Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 645453 times)

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #960 on: Aug 10, 2008, 12:15 AM »
"Ledger drug investigation dropped"

News story from The West Australian, 7 August:

http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx?StoryName=503791

To quote Jack Twist: "For what it's worth"

You got that right.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #961 on: Aug 10, 2008, 12:21 AM »
Let be...let be...That is beautifully quoted, rlh03. I agree with you 100%. The lesson is simple and early on, prescription drugs are powerful and should be used only with extreme caution and respect for its misuse. If one teenager learns this lesson from Heath's tragic accident, then he had saved yet another life, and would be proud.  :ghug:

I know some young people who have really paid attention to this, have had a bit of a rude awakening because of Heath's situation.  I understand that prescription drugs are the drugs of choice for many young people these days, and I sure hope this will point out to them how careful one must be...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ynnaf

• Lureen
« Reply #962 on: Aug 11, 2008, 02:44 PM »
Sir Michael Caine: It was a privilege working with Heath Ledger
Actor pays tribute to his Batman co-star

Saturday, 9 August 2008

Sir Michael Caine says it was a pleasure to work with Heath Ledger on The Dark Knight.

The veteran actor, 75, heaped praise on the Australian star who died of a prescription drugs overdose in January at the age of 28.

‘What a talent,’ he tells Hello! ‘We’d sit on set, chatting for hours. Then he’d get up, drop being Heath, and go into this amazing performance.

‘I shall miss him – very much. And it was a privilege working with him, you can’t say that of some actors out there, believe me.’

The Dark Knight has broken box office records, taking £77.7million in its opening weekend.

And Heath’s portrayal of The Joker is being hailed as Oscar-worthy.

http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/celebrity-news/268444/sir-michael-caine-it-was-a-privilege-working-with-heath-ledger/1/

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #963 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:40 PM »
http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/celebrity-news/268444/sir-michael-caine-it-was-a-privilege-working-with-heath-ledger/1/

Thanks for this, Ynnaf. As usual, these words bring me to tears, and Sir Michael Caine's sincerity is absolutely moving.

And on the same page is this link, that really pushed my tears to the limit.

http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/celebrity-news/264875/heath-ledger-tipped-to-win-an-oscar-for-the-dark-knight/1/

quoting Peter Travers of Rolling Stones:

‘It's typical of Heath's total commitment to films as diverse as Brokeback Mountain and I'm Not There that he does nothing out of vanity or the need to be liked.

‘Heath's Joker has no grey areas — he's all rampaging id. He creates a Joker for the ages.

‘If there's a movement to get him the first posthumous Oscar since Peter Finch won for 1976's Network, sign me up.’
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #964 on: Aug 12, 2008, 08:34 PM »
Ledger bar to honour late actor
12th August 2008, 7:45 WST

A bar designed by Heath Ledger will open in New York.

The nautical-themed restaurant and bar, called BrightSide, is scheduled to begin operations in Brooklyn next month, according to reports in The Daily Telegraph newspaper in London today.

The Dark Knight star had invested in the bar with his friend and business partner Jud Mongell.

The venue's interior will contain features designed by Ledger, who  received posthumous critical acclaim for his depiction of the Joker in the latest Batman film. It will also contain personal references to him, including a chessboard engraved into one of the tables.

"Heath was a big chess player," Mr Mongell said in The Telegraph. "The whole idea was to make it a spot for us. We wanted to make it our own space to hang out."

Mr Mongell said the opening would be bittersweet without Ledger, who died in January at the age of 28 from an accidental prescription drug overdose.

"Heath was very, very into it. He drew the floor plans and thought of the name, BrightSide, because it's on the bright side of McCarren Park," Mr Mongell said.

John McCormick, who designed the bar, Ledger had also wanted a table large enough to accommodate his family.

"Heath specifically talked about having a place for him and his family to sit," said Mr McCormick.

"It was great working with Heath. He was the most unassuming guy."

LONDON
THE TELEGRAPH GROUP

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=22&ContentID=90706
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #965 on: Aug 13, 2008, 03:15 AM »
Ledger bar to honour late actor
12th August 2008, 7:45 WST

A bar designed by Heath Ledger will open in New York.

The nautical-themed restaurant and bar, called BrightSide, is scheduled to begin operations in Brooklyn next month, according to reports in The Daily Telegraph newspaper in London today.

The Dark Knight star had invested in the bar with his friend and business partner Jud Mongell.

The venue's interior will contain features designed by Ledger, who  received posthumous critical acclaim for his depiction of the Joker in the latest Batman film. It will also contain personal references to him, including a chessboard engraved into one of the tables.

"Heath was a big chess player," Mr Mongell said in The Telegraph. "The whole idea was to make it a spot for us. We wanted to make it our own space to hang out."

Mr Mongell said the opening would be bittersweet without Ledger, who died in January at the age of 28 from an accidental prescription drug overdose.

"Heath was very, very into it. He drew the floor plans and thought of the name, BrightSide, because it's on the bright side of McCarren Park," Mr Mongell said.

John McCormick, who designed the bar, Ledger had also wanted a table large enough to accommodate his family.

"Heath specifically talked about having a place for him and his family to sit," said Mr McCormick.

"It was great working with Heath. He was the most unassuming guy."

LONDON
THE TELEGRAPH GROUP

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=22&ContentID=90706

I love the idea of this and I'm so glad it's being brought to fruition despite Heath not being here to see the realisation of his dream.

But its bittersweet too, because he should be here, to see his family sat at that large table, and him sitting with them..... :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

I love the name though, it makes me smile...

"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #966 on: Aug 15, 2008, 04:01 PM »
This is a news article from last month, but I don't remember if it was posted here:

Ledger honoured with posthumous award

Heath Ledger's contribution to the Australian film industry is to be honoured with the 2008 Chauvel Award.

The posthumous award will be made at next month's Brisbane International Film Festival (BIFF), Queensland Arts Minister Rod Welford announced on Friday.

Ledger died in New York from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs in January.

Mr Welford said Ledger's friends and colleagues would be present for the award presentation on August 7.

"Over the years, there have been many others who have drawn focus to the Australian film industry, either through their own personal achievements in their field or their consistent and staunch support for Australian filmmaking," he said.

"Heath Ledger did both, and his passing highlighted how loved and revered he was, not just by fans but by the Australian film-making community."

Previous recipients of the award, named after filmmakers Charles and Elsa Chauvel, include director George Miller and actors Geoffrey Rush, Bryan Brown and Jack Thompson.

Hype is building for Ledger to receive a best supporting actor Oscar nomination following gushing reviews for his performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight, released this week.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/4805334/ledger-honoured-posthumous-award
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #967 on: Aug 18, 2008, 10:53 AM »
I started reading a biography about Heath. It's called "Heath Ledger, Hollywood's Dark Star" by Brian J, Robb. I don't like the title very much. But so far the author tends to stick to the facts (I'm just at the beginning though) and is using a lot of quotes, which is nice. I like reading things that Heath said, things I haven't read before, and things that his friends and family said about him. Here are some bits that I liked, and haven't known before.

Heath was very much into sports when he was at school, but there was a "secret" reason behind it. This is from the biography:

Despite his aptitude for hockey and swimming, Heath wouldn't pursue any physical activity just for the sake of it. He actually avoided joining the military cadet programme at Guildford Grammar School. 'You had to wear a uniform,' he later recalled in Vanity Fair. 'I didn't want to [prepare to] fight. I thought it was strange that they were teaching kids to shoot automatic weapons. If you didn't do it, they made you play sports. So I played a lot of field hockey, cricket and Australians-rules foodball. I played them all just to get out of cadets. Who wants to shoot an automatic rifle? What was I going to use that for?'

Kim Ledger about his son:

'Heath doesn't want to squash an ant. He worries about everything, from an insect dying onward. He's very soft inside. We're the only father and son I know who hug and roll around on the floor of the airport when we meet. We're huggy, touchy people.'

Offline Matt Nasty

• formerly zankou1991
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I LOVE JAKE
« Reply #968 on: Aug 18, 2008, 10:57 AM »
thanks for sharing that keren i think ill have to purchase that :), its really great to here the things like that!

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #969 on: Aug 18, 2008, 11:01 AM »
More from Heath's dad:

'Heath was an arty boy,' recalled Kim. 'He had some of his special abstract paintings pinned on the walls of his room and on the ceiling. We were lying back looking at the art on the ceiling, at about one O'clock in the morning. We'd been talking for about half an hour - we often talked like that - I finally told him he was going to have to get some sleep because he had school in the morning. He was about fourteen of fifteen. He said to me, "Well, Dad, you're going to have to get used to this, because this is what I'm going to be doing. I'm going to be very good at it. I'm really going to enjoy it." I always told him that he couldn't be good at anything unless he enjoyed it 150 per cent.'

bruxa23

« Reply #970 on: Aug 18, 2008, 11:10 AM »
Thank you Keren  :)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #971 on: Aug 18, 2008, 11:17 AM »
You're welcome. I like discovering these little things about him.

Heath about how his love for old movies and Gene Kelly in particular got him interested in acting:

'It all comes from my love of Kelly. I think he's just awesome. It was more or less the partnership between him and Judy Garland that I liked. There was something so magical about Gene Kelly's films. It was movie-making! They built those amazing sets! They danced and sang!'

About the reason for taking up modern dance:

...'to gain more control over my body. I did some dance courses mainly because when I started doing theatre I was really self-conscious of what my body was doing and where my hands were and what my feet were doing.'

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #972 on: Aug 18, 2008, 02:39 PM »
I love all these quotes Keren, but they just make so sad....I havent had the courage to open this book up yet. I want to though... :\'( :\'( :\'(

Offline Emzan

• Jack + Ennis
  • I Miss You My Beautiful Baby
« Reply #973 on: Aug 18, 2008, 02:46 PM »
Thanks for posting all the wonderful quotes Keren :^^) I'm getting my book tomorrow, but I think its another one then the one you have, I don't think it was called the same :s)
Nuke the EFF on!!

babytammy7

« Reply #974 on: Aug 18, 2008, 03:38 PM »
I started reading a biography about Heath. It's called "Heath Ledger, Hollywood's Dark Star" by Brian J, Robb. I don't like the title very much. But so far the author tends to stick to the facts (I'm just at the beginning though) and is using a lot of quotes, which is nice. I like reading things that Heath said, things I haven't read before, and things that his friends and family said about him. Here are some bits that I liked, and haven't known before.

Heath was very much into sports when he was at school, but there was a "secret" reason behind it. This is from the biography:

Despite his aptitude for hockey and swimming, Heath wouldn't pursue any physical activity just for the sake of it. He actually avoided joining the military cadet programme at Guildford Grammar School. 'You had to wear a uniform,' he later recalled in Vanity Fair. 'I didn't want to [prepare to] fight. I thought it was strange that they were teaching kids to shoot automatic weapons. If you didn't do it, they made you play sports. So I played a lot of field hockey, cricket and Australians-rules foodball. I played them all just to get out of cadets. Who wants to shoot an automatic rifle? What was I going to use that for?'

'Heath doesn't want to squash an ant. He worries about everything, from an insect dying onward. He's very soft inside. We're the only father and son I know who hug and roll around on the floor of the airport when we meet. We're huggy, touchy people.'

Thank you so so so very much for this, Keren!!  ^f^ I mean it.

I'm totally in love with what you quoted. Heath is, he is, I don't know, I don't find words. He's simply too much, too much for words, totally amazing, and great, and unique and special, a very very very beautiful kind soul, full of love, wanting peace, wanting light, wanting to make art, something gorgeous and different with his life. He is stunning, a treasure, the kind of men people fall in love with, humble and caring, just like a dream, someone with a big big big heart, someone who makes you feel just good, just the right way. How utterly unfair and cruel his death is!!! So many very bad people getting their stomach full right now and one delicious gentle loving human being lost forever. I can't stand it. It's not right. It hurts so much.
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2008, 04:38 PM by Baby Tammy »

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #975 on: Aug 18, 2008, 04:32 PM »

Thank you so so so very much for this, Keren!!  ^f^ I mean it.

I'm totally in love with what you quoted. Heath is, he is, I don't know, I don't find words. He's simply too much, too much for words, totally amazing, and great, and unique and special, a very very very beautiful kind soul, full of love, wanting peace, wanting light, wanting to make art, something gorgeous and different with his life. He is stunning, a treasure, the kind of men people fall in love with, humble and caring, just like a dream, someone with a big big big heart, someone who makes you feel just good, just the right way. How utterly unfair and cruel his death is!!! So many very bad people geeting their stomach full right now and one delicious gentle loving human being lost forever. I can't stand it. It's not right. It hurts so much.

I agree with everything you said Tammy, about Heath and how wonderful and unique he is and thats what makes it all so hard, so hard to deal with and understand..... :\'( :\'(

But I loved all the things you said about him......they were all so so true.... :\'( :\'(

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #976 on: Aug 18, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Actors give up earnings for Ledger's daughter

The actors who stepped in to finish the late Heath Ledger's last film have come to the rescue again, this time helping to guarantee his daughter Matilda's financial security.

Jude Law, Colin Farrell and Johnny Depp — who all played versions of Ledger's character Tim in The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus after his January death — have donated their earnings from the movie to Matilda.

Footage of Ledger will still be used in the film, which is set in London, while the portrayals from Law, Colin and Farrell will be employed when the story crosses into parallel worlds.

Director Terry Gilliam said the decision by the trio to step in after Ledger's death was "heroic".

"This doesn't happen very often ... where there's a tragedy like this, and very famous, very successful actors suddenly say, 'OK, we'll do whatever it takes to help'," he said.

"They came, they allowed the movie to be finished and they didn't take money — it goes to Heath's daughter.

"That's extraordinary and wonderful ... and we've got a movie full of wonderful people who did extraordinary things to help."

"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline jessicat80

• For every Jack, there's an
  • Ennis
  • until we meet again
« Reply #977 on: Aug 18, 2008, 10:39 PM »

I love all the quotes Keren, thank you :)

This one really got me, first I laughed because it reminded me of the fly that lands on his face during the confrontation scene in Brokeback, when he says, "all them things I don't know", I always thought it was interesting because most people would just have a natural instinct to slap their face and kill it, but I always felt he was so into the scene, he didn't even feel it; now I thought, maybe he just didn't believe in killing it.........

Then I read the part of him and his dad loving each other so much they rolled on the airport floor hugging...Oh my  :\'( :\'( :\'(

"I’d rather live in his world…..than live without him….in mine."                                       (Midnight Train to Georgia)

Offline Ranchand1

• Lureen
  • whut
« Reply #978 on: Aug 18, 2008, 11:27 PM »
     Heath seem to me.  One of those people.  That always knew.  Who they were.  Where they were going.  And why they were here.  The unique part is he did it all with love.  And that is why I believe we all love him.

"I doubt theres nothing now we can do"
huh..

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #979 on: Aug 19, 2008, 09:26 AM »
I'm sorry for making you all sad with the quotes, but I wanted to share them... Tammy, I agreed with every word you said! I was reading those quotes in the book and I thought, how amazing can this guy be? Can he be even more wonderful than I thought? And it makes me sad too, to realise again and again how huge the loss is, what a special, incredible human being we all lost here... but I still love learning all these little things about him.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #980 on: Aug 19, 2008, 09:42 AM »
I'm sorry for making you all sad with the quotes, but I wanted to share them... Tammy, I agreed with every word you said! I was reading those quotes in the book and I thought, how amazing can this guy be? Can he be even more wonderful than I thought? And it makes me sad too, to realise again and again how huge the loss is, what a special, incredible human being we all lost here... but I still love learning all these little things about him.

Oh me too Keren, as sad as it makes me feel, I still like learning all these things about him too... :)

Offline rlh03

• Lureen
  • Just keep on climbing Brokeback Mountain!
« Reply #981 on: Aug 19, 2008, 07:10 PM »
Box Office Mojo reported as of 08-18-2008 TKD worldwide $801,194,356.  :clap: If Heath was only here to see it.   :(  Perhaps I speak too soon from my heart. Heath sees it, never fear. :)

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #982 on: Aug 19, 2008, 07:58 PM »
Box Office Mojo reported as of 08-18-2008 TKD worldwide $801,194,356.  :clap: If Heath was only here to see it.   :(  Perhaps I speak too soon from my heart. Heath sees it, never fear. :)

If I remember correctly from one of his interviews, I believe Heath doesn't watch his own movies, and I think he would be gratified to see the outpouring of support for his amazing acting. The money would be good, too, seeing it would go to Matilda. I hope. Heath would be very happy to know that Matilda will start her life well off.

Offline sportstalk23

• Alma
  • E&J 4EVER
« Reply #983 on: Aug 20, 2008, 12:18 AM »

[/quote]

my heart really goes out to this family  :\'( no matter how big a loss Heath was to the world in general and to the acting community  it will never be as huge as a father/mother/sisters/baby daugther  who will never again get to roll around on an airport floor with him thats the biggest tragedy of all

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #984 on: Aug 20, 2008, 01:10 AM »

my heart really goes out to this family  :\'( no matter how big a loss Heath was to the world in general and to the acting community  it will never be as huge as a father/mother/sisters/baby daugther  who will never again get to roll around on an airport floor with him thats the biggest tragedy of all

So true, sportstalk.  As much as WE miss him, think about those truly close to him, family and friends...

kathy

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #985 on: Aug 20, 2008, 03:05 AM »

Yup. Sportstalk. I am with you 100% here.  :\'(  :ghug: I can't imagine what it must be like, to miss those long distance phone calls, those moments when good news of Heath appears on TV, in the newspapers, on billboards, the frequent visits. Heath was very close to his family. The close ties make his absence so much more felt than otherwise.

Offline jessicat80

• For every Jack, there's an
  • Ennis
  • until we meet again
« Reply #986 on: Aug 26, 2008, 03:21 PM »
Just got back from seeing 2 wonderful brokies, Chameau and Froggy, in Montreal Canada.

On the way there, I randomly got a magazine I haven't bought in years just to have something to read on the plane.

After buying it, this was what I found inside :\'(

This is just the top left corner of a 2 page spread. I can't post everything because it has a pap pic from the beach side memorial, and a pap pic of Heath, Michelle, and Matilda. It has other lovely photos too. But I had to post this one section because what it says is just so true.

"I’d rather live in his world…..than live without him….in mine."                                       (Midnight Train to Georgia)

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #987 on: Aug 26, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Just got back from seeing 2 wonderful brokies, Chameau and Froggy, in Montreal Canada.

On the way there, I randomly got a magazine I haven't bought in years just to have something to read on the plane.

After buying it, this was what I found inside :\'(

This is just the top left corner of a 2 page spread. I can't post everything because it has a pap pic from the beach side memorial, and a pap pic of Heath, Michelle, and Matilda. It has other lovely photos too. But I had to post this one section because what it says is just so true.

That's wonderful, Jessicat. I don't believe in coincidences, and obviously the Brokie meet continued with you onto the plane. I am glad you had good company, to keep your mind of the flight.
 :ghug: Thanks for sharing the pictures and article.

babytammy7

« Reply #988 on: Aug 27, 2008, 09:07 AM »
Oh thank you, thank you, Jess!!!  ^f^ I love that pic, I love that they talked about Heath and I agree with those words too: Heath sure didn't like the fame, he was too humble to like that. And I love him for that, because I feel him nearer to me because of that. He is not a super start untouchable and distant, he is just a normal guy wanting to create art, wanting to live happy, wanting to love and being love. That's so special and wonderful!!

Like Andrew, I don't believe in coincidences either...

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #989 on: Aug 27, 2008, 09:37 AM »
Thank you for posting it Jess... I wonder who this Garth Pearce is, and how did he know Heath. "Allergic to fame" is a good way to put it... he sure never liked the spotlights.