Brokeback Mountain Forum @ ennisjack.com

The Movie & Story => Characters, Quotes & Scenes => Topic started by: *Froggy* on Jan 01, 2006, 06:11 PM

Title: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: *Froggy* on Jan 01, 2006, 06:11 PM
Have read the short story - god knows how many times - and when Annie Proulx writes that Ennis calls Jack " little darlin' " I get  butterflies in my stomach!! Everytime..i can't help it!

But it is not in the movie, is it?
Do you think they have filmed another version as well? one that includes "little darlin' "!

I can dream...hope even!


(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi41.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fe266%2Fethanwow%2Fbutterflies.jpg&hash=cd7225a462de4bcd112bc875add65372b601c871)
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: natalia on Jan 01, 2006, 08:47 PM
I love that line!
*sigh* i wish they included it
i am making all my future boyfriends call me that:D
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: borger1582 on Jan 01, 2006, 11:35 PM
Frog123,

A very good poster over at the IMDB board explained why this really couldn't be in the movie, as follows: the all-knowing narrative point of view in the story tells you that Ennis only said that to his horses and his daughters, the implication being he only said it to people/animals that he really truly loved.  This would have been difficult, if not impossible, to exposit in the film and the line probably would have created more giggles (for mainstream US audiences) then advanced the story.
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: *Froggy* on Jan 01, 2006, 11:39 PM
Frog123,

A very good poster over at the IMDB board explained why this really couldn't be in the movie, as follows: the all-knowing narrative point of view in the story tells you that Ennis only said that to his horses and his daughters, the implication being he only said it to people/animals that he really truly loved.  This would have been difficult, if not impossible, to exposit in the film and the line probably would have created more giggles (for mainstream US audiences) then advanced the story.


aaahhhhhhh...Yeah, good explanation indeed...Thankx

Though i really don't understand why it isn't compulsory to read the short story before watching the movie...LOL...kiddin' of course!
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: waterwalkingjesus on Jan 05, 2006, 02:57 PM
That line reads great in the book, but I'm glad they didn't include it in the film. It would have been hokey, and the fact that Ennis says all he needs with his eyes/lips is good enough for me.
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: Toadily on Jan 05, 2006, 02:59 PM
right it wouldn't have worked on screen, we need to know it's his endearment in general.
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: borger1582 on Jan 05, 2006, 03:21 PM
Something that just struck me today.  Over on the IMDB board, we were discussing the lack of verbal affection Ennis shows for Jack as compared to the short story, and bemoaning its absence.  However, I think I am not letting the film tell its story when I ignore things such as the following:

When Jack and Ennis go up to the mountains immediately after the motel encounter during their fourth year reunion, Jack asks Ennis, "Anything interesting up there in heaven?"  And Ennis replies, "I was just sending up a prayer of thanks."  Which of course ends in the joke about the harmonica - but for the film that's Ennis' way of telling Jack he's glad they've found one another again.

Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: *Froggy* on Jan 05, 2006, 03:24 PM
Something that just struck me today.  Over on the IMDB board, we were discussing the lack of verbal affection Ennis shows for Jack as compared to the short story, and bemoaning its absence.  However, I think I am not letting the film tell its story when I ignore things such as the following:

When Jack and Ennis go up to the mountains immediately after the motel encounter during their fourth year reunion, Jack asks Ennis, "Anything interesting up there in heaven?"  And Ennis replies, "I was just sending up a prayer of thanks."  Which of course ends in the joke about the harmonica - but for the film that's Ennis' way of telling Jack he's glad they've found one another again.

Nice..i like that!
I cannot wait to see Heath portraying Ennis..his eyes, his facial expressions...*sigh*
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: bnjmn3 on Jan 06, 2006, 11:20 PM
We may get to hear Ennis say Little Darling to Jack on the DVD maybe---I think Ledger and Ang Lee could make any dialog work truly. Furthermore, the idea of one man singing a lullaby to another man on screen (the flashback during the last scene with our heroes together) is really groundbreaking...this lullabymay be the only memory Ennis may have had of being loved as a child---which he repeats with love to Jack on BMM. That was stunning to me. What a film.
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: brokebackmountain on Jan 06, 2006, 11:31 PM
Never heard that line from the film...but need to see it again.  Froggie, I sent you some repplies on allocine.fr forum.  You are the one who brougth me to this forum.  Merci, merci, merci, merci, did I said Thank you?  MERCI ENCORE!

Bon baisers de Montréal!

Pierre
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: chameau on Jan 06, 2006, 11:52 PM
Brokeback.. Chameau again, how did I do this!  Me again.. might go to sleep.
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: ethan on Feb 01, 2006, 08:13 PM
(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.flickr.com%2F12%2F90280091_f8512a44fa.jpg&hash=508fb18e8d48aa32e1486c9b90d9de3fa32a9094)
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 02, 2006, 06:14 PM
(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.flickr.com%2F12%2F90280091_f8512a44fa.jpg&hash=508fb18e8d48aa32e1486c9b90d9de3fa32a9094)

Thank you..I love this line..so much "meaning" in just a couple of words! *sigh*
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: chameau on Feb 02, 2006, 06:21 PM
Guesss?

 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: pennyT on Feb 02, 2006, 06:27 PM
Have I missed something ?  This line is not in the movie is it ?
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: chameau on Feb 02, 2006, 06:31 PM
I's in the short story only.
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 02, 2006, 07:14 PM
oops..I type too fast...yeah it's not in movie but short story! It's one of my favourites!
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: jimnick on Feb 02, 2006, 07:19 PM
(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.flickr.com%2F12%2F90280091_f8512a44fa.jpg&hash=508fb18e8d48aa32e1486c9b90d9de3fa32a9094)

Someone should market
 Little Darlin' Tooth Paste  
with this picture on the box
!
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: rane99 on Feb 02, 2006, 07:20 PM
oh, I would buy that.  I melted when I read that in the story.
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: chameau on Feb 02, 2006, 07:21 PM
(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.flickr.com%2F12%2F90280091_f8512a44fa.jpg&hash=508fb18e8d48aa32e1486c9b90d9de3fa32a9094)

Someone should market
 Little Darlin' Tooth Paste  
with this picture on the box
!

Mah Gawd!

Jim you're killing me!  ;D

They would sell tons in Montreal's gay Village
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 02, 2006, 07:25 PM
I've reduced picture size ,for scrolling!
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: chameau on Feb 02, 2006, 07:26 PM
I've reduced picture size ,for scrolling!

Yup, we could hardly read the lines now.  ::)
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 02, 2006, 07:30 PM
I've reduced picture size ,for scrolling!

Yup, we could hardly read the lines now.  ::)

Oy! the original is still there mister!!!! :P
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: Pierre on Feb 02, 2006, 07:45 PM
Sure I miss Ennis whispering -little darlin'- to Jack...(with Heath Ledger's voice...ouahhh)
Option 1:  Let's say he does... just while we see Alma looking them down! Too bad for us  :o
Option 2:  But if we can't hear it...we've got to stand it :D :D

Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 02, 2006, 07:47 PM
Option 2:  But if we can't hear it...we've got to stand it :D :D

 ;) Good one!
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: Toadily on Feb 02, 2006, 07:47 PM
Sure I miss Ennis whispering -little darlin'- to Jack...(with Heath Ledger's voice...ouahhh)
Option 1:  Let's say he does... just while we see Alma looking them down! Too bad for us  :o
Option 2:  But if we can't hear it...we've got to stand it :D :D



Ha ha, yeah we gotta stand it, Ang or the screen writers took it out it seems!
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: chameau on Feb 02, 2006, 10:31 PM
I've reduced picture size ,for scrolling!

Yup, we could hardly read the lines now.  ::)

Oy! the original is still there mister!!!! :P

Ooopse, stupid chameau I am!  :P
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: JerBear418720 on Feb 03, 2006, 04:06 PM
Have read the short story - god knows how many times - and when Annie Proulx writes that Ennis calls Jack " little darlin' " I get  butterflies in my stomach!! Everytime..i can't help it!

But it is not in the movie, is it?
Do you think they have filmed another version as well? one that includes "little darlin' "!

I can dream...hope even!


Maybe it will be on the DVD as a deleted scene or an outtake - I sure hope so.
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: JerBear418720 on Feb 03, 2006, 04:08 PM
(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.flickr.com%2F12%2F90280091_f8512a44fa.jpg&hash=508fb18e8d48aa32e1486c9b90d9de3fa32a9094)

Ethan, ur killin me - I think this was the most beautifully erotic passage in the whole short story!
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: ethan on Feb 03, 2006, 04:10 PM
Ethan, ur killin me - I think this was the most beautifully erotic passage in the whole short story!

I agree. Glad you like it.
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: alicat on Feb 03, 2006, 04:44 PM
Little Darlin' - what a lovely way for Ennis to have spoken to Jack. I wish he would've said it but I suspect the directors would've thought it too much for mainstream audiences to relate to.  Jack was a little darlin' tho - very sweet, flirtatious and loveable - I am sure that is how Ennis thought of him too, throughout their time together.  Ennis was head over heals for Jack, all the way.  Even from the time they chatted together over the fire, when Ennis relates his time growing up w/o parents, and Jack starts to smile and says 'that's the most words you said these last two weeks!'  The two of them were madly in love and the tent scene on the second night only confirms this - Ennis kisses and hugs Jack as though he has met the love of his life. 

'Oh my darling, my love is only for you..'
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: frenchcda on Feb 15, 2006, 06:34 PM
remember the moment Ennis said to Jack what while sipping coffee?  and Jack then told him this is the most words he'd spoken in two weeks, that tells you how fond Ennis is about Jack, another memorable moment
another one is where Ennis said , ma dad said you ranchers are all f***-ups! that was cute
two cent worths more of Love
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: CherryCake on Feb 15, 2006, 07:06 PM
I love the 'lil darlin' in the book.. so sweet.  if they had more time to to show more scenes of Jack and Ennis together, i think a 'lil darlin' might have work.  oh, well... we know it's there.. tee hee
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: Little Darlin on Feb 16, 2006, 08:14 AM
When the scene from the book where Ennis calls Jack "Little Darlin" is not included in the film, I am not quite sure why it could be described as a possible spoiler?!  ???  However, my nick will give away my favourite scene (of the book)...    Btw: BBM is part of the collection of short stories - Close Range - reading all of it will not only make you understand but also appreciate much more Ennis' & Jack's personality as Wyoming ranchers much more after reading the whole book!

Although I was not able to see the film yet, I took the liberty of glancing the scene on the internet. The scene in the film is quite different from what it is in the book (book: Jack comes up the stairs onto the landing, film: Ennis comes down the stairs towards Jack/book: their lips come together easily, film: Ennis looks around and lures Jack into the dark corner before they kiss). Like anyone would be, I was first disappointed of this. But in the film, Ennis' second daughter has a different name as in the book where she is called Francine. So I know that the film did not intend to visulise the book and therefore cannot expect to see all of it. I have also glimpsed the scene of Ennis & Jack after Ennis' divorce and the sadness of Jack - in the book you will not be made aware of Jack's feeling or reaction at all.

Back to "Little Darlin" as I know it from the book. The attraction started by percieving that Annie Proulx managed to write "everything" in just one sentence. The attraction to the scene itself is its easiness (as Annie Proulx wrote) or inevitability (as I would say) - Ennis & Jack being like opposingly poled magnets drawn to each other, escape impossible, and Ennis, in his minimalistic way, showing, probably without even realising, his love for Jack by making him - with his daughters and horses - the most valuable item he treasures (only the Pope would see this as a symbol of the Holy Trinity). Reading it, one does not ask why Ennis & Jack are attracted to each other (gay, straight, bi - who cares) and there is nothing wrong with it.

Given all the feelings we find out about them in the book - it is hard to imagine how Ang Lee could have transformed this into a motion picture given the fact that both characters do not speak very much! In about three weeks time I'll be able to appreciate the film as well.
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 16, 2006, 01:04 PM
Given all the feelings we find out about them in the book - it is hard to imagine how Ang Lee could have transformed this into a motion picture given the fact that both characters do not speak very much! In about three weeks time I'll be able to appreciate the film as well.

Hello and Welcome,

True Litle Darlin' could not be used in the movie for that matter...too bad...It is one of my favourite passage's of the short story too.

You are so going to love the movie (gosh I sound like an american cheerleader?!!) and appreciate what a great work Ang Lee and the his cast did! It's a masterpiece, enjoy, and come back to tell us all about it!
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: Johnny Angel on Mar 11, 2006, 05:45 AM
Also, it's things like that, that keep the story fresh, no matter how many times you read it.  There are things in the story that aren't in the movie, and things in the movie that aren't in the story.  So in a way, we got twice as much Brokeback!  ;)
Title: Re: little darlin' - possible spoiler!
Post by: bnjmn3 on Mar 11, 2006, 09:27 AM

Although I was not able to see the film yet, I took the liberty of glancing the scene on the internet. The scene in the film is quite different from what it is in the book (book: Jack comes up the stairs onto the landing, film: Ennis comes down the stairs towards Jack/book: their lips come together easily, film: Ennis looks around and lures Jack into the dark corner before they kiss). Like anyone would be, I was first disappointed of this.

Since you brought up this scene (thanks), I wanted to remind everyone that this scene was edited abruptly and for its content at the Academy Awards during the Best Score nomination montage (when the violinist plays). They haphazardly cut from the move clips to the violinist then suddenly back again. It is an obvious edit for content and also very disappointing...but not surprising, huh?