Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 645399 times)

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2008, 01:53 PM »

Dark Knight Producer On Ledger's Death
Posted by Ashish on 01.25.2008

http://www.411mania.com/movies/news/67771/%5BMovies%5D-Dark-Knight-Producer-On-Ledger%5C%5Cs-Death.htm

"I just want to say one thing about Heath Ledger and that'll just sort of sum up everything I want to say about it. He was a good friend of mine both personally and professionally. We did two films together, one of which is The Dark Knight, and he was really a great guy and an incredibly brilliant actor. Wherever he is in the universe right now, I hope he's happy."

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:09 PM »

In short time, Ledger had a lasting impact
Dead at 28, actor was never content to take the safe career road

Friday, January 25, 2008 12:03 PM CST

http://www.morrisdailyherald.com/articles/2008/01/25/detour/44ledger.txt

Tribute from Dann Gire, president of the Chicago Film Critics Association:

Ledger was a rare and still untapped asset to the movies, and we are all the poorer for his passing.

And the author of the said article agrees beautifully:

I agree. He was truly ahead of his times, a Brando-esque role model to his generation of actors. Ledger personified a sect of young actors who weren't afraid to let it all out, emotionally and physically, for the better of future generations of actors who can look back and learn about a young man, taken ever so soon, who was fearless and uncontained.

Ledger's ability was no laughing matter, and, as much as we've lost, he helped us gain a sense of acting pride and bravery that will be felt forever.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:33 PM »

A beautiful appreciation of Heath, from the LA Times.  Exquisitely written.  One of the best I have read so far...

AN APPRECIATION
Heath Ledger, vulnerable male

By Reed Johnson, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
January 24, 2008

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-heath24jan24,0,7037712.story

Quotes:

COURAGEOUS: In his films, Heath Ledger wrestled, painfully and often very movingly, with trying to reconcile the competing claims on a man.

The actor redefined what it means to be masculine

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:44 PM »

From Theresa's Memorial Blog. 

http://heathledgermemorialblog.blogspot.com/

I am writing mine now...

--------------------------------

Leave Your Condolences Directly To The Family Via The Funeral Home At The Link Below

If you wish to leave your condolences to the Ledger family, you may do so at the condolences link for the Campbell Funeral Home. At the appropriate time the messages will be given to the family. The link is below:

http://www.frankecampbell.com/condolences.asp

babytammy7

« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:47 PM »
In short time, Ledger had a lasting impact
Dead at 28, actor was never content to take the safe career road

Friday, January 25, 2008 12:03 PM CST

http://www.morrisdailyherald.com/articles/2008/01/25/detour/44ledger.txt

Tribute from Dann Gire, president of the Chicago Film Critics Association:

Ledger was a rare and still untapped asset to the movies, and we are all the poorer for his passing.

And the author of the said article agrees beautifully:

I agree. He was truly ahead of his times, a Brando-esque role model to his generation of actors. Ledger personified a sect of young actors who weren't afraid to let it all out, emotionally and physically, for the better of future generations of actors who can look back and learn about a young man, taken ever so soon, who was fearless and uncontained.

Ledger's ability was no laughing matter, and, as much as we've lost, he helped us gain a sense of acting pride and bravery that will be felt forever.

A beautiful appreciation of Heath, from the LA Times.  Exquisitely written.  One of the best I have read so far...

AN APPRECIATION

January 24, 2008

Quotes:

COURAGEOUS: In his films, Heath Ledger wrestled, painfully and often very movingly, with trying to reconcile the competing claims on a man.

So beautiful Thomas. Thank you so much for this.

Offline jacks_key

• Jack + Ennis
  • We'll always have Brokeback...
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2008, 03:13 PM »

Leave Your Condolences Directly To The Family Via The Funeral Home At The Link Below

If you wish to leave your condolences to the Ledger family, you may do so at the condolences link for the Campbell Funeral Home. At the appropriate time the messages will be given to the family. The link is below:

I have sent my condolences.  My heart breaks for them.
Heath Ledger: 1979-2008
Never enough time, never enough.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2008, 06:49 PM »

Heath Ledger's Death: Awards Shows Struggling With How To Pay Tribute

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1580366/story.jhtml

Excerpt:

"Something's gonna be done," a representative for the Independent Spirit Awards, who did not want to be named, told MTV News. "We just don't yet know what."

A previous ISA Best Male Lead nominee for "Brokeback Mountain," Ledger was slated to receive the Robert Altman Award with director Todd Haynes and the cast of "I'm Not There," a film in which Ledger was one of six actors to play the role of Bob Dylan. The 28-year-old actor was to be among the very first recipients of the award, named last year in honor of director Robert Altman.

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:29 PM »
   Tpe, or anybody who would know, was it just enough to fill out the information and message, or were we supposed to wait on-line?
The screen said it was submitted, and to wait to be contacted, and I supposed that meant by e-mail.  Or are we supposed to wait for
an additional screen or on-line message?  Anybody know?

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:37 PM »
   Tpe, or anybody who would know, was it just enough to fill out the information and message, or were we supposed to wait on-line?
The screen said it was submitted, and to wait to be contacted, and I supposed that meant by e-mail.  Or are we supposed to wait for
an additional screen or on-line message?  Anybody know?

Do you mean the funeral home link?
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline jacks_key

• Jack + Ennis
  • We'll always have Brokeback...
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:50 PM »
Heath Ledger's Death: Awards Shows Struggling With How To Pay Tribute

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1580366/story.jhtml

Excerpt:

"Something's gonna be done," a representative for the Independent Spirit Awards, who did not want to be named, told MTV News. "We just don't yet know what."

A previous ISA Best Male Lead nominee for "Brokeback Mountain," Ledger was slated to receive the Robert Altman Award with director Todd Haynes and the cast of "I'm Not There," a film in which Ledger was one of six actors to play the role of Bob Dylan. The 28-year-old actor was to be among the very first recipients of the award, named last year in honor of director Robert Altman.

Oh my goodness...I'm not going to be able to watch any of those shows, seeing Heath being mentioned with the others who have passed away.  I couldn't bear it.
Heath Ledger: 1979-2008
Never enough time, never enough.

Offline jeffreymarc85

• Cassie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:58 PM »
"You dreamed your dreams and lived them with passion and intelligent commitment. We have been priviledged to accompany you on a ride through life that has simply been amazing and through it all, we have loved each other beyond imagination.

Ledger's father Kim added: "Heatho'', "Beef'', . . . my beautiful boy, so loving, so talented, so independent, so caring, so young . . . no more chess games mate . . . this is it, couldn't beat you anyway!

"My body aches for the sound of your voice, our chats, our laughs and our life and times together.

We were one, in soul and commitment. Just . . . Father and Son. I will love you forever, Dad.''

Elder sister Kate wrote: "I can hardly breathe when I try to write this . . . we were the ultimate in soul mates. I feel both my heart and life have been torn apart. I loved our special talks, our daily chats from where ever you were in the world.

"I especially loved all the precious time we spent together. We were so fortunate to have you as long as we did. You were so many things to so many people, but to me you were just my little brother.

"There will never, ever be another "Heath'' and I think that in itself is the greatest tragedy.

"I will continue to talk with you everyday and love you just as if you were here. You will never leave my thoughts "Roast'', ever.''

Oh my.... :\'(  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(  This is just heartbreaking. I'm crying so bad reading this. Heath's family pain must be just unbearable. My heart aches for them.

I'm so thankful for the posting of tributes by the Ledger Family. I didn't realize how much they appreciated, respected and deeply loved him. It's obvious that they knew what a unique and gifted person he was. They knew him first before the rest of us ever heard of him. I feel so much better that he came from such a loving and supportive family. I also feel that they know how best to care for him at the end of his life as they did throughout his life. This whole thread has brought me peace.

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:27 PM »
   Chameau, yes.  Do you know?

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #42 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:39 PM »
   Chameau, yes.  Do you know?

The only mandatory fields are your message and your name.  Your mailing and Email addresses are optional.  I filled them all but to be honnest, I don't expect any reply at all.  They'll be bombed with messages and I'm afraid the usual trolls will send their usual insanities too.  It might take them a lot of time to sort everything.

Just don't hold your breath and don't be disapointed, I made it for his family, daughter & friends & expect nothing in return.

If I ever get anything, I will post it for sure.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:45 PM »
  Chameau-thanks very much. I don't expect anything back either, but, like you, wanted to let them know how much he was loved. Thanks again,
and thanks also for being a part of giving us all a place to be together.  Especially, now.

Offline JT

• Jack + Ennis
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:56 PM »

From Theresa's Memorial Blog. 

http://heathledgermemorialblog.blogspot.com/

I am writing mine now...

--------------------------------

Thanks, Thomas.  I sent mine just now.

Offline JT

• Jack + Ennis
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 26, 2008, 12:01 AM »
I still can't believe he's gone. This all still so raw. Reading all the remembrances and tributes are so heartwarming , to know that he was so well loved all over the world, especially the ones from his family.  :\'( :(

God, I'm so in tears right now. Don't know if and when it will get any better, but I do own all of his films so this weekend in honor of him, I will  draw the drapes, unplug the phone , and watch each one consecutively. This will be my "lost weekend" in tribute to his great work. There is no doubt more tears will fall over his death, but he will live on in the wonderful  characters and work he left behind. This weekend , he will live once again  and forever in my heart.  Thank You Heath .Love and miss you. Rest in peace.

I feel that way too, aintfoolin.  Sometimes I still can't believe he gone, but we have to accept the fact.  He is our angel now.  Rest in peace, our sweet Heath.

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #46 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:59 AM »
Thank you for a place to post news information, however, I will be careful what I say and post only MY opinions, not hearsay or gossip.

At Yahoo.com there is an article about The Dark Knight being released. I will post the link at the end of my post. When you go to the link click on the bottom where it says "comments" and you can read what people are saying about releasing the film. I almost couldn't do it but after a few hours I finally got the "guts" (so to speak) to watch the trailer. It gave me a stomachache and then a glass of wine was next. The voice of the Joker does not even sound like Heath. It's difficult to determine from watching the trailer what the movie will be like but I got the distinct impression that this is not the type of role that Heath would accept. It is MY opinion that maybe Heath did not realize how sinister and dark this role would be; and we all know how it affected him. Maybe once he got into the role he realized what he had to do and in true Heath fashion he gave it all he had considering what was required even though (maybe) he realized he got himself into something that he was not that happy about.

I will never, ever watch this film because this is not the Heath I want to remember. Anyway, all the info and links to everything, the trailer, comments, etc are here:

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/87285/the-fate-of-the-dark-knight

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #47 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:52 AM »
    CoraJack--I feel fairly close to the same--I may not see the film.  He did intend to play the role on a darker level--I've read that he made
that choice in 5 seconds, and then found everyone else was in agreement.  Still, believing you can do it as a role, and not be affected, is one
thing;  what happens later is another.  He has said he never had more fun in his life, and yet prop people and extras said he just sat there, numbly,
between scenes.  Part of that may have been exhaustion.  Strange as it sounds, the opposites can both be true.
   But, like you, I may just avoid this one, at least for awhile.  He did an excellent job, it will be a great movie, but the timing, for me, is bad.

Offline aintfoolin

• Ennis
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
« Reply #48 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:34 AM »
Thank you for a place to post news information, however, I will be careful what I say and post only MY opinions, not hearsay or gossip.

At Yahoo.com there is an article about The Dark Knight being released. I will post the link at the end of my post. When you go to the link click on the bottom where it says "comments" and you can read what people are saying about releasing the film. I almost couldn't do it but after a few hours I finally got the "guts" (so to speak) to watch the trailer. It gave me a stomachache and then a glass of wine was next. The voice of the Joker does not even sound like Heath. It's difficult to determine from watching the trailer what the movie will be like but I got the distinct impression that this is not the type of role that Heath would accept. It is MY opinion that maybe Heath did not realize how sinister and dark this role would be; and we all know how it affected him. Maybe once he got into the role he realized what he had to do and in true Heath fashion he gave it all he had considering what was required even though (maybe) he realized he got himself into something that he was not that happy about.

I will never, ever watch this film because this is not the Heath I want to remember. Anyway, all the info and links to everything, the trailer, comments, etc are here:

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/87285/the-fate-of-the-dark-knight

As I very much respect your views on this matter at this sad time, I feel as with  any great actor Heath made the  choice to make the role his own. When I first heard that he was going to play the role of the Joker, I knew he  was going to leave his personal stamp on it even though the role of "Joker"  has been done before by others. It was his vision of the character as in his unforgettable portrayal of Ennis. This is not his first dark sinister role he's gravitated toward and I feel he chose them conciously and carefully. ( see Monster's ball, and the Order) I believe he did the research before taking it. I did not know him personally of course but he did invest the time away to complete it. News reports of personal conflicts I feel contributed to the  stress and anxiety in his young life. I hate the speculation, but underneath all the makeup and theatrical stuff there was a down to earth, sweet ,shy,gentle soul , Heath A. Ledger, the man.  Therefore , I for one am waitng to see this film. I feel he would have wanted people to see his work and appreciate his sacrifice. As for his death, I am truly saddened and will leave it's cause for the proper authority's to sort  out, but I am of the belief that Heath could seperate the man from the character and show his fans believable talent as an actor.

I will be front and center to see this film.  Respectfully, Thanx.
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline zelinda

• Cassie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 26, 2008, 12:31 PM »
I just found this:
***edited by moderator***
it's a memorial site including a forum and a section for messages to Heath and family.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2008, 03:09 PM by chameau »

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #50 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:04 PM »
  Zelinda, could you check again, please?  Searching with what you posted, on Yahoo, only brings up Perez Hilton, which is pretty gross.
Maybe Yahoo hasn't gotten it listed yet.  What search engine did you use?

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #51 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:16 PM »
Guys, please make sure you post in the proper threads, we have a thread concerning the Dark Knight, related links and comments should be posted there:

Heath THE Joker
http://ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=5723.msg205345#msg205345

Finaly, please don't post links to webpages and magazines known for their gossip, they could be edited.

Thanks Brokies!
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline guyinjax

• musician
  • Lureen
  • Ennis Del Mar is my hero
Re: Heath Ledger - In Loving Memory
« Reply #52 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:14 PM »
Hey, fellow distraught Brokies...

I just found this at sandiego.com ... the city's newspaper, I think.

Willie Nelson's performance of "He Was a Friend of Mine" seems appropriate ...

UNION-TRIBUNE

January 25, 2008

Ennis Del Mar was a man of few words, but powerful passions.
It required an actor possessed of uncommon instinct and courage to bring to the screen the vulnerable and conflicted hero of Annie Proulx's short story, “Brokeback Mountain.”

Heath Ledger was that actor. Without emotional eruptions or cowboy clichés, he inhabited a character whose struggle with a profound love and loss – both beyond his comprehension – was unforgettable.
He died Tuesday at 28. Rarely has the announcement of the Academy Award nominations, made the same day, seemed so unimportant.

An internalizing actor whose film roles consistently defied the leading-man expectations assumed of him, Ledger chose to follow his conscience and his muse. Before “Brokeback,” for which he received an Oscar nomination in 2006, Ledger appeared in “Monster's Ball” and “Lords of Dogtown.” We saw him last year in Todd Haynes' out-there “I'm Not There.” For a movie star, he worked – and lived – about as quietly as did Ennis Del Mar.

How unfitting, then, that the hours following the discovery of Ledger's body in his New York apartment were consumed by a paparazzi-and Internet “media”-feeding frenzy. Among the worst offenders: TMZ.com, which boasts the stink of respectability because it has a TV show and because its managing editor, Harvey Levin, is a recurring talking head on “Today,” among other shows. The site may as well have changed its name to “All Heath All the Time,” updating viewers seemingly by the second with grainy photos and lurid tidbits like: “The People Who Found Heath,” “Jack (as in Nicholson) on Heath: I Warned Him!”, “How Heath's Body Was Discovered,” “Michelle Williams (Ledger's ex-fiance'e and the mother of their child) – Devastated,” and “Inside the Building Where Heath Died.”

There was more: Lindsey (as in Lohan) was distraught at Ledger's death. Ledger was not at the apartment of Mary-Kate Olsen. And photos, photos and more photos of Ledger's body being removed from the building.

TMZ was not alone in – I don't know any other way to say this – the fine art of ghoulish reporting. Culprits abounded – in both mainstream and tabloid coverage.

This isn't the first time we've seen this, and it won't be the last.

I just didn't expect Heath Ledger to be in the middle. Silly, naive me.

Sorry me, too. Sorry for a child named Matilda, now without a father. Sorry for those who read and watch and listen, who deserve better. Sorry for those whom I must accept, like it or not, are my colleagues in the media.

Sorry, most of all, for Heath Ledger, who deserved at least as much dignity as he gave Ennis Del Mar.

Ennis Del Mar is my hero!

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #53 on: Jan 26, 2008, 05:51 PM »
People magazine has reconstructed the last day of Heath, but I personally feel that Heath would not have appreciated being followed around that way.  So I am not posting a link to the article, except to say that those of you who are interested can read it yourselves.

But I would like to quote here a testimony of one of the employees at the grocery Heath visited Monday evening.  It speaks volumes of the simplicity of the man and his aversion to fame:

"He had three bags of groceries, mainly produce like fruits and vegetables. I remember he had organic chicken sausages," says catering sales manager Liz Bullis, 22. "He packed his own groceries. About half of our customers help out like that. He was always very friendly and pretty quiet."

From People Magazine, Heath Ledger's Final Days

The issue they put out on stands on Friday doesn't have this.  They got it out like the next day.  Maybe there are two editions, or there is the on-line version.  Anyway...not that I need to know everything he did, but I do like hearing from people around town there who knew him.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #54 on: Jan 26, 2008, 05:57 PM »

AN APPRECIATION

January 24, 2008

Quotes:

I really loved this article, too, Thomas, which I read on Theresa's blog.  I think of young men like Heath, and it makes me feel there is hope for the world...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #55 on: Jan 26, 2008, 06:06 PM »
As I very much respect your views on this matter at this sad time, I feel as with  any great actor Heath made the  choice to make the role his own. When I first heard that he was going to play the role of the Joker, I knew he  was going to leave his personal stamp on it even though the role of "Joker"  has been done before by others. It was his vision of the character as in his unforgettable portrayal of Ennis. This is not his first dark sinister role he's gravitated toward and I feel he chose them conciously and carefully. ( see Monster's ball, and the Order) I believe he did the research before taking it. I did not know him personally of course but he did invest the time away to complete it. News reports of personal conflicts I feel contributed to the  stress and anxiety in his young life. I hate the speculation, but underneath all the makeup and theatrical stuff there was a down to earth, sweet ,shy,gentle soul , Heath A. Ledger, the man.  Therefore , I for one am waitng to see this film. I feel he would have wanted people to see his work and appreciate his sacrifice. As for his death, I am truly saddened and will leave it's cause for the proper authority's to sort  out, but I am of the belief that Heath could seperate the man from the character and show his fans believable talent as an actor.

I will be front and center to see this film.  Respectfully, Thanx.

I want to see this movie, though it will be painful.  My main problem is that I don't want it to be Heath's last film.  I mean, not the role I want to remember him by.  Though I have no doubt it is an amazing performance.  Anyway, that's why I'm really glad there will still be his parts, presumably, in The Imaginarium.

kathy

Offline zelinda

• Cassie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 26, 2008, 08:26 PM »
  Zelinda, could you check again, please?  Searching with what you posted, on Yahoo, only brings up Perez Hilton, which is pretty gross.
Maybe Yahoo hasn't gotten it listed yet.  What search engine did you use?
I'm sorry, I thought the link was fine!! I found it on a livejournal community and it wasn't a gossip page or anything, just a memorial site.  Something must have gone wrong.

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #57 on: Jan 26, 2008, 08:35 PM »
  Not to worry--no harm done.  Be sure to note what Chameau said, if you find anything that proves OK.  Thanks for trying.

Offline LuvHeath4ever

• Alma Jr.
  • a.k.a. Beans1030
« Reply #58 on: Jan 26, 2008, 10:16 PM »
Has there been any mention of a statement by Jake Gyllenhaal?  I've been following the news (and so-called news) and haven't heard anything.  :-\\
R.I.P. Heath 1979-2008
"What we got now, is Brokeback Mountain"

Offline masetane

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #59 on: Jan 26, 2008, 10:28 PM »
I know it's private but i admit to being curious.  what do you suppose the funeral plans are in LA?