Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 645395 times)

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #90 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:00 AM »
 January 27, 2008, 10:03 pm
Aiming Point
Daniel Day-LewisDaniel Day-Lewis accepts his award for “There Will Be Blood.” (Evan Agostini/Associated Press)

In the least surprising win of the night, Daniel Day-Lewis was named the best leading actor in a dramatic role. He was halting, smashing and effecting in receiving the award. Instead of merely saying he was humbled, he clearly demonstrated. “It has always been the work of my fellow actors, including my fellow nominees, who have given me a sense of regeneration.”

“Heath Ledger gave it to me,” he said. “We wanted to follow him and yet we were afraid to follow him.”

“In Brokeback Mountain, he was unique. He was perfect. The scene in the trailer at the end of the movie was as moving as anything we have ever seen. I’d like to dedicate this award to him.”

http://ennisjack.com/index.php?action=post;msg=677361;topic=12695.60;sesc=ef7f399131f58932060043fae9c66865
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2008, 04:12 AM by hpv »
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #91 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:09 AM »
Heath Ledger Remembered at SAG Awards

Outstanding Male Performance winner Daniel Day-Lewis dedicated his trophy to Heath, who was  found dead in his New York apartment on Tuesday, telling the crowd, "It's always been the work of other actors... that's given me that sense of regeneration. Heath Ledger gave it to me." He then went on to praise Heath's work in Monster's Ball ("unique") and Brokeback Mountain, saying, " He was perfect. And that scene in the trailer in the end of the film is as moving as anything I think I've ever ever seen."

Nominee Ryan Gosling and his sister Mandy wore black ribbons in honor of Heath. "Mandy made them for Heath," Ryan said on the red carpet, adding later, "I admired him a lot."

And in the evening's official In Memoriam video tribute, Heath's image was the last one seen. As the clip's soundtrack faded out, the audience applauded the 28-year-old actor who still had so many great roles in front of him.
http://www.pagesix.com/story/heath+ledger+remembered+sag+awards
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #92 on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:51 AM »
From AwardsDaily.com:

ONTD has posted http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/19780184.html#cutid1 Daniel Day Lewis’ tribute to Heath Ledger in his acceptance speech, from the SAG site, they’ve also posted a link to a clip http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20168762_20174052,00.html:

This is extremely moving :\'( :\'(. I'll admire Daniel Day Lewis forever for doing it.

I'm just slowly catching up on this thread... thank you everybody for the links.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline Carefree Wind

• Lureen
  • Heath: A Bright Star That Shall Never Fade
"Now you will not swell the rout, Of lads that wore their honours out, Runners whom renown outran, And the name died before the man."

Jack, in his dark camp, lit only by moonlight, sees Ennis as night fire, a red spark on the huge black mass of mountain

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #94 on: Jan 28, 2008, 07:07 AM »
Today I must be a little masochist,because not only did I see the beautiful video by Orangetruck in homage to Heath;I've just seen Daniel Day-Lewis words as tribute to his fellow...The second time I'm able to listen,see or read this kind of stuff these days¡As I imagined,I've begun to cry,but it doesn't matter...The most important thing is that DDL is not only a good actor,but a better,a wonderful,fellow and man.Seeing him so touched by Heath's death is touching also for anybody who has a heart inside...I propose to send him a letter of congratulation and friendship from the forum for his loyalty to a companion. :ghug:
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #95 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:27 AM »
Froggy alluded to Nolan's tribute in the Memorial thread.

I have a link to the full tribute, but it is posted in an unacceptable location, so I will try to find another link to it.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23124810-5001021,00.html

How Heath skated into hearts
January 29, 2008 12:00am

Excerpts:

CHRISTOPHER Nolan, who directed Heath Ledger as the Joker in the new Batman film, The Dark Knight, has written a moving tribute to the departed Australian actor.

"That’s real charisma—as invisible and natural as gravity. That’s what Heath had."

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #96 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:35 AM »
that is an amazing tribute to Heath.  Heartfelt and moving.
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #97 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:38 AM »
that is an amazing tribute to Heath.  Heartfelt and moving.

Oh Christie, it reduced me to tears.

Offline freetraveller

• Alma
« Reply #98 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:49 AM »
What an incredible tribute. What a wonderful thing for DDL to do.  It was such a moving speech.   :\'( :\'(  But all so so true.

I couldn't agree more, Christie and others...
DDL is also very similar to Heath in many ways: an actor's actor, totally devoted to his craft, choosing challenging roles (think of DDL's miracle performance in My Left Foot), not chasing glamour or fame or money for its own sake, a very private and restrained individual...
and now my respect for him couldn't be higher...

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #99 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:01 AM »
An article written by Chris Nolan for Newsweek:

Charisma As Natural As Gravity
By Christopher Nolan

Thank you so much yb for posting this.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #100 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:52 AM »

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2247439,00.html

Philip French: 'He was a delight'

Our chief film critic reflects on Heath Ledger's career

Philip French
Sunday January 27, 2008
The Observer

The visit to the home of his dead lover's parents, where he silently inspects Jack's old bedroom, is among the most poignant, delicately understated sequences in movie history.

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2008, 11:13 AM by tpe »

Offline jacks_key

• Jack + Ennis
  • We'll always have Brokeback...
« Reply #101 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:14 AM »
Michelle's sorrow for Heath
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,23119658-948,00.html

God, my heart breaks for her, and the little girl who will never know her daddy... :\'(
Heath Ledger: 1979-2008
Never enough time, never enough.

Offline believer

• Alma
« Reply #102 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:38 AM »
I loved that Chris Nolan piece.  It gives such insight into Heath as a man and confirms all the things I think about him.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #103 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:42 AM »
I loved that Chris Nolan piece.  It gives such insight into Heath as a man and confirms all the things I think about him.

This is exactly how I felt.

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #104 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Not sure if this was posted before, but here're a couple of articles that mention Jake's grief.  I found the links from his official jakegyllenhaal.com site.  Jake's site also linked to the article about FoxNews Radio John Gibson mocking Heath's death.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23105747-5001021,00.html?from=public_rss
http://www.pagesix.com/celebrities/Jake+Gyllenhaal

Offline Iswear...

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #105 on: Jan 28, 2008, 01:40 PM »
Heath Ledger: The death of an innocent?

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/25/ledger.drugs/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN) -- As depressing as it may seem, it is not an unusual story. A young, talented actor who seems to have the world at their feet is discovered dead from an apparent overdose.

The deaths of stars such as Marilyn Monroe and John Belushi were mourned throughout the film industry and sent shockwaves across world, but they were, in a sense, part of a hedonistic tradition.

Neither of these past stars were strangers to the drugs that killed them, nor to the lifestyle that went with that substance abuse -- Monroe was known for attending wild parties with the Rat Pack and Belushi regularly hit the headlines with his drug use.

But the discovery of Australian actor Heath Ledger dead in his New York apartment, Tuesday, has come as a major shock to people across the world.

His career was reaching new heights in the years up to his death -- most notably a best actor nomination at the Oscars for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in Brokeback Mountain in 2005 -- and he had made a positive step into the A-list, playing The Joker in the latest installment in the regenerated Batman franchise.

Dying at the peak of your fame is not unusual: Belushi was lined up to follow successes in "Animal House" and "The Blues Brothers" with a starring role in "Ghostbusters"; Monroe was planning to star alongside Dean Martin, Jack Lemmon and Frank Sinatra in future projects; and River Phoenix was following up his own Oscar nomination with roles in hard-hitting, mature films such as "The Basketball Diaries."

So why are we so surprised? He follows in a long tradition of celebrities crashing under the pressure of the spotlight -- save for one major difference: he wasn't known as an outgoing party-boy. As Howard Bragman, founder of the Fifteen Minutes PR agency said on CNN, "Nobody saw this coming."

He went on: "There's probably 25 or 50 people you could name if this happened to (them), including Brad Renfro, you'd say 'Well, that was an accident waiting to happen.'"

Renfro, who was found dead at the age of 25 in his Los Angeles apartment one week before Ledger's death, had suffered a decline in his career after initial success as a child actor. He had struggled with alcohol and drug abuse. But his story hasn't captured the same international media attention as Ledger's.

Although they are not the easiest comparison, since Renfro had had less attention in the preceding years, it may be that his lifestyle off-screen made his untimely death less of a shock to the public.

Figures like Britney Spears and Amy Winehouse are closest to perpetuating the image of self-destructive hedonism that characters like John Belushi embodied. It is hard to predict the reaction of a celebrity's death, but it seems likely that if a modern hell-raiser died there would be at least one section of society suggesting that it was always on the cards.

The bottom line is, Ledger doesn't fit into the same category as any of these people. He was a quiet, well-respected man, who was the father of a two-year-old girl, Matilda, by his long-term partner Michelle Williams. The pair split late 2007.

The shock that this has inspired seems to be a combination of his youth; his sensitivity in the roles he has chosen and the way he has brought them to life; and the fact that he seemed to live a largely vice-free existence, away from the headline grabbing exploits of Spears and Winehouse.

Heath Ledger was a star on the way up, his touching performance in "Brokeback Mountain" demonstrated his immense maturity as an actor, and his death has robbed us of a great talent.

And, although there seems to be a long list of actors who have died young in drug-related incidents, this has left much of the world feeling that it isn't fair, simply because he seemed to do nothing to deserve his sudden and untimely death.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So true, it is totally unfair, I feel so angry and sad  :\'(

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
Re: Heath Ledger - In Loving Memory
« Reply #106 on: Jan 28, 2008, 02:17 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/01/27/entertainment/e200512S50.DTL&tsp=1&type=entertainment

Daniel Day Lewis dedicated his screen actors award to Heath, called his scene in the trailor
in Brokeback perfect.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #107 on: Jan 28, 2008, 02:31 PM »
John Gibson's (FoxNews Radio) feeble attempt at an apology:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325371,00.html

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #108 on: Jan 28, 2008, 02:49 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23120116-5015791,00.html

Cate Blanchett tribute to Heath Ledger
January 28, 2008 12:00am

"I'd like to pay special tribute to Heath Ledger who I think was an extraordinary actor and was well on his way to being a master himself," she said.

"We will all miss you enormously."

Offline masetane

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #109 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:01 PM »
Goodness - this sends me into a sweat. They are reporting in the paramedics log that Heath's body was recorded as still warm. Well his torso specifically.  So they are saying that he could have died within 20 minutes of them arriving.  Which means, nearly 10 were spent calling Mary Kate Olsen. (australian news)

I have to stop reading b.c. somewhere else I read that they noticed his jaw had morbi ridigity (something like that) which means he passed about 3 hours prior.

Not that any of this matters in the long run but I pay attention b.c I can't help but think, did he have a chance at being saved then?????

babytammy7

« Reply #110 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:47 PM »
John Gibson's (FoxNews Radio) feeble attempt at an apology:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325371,00.html

It's not so much but at least he said I'm sorry, and now I feel a little bit better after all the crying and pain and anger I had after listening to his previous words.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008, 04:03 PM by Baby Tammy »

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #111 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:59 PM »
It's not so much but at least he said I'm sorry, and now I feel I little bit better after all the crying and pain and anger I had after listening to his previous words.

I'm glad you're feeling better now, BT.  I have a sneaky suspicion that he made that statement because of the pressure from the outpouring of emails that was sent to him and the executives at FN  (better known as Fake News)

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #112 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:27 PM »
Does anyone have any vid links to DDL's backstage comments and/or Ryan Gosling's lovely tribute to Heath?  Thanks. x

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #113 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:31 PM »
Does anyone have any vid links to DDL's backstage comments and/or Ryan Gosling's lovely tribute to Heath?  Thanks. x

Ryan Gosling:

I mentioned yesterday that Ryan Gosling talked about Heath on the red carpet.  I thought it was very sweet.  Here's the video if anyone cares to watch:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1378342403?bclid=1326153012&bctid=1392526755

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ennis for Mr Brokeback 2007!!!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592)

Heath, I swear ...

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #115 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:40 PM »
Thanks Froggy. xx And believer for posting it originally.   ^f^

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #116 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:42 PM »
DAniel Day Lewis backstage

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dxNOxOKB9oM

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Heath, I swear ...

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #117 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:51 PM »
Ryan Gosling

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1378342403?bclid=1326153012&bctid=1392526755

Oh what a lovely thing for Ryan Gosling and his sister to do. That was very very moving, I thought. 

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #118 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:54 PM »
DAniel Day Lewis backstage

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dxNOxOKB9oM

Thanks Froggy.  DDL speaks for all of us I think.  xx

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #119 on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:02 PM »
He does indeed.

Heath, I swear ...