Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 646890 times)

Offline Hanna

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #1230 on: Jan 16, 2009, 02:44 PM »
New tributes by colleagues and friends:
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20252991,00.html

Oh God  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(
You've changed things. Forever. There's no going back.

babytammy7

« Reply #1231 on: Jan 16, 2009, 04:11 PM »
I'm always honest with you, so I'll be one more time.

I don't like that tribute. I read some lines very disturbing, at least for me...and now I'm confused....and my perception of Heath is a little bit different now, because I learned things about him I didn't know and others I suspected but I kept telling myself that were not real.

I feel down, surprised....Hell, so sad!!!

And then I read the comments on that page. Some of them were nice and moving....most of them hard, awful and even cruel.

So I'm mad too. My stomach hurts. I wish I never had read that.

Just my honest thoughts here. I'm just very emotional these days....As a said to Tony, I lost my job, and I'll have to leave just one day before Heath's death anniversary, so I'll be dealing with two hard sad situations at the same time (Tony will be doing the same, because he said to all you that he'll have to leave his home...that week too). So I'm just feeling weird, out of place...And reading things like "He felt alone and isolated and was not happy during BBM", the time I imagined him the happiest with Michelle, Heath and doing what he loved with Ang Lee, the genius, just freaks me out.

Is it possible for a heart to keep beating after breaking a million times already? I don't know....

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #1232 on: Jan 16, 2009, 04:31 PM »
   Dear Tammy - that article floored me, too.  It was, at times, contrary to what we had been led to believe.  Still, maybe one issue is settled:  that Jake and Heath were, in fact, close.  There are some who want to say otherwise.  But when Jake was told of Heath's death, he didn't weep, he wailed.
That speaks to a great hurt. The source of that, Mr. Schamus, the producer of BBM, is someone I absolutely trust.
   Hang in there, everybody - we knew we'd have a rough time as the anniversary approaches.  We'll just have to get by as best as we can.  Tony.

babytammy7

« Reply #1233 on: Jan 16, 2009, 04:38 PM »
   Still, maybe one issue is settled:  that Jake and Heath were, in fact, close.  There are some who want to say otherwise.  But when Jake was told of Heath's death, he didn't weep, he wailed.
That speaks to a great hurt. The source of that, Mr. Schamus, the producer of BBM, is someone I absolutely trust.

Tony...I know. I didn't want to quote that line because when I read it I totally lost it. The idea of Jake being shattered and then that bunch of bad people telling that he didn't care, well, it's too much for me....

I can't take this. It's all coming back, so fast and hard.

I wish someone was here to hug me.

Offline ynnaf

• Lureen
« Reply #1234 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:08 PM »
James Shamus:

It was one of those ''where were you on the day Kennedy was shot'' moments. I called Jake and remember wailing.

I think Mr. Shamus was the one wailing. That's how i understand it.

Most tributes are great, but others sad. :(

I hope everything will be fine for you Tammy.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #1235 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:30 PM »
Aww, Tammy, I'm so sorry to hear about your personal troubles on top of everything... :\'( this is a hard time as it is, and I know how difficult it is for you. I wish too that I could be there to give you a real hug.

I don't like that tribute. I read some lines very disturbing, at least for me...and now I'm confused....and my perception of Heath is a little bit different now, because I learned things about him I didn't know and others I suspected but I kept telling myself that were not real.

I don't really know what to say, because I don't know in what ways the article changed your perception of Heath. It was heartbreaking for me to read the tributes, from several reasons, but the things I read didn't come as a surprise to me, nor did I feel that they were completely different from what I was led to believe, because I wasn't led to believe anything. I knew that filming Brokeback was a difficult and lonely experience for him because he said so in interviews. I knew that hardly getting any feedback from Ang for his efforts during the filming was difficult for him because he said that. I knew that he hated talk shows and that he hated all the media circus that followed and that the awards stressed him out immensly, because I've heard that before. All of that doesn't mean that he wasn't incredibly proud of the movie, or that he regretted doing it. none of that made me think any less of him.

what was upsetting for me was to read about the pain of all these friends of him, to read all the things they said about the amazing person that he was, to realize again how rare and special and one of a kind he was - becuase that just makes the loss even more unbearable. what was upsetting for me was to read that one of his friends thought he died of a broken heart, because I can't bear to think about him being so miserable. and I can't bear to think about all the people in his life who're missing him so much.

A big hug to you honey...  :ghug:
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

babytammy7

« Reply #1236 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:40 PM »

what was upsetting for me was to read that one of his friends thought he died of a broken heart, because I can't bear to think about him being so miserable. and I can't bear to think about all the people in his life who're missing him so much.

Yeah, baby, that's one of those hard lines I was talking about. You read that he was sad during BBM and then you read he was stressed because of the awards, and then you read that he died of a broken heart, and then you get the unbearable idea that Heath suffered so damn much, and it's too much, because you all keep saying that he was so happy and felt complete, but I don't think so, not anymore...and it hurts, Keren, so much, you know?

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1237 on: Jan 16, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Of all the people in the world, why him??

WHY???

He Came

He Conquered

He Left

Heath was here for a purpose. He lived every moment to the fullest, in every project.

Whatever the reason, I am sure he accomplished what he was meant to accomplish, and will be happy for all eternity knowing it.

:ghug: everyone  :ghug:

Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #1238 on: Jan 17, 2009, 01:41 AM »
I tend to think Heath felt "sad and isolated" on the BBM set partly because he was being Ennis.  It's not like it was a zany-fun set like Brothers Grimm, after all.  And it's common knowledge how Ang was an odd director -- not like he created this happy family on the set.  All of this probably goes to the intense experience that BBM was.  But as to Heath, that's where I think he was at, in the beginning...and then came Michelle.

As to his being either sad or happy, he was both, yes?  Just like we all are, but he maybe had more high highs and more low lows.  Not like manic-depressive, I don't mean that, but like just really being wherever he was being, living fully in the present.

Who said that maybe he had some aborigine in him?  I liked that.  Where the "old soul" came from.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1239 on: Jan 17, 2009, 06:17 AM »

Yeah, baby, that's one of those hard lines I was talking about. You read that he was sad during BBM and then you read he was stressed because of the awards, and then you read that he died of a broken heart, and then you get the unbearable idea that Heath suffered so damn much, and it's too much, because you all keep saying that he was so happy and felt complete, but I don't think so, not anymore...and it hurts, Keren, so much, you know?

I know. But I don't think that he was unhappy in life in a general way, or that he suffered more then most people. He had both good times and bad times. I agree a lot with what Kathy said, I think that the BBM experience was hard for him because he was being Ennis and he felt and experienced what Ennis was going through, that's what Ang intended to create. But when Michelle came and they fell in love he must have been so happy, don't you think? And he wasn't lonely then. And then when Matilda was born he said that he's never been so happy and felt so complete. He did live his life to the fullest.

And what his friend said about him dying of a broken heart, yes it hurts like hell to think about it, but that's only what his friend thought. A break up is never easy, especially when a little child is involved, so naturally it was a very hard time for him, but at the same time he did things that he loved and he had so much joy and satisfaction from his work. You've heard what his father said about how happy he was when he played the Joker and how much fun he had doing that, you've read what Terry Gilliam said about how his work energized him and made him happy. He had good times as well as bad times, and he knew pain as well as joy. Everybody goes through rough periods in life when they feel down, it doesn't mean that their lives are like that all the time.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1240 on: Jan 17, 2009, 06:42 PM »
I tend to think Heath felt "sad and isolated" on the BBM set partly because he was being Ennis.  It's not like it was a zany-fun set like Brothers Grimm, after all.  And it's common knowledge how Ang was an odd director -- not like he created this happy family on the set.  All of this probably goes to the intense experience that BBM was.  But as to Heath, that's where I think he was at, in the beginning...and then came Michelle.

I agree with you kathy, this is how I took it, his time on the Brothers Grimm set must have been so different to BBM..but they were two competely different films, in terms of theme, location and mood....that doesnt mean to say Heath didnt get anything good or positive out of it...which we know he did.
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1241 on: Jan 17, 2009, 06:44 PM »

I feel down, surprised....Hell, so sad!!!

And then I read the comments on that page. Some of them were nice and moving....most of them hard, awful and even cruel.

So I'm mad too. My stomach hurts. I wish I never had read that.

Just my honest thoughts here. I'm just very emotional these days....As a said to Tony, I lost my job, and I'll have to leave just one day before Heath's death anniversary, so I'll be dealing with two hard sad situations at the same time (Tony will be doing the same, because he said to all you that he'll have to leave his home...that week too). So I'm just feeling weird, out of place...And reading things like "He felt alone and isolated and was not happy during BBM", the time I imagined him the happiest with Michelle, Heath and doing what he loved with Ang Lee, the genius, just freaks me out.

Is it possible for a heart to keep beating after breaking a million times already? I don't know....

Aww Tammy, I'm sorry to hear that you didnt like the tribute and it made you sad..... :ghug:  It was hard for me too, and reading some quotes was like reading someone's diary in parts, but these were his friends and they loved him and thats what we need to remember.  Sending you lots of hugs  :ghug: :ghug: :ghug:

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1242 on: Jan 17, 2009, 09:35 PM »
I haven't read much about the working conditions on the various movie sets, and I don't know the specifics of Brothers Grimm or Brokeback Mountain.

However, I recall reading a lot of different anecdotes relating Heath's contribution to the filming of Brokeback Mountain, i.e. the story of the shirts as related by Ossana, and many others, that point to the movie being a place where Heath was able to create at his best. Every director, every crew and every movie has a different atmosphere, just as every work place has a different culture. There is no "right" or "better". It simply is.

I also do not put much weight on any ONE person's statement in one particular publication. I appreciate the new material in the tribute from EW for the unknown anecdotes, and insights. I doubt very much that Heath died of a broken heart, as speculated, because he was stronger and more filled with hopes and dreams than any ordinary mortal. He jumped out of bed everyday impatient to do everything...just as he sat for his exams at 16, so he could get on with life after school. He knew life had a lot to offer him, and he was restless to tackle it head-on. His death was an accident, due to a combination of different factors, from the medication, the pneumonia, the stress, the lack of sleep, the weakened condition after working in London, with its unhealthy airs. Heath was physically exhausted.

I am sorry, Tammy,  :ghug: for the stress you are going through. I hope you can separate the two events, Heath's anniversary, and your own situation, dealing with each on its own. I agree with Tony that for Heath, a day of silence would not, in my humble opinion, be the best way to remember him. I plan on watching Ten Things I Hate About You, which is a celebration of life, of living, what Heath always did.

:ghug: Everyone  :ghug:

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #1243 on: Jan 18, 2009, 12:10 AM »
I haven't read much about the working conditions on the various movie sets, and I don't know the specifics of Brothers Grimm or Brokeback Mountain.

However, I recall reading a lot of different anecdotes relating Heath's contribution to the filming of Brokeback Mountain, i.e. the story of the shirts as related by Ossana, and many others, that point to the movie being a place where Heath was able to create at his best. Every director, every crew and every movie has a different atmosphere, just as every work place has a different culture. There is no "right" or "better". It simply is.

I also do not put much weight on any ONE person's statement in one particular publication. I appreciate the new material in the tribute from EW for the unknown anecdotes, and insights. I doubt very much that Heath died of a broken heart, as speculated, because he was stronger and more filled with hopes and dreams than any ordinary mortal. He jumped out of bed everyday impatient to do everything...just as he sat for his exams at 16, so he could get on with life after school. He knew life had a lot to offer him, and he was restless to tackle it head-on. His death was an accident, due to a combination of different factors, from the medication, the pneumonia, the stress, the lack of sleep, the weakened condition after working in London, with its unhealthy airs. Heath was physically exhausted.

I am sorry, Tammy,  :ghug: for the stress you are going through. I hope you can separate the two events, Heath's anniversary, and your own situation, dealing with each on its own. I agree with Tony that for Heath, a day of silence would not, in my humble opinion, be the best way to remember him. I plan on watching Ten Things I Hate About You, which is a celebration of life, of living, what Heath always did.

:ghug: Everyone  :ghug:

Thanks for pointing that out, LC.  Absolutely, what you said, that he was happier and more filled with plans and dreams than most people.  Sure, he was heartbroken over Michelle and Matilda, but I'd bet a lot that it wasn't like splitsville forever, on either side.  I'm sure he held out hope that they'd get back together, at least in some way, to share Matilda in a healthy way.  But certainly his death was due only to an extremely weakened condition and the wrong meds.  A freak accident.  That's the worst, in a way.  It's not like he was someone who really wanted to leave this life...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ennis for Mr Brokeback 2007!!!
« Reply #1244 on: Jan 18, 2009, 12:12 PM »
I only just realised that the Oscar nominations are on thursday

The 81st Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Thursday, January 22, 2009, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592)

Heath, I swear ...

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1245 on: Jan 18, 2009, 01:27 PM »

The 81st Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Thursday, January 22, 2009, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

And Heath is gonna be on it

Offline Emzan

• Jack + Ennis
  • I Miss You My Beautiful Baby
« Reply #1246 on: Jan 18, 2009, 04:15 PM »
And Heath is gonna be on it

It's going to be a hard day :-\\ :\'(
Nuke the EFF on!!

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
« Reply #1247 on: Jan 18, 2009, 04:46 PM »

It's going to be a hard day :-\\ :\'(

:ghug: :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: :ghug:
"The day I stop having fun, I'll just walk away." -- Heath Ledger

"For a moment in our lives, forever in our hearts." -- Heath Ledger, 1/22/08

"In the dark, I really felt like I could escape to anywhere.
To a place where anything could happen at any time.
Where chaos could reign but the world would never end."
-- Noah Mayer

As the World Turns -- April 2, 1956 - September 17, 2010

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ennis for Mr Brokeback 2007!!!
« Reply #1248 on: Jan 19, 2009, 02:45 PM »

right back at you all

sorry for OT
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592)

Heath, I swear ...

Offline white_angel

• Alma
  • You're the only one for me, Heath Ledger
« Reply #1249 on: Jan 19, 2009, 05:45 PM »

Just like the 66th Golden Globe Award. Heath Ledger will reign the crowd and get the most awaited award.
As we cheer. Heath will continue to live  and never be forgotten.
Can't take my eyes off of you Heath.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1250 on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:39 AM »
Ledger’s death mourned a year on
22nd January 2009, 17:15 WST

It has been a year since the world mourned the sudden death of WA-born actor Heath Ledger who, in a tragic twist of irony, is likely be nominated for a prestigious Academy Award on the first anniversary of his death.

Ledger is almost certain to be nominated for a best supporting actor Oscar for playing The Joker in The Dark Knight, due to be announced about 10.30pm.

His family will use Ledger’s much-loved Cottesloe beach to officially speak to the world’s media tomorrow morning.

But while the Golden Globe winner has been lauded the world over for his acting ability, questions remain over whether more should be done in Ledger’s hometown to recognise his talent.

Industry friends and colleagues of Ledger, including actress Rachel Griffiths and filmmaker Gregor Jordan, set up a scholarship in his name last year, with the first recipient due to be announced soon.

According to the scholarship’s website, the Australians in Film Heath Ledger Scholarship will “provide talented Australian actors in the early stage of their careers the chance to travel to the US to further their training and international acting opportunities”.

In December, WA Premier-elect Colin Barnett opted to remove Ledger’s name from the State’s new performing arts venue in Northbridge, instead adding it to the name of the main theatre to be built inside the centre.

The Liberal–Nationals Government backed away from Labor’s naming plan after members of Perth’s arts community said it was a cynical marketing exercise because he was not a theatre actor.

This week, the State Opposition slammed the decision to reverse naming Perth’s new theatre complex after Ledger, with Shadow Arts Minister Ben Wyatt saying WA had given away a chance to be part of this week’s international celebration.

In the wake of Ledger winning a series of international acting awards for his role as the Joker, Mr Wyatt said the theatre would have been the ideal way to acknowledge Ledger and ensure his legacy was there to benefit the State.

“He’s the hot favourite to win the Academy Award, the person who had the capacity by name, the reputation and world regard to bring the spotlight to Western Australia and Western Australian theatre…and we’ve gone and renamed the theatre the State Theatre,” Mr Wyatt said.

“Having a monument or such, I daresay, wouldn’t have anywhere near the impact of naming the theatre after him.

“That way when you have Australian talent showcasing their skills in a theatre named after the late Heath Ledger, it’s a name the world recognises.

“The world doesn’t recognise the State Theatre of Western Australia. It’s petty politics by Colin Barnett and I think it’s something he will live to regret.”

The office of the Minister for Culture and the Arts confirmed there were currently no plans in the pipeline to officially commemorate the life of Ledger.

However, Ledger’s former school, Guildford Grammar, has paid tribute to the late actor in several ways.

The boys’ school has named its annual senior student drama prize in his honour, along with also having a photographic portrait of Ledger on display in the school’s theatre.

Trell Baynham, 18, was the inaugural recipient of the Heath Ledger Drama Prize in December.

The school further cemented its interest in promoting the talent and legacy of Ledger by obtaining a copy of the 2008 Archibald Prize people’s choice winner - a haunting portrait of Ledger painted shortly before his death.

PERTH
JAYNE RICKARD AND AAP/AP

:\'(  :\'(

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=5&ContentID=120077
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1251 on: Jan 22, 2009, 09:46 AM »

http://media.www.capitalchimes.com/media/storage/paper1195/news/2009/01/22/Entertainment/Remembering.Ledger.A.Year.To.The.Date-3593416.shtml

----------------------------------------------

Remembering Ledger a year to the date
Emma Bigelow
Issue date: 1/22/09

While so many great things happened this week in history, including Martin Luther King Jr. Day and the inauguration of President Obama, it is also a sad time in the world of entertainment.
Exactly one year ago today, actor Heath Ledger was found dead in his apartment in New York City. Although rumors still fly about an alleged suicide, the official autopsy report indicates that he died due to an accidental overdose of various prescribed medications that produced a toxic blend.
His untimely death was tragic and still seems a bit unreal, especially after viewing Ledger's amazing performance as the Joker in this past summer's masterpiece, "The Dark Knight".
Since Ledger's death he has received numerous awards for his portrayal of the Batman villain and at the Golden Globes, he won the award for Best Supporting Actor. While his performance in "The Dark Knight" caused quite a stir for fans and critics alike, it is not certain the he will receive an Oscar.
Over the history of the Academy Awards, 70 nominations have been given out to those already deceased. These awards have resulted in 13 wins, but most of the posthumous winners were not in the main categories and represent costume design, sound editing, or make-up. James Dean is probably the most well known nominee of posthumous Oscars, receiving one each for "East of Eden" and "Giant" in the mid-1950's. It goes without saying that if Ledger does indeed receive a nomination it will be the most significant posthumous nomination of our time.
Even though we cannot predict what kind of recognition Ledger may or may not receive, we can take a moment to celebrate all of the remarkable work that Ledger was a part of and the incredible life that he lead.
Ledger was originally an Australian actor. He finally broke through in the U.S. with his performance in the romantic comedy, "Ten Things I Hate About You," which was a modern teen version of the Shakespeare play "The Taming of the Shrew". The movie was a success, but Ledger ventured outside the norm of a teen heartthrob and wound up taking bold risks with his career. He did perform in some big budget hits including "The Patriot," which starred fellow Aussi Mel Gibson, as well as "A Knight's Tale."
These early works were just the beginning to an outstanding career that showcased more than just box-office acting. Ledger took a break from the typical cinematic film to do more low key ones such as The "Four Feathers" and "Ned Kelly." He eventually got the chance to work on artistic films and got the chance of a lifetime to star aside Jake Gyllenhaal in the controversial love story, "Brokeback Mountain." This performance earned Ledger nominations for both the Academy Award and the Golden Globe.
After this breakthough performance that truly showed Ledger's talent and commitment to excellence in the art of acting, Ledger took on roles in "Casanova," "Candy," and "I'm Not There."
Ledger's performance in "The Dark Knight" is certainly how many will remember him, and while Ledger left behind his legacy of film, he also left behind his daughter, Matilda. Her mother is actress Michelle Williams, whom Ledger met on the set of Brokeback Mountain along with Matilda's godfather, Jake Gyllenhaal. Matilda will be four years old this October and many of Ledger's friends and family confirm that there is no possible way he would have taken his own life and left behind his daughter. His close friends also indicated that becoming a father was a shining moment for him and one of his greatest accomplishments.
It is too soon to say what the future will bring for Ledger at the Academy Awards. They air on February 22nd and the nominations are announced today, the one-year anniversary of Ledger's passing. He is certainly eligible and qualified for the award and hopefully he is recognized by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. If he does not win, or does not even receive a nomination, it does not mean that he wasn't a beloved actor, father, and friend. His film career will officially end with the release of "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus." Although he could not finish his role, director Terry Gilliam hired Jude Law, Johnny Depp, and Colin Farrell to complete Ledger's part of Tony so that his final film could be finished. A release date is not yet set for the United States, but it will be released in the U.K. in June of 2009.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1252 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Exactly 1 year after death, Heath Ledger's legacy grows

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090122/entertainment/20090122_oscars_heath_ledger

Thu Jan 22, 2:49 PM

By Jake Coyle, The Associated Press
ADVERTISEMENT

NEW YORK - Last year's Oscar nominations day was tragic. This year's was bittersweet.

It was exactly one year ago Thursday when Heath Ledger was found dead in a New York apartment, just hours after the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had announced its nominees. Outside the Soho building, a makeshift memorial of flowers and candles quickly accumulated.

The academy paid its own tribute to the actor Thursday by nominating him for best supporting actor, honouring his mad, incendiary performance as the Joker in "The Dark Knight."

"Today was the day," said Josh Brolin, who last year was celebrating the Oscar success of "No Country for Old Men" when the news on Ledger broke. "It was a very sad day. I knew Heath loosely. I think it's a great performance. It's a very bittersweet thing."

"The Dark Knight" earned eight nominations in total, but was shut out of other major award categories. Ledger's nomination, though, came as expected.

Ledger, who died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs at the age of 28, was nominated along with Brolin ("Milk"), Robert Downey Jr. ("Tropic Thunder"), Philip Seymour Hoffman ("Doubt") and Michael Shannon ("Revolutionary Road").

Many expect Ledger to win when the awards are handed out Feb. 22, which would make him only the second actor to posthumously win an Oscar following Peter Finch in 1976's "Network."

Other actors have been nominated after their deaths, though: Massimo Troisi (1994's "The Postman"), Spencer Tracy (1967's "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"), Ralph Richardson, (1984's "Greystroke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes"), Jeanne Eagles (1929's "The Letter") and James Dean (twice, for 1955's "East of Eden and 1956's "Giant").

At the time of Ledger's death, comparisons to Dean were rife - and perhaps always will be. Both were young, provocative talents snuffed out just as they were reaching full expression. But since "The Dark Knight" was released, Ledger seemed to make a mythology of his own.

A groundswell of acclaim and sentiment has coalesced around his performance. When the Golden Globes awarded him best supporting actor, the crowd stood in applause - the first standing-O of the night - as "Dark Knight" director Christopher Nolan accepted the award for Ledger.

"That really hit us in the heart, you know?" his father, Kim Ledger, later said of the ovation. "I just really wish our boy was here to see that."

At the podium, Nolan said he and those who worked on "The Dark Knight" accepted the award "with an awful mixture of sadness but incredible pride. After Heath passed, you saw a hole ripped in the future of cinema."

Ledger's mother, Sally Bell, has said his Golden Globe would be given to his three-year-old daughter Matilda.

"I just saw 'The Dark Knight,"' said Richard Jenkins, nominated for best actor for his performance in "The Visitor." "He's extraordinary in it. I think the response that his win got at the Golden Globes is kind of how everyone feels. He was a brilliant, brilliant actor."

A spokeswoman for Warner Bros. said Nolan and others from "The Dark Knight" would not have reaction to the nominations. A spokeswoman for actress Michelle Williams, the mother of Ledger's daughter, said Williams would also not be commenting on Ledger's nomination.

Ledger's family was to hold a brief press conference in Perth, Australia on Friday morning.

It's the second Oscar nomination for Ledger, who was nominated for best actor in 2006 for his performance as a gruff-voiced, gay cowboy in "Brokeback Mountain." Before the Joker came along, it was his most indelible role. He lost the Oscar to Philip Seymour Hoffman ("Capote").

Ledger's Hollywood career essentially started with the romantic comedy "10 Things I Hate About You" and continued with Mel Gibson's "The Patriot" and the medieval adventure "A Knight's Tale." But Ledger began gravitating more toward indie fare, like "Monster's Ball," "Lords of Dogtown" and "The Brothers Grimm."

In 2007, he played one of many Bob Dylans in the unusual biopic "I'm Not There." Ledger's musical side will also be posthumously displayed on an upcoming album paying tribute to singer-songwriter Nick Drake. On it, Ledger covers "Black Eyed Dog," which he recorded in 2007 for an art installation.

Ledger's posthumous on-screen life isn't over yet, either. He died while in the midst of production on "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus," which re-teamed him with "Brothers Grimm" director Terry Gilliam.

After Ledger's death, Gilliam had to shut down "Dr. Parnassus" and the film's future was in doubt since Ledger was a key performer in a film that had much still to shoot.

But Gilliam and writer Charles McKeown rewrote the script (it's about a journey through the imagination via a magic mirror) so that the part could be played by not one, but a group of actors. Jude Law, Johnny Depp and Colin Farrell all joined to round out the part.

Gilliam has insisted Ledger was clean of illegal drugs at the time of his death, but rather was suffering from insomnia. The director is currently cutting "Dr. Parnassus," which doesn't yet have a release date.

Whatever might still be seen of Ledger's work, though, a sense of loss was pervasive on the anniversary of his death.

"He would have been nominated either way. It has nothing to do with his passing," said Ron Howard, who was nominated for directing "Frost/Nixon." It's a great piece of acting, and I, as a creative person, feel cheated in knowing I'll never have the opportunity to work with him."

-

Associated Press reporters John Carucci in New York and Derrik J. Lang in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1253 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:50 AM »
Sydney Morning Herald

Ledger sisters honour Heath

2009-01-23 15:54:46
Kate Ledger and Ashleigh Bell speak about the Oscar nomination for their late brother, Heath Ledger.
(01:34)

http://media.smh.com.au/?category=Breaking%20News&rid=45482

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #1254 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:56 AM »
Sydney Morning Herald

Kate Ledger and Ashleigh Bell speak about the Oscar nomination for their late brother, Heath Ledger.

Andrew, thanks so much, friend.  :^^)  I'll look forward to watching this, probably tomorrow.  Today I just don't have the fortitude.

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #1255 on: Jan 23, 2009, 01:55 AM »
Sydney Morning Herald

Thanks, Andrew.

What beautiful, dignified comments from Heath's sisters.
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1256 on: Jan 23, 2009, 04:27 AM »
Sydney Morning Herald

It must be so so hard for them to speak publicly about their grief for Heath, but they manage to do it with such dignity and love...

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1257 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:02 AM »
It must be so so hard for them to speak publicly about their grief for Heath, but they manage to do it with such dignity and love...

Yes they do. they spoke beautifuly, even though their hearts are broken. Andrew, thank you so much for posting this.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #1258 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:16 AM »
Sydney Morning Herald

Thank you,Andrew; it's a moving and lovely tribute...Yes,it must be horrible for them speaking in public in such a hard occasion; they're full of love to their brother... :\'(
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1259 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:32 AM »
A friend remembers Heath Ledger on the one-year anniversary of his death

BY SHEKHAR KAPUR

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2009/01/22/2009-01-22_a_friend_remembers_heath_ledger_on_the_o.html

Acclaimed director Shekhar Kapur, best known for the "Elizabeth" movies, cast the then-22-year-old Heath Ledger for his 2002 epic, "The Four Feathers." The two remained close friends over the years. In a phone conversation on the night of Jan. 21, 2008, Kapur is believed to be the last person to have talked to the actor before he went to sleep, never to wake up. On the somber occasion of the one-year anniversary of his friend's death, Kapur reminisces about the talented actor's passing.

Time, say philosophers, mystics and quantum scientists, is an illusion. Before the Big Bang there was Eternity. Beginnings and Ends are just means to contextualize our lives within our limited perceptions of a world that surrounds us.

Every now and again a human being is born to remind us of Eternity. Heath Ledger was among those who we quietly whisper prayers for in our quiet moments, wish for in our dreams and have a special place in our everyday thoughts. God knows how many people in this world still carry the pain of his loss. Why did a man who lived amongst us for such a short time and did such few films, leave such a huge imprint on us when he left? I have people writing letters on my Web site who had never seen a Heath Ledger film, who were not fans, but felt the shock and impact of the loss of Heath Ledger. Everyday, ordinary people are still coming to terms with his passing a year later.

Like he was an Angel.

Or the Dark Knight. In which Heath left indelible impressions of incredible humanity behind the garb of evil as The Joker. So much that people went back again and again to the theaters to experience the presence of Heath Ledger. 

I remember a conversation with Robert Richardson, the Director of Photography on "Four Feathers": "Just make sure that the audience are able to look into Heath's eyes. They tell a story of ancient wisdom and all of humanity." Not an easy job for a DP when Heath would so easily break into an Australian crinkle and narrow his eyes, so that the point of light so carefully placed by the DP would search desperately for its subject! I used to tell Heath that he was an ancient soul in a youthful body and mind. That his struggle was between the ancient wisdom he carried in his soul and coming to terms with his youth.

That struggle showed and I - the 'brother from another mother' as he called me - embraced him at those moments.

I wish I was there to embrace him when he passed away. I was so close. But then, it was not meant to be. In his passing he left behind his indelible footprint. As I write this piece, I hear that Heath has bean nominated for the Oscars.

Wherever you are Heath, I can see you crinkling your eyes and laughing your deep laughter and saying, "Hey brother, what do you think of that?" 

Nothing more, nothing less. Everything just was, is, and will be. In Eternity.