Brokeback Mountain Forum @ ennisjack.com
The Movie & Story => Characters, Quotes & Scenes => Topic started by: Sitaram on Jan 25, 2006, 05:51 AM
-
I have little time left this morning, but this insight seems important, so I shall sketch it out.
Ennis flatly states "I never eat soup." What other unequivocal categorical statements can you think of that Ennis might make at that juncture in time, which also later prove to be wrong.
His denial of soup-eating is met with a wry smile, and the statement, "It is too early in the summer to be sick of beans."
How can we understand this statement in it's explicit context of soup?
If "eating soup" is really a euphemism for something else that Ennis is certain he never does, then, we begin to understand some things. Only towards the end of the summer does one return to civilization and a more normal sexual diet. But, early in the summer, alone on the mountain, with only another male for companionship, soup and beans are really all that is on the menu.
-
I have little time left this morning, but this insight seems important, so I shall sketch it out.
Ennis flatly states "I never eat soup." What other unequivocal categorical statements can you think of that Ennis might make at that juncture in time, which also later prove to be wrong.
His denial of soup-eating is met with a wry smile, and the statement, "It is too early in the summer to be sick of beans."
How can we understand this statement in it's explicit context of soup?
If "eating soup" is really a euphemism for something else that Ennis is certain he never does, then, we begin to understand some things. Only towards the end of the summer does one return to civilization and a more normal sexual diet. But, early in the summer, alone on the mountain, with only another male for companionship, soup and beans are really all that is on the menu.
Ennis: It's a one-shot thing we've got going here...
The scene that follows proves him wrong! :)
-
Jack is very clear when he says "I wont" just settle for beans. He also fumbles getting them open by the fire just prior to peeling the spud while Ennis undresses bathes.. There are so many layers to this story.
-
I think the beans are "tradition", soup is the next level of awareness when traditions are not enough (Ennis is warned to Don't ask for soup..its too difficult..), the Elk (which also is mentioned late in the film,too) is desired---Jack wanted it and Ennis got it/gave it to him even after Ennis said that he would settle for beans and Jack says "Well I won't". Reasonable, maybe?
-
Beans cause flatulence. Soup is something you swallow.
-
See "Blazing Saddles" for a hilarious "bean" scene around a campfire.
-
Howdy from a newbie. I see this discussion is ancient history but in case someone stumbles across it as Ijust did here's my 2 cents worth:
To me the beans vs soup business tells hows us that Jack is not always willing to accept the hand life deals him. But Ennis settles for it over and over.
Also: It is an opportunity for Ennis to do something for Jack. I doubt if before then Ennis thought much about such acts but he has a desire to please Jack. He hates soup. Jack hates beans. We'll take the soup. For Ennis this was like giving the man a box of chocolates and a dozen red roses. It may not yet have been love quite yet but he was head-over-heels in like.
-
Also: It is an opportunity for Ennis to do something for Jack. I doubt if before then Ennis thought much about such acts but he has a desire to please Jack. He hates soup. Jack hates beans. We'll take the soup. For Ennis this was like giving the man a box of chocolates and a dozen red roses. It may not yet have been love quite yet but he was head-over-heels in like.
I absolutely agree. Ennis asks for soup because he cares for Jack. He can't say: "My friend is sick of beans that's why we need soup". He "takes the blame". This is a great sign of affection :) :)