Brokeback Mountain Forum @ ennisjack.com

The Movie & Story => Characters, Quotes & Scenes => Topic started by: ethan on May 23, 2006, 06:48 AM

Title: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: ethan on May 23, 2006, 06:48 AM
Ennis Del Mar as many of us know means "Island of the Sea." Ennis" is Irish Gaelic for "island," “del Mar” Spanish, of the sea. It sums up the character of Ennis pretty well - Ennis's isolation and remoteness.

On the other hand, Twist, according to the dictionary, it means

   1.
         1. To wind together (two or more threads, for example) so as to produce a single strand.
         2. To form in this manner: twist a length of rope from strands of hemp.
   2. To wind or coil (vines or rope, for example) about something.
   3. To interlock or interlace: twist flowers in one's hair.
   4. To make (one's way) in a tortuous manner: twisted my way through the briar patch.
   5. To turn so as to face another direction: twisted their heads around at the sound of the doorbell.
   6. To impart a spiral or coiling shape to, as by turning the ends in opposite directions: twisting wire into a loop.
   7.
         1. To turn or open by turning: twisted off the bottle cap.
         2. To pull, break, or snap by turning: twist off a dead branch.
   8. To wrench or sprain: twist one's wrist.
   9. To alter the normal aspect of; contort: twist one's mouth into a wry smile.
  10. To alter or distort the intended meaning of: The cross-examiner twisted the words of the witness. See synonyms at distort.
  11. To alter or distort the mental, moral, or emotional character of: The trauma twisted the child's outlook.

I came across this interview with Jake where he explained what "Twist" really means.

"Annie Proulx wrote me a note very recently that has made the entire movie—making it—totally worth it, no matter what happens, and how people respond to the film. She wrote me a note with a limited edition copy of Close Range, which is the book that “Brokeback Mountain” the short story is in. In it she said that Jack “Twist” refers to the strength of the thighs and butt muscles that a bull rider has to have in order to stay on the bull. I had never really thought of it that way. It's so funny, it's so clearly in your face the whole time and you never really know what that is. I thought, “Yeah, there's a real endurance.”

http://www.aboutfilm.com/movies/b/brokebackmountain/gyllenhaal.htm

I suppose we can extend that to the strength that Jack has to have to continue his relationship with Ennis.

BBM never ceases to amaze me its symbolism. It is simply brilliant.
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: frenchcda on May 23, 2006, 07:01 AM
Thank You so much for this info it will be very usefull to me in the near future
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: tpe on May 23, 2006, 07:36 AM
Yes, I thought there is so much beautiful symbolism in the names.

'Island of the Sea' is indeed so apt -- a monolithic mass in the middle of a vast unknowable expanse. 

And Jack riding out the rodeo of love and life -- trying not to fall off and keep his seat, no matter what.

Their names tell all.



Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: Sunflower79 on May 23, 2006, 10:58 AM
I do agree the symbolism is amazing..thier names fit thier characters well..Ennis being alone and seperate and Jack wanting to be together and connected..very good insights..thanks for sharing  :t)
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: *Froggy* on May 23, 2006, 11:16 AM
Fantastic post Ethan...I am quite sure we can find more meanings in all the characters' names x
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: keren_b on May 23, 2006, 11:40 AM
From the very start I was fascinated with the name "Ennis Del Mar", I thought it sounded so unique and had an aristocratic ring to it... once I've learned the meaning of it, I love it even more.
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: Valandil Eluch on May 23, 2006, 03:29 PM
 :t) ethan wonderful post! more reasons to love this movie!
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: aimi15 on May 23, 2006, 03:35 PM
Fascinating - thanks ethan  :)
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: pierralex on May 23, 2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks ethan, very interesting. I had never thought of this.
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: ethan on May 23, 2006, 04:23 PM
You are welcome, everyone  :)

I guess we need to have more "twist" so we all can have the strength to ride through our lives.

This reminds me of the conversation between Ennis and Jack.

Jack: for how long?

Ennis: As long as we can ride it.

BBM does give me a lot of strength.  O0
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: shieldmaid on May 23, 2006, 04:24 PM
Yes, thanks, Ethan.  It's interesting, too, how they first introduce themselves; Ennis says merely, "Ennis" (i.e., "island"), and doesn't give his last name until prompted by Jack.  Jack is often referred to as Jack Twist in the film, though, especially when Ennis calls him "Jack f&(n Twist," in both affection and anger.  :)
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: Valandil Eluch on May 23, 2006, 06:32 PM
You are welcome, everyone  :)

I guess we need to have more "twist" so we all can have the strength to ride through our lives.

This reminds me of the conversation between Ennis and Jack.

Jack: for how long?

Ennis: As long as we can ride it.

BBM does give me a lot of strength.  O0


Ethan you are going to kill me with this one!
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: LuvJackNasty on May 23, 2006, 08:17 PM
Great thread Ethan! :)
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: ethan on May 23, 2006, 10:31 PM
Ethan you are going to kill me with this one!

Carlos - more twists for you.  :-*
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: chameau on May 23, 2006, 11:24 PM
Just found that one., thanks Ethan  <^(
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: Patriot1 on May 23, 2006, 11:51 PM
Thank you for that great explanation of the names Ethan.  That was wonderful.

Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: sam on May 28, 2006, 09:04 AM
I'm crying again...
Thank you.

sam
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: filazahies on May 28, 2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks for your explanation of the names Ethan.
I love the name "Ennis del Mar" it sounds beautiful, and you're right, the meaning reflects Ennis' personality, he's an isolated island in the vast sea of the plains of Wyoming. And then Jack Twist a short name and a short surname, someone you can name quickly, like Jack who lived really fast, but also like a twister, crazy and impulsive.
Great choice of the names, Annie Proulx.
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: keren_b on May 29, 2006, 01:12 AM
Thanks for your explanation of the names Ethan.
I love the name "Ennis del Mar" it sounds beautiful, and you're right, the meaning reflects Ennis' personality, he's an isolated island in the vast sea of the plains of Wyoming. And then Jack Twist a short name and a short surname, someone you can name quickly, like Jack who lived really fast, but also like a twister, crazy and impulsive.
Great choice of the names, Annie Proulx.

Oh yes...
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: justlikethisalways on May 29, 2006, 03:47 AM
"Twist" refers to the strength of the thighs and butt muscles that a bull rider has to have in order to stay on the bull.
I suppose we can extend that to the strength that Jack has to have to continue his relationship with Ennis.

What a beautiful insight. Thank you for sharing this, Ethan.

I guess we need to have more "twist" so we all can have the strength to ride through our lives.

Amen to that!
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: filazahies on May 30, 2006, 10:37 AM
Did you know that a very typical Spanish name for girls is María del Mar? :)
Title: Re: The Meanings of Del Mar & Twist
Post by: KatKat on Jun 19, 2006, 11:37 PM
I noticed Jack's last name "Twist" the first time I saw the movie because (don't beat me up :`))  before I saw the movie (which I didn't even watch the trailer) the only thing I knew about this movie were it has won a lot of awards and it is a movie between 2 gay men.(that's what I heard, not my opinion lol)