Brokeback Mountain Forum @ ennisjack.com

The Movie & Story => Characters, Quotes & Scenes => Topic started by: aintfoolin on Apr 17, 2007, 03:26 PM

Title: The Sweet Life?
Post by: aintfoolin on Apr 17, 2007, 03:26 PM
This is what Jack wanted and it's what most of us wanted for them, but could this really work? This is speculation but with these two personalities living together ....well I don't know I have some doubts. Jack is outgoing , agressive and willing to take chances. Ennis, Quiet, reserved and so restrained? What would be the glue that really holds this * marriage* together?  Could they trust each other?   What roles would each play? Could Ennis *live* with Jack?  What would happen if Jack's dream came true? Where would they live? and how? These are things Ive thought about often.   It's all speculation, but what if?......
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: Twisted on Apr 17, 2007, 11:32 PM
What would be the glue that really holds this * marriage* together?

Love would be the one what would be holding them together. If Jack would have got Ennis, I think, that it's everything Jack wanted, so there would be trust (no mexico trips or anything else..)

And I think, that Ennis would have grow out of his quietness and eventually settled with Jack to their place, where ever it would have been.

I don't know, hard question..
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 18, 2007, 07:56 AM
I think it would work because they are not really in opposition to one another; rather, then are more complementary.  They seem to cover each other's weaknesses, and with both of them combined, I think they are stronger.

I think a lot of good marriages are based on complementarity, and not similarity, no?

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: masetane on Apr 18, 2007, 11:38 AM
Yes, i believe in the opposites attract thing too.

At first I thought they would have had a sweet life but lately I've been thinking I wasn't so sure. I think Ennis was just too uncomfortable with it and terrible memories.  I had thought he was sort of fine the way things were b.c. at least it was something, but when he said he couldn't stand it anymore...I dunno.  I think he would have kept it the same way with Jack but maybe his feelings would open more???  got to think about this one.....
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: FlwrChild on Apr 18, 2007, 03:31 PM
I could actually see them having a good life together. They worked well together that first summer. During the 'fishing trips' throughout the years they seemed to as well. And they genuinely enjoyed each others company. It wasn't just about sex but having a relationship, a friendship. That, and as Twisted said, love would be the glue. I liked what AP said in the short story of their summer together:

They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: aintfoolin on Apr 18, 2007, 03:44 PM
Opposites do attract, I agree , but this is Ennis Del Mar scarred and scared with many inner conflicts about who he is, Would Jack fear that Ennis would bolt? Perhaps Ennis would  be thinking on the line of being forced into something he was'nt ready for. Jack would have to convince Ennis somehow that no one was going to come kicking  their door down in the middle of the night, that they were not Earl and Ray. I'd wish him luck doing that, but they did  loved each other. Perhaps in time Ennis would stop wringing his hands and get on with it, but Jack would have to have the patience of Job in my opinion to make this work.He'd waited 20 years and would have to had accomplished a miracle getting Ennis to agree to this so maybe there's hope after all.
 Hopefully the communication would improve, so that that Jack would not have to assume so much about what Ennis is thinking at times. Getting Ennis out of Riverton should be a priority, Maybe Texas?And they did work well together,  Flowerchild, yes indeed. A perfect match they were, so perhaps as in any relationship, or marriage love and alot of hard work will sustain it. They were certainly deserving of it. My opinion.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: LuvJackNasty on Apr 18, 2007, 10:37 PM
I think they'd have their challenges- namely Ennis getting over the fear that every little noise was the tire irons coming for them. But overall I think it would have worked out for them. They loved each other and at the core of that was friendship. I think it is safe to assume that their meetings over the years were intimate and I mean that more in the sense of emotionally- they enjoyed each others company- that's what kept them both coming back each time knowing yet another painful seperation would soon follow. I agree that Jack would have to have a lot of patience in helping to quell Ennis's fears but I think over time they'd settle in nicely with each other- as others have said- they are complimentary to each other.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: manhattangirl on Apr 19, 2007, 06:57 AM
if you watched closely Ennis continually depended on what Jack thought.   As long Jack was there Ennis was grounded.   I think if Ennis would have known or realized that Jack was more of stabilizing influence on him then anyone else in his life, and that he was happier, and more at peace with him and at peace with himself.  The "Sweet Life" could have been a real possibility. 

How would they live, or where?  It would have come naturally to them.    IMHO
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 19, 2007, 07:02 AM
Yes, i believe in the opposites attract thing too.

At first I thought they would have had a sweet life but lately I've been thinking I wasn't so sure. I think Ennis was just too uncomfortable with it and terrible memories.  I had thought he was sort of fine the way things were b.c. at least it was something, but when he said he couldn't stand it anymore...I dunno.  I think he would have kept it the same way with Jack but maybe his feelings would open more???  got to think about this one.....

Many couples continue to have happy marriages even though they individually have to deal with ghosts from the past or demons that present themselves in later life.   It is a question of whether they are stronger together, rather than apart.  The best partnerships are those that get tested through the fire.  Yes, many fail, but those that survive more than endure and thrive.

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 19, 2007, 07:08 AM
Opposites do attract, I agree , but this is Ennis Del Mar scarred and scared with many inner conflicts about who he is, Would Jack fear that Ennis would bolt? Perhaps Ennis would  be thinking on the line of being forced into something he was'nt ready for. Jack would have to convince Ennis somehow that no one was going to come kicking  their door down in the middle of the night, that they were not Earl and Ray. I'd wish him luck doing that, but they did  loved each other. Perhaps in time Ennis would stop wringing his hands and get on with it, but Jack would have to have the patience of Job in my opinion to make this work.He'd waited 20 years and would have to had accomplished a miracle getting Ennis to agree to this so maybe there's hope after all.
 Hopefully the communication would improve, so that that Jack would not have to assume so much about what Ennis is thinking at times. Getting Ennis out of Riverton should be a priority, Maybe Texas?And they did work well together,  Flowerchild, yes indeed. A perfect match they were, so perhaps as in any relationship, or marriage love and alot of hard work will sustain it. They were certainly deserving of it. My opinion.


I don't think Jack tried to coerce Ennis into anything.  He was almost too gracious.  He knew that if were to hold on to Ennis, it would not be by coercion. 

As I said in my previous post, many relationships become stronger because of the scars they have to bear.  Such relationships can only get stronger, if they survive.  Some do, so it is not too much to think that Ennis's and Jack's would have worked.

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: welshwitch on Apr 19, 2007, 12:00 PM
Yes, I agree, they went through so much together and surely being together, whatever the problems, would have been better than being apart.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 20, 2007, 07:51 AM
Yes, I agree, they went through so much together and surely being together, whatever the problems, would have been better than being apart.

The risk would have been worth it, no?  I think this was what Jack wanted Ennis to realize, and Ennis realized it too late.

There seems to be a parallel with Ennis realizing that he loved Jack after the 4 years separation before the reunion, and Ennis realizing what he had lost after Jack had died. 

 
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: FlwrChild on Apr 20, 2007, 08:03 AM
They were both milestones, jolts of recognition. But whereas after Jack died, he realized he loved him, I think at the time of the reunion, he realized he was still drawn to Jack, still needed him. But did not perhaps understand yet that this was genuine love.

Though I have to wonder, Earl and Rich aside, if Ennis weren't married with children at the time of the reunion, might he have been somewhat more inclined to take some kind of a chance with Jack?

Don't know, just rambling.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: welshwitch on Apr 20, 2007, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure - tend to think Alma and the girls were a convenient excuse but if they hadn't existed he'd have found something else, maybe the attitudes of people around him. Earl and Rich were there in the back of his mind - that's  how he saw any attempt at achieving a sweet life with Jack ending up and nothing could make him think any differently.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: aintfoolin on Apr 21, 2007, 03:47 PM
 There's an old saying, Time heals all wounds. Could this apply to Ennis and Jack? Jack needed a miracle, to get Ennis to the point of givin it a shot. Once he got over that hump the rest is dependent on how bad they want . We know Jack does and I think Ennis does too, but Ennis would be like that lion in Wizard of Oz asking the wizard for some courage!!! ...Shaky. LOL. ;D ;D
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on Apr 21, 2007, 07:00 PM
Once he got over that hump the rest is dependent on how bad they want it.

Definitely. If they could have held on until Ennis was "free", his daughters grown and child support ended - And if Jack coulda' figured some way to get Ennis outta' there with some slight financial support that didn't come off as charity, I think Ennis would have lightened up on his responsibility role that I feel burdened him considerably, limiting his geographic and economic flexibility. I think it could have been really great at that point. I don't believe Jack fully grasp how seriously Ennis took his role as father, Jack's idea of "gettin' lost" from his family seems to indicate he had a different view of these ties.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: manhattangirl on Apr 21, 2007, 08:00 PM



"Mexico, hell Jack the travalin I ever done was round a coffee pot looking for the handle."  Oh yeah Ennis would have pack his bags, the minute he sent the last child support check in.   
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on Apr 22, 2007, 07:33 AM
Why not? Once his "job" of providing for the only other people he loved was done, there'd be no reason not to. You can say, well why didn't he do it before, but that's assuming that he had the same disdain for his children that Jack did.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: manhattangirl on Apr 22, 2007, 09:19 AM
IMHO:

Let's lay off Jack, we can't blame Jack because he married into money. I'm sure his son would have not missed a meal, to assume Jack didn't care about his son, is kind of unfair,  Jack was more real about the situation then Ennis was.

And for goodness sake Riverton, WY. is not the only place in the whole of the US, Ennis could find work,  and to wait until his child support was paid off  to move on with life is kind of silly.   I sure with Jack, no other dependents would have been produced. 

Alma went on with her life, Ennis never did, what does that say.  At every stage of this love affair Ennis found excuses, but never came up with any solutions.  Like he told Jack at the final meeting, "Do you have a better idea?"  Ennis never had a better idea, only excuse.   
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: welshwitch on Apr 22, 2007, 11:39 AM
And Jack's response, "I did once," suggests that his idea of the ranch has now been allowed to drift into the past - he clearly isn't thinking in those terms after all these years. Realistically they're 39 now - not the best of times to start up something which would have been massively easier when they were 23, after the reunion, and when LD was hoping to get rid of Jack, who wasn't then so embedded in the structure of the family business.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on Apr 22, 2007, 04:12 PM
"Listen. I'm thinkin, tell you what, if you and me had a little ranch together, little cow and calf operation, your horses, it'd be some sweet life. . . . . I got it figured, got this plan Ennis, how we can do it, you and me. Lureen's old man, you bet he'd give me a bunch if I'd get lost. Already more or less said it _ "

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. It ain't goin a be that way. We can't. I'm stuck with what I got, caught in my own loop. Can't get out of it.”

All I’m sayin’ is Jack had one plan in ‘67, it involved him getting some “payout” money and “gettin’ lost”, (doesn’t sound like a very dedicated father) but nonetheless, I think it give us an insight to his feelings regarding his “family”. Ennis made it clear at that time he wasn’t going to do that, felt he was caught in his loop, I interpret this “loop” as his family. To him working hundreds of miles away from his daughters was not a viable option, some (including maybe Jack) see this as an “excuse” which implies fault, I see it as a reason - I can’t blame him for choosing this. I don’t think Jack, who was already willing to split from his family, “got it” i.e. understood Ennis’s dedication here. I believe Ennis’s family ties were key to AP creating Ennis as something of an orphan.

The post divorce reunion made it clear again that Ennis was still dedicated to his daughters and wanted to be near them. He hadn’t been with them for over two months, yet Jack takes off clearly thinking Ennis doesn’t love him. Later, his snide remark to Jack about “adopting the girls” when Jack suggests Ennis move to Texas reinforces the fact that Ennis is still tied to his daughters and Jack still doesn’t get it. (not good communicating skills on either part in these scenes).

This dichotomy follows us through the film until their last scene when Ennis is STILL dedicated to his daughters, but Jack doesn’t see why he can’t quit his job to get away in August. To me this is a critical difference in these two men, the way they see their blood family, it pervades the film and creates a substantial amount of the tension we see.

But, I don’t see anything in the story to indicate Ennis would not move on once he felt his family obligations with his daughters were substantially complete. He went to Worland with his brother to get a job, he went to Signal in ’63 to find work, he later went to Riverton with Alma. I don’t think he liked traveling for recreation (re: the Mexico comment) but I see nothing to indicate he wouldn’t go someplace if he was able and there was a purpose (i.e. life with Jack). Just MHO.

jackster
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on Apr 22, 2007, 04:18 PM
Realistically they're 39 now - not the best of times to start up something which would have been massively easier when they were 23

So life with Randall probably wouldn't have worked either  :s)
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: LuvJackNasty on Apr 22, 2007, 08:06 PM
In my earliest viewings of the film the one thing I didn't like was that Jack was willing to leave Bobby. However that feeling was short lived. I believe what pushed him to seek out Ennis again was the scene after Bobby was first born where he was treated like a piece of crap by his in-laws. I don't blame him for wanting to escape that life considering LD was basically telling him to get lost. The Thanksgiving scene shows that Jack was trying to teach his son to respect his mother with the whole tv incident- yes it turned into a power play with LD but at first he was doing it to support Lureen. In the SS it says that he was worried about Bobby's learning disablility while Lureen pretended it away- she has the money and called the shots. Jack could have left his son at anytime if the money was that enticing to him- yet he stayed- he could have taken the money and run- no looking back, no responsibility but to me, none of that mattered without Ennis. For someone who "Didn't want none a either kind" he stayed.

The whole thing about Ennis bringing up the child support at that late stage always mystified me- He had child support payments since 1975 and yet still met Jack and I think it's safe to assume gave up jobs etc in all of those years. So why all of the sudden? I have no doubt Ennis loved his girls and did want to do right by them but at that particular point it just seemed like an excuse, IMO

WW- I had the same feeling about the I did once on my last viewing of that scene. That he was perhaps no longer offering that sweet life. I think that's what prompted Ennis to finally get in his face because Jack is implying that it's in the past.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: FlwrChild on Apr 22, 2007, 10:24 PM
I also have to point out a couple of differences between the SS and the movie.

I found it interesting that Ennis was portrayed in the SS as being a little more expressive with Jack than in the movie and a little more affectionate about his girls in the movie than in the book.

From the SS, after the Thanksgiving scene:

He didn't try to see his girls for a long time, figuring they would look him up when they got the sense and years to move out from Alma.

So I still see his reasons for putting Jack off all that time to be more about his own fears and self-denial than his responsibility to his children. Which is not to discount his love for them. Just my impression.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: manhattangirl on Apr 23, 2007, 06:47 AM
Jackster,

Then the ending of the film was totally justified with Ennis spending the rest of his life mourning and honoring Jack's memory.

IMO:   

Ennis's will prevailed, never mind the fear of a life with Jack, that's pretty much a moot point, his obligations then as father and his commitment to that, even though, he unwillingness to have his children totally in his life, Alma, Jr wanting to move in, and his refusal, why he had to "work", and wouldn't be around much."  the real reason, to be with Jack.   

Did he love Jack enough,  was his obligations all consuming to him, did he want his growing isolation more?   was his fear of his own sexuality was still something he hadn't or unwilling to deal with.  Ennis to me was like a chameleon, changing with any situation.   Jack stays steadfast in his love for Ennis, and on Ennis' terms, which he pretty much lived with to be with him, until he died never realizing his own dream.   

Ennis got what he wanted.    There's no tragedy here. Except may for Jack unrealized dreams, a love not honored till after his death.    The one clear opposing force to Ennis's changeable reasons in what made up his life was Jack love for Ennis, his love, that was the force that was defeated in the end. 
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 23, 2007, 07:12 AM
They were both milestones, jolts of recognition. But whereas after Jack died, he realized he loved him, I think at the time of the reunion, he realized he was still drawn to Jack, still needed him. But did not perhaps understand yet that this was genuine love.

Though I have to wonder, Earl and Rich aside, if Ennis weren't married with children at the time of the reunion, might he have been somewhat more inclined to take some kind of a chance with Jack?

Don't know, just rambling.

I think it would have been easier if Ennis would not have married.  IO think it was this that set things in motion so as to be irreversible.  Not that it sealed their fates in and of itself.  But I think it set them on a pattern wherein they could not advance to the next step.

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 23, 2007, 07:15 AM
I'm not sure - tend to think Alma and the girls were a convenient excuse but if they hadn't existed he'd have found something else, maybe the attitudes of people around him. Earl and Rich were there in the back of his mind - that's  how he saw any attempt at achieving a sweet life with Jack ending up and nothing could make him think any differently.

Good point.  I was about to raise this in my last post.  Still, I can't help that the marriage gave Ennis a "convenient excuse", if I can put it this way.  I guess this is unfair.  Even if Ennis would have found other things to justify their not being together, I think that the marriage only made things harder for both of them to consider a step towards a life together.

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 23, 2007, 07:20 AM
In my earliest viewings of the film the one thing I didn't like was that Jack was willing to leave Bobby. However that feeling was short lived. I believe what pushed him to seek out Ennis again was the scene after Bobby was first born where he was treated like a piece of crap by his in-laws. I don't blame him for wanting to escape that life considering LD was basically telling him to get lost. The Thanksgiving scene shows that Jack was trying to teach his son to respect his mother with the whole tv incident- yes it turned into a power play with LD but at first he was doing it to support Lureen. In the SS it says that he was worried about Bobby's learning disablility while Lureen pretended it away- she has the money and called the shots. Jack could have left his son at anytime if the money was that enticing to him- yet he stayed- he could have taken the money and run- no looking back, no responsibility but to me, none of that mattered without Ennis. For someone who "Didn't want none a either kind" he stayed.

The whole thing about Ennis bringing up the child support at that late stage always mystified me- He had child support payments since 1975 and yet still met Jack and I think it's safe to assume gave up jobs etc in all of those years. So why all of the sudden? I have no doubt Ennis loved his girls and did want to do right by them but at that particular point it just seemed like an excuse, IMO

WW- I had the same feeling about the I did once on my last viewing of that scene. That he was perhaps no longer offering that sweet life. I think that's what prompted Ennis to finally get in his face because Jack is implying that it's in the past.

It is rather mystifying.  Even the excuses given if the last meeting...  I know that they were somehow valid and that Ennis certainly had a more difficult time than Jack making ends meet, but I still find it difficult to fathom why Ennis would willfully be the biggest impediment to his own happiness.

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lamusica on Apr 23, 2007, 07:20 PM
Sometimes it is just easier to stick with what you know that to strike out into the unknown.  Maybe that's how Ennis felt.  He wasn't happy with things the way they were, but at least he knew his place in that world.  Striking out with Jack was an unknown -- where would they wind up; how would they be together all the time; what would society's reaction be?  etc.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: Bob on Apr 23, 2007, 08:08 PM
Opposites do attract, which they were, but - they also have to have something in common - which they did, would they have been able to be together - I think so, but I also think that Ennis would have had to move beyond his fears - also, Jack was a lot more outgoing than Ennis - I think he'd have to learn to enjoy the "silence" once in awhile - they would surely have had several "bumps" in the road - hopefully they'd be able to work them out - after all - they were together for nearly twenty so there must have been more there than just the sex.  Just my opinion.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lauren on Apr 24, 2007, 01:50 AM
the sweet life is something that i really want for both of them if only jack hadn't died. if only jack had showed up at the end of the movie just when ennis say 'jack, i swear...' and jack would've said, 'swear what?' or something equally sarcastic. then they would have kissed and make up and they would ride off into the sunset to pursue the sweet life that they are after but then, unfortunately, jack died and all my dreams about them being together at the end were flusjed down the toilet. if it were up to me, it would have been possible for them to be together seeing that when they are together, that's the only time ennis truly opens up. that's when they are themselves...when they are with their family, its like they are both concealing a part of themselves. with jack, ennis can truly let go all his worries and let jack lead the way...they would be equals...lovers...partners
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: manhattangirl on Apr 24, 2007, 06:43 AM
Ennis had a way of bringing Jack once in a while back to reality,  Jack had a big ego, Ennis had a way of bringing him down to earth.   Ennis had a strong work ethic, untangling the sheep, "we had to stick with it Jack."   So if they did have c & c operation, Ennis would have been the backbone, if Jack felt a little overwhelmed Ennis would have given the strength to keep going.   

They were so perfectly match, it is painful to watch what they went through. 

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 24, 2007, 06:45 AM
Sometimes it is just easier to stick with what you know that to strike out into the unknown.  Maybe that's how Ennis felt.  He wasn't happy with things the way they were, but at least he knew his place in that world.  Striking out with Jack was an unknown -- where would they wind up; how would they be together all the time; what would society's reaction be?  etc.

Maybe he just became complacent -- assuming that they could go on forever, even if it meant meeting less often.  Ennis's greatest enemy is his stoicism, I fear.  Had he a lower pain threshold, he probably would have given in to Jack's request...

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 24, 2007, 06:50 AM
Opposites do attract, which they were, but - they also have to have something in common - which they did, would they have been able to be together - I think so, but I also think that Ennis would have had to move beyond his fears - also, Jack was a lot more outgoing than Ennis - I think he'd have to learn to enjoy the "silence" once in awhile - they would surely have had several "bumps" in the road - hopefully they'd be able to work them out - after all - they were together for nearly twenty so there must have been more there than just the sex.  Just my opinion.

They did have a number of things in common -- important things, IMO.   For one, they came from relatively difficult/lonely childhoods, and there was a need for companionship that was accepting of each other -- something that they never fully expereinced within their own families.

The mix of similarities and diddimilarities would have made a sweet life together work, IMO.  It was a matter of being able to live ir without fears.

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 24, 2007, 06:52 AM
the sweet life is something that i really want for both of them if only jack hadn't died. if only jack had showed up at the end of the movie just when ennis say 'jack, i swear...' and jack would've said, 'swear what?' or something equally sarcastic. then they would have kissed and make up and they would ride off into the sunset to pursue the sweet life that they are after but then, unfortunately, jack died and all my dreams about them being together at the end were flusjed down the toilet. if it were up to me, it would have been possible for them to be together seeing that when they are together, that's the only time ennis truly opens up. that's when they are themselves...when they are with their family, its like they are both concealing a part of themselves. with jack, ennis can truly let go all his worries and let jack lead the way...they would be equals...lovers...partners

lauren, so you do think it was probable that Ennis would have inevitably given in had Jack lived?

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 24, 2007, 06:57 AM
Ennis had a way of bringing Jack once in a while back to reality,  Jack had a big ego, Ennis had a way of bringing him down to earth.   Ennis had a strong work ethic, untangling the sheep, "we had to stick with it Jack."   So if they did have c & c operation, Ennis would have been the backbone, if Jack felt a little overwhelmed Ennis would have given the strength to keep going.   

They were so perfectly match, it is painful to watch what they went through. 

Ennis's "stubbornness" was both a strength and a failing in this regard.  He gave Jack a sense of reality, but he also failed to see beyond the current reality -- that he could make something a reality if he dared to.

Jack's deferral to Ennis was likewise a strength and a weakness.  Had he been a bit less deferential and a bit more assertive, perhaps he would have been able to turn Ennis around.  But we see that by deferring to Ennis, Jack acknowledged that Ennis did have his feet on the ground most of the time and that he provided a sense of balance to jack's dreams.

Hence, it is hard to condemn both for those traits that both served them and shackled them.

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: manhattangirl on Apr 24, 2007, 07:01 AM
Totally agree, tpe
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 24, 2007, 07:06 AM
Thanks manhattangirl.  For all our love of a sweet life, it is hard to put ourselves in either one's shoes.  They made difficult choices that were both right and wrong.  It can be so difficult to live, more so than it is to love.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on Apr 24, 2007, 07:09 AM
I think it would have been easier if Ennis would not have married. IO think it was this that set things in motion so as to be irreversible. 


Exactly. And Annie lays this out in one of the very earliest scenes before there's much going on between the boys. Ennis ALREADY had a plan, one that didn't involve Jack. So Jack was working uphill from the start and his being able to "win over" Ennis during the summer is even more remarkable. It still amazes me how she wove this incredibly twisted tale with such skill.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 24, 2007, 07:18 AM
Exactly. And Annie lays this out in one of the very earliest scenes before there's much going on between the boys. Ennis ALREADY had a plan, one that didn't involve Jack. So Jack was working uphill from the start and his being able to "win over" Ennis during the summer is even more remarkable. It still amazes me how she wove this incredibly twisted tale with such skill.

I had wondered if up on Brokeback in 63, Jack already had a vision of a shared life together. 

I think that it porbably was not yet well formed in him. 

At that point in time, I think both of them resigned themselves to this being a one-shot thing, as Ennis already had othwer plans.  It seemed to me that only after 4 years of separation that Jack realized that he wanted a life with Ennis, and by that time, things had gone too far in the other direction, as far as Alma and Lureen are concerned...

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on Apr 24, 2007, 07:56 AM
I had wondered if up on Brokeback in 63, Jack already had a vision of a shared life together. 


Interesting question, seems so basic it must have been discussed somewhere else but I don't know where. The SS makes it pretty clear in the motel scene when Ennis realizes he "needed" Jack, but it doesn't seem very clear in either SS or film when Jack makes his revelation regarding his idea of the Sweet Life. If Jack had the idea in '63 why did he wait four years (the punch?) or as you say it was just too unproven at that point. Did he hatch the plan while driving up to the Riverton reunion? But at that point he didn't know that Ennis was going have such a "warm" reception for him even though he redlined it - did he come up with this idea quickly in the motel (in the SS) or driving up to the mountains (in the film). I Wonder. . . .
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: welshwitch on Apr 24, 2007, 12:43 PM
Jack being Jack, I think he'd have said something or hinted, if not while they were up on the mountain, then after they came down and before they separated in Signal.

I think it came together in his mind once he realised that the Newsomes were never going to accept him, and that he was just a gofer in the short term and the guy who'd provided the Newsome heir, but unimportant in the eyes of LD, his wife and Lureen. Once again, as he'd been in his own family, Jack was the outsider who couldn't feel a sense of being loved and wanted, so he thought back to the time when he did, and realised that it was up on Brokeback with Ennis.

And since he was a natural optimist he decided to go back and see if there was any hope of rekindling what they'd had - LD had evidently already made it clear that he would pay Jack off if he'd go away, so money wouldn't be much of a problem. I think finding Ennis with two children must have been a bit of a shock, spcially after the passionate kiss that they'd just shared.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lamusica on Apr 24, 2007, 04:50 PM
Right on, ww!
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lauren on Apr 25, 2007, 02:09 AM
Quote
lauren, so you do think it was probable that Ennis would have inevitably given in had Jack lived?

it's a possiblility. if ennis hadn't love jack so much, he wouldn't have wanted to keep their relationship going even after so many years, just waiting for the next time they would meet again. its a terrible way to love someone....always wondering how the other is but never getting to see them. i wish ennis would get over his discomfort about being gay earlier but i guess its already too late...
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on Apr 25, 2007, 06:51 AM

And since he was a natural optimist he decided to go back and see if there was any hope of rekindling what they'd had - LD had evidently already made it clear that he would pay Jack off if he'd go away, so money wouldn't be much of a problem.


So, if I understand your timeline here, you think he had some ideas of the Sweet Life in, say late '66 or early '67 (the 12 months before the reunion) and that this may be one reason that spurred him on to send a postcard? I think that sounds pretty good. If was thinkin' those thoughts he REALLY must have happy with the reception he got!
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 25, 2007, 06:58 AM
Interesting question, seems so basic it must have been discussed somewhere else but I don't know where. The SS makes it pretty clear in the motel scene when Ennis realizes he "needed" Jack, but it doesn't seem very clear in either SS or film when Jack makes his revelation regarding his idea of the Sweet Life. If Jack had the idea in '63 why did he wait four years (the punch?) or as you say it was just too unproven at that point. Did he hatch the plan while driving up to the Riverton reunion? But at that point he didn't know that Ennis was going have such a "warm" reception for him even though he redlined it - did he come up with this idea quickly in the motel (in the SS) or driving up to the mountains (in the film). I Wonder. . . .

Yes, I tend to agree that Jack's realization probably came much later.  Perhaps the earliest would have been during the scene with the baby and in-laws, where he realized that he was an outsider in his wife's family...

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 25, 2007, 07:00 AM
Jack being Jack, I think he'd have said something or hinted, if not while they were up on the mountain, then after they came down and before they separated in Signal.

I think it came together in his mind once he realised that the Newsomes were never going to accept him, and that he was just a gofer in the short term and the guy who'd provided the Newsome heir, but unimportant in the eyes of LD, his wife and Lureen. Once again, as he'd been in his own family, Jack was the outsider who couldn't feel a sense of being loved and wanted, so he thought back to the time when he did, and realised that it was up on Brokeback with Ennis.

And since he was a natural optimist he fdecided to go back and see if there was any hope of rekindling what they'd had - LD had evidently already made it clear that he would pay Jack off if he'd go away, so money wouldn't be much of a problem. I think finding Ennis with two children must have been a bit of a shock, spcially after the passionate kiss that they'd just shared.

I was just thinking the same thing WW.  Yes, it must have culminated in the realization that the Newsomes would never really accept him.

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 25, 2007, 07:04 AM
it's a possiblility. if ennis hadn't love jack so much, he wouldn't have wanted to keep their relationship going even after so many years, just waiting for the next time they would meet again. its a terrible way to love someone....always wondering how the other is but never getting to see them. i wish ennis would get over his discomfort about being gay earlier but i guess its already too late...

I personally go back and forth as to whether or not Ennis was ever going to change.  The change we see in Ennis in the last scene with Alma Jr. seems to indicate that Ennis was also capable of changing, but I am not sure to what extent, and whether it would have abided a change of heart as far as a shared life with Jack was concerned...

As to Ennis's discomforture, yes, it was already ingrained in him by the time he met Jack.  I don't think he would be able to make it completely go away, but could he have tamed it?

 
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 25, 2007, 07:05 AM
So, if I understand your timeline here, you think he had some ideas of the Sweet Life in, say late '66 or early '67 (the 12 months before the reunion) and that this may be one reason that spurred him on to send a postcard? I think that sounds pretty good. If was thinkin' those thoughts he REALLY must have happy with the reception he got!


He must have been thrilled, if this is true.  What more could he have expected?  :)

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: welshwitch on Apr 25, 2007, 01:17 PM
I assume that LD tried to buy him off if not at the beginning then not long after he'd married Lureen. Once Bobby was born Jack had served his purpose and LD made that clear. So he offered Jack money; clearly at that point Jack wasn't deeply involved in the Newsome business - ranching, herding sheep and rodeoing were what he knew. Ennis was the one he'd shared that summer with - so why not put two and two together and, assuming that Ennis was as little committed to his wife as Jack was to Lureen, give it a try? Money wouldn't just buy them land; it could buy them land somewhere remote where there would be few people to comment on two men ranching together.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: ragtimecowboy on Apr 25, 2007, 09:23 PM
Most good marriages, gay, straight or bi, are usually long lasting and enduring when both partners personalities compliment each other. Jack had a way of bringing Ennis out of his shell as no other person could. Remember the morning after, when they were being spied on, Ennis was as giddy as a school girl and uninhibited with Jack and playfully wrestled with him and planted a big kiss right on him. Jack would have been powerful good for him had he chosen to share his life with him.
I think it would work because they are not really in opposition to one another; rather, then are more complementary.  They seem to cover each other's weaknesses, and with both of them combined, I think they are stronger.

I think a lot of good marriages are based on complementarity, and not similarity, no?


Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: FlwrChild on Apr 25, 2007, 09:29 PM
I think so too. :)
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: aintfoolin on Apr 26, 2007, 07:13 AM
Great post from all you here. 
     
    I can picture their place in my mind, how bout you? Since most think this would work , I'd like to explore this sweet life a little more though, What would each one 's *job* be in this  Marriage/operation/partnership/ranch.  Jack's dream... I see Jack keepin the books in a log cabin home built by them both. Can't picture Ennis Del Mar picking out curtains though. LOL ;D ;D &*&. Paint us a picture  in your own words folks , of what your idea of an *everyday* life on Jack and Ennis's ranch ....Just speculation so please be creative and nice . This is Jack and Ennis place.!!or maybe post a picture showing what your idea of  their place is like ....inside and out...... Can I ask this? I'm fascinated and intrigued by this. Have been since Jack suggested it . Dear Ennis could'nt realize it but...We can. Any takers?
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 26, 2007, 07:44 AM
Most good marriages, gay, straight or bi, are usually long lasting and enduring when both partners personalities compliment each other. Jack had a way of bringing Ennis out of his shell as no other person could. Remember the morning after, when they were being spied on, Ennis was as giddy as a school girl and uninhibited with Jack and playfully wrestled with him and planted a big kiss right on him. Jack would have been powerful good for him had he chosen to share his life with him.

Yes, I actually think that complementary unions are stronger, in the sense that each other's weeknesses are turned to strenghts.  Better bonding, better coverage.  :)

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 26, 2007, 07:48 AM
Great post from all you here. 
     
    I can picture their place in my mind, how bout you? Since most think this would work , I'd like to explore this sweet life a little more though, What would each one 's *job* be in this  Marriage/operation/partnership/ranch.  Jack's dream... I see Jack keepin the books in a log cabin home built by them both. Can't picture Ennis Del Mar picking out curtains though. LOL ;D ;D &*&. Paint us a picture  in your own words folks , of what your idea of an *everyday* life on Jack and Ennis's ranch ....Just speculation so please be creative and nice . This is Jack and Ennis place.!!or maybe post a picture showing what your idea of  their place is like ....inside and out...... Can I ask this? I'm fascinated and intrigued by this. Have been since Jack suggested it . Dear Ennis could'nt realize it but...We can. Any takers?

I remember Jack's bedroom, and think of what could have been.  As in that bedroom, I think of a bed too small to fit both of them, and imagine them sleeping in a closely interlocked embrace.

Austere, but a sweet life nonetheless.

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on Apr 26, 2007, 08:04 AM
I can picture their place in my mind, how bout you? Paint us a picture  in your own words folks, of what your idea of an *everyday* life on Jack and Ennis's ranch .... I'm fascinated and intrigued by this . . . Any takers?

Like Ennis, I ain't so good with words - but here's how I see 'em possibly. They don't have much cash so it's not gonna be a place up in the mountains - way to expensive. But how 'bout a nice factory built home Near the mountains, nuthin' too fancy. Some outbuilding for the animals and equipment, trucks. A few horses for Ennis, a few cattle. Good enough to do some ranching at least for starters. No nosey neighbors for miles, a little intermittant creek near the house, but lots more water up in the mountains where they could go fishin'  ;)

(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi139.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq313%2Fjackster545%2FEnnisJackspread.jpg&hash=54dd4864d08c590eb28f94846f58d205ada00233)
A little ranch together, little cow and calf operation, your horses, it'd be some sweet life . . .

Oh, give me a home where the Buffalo roam
Where the Deer and the Antelope play;
Where never is heard a discouraging word,
And the sky is not clouded all day.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: welshwitch on Apr 26, 2007, 01:22 PM
I love the pic, specially the mountains in the distance. Shows how little I know about ranching, though I've seeen enough ranching country - I always envision them as surrounded by trees,away from prying eyes, I guess.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 27, 2007, 08:02 AM
I do get the feeling that relative isolation would be part of the "sweet life".   I think both of them were desirous of not calling attention to themselves...

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: aintfoolin on Apr 28, 2007, 05:58 PM
Certainly it would have to be an almost islolated  peice of land where they could have privacy. I see a  large grassy area with lots of trees, fenced in of course. A small but decent sized log  style home. Inside would sport a southwesten style ,and  yes must have a fireplace for them to suggle in front of on cold nights., Deer heads? Maybe. Jack would handle he business part, while Ennis works mostly with the animals according to heir gifts in these areas.

Before any of this is realized though Jack would have to find a way to convince Ennis to agree to it . This is where Jack would greatly be helped by the only other person in Ennis's life that he trusts and loves : Alma Jr. and Jenny. Alma Jr. knew about her father and Jack. both his daughers were old enough to remember meeting Jack in the divorce scene and as grown women looking back had to figure this whole thing out. Maybe a long talk with Alma Jr. would go a long way in helping to convince Ennis to quell his fears enough to give it a shot. Knowing he was'nt  gonna loose the love of his girls may have been the key. My veiws.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on Apr 28, 2007, 06:29 PM
This is where Jack would greatly be helped by the only other person in Ennis's life that he trusts and loves: Alma Jr. and Jenny. Alma Jr. knew about her father and Jack. both his daughers were old enough to remember meeting Jack in the divorce scene and as grown women looking back had to figure this whole thing out.

Well here ya' go - Let's make the leap that Junior did figure it all out with Jack long ago (always been my assumption with that "Maybe he's not the marrying kind" remark to Cassie (OT, in other words "you're barking up the wrong tree honey"). Anyway, since Jr. knows 'bout all this and still truly loves her dad she must be pretty "enlightened", so she probably picks a hubby that's pretty cool about this too. If Kurt's a roughneck he must be pretty able in the physical dept. what if Junior convinces Kurt to help Ennis and Jack run the operation as a ranch hand? Junior's probably the only one that's finished High School so she does the books, Jack's in Sales (of course) and Ennis handles the operational (animal and equipment) aspects of the "You Bet Ranch".
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: manhattangirl on Apr 28, 2007, 06:58 PM
I believe Alma, Jr. knew,  Her mother probably told her the whole ugly sordid story, unless she herself grew to understand her ex-husband.   Alma, Jr. was old enough to be told, how she was told doesn't matter, and what she was told didn't matter, a child's  love for a parent is unconditional.   she loved her father,  "May he's not the marrying kind"  is probably the only truthful line in the whole story.

After saying all of this, I too believe they could a have lived and worked together.  It's unconventional and beautiful at the same time, what makes up a family.   
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: aintfoolin on Apr 29, 2007, 05:54 AM
She had to hear Jack's name referred to as the fishing buddy all her young lfe. As young children Jack was there in the picture and all through the picture. ( the divorce scene). As young blossoming young ladies, and teenaged girls they had to remember this  gorgeous guy who beamed that charming smile at them through Ennis's truck window.  That would make an impression on them They'd remember that!!.  He was still the fishing buddy many years later when she is older young lady dealing with Cassie . Knew her dad was'nt "the marrying kind" unless he could have married Jack and been left alone in peace. She had to figure her dad out.  I think Jack would have been easy for her to talk to . To voice her suspicions about her dad to. I felt she was worried about her father and seemed very protective of him wanting to move in and see to him. These trips were not a bunch of guys gettin together to share a fishing cabin for a weekend, this was her father .. and Jack , just Jack, for years .I think she got it. She would fit into their lives as a symbol of acceptance/affirmation for them both.

Jackster, ;D the You Bet ranch??  :8 :8LOL   I luv it. Would their cupboards contain their fav food , BEANS? :cr) :c)please don't get me started.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: welshwitch on Apr 29, 2007, 02:11 PM
Yes, of course it must have been evident to both girls that Ennis had few friends, so Jack, even if only seen briefly and then mentioned, if he was, by their mother or even step-father, must have appeared important in their father's life. I can just see this ranch coming together - if Kurt's a roughneck, he'll be strong and physically fit, no threat to Ennis as Randall with his college education would have been.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on Apr 29, 2007, 07:22 PM
Would their cupboards contain their fav food , BEANS? :cr) :c)please don't get me started.

Oh, why not . . . .
Some frozen Elk steaks in the freezer just to break the monotony, a coupla' mounted trout on the wall along with Jack's rodeo belt buckles. Maybe a mounted sheeps' head in the livin' room (this is Wyoming after all), on second thought they might have to put the sheep in the bedroom, a mounted sheeps head would raise A LOT of questions in Wyoming. Maybe an Elk or coyote for the living room.

Tough question - Where are the shirts?
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: aintfoolin on Apr 30, 2007, 05:16 AM
I suppose Jack would keep a coupla cans of beans on the shelf for Ennis  since he seemed to enjoy them so much, but Jack would have to improve on his can opening skills a little  ( assuming he's ...ahem....cooking. though or they're gonna need alot of kitchen wipes! The elk head in the the livingroom  sounds right , it's so them, but they must have a special place for their keepsakes though. Ennis will probably lock the harmonica away some where and tell Jack it finally broke into. :-X  ;D :8 :clap: Jack's rodeo buckles  of course must be displayed so there has to be a den. Maybe a small office on the lower floor so that family and freinds (hopefully) will be able to see them. Wow ! I just realized that Jack  has alot of *stuff* to display! He must have kept these things. Postcards and such, and of course he'd have alot more clothing than Ennis.

 Ah, the shirts. These are not just any shirts. First of all, they are never to be washed or manipulated in any way. They will continue to hang , not folded and put away. Where they will hang?...Well that is a tough question  I don't think they'd want them displayed out in the open or would they? Something with so much sacred history must have it's own special space. I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin... Hmm?
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on Apr 30, 2007, 12:05 PM
Tough question - Where are the shirts?

Another tough question, this maybe should be it's own thread:

If Jack had lived and they had been able to come together in The Sweet Life,

How would Jack tell Ennis about the shirts?

What would he say?
What would be his explanation?

Any ideas?
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lamusica on Apr 30, 2007, 05:38 PM
For some reason, I don't think Jack would have shown them to Ennis -- at least not at that time.  I think he would have found a place to hide them, but would have kept them safe and visited them when he had the need to do so.  Maybe years down the road, if Ennis ever opened up and admitted to Jack how he felt about him, Jack may have shared the shirts, knkowing then that Ennis would prize them, also.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: manhattangirl on May 01, 2007, 06:31 AM
For some reason, I don't think Jack would have shown them to Ennis -- at least not at that time.  I think he would have found a place to hide them, but would have kept them safe and visited them when he had the need to do so.  Maybe years down the road, if Ennis ever opened up and admitted to Jack how he felt about him, Jack may have shared the shirts, knkowing then that Ennis would prize them, also.

I agree.   Maybe later he would have shown him the shirst, but not now, no need to,  Ennis was there.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on May 01, 2007, 06:53 AM
Another tough question, this maybe should be it's own thread:

If Jack had lived and they had been able to come together in The Sweet Life,

How would Jack tell Ennis about the shirts?

What would he say?
What would be his explanation?

Any ideas?

I suspect he still would have kept them secret, or have not tried to tell Ennis. 

But if Ennis discovered them by accident, I don't think it would have been problematic.  It would have probably increased his love for Jack.

I would even think that Ennis would not tell Jack that he discovered the shirts.  IT would become an open secret.




Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: welshwitch on May 01, 2007, 02:06 PM
After all these heads on walls and displays of assorted memorabilia, I begin to think that the sweet life would need to involve a decorator, and possibly a de-clutterer. Couldn't they be a bit more minimalist?

Oh, and if Jack's cooking, would it be quiche?
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lamusica on May 01, 2007, 04:31 PM
LOL
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on May 02, 2007, 07:56 AM
After all these heads on walls and displays of assorted memorabilia, I begin to think that the sweet life would need to involve a decorator, and possibly a de-clutterer. Couldn't they be a bit more minimalist?

Oh, and if Jack's cooking, would it be quiche?

In the sweet life, I see Ennis cooking and Jack helping out with the can opener.

Kidding aside, I think the shirts marks a milestone in their relationship.  That was why Jack kept it.  He would not have disposed of it, even if he had gotten the life he had wanted.  And Ennis discovering them after Jack's death is made ever more poigniant, because it probably signified the "sweet life" of togetherness till death.

 
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lamusica on May 02, 2007, 06:26 PM
... and after.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on May 03, 2007, 07:36 AM
... and after.

It was a promise.  :)

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: welshwitch on May 03, 2007, 11:52 AM
I sometimes wonder if the reason Ennis resisted the idea of the sweet life was also because in a way it meant taking an irrevocable step, cutting all his ties and committing entirely to another person. I can see Jack doing that without a second thought, but not Ennis. I thionk there's a sense in which though he wasn't happy he could cope better on his own.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lamusica on May 03, 2007, 03:35 PM
I think when he got married, Ennis thought he would be having the sweet life with Alma.  It wasn't until later when reality entered and he realized life was hard and wasn't going to get any easier, and Jack returned, that he realized he wasn't leading the sweet life after all.  Perhaps, as he tells Alma when she asks why he doesn't remarry, "Once bitten....".  He may have just figured... Well, things didn't work out too swift with Alma, why should I expect them to work out any better with Jack?  His marriage with Alma may have been an added element that kept him saying "NO" to Jack as more years went by ( and NO to Cassie).
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on May 03, 2007, 04:20 PM
I think when he got married, Ennis thought he would be having the sweet life with Alma.  It wasn't until later when reality entered . . . .

Yes, lamusica, indeed I think he thought Alma would "cure" him of Jack. But as he told Jack in the motel in '67, by the next summer ('64 I guess) he realized Alma wasn't Jack, the "backdoor" sex nothwithstanding. I'd guess that his comment to Alma a few years later "I'll be happy to leave you alone" meant he didn't really enjoy it much with Alma and looked forward to "the brilliant charge of their infrequent couplings" with Jack. IMO he didn't like hetero sex, and couldn't bring himself to continue the charade with Cassie, he didn't want to hurt her. At the same time he liked sex with Jack, but couldn't bring himself to consent to a male relationship even though he didn't want to hurt Jack either (but of course did, just like Cassie). My reading is that he didn't actully make the connection of the two different (failed) relationships, but it is an interesting point that is worth consideration.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: aintfoolin on May 04, 2007, 07:25 AM
I agree. We can equate Ennis's treatment of Jack with his treatment of Cassie. He could'nt *carry through* on the expectations of either. In a way they were led to beleive one thing , then as time goes by Ennis withdraws from the relationship. He was dealing with two head strong idividuals who happened to approach him.  Jack at least waited until he knew Ennis felt the same for him, showing patience. Cassie , I beleive was looking for a husband imo.  Thought she'd found her cowboy with Ennis.  She was very forceful in her approach from the start.  Too late. Jack was way ahead of her in the game for Ennis's heart anyway. This  is why he dropped her like he did . Jack already owned Ennis's heart, He was there even before Alma. Yeah he tried to banish those feelings for Jack (cure) but only being with Jack was the remedy. Held captivated totally by one Jack. Ennis is a *loner* in love.
 Obviously Ennis enjoyed sex with Jack  over Alma. I think he had a bond with Jack that superceded these women, Alma and Cassie.  He preferred sex with him  another man. I must add that  it was'nt just the sex though that Ennis found attractive about Jack. Aside from being gorgeous, Jack liked masculine  guys, imo and was masculine  himself. . I think Ennis had the perfect combination in Jack . He was down to earth , easygoing to the point of being kinda goofy & funny,  masculine in every way,and  could charm the most introverted person to the surface. Above all he was a friend. I don't think Ennis  had this with Alma...or Cassie . Perhaps  Ennis just wants to be left alone to love Jack ... it's when he's truly happy.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on May 04, 2007, 07:45 AM
A wonderful exchange here... I love particularly the suggestion that Ennis mistook his marriage with Alma for the sweet life.  I would assume Jack's marriage to Lureen was also an attempt made along similar lines.

I guess both of them really had the desire to find and live such a life, and it is interesting to note that their initial idea of it predicated that they be integrated with society at large.  This is of course the missing ingredient, if Ennis and Jack were to try to live a life together -- they could never really live openly and be a part of the larger community, or so they thought.

This is even more interesting when we note that Ennis never really seemed to relish contact with the larger community anyway.  Jack seemed to have been more adept at it, joining his wife in various community social events, it would seem.  One would think that Jack would have the greater problem, but this was not the case.

The social dimension together with or as opposed to the "sweet life": I think this should be investigated more.  How important was the social dimension for both of them?  Was it really that important to them?  The solution of Forster at the end of "Maurice" was to disappear into the woods and live the sweet life.  Is this rather naive?  Have they ever considered it?



Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: welshwitch on May 04, 2007, 01:32 PM
Jack copes with the social scene more easily than Ennis because he's more of an actor. Ennis can't dissimulate to save his life. Jack remains married to Lureen at least partly because he plays the part - of husband, family man, salesman. Ennis finds it difficult and in the end impossible with Alma just as he later does with Cassie.

I have a niggling feeling that attractive as it might seem to them to go off into the wilderness ( American mythology there) or light out for the territories in Twain's phrase, the great expanses that seem to offer freedom are no longer the expansive frontier of the past - by the late 70s or early 80s it would be hard to find  real isolation. And even if they did, Ennis might handle it, but I can't help wondering if Jack, with his restless nature, might eventually tire of isolation.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lamusica on May 04, 2007, 07:08 PM
Although Jack often goes out among the people, jh never seems happy.  In every scene where he is with Lureen, we get a peek at his very solemn, sad face.  I'm not sure Jack is any more social than Ennis, but as you say, WW, he is a much better dissembler.  He can convince others he is one of the boys -- happy with his life, son, life.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: welshwitch on May 06, 2007, 01:17 PM
I have a feeling too that Jack is one of those people who's often able to live in the moment - eg when he's with Bobby and letting him drive the tractor ( or whatever it is) he looks totally absorbed in that and quite happy. Or maybe the easiest way to deal with the lack of Ennis is to get on with time-passing activities until he can get away again.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: aintfoolin on May 07, 2007, 01:25 AM
So it begs the question. Which is worse for Jack ? Being isolated from society with Ennis? or isolated from Ennis to interact with society. IMO Jack's personality says he needs people around. He's always had people around him . His parents, rodeoing and approaching people in bars  as opposed to waiting to be approached,( except with Lureen)  as well as being an excellent salesman in business deals speaks to this He's more a *peopleperson*  imo.  Ennis is just the opposite desiring to live one step above a hermit, restrained and bashful. Did'nt give two sh-ts if he ever had to deal with social gatherings ever.  Yes, it came easy indeed for Jack to play the part with Lureen and her social obligations but was he truly happy doing it?  Don't think so. On the other hand living out in the middle of nowhere can be stifling for him also.  Did'nt need a ton of freinds, but 3 or 4 could'nt hurt. I think he just wanted to be with Ennis ,shack or mansion, as long as Ennis was there. he'd already lived in both so  , Jack was happy  whenever and whereever  he and Ennis were together, so I tend to lean toward the latter, living a quiet, private life with Ennis. To live with Ennis?  if this is what it took, so be it . He would've sacrificed anything to live a sweet life with him.  I mean the man had the money, a decent job, a son and wife. What more could he ask for? You guessed it, Ennis. The life he wanted in reality.  Jack was willing  to give it all up to be with Ennis. This is true love if it ever existed.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on May 07, 2007, 07:58 AM
Although Jack often goes out among the people, jh never seems happy.  In every scene where he is with Lureen, we get a peek at his very solemn, sad face.  I'm not sure Jack is any more social than Ennis, but as you say, WW, he is a much better dissembler.  He can convince others he is one of the boys -- happy with his life, son, life.

I agree with both of you.  I think I had also just said this in another one of my posts for today.  Jack is indeed a great dissembler.  In many ways, it helped him cope with Ennis and the life he led under the shadow of his wife and her family.


How could he have done this after all those years of frustration and heartache?  I suspect it was the dream of the sweet life that kept him going.  Without it, perhaps there would have been no point at dissembling.


Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: Forever on Apr 23, 2012, 10:00 AM
I had wondered if up on Brokeback in 63, Jack already had a vision of a shared life together. 

I think that it porbably was not yet well formed in him. 

At that point in time, I think both of them resigned themselves to this being a one-shot thing, as Ennis already had othwer plans.  It seemed to me that only after 4 years of separation that Jack realized that he wanted a life with Ennis, and by that time, things had gone too far in the other direction, as far as Alma and Lureen are concerned...



The realization of the sweet life came for Jack earlier imo, the next summer, because he did return to Aguirre the next summer. But Ennis didn't show up. Maybe Jack thought at that point that Ennis didn't love him, and he move to Texas. What Jack didn't know was the child trauma of Ennis, what he didn't know is that he was deeply loved by Ennis, and this is the tragedy of BBM. If Jack had known that, he would have contact Ennis earlier.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: tpe on Apr 26, 2012, 08:45 PM
The realization of the sweet life came for Jack earlier imo, the next summer, because he did return to Aguirre the next summer. But Ennis didn't show up. Maybe Jack thought at that point that Ennis didn't love him, and he move to Texas. What Jack didn't know was the child trauma of Ennis, what he didn't know is that he was deeply loved by Ennis, and this is the tragedy of BBM. If Jack had known that, he would have contact Ennis earlier.

For me, this is plausible.  But I agree totally that the vision of Sweet Life came much earlier for Jack than for Ennis.  I doubt that Ennis had such a vision before the reunion 4 years after they parted.  He probably would never have dreamed it a possibility, the way Jack did.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: FlwrChild on Apr 30, 2012, 10:03 AM
Very good points. One wonders when Ennis tells Jack during that four year reunion (in the short story)  about the stomach cramps he'd had at the end of their summer on Brokeback and says:

"Took me about a year to figure out it was that I shouldn't a let you out a my sights." just what he thought they could have done if he'd chosen differently. Because by the time of the reunion, he has a wife and two kids which is presumably why he says "Too late then by a long, long while." But had he not let Jack out of his sights, what then? Ennis shows all through the story that he doesn't believe two men can live together. But in that one moment, there's almost a sense that somewhere deep inside he had enough hope, enough strength of affection and attachment, to imagine that there might have been something for them if they'd taken the chance.

Of course, it's possible that it's one of those things that is easy to say in hindsight but he never would have been able to carry through if the chance arose. Still, it makes me wonder...





As to Jack being social and needing other people, I'm not so sure. He was certainly capable of being social but I think a lot of that was an effort to find something/someone to hold onto or belong to or to do what he had to do to fit in and make his way in the world. I tend to think that he might have been just as happy as Ennis to be out in the middle of nowhere on their own for the most part. Though I agree that a few friends would be necessary. I think even Ennis would need to interact with someone else, just because that much isolation wouldn't be good for anyone. Sigh, I would love to have been their friend if they were my neighbors...
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: Forever on May 02, 2012, 06:03 PM
Very good points. One wonders when Ennis tells Jack during that four year reunion (in the short story)  about the stomach cramps he'd had at the end of their summer on Brokeback and says:

"Took me about a year to figure out it was that I shouldn't a let you out a my sights." just what he thought they could have done if he'd chosen differently. Because by the time of the reunion, he has a wife and two kids which is presumably why he says "Too late then by a long, long while." But had he not let Jack out of his sights, what then? Ennis shows all through the story that he doesn't believe two men can live together. But in that one moment, there's almost a sense that somewhere deep inside he had enough hope, enough strength of affection and attachment, to imagine that there might have been something for them if they'd taken the chance.

Of course, it's possible that it's one of those things that is easy to say in hindsight but he never would have been able to carry through if the chance arose. Still, it makes me wonder...





As to Jack being social and needing other people, I'm not so sure. He was certainly capable of being social but I think a lot of that was an effort to find something/someone to hold onto or belong to or to do what he had to do to fit in and make his way in the world. I tend to think that he might have been just as happy as Ennis to be out in the middle of nowhere on their own for the most part. Though I agree that a few friends would be necessary. I think even Ennis would need to interact with someone else, just because that much isolation wouldn't be good for anyone. Sigh, I would love to have been their friend if they were my neighbors...

I disagree 100% when you said that Jack was happy with the few meetings annually in the middle of nowhere. For 20 years he tried to convince Ennis to share a full life together, rightly because he was a very social person! The last confrontation with Ennis was all about this: He was just fed up of this unsatisfactory situation. Jack was the social and the modern one, was he really a dreamer? I'm not sure, after all Earl and Rich shared a life together, even though Rich end up tragically, they did have a full life together, they were pioneers because they were fearless, they didn't care to be the joke of the town. Jack, because he loved Ennis so much understood this fear and sacrifice his wish for a sweet life.  :-\\ 
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: FlwrChild on May 02, 2012, 06:31 PM
I'm sorry, Forever, I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean that Jack was happy "getting together every once in a while out in the middle of nowhere." Certainly not. As you said, that was his biggest frustration in life - that Ennis couldn't bring himself to take the same chance as Earl and Rich and make that "Sweet life" a reality.

What I meant was that I think Jack could have been happy with the very sweet life he proposed to Ennis - a little cow and calf operation, something like that. That he didn't need to be in a metropolitan area or surrounded by a lot of other people to be happy. I think that he had it in him to be social but I believe, based on what we saw of him in the movie, that he didn't have a big need to be. I think a quiet life with Ennis would have suited him just fine. And of course as I said, I think even Ennis would have needed a few friends and neighbors. We all do. Even the people who are introverts by nature. Everyone wants to feel like he/she belongs somewhere. And no one wants to be completely isolated. Had Ennis taken a chance and agreed to try for that life with Jack, I think they both could have been content with the kind of life that a profession like that would have dictated.

Sorry for the confusion!
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: Forever on May 08, 2012, 04:44 PM
I'm sorry, Forever, I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean that Jack was happy "getting together every once in a while out in the middle of nowhere." Certainly not. As you said, that was his biggest frustration in life - that Ennis couldn't bring himself to take the same chance as Earl and Rich and make that "Sweet life" a reality.

What I meant was that I think Jack could have been happy with the very sweet life he proposed to Ennis - a little cow and calf operation, something like that. That he didn't need to be in a metropolitan area or surrounded by a lot of other people to be happy. I think that he had it in him to be social but I believe, based on what we saw of him in the movie, that he didn't have a big need to be. I think a quiet life with Ennis would have suited him just fine. And of course as I said, I think even Ennis would have needed a few friends and neighbors. We all do. Even the people who are introverts by nature. Everyone wants to feel like he/she belongs somewhere. And no one wants to be completely isolated. Had Ennis taken a chance and agreed to try for that life with Jack, I think they both could have been content with the kind of life that a profession like that would have dictated.

Sorry for the confusion!

Sorry for the confusion too FlowerChild, now I get it! I didn't read all the post before so I missed the context a little bit! I'm sure if Jack would have succeed to have the sweet life with Ennis, he would have been so happy that I'm sure he would have preferred to be 100% with his love, even if it means stay at home, rather than socialize with the community! For Jack, Ennis was the only 'thing' he needed, wanted  ;)  
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lancecowboy on May 09, 2012, 03:28 AM
Interesting discussion. Thanks for starting it up again Forever.

I think Jack knew, fairly early in the summer, that he didn't want to let Ennis out of his sight. He certainly knew by the end of the summer. That's the reason for the tears, and stealing the shirt.

It took Ennis a bit longer to get in touch with his own feelings, being closed up tight and all. It took him a year to figure out what Jack knew, but it would take longer for him to figure out what to do with 'em feelings.

Jack knew, and wanted the sweet life. He was lonely, always, even with people all around him, even with Lureen dancing in his arms, looking lovingly at him. He gave his heart to Ennis back on the mountain. That's the point of their love...the two lonely cowboys met and fitted together like two gloves...one quiet and enjoyed solitude when he had to, the other liked the sound of his own voice to chase away the loneliness. They found friendship when none was expected. Jack knew, like one of 'em lucky ones, that Ennis was the one...

Ennis was so out of touch with his own feelings, having 'em locked away in his secret hiding place, and lost the key after so many years. FNIT was like a dream, being drunk and all. SNIT was the first time when he went looking...staring into the fire and remembering the combination, the road back into the fortress that he built, so many years ago. It is the reason why SNIT is so much more passionate and romantic, to me. That was the first time when the real Ennis came out to play. You can see the surprise in Jack's face...Ennis ain't no quiet shy cowboy. Like Aaron in Latter Days, 'em repressed shy quiet ones are the ones that will scream and holler and knock the walls down once they release the flood of emotions penned up all 'em years.

Jack wanted more; Ennis was afraid to give, to live the sweet life. He didn't know what he was missing until it was too late. That's the quality in Jack which Ennis loved most...the visionary seeing what was possible...the bluebirds singing next to whiskey springs. Jack wanted to stay near the camp...Ennis switched. Jack wanted more than beans...Ennis shot that elk. Jack wanted some place warm...Ennis got Don Wroe's cabin. The one thing that Ennis could not give to Jack, was the sweet life, because Ennis didn't think he had it in him to give that much. It's the proverbial cold feed before a wedding; it's the fear of being victims of homophobia; it's the frightful uncertainty of the unknown.

Jack saw it clear as day, just the two of 'em away from everything, in the furthest most isolated corner of Wyoming. In a ranch away from everyone, just the two of them, and the cows and calves. Well, and Jack's Ma and Pa. Jack knew he got his Ma wrapped around his finger, and he figured with Ennis's help, they could fix up the ranch real good. His Pa would be impressed with Ennis, and the money coming in from the cow and calf business will help to change his mind about two guys living together.

In a way, the practical Ennis was likely thinking ahead, knowing this thing with no rein, living under the same roof with Jack's Ma and Pa, just ain't going to happen. Imagine 'em two locking lips the first night in Jack's room, with the walls paper thin. "No, Jack. We just can't." The self-disciplined stoic Ennis closed up tight like a clenched fist. It must have been terrifying to have this thing with no rein, threatening to expose him to all the world....that's really as much to fear, for Ennis, as the violence from homophobia. To lose control is to lose himself.

Sweet life? It would be a horrible life living a lie under the same roof with Jack's parents, one he loves, and the other he desperately wanted to be loved. No, Jack. What we got, is all we can have. Take it or leave it Jack.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: Forever on May 09, 2012, 11:14 AM
You're welcome Lance! Impressive insight, never thought to become a writer? If only English was my mother language I could compete with you! But in that case I will not because I agree with what you just wrote! And I'm very glad that you're so sweet with my Jack! Yes I confess I am Jack's girl, but I do love Ennis too!  ;)
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lancecowboy on May 10, 2012, 02:15 AM
You're welcome Lance! Impressive insight, never thought to become a writer? If only English was my mother language I could compete with you! But in that case I will not because I agree with what you just wrote! And I'm very glad that you're so sweet with my Jack! Yes I confess I am Jack's girl, but I do love Ennis too!  ;)

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I have thought of becoming a writer, or at least, becoming a published professional writer. I already do a lot of writing.  :) ::) I got my start right here in this forum, this valley of love and friendship. No need to even think about your English being a second language. It's not a competition to a race, but a cooperative exploration of the landscape of love. As I said a couple posts ago, thank you for starting up this idle thread again, and inspiring a great discussion. Anything you find impressive in my posts, you can be sure they came from the movie, from this forum, from your inspiring reaction to the film. It's interesting, but it just occurred to me, from the way you said, "I am Jack's girl." that there are probably a lot more female fans of Jack than there are male fans of Jack. But perhaps I over-generalize. Then again, I know many who would not say they are Ennis's guy, but would secretly rejoice if it were the case. Yes, "I am Ennis's guy." This Kurt, does he love you?

Yes, Ennis, I love you.  :(

I better get outta here before I fall into PBS, again.  :h:
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: Forever on May 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
Inspiring me? How sweet of you Lance!  :^^) For me, this forum is a blessing, I have learned so many things because of you dear Brokies... You can't imagine how I'm thankful, my English was a mess before I met you guys, and because of you I want to learn more and more, yes, French is my mother language, I can speak Dutch fluently although I never felt attracted to this language, but English god! I can remember I was crazy about English when I was a teenager at school! I went to England in a family for one month when I was 16 years old, it was magical moments, unforgettable moments, I knew then somehow that it's exactly what I wanted, live in a foreign country!
I wonder why I didn't persist my study in English when I was younger... My best friend went 2 years in an University in Seattle, I was 20, she wanted me to come, to join her... but the ticket was so expensive, and when she came back, I was so jealous! she could speak English so well! Regrets... and then I met this handsome Dutch guy... Because of you and because of this forum I feel alive again, because I'm passionate about BBM I want to improve my English everyday, because I want you to be proud of me... So thank you so much for that!  :) But now I realize that I am completely  *o)  ~)   
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lancecowboy on May 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Forever, you do indeed inspire. It is not from answers that we take a step higher into new understanding, but questions. From questions, we see through difference eyes, and find unexpected answers. I always thought Jack never told Ennis about the ranch in Lightning Flats, about fixing it up, the two of them. After all, what excuses would Ennis have to turn down such a sweet offer, the sweet life? A lonely ranch in the most isolated part of Wyoming, indeed, of the country? Then the discussion led to Jack's Pa and Ma, and it's obvious. I bet Jack talked with Ennis about this many a times when they met. I bet Jack kept telling Ennis that he talked about it with his Pa, too. That changes the meaning of Ennis's stubborn refusal to a whole new level, and makes sense of Jack's outburst at the Final Confrontation. It wasn't a sudden uncharacteristic outburst, but the end of Jack's patience, after explaining and pleading for years and years.

Thank you for sharing your history, and I am sure your brush with the Sweet Life in England, and with your Dutch fellow, fuel your love for Brokeback Mountain. Sometimes, we don't get to decide on Sweet Life. Fate's circumstances decide for us. No regrets, Forever, because you are the person you are today, and we don't know what you would be like if you had indeed gone to Seattle, etc. Would you trade the passion you feel for Brokeback Mountain, for a better command of the English language? Then again, who is to say how life's twists and turns will change us? It's a pointless endless maze of what if, could've been that traps us into a past that never was.  The life we have today is good. The life we make of it for tomorrow is sweeter still.

Always remember the motto of the forum printed in the banner above. "Born of their love. Forever bound by ours."  :^^) :c)

Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: FlwrChild on May 22, 2012, 07:07 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure what I think about what Jack told Ennis about his parents' place. I believe that he used to tell his dad they'd be coming up someday to fix things up. I'm not sure if I think he shared that idea with Ennis. And I always believed that it was his ultimate goal to find a place for just the two of them where they could build their own operation. Nothing fancy, just enough to get by. Did he throw the idea out every now and then on those camping trips? Or was he waiting, always waiting for a sign that it would be ok to broach the subject but never getting the chance because at the first hint of such talk Ennis shut it down and deflected to other topics? We'll never know of course. Those trips are filled with private moments that they didn't share even with us. We know that they maintained their passion through all those years, we know they camped out, more often than not in the cold by Jack's remarks. And we know they took the horses with them and made small talk of various kinds, most likely to distract them from thinking of their inevitable parting and to avoid having to address the only real conflict they ever seemed to have - that dang sweet life dispute. And I do think it was an uncharacteristic outburst on Jack's part. Annie Proulx described their confrontation as years of things unsaid rising around them. For some people that's the start of finding solutions to their conflicts. That Jack and Ennis merely brought things back to where they'd always been indicates a knowledge on the part of both men that there was no other solution than the one they'd been living all those years - getting together once in a while out in the middle of nowhere. Because Ennis couldn't bring himself to believe in the possibility of anything more and neither could let go of those few precious moments spent together each year. Sigh...
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: chowhound on May 23, 2012, 04:22 PM
The back story to Jack, Ennis and OMT is undoubtedly intriguing. When, for instance, did Jack first make this suggestion to his father that he and Ennis could move there, build a cabin and sort the place out?

Maybe it wasn't in the early stages of his relationship with Ennis but later on. In the short story, Jack's mother says "he [Jack] used to come home every year, even after he was married and down in Texas, and help his daddy on the ranch for a week, fix the gates and mow and all." It may have been that when more of his time was demanded by OMT that Jack fended off these demands by suggesting that at some point he could move up to the ranch with Ennis, something which obviously never came about. Personally, I wonder whether all of this wasn't one of Jack's day dreams which even he might have recognized was unlikely to ever be realized.

I can't see Ennis even considering such a suggestion given Ennis's deep seated fear of anyone knowing about them. Moving in with Jack under the watchful eye of OMT would, I think, be the last thing that Ennis would agree to.

I therefore think it's unlikely that Jack ever mentioned this scheme to Ennis - or, if he did, was told "no way" in no uncertain terms. But he may have continued to say it to his father as a way of answering his nagging demands for more assistance around the ranch. 
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on May 24, 2012, 04:01 PM
These great posts pose some intriguing possibilities . . .  and seemingly endless questions . . .

'Ennis del Mar,' he used a say, `I'm goin a bring him up here one a these days and we'll lick this damn ranch into shape.' He had some half baked idea the two a you was goin a move up here, build a log cabin, and help me run this ranch and bring it up.

I tend to agree with you CH, that this was probably well into the relationship with Ennis when Jack mentioned this to Ma an' Pa. If Jack came up to Wyoming every year to "fish" or sum other four-letter activities with Ennis, then went to visit Ma an' Pa, this would seem like a logical extension of his visit north - "Yeah, I'm goin' fishin' with Ennis and will be over to see you when we come down from the mountains".

"I know where Brokeback Mountain is" his Pa said to Ennis - per AP they never went back to Brokeback, always headed to other locations. So how did Pa happen to focus on this? It must simply be because Jack ask to have the ashes go there, as this would not have been one of the spots for their fishin' trips. So it doesn't seem like it would have come up, of course Jack as a young man had probably mentioned it after his first ('62) and then second ('63) summer up there when we know he afterwards headed over to help his daddy. Does seem a little remarkable that Pa would have recalled this location so many years later.

On the question of when, or if, Jack ever posed the question to Ennis 'bout settin' up something at Lightin' Flat - seems like it could go two ways:

"Listen. I'm thinkin, tell you what, if you and me had a little ranch together, little cow and calf operation, your horses, it'd be some sweet life. Like I said, I'm gettin out a rodeo. . . . . I got it figured, got this plan Ennis, how we can do it, you and me. Lureen's old man, you bet he'd give me a bunch if I'd get lost. Already more or less said it_"

This was 1967, seems to me that Jack was already thinkin' Lightin' Flat here (it was already clear to him he needed an alternative to Childress), - easin' his folks out and settin' something up where he had an "in", knew the lay of the land, and which was "way out in the middle a' nowhere". 'Course Ennis put the kibosh on this even before Jack could elaborate his scheme. But following this thinking, Jack would have not necessarily discussed it in any more detail with Ennis, thinking he could sell Ennis on it in time. But he could have laid out some vague schemes to Ma an' Pa' over the years just to gauge the old man's reaction to having them come help him (and in Jack's thinking eventually push them out of the picture). This would have been a pretty attractive fantasy for Jack I'd guess, one that he could focus on for years as we all do. One that has both Ennis and OMT seeing things Jack's way and turning into the Sweet Life for Jack and Ennis.

Alternatively he might have presented the idea to Ennis on several occasions, in different ways. But of course in the Final Argument in response to Ennis' question "You got a better idea? Jack responds "I did once". This would make me think that he never breached the subject with Ennis again. Which of course is one of the frustrating tragedies of the epic, why the f*** not? If Jack is such a good salesman why didn't he keep trying to subtly convince Ennis there was a way to do this? I personally think Ennis might of been persuaded to do the Lighting Flat move if Jack had laid out a "safe-house" type scheme for Ennis, one where Ennis could keep up the "straight-man" front but still be able to work (and play) with Jack "out in the middle of nowhere" under the pretext of "bringing up" the old Twist Ranch once again. Maybe Jack could have even taken Ennis over there to see the lay of the land an' all. But, Ennis's homophobia is such he's unable to take even this little step in understanding or recognizing his own desires and possibilities, and Jack seems afraid or unable to push him. I guess this is part of the point AP is trying to make, Ennis was so frozen by his fear, unable to move forward, unable to recognize himself in the mirror. At least until he goes into, and then comes out of, Jack's closet at Lightin' Flat (IMHO).


Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: chowhound on May 25, 2012, 04:23 PM
These great posts pose some intriguing possibilities . . .  and seemingly endless questions . . .

'Ennis del Mar,' he used a say, `I'm goin a bring him up here one a these days and we'll lick this damn ranch into shape.' He had some half baked idea the two a you was goin a move up here, build a log cabin, and help me run this ranch and bring it up.

I tend to agree with you CH, that this was probably well into the relationship with Ennis when Jack mentioned this to Ma an' Pa. If Jack came up to Wyoming every year to "fish" or sum other four-letter activities with Ennis, then went to visit Ma an' Pa, this would seem like a logical extension of his visit north - "Yeah, I'm goin' fishin' with Ennis and will be over to see you when we come down from the mountains".

"I know where Brokeback Mountain is" his Pa said to Ennis - per AP they never went back to Brokeback, always headed to other locations. So how did Pa happen to focus on this? It must simply be because Jack ask to have the ashes go there, as this would not have been one of the spots for their fishin' trips. So it doesn't seem like it would have come up, of course Jack as a young man had probably mentioned it after his first ('62) and then second ('63) summer up there when we know he afterwards headed over to help his daddy. Does seem a little remarkable that Pa would have recalled this location so many years later.

On the question of when, or if, Jack ever posed the question to Ennis 'bout settin' up something at Lightin' Flat - seems like it could go two ways:

"Listen. I'm thinkin, tell you what, if you and me had a little ranch together, little cow and calf operation, your horses, it'd be some sweet life. Like I said, I'm gettin out a rodeo. . . . . I got it figured, got this plan Ennis, how we can do it, you and me. Lureen's old man, you bet he'd give me a bunch if I'd get lost. Already more or less said it_"

This was 1967, seems to me that Jack was already thinkin' Lightin' Flat here (it was already clear to him he needed an alternative to Childress), - easin' his folks out and settin' something up where he had an "in", knew the lay of the land, and which was "way out in the middle a' nowhere". 'Course Ennis put the kibosh on this even before Jack could elaborate his scheme. But following this thinking, Jack would have not necessarily discussed it in any more detail with Ennis, thinking he could sell Ennis on it in time. But he could have laid out some vague schemes to Ma an' Pa' over the years just to gauge the old man's reaction to having them come help him (and in Jack's thinking eventually push them out of the picture). This would have been a pretty attractive fantasy for Jack I'd guess, one that he could focus on for years as we all do. One that has both Ennis and OMT seeing things Jack's way and turning into the Sweet Life for Jack and Ennis.

Alternatively he might have presented the idea to Ennis on several occasions, in different ways. But of course in the Final Argument in response to Ennis' question "You got a better idea? Jack responds "I did once". This would make me think that he never breached the subject with Ennis again. Which of course is one of the frustrating tragedies of the epic, why the f*** not? If Jack is such a good salesman why didn't he keep trying to subtly convince Ennis there was a way to do this? I personally think Ennis might of been persuaded to do the Lighting Flat move if Jack had laid out a "safe-house" type scheme for Ennis, one where Ennis could keep up the "straight-man" front but still be able to work (and play) with Jack "out in the middle of nowhere" under the pretext of "bringing up" the old Twist Ranch once again. Maybe Jack could have even taken Ennis over there to see the lay of the land an' all. But, Ennis's homophobia is such he's unable to take even this little step in understanding or recognizing his own desires and possibilities, and Jack seems afraid or unable to push him. I guess this is part of the point AP is trying to make, Ennis was so frozen by his fear, unable to move forward, unable to recognize himself in the mirror. At least until he goes into, and then comes out of, Jack's closet at Lightin' Flat (IMHO).




Some very interesting and thought provoking speculations, Jackster, on some ways in which Jack could have at least imagined the "sweet life" with Ennis might be achieved.

As Brokeback Mountain is an imaginary mountain situated amongst named places in Wyoming, we don't know where in Wyoming Brokeback Mountain is supposed to be. So maybe OMT knew where Brokeback Mountain was because it wasn't too far from Lightning Flat. However, I'm afraid I don't know the topography of Wyoming to say how far you'd have to travel from Lighning Flat to get to mountains but maybe somebody on this board does. All I know is that Jack needed a car to get there and Ennis had to hitchhike

Of course Jack had spent the previous summer there and would no doubt have talked to his parents about Brokeback after leaving it that summer. And Mrs. Twist certainly has enough knowledge of where it was to get a message to Jack that his (probably) gay uncle Harold,  Mrs Twist's brother, was ill in hospital with pneumonia. So I'm not surprised that OMT says he knows where Brokeback is.

I enjoyed reading your speculation that the  taking over of the Twist ranch with Ennis might have been one way that Jack envisaged the realization of his dream of a sweet life, especially if Mr and Mrs Twist retired somewhere else. It's something that has never occurred to me before but now I see it as a real possibility. However, that "once" from the Final Confrontation  suggests to me that, even if Jack had given this proposal some serious thought, these are thoughts he'd never really conveyed to Ennis.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on May 25, 2012, 08:23 PM
Hey CH hope you’re doin’ well –

Some Wyoming geography and other stuff. ‘Bout all we know of the location of the fictional BBM I think is laid-out here in the SS when Ennis goes lookin’ for a postcard at Higgins gift shop:

   "Scene a Brokeback Mountain." (Ennis)

   "Over in Fremont County?" (Linda)

   "No, north a here." (Ennis)


So, north of Fremont County would be either Hot Springs County (unlikely I think, too flat) or Park County or Big Horn County. A good spot to see where these are located and to compare their geography is:

http://geology.com/state-map/wyoming.shtml (http://geology.com/state-map/wyoming.shtml)

Lighting Flat is in Campbell County over in eastern WY and up at the north end of it near the Montana border. Quite a ways from either Park or Big Horn counties. Now, OMT could have been familiar with the territory over there to the west, but he doesn’t seem like the kind who would be reaching out to learn about places that are outside of his world (IMO). So I personally think his reference here a more metaphorical one, equating Brokeback Mountain with a state of debauchery that he felt Jack engaged in there. That seems to me a logical explanation as to why he may have said what he did in the way that he did (e.g. "I know what sin is"). Resentful that Jack wanted his ashes to go there (with it’s evil overtones) rather than the more simple and morally clean family plot. Whata’ you think?

But, you really threw sumthin’ out here that I NEVER thought of and I guess that I need a little explanation for – “his (probably) gay uncle Harold” - In the immortal word of Ennis Del Mar, - huh? What’s the back-story here? I’m dying to know –

(Whoops, forgot about the boy's stop in DuBois (western Fremont County) on the way to Signal at the end of summer '63, this would indicate to me that BBM was likely up in Park County WY, but 'course this ain't definitive)
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: chowhound on May 26, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hey CH hope you’re doin’ well –

Some Wyoming geography and other stuff. ‘Bout all we know of the location of the fictional BBM I think is laid-out here in the SS when Ennis goes lookin’ for a postcard at Higgins gift shop:

   "Scene a Brokeback Mountain." (Ennis)

   "Over in Fremont County?" (Linda)

   "No, north a here." (Ennis)


So, north of Fremont County would be either Hot Springs County (unlikely I think, too flat) or Park County or Big Horn County. A good spot to see where these are located and to compare their geography is:

http://geology.com/state-map/wyoming.shtml (http://geology.com/state-map/wyoming.shtml)

Lighting Flat is in Campbell County over in eastern WY and up at the north end of it near the Montana border. Quite a ways from either Park or Big Horn counties. Now, OMT could have been familiar with the territory over there to the west, but he doesn’t seem like the kind who would be reaching out to learn about places that are outside of his world (IMO). So I personally think his reference here a more metaphorical one, equating Brokeback Mountain with a state of debauchery that he felt Jack engaged in there. That seems to me a logical explanation as to why he may have said what he did in the way that he did (e.g. "I know what sin is"). Resentful that Jack wanted his ashes to go there (with it’s evil overtones) rather than the more simple and morally clean family plot. Whata’ you think?

But, you really threw sumthin’ out here that I NEVER thought of and I guess that I need a little explanation for – “his (probably) gay uncle Harold” - In the immortal word of Ennis Del Mar, - huh? What’s the back-story here? I’m dying to know –

(Whoops, forgot about the boy's stop in DuBois (western Fremont County) on the way to Signal at the end of summer '63, this would indicate to me that BBM was likely up in Park County WY, but 'course this ain't definitive)



I'm sorry, Jackster, to have been a little playful or mischievous in my last by suggesting that Jack's uncle Harold was "probably gay" without  providing any explanation for such a claim but, even at my age, I like to indulge in a little playfulness from time to time. By the look of it, it certainly caught your attention.

The genesis for this idea came from something an old friend of mine told me some years ago,. This friend is gay, black, from the South (North Carolina) and was born in the late twenties of the last century. When he was in his early teens he was struggling with his own sexual orientation or identity. A discretely gay uncle noticed this, took him under his wing and gave him support and advice. Because of this he believed he became far more settled and confident about the sort of person he was than if this kindly uncle had not intervened when he did.

A number of people have noticed that Jack, compared to Ennis, seems more experienced and comfortable with his sexuality. This made me wonder whether Jack, like my friend, had a gay uncle who had helped him. Of course, Uncle Harold! So that was the start of the gay uncle Harold line.

Of course there's no proof for this but there are a few things which might point in its direction. We know that Jack's mother is aware of a special bond between Jack and his uncle. This is clear from the lengths she goes to in order to tell Jack that his uncle is in hospital and seriously ill. To accomplish this would have involved her in finding out how to contact Aguirre and then persuading him to take the long ride up Brokeback to give the message that, from Aguirre's point of view, is simply a message about one of Jack's relatives.  But from his mother's point of view this wasn't just any relative but Jack's uncle Harold. Jack had to be told about his condition then and there. If she hadn't and uncle Harold had died during the summer, she must have thought that  Jack would be very angry with her because she hadn't even tried to warn him about uncle Harold's condition.

If Harold is Jack's mother's gay brother then it would be one explanation of why she is seemingly so knowledgeable about Jack and Ennis, so understanding and accepting. She is so because she's been there before with her own brother. It may even explain why even OMT finds himself quite comfortable with the idea of Jack and Ennis setting up house together but in his case his concerns are almost exclusively to do with getting the necessary ranch work done.

So that's the story of gay uncle Harold. If you like it and are feeling creative, you can always write it up. I would love to read it.

Thanks for the further information on where Brokeback Mountain might have been and how far that would have been from Lightning Flat. It did occur to me that, as OMT had himself been a successful rodeo rider in his early days he might have come across Brokeback Mountain while traveling on one of the rodeo circuits. Nevertheless, I agree with you that the emphasis given to "know" in "I know where Brokeback Mountain is" - at least in Peter McRobbie's memorable performance - conveys more than just geographical knowledge. He seems almost to "know" what had gone on between Ennis and Jack that summer on Brokeback. But if he does know or suspect, I would be surprised if his knowledge or understanding would be any more than the carnal knowledge Aguirre displays when he mentions "stemming the rose".
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lancecowboy on May 27, 2012, 02:18 AM
 (:* :c) You folks sure found a way to pass the time here. Wonderful observations and suppositions. Interesting idea about Uncle Harold. I wonder what Annie say about him.

Old Man Twist knew about Brokeback Mountain and what 'em two were doing up there?!  (t) That's an interesting thought, and explains the kitchen scene a lot.  :s)

The idea of Uncle Harold and Jack's Ma giving Jack more self confidence makes sense, too.

Thanks y'all, for shining light on a movie I thought I knew so well, but hardly know at all, come to think of it. The genius of Annie and Ang, and all the cast and writers and people associated with the movie. It's like a deep well that has unfathomable depth. We can drink from it for years, and still be surprised by the freshness of it.
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: jackster on May 27, 2012, 06:01 AM
My dear LC and CH:

Actually the back-story to the Sweet-Life is:

OMT knew about BBM and all it entails and learned about it from Joe Aguirre who he met once when Ma Twist’s brother, Harold, stopped by in '52 and Aguirre was ridin’ shotgun with him. That’s how Jack got a job up there in ’62, Harold and Joe went way back and had been real good buddies during the war. Harold (a confirmed bachelor) came back and got the Forman’s job running an operation up in Worland. Kept in touch with Joe but not close, when his hand KC got married an’ brother Ennis had to leave the bunkhouse, Harold sent ‘em over to Signal thinkin’ he might get a summer job there with Joe.

Harold was always tryin’ to get his dumbass brother in law John to give up ranchin’, old John couldn’t raise a tent pole since he got hit in the head fallin’ off that bull. If OMT was to leave Harold was gonna’ take over the Lightning Flat operation and really build it up. He knew Jack was strong (if a bit a lazy) and could be depended on to help his Uncle Harry (as he called ‘em). Uncle Harry had shared this idea with young Jack once and the kid’s eye’s about popped. He’d not got along with his dad for years, (he was crazy since that fall) but the idea of having his Uncle there and living and working with him sounded like some sweet life. Unfortunately, after Uncle Harry took sick in ’63 he never fully recovered and couldn’t really work hard anymore, but with two young studs to help run the place under his management it oughtta’ work just fine . . . .

Yes, it would be a real Sweet Life, huh?

 "s;"
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: lancecowboy on May 27, 2012, 08:01 AM
 O0 You bet!  :c)
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: chowhound on May 28, 2012, 03:14 PM
My dear LC and CH:

Actually the back-story to the Sweet-Life is:

OMT knew about BBM and all it entails and learned about it from Joe Aguirre who he met once when Ma Twist’s brother, Harold, stopped by in '52 and Aguirre was ridin’ shotgun with him. That’s how Jack got a job up there in ’62, Harold and Joe went way back and had been real good buddies during the war. Harold (a confirmed bachelor) came back and got the Forman’s job running an operation up in Worland. Kept in touch with Joe but not close, when his hand KC got married an’ brother Ennis had to leave the bunkhouse, Harold sent ‘em over to Signal thinkin’ he might get a summer job there with Joe.

Harold was always tryin’ to get his dumbass brother in law John to give up ranchin’, old John couldn’t raise a tent pole since he got hit in the head fallin’ off that bull. If OMT was to leave Harold was gonna’ take over the Lightning Flat operation and really build it up. He knew Jack was strong (if a bit a lazy) and could be depended on to help his Uncle Harry (as he called ‘em). Uncle Harry had shared this idea with young Jack once and the kid’s eye’s about popped. He’d not got along with his dad for years, (he was crazy since that fall) but the idea of having his Uncle there and living and working with him sounded like some sweet life. Unfortunately, after Uncle Harry took sick in ’63 he never fully recovered and couldn’t really work hard anymore, but with two young studs to help run the place under his management it oughtta’ work just fine . . . .

Yes, it would be a real Sweet Life, huh?

 "s;"


Ingenious, Jackster, ingenious! But please remember not to send it to AP!
Title: Re: The Sweet Life?
Post by: Forever on Jun 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
IMHO:

Let's lay off Jack, we can't blame Jack because he married into money. I'm sure his son would have not missed a meal, to assume Jack didn't care about his son, is kind of unfair,  Jack was more real about the situation then Ennis was.

And for goodness sake Riverton, WY. is not the only place in the whole of the US, Ennis could find work,  and to wait until his child support was paid off  to move on with life is kind of silly.   I sure with Jack, no other dependents would have been produced. 

Alma went on with her life, Ennis never did, what does that say.  At every stage of this love affair Ennis found excuses, but never came up with any solutions.  Like he told Jack at the final meeting, "Do you have a better idea?"  Ennis never had a better idea, only excuse.   

It's so true! Ennis never had better ideas, only excuses! But on the other hand I have always wondered why Jack always came back to his lover and for 20 years! The trouble with Jack was his excessive tolerance towards Ennis, too sweet, too lenient! Remember the divorce scene, Jack was broken inside, his heart bled of pain, but what did he say to Ennis? All right, see you next month then!!! He let Ennis treated him like a piece of crap! If I had been him, I would have fought for my love! I would have gave an ultimatum! or Send a letter after this humiliation! Jack was too soft with Ennis! but OK it's just me and my humble opinion!