Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain 5th Anniversary Screening  (Read 33016 times)

Offline PST

• Cassie
Brokeback Mountain 5th Anniversary Screening
« on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:45 AM »
I just got the detailed information on this event from the Autry Museum!   :)

I will try to be there.  If anyone else is coming from the San Francisco Bay Area, Southwest
flights are $49 each way - and there could also the possibility of a Brokie train trip!!   :)

Pete

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: ydeleon@autrynationalcenter.org
Sent: 11/23/2009 3:51:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: Autry Explores LGBT Community with New "Out West" Series

Autry National Center

4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, CA 90027

323.667.2000, www.autrynationalcenter.org

Attached image: Brokeback Mountain shirts. Collection of Tom Gregory. Photo by Susannah Leam.

Please see attached invite jpg.

Autry National Center Explores LGBT Community in the American West

With Inaugural Out West Series

“What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar?”

December 13, 3:00–5:00 p.m., Free

Seen Through the Lens of Brokeback Mountain,

First Program in Out West Series Includes Film Critic Kenneth Turan

Major Support Provided by HBO

Los Angeles (November 23, 2009) — The Autry National Center, the first major American museum to recognize the contributions of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community to the American West, is proud to announce the creation of the Out West series.  This series of programs, scheduled to take place over the next twelve months, will feature Western scholars, authors, artists, politicians, musicians, and friends of Western LGBTs in discussions and gallery talks at the Autry.  Programs currently being considered examine LGBT Native Americans, LGBT rodeo culture, LGBT political strides including the struggle for marriage equality, and LGBT contributions to the Western arts.

“What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar?” is the first program in the Out West series. When Gene Autry issued his ten-point “Cowboy Code” in the 1940s, he could not have anticipated the story of Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, but the messages of tolerance, fairness, and integrity the Code promotes speak to the acceptance for which the Brokeback Mountain characters longed. Their story is the departure point for this first discussion.  Scheduled for December 13 in the Wells Fargo theater, the panel will be moderated by Virginia Scharff, author and professor of history/director of the Center for the Southwest at the University of New Mexico. The program focuses on the representation of homosexuality in the West before, during, and after the era depicted in the movie, and explores the Academy Award–winning film’s significance in renewing the Western film for contemporary audiences.

Panelists will also discuss Brokeback Mountain’s impact as a pop-cultural milestone pointing to larger societal conflicts, such as the “red state/blue state” schism that mirrors rural and urban demographics—a divide that often compels LGBT Westerners to reluctantly abandon rural homes in search of more inclusive enclaves in larger urban areas. The panel includes Los Angeles Times and NPR film critic Kenneth Turan; Peter M. Nardi, Ph.D., author and professor of sociology at Pitzer College; and William Handley, associate professor of English at the University of Southern California and editor of The Brokeback Book (forthcoming).

“We are proud to be a sponsor of Out West,” said Michael Lombardo, President, Programming and West Coast Operations, HBO, “The Autry National Center is to be commended for shining a spotlight on the contributions of the LGBT community to the history and culture of the American West. As a major Western cultural institution, they have taken the lead in engaging contemporary LGBT issues in an unprecedented forum. We wish them continued success with their extraordinary programming mission.”  

Conceived by Gregory Hinton, consulting producer for the series, Out West was inspired not only by the Autry’s recent installation of the iconic shirts worn by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in the film Brokeback Mountain but also by the permanent inclusion of the International Gay Rodeo Association's (IGRA) archives into the Autry Library (both facilitated by Hinton). Mrs. Gene Autry presided over a launch event in August 2009 celebrating the loan of the shirts from collector Tom Gregory, who won them at a charity auction and shared Hinton’s vision for using them toward a greater good. At the installation of the iconic shirts, the Autry National Center’s President and CEO John Gray said, “The American West is a place for all of us, and all of us have a place in the West.”

“For me,” said Gregory Hinton, who was born in Montana and raised in Wyoming, “the Out West series at the Autry National Center, and all of the experts and participants involved, underscores the need for gay men and women who leave their rural communities to reclaim their country heritage. They may find safety and companionship in cities, but they leave behind a spirit and a connection to the land that cannot be replaced. For those of us who come from the West, it’s in our blood and never lets us go.”

The Out West series at the Autry National Center is made possible through the generous support of Tom Gregory, HBO, the Gill Foundation, and the Small Change Foundation, in association with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), and the Courage Campaign.

About the Panel Moderator:

Virginia Scharff is professor of history and director of the Center for the Southwest at the University of New Mexico. Her scholarly works include Taking the Wheel: Women and the Coming of the Motor Age (1991); Twenty Thousand Roads: Women, Movement, and the West (2003); Present Tense: The United States Since 1945 (1996); Coming of Age: America in the Twentieth Century (1998); and the edited volume, Seeing Nature Through Gender (2003). She is the Women of the West Chair at the Autry National Center in Los Angeles, and a Fellow of the Society of American Historians, and was the Beinecke Senior Research Fellow in the Lamar Center for Frontiers and Borders at Yale University (2008-9). Scharff’s work-in-progress, The Women Jefferson Loved, will be published by HarperCollins in 2010. She is also the author of four mystery suspense novels, written under the name of VIRGINIA SWIFT: Brown-Eyed Girl (2000), Bad Company (2002), Bye, Bye, Love (2004), and Hello, Stranger (2006).

About the Panelists:

William Handley is an associate professor of English at the University of Southern California who teaches and writes on the literature and culture of the American West. He is the author of Marriage, Violence, and the Nation in the American Literary West, coeditor of an essay collection on Western authenticity, and the editor of The Brokeback Book, to be published around the fifth anniversary of Brokeback Mountain by University of Nebraska Press. He has also written on 19th-century anti-polygamy rhetoric and the contemporary rhetoric against gay marriage.

Peter M. Nardi, Ph.D. is professor of sociology at Pitzer College, a member of the Claremont Colleges. He is the author of Gay Men’s Friendships: Invincible Communities (Chicago, 1999); editor of Men’s Friendships (Sage, 1992) and Gay Masculinities (Sage, 2000); coeditor of Social Perspectives in Lesbian & Gay Studies: A Reader (Routledge, 1998); Growing Up Before Stonewall: Lifestories of Some Gay Men (Routledge, 1994); and In Changing Times: Gay Men & Lesbians Encounter HIV/AIDS (Chicago, 1997). He also wrote two textbooks in survey research methods and formerly served as co-president of GLAAD/LA, chair of the Lesbian & Gay Caucus of the American Sociological Association, and president of the Pacific Sociological Association.

Kenneth Turan is the film critic for the Los Angeles Times and NPR's Morning Edition, as well as the director of the Los Angeles Times Book Prizes. He has been a staff writer for the Washington Post and TV Guide, and served as the Times' book review editor. A graduate of Swarthmore College and Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, he is the coauthor of Call Me Anna: The Autobiography of Patty Duke. He teaches film reviewing and nonfiction writing at USC and is on the board of directors of the National Yiddish Book Center. His most recent books are Doubleday’s Free For All: Joe Papp, the Public and the Greatest Theater Story Ever Told: the University of California Press’s Sundance to Sarajevo: Film Festivals and the World They Made; and Never Coming to a Theater Near You, published by Public Affairs Press.

About Gregory Hinton, Consulting Producer, Out West

The son of a country newspaper editor, Gregory Hinton was born in Wolf Point, Montana, on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. Raised in Cody, Wyoming, Hinton graduated from the University of Colorado at Boulder, which he attended on a creative writing scholarship. He is the author of four critically acclaimed novels, including Cathedral City (2001), Desperate Hearts (2002), The Way Things Ought to Be (2003), and Santa Monica Canyon (2007). All of his books are endorsed by the American Library Association’s Booklist, among other national reviews. Hinton is also an independent filmmaker whose credits include It’s My Party (1996), which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, and Circuit (2003), which received international theatrical distribution. For his fifth novel, Night Rodeo, Gregory Hinton participated in a 2009 Spring Residency at the prestigious Ucross Foundation in Wyoming.

About the Autry National Center

The Autry National Center is an intercultural history center dedicated to exploring the experiences and perceptions of the diverse peoples of the American West. The Autry celebrates the cultures of the American West through three institutions on two Los Angeles campuses: the Southwest Museum of the American Indian in Mt. Washington; the Museum of the American West in Griffith Park; and the Institute for the Study for the American West, which comprises the Braun Research Library and the Autry Library and is headquartered in Griffith Park.

The hours of operation for Autry National Center’s museum at its Griffith Park location are Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Autry Store’s weekday hours are Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and the Golden Spur Cafe is open Tuesday through Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday hours for the museum and the Autry Store are 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The museum, the Autry Store, and the cafe are closed on Mondays.

Museum admission is $9 for adults, $5 for students and seniors 60+, $3 for children 3–12, and free for Autry members, veterans, and children 2 and under. Admission is free on the second Tuesday of every month.

###

For press inquiries only, contact:

Yadhira De Leon

Sr. Manager, Public Relations

Autry National Center

323.667.2000, ext. 327

ydeleon@autrynationalcenter.org

www.autrynationalcenter.org

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2010, 07:57 PM by ethan »
I didn't know we was goin a get into this again -- yeah, I did. Redlined it all the way, couldn't get here fast enough.

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
Re: News Coverage: 2009
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2009, 04:41 PM »

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: Autry Explores LGBT Community with New "Out West" Series
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Thanks to ksxks for passing this news article to my attention.

'Out West' at the Autry examines the history of homosexuals and transgender people in the Old West
Museum officials say the series may be the first of its kind.

'Out West'

By David Ng

December 15, 2009

Say the words "gay cowboy" and chances are the conversation will turn to "Brokeback Mountain," the 2005 film starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, and based on the Annie Proulx short story.

The Oscar-winning drama, which is set in the 1960s to '80s, highlighted a long-submerged facet of frontier culture. But as a new series at the Autry National Center shows, the presence of homosexuals and transgender individuals in the American West is much older than the movie might lead you to think. It is, in fact, almost as old as the West itself.

Take for instance the tale of One-Eyed Charlie.

A stagecoach driver known for his hard drinking and itchy trigger finger, Charlie worked for the California Stage Co., where he earned his reputation as one of the best drivers in the wild West. He traveled between Oregon and California and, the story goes, got his nickname when he lost an eye while attempting to shoe a horse.

Organizers are planning to return to "Brokeback Mountain" with a performance of fiction and other literature written by "Brokies" -- an informal group of fans who strongly identify with the film.

Eric Hooper, who lives in San Jose, is a Brokie who said he has seen the movie 56 times in theaters, flying across the country to catch screenings at various festivals and events.

The movie came as a revelation, he said, after living in a city for most of his adult life. "That's what really struck me about 'Brokeback' -- it presented the possibility of being gay and living in rural America."

read Full article

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-et-out-west15-2009dec15,0,6149105,full.story
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2009, 03:41 PM »
Autry Weekend Recap: Brokies Out West

By Lyle (Mooska)

About 25 Brokies, mostly from the West Coast, arrived in a rainy L.A. this past weekend to celebrate the "Whatever Happened to Ennis Del Mar?" event at the Autry National Center.

Saturday evening many gathered at the home of forum member Sparky for a holiday party. A bright fireplace and numerous candles hid the fact the electricity had been out for a while that evening! Sparky was an original contributor to The Daily Sheet when it first began. His huge collection of "penguin" related items is always a highlight (for me!) at his Christmas gatherings!

On Sunday, most of the attendees gathered at the Golden Spur Cafe at the Autry at noon for lunch. We got to meet Deb (deblibdr) a new forum member and welcome her to the forum! The food items were all western themed or named, and I know a couple who tried the Buffalo Meatloaf. While there, the director of the Autry museum visited with us as well as Gregory Hinton, the event organizer, and a reporter from the L.A. Times spoke with several members. I felt we were quite warmly welcomed there all afternoon.

Before the event, which was held at the Wells Fargo Theater, several of us toured parts of the museum and browsed through the gift store, which does indeed have the dvd of Brokeback Mountain available for purchase. A current exhibit at the museum features the artistry of Indian basketry. Another section which houses the Western theme in entertainment has items from Buffalo Bill and Annie Oakley all the way through Gene Autry, Thelma and Louise and Brokeback Mountain. Gary Cooper’s Oscar for High Noon is prominently displayed. The painting exhibits are spectacularly lit and inviting.  

The actual event has been described elsewhere, but afterwards there was a dessert reception in the lobby where we could mingle with the panel participants and have personal Q&A’s with them if we desired. Tom Gregory, who owns the BBM shirts was present and many took the opportunity to view that display which was opened free of charge for this event. Gregory mentioned that the Smithsonian Institution has asked him to consider donating the Brokeback Mountain shirts to its collection! Perhaps a Topic of the Week Question should touch on this, whether they should be toured around by Tom Gregory here and there or have a permanent place at the Smithsonian?

It was a unique afternoon in a lovely setting (Griffith Park) which was made all the more special in the company of our forum member friends.
--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=38414.0

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2009, 03:44 PM »

Gregory Hinton, Eric/sfericsf, Tom Gregory, John (BBMJWT), Lyle, and Pete/ptannen (PST).
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2009, 04:25 PM by BBMJWT »

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:53 AM »
John, thanks for sharing the experience and the photo.

Oh...those shirts have re-united with Brokies.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2010, 10:37 PM »
BBM Fan and I went to Autry Museum to see the shirts. It is a very interesting museum. Seeing the shirts was a mixed feeling.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Ethan: Not sure what you meant by "mixed", but maybe I do. I saw the shirts during a visit in January and was so very happy to know that they are exhibited in a place where everybody can see them (not in someones private collection), but I was disappointed to see them in a display case with so much other thematic western costume gear.

The other movie clothing was just that, basically just props with little additional cultural or social import. To me (and I think fair to say 1,000s or even millions of others) these shirts represent substantially more than just movie props and costumes. Obviously Mr. Gregory (owner of the shirts) was very fortunate to make arrangements with the Autry to have them included here in any fashion. Maybe someday they (the museum) will be able (and so inclined) to present the shirts more uniquely with an expansion of the display conveying the import of these icons to the gay community. One step at a time.
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:59 AM »
jackster, glad you were able to see them too. My feeling was happy and at the same time sad. I was so happy to see the iconic shirts which led to the forum where we came to connect. I was also very sad to see shirts worn by Jack and by Heath. It was hard to think of it.

Your observation is right on. I didn't even notice until you pointed it out. I was completely drawn to the shirts and they just glowed on me so those surroundings didn't even bother me that much. Indeed, the owner was gracious enough to loan them for exhibitions.

I also hope that there will be an expansion to document/exhibit these icons but like you said, one step at a time.

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ennis for Mr Brokeback 2007!!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2010, 02:25 PM »
I also hope that there will be an expansion to document/exhibit these icons but like you said, one step at a time.

slowly but surely.

I would love to see them too one day, thank you so much for posting the photos x
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592)

Heath, I swear ...

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2010, 04:29 PM »
Froggy:
I posted some views over in another thread (gay issues around the world), but here's another view from a bit further away than ethan's to give an idea of the surroundings of the display.
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2010, 05:45 PM »
jacster, thanks for the pic. Now I really don't like the surrounding.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2010, 01:04 PM »
BBM Fan and I went to Autry Museum to see the shirts. It is a very interesting museum. Seeing the shirts was a mixed feeling.

OMG they put the postcard next to it... I don't know why it hits me so hard. But I think if I was standing there in front of them I'd be in tears. :_(
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline Ferdinand

• Jack
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2010, 04:18 PM »
That's right. Attack right in the heart ... When I look this shirt, my heart hurts me so much. For me, they will always be a symbol of forbidden love. The pictures are wonderful, thank you for them.
Go to sleep, may your sweet dreams come true,
Just lay back in my arms for one more night.

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2010, 03:56 PM »
The final event in the 'Out West' series is scheduled for December 11, 2010.

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 26, 2010, 03:57 PM »

Brokeback Mountain

Fifth Anniversary Screening

December 11, 2010

Followed by a staged reading of selections from the book
"Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film"

The Autry

4700 Western Heritage Way , Los Angeles , CA 90027

323.667.2000, www.theAutry.org

THIS PROGRAM IS SPONSORED BY:

The Out West series at the Autry National Center is made possible through the generous support of Tom Gregory, HBO, the Gill Foundation, and The Small Change Foundation, in association with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), and the Courage Campaign.

Focus Features is providing the film, and according to Gregory Hinton " they are very pleased about the Autry program. Brokeback Mountain remains their top grossing film and they are very proud of their relationship with Ang Lee."

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 26, 2010, 05:10 PM »

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 26, 2010, 05:58 PM »
Richardson Part of The Autry’s Hip New Generation

“Whether it’s a painting, a sculpture, a guitar, a movie poster, they all have the same meaning; they’re all historical artifacts that tell interesting stories,” Richardson said. “But the meaning is what you as the individual see in it. It’s not what we at the museum . . . say it has. It’s how you relate to that artifact.”

The Autry’s mixture of objects includes artifacts representing hitherto unrecognized communities that form part of the West. Richardson said the addition last year of shirts that were part of costumes used in the movie “Brokeback Mountain” is a core example of the museum’s purpose.

“The Brokeback shirts are exactly what our mission is,” Richardson said. “They symbolize that larger story of what we’re trying to do: the complexity of the American West.”

The Autry has continued that conversation in a series of lectures, discussions and gallery tours called “Out West,” which explores the contributions of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered community to the life of the West. The next “Out West” event is May 13.

Richardson recalled how, after the installation, a tall, burly man in a Stetson thanked him for it with tears in his eyes.

“For so long, his story as a gay man growing up in the West and being a cowboy was never told,” Richarson said. “He never thought a museum like this would tell that particular story.”

http://blog.theautry.org/2010/04/01/richardson-part-of-the-autrys-hip-new-generation/

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
Re: Brokeback Mountain 5th Anniversary Screening
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:32 PM »

If anyone needs tickets you can buy them online:

http://theautry.org/beyond-brokeback-reservations

Offline brokebacksoul

• Jack + Ennis
  • All beauty is sad. (Ophelias Dream)
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2010, 10:36 AM »
That's just wonderful ...  :clap:
I've read "Beyond Brokeback" many many times ... and I still bury myself in that book very often...
 it also comforted me a lot when I was really suffering from PBS ...
I love the idea of watching the film in combination with a reading of that book !!
Wish I could be there but this would be a rather long journey ;)
Hope those who attend will enjoy it :)
You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness. (Gotye)

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:30 PM »
Check out the listing for Brokeback Mountain on page 68 of the current edition of L.A. Magazine

http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?o=int&pub=325808344&prev=sub&offer=351516436

just enter 'brokeback' in the search bar at the bottom, and then click on the page that appears on the right.

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:31 PM »
Diana Ossana, Academy Award-winning screenplay writer of Brokeback Mountain will be at the theatre on the morning of Dec 11 for an 11 a.m. press event

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:32 PM »

FROM JAMES SCHAMUS - CEO FOCUS FEATURES

Sent: Fri Dec 03 08:15:15 2010
Subject: Brokeback 5th Anniversary at the Autry

Really can't thank you enough. It's not simply that the film, as they say, lives on - it's that it's sharing that life with a real sense of purpose with folks like you.

Best, js

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:36 AM »
video: Diana Ossana speaking from the stage at the end of the Brokeback Mountain screening

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:38 AM »

Photo by Abel Gutierrez. Courtesy of the Autry National Center

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:39 AM »

Diana Ossana recounts fond memories of working on the film Brokeback Mountain to fans of the film.

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2010, 03:00 AM by BBMJWT »

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:40 AM »

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:41 AM »

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:42 AM »

Offline BBMJWT

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:46 AM »
The Autry’s Fifth-Anniversary Screening of Brokeback Mountain
and Staged Reading of Audience Reactions to the Film from the Book Beyond Brokeback
Filled with Praise for Film and Heartfelt Stories

As part of the successful series Out West at the Autry, the “Beyond Brokeback”
event included the movie presentation and staged reading of excerpts of the book
Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film included music inspired by the film

Los Angeles (December 16, 2010) — On Saturday, December 11, 2010, the Autry National Center, in association with Focus Features, celebrated the fifth anniversary of the screen debut of Brokeback Mountain with a film screening, a staged reading of excerpts from the book Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film, and a special appearance by Diana Ossana, producer and Oscar-winning screenwriter of the film. The event was part of the acclaimed program Out West at the Autry, a series of public events focusing on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) history and culture in the West with gallery talks, film screenings, lectures, performances, and other cultural events. Also announced was the continuation of Out West at the Autry in Griffith Park and Bozeman , Montana , with more national dates to be announced.

The moving event featured a welcome and presentation presided over by Daniel Finley , Autry President and CEO, in the Autry’s Imagination Gallery, where the Brokeback Mountain shirts are currently on display. David Bohnett, philanthropist and technology entrepreneur, provided the keynote speech and spoke of his partner, Tom Gregory, owner of the shirts, who generously loaned them for display at the Autry. “Tom's passion for collecting and preserving our history comes from a belief that those that have come before us have left an important legacy through their work and creativity. We would do well as a society to learn from those contributions and foster a culture of respect for our heritage,” he said. Out West at the Autry creator and producer Gregory Hinton also noted, “Greater national attention needs to be paid to the LGBT Western rural communities, who steadfastly maintain visibility with far less assurances and protection than we take for granted in the city. Brokeback Mountain very movingly portrayed the problem, but offered little in the way of a solution. We achieve visibility and normalcy by telling our stories, sharing our culture, and staking our claim in the lodestone of Western American history. This is the mission of Out West at the Autry.”

As the film screening ended and the house lights brightened, guests were greeted by Diana Ossana, producer and Oscar-winning screenwriter of Brokeback Mountain . She thanked the audience for their support of the film and invited them to view the Brokeback Mountain shirts with her in the Autry’s Imagination Gallery (this would be the first time she would see the shirts since working on the film). The emotion-filled gallery was quiet as Ossana stood in a private moment. Moving back to the center of the gallery, she began to speak to the crowd, leading to nearly an hour’s worth of conversation about the film—particularly its leading stars, Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. “There are so many memories associated [with the Brokeback Mountain shirts] because I was there,” said Ossana as she contemplated the display. When asked about her passion for creating the film she said, “I’m a woman. I’m not gay, but lightning struck with this film, and it was amazing. I could not let it go. Every time I read the script I would cry again—and I wrote it!” she laughed. “Everyone has a different take on the film. It is a universal love story but the reason it affects people is because it’s specific about two men and it cuts to our hearts. The way people responded, it created dialogue, and I love that.”

After an awe-inspiring in-person conversation with Ossana, the audience filed back into the theatre for the Beyond Brokeback staged reading, adapted by Gregory Hinton and featuring Tom Gregory, William Handley, Ryan Harrison, Marlene Head, Michael Butler Murray, Lydia Nibley, and Jeffrey Richardson.  Each read various excerpts of poignant and humorous messages, essays, and poetry—by writers young and old, male and female, gay and straight—from the book Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film. The book was written by members of an online community, the Ultimate Brokeback Forum, many of whom attended the celebration from as far away as San Francisco , Virginia , New York , and London . Harrison sang the Brokeback-inspired song “Meet Me on the Mountain” from the CD of the same name, written by composer Shawn Kirchner, with Murray on acoustic guitar and Head, Murray, and Nibley adding background vocals. Head also performed “Up All Night,” another song from the same CD, with Harrison, Murray, and Nibley on background.

Brokeback Mountain was produced and released by Focus Features in December 2005. Hinton worked with James Schamus, CEO of Focus Features, to create this fifth-anniversary commemoration—the only Brokeback Mountain anniversary screening of its kind.

Future Out West at the Autry programs include a book event with Heather Hole, Boston Museum of Fine Art curator and author of Marsden Hartley and the American West; a survey of the “Two Spirit” Native American tradition, which honors individuals perceived as having blended male and female spirits; an in-gallery program, Pride in the Saddle: Gay and Lesbian Rodeo; and a book event with Patricia Nell Warren who will discuss her new book My West. In addition, the Bozeman Library Foundation and Montana Pride will present Out West at the Bozeman Library during annual Montana Pride festivities on June 18, 2011, where oral histories will be collected and offered to the Montana Historical Society.

Out West at the Autry continues the dialogue started by the Autry's installation of the iconic shirts worn by stars Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in the film, as well as the permanent inclusion of the International Gay Rodeo Association's (IGRA) archives into the Autry Library, both facilitated by Gregory Hinton.

About Out West at the Autry

Out West at the Autry is a series of public programs that explores the contributions of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community to Western American history by bringing together scholars, authors, artists, politicians, musicians, and others for gallery discussions, performances, and screenings. Conceived by independent curator Gregory Hinton in 2009, Out West at the Autry was inspired by the Autry’s installation of the iconic shirts worn by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in the film Brokeback Mountain, on loan from collector Tom Gregory, as well as the permanent inclusion of the International Gay Rodeo Association (IGRA) archives into the Autry library, both facilitated by Hinton. Beginning in 2011, the Autry will present four public Out West at Autry events and the series will travel to other Western institutions.

Out West at the Autry is made possible through the generous support of Tom Gregory, HBO, the Gill Foundation, and the Small Change Foundation, in association with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), and the Courage Campaign.

Autry National Center

The Autry National Center , formed in 2003 by the merger of the Autry Museum of Western Heritage with the Southwest Museum of the American Indian and the Women of the West Museum , is an intercultural history center dedicated to exploring and sharing the stories, experiences, and perceptions of the diverse peoples of the American West. Located in Griffith Park , the Autry’s collection of over 500,000 pieces of art and artifacts, which includes the collection of the Southwest Museum of the American Indian, is one of the largest and most significant in the United States . The Autry Institute includes two research libraries: the Braun Research Library and the Autry Library. Exhibitions, public programs, K–12 educational services, and publications are designed to examine critical issues of society, offering insights into solutions and the contemporary human condition through the Western historical experience.

Weekday hours of operation for the Autry in Griffith Park location are Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Autry Store’s weekday hours are Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and the Golden Spur Cafe is open Tuesday through Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday hours for the museum and the Autry Store are 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The museum, the Autry Store, and the cafe are closed on Mondays. The libraries are open to researchers by appointment.

Museum admission is $9 for adults, $5 for students and seniors 60+, $3 for children 3–12, and free for Autry members, veterans, and children 2 and under. Admission is free on the second Tuesday of every month. For more information, visit www.TheAutry.org.

Yadhira De Leon

323.667.2000, ext. 327

ydeleon@theAutry.org
--------------------------------------------------------------------

PR with photos:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1PGk6n6Z3MGiMpKfj3uZoROAo0MNoI-5M84suc4XfyME