Author Topic: Heath Ledger - In Loving Memory  (Read 1732785 times)

Offline samwise_fan1965

• Alma Jr.
Heath Ledger - In Loving Memory
« on: Jan 22, 2008, 04:55 PM »
Not sure where to put this so feel free to move it. I just heard Heath Ledger died! Is this true?

---------------------------------------------------------------

The actor Heath Ledger was found dead in a Manhattan apartment on Tuesday afternoon, the New York City police said.

The police said Mr. Ledger, 28, was discovered facedown in bed in an apartment at 421 Broome Street in SoHo. Police officials said that a bottle of prescription sleeping pills were found on a nearby night table, but that they did not know whether they played a role in Mr. Ledger’s death.

Mr. Ledger, the star of “Brokeback Mountain” and other films, was discovered by a housekeeper and a masseuse, the police said. The housekeeper had been in the apartment for some time before Mr. Ledger’s body was discovered, and she let the masseuse in when she at the apartment for a 3:31 p.m. appointment with Mr. Ledger, the police said. They said they did not know when Mr. Ledger scheduled the appointment.

When Mr. Ledger did not respond to a knock on the bedroom door, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened the bedroom and found Mr. Ledger unconscious. They shook him, but he did not respond. They immediately called the authorities and moved Mr. Ledger to the floor, the police said.

“There was no indication of a disturbance,” Deputy Police Commissioner Paul J. Browne said. He said officers who checked the apartment found other prescription medications it in the bathroom. He said that there was no sign that Mr. Ledger had been drinking and that no illegal drugs were found in the apartment.

Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the city’s chief medical examiner, said that investigators were on the scene on Tuesday afternoon and that an autopsy would be performed on Wednesday to determine the cause of death. His body was removed from the apartment at 6:30 p.m.
--------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2008, 08:30 PM by ethan »

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
Re: Heath Ledger - In Loving Memory
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2008, 04:59 PM »
I just saw this on the NYTimes webpage. At 3:31PM this afternoon .
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:03 PM »

:\'(

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/actor-heath-ledger-is-found-dead/

---------------------------------------------
Actor Heath Ledger Is Found Dead
By Sewell Chan

The actor Heath Ledger was found dead this afternoon in an apartment building at 421 Broome Street in SoHo, according to the New York City police. Mr. Ledger was 28.
At 3:31 p.m., a masseuse arrived at Apartment 5A in the building for an appointment with Mr. Ledger, the police said. The masseuse was let in to the home by a housekeeper, who then knocked on the door of Mr. Ledger’s bedroom. When no one answered, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened the bedroom and found Mr. Ledger unconscious. They shook him, but he did not respond. They immediately called the authorities. The police said they did not suspect foul play and said they found pills near body.
Mr. Ledger, a native of Perth, Australia, won acclaim for his role as a co-star in “Brokeback Mountain”, a 2005 film. The film, based on a short story by Annie Proulx about two cowboys who fall in love, won critical acclaim. Reviewing the film in The New York Times, the critic Stephen Holden wrote, “Mr. Ledger magically and mysteriously disappears beneath the skin of his lean, sinewy character. It is a great screen performance, as good as the best of Marlon Brando and Sean Penn.”
Mr. Ledger met the actress Michelle Williams while filming ‘’Brokeback Mountain.” The two actors fell into a very public romance. They had a daughter, Matilda Rose, who was born on Oct. 28, 2005. They moved to Brooklyn, but then separated last year.
Calls by The New York Times to Mara Buxbaum, a publicist for Mr. Ledger, and Steve Alexander, the actor’s agent, were not immediately returned this afternoon.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:04 PM »
He is now one for the ages.

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:05 PM »
Five minutes ago, we learned that Heath has died. I do not know what to say. But let us just gather here.
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:07 PM »
I am still in shocked, I don't know what to say as well... :\'(
"The day I stop having fun, I'll just walk away." -- Heath Ledger

"For a moment in our lives, forever in our hearts." -- Heath Ledger, 1/22/08

"In the dark, I really felt like I could escape to anywhere.
To a place where anything could happen at any time.
Where chaos could reign but the world would never end."
-- Noah Mayer

As the World Turns -- April 2, 1956 - September 17, 2010

Offline JonathanIT

• Cassie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:10 PM »
I just can't freakin' believe it.  I am numb.  This is devastating.

:(

--J.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2008, 05:33 PM by JonathanIT »

Offline AnitaSmith

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:13 PM »
Heath Ledger has been found dead in a SoHo apartment in New York City.  Details are still coming in.  I came here thinking that someone would have further insight as to what happened.  I am in tears.  Extremely upset.  I can't believe it!!  Someone please tell me this is a nightmare. 

Offline trekfan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:14 PM »
I am still trying to wrap my mind around this horrible tragedy.   I can't believe he's gone.
Aren't we at the stage these days when it just doesn't ... matter? It's a story of love and it's a story between two people. If people can't get over that and just accept it as a story, then that's their problem. I'm big enough and brave enough to do it. - Heath Ledger on doing BBM

Offline mandalyn74

• Cassie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:14 PM »
I just heard that they found him dead in his NYC apartment.  They still don't know what happened.  All I read so far is that they don't suspect foul play and there were pills near his body.  He's not even 30 years old and his baby is not even 3.  His career was on the rise and he just finished filming the new batman movie.  Surely he didn't kill himself!  Accidental overdose maybe?

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:19 PM »
I can tell you that I was watching BBM on TV here when I heard those shocking news,
he is now in the alley, after departing from Jack.... at least here he is still alive...OMG!!!!!!!!!!

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:20 PM »
What can we do for the memory of this great artist, aside from prayers and condolences?

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:21 PM »
What can we do for the memory of this great artist, aside from prayers and condolences?

I have no idea Thomas. I'm too numb to think right now :-\\
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:22 PM »
I am in tears.

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:23 PM »
It was said that it's drug related...WTF!! :(
It's a nightmare..so young and talented ,all his life ahead of him!
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

Offline CrimsonSky

• Jack
  • just like this always...
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:24 PM »
Stunned, shocked and devatated. Such a tragic loss and waste of life and talent. My heart goes out to his family and friends, especially little Matilda :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:24 PM »
I feel like I lost a family member.  I am not up for watching the movie for a bit. 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:26 PM »
Reports say sleeping pills were found near his body. Surely it has to have been a tragic accident - he had so much to live for, not least little Tildy.

:\'( :\'(
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:27 PM »
I feel like I lost a family member.  I am not up for watching the movie for a bit. 
It was on TV 15 minutes before I heard the news, and now I'm here reading ,crying, and still the movie is on... :\'(

Offline jodie

• Lureen
  • formerly "jodie447"
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:27 PM »
I'm stunned. This is not possible.  :\'(

Offline jacks_key

• Jack + Ennis
  • We'll always have Brokeback...
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:27 PM »
I heard this on the radio on my way home from work; I almost crashed the car.  I can't believe it, I just can't believe it...I'm hysterical right now, my husband is trying to comfort me...
Heath Ledger: 1979-2008
Never enough time, never enough.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:28 PM »

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jpzdve6RF9k9My1ItZGj3eRprEEwD8UB6JT81

-------------------------------------------------

Heath Ledger Found Dead in NYC at Age 28
By TOM HAYS – 18 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday at a downtown Manhattan residence, and police said drugs may have been a factor. He was 28. NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said Ledger had an appointment for a massage at the Manhattan apartment believed to be his home. The housekeeper who went to let him know the masseuse had arrived found him dead at 3:26 p.m.

The Australian-born actor was nominated for an Oscar for "Brokeback Mountain," where he met his wife, actress Michelle Williams, in 2005. Ledger and Williams had lived in Brooklyn and had a daughter, Matilda, until they split up last year.

Ledger was to appear as the Joker this year in "The Dark Night," a sequel to 2005's "Batman Begins." He's had starring roles in "A Knight's Tale" and "The Patriot," and played the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in "Monster's Ball."

Ledger grew up in Perth, and began doing amateur theater at age 10. At 16, he moved to Sydney to pursue an acting career, quickly landing TV movie roles and guest spots on Australian television.

After several independent films and a starring role in the short-lived Fox TV series "Roar," Ledger moved to Los Angeles and costarred in "10 Things I Hate About You," a teen comedy reworking of "The Taming of the Shrew."

Offers for other teen flicks came his way, but Ledger turned them down, preferring to remain idle than sign on for projects he didn't like.

"It wasn't a hard decision for me," Ledger told the Associated Press in 2001. "It was hard for everyone else around me to understand. Agents were like, `You're crazy,' my parents were like, `Come on, you have to eat.'"

His latest role was in "I'm Not There," in which he played one of the many incarnations of Bob Dylan — as did Cate Blanchett, whose performance in that film earned an Oscar nomination Tuesday for best supporting actress.

Offline canmore

• Alma
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:29 PM »
What a terrible news Seb told me some minutes ago. Heart Ledger died today. He was still so young. I can't find any word to say  :\'(

Offline Dottie

• Cassie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:31 PM »
Half an hour ago, I didn't know, and now I feel absolutely gutted. What shall we do without him  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Offline JonathanIT

• Cassie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:32 PM »
[edit]

I am just trying to make sense of it all....

--J.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2008, 06:14 PM by JonathanIT »

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:32 PM »
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/01/23/1201024937592.html

-------------------------------------

Heath Ledger dead
Ian Munro
January 23, 2008 - 8:50AM

Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger, 28, has died of a possible drug overdose involving sleeping pills in New York, police have confirmed.

He was found dead in his bed at his apartment on Broome Street, Soho in Manhattan by his housekeeper at 3.35pm local time, the TMZ website said.

A police spokesman told smh.com.au the cause of death was unknown, despite the presence of drugs.

"We don't have that (the cause of death) yet. The matter is still under investigation," the spokesman said.

He was pronouced dead at 3.45pm (0745 AEDT) by a medical examiner who went to the apartment.

US television network NBC reported his body was found surrounded by pills.

The New York Times is reporting that Ledger was discovered by a masseuse who arrived at his apartment for an appointment.

The masseuse was let in to the home by a housekeeper, who then knocked on the door of Ledger's bedroom, The New York Times reported.

When no one answered, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened the bedroom and found Ledger unconscious.
They shook him, but he did not respond. They immediately called the authorities. The police said they did not suspect foul play.

The housekeeper went to tell Ledger the masseuse had arrived and found him dead about 3.30pm New York time (0730 AEDT), AP said.

Law enforcement sources told TMZ they believe the death was not the result of a  crime.

Ledger was an Oscar nominee for his role in Brokeback Mountain and had numerous other screen credits.

His breakthrough role was the Australian movie Two Hands, directed by Gregor Jordan and in another movie from the same year, 10 Things I Hate about You, he established himself  as an up and coming star.

Ledger had a difficult relationship with some sections of the media.

In 2004 he allegedly spat at and assaulted a photographer in Sydney. The retaliation was during the premier to Brokeback Mountain when photographers squirted him with water on the red carpet.

Ledger was born in Perth, Western Australia.

The Perth-born actor had a two-year-old Matilda, with former fiancee and Brokeback Mountain co-star Michelle Williams.

He was the son of Sally Ledger Bell, a French teacher, and Kim Ledger, a race car driver and mining engineer.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:32 PM »
I'm shaking and crying like crazy here, I feel like dying myself. God I love this man he can't be dead he can't be!!!!!!!!!
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:33 PM »
My whole insides are twisted, I just logged on to the internet and saw the news and came straight here. Shocked to the core.

What can we say and do, it's like a good friend .  :ghug:
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:35 PM »
I got a call at work around 4:45 pm. I let out such a loud 'WHAT?!" that I'm surprised that my boss didn't come running. I started to shake and cry. I just can't believe this.  :\'( :\'( My mind is still in 'NO, NO, NO, NO" mode.  :\'( :\'( I didn't find a lot of details online. I can't process this. My brain just can't comprehend this. I already talked to a few Brokies on the phone. This is a time when I wish we were closer in proximity. I have too many thoughts running in my mind none of which make much sense right now. Geez it's on the scroll bar of the news right now. I can't believe this is true. I feel so sick right now. :\'(
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:35 PM »
I'm shacking, i'm speechless, and i'm on the verge of tears. When my mom told me, my stomach just dropped, I....he, he can't be dead...  :\'(  :\'( :\'(
"The day I stop having fun, I'll just walk away." -- Heath Ledger

"For a moment in our lives, forever in our hearts." -- Heath Ledger, 1/22/08

"In the dark, I really felt like I could escape to anywhere.
To a place where anything could happen at any time.
Where chaos could reign but the world would never end."
-- Noah Mayer

As the World Turns -- April 2, 1956 - September 17, 2010