Brokeback Mountain Forum @ ennisjack.com
The Movie & Story => Characters, Quotes & Scenes => Topic started by: shakestheground on Mar 06, 2006, 05:48 PM
-
http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/relationships/23585res20060124.html
I post this link here to let you know about a real life couple of cowboys, who did have a sweet life, until one died and the survivor got the shaft thru a technicality. Lets us direct some of our energies toward justice for gay men and lesbians everywhere. Read and let me know what you think.
-
Yes, I did read the same (or a similar) story somewhere. The technicality is most typical.
Thanks.
-
That's so sad and so expected.
-
That's so sad and so expected.
Definitely sad, certainly expected. But I think you forgot a word...G-D damn infuriating.
I am infuriated by this story because I am a Notary Public. When a Notary acknowledges a document what they are doing is certifying that the signature on the document is, the true name of the person signing the document. First off, you have to sign the document in front of the notary. Then you have to prove to the notary your name is what you say it is when you signed. If you signed John Doe, you have to show proof you are John Doe.
Now, from that article, I gather there was only one witness signature at the time it was notarized. But the notary ALSO witnessed the signature. That makes two witnesses. For the State to ignore the second signature is just criminal in my book.
-
I don't know a lot about that kind of stuff, since I very rarely have to have anything notarized. Maybe the notary was the one witness?
It is infuriating. It's seriously messed up that they can throw out a will because of some stupid technicality like that. It's even messed up that because of stupid bigots he would have had to put that in his will in the first place.
-
I don't know a lot about that kind of stuff, since I very rarely have to have anything notarized. Maybe the notary was the one witness?
That is a possibility. The article didn't say. But geeezzzz, I thought everyone knew you had to have any legal document witnessed.
I have a Last Will and Testament, a Living Will, a General Power of Attorney, and a Medical Power of Attorney. I have covered all the bases. All of them are signed by me, two (and in one case four) witnesses and a notary.
-
Infuriating
-
Infuriating
:-X :-X :-X I better shut up!
-
Notice that one of these cowboys' name is Earl - the same name as the murdered cowboy from Ennis's childhood. I don't remember the name of the second cowboy? Interesting. - Nancy
-
Rich was the other cowboys name.