Author Topic: Jack's love for Ennis  (Read 159020 times)

Sunflower79

Jack's love for Ennis
« on: May 14, 2006, 09:06 PM »
Since we have a topic about Ennis love for Jack..lets see if we can up with Jack showing his love for Ennis :)

Some of the scenes that come to my mind are
after Ennis coems back to camp at night and he was hurt by the bear and Jack tries to soothe him by wipping the blood from his face with his cloth..

the second tent scene..where Jack is tender and loving with Ennis. and the way he looks at him when he comes in just about melts me :)

the reunion kiss -true passion

when there lying in the motel room at night and there talking

when Jack tell Ennis he misses him so much..and he says it could be like this always, just like this..aww

Jack having his and Ennis shirts together in his closet

The first tent scene  :o

:)

greenfrog

Re: Jack's love for Ennis
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:28 PM »
I fell like almost everything he does, he does out of love for Ennis (even if that means letting him go).  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2006, 01:16 AM by greenfrog »

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 09:28 PM »
after Ennis coems back to camp at night and he was hurt by the bear and Jack tries to soothe him by wipping the blood from his face with his cloth..

I was well past my tenth viewing before I noticed that Jack took off HIS scarf while trying to tend to the dried blood on Ennis's face.  One minute before, he was mad because there was nothing to eat. Next thing...he's concerned about Ennis. :'( :'(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 10:15 PM by City Slickin' Cowboy »
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 10:03 PM »

I was well past my tenth viewing before I noticed that Jack took off HIS scarf while trying to tend to the dried blood on Ennis's face.  One minute before, he was mad because there was noting to eat. Next thing...he's concerned about Ennis. :'( :'(

City Slickin' Cowboy, this is indeed very beautiful.  Thanks.  :)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 10:13 PM »
First reunion on the mountain, after Ennis tells Jack they cannot have a life together but only some reunions in the wilderness once in a while.  Jack is indeed disappointed but he has this gesture of love and tenderness when he gently grabs Ennis ear and caress his cheek  :'(  Look at the eyes, both of them  :'( :'( :'(

La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 02:12 AM »
First reunion on the mountain, after Ennis tells Jack they cannot have a life together but only some reunions in the wilderness once in a while.  Jack is indeed disappointed but he has this gesture of love and tenderness when he gently grabs Ennis ear and caress his cheek  :'(  Look at the eyes, both of them  :'( :'( :'(

Cham, I love that - even though Ennis has just shot Jack's airplane out of the sky (thanks, Annie!), Jack loves him so much that he doesn't even consider fighting with him about it, he just reaches out and soothes Ennis with the gentlest of touches. I absolutely adore that little caress of his ear and stroke of his cheek and then, as the shot fades out, he slips his hand round to Ennis's neck and twines his fingers through his hair. If that ain't a sign of true love, I dunno what is.
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 04:46 AM »

Cham, I love that - even though Ennis has just shot Jack's airplane out of the sky (thanks, Annie!), Jack loves him so much that he doesn't even consider fighting with him about it, he just reaches out and soothes Ennis with the gentlest of touches. I absolutely adore that little caress of his ear and stroke of his cheek and then, as the shot fades out, he slips his hand round to Ennis's neck and twines his fingers through his hair. If that ain't a sign of true love, I dunno what is.

Oh me too, I love how Jack just takes the rejection but his love for Ennis is too strong to give up.  The way he looks at Ennis, the way he touches him, it's so so tender and beautiful. 

I think Jack's love for Ennis is so clear throughout the whole film......simply by the way Jack keeps coming back to Ennis, even after being rejected by Ennis over and over again. 

In the post-divorce scene, when Jack comes to see Ennis, all happy and excited, only to leave a few minutes later, heartbroken and devastated, do you notice how it is JACK who says to ENNIS "I'll see you next month then"?  Even after being rejected by Ennis, yet again, even knowing he's driven all that way for nothing, his love for Ennis is constant and knows that if this is all he can have of Ennis, then so be it.  I think that is a real testament to his love.   :'(  :'(  :'(
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 05:25 AM »
In the post-divorce scene, when Jack comes to see Ennis, all happy and excited, only to leave a few minutes later, heartbroken and devastated, do you notice how it is JACK who says to ENNIS "I'll see you next month then"?  Even after being rejected by Ennis, yet again, even knowing he's driven all that way for nothing, his love for Ennis is constant and knows that if this is all he can have of Ennis, then so be it.  I think that is a real testament to his love.   :'(  :'(  :'(

Oh, god yeah, you're so right. He's just driven 14 hours and had his dreams shattererd again (this is the only point of the movie where I find myself angry at Ennis for the way he is) but he knows that his feelings are too strong to even consider saying "fine, forget it then".

You know, the more I think about how Jack is with Ennis throughout, the more I think he's absolutely justified in his words at the end. I've always watched from Ennis's POV before, but this thread is making me want to try to watch from Jack's....

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 06:35 AM »

God.  What a way for me to strart the morning...

Painfully beautiful. 

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 06:37 AM »

God.  What a way for me to strart the morning...

Painfully beautiful. 

I know tpe, it is so painfully beautiful.  Look at the way Jack is looking at Ennis.  Pure, unbridled love.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 06:45 AM »

Oh, god yeah, you're so right. He's just driven 14 hours and had his dreams shattererd again (this is the only point of the movie where I find myself angry at Ennis for the way he is) but he knows that his feelings are too strong to even consider saying "fine, forget it then".

You know, the more I think about how Jack is with Ennis throughout, the more I think he's absolutely justified in his words at the end. I've always watched from Ennis's POV before, but this thread is making me want to try to watch from Jack's....

Another killer scene. 

All this is getting me too emotional for my own good.

Thanks all.

When he sees Ennis breaks down in their last meeting.  He can barely pronounce the beloved's name: 'Ennis...Ennis'.  The look in his face when he says this.  It is beyond compassion.  It is beyond death itself.  Ennis pushes him away and yet he fights back to hug him.   What dagger is this that Ang Lee thrusts into our hearts when he juxtaposes this embrace with the dozy embrace?  Jack expressing his love in the former; Ennis expressing his love in the latter.  Both are sexless.  Both are beyond words. 

The dozy embrace is perhaps the apex of Ennis's expression of love towards Jack.  The final bitter embrace is testament to Jack's endurance: it is love that struggles against the backdrop of a sickness verily unto death.

Offline CrimsonSky

• Jack
  • just like this always...
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 07:47 AM »

I was well past my tenth viewing before I noticed that Jack took off HIS scarf while trying to tend to the dried blood on Ennis's face.  One minute before, he was mad because there was nothing to eat. Next thing...he's concerned about Ennis. :'( :'(

I love this scene so much, from Jack sitting on his own going out of his mind wondering what's happened to Ennis, his smile of relief when he sees he's ok, his fake anger about having no food, his concern when he sees Ennis's injury, the loving way he tries to tend to him, the hurt and rejection in his eyes when Ennis takes the scarf off him, practically pushing him away...I think that whole part of the film was when Jack fully realised that he had feelings for Ennis. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 08:32 AM by CrimsonSky »
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 08:19 AM »
It was definitely a beginning.  If there were no feelings on Jack's part he might not have made any attempt to tend to Ennis's wound.

Offline CrimsonSky

• Jack
  • just like this always...
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 08:34 AM »
It was definitely a beginning.  If there were no feelings on Jack's part he might not have made any attempt to tend to Ennis's wound.

Absolutely. It was a gut reaction, to see someone you care about in pain, and instinctively you want to make them better :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 08:45 AM by CrimsonSky »
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 08:44 AM »

Absolutely. It was a gut reaction, to see someone you care about in pain, and instictively you want to make them better :)

That sums up this scene. It's very touching and always makes me smile.

Offline matron

• Alma Jr.
  • A love that will never grow old.
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 09:02 AM »
Oh gosh, I'm nearly crying here once again since those scenes are just absolutely beautiful and they make my heart melt.  :'( <3

I love it when Jack takes his scarf off and tries to tend Ennis' wound. Pure fondness and love. I also love the scene when they're last time at Brokeback Mountain. How Ennis just shouts at him to keep away but Jack hugs and holds him. I can feel Jack's LOVE towards Ennis.

Naturally we're not able to forget their little wrestling before leaving Brokeback.. How Ennis' nose starts to bleed and Jack looks so worried.  :-[         

(Btw, I _love that picture where Jack's touching Ennis' cheek gently. *___*)
You bet.

Offline shieldmaid

• Jack
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 09:57 AM »
For me another key scene where you see Jack's love for Ennis is when he meets Lureen in the bar and is dancing with her ("no one's gonna love you like me. . . ").  They are smiling and talking, but then at one moment you see him looking over her shoulder with desolation in his eyes, and you know he is thinking of Ennis.  If only they were holding one another instead.  :(
some open space between

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 10:07 AM »
Oh gosh, I'm nearly crying here once again since those scenes are just absolutely beautiful and they make my heart melt.  :'( <3

I love it when Jack takes his scarf off and tries to tend Ennis' wound. Pure fondness and love. I also love the scene when they're last time at Brokeback Mountain. How Ennis just shouts at him to keep away but Jack hugs and holds him. I can feel Jack's LOVE towards Ennis.

Naturally we're not able to forget their little wrestling before leaving Brokeback.. How Ennis' nose starts to bleed and Jack looks so worried.  :-[         

(Btw, I _love that picture where Jack's touching Ennis' cheek gently. *___*)

Oh god, that fight on Brokeback - Ennis starts the fight, Jack is forced to hit Ennis to prove something (although it's written in the book as an accident, it doesn't look like that to me in the film), and then as soon as he sees Ennis is hurt, he's there to tend to him, whispering "Ennis, Ennis, come here, its alright".  He's so loving and tender.  He just adores that man.  :'(

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 10:18 AM »
Oh god, that fight on Brokeback - Ennis starts the fight, Jack is forced to hit Ennis to prove something (although it's written in the book as an accident, it doesn't look like that to me in the film), and then as soon as he sees Ennis is hurt, he's there to tend to him, whispering "Ennis, Ennis, come here, its alright".  He's so loving and tender.  He just adores that man.  :'(

Ah, I really do believe it was an accident when Jack hit Ennis - he doesn't hit him with a punch, just with a flying elbow or something (it was his knee in the short story)

Offline ande_nem

• Lureen
  • I love my little nasty Jack
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 10:20 AM »
I think Jack's probably the one that effects me most. I know most people seem to identify with Ennis more, but I've been a Jack-lover right from the beginning. I agree with what someone else said, I think everything that Jack does in the entire movie shows how much he loves Ennis. It's so hard to pick out one scene in particular, but the one I noticed when I was watching BBM again a couple of days ago : Just after the "you sit down, before I knock your ignorant ass into next week" line, just before he goes to carve the turkey, he has this look on his face:

That look on his face, on the first picture, I think shows that he's thinking about Ennis - and the reason he's shouting at his father-in-law and getting so angry is because he misses Ennis so much. Does everyone agree, or I am reading too much into it?
I hope you know that, even if you don't never know the rest

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 10:25 AM »
I think Jack's probably the one that effects me most. I know most people seem to identify with Ennis more, but I've been a Jack-lover right from the beginning. I agree with what someone else said, I think everything that Jack does in the entire movie shows how much he loves Ennis. It's so hard to pick out one scene in particular, but the one I noticed when I was watching BBM again a couple of days ago : Just after the "you sit down, before I knock your ignorant ass into next week" line, just before he goes to carve the turkey, he has this look on his face:

That look on his face, on the first picture, I think shows that he's thinking about Ennis - and the reason he's shouting at his father-in-law and getting so angry is because he misses Ennis so much. Does everyone agree, or I am reading too much into it?

ande_nem, don't worry, you will find quite a number of Jack lovers in this forum also.

We all love Ennis and Jack.  They are inseparable.

But there are deeply personal things that make each of us gravitate to either one...  This is to be expected.

I, for one, am hopelessly in love with the character of Jack Twist.

I cannot say precisely why, except that he breaks my heart.

Offline matron

• Alma Jr.
  • A love that will never grow old.
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 11:24 AM »
Actually I also feel Jack a lot more closer character despite the fact that of course Ennis is so adorable and I love them both. But for me; it feels just easier to see myself in Jack. Maybe it's just because I'm that kind of person who needs love and tenderness and doesn't have strenght enough to wait for that kind of engaging forever..

I also thought that at the thanksgiving dinner Jack was thinking about Ennis and he started shouting since he was missing Ennis so much it hurted. + His father-in-law said:"Boys have to watch football" (or something). That comment had a little message:"Hey, real men do watch football. Real men don't cry. Real men are not homosexual." and it made Jack so upset. Or at least I got it like that..           
You bet.

Sunflower79

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 11:26 AM »
They both break my heart..
In the post-divorce scene, when Jack comes to see Ennis, all happy and excited, only to leave a few minutes later, heartbroken and devastated, do you notice how it is JACK who says to ENNIS "I'll see you next month then"?  Even after being rejected by Ennis, yet again, even knowing he's driven all that way for nothing, his love for Ennis is constant and knows that if this is all he can have of Ennis, then so be it.  I think that is a real testament to his love.       

this scene defently breaks my heart, seeing Jack so exicted about seeing ennis after his divorce only to have his heart broken..so sad  :'(

[Oh god, that fight on Brokeback - Ennis starts the fight, Jack is forced to hit Ennis to prove something (although it's written in the book as an accident, it doesn't look like that to me in the film), and then as soon as he sees Ennis is hurt, he's there to tend to him, whispering "Ennis, Ennis, come here, its alright".  He's so loving and tender.  He just adores that man. 

/quote]

this scene also says so much and how much love Jack has for Ennis

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 11:29 AM »

I felt, at that moment, Jack was feeling completely trapped dealing with Lureen's father.  It was his breaking point, and he was feeling overwhelmed finally standing up to him.  It must've been awfully awkward during the rest of that T'day evening.  Wonder if there was any small talk after that or they just finished the meal silently and just left...

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 12:44 PM »
I felt, at that moment, Jack was feeling completely trapped dealing with Lureen's father.  It was his breaking point, and he was feeling overwhelmed finally standing up to him.  It must've been awfully awkward during the rest of that T'day evening.  Wonder if there was any small talk after that or they just finished the meal silently and just left...

I imagine there was minimal small talk. I don't think the rest of the meal would have eaten in complete silence because of the child. My guess is Lureen would have initiated some conversation just to give the kid the impression everything was OK.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 02:06 PM »

I did not answer this question. Yes, I thought the same thing.

This is the same look he has when Jack is subtly propositioned by Randall.  He was also thinking of Ennis, IMO.

It is the same look when he looks out into the river after he tells Ennis about Lureen and the adding machine.  You know excactly what is on his mind, in spite of what he says.  'For all it's worth' -- these words said by Jack project a double meaning for me...

Finally, it is the same look you see when he says 'Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.'  You knew even before he said this that he had Ennis first and foremost in his mind -- even as he confesses his unfaithfulness in so oblique/indirect a manner.

Jake's acting is remarkably consistent.  This is one such example.  It is a deeply intellectual interpretation of a deeply felt characterization.  And it is made doubly rich by the profundity of emotion used in building the character of Jack Twist.

Indeed, Jack's love for Ennis can almost be taken for granted -- until you realize the intellectual and emotional underpinnings of Gyllenhaal's interpretation.  He makes all this seemingly invisible.  That is where Jake Gyllenhaal's genius lies.

Offline shieldmaid

• Jack
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 03:15 PM »
These are really incredibly observations.  I had never thought of that before, but it's so true that we see Jack's pain through this facial expression in so many moments:

-"it's nobody's business but ours"
-when he tries to buy Jimbo the rodeo clown a beer and is rebuffed
-dancing with Lureen the first time they meet (looking over her shoulder)
-watching Lureen with her parents after the baby is born
-"it could be a sweet life"
-when Randall propositions him
-"the truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it"
-watching Ennis drive away the last time they're together

And I know there are many other times.  I have always been a bigger Heath/Ennis fan, but Jake really wins me over more and more, the more often I watch.  Jack is a big-hearted man.  :(
some open space between

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 03:22 PM »
These are really incredibly observations.  I had never thought of that before, but it's so true that we see Jack's pain through this facial expression in so many moments:

-"it's nobody's business but ours"
-when he tries to buy Jimbo the rodeo clown a beer and is rebuffed
-dancing with Lureen the first time they meet (looking over her shoulder)
-watching Lureen with her parents after the baby is born
-"it could be a sweet life"
-when Randall propositions him
-"the truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it"
-watching Ennis drive away the last time they're together

And I know there are many other times.  I have always been a bigger Heath/Ennis fan, but Jake really wins me over more and more, the more often I watch.  Jack is a big-hearted man.  :(

This is a superb listing.

-dancing with Lureen the first time they meet (looking over her shoulder) -- I had cited this in my last Poem & Pix.  But I had forgotten to cite this here...

Beautiful.  Simply beautiful, shieldmaid...

Offline MississaugaRed

• Jack + Ennis
  • Gone too soon, but never forgotten.
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2006, 03:56 PM »
OMG, this thread may well kill me!  Every one of the moments  you've all mentioned cuts deep.   Shieldmaid, that list of yours hits so many of the beautiful Jack moments, it's like reliving his life all over again.  :'(

The compassion and pity I feel for Ennis can't be compared to the heartbreak that Jack generates in me.  His openness makes you want so to protect him, always, but he puts himself in harms way from the moment he and Ennis are bonded together.  Would probably tell you it was worth the cost, too.

My heart starts breaking for him the morning after FNIT, when he walks out to catch Ennis about to ride off .. there is a quality in his voice when he says "See ya for supper", that just screams vulnerability, I think.  And that look on his face, like he's waiting for what's coming next and doesn't expect much good to be said to him, although the hope is so strong you can almost touch it.

IMO, there are few scenes where you don't see Jack's love for Ennis, and I say that about his trip to Mexico, too.  A great love lays itself open to great hurt and can send you on paths that might never otherwise be travelled. So I guess I see a lot of Jack's love for Ennis not just in the sweet things he says or does, but also in those moments when he might appear tainted to some.

OT - Tpe, I think we are united in our admiration for Jake Gyllenhaal, for how surpassingly brilliant he was in the nuances of portraying Jack Twist.  I only see Jack Twist, never Jake when I'm immersed in BBM.
"Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan".
My hovercraft is full of eels.

“I miss you,” Jack whispered. “I miss you.” He felt loved. He felt heard. Shades of Grey by MidwestGirl

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 04:11 PM »
OMG, this thread may well kill me!  Every one of the moments  you've all mentioned cuts deep.   Shieldmaid, that list of yours hits so many of the beautiful Jack moments, it's like reliving his life all over again.  :'(

The compassion and pity I feel for Ennis can't be compared to the heartbreak that Jack generates in me.  His openness makes you want so to protect him, always, but he puts himself in harms way from the moment he and Ennis are bonded together.  Would probably tell you it was worth the cost, too.

My heart starts breaking for him the morning after FNIT, when he walks out to catch Ennis about to ride off .. there is a quality in his voice when he says "See ya for supper", that just screams vulnerability, I think.  And that look on his face, like he's waiting for what's coming next and doesn't expect much good to be said to him, although the hope is so strong you can almost touch it.

IMO, there are few scenes where you don't see Jack's love for Ennis, and I say that about his trip to Mexico, too.  A great love lays itself open to great hurt and can send you on paths that might never otherwise be travelled. So I guess I see a lot of Jack's love for Ennis not just in the sweet things he says or does, but also in those moments when he might appear tainted to some.

OT - Tpe, I think we are united in our admiration for Jake Gyllenhaal, for how surpassingly brilliant he was in the nuances of portraying Jack Twist.  I only see Jack Twist, never Jake when I'm immersed in BBM.

Indeed, in most of his movies, he does become invariably invisible.  He submerges into the depths of his characters... 

It is interesting that I always refer to Jack looking at a departing Ennis in the last meeting as Jack Twist's last scene in BBM.  This is of course incorrect. The murder scene is the last scene.

I invariably don't reference this murder scene as Jack's last scene, if I can help it.  It is too painful.  EVEN IN THAT HORRIFIC SCENE, I THINK HE WAS THINKING ONLY OF ENNIS!  I consider this to be the ultimate expression of Jack's love, even if its connection with Ennis is really tenuous, if not ambiguous, in both story and screenplay.

Jack was willing to die for his dream -- to take the risk.  For this, I shall love him forever.