Jake, who knows when that was from, but it's still nice to see one from him.  :)

Offline Matt Nasty

• formerly zankou1991
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I LOVE JAKE
« Reply #994 on: Aug 28, 2008, 07:39 AM »
Thanks Jess for telling us what the article was about..and you're right about the quote from Jake, who knows when that was from, but it's still nice to see one from him.  :)
deffiantly! maybe ill do some research and try and find when it was from  ;)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #995 on: Aug 28, 2008, 11:05 AM »
It said, "Heath wouldn't talk about wanting to be the best, but he'd deliver the best scenes you've ever seen. He was incredible in Brokeback. When people see that performance years from now, they'll say he deserved an Oscar."

I like that Jake said that, doesn't matter when he did.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #996 on: Aug 28, 2008, 11:12 AM »
I like that Jake said that, doesn't matter when he did.

I agree completely with you,Keren.The moment is the less important; what matters is that he said this because is what he felt and still feels. :clap:
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline Matt Nasty

• formerly zankou1991
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I LOVE JAKE
« Reply #997 on: Aug 28, 2008, 02:27 PM »
i agree too keren

Offline sportstalk23

• Alma
  • E&J 4EVER
« Reply #998 on: Aug 29, 2008, 03:08 AM »
, "Heath wouldn't talk about wanting to be the best, but he'd deliver the best scenes you've ever seen. He was incredible in Brokeback. When people see that performance years from now, they'll say he deserved an Oscar."

right on they both did  :)

Offline Audrey twist

• Heath Forever
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Anne is unique, Anne is Magnifique
« Reply #999 on: Sep 04, 2008, 06:47 AM »
Heath Ledger voted top summer movie villain!!!!!

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 2:21 PM 

LOS ANGELES (Reuters Life!) - Heath Ledger's chilling portrayal of the Joker in Batman blockbuster "The Dark Knight" easily surpassed rivals to be named the summer's best movie villain in a poll released on Wednesday.

Australian actor Ledger, 28, who died of an accidental drug overdose six months before the July release of "The Dark Knight", won 95 percent of votes in a poll by AOL's Moviefone.com Web site.

The Batman sequel, which has taken $505 million at the U.S. and Canadian box office alone, also won every category in which it was nominated for the end of summer season poll, including best sequel, best superhero movie, best action sequence and "movie most worth your cash."

"'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' had all the hype going into the summer but when people saw 'The Dark Knight', they really responded in 'Titanic'-like proportions," said Moviefone editor Scott Robson.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)
...Somewhere over the Rainbow...

Offline Audrey twist

• Heath Forever
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Anne is unique, Anne is Magnifique
« Reply #1000 on: Sep 04, 2008, 06:51 AM »
Toronto festival rolls out potential award winners

By ERIC HARRISON Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle ,Sept. 3, 2008, 5:50PM

Financially, 2008 has been a good movie year so far, but it's hard to think of many films that will be remembered come awards season.

There's The Visitor, from early in the year. It was a better-than-respectable little drama. The Dark Knight very likely will yield a supporting-actor Oscar nominee in Heath Ledger. Beyond that, the movie is most noteworthy for its record-shattering box office.

All this is about to change. A trio of film festivals — Telluride, Venice and Toronto — mark the unofficial start of Hollywood's awards season. The last of these, and most important, is Toronto.

It starts today, and its lineup of North American premieres most assuredly holds most of the movies film lovers will be talking about for the next five months and that will dominate the major awards.

The filmmakers include the Coen brothers, Spike Lee, Oliver Stone, Fernando Meirelles, Steven Soderbergh and Jonathan Demme. Among the stars are George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Julianne Moore, Anne Hathaway, Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo, Colin Farrell, Renée Zellweger, Edward Norton, Kate Beckinsale, Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen and Guy Pearce.

...Somewhere over the Rainbow...

Offline jessicat80

• Ennis
  • until we meet again
« Reply #1001 on: Sep 06, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Heath Ledger voted top summer movie villain!!!!!

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 2:21 PM 

LOS ANGELES (Reuters Life!) - Heath Ledger's chilling portrayal of the Joker in Batman blockbuster "The Dark Knight" easily surpassed rivals to be named the summer's best movie villain in a poll released on Wednesday.

Australian actor Ledger, 28, who died of an accidental drug overdose six months before the July release of "The Dark Knight", won 95 percent of votes in a poll by AOL's Moviefone.com Web site.

The Batman sequel, which has taken $505 million at the U.S. and Canadian box office alone, also won every category in which it was nominated for the end of summer season poll, including best sequel, best superhero movie, best action sequence and "movie most worth your cash."

"'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' had all the hype going into the summer but when people saw 'The Dark Knight', they really responded in 'Titanic'-like proportions," said Moviefone editor Scott Robson.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

That's a great story...but I couldn't help thinking....who the heck got the other 5%?!
"I’d rather live in his world…..than live without him….in mine."                                       (Midnight Train to Georgia)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1002 on: Sep 06, 2008, 04:03 PM »
That's a great story...but I couldn't help thinking....who the heck got the other 5%?!

Someone who didn't deserve it probably, because they should've gone to Heath  :P

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #1003 on: Sep 06, 2008, 10:38 PM »

I'm sure the other 5% was divided among the dozen others -- no doubt by the 5% of other people who have their favorites.  A few votes here, a few votes there.  Maybe they've always loved Hellboy and always hated Batman for some perverse reason and didn't even see TDK.    ^*() to those people.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline sportstalk23

• Alma
  • E&J 4EVER
« Reply #1004 on: Sep 07, 2008, 06:24 PM »
who the heck got the other 5%

isnt it obvious someones relatives  ;D

Offline jessicat80

• Ennis
  • until we meet again
« Reply #1005 on: Sep 09, 2008, 04:12 PM »

isnt it obvious someones relatives  ;D

;D ;D ;D Totally!

I guess also though, that even with earning over 500 million dollars, there's a chance that 5 % of people in the world just haven't seen his amazing performance, so that's why they didn't vote for it ;)

Offline sportstalk23

• Alma
  • E&J 4EVER
« Reply #1006 on: Sep 14, 2008, 02:39 PM »
;D ;D ;D Totally!

I guess also though, that even with earning over 500 million dollars, there's a chance that 5 % of people in the world just haven't seen his amazing performance, so that's why they didn't vote for it ;)

Jess I have seen people comment on youtube over the dark knight stuff and have the nerve to say they have never seen any of Heath's work before this  ::) like what where have these people been living in a cave for a decade apparently

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #1007 on: Sep 18, 2008, 10:16 AM »
I've found in a French forum these pics about the release of Heath's bar; I think he will be proud,wherever he's now...

Five leaves, le bar d’Heath Ledger, a ouvert à New York

Son ultime projet

L’acteur australien mort en début d’année avait investi dans un bar, qui ouvre aujourd’hui à New York.
Il aura fallu attendre huit mois pour que le bar d’Heath Ledger, Five leaves, ouvre enfin ses portes aujourd’hui. L’acteur avait choisi le quartier de Brooklyn pour s’installer.

« C’est un endroit très cosy avec des tendances légèrement australiennes et californiennes. Un café qui fait bar à huîtres et propose également des snacks », révèle en avant-première le site américain UrbanDaddy.com. Fives leaves ressemble à « un bar construit par Thomas Edison (inventeur du télégraphe) pour y recevoir ses amis ».

Quant à la carte, vous pourrez, entre autres, y déguster de fines tranches de radis sur des toasts avec du beurre Evans Farmhouse. Par contre, nous ne connaissons pas encore la carte des prix de cet endroit, digne des décors des plus grands films de Tim Burton. Le bar d’Heath Ledger est situé à Brooklyn, la ville où est installée son ex-compagne Michelle Williams, avec sa fille Mathilda Rose.

Five Leaves, the hotly anticipated bar from first time restaurateurs Jud Mongell and Kathy Mecham and once backed by Heath Ledger, is now open to the public for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It occupies a strange triangular space, giving it a lot of light, and has a subtle nautical theme (the door to the bathroom is an old ship door). If you've been to Smith & Mills or Williamsburg's Moto, you'll immediately recognize the handiwork of designer John McCormick.

The food has a slightly Australian bent (owners are from Down Under), but is pretty standard, affordable fare. The lunch menu features a $13 burger and a selection of sandwiches and salads in the under $10 range. Breakfast is pastries and coffees (which can be procured through a window to the side of the bar), along with pancakes and eggs. Of course, by the looks of the space we're expecting a sizable bar crowd as well. And a bonus: owners Jud and Kathy live just down the street, so you can expect to see them on the premises.

Five Leaves
Nautical themed, Australian, Cocktails
18 Bedford Ave., Williamsburg; 646 510 6467
Open for b,l,d until 2 a.m.

Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline Matt Nasty

• formerly zankou1991
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I LOVE JAKE
« Reply #1008 on: Sep 18, 2008, 10:54 AM »
it looks awsome!

Offline ynnaf

• Lureen
« Reply #1009 on: Sep 20, 2008, 08:46 AM »
I met Heath Ledger in 2000. I was working on From Hell and he was shooting A Knights Tale which were both being shot in and around Prague.

It was one of the best and worst times of my life - I was in a Hollywood movie, shooting scenes with Johnny Depp and Robbie Coltrane but behind all the glitz and the glamour there was a sour taste to the whole experience: I (unlike many of the other actors working on the film), had been out in Prague for nearly three months, it was lonely living out of a hotel room and I had terrible anxiety and self doubt with regards to my part in the movie itself - coupled with some unpleasant incidents on set, I felt very isolated and vulnerable.

One evening during that time, some of the actors from my film had arranged to meet some of the actors from the other film at a night spot in Prague and I happened to be in that very same bar when they arrived. Out of everyone who was there, it was Heath who asked me if I would like to join their party, some of the guys had said hello to me when they arrived and Heath had deduced I must have been working on the other film and that I was on my own.

I had a really great time that night, and on a couple occasions Heath invited me over to his apartment to hang out with his friends. It was on one of those occasions that this photo was taken. Heath had discovered that I was an artist and that I was also a photographer and he had with him an old bashed up camera which he handed to me and asked if I wouldn't mind taking some shots of him and Heather Graham.

That will be my enduring memory of him - how he was completely genuine and his startling kindness - he made me feel included when I had been excluded and made my memories of Prague a great deal happier than they might have been... I can't imagine how devastated the people who knew him well must be.

I wanted to share this with the dA community as it's been reported that far right extremists intend to picket and disrupt his funeral. Know this, Heath Ledger was a good person, a kind person: please don't let anyone persuade you otherwise. His loss should be mourned, not mocked.

http://nottheredbaron.deviantart.com/art/Heath-and-Heather-75602428

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1010 on: Sep 20, 2008, 10:24 AM »
This was written by a former teacher of Heath, two days after he died.

Carpe Diem: In the Shadow of Death, Is Life Passing You By?

I have been in a strange place the last few days.

As a teacher at Heath Ledger’s school when he was no more than a bright face at the back of a classroom, I have been deeply and profoundly touched by his death.

In my eternally countrified home town Heath is an almost mythical creature - the down-to-earth boy who somehow sprouted wings and soared all the way to Hollywood, a la the Peter Pan of his youthful acting days.

I can say that there is a pall over the city today.

And while we do not mourn the daily passing of any other residents of our city any the less, there is something very wrong about such a bright young star plummeting back to earth.

Death should not visit one who seems to stand so tall. It should nip at his heels and be jostled aside as he leaps and bounds through his abundant life.

And it is in that realisation that death touches us all.

For if life can pass by the Heath Ledgers of the world, what about the rest of us with our feet firmly rooted in the earth?

Does your life pass you by, camouflaged by the little things that have no place in the epic stories of our world?

I remember the anticipation with which I viewed the world at the age of 28.

Are the dreams and hopes any dimmer since those days?

And so in the shadow of death a little perspective returns…

Carpe diem!

For if ever a school boy taught us to seize the day it is Heath Ledger.

Life is short, but it can be very sweet and even those of us from small, quiet places can soar high and far.

Deepest condolences to the Ledger family and many thanks for letting us bask in the brightness of your cherished son.

http://outfitinspirations.com/blog/carpe-diem-in-the-shadow-of-death-is-life-passing-you-by/

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1011 on: Sep 20, 2008, 10:30 AM »

And while we do not mourn the daily passing of any other residents of our city any the less, there is something very wrong about such a bright young star plummeting back to earth.

Death should not visit one who seems to stand so tall. It should nip at his heels and be jostled aside as he leaps and bounds through his abundant life.

God, that was so sad and so beautifully stated  :\'(
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

babytammy7

« Reply #1012 on: Sep 20, 2008, 12:07 PM »
Thank you, Keren...That was so very moving and beautifully written. The part Michelle quoted made me cry too.

Carpe diem has always been my motto. Life is so short, so LIVE!!

Thank you for this, Alicia. It's awesome, and I know Heath had been very proud of it. I wish I could visit.

I feel so sad knowing that Heath was so excited about this and now he can't be there to enjoying it. **sad sigh**  :\'( :\'(

Offline Matt Nasty

• formerly zankou1991
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I LOVE JAKE
« Reply #1013 on: Sep 20, 2008, 01:06 PM »
Thank you, Keren...That was so very moving and beautifully written. The part Michelle quoted made me cry too.

Carpe diem has always been my motto. Life is so short, so LIVE!!

Thank you for this, Alicia. It's awesome, and I know Heath had been very proud of it. I wish I could visit.

I feel so sad knowing that Heath was so excited about this and now he can't be there to enjoying it. **sad sigh**  :\'( :\'(
i know he cant physically be there at the opening but i beleive he can still be present there in spirit and still feel proud of his acomplishment. i too wish i could visit...and who knows, its not impossible to go. maybe some of us will get the cance one day.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1014 on: Sep 20, 2008, 02:29 PM »
i know he cant physically be there at the opening but i beleive he can still be present there in spirit and still feel proud of his acomplishment. i too wish i could visit...and who knows, its not impossible to go. maybe some of us will get the cance one day.

I agree and it would be amazing if some brokies could get to go and visit, I'd love to see pictures of that.  :)

It still makes me sad to think that Heath had this amazing vision and its come to fruition, but he's not here to appreciate it himself.... :(

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1015 on: Sep 20, 2008, 02:38 PM »

This is a gorgeous and genuinely moving account of how Heath touched someone's life and how the memory of it lingered.  If I remember rightly, the person retelling this account was asked by Heath to take a picture of him and his then girlfriend Heather Graham. That pic's been posted a few times on the Oh Baby pics thread and it really is one of the most romantic pics I've seen... <^( <^(

babytammy7

« Reply #1016 on: Sep 20, 2008, 02:40 PM »
Oh, we have to plan a Brokie gathering there in NY to see Heath's cafe bar!!! I wanna go...

I think about him so so much these days and I need to do something like this...

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1017 on: Sep 20, 2008, 03:16 PM »
I have a few places I wanna go to when I make it to NY. Brooklin, Washington square, Broom Street, this bar...

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1018 on: Sep 20, 2008, 05:59 PM »
[...]
http://outfitinspirations.com/blog/carpe-diem-in-the-shadow-of-death-is-life-passing-you-by/

:ghug: :\'( Thank you, ynnaf, keren  :ghug:

Reading Heath's kindness to strangers in Prague reminds me why we love him, because he could sense emotionally when a stranger felt isolated and miserable in a foreign country. Unlike most of us, he took up the responsibility of having that gift of extra-sensory perception, and made the strange felt included, among friends. Heath was gifted, not only in abilities, but also in his heart of gold, generous, compassionate and loving. That's why Brokeback Mountain is a special movie, because Heath made it so...through his gifts of making everyone he touched, feeling loved and included. Even Ang Lee said, there was a special atmosphere of love on the set.

I could only go so far, reading the teacher's account, with dry eyes. The words "the down-to-earth boy who somehow sprouted wings" are so perfectly descriptive of Heath, that tears are not enough to mourn his passing, of our loss.

Thanks my friends, for sharing what you found.  :ghug: :^^) :\'(

Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #1019 on: Sep 21, 2008, 12:06 AM »
This was written by a former teacher of Heath, two days after he died.

For if life can pass by the Heath Ledgers of the world, what about the rest of us with our feet firmly rooted in the earth?

Thank you, Keren.  All of this piece is so beautiful.  So sad...yet the best thing that can happen from losing Heath is learning from his special example to live and love more freely.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.