Author Topic: Something that surprised me re: First tent scene - Spoiler  (Read 42008 times)

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
Re: Something that surprised me re: First tent scene - Spoiler
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:55 PM »
Ang really only has one big cadence to work with in a 2 1/4 hour movie.

Jason, I read several professional critics where they both said the movie was more than two hours long.  You say the same thing.  Yet, when the movie played here, it was only one hour and thirty-four minutes long.

Where did you see it?  Was it in the United States?  I am beginning to wonder if there is a version out there for small town redneck cities like the one I live in.    ???

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline Kindred

• Lureen
« Reply #31 on: Jan 28, 2006, 12:00 AM »
The movie is 2 hours and 15 minutes.  I'm not sure why the version you saw was shortened.

Offline jason

• Lureen
« Reply #32 on: Jan 28, 2006, 12:51 AM »

Jason, I read several professional critics where they both said the movie was more than two hours long.  You say the same thing.  Yet, when the movie played here, it was only one hour and thirty-four minutes long.

Where did you see it?  Was it in the United States?  I am beginning to wonder if there is a version out there for small town redneck cities like the one I live in.    ???

Patriot, Kindred.  Hi.  It's so nice to talk about the movie, even if it's only about the durn length! 

I saw (see! -- I'm only up to my 6th viewing, or 5th) BBM in Houston, in these United States.  May I ask which rednecker town you're in?  I think you got cheated.  Maybe some movie house owner couldn't *stand* some of the scenes and dumbed it down a bit LOL... 

Just seen the Oprah interview today with Anne, Michelle, Heath and Jake.  Brought it all on again.  How sweeter they were than I thought they could be.  Did you hear Jake say that when shooting the movie began the four trailers got reduced to three early on when Heath and Michelle quickly paired off?  So in the mornings Ang is outside one trailer doing tai-chi while coffee is being brewed in the Heath-Michelle household.  Michelle was so cutely embarrassed.

And Jake walking around with a nasty cap on that they all gave him, which said "Jack Nasty."
Let be, let be

Offline jason

• Lureen
« Reply #33 on: Jan 28, 2006, 01:00 AM »
Reply to Hermes.

Good discussion of basics, Hermes.  I thought you were going to conclude on the Ennis top, Jack bottom note, patently false.  Even tho you invoke stereotypes, you do it fully aware (I hate stereotypes of course), I think you are quite correct in your discussion on all points. You rightly talk of the wonderful, real-life "mix."

Please let me know where Ennis says he'll "have none of that."  Read the story twice and don't remember that.

"...no instruction manual needed" come from the story.
Let be, let be

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #34 on: Jan 28, 2006, 02:15 AM »

Patriot, Kindred.  Hi.

May I ask which rednecker town you're in?

I think you got cheated.  Maybe some movie house owner couldn't *stand* some of the scenes and dumbed it down a bit LOL... 

Hi Jason.

I live in a small working class town just outside of San Diego, California. 

You know, your comment about the theater owner "dumbing" it down is funny.  That is exactly what I am beginning to think.  Can a cinema owner do that?

Offline jason

• Lureen
« Reply #35 on: Jan 28, 2006, 02:26 AM »

You know, your comment about the theater owner "dumbing" it down is funny.  That is exactly what I am beginning to think.  Can a cinema owner do that?

No idea.  I never go to movies. Why wd it be shorter?  Maybe the owner thinks there were too many camping scenes.  Maybe like the king in 'Amadeus' who complained that Mozart had "too many notes" in a composition, one has to ask immediately -- in parallel with Mozart's totally bewildered "which notes?" -- which scenes wd one cut from this wonderfully crafted, so satisfying movie?

Maybe he/she cut out all the cuss words -- make a big difference.
Let be, let be

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2006, 02:43 AM »

Maybe that is what she did.  I don't know.  Guess I won't know until the DVD comes out.  I am not going back to the theater.  There were only 5 of us in the theater and I was the only guy.  I felt *very* uncomfortable, especially in this town.  It was even very obvious the guy who sold me the ticket was making an effort not to look at me.  But the guy who ripped the ticket did get a little grin on his face when he saw what movie it was for.  I wasn't sure what kind of a grin it was so I felt uncomfortable about it. 

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2006, 02:46 AM »
The movie is 2 hours and 15 minutes.  I'm not sure why the version you saw was shortened.

A theater owner can't do that can they?  If not, that would mean the studio put out several versions.

Offline jason

• Lureen
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2006, 03:40 AM »

I am not going back to the theater.  There were only 5 of us in the theater and I was the only guy.  I felt *very* uncomfortable, especially in this town.  It was even very obvious the guy who sold me the ticket was making an effort not to look at me.  But the guy who ripped the ticket did get a little grin on his face when he saw what movie it was for.  I wasn't sure what kind of a grin it was so I felt uncomfortable about it. 
Sorry you were uncomfortable.  Your story emphasises that the pockets of acceptance are sometimes very small. In Houston there were lots of people, the cinema was known for showing unusual movies and everything was fine. 

SO you've only seen the movie once?  Six viewings have each shown me more.  Now I'm ready to just sit back after learning it, and enjoy it!
Let be, let be

Offline jason

• Lureen
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2006, 03:40 AM »

I am not going back to the theater.  There were only 5 of us in the theater and I was the only guy.  I felt *very* uncomfortable, especially in this town.  It was even very obvious the guy who sold me the ticket was making an effort not to look at me.  But the guy who ripped the ticket did get a little grin on his face when he saw what movie it was for.  I wasn't sure what kind of a grin it was so I felt uncomfortable about it. 
Sorry you were uncomfortable.  Your story emphasises that the pockets of acceptance are sometimes very small. In Houston there were lots of people, the cinema was known for showing unusual movies and everything was fine. 

SO you've only seen the movie once?  Six viewings have each shown me more.  Now I'm ready to just sit back after learning it, and enjoy it!
Let be, let be

Offline jason

• Lureen
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2006, 03:43 AM »

Let be, let be

Offline jason

• Lureen
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2006, 03:52 AM »
I think "gun's going off" was excluded form the scene because as brief as it is it is too much dialogue in the scene and would have been a distraction form it.

again there is more said with a glance than one word. or three.

Segue into scenes: What about the smoking after in the motel?  I thought it was stereotypical"

I think it was Jake Gyllenhaal who said Ang Lee is a master of silent conversation (something like that).  And as I said before, "gun's goin off" struck the wrong note for me.

The smoking was OK for me. Those guys smoke all the time (everyone did in the 60's--I used to get to work from avery smoky bus smelling awful but thought it was normal!).

More to the point, Proulx in the story makes one of them, delightfully, draw the other's hand with cigarette to his mouth for a drag.  We didn't see this in the movie.  I think they missed the chance for an intimacy.
Let be, let be

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2006, 07:14 PM »
I think "gun's going off" was excluded form the scene because as brief as it is it is too much dialogue in the scene and would have been a distraction form it.

again there is more said with a glance than one word. or three.

Segue into scenes: What about the smoking after in the motel?  I thought it was stereotypical"

I think it was Jake Gyllenhaal who said Ang Lee is a master of silent conversation (something like that).  And as I said before, "gun's goin off" struck the wrong note for me.

The smoking was OK for me. Those guys smoke all the time (everyone did in the 60's--I used to get to work from avery smoky bus smelling awful but thought it was normal!).

More to the point, Proulx in the story makes one of them, delightfully, draw the other's hand with cigarette to his mouth for a drag.  We didn't see this in the movie.  I think they missed the chance for an intimacy.

I wanted to see that too.  "Well, at least we'll have the campfire"
RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2006, 05:43 AM »

I just went to the http://www.videoeta.com web site and looked up BBM.  They say it is coming out on DVD in May and guess how long it is?  You got it 1 hour and 34 minutes!  Exactly what I saw in the theatre. I will never get to see the whole thing!

Oh, and by the by, while watching the awards tonight I did see one thing that I didn't see in the theatre; I never saw that Jack and Ennis's boss came up on the mountain to spy on them.

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2006, 07:00 AM »
Usually they include scenes in the DVD that are not in the released film not the other way around.  I would put my hopes on anextended DVD MAYBE even with the authors intrviews.

Of course they could come out with the movie DVD in May and an extended one a year later re: LOTR.
RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

Offline jimmypage

• Lureen
« Reply #45 on: Feb 10, 2006, 04:44 AM »
On the contrary, I was a bit skeptical with Ennis asking Jake "what are you doing?" in the movie (from what he does immediately afterwards, he probably had a very clear idea of what Jack was doing).
Maybe I'm not properly IT..anyway someone on another forum made me notice that, before this  "what are you doing?" , after they jumped up,
Jack puts again Ennis (left, for the sake of precision) hand on his... you know (with his left hand...idem)
We cannot see the hands, but the movement is clear, for me...
this is the moment in which they are gazing each other
then Ennis says "what are you doing"..or something with same  meaning , Jack takes off his jacket etc.

Has someone else noticed it?

Offline cybernaut

• Alma
« Reply #46 on: Feb 10, 2006, 07:58 AM »

The closest one I can think of is sharing of the cigarettes at the later part of the movie. I initially thought it might be weed because the "cigarette" looked handmade... I am not a smoker but I have seen people passing weed cigarettes between them. The time-line should be towards late 70s and early 80s so I thought it might be a weed.  ;)

Other clue was that Jack finally blurt it out, how much he misses Ennis. Something he probably wouldn't have done after repressing it for so long.

But they passed the whisky bottle between the two.... so it could be simply plain cigarette (with magical wonders)! haha.  ;)
I'm saying a prayer of thanks... that you didn't bring your harmonica!

tweric

« Reply #47 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:30 AM »

I just went to the http://www.videoeta.com web site and looked up BBM.  They say it is coming out on DVD in May and guess how long it is?  You got it 1 hour and 34 minutes!  Exactly what I saw in the theatre. I will never get to see the whole thing!

I checked the website.
*whisper* It's 134 minutes... (= 2 hours 14 minutes)

Offline matt78

• Alma Jr.
  • Formerly garc1978
« Reply #48 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:51 AM »

hehehe  ;D

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #49 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:55 AM »

The closest one I can think of is sharing of the cigarettes at the later part of the movie. I initially thought it might be weed because the "cigarette" looked handmade... I am not a smoker but I have seen people passing weed cigarettes between them. The time-line should be towards late 70s and early 80s so I thought it might be a weed.  ;)

Other clue was that Jack finally blurt it out, how much he misses Ennis. Something he probably wouldn't have done after repressing it for so long.

But they passed the whisky bottle between the two.... so it could be simply plain cigarette (with magical wonders)! haha.  ;)

Their last trip together they're sharing a joint.  Don't ask me how I know.  Anyway, I didn't inhale.   ::)

camom

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #50 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:58 AM »
I believe it would actually be illegal for a theater owner to alter a film.  It wouldn't be that easy to do without it being very noticeable, either.  I think the mixup is the 134 minutes being interpreted as 1:34. 

camom

Offline bram

• Jack
« Reply #51 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:57 AM »
Jason, what theater did you see it at?

I've seen it twice in a theater in Houston. I'm from a small town near Houston, and the theaters around here only played it for a very short period of time. I used to go into Houston all the time, though, and I go to this one theater downtown that is well known for playing odd movies.
Dog Canyon, Texas is the most beautiful place in the world. You should check it out.

Offline bram

• Jack
« Reply #52 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:59 AM »
Patriot, I think you may be confused. The movie is 134 minutes long.
Dog Canyon, Texas is the most beautiful place in the world. You should check it out.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #53 on: Feb 11, 2006, 11:44 AM »
Their last trip together they're sharing a joint.  Don't ask me how I know.  Anyway, I didn't inhale.   ::)

camom

I thought it was quite obvious..not that I know anything about joints really ::)
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #54 on: Feb 12, 2006, 03:38 AM »

camom

I thought it was quite obvious..not that I know anything about joints really ::)

Uh huh, yeah, me either.   :P

camom

Offline CherryCake

• Jack
  • You want a piece of me? YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME??!!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 14, 2006, 09:57 PM »

camom

Uh huh, yeah, me either.   :P

camom

Well, I know it was a joint.  It was in the short story  :) :)
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2006, 10:13 PM by CherryCake »
"Want some coffee, don't you? Piece a cherry cake?"

Hit me up on Yahoo: PieceOfCherryCake

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #56 on: Mar 01, 2006, 10:09 PM »
Here is what surprised me about the first tent scene--that even though Ennis was just woke up and he was drunk that he thought (and I'm sorry if this is graphic) to spit on his hand and use it for lube. Now, for a person in that state who had "not yet had the opportunity" to be a sinner--what made him even think to do the spitting? This is really one of the only parts of the movie that sort of "bothers" me.

As far as the other conversation about people hurting themselves having homosexual sex--I can also confirm that it happens more often than probably most people think. My friend is a surgical assistant in a major city hospital. She sees about one homosexual man a week with anal problems that must be surgically fixed. Again, I don't want to get too graphic--but the injuries cause the muscles down there to stop working and then you can imagine what happens.

I have to say that it must be incredibly frustrating to know as a gay man that this type of injury can happen. It makes me wonder if gay men limit this type of sex because of the possible consequences? I can't imagine worrying about this as a woman--just thinking that too much sex with my lifelong partner could cause me serious medical injury is sort of unthinkable! What would a person do? Yes, there are other ways to show affection, but who wants to live with being limited?

Anyway, sorry if this offends anyone. I have an open mind and I am happy to hear any and all thoughts.

Cora

Offline CherryCake

• Jack
  • You want a piece of me? YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME??!!
« Reply #57 on: Mar 01, 2006, 11:57 PM »
--what made him even think to do the spitting? This is really one of the only parts of the movie that sort of "bothers" me.

Well, to be as clear as possible, spit is pretty common as lube when a guy is pleasuring himself and there's nothing to suggest Ennis would not have known this. At the moment of the sex with Jack then, logic, even in his drunken state, would suggest that spit might work.

As far as the other conversation about people hurting themselves having homosexual sex--I can also confirm that it happens more often than probably most people think. My friend is a surgical assistant in a major city hospital. She sees about one homosexual man a week with anal problems that must be surgically fixed.
Well, I have to be honest and tell you I have met many, hundreds, been with many, and have never knew this to be a common problem.  Sorry, but there are ways to prevent injurys and most guys I think know how.  Not saying that there are not any injuries, but haven't heard any reports, statistics or facts to support this to be a huge problem.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2006, 11:59 PM by CherryCake »
"Want some coffee, don't you? Piece a cherry cake?"

Hit me up on Yahoo: PieceOfCherryCake

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #58 on: Mar 02, 2006, 11:33 PM »
Well, Cherry, I can guarantee you that I'm not lying about my friend and the hospital.  I was asking an honest question and didn't mean to ruffle feathers. Not having watched a man masterbate before I didn't know about the spit. But I can tell you that when I have given hand jobs that no one ever suggested spit to me, and I've been pretty successful. So that's what I know as a straight woman trying to understand another culture. But thank you for responding anyway.

Cora

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #59 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:12 AM »

It was a 2 hours 14 minutes each time I watched it.

Each time I watched it, I felt it was shorter every time.  Time relativity maybe?   Any Einstein here plize?
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault