Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 646825 times)

Offline Ranchand1

• Lureen
  • whut
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #1410 on: May 29, 2009, 02:13 PM »
    Not sure this is exactly right place for this but...

I came across this for sale at Amazon.com and I always loved this interview seeing it in parts on youtube. 

So in case anyone didnt know...

Its the Charlie Rose from 05 with Ang Lee and Heath Ledger.  Since the link cant be posted.

On a side note there is also one with Annie Proulx from 1999. 

:f) :c)         Forgive me if its already been posted.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:52 PM by Ranchand1 »
huh..

Offline ynnaf

• Lureen
« Reply #1411 on: Jun 01, 2009, 01:39 PM »
JOHNNY DEPP has paid a personal tribute to the late HEATH LEDGER by naming a section of his private paradise island in the Bahamas after the tragic actor.
The Pirates of the Caribbean star owns Little Hall's Pond Cay in the Caribbean and frequently travels there with his girlfriend Vanessa Paradis and their two children, Lily-Rose, 10, and Jack, seven.
Depp reveals he has renamed a prime snorkelling spot Heath's Place, in memory of his pal, and admits the sunshine getaway provides the perfect place to unwind and escape from the pressures of Hollywood.
He tells Vanity Fair magazine, "I don’t think I'd ever seen any place so pure and beautiful.
"(Pond Cay life) is my decompression. It's my way of trying to return to normalcy. Escapism is survival to me. You can feel your pulse rate drop about 20 beats. It's instant freedom. ...And a little morsel of anonymity.
"Whenever I was getting frustrated about being 'novelty boy' and making movies, I told myself, Calm down. I can come down here and disappear. I spent the Christmas season here with Vanessa and the kids. You can feed hot dogs to the nurse sharks in the Exumas (the outer islands of the Bahamas) - but it's best to not swim when doing it."
Ledger died from an accidental prescription drug overdose in January 2008.
Depp is one of three actors who have stepped in to take over Ledger's role in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, his last unfinished project, alongside Colin Farrell and Jude Law.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/depp-honours-ledger-with-snorkelling-cove_1105133

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1412 on: Jun 01, 2009, 02:14 PM »
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/depp-honours-ledger-with-snorkelling-cove_1105133

I've known Johnny Depp since his early days in 21 Jump Street. My respect for him gets higher with this article.

I wonder why Hollywood has such a bad rap among the stars. Who are these evil people that make life so miserable for the actors and actresses?

Maybe it's time for the stars to take back control of their own lives in Hollywood. Oh, wait, some of them, like Tom Cruise have tried. The studio big wigs always ostracize them in return. Perhaps fans should swing the balance of power in the new age of technology where we can squash the middlemen.

Heath tried to do that with his music label, and other businesses. I am glad he is remembered by his friends. I guess he is kinda hard to forget.  ::)

Thanks for the article, ynnaf.

Here is some more information on Depp's island:

Johnny Depp, former teen idol and Hollywood bad boy, took his role as a pirate in the 2003 film Pirates of the Caribbean to heart--so much so that he apparently bought his own private island in the Bahamas. According to published reports, Depp bought Little Hall's Pond Cay, a 35-acre island in Exuma Land and Sea Park (a protected area with natural coral reefs). The sale price was not disclosed, but the asking price on the island was $3.5 million. The island is one mile long and 1,300 feet wide with six private beaches, a cottage, Tiki hut and standby generators for electricity.

Here is a link with a Google Map mashup to show more detail of the six beaches:

http://www.privateislandsmag.com/2008/10/johnny-depps-private-island-little-halls-pond-cay-bahamas/
After falling in love with the laid-back Bahamas lifestyle while filming “Pirates of the Caribbean”, Johnny Depp began a search for his own tropical island to get stranded on. And in 2004 he found it in the beautiful Exumas, buying Little Hall’s Pond Cay for US $3.6M as a retreat to enjoy with his songbird wife Vanessa Paradise and their two children. The actor recently made news by publicizing that his island will be run exclusively on eco-friendly solar power, as well as for having invited the (formerly) troubled ingenue Lindsay Lohan aboard for some time out of the public eye. There’s little question that escaping from the prying eyes of the paparazzi was also a prime motivator for Depp’s island purchase- he supposedly refers to his little piece of paradise as “F**k Off Island”.
-----

I think Heath (forever evading paparazzi and always concerned for the environment) would be happy there.
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2009, 02:37 PM by lancecowboy »
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #1413 on: Jun 01, 2009, 02:38 PM »
That was a sweet thing of Johnny Depp to do. and it sounds like the kind of place that Heath would've loved.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1414 on: Jun 01, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Here is some more detail about Johnny Depp's article in Vanity Fair. I'd love to find out more, especially since it appears Johnny Depp named the beaches according to the personality of the person, like the beach for Hunter Thompson. I am guessing the patch of water for snorkeling is named after Heath because it is deep and beautiful beneath the surface, filled with life and movement. The issue is available June 3.

Johnny Depp Opens Up Private Bahamian Getaway

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/01/johnny-depp-opens-up-priv_n_209751.html

Johnny Depp took the July issue of Vanity Fair to his private Bahamian island where he reminisced about Marlon Brando, watched 'Tropic Thunder' and talked about his island getaway.

The whole article is NOT online, but highlights from the press release include Depp saying of Tom Cruise in "Thunder": "That's the best I've ever seen Cruise."

When he told Marlon Brando he was buying an island in 1994, the icon got practical, saying "What's the elevation? How protected are you?" Brando, according to Depp, was being sensible, focused, and paternal. "With hurricanes and all, he just didn't want me to make a mistake."

He uses the island as a retreat, "I can come down here and disappear. I spent the Christmas season here with Vanessa and the kids."

The whole interview is available in the hard copy of the magazine, available June 3 in NY and LA.

THE FULL PRESS RELEASE:
NEW YORK, N.Y.--Johnny Depp shows Vanity Fair contributing editor Douglas Brinkley around his 45-acre private Bahamian island, Little Hall's Pond Cay, and tells Brinkley that the island "is my decompression. It's my way of trying to return to normalcy.... Escapism is survival to me."

When Brinkley asks Depp if there is any Hollywood icon he still hopes to spend time with, he says, "I already met her. Elizabeth Taylor." Depp once attended dinner with Taylor and found her to be "the best old-school dame I've ever met. A regular, wonderful person. Billy Bob Thornton and Steve Martin were also there. Boy, did I take to her. For dinner she ordered liver and onions and just smothered them with salt. I admired that. She's an astonishingly great broad."

Little Hall's Pond has six different beaches--named after Depp's partner, Vanessa Paradis, and their children, Lily Rose and Jack, as well as his mentors Hunter S. Thompson and Marlon Brando--each with a personality and cove of its own, and one patch of water deemed "Heath's Place" after the late actor Heath Ledger. There are several small residences, all solar-powered, and transportation consists of a fleet of green golf carts.

"I don't think I'd ever seen any place so pure and beautiful," Depp tells Brinkley of the island. "You can feel your pulse rate drop about 20 beats. It's instant freedom. And that rare beast--simplicity--can be had. And a little morsel of anonymity.... Whenever I was getting frustrated about being 'novelty boy' and making movies, I told myself, Calm down. I can come down here and disappear. I spent the Christmas season here with Vanessa and the kids. You can feed hot dogs to the nurse sharks in the Exumas--but it's best to not swim when doing it."

Depp spent much of the last year in Chicago filming Public Enemies, and tells Brinkley that it has become his favorite American city. "Everybody [in Chicago] treated me normal. They'd say, 'Hey, Johnny,' then left me alone.... I visited the Art Institute and the Chicago Music Exchange. I loved looking out the car window at all those incredible neighborhoods and architecture."

Depp laments the political correctness of modern Hollywood, telling Brinkley he pines for the old iconoclasts: "Where is our generation of Dean Martins and Frank Sinatras? And the Georgie Jessels and Walter Brennans? I want Tiny Tim and Bix Beiderbecke back."

Of Tom Cruise's performance as studio head Les Grossman in last summer's Tropic Thunder, Depp says, "That's the best I've ever seen Cruise." When asked if Cruise's portrayal reminds Depp of any Hollywood executives, he says, "All of them."

Whenever Depp gets bored or can't sleep, he paints. "When I can focus on something like guitar or painting, I do," he says. "I started painting people I admire, like Kerouac, Bob Dylan, Nelson Algren, Marlon Brando, Patti Smith, my girl, my kids. I painted Hunter a couple of times. Keith Richards. What I love to do is paint people's faces, y'know, their eyes. Because you want to find that emotion, see what's going on behind their eyes."

Depp talks about his two late mentors, Marlon Brando and Hunter S. Thompson, each of whom imparted his share of wisdom. He recalls a conversation he had with Brando in 1994, when he was poised to purchase Little Hall's Pond, but instead of expressing outright enthusiasm, Brando--who once lived on the French Polynesian atoll of Tetiaroa--asked a series of pragmatic questions: "What's the elevation? How protected are you?" Brando, according to Depp, was being sensible, focused, and paternal. "With hurricanes and all, he just didn't want me to make a mistake."

Depp says what he misses about Thompson "isn't the Too Much Fun Club stuff. It was his steady advice. His radar detector was spot-on. He knew instantly if he didn't like somebody." Depp says the beach he named after Hunter on his island is "the most savage and exposed of all the beaches. Gonzo Beach is pure Hunter."

Talking to Brinkley about his future on the island, Depp says: "Nobody is going to ever ruin the Land and Sea Park. It's like a rare gem, a diamond. I look forward to my kids growing up on the island, spending months out of the year here ... learning about sea life and how to protect sea life ... and their kids growing up here, and so on.... Theoretically, this place can add years to your life." Then he quotes the old adage: "Money doesn't buy you happiness. But it buys you a big enough yacht to sail right up to it."

The July issue of Vanity Fair hits newsstands in New York and Los Angeles on June 3 and nationally on June 9.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1415 on: Jun 05, 2009, 08:46 AM »
Heath Ledger documentary to air on Ovation TV

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE5540XV20090605

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Heath Ledger: A Tribute," an hourlong documentary special on the life of the late Oscar-winning actor, will have its U.S. premiere on Ovation TV this summer.

The cable channel has acquired the film from Australian production company World Wide Entertainment and plans to air it in August as part of a weeklong programing event, "Live Fast, Die Young," which focuses on stars whose lives ended prematurely. Subjects include Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean and John Belushi.

"Throughout his short career, Heath Ledger seemed a star destined to burn brightly and leave a lasting mark," said Kris Slava, senior vice president of programing for Ovation TV. "This documentary is a warm, honest portrayal of the actor and the man, and features footage that has never been seen in America."

(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1416 on: Jun 05, 2009, 10:00 AM »
Heath Ledger documentary to air on Ovation TV

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE5540XV20090605

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Heath Ledger: A Tribute," an hourlong documentary special on the life of the late Oscar-winning actor, will have its U.S. premiere on Ovation TV this summer.

The cable channel has acquired the film from Australian production company World Wide Entertainment and plans to air it in August as part of a weeklong programing event, "Live Fast, Die Young," which focuses on stars whose lives ended prematurely. Subjects include Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean and John Belushi.

"Throughout his short career, Heath Ledger seemed a star destined to burn brightly and leave a lasting mark," said Kris Slava, senior vice president of programing for Ovation TV. "This documentary is a warm, honest portrayal of the actor and the man, and features footage that has never been seen in America."

(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)

I wonder if it's the same tribute movie that I bought from Amazon, that one was an hour long too and has the same title... :s)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1417 on: Jun 05, 2009, 10:55 AM »
MacLeans.ca Discusses The Macabre Premonitions Of Heath Ledger

It’s shocking how eerily Heath Ledger’s last screen role foreshadowed his tragic death.

Sixteen months have passed since Heath Ledger died of an accidental drug overdose. But seeing his final screen role unveiled at the Cannes Film Festival last week still came as a brutal shock. In The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Terry Gilliam’s surreal tale of a traveling theatre company, Ledger is cast as Tony, a slick hustler who joins the ragtag troupe after making a dramatic entrance. Our first glimpse of the actor, foreshadowed by a tarot card of the Hanged Man, shows him dangling off a bridge in London with a noose around his neck, presumed dead. And that’s just the first of several scenes in Gilliam’s film that, in hindsight, serve as macabre premonitions of the actor’s fate. “Could we get any darker?” asks Gilliam, during an interview with Maclean’s in Cannes. “I’ve become fatalistic about everything. It’s very weird about this movie. The ideas, the dialogue were very prescient.”

Gilliam was midway through shooting Parnassus when Ledger died. He had just completed the London portion of the Canada-U.K. co-production, and was preparing to film the remaining scenes in a Vancouver studio. After the news hit, he was ready to abandon the movie. “But so many people around me said, ‘You can’t do that.’ They just kept hammering me.” And within five weeks, Gilliam had recruited a tag team of loyal friends—Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell—to complete Ledger’s role. The sleight of hand made surreal sense: conveniently, most of Ledger’s unfinished scenes take place behind a magic mirror, in a fantasy world conjured by Dr. Parnassus (Christopher Plummer).

“The convenience of Heath’s death is the most shocking, frightening thing,” says Gilliam, only half-joking. “Almost all the choices that were forced upon us improved the film. It’s as if Heath was still working on the film. We all felt his presence constantly.” But then he adds, “The thing that bothers me is I wanted to know what Heath was going to do with those parts that Johnny, Colin and Jude did. He had so much stuff under his sleeves. I like to say he didn’t die young. He was a very old soul. Ancient and wise.”

The director recalls an exchange with Ledger on the set. “I said, ‘I know what you’re doing.’ He said, ‘What are you talking about?’ I said, ‘You’re doing Johnny Depp, aren’t you?’ He copped to it totally. And there’s Johnny taking it over. It’s spooky.” Even spookier, in a scene scripted for Ledger but played by Depp, Tony invites a woman to join James Dean, Rudolph Valentino and Princess Di in a river of immortality. “They’re all dead,” he says, as their images float by on little boats. “They won’t get sick. They are forever young.”

Although Gilliam considers this “terrifying stuff,” he says he insisted on keeping it in the movie. “That’s where it’s interesting not having studio executives fluttering around you. They would have all been going crazy—‘You can’t do that! It’s in bad taste!’ It’s not in bad taste. It’s respectful to what we set out to do and what Heath wanted to do.”

In discussing Ledger and all the strange coincidences, Gilliam often breaks into giddy laughter, which might seem inappropriate, but he’s been living with Ledger’s death for a while. “The whole process has been so long and emotionally draining,” he says. “We all cared so much about him. And you learn to deal with it through black humor. We were making jokes all the time. Mine was—‘It’s a warning to actors. You don’t turn up for work and there are three stars waiting to take over your part.’ ”

Gilliam has quite a record of calamitous productions. He battled studio executives over The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, which was buried, and Brazil, which was butchered. (Brazil was the favorite film of River Phoenix, who died of a drug overdose the day he was due to finally meet Gilliam, his hero.) Later, an entire documentary, Lost in La Mancha, was made about the havoc that scuttled a Gilliam movie starring Depp as Don Quixote. But when asked if his films are cursed, Gilliam replies, “Not in that sense. There are forces at work I can’t explain.”

Gilliam is resigned to the fact that Ledger’s death has upstaged his film—and Plummer’s performance in the title role. “It’s actually not Heath’s movie,” he says. “But people come out of it, and they’re just wrapped up in the whole business of Heath dying.” But then it is a movie about death. “I’ve always been obsessed with mortality,” says Gilliam. “That’s one of the things that Heath and I shared in common. Neither of us had any fear of death. We’d just laugh at it.”

http://imaginariumofdrparnassus.com/blog/?p=548

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1418 on: Jun 13, 2009, 11:48 AM »
Goodbye, Heath

No one imagined that the sudden death of an Oscar-nominated actor would overshadow the announcement of the Academy Award nominations. In a tough town where a lot of entertainment journalists wear their cynicism on their sleeves, the passing of 28-year-old Aussie Heath Ledger packed an emotional wallop that left seasoned reporters stunned.

Why did Heath grab our hearts after managing to remain a relatively mysterious famous face renowned for fiercely protecting his privacy? Perhaps, it was his youth and his promise, only partially fulfilled by his acclaimed performance in Brokeback Mountain. Maybe it was the anticipation of intense roles to come, like his reinvention of the Joker in The Dark Knight, which will remain as a big screen memorial to his talent.

While the media swarm to unravel the details surrounding Ledger’s death, I’d like to remember the man whose life ended so unexpectedly. I met Heath when he was a budding golden boy, a hottie from Down Under who first got noticed as Mel Gibson’s son in The Patriot and went on to box office success in his first leading role in A Knight’s Tale. He could have had a comfortable if unremarkable career as a teenage hunk, but he wasn’t satisfied, and he chafed at the media scrutiny that came with his sudden fame.

I remember well the day Heath told me why he made a decision that eventually got him that shot at Oscar.

“I was getting pigeonholed,” he said, fidgeting as he always did when giving an interview. “People weren’t giving me a chance to do anything other than be the blond-haired bimbo, and it was starting to bore me. I guess my attitude was ‘f *** it.’ I had to destroy one career in order to rebuild another.”

That resolve put Heath on the road to Brokeback Mountain, and it would forever change him. “The one thing I got out of it was just a level of fearlessness,” he told me. “I feel like I can tackle anything now. There is nothing you can put in front of me that I can’t attempt to do. I’m not saying I can do it well, but I’m definitely a braver person and a braver actor because of it.”

The one thing that Ledger never came to terms with was the price of fame, especially after having a daughter with actress Michelle Williams.

“When someone takes a photo of you and your family outside your house, it makes us feel like we’re being assaulted,” he said to me. “If anyone does that to me, I see red. My family in Australia will ring me up and say, ‘Why don’t you just smile and give them their shots and walk away? Why do you have to retaliate?’ I’m like, ‘Because I don’t want to play their game. I want them to know that they can’t just sit outside my house. It’s my space.’”

“But I’m definitely a peaceful warrior,” he added. “I’ve never started a fight in my life, but I’m willing to fight for my privacy. I don’t think I’ll ever deviate from that. It’s too valuable to me.”

Speculation about Heath will persist, but there’s no doubt about his extraordinary talent.

http://www.pbpulse.com/celeb/2009/06/11/goodbye-heath/

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #1419 on: Jun 14, 2009, 01:00 PM »
Thank you, Keren.  This is very beautiful.  I love reading/hearing words of Heath's I hadn't heard before.  I love what he said about playing Ennis especially.  What a beautiful and fascinating man...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #1420 on: Jun 15, 2009, 12:16 PM »
Thank you, Keren.  This is very beautiful.  I love reading/hearing words of Heath's I hadn't heard before.  I love what he said about playing Ennis especially.  What a beautiful and fascinating man...

kathy

I quote this word by word,specially these ones:What a beautiful and fascinating man...
   :\'( :\'( :\'(
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline ynnaf

• Lureen
« Reply #1421 on: Jun 18, 2009, 03:47 PM »
Not sure if that's the right place to post this, but i think it's touching:

All of the honorees from film and television were present, with actors from their projects presenting them. Ang Lee ("Brokeback Mountain") was introduced by the quiet, softspoken Heath Ledger and the charming and gregarious Jake Gyllenhaal. They talked about what an honor and a privilege working on the film had been and how Ang's direction helped them grow as actors. When Heath and Jake introduced him, they both started to tear up and gave the director hugs when he reached the stage. The soft-spoken director took a moment, looked back at them with a smile, turned to the audience and said, "I don't know, guys. That felt kind of gay to me."

Talk about exploding a stereotype! We must have laughed for five solid minutes!

There was joke after joke about "Brokeback" all evening, and not a single one was derogatory or mean-spirited. That's entertainment.

http://livinginturnaround.blogspot.com/2009/06/horray-for-hollywood-memories-of.html

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1422 on: Jun 26, 2009, 10:08 PM »
Ledger wins another Hollywood award
25th June 2009, 14:00 WST

Heath Ledger has taken another posthumous bow.

The late Australian actor was named best supporting actor at the 35th Annual Saturn Awards in Los Angeles on Wednesday for his role as the villainous Joker in last year's blockbuster, The Dark Knight.

It is the latest honour for Ledger, who died of an accidental prescription drug overdose in January 2008 but swept through the Hollywood award season earlier this year with wins at the Academy Awards, Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild Awards and internationally at the BAFTAs in London and the Australian Film Institute ceremony.

The Dark Knight, the highest-earning film of 2008 with just over $US1 billion in worldwide ticket sales, dominated the Saturn Awards with four other wins.

The Batman film was named best action/adventure/thriller film, while brothers Christopher and Jonathan Nolan won for best screenwriting, composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard took the music category, and the special effects team of Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Tim Webber and Paul Franklin were victorious.

The Saturn Awards are organised by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films.
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1423 on: Jun 27, 2009, 03:58 AM »
Thanks for posting Jackster. another obvious and well deserved win... Heath's Joker will be remembered forever.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1424 on: Jun 30, 2009, 06:11 AM »
From an upcoming Vanity Fair article featured in the West Australia news
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=22&ContentID=151753

Ledger confidant reveals actor’s last days
30th June 2009, 6:30 WST

The professionals closest to Heath Ledger have revealed how the Hollywood star battled with fame, a failed relationship and incurable insomnia in the lead-up to his untimely death.

Vocals coach Gerry Grennell worked and lived with the actor during the filming of the most recent Batman movie, The Dark Knight.

Ledger won a posthumous Oscar for his supporting role as The Joker in the movie.

Grennell says Ledger never once drank alcohol during that period but his use of sleeping medication to combat chronic insomnia was a concern.

“I’d say: ‘If you can possibly bear it to stop taking the medications, do, because they don’t seem to be doing you any good’ - he agreed,” Grennell told Vanity Fair magazine.

“It is very difficult for me to imagine how close he came to not taking them.”

Vanity Fair spoke to the crew from Ledger’s last film, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and others for its August issue.

The Perth-born actor died in his New York apartment in January 2008 from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs. He was 28.

Grennell is convinced Ledger’s death, “was a combination of exhaustion, sleeping medication ... and perhaps the after-effects of the flu”.

Cinematographer Nicola Pecorini worked with Ledger on Parnassus and said he dabbled in minor narcotics but dropped the habit.

“He used to smoke marijuana on a regular basis, like probably 50 per cent of Americans (but Ledger) went clean as a whistle,“ Pecorini said.

The actor’s mentor and Parnassus director Terry Gilliam said Ledger’s romance with Michelle Williams began to unravel during the Oscar campaign for his acclaimed performance in Brokeback Mountain.

Williams is the mother of their three-year-old daughter Mathilda.

Legal wrangling over custody of their daughter “made Heath snap“, Gilliam said.

The strife coincided with the Parnassus shoot and brought on the beginning of pneumonia, Gilliam said, but Ledger would not heed doctor’s advice to take antibiotics and rest.

Gilliam said Ledger responded: “’No way - I’m not going to go home because I can’t sleep and I’ll be just thinking about the situation. I’d rather stay here and work’.

“He would arrive (to the set) in the morning completely knackered,” Gilliam said.

“By the end of the day he was beaming - glowing with energy.

“It was like everything was put into the work because that was the joy - that’s what he loved to do.”

The actor’s friend and agent Steven Alexander said Ledger was never motivated by money or stardom and was worried that his role in a “summer blockbuster” such as The Dark Knight would typecast him.

“He was ready to bust out of the gate but he didn’t want to step on the gas and become something that he didn’t want to become - a matinee idol,” Alexander said.

“He wasn’t motivated by money or stardom but by the respect of his peers (and moviegoers).

“He was striving to become an ‘illusionist’ as he called it - able to create characters that weren’t there.”

The August issue of Vanity Fair is due to hit news stands in early July.

LOS ANGELES
AAP

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1425 on: Jul 01, 2009, 10:46 AM »
I want to get this magazine through someone, mainly for the pics (the one on the cover is a new one to me!) but I have to admit that some of this stuff is hard to read, especially concerning the breakup with Michelle and everything it involved. I don't think that people who were close to him should talk to the media about his private life... I suppose they want to show his side, show everybody that he was a good person, but I don't think he would've wanted to talk about it himself if he was here.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1426 on: Jul 01, 2009, 12:50 PM »
This may have been posted already, but I came across this article while reading about Sarah Palin  ::)

Heath Remembered

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2009/08/heath-ledger-portfolio200908

In August 2000, Vanity Fair featured a rising young star on its cover: Heath Ledger. Bruce Weber’s photographs captured the looks, character, and promise that the actor’s co-workers and friends described in the accompanying cover story. Ledger fulfilled that promise before his untimely death, in January 2008. Here, a selection of images from Weber’s shoot, both published and unpublished. [Fifteen images are available.]

Heath Ledger, then 21, in an outtake from the cover-story shoot for the August 2000 issue.

Related: “We’re Havin’ a Heath Wave,” by Kevin Sessums.
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2000/08/heath200008

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1427 on: Jul 01, 2009, 04:02 PM »
I want to get this magazine through someone, mainly for the pics (the one on the cover is a new one to me!) but I have to admit that some of this stuff is hard to read, especially concerning the breakup with Michelle and everything it involved. I don't think that people who were close to him should talk to the media about his private life... I suppose they want to show his side, show everybody that he was a good person, but I don't think he would've wanted to talk about it himself if he was here.

I agree with you Keren, I found it hard to read too - way too personal in parts and that can be really upsetting.   :(
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1428 on: Jul 01, 2009, 06:45 PM »
I agree with you Keren, I found it hard to read too - way too personal in parts and that can be really upsetting.   :(

I have to say I agree with you both to some degree. Wasn’t really sure that I wanted to post this story even though it was in his hometown newspaper. But I decided it was truthful and heartfelt, and seemed to utilize quotes from people who were his real friends, people who knew him closely (and loved him), and where there was mutual respect. If they felt comfortable at this distance in time reflecting back on these difficult and painful days then maybe there was legitimate value here. Not sensationalism, but possibly some value to people who make similar (possibly tragic) decisions in their own lives. Yes, maybe (certainly) Heath himself would not want all this attention or focus on himself, but he also understood the nature of celebrity and the advantages and disadvantages that entailed. This is not to justify the story, it either stands on its own or it does not, it’s just a reflection of my, hopefully reasoned, thought process here.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1429 on: Jul 02, 2009, 06:58 AM »
I understand what you're saying jackster, and it's okay that you posted it here, really. The people who were quoted there were people who trully cared about him, friends of his, and I'm sure they meant no harm. It's just that for me personally it's unsettling to read these things, knowing what a private person Heath was.

Offline jessicat80

• For every Jack, there's an
  • Ennis
  • until we meet again
« Reply #1430 on: Jul 02, 2009, 08:47 AM »

I hadn't read the Vanity Fair article yet. What Terry Gilliam said and shared was wrong. These people have no right to reveal what was going on, or more importantly, what they thought was going on, in Heath's personal life. I can't believe he would talk so openly....a true friend would know and respect how much Heath hated his personal life to be on display. I have offficially lost what little repect I had left for Terry Gilliam...and it was already very little. I can't believe in order to support Heath's last piece of work, I have to support Gilliam. I feel sick.
"I’d rather live in his world…..than live without him….in mine."                                       (Midnight Train to Georgia)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1431 on: Jul 02, 2009, 10:41 AM »
I'm trying to hold my judgement because I haven't read the whole article yet. I assumed that they highlighted the more "sensational" parts of the interview in this preview, and I told myself I need to read the rest to get the full picture. I've heard from someone who did read the whole article, she said it's 8+ pages long and that indeed, the internet summary of the article is nothing more than written “sound bites” to entice readers. By and large, she said, this article is about Parnassus, Gilliam and his deep friendship with Heath. That is the focus of the article. She also said that the TDK "paid vacation" remark for example was a joke taken out of context. That made me wonder how many other things were taken out of context. I know that Terry Gilliam is a cynical person, it's hard for me to determine sometimes when he is serious and when he's joking.

Like I said, I think what was said about the breakup with Michelle and the "custody fight" should'nt have been said. I can't imagine Heath would ever have talked about it with a reporter, and it's out of line for his friends to do that. That was his private life. But considering the fact that I haven't read the whole thing yet, there are also other things that I take into consideration. I don't know in what context those things were said. I do know, from reading many articles, that Terry Gilliam loved Heath like a son and cared about him deeply, and seeing someone you love go through such a difficult personal crisis probably makes you bitter. And sometimes when you're bitter you blurt out things you shouldn't say. I just can't believe that anyone who cared about Heath so much would try to be sensational on purpose, knowing what a private person he was. And there is another thing that this girl (who read the article) said to me, and I try to keep that in mind: we will never get the full intent of the spirit in which something is *said* by reading a transcript of it … which is basically what an article is, a transcript. And I don’t think any editor ever leaves things as they are said in the context they are said. In short, there is a long way between what was actually said and *how* it was said, and what you eventually get to read and the impression that you get from that.

I still don't like the snippets I've read, but I'll hold my judgement until I read the whole thing.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1432 on: Jul 02, 2009, 11:49 AM »
I don't have problem with people posting news articles here, since that is the intent of this thread.

I don't even have a problem with Gilliam's comments since he is under the gun to promote his film and get every bit of publicity he can. I don't know the man very well, but I know the type of British Monty Python style humor so I take whatever he says with a grain of salt, i.e. I don't take him seriously.

Every legend has its derivative stories. No legendary figure is exempt. Heath, whatever his feelings and thoughts about privacy, would simply shrug and smile and move on. Nothing can touch him now, in any case. The only caveat I would have, is the comments regarding Heath and Michelle, especially their breakup, which will eventually reach Matilda, especially when she gets older. It would be unconscionable for anyone to tar their image in her mind. They should respect them as her parents, and leave their private anguish private. It's nobody's business but theirs.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1433 on: Jul 02, 2009, 04:07 PM »
I am tending to agree with Keren on this one.I havent read the full article, not because I dont want to but rather from lack of time.  I'd like to see how the snippets shown here place themselves in amongst the full article and if it changes the context of what was said and what was meant by it.  I don't necessarily have a problem with close friends and colleagues talking about Heath if it's done in a respectful manner and they are careful of what they say should it get back to his family, which it inevitably will.  I think sometimes it can be a cathartic experience to talk about someone you cared about and admired and loved so much - but I do think there are some things that you just do not share with anyone, let alone a world wide publication such as Vanity Fair, no matter how good a reputation it has.

I obviously don't know why Terry Gilliam would talk about something that was clearly a very personal issue for Heath, and one that was causing him distress, but it disappoints me that he did... :-\\
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1434 on: Jul 02, 2009, 06:23 PM »
I'm trying to hold my judgement because I haven't read the whole article yet. . . . .  I know that Terry Gilliam is a cynical person, it's hard for me to determine sometimes when he is serious and when he's joking.

. . . . . And I don’t think any editor ever leaves things as they are said in the context they are said. In short, there is a long way between what was actually said and *how* it was said, and what you eventually get to read and the impression that you get from that.

I still don't like the snippets I've read, but I'll hold my judgement until I read the whole thing.

Much agreed keren. After reading the upset this has created I went back and reread the newspaper article taken from the magazine story more closely. I noticed that Mr. Gilliam is not actually "quoted" in his remarks regarding Heaths family, he only is said to have said. Well, we all know how that works. Editors can stretch things a lot, and when the quotes are left off then actual statements can be twisted quite a lot.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1435 on: Jul 03, 2009, 12:15 AM »
Much agreed keren. After reading the upset this has created I went back and reread the newspaper article taken from the magazine story more closely. I noticed that Mr. Gilliam is not actually "quoted" in his remarks regarding Heaths family, he only is said to have said. Well, we all know how that works. Editors can stretch things a lot, and when the quotes are left off then actual statements can be twisted quite a lot.

Yup. I think, it was why Heath always fidgeted during interviews, and his interpretation of that famous portrait...the two voices whispering in his ear. It made sense of his strained relationship with the press. Being a consummate Chess master, he would be clever enough to know ahead of time how his words may be twisted, and was always careful.

It is why I really value the article Perth Child, We are having a Heath Wave...

In it, the reporter seemed to have build a trusting rapport with Heath, and he was comfortable talking about a lot of aspects of himself that he would normally be more guarded. It is also why I love that last paragraph...Heath popping in Doors' Riders in the Storm as he strode off in the gathering thunder storm. I recall the director of A Knight's Tale recalled Heath recommending a song for the dance sequence...can't remember the name exactly but it was something Golden Hours...that was perfect for the scene. Heath's love for music was constantly his companion, including having thousands of iTunes dollars, and sharing them with his friends.

Thanks for both articles, Keren, Jackster.

Offline ynnaf

• Lureen
« Reply #1436 on: Jul 03, 2009, 03:39 PM »
I personally think there were things Heath confided in his friend Terry, but i think Heath expected him not to share it with the world. I don't think Heath would have wanted all this since we all know that he was a very private guy.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2009, 12:38 PM by ynnaf »

Offline ynnaf

• Lureen
« Reply #1437 on: Jul 05, 2009, 07:55 AM »
The Vanity Fair article (everthing scanned):

http://www.imaginariumofdrparnassus.com/vanityfair

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1438 on: Jul 05, 2009, 09:52 AM »
Thanks, ynnaf. The few tidbits of insight into Heath's relationship with other actors are great.

Mostly, however, I find the reporter's style too fanciful, trying to impress. The content was also more about Terry Gilliam than about Heath. I read up to Jan.22 and scanned the rest. Christopher Plummer's quotes for Heath are among the best. He really understood Heath. His words reminded me of Michael Caine's.

Heath wasn't just an actor, he also directed himself, and others if the director indulged him. The Gambit would have been a great movie.  :\'(

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1439 on: Jul 05, 2009, 11:14 AM »
The Vanity Fair article (everthing scanned):

http://www.imaginariumofdrparnassus.com/vanityfair

I started reading the article but had to stop halfway through, when they described Heath's death and the way Terry found out about it. I just started crying and had to stop, I can't deal with it now. It's like going through it all over again and I can't, sorry.