The Movie & Story > Oscars

Is Ellen payback to the gay community from the Academy Awards?

(1/5) > >>

scruffy:
After the tragic events that unfolded at last year's Academy Awards when Brokeback Mountain lost the top honour, many members of the gay community were outraged.  Gays and lesbians alike went as far to say that they would boycot the Academy Awards in future years.  No more Oscar Parties, no more Oscar pools at the office.

This year the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced to the world that Ellen DeGeneres will host the Awards show in 2007.  Ellen's sexual preference is well known, especially after the controvercial first lesbian kiss on her popular situation comedy several years ago.

I would like to ask the people of the Brokeback Mountain Forum what you think of this development. Did the Academy choose Ellen for her great work as a host on the Emmy Awards and other award shows?  Or is the Academy trying to send a message to the gay community that the Academy is not homophobic?   Is it a peace offering or a token gesture?  If you swore off the Acadamy Awards last year is it enough to bring you back next year?  Is it too little too late?

I'd be really interested to hear what people think.

ethan:
Hello scruffy, long time no see.

Interesing thread. I was one of those who swore off AS last year (gee..how time goes by). Personally, I don't care for AS anymore.

I did read the news that Ellen is going to host the show and some speculations of what you pointed out. I do hope it is not a peace offering or a token gesture. She should not be chosen because what happened to BBM. Ellen DeGeneres is deserving regardless who she is, just like BBM who should have won the best film regardless the subject.

I understand the world usually is not that simple. I for one, will not watch the Academy Award....sorry Ellen but I know you will do a great job.

Satin_Hephaestion:
Hi, i'm new here.

But i think Ellen is payback, i thought it when they first announced it. Its a little shameful IMO

FlwrChild:
On the other hand, she's done some hosting before. Her show is enormously popular. And she seems to have the kind of irreverant but respectful humor they might generally be looking for. I think in some ways it's just her turn. At the same time, I'm sure it's not entirely coincidental that this is the year they made her the offer. Did I just contradict myself? :s)

Satin_Hephaestion:
I'm happy she is hosting, and i didn't mean to come off as if i didn't. She is funny, and i hope she jokes about this whole thing at the show, that would be great ;)

What i'm stuck on is what movies will be nominated? But thats off topic :-X

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version