Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 646682 times)

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #120 on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:02 PM »

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_8087071?nclick_check=1

Redford reflects on Heath Ledger's death
By RYAN PEARSON AP Entertainment Writer
Article Launched: 01/26/2008 09:47:52 AM PST

"I just think he was one of those actors that was very, very special because he played so many different kinds of roles, and much of his work was more in the independent area," Redford said.

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #121 on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:58 PM »
I couldn't believe this when I read it in the Daily Mirror here in the UK today. Tony Parsons can be a bit brutal and this tribute from a straight columnist really moved me.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/columnists/parsons/2008/01/28/death-of-heath-ledger-broke-my-heart-89520-20301408/

Death of Heath Ledger broke my heart
Tony Parsons 28/01/2008

I have an amazing number of mates who have never seen Brokeback Mountain because it's "that movie about two gay cowboys". What they are missing is an almost perfect storm of talent.

Brokeback Mountain was directed by the great Ang Lee from a classic short story by Annie Proulx. It has an Oscar-winning screenplay by Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry (a great novelist himself and author of The Last Picture Show), and Jake Gyllenhaal will never be better than he was as rodeo cowboy Jack Twist.

Most of all, what my friends are missing is the portrayal of ranch hand Ennis Del Mar by Heath Ledger. A performance that ranks up there with Al Pacino in the first Godfather film, Robert de Niro in the second Godfather, Brando when he was young and thin, Montgomery Clift in From Here To Eternity, and James Dean in the three films he made before his early death.

Heath Ledger truly was as good as that, and nobody who has seen Brokeback Mountain could ever doubt it.

Heath Ledger had the kind of talent that only comes along once every 20 years and his death is a horrible waste.

It makes me laugh to read that the French trader who lost £3.6billion for Societe Generale was driven by two tragedies - splitting up with his wife and the death of his father.

Splitting up with someone is not a tragedy. Nor is burying a parent when you are in your 30s a tragedy. These are the knocks we all suffer in everyday life. Calling them tragedies is overkill.

Look at the faces of Heath Ledger's devastated parents - burying your child is a tragedy.

Think about Heath Ledger's two-year-old daughter Matilda - that little girl never knowing her father is a tragedy.

Heath Ledger was an incredible young actor with talent to burn. Losing him at the heartbreakingly early age of 28 is what a real tragedy looks like.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2008, 07:08 PM by chameau »
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #122 on: Jan 28, 2008, 06:10 PM »
Wow, Tom - that's quite a piece from Tony Parsons. Nice to see the Mirror printing something as touching as that - puts them well above the other tabloids.
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #123 on: Jan 28, 2008, 06:13 PM »
Wow, Tom - that's quite a piece from Tony Parsons. Nice to see the Mirror printing something as touching as that - puts them well above the other tabloids.

I know,

I usually like Tony Parsons anyway, but as I said he can be a bit scathing and it took my breath away to read the wonderful things he said about Heath. This is one of the nicest things I have read about this sad affair in the British press to date.
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #124 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:07 PM »
Ryan Gosling

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1378342403?bclid=1326153012&bctid=1392526755

That was so sweet of them. I agreed with what Ryan said about leaving Heath's family alone- Amen to that.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #125 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:40 PM »
This is long, but some beautiful insight into Heath as Ennis.

Eric Patterson is associate professor of American studies and American literature at Hobart and William Smith Colleges. He is the author of an upcoming book On Brokeback Mountain: Meditations about Masculinity, Fear, and Love in the Story and the Film.

kathy

http://rowmanblog.typepad.com/rowman/2008/01/elegy-for-heath.html
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline white_angel

• Alma
  • You're the only one for me, Heath Ledger
Re: Heath Ledger - In Loving Memory
« Reply #126 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:41 PM »
Heathbaby.com news

Melbourne artist Vincent Fantauzzo created the last painting of late actor HEATH LEDGER, just one day before he died.

The painting is so real!

http://www.heathbaby.com/k2news/example1.php?Action=Full&NewsID=612
Can't take my eyes off of you Heath.

Offline freetraveller

• Alma
« Reply #127 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:49 PM »
Thank you so much Kathy for that wonderful article by Patterson.
A lucid and impassionate analysis of Heath's performance in BBM if ever there was one.

Offline freetraveller

• Alma
« Reply #128 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:52 PM »
Apologies if it's been posted already...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/heath-ledger/softly-spoken-actor-promised-so-much/2008/01/25/1201157663318.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Neil Armfield - director of Candy - reflects on working with Heath.

Wonderful stuff.

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #129 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:53 PM »
Great article, Kathy

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #130 on: Jan 29, 2008, 12:06 AM »
Tom, thank you so much for this. I am grateful that Heath is loved and appreciated so much.  :\'( :ghug:

I couldn't believe this when I read it in the Daily Mirror here in the UK today. Tony Parsons can be a bit brutal and this tribute from a straight columnist really moved me.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/columnists/parsons/2008/01/28/death-of-heath-ledger-broke-my-heart-89520-20301408/

Tony Parsons 28/01/2008

I have an amazing number of mates who have never seen Brokeback Mountain because it's "that movie about two gay cowboys". What they are missing is an almost perfect storm of talent.

Brokeback Mountain was directed by the great Ang Lee from a classic short story by Annie Proulx. It has an Oscar-winning screenplay by Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry (a great novelist himself and author of The Last Picture Show), and Jake Gyllenhaal will never be better than he was as rodeo cowboy Jack Twist.

Most of all, what my friends are missing is the portrayal of ranch hand Ennis Del Mar by Heath Ledger. A performance that ranks up there with Al Pacino in the first Godfather film, Robert de Niro in the second Godfather, Brando when he was young and thin, Montgomery Clift in From Here To Eternity, and James Dean in the three films he made before his early death.

Heath Ledger truly was as good as that, and nobody who has seen Brokeback Mountain could ever doubt it.

Heath Ledger had the kind of talent that only comes along once every 20 years and his death is a horrible waste.

It makes me laugh to read that the French trader who lost £3.6billion for Societe Generale was driven by two tragedies - splitting up with his wife and the death of his father.

Splitting up with someone is not a tragedy. Nor is burying a parent when you are in your 30s a tragedy. These are the knocks we all suffer in everyday life. Calling them tragedies is overkill.

Look at the faces of Heath Ledger's devastated parents - burying your child is a tragedy.

Think about Heath Ledger's two-year-old daughter Matilda - that little girl never knowing her father is a tragedy.

Heath Ledger was an incredible young actor with talent to burn. Losing him at the heartbreakingly early age of 28 is what a real tragedy looks like.
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #131 on: Jan 29, 2008, 12:22 AM »
Apologies if it's been posted already...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/heath-ledger/softly-spoken-actor-promised-so-much/2008/01/25/1201157663318.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Neil Armfield - director of Candy - reflects on working with Heath.

Wonderful stuff.

Thank you freetraveller. I read most of the beginning at Therese's blog, but the last portion when Niel described what happened at the filming of Candy in Sydney, that made me seething mad, so angry!  Guy Finlay --- remember that vile name, brokies. He hated Heath and ruined a great creative moment on purpose, with a flash camera. Then he squirted Heath and Michelle at that infamous premiere in Synday, along with Peter Carette. These two should be ashamed of themselves. And Guy, if I hate anyone, it's this man.  ^^) ^^) ^^) How can ANYONE be so vindictive against a man like Heath?
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline Carefree Wind

• Lureen
  • Heath: A Bright Star That Shall Never Fade
« Reply #132 on: Jan 29, 2008, 02:22 AM »
This is just so wrong  >:(

Conman exploits Heath Ledger's friends
***edited by moderator***
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008, 02:24 AM by chameau »
"Now you will not swell the rout, Of lads that wore their honours out, Runners whom renown outran, And the name died before the man."

Jack, in his dark camp, lit only by moonlight, sees Ennis as night fire, a red spark on the huge black mass of mountain

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #133 on: Jan 29, 2008, 02:30 AM »
Please Brokies post here only articles with proved and confirmed facts as respect for Heath.

Otherwise links could be edited

*** In the love of Heath, his family and friends, please no gossip here

Just put yourselves in their place, huh?***

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008, 02:40 AM by chameau »
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #134 on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:58 AM »
Thanks for all the wonderful articles and tributes here. Just read the one from Tony Parsons, what a fantastic article, very heartfelt and moving.  No sensationalist journalism there, just speaking from the heart.
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #135 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:40 AM »

Heath Ledger internet tributes
January 29, 2008 12:00am

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23126701-5001026,00.html

Excerpt:

GRIEVING Fans have posted thousands of video tributes to Aussie actor heath Ledger on YouTube since his tragic death a week ago.

Within hours, web sites were created to remember Ledger and more than 6,000 video tributes to the actor sprang up on YouTube and other Internet video destinations.

His sad, untimely end triggered almost instantaneous reactions in the online media, social networks and just about anywhere users could post their thoughts and multimedia memorials.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #136 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:45 AM »

Celebrating Ledger
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
By Monica Haynes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Excerpts:

A public memorial service will be held for Heath Ledger next week in Los Angeles, according to World Entertainment Network News.

Asked why, Day-Lewis said, "I suppose that's all I've been thinking about for the last few days. I never met him. I thought he was beautiful. I just have a very strong feeling that I would have liked him very much as a man. ... I admired him very much."

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #137 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:50 AM »
This is a collection of TeenHollywood interviews with Heath:

Heath Ledger: We Look Back
Jan 28, 2008 - Lynn Barker

http://www.teenhollywood.com/d/168257/1038/heath-ledger-we-look-back.html
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008, 10:36 AM by tpe »

Offline jacks_key

• Jack + Ennis
  • We'll always have Brokeback...
« Reply #138 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:27 AM »

Eric Patterson is associate professor of American studies and American literature at Hobart and William Smith Colleges. He is the author of an upcoming book On Brokeback Mountain: Meditations about Masculinity, Fear, and Love in the Story and the Film.

kathy

What a wonderful tribute to the man and his (IMO) greatest role.  Thank you for that link!
Heath Ledger: 1979-2008
Never enough time, never enough.

Offline titabeille

• Any friend of yours is a friend of mine
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, I swear...
« Reply #139 on: Jan 29, 2008, 12:05 PM »

Excerpt:

GRIEVING Fans have posted thousands of video tributes to Aussie actor heath Ledger on YouTube since his tragic death a week ago.

Within hours, web sites were created to remember Ledger and more than 6,000 video tributes to the actor sprang up on YouTube and other Internet video destinations.

His sad, untimely end triggered almost instantaneous reactions in the online media, social networks and just about anywhere users could post their thoughts and multimedia memorials.

Thank you Thomas to keep us informed  O0
It could be like this, always like this....
Sometimes I miss you so much, I can't understand it.

As you get old you begin to wonder-
what was all that lightning and thunder
actually about ? (Gavin Ewart)

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #140 on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:02 PM »

Tony Parsons 28/01/2008
Wonderful article! That last paragraph is so painfully true,   ..... :\'(
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline trekfan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #141 on: Jan 29, 2008, 05:16 PM »

Excerpt:

A legend has died,  it is only fitting there is an outpouring of grief and despair and support

Linda
Aren't we at the stage these days when it just doesn't ... matter? It's a story of love and it's a story between two people. If people can't get over that and just accept it as a story, then that's their problem. I'm big enough and brave enough to do it. - Heath Ledger on doing BBM

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #142 on: Jan 29, 2008, 05:23 PM »

kathy

That's an incredible article. You know, maybe it's daft, but every time I read something like this - where someone says how important Brokeback, and in particular, Heath's performance in it was to them personally, for whatever reason - I just feel an enormous amount of pride in our boy. So many people pass through life without ever making a difference to anyone but Heath (along with Annie and Ang and Jake and the rest of course) achieved so much and made a difference to so many lives by telling this story. I hope one day articles like this one - and the love and comradeship fostered amongst those of us who were open to the story of Brokeback - will be of some comfort to Heath's family.
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #143 on: Jan 29, 2008, 05:33 PM »
That's an incredible article. You know, maybe it's daft, but every time I read something like this - where someone says how important Brokeback, and in particular, Heath's performance in it was to them personally, for whatever reason - I just feel an enormous amount of pride in our boy. So many people pass through life without ever making a difference to anyone but Heath (along with Annie and Ang and Jake and the rest of course) achieved so much and made a difference to so many lives by telling this story. I hope one day articles like this one - and the love and comradeship fostered amongst those of us who were open to the story of Brokeback - will be of some comfort to Heath's family.
I thought so too, how wonderful was his detailed description of Heath's performance on BBM!
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #144 on: Jan 29, 2008, 06:00 PM »

Remembering Heath Ledger
Young star's bright future was cut short
By Amy Friedman and Nilam Patel

http://www.roanoke.com/wb/148852

Show respect for his family

He touched many lives

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: Heath Ledger - In Loving Memory
« Reply #145 on: Jan 29, 2008, 06:11 PM »
Thank you very much for the update. I think this article is worth quoting, in particular. Thanks, guyinjax.

How unfitting, then, that the hours following the discovery of Ledger's body in his New York apartment were consumed by a paparazzi-and Internet “media”-feeding frenzy. Among the worst offenders: TMZ.com, which boasts the stink of respectability because it has a TV show and because its managing editor, Harvey Levin, is a recurring talking head on “Today,” among other shows. The site may as well have changed its name to “All Heath All the Time,” updating viewers seemingly by the second with grainy photos and lurid tidbits like: “The People Who Found Heath,” “Jack (as in Nicholson) on Heath: I Warned Him!”, “How Heath's Body Was Discovered,” “Michelle Williams (Ledger's ex-fiance'e and the mother of their child) – Devastated,” and “Inside the Building Where Heath Died.”

There was more: Lindsey (as in Lohan) was distraught at Ledger's death. Ledger was not at the apartment of Mary-Kate Olsen. And photos, photos and more photos of Ledger's body being removed from the building.

TMZ was not alone in – I don't know any other way to say this – the fine art of ghoulish reporting. Culprits abounded – in both mainstream and tabloid coverage.

This isn't the first time we've seen this, and it won't be the last.

I just didn't expect Heath Ledger to be in the middle. Silly, naive me.

Sorry me, too. Sorry for a child named Matilda, now without a father. Sorry for those who read and watch and listen, who deserve better. Sorry for those whom I must accept, like it or not, are my colleagues in the media.

Sorry, most of all, for Heath Ledger, who deserved at least as much dignity as he gave Ennis Del Mar.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline EthanFrome

• Cassie
« Reply #146 on: Jan 29, 2008, 09:16 PM »

*Edited 1/29/08*
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008, 10:12 PM by FlwrChild »

Offline EthanFrome

• Cassie
« Reply #147 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:32 PM »

I see no reason to edit my post. Some people might not even known of the subject matter. There is nothing wrong with discussion now though we may never know exactly what happened  even when we do receive the autopsy report.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #148 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:36 PM »
A similar post was already deleted from this thread and others. This forum does not allow speculation out of respect for all involved with BBM and their right to privacy. 
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline EthanFrome

• Cassie
« Reply #149 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:42 PM »
Why don't you want to discuss important issues? I have as much or more respect for this young man I imagine than either of many.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2008, 12:43 AM by chameau »