Brokeback Mountain Forum @ ennisjack.com

The Movie & Story => Characters, Quotes & Scenes => Topic started by: Patriot1 on Apr 23, 2006, 11:11 PM

Title: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: Patriot1 on Apr 23, 2006, 11:11 PM
During the last argument Jack and Ennis have, immediately after Jack says, "It's all we got, boy, f**kin' all, so I hope you know that if you don't never know the rest."  Ennis turns away from Jack.  As he turns he say something.  What did he say?  It sounds like G*d damn _____ (son of a b*tch)?  Can't tell.

Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: greenfrog on Apr 23, 2006, 11:14 PM
I think you're refering to Jack saying "You are too much for me Ennis, you sonofawhoreson b**ch"!!!
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: Patriot1 on Apr 23, 2006, 11:19 PM
I think you're refering to Jack saying "You are too much for me Ennis, you sonofawhoreson b**ch"!!!

No, Ennis says something half under his breath just after Jack says what I quoted as he (Ennis) turns around.

Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: greenfrog on Apr 23, 2006, 11:31 PM
Sorry, can't help you there.  :-\
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: LuvJackNasty on Apr 24, 2006, 11:28 AM
All I heard was "G*ddammit". I didn't notice if he said anything else. I never noticed that Ennis said anything at that point before I got the dvd. I don't know if he says anything else after "GD". I guess I'll have to check it out.
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: coguaro on Apr 24, 2006, 12:19 PM
The only word I listen is " G***dam"
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: Patriot1 on Apr 24, 2006, 12:57 PM
The only word I listen is " G***dam"

Yes, the words, "G*d damn" are quite audible but I hear something after that but can't make it out.

Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: aimi15 on Apr 24, 2006, 01:07 PM
The only word I listen is " G***dam"

Yes, the words, "G*d damn" are quite audible but I hear something after that but can't make it out.


Patriot 1 - he does say something after G*ddamn - i've tried and tried, but can't make out what it is!!! Its going to drive me crazy - anyone else have the answer?? ??? ???
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: donnaread on Apr 24, 2006, 01:07 PM
The only word I listen is " G***dam"

Yes, the words, "G*d damn" are quite audible but I hear something after that but can't make it out.


All I can really understand is the "G*d damn" but he mutters something else like he does the time the horse threw him (after picking up the supplies) he brushes past Jack muttering inaudibly.  I can't wait to get my "Story to Screenplay" book.  Maybe it will be in there.   :)

Donna
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: aimi15 on Apr 24, 2006, 01:11 PM
The only word I listen is " G***dam"

Yes, the words, "G*d damn" are quite audible but I hear something after that but can't make it out.


All I can really understand is the "G*d damn" but he mutters something else like he does the time the horse threw him (after picking up the supplies) he brushes past Jack muttering inaudibly.  I can't wait to get my "Story to Screenplay" book.  Maybe it will be in there.   :)

Donna

Just looked in S/S - can't find it in there either  :(. Very frustrating... :P
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: tpe on Apr 24, 2006, 01:26 PM
Was this an adlib by Ledger?  Whoever has the screenplay on hand, could you check that this "G*d damn.." said by Ledger is not in the screenplay?  I think Jack's speech was continuous in the screenplay, but I have to check...

Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: Patriot1 on Apr 24, 2006, 01:27 PM
The only word I listen is " G***dam"

Yes, the words, "G*d damn" are quite audible but I hear something after that but can't make it out.


All I can really understand is the "G*d damn" but he mutters something else like he does the time the horse threw him (after picking up the supplies) he brushes past Jack muttering inaudibly.  I can't wait to get my "Story to Screenplay" book.  Maybe it will be in there.   :)

Donna

No, it isn't in the screenplay Donna.  I have the story to screenplay and have read it too many times to count.  It is sitting right here at my elbow as a ready reference.    :D

Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: aimi15 on Apr 24, 2006, 01:27 PM
Was this an adlib by Ledger?  Whoever has the screenplay on hand, could you check that this "G*d damn.." said by Ledger is not in the screenplay?  I think Jack's speech was continuous in the screenplay, but I have to check...


Can't see it in screenplay. :(
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: tpe on Apr 24, 2006, 01:31 PM
Was this an adlib by Ledger?  Whoever has the screenplay on hand, could you check that this "G*d damn.." said by Ledger is not in the screenplay?  I think Jack's speech was continuous in the screenplay, but I have to check...


Can't see it in screenplay. :(

Yes, this is what I thought.  Thanks aimi15.  It is interesting to know what he was mouthing here... 

One thing for sure: Ennis could not say anything back in response.  He knew everything Jack said was true...

Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: MississaugaRed on Apr 24, 2006, 02:47 PM
Quote

Yes, this is what I thought.  Thanks aimi15.  It is interesting to know what he was mouthing here... 

One thing for sure: Ennis could not say anything back in response.  He knew everything Jack said was true...


Quote

Absolutely, Tpe, it's the ring of truth in that speech that makes it so powerful.

It occurred to me this morning, after reading some of these wonderful posts, to wonder if Ennis's claim at the end, when he tells Jack "It's because of you Jack, that I'm like this ... I'm nothing ... I'm nowhere", couldn't as easily have been said by Jack to Ennis.

Has Ennis considered that maybe Jack isn't everything he wanted to be either, because he's choosen to put his love for Ennis before everything else?  Jack may have an easier life materially, having married a well-to-do woman.  But for a man like Jack, who yearns for emotional closeness and fulfillment, isn't this life half lived just as damaging to him as it was to Ennis?

I haven't fully thought this through, so maybe not making much sense, but it seems to me that as much as they may appear to be in vastly different positions in life, for the one thing that should count the most, their emotional completeness, they aren't so very different.  :-\

 

Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: proulxfan on Apr 24, 2006, 03:23 PM
That assessment seems right on target to me. Jack doesn't seem to have anyone else in his life that he feels truly bonded with, though his relationship with Bobby is not really developed in the film. Of course, while liasons with other men are alluded to, we're not really told much about any of them. But the point is made clear that Ennis is the love of his life, and so both their lives are indeed half-lived, as you put it so well. And I guess we're OT.  :-X
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: tpe on Apr 24, 2006, 03:47 PM
Absolutely, Tpe, it's the ring of truth in that speech that makes it so powerful.

It occurred to me this morning, after reading some of these wonderful posts, to wonder if Ennis's claim at the end, when he tells Jack "It's because of you Jack, that I'm like this ... I'm nothing ... I'm nowhere", couldn't as easily have been said by Jack to Ennis.

Has Ennis considered that maybe Jack isn't everything he wanted to be either, because he's choosen to put his love for Ennis before everything else?  Jack may have an easier life materially, having married a well-to-do woman.  But for a man like Jack, who yearns for emotional closeness and fulfillment, isn't this life half lived just as damaging to him as it was to Ennis?

I haven't fully thought this through, so maybe not making much sense, but it seems to me that as much as they may appear to be in vastly different positions in life, for the one thing that should count the most, their emotional completeness, they aren't so very different.  :-\

I think there is one definite point in the movie when Ennis at last realizes how much Jack had suffered.

It is when he discovers the shirts.

It is the only physical embodiment of Jack's dream. 

For Jack, even as early as 1963, they have become one.




Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: Patriot1 on Apr 24, 2006, 04:49 PM




(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi43.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fe359%2FPatriotOne%2FOffTopic113.gif&hash=844598338f732a85175968d8221e334b10343fe7)
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: Sunflower79 on Apr 24, 2006, 06:36 PM
 
here is part of the argument I found on IMBd..maybe someone can find the rest of it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ennis Del Mar: I'm gonna tell you this one time, Jack f***in' Twist, an' I ain't foolin'. What I don't know - all them things I don't know - could get you killed if I come to know them. I mean it.

Jack Twist: Yeah well try this one, and I'll say it just once!
Ennis Del Mar: Go ahead!

Jack Twist: Tell you what, we coulda had a good life together! f***in' real good life! Had us a place of our own. But you didn't want it, Ennis! So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain! Everything's built on that! That's all we got, boy, f***in' all. So I hope you know that, even if you don't never know the rest! You count the damn few times we have been together in nearly twenty years and you measure the short !@#$ leash you keep me on - and then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get. You have no idea how bad it gets! I'm not you... I can't make it on a coupla high-altitude f***s once or twice a year! You are too much for me Ennis, you sonofawhoreson bitch! I wish I knew how to quit you.

Ennis Del Mar: [crying] Well, why don't you? Why don't you just let me be? It's because of you that I'm like this! I ain't got nothing... I ain't nowhere... Get the f*** off me! I can't stand being like this no more, Jack.
 
 
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: tpe on Apr 24, 2006, 06:48 PM

here is part of the argument I found on IMBd..maybe someone can find the rest of it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ennis Del Mar: I'm gonna tell you this one time, Jack f***in' Twist, an' I ain't foolin'. What I don't know - all them things I don't know - could get you killed if I come to know them. I mean it.

Jack Twist: Yeah well try this one, and I'll say it just once!
Ennis Del Mar: Go ahead!

Jack Twist: Tell you what, we coulda had a good life together! f***in' real good life! Had us a place of our own. But you didn't want it, Ennis! So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain! Everything's built on that! That's all we got, boy, f***in' all. So I hope you know that, even if you don't never know the rest! You count the damn few times we have been together in nearly twenty years and you measure the short !@#$ leash you keep me on - and then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get. You have no idea how bad it gets! I'm not you... I can't make it on a coupla high-altitude f***s once or twice a year! You are too much for me Ennis, you sonofawhoreson bitch! I wish I knew how to quit you.

Ennis Del Mar: [crying] Well, why don't you? Why don't you just let me be? It's because of you that I'm like this! I ain't got nothing... I ain't nowhere... Get the f*** off me! I can't stand being like this no more, Jack.
 
 

Yes, this gives Jack's speech as continuous.  The adlib by Ledger that is the subject of this thread is found between

So I hope you know that, even if you don't never know the rest!

and

You count the damn few times we have been together in nearly twenty years and you measure the short !@#$ leash you keep me on - and then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: rikcub on Apr 24, 2006, 08:17 PM
During the last argument Jack and Ennis have, immediately after Jack says, "It's all we got, boy, f**kin' all, so I hope you know that if you don't never know the rest."  Ennis turns away from Jack.  As he turns he say something.  What did he say?  It sounds like G*d damn _____ (son of a b*tch)?  Can't tell.



OK...I don't have the short story in front of me...but...as I remember...the short story says something to the effect.."ennis said something only the horses could hear".  I guess this particular line...according to Annie Proulx...was not meant to be audible...something Ennis muttered under his breath.
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: LuvJackNasty on Apr 24, 2006, 08:19 PM
I played that part when I got home before and he definitely mutters something after the GD. I played it four times and still can't make it out. And now I'm a wreck again- that scene does it to me every time.
Title: Re: What does Ennis say during last arguement?
Post by: Patriot1 on Apr 24, 2006, 08:31 PM
During the last argument Jack and Ennis have, immediately after Jack says, "It's all we got, boy, f**kin' all, so I hope you know that if you don't never know the rest."  Ennis turns away from Jack.  As he turns he say something.  What did he say?  It sounds like G*d damn _____ (son of a b*tch)?  Can't tell.



OK...I don't have the short story in front of me...but...as I remember...the short story says something to the effect.."ennis said something only the horses could hear".  I guess this particular line...according to Annie Proulx...was not meant to be audible...something Ennis muttered under his breath.

That is true rikcub, but, in the story he does this before the argument starts.  This thing I am talking about was in the middle of the argument.  And, Ennis doesn't walk over to the horse trailer either.  What he says could be what was in the book just rearranged I guess.  But, you can hear "G*d damn ____".  I was just wondering if anyone could hear the rest.