Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 646933 times)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #1380 on: May 03, 2009, 12:54 PM »
I just found out that a Perth-based band called Eskimo Joe wrote a song called "Foreign Land" that was ispired by Heath's death.

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2009/may/02/perfect-match/

here's an excerpt:

"Eskimo Joe fans will have their fists pumping to the band's “golden oldies” as well as songs from the new album, Inshalla, which includes the hit single, Foreign Land. The band's Kav Temperley was inspired to write Foreign Land after hearing of Heath Ledger's death in New York. Joel said the band could relate to Heath's loneliness because the members came from the same hometown and they were in New York at the time of his death.

“I think being in the same city, a long way from home, and spending a little bit of time alone there, we sort of felt that he died in a lonely place, a long way from home, and this affected us,” Joel said. “The line 'I smell the blood of an Australian' was about the press's reaction to it (Heath's death), which was some kind of sick feeding frenzy.”

Foreign Land is only one song from the band's new album, which is set to be released on May 29."

This is a link to the song on youtube, sadly I couldn't make out the lyrics.

The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ennis for Mr Brokeback 2007!!!
« Reply #1381 on: May 03, 2009, 04:53 PM »
Thanks Keren x
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592)

Heath, I swear ...

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #1382 on: May 04, 2009, 11:45 AM »
Thanks,Keren,for letting know it¡.It's amazing how many persons really felt Heath's passing and how many tributes and hommages have been done... :\'( :\'( :\'(
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1383 on: May 05, 2009, 08:39 AM »
Thank you Ranchand! ^f^

babytammy7

« Reply #1384 on: May 05, 2009, 01:15 PM »
Thank you so much, Shawn.  :^^)

Powerful lyrics. Makes me feel sad.

Dying in the foreign land
So do you understand that?

:-\\ :-\\

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1385 on: May 08, 2009, 03:28 PM »
The new Esquire issue has a big interview with Christian Bale. There's a small part of it where they asked him about Heath. I really appreciated the way he handled it, this is what he had to say:

Heath Ledger had a similar level of intensity [as you] didn't he?

"Many times I'll work with actors and I can tell they're thinking, 'What are you doing? Why are you going that far with it?' or 'You're nuts!' With Heath, I could feel him going, 'I love it!' It felt like we were really pushing each other on, to the limits of where you can go with it. He was a good guy. There's not a lot of actors who I stay in touch with. But Heath was one of them."

Some people think he was so affected by playing The Joker that it eventually did for him.

"No. He was having such a great time. We'd go out go-carting and things, and he really was enjoying it. Hey look, when you do something where you're in the public eye, a lot of people love to speculate and they get it wrong most of the time. Things are completely out of context and nobody seems to care.
I paid no attention to it. I knew him, I knew the family and why the hell would I sit there listening to idiots who don't know anything at all? I literally didn't read anything, didn't watch anything (after he died). If I happened to be watching anything that came on, I switched over straight away. It's incredible the way the voyeuristic outlook is accepted as news. I won't talk about any of the other stuff, what may have happened with Heath, out of respect for the family. I have no business in talking and I have no desire to go into details or speculation. It's too tragic for that kind of treatment."

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #1386 on: May 08, 2009, 04:05 PM »
Christian Bale could be a great medorator!  x***x
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

babytammy7

« Reply #1387 on: May 08, 2009, 05:14 PM »
CB and DDL are such gentlemen. They both are mature, polite men who respect and admire our boy. I love them for that.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1388 on: May 08, 2009, 09:06 PM »
The new Esquire issue has a big interview with Christian Bale. There's a small part of it where they asked him about Heath. I really appreciated the way he handled it, this is what he had to say:

Heath Ledger had a similar level of intensity [as you] didn't he?

"Many times I'll work with actors and I can tell they're thinking, 'What are you doing? Why are you going that far with it?' or 'You're nuts!' With Heath, I could feel him going, 'I love it!' It felt like we were really pushing each other on, to the limits of where you can go with it. He was a good guy. There's not a lot of actors who I stay in touch with. But Heath was one of them."

Some people think he was so affected by playing The Joker that it eventually did for him.

"No. He was having such a great time. We'd go out go-carting and things, and he really was enjoying it. Hey look, when you do something where you're in the public eye, a lot of people love to speculate and they get it wrong most of the time. Things are completely out of context and nobody seems to care.
I paid no attention to it. I knew him, I knew the family and why the hell would I sit there listening to idiots who don't know anything at all? I literally didn't read anything, didn't watch anything (after he died). If I happened to be watching anything that came on, I switched over straight away. It's incredible the way the voyeuristic outlook is accepted as news. I won't talk about any of the other stuff, what may have happened with Heath, out of respect for the family. I have no business in talking and I have no desire to go into details or speculation. It's too tragic for that kind of treatment."

Thanks, Keren. I am glad to see Christian Bale doing well. When he talks about the intensity he shared with Heath, I am reminded of the interrogation scene when they were alone together. I think Heath might have been a little surprised at Christian's realism when he got thrown around.

Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1389 on: May 09, 2009, 02:55 AM »
CB and DDL are such gentlemen. They both are mature, polite men who respect and admire our boy. I love them for that.

You're so right Tammy, and I feel the same.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1390 on: May 09, 2009, 03:00 AM »
Thanks, Keren. I am glad to see Christian Bale doing well. When he talks about the intensity he shared with Heath, I am reminded of the interrogation scene when they were alone together. I think Heath might have been a little surprised at Christian's realism when he got thrown around.

I'm sure he loved shooting that scene, and getting thrown around by Christian. it reminds me of what he said once about his favorite scene from Monster's Ball:

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1391 on: May 10, 2009, 05:02 PM »
I'm sure he loved shooting that scene, and getting thrown around by Christian. it reminds me of what he said once about his favorite scene from Monster's Ball:

What a wonderful insight into this man, thanks keren+LC. Couldn't help but think of a couple of other scenes where Heath took his same love of "extreme" or real physicality with other actors to it's limits - the reunion kiss comes to mind first, also the first fight and the last. The forcefulness of his intent is so evident here, just like with Thornton, on either the giving or receiving end. And the way his spirit brought out the same others, the way Jake responded to Heaths lead. Kismet.

we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1392 on: May 14, 2009, 07:00 AM »
Terry Gilliam on Heath Ledger's death and Dr.Parnassus

Here's the full article, it was posted on Theresa's Dr. Parnassus support forum:

http://www.imaginariumofdrparnassus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=522

And here's the relevant part of the interview that concerns Heath:

Amy, the eldest [daughter], produced her father’s most recent picture, and it was she who had to break the news of the death of the film’s star.

“We were devastated,” Gilliam says. “We spent the whole day — Amy, Nicola Pecorini, the director of photography, and myself — lying flat on the floor. He’s dead, and you don’t quite get over that. I suppose I’m in an interesting position because while I’m cutting the film I’m basically working with him every day and he’s fine; he’s in good shape.”

The film is a fantasy about a group of travelling players, led by the immortal Doctor Parnassus (Christopher Plummer), who have to rescue Parnassus’s daughter from a deal he made with the Devil. Ledger’s role, of which a third had been shot when he died, is as a mysterious outsider called Tony who joins the troupe on their quest.

Gilliam’s initial reaction to the news was that he would have to call a permanent halt to the production. “I thought, ‘There’s no way I can make this film without Heath’.” But Amy and other collaborators lobbied hard to keep the film alive to honour the memory of its star.

“Ideas are floating around. Then finally we decided, ‘OK, let’s get three other people to take over the part’. And we were lucky because we have a magic mirror in this movie. Not every movie has a magic mirror. So you can very genuinely say that these other actors are different aspects of the character that Heath plays. And it works. The point was, we’ve got to keep going. It was a bit like half being there, but apparently on autopilot I can still do a few things.”

In casting the actors who would step into the role, Gilliam says that a key considerations was that they had to have been close friends of Ledger. Fortunately, Ledger’s friends included Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law, names that no doubt helped to persuade the film’s financiers that Doctor Parnassus was still viable. “It’s a hard thing to do, walk into a character and take over. But they did it,” Gilliam says.

He has no doubt that Ledger fully deserved the Oscar for his chilling portrayal of the Joker in The Dark Knight. “But wouldn’t it have been nice if they had noticed before? Even before Brokeback Mountain he was doing brilliant work. Everything he has done has been solid, even the earlier silly things. I first saw him in The Four Feathers and he just takes over the screen. He was what, 21 years old?”

The planned release date for Doctor Parnassus is in the autumn. “We want to be in that last third for the Academy Awards! Maybe we’ll get another award for Heath. We’re going to get as many awards as possible for him, long after he’s gone.”

Gilliam, who has a history of taking his audience out of their comfort zone, suggests that the film’s viewers might find some elements of the movie tough going. “I think there are going to be moments in Parnassus; I’m just waiting to hear what the audience does when they see certain shots. There are lines that we refused to change after Heath died. It’s like the script was prescient. It’s really spooky.”

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1393 on: May 14, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Thanks, Keren. I've always loved Heath's performance in Four Feathers.

“But wouldn’t it have been nice if they had noticed before? Even before Brokeback Mountain he was doing brilliant work. Everything he has done has been solid, even the earlier silly things. I first saw him in The Four Feathers and he just takes over the screen. He was what, 21 years old?”

That's always part of everyone's tribute to Heath, that he was mature and beyond his years. His age was just a number. His spirit is not limited to a chronological age, or what people his age was suppose to do. He did what he felt was the best for that moment, which sometimes meant intensity unlike any contemporary actors, or depth of understanding rare in the history of film.  :( ^f^

I can hardly wait to watch Parnassus.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1394 on: May 14, 2009, 11:04 AM »
Thanks, Keren. I've always loved Heath's performance in Four Feathers.

That's always part of everyone's tribute to Heath, that he was mature and beyond his years. His age was just a number. His spirit is not limited to a chronological age, or what people his age was suppose to do. He did what he felt was the best for that moment, which sometimes meant intensity unlike any contemporary actors, or depth of understanding rare in the history of film.  :( ^f^

I can hardly wait to watch Parnassus.

Thank you,Keren and Andrew. :ghug: :ghug: Yes,he was exceptionally mature for what a boy of his age is supposed to be...I can't but thinking about how many hours of pleasure,of intellectual and physical strength,of many other great performances lived with the intensity of an Ennis del Mar role,he had could give to all of us,when maturity had been greater in age...And it kills me to realise that this is something we'll never know... :\'( :\'( :\'(
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1395 on: May 14, 2009, 06:45 PM »
 :ghug: mpj  :ghug:

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1396 on: May 15, 2009, 04:33 AM »
“We were devastated,” Gilliam says. “We spent the whole day — Amy, Nicola Pecorini, the director of photography, and myself — lying flat on the floor. He’s dead, and you don’t quite get over that. I suppose I’m in an interesting position because while I’m cutting the film I’m basically working with him every day and he’s fine; he’s in good shape.”

You can imagine what it must have been like to get that news when you are in the middle of making a film with him - totally unbelievable and devastating..... :\'(

Thanks for posting Keren  ^f^
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1397 on: May 15, 2009, 05:07 AM »
I often think about Terry, and how unbelievably horrible that was for him. Not only was he in the middle of filming a movie with Heath, what those two had was far beyond a director-actor relationship. They were very good friends and they loved and admired each other very much, when you read interviews each one of them refered to the other like he was half-god or something. It was so much more than losing his leading actor for Terry, so much more. I'm in tears every time I read the way he talks about Heath. It was, like he said, as if half the world had collapsed. :\'(

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1398 on: May 15, 2009, 05:19 AM »
Yeah that probably what made it worse, the fact that this just wasnt an actor, this was a good friend... :\'( :\'(
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

vedrana

« Reply #1399 on: May 15, 2009, 06:38 AM »
I often think about Terry, and how unbelievably horrible that was for him. Not only was he in the middle of filming a movie with Heath, what those two had was far beyond a director-actor relationship. They were very good friends and they loved and admired each other very much, when you read interviews each one of them refered to the other like he was half-god or something. It was so much more than losing his leading actor for Terry, so much more. I'm in tears every time I read the way he talks about Heath. It was, like he said, as if half the world had collapsed. :\'(

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1400 on: May 15, 2009, 11:54 AM »
:ghug: mpj  :ghug:

Thank you,Andrew¡  :ghug: :^^) But it's so sad thinking what a great talent is now in Heaven and we have lost here on Earth...

("If I asked")
                         ----------------

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #1401 on: May 18, 2009, 08:54 AM »
Thank you,Andrew¡  :ghug: :^^) But it's so sad thinking what a great talent is now in Heaven and we have lost here on Earth...

((((Alicia))))  :ghug:

I see you've posted a new Gilliam article, Keren hon, but I don't think I can bring myself to read it this particular night...I'm finding that during times of personal distress, I just cannot bear any Heath articles, or even pictures sometimes...

Hopefully I'll feel less fragile when I rise tomorrow and come back and read it, though.  Thanks so much for posting honey.

And I still haven't listened to the Eskimo Joe song properly, despite being a fan.   :\'(

Sigh...oh, Heath...

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1402 on: May 18, 2009, 10:42 AM »

I see you've posted a new Gilliam article, Keren hon, but I don't think I can bring myself to read it this particular night...I'm finding that during times of personal distress, I just cannot bear any Heath articles, or even pictures sometimes...

Hopefully I'll feel less fragile when I rise tomorrow and come back and read it, though.  Thanks so much for posting honey.

And I still haven't listened to the Eskimo Joe song properly, despite being a fan.   :\'(

Sigh...oh, Heath...

Everyone deals with it differently, hon. You don't have to make yourself do something when you don't feel prepared for it. Our love for Heath is not measured by whether we read articles or not, and whether we post pictures or not. Every person has their own way of coping. Take care of you, huh? xxxx

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1403 on: May 18, 2009, 11:39 AM »

Sigh...oh, Heath...

Thank you so much,honey;  :ghug: to you too,be strong...Keren is right; you are not a better Heath fan to "devour" or not all the articles about him.Sometimes your love for him doesn't allow you to read anything,while any others of us need to read,watch and listen to any kind of pics,articles or interviews.But all of them are our private and particular way to make an homage to him,as valid and good as the other ones...
For example,you know I love all your videos very much,but I didn't watch the last one you sent me for Heath's birthday; seeing him with his puppy when he was 18,with all the affection he showed for this little animal,while "Forever young" sounded was too much for me... :\'( I suppose you're not going to think I don't appreciate your work or,even,that I don't want to know anything else about him anymore...It's just that our feelings have these ups and downs about him,and all of us understand them.Understand you. :^^)

("If I asked")
                         ----------------

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1404 on: May 29, 2009, 12:49 AM »
Movie is last evidence of Ledger's powerful screen presence
28th May 2009, 7:30 WST

Heath Ledger's last movie almost ended on the scrap heap. When the actor died last year of an accidental prescription-drug overdose, director Terry Gilliam was prepared to cancel the film.

Instead, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus opened last week at the Cannes Film Festival, with Ledger's performance a highlight -- irrespective of circumstance -- and his part completed by Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell.

While the movie isn't one of Ledger's best, it will entertain younger viewers (and Ledger fans). Much of the plot plays out in a dazzling Alice-in-Wonderland environment.

We first see Ledger hanging from London's Blackfriars Bridge, breathing but covered in blood. His character Tony joins a wobbly wagon of entertainers led by the ageing Dr Parnassus.

Tony -- based on former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair, of whom Gilliam spoke cynically at the film's news conference -- was heading a charity foundation until his near-murder. He seems skilled at coaxing women into giving away money.

Dressed in a white suit and a bird mask with a long beak, he lures women aboard the Imaginarium, where they slip through a magic mirror into a dream world of giant shoes, floating petals, and everlasting youth. They come out in a daze, abandoning checkbooks, jewellery and designer handbags to the beguiling Tony.

Each time Ledger slips through the mirror, he morphs into Depp, Law, or Farrell. Thats how Gilliam makes up for his loss. We are required to suspend disbelief, to see Ledger and the other three as one -- which is something of a stretch.

The core plot pivots around Dr Parnassus (Christopher Plummer), who has become immortal after winning a bet with the devil, Mr Nick (Tom Waits in a bowler hat).

Dr Parnassus has to hand the devil his daughter Valentina when she turns 16, in exchange for the spell of youth that he negotiated to experience love.

The acting in The Imaginarium is solid: Ledger, Plummer and Waits pull their weight and model-actor Lily Cole, with her China-doll looks, is a charismatic Valentina.

Yet the weird dealmaking with the devil and trite dialogue evoke a pre-teen movie in the Harry Potter vein.

Ultimately, what The Imaginarium does best is provide one last piece of evidence of Ledger's powerful screen presence.

CANNES
BLOOMBERG

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=23&ContentID=144421

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1405 on: May 29, 2009, 03:50 AM »
Thank you for posting it Jackster. I'm really anxious to see the movie, I'm looking forward to it and I'm dreading it at the same time.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1406 on: May 29, 2009, 06:20 AM »
Thank you for posting it Jackster. I'm really anxious to see the movie, I'm looking forward to it and I'm dreading it at the same time.

You bet. Same here.
Seeing and reading the word "last" really strikes at the heart.
 :\'(  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1407 on: May 29, 2009, 09:03 AM »
Thanks, Jackster. I haven't been keeping up with the Parnassus movie because I am always on the verge of tears reading about it. The review (and synopsis) is really good for me in a way. Knowing Heath's part in it filled a void somehow.  :(

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1408 on: May 29, 2009, 09:23 AM »
Thanks, Jackster. I haven't been keeping up with the Parnassus movie because I am always on the verge of tears reading about it. The review (and synopsis) is really good for me in a way. Knowing Heath's part in it filled a void somehow.  :(

This movie is a tribute to Heath. If his life had to end so soon, this was the best way for him to end it, doing a movie with Terry Gilliam, his hero. He admired and loved this man so much, and vice versa.

BTW Andrew, Dr. Parnassus still doesn't have a Canadian distributor, among others... If we want to see Heath's last performance on the big screen, we have to do something about it. Have you heard about the Dr. Parnassus Support Forum?

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1409 on: May 29, 2009, 09:52 AM »
This movie is a tribute to Heath. If his life had to end so soon, this was the best way for him to end it, doing a movie with Terry Gilliam, his hero. He admired and loved this man so much, and vice versa.

BTW Andrew, Dr. Parnassus still doesn't have a Canadian distributor, among others... If we want to see Heath's last performance on the big screen, we have to do something about it. Have you heard about the Dr. Parnassus Support Forum?

Yes, I signed up, and logged on for a while. I have admittedly been absent from it for a while. I can't understand the reason for difficulty securing distributors. If tiny independent movies can get distributors, why is it so difficult to secure it for what will likely be a profitable movie?

In any case, I will endeavor to go to the forum more often. It's difficult nonetheless, even watching the happy scenes in 10 Things I Hate About You is difficult. I have no doubt watching the Parnassus movie will bring tears, especially the hanging scenes. I can't imagine watching it without feeling terrible. Even thinking about it, visualizing it, is horrific enough.  :(

I can see the attraction of the role for Heath, the charismatic young man who lure women into a land of feeling good, and taking their money. In some way, there is a parallel with his view of the "matinee idol" the famous sex symbol. There is a ambivalent sense of love/hate in the role, my feeling for the movie. I hate it that it is the last movie...ever. And in a way, it is silly to think that if I never watch it, it is not over.   ^*() *^)

Sigh...