Brokeback Mountain Forum @ ennisjack.com

The Movie & Story => Characters, Quotes & Scenes => Topic started by: jack twist on Jan 25, 2006, 06:58 PM

Title: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jack twist on Jan 25, 2006, 06:58 PM
was ennis gay any thought's??

" I really get the impression Ennis wasn't gay. In fact I don't recall anywhere in the movie where Ennis seems at all attracted to any other man other than Jack. Did I miss something in the movie that suggests Ennis had feelings for any other man? I really think Ennis fell in love and it just happened to be with a man. I'd equate Ennis' love to that of a "man crush" that all heterosexual men experience.

Jack on the other hand was definitely gay. What Jack offered Ennis was a form to express that love he felt.

About Jack: I also walked away from this movie a bit ticked off at Jack. He's the one who initiated the physical part of their relationship. Then when they depart he goes and looks Ennis up 4 years later knowing that Ennis would still have the same feelings. He continues to pressure the guy to create something more but later we find out Jack has been messing around with other men. Jack needed to let it go and move on. I honestly felt in the end that Jacks death was part of his own doing. Jack it was suggested, was a very promiscuous man and ended up suffering a horrible fate for that promiscuity. It all was so very sad.

I know the romantic in all of us wants so much for this movie to mean so many different things. I sorta snicker at how some will take certain scenes and analyze them in a profound way when I doubt seriously if the writer really gave it that much depth.

The story line is raw and obvious. Two strangers meet. One open to expressing physical love to someone of the same sex. The other desperate for that type of love and takes the plunge only to have it haunt him for the rest of his life. The final analysis. Total misery for both characters. It's a very sad story.

One day perhaps there will be a movie about two men who simply fall in love and in the end it's a beautiful walk off into the sunset."
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ethan on Jan 25, 2006, 07:20 PM
Hello jack twist (it makes me feel great just to say this),

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the first post. I edited it and copied the one from the link in the post for easier discussion. I hope you don't mind. As you wander around in the forum, you may find many questions which a lot of us have in mind.

Below is a topic that discuss Jack's sexual orientation and some of the posts may help you answer the question you have.

http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=473.0

Again welcome.  :)

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jack twist on Jan 25, 2006, 07:58 PM
Hi Ethan thanks for the warm welcome, I'ts australia day Public holiday  :) thanks for the link there's so many views on the film from different ppl , thats what makes it so good btw in the tent scene when ennis came in from the cold who initiated it first did ennis put his arm over jack? 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ethan on Jan 25, 2006, 09:53 PM
Hi Ethan thanks for the warm welcome, I'ts australia day Public holiday  :) thanks for the link there's so many views on the film from different ppl , thats what makes it so good btw in the tent scene when ennis came in from the cold who initiated it first did ennis put his arm over jack? 

My pleasure. Jack initiated and took Ennis's hand.

Here is another topic about Ennis. http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=747.0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jeffjoe on Jul 21, 2006, 12:22 AM
Maybe Ennis was gay from the beggining but he don't know, well just look the way he fall in love with Jack, he only need somethig to arouse the real Ennis :c) :^^)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Jul 21, 2006, 06:47 AM
As they say at Oxbridge, first define your terms. What do you mean by "gay"?

For my money, Jack is, or would be, Ennis isn't. But what do I know about it?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: NoReins on Jul 21, 2006, 07:08 AM
Did Heath Ledger not say that he felt Ennis was a homophobic gay man?

My thoughts are that they were both gay. Jack accepted it and was therefore able to have other homosexual experiences, while Ennis could never accept it, something which Jack understood very early on (denying that he was queer in order to make sure Ennis didn't run a mile)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 21, 2006, 07:16 AM
Thanks Ethan for providing links to the related topics.  Unless I did not check carefully that you have also referenced this in the above posts, I would like to provide the link to the more general discussion of Ennis's and Jack's sexuality:

http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=e534b1305cb097aaf3534de74d267b20&topic=1340.0

As has been our policy from the very beginning, we draw a distinction between the characters and the actors themselves.  A discussion of the characters' sexuality in no way translates (and should never translate) into a discussion on the sexuality of the actors who portrayed them. 



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stacp on Jul 21, 2006, 08:17 AM
As they say at Oxbridge, first define your terms. What do you mean by "gay"?

For my money, Jack is, or would be, Ennis isn't. But what do I know about it?

I'm going to say that Ennis was at least bisexual.  Even after Jack was physically absent from his life, he fantasized about him and "wrang it out" 100 times thinking about Jack.  Yes, we didn't see Ennis looking or thinking about other men, but Ennis was a much more faithful guy than Jack (okay, maybe not by Alma).  Also, maybe Ennis wouldn't allow himself to think about other men so he could convince himself he wasn't queer.  Just thinking out loud. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jesseanne21 on Jul 21, 2006, 10:40 AM
At the back of  the Brokeback Mountain story to screenplay book there is article "Getting Movied"  written by BBM author Annie Proulx.   Proulx says she wrote the story of  an "iill-iinformed, confused, not-sure-of-what-he-was-feelikng yourh growing up in homophobic rural Wyoming."  Just from what Proulx writes in the article I think her intention was to show  that both Ennis and Jack were gay, although Ennis was also homophobic.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Jul 21, 2006, 10:55 AM
Good point, stacp. Ennis wouldn't have fantasies about other men because that would be a "queer" thing to do and he isn't queer in his own mind. I think  too he's a faithful sort of guy - he was engaged to Alma before he met Jack and stays with her despite everything - she's the one who leaves him. And he's faithful to Jack in the sense that he's never involved with another man, and doesn't apparently get far with Cassie.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: frances on Jul 21, 2006, 01:29 PM

Also, maybe Ennis wouldn't allow himself to think about other men so he could convince himself he wasn't queer. 

 I see it the same way. But later remarks that Ennis makes in the story, including the "Do you ever think people know?" or  "You're the reason I'm this way" , strongly suggest that Ennis has come to see himself as homosexual (or at least as a man attracted to another man), however he may hate to think of himself this way .
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: christie wood on Jul 21, 2006, 04:36 PM
Did Heath Ledger not say that he felt Ennis was a homophobic gay man?

My thoughts are that they were both gay. Jack accepted it and was therefore able to have other homosexual experiences, while Ennis could never accept it, something which Jack understood very early on (denying that he was queer in order to make sure Ennis didn't run a mile)


You've echoed my thoughts exactly Lindsey, and I was even going to quote Heath Ledger's line about Ennis being a homophobic gay man, but you beat me to it.  ;D  (was that from the Charlie Rose interview, btw?). I think that sums Ennis up completely, and is highlighted in the "you been to Mexico Jack?" line.  In my opinion, he was gay as was Jack (there are no doubts about Jack being gay at all), but Ennis wasnt able to accept it.  He constantly denied his sexuality, persistently denying Jack any long-term commitment other than the fishing trips, and was never able to confront the truth, preferring instead to live a lie.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jesseanne21 on Jul 21, 2006, 04:39 PM
Did Heath Ledger not say that he felt Ennis was a homophobic gay man?

My thoughts are that they were both gay. Jack accepted it and was therefore able to have other homosexual experiences, while Ennis could never accept it, something which Jack understood very early on (denying that he was queer in order to make sure Ennis didn't run a mile)


You've echoed my thoughts exactly Lindsey, and I was even going to quote Heath Ledger's line about Ennis being a homophobic gay man, but you beat me to it.  ;D  (was that from the Charlie Rose interview, btw?). I think that sums Ennis up completely, and is highlighted in the "you been to Mexico Jack?" line.  In my opinion, he was gay as was Jack (there are no doubts about Jack being gay at all), but Ennis wasnt able to accept it.  He constantly denied his sexuality, persistently denying Jack any long-term commitment other than the fishing trips, and was never able to confront the truth, preferring instead to live a lie.



Annie Proulx in an article she wrote "Gettiing Movied" which is at the back of teh BBM story to screenplay book says both Jack and Ennis are gay.  Ennis is also homophobic.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 21, 2006, 04:43 PM
Did Heath Ledger not say that he felt Ennis was a homophobic gay man?

My thoughts are that they were both gay. Jack accepted it and was therefore able to have other homosexual experiences, while Ennis could never accept it, something which Jack understood very early on (denying that he was queer in order to make sure Ennis didn't run a mile)


You've echoed my thoughts exactly Lindsey, and I was even going to quote Heath Ledger's line about Ennis being a homophobic gay man, but you beat me to it.  ;D  (was that from the Charlie Rose interview, btw?). I think that sums Ennis up completely, and is highlighted in the "you been to Mexico Jack?" line.  In my opinion, he was gay as was Jack (there are no doubts about Jack being gay at all), but Ennis wasnt able to accept it.  He constantly denied his sexuality, persistently denying Jack any long-term commitment other than the fishing trips, and was never able to confront the truth, preferring instead to live a lie.



christie and NoReins, you are right, I believe, when you refer to Heath's comment.

I know we are treading on ground that brings out strong reactions here, but I do agree that this is what Proulx had meant when she referred to BBM as a study of homophobia.  It's the tragedy of Ennis coming to grips with himself and his love.  Both are conflicted.  Both are deep.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: christie wood on Jul 21, 2006, 04:54 PM
Did Heath Ledger not say that he felt Ennis was a homophobic gay man?

My thoughts are that they were both gay. Jack accepted it and was therefore able to have other homosexual experiences, while Ennis could never accept it, something which Jack understood very early on (denying that he was queer in order to make sure Ennis didn't run a mile)


You've echoed my thoughts exactly Lindsey, and I was even going to quote Heath Ledger's line about Ennis being a homophobic gay man, but you beat me to it.  ;D  (was that from the Charlie Rose interview, btw?). I think that sums Ennis up completely, and is highlighted in the "you been to Mexico Jack?" line.  In my opinion, he was gay as was Jack (there are no doubts about Jack being gay at all), but Ennis wasnt able to accept it.  He constantly denied his sexuality, persistently denying Jack any long-term commitment other than the fishing trips, and was never able to confront the truth, preferring instead to live a lie.



christie and NoReins, you are right, I believe, when you refer to Heath's comment.

I know we are treading on ground that brings out strong reactions here, but I do agree that this is what Proulx had meant when she referred to BBM as a study of homophobia.  It's the tragedy of Ennis coming to grips with himself and his love.  Both are conflicted.  Both are deep.



Tpe, you are right on two counts in your reply.  Firstly, it is the tragedy of Ennis that cuts so deep with us all I think.  He is in constant conflict with himself and who he has fallen in love with.  He wants to fight it all the time.  He cannot just given in to his emotions and deepest desires.  That would be admitting he was gay, and he wasnt able to do that.

Secondly, although I know that this kind of discussion can bring out strong reactions, I would like to think that we can debate it in an open and intelligent way that does not undermine the seriousness of the subject or the emotional effect that this film has had on many people.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 21, 2006, 05:06 PM
Secondly, although I know that this kind of discussion can bring out strong reactions, I would like to think that we can debate it in an open and intelligent way that does not undermine the seriousness of the subject or the emotional effect that this film has had on many people.

THis is true.  This is what the forum is about.  Thanks.  :)

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: dalemidex on Jul 21, 2006, 09:25 PM
As they say at Oxbridge, first define your terms. What do you mean by "gay"?

For my money, Jack is, or would be, Ennis isn't. But what do I know about it?

I'm going to say that Ennis was at least bisexual.  Even after Jack was physically absent from his life, he fantasized about him and "wrang it out" 100 times thinking about Jack.  Yes, we didn't see Ennis looking or thinking about other men, but Ennis was a much more faithful guy than Jack (okay, maybe not by Alma).  Also, maybe Ennis wouldn't allow himself to think about other men so he could convince himself he wasn't queer.  Just thinking out loud. 

I realize I'm hours late in posting this me-too comment of agreement, but your line of thinking on this is perfection. I've always had the gut feeling that Ennis was gay, but it was hard to make a few of the pieces fit.  You did something I've tried to do for months!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: chameau on Jul 21, 2006, 10:18 PM
Ennis was gay, he fighted against it all his life because his dad traumatized him when he was a boy (the dead Earl scene).  A few hints... the reunion kiss scene, he initiated the kiss and what a kiss it was.   :d)

The first ''fishing trip'', the whole scene on the mountain, Jack caressing his ear and cheek at the end of the scene... Ennis doesn't push him back.

The flashback scene from their last encounter, once again he is the initiator tought this scene is maybe an intimate moment but nothing sexual, he was just happy to held his lover (and was obviously in love).

The two shirts scenes, the first one when he finds the shirts...   :-\\ :\'( The last scene, still with the shirts... Jack I swear...  :\'( :\'( :\'(

What was it? I swear I loved you, I swear I regret... I don't want to go off topic but IMO Ennis was gay, he was just the victim of his epoch, life experience and education.  I  know it's sad  :(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Jul 22, 2006, 05:44 AM
I think Ennis was less gay than Jacksexual. He didn't fantasize about men, just about Jack, and din't go looking for other men. He tried to convince himself ( and Jack, in the motel scene) that he was at least interested in women in general, not just Alma.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ragtimecowboy on Jul 22, 2006, 10:47 PM
I think Ennis was less gay than Jacksexual. He didn't fantasize about men, just about Jack, and din't go looking for other men. He tried to convince himself ( and Jack, in the motel scene) that he was at least interested in women in general, not just Alma.
I'm not so sure he was less gay than Jack. In the tent he did the penetration, as well as in the motel. True Jack did  iniate it in the tent but Ennis, finished it in grand style. In the motel he had just given Jack a thorough jouncing, and was laying back contented in Jack's arms. Both of them were stuck in marriages entered in to for social convention not out deep commitment to the women in their lives. Ennis pretty much summed up at the motel.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Cowboy Cody on Jul 24, 2006, 10:37 PM
Is the Pope Catholic?

Do I have a cupboard full of skin care products?

Yup, he was gay alright. He might have been in denial, but he was gay.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: edgar on Jul 25, 2006, 12:49 AM
Rushing in where angels fear to tread, I'm going to say something that is by no means original with me, but may seem controversial to some on the forum.

Sexuality--which for this purpose we can define as one's natural tendency to be attracted to men or women (or both)--is not an all-or-nothng, up or down, black or white question.

Many have compared sexuality to a continuum or a meter, say, with numbers from 1 to 10 (1 being totally hetero and 10 being totally homo.) Thus, I can't see either Jack or Ennis being a 1 or a 10, since they both have SOME interest in both sexes.

Probably Jack would have a somewhat higher number than Ennis. But it's up for debate how high their numbers would be.

Ahdunno. "Just thinking out loud."

 :c)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: christie wood on Jul 25, 2006, 02:25 AM
Rushing in where angels fear to tread, I'm going to say something that is by no means original with me, but may seem controversial to some on the forum.

Sexuality--which for this purpose we can define as one's natural tendency to be attracted to men or women (or both)--is not an all-or-nothng, up or down, black or white question.

Many have compared sexuality to a continuum or a meter, say, with numbers from 1 to 10 (1 being totally hetero and 10 being totally homo.) Thus, I can't see either Jack or Ennis being a 1 or a 10, since they both have SOME interest in both sexes.

Probably Jack would have a somewhat higher number than Ennis. But it's up for debate how high their numbers would be.

Ahdunno. "Just thinking out loud."

 :c)

Good point Edgar, and I have to agree with you.  Sexuality is not always clear cut.  It's an interesting subject though.  ;)

It's a little crass to say that Jack was "more gay" than Ennis, but if we are comparing them on the 1-10 scale, then Jack would be closer to 10 than Ennis, but only because Ennis hadnt been with anyone else.  Who's to say if Ennis had met another man, he would have realised what he was and accepted it more.

God what am I saying. Ennis with another man?  The thought brings tears to my eyes!  :\'(  I'm straying way off in to the realms of unchartered territory, and I don't like it!


Ennis and Jack = together forever.  There, that's more like it!   :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: FulOfSadness on Jul 25, 2006, 03:25 AM
Yeah, i think Ennis was gay, even before he was with Jack, maybe just too shy to admit it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 25, 2006, 07:01 AM
Here is a related question: if Ennis is gay, does it -- in a way -- make him less or more interesting to you?

For me, it is certainly more interesting if Ennis is indeed gay.  His conflicting tendencies are cast into sharper focus.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Jul 25, 2006, 10:48 AM
How can he be gay when he's so bad-tempere and miserable?

 ~) Couldn't resist.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Cowboy Cody on Jul 25, 2006, 10:57 AM
How can he be gay when he's so bad-tempere and miserable?

 ~) Couldn't resist.

WW - I know many ill-tempered, vicious old queens, who at one time were ill-tempered, miserable young men.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jesseanne21 on Jul 25, 2006, 11:15 AM
Here is a related question: if Ennis is gay, does it -- in a way -- make him less or more interesting to you?

For me, it is certainly more interesting if Ennis is indeed gay.  His conflicting tendencies are cast into sharper focus.



TPE, for me, if iEnnis is gay, is also a more interesting story.  I cannot imagine the degree of inner pain and struggle he must have endured (BBM shows some).

My heart aches for Ennis  :\'(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 25, 2006, 11:26 AM
Here is a related question: if Ennis is gay, does it -- in a way -- make him less or more interesting to you?

For me, it is certainly more interesting if Ennis is indeed gay.  His conflicting tendencies are cast into sharper focus.



TPE, for me, if iEnnis is gay, is also a more interesting story.  I cannot imagine the degree of inner pain and struggle he must have endured (BBM shows some).

My heart aches for Ennis  :\'(


Yes, I agree.  The conflict is at the heart of the story.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jul 25, 2006, 01:55 PM
This topic is one that interests me because I have always heard about boys' boarding schools where it was often a rite of passage to have at least one homosexual encounter.  Were all those boys gay?  Did one incident make them gay?  Does loving only one man, and never really even fantasizing about other men, make one gay?  When I saw this movie with some friends, two of them said, immediately after the viewing, that Ennis and Jack were not gay.  They just loved one another.  (I know Jack had a lot of other men over the years and maybe before Ennis, too, but did he ever LOVE any of them?)  Does love change anything where the gayness is concerned?  Because Ennis loved Jack and ONLY had sex (homosexually) with Jack, is he gay or straight?  Does it matter how many partners he had?  What do you think?  Also, if you read history, many of the ancient Greeks honored homosexuality. Many were married with children, but still had their men partners, and no one thought anything about that.  It was considered natural.  Were these men gay?????
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 25, 2006, 05:08 PM
This topic is one that interests me because I have always heard about boys' boarding schools where it was often a rite of passage to have at least one homosexual encounter.  Were all those boys gay?  Did one incident make them gay?  Does loving only one man, and never really even fantasizing about other men, make one gay?  When I saw this movie with some friends, two of them said, immediately after the viewing, that Ennis and Jack were not gay.  They just loved one another.  (I know Jack had a lot of other men over the years and maybe before Ennis, too, but did he ever LOVE any of them?)  Does love change anything where the gayness is concerned?  Because Ennis loved Jack and ONLY had sex (homosexually) with Jack, is he gay or straight?  Does it matter how many partners he had?  What do you think?  Also, if you read history, many of the ancient Greeks honored homosexuality. Many were married with children, but still had their men partners, and no one thought anything about that.  It was considered natural.  Were these men gay?????

The answer is yes and no.

The greek concept is not the same as the more modern concept of "homosexuality".  Like us today, some Greeks seemed to have loved men exclusively, whereas some loved both men and women.  In the classic Hellenic and the later Hellenistic models, sexuality is more fluid, and hence less clear cut. 

Were some of the ancient Greeks and Romans "homosexual".  From the written accounts and other evidence, the answer is a resounding YES.  The Poet Strato is clearly an example.  And so were some of the great warrior heroes who abhorred the love of women in favor of the love of comrades.

The fluidity of sexuality does not preclude the notion of a sexual orientation.  It is a matter of degree.

In the case of Ennis, there are arguments that can be made in support of his gayness.  Likewise, there are similar arguments that can be made to the contrary.  But the strongest point in support of gayness is Proulx's acknowledgement that BBM is a study of homohobia.  The implication is that of going against one's own inner nature.  This implication is clearly not about a passing phase.  It references the deepest aspect of every one of us: that the nature of how we love and who we love will inevitably see the light and assert itself -- no matter what society or upbringing conditions us to think.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Jul 25, 2006, 06:48 PM
Rushing in where angels fear to tread, I'm going to say something that is by no means original with me, but may seem controversial to some on the forum.

Sexuality--which for this purpose we can define as one's natural tendency to be attracted to men or women (or both)--is not an all-or-nothng, up or down, black or white question.

Many have compared sexuality to a continuum or a meter, say, with numbers from 1 to 10 (1 being totally hetero and 10 being totally homo.) Thus, I can't see either Jack or Ennis being a 1 or a 10, since they both have SOME interest in both sexes.

Probably Jack would have a somewhat higher number than Ennis. But it's up for debate how high their numbers would be.

Ahdunno. "Just thinking out loud."

 :c)

I totally think this, too -- all aspects of people, not just in their sexuality, are on a continuum.  And not only a 1 to 10 meter, but all different aspects, such as what is your natural gender (not that that is even always clear), how masculine or feminine you express your gender, how people perceive you, who you're attracted to, all of that.  Anyway, these are two fascinating characters to spend time trying to figure out!  :f)

Christie and tpe, why does this subject "bring strong reactions out" by the way?  I found that a bit curious, to read you both say that.  I thought that's what we love to talk about here, these characters and their sexual inclinations.  And our own, if we want to talk about it.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: dalemidex on Jul 25, 2006, 09:47 PM
Christie and tpe, why does this subject "bring strong reactions out" by the way?  I found that a bit curious, to read you both say that. 
kathy

I'll agree with Christie and tpe on that -- it does seem to bring out strong reactions.  I base that on various on-board and off-board conversations I've been part of where any notion of Ennis being gay -- or not gay -- has launched some sharp debate.

Why is this?

I do think some people just enjoy a raucous debate, and this is the perfect topic for BBM'ers.  Strong arguments can be made both ways, and it's a central point of the story.   So the ground is fertile.

A second reason is in the way one defines "gay".  To some people, when they speak of Ennis as "gay" they are speaking of Ennis' having a core desire of intimacy primarily directed toward  men.  Perhaps this was stunted greatly by internal homophobia, confusion and denial, but nevertheless they see it as there.  Hence Ennis is gay.  Others see the word "gay" as a more involved, complex tag that includes much more than that,  including a sense of identity, a particular sensibility, even a  way of life.  Hence Ennis was a million miles away from this definition of "gay".  This difference has been behind more than one "was Ennis gay?" debate.  And clearly if you think of "gay" as the second, it is probably frustrating to see so many people using "gay" to describe our boy.

Finally I do think there are deeper undercurrents that influence some people to one degree or another.  From some Ennis-is-gay people I've occasionally gotten the vibe that it is important to them for Ennis to be gay.  Having someone so conventionally masculine "on their team" is an attractive aspect to the story.  Making Ennis straight lessens the "gay" of this ground-breaking gay love story.  Kind of like finding out that the beloved Asian detective Charlie Chan wasn't even played by an Asian actor.  A possible, deeper subcontext could be that gay Ennis soothes self-doubts that gay men have about their own masculinity.

For those on the "Ennis is straight" side I've sometimes sensed strong notions that making Ennis gay cheapens the story.  That a straight Ennis is important to validate the incredible power of love overwhelming even innate sexual orientation.  If Ennis and Jack are just a couple of gay guys, it's just another love story with obstacles.  I knew someone who even felt it cheapened the power love itself (as shown in the story)  if they were both gay.  (He did not imply or believe that gay love is less than straight love, but that Ennis being straight added a critical dimension to the story.)  A  deeper subcontext could be that straight Ennis appeals to the notion that the power of pure love can make a straight man fall in love with a gay man.

No, I'm not saying that these are the true motivations behind people on the two sides of the argument.  But as the issue has come up in debate over the past month, I do think some of the heat on this topic came from these competing ideas, each with its own attraction.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jeffjoe on Jul 25, 2006, 11:02 PM
It's so complicated, try to understand the heart of a lonely man, maybe he was not, or maybe he just want to be gay but deny this feeling because his world will be cruel with him...   
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Jul 26, 2006, 01:35 AM
Christie and tpe, why does this subject "bring strong reactions out" by the way?  I found that a bit curious, to read you both say that. 
kathy

I'll agree with Christie and tpe on that -- it does seem to bring out strong reactions.  I base that on various on-board and off-board conversations I've been part of where any notion of Ennis being gay -- or not gay -- has launched some sharp debate.

Why is this?

I do think some people just enjoy a raucous debate, and this is the perfect topic for BBM'ers.  Strong arguments can be made both ways, and it's a central point of the story.   So the ground is fertile.

A second reason is in the way one defines "gay".  To some people, when they speak of Ennis as "gay" they are speaking of Ennis' having a core desire of intimacy primarily directed toward  men.  Perhaps this was stunted greatly by internal homophobia, confusion and denial, but nevertheless they see it as there.  Hence Ennis is gay.  Others see the word "gay" as a more involved, complex tag that includes much more than that,  including a sense of identity, a particular sensibility, even a  way of life.  Hence Ennis was a million miles away from this definition of "gay".  This difference has been behind more than one "was Ennis gay?" debate.  And clearly if you think of "gay" as the second, it is probably frustrating to see so many people using "gay" to describe our boy.

Finally I do think there are deeper undercurrents that influence some people to one degree or another.  From some Ennis-is-gay people I've occasionally gotten the vibe that it is important to them for Ennis to be gay.  Having someone so conventionally masculine "on their team" is an attractive aspect to the story.  Making Ennis straight lessens the "gay" of this ground-breaking gay love story.  Kind of like finding out that the beloved Asian detective Charlie Chan wasn't even played by an Asian actor.  A possible, deeper subcontext could be that gay Ennis soothes self-doubts that gay men have about their own masculinity.

For those on the "Ennis is straight" side I've sometimes sensed strong notions that making Ennis gay cheapens the story.  That a straight Ennis is important to validate the incredible power of love overwhelming even innate sexual orientation.  If Ennis and Jack are just a couple of gay guys, it's just another love story with obstacles.  I knew someone who even felt it cheapened the power love itself (as shown in the story)  if they were both gay.  (He did not imply or believe that gay love is less than straight love, but that Ennis being straight added a critical dimension to the story.)  A  deeper subcontext could be that straight Ennis appeals to the notion that the power of pure love can make a straight man fall in love with a gay man.

No, I'm not saying that these are the true motivations behind people on the two sides of the argument.  But as the issue has come up in debate over the past month, I do think some of the heat on this topic came from these competing ideas, each with its own attraction.

Thanks Dale -- I love your quite interesting explanation of the different sides of this "debate."  I'm kind of a middle person -- I can see it either way.  And obviously, my not being a man, Ennis's being gay or not doesn't hold an actual personal relating for me.  (If the characters were women, I would have a different set of feelings perhaps.)  I care a lot, though, about this question not only for the drama of the story, but about everything the story represents to us in real life.  So I guess I can understand these strong feelings here on this question.  Maybe a main aspect of this has to do with that some people feel they were "born gay," and some people have had a more flexible becoming into gayness.  I'm of the flexible bent, so to speak.

Let's see, how do I see Ennis?  As having since his younger years at the least curiosity about loving men (which curiosity of course had to have come from feeling inclined that way) and then all those feelings and curiosity being tainted by the Earl situation, and thus his terrible internal conflicts and repression.  So I can see him at 19 as neither straight nor gay.  Or, I should say, both straight and gay.  Living a straight life, but having gayness in his heart.  Enter Jack...  (Yet the question still never got a chance to really get answered, just because of his psychoemotional composition of fighting himself and Jack over this love he felt.)

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: edgar on Jul 26, 2006, 02:21 AM

In the case of Ennis, there are arguments that can be made in support of his gayness.  Likewise, there are similar arguments that can be made to the contrary.  But the strongest point in support of gayness is Proulx's acknowledgement that BBM is a study of homohobia.  The implication is that of going against one's own inner nature.  This implication is clearly not about a passing phase.  It references the deepest aspect of every one of us: that the nature of how we love and who we love will inevitably see the light and assert itself -- no matter what society or upbringing conditions us to think.
 

I very much respect your thoughts, tpe, but I'm afraid I have to disagree. I understand Proulx's comment as the role of society in the work. If I recall, she included the setting in her comment to which you refer.... Something like "a study of homophobia in Wyoming at that time." Thus, I think her comment emphasizes the social factors like Ennis's upbringing, the Earl incident, the need for the "I'm not queer" conversation, etc. Also, the spectre of the tire iron which hangs over the short story (more than the movie) is a sort of symbol for the REAL THREAT of violence and death that Jack and Ennis had to face. I thought Ennis's statement "If this thing grabs ahold of us at the wrong place, wrong time, we're dead" was more of a central passage in the short story. It indicates more about the reality of the society than any of Ennis's personal hangups.

Then of course there is the death of Jack, which proves Ennis was right and proves that society really was homophobic.

I don't actually think "homophobic" is an accurate term to apply to a man who is gay but ashamed. I think it applies to straight people/dominant culture who are afraid something different from themselves.

Ennis gay? maybe (but, as I indicated, it's not a black/white issue imo). Ennis homophobic? maybe. But if so, it could possibly indicate he's straight, or at least that he's bought into the dominant culture's marginalization of/discrimination against gay people.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Jul 26, 2006, 04:06 AM
Hi, I've come back to this interesting topic after months, because there is a discussion going on on the "you may be a sinner" thread, about whether Ennis is gay and if he really wanted Jack to come on to him in the FNIT scene or not. So I remembered this thread and I can see it has evolved a lot since I last read it.

What struck me most were the ideas that people either "need" Ennis to be gay or the opposite. That they need it to accomodate their own views of the world, of love of gayness. I think that is so true! The same thing happens with another topic that was heatedly discussed for a time: Is being gay or homosexual something you are born with or not ( a thread I started in January). I would say, in both cases, it has to do with what we need to be true, both as a society and as an individual. The answers have been widely different over the centuries, even the ancient Greeks and Romans already disagreed about it. And this is why there is such a heated discussion going on about it.

Do I think Ennis was gay? As I said in the other thread: If being gay means defining yourself as gay, then no, Ennis never defined himself as gay. He fought hard against that all his life and it nearly (or fully)) broke him up as a human being. If being gay means having sex with other men (or one man), then yes, he is gay. If being gay means focussing your desire for intimacy on one sex or the other, I'm not sure, because there definitely was intimacy with Alma as well. And many marriages never get more intimate than what Ennis and Alma had. He wanted so desperately to have a real family, a home life, what he couldn't have as a kid, because his parents died early on: He wanted security, normality, and a life with Jack couldn't give him that. But he couldn't live without Jack either. So he was caught in between. And maybe that is what we will have to say in the end: He was caught between being gay and leading a "normal" life, because he couldn't keep from wanting both, and both society and the way he was made emotionally didn't allow him any way out. Poor Ennis! Poor everybody, who has or had to live with this dilemma. You all have my unswerving solidarity. We shall overcome  %)

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: gimmejack on Jul 26, 2006, 04:28 AM
Interestingly enough the term bi-sexual is hardly mentioned as if it's a bad word. Since we are on this topic, I would love some input as to why that is.  I'm sure the answers will be intruiging.

Ennis seems neither gay nor straight...yes he fell in love with a man but he was still "able" to have sex with other women.  Gray area=bisexual to me.  However, labeling humans as anything at all can be destructive in so many ways.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: dalemidex on Jul 26, 2006, 07:01 AM
As long as we're on this topic, here's a thought I had some time ago.  If Ennis was a gay man, did his father perhaps pick up on this during Ennis' boyhood, leading to the whole Earl & Rich episode?

Many gay men (that this is a stereotype, I readily admit) were kind, polite, gentle, quiet, somewhat out-of-place young boys.  I don't think it's a huge stretch to see a young Ennis as most or all of these things.  Remember he's 19 when we see him...how many rural=bred 1960's 19-year old men were as polite as Ennis is from the start?  Or as considerate for Jack, even from the early stages of their friendship?

From the 1963 Ennis I don't think it's too hard to extrapolate backwards to guess the kind of kid Ennis might have been.  And if so, Did Ennis' father pick up on this?  Worry that his son wasn't becoming enough of a man for him?  Did this perhaps even spur on the murder of Earl, one which I've grown to believe was almost certainly done by Ennis' father?  Ennis as an adult has certainly toughed into a conventional man, but he's unusually polite and considerate for tye average guy of his age.

Again, this is based somewhat on stereotype.  Every sensitive little boy is not a gay man, and every gay man was not this type of child.  But plenty of gay men were indeed fish-out-of-water children noted for polite and gentle behavior.  Ennis could have been a straight man with a sensitive-boy childhood, and his father may still have killed Earl in fear that his sensitive son was turning out queer even if Ennis ultimately wasn't.  That's possible, too.  But if Ennis was gay, to me this is just one more way in which all the pieces seem to fit so much better. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 26, 2006, 07:11 AM
Rushing in where angels fear to tread, I'm going to say something that is by no means original with me, but may seem controversial to some on the forum.

Sexuality--which for this purpose we can define as one's natural tendency to be attracted to men or women (or both)--is not an all-or-nothng, up or down, black or white question.

Many have compared sexuality to a continuum or a meter, say, with numbers from 1 to 10 (1 being totally hetero and 10 being totally homo.) Thus, I can't see either Jack or Ennis being a 1 or a 10, since they both have SOME interest in both sexes.

Probably Jack would have a somewhat higher number than Ennis. But it's up for debate how high their numbers would be.

Ahdunno. "Just thinking out loud."

 :c)

I totally think this, too -- all aspects of people, not just in their sexuality, are on a continuum.  And not only a 1 to 10 meter, but all different aspects, such as what is your natural gender (not that that is even always clear), how masculine or feminine you express your gender, how people perceive you, who you're attracted to, all of that.  Anyway, these are two fascinating characters to spend time trying to figure out!  :f)

Christie and tpe, why does this subject "bring strong reactions out" by the way?  I found that a bit curious, to read you both say that.  I thought that's what we love to talk about here, these characters and their sexual inclinations.  And our own, if we want to talk about it.

kathy

Hello kathy,

I was just a bit surprised at the strong reactions in the old thread I referenced in the first page of this thread (about Ennis and Jack being gay, bisexual, or human).  I personally believe that sexuality is a continuum, with different degrees defining one's orientation.  Some people understandably feel strongly about the nature of sexuality because it can be manipulated as a means to an end... 

:)

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 26, 2006, 07:15 AM
Christie and tpe, why does this subject "bring strong reactions out" by the way?  I found that a bit curious, to read you both say that. 
kathy

I'll agree with Christie and tpe on that -- it does seem to bring out strong reactions.  I base that on various on-board and off-board conversations I've been part of where any notion of Ennis being gay -- or not gay -- has launched some sharp debate.

Why is this?

I do think some people just enjoy a raucous debate, and this is the perfect topic for BBM'ers.  Strong arguments can be made both ways, and it's a central point of the story.   So the ground is fertile.

A second reason is in the way one defines "gay".  To some people, when they speak of Ennis as "gay" they are speaking of Ennis' having a core desire of intimacy primarily directed toward  men.  Perhaps this was stunted greatly by internal homophobia, confusion and denial, but nevertheless they see it as there.  Hence Ennis is gay.  Others see the word "gay" as a more involved, complex tag that includes much more than that,  including a sense of identity, a particular sensibility, even a  way of life.  Hence Ennis was a million miles away from this definition of "gay".  This difference has been behind more than one "was Ennis gay?" debate.  And clearly if you think of "gay" as the second, it is probably frustrating to see so many people using "gay" to describe our boy.

Finally I do think there are deeper undercurrents that influence some people to one degree or another.  From some Ennis-is-gay people I've occasionally gotten the vibe that it is important to them for Ennis to be gay.  Having someone so conventionally masculine "on their team" is an attractive aspect to the story.  Making Ennis straight lessens the "gay" of this ground-breaking gay love story.  Kind of like finding out that the beloved Asian detective Charlie Chan wasn't even played by an Asian actor.  A possible, deeper subcontext could be that gay Ennis soothes self-doubts that gay men have about their own masculinity.

For those on the "Ennis is straight" side I've sometimes sensed strong notions that making Ennis gay cheapens the story.  That a straight Ennis is important to validate the incredible power of love overwhelming even innate sexual orientation.  If Ennis and Jack are just a couple of gay guys, it's just another love story with obstacles.  I knew someone who even felt it cheapened the power love itself (as shown in the story)  if they were both gay.  (He did not imply or believe that gay love is less than straight love, but that Ennis being straight added a critical dimension to the story.)  A  deeper subcontext could be that straight Ennis appeals to the notion that the power of pure love can make a straight man fall in love with a gay man.

No, I'm not saying that these are the true motivations behind people on the two sides of the argument.  But as the issue has come up in debate over the past month, I do think some of the heat on this topic came from these competing ideas, each with its own attraction.

Very well put.  These arguments certainly show the complexity and internal workings behind the gay-straight debate.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 26, 2006, 07:17 AM
It's so complicated, try to understand the heart of a lonely man, maybe he was not, or maybe he just want to be gay but deny this feeling because his world will be cruel with him...   

Yes.  It is complicated.  And very deeply conflicted.  This is what makes things hard to pigeonhole.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 26, 2006, 07:23 AM
Let's see, how do I see Ennis?  As having since his younger years at the least curiosity about loving men (which curiosity of course had to have come from feeling inclined that way) and then all those feelings and curiosity being tainted by the Earl situation, and thus his terrible internal conflicts and repression.  So I can see him at 19 as neither straight nor gay.  Or, I should say, both straight and gay.  Living a straight life, but having gayness in his heart.  Enter Jack...  (Yet the question still never got a chance to really get answered, just because of his psychoemotional composition of fighting himself and Jack over this love he felt.)

kathy

The answer is less important than the process of seeking out an answer.  Thanks kathy.

To add to the confusion are the enigmatic statements "You know I ain't queer" and "Me neither".  To me, there is a subtle distinction between "queerness" and "gayness" in the context of that scene...

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 26, 2006, 07:29 AM
I very much respect your thoughts, tpe, but I'm afraid I have to disagree. I understand Proulx's comment as the role of society in the work. If I recall, she included the setting in her comment to which you refer.... Something like "a study of homophobia in Wyoming at that time." Thus, I think her comment emphasizes the social factors like Ennis's upbringing, the Earl incident, the need for the "I'm not queer" conversation, etc. Also, the spectre of the tire iron which hangs over the short story (more than the movie) is a sort of symbol for the REAL THREAT of violence and death that Jack and Ennis had to face. I thought Ennis's statement "If this thing grabs ahold of us at the wrong place, wrong time, we're dead" was more of a central passage in the short story. It indicates more about the reality of the society than any of Ennis's personal hangups.

Then of course there is the death of Jack, which proves Ennis was right and proves that society really was homophobic.

I don't actually think "homophobic" is an accurate term to apply to a man who is gay but ashamed. I think it applies to straight people/dominant culture who are afraid something different from themselves.

Ennis gay? maybe (but, as I indicated, it's not a black/white issue imo). Ennis homophobic? maybe. But if so, it could possibly indicate he's straight, or at least that he's bought into the dominant culture's marginalization of/discrimination against gay people.

Hello edgar.  I do agree with you that the study of homophobia is intrinsically related to the society in which Ennis and Jack evolved and revolved.  But if I remember a number of Proulx's essays and interviews correctly enough (e.g., the one that accompanies the screenplay and the Missouri Review article) the context is very much internal to Ennis as it is external.  It is in this context that I interpreted the implication in question.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 26, 2006, 07:46 AM
Hi, I've come back to this interesting topic after months, because there is a discussion going on on the "you may be a sinner" thread, about whether Ennis is gay and if he really wanted Jack to come on to him in the FNIT scene or not. So I remembered this thread and I can see it has evolved a lot since I last read it.

What struck me most were the ideas that people either "need" Ennis to be gay or the opposite. That they need it to accomodate their own views of the world, of love of gayness. I think that is so true! The same thing happens with another topic that was heatedly discussed for a time: Is being gay or homosexual something you are born with or not ( a thread I started in January). I would say, in both cases, it has to do with what we need to be true, both as a society and as an individual. The answers have been widely different over the centuries, even the ancient Greeks and Romans already disagreed about it. And this is why there is such a heated discussion going on about it.

Do I think Ennis was gay? As I said in the other thread: If being gay means defining yourself as gay, then no, Ennis never defined himself as gay. He fought hard against that all his life and it nearly (or fully)) broke him up as a human being. If being gay means having sex with other men (or one man), then yes, he is gay. If being gay means focussing your desire for intimacy on one sex or the other, I'm not sure, because there definitely was intimacy with Alma as well. And many marriages never get more intimate than what Ennis and Alma had. He wanted so desperately to have a real family, a home life, what he couldn't have as a kid, because his parents died early on: He wanted security, normality, and a life with Jack couldn't give him that. But he couldn't live without Jack either. So he was caught in between. And maybe that is what we will have to say in the end: He was caught between being gay and leading a "normal" life, because he couldn't keep from wanting both, and both society and the way he was made emotionally didn't allow him any way out. Poor Ennis! Poor everybody, who has or had to live with this dilemma. You all have my unswerving solidarity. We shall overcome  %)

monicita

Thanks monicita.  And as elucidated here and in other posts, gayness as a world view can sometimes preordain one's own judgements in matters like this.

It really depends on one's notion of gayness.

For me, it is a question of degree.  A gay person is certainly not incapable of having sex with the oppsosite gender.  One of my older gay friends did have sex in his late teens with a woman and enjoyed it.  But since then, he had found out for himself that sex with men was infinitely more to his liking, and has stuck to that preference.  Was he bisexual at one point?  as he perhaps straight in his early years?

I am treading on dangerous ground here, but what distinguishes a gay person from a bisexual person?  Certainly NOT physical faculties, as both are capable to having sex with the opposite gender.

IMO, what distinguishes a gay person from a bisexual person is intertwined mental and physiological PREFERENCE.  In short, it is a matter of degree.  A gay man is just as capable of having an orgasm with a female partner as would a bisexual man.  It just so happens that a gay man has decided that sex with men is more pleasureable (mentally and physiologically) for him and that a bisexual man finds sex with men and women equally pleasureable.

What has this to do with Ennis?  Ennis's ability to have sex and enjoy sex with women does not define him being straight.  Even put Jack into the equation, and it still does not definitively define him as bisexual.  As I have elaborated in the above argument, gayness is a matter of degree and mental and physiological preference.  It is subtle.  It is not a simple matter.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Jul 26, 2006, 09:10 AM
If it has to do with how one sees oneself, then Ennis doesn't see himself as gay; not a word he'd have recognized in context. He tried to believe or convince himslef he was straight, I think, hence so many of his problems. Don't know how Jack would have defined himself, though I think, if the word had been current, he wouldn't have objected to gay as a description of him.

Strictly speaking since they both had sex with another man/men and both fathered children I suppose they're both bisexual. I can almost imagine Jack taking a sort of pride in that epithet, but not Ennis.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jul 26, 2006, 09:54 AM
After reading all the recent posts on this thread, I think the answer is obvious.  It really just does not matter what Ennis was.  Why do we have to label everything?  The fact is, he loved Jack, and, I do believe, he loved Alma, although it probably wasn't to the same degree.  We always have to pigeonhole everyone, but for what purpose?  Well, Ennis is Ennis, and he is consistent throughout the story.  He is true to himself, and that's enough for me.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jesseanne21 on Jul 26, 2006, 10:13 AM
If it has to do with how one sees oneself, then Ennis doesn't see himself as gay; not a word he'd have recognized in context. He tried to believe or convince himslef he was straight, I think, hence so many of his problems. Don't know how Jack would have defined himself, though I think, if the word had been current, he wouldn't have objected to gay as a description of him.

Strictly speaking since they both had sex with another man/men and both fathered children I suppose they're both bisexual. I can almost imagine Jack taking a sort of pride in that epithet, but not Ennis.

I agree with you, Welshwitch...the most important thing is how Ennis saw himself

In one of his books, David Viscott said something like the thing that makes most people unhappy is that ther inner lives (thoughts, feelings, emotions, wants, needs, desires) don't match their outer lives (the face they show the world, what they want other people to believe about them).  The struggle between the inner life and the outer life (basically the struggle between the heart versus the head) is life's greatest challenge. 

Ennis greatest challenge was his love/desire for Jack versus living in world that condemned that. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Jul 26, 2006, 10:42 AM
Objectively it may not matter what label is attached to people, but the "queer" one obviously worried Ennis, if not Jack. And was Ennis actually true to himself? If he had been, wouldn't he have been less conflicted? My feeling is that what he wouldn't do was the one thing he needed to - ie admit he loved Jack, whatever that made him.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 26, 2006, 10:46 AM
After reading all the recent posts on this thread, I think the answer is obvious.  It really just does not matter what Ennis was.  Why do we have to label everything?  The fact is, he loved Jack, and, I do believe, he loved Alma, although it probably wasn't to the same degree.  We always have to pigeonhole everyone, but for what purpose?  Well, Ennis is Ennis, and he is consistent throughout the story.  He is true to himself, and that's enough for me.

Hello lamusica.  :)

All labels are simply approximates.  You can get reasonably close to the nature of things by a well-thought-out definition.  But people tend to forget subtleties when they use labels.  It is understandable.

I don't really think there is anything intrinsically wrong with labels.  They can identify and unite as much as obfuscate and cause divisions.  In the case of Ennis, his sexuality is a valid point of discussion, if only to illuminate our own notions of sex and human nature.

Let us not forget that many people use labels to get a handle on things.  Some are too simplistic and prefer to apply labels simplistically.  Others elaborate labels so much that the underlying point is obscured.  Like almost everything in life, labels tell us about the people who use them as much as the ideas behind them.

As to jesseanne21'a and welshwitch's comment, I agree to a point.  But how many times in life have we seen people live their lives in denial?  Ennis -- and any individual, for that matter -- is never a closed entity.  Knowledge of oneself is never a simple matter as how we see ourselves.  Our vision of ourselves and others constantly evolve.  How Ennis saw himself in the beginning is not the same thing he saw in the end.  That is the journey that is life.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stacp on Jul 26, 2006, 01:35 PM
Hi, I've come back to this interesting topic after months, because there is a discussion going on on the "you may be a sinner" thread, about whether Ennis is gay and if he really wanted Jack to come on to him in the FNIT scene or not. So I remembered this thread and I can see it has evolved a lot since I last read it.

What struck me most were the ideas that people either "need" Ennis to be gay or the opposite. That they need it to accomodate their own views of the world, of love of gayness. I think that is so true! The same thing happens with another topic that was heatedly discussed for a time: Is being gay or homosexual something you are born with or not ( a thread I started in January). I would say, in both cases, it has to do with what we need to be true, both as a society and as an individual. The answers have been widely different over the centuries, even the ancient Greeks and Romans already disagreed about it. And this is why there is such a heated discussion going on about it.

Do I think Ennis was gay? As I said in the other thread: If being gay means defining yourself as gay, then no, Ennis never defined himself as gay. He fought hard against that all his life and it nearly (or fully)) broke him up as a human being. If being gay means having sex with other men (or one man), then yes, he is gay. If being gay means focussing your desire for intimacy on one sex or the other, I'm not sure, because there definitely was intimacy with Alma as well. And many marriages never get more intimate than what Ennis and Alma had. He wanted so desperately to have a real family, a home life, what he couldn't have as a kid, because his parents died early on: He wanted security, normality, and a life with Jack couldn't give him that. But he couldn't live without Jack either. So he was caught in between. And maybe that is what we will have to say in the end: He was caught between being gay and leading a "normal" life, because he couldn't keep from wanting both, and both society and the way he was made emotionally didn't allow him any way out. Poor Ennis! Poor everybody, who has or had to live with this dilemma. You all have my unswerving solidarity. We shall overcome  %)

monicita

Monicita, I loved your post and agree that if Ennis is gay depends on how you define that term (and I would imagine there are many "definitions" out there).  However, I really don't see the "intimacy" between Ennis and Alma.  Yes, you see them at home, at the drive-in, and sledding but I didn't detect real intimacy in those scenes.  Ennis to me looks aloof during the drive-in scene, sitting with his arm around Alma in a perfunctory fashion.  In the bedroom scene, Alma desperately tries to have intimacy with Ennis as they are making love (and I am separating sex from intimacy here) but then he flips her over, cutting off the intimacy.  I'm not saying intimacy didn't happen between Alma and Ennis, I just didn't see it.  I think the fact that Ennis seemed attracted (in some way) to both men and women makes him at least bisexual.  But that's IMO.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Jul 26, 2006, 02:38 PM
The relationship between Ennis and Alma seems to me to lack something almost undefinable - deep intimacy and uinderstanding, allied to passion that comes unforced and is mutually pleasurable? They seem to be so involved in the minutiae of daily existence, like most of us, trapped by routine and the demands of childcare and making a living; they're alos both fairly non-verbal and never seem to discuss anything. I never get any sense of physical harmony between them; of course Alma has two children and apparently wants more, but that's a different issue and there's at least a suspicion that the children may be more what she wants than Ennis. Once married to Monroe she's pregnant again ? fairly soon.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Jul 26, 2006, 05:05 PM
Interestingly enough the term bi-sexual is hardly mentioned as if it's a bad word. Since we are on this topic, I would love some input as to why that is.  I'm sure the answers will be intruiging.

Ennis seems neither gay nor straight...yes he fell in love with a man but he was still "able" to have sex with other women.  Gray area=bisexual to me.  However, labeling humans as anything at all can be destructive in so many ways.


I'll say right out that I would call myself bisexual, well aware that it bothers some people.  I think anyone with a "gray area" opinion about anything, not just their sexual identity, is often disapproved of by some people, because those some people want their answers in yes or no, black or white.  I don't generally do black or white. 

I would hope that's changing, the need to say one way is right and the other way is wrong.  I always hope everything is changing, for the better of course -- but I'm not so sure.  Besides, the definition of "bisexual" is as not-clear-cut as the definitions of "gay" and "straight."  Anyway, it's not exactly even true that I'm bisexual, only unless the male of the equation is also bisexual -- in other words, I wouldn't be with "straight" men or women, only gay or bisexual men or women.  And while we're at it, I have strong feelings for transgendered people, though that doesn't really have anything to do with this BBM story.  Only that I would hope we can add some of that into our mix also.

kathy


kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 26, 2006, 05:22 PM
I'll say right out that I would call myself bisexual, well aware that it bothers some people.  I think anyone with a "gray area" opinion about anything, not just their sexual identity, is often disapproved of by some people, because those some people want their answers in yes or no, black or white.  I don't generally do black or white. 

I would hope that's changing, the need to say one way is right and the other way is wrong.  I always hope everything is changing, for the better of course -- but I'm not so sure.  Besides, the definition of "bisexual" is as not-clear-cut as the definitions of "gay" and "straight."  Anyway, it's not exactly even true that I'm bisexual, only unless the male of the equation is also bisexual -- in other words, I wouldn't be with "straight" men or women, only gay or bisexual men or women.  And while we're at it, I have strong feelings for transgendered people, though that doesn't really have anything to do with this BBM story.  Only that I would hope we can add some of that into our mix also.

kathy

kathy, I suspect that what you describe here is much more common that people are wont to admit.  Thanks.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: gimmejack on Jul 26, 2006, 05:29 PM
Interestingly enough the term bi-sexual is hardly mentioned as if it's a bad word. Since we are on this topic, I would love some input as to why that is.  I'm sure the answers will be intruiging.

Ennis seems neither gay nor straight...yes he fell in love with a man but he was still "able" to have sex with other women.  Gray area=bisexual to me.  However, labeling humans as anything at all can be destructive in so many ways.


I'll say right out that I would call myself bisexual, well aware that it bothers some people.  I think anyone with a "gray area" opinion about anything, not just their sexual identity, is often disapproved of by some people, because those some people want their answers in yes or no, black or white.  I don't generally do black or white. 

I would hope that's changing, the need to say one way is right and the other way is wrong.  I always hope everything is changing, for the better of course -- but I'm not so sure.  Besides, the definition of "bisexual" is as not-clear-cut as the definitions of "gay" and "straight."  Anyway, it's not exactly even true that I'm bisexual, only unless the male of the equation is also bisexual -- in other words, I wouldn't be with "straight" men or women, only gay or bisexual men or women.  And while we're at it, I have strong feelings for transgendered people, though that doesn't really have anything to do with this BBM story.  Only that I would hope we can add some of that into our mix also.

kathy


kathy
I guess youre right, it's the need for a yes or no answer...a black and white clear cut situation.  Some people will never be comfortable with the gray area and will always have a need to define themselves and others...an impossible task!!  Thanks for your input. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Jul 26, 2006, 06:32 PM
I guess if you're bothered by the notion of bisexuality you're probably bothered by a mass of other things as well. What you're probably nopt doing is looking into yourself or at others, except to categorize and criticize.

There used to be an English expression - "It doesn't matter what you do as long as it doesn't frighten the horses." I think the world might in some way be a better place if we stuck with that. What we do in bed and with/to whom seems to me to be a limited part of what we are.

If you define bisexual as capable of having sex with men or women, then many people, perhaps most,  would flt into that category. If you define it by excluding those who don't put their desires or interest into action, then it's a smaller number, depending on how you define having sex. It all comes back to defining one's terms and does it really matter?
When we see ennis and Jack in the SNIT sequences what matters is the love and tenderness between them, not whether they're male, female or Martian.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: chameau on Jul 26, 2006, 06:39 PM
Quote
When we see ennis and Jack in the SNIT sequences what matters is the love and tenderness between them, not whether they're male, female or Martian.

Very well said and true, thank you!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Jul 26, 2006, 06:55 PM
Christie and tpe, why does this subject "bring strong reactions out" by the way?  I found that a bit curious, to read you both say that. 
kathy

I'll agree with Christie and tpe on that -- it does seem to bring out strong reactions.  I base that on various on-board and off-board conversations I've been part of where any notion of Ennis being gay -- or not gay -- has launched some sharp debate.

Why is this?

I do think some people just enjoy a raucous debate, and this is the perfect topic for BBM'ers.  Strong arguments can be made both ways, and it's a central point of the story.   So the ground is fertile.

A second reason is in the way one defines "gay".  To some people, when they speak of Ennis as "gay" they are speaking of Ennis' having a core desire of intimacy primarily directed toward  men.  Perhaps this was stunted greatly by internal homophobia, confusion and denial, but nevertheless they see it as there.  Hence Ennis is gay.  Others see the word "gay" as a more involved, complex tag that includes much more than that,  including a sense of identity, a particular sensibility, even a  way of life.  Hence Ennis was a million miles away from this definition of "gay".  This difference has been behind more than one "was Ennis gay?" debate.  And clearly if you think of "gay" as the second, it is probably frustrating to see so many people using "gay" to describe our boy.

Finally I do think there are deeper undercurrents that influence some people to one degree or another.  From some Ennis-is-gay people I've occasionally gotten the vibe that it is important to them for Ennis to be gay.  Having someone so conventionally masculine "on their team" is an attractive aspect to the story.  Making Ennis straight lessens the "gay" of this ground-breaking gay love story.  Kind of like finding out that the beloved Asian detective Charlie Chan wasn't even played by an Asian actor.  A possible, deeper subcontext could be that gay Ennis soothes self-doubts that gay men have about their own masculinity.

For those on the "Ennis is straight" side I've sometimes sensed strong notions that making Ennis gay cheapens the story.  That a straight Ennis is important to validate the incredible power of love overwhelming even innate sexual orientation.  If Ennis and Jack are just a couple of gay guys, it's just another love story with obstacles.  I knew someone who even felt it cheapened the power love itself (as shown in the story)  if they were both gay.  (He did not imply or believe that gay love is less than straight love, but that Ennis being straight added a critical dimension to the story.)  A  deeper subcontext could be that straight Ennis appeals to the notion that the power of pure love can make a straight man fall in love with a gay man.

No, I'm not saying that these are the true motivations behind people on the two sides of the argument.  But as the issue has come up in debate over the past month, I do think some of the heat on this topic came from these competing ideas, each with its own attraction.

I'm replying to this post a second time.  You've made me think of something else on this subject.  First of all, of course, defining anything depends on the terms of the person doing the defining.  I think that defining Ennis as gay or straight would have even more significance to one particular group:  straight men.  I'll just say this about straight men, not women, because generally speaking, straight women are more accepting of gay men than straight men are.  I know that's a big generalization and isn't always true by any means, but for straight (or any) women, gay men can be the best of both worlds -- they're not a physical threat, as in rape, which straight men are; and we can be friends without the bothersome aspects of sexual tension and all that leads to.  It's a beautiful thing for Mars and Venus to be friends, more rare than same-sex friends.  Kind of the opposite of being gay.  ;)

Anyway, back to straight men, who are, after all, "society."  I want this movie to have a big impact on how society sees gay men.  So, to the "typical" straight man (if there is such a thing) (and I don't think "typical" would apply to any of our straight men here on this forum)...to the typical straight man, is the story of Ennis and Jack more powerful and potentially life-changing to a straight man if Ennis is straight or if he's gay?  You'd think the answer would be the obvious one:  if Ennis is straight.  But on the other hand, let's say Ennis is gay -- straight men could relate to Ennis, see a man something like themselves, and that such a man can find his gayness and live it.  If he doesn't repress it, that is, to his own and everyone else's detriment.  If "society," i.e., said straight male viewers, doesn't kill him phyically or kill his spirit.

Oh shoot, it's just too complex.  I'm sorry -- I say too many words, make too many statements with too many qualifiers and don't really come to any conclusions.  I think we might all know the answers when we die.  But I love delving into the complexities of Ennis and Jack, and talking about how they affect our own lives.  And I know this isn't my therapy group so quit your yammerin' already.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Jul 26, 2006, 06:59 PM
Let's see, how do I see Ennis?  As having since his younger years at the least curiosity about loving men (which curiosity of course had to have come from feeling inclined that way) and then all those feelings and curiosity being tainted by the Earl situation, and thus his terrible internal conflicts and repression.  So I can see him at 19 as neither straight nor gay.  Or, I should say, both straight and gay.  Living a straight life, but having gayness in his heart.  Enter Jack...  (Yet the question still never got a chance to really get answered, just because of his psychoemotional composition of fighting himself and Jack over this love he felt.)

kathy

The answer is less important than the process of seeking out an answer.  Thanks kathy.

To add to the confusion are the enigmatic statements "You know I ain't queer" and "Me neither".  To me, there is a subtle distinction between "queerness" and "gayness" in the context of that scene...


Oh jeez, thanks a lot, tpe -- you're going to get me going again, and I was trying to leave this thread for now.  ^*()

I totally agree with you, though, about the process of seeking the answer -- the journey rather than the destination.

As to "gay" and "queer," I just think the term gay wasn't used then, simple as that.  Queer was the term used so that's what they said.  As to saying they were not queer, that is discussed at length on another thread is it not?

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 26, 2006, 07:14 PM
Let's see, how do I see Ennis?  As having since his younger years at the least curiosity about loving men (which curiosity of course had to have come from feeling inclined that way) and then all those feelings and curiosity being tainted by the Earl situation, and thus his terrible internal conflicts and repression.  So I can see him at 19 as neither straight nor gay.  Or, I should say, both straight and gay.  Living a straight life, but having gayness in his heart.  Enter Jack...  (Yet the question still never got a chance to really get answered, just because of his psychoemotional composition of fighting himself and Jack over this love he felt.)

kathy


The answer is less important than the process of seeking out an answer.  Thanks kathy.

To add to the confusion are the enigmatic statements "You know I ain't queer" and "Me neither".  To me, there is a subtle distinction between "queerness" and "gayness" in the context of that scene...


Oh jeez, thanks a lot, tpe -- you're going to get me going again, and I was trying to leave this thread for now.  ^*()

I totally agree with you, though, about the process of seeking the answer -- the journey rather than the destination.

As to "gay" and "queer," I just think the term gay wasn't used then, simple as that.  Queer was the term used so that's what they said.  As to saying they were not queer, that is discussed at length on another thread is it not?

kathy


Yes indeed, this has been discussed.  I mentioned it here just in case it comes up later in a different context to create more havoc.  :)  Thanks kathy.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jul 26, 2006, 08:04 PM
I agree with you, tpe, about labels.  They are useful to some degree.  Also, I agree that it is interesting, and maybe even valuable, to discuss Ennis' and Jack's sexuality.  However, what I am saying is that, in the end, the important thing is that they loved one another -- not that they were hetero-homo-or bi-sexual.
    When I said Ennis was consistent throughout the story, I meant that he always has denied his own sexuality.  He never vacillates.  Even when he's with Jack, he does not feel that he is OK -- He feels as if he is doing something wrong.  He consistently feels that way.  His father did a number on him, and, no matter what he faces in the future, he cannot forget his father's judgement about "queers".  He will always feel that he is doing something wrong when he loves Jack.  That is a big shame, but no one can change Ennis at this point. All any of us can do is hope the newer generation grows up without the hang ups of the past -- that kids today can be more free and accepting of themselves and others.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 27, 2006, 06:57 AM
I agree with you, tpe, about labels.  They are useful to some degree.  Also, I agree that it is interesting, and maybe even valuable, to discuss Ennis' and Jack's sexuality.  However, what I am saying is that, in the end, the important thing is that they loved one another -- not that they were hetero-homo-or bi-sexual.
    When I said Ennis was consistent throughout the story, I meant that he always has denied his own sexuality.  He never vacillates.  Even when he's with Jack, he does not feel that he is OK -- He feels as if he is doing something wrong.  He consistently feels that way.  His father did a number on him, and, no matter what he faces in the future, he cannot forget his father's judgement about "queers".  He will always feel that he is doing something wrong when he loves Jack.  That is a big shame, but no one can change Ennis at this point. All any of us can do is hope the newer generation grows up without the hang ups of the past -- that kids today can be more free and accepting of themselves and others.

Yes.  In the end, it is who you love that defines you, independent of gender or sexual orientation.

As for the newer generation, we can only hope.  But old prejudices die hard, no?  Some just become more subtle.  They may be replacing an open prejudice with a more nuanced one.  Let us hope that this is not the case.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Jul 27, 2006, 08:52 AM
Kathy,
I was very touched by both your last posts. Thank you! I am so with you on the bisexuality issue. And I do hope people will come to be more accepting of the grey areas. It ties in neatly with another of my concerns: Bisexuality and transsexuality don't tie in very well with the  wish to define people's sexuality, gender, whatever biologically, to say: This is how I (or you) have been from  birth and will always remain. I think this is one of the reasons why people want to press others (and themselves) into categories. It feels safer to have something that has clear boundaries. And let's face it: It IS unfair that heterosexuals have it so much easier here.

I also find the question interesting whether it is more of a challenge to straight men for Ennis to be gay or straight. My experiences in Mexico have taught me that everything is ok as long as gay people are clearly defined as "sissies". These sissies are never oneself. One can always point a finger at them and let them exist (barely) in their ghetto. And even gay men do that! So I think both is a challenge: Ennis straight: Would mean, it can happen to anybody, even to me - the macho guy. Ennis gay: would mean - you can't even spot if a guy is gay or not, he looks just like one of us macho guys, so how do I show I'm not one of them?

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Patriot1 on Jul 27, 2006, 11:45 AM
It's so complicated, try to understand the heart of a lonely man, maybe he was not, or maybe he just want to be gay but deny this feeling because his world will be cruel with him...   

And there you have hit on the true tragedy JoeJeff. To deny who and what you are because of social prejudice.  To go through life as some actor on a stage hoping to get the approval of the audience, or at least not be rejected by it.  Too sad, way too sad.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: CrimsonSky on Jul 27, 2006, 06:25 PM


I'm replying to this post a second time.  You've made me think of something else on this subject.  First of all, of course, defining anything depends on the terms of the person doing the defining.  I think that defining Ennis as gay or straight would have even more significance to one particular group:  straight men.  I'll just say this about straight men, not women, because generally speaking, straight women are more accepting of gay men than straight men are.  I know that's a big generalization and isn't always true by any means, but for straight (or any) women, gay men can be the best of both worlds -- they're not a physical threat, as in rape, which straight men are; and we can be friends without the bothersome aspects of sexual tension and all that leads to.  It's a beautiful thing for Mars and Venus to be friends, more rare than same-sex friends.  Kind of the opposite of being gay.  ;)

Anyway, back to straight men, who are, after all, "society."  I want this movie to have a big impact on how society sees gay men.  So, to the "typical" straight man (if there is such a thing) (and I don't think "typical" would apply to any of our straight men here on this forum)...to the typical straight man, is the story of Ennis and Jack more powerful and potentially life-changing to a straight man if Ennis is straight or if he's gay?  You'd think the answer would be the obvious one:  if Ennis is straight.  But on the other hand, let's say Ennis is gay -- straight men could relate to Ennis, see a man something like themselves, and that such a man can find his gayness and live it.  If he doesn't repress it, that is, to his own and everyone else's detriment.  If "society," i.e., said straight male viewers, doesn't kill him phyically or kill his spirit.

Oh shoot, it's just too complex.  I'm sorry -- I say too many words, make too many statements with too many qualifiers and don't really come to any conclusions.  I think we might all know the answers when we die.  But I love delving into the complexities of Ennis and Jack, and talking about how they affect our own lives.  And I know this isn't my therapy group so quit your yammerin' already.

kathy

Kathy, don't apologise, I've really enjoyed reading your posts on this thread, I found them really interesting and thought-provoking :)
And I don't think any of us (not just here, but in the world in general) are likely to ever come to any definite conclusions on this subject, like you say it's so complex. Personally, I think the easiest way of looking at it is that we're all potentially bi-sexual, but it's mostly down to circumstance who our sexual partners are, whatever sex they might be. If Ennis had never met Jack, he probably would never have had any kind of experience with men, and the thought he might be gay would probably have never even crossed his mind.If he had met Jack,but hadn't already been engaged to Alma, he might never have had any relationships with women, and just saved himself for Jack. Jack, on the other hand, would have had plenty of sex/relationships with men, but might very well still have married Lureen (or some other woman), and so could be defined as bi-sexual.
Up until recently,I would've said that Jack was the more obviously gay one out of Ennis and Jack, but watching the scene with Jack and Lureen in the car the other night, it occured to me that Jack, for all his awkwardness with Lureen, does seem to be having more fun than Ennis ever seems to with either Alma or Cassie. I feel that Ennis had sex with women because he felt he had to, rather than because he wanted to, and only really wanted to have sex with Jack,so Jack being a man, that would make Ennis gay. Jack seems to be only attracted to men, when he's the one making the moves, but when Lureen makes a move on him, even though he knows deep down it's not what he wants, he seems very much open to the possibility he might enjoy it, so that would make him at least bi-curious ???   The "fast or slow, I just like the direction you're going" line (which always turns me into a drooling wreck) sums up the whole thing for me,just substitute "fast or slow" for "male or female", if you like the direction someone's going, surely that's all that matters :)     
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jul 27, 2006, 07:09 PM
The reason I'm quite sure attitudes will be a bit better among the present high-school age generation is what I have observed as a high school teachcer.  I find the kids to be much more accepting of all kinds of differences.  Of course, I realize this isn't ALL the kids.  A lot has to do with who is raising them.  In general, though, I feel there is more acceptance of people of other races and other sexual orientation.
    Back OT, it seems we spend a lot of time discussing Ennis's se4xuality, but don't say too much about Jack's.  Surely Jack was more sexually active homosexually, but he, too, denies he is queer to Ennis.  What is Jack's fear?






I agree with you, tpe, about labels.  They are useful to some degree.  Also, I agree that it is interesting, and maybe even valuable, to discuss Ennis' and Jack's sexuality.  However, what I am saying is that, in the end, the important thing is that they loved one another -- not that they were hetero-homo-or bi-sexual.
    When I said Ennis was consistent throughout the story, I meant that he always has denied his own sexuality.  He never vacillates.  Even when he's with Jack, he does not feel that he is OK -- He feels as if he is doing something wrong.  He consistently feels that way.  His father did a number on him, and, no matter what he faces in the future, he cannot forget his father's judgement about "queers".  He will always feel that he is doing something wrong when he loves Jack.  That is a big shame, but no one can change Ennis at this point. All any of us can do is hope the newer generation grows up without the hang ups of the past -- that kids today can be more free and accepting of themselves and others.

Yes.  In the end, it is who you love that defines you, independent of gender or sexual orientation.

As for the newer generation, we can only hope.  But old prejudices die hard, no?  Some just become more subtle.  They may be replacing an open prejudice with a more nuanced one.  Let us hope that this is not the case.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: gimmejack on Jul 28, 2006, 02:22 AM
The reason I'm quite sure attitudes will be a bit better among the present high-school age generation is what I have observed as a high school teachcer.  I find the kids to be much more accepting of all kinds of differences.  Of course, I realize this isn't ALL the kids.  A lot has to do with who is raising them.  In general, though, I feel there is more acceptance of people of other races and other sexual orientation.
    Back OT, it seems we spend a lot of time discussing Ennis's se4xuality, but don't say too much about Jack's.  Surely Jack was more sexually active homosexually, but he, too, denies he is queer to Ennis.  What is Jack's fear?
Jack's fear first and foremost appears to be running Ennis off.  Secondly, the 60's and the places they were both raised.  Jack did not appear to be overly concerned about Jimbo and Randall knowing.

He just got that sense that he had to be subtle with Ennis and he was most likely entirely correct in walking on eggshells with his sexuality around him.  It seemed to me almost a camraderie type thing also, where they were both in the same boat..."one shot deal". 

Just my 2 cents
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Jul 28, 2006, 06:38 AM
Jack is so much more os a sensualist in every way than Ennis - he's into creature comforts and enjoyment. In which case I reckon he's prepard to take wha comes along - Lureen offers it on a plate and he's not going to say no. Doesn't mean it's love, of that he doesn't love Ennis. Ennis, on the other hand, will settle for beans literally and metaphorically - I think he enjoys sex with Jack at least partly because Jack makes it enjoyable and Alma apparently doesn't. And he doesn't see himself as gay, or doesn't want to.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 28, 2006, 06:57 AM
    Back OT, it seems we spend a lot of time discussing Ennis's se4xuality, but don't say too much about Jack's.  Surely Jack was more sexually active homosexually, but he, too, denies he is queer to Ennis.  What is Jack's fear?

Jack's sexuality is part of the discussion of the thread I referenced at the beginning of this thread (the one dealing with whether they were gay, bisexual, or human).  Or you or anyone interested can start a separate thread dealing exclusively with Jack's sexuality (if it does not already exist -- as is the case, to my knowledge).

To specify my personal stance on this issue, I believe that both were intrinsically gay.  I base this purely in the context of writings and interviews by Gyllenhaal, Ang Lee, the screenwriters, and Proulx.  These writings and interviews can certainly be interpreted in a different light, but I think there is enough reason to think that they lend support to my stance, as discussed earlier in the posts involving Christie and NoReins.  For those who wish to see things otherwise, there is certainly room for alternative interpretations, as the characters and the story now live lives of their own -- subjected to scrutiny and analysis not originally anticipated by the author.  It is good that this is so.

To address the point on Jack, earlier discussions alluded to point to either a fear of Jack alienating Ennis (if he openly admitted to be gay or bisexual), or that the concept of "queerness" is distinct from our own concept of "gayness" (a concept that they were probably unfamiliar with in 1963).  This distinction has been discussed in earlier threads.  To discuss Jack's sexuality exclusively, I would recommend that we either append the discusssion to older threads that touch on this subject, or open a new thread. 


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Jul 28, 2006, 07:03 AM
tpe, I'm all for it: Let's open a new thread!

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 28, 2006, 07:07 AM
tpe, I'm all for it: Let's open a new thread!

monicita

OOT: Hello monicita.  :)  Would you want to create the thread?  If not, let me know and I shall do it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: KillRoy1972 on Jul 29, 2006, 10:38 AM
Did Heath Ledger not say that he felt Ennis was a homophobic gay man?

My thoughts are that they were both gay. Jack accepted it and was therefore able to have other homosexual experiences, while Ennis could never accept it, something which Jack understood very early on (denying that he was queer in order to make sure Ennis didn't run a mile)


Thats is what I think...

Ennis told Jack 'you made me this way'

Not meaning he turned gay, but the trouble he was/is in for beeing a homophobic gay man in love...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 29, 2006, 03:32 PM
...he was/is in for beeing a homophobic gay man in love...

There is a dark, complex poetry to this phrase.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Jul 31, 2006, 04:20 PM
Kathy,
I was very touched by both your last posts. Thank you! I am so with you on the bisexuality issue. And I do hope people will come to be more accepting of the grey areas. It ties in neatly with another of my concerns: Bisexuality and transsexuality don't tie in very well with the  wish to define people's sexuality, gender, whatever biologically, to say: This is how I (or you) have been from  birth and will always remain. I think this is one of the reasons why people want to press others (and themselves) into categories. It feels safer to have something that has clear boundaries. And let's face it: It IS unfair that heterosexuals have it so much easier here.

I also find the question interesting whether it is more of a challenge to straight men for Ennis to be gay or straight. My experiences in Mexico have taught me that everything is ok as long as gay people are clearly defined as "sissies". These sissies are never oneself. One can always point a finger at them and let them exist (barely) in their ghetto. And even gay men do that! So I think both is a challenge: Ennis straight: Would mean, it can happen to anybody, even to me - the macho guy. Ennis gay: would mean - you can't even spot if a guy is gay or not, he looks just like one of us macho guys, so how do I show I'm not one of them?

monicita

Quite fascinating, monicita.  We on this forum discussing Ennis's and Jack's sexuality is one thing, but the point of the story and movie, homophobic society, needs to be addressed by that homophobic society, not by us.  Your example of Mexican society is fascinating.  As long as everyone is in their place and you can tell from the outside (which would also include wimen as virgin, mother or whore) which they are, then people are comfortable.  Well, I think making people uncomfortable is a good thing, making them question everything, and in this case, sit with someone else and look them in the eye and see if they can understand, and if they can't move along.

Anyway, you said it more clearly than I, about what Ennis being gay or straight might mean to straight men.  Thanks.

More later, undoubtedly.   :s)

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Jul 31, 2006, 04:37 PM

Kathy, don't apologise, I've really enjoyed reading your posts on this thread, I found them really interesting and thought-provoking :)
And I don't think any of us (not just here, but in the world in general) are likely to ever come to any definite conclusions on this subject, like you say it's so complex. Personally, I think the easiest way of looking at it is that we're all potentially bi-sexual, but it's mostly down to circumstance who our sexual partners are, whatever sex they might be. If Ennis had never met Jack, he probably would never have had any kind of experience with men, and the thought he might be gay would probably have never even crossed his mind.If he had met Jack,but hadn't already been engaged to Alma, he might never have had any relationships with women, and just saved himself for Jack. Jack, on the other hand, would have had plenty of sex/relationships with men, but might very well still have married Lureen (or some other woman), and so could be defined as bi-sexual.
Up until recently,I would've said that Jack was the more obviously gay one out of Ennis and Jack, but watching the scene with Jack and Lureen in the car the other night, it occured to me that Jack, for all his awkwardness with Lureen, does seem to be having more fun than Ennis ever seems to with either Alma or Cassie. I feel that Ennis had sex with women because he felt he had to, rather than because he wanted to, and only really wanted to have sex with Jack,so Jack being a man, that would make Ennis gay. Jack seems to be only attracted to men, when he's the one making the moves, but when Lureen makes a move on him, even though he knows deep down it's not what he wants, he seems very much open to the possibility he might enjoy it, so that would make him at least bi-curious ???   The "fast or slow, I just like the direction you're going" line (which always turns me into a drooling wreck) sums up the whole thing for me,just substitute "fast or slow" for "male or female", if you like the direction someone's going, surely that's all that matters :)     

CrimsonSky:  Well said.  Jack wasn't necessarily just "more gay" than Ennis, he was more open and fun-loving and wanting experience and not afraid of life and all of it.  So of course he would have no problem with following his curiosity.  (And the marriage apparently happened because Lureen got pregnant, right?)

Anyway, another point I wanted to say is it just doesn't always have to do with sex.  Sometimes I wish there were another set of words than "heterosexual," "homosexual," "bisexual."  It's not just sex, it's emotional, it's love, it's friendship, it's comfort, it's fun, it's who you prefer to partner your life with, and sex is just part of that.

I like both women and men, if they're gay or if they're cool with gay.  But I'm actually more a commune type.  I wouldn't mind a three-or-more-some.  I'm not looking for the ONE person to be with, though I wouldn't turn that down.  Mix and match is okay with me.  But I'm a hippie utopianist; and the reality is, a situation I would like probably wouldn't happen in reality -- so I live alone and have friends of all persuasions but have sex with none of them.

(Not doing nothin' to scare the horses!  That was hilarious, ww!)

I'm almost tempted to delete the above -- a bit too revealing -- but we are after all talking about sexuality here, and not just Ennis's and Jack's.  In point of fact, I think I'm a little Ennis because of past experiences that made me not trust people, not trust getting too close...  That isn't the same as Ennis's problem specifically, but still, it has to do with past experiences putting fear where there should be openness.

I won't delete, though, because if anything I say makes some other person think of something new or makes someone else feel they're not alone, then good...

Help!  Get me out of here!   (^)

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 31, 2006, 05:27 PM


kathy, I thank you for sharing this.  You need not delete it.  We all reveal a bit of ourselves if only to connect.   What you have "flung" out here out will catch somewhere, rest assured.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Jul 31, 2006, 05:43 PM

kathy, I thank you for sharing this.  You need not delete it.  We all reveal a bit of ourselves if only to connect.   What you have "flung" out here out will catch somewhere, rest assured.


Thank you, tpe.  I do see a lot of us being very revealing here -- and that's sure better than not revealing, better than being closed...

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Aug 01, 2006, 03:26 AM
tpe, I'm all for it: Let's open a new thread!

monicita

OOT: Hello monicita.  :)  Would you want to create the thread?  If not, let me know and I shall do it.

Ok, I'll do it, tpe! Hope it works, I'm such a dork when the technical side of things is concerned...

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Aug 01, 2006, 03:39 AM
Hey Kathy,

great you're on this thread! I'm so happy I'm not the only one with that kind of background (hippie utopianist with all kinds of sexual persuasions and experiences and those hardly as monogamous as most people's)  #) There is one thing in your last post where I beg to differ, however: You say that homophobia is the responsibility of a homophobic society and not our's. Well, I think we are part of that society and we are also, in a way, part of homophobia. It is similar to the way people point at others and say "they are racists and they have to change that". But being racist is not something one either is totally or not at all: There are always degrees of racist thought in everybody. And I have caught myself at thoughts that have some racist content (even if it is "positive" racism, like thinking that black people are better at dancing - just a random example). Same thing with homophobia: On this forum there have been many people saying, for example, that they feel uncomfortable with the "queeny" way of being gay: the crossdressing, wristflapping, transsexual way of being gay. I personally love that a lot, but I have so many gay friends who feel uncomfortable about it, who need to make it very clear that they are a very different sort of gay man, a real man. I'm not saying that is wrong in any way, but I am saying that this is a product of homophobic society which makes it hard for anybody to identify with the "sissy" image, gay  or not. Where am I heading? I want to appeal to all of us, not to think that we are on an island outside society here, where no homophobic thought will ever occur. Because I have an interest in changing the homophobic status quo. And that is only possible if we see ourselves as part of what is happening out there. Okay, nuff preaching  &**) In case it should have sounded overcritical:  %) all, and I'm German, they love to criticize (another stereotype...) ^^) And I know this is  *o)

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Aug 01, 2006, 06:51 PM
Hey Kathy,

great you're on this thread! I'm so happy I'm not the only one with that kind of background (hippie utopianist with all kinds of sexual persuasions and experiences and those hardly as monogamous as most people's)  #) There is one thing in your last post where I beg to differ, however: You say that homophobia is the responsibility of a homophobic society and not our's. Well, I think we are part of that society and we are also, in a way, part of homophobia. It is similar to the way people point at others and say "they are racists and they have to change that". But being racist is not something one either is totally or not at all: There are always degrees of racist thought in everybody. And I have caught myself at thoughts that have some racist content (even if it is "positive" racism, like thinking that black people are better at dancing - just a random example). Same thing with homophobia: On this forum there have been many people saying, for example, that they feel uncomfortable with the "queeny" way of being gay: the crossdressing, wristflapping, transsexual way of being gay. I personally love that a lot, but I have so many gay friends who feel uncomfortable about it, who need to make it very clear that they are a very different sort of gay man, a real man. I'm not saying that is wrong in any way, but I am saying that this is a product of homophobic society which makes it hard for anybody to identify with the "sissy" image, gay  or not. Where am I heading? I want to appeal to all of us, not to think that we are on an island outside society here, where no homophobic thought will ever occur. Because I have an interest in changing the homophobic status quo. And that is only possible if we see ourselves as part of what is happening out there. Okay, nuff preaching  &**) In case it should have sounded overcritical:  %) all, and I'm German, they love to criticize (another stereotype...) ^^) And I know this is  *o)

monicita

Hey cool, hippie utopianist.  Okay, I didn't even recognize it as something I said, when you said "You say that homophobia is the responsibility of a homophobic society and not our's."  I was actually trying to say that here on this forum, we're "preaching to the choir."  We don't have to convince anyone here that homophobia killed Jack and killed Ennis and Jack's love.  In addition, I suppose I was thinking of us here as an "us," where all our different types and styles are okay. 

But I see what you mean, about people not being comfortable with certain other kinds of people.  This isn't just a gay thing, obviously, but everyone.  (I will admit to prejudices in my time -- such as against women who are desperate to be sex objects; but now, part of the grace of age is less and less prejudice or generalizations about people.)  This is a huge thing, though, with no easy answers.  I certainly know that oftentimes, men and women on this forum will be feeling totally different things, even getting bugged by someone else.  I can't say, but maybe the serious philosophical types could be bugged by the girlfans who want to talk about Heath's butt or Jake's tongue.  So okay, that's why we have separate threads.  A pretty good system. 

I didn't know "Germans like to criticize."  Funny.  What's my excuse then?  Lithuanian-English-Scottish-Irish-Welsh St. Louis/California older gals are critical?  Actually, I wouldn't call myself critical.  I like to observe -- I usually don't draw conclusions.  Well, no, that's not exactly true...  Forget it.

Anyway, of course we're not an island outside of society here, and that's what I think is so great about it.  Another group I've been closely involved in, K/S (Kirk and Spock as lovers), is almost too heterogeneous -- all women, mostly "of a certain age."  So I like this group's diversity.

But wait, I meant to respond to some things you said.  Some generalizations are true, though, such as about blacks and dancing.  Well, that used to be true, but maybe some white folk got their groove somewhere along the line -- from black folk.

Interesting what you said about queeny gay men and some other gay men not liking that.  Mostly I love it, myself.  (I mean, unless someone is obnoxious -- but anyone, any damn person of any kind, can be obnoxious, or mean, whatever.)  But this gets into a sticky subject, in my opinion.  If we can grant that "men are the top of the food chain" in most societies, then to act like a man is a compliment and to be aspired to.  If we can grant that "women are second-class citizens," then to act like a woman is a step down, a degrading thing.  Of course we women like it -- we get more "girlfriends."  But it's an insult to men, to be called anything feminine.  ("Girly-men" -- what an idiotic thing for the Gov. of Calif. to say!!)  Now, why men would find this in any way threatening, I don't know.  They might dislike it, but so what?  Just walk away then.

I really don't want to get into this conversation, though -- except it does have to do with Ennis and Jack, because the men that were shown for all the world to see are not the femmes.  People are comfortable making fun of the feminine-ish men, but seeing masculine men together sexually has to be jarring to straight men.

And if some masculine gay men don't want to be associated with feminine gay men, well I understand that.  In my early years, as a radical feminist Berkeley lesbian, I didn't want to be associated with, say, the leather boys in San Francisco -- we're two different species.

And as far as lesbians, that's a whole other story we're not even talking about here.  Because men and women are different...or are they?

Oh man, this is just way too complicated.  And I am no lover of hard-and-fast answers, never have been.  I'm not trying to figure the whole world out, nor do I even think it possible to make big changes.  I do think we make incremental changes, and we humans have always been doing just that, and continue to do so...  Perhaps this time will be looked back on the same as how we look in unbelieving distaste at blacks having to sit at the back of the bus.  But maybe not.  Sexuality is different, too charged?

Meanwhile, think globally, act locally.  We have a wonderful local and simultaneously global group here and a beautiful thing to be drawn together by (as opposed to, say, knitting or ice hockey -- not that there's anything wrong with that), and if we can just keep up discourse in whatever way we all like, then all is right with the world.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Aug 02, 2006, 06:28 AM
Amen, Kathy. You've  said it all. #)
 I'd love to know more about your Berkeley times... And Kirk and Spock as lovers sounds interesting and weird at the same time.

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 02, 2006, 07:30 AM


NOt surprisingly, there is a huge segment of the gay population who would pretty much identify with Ennis.  Let us not forget that there is a vast number of gay people who constanty struggle to come to grips with their sexuality, and we're talking about gays who ARE OUT, mind you...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Aug 02, 2006, 08:25 AM
I guess the Kirk and Spock thing is descended form Leslie Fiedler's theory about the underlying homoeroticism in many classic American novels?

I'm sure you're right. tpe; it's also true of some straight people, of course, though probably more rarely. Like Ennis, though, perhaps the peole you're talking about are conditioned by society - it's almost impossible to disentangle how much influence that has. If Ennsi had grown up in anothe time and place would he have been more accepting of himself? There's no answer, of course.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 02, 2006, 09:14 AM
I guess the Kirk and Spock thing is descended form Leslie Fiedler's theory about the underlying homoeroticism in many classic American novels?

I'm sure you're right. tpe; it's also true of some straight people, of course, though probably more rarely. Like Ennis, though, perhaps the peole you're talking about are conditioned by society - it's almost impossible to disentangle how much influence that has. If Ennsi had grown up in anothe time and place would he have been more accepting of himself? There's no answer, of course.


Yes, as in the case of Ennis, thnings like this become impossible to entangle.  That is why Ennis's character is so powerful.  I suspect that people identify with him more than they are willing to admit even to themselves...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Aug 03, 2006, 06:03 PM

NOt surprisingly, there is a huge segment of the gay population who would pretty much identify with Ennis.  Let us not forget that there is a vast number of gay people who constanty struggle to come to grips with their sexuality, and we're talking about gays who ARE OUT, mind you...


Oh yes, I'm glad you said this, tpe.  This is a whole other fascinating subject, of gay men who identify with Ennis, who are not really letting themselves out...  And welscwitch, what you said, too:  it's the same for straight people, for everyone, that our true selves are so conditioned and held in, due to tons of reasons.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Aug 03, 2006, 06:14 PM
I guess the Kirk and Spock thing is descended form Leslie Fiedler's theory about the underlying homoeroticism in many classic American novels?


WW:  I don't know about Leslie Fiedler, I'll have to look that up.  What I know is that Gene Roddenberry really wanted to show a future society that didn't have the constraints that ours has, and in the 60's had even more so.  He was of course limited in what would get past the censors.  But we who watched it saw the friendship developing between Kirk and Spock, helped along by the chemistry between Shatner and Nimoy, and the fascinating thing of a human and Vulcan together...and our ripe little libidos took it from there.  It was all primarily women at that time, and that's a whole other subject as we all know, of why women find men-in-love so compelling...but we do.  Bless you, you men.

Sorry, OT, so back to Ennis...  Oh my god, Ennis...does my heart break for him.  If only he had been able to look out at the world a little more, even in 1963, even earlier as a teen, and certainly after 1963, and find glimmers in other people of what he was himself feeling, and not feel so alone, and learn what to do about why he hated how he felt...

kathy

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: dalemidex on Aug 03, 2006, 08:50 PM
Sorry, OT, so back to Ennis...  Oh my god, Ennis...does my heart break for him.  If only he had been able to look out at the world a little more, even in 1963, even earlier as a teen, and certainly after 1963, and find glimmers in other people of what he was himself feeling, and not feel so alone, and learn what to do about why he hated how he felt...


You know Kathy, I wonder if you've hit a on an aspect of Ennis' love for Jack that hasn't been discussed much.  I'm someone who believes Ennis was not simply an average straight man who happens to out of the blue fall in love with another man.  I believe he had some homosexual thoughts, feelings and inclinations before he met Jack.  Imagine how affirming, in a way, it must have been to find someone else who felt the same way.  Someone to tell him "it's alright".  I think this was a significant thread within the complex fabric of love and attraction.

But sadly, as we know, Ennis never really reconciled all this within himself.  Certainly not while Jack was alive.  Jack told him it was alright, and clearly Ennis took comfort in that.  But he never really believed it himself.  Not consistently, at least.  The conflict within Ennis really rips my heart out when I focus on it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Aug 04, 2006, 12:11 AM
Sorry, OT, so back to Ennis...  Oh my god, Ennis...does my heart break for him.  If only he had been able to look out at the world a little more, even in 1963, even earlier as a teen, and certainly after 1963, and find glimmers in other people of what he was himself feeling, and not feel so alone, and learn what to do about why he hated how he felt...


You know Kathy, I wonder if you've hit a on an aspect of Ennis' love for Jack that hasn't been discussed much.  I'm someone who believes Ennis was not simply an average straight man who happens to out of the blue fall in love with another man.  I believe he had some homosexual thoughts, feelings and inclinations before he met Jack.  Imagine how affirming, in a way, it must have been to find someone else who felt the same way.  Someone to tell him "it's alright".  I think this was a significant thread within the complex fabric of love and attraction.

But sadly, as we know, Ennis never really reconciled all this within himself.  Certainly not while Jack was alive.  Jack told him it was alright, and clearly Ennis took comfort in that.  But he never really believed it himself.  Not consistently, at least.  The conflict within Ennis really rips my heart out when I focus on it.

dalemidix:  Yes, it rips my heart out, too.  I think Ennis needed more than only Jack telling him it's alright.  He saw Jack as a dreamer and unrealistic, whereas he thought his own take on life was the realistic one.  At first, certainly, what an incredible joy to be thrown together with Jack and to find a kindred spirit.  But he couldn't from the start reconcile that with what he had to do -- go back and marry Alma.

I don't either think Ennis was some average straight man who just happened to fall in love with a man.  Maybe I'm getting some various fanfic mixed up with BBM canon, but it does seem we can see that maybe he was "different" and that's why his father so adamantly showed him and his brother what could happen.  That's just part of Ennis's gayness story.  Also there was the "no instruction manual needed" in the short story.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 04, 2006, 07:05 AM
Sorry, OT, so back to Ennis...  Oh my god, Ennis...does my heart break for him.  If only he had been able to look out at the world a little more, even in 1963, even earlier as a teen, and certainly after 1963, and find glimmers in other people of what he was himself feeling, and not feel so alone, and learn what to do about why he hated how he felt...


You know Kathy, I wonder if you've hit a on an aspect of Ennis' love for Jack that hasn't been discussed much.  I'm someone who believes Ennis was not simply an average straight man who happens to out of the blue fall in love with another man.  I believe he had some homosexual thoughts, feelings and inclinations before he met Jack.  Imagine how affirming, in a way, it must have been to find someone else who felt the same way.  Someone to tell him "it's alright".  I think this was a significant thread within the complex fabric of love and attraction.

But sadly, as we know, Ennis never really reconciled all this within himself.  Certainly not while Jack was alive.  Jack told him it was alright, and clearly Ennis took comfort in that.  But he never really believed it himself.  Not consistently, at least.  The conflict within Ennis really rips my heart out when I focus on it.

Beautifully stated.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 04, 2006, 07:10 AM
dalemidix:  Yes, it rips my heart out, too.  I think Ennis needed more than only Jack telling him it's alright.  He saw Jack as a dreamer and unrealistic, whereas he thought his own take on life was the realistic one.  At first, certainly, what an incredible joy to be thrown together with Jack and to find a kindred spirit.  But he couldn't from the start reconcile that with what he had to do -- go back and marry Alma.

I do think Ennis's sense of pragmatism got in the way of his love for Jack.  But I do also think that Jack must have been a revelation to Ennis.  I do think that Ennis did take some comfort in Jack's reassurances, even if they did not change Ennis's pragmatic view of life and the world. I guess that's why Ennis loved Jack.




Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: dalemidex on Aug 04, 2006, 08:40 AM
Yes, it rips my heart out, too.  I think Ennis needed more than only Jack telling him it's alright.  He saw Jack as a dreamer and unrealistic, whereas he thought his own take on life was the realistic one.  At first, certainly, what an incredible joy to be thrown together with Jack and to find a kindred spirit.  But he couldn't from the start reconcile that with what he had to do -- go back and marry Alma.


I do think Ennis's sense of pragmatism got in the way of his love for Jack.  But I do also think that Jack must have been a revelation to Ennis.  I do think that Ennis did take some comfort in Jack's reassurances, even if they did not change Ennis's pragmatic view of life and the world. I guess that's why Ennis loved Jack.


What beautiful contrast in those two posts.  Yet I think they are both true.  Even without the sexual nature, I suspect Ennis had never really gotten to know someone like Jack so well.  Perhaps never had gotten to know anyone very well before, being the closed-off person he was growing up in an isolated setting.  I think we see the "wow, who IS this guy" in Ennis' face more than once or twice. 

I wonder how the story would have turned out had the two of them not had such contrasting personalities.  Would the attraction have been less?  Would they have found a common ground to make things work out better?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Aug 04, 2006, 11:58 AM
We all love those who see in us things we don;t see in ourselves, but what they see can sometimes frighten us. The feeling of recognition is rewarding while in their presence, but ir what they see is also something that is difficult and makes demands, it's often easier to suppress it when alone. this is what I think happened to Ennis; while with Jack what Jack found in him was a revelation but in the absence of Jack, dealing with what he'd found was too difficult and disruptive for Ennis, so he just retreated into the pattern he'd already set.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Aug 04, 2006, 06:02 PM
All of these posts are so good, tpe, dalemidex, welshwitch -- so much to think about, so many different ways to think about Ennis and Jack and what might have been.  I like what you said, dalemidex:  what if they had not been such contrasting personalities?  How would that have affected Ennis's discoveries of himself.  I think maybe that yes, the attraction wouldn't have been so charged.  Although that slower and more cautious approach might have helped Ennis "come out" easier -- or maybe the two would have come out together, in a closer process -- than with Jack, who Ennis saw as already knowing the ways of the world more than he did.

And ww, you hit it right on the head, I think -- that away from Jack, Ennis couldn't keep up the exhilarating sense he got from Jack of how he could be.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 08, 2006, 07:34 AM
All of these posts are so good, tpe, dalemidex, welshwitch -- so much to think about, so many different ways to think about Ennis and Jack and what might have been.  I like what you said, dalemidex:  what if they had not been such contrasting personalities?  How would that have affected Ennis's discoveries of himself.  I think maybe that yes, the attraction wouldn't have been so charged.  Although that slower and more cautious approach might have helped Ennis "come out" easier -- or maybe the two would have come out together, in a closer process -- than with Jack, who Ennis saw as already knowing the ways of the world more than he did.

And ww, you hit it right on the head, I think -- that away from Jack, Ennis couldn't keep up the exhilarating sense he got from Jack of how he could be.

kathy

Thanks kathy.  And I do agree that Jack was a catalyst as well as an exhilarating influence on Ennis's persona.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: JT on Aug 08, 2006, 06:57 PM
Was Ennis gay?  Absolutely!  Deeply closeted and homophobic.  He is the extention and product of his environment and in 1963 Wyoming, being gay was not something you can talk about. 

Quote
And I do agree that Jack was a catalyst as well as an exhilarating influence on Ennis's persona.

I agree too that Jack was the catalyst.  IMO, Jack was the master mind behind the whole emotional drama within BBM and I love him for it. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 09, 2006, 08:23 AM
I agree too that Jack was the catalyst. 

I stand corrected.  You are right when you said "THE".

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: greenfrog on Aug 10, 2006, 09:06 PM
What I don't know - Whether or not Ennis was gay.

What I do know - Ennis was in love with Jack . . . and always will be.  :\'(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: chameau on Aug 10, 2006, 09:12 PM
What I don't know - Whether or not Ennis was gay.

What I do know - Ennis was in love with Jack . . . and always will be.  :\'(

Good point  :s)  :-\\ :\'(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Ginevra on Aug 11, 2006, 05:32 AM
What I don't know - Whether or not Ennis was gay.

What I do know - Ennis was in love with Jack . . . and always will be.  :\'(

absolutely agreed.  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Rosie on Aug 11, 2006, 06:29 AM



........  I think we see the "wow, who IS this guy" in Ennis' face more than once or twice. 

 

..and isn't it beautiful to see.........   I like the way you've put that dalemidex.  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 11, 2006, 07:52 AM



........  I think we see the "wow, who IS this guy" in Ennis' face more than once or twice. 

 

..and isn't it beautiful to see.........   I like the way you've put that dalemidex.  :)

Yes.

Whether or not we agree that Ennis was gay, we do recognize the veracity of that love that blossomed between them.  I think in most of the scenes, that love was so understated.  But we recognize it all the same, as in the subtle hints mentioned above.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Aug 11, 2006, 04:09 PM
Whether or not we agree that Ennis was gay, we do recognize the veracity of that love that blossomed between them.  I think in most of the scenes, that love was so understated.  But we recognize it all the same, as in the subtle hints mentioned above.
 

Indeed, we see that love.  Understated, perhaps, but obvious to us and those who know what they're looking at.  We were lucky to get Heath and Jake to give us such expressive characters -- it's totally in their eyes and expressions and body language all the time.  Let's see, way up there with the best ones are:  the look on Jack's face when he's watching Ennis chattering away; then Ennis looking at him, saying "whut?" and then the smile after he says "that's the most I spoke..."  You can certainly see Ennis's pleasure in this newfound friendship and, I believe, his realization that it can be be more than a friendship...but that still doesn't answer "Is Ennis gay?"  Oh well -- I guess we'll just have to keep discussing it!   :i

I also love how you said it, dalemidex.  Ennis is all like "who IS this guy?"  Making me LOL.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 12, 2006, 04:11 PM
Whether or not we agree that Ennis was gay, we do recognize the veracity of that love that blossomed between them.  I think in most of the scenes, that love was so understated.  But we recognize it all the same, as in the subtle hints mentioned above.
 

Indeed, we see that love.  Understated, perhaps, but obvious to us and those who know what they're looking at.  We were lucky to get Heath and Jake to give us such expressive characters -- it's totally in their eyes and expressions and body language all the time.  Let's see, way up there with the best ones are:  the look on Jack's face when he's watching Ennis chattering away; then Ennis looking at him, saying "whut?" and then the smile after he says "that's the most I spoke..."  You can certainly see Ennis's pleasure in this newfound friendship and, I believe, his realization that it can be be more than a friendship...but that still doesn't answer "Is Ennis gay?"  Oh well -- I guess we'll just have to keep discussing it!   :i

I also love how you said it, dalemidex.  Ennis is all like "who IS this guy?"  Making me LOL.

kathy


Thanks kathy.  I don't want to start a new argument about this ;) but there are sometimes advantages when sexually ambiguous characters are played by receptive and sympathetic straight men, the same way that straight roles have been played very well by less than straight actors.

I guess what gets added is a certain twist in the point of view that surprises us.  A fresh look from a different vantage point can sometimes succeed beautifully, as I think is the case with heath and Jake in BBM.

After all, a good actor should be able to projectn himself into any role very convincingly, as a good mirror captures an image.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Aug 12, 2006, 09:37 PM

Thanks kathy.  I don't want to start a new argument about this ;) but there are sometimes advantages when sexually ambiguous characters are played by receptive and sympathetic straight men, the same way that straight roles have been played very well by less than straight actors.

I guess what gets added is a certain twist in the point of view that surprises us.  A fresh look from a different vantage point can sometimes succeed beautifully, as I think is the case with heath and Jake in BBM.

After all, a good actor should be able to projectn himself into any role very convincingly, as a good mirror captures an image.


You know what your comments remind me of?  Of the "outsider's" perspective that Ang Lee brings to his films.  He is always said to have this unique perspective and sees things with a fresh focus and infinite interest because he isn't from the US.  So perhaps Heath and Jake, and other straight actors playing gay or gay-ish characters, and vice versa...if they're good actors anyway, find and show us a unique expression of feelings because they're not playing it on the outside, but searching from inside to see how they need to express it?  Something like that.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Aug 13, 2006, 07:42 AM
It's the idea of being pushed out of one's comfoirt zone, isn't it? In that situationit'spossible to find inside oneself thiongs one was unaware of. In the case of an actor, they get a sort of free pass - they can explore something they're not without having to be it.

You can tranfer this to the movie. ennis was well out of his comfort/familiarity zone up on the m ountain, and found things he could be and do that he wouldn't have elsewhere. I think of him as gay-on-the-mountain and gay-with-Jack, but not otherwise.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: JT on Aug 13, 2006, 07:33 PM
Quote
I think of him as gay-on-the-mountain and gay-with-Jack, but not otherwise.

In that case, the mountain was his closet and Jack was the only scrap of clothing that can keep him warm.  The ability for straight actors to play gay characters convincingly just proof what great actors Heath and Jake really are.  IMO their abilities in this awesome movie exceeds those of many veteran actors today.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Patriot1 on Aug 13, 2006, 07:41 PM

In that case, the mountain was his closet and Jack was the only scrap of clothing that can keep him warm.  The ability for straight actors to play gay characters convincingly just proof what great actors Heath and Jake really are.  IMO their abilities in this awesome movie exceeds those of many veteran actors today.


You have expressed my sentiments exactly, except, I went one further. I said they were the best actors in my lifetime, and heaven knows there have been some great actors and actresses in the past 60 years.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: JT on Aug 13, 2006, 08:19 PM
I was going to use the word "ever" in place of "today", but I can not discredit all the wonderful actors and actresses that I don't even know about.  So, "my lifetime" sounds about right.  Eventhough for me it's about 30 years.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: dalemidex on Aug 13, 2006, 10:25 PM

In that case, the mountain was his closet and Jack was the only scrap of clothing that can keep him warm.  The ability for straight actors to play gay characters convincingly just proof what great actors Heath and Jake really are.  IMO their abilities in this awesome movie exceeds those of many veteran actors today.


You have expressed my sentiments exactly, except, I went one further. I said they were the best actors in my lifetime, and heaven knows there have been some great actors and actresses in the past 60 years.

One wonders, thinking back to great actors from decades past, how they would have done with a story like Brokeback.  Of course it's hard to imagine such a story being filimed in a drastically different time, too.  The time for this story has come.  I feel fortunately to have been around at that same time.   :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: proulxfan on Aug 14, 2006, 08:22 AM
This is a question to which I have had different answers at different times, involving many of the points that have been mentioned on this thread and elsewhere on this forum. But I have come to the conclusion that Ennis was gay. In explaining why I think this, I will start by defining terms, as Welshwitch suggested. By "gay" in this context, I mean having an ongoing physical/sexual attraction for people of the same sex/gender, which is stronger than any such attraction for people of "the opposite" sex. It also involves identity of one's self, though in this case Ennis fights against it throughout the entire film. It was interesting for me to read that Ang Lee himself had no qualms about Ennis being gay, and said he thougt it was obvious as to what/who attracted Ennis. Obvious from Ang Lee's perspective translates quite differently for me and obviously for many others here. For us it wasn't obvious at all.

For me, it boils down to the conversation Ennis and Jack have at their next-to-last (in the film) camping trip, where Ennis asks Jack if things between Jack and Lureen are "normal", and does she-Lureen-ever "suspect". Then he gets down to brass tacks and asks the question that has been eating at him for years, does he-Jack-ever get the feeling that other people "know". He gives that word "know" special emphasis. It implies others are aware of something that he has been trying to hide. In this context, I don't think he is merely referring to his ongoing affair with, or love for, Jack Twist, the details of which may have become public-via Alma- after his divorce. The question arises from a fear that is more central to his being and sense of who he is. It is so central and so frightening for him that he cannot bring himself to utter just exactly what it is others know about him, but he assumes-correctly-that Jack will understand his meaning. He interestingly does not phrase it as other people thinking he's queer,-to use his word- but knowing, thus, perhaps inadvertantly, certifying its truth. This is Ennis's great secret that he has been hiding, not least from himself, all his life.
Jack's response, that maybe Ennis ought to get out of there and move somewhere else, suggests that this is exactly how he understood the question, and being intimately knowlegeable about Ennis's fear, he offers the first suggestion that comes to his mind. That's our Jack, remember? "Ready, shoot, aim." He doesn't seem to quite grasp the signficance of what Ennis is asking/telling him. As one who struggled mightilyfor more than two decades with trying to keep exactly this secret, I cannot really see any equally plausible interpretation of just what Ennis is so afraid of other people knowing about him.

As for Ennis wanting a family, it is here that I think Ennis displays one of his most striking character flaws. He may indeed want a family, but he is unwilling to commit himself to making the sacrifices necessary to provide for them adequately, and spends all of his free vacation time-according to the story-on fishing trips with Jack, never with Alma or his daughters. He compromises his 'career' in doing so. This doesn't speak well of a sincere desire to be a good husband and father, at least in the ways which would count in his rural Wyoming culture. On the other hand, having a wife and kids is the best insurance he can provide himself and the outside world that he is not, in fact, gay/queer. They inadvertantly help him prop up his denial system, to their detriment. I'm not saying he doesn't love his wife and daughters, in his way, but he fails-or is unable-to give them priorty in his life. So, that's my two cents worth. 

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 14, 2006, 09:49 AM
This is a question to which I have had different answers at different times, involving many of the points that have been mentioned on this thread and elsewhere on this forum. But I have come to the conclusion that Ennis was gay. In explaining why I think this, I will start by defining terms, as Welshwitch suggested. By "gay" in this context, I mean having an ongoing physical/sexual attraction for people of the same sex/gender, which is stronger than any such attraction for people of "the opposite" sex. It also involves identity of one's self, though in this case Ennis fights against it throughout the entire film. It was interesting for me to read that Ang Lee himself had no qualms about Ennis being gay, and said he thougt it was obvious as to what/who attracted Ennis. Obvious from Ang Lee's perspective translates quite differently for me and obviously for many others here. For us it wasn't obvious at all.

For me, it boils down to the conversation Ennis and Jack have at their next-to-last (in the film) camping trip, where Ennis asks Jack if things between Jack and Lureen are "normal", and does she-Lureen-ever "suspect". Then he gets down to brass tacks and asks the question that has been eating at him for years, does he-Jack-ever get the feeling that other people "know". He gives that word "know" special emphasis. It implies others are aware of something that he has been trying to hide. In this context, I don't think he is merely referring to his ongoing affair with, or love for, Jack Twist, the details of which may have become public-via Alma- after his divorce. The question arises from a fear that is more central to his being and sense of who he is. It is so central and so frightening for him that he cannot bring himself to utter just exactly what it is others know about him, but he assumes-correctly-that Jack will understand his meaning. He interestingly does not phrase it as other people thinking he's queer,-to use his word- but knowing, thus, perhaps inadvertantly, certifying its truth. This is Ennis's great secret that he has been hiding, not least from himself, all his life.

Jack's response, that maybe Ennis ought to get out of there and move somewhere else, suggests that this is exactly how he understood the question, and being intimately knowlegeable about Ennis's fear, he offers the first suggestion that comes to his mind. That's our Jack, remember? "Ready, shoot, aim." He doesn't seem to quite grasp the signficance of what Ennis is asking/telling him. As one who struggled mightilyfor more than two decades with trying to keep exactly this secret, I cannot really see any equally plausible interpretation of just what Ennis is so afraid of other people knowing about him.

As for Ennis wanting a family, it is here that I think Ennis displays one of his most striking character flaws. He may indeed want a family, but he is unwilling to commit himself to making the sacrifices necessary to provide for them adequately, and spends all of his free vacation time-according to the story-on fishing trips with Jack, never with Alma or his daughters. He compromises his 'career' in doing so. This doesn't speak well of a sincere desire to be a good husband and father, at least in the ways which would count in his rural Wyoming culture. On the other hand, having a wife and kids is the best insurance he can provide himself and the outside world that he is not, in fact, gay/queer. They inadvertantly help him prop up his denial system, to their detriment. I'm not saying he doesn't love his wife and daughters, in his way, but he fails-or is unable-to give them priorty in his life. So, that's my two cents worth. 

 

I find this a very good point.  I am in agreement, but I have not thought of it this way previously. 

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Aug 14, 2006, 11:57 AM
It's why in the scene where he tells Jack about his father father having taken him to see the dead rancher he uses the word " thing" - "this thing grabs hold of us". He's never able to confront head-on his deepest fears about himself, can't even begin to say that he thinks, or knows, he's attracted to men, or at least to one man. He thinks, or knows, he's not "normal" by the standards of the place and time where he livesand has no idea how to cope with that, though he knows it's a terrifying prospect. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: dalemidex on Aug 14, 2006, 02:34 PM
Then he gets down to brass tacks and asks the question that has been eating at him for years, does he-Jack-ever get the feeling that other people "know". He gives that word "know" special emphasis. It implies others are aware of something that he has been trying to hide. In this context, I don't think he is merely referring to his ongoing affair with, or love for, Jack Twist, the details of which may have become public-via Alma- after his divorce. The question arises from a fear that is more central to his being and sense of who he is. It is so central and so frightening for him that he cannot bring himself to utter just exactly what it is others know about him, but he assumes-correctly-that Jack will understand his meaning. He interestingly does not phrase it as other people thinking he's queer,-to use his word- but knowing, thus, perhaps inadvertently, certifying its truth. This is Ennis's great secret that he has been hiding, not least from himself, all his life.

Hi proulxfan...glad to hear from you!  Yours is definitely a name from early days on this board that I recall respecting, and I'm glad to see you still around.

Anyway, back to the topic.  Your point of him asking if other people "know", and its larger connotation, is one I had not considered before.  But I really see your point, and I do think this suggests that by this point Ennis had an increase sense of self-awareness and self-identification.  Still probably something he couldn't deal with, couldn't accept and tried hard not to acknowledge at that point.  But I think by then Ennis was, in exceptionally guarded terms, indeed admitting something.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Aug 14, 2006, 06:00 PM
For me, it boils down to the conversation Ennis and Jack have at their next-to-last (in the film) camping trip, where Ennis asks Jack if things between Jack and Lureen are "normal", and does she-Lureen-ever "suspect". Then he gets down to brass tacks and asks the question that has been eating at him for years, does he-Jack-ever get the feeling that other people "know". He gives that word "know" special emphasis. It implies others are aware of something that he has been trying to hide. In this context, I don't think he is merely referring to his ongoing affair with, or love for, Jack Twist, the details of which may have become public-via Alma- after his divorce. The question arises from a fear that is more central to his being and sense of who he is. It is so central and so frightening for him that he cannot bring himself to utter just exactly what it is others know about him, but he assumes-correctly-that Jack will understand his meaning. He interestingly does not phrase it as other people thinking he's queer,-to use his word- but knowing, thus, perhaps inadvertantly, certifying its truth. This is Ennis's great secret that he has been hiding, not least from himself, all his life.
As for Ennis wanting a family, it is here that I think Ennis displays one of his most striking character flaws. He may indeed want a family, but he is unwilling to commit himself to making the sacrifices necessary to provide for them adequately, and spends all of his free vacation time-according to the story-on fishing trips with Jack, never with Alma or his daughters. He compromises his 'career' in doing so. This doesn't speak well of a sincere desire to be a good husband and father, at least in the ways which would count in his rural Wyoming culture. On the other hand, having a wife and kids is the best insurance he can provide himself and the outside world that he is not, in fact, gay/queer. They inadvertantly help him prop up his denial system, to their detriment. I'm not saying he doesn't love his wife and daughters, in his way, but he fails-or is unable-to give them priorty in his life. So, that's my two cents worth. 
 

This is so good, proulxfan.  I always also thought that that scene where Ennis tells Jack he feels people "know" about him, is very telling.  He can admit to himself and to Jack, but still doesn't have quite the words.  Anyway, you said it very well, highlighting some important -- and so poignant -- things about the film, about Ennis:  Jack's response; Ennis and family.  Really a good interpretation.

Jeez -- he must feel SO strongly that he's queer, to feel he carries it like a sign around his neck that everybody can see, whether Jack's around or not.  He is so tortured with this, that the facade is so necessary.  So sad...

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jesseanne21 on Aug 14, 2006, 06:23 PM
For me, it boils down to the conversation Ennis and Jack have at their next-to-last (in the film) camping trip, where Ennis asks Jack if things between Jack and Lureen are "normal", and does she-Lureen-ever "suspect". Then he gets down to brass tacks and asks the question that has been eating at him for years, does he-Jack-ever get the feeling that other people "know". He gives that word "know" special emphasis. It implies others are aware of something that he has been trying to hide. In this context, I don't think he is merely referring to his ongoing affair with, or love for, Jack Twist, the details of which may have become public-via Alma- after his divorce. The question arises from a fear that is more central to his being and sense of who he is. It is so central and so frightening for him that he cannot bring himself to utter just exactly what it is others know about him, but he assumes-correctly-that Jack will understand his meaning. He interestingly does not phrase it as other people thinking he's queer,-to use his word- but knowing, thus, perhaps inadvertantly, certifying its truth. This is Ennis's great secret that he has been hiding, not least from himself, all his life.
As for Ennis wanting a family, it is here that I think Ennis displays one of his most striking character flaws. He may indeed want a family, but he is unwilling to commit himself to making the sacrifices necessary to provide for them adequately, and spends all of his free vacation time-according to the story-on fishing trips with Jack, never with Alma or his daughters. He compromises his 'career' in doing so. This doesn't speak well of a sincere desire to be a good husband and father, at least in the ways which would count in his rural Wyoming culture. On the other hand, having a wife and kids is the best insurance he can provide himself and the outside world that he is not, in fact, gay/queer. They inadvertantly help him prop up his denial system, to their detriment. I'm not saying he doesn't love his wife and daughters, in his way, but he fails-or is unable-to give them priorty in his life. So, that's my two cents worth. 
 

This is so good, proulxfan.  I always also thought that that scene where Ennis tells Jack he feels people "know" about him, is very telling.  He can admit to himself and to Jack, but still doesn't have quite the words.  Anyway, you said it very well, highlighting some important -- and so poignant -- things about the film, about Ennis:  Jack's response; Ennis and family.  Really a good interpretation.

Jeez -- he must feel SO strongly that he's queer, to feel he carries it like a sign around his neck that everybody can see, whether Jack's around or not.  He is so tortured with this, that the facade is so necessary.  So sad...

kathy

Don't forget, this scene comes not to long after his Thanksgiving fight with Alma.  Ennis thought he fooled Alma all those years and he must have panicked when he found out she knew about him and Jack.  And, he never knew that she had seen him kissing Jack at their reunion.  I always thougt he asked Jack if everything was okay with Lureen because he figured if Alma could figure it out, Lureen must be able to also.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Aug 14, 2006, 11:33 PM
Don't forget, this scene comes not to long after his Thanksgiving fight with Alma.  Ennis thought he fooled Alma all those years and he must have panicked when he found out she knew about him and Jack.  And, he never knew that she had seen him kissing Jack at their reunion.  I always thougt he asked Jack if everything was okay with Lureen because he figured if Alma could figure it out, Lureen must be able to also.


Aha, yes. you're so right.  This never really occurred to me before, that even after Alma confronts Ennis about Jack, he still doesn't know that she saw that kiss!  I wonder what he really felt, how he thought that  she knew, other than just that something was fishy about those fishing trips.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 15, 2006, 07:27 AM

Ennis was certainly quite reckless at times.  He seems to swing between a devil-may-care attitude and one of some degree of paranoia.  I am not so sure whether this is an indication of repression, but I have seen such behavior in a number of people I have met who do seem to fit that description.

Whether or not Ennis is gay (and I do personally believe he is), the pattern of denial is quite classic.  Some gays go through endless justifications for their actions (that they are not truly gay because they only take on a certain role, do not fit according to a certain stereotype, etc...)  This  pattern of behavior is quite extreme in some cases.  In comparison to these, Ennis's ambivalence is not at all unrealistic.  Extreme as we may think it to be, fact is always more surprising than fiction.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Aug 15, 2006, 09:26 AM
I also think that Ennis wondered whether he was somehow giving something away without realising it or whether Alma had been dropping hints after the divorce because she suspected something. So he wanted to know if Lureen suspected the same and I thnik wondered whether Jack had been more successful than he had in keeping the secret. in reality, of course, it was evident to at least Randall that Jack was gay, and not apparently very obvious to anyone that Ennis was.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jeffjoe on Aug 15, 2006, 12:23 PM
The reallity is.. he enjoy the moment.. well who will not. If he was or not gay he enjoy the Jack love
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 15, 2006, 12:39 PM
If he was or not gay he enjoy the Jack love

This is certainly beyond dispute.  :)

welshwitch  raisies an interesting point: whether anything outwardly distinguished Ennis from Jack -- whether something marked him as clearly "different".  I guess this is related to proulxfan's observation.  It reveals more of Ennis's internal state of mind -- more than any external action.



 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Aug 15, 2006, 01:50 PM
It must have been apparently easier for Jack to look " normal"; he had a wife and child, whereas Ennis lived alone, was divorced and after the Thanksgiving scene didn't get on with his ex-wife, and must have been more liable to suspicious glances, apart from the simple fact that he didn't conform to the stereotype of married man, steady job, wife, father of two, etc.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Aug 24, 2006, 09:21 AM
Interesting, tpe and WW. I do wonder though... If, as most on this thread (and others) have said, Jack is more obviously gay, then why would Ennis be the one to feel so insecure? I would say: Because Jack feels more secure, more at one with himself, even though he wouldn't come out and say he is gay. It is all about how you feel about yourself. And BBM sometimes gave me the impression that Ennis really hates himself, maybe least when he is with Jack. So, in a way, when he says in that heartbreaking last scene of theirs that it is Jack's fault, that he is like this - there is maybe truth in that somewhere, but I would say that it is only thanks to Jack that Ennis is a true human being, thinking, feeling, not taking everything for granted - he feels the horrible pain that life sometimes brings, but that is in no way Jack's fault.  I just had a brainwave: What if is "Jack, I swear" meant that he realised this somehow; that all that was important in his life, all that was truly inner life, love, human development, had to do with Jack. That without him, he would have truly been "nothing".

I think, that when we see Ennis suffering it grows to be less important to know if he was gay or not. He was certainly suffering because he himself couldn't face that question (which he does verbalize in the short story in the motel scene), but the most important thing about him is his terrrible need to be loved and his incapacity to give himself fully, something that most of us have been confronted with at some point, gay or not.

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 24, 2006, 10:09 AM
Interesting, tpe and WW. I do wonder though... If, as most on this thread (and others) have said, Jack is more obviously gay, then why would Ennis be the one to feel so insecure? I would say: Because Jack feels more secure, more at one with himself, even though he wouldn't come out and say he is gay. It is all about how you feel about yourself. And BBM sometimes gave me the impression that Ennis really hates himself, maybe least when he is with Jack. So, in a way, when he says in that heartbreaking last scene of theirs that it is Jack's fault, that he is like this - there is maybe truth in that somewhere, but I would say that it is only thanks to Jack that Ennis is a true human being, thinking, feeling, not taking everything for granted - he feels the horrible pain that life sometimes brings, but that is in no way Jack's fault.  I just had a brainwave: What if is "Jack, I swear" meant that he realised this somehow; that all that was important in his life, all that was truly inner life, love, human development, had to do with Jack. That without him, he would have truly been "nothing".

I think, that when we see Ennis suffering it grows to be less important to know if he was gay or not. He was certainly suffering because he himself couldn't face that question (which he does verbalize in the short story in the motel scene), but the most important thing about him is his terrrible need to be loved and his incapacity to give himself fully, something that most of us have been confronted with at some point, gay or not.

monicita


I do think the character of Jack humanizes Ennis more.  Ennis is softer, more open to his desires, in the arms of Jack.

I think, that when we see Ennis suffering it grows to be less important to know if he was gay or not. He was certainly suffering because he himself couldn't face that question (which he does verbalize in the short story in the motel scene), but the most important thing about him is his terrrible need to be loved and his incapacity to give himself fully, something that most of us have been confronted with at some point, gay or not.

This is true.  Suffering, like love, is truly universal.  Sexual orientation recedes into the background.  We all need to be loved, and we all suffer sometimes because of it.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Aug 24, 2006, 04:02 PM
That's the irony of Ennis's life, that he has never been loved, having lost his parents, been brought up grudgingly by his brother and sister having been traumatized by his father at an early age - then when he finds the love he needs so desperately it comes from the only person who has ever cared for and about him, but who, is, in Ennis's mind, exactly the wrong source of love. If he were gay and knew it, even at some deep level, i don't think loving Jack would have caused him such terrible conflict.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 25, 2006, 09:02 AM
That's the irony of Ennis's life, that he has never been loved, having lost his parents, been brought up grudgingly by his brother and sister having been traumatized by his father at an early age - then when he finds the love he needs so desperately it comes from the only person who has ever cared for and about him, but who, is, in Ennis's mind, exactly the wrong source of love. If he were gay and knew it, even at some deep level, i don't think loving Jack would have caused him such terrible conflict.


This is perhaps the greatest "irony" in the story. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Aug 25, 2006, 01:31 PM
That's the irony of Ennis's life, that he has never been loved, having lost his parents, been brought up grudgingly by his brother and sister having been traumatized by his father at an early age - then when he finds the love he needs so desperately it comes from the only person who has ever cared for and about him, but who, is, in Ennis's mind, exactly the wrong source of love. If he were gay and knew it, even at some deep level, i don't think loving Jack would have caused him such terrible conflict.

This is perhaps the greatest "irony" in the story. 


Excellent.  What you said, WW, is beautiful and so sad.  That Ennis wouldn't have suffered so if he had felt that loving a man was okay.  But Jack was "the wrong source of love."  But still, he could have felt this "gayness" inside and still have been so conflicted, just because of society and his role in it, as he understands it.  I can see, though, that as he got older, and Alma was married, and the kids were grown, if he had been "gay," he would have let himself love Jack by that point -- the conflicts would have leveled out by then.

Yes, tpe, the greatest irony indeed.  The desperate need to be loved, and then not allowing the one who loves him to love him.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 25, 2006, 01:36 PM
The desperate need to be loved, and then not allowing the one who loves him to love him.

kathy


And he loved him in spite of himself. 

Ennis is not black and white.  He comes in shades of gray.  He is the greatest ambiguity in this story.

 :\'(




Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: erica loves jack on Sep 05, 2006, 12:55 PM
That's the irony of Ennis's life, that he has never been loved, having lost his parents, been brought up grudgingly by his brother and sister having been traumatized by his father at an early age - then when he finds the love he needs so desperately it comes from the only person who has ever cared for and about him, but who, is, in Ennis's mind, exactly the wrong source of love. If he were gay and knew it, even at some deep level, i don't think loving Jack would have caused him such terrible conflict.


This is perhaps the greatest "irony" in the story. 



The desperate need to be loved, and then not allowing the one who loves him to love him.

kathy


And he loved him in spite of himself. 

Ennis is not black and white.  He comes in shades of gray.  He is the greatest ambiguity in this story.

 :\'(



I agree with both of the above. My take on it is that both Ennis and Jack were gay. Jack was the one who accepted it and understood it while Ennis didn't accept it and definitely didn't understand it too well. I certainly agree that Ennis came in shades of gray. There wasn't a yes or no answer to his questioning if he was gay.... he had no idea what was going on really. All he knew was that he cared about Jack and was attracted to him and loved being with him... both emotionally and physically/sexually.

But then on the other end of things, I can see Ennis knowing and semi-understanding his homosexuality, just not accepting it. After all, he learned from an early age how hateful people could be towards men who loved other men, how 'wrong' it was. I'm sure in that moment, after seeing Earl's body in the ditch, he thought to himself 'I'm not going to be gay.' and what do ya know.... he fell in love with a man later. I think his father had a great deal to do with Ennis' inner struggle to find himself and accept himself.





Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 05, 2006, 01:20 PM

erica loves jack, thank for sharing with us your opinion.

I have said long ago that for me, BBM is Ennis's story -- a simple story that hides Ennis's complexity underneath.  The ambiguity that is Ennis's character is perhaps the story's greatest strength.  Outwardly simple, but so full of questions, doubts, hates, and loves.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: erica loves jack on Sep 05, 2006, 01:24 PM

erica loves jack, thank for sharing with us your opinion.

I have said long ago that for me, BBM is Ennis's story -- a simple story that hides Ennis's complexity underneath.  The ambiguity that is Ennis's character is perhaps the story's greatest strength.  Outwardly simple, but so full of questions, doubts, hates, and loves.

 


so so true. i agree.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 05, 2006, 01:36 PM

erica loves jack, thank for sharing with us your opinion.

I have said long ago that for me, BBM is Ennis's story -- a simple story that hides Ennis's complexity underneath.  The ambiguity that is Ennis's character is perhaps the story's greatest strength.  Outwardly simple, but so full of questions, doubts, hates, and loves.

 


so so true. i agree.

And in light of what we have shared and discussed, it is poigniant to realize that Jack was Ennis's great and tragic flaw.  More pointedly, it was through Jack that Ennis came to know (and to struggle with) what was deep inside of himself.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: erica loves jack on Sep 05, 2006, 02:53 PM

erica loves jack, thank for sharing with us your opinion.

I have said long ago that for me, BBM is Ennis's story -- a simple story that hides Ennis's complexity underneath.  The ambiguity that is Ennis's character is perhaps the story's greatest strength.  Outwardly simple, but so full of questions, doubts, hates, and loves.

 


so so true. i agree.

And in light of what we have shared and discussed, it is poigniant to realize that Jack was Ennis's great and tragic flaw.  More pointedly, it was through Jack that Ennis came to know (and to struggle with) what was deep inside of himself.

 




That's so true and powerful. It really makes me think.

Without Jack, where would Ennis be? Who would Ennis be??



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Sep 05, 2006, 03:26 PM
Jack was Ennis's Achilles heel. without him Ennis would have married Alma and led the sort oflife she expected - he'd have had no reason not to take a regular job and might never have met anyone else, male or female, who attracted him. If Alma had eventually divorced him and married Monroe, Ennis might have met and married Cassie. All the feelings Jack aroused in him would have remained latent and Ennis would have remianed, outwardly at least, straight. I don't think he'd have been happy, exactly - his father had set him up for problems long before - but neithr do I think he'd have been as miserable as he ends up.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Patriot1 on Sep 05, 2006, 03:30 PM

Without Jack, where would Ennis be? Who would Ennis be??


It is my opinion that without Jack, Ennis would have gone through life believing he was a happily married man. He would never have known true love.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 05, 2006, 04:15 PM

Without Jack, where would Ennis be? Who would Ennis be??


It is my opinion that without Jack, Ennis would have gone through life believing he was a happily married man. He would never have known true love.

I do feel the same way.  Is finding love worth the tragedy?  For some of us, yes.  But so sad to contemplate...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: erica loves jack on Sep 05, 2006, 04:20 PM
Jack was Ennis's Achilles heel. without him Ennis would have married Alma and led the sort oflife she expected - he'd have had no reason not to take a regular job and might never have met anyone else, male or female, who attracted him. If Alma had eventually divorced him and married Monroe, Ennis might have met and married Cassie. All the feelings Jack aroused in him would have remained latent and Ennis would have remianed, outwardly at least, straight. I don't think he'd have been happy, exactly - his father had set him up for problems long before - but neithr do I think he'd have been as miserable as he ends up.


True.... he may be miserable because of his love for Jack, but at least he loved someone and they loved him in return. “I'd rather have loved and lost than to have never loved at all” or however that saying goes. Despite how miserable he is as a result of the trials and tribulations of his and Jack's relationship, he at least loved someone with all his heart (even if he didn’t know it at the time) and they loved him.

I think with Ennis truly understanding how painful it was and how miserable he is now, it leads him to really understand that what he and Ennis had was real, true, deep love. I don’t think he realized what 'it' was until he saw their shirts... then he opened his eyes and took a look in his heart and realized he'd loved Jack all along and Jack desperately loved him with all his heart.




Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Patriot1 on Sep 05, 2006, 04:25 PM

Without Jack, where would Ennis be? Who would Ennis be??


It is my opinion that without Jack, Ennis would have gone through life believing he was a happily married man. He would never have known true love.

I do feel the same way.  Is finding love worth the tragedy?  For some of us, yes.  But so sad to contemplate...


There doesn't have to be a tragedy. All they had to do is get away from the rednecks. Many, many gay couples lived happy lives in many places in the United States during that time period.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: erica loves jack on Sep 05, 2006, 04:40 PM
Jack would have been ready and eager to move out of there with Ennis.... but like he said, Ennis didn't want it. He was in denial, scared, not wanting change..... I don't know for sure. Something like that.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Patriot1 on Sep 05, 2006, 05:29 PM
Jack would have been ready and eager to move out of there with Ennis.... but like he said, Ennis didn't want it. He was in denial, scared, not wanting change..... I don't know for sure. Something like that.

Ennis was in denial about what? that is was gay? or at the very least bisexual?  How can a guy who is having sex with another guy deny he is gay or bi?  What does he do during the coupling, say to himself, "I am not gay. I am not gay. WOW this is great!!!  I am not gay. I am not gay."   :8

Yes! That is exactly what he did! Ennis was in total denial.

Ennis was scared. Sure he was scared. He didn't want to end up like Earl. What better reason to get the heck out of Wyoming and move to a place more gay friendly?  And when I say gay friendly I don't mean it in the way it is meant today. There was no such place back then. But there were places where he and Jack could have lived and could have been left alone. Many people did it back then.

Ennis was not wanting to change. Now there is the key as far as I am concerned. What was there to change? In Ennis' mind he and Jack were two straight guys with families who would enjoy each other's companionship and sex 2 or 3 times a year. That is all. Nothing to change. Nothing that is until Ennis found the shirts and realized that Jack was in love with him and that he was also in love with Jack. Now, however, it is too late to change anything. Jack is dead and the man he loved will live alone the rest of his life with only the memories of his love for Jack and how it might have been if he just tried to fix it.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: erica loves jack on Sep 05, 2006, 06:02 PM
Jack would have been ready and eager to move out of there with Ennis.... but like he said, Ennis didn't want it. He was in denial, scared, not wanting change..... I don't know for sure. Something like that.

Ennis was in denial about what? that is was gay? or at the very least bisexual?  How can a guy who is having sex with another guy deny he is gay or bi?  What does he do during the coupling, say to himself, "I am not gay. I am not gay. WOW this is great!!!  I am not gay. I am not gay."   :8

Yes! That is exactly what he did! Ennis was in total denial.

Ennis was scared. Sure he was scared. He didn't want to end up like Earl. What better reason to get the heck out of Wyoming and move to a place more gay friendly?  And when I say gay friendly I don't mean it in the way it is meant today. There was no such place back then. But there were places where he and Jack could have lived and could have been left alone. Many people did it back then.

Ennis was not wanting to change. Now there is the key as far as I am concerned. What was there to change? In Ennis' mind he and Jack were two straight guys with families who would enjoy each other's companionship and sex 2 or 3 times a year. That is all. Nothing to change. Nothing that is until Ennis found the shirts and realized that Jack was in love with him and that he was also in love with Jack. Now, however, it is too late to change anything. Jack is dead and the man he loved will live alone the rest of his life with only the memories of his love for Jack and how it might have been if he just tried to fix it.




i think you read my mind....



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 05, 2006, 06:05 PM
There doesn't have to be a tragedy. All they had to do is get away from the rednecks. Many, many gay couples lived happy lives in many places in the United States during that time period.

This is true. 

I still wonder though (speculatively) if Ennis would have opened up even in a more tolerant place.  His inner trauma seemed to have been his greatest enemy...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: erica loves jack on Sep 05, 2006, 06:12 PM
There doesn't have to be a tragedy. All they had to do is get away from the rednecks. Many, many gay couples lived happy lives in many places in the United States during that time period.

This is true. 

I still wonder though (speculatively) if Ennis would have opened up even in a more tolerant place.  His inner trauma seemed to have been his greatest enemy...





If Jack was there with him, I believe he would have. Jack was the one person Ennis was himself around. Jack was the only person he could really talk to. I'm sure they would've worked it out.





Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Patriot1 on Sep 05, 2006, 10:25 PM
There doesn't have to be a tragedy. All they had to do is get away from the rednecks. Many, many gay couples lived happy lives in many places in the United States during that time period.

This is true. 

I still wonder though (speculatively) if Ennis would have opened up even in a more tolerant place.  His inner trauma seemed to have been his greatest enemy...


I don't know if Ennis would have opened up but he could have lived without so much fear of being killed and thus a little happier. Over time he may have begun to open up once he learned there was a gay world out there, but who knows.




Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: greenfrog on Sep 05, 2006, 10:54 PM
There doesn't have to be a tragedy. All they had to do is get away from the rednecks. Many, many gay couples lived happy lives in many places in the United States during that time period.

This is true. 

I still wonder though (speculatively) if Ennis would have opened up even in a more tolerant place.  His inner trauma seemed to have been his greatest enemy...


If Jack was there with him, I believe he would have. Jack was the one person Ennis was himself around. Jack was the only person he could really talk to. I'm sure they would've worked it out.


Very true. Ennis so badly needed somebody (anbody) to tell him that what he was feeling was O.K.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: erica loves jack on Sep 06, 2006, 12:33 AM
Uhhhh. It's so sad to realize how much Ennis needed Jack to tell him how he was feeling was ok. No one else in Ennis' life would assure him... they were all against it. Just knowing that the one person you knew was there for you through it all... was dead, knowing you would never be able to hear him assuring you again, never be able to feel him, love him.... that's gotta be the toughest thing. I'm sure if he told his girls they would be understanding (at least in a matter of time) and stand by him, because they loved him. And even if he did find another man to love, it would never be the same as Jack's love. He would compare and always remember the way it was with Jack... so pure, real, true. Their 'force of nature' kind of love. It's depressing just typing it out. :(


(I wrote a long, nice meaningful post and went to post it and what do ya know.... my session had timed out so I lost allllllllll of what I just wrote. AHHHH! I hate that. but I tried to rewrite it the best I could within my limited patients level.)


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: greenfrog on Sep 06, 2006, 12:36 AM
Beautiful post Erica.

I just so really wish Jack had said something to Ennis to help him understand it was O.K.

I'm all teary eyed again now  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: erica loves jack on Sep 06, 2006, 12:46 AM
Beautiful post Erica.

I just so really wish Jack had said something to Ennis to help him understand it was O.K.

I'm all teary eyed again now  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(


Awww I'm sorry. :(

Yeah, but I think Jack did all he could. Even if he had told Ennis it was ok over and over again.... it was up to Ennis to accept it and understand for himself that it was ok.

Geeeez, why does Ennis freakin' Del Mar have to be so complex!!!??? Ahhhh!



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: greenfrog on Sep 06, 2006, 12:50 AM
You're right. In the end, Jack could only do so much for Ennis.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Patriot1 on Sep 06, 2006, 12:57 AM
(I wrote a long, nice meaningful post and went to post it and what do ya know.... my session had timed out so I lost allllllllll of what I just wrote. AHHHH! I hate that. but I tried to rewrite it the best I could within my limited patients level.)


Erica, when that happens again, do the following:

When you get the message about the timeout, click your browser's BACK button. It will take you back to what you wrote.

Highlight everything in the write window, right click and then click COPY.  That will save what you wrote to your Windows Clipboard.

Then click on your BACK button once more. Then click on your browser's RELOAD or REFRESH button.

Then click again on reply or quote as if you were replying for the first time. If you copied ALL that was in the write window, delete everything that is in the write window now.

Then PASTE what you copied into the write window.

That works for me every time.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: erica loves jack on Sep 06, 2006, 01:01 AM
(I wrote a long, nice meaningful post and went to post it and what do ya know.... my session had timed out so I lost allllllllll of what I just wrote. AHHHH! I hate that. but I tried to rewrite it the best I could within my limited patients level.)


Erica, when that happens again, do the following:

When you get the message about the timeout, click your browser's BACK button. It will take you back to what you wrote.

Highlight everything in the write window, right click and then click COPY.  That will save what you wrote to your Windows Clipboard.

Then click on your BACK button once more. Then click on your browser's RELOAD or REFRESH button.

Then click again on reply or quote as if you were replying for the first time. If you copied ALL that was in the write window, delete everything that is in the write window now.

Then PASTE what you copied into the write window.

That works for me every time.



ok thanks!  %)


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 06, 2006, 07:21 AM
(I wrote a long, nice meaningful post and went to post it and what do ya know.... my session had timed out so I lost allllllllll of what I just wrote. AHHHH! I hate that. but I tried to rewrite it the best I could within my limited patients level.)


Erica, when that happens again, do the following:

When you get the message about the timeout, click your browser's BACK button. It will take you back to what you wrote.

Highlight everything in the write window, right click and then click COPY.  That will save what you wrote to your Windows Clipboard.

Then click on your BACK button once more. Then click on your browser's RELOAD or REFRESH button.

Then click again on reply or quote as if you were replying for the first time. If you copied ALL that was in the write window, delete everything that is in the write window now.

Then PASTE what you copied into the write window.

That works for me every time.



ok thanks!  %)

Thank you for giving those tips Patriot1.

Erica, I hope you would be able to reconstruct some of your thoughts lost in that aborted post.  :)

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Sep 06, 2006, 09:24 AM
Ennis is complikcate? What about all that tecchie stuff above? Human character is eaier than anything to do with computers, IMO.

Ennis's problem, if it is one, is that he's not self-analytical - probably because he's afraid to be. Jack isn't either - he just accepts what he is and gets on with it. Ennis is never at ease with himself because he never confronts what he is, or not until after finding the shiirts anyway.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: erica loves jack on Sep 06, 2006, 12:50 PM
(I wrote a long, nice meaningful post and went to post it and what do ya know.... my session had timed out so I lost allllllllll of what I just wrote. AHHHH! I hate that. but I tried to rewrite it the best I could within my limited patients level.)


Erica, when that happens again, do the following:

When you get the message about the timeout, click your browser's BACK button. It will take you back to what you wrote.

Highlight everything in the write window, right click and then click COPY.  That will save what you wrote to your Windows Clipboard.

Then click on your BACK button once more. Then click on your browser's RELOAD or REFRESH button.

Then click again on reply or quote as if you were replying for the first time. If you copied ALL that was in the write window, delete everything that is in the write window now.

Then PASTE what you copied into the write window.

That works for me every time.



ok thanks!  %)

Thank you for giving those tips Patriot1.

Erica, I hope you would be able to reconstruct some of your thoughts lost in that aborted post.  :)

 


Yes, I somehow managed.....but I gladly put my new knowledge to work when it happened again later in the night. I felt so savvy. :)

But forget about me.... onto Ennis....


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Sep 06, 2006, 04:09 PM
And in light of what we have shared and discussed, it is poigniant to realize that Jack was Ennis's great and tragic flaw.  More pointedly, it was through Jack that Ennis came to know (and to struggle with) what was deep inside of himself.


Yes, yes, how fascinating.  If Jack had never come into his life, Ennis would never have known those deepest parts of himself.  Or, better the way you said it, Tom:  that Jack was Ennis's flaw.  Without Jack that flaw might never have surfaced at all.  That would be an even more tragic story.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 06, 2006, 04:30 PM
Yes, yes, how fascinating.  If Jack had never come into his life, Ennis would never have known those deepest parts of himself.  Or, better the way you said it, Tom:  that Jack was Ennis's flaw.  Without Jack that flaw might never have surfaced at all.   That would be an even more tragic story.

kathy

This is what I think Patriot1 referred to in a previous post when he said that Ennis would have stayed married and would have remained sad.  Sometimes, it is easier not to find the key to a locked door...

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Sep 06, 2006, 04:31 PM
Jack would have been ready and eager to move out of there with Ennis.... but like he said, Ennis didn't want it. He was in denial, scared, not wanting change..... I don't know for sure. Something like that.

Ennis was in denial about what? that is was gay? or at the very least bisexual?  How can a guy who is having sex with another guy deny he is gay or bi?  What does he do during the coupling, say to himself, "I am not gay. I am not gay. WOW this is great!!!  I am not gay. I am not gay."   :8

Yes! That is exactly what he did! Ennis was in total denial.

Ennis was scared. Sure he was scared. He didn't want to end up like Earl. What better reason to get the heck out of Wyoming and move to a place more gay friendly?  And when I say gay friendly I don't mean it in the way it is meant today. There was no such place back then. But there were places where he and Jack could have lived and could have been left alone. Many people did it back then.

Ennis was not wanting to change. Now there is the key as far as I am concerned. What was there to change? In Ennis' mind he and Jack were two straight guys with families who would enjoy each other's companionship and sex 2 or 3 times a year. That is all. Nothing to change. Nothing that is until Ennis found the shirts and realized that Jack was in love with him and that he was also in love with Jack. Now, however, it is too late to change anything. Jack is dead and the man he loved will live alone the rest of his life with only the memories of his love for Jack and how it might have been if he just tried to fix it.


LOL, the bolded above!!  This is so true, P1 -- it really would have been simple, if they'd left and moved somewhere else.  I know as you know that there weren't exactly "gay" places then, except maybe in NYC.  They could have gone anywhere, to the woods in West Virginia or Alaska or someplace, or even to Texas as Jack said, if not the big city.  Sure, Ennis might have been looking over his shoulder, but that was necessary.  Okay, so, as you said, Ennis didn't feel the need to change as much as Jack did, though what he was holding onto there toward the end is pretty debatable -- having the girls once a month or something.

It really is too bad that Jack didn't push harder for moving someplace else, didn't force the issue with Ennis, divorce Lureen, get Ennis out of there to someplace disconnected from his childhood memories, where at least he might have the illusion that he and Jack living together might be safe.  But Jack didn't push it enough at the time that it might have happened, only got angry with Ennis at the end of years of frustration.

You know what I always used to feel, and was surprised at with this story and the movie:  I had the idea that it was perfectly okay for two men to set up an operation together, because one man can't do it alone.  I would have thought that in a place like the wide open West, that would have been more common, just how life was done.  Did absolutely every single man have to have a woman and children?  Isn't there a time-honored tradition of the bachelor?  I thought it would be more common and that out there, people didn't butt into other people's business.  But I see that is not the case.  Why is it that the plains states should be so conservative, anyway? What happened to the tradition of going out west to be free?  Certainly in earlier decades in our country, in the west, it wouldn't have been a big deal for Rich and Earl to be together, would it have?  Did the church get too intrusive already by the mid-century and start butting in and paying attention to what people were doing in their homes, or what?  Or was it just some nasty ornery old coot for ignorant reasons of his own who did Earl in, and so Ennis got the idea that two men living together was absolutely a no-way thing?  I'm getting OT.  Not that there wasn't homophobia, but Ennis was just super-paranoid about it.  Probably the most gay are the most paranoid to be seen as straight.  Like the Willie Nelson queer cowboys song :)

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Sep 06, 2006, 04:36 PM
Uhhhh. It's so sad to realize how much Ennis needed Jack to tell him how he was feeling was ok. No one else in Ennis' life would assure him... they were all against it. Just knowing that the one person you knew was there for you through it all... was dead, knowing you would never be able to hear him assuring you again, never be able to feel him, love him.... that's gotta be the toughest thing. I'm sure if he told his girls they would be understanding (at least in a matter of time) and stand by him, because they loved him. And even if he did find another man to love, it would never be the same as Jack's love. He would compare and always remember the way it was with Jack... so pure, real, true. Their 'force of nature' kind of love. It's depressing just typing it out. :(

(I wrote a long, nice meaningful post and went to post it and what do ya know.... my session had timed out so I lost allllllllll of what I just wrote. AHHHH! I hate that. but I tried to rewrite it the best I could within my limited patients level.)


I hate when that happens!!  That has happened to me more than a few times.  So now, just as a good habit, when I feel like I've been on for a while and might get logged off, and I'm writing something long (what else is new?) I SAVE it before I click Post, then if I get logged off, just go back and post it again.

But we both might say more than necessary anyway, and having to rewrite it might get the point across without saying much!

Anyway, I almost cried reading your post also...

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: greenfrog on Sep 06, 2006, 09:52 PM
Great posts Kathy.  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Sep 06, 2006, 10:41 PM
In the West when it was opening up there was a shortage of men, so bad that there were times when ships left Liverpool loaded with spinsters who were destined to be school-teachers or something respectable like that but when they arrived were earmarked as wives - men needed wives to do all the doestic stuff while they wer off clesring the land and farmingit, shooting predators and Indians, or whatever. From everything I've read there was an assumption that every man wanted to marry less than he needed to do so - these were the days of men doing their thing and women theirs and the things were entirely different. I don;t know why, but I asssume that because the West was seen as wild, once it became settled there was more pressure to be "respectable" and " normal" to show that this wasn't a place full of savages; it soon acquired a reputation for lawlessness which took a long time to disappear.And of course religion played apart - lots of people who moved out to settle were the kind of believers who wanted everyone else to believe the same as they did - you could " light out for the territories" like Huck Finn, but once the school-teachers and preachers and so on arrived so did suburban respectability and the pressure to conform.

There must be an opening for a history of gays in the West and of attitudes to them - one can see why big cities were more tolerant in general (I'm thinking of NYC, SF and so on) but less obvious why some weren't. It's relatively easy, also, to see that the rural areas of newer states might be conservative in their attitudes; I suppose that the same is true of such areas in older states is again a result of religious belief.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Sep 07, 2006, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the enlightening post, WW! I have also read that there were many more female, black and Asian cowboys than is commonly assumed. So why shouldn't there have been a lot of gay ones as well? The whole theme of the Wild West attracted gay men (THE major writer about the American West in Germany was Karl May and his "Winnetou", he was as gay as can be...). I think the istory of the west was simply rewritten, as was the bible and may histories. Rewritten, so as to look more respectable, less anarchic. Ennis probably only ever heard or read the "bowdlerized" version.

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 07, 2006, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the enlightening post, WW! I have also read that there were many more female, black and Asian cowboys than is commonly assumed. So why shouldn't there have been a lot of gay ones as well? The whole theme of the Wild West attracted gay men (THE major writer about the American West in Germany was Karl May and his "Winnetou", he was as gay as can be...). I think the istory of the west was simply rewritten, as was the bible and may histories. Rewritten, so as to look more respectable, less anarchic. Ennis probably only ever heard or read the "bowdlerized" version.

monicita

Perhaps a bit OOT: I don't know if a history of homosexuality in the American West has ever been written.  Does anybody know?  I should do a quick bibliographic check on this...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Sep 07, 2006, 10:23 AM
It's certainly true that there were many black cowboys, some of them southerners displaced by the civil War/War between the States. There were also Mexicans - a good place to start reading about the other side of Americn history is howard Zinn's " A People'sHistory of the United Staes" = Longman's - 1980 - there are probably more recnt things but this is a sort of classic as it was an early venture into this field.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Sep 07, 2006, 06:22 PM
Great discussion, what might actually have been going on out West as far as "respectability" and who defined it.  Of course, it was different in every area, different in every community really, different in everyone's perception; and then we don't know the truth of history anyway, as monicita said.  And then factor in all those others:  blacks, Asians, Mexicans, others, with their own cultural values -- who knows??  And we really do have to separate different eras, too -- things do change so much so fast.

Then, WW, I'm chuckling at the Englishwoman telling us about American history.  :)  Thank you, righto.  And you're so right about women coming out West or being sent over here from elsewhere in order to be the domestics for the men out West.  I forgot about that.  I forgot that those men did not do their own cooking and laundry and all that!  And that someone to have kids to grow up to be more workers was desireable, too.  I still bet there were respectable "straight" bachelors around who wouldn't be persecuted.

(What about in Lake Wobegon?  The "Norweigan bachelor farmers" he talks about :)  They weren't gay, they were just bachelors.  Hmmm...Ennis and Jack in Lake Wobegon?)

But back to Ennis, it was an interesting period -- he and Jack were just short of being baby boomers -- pretty funny, that.  Though born in 1944, presumably, they were still of the post-war generation like some of us, and things were jumping over here during that time.  But things jumped differently out in rural west...and it all comes down to his own perceptions anyway.

It occurs to me that a big thing that was happening during that time, post-war, was that the men came home and pushed the women out of the workforce where they'd had independence, stuck them back in the kitchen and to have babies (us).  It's too complex, how that factors into social mores of the times, but certainly the "nuclear family" was supposedly the ideal in Ennis and Jack's parents' time, so any variant wasn't going to fit in.

As to if he was actually homosexually inclined from birth or not, I don't really see strong evidence in the movie or story of him being any more gay than the next boy.  I would think most boys messed around with other boys a little (like the girls I knew of, with the girls), and then a bit older, thought about it at the least...and I can't imagine any other young man similar to Ennis being in that situation with Jack and not acting on it.  I think the men here might answer this better, could know how it feels to be a young boy, not quickened by adolescence even yet, and starting to feel gay...

But I keep forgetting -- I am really not a good judge of this.  I forget that really religious people were different, and sometimes it was so strong that even the rebelliousness of youth couldn't break through the religious conditioning.  I grew up in the city, experimented with different religions or none, including Eastern thought and such that my dad had books about, dad the jazz piano player, etc., etc.  So I just can't say what life was like for my peers who didn't live in big cities in comfortable enough conditions that allowed for some amount of freedom.

Anyway, I like talking about this subject (teacher don't like me -- I talk too much) but I don't require an answer for myself.  I'm just glad Ennis found this kind of love for himself even considering the outcome...

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: greenfrog on Sep 07, 2006, 08:20 PM
Great post Kathy.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 08, 2006, 07:06 AM
As to if he was actually homosexually inclined from birth or not, I don't really see strong evidence in the movie or story of him being any more gay than the next boy.  I would think most boys messed around with other boys a little (like the girls I knew of, with the girls), and then a bit older, thought about it at the least...and I can't imagine any other young man similar to Ennis being in that situation with Jack and not acting on it.  I think the men here might answer this better, could know how it feels to be a young boy, not quickened by adolescence even yet, and starting to feel gay...

But I keep forgetting -- I am really not a good judge of this.  I forget that really religious people were different, and sometimes it was so strong that even the rebelliousness of youth couldn't break through the religious conditioning.  I grew up in the city, experimented with different religions or none, including Eastern thought and such that my dad had books about, dad the jazz piano player, etc., etc.  So I just can't say what life was like for my peers who didn't live in big cities in comfortable enough conditions that allowed for some amount of freedom.

Anyway, I like talking about this subject (teacher don't like me -- I talk too much) but I don't require an answer for myself.  I'm just glad Ennis found this kind of love for himself even considering the outcome...

kathy

Interesting thoughts, kathy.   I agree about the aspect of religious conditioning, and how it can retard innate feelings and sexual identity. 

As to Ennis not being able to act in any other way in such a situation, I am a bit less sure.  As I mentioned in another thread, love and even sex may not happen between two such people (gay or straight), although the possibility that sex might occur is certainly higher.  Of course, a lot of straight men may have had homosexual relationships when younger, even if these did not have an effect on their overall sexual orientation.  Not surprisingly, the same can be said with many homosexual men who have had heterosexual relationships in thier younger days: these experiences in no way affected their innate sexual preferences.

It is certainly not straightforward...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Sep 08, 2006, 06:14 PM
Interesting thoughts, kathy.   I agree about the aspect of religious conditioning, and how it can retard innate feelings and sexual identity. 

As to Ennis not being able to act in any other way in such a situation, I am a bit less sure.  As I mentioned in another thread, love and even sex may not happen between two such people (gay or straight), although the possibility that sex might occur is certainly higher.  Of course, a lot of straight men may have had homosexual relationships when younger, even if these did not have an effect on their overall sexual orientation.  Not surprisingly, the same can be said with many homosexual men who have had heterosexual relationships in thier younger days: these experiences in no way affected their innate sexual preferences.

It is certainly not straightforward...

It most certainly is not straightforward, so to speak.  :*(  I guess that's what keeps us discussing all of this.  The whole thing -- our inner selves, our outer selves, our feelings, BBM, our feelings about BBM -- is so rich.

I didn't really mean that Ennis would not be able to act in any other way in such a situation.  I just meant that it seems likely the same thing might have happened to any other young man somewhat similar to Ennis, up there for the summer with Jack or a young man similar to Jack.  Seems to me.  Maybe not, though -- maybe the two men up there could be really fixed in their heterosexuality.  Jack and Ennis were more flexible.  And anyway, it's about more than sex between them in any event.  Or this is going around in circles, just like you said -- not straightforward!

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 09, 2006, 04:11 PM
It most certainly is not straightforward, so to speak.  :*(  I guess that's what keeps us discussing all of this.  The whole thing -- our inner selves, our outer selves, our feelings, BBM, our feelings about BBM -- is so rich.

I didn't really mean that Ennis would not be able to act in any other way in such a situation.  I just meant that it seems likely the same thing might have happened to any other young man somewhat similar to Ennis, up there for the summer with Jack or a young man similar to Jack.  Seems to me.  Maybe not, though -- maybe the two men up there could be really fixed in their heterosexuality.  Jack and Ennis were more flexible.  And anyway, it's about more than sex between them in any event.  Or this is going around in circles, just like you said -- not straightforward!

kathy

Loneliness is such a strange thing, no?  Given the right circumstances, deep affections can indeed develop between people, no matter what their genders and sexual orientations are.    Some of them certainly develop sexually.  Others not.  Who knows how things develop?  Human nature is as predictable as the human heart.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Sep 09, 2006, 04:17 PM
Yes, and into this equation you can alsio add isolation - what happens on Brokeback is evidently going to remain a secret, and as long as you're in no dannger of exposure you might be more inclined to do things you would, in other circumstances, not even consider.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 09, 2006, 04:24 PM
Yes, and into this equation you can alsio add isolation - what happens on Brokeback is evidently going to remain a secret, and as long as you're in no dannger of exposure you might be more inclined to do things you would, in other circumstances, not even consider.


Ennis's was a double isolation.   He did try to isolate and try to forget his stay on BBM during the early years of his marriage to Alma.  To some extent, it remained a secret to a part of himself that never wanted to know how he felt for Jack.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: FulOfSadness on Sep 29, 2006, 07:18 PM
Annie Proulx says he's gay, not bisexual. He's gay
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: greenfrog on Sep 29, 2006, 07:28 PM
Annie Proulx says he's gay, not bisexual. He's gay

Interesting  :s)

I would have thought that she would leave it open for people to question (like we're doing now).

Thanks  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jeffjoe on Sep 30, 2006, 11:38 PM
I've saw it the movie one time after another and i really think he was gay from the beginning, just look his face when meet jack the way he look him ::)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: greenfrog on Oct 01, 2006, 08:03 PM
I've saw it the movie one time after another and i really think he was gay from the beginning, just look his face when meet jack the way he look him ::)

(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.squashduck.com%2Fltd%2Fbbm%2Fimages%2Fimages%2FPDVD_006_jpg.jpg&hash=dfff0c7567f2d41474dfda05e56b0683aae1bd19)

Sexual Tension !!!!

(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.squashduck.com%2Fltd%2Fbbm%2Fimages%2Fimages%2FPDVD_007_jpg.jpg&hash=e885cc57b133e35196e35ab640ff8dd2ace2c142)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Oct 02, 2006, 10:55 AM
I agree, there definitely is sexual tension from the very beginning. But why would that have to mean that he is gay, as opposed to his being bisexual? It might even be that he feels this kind of sexual tension only with one person: Jack. So one could argue (and some have), that he is neither gay, nor bisexual but a one man's man. I still think, that to be gay, you need to indentify with the concept in one way or another. You need to know what that means. Ennis knows what it is to be "qeer",  something he doesn't want to be associated with. But the positive connotations of being gay, as something people might want to embrace joyfully are probably totally unknown to him. Therefore I think that he was not gay in the sense I use the word.

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Oct 02, 2006, 11:03 AM
In any case, I don't think Ennis is self-aware enough to look into himself and analyze what he is, specially when he lives in a time and place where the concept of gay as we use it is unfamiliar/unknown.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jesseanne21 on Oct 02, 2006, 12:15 PM
In any case, I don't think Ennis is self-aware enough to look into himself and analyze what he is, specially when he lives in a time and place where the concept of gay as we use it is unfamiliar/unknown.

I agree with you Welshwitch, Ennis' idea of gay (queer) is very limited.  He tells Jack in the motel scene in the short story, "I don't want to be like those guys you see around sometimes."  Ennis' view of gay is "a joke" or "dead by tire iron."
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: hpv on Oct 02, 2006, 02:07 PM
Here is a related question: if Ennis is gay, does it -- in a way -- make him less or more interesting to you?
For me, it is certainly more interesting if Ennis is indeed gay.  His conflicting tendencies are cast into sharper focus.
TPE, for me, if iEnnis is gay, is also a more interesting story.  I cannot imagine the degree of inner pain and struggle he must have endured (BBM shows some).
My heart aches for Ennis  :'(
Yes, I agree.  The conflict is at the heart of the story.
I think that you all have a good point here, but in my opinion, I think that at the beginning Ennis was very lonely ,then he just fell completely in love with Jack,
 the only human being that gave him the warmth he so desperately seeked.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Oct 02, 2006, 03:42 PM
I have to admit i have avoided posting on this thread because I have no f##cking idea if Ennis is really truly gay I do seem to think that Jack was trippin Ennis out with his little pose against the truck when they first met. I believe he maybe had some deepseated "dormant" feelins for men at the point he met Jack. Probably never met anyone as open and freespirited as Jack though. A slow process brought those feelings to the surface with Jack's help. Oh hell I just don't know. There nothing in the movie that gives any clue to his true sexual indenty.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Oct 02, 2006, 04:48 PM
I think you're both right - Ennis is lonely, no-one has had much time for him and Jack immediately shows an interest. Jack is outgoing where he's not, more experienced, more talkative - in every way the sort ofperson someone like Ennis would be attracted to anyway. Throw in the isolation on the mountain, and the fact that Ennis is more competent than Jack and can show it, and Jack is happy to respond, and you have a pair who go together. Ennis is attracted to what Jack is in character - thathe's a man may be almost incidental at first - afterwards, when he realizes what's happened, Ennis can;t quite get his head around the notion that he's "queer" and never really does.

In any case, how can we "know" what Ennis is when half the time we don't even know what we are ourselves.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Oct 02, 2006, 10:21 PM
I like all these insightful comments.  I tend to think, like monicita, that Ennis is more just attracted to Jack than he is "gay."  He knew enough about queer to know it was bad news, and his early experience certainly had to have made him think about it more throughout his formative years than he would have if that had never happened, if Earl and Rich hadn't lived by him, if his horrid father hadn't shown him Earl in the ditch.  So I'm sure he would have entertained ideas, if he ever had any feelings about a boy.  And it might have been natural for this to happen, as it would be for any boys, in whatever situations they find themselves in their awakening sexuality, where they feel that spark of feeling and they happen to be with a boy when they feel it.

So the idea wouldn't have been new to him, but I'm sure he thought it was totally out of the realm of possibility that anything would ever happen in his life...until Jack struts onto the scene and captures his heart and his libido.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Oct 03, 2006, 07:27 AM
I think that you all have a good point here, but in my opinion, I think that at the beginning Ennis was very lonely ,then he just fell completely in love with Jack,
 the only human being that gave him the warmth he so desperately seeked.

Who can know the twists of the human heart, no?  When it is lonely, it will respond deeply to any hint of kindness.  After all, is not love a response to loneliness? 

Whether or not he was gay, we know that he responded to love.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: christie wood on Oct 03, 2006, 04:53 PM
I think that you all have a good point here, but in my opinion, I think that at the beginning Ennis was very lonely ,then he just fell completely in love with Jack,
 the only human being that gave him the warmth he so desperately seeked.

Who can know the twists of the human heart, no?  When it is lonely, it will respond deeply to any hint of kindness.  After all, is not love a response to loneliness? 

Whether or not he was gay, we know that he responded to love.



Beautifully put tpe, as always.  You have a way with words. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Oct 04, 2006, 07:39 AM


Thank you, christie.  I do think we connect with and love Ennis deeply because he struggled (like all of us) to respond to love, and not because of his sexuality.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: JT on Oct 06, 2006, 11:14 PM
I always like your imput, tpe.  Very well said.  It comes to a piont where it doesn't matter what his sexuality is.  We know who he really love at the end and I think that love is whats important.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Oct 07, 2006, 03:52 PM
I always like your imput, tpe.  Very well said.  It comes to a piont where it doesn't matter what his sexuality is.  We know who he really love at the end and I think that love is whats important.

Thanks, JT.  I have found myself settling on this after all the back-and-forth discussions in this thread and in the thread dealing with Jack's sexuality.   In spite of my own sexual preferences, I would like to think that the ability to love goes beyond a rigorously defined sexuality.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Oct 07, 2006, 04:31 PM
AS I've said before, i think in the end no matter how you see yourself, if you fall in lovei it's with an individual and at that moment it doesn't matter if the one you love is straight, gay, black, white or a Martian. Ennis loves Jack and its Jack's individuality, the Jackness of Jack if you like, that he loves.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: greenfrog on Oct 07, 2006, 08:13 PM
AS I've said before, i think in the end no matter how you see yourself, if you fall in lovei it's with an individual and at that moment it doesn't matter if the one you love is straight, gay, black, white or a Martian. Ennis loves Jack and its Jack's individuality, the Jackness of Jack if you like, that he loves.

Beautiful post Welshwitch  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Oct 08, 2006, 08:18 AM
Thank you, Greenfrog. I believe it - I think the "Love is a force of nature" line they used to publiciize the movie is true. Don't think any other factors really matter when the lightning strikes.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: greenfrog on Oct 08, 2006, 09:59 PM
Don't think any other factors really matter when the lightning strikes.

Except if you standing under a tree.  ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Oct 09, 2006, 08:31 AM
Thank you, Greenfrog. I believe it - I think the "Love is a force of nature" line they used to publiciize the movie is true. Don't think any other factors really matter when the lightning strikes.

I think "Love is human" is also an equivalent statement.  The fact that you love (not necessarily who you love) is what defines humanity.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: EnnisTwist on Oct 14, 2006, 05:48 PM
Ennis did blame it all on Jack when he said that Jack's why he's like that.. So if Ennis was gay that wouldn't make much sense. Even if Ennis could somehow stop loving Jack he would still be into guys so he couldn't be able to blame Jack..
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Oct 15, 2006, 07:55 AM
DEpends what he means by "like this". He's talking about his financial, social, emotional situation as much as the sexual ambiguities, i think. He follows it with "I'm nothing, I'm nowhere" and this is related to his desperation to cling to his current job, his inability to see Jack when he wants to, the fact that he's constatly given up jobs to be with Jack and is therefore badly off, to the fact that Jack with his financial advantages doesn't seem to understand Ennis's poverty or why and how it's come about.

I don't think Ennis is saying that Jack made him gay, so to speak, and I don;t think he ever thinks he is gay.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Oct 15, 2006, 03:19 PM
DEpends what he means by "like this". He's talking about his financial, social, emotional situation as much as the sexual ambiguities, i think. He follows it with "I'm nothing, I'm nowhere" and this is related to his desperation to cling to his current job, his inability to see Jack when he wants to, the fact that he's constatly given up jobs to be with Jack and is therefore badly off, to the fact that Jack with his financial advantages doesn't seem to understand Ennis's poverty or why and how it's come about.

I don't think Ennis is saying that Jack made him gay, so to speak, and I don;t think he ever thinks he is gay.

I think that's what Ennis means by that, also.  Not about being queer, but about his nowhere situation.  However, he can't really blame Jack, because Jack offered him something else, a sweet life together.  It's playing by Ennis's rules that keeps Ennis in the situation he is in.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Oct 16, 2006, 07:34 AM
DEpends what he means by "like this". He's talking about his financial, social, emotional situation as much as the sexual ambiguities, i think. He follows it with "I'm nothing, I'm nowhere" and this is related to his desperation to cling to his current job, his inability to see Jack when he wants to, the fact that he's constatly given up jobs to be with Jack and is therefore badly off, to the fact that Jack with his financial advantages doesn't seem to understand Ennis's poverty or why and how it's come about.

I don't think Ennis is saying that Jack made him gay, so to speak, and I don;t think he ever thinks he is gay.

I think that's what Ennis means by that, also.  Not about being queer, but about his nowhere situation.  However, he can't really blame Jack, because Jack offered him something else, a sweet life together.  It's playing by Ennis's rules that keeps Ennis in the situation he is in.

kathy

I agree.  But I should also like to stress that I think Ennis himself knew that the main conflict was in himself, and was not something created by Jack.  Jack's presence in his life forced Ennis to confront his innermost feelings, and the confrontation caused him a great deal of anguish.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Oct 16, 2006, 08:45 PM
DEpends what he means by "like this". He's talking about his financial, social, emotional situation as much as the sexual ambiguities, i think. He follows it with "I'm nothing, I'm nowhere" and this is related to his desperation to cling to his current job, his inability to see Jack when he wants to, the fact that he's constatly given up jobs to be with Jack and is therefore badly off, to the fact that Jack with his financial advantages doesn't seem to understand Ennis's poverty or why and how it's come about.

I don't think Ennis is saying that Jack made him gay, so to speak, and I don;t think he ever thinks he is gay.

I think that's what Ennis means by that, also.  Not about being queer, but about his nowhere situation.  However, he can't really blame Jack, because Jack offered him something else, a sweet life together.  It's playing by Ennis's rules that keeps Ennis in the situation he is in.

kathy

I agree.  But I should also like to stress that I think Ennis himself knew that the main conflict was in himself, and was not something created by Jack.  Jack's presence in his life forced Ennis to confront his innermost feelings, and the confrontation caused him a great deal of anguish.


Very true.  These dynamics, within each man and between them, had been going on all this time, but it was how it all blew up finally, when Jack couldn't take it anymore, that of course caused Ennis such pain.  And he had not only his own conflicts and pain to deal with, but now his knowledge, thrown in his face, of the pain he'd been causing Jack.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Oct 17, 2006, 07:32 AM
kathy, I do think you have made an important observation here: the relationship between Jack and Ennis was dynamic rather than static.  It is easy to think that their relationship did not change that much in the almost 20 years of knowing each other, until we call to mind the important shifts and movements in the interveneing years.  At the risk of generalization, I would say that Jack's view on his own sexuality was a journey of gradual acknowledgement and openess, whereas Ennis's traced an arc from caution to openess, and final introversion.  It can be argued that their sexual development traced similar paths.  But what is important to note that in his lonely end, Ennis did come to a realization of his true and deep love for Jack.  If this implied gayness, then so be it.  But if it meant something that went beyond a black and white question of gayness, then we should also be prepared to say that love, like life itself, is can be as dynamic as it can be constant.  Perhaps in the end, Ennis's love was more spiritual rather than physical, and we know that on a spiritual plane, distinctions on gender are secondary.



 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Oct 17, 2006, 04:54 PM
kathy, I do think you have made an important observation here: the relationship between Jack and Ennis was dynamic rather than static.  It is easy to think that their relationship did not change that much in the almost 20 years of knowing each other, until we call to mind the important shifts and movements in the interveneing years.  At the risk of generalization, I would say that Jack's view on his own sexuality was a journey of gradual acknowledgement and openess, whereas Ennis's traced an arc from caution to openess, and final introversion.  It can be argued that their sexual development traced similar paths.  But what is important to note that in his lonely end, Ennis did come to a realization of his true and deep love for Jack.  If this implied gayness, then so be it.  But if it meant something that went beyond a black and white question of gayness, then we should also be prepared to say that love, like life itself, is can be as dynamic as it can be constant.  Perhaps in the end, Ennis's love was more spiritual rather than physical, and we know that on a spiritual plane, distinctions on gender are secondary.


And maybe after Jack was gone, Ennis realized exactly that.  Both realizations, actually.  That Jack was a man and he, Ennis loved him, and so he must be queer.  And that the nature of love was that gender didn't matter.  I hope he didn't end up too tortured by his foolish past.  Tortured that he brought on all this pain on himself and for Jack when he could have let go a little and made both their lives a lot simpler.  I hope this isn't straying from your point too much.  I'm not a fan of post-Jack Ennis-finds-love fic (haven't read any but I know it's out there), but supposing that for the moment, maybe Ennis could now let go of his fears.  It was Jack he had fears for, not himself; and Jack's presence all these years never let the fears really go away, wouldn't let Ennis see that maybe the world was changing.  But with Jack removed, maybe he could be easier the next time...if there happens to be a next time...

Unless he's the old man in the bar that Annie P. was watching.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Oct 17, 2006, 05:16 PM


I do think in the end, Ennis did realize that gender and even death did not stop him from loving Jack.  In a sense, he did sort of transcend himself and his own fears, even though he realized that it was too late to bring that love to fulfillment.

As for love after Jack died, hard to say.  His unspoken "vow" in the end would seem to indicate that he will be faithful to Jack forever.  Death, sex, and gender no longer mattered.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jesseanne21 on Oct 17, 2006, 05:20 PM


I do think in the end, Ennis did realize that gender and even death did not stop him from loving Jack.  In a sense, he did sort of transcend himself and his own fears, even though he realized that it was too late to bring that love to fulfillment.

As for love after Jack died, hard to say.  His unspoken "vow" in the end would seem to indicate that he will be faithful to Jack forever.  Death, sex, and gender no longer mattered.

beautifully stated <^(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Patriot1 on Oct 18, 2006, 06:27 AM
Unless he's the old man in the bar that Annie P. was watching.

kathy


No, that can't be Ennis, Kathy, because that man is me. :)


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Oct 18, 2006, 11:12 AM
I can't help thinking there must be many people like the one Anni P said inspired the story, and not all of them gay. There is so much loneliness in the world.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Oct 18, 2006, 06:28 PM
Unless he's the old man in the bar that Annie P. was watching.

kathy


No, that can't be Ennis, Kathy, because that man is me. :)


LOL!

Well, then, I'm the old lady in the bar watching the old man who's watching the young men...

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Oct 18, 2006, 06:36 PM
I can't help thinking there must be many people like the one Anni P said inspired the story, and not all of them gay. There is so much loneliness in the world.

Oh, you're so right.  You just brought tears to my eyes.  If I may say...I quite often feel the despair of loneliness.  Not specifically for myself, although there is that, too...but for everyone, for everyone I know and everyone I don't know, anyone who is lonely.  Life is so tragic, I feel sometimes, a strong and overwhelming feeling.

Even things such as little children, full of joy and heedless to even the concept of "hope" because they don't know there is a need to hope for better (except those children that are starving, abused, etc.)...oh what in the world am I getting into here?  Trying to say, what joy there is in the world -- innocence, nature -- I still see tinged with tragedy.

However...you know what?  Truth is, I actually feel better this past year because of the cameraderie here.  Be it cyber-cameraderie, it is still real and fulfilling and I value all of y'all...

[post quick, don't read, don't edit, don't delete, too revealing]

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Patriot1 on Oct 18, 2006, 07:47 PM
Unless he's the old man in the bar that Annie P. was watching.

kathy


No, that can't be Ennis, Kathy, because that man is me. :)


LOL!

Well, then, I'm the old lady in the bar watching the old man who's watching the young men...

kathy


Oh! Hello Annie. Great story!   ;D


I would like to believe that once Ennis found the shirts and throught them realized that Jack was in love with him and he was in love with Jack and that he was, in fact, queer, that Ennis tried to find someone else to love. The thought of him being old and alone tears my heart out. Waiting for the day to come when someone will hold you and say they like you and need you in their life is a very painful existance. Too painful for our Ennis who needs to be loved.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: chameau on Oct 18, 2006, 08:37 PM
Quote
I would like to believe that once Ennis found the shirts and throught them realized that Jack was in love with him and he was in love with Jack and that he was, in fact, queer, that Ennis tried to find someone else to love. The thought of him being old and alone tears my heart out. Waiting for the day to come when someone will hold you and say they like you and need you in their life is a very painful existance. Too painful for our Ennis who needs to be loved.

 :\'(

That's very well said patriot1
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Oct 19, 2006, 08:42 AM
Everyone needs to be loved' it's finding the one who's The One that's the problem.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Patriot1 on Oct 19, 2006, 08:49 AM
Everyone needs to be loved' it's finding the one who's The One that's the problem.


Amen. But I'd settle for just being liked.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Oct 21, 2006, 02:41 PM


I do think in the end, Ennis did realize that gender and even death did not stop him from loving Jack.  In a sense, he did sort of transcend himself and his own fears, even though he realized that it was too late to bring that love to fulfillment.

As for love after Jack died, hard to say.  His unspoken "vow" in the end would seem to indicate that he will be faithful to Jack forever.  Death, sex, and gender no longer mattered.

My dear tpe,
I would put it the other way round: It all matters in the end. Remember the short story: There was still something akin to "sex" in Ennis's dreams sometimes. And death mattered too, because he cried in his sleep: I think the last lines of the short story go something like: "Sometimes the sheets were wet, sometimes the pillow". There you have it, in my opinion: It mattered to Ennis, but it mattered in a way he would never have dared acknowledge if Jack had still been alive. What I love about Annie Proulx is that she manages to transcend the everyday, humdrum lives of her characters, while still remaining very much "on the ground", so to speak. Sex matters, death matters, but there is also something beyond that...

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: greenfrog on Oct 22, 2006, 07:49 PM
Everyone needs to be loved' it's finding the one who's The One that's the problem.


Amen. But I'd settle for just being liked.


*Hugs*  :^^)

 %)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Patriot1 on Oct 23, 2006, 07:01 AM
Everyone needs to be loved' it's finding the one who's The One that's the problem.


Amen. But I'd settle for just being liked.


*Hugs*  :^^)

 %)

Thanks greenfrog. I sure needed those hugs just now.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: mikele on Oct 23, 2006, 07:22 AM
AS I've said before, i think in the end no matter how you see yourself, if you fall in lovei it's with an individual and at that moment it doesn't matter if the one you love is straight, gay, black, white or a Martian. Ennis loves Jack and its Jack's individuality, the Jackness of Jack if you like, that he loves.
Hello Welshwitch...yes I agree...beautiful post Welshwitch, When you fall in love it does'nt matter to know who is (he or she) really, but to become apparent to the other. But the most important is to love and to be loved  :)
But Ennis is gay I think, and more than straight..as soon as Jack appear in her life, he falls in love secretly but deeply  ::)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Oct 23, 2006, 07:24 AM
My dear tpe,
I would put it the other way round: It all matters in the end. Remember the short story: There was still something akin to "sex" in Ennis's dreams sometimes. And death mattered too, because he cried in his sleep: I think the last lines of the short story go something like: "Sometimes the sheets were wet, sometimes the pillow". There you have it, in my opinion: It mattered to Ennis, but it mattered in a way he would never have dared acknowledge if Jack had still been alive. What I love about Annie Proulx is that she manages to transcend the everyday, humdrum lives of her characters, while still remaining very much "on the ground", so to speak. Sex matters, death matters, but there is also something beyond that...

monicita

I certainly can't deny what you have said here, monicita.  The end of the short story does imply that sexual desire was still alive and well, even if only in the substance of dreams.  And the tears that stain the pillow do denote something not at all close to resignation in the face of death and lost love.

I do love the ending dream sequence, and it is because it is the stuff of dreams that makes me love it all the more.  I do admit that it reveals a very different Ennis behind the stoic exterior we have come to associate with him.

I based my observations on his withdrawal from the world.  Perhaps I have neglected to take into account the interior life.  Perhaps in that life, desire and death still hold sway.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Newt on Oct 31, 2006, 03:22 AM
As they say at Oxbridge, first define your terms. What do you mean by "gay"?

For my money, Jack is, or would be, Ennis isn't. But what do I know about it?

I'm going to say that Ennis was at least bisexual.  Even after Jack was physically absent from his life, he fantasized about him and "wrang it out" 100 times thinking about Jack.  Yes, we didn't see Ennis looking or thinking about other men, but Ennis was a much more faithful guy than Jack (okay, maybe not by Alma).  Also, maybe Ennis wouldn't allow himself to think about other men so he could convince himself he wasn't queer.  Just thinking out loud. 

I also see Ennis as a bisexual character.

I see brokeback mountain as a bisexual film and not a "gay" film.  Most people in America see sexuality in black and white binary terms (gay/het) when there are many shades of grey.

Anyway there are many different types of bisexuals:
you like men AND women sexually AND romantically
you like men sexually only; you like women sexually and romantically
you like women sexually only; you like men sexually and romantically

Also, film scholars, film critics/reviewers, and queer theorist scholars have written about how this is a bisexual film and that the character of Ennis is a bisexual man. Even wikipedia has this in the entry for the film and the character of Ennis.

Most often the film was referred to in the media as the "gay cowboy movie," however, a number of reviewers stated Jack and Ennis were bisexual. Sex researcher Fritz Klein also asserted his opinion that the movie was "a nice film with two main characters who were bisexual," and further analyzed that Jack is more "toward the gay side of bisexuality" and Ennis is "a bit more toward the straight side of being bisexual." In an article in American Sexuality Magazine, Amy Andre critiqued the media's avoidance of the use of the term bisexual in association with Brokeback Mountain:

"Brokeback Mountain is not a movie about gay people, and there are no gay people in it. There. I said it. Despite what you may have read in the many reviews that have come out about this new cowboy feature film, Brokeback Mountain is a bisexual picture. Why can't film reviewers say the word 'bisexual' when they see lead characters with sexual and romantic relationships with both men and women? I am unaware of a single review of Brokeback calling the leads what they are – a sad statement on the invisibility of bisexual experience and the level of biphobia in both the mainstream and gay media."-http://nsrc.sfsu.edu/MagArticle.cfm?Article=554

"The film is so discreet and heartfelt in its depiction of an affair between two bisexual cowboys that it may play, like "Philadelphia," to adult audiences regardless of ideological disposition."-http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_412553.html

Certainly, Lee's film has enjoyed both curiosity and novelty value in being known as the "gay cowboy movie." Never mind that its protagonists are actually bisexual sheep herders. The vernacular tagline proved so effective that you can still practically hear Universal Pictures' advertising department breathing a collective sigh of relief at not having to sell America on "that bi shepherds flick."-http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A27050

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Oct 31, 2006, 08:33 AM

I also see Ennis as a bisexual character.

I see brokeback mountain as a bisexual film and not a "gay" film.  Most people in America see sexuality in black and white binary terms (gay/het) when there are many shades of grey.

Anyway there are many different types of bisexuals:
you like men AND women sexually AND romantically
you like men sexually only; you like women sexually and romantically
you like women sexually only; you like men sexually and romantically

Also, film scholars, film critics/reviewers, and queer theorist scholars have written about how this is a bisexual film and that the character of Ennis is a bisexual man. Even wikipedia has this in the entry for the film and the character of Ennis.

Most often the film was referred to in the media as the "gay cowboy movie," however, a number of reviewers stated Jack and Ennis were bisexual. Sex researcher Fritz Klein also asserted his opinion that the movie was "a nice film with two main characters who were bisexual," and further analyzed that Jack is more "toward the gay side of bisexuality" and Ennis is "a bit more toward the straight side of being bisexual." In an article in American Sexuality Magazine, Amy Andre critiqued the media's avoidance of the use of the term bisexual in association with Brokeback Mountain:

"Brokeback Mountain is not a movie about gay people, and there are no gay people in it. There. I said it. Despite what you may have read in the many reviews that have come out about this new cowboy feature film, Brokeback Mountain is a bisexual picture. Why can't film reviewers say the word 'bisexual' when they see lead characters with sexual and romantic relationships with both men and women? I am unaware of a single review of Brokeback calling the leads what they are – a sad statement on the invisibility of bisexual experience and the level of biphobia in both the mainstream and gay media."-http://nsrc.sfsu.edu/MagArticle.cfm?Article=554

"The film is so discreet and heartfelt in its depiction of an affair between two bisexual cowboys that it may play, like "Philadelphia," to adult audiences regardless of ideological disposition."-http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_412553.html

Certainly, Lee's film has enjoyed both curiosity and novelty value in being known as the "gay cowboy movie." Never mind that its protagonists are actually bisexual sheep herders. The vernacular tagline proved so effective that you can still practically hear Universal Pictures' advertising department breathing a collective sigh of relief at not having to sell America on "that bi shepherds flick."-http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A27050



You answered here a question I posed to you on the other thread (Jack's love for Ennis).  Thank you.

One point I bring up is that in the period in which the film plays out (the1960s and 1970s), a lot of gay people did attempt to portray themselves as bisexual.  I speak here primarily from the experience of many older friends  -- some who were married and some even have remained married to this day.  Of particular interest in one older acquaintance who used to tell me that although he considered himself unequivocably gay, he continues to fulfill his conjugal duties with his wife (who happens to know about his true preferences).

I guess my point here is that it is very difficult to pin down people according to their professed or exhibited behaviors.  As much as it is difficult to say without a doubt that Ennis and Jack were both gay, it is as equally difficult to say that they were definitely bisexual.   But I can accept a personal view on their sexuality.  In the end, I guess it just boils to that. 

As you have said in another post: it all boils down to desire and attraction.  I do think that this is true. 

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Nov 03, 2006, 12:12 AM
...
Most often the film was referred to in the media as the "gay cowboy movie," however, a number of reviewers stated Jack and Ennis were bisexual. Sex researcher Fritz Klein also asserted his opinion that the movie was "a nice film with two main characters who were bisexual," and further analyzed that Jack is more "toward the gay side of bisexuality" and Ennis is "a bit more toward the straight side of being bisexual." In an article in American Sexuality Magazine, Amy Andre critiqued the media's avoidance of the use of the term bisexual in association with Brokeback Mountain:

"Brokeback Mountain is not a movie about gay people, and there are no gay people in it. There. I said it. Despite what you may have read in the many reviews that have come out about this new cowboy feature film, Brokeback Mountain is a bisexual picture. Why can't film reviewers say the word 'bisexual' when they see lead characters with sexual and romantic relationships with both men and women? I am unaware of a single review of Brokeback calling the leads what they are – a sad statement on the invisibility of bisexual experience and the level of biphobia in both the mainstream and gay media."-http://nsrc.sfsu.edu/MagArticle.cfm?Article=554

"The film is so discreet and heartfelt in its depiction of an affair between two bisexual cowboys that it may play, like "Philadelphia," to adult audiences regardless of ideological disposition."-http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_412553.html

Certainly, Lee's film has enjoyed both curiosity and novelty value in being known as the "gay cowboy movie." Never mind that its protagonists are actually bisexual sheep herders. The vernacular tagline proved so effective that you can still practically hear Universal Pictures' advertising department breathing a collective sigh of relief at not having to sell America on "that bi shepherds flick."-http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A27050

Quite interesting to me, this article, as a lesbian-leaning-bisexual.  That they simplified it by calling them gay cowboys instead of bisexual sheepherders.  Funny actually.  But not funny when taken seriously.  But then, it's as complicated as everything else.  Some men are definitely gay even though they might be called bisexual because they have been sexually with women.  Being able to have sex with the opposite sex doesn't make you straight, and if in your heart you're really gay, then you're gay, not bisexual. ??  A subject we've hashed over a lot in other threads.  But I do find "biphobia" interesting.  Some people want either/or answers.  Some people don't care to say things are one way or the other.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 03, 2006, 07:50 AM

kathy, that is true: it doesn't have to be either/or.  Life is not as simple as that, no?  You love those you choose to love, and that's pretty much it as far as the basics are concerned. 

In the final analysis, it's you who knows who you really are.  True, a person can lie outwardly to himself/herself.  It does not matter.  Only the heart knows.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Patriot1 on Nov 03, 2006, 11:45 AM
Some people don't care to say things are one way or the other.

kathy

Not me Kathy. I am a man loving fag through and through.  Only once in my 60 years did I ever think of sex with a woman and after I through up I decided that wasn't for me and never gave it another thought.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Nov 15, 2006, 06:38 AM
I have come to believe that there are different sides to human sexuality. Some are content to privatly hold thoughts of their fantasies while others choose to act them out. I;m erally not sure about Ennis's true sexual ID but The reunion scenes gave good indicaters that Ennis long ed for and wanted a man. Alma did'nt seem to matter anymoe at all . A man whom he came to realize he had fallen in l love with. When I watch him sitting by the window in anticipation of Jack's arrival The most beautiful woman in the world could have walked in and it would'nt have phased Ennis . He wanted J ack Twist , another man and a very masculine one  at that. Then  Ennis goes on to say "aint no reins on this one" suggesting to me that Ennis was gay. But for only Jack.  I agree that just because a man sleeps with or can have sex with a woman does'nt necessarily make him straight. And that goes both ways. ( no pun intended)  Let's put it this way , say in another universe how many straight women would turn down Jack or Ennis on some cold dark lonely night if the oportunity presented itself. Would it matter if they were gay? Something to think about.huh?.......Not that I would,,,,,well ....cough. Hmmmmm
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 15, 2006, 08:17 AM


Yes, it does go both ways.  I do believe that some people explore their sexuality for a time (usually when young) before hardening to a particular orientation.  Sometimes, it is a matter of social circumstances, like being in an all-boys school or being barred from the presence of women.  I do think human curiosity is one thing and sexual orientation is another.

AS for Ennis, he is a bit more difficut to figure out.  I don't think it was a question of experimentation; rather, it was more like repression.  But who knows?  Perhaps it was more the individual rather than the gender.  Gyllenhaal's take on this ("straight" men falling for each other) may not seem too preposterous...  Perhaps this was the secret of why both of them acted out their roles so well.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Nov 15, 2006, 04:12 PM
Men behind bars have been known to engage in sexual encounters with each other, but how many could you get to admit  they are gay.? Not many. And how many continue to do so after release? I know there have  been studies done on this but I don't know the results of them.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stephan on Nov 15, 2006, 04:23 PM
Greetings, aintfoolin.  :c)
Thank you for your interesting thoughts.
I wanted to add that I have some difficulty with the idea of "exploring" one's sexual orientation, as tpe posted just recently ; that is only because in my personal experience, I have never encountered anyone who could distance him/herself from his/her sexual orientation. Practically every male homosexual I have ever known has been confronted with his homosexuality as by something he wanted to fight against but could never win. There was no choice in the matter. Some could get married to a woman and have children, but they were living in utter misery and concealing it every day.
Getting back to Ennis, he loved only Jack ; he didn't want other men. I just call it Eternal Love  :-[
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Nov 15, 2006, 05:10 PM
I realize this, but I'm saying it's a matter of individuality. What matters is ones true feelings about who they are . Some experiment and some don't. If your truly gay I believe you know it beyond a shadow of a doubt. But there are people who just experiment with homosexuality for different reasons.It goes back to what I stated before about Human sexuality and my beleif that there is not just one side to it. Some explore , some don't. It's a choice in that sense.Am I making sense?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Nov 15, 2006, 05:42 PM
While Ennis participated in an homosexual act with Jack ( many times), we have no indication that he ever did so with any other man, or even remotely desired any other man.  Did Ennis think of himself as gay?   I think not.  He even refused to admit to himself  or to Jack that he loved Jack.  I don't think he realized he really did love him until Jack was dead.  Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that Ennis was not gay, in his mind, and that's all that's really important.  If you want to say everyone who has willingly engaged in gay activities is gay, then he is gay.  If, however, your definition of gay is a bit more compressed, perhaps he wasn't.

Personally, I don't think he was gay.  He was in a situation, a time, a place, and with Jack, who was gay, and things happened.  He liked Jack, his friend, and eventually even loved him - in everyway possible.  I don't think sex was nearly as important to Ennis as it was to Jack; consequently, Ennis never had to make too many choices in sex partner.  When he was married, it was Alma --- and Jack.  After the divorce, it was ---- Jack.  (Cassie came into the equation, but never seriously -- it was just Jack.)   He was constant with the one he really lovved ---- Jack.  So, whether he was hetero or homo fades in importance to me.  He was Jack's.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 15, 2006, 06:09 PM
Men behind bars have been known to engage in sexual encounters with each other, but how many could you get to admit  they are gay.? Not many. And how many continue to do so after release? I know there have  been studies done on this but I don't know the results of them.

That's because perhaps a lot of them are NOT gay.  When faced with repression, nature finds an outlet for expression and gratification -- in both love and sex.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 15, 2006, 06:12 PM
Greetings, aintfoolin.  :c)
Thank you for your interesting thoughts.
I wanted to add that I have some difficulty with the idea of "exploring" one's sexual orientation, as tpe posted just recently ; that is only because in my personal experience, I have never encountered anyone who could distance him/herself from his/her sexual orientation. Practically every male homosexual I have ever known has been confronted with his homosexuality as by something he wanted to fight against but could never win. There was no choice in the matter. Some could get married to a woman and have children, but they were living in utter misery and concealing it every day.
Getting back to Ennis, he loved only Jack ; he didn't want other men. I just call it Eternal Love  :-[

I can speak for myself in this one:  indeed, I never though I had a choice.  God knows I tried when I was beginning to have an understanding of sexuality.

Ennis is indeed the faithful lover -- faithful forever.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 15, 2006, 06:18 PM
While Ennis participated in an homosexual act with Jack ( many times), we have no indication that he ever did so with any other man, or even remotely desired any other man.  Did Ennis think of himself as gay?   I think not.  He even refused to admit to himself  or to Jack that he loved Jack.  I don't think he realized he really did love him until Jack was dead.  Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that Ennis was not gay, in his mind, and that's all that's really important.  If you want to say everyone who has willingly engaged in gay activities is gay, then he is gay.  If, however, your definition of gay is a bit more compressed, perhaps he wasn't.

Personally, I don't think he was gay.  He was in a situation, a time, a place, and with Jack, who was gay, and things happened.  He liked Jack, his friend, and eventually even loved him - in everyway possible.  I don't think sex was nearly as important to Ennis as it was to Jack; consequently, Ennis never had to make too many choices in sex partner.  When he was married, it was Alma --- and Jack.  After the divorce, it was ---- Jack.  (Cassie came into the equation, but never seriously -- it was just Jack.)   He was constant with the one he really lovved ---- Jack.  So, whether he was hetero or homo fades in importance to me.  He was Jack's.

Ennis is such an enigma.  Even up to now, I can't make my mind about him...  But I do know that he loved Jack -- most deeply.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Nov 15, 2006, 07:26 PM
Ennis is such an enigma.  Even up to now, I can't make my mind about him...  But I do know that he loved Jack -- most deeply.

I think maybe we are clear about Ennis, though he is someone with depth and complexity...but what we can't do is fit him into some definition of gay.  If we say that each person has their own unique sexuality, then he is just...Ennis.  I think all the things said about him here are valid...and he is indeed an enigma.

There just aren't only two or three ways to be...though I like trying to talk through it nonetheless.

I happen to like the "two straight men fall in love" story, though, just because then they are each other's firsts.  Maybe these kinds of men found themselves going along with the "acceptable" way...until they met the right man.  Although, as you men here know, there are others of you who knew from early on there was no question where your inclinations lay.

(This was endlessly discussed about Kirk and Spock, too, in K/S.  Kirk obviously was seemingly very straight, but he falls in love with Spock; and we can surmise different things about Spock.  The end result of these discussions, after 40 years, is that it doesn't matter -- each person can think of it however she wants it, as long as the men aren't too out of character.)

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 16, 2006, 08:37 AM
I do agree.  Talking through this is probably more important than establishing a definitive sexual identity for Ennis.  I think neither the short story nor the movie made things deliberately clear.  That's part and parcel of the power of the Ennis character.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Nov 17, 2006, 04:33 PM
Then this opens up the complex question of : Are gays born gay?/Or can a person "turn" gay as many of my freinds and relatives believe. Ennis is indeed a complicated  piece of work in a sense that he is hard to figure. To understand  where he stands as far as his sexuality goes. My feeling is that his feelings were repressed deep inside. I don't think he expected to fall in love with Jack but by the time SNIT happened, he was pretty sure that he had had feelins that he could'nt control.The scene where he's sick and crying , punching the wall in frustration at the inability to come to terms or express to Jack what he really wanted I think he knew good and well that it was wrong to let Jack go.By the time of the reunion after four long years I feel that he had come to the full realization that this is what he really wanted.that his feelins for Alma paled in comparison to those he had for Jack though I think he went through a very complex struggle to get to that point. Finally he confesses that " there  aint no reins on this one" saying that he could'nt help himself if he tried. He was hooked.Maybe some of the gay guys on the thread could shed some light on this?  Thanks.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 17, 2006, 04:39 PM
It's a hard question to answer.  I do believe that some people are born gay/bisexual.  And I do think it is genetic: it runs like a thread in my family.

As to the exact nature of Ennis's sexuality, it would seem to be something inherent within him, as nothing in his life seemed to have influenced him to go along this path  -- except perhaps for the person of Jack himself. 

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Nov 17, 2006, 05:27 PM
Jack on the other hand is a different story. If by chance ( BIG IF..) I could've asked Jack if he was born gay I'm inclined to believe he would say yes. I think he probably knew from childhood that he was. Or he'd state that he has felt this way ever sense he could remember, as  gay friends I've met through the years have stated. But some people also  believe after watching the film that Jack "turned" Ennis gay. This is a mistake in thinking I believe. Ignorance?I tend to believe the tag line that Love is a force of nature. When ya know, ya know. I think I heard Ang Lee state once that "To themselves and to the SUPRISE of the audience, they fell in love" I believe it was a suprise to them too.  A nice one.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 17, 2006, 06:50 PM
Jack on the other hand is a different story. If by chance ( BIG IF..) I could've asked Jack if he was born gay I'm inclined to believe he would say yes. I think he probably knew from childhood that he was. Or he'd state that he has felt this way ever sense he could remember, as  gay friends I've met through the years have stated. But some people also  believe after watching the film that Jack "turned" Ennis gay. This is a mistake in thinking I believe. Ignorance?I tend to believe the tag line that Love is a force of nature. When ya know, ya know. I think I heard Ang Lee state once that "To themselves and to the SUPRISE of the audience, they fell in love" I believe it was a suprise to them too.  A nice one.

Love is a 2-way street.  You can't make headway without the cooperation of the other.  If they say that Jack made Ennis gay, then I would say that Ennis let him.  There is a lot to be said about that. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Nov 17, 2006, 07:53 PM
Then this opens up the complex question of : Are gays born gay?/Or can a person "turn" gay as many of my freinds and relatives believe. Ennis is indeed a complicated  piece of work in a sense that he is hard to figure. To understand  where he stands as far as his sexuality goes. My feeling is that his feelings were repressed deep inside. I don't think he expected to fall in love with Jack but by the time SNIT happened, he was pretty sure that he had had feelins that he could'nt control.The scene where he's sick and crying , punching the wall in frustration at the inability to come to terms or express to Jack what he really wanted I think he knew good and well that it was wrong to let Jack go.By the time of the reunion after four long years I feel that he had come to the full realization that this is what he really wanted.that his feelins for Alma paled in comparison to those he had for Jack though I think he went through a very complex struggle to get to that point. Finally he confesses that " there  aint no reins on this one" saying that he could'nt help himself if he tried. He was hooked.Maybe some of the gay guys on the thread could shed some light on this?  Thanks.

Articulate and beautiful picture of our Ennis, aintfoolin.  These things would certainly indicate that he had very deep inclinations toward being, if not with "men," with this man anyway.  Otherwise, he might have gone back and found himself able to be happy enough -- maybe even perfectly happy -- with Alma, and remembered Jack as some idyllic foolishness of youth.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Nov 18, 2006, 01:00 AM
Love is a 2-way street.  You can't make headway without the cooperation of the other.  If they say that Jack made Ennis gay, then I would say that Ennis let him.  There is a lot to be said about that. 

Yes, to Ennis letting Jack turn him in a direction he didn't find it difficult to go.  Ennis was willing -- the "higher" parts of him were able to love Jack; it was the baser instincts -- his fears -- that kept him from believing he could allow himself to have this love.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: dirtbiker on Nov 18, 2006, 01:25 AM
Hmmm... Interesting question.  I do believe that there are people who are exclusively turned on by their own gender and then there are those who are turned on by the opposite gender.  Of course, you then have those who lie somewhere in between to varying degrees.  I think both Ennis & Jack are somewhere in between.  You have to have some physical attraction to the opposite sex to be able to have sex with them, regardless of how young or horny you are.  Of course societal pressures tend to tweak these tendencies, and if Ennis & Jack were born in an era of permissiveness, they may very well have tended more towards the gay side of the scale.  It defies logic to think that being gay is strictly a choice as religious zealots and conservatives allege.  It's obvious to me that they sorely lack the ability to empathize - they are unable to think logically and put themselves in the position of choosing a "lifestyle" fraught with societal scorn and heartache; to see that no one in their right minds would choose that option...   ^*()
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Nov 18, 2006, 10:00 PM
You're so right, DB.  Like we'd choose to be what so much of society deems the lowest of the low and to be discriminated against at every turn and not allowed to just have a plain average life like everyone else has, home and family if that's what we want.  Jeez.

Ennis and Jack certainly were products of their times, and we can only surmise how their lives might have been in a different time period.  You know what, if it was way earlier (besides way later, such as now -- which still isn't okay as far as that goes)...if it was earlier, it would have been okay for them, because people weren't so in each other's faces then -- they could live out in nowhere as plenty of people did and not be thought weird of -- two men with a place together?  No problem.

I remember when I very first heard of this movie that was coming out and told a friend about it, I couldn't exactly remember the time period (I'd just read one quick article) and I said it was 1906 or something.  They could have done what they wanted then, as long as they didn't smooch in public or whatever.  At least in Wyoming they could have.

There were just so many times, and are so many cultures, where it was and is totally known by everyone what might be going on between men, and between women, but they just didn't or don't talk about it.  Any more than they talked about sex between men and women.  What you did sexually wasn't on the top of the topic list.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Nov 19, 2006, 11:02 AM
If Jack could,ve pried Ennis out of Riverton Wy, and moved to a bigger city( Maybe Dallas or Houston,?Would they have had a beeter chance? )  There  had to be more gay communities in those cities even in the 60's. Other than being close to his girls, there was no reason for Ennis to stay in Riverton. He could've come back to see them anytime he wanted.Or they could've visited him in Texas. There's  plenty of ranches in Texas where he could find work. Not saying that everything would have been rosy there either but the paranoia in Riverton?.....Christ Ennis, there another world out there for goodness  sake. Get to know it. Even Mexico huh?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 20, 2006, 08:42 AM
Hmmm... Interesting question.  I do believe that there are people who are exclusively turned on by their own gender and then there are those who are turned on by the opposite gender.  Of course, you then have those who lie somewhere in between to varying degrees.  I think both Ennis & Jack are somewhere in between.  You have to have some physical attraction to the opposite sex to be able to have sex with them, regardless of how young or horny you are.  Of course societal pressures tend to tweak these tendencies, and if Ennis & Jack were born in an era of permissiveness, they may very well have tended more towards the gay side of the scale.  It defies logic to think that being gay is strictly a choice as religious zealots and conservatives allege.  It's obvious to me that they sorely lack the ability to empathize - they are unable to think logically and put themselves in the position of choosing a "lifestyle" fraught with societal scorn and heartache; to see that no one in their right minds would choose that option...   ^*()

For Ennis, it certainly didn't look like a choice, no?  It was clearly a struggle.  If he had a choice in the beginning, I suspect it would have been to be like "everybody" else".

Well said, dirtbiker.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Nov 20, 2006, 02:57 PM
Well then I suppose Ennis is  in a category of his own seeing that he was able to be with Alma and Cassie? But yet there"s Jack whom he  feels the most attracted to. And Jack stating that he " liked the direction Lureen was going" in the back seat of that caddy. Does this mean that Jack also enjoyed sex with women ?. Dirtbiker said that one has to be physically attracted to the oppisite sex to have sex with them right?  Even went on to marry them although they were miserable in their marriages but they did have a sexual relationship within them. Ennis's famous" flip-over" of Alma in bed tells me that Jack was on his mind at the time. What's going on here?Now I'm confused a bit.
True Dirtbiker, my relatives thinking does defy logic and I chuck it up to ignorance of the facts because when someone tells me that they've felt this way since they were little or ever since they could remember, I tend to beleive them. There's no question in my mind.
I have one other question I'd like to put out there and it concerns the fact that many say that Ennis was ONLY attracted to Jack. Was it possible that Ennis could have at least found other men attactive? Not necessarily intending to act on on any of it of course but at least LOOKED.  I know there's no evidence  in the movie to sustain this but in my mind only, he had to compare...... (a roving eye?) as Jack certainly did. We all do at some point when we see a strikingly attractive person right?  I mean he was human. I know I'm probably opening up a can of worms here.  He's such a complex character whom I enjoy dissecting  Ledger gave heart to this tortured soul. Excellent.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 21, 2006, 08:49 AM
Personally, I don't believe that one has to be physically attracted to the oppisite sex to have sex with them.  I know that many give in to family and social pressures to marry and have children -- and that sex in this context was a necessary "evil".  THis is true most especially in old Asian cultures, where the need to have heirs is imperative.  I certainly know of a number of my friends who started out married and admitted that they were able to perform for years without being physically attracted to their partners.

As to the second question, I do agree that it is hard to say withn certainly that Ennis was only attracted to Jack.  The story does not tell us of anybody else, but that does not mean that this omission proves the said proposition.  The most we can say is that throughout Jack's life (and most likely beyond), Ennis remained faithful to Jack -- insofar as relationships with other men were concerned.  Faithfulness does not rule out desire, as all of us know.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Nov 21, 2006, 02:44 PM
...
I have one other question I'd like to put out there and it concerns the fact that many say that Ennis was ONLY attracted to Jack. Was it possible that Ennis could have at least found other men attactive? Not necessarily intending to act on on any of it of course but at least LOOKED.  I know there's no evidence  in the movie to sustain this but in my mind only, he had to compare...... (a roving eye?) as Jack certainly did. We all do at some point when we see a strikingly attractive person right?  I mean he was human. I know I'm probably opening up a can of worms here.  He's such a complex character whom I enjoy dissecting  Ledger gave heart to this tortured soul. Excellent.


I had not thought of this in connection with Ennis, about him checking out other guys -- just curiously wondering about them, wondering if this is someone who he could (theoretically -- or whatever word Ennis would use) be with.  I have this little bit of personal experience to offer.  When I first fell in love with a woman, it opened up a whole new world to me, and all of a sudden I was seeing all women as potential lovers -- theoretically of course :)  We were in a five-year relationship, Sue and I, but there was a whole lot of flirting and buzzing sexual energies going on amongst all the lesbians -- and straight women friends of lesbians -- in Berkeley at the time (70's).  It was such a new thrilling thing, to be with women, that it sparked and colored how I saw a whole half of the people I hadn't really considered before.  It of course also complicated things.  Straight" people have it nice when everything's all clearly defined:  for women, men are generally who you have sexual relationships with, and women are your most trusted of friends.  You put sexual tension in where you used to be just all-out anything goes change-clothes together friends, and...it complicates things.  I'll stop there because I could go on and on.

So, back to Ennis, he may have just had those blinders on so tight that he never even allowed himself to consider that there might be other men who he could be close to in the same way as Jack.  Or he could have looked and wondered.  I do agree, aintfoolin, that there seems no evidence in the movie of him observing any other men in other than his usual ways.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Nov 21, 2006, 02:49 PM
Personally, I don't believe that one has to be physically attracted to the oppisite sex to have sex with them.  I know that many give in to family and social pressures to marry and have children -- and that sex in this context was a necessary "evil".  THis is true most especially in old Asian cultures, where the need to have heirs is imperative.  I certainly know of a number of my friends who started out married and admitted that they were able to perform for years without being physically attracted to their partners.

As to the second question, I do agree that it is hard to say withn certainly that Ennis was only attracted to Jack.  The story does not tell us of anybody else, but that does not mean that this omission proves the said proposition.  The most we can say is that throughout Jack's life (and most likely beyond), Ennis remained faithful to Jack -- insofar as relationships with other men were concerned.  Faithfulness does not rule out desire, as all of us know.

So right, Thomas.  This is probably, throughout history and in all cultures, as often the case as it is not the case, that people married and had sex to carry on the line, while their "preferences" lay elsewhere.  And were acted upon, too -- just not openly.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 21, 2006, 06:51 PM
So right, Thomas.  This is probably, throughout history and in all cultures, as often the case as it is not the case, that people married and had sex to carry on the line, while their "preferences" lay elsewhere.  And were acted upon, too -- just not openly.

kathy

And this is certainly very true of Heterosexual married couples, as you probably meant to say in the above statement...

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Audrey twist on Nov 28, 2006, 04:42 AM
I don't think so. :f)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Nov 28, 2006, 01:38 PM
Greetings, aintfoolin.  :c)
Thank you for your interesting thoughts.
I wanted to add that I have some difficulty with the idea of "exploring" one's sexual orientation, as tpe posted just recently ; that is only because in my personal experience, I have never encountered anyone who could distance him/herself from his/her sexual orientation. Practically every male homosexual I have ever known has been confronted with his homosexuality as by something he wanted to fight against but could never win. There was no choice in the matter. Some could get married to a woman and have children, but they were living in utter misery and concealing it every day.
Getting back to Ennis, he loved only Jack ; he didn't want other men. I just call it Eternal Love  :-[

Hi Stephan,

I have actually met a few people who could and did "distance themselves" from their sexual orientation, as you put it. Especially women, who relatively late in life make a choice to become lesbians, because they can't stand men any more, because they decide that they want a life only with women. For most of them, it isn't so much about sex, but much more about the whole "male" thing. Some of them don't even have a lot of sex with women: they just opt for this totally different life. And then there are people like me: I have always been totally entranced by gay sex. I've always wanted to be a gay man (since I was about 12 or 13, when the concept began to dawn on me). So what exactly is sexual orientation for somebody like me? In the end, I like your last line best: Eternal Love doesn't ask for sexual orientation, does it?

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 29, 2006, 10:08 AM
Hi Stephan,

I have actually met a few people who could and did "distance themselves" from their sexual orientation, as you put it. Especially women, who relatively late in life make a choice to become lesbians, because they can't stand men any more, because they decide that they want a life only with women. For most of them, it isn't so much about sex, but much more about the whole "male" thing. Some of them don't even have a lot of sex with women: they just opt for this totally different life. And then there are people like me: I have always been totally entranced by gay sex. I've always wanted to be a gay man (since I was about 12 or 13, when the concept began to dawn on me). So what exactly is sexual orientation for somebody like me? In the end, I like your last line best: Eternal Love doesn't ask for sexual orientation, does it?

monicita

Very interesting things you say here, monicita.  I have no doubt that "orientation" is simply an approximate for the complexities of human sexuality.  For many, it may appear clearcut -- given each person's limited view of things.  But taken as a whole, one will have to intentionally close one's eyes in order not to see the richness of human experience in this aspect.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Nov 29, 2006, 03:44 PM
To answer this you have to have a generally accepted definition of "gay". Dictionaries notwithstanding, I'm not sure this truly exists. Ennis sure didn't think he was "gay", but he knew what he liked and what pushed his buttons, from the SS:

"Sure as hell seem in one piece to me. You know, I was sittin' up here all that time tryin to figure out if I was_? I know I ain't. I mean, here we both got wives and kids, right? I like doin' it with women, yeah, but Jesus H., ain't nothin like this. I never had no thoughts a doin' it with another guy except I sure wrang it out a hunderd times thinkin' about you. You do it with other guys, Jack?"

He wasn't afraid to tell Jack that his fantasies were not only him, but sex with him. I think this shows a lot of self realization and, for Ennis especially, confidence about his sexual desire (in order to share this with Jack). Note I said desire not desires, it seems pretty specific to Jack, period.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Nov 29, 2006, 04:35 PM
This says to me that even though they both had a wife and kids , he still remained unfulfilled  without Jack. It was a another man, Jack, who turned him on sexually. I go back and forth on this question because Ennis seems to be in category all his own.I'm fascinated yet baffled by it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Nov 30, 2006, 11:19 AM
The quote from the short story hightens more the confusion.  Note that Ennis said:

"I know I ain't. I mean, here we both got wives and kids, right?"

This shows Ennis's own confusion about his own identity.  He qualifies his denial by citing their wives and kids. To him, sexual desire for women would be sufficient to define him as not gay.  Of course, this we know is rather naive, especially in today's more complex sexual dynamic.

The second part of the quote is more revealing in that Ennis used the past tense:

"I never had no thoughts a doin' it with another guy except I sure wrang it out a hunderd times thinkin' about you. You do it with other guys, Jack?"

Jack was, of course, Ennis's first.  In no way does this exclude the possibility of Ennis falling for another man in the future. The question he asks Jack in the end is an admission that the thought of "doing it" with other men did occur to him as a distinct possibility  -- although he clearly has no such desire at the present time.

Finally, it should be noted that Ennis did remain faithful to Jack in the time they were together -- i.e., he did not consort with other men.  As I had said previously, faithfulness does not prove the absence of desire.

It is the complexity of Ennis's sexual identity that is one of the crowning glories of this story.  However we choose to view it, we are all in agreement that it makes us go back to our own identity and look deeper into what makes us what we are.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Nov 30, 2006, 01:43 PM

It is the complexity of Ennis's sexual identity that is one of the crowning glories of this story.  However we choose to view it, we are all in agreement that it makes us go back to our own identity and look deeper into what makes us what we are.



Very much agreed. I think it's the mark of a great story and storyteller that they are able to instill a myriad of potential possibilities into a very vivid story so that the listeners (or watchers) can see what they want and make the story very real to each. They're all "right" and all see a story that is true to their own heart. IMHO this is what makes the BBM saga so remakable, not only did the SS do this but also the movie to an almost perfect degree. It could have been screwed up (lessened) so easily but fate did not allow it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Dec 01, 2006, 12:44 AM
...
It is the complexity of Ennis's sexual identity that is one of the crowning glories of this story.  However we choose to view it, we are all in agreement that it makes us go back to our own identity and look deeper into what makes us what we are.


Beautiful, tpe.  Ennis, and Jack, too, were complex characters -- what makes this such a deep experience for all of us.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Dec 01, 2006, 12:46 AM
Very much agreed. I think it's the mark of a great story and storyteller that they are able to instill a myriad of potential possibilities into a very vivid story so that the listeners (or watchers) can see what they want and make the story very real to each. They're all "right" and all see a story that is true to their own heart. IMHO this is what makes the BBM saga so remakable, not only did the SS do this but also the movie to an almost perfect degree. It could have been screwed up (lessened) so easily but fate did not allow it.

Ah, yes, Jackster.  The story and film the best of the arts, that we get to see from our own eyes and hearts.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 01, 2006, 09:54 AM
Very much agreed. I think it's the mark of a great story and storyteller that they are able to instill a myriad of potential possibilities into a very vivid story so that the listeners (or watchers) can see what they want and make the story very real to each. They're all "right" and all see a story that is true to their own heart. IMHO this is what makes the BBM saga so remakable, not only did the SS do this but also the movie to an almost perfect degree. It could have been screwed up (lessened) so easily but fate did not allow it.

Wonderfully and very movingly said.  I have said before that BBM is like a great mirror.  What can be seen depends on who looks into its depths.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Dec 01, 2006, 12:07 PM
Isn't that one of the marks of a great classic, that it's there yet somehow transparent, subsuming you and letting you merge with it. Coleridge said, "I am Hamlet," and that's how closely you can identify with a classic character. We identify with Jack and Ennis because we have a part of their characters within us.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Dec 01, 2006, 12:10 PM
Than I remembered the players in "Hamlet" and Hamlet's definition of acting - "To hold, as 'twere, the  mirror up to nature" - that's what great literature does and page-turners don't.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 01, 2006, 04:32 PM
Isn't that one of the marks of a great classic, that it's there yet somehow transparent, subsuming you and letting you merge with it. Coleridge said, "I am Hamlet," and that's how closely you can identify with a classic character. We identify with Jack and Ennis because we have a part of their characters within us.

It is so easy to feel for Ennis, and yet we cannot even understand his sexuality.  I guess it didn't matter.  As you said, there is something universal in him that touches us all.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 01, 2006, 07:40 PM
Yes we are all vulnreale to life's imperfections, I have concluded that Ennis's sexuality WAS Jack, and no one else. Jack's love defined him.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stephan on Dec 02, 2006, 03:18 PM
Hi Stephan,
I have actually met a few people who could and did "distance themselves" from their sexual orientation, as you put it. Especially women, who relatively late in life make a choice to become lesbians, because they can't stand men any more, because they decide that they want a life only with women. For most of them, it isn't so much about sex, but much more about the whole "male" thing. Some of them don't even have a lot of sex with women: they just opt for this totally different life. And then there are people like me: I have always been totally entranced by gay sex. I've always wanted to be a gay man (since I was about 12 or 13, when the concept began to dawn on me). So what exactly is sexual orientation for somebody like me? In the end, I like your last line best: Eternal Love doesn't ask for sexual orientation, does it?
monicita

I really thank you for this input, monicita. I simply had no idea ! (Another one of those "male" things ?) Although there are times when I feel like giving up on all other men  ::) those times have never lasted more than 24 hours  ^*()
Yes, the question "what is sexual orientation ?" is a real one. While there are some people who can distance themselves from their sexuality, others don't seem to have that capacity - for example, so many people that demand legislation on adult sexual relationships. They seem to crave putting that very intimate part of life into the public domain for lawyers to tear apart.
Sorry, I'm  *o)

Thank heaven that love doesn't know what laws and lawyers have to do with whom you love  O0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 02, 2006, 08:18 PM
Those legislators are for the most part a bunch of closed minded individuals who define everyone by who they sleep with. IMO, they are often hypocrites in their own lives with no idea of what's  really going on in folk's every day lives. Their one size fits all just does'nt work. I still maintain that human sexuality has many branches, not just one . Those who have the capacity to distance themselves from their "true orientation" are doing so to find their comfort level about who they are and where they're at in their particular stage of life.Wether this is their" true sexual orientation"is still uncertain but at least  if they are content in whatever lifesyle they live, they should left alone to enjoy it. Your last line Stephan says it all. The law is the law but love knows no bounds.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 04, 2006, 10:16 AM
Some are dirven by the notion of sin -- in the idea that some forms of love are sinful. 

I am sure that this was part of Ennis's own internal guilt.  Even though he distanced himself from organized religion later in life, Ennis could not escape the notion of wrongdoing -- even in matters pertaining to the heart.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 04, 2006, 02:10 PM
I can relate,being raised in a strict religious home. The guilt that Ennis felt is very hard to overcome. Although I still maintain my beleifs on a modified level, The "fire and brimestone" crowd can do harm as well as good in my opinion. He needed to know that he would'nt "burn in hell" for loving Jack.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 05, 2006, 11:20 AM
I can relate,being raised in a strict religious home. The guilt that Ennis felt is very hard to overcome. Although I still maintain my beleifs on a modified level, The "fire and brimestone" crowd can do harm as well as good in my opinion. He needed to know that he would'nt "burn in hell" for loving Jack.

I am the same.  I was raised strict catholic -- old catholic, to be exact.   Yes, one lives with guilt on some level.  For someone like Ennis who grappled with this alone, it is indeed hard to overcome.  Jack was his only support, as well as the source of conflict. It must have been difficult for a person like him to even acknowlege his love in any tangible form.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Dec 08, 2006, 12:19 AM
I was not raised with any guilt about things like this...but there are still problems, which Ennis would have had, even if he didn't believe he was personally "sinful" for loving Jack.  In his heart of hearts, even in some quiet, deep spiritual moments, he could have felt that this love was so true and so deep, and Jack was such a good person, that it could not possibly be "wrong."  But the problem he couldn't escape is knowing how everyone else seemed to believe it is wrong.  And choosing to live a life that everyone else thinks is wrong -- who will knowingly go into that easily?

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 10, 2006, 04:44 AM
No one, especially somebody like Ennis who sorely lacks self confidence and self esteem within themselves. Being in love with Jack seemed to be the only thing Ennis was sure of. The only security he felt. Scared children make scared adults barrnig some intense therapy. This IMO was the reason Jack could'nt get Ennis to surrender completely as loving and patient ,and hopeful as he was. .Ingrained fear. It was out of Jack's control really. He could'nt "fix" Ennis, Ennis had to "fix" himself and "shit, that's hard" as Jack would say. He could only love him which he deeply did but Ennis's fear and guilt about his feelings was like a brick wall against Jack. In the scene where Jack was "thinking out loud" and suggesting Ennis find some place else to live besides Riverton.I thought it was a pretty good idea. cause Ennis was still paranoid there, thinking everyone knew about him and Jack when he walked down the streets and questioning Jack about if he felt it too. Totally frustrating after all that time!. A new setting would'nt have hurt.  It was'nt till the end when they were older that Jack finally forced Ennis to face his fears and take responsibility , (last meeting) that they had any chance of livin that "sweet life" in peace. I personally feel they would have..... had Jack lived.This is MHO.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stephan on Dec 11, 2006, 12:45 PM
(...)The law is the law but love knows no bounds.

You bet !

A new setting would'nt have hurt.  It was'nt till the end when they were older that Jack finally forced Ennis to face his fears and take responsibility , (last meeting) that they had any chance of livin that "sweet life" in peace. I personally feel they would have..... had Jack lived.This is MHO.

This is surely one of the most frustrating parts of their story. I agree with you, Ennis only felt happy and fulfilled when he was with Jack, and yet he couldn't tear himself away from his hometown, his every-day environment in which he could only feel like everyone was spying on him.
Why oh why do we do the things we do, and not do the things we long to do ??
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Dec 11, 2006, 02:00 PM
Ennis couldn't believe that he was meant ot be happy - in the same way that Lureen referes casually to the bluebirds and the whiskey, Ennis believes that the idea of being happy with Jack is for him a mirage, a deceptive vision sent only to torment him. He dioesn't think he deserves Jack, so he's a fraid to reach out in case he loses him for ever. He's paralyzed by terror and elects to do nothing, or maybe can;t make himself act. Jack is always there. always just out of reach - of course he's another Tantalus.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 11, 2006, 03:50 PM
There was not much more Jack could do to prove his love for Ennis to him  ,BUT now after understanding the film better I think that Jack should've spelled it out in words that Ennis could understand , face to face , eye to eye that he knew and understood how Ennis felt and that the struggle he was going through was a normal one. I beleive this would have helped. Ennis IMO needed constant reassurnce IN WORDS that it was normal to be confused about his feelings. Some say "actions speak louder than words " and Jack went above and beyond with his actions  , but sometimes nothing replaces good old fahioned plain spokeness IMO  in a situation such as this.. Verbal  communication (he had the gift) , I beleive was the key all along. With his captivating  charm,and ability to draw Ennis out, maybe he could've gotten him  to express what he was feeling without the guilt instead of having to guess and assume so much. Worth a shot anyway.   Aint easy though. Ennis was a hard row to hoe.... but human. Just a feeling.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stephan on Dec 12, 2006, 04:19 PM
(...) Some say "actions speak louder than words " and Jack went above and beyond with his actions  , but sometimes nothing replaces good old fahioned plain spokeness IMO  in a situation such as this.. Verbal  communication (he had the gift) , I beleive was the key all along. (...)

Very true, aintfoolin. Being so unsure of himself, I can imagine that Ennis could always convince himself that Jack's actions were firstly reactions, that Jack wouldn't behave that way if Ennis wasn't there. The verbal communication arrived... about 20 years too late  :-[
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Koka on Dec 12, 2006, 04:51 PM
ooh, I can't believe I didn't post in this thread before! it's gonna take me some time to go through all of your posts, but I think I'm gonna give my two cents for the time being:

honestly, I have had SO many thoughts regarding sexuality in general and have come to several conclusions which I believe to be true ( but mind you, those are my personal beliefes ;) ). a while back, I took the time to simply toss away EVERYTHING, but I mean EVERYTHING that society had forced upon me ( although keep in mind that I never was one of those people who actually took all the crap society wanted to force down upon me ;) ) and just- think things through, from the beginning, from the start, from ZERO. so I thought about sexualty and the conclusion I got to was the fact that all people are bisexual by nature. the problem is, 90% of the people that make our society would never ever be willing to admit such a thing to themselves let alone AlLOW themselves to feel attracted to a person of the same sex. I think that it's completely natural to be attacracted to both the same and the opposite sex ( more natural than being attracted just to a person of the opposite sex for that matter ) but as I said, the majority of people have a larger than life super ego and would never in their right minds allow themselves to just.....feel.....and embrace their sexuality and sexual energy in general. and the sad part is that people aren't even aware of these things. they live in their sheltered worlds GLAD that they 'mend with the crowd' and don't do anything that could jeopardise their perception of themselves and other people's perceptions of them.

my point being:

ennis simply fell in love. If he had never met Jack, he would have probably never ALLOWED himself to feel attracted to any other man, thus he would have never realised he was 'gay'. I think he loved Alma and he loved sex with women in general ( making him 'bi' )- but he LOVED jack. he feel in love with the person that jack was and not with the fact he had a dick he could wave around. but as far as attraction in general is concerned- I belive he felt attracted to both men and women. but as far a love is concerned, jack was the one who had his heart.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stephan on Dec 12, 2006, 05:01 PM
(...) but as far a love is concerned, jack was the one who had his heart.

You bet !  O0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 12, 2006, 05:14 PM
I agree with you both. The truth has been spoken in both cases. I beleive that Ennis had the capacity to be attracted to both sexes. If Jack, with his courageous personality had not drawn Ennis's deeply repressed inner feelings about himself out, he would never have engaged in gay activities. It took Jack to rock Ennis's world and turn it upside down forcing him to discover that Alma and relationships with wommen were not all their was to his sexuality. To his suprise mind you he found a another world of loving existed out there. He embraced it with Jack's help and fell deeply in love with him. 8)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Koka on Dec 12, 2006, 05:24 PM
I agree with you both. The truth has been spoken in both cases. I beleive that Ennis had the capacity to be attracted to both sexes. If Jack, with his courageous personality had not drawn Ennis's deeply repressed inner feelings about himself out, he would never have engaged in gay activities. It took Jack to rock Ennis's world and turn it upside down forcing him to discover that Alma and relationships with wommen were not all their was to his sexuality. To his suprise mind you he found a another world of loving existed out there. He embraced it with Jack's help and fell deeply in love with him. 8)

my point exactly!!!!!

but the sad truth is that, despite the fact that ennis fell in love with jack, he wasn't able to admit to himself that he was, well, gay, bi, however you want to call it! he could never embrace his sexualty, he never felt comfortable with it and with himself in general. when he was with jack, he enjoyed himself, loved every second of it, but during those periods, he would 'shut' the outside world completely out and be himself, with the man he loved, without having any second thoughts. but he could never admit to himself that it was love, he didn't want to admit it to himself. he 'knew', yes, but there's quite a bit of difference between 'knowing' and 'admitting'. because ennis KNEW but PUSHED it away, pushed those feelings away, because he somehow didn't want it to be so. he deluded himself, that's what I would call it, because he wasn't ready to live life to the fullest, to live it in all its glory. and the reason was society mostly, and the pressure ennis felt was exerted upon him by society- and BY HIMSEL!!!!....
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 13, 2006, 11:22 AM
It is interesting to distinguish between sexual desire and the heart's love, no?  Ennis certainly seemed to have exhibited desire for both man and woman, but I do think Jack was his heart's sole love.

In a deep way, both love and desire must be connected to define a sexual identity.  For me, Jack was the only one where both desire and the heart were one in Ennis.  For all of us who have been blessed by a similar experience, we know in a vague sense that such a love transcends classification: it becomes neither gay nore straight -- it becomes wholly a human love.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stephan on Dec 13, 2006, 03:19 PM
(...)
In a deep way, both love and desire must be connected to define a sexual identity.  For me, Jack was the only one where both desire and the heart were one in Ennis.  For all of us who have been blessed by a similar experience, we know in a vague sense that such a love transcends classification: it becomes neither gay nore straight -- it becomes wholly a human love.

As you know, Tom, I have rather serious misgivings with the notion of "identity", and sexual identity in particular. I wholly agree with your last sentence. However, the operation that consists in defining an identity is, imho, is a case of the intellect capitulating, of confusing a thing with the representation of that thing.
Although I am spontaneously aroused sexually only by men, whenever someone represents me as gay, then I fear that (s)he has started to see me as somebody different from the real me. (Am I making sense ?)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Koka on Dec 13, 2006, 04:16 PM
As you know, Tom, I have rather serious misgivings with the notion of "identity", and sexual identity in particular. I wholly agree with your last sentence. However, the operation that consists in defining an identity is, imho, is a case of the intellect capitulating, of confusing a thing with the representation of that thing.
Although I am spontaneously aroused sexually only by men, whenever someone represents me as gay, then I fear that (s)he has started to see me as somebody different from the real me. (Am I making sense ?)

I think you're making perfect sense....but keep in mind that the fact that you are, as you stated, 'aroused sexually only by men', IS part of who you are ;) but I get that you're afraid that people are going to get the wrong impression about who you REALLY are ( because of your sexuality ) just because most of them can't get pass the 'tags' and think that being gay is EVERYTHING you are, that it's something that defines you as a human being entirely, as a person. but you and I both know that there's nothing 'wrong' about being gay or bi, hell, I myself am bi ( admitted it to myself a few months ago after realising deep down that all people are bi ;) ) so I perfectly get where your fear is coming from. but you need to learn to be ABOVE it. you need to make that fear your friend and except it as part of who you are- that's the only way you'll be able to act against it ( there's a book called 'fell fear and do it anyway'- the title says it all. haven't read it though, the title just came to mind and seemed to fit here perfectly ;) ). make it your friend, not your enemy, don't push it away ;) just be yourself. I'm trying to do that myself, but the problem with me is- I 'know' a lot of these things in 'theory', but when it comes to the actual realisation of them, well, let's just say I suck! but I'm most definitely working on it, because I don't want to live my entire life deluding myself and convincing myself that I'm not afraid when I truly AM! the further I keep pushing fear ( IN GENERAL! ) a way, the longer it will stay there, and I will never evolve.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stephan on Dec 13, 2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks for your post, Koka !  :^^)
I believe that I need to clarify : I used the expression "I fear" but not literally. (In French, "je crains que" is not necessarily about being afraid.) To be more exact, I should say "I regret" or "I have the feeling unfortunately, that"...
But otherwise, yes. Identities are often about tags. Labels don't tell all !
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Koka on Dec 13, 2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks for your post, Koka !  :^^)
I believe that I need to clarify : I used the expression "I fear" but not literally. (In French, "je crains que" is not necessarily about being afraid.) To be more exact, I should say "I regret" or "I have the feeling unfortunately, that"...
But otherwise, yes. Identities are often about tags. Labels don't tell all !

I see....but then again, such 'feelings' are yet again manifestations of fear ( at least I think ), one way or the other. the moment you stop thinking 'oh god, is she/he going to think that I'm this or that just because I'm gay? is she/he going to judge and lable me?' is the moment when you're going to admit to yourself that the real problem is the fear that you feel, the fear of rejection in a way, the fear that people won't even make the effort of getting to know you as a person because of their own prejudice and large super egos which society so patiently and successfully feeds.  ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stephan on Dec 13, 2006, 04:52 PM

I see....but then again, such 'feelings' are yet again manifestations of fear ( at least I think ), one way or the other. the moment you stop thinking 'oh god, is she/he going to think that I'm this or that just because I'm gay? is she/he going to judge and lable me?' is the moment when you're going to admit to yourself that the real problem is the fear that you feel, the fear of rejection in a way (...)

Agreed. I would say that it is a question of degree, or dose.
If it is true that no rules should be absolute, then a certain degree of fear of rejection is good and even beneficient. Also, fear of rejection is part of the desire to be loved (different from the desire to be accepted) by someone different from yourself. It happens that sometimes you have to choose between being rejected by someone you love or remaining with another part of yourself. I think of a friend of mine, a French woman from a Catholic family, who was in love with a Jewish boy, but his parents would not allow her into the house unless she converted. Finally, even the boy decided it was better that they separate... she was heartbroken for months.

In a way, it was the same with Ennis. He cared for his family, he had to work to earn some money, he chose that instead of meeting Jack more often. A hard decision. I probably would have done the same thing.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 14, 2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks Stephan and koka for the wonderful exchange!

I had mentioned before that Idon't mind the label "gay" as I treat it as working definition for a lot of things that may describe me.  To assume that it defines me precisely is not at all realistic, of course. And by definition, a "definition" must limit and constrain, as much as it clarifies and distinguishes.

As was mentioned, so long as the term "gay" is understood as a working definition of something infinitely more complex, things are acceptable to me.  Terms are, after all, paradigms for greater or deeper realities that we all take for granted as inherently understood.  Tjings like "life", "love", "matter", and "essence" or "God".  No single term encloses the reality it seeks to define.  Such is the case with Ennis's "sexuality" and "sexual identity". 

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Koka on Dec 14, 2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks Stephan and koka for the wonderful exchange!

I had mentioned before that Idon't mind the label "gay" as I treat it as working definition for a lot of things that may describe me.  To assume that it defines me precisely is not at all realistic, of course. And by definition, a "definition" must limit and constrain, as much as it clarifies and distinguishes.

As was mentioned, so long as the term "gay" is understood as a working definition of something infinitely more complex, things are acceptable to me.  Terms are, after all, paradigms for greater or deeper realities that we all take for granted as inherently understood.  Tjings like "life", "love", "matter", and "essence" or "God".  No single term encloses the reality it seeks to define.  Such is the case with Ennis's "sexuality" and "sexual identity". 



a truly tremendous post dear Thomas!!!! beautifully said, you really do wonders with words!!!!  <^( <^( <^(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stephan on Dec 14, 2006, 04:32 PM

As was mentioned, so long as the term "gay" is understood as a working definition of something infinitely more complex, things are acceptable to me.  Terms are, after all, paradigms for greater or deeper realities that we all take for granted as inherently understood.  Tjings like "life", "love", "matter", and "essence" or "God".  No single term encloses the reality it seeks to define.  Such is the case with Ennis's "sexuality" and "sexual identity".

I can live with that, in fact I have no choice ! The difficulty is that, in practise, once you get labelled, it is next to imossible to get un-labelled. The injustice is done and might never be undone.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Koka on Dec 14, 2006, 04:48 PM

As was mentioned, so long as the term "gay" is understood as a working definition of something infinitely more complex, things are acceptable to me.  Terms are, after all, paradigms for greater or deeper realities that we all take for granted as inherently understood.  Tjings like "life", "love", "matter", and "essence" or "God".  No single term encloses the reality it seeks to define.  Such is the case with Ennis's "sexuality" and "sexual identity".

I can live with that, in fact I have no choice ! The difficulty is that, in practise, once you get labelled, it is next to imossible to get un-labelled. The injustice is done and might never be undone.

yes, but what I'm talking about here is that one needs to get 'pass' the fear of getting labelled and say to oneself: 'okay, people label me, it's injust but- so what!!? if those people don't want to make an effort to get to know the REAL me, well, it's THEIR loss!!!' the important thing is that YOU and the people you love and who love you know who YOU are! I know it's easier said than done, but alas, that's the only way one will manage to live a life deprived of fear and filled with utter bliss...
but hey, that's just me ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stephan on Dec 14, 2006, 04:58 PM

yes, but what I'm talking about here is that one needs to get 'pass' the fear of getting labelled and say to oneself: 'okay, people label me, it's injust but- so what!!? (...)

This is where I'm different from you and Tom, I suppose. I think it matters when there is injustice committed. I support not allowing people to continue committing injustice as if it was a human right ; I support educating people to STOP injustice before it happens. You cannot get past the fear of being labelled if you are murdered, like the man in BBM that Ennis saw when he was a young boy.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Koka on Dec 14, 2006, 05:07 PM

yes, but what I'm talking about here is that one needs to get 'pass' the fear of getting labelled and say to oneself: 'okay, people label me, it's injust but- so what!!? (...)

This is where I'm different from you and Tom, I suppose. I think it matters when there is injustice committed. I support not allowing people to continue committing injustice as if it was a human right ; I support educating people to STOP injustice before it happens. You cannot get past the fear of being labelled if you are murdered, like the man in BBM that Ennis saw when he was a young boy.

don't get me the wrong way, I was talking about a person's OWN image of oneself and about not caring what people, who aren't even WORTHY of you, say about you, how they see you and what they think. that's what I was taliking about when I said, and I quote: 'but so what?'. the mere understanding of the fact that it isn't important what other people, who aren't even WILLING to make an effort to get to know you as a human being, say or think or what their perception of you is, is the first step to get pass the fear of being rejected. because the more meaning you give to their words, the stronger they'll get- because such words and thoughts only have meaning when YOU, the person receiving them, gives them meaning. it may be injust, but I say SCREW 'EM!

but when we're talking about injustice ( in general terms ) I completely agree with you- injustice is everywhere and we should try to make a better would by teaching our children to respect other people and not to put their sexuality in a box, thereby restraining it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 15, 2006, 10:22 AM
It is my personal belief that as long as we live, we will -- to a great extent --  always live under the yoke of labels.  And indeed, so many great injustices are committed  in conjuction with these labels.

If it is a comfort to all of us, we should also observe that a great deal of beauty and truth shines throughout the world in the name of such labels.  As I had said earlier, labels are abstract constructs -- they can have no true meaning in and of themselves.  It is when the individual enters that the terms become colored by the tinge of ideals and prejudices.

I feel that it will always be that way.  They reveal so much about the individual.  Terms like "gay" or "sexual identity": they are blank canvases on which we paint the portrait of our common/shared humanity.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 15, 2006, 08:50 PM
You speak the truth Tpe, It's all about who we are as individduals. No one can really define us as well as we do our indiviual selves  No matter how the scoiety chooses to lable us, it all comes down to who we really are inside, what we feel as one person, One individual. One soul. You have to represent yourself and have strong roots otherwise you let other people tell you who are and what to feel. This plilosophy can be applied to any human being wether gay, srtight, bi, or whatever. We all know there's plenty of people out there who have made it their life's mission to define other people according to their limited  rules.  Please, don't get me started...!I suppose Ennis had some definition of himself personally , and even he himself could'nt pinpoint it to an exact science, but we as veiwers of this film , as well as Ennis knew it involved Jack Twist, his sweet love for him, and their fight against society to love and be together. Thanks.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ragtimecowboy on Dec 16, 2006, 02:17 PM
I'll let you down gently, ennis was gay to the bone my freind. as far as Jack being promiscous, how many times does it take for one man to be pushed away, before he starts to look elsewhere? Snicker away, but one does not ride another man like a thoroughbred stallion for the duration of the summer with a "heterosexual mancrush" as the basis of it! First inkling of how deeply ennis loved was the scene when jack drove away and he got waves of nausea and a flood of tears realizing that the love of his life just drove off and he didn't have the courage to stop him. Yes it is very sad movie, but it is also one of the greatest love stories ever told.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 16, 2006, 08:10 PM
I'll say now that Jacks infielity was just part of being human.  Watching this film now is a lot different to me after I've had a chance to get past all the initial fascination and get " deeper" into the minds of the characters I have come to the conclusion that there was no fault or blame to be placed on either of these men  This had to do with two people who fell in love.,happens to be two men.  What they did is deal honestly with how they had to hide their love,from a, closed minded society. Made as humanly as possible, it is a great love story so many can relate to. The story, as well as the characters themselves.Thanks
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: stephan on Dec 17, 2006, 05:30 PM
I'll say now that Jacks infielity was just part of being human.  Watching this film now is a lot different to me after I've had a chance to get past all the initial fascination and get " deeper" into the minds of the characters I have come to the conclusion that there was no fault or blame to be placed on either of these men  This had to do with two people who fell in love.,happens to be two men.  What they did is deal honestly with how they had to hide their love,from a, closed minded society. Made as humanly as possible, it is a great love story so many can relate to. The story, as well as the characters themselves.Thanks

You bet, aintfoolin. I can never say thank you enough.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 18, 2006, 11:30 AM
I appreciate the strong feeelings and wonderful thoughts shared in this thread.   Whatever we chose to believe, it is our privilege as human beings to understand, as much as affirm, our own beliefs and the beliefs of others. 

The question posed as the topic of this thread is a wonderful journey into who we are and what it means to be someone/something.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Dec 19, 2006, 09:19 AM
I concurr, tpe. And it is what true art does for us and to us: it makes and lets us explore our feelings and thoughts about the most difficult and important, sometimes even the shameful and hidden things we hardly dared touch on before. It is a challenge. BBM challenges me again and again, it is like a prism, I turn and turn in my hand, and it gives of light in a myriad different ways...

That is how come a simple question like "Was Ennis gay?" can make us bare our innermost feelings and open our minds to other minds. Sometimes, what I experience on some of the more "thoughtful" threads (and this is one of them) is a feeling of intimacy of the mind, of sharing my thoughts with others in a way I have seldom experienced elsewhere. I want to thank you all for this unique experience :ghug:

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 19, 2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks also, mona.

It's a simple question without a simple answer.  To answer it, we have to bare more than just a little of ourselves and our souls.   

To echo your analogy, it is a prism that splits light.  In the end, it's not the prism that transfixes us; it's the beam of light itself.  Being human is not one monolithic definition.   And being human is all the more richer because of this.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Dec 22, 2006, 01:00 AM
God, I love what both of you just said.  And monicita, so true, about the discussions on some of these threads having the effect of bringing out things in us -- and even better, sharing those things with others -- that we may not have been in touch with before.  It is absolutely fascinating.  The question really isn't "Was Ennis gay?" although that is a fascinating question.  But that question was left open by our very wise and artistic movie makers.  The questions are instead:  How do we define ourselves?  What is the nature of definition?  What does it mean to discern things about someone else based on clues we see, which clues are colored by our own perceptions?  Etc., etc.  Not to turn this into some intellectual or philosophical discussion, but those philosophical elements are at root of what we're trying to discern and express to each other.  And in the expressing, learn and grow, and love also.  Love each other for being another of those rays of light off the prism.  Moni, I love that image, BBM and you with the prism in your hand...

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 22, 2006, 06:56 AM
I love this film.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 22, 2006, 08:14 AM
God, I love what both of you just said.  And monicita, so true, about the discussions on some of these threads having the effect of bringing out things in us -- and even better, sharing those things with others -- that we may not have been in touch with before.  It is absolutely fascinating.  The question really isn't "Was Ennis gay?" although that is a fascinating question.  But that question was left open by our very wise and artistic movie makers.  The questions are instead:  How do we define ourselves?  What is the nature of definition?  What does it mean to discern things about someone else based on clues we see, which clues are colored by our own perceptions?  Etc., etc.  Not to turn this into some intellectual or philosophical discussion, but those philosophical elements are at root of what we're trying to discern and express to each other.  And in the expressing, learn and grow, and love also.  Love each other for being another of those rays of light off the prism.  Moni, I love that image, BBM and you with the prism in your hand...

kathy

Well said, kathy.  You pointed out correctly the true significance of this thread.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 22, 2006, 08:17 AM
I love this film.

OOT:  I know you do.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: JT on Dec 23, 2006, 12:03 AM
I love this film.

I do too! <^(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Magdalena on Dec 23, 2006, 08:31 AM
I love this film.

That is why i am here, and as i love my friend Esme as well, it was really about time i regged;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Sprague Dawley on Dec 29, 2006, 08:39 PM
The question about whether the boys were "gay" is ENORMOUSLY important. It gets at one of the most important questions our culture is grappling with: are people who fall in love with others of the same gender essentially different (a different class), or simply humans expressing love and desire in a form less common. The implications of how the question is answered are profound.

I've written some thoughts (http://www.ratdiary.com/?p=55) on this issue that may be interesting, or unwelcome; but they are offered sincerely. I'd be interested in hearing what people think.

Personally, I don't think they were gay. They were just two men in love... ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: chameau on Dec 29, 2006, 10:35 PM
The question about whether the boys were "gay" is ENORMOUSLY important. It gets at one of the most important questions our culture is grappling with: are people who fall in love with others of the same gender essentially different (a different class), or simply humans expressing love and desire in a form less common. The implications of how the question is answered are profound.

I've written some thoughts (http://www.ratdiary.com/?p=55) on this issue that may be interesting, or unwelcome; but they are offered sincerely. I'd be interested in hearing what people think.

Personally, I don't think they were gay. They were just two men in love... ;)

I didn't had the opportunity to welcome you before Sprague Dawley, so...  #$#

Thank you for this interesting insight.  I'm looking forward to read more from you on this forum.  ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 02, 2007, 10:47 AM
The question about whether the boys were "gay" is ENORMOUSLY important. It gets at one of the most important questions our culture is grappling with: are people who fall in love with others of the same gender essentially different (a different class), or simply humans expressing love and desire in a form less common. The implications of how the question is answered are profound.

I've written some thoughts (http://www.ratdiary.com/?p=55) on this issue that may be interesting, or unwelcome; but they are offered sincerely. I'd be interested in hearing what people think.

Personally, I don't think they were gay. They were just two men in love... ;)

Thank you, Sprague Dawley, for the link.  I will get back to this when I had done reading and thinking about it.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 05, 2007, 03:59 PM
Bumping this up for easier reference.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Magdalena on Feb 04, 2007, 11:37 PM
hmmm...  isnt it up to the writer to decide if he was gay or not?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 05, 2007, 09:10 AM
>>>>.......A woman simply is, but a man must become. Masculinity is risky and elusive. It is achieved by a revolt from woman, and it is confirmed only by other men. . . ..
-- Camille Paglia......<<<<<
 
When  reading, it helps to keep this definition in mind to the word DESIRE: ...the feeling that accompanies an unsatisfied state
 

 In my opinion,Ennis was never gay,or,as he pointed out to Jack..."queer". During ANY point of the film was Ennis EVER gay. THAT'S the beauty of Brokeback Mountain.THAT"S what gives the films now immortal words  " Love is a Force of Nature." its impact.

THAT'S  the power of love.
 
Jack and Ennis came together under certain favorable conditions or ,depending on your viewpoint ,unfavorable conditions..Whatever your viewpoint, they came together having within themselves something the other desired desperately. Ennis had a desire to feel appreciated,looked up to and respected.Jack had a desire for a strong authoritative male figure to validate his own masculinity. Which is pretty much the basic motivation of rodeo riders. To prove their masculinity and have it validated by other men.
 
Anyway,Ennis and Jack arrived together with an inate desire as every normal human being. A desire for physical intimacy.Up to this point,Ennnis had never felt physical intimacy with another human being.Not even from the woman to whom he was engaged.So I imagine it was an extremely powerful urge having been pent up all those years.I could be wrong but I also imagine the scene between Alma and Ennis sled-riding happened on occasion prior to the couples marriage, soooo , all that physical contact must have sent Ennis urges to the stratophere if Alma hadn't satisfied those needs,seal an intimate bond with Ennis before Jack did.Think hard about that sledding scene.Did the affection between Alma and Ennis seem genuine? Or did it seem a somewhat half-hearted attepmt by Ennis to cover up a supposingly  repressed homosexual identity.

How about the bedroom scene after Ennis arrives home and comforts to sleep Jenny and Alma Jr. Was Ennis genuinely seduced by Alma or did he succumb reluctantly?We also know Ennis was " Putting the blocks " to Cassie. I believe he chose to  because he was genuinely charmed by Cassie's beauty and personality.
 
Regarding Jack. His desires were evident to Ennis because Jack wore his heart on his sleeve.Or more appropriately,on his face,as was also evident to the rodeo clown having picked up Jacks vibes.Although the rodeo clown correctly perceieved it as sexual,Jack simply wanted the male approval and validation which had been so elusive to him.The same male approval and validation the rodeo clown fully enjoyed, as witnessed by the large group of male peers he aproached at the pool table.
 
I'm sure Jack tried his best to win approval through typical manly pursuits but none were effective.Jacks Dad surely never gave him support.Never passed on to his son his succesful rodeo riding secrets."Never came to see him ride." Fact is, according to Annies short story his father actually urinated on him. All Jacks attepmts seemed to fall short of his goal due to his less than satisfactory masculine adeptness.
 
Jack more then likely felt his line of approach was the only option remaining to him to have his desires fullfilled . After all,it worked extremely well on at least one occasion we know of,with Ennis at Brokeback. Exceeded his wildest dreams even. 

When Ennis and Jack met,Ennis already had an established relationship with a woman.Jack on the other hand hadn't.When Ennis mentioned his engagement to Alma,to Jack, Jack immediately dismissed his comment by not elaborating on it further.Didn't really want to acknowledege it.
 
Anyway,As most men do,Ennis and Jack continued to bond through time spent working with each other.Under these conditions with some time spent together,a sip or two of spirits ,Jack's coaxing Ennis to open up and talk about himself ,enabled a guarded Ennis to slowly let his defense mechnism down.Which allowed Jack to make a connection and eliminate Ennis startle point all together.All these conditions made for a very powerfull seductive force.The seclusion and privacy of the mountains eliminated the risk factor.Then...K-A-P-O-W !!!!!!! They met each others needs in a  very unconventional manner.Even worst.One that was taboo.
 
All that time spent together lovin'  and workin' caused them to create a still stronger bond.An intimate bond. A bond shared in the same manner as husband and wife where the two became as one. This In spite of Ennis true heterosexual nature.Which Ennis never denounced nor gave any indication existed otherwise in manner,word or deed.He believed himself heterosexual to the end. Jack was simply very special buddy whom he loved dearly....physically.....powerfully.So powerfully the love could never be replicated.Not with a man.Not with a woman. Poor Ennis was left in limbo and in a crisis unfortunately.
 
Still,its a testament to how powerful a force love actually is.

Thanks HiAltShag . and welcome to the forum,

My opinion (as can be seen in the previous posts) is actually different from yours, but I must admit that whatever the answer to this question it is not at all straightforward.

You had mentioned the bedroomscene between Ennis and Alma.  The most telling detail in that scene, of course, is that Ennis preferred to have anal intercourse with Alma in that scene.  The implication is quite clear.

In a number of other threads, it has been noted that there was a clear lack of intimacy between Ennis and Cassie, at least as far as the scenes in the film are concerned. For example, there is not a single scene that shows them intimate, in bed, or even kissing.  The fact that we don't see them intimate does not exclude the possibility that they were, but the fact that the film makers excluded any such scenes is quite telling.

In a repressed society, it is certainly quite common for gay men to have long established relationships with women, and many do marry and lead otherwise normal-looking lives with children, except that their true nature is revealed in secrecy, and with others who share the same orientation.

My deceased friend Robert is an excellent example.  His first experience of having sex was with a woman, but decided for himself in the long run that this was not for him.  Nonetheless, he maintained throughout his life a guarded attitude to his sexuality, refusing to hold hands or kiss other men (including his long term partners) in public.  Some of his closest and most intimate (and I daresay, the most stable) friends were women, and he always accompanied them to public functions and trips abroad, even if the affection was platonic.

There is no easy way to tell whether Ennis was not or was gay.  And I would also point out that the same is surprisingly true even with Jack! 

What constitutes gayness?  When does gayness end and bisexuality begin?  Is there such a thing as "absolutely" straight?  These questions are never easy to answer, especially when it comes to fictional characters like Ennis who may go in a number of directions.

As I said before, pursuing the answer to this question reveals more about ourselves than about the characters we are analyzing.  It is a question that reflects on the individual journeys each of us has made.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 05, 2007, 09:16 AM
hmmm...  isnt it up to the writer to decide if he was gay or not?

Hello Magdalena. 

Every writer of fiction -- in a sense -- loses total control over his/her work when it is released to the wider public.  In many cases, the writers themselves don't really know the answer, and leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusions.  I believe such is the case with Proulx.  I think she said as much when she said that BBM was a "study" of homophobia in the land of the "pure" cowboy.

Works of fiction are all the more richer when they establish a life of their own, separate from the original author's thoughts and intentions.  It hints at the broader universality of the subject matter.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Feb 05, 2007, 10:07 AM
To quote the poet "I contain multitudes". So do we all.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Feb 05, 2007, 09:31 PM
All that time spent together lovin'  and workin' caused them to create a still stronger bond.An intimate bond. A bond shared in the same manner as husband and wife where the two became as one. This In spite of Ennis true heterosexual nature.Which Ennis never denounced nor gave any indication existed otherwise in manner,word or deed.He believed himself heterosexual to the end. Jack was simply very special buddy whom he loved dearly....physically.....powerfully.So powerfully the love could never be replicated.Not with a man.Not with a woman. Poor Ennis was left in limbo and in a crisis unfortunately.
 
Still,its a testament to how powerful a force love actually is.

my two cents for what its worth guys:

Ennis was in limbo before Jack's death.  Ennis's "true heterosexual nature" ?  Ennis  tried to gain a   "a true heterosexual nature" and it was only for survival, to be safe, but  it always left him wanting, isolated,  alone, and confused,  battling his need to be what the world think he should be, and his need for Jack.

Alma and Cassie,  though they love him, wanted him, they couldn't come close to what Ennis felt when he was with Jack.  Even though he tried to live the conventional life, both women left the relationship unhappy and unfulfilled.

It wasn't until Jack death, did Ennis finally understood it all, the joy they had, the pain they shared, and the answer was in Jack's room.    There was no limbo after that,  Ennis and Jack were in love, I think Ennis finally accepted that, and most importantly accepted himself,  a little late, but acceptance always comes in its own time. 

And this is how I see it.

Works of fiction are all the more richer when they establish a life of their own, separate from the original author's thoughts and intentions.  It hints at the broader universality of the subject matter.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Feb 05, 2007, 11:30 PM
hmmm...  isnt it up to the writer to decide if he was gay or not?

Good point.  We can read these two men however we want, read the whole movie however we want, but AP is the one who can really answer this question.  And LM and DO and AL, too, I suppose, since AP gave them a certain amount of liberty with her story.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: irving on Feb 06, 2007, 08:31 AM
Greetings manhattangirl !!
   Feel free to chime in anytime.Everyone's "two cents" here is equal at the exchange rate. I have just one question. Is it conceievable to you a heterosexual could fall in love and be attracted  a person of the same sex strongly enough to cause some confusion and anxiety?

Yes they can...and I agree with manhattangirl....so well said.  This is why I dislike labels so much.  We are not a world of homosexuals and heterosexuals..we are a world of human beings and sometimes the lines get crossed.  I don't find it unbelievable in the least that a "heterosexual male" would fall in love with another man...given the right circumstances...I've seen it happen to men as well as women.  Does it cause confusion and anxiety? Of course it does...look what it did to Ennis.  Was ennis gay? If you want to label him gay or not it doesn't seem important to me....he was just a man who happened to fall in love with another man.  Maybe I am simplyfing the matter.  But that is how I feel about it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 06, 2007, 09:26 AM
my two cents for what its worth guys:

Ennis was in limbo before Jack's death.  Ennis's "true heterosexual nature" ?  Ennis  tried to gain a   "a true heterosexual nature" and it was only for survival, to be safe, but  it always left him wanting, isolated,  alone, and confused,  battling his need to be what the world think he should be, and his need for Jack.

Alma and Cassie,  though they love him, wanted him, they couldn't come close to what Ennis felt when he was with Jack.  Even though he tried to live the conventional life, both women left the relationship unhappy and unfulfilled.

It wasn't until Jack death, did Ennis finally understood it all, the joy they had, the pain they shared, and the answer was in Jack's room.    There was no limbo after that,  Ennis and Jack were in love, I think Ennis finally accepted that, and most importantly accepted himself,  a little late, but acceptance always comes in its own time.
 

The last paragraph summarizes how I feel.  Whether you agree or not on whether Ennis was gay, there is no denying in the end that Ennis loved Jack deeply.  It was this realization that saved Ennis from total despair.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 06, 2007, 09:28 AM
To quote the poet "I contain multitudes". So do we all.

This certainly applies to the question of human sexuality, IMO...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 06, 2007, 09:32 AM
Good point.  We can read these two men however we want, read the whole movie however we want, but AP is the one who can really answer this question.  And LM and DO and AL, too, I suppose, since AP gave them a certain amount of liberty with her story.

kathy

kathy, here I disagree.  I would even wager that Proulx does not even know the final answer.  And even if she did have a strong opinion, I doubt that she would want to spell it out any time soon.  She knows the power of literature and fiction in particular.  The ambiguity of Ennis's sexuality is one of the great powers of story and film.  As in Poetry, to spell out everything would be to destroy that power.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 06, 2007, 09:35 AM
Yes they can...and I agree with manhattangirl....so well said.  This is why I dislike labels so much.  We are not a world of homosexuals and heterosexuals..we are a world of human beings and sometimes the lines get crossed.  I don't find it unbelievable in the least that a "heterosexual male" would fall in love with another man...given the right circumstances...I've seen it happen to men as well as women.  Does it cause confusion and anxiety? Of course it does...look what it did to Ennis.  Was ennis gay? If you want to label him gay or not it doesn't seem important to me....he was just a man who happened to fall in love with another man.  Maybe I am simplyfing the matter.  But that is how I feel about it.

Although I do personally label him as gay, I do understand your point.  It has also been voiced out by Patriot1 and a number of members here.  I don't dare to insist on my point of view.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 06, 2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks HiAltShag.

This really is an interesting question for me.  As many members have said, sexuality is such a complicated thing that it is safest not to generalize.  Still, pursuing answers to this one question is a wonderful journey into ourselves and the world we live in.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Feb 06, 2007, 07:52 PM
kathy, here I disagree.  I would even wager that Proulx does not even know the final answer.  And even if she did have a strong opinion, I doubt that she would want to spell it out any time soon.  She knows the power of literature and fiction in particular.  The ambiguity of Ennis's sexuality is one of the great powers of story and film.  As in Poetry, to spell out everything would be to destroy that power.


Agreed, that Annie didn't spell it out; but I'm thinking of her sense of Ennis, what she felt when she was writing him; and what the others felt, in how to portray him (both of them).  Besides being masters of their crafts, the writer, the filmmaker, as far as leaving it ambiguous, it is also that many people do have trouble with ambiguity in sexual matters.  I like it, myself.  My own experience is bisexual, so I'm comfortable with not-either/or.

I think that if Ennis hadn't had the "Rich and Earl" experience, he might have been a more ordinary heterosexual guy who never gave deep thought to homosexuality.  Maybe had some youthful experience, but didn't agonize over it.  Considered his place was to do the wife-and-children thing.  And I could see him falling into a thing with Jack, as we saw it, even in this circumstance.  But because he did have that experience, he spent the next years in serious "don't-be-queer-don't-be-queer" mode, so that having the thing with Jack then put him into a crazy spin -- kind of schizo, like ignoring it during the four years (except for 'wranging it out a thousand times') and during the other times apart from Jack, then plunging in wholeheartedly when with Jack.

But with just a slightly different perspective on some part of the story or movie, I can see Ennis other ways, too.  And I love that about BBM, and about everyone here, with all the different perspectives.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Feb 06, 2007, 08:19 PM
HiAltShag:

I've read your post this morning.   I went to work, and at the office, I thought about the questions you asked me all day. 
 
I have just one question. Is it conceievable to you a heterosexual could fall in love or be attracted to a person of the same sex strongly enough to cause some confusion and anxiety? Have you ever considered introducing the dynamics of bi-sexuality into the equation ?

Bisexuality, true that was something I never considered in this story of these two men.  Why? this may sound simplistic to you you, so bear with me.  There was something Ennis showed  the women in his life,  Alma and Cassie,  both total opposites of each other,  Alma, accommodating, wanting to  please Ennis, have his children, not demanding.   Cassie, fiery, aggressive, sexual.   What was his reaction to the both of them, in this long and painful run, it was indifference.  The relationship he had with them was a  facade he took part in,  a part he was willing play in order for him to survive. 

When he and Alma divorced he lost his identity to world as a "married man".   Putting the blocks on Cassie, well that was going nowhere you saw that when he talk of her to Jack.

But honestly who was it he did want?  Who did he crave for?  And most importantly who was the one he wasn't willing to let go of?

Look I not an expert by no means of Sexuality, or how the mind works or anything like that.  This is just IMO.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 07, 2007, 10:18 AM
Agreed, that Annie didn't spell it out; but I'm thinking of her sense of Ennis, what she felt when she was writing him; and what the others felt, in how to portray him (both of them).  Besides being masters of their crafts, the writer, the filmmaker, as far as leaving it ambiguous, it is also that many people do have trouble with ambiguity in sexual matters.  I like it, myself.  My own experience is bisexual, so I'm comfortable with not-either/or.

I think that if Ennis hadn't had the "Rich and Earl" experience, he might have been a more ordinary heterosexual guy who never gave deep thought to homosexuality.  Maybe had some youthful experience, but didn't agonize over it.  Considered his place was to do the wife-and-children thing.  And I could see him falling into a thing with Jack, as we saw it, even in this circumstance.  But because he did have that experience, he spent the next years in serious "don't-be-queer-don't-be-queer" mode, so that having the thing with Jack then put him into a crazy spin -- kind of schizo, like ignoring it during the four years (except for 'wranging it out a thousand times') and during the other times apart from Jack, then plunging in wholeheartedly when with Jack.

But with just a slightly different perspective on some part of the story or movie, I can see Ennis other ways, too.  And I love that about BBM, and about everyone here, with all the different perspectives.

kathy

Thanks kathy.  I do think you are particularly inclined to appreciate the ambiguity more than other people (like me!).

I suspect that even without the Earl and Rich incident, Ennis would have harbored that ambiguity like some hidden hurt.  Things deep inside have a a way of surfacing at any given opportunity, no matter how hard one tries to suppress them.  Sexuality and sexual inclinations would fit into the category.  It simply cannot be repressed, if one has an inclination.  And yet, without Jack or the Earl and Rich episode, this inclination may have simply surfaced in Ennis's life in the guise of an abiding unhappiness and discontent.  Repression is a strange thing.  It transforms unfulfilled desires into every conceivable form of internal malaise.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Feb 07, 2007, 10:54 PM
So true.  That's considering he did have that inclination from his young years on.  If so, then yes, that kind of repression is so unhealthy, internally, and acting-out, and worse.  Certainly the man we saw, who was so quick to use his fists -- if his pent-up-ness wasn't due to repressed sexual inclinations, then it was due to repressed something.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 08, 2007, 08:59 AM
So true.  That's considering he did have that inclination from his young years on.  If so, then yes, that kind of repression is so unhealthy, internally, and acting-out, and worse.  Certainly the man we saw, who was so quick to use his fists -- if his pent-up-ness wasn't due to repressed sexual inclinations, then it was due to repressed something.

kathy

Ennis is such an interesting character, sexually speaking.  You are right: we really know next to nothing about his sexual inclinations during his early/formative years.  Although he claimed to be a virgin by the time he met Jack, I would think that he must have had SOME degree of sexual experience.  After all, he was considering marrying Alma in November, and one does not decide on marriage with someone you have not had some degree of intimacy with.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Feb 08, 2007, 10:34 PM
Ennis is such an interesting character, sexually speaking.  You are right: we really know next to nothing about his sexual inclinations during his early/formative years.  Although he claimed to be a virgin by the time he met Jack, I would think that he must have had SOME degree of sexual experience.  After all, he was considering marrying Alma in November, and one does not decide on marriage with someone you have not had some degree of intimacy with.

Some very small degree of intimacy only, I think.  In those times, and she was probably a good church-going girl, and it wouldn't have been at all out of the question that they had not had sex yet, that she at least would insist on waiting until they're married.  Who knows, though -- maybe she was really a little tiger under that demure exterior we saw at the wedding.  (A number of girls I knew (not me!) were having sex as teens in 1963, and getting pregnant, too, but that was in the city.)

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 09, 2007, 07:54 AM
Some very small degree of intimacy only, I think.  In those times, and she was probably a good church-going girl, and it wouldn't have been at all out of the question that they had not had sex yet, that she at least would insist on waiting until they're married.  Who knows, though -- maybe she was really a little tiger under that demure exterior we saw at the wedding.  (A number of girls I knew (not me!) were having sex as teens in 1963, and getting pregnant, too, but that was in the city.)

kathy

It did appear that she was madly in love with Ennis, or am I jsut imagining this?  The way she looked at him at the wedding.  In contrast, Ennis looked almost embarassed by all the attention -- as if he hardly knew what to make of it and looked upon marriage as a right of passage.

Both did seem to have very little expereience, although I would agree that perhaps Alma had more of that hidden ardour.  Ennis is equally ambiguous as a heterosexual, IMO.  Even in the first love scene between him and Alma, she literally had to coax  him (hence, my claim that she had more of that hidden ardour), upon which he invariably used her as a surrogate for Jack...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Feb 09, 2007, 11:34 AM
I'm not entirely sure that Alma didn't just see Ennis as a possible father of her children and one with whom to settle down - she seemd quite happy to be a drudge at the beginning of their marriage. It was more Ennis's lack of ability to provide than anything else which was a cause of conflict, though of course she may not have wanted to bring up his sexual preferences.

I don't think he was gay in a general sense, but maybe that's because Ennis is such a limited man; he's found Jack but I don;t think would go out looking for a substitute as he didn't see himself as gay.Evidently for 16 years Jack was what he wanted - someone else said he was "gay-for-Jack" and I tend to agree.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 09, 2007, 12:01 PM
I'm not entirely sure that Alma didn't just see Ennis as a possible father of her children and one with whom to settle down - she seemd quite happy to be a drudge at the beginning of their marriage. It was more Ennis's lack of ability to provide than anything else which was a cause of conflict, though of course she may not have wanted to bring up his sexual preferences.

I don't think he was gay in a general sense, but maybe that's because Ennis is such a limited man; he's found Jack but I don;t think would go out looking for a substitute as he didn't see himself as gay.Evidently for 16 years Jack was what he wanted - someone else said he was "gay-for-Jack" and I tend to agree.

So I wonder: would she have stayed married to Ennis (like Lureen with Jack) if he had provided for the family any better -- even after knowing what he was doing with Jack?

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Feb 09, 2007, 01:55 PM
Yes,given it was the 60s and they lived in a small town in a rural state, I think he may well have done. The job at the supermarket was only a way of increasing the family income - clearly when with Monroe she was happy to have another baby and be a housewife. [I was going to add "Silly girl" but that would be  *o)]

There's also the fact that if Ennis hadn't been leading a second, secret, life, he might have opened up more with her.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 09, 2007, 02:40 PM
From experience with friends, it seems that sexual issues are never discussed openly with their wives.  Ennis was certainly true to form in this regard.  But many of these friends who remained married just led separate lives.  Ennis could have done this had Alma been amenable...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Feb 10, 2007, 07:18 AM
I have just one question. Is it conceievable to you a heterosexual could fall in love or be attracted to a person of the same sex strongly enough to cause some confusion and anxiety? Have you ever considered introducing the dynamics of bi-sexuality into the equation ?
Yes I truly believe that to be the case but then of course if people of the same sex become attracted and labels used, then they would be labelled bisexual. It could be a case that if Ennis had ever even had a fleeting feeling towards another man that he suppressed those thoughts until he met Jack when the feelings were too strong to ignore and he felt he was were he could not be seen, he was safe. Other than for being with Jack he truly identified himself as straight because in his words "I ain't queer".

This is why I dislike labels so much.  We are not a world of homosexuals and heterosexuals..we are a world of human beings and sometimes the lines get crossed.  I don't find it unbelievable in the least that a "heterosexual male" would fall in love with another man...given the right circumstances...I've seen it happen to men as well as women.  Does it cause confusion and anxiety? Of course it does...look what it did to Ennis.  Was ennis gay? If you want to label him gay or not it doesn't seem important to me....he was just a man who happened to fall in love with another man.
Maybe I am simplyfing the matter.  But that is how I feel about it.
You may be simplifying the matter because it is a simple matter, at least for us here.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Feb 11, 2007, 03:41 AM
This is a great site, though most of us probably have seen all these various Ang Lee interviews.  But the first one here, I hadn't seen (David Lamble/claudesplace.com) and Ang talks about the characters, whether they are "gay," etc.  He's so wonderful, and I love hearing him talk, especially about this movie and these characters.  Anyway, putting this link here for the subject matter of "Is Ennis Gay?"  He said, the short story was a mystery [on this subject], and so was the script, but in my mind, they're both gay.  And he talks about it some -- Jack pretty clear, Ennis all "twisted."

(OT:  also, about filming "love scenes." FNIT he said was only one take -- fascinating.  SNIT, three shots -- wide, and two close-ups.  Reunion kiss:  two shots, one from each side.  So that's why we see the pix from different angles than in the movie.  I know, not breaking news, but it was interesting to hear this.)

kathy

http://www.ibloid.com/videos/AngLee.htm (http://www.ibloid.com/videos/AngLee.htm)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 12, 2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks Asali and kathy.

It is interesting to contrast Ang Lee's and Jake Gyllenhaal's views as to the sexuality of the characters.  I also recall that Gyllenhaal took some heat when many people chose to interpret what he said more literally that he had intended.  I do believe Ang Lee reacted somewhat to this when he admitted that he thought the characters were gay, when he was asked to react to Gyllenhaal's statement.

I think it is true what Ang Lee noted: that in both short story and screenplay, the nature of their secuality is a mystery.  It is up to each individual to decide for themselves.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: monicita on Feb 15, 2007, 08:29 AM
The question about whether the boys were "gay" is ENORMOUSLY important. It gets at one of the most important questions our culture is grappling with: are people who fall in love with others of the same gender essentially different (a different class), or simply humans expressing love and desire in a form less common. The implications of how the question is answered are profound.

I've written some thoughts (http://www.ratdiary.com/?p=55) on this issue that may be interesting, or unwelcome; but they are offered sincerely. I'd be interested in hearing what people think.

Personally, I don't think they were gay. They were just two men in love... ;)

Hi Sprague,

I am so with you about the whole essentialism issue! And I loved your thoughts in the ratdiary. So, when you say that you personally think Ennis and Jack were gay, do you mean that "gay" is a suspect category as such (many people on this forum are fighting being labled, which I can understand) or do you say: Lots of people are gay, but these two weren't? I once posed the question if it is possible to call somebody gay who would be totally unable to embrace the idea. In my opinion Ennis can't be gay, because he only knows being "queer" which is something horrible and terrifying for him. Does being gay mean that you have to WANT to be gay? If I say that Ennis definitely wasn't gay (see above definition) I do say that he had homosexual tendencies, as do most of us. And yes, they were also just two human beings in love  ;)

monicita
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Feb 16, 2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks Asali and kathy.

It is interesting to contrast Ang Lee's and Jake Gyllenhaal's views as to the sexuality of the characters.  I also recall that Gyllenhaal took some heat when many people chose to interpret what he said more literally that he had intended.  I do believe Ang Lee reacted somewhat to this when he admitted that he thought the characters were gay, when he was asked to react to Gyllenhaal's statement.

I think it is true what Ang Lee noted: that in both short story and screenplay, the nature of their secuality is a mystery.  It is up to each individual to decide for themselves.

I'm not exactly remembering what Jake said -- can you tell us again, please?  I didn't really get what Ang Lee said, what he was responding to, without knowing what Jake had said.

I, too, think it was purposely left open to our own interpretations as to their "natural" sexuality.  And I personally think they were just men who found feelings within themselves, with each other -- feelings more familiar to Jack than to Ennis, or, interpreted by them differently.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lachlan on Feb 16, 2007, 04:40 AM
I'm afraid I'm a bit new to internet discussions, but I'm an old-timer in relationships. I lived in the Cascade Mts (west of the Rockies) in the '60s and had a very similar relationship to that of Jack and Innes. There was no concept of "gay"; guys often fooled around with one another when they were in a tent. No label was applied to them. Later, studying social anthropology in the mountain ranges of eastern Europe, I encountered many similar relationships - especially amoung herdsmen. Most of them married and had kids and retained the deep friendships with whom they'd formed a sexual bond in their youth. Some languages even have a distinct name for a same-sex friend with whom sex and affection are accepted; but they rarely have any term which describes a person as fixed with a lifelong attraction to the same, and not the opposite, sex. It was Jack's second year on Brokeback Mountain. I figured he'd had some sexual experiences with his partner of the previous year (they were always sent up in pairs). When he first sees Ennis, he checks him out for this possibility. When he seduces him in the tent, he simply introduces him to the mechanics and potential of sex. Ennis is overwhelmed by this as he's been deprived of affection and Jack is overcome with the response; he's deperate for acceptance. Their mutual loneliness creates a love which is confirmed by the sexual bonding. That is precisely what happened to me and I know of many other cases. My reading of Annie Proulx and Larry McMurtry suggests that they are familiar with this phenomenon; known worldwide but seriously misunderstood in Anglo-American society. Lachlan
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tizi17 on Feb 16, 2007, 05:16 AM
lachlan hello!

i'm truly taken by what you have posted here, and also in the "welcome" thread.
this is - for me - some sort of missing link between proulx's story (and especially her description of rural society, and her story why she wrote BBM)
i was always wondering that since it was jack's second summer, he surely knew about these mechanics.
if i may ask two things: what do you mean this is misunderstood, in which way? and second: do you personnally think this kind of long year lasting love was really possible - despite of the character of ennis, anyhow - and would there have been a way for both of them to get together for good, was this something possible?
thank you again for your really interesting post.

tizi
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Feb 16, 2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks Lechlan, 

We do here in the States, find all too convenient sometimes to lablel what we don't understand.  Its Sites like this I love, because I reach out and ask questios to the world.   My question is the label "being queer", is one reasons, that Ennis was stunted in mental acceptance of his love for Jack, "I not one, so what  is it I feel for you?"  Could something like that be possible?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: The Artifact on Feb 16, 2007, 06:20 AM
Here is a related question: if Ennis is gay, does it -- in a way -- make him less or more interesting to you?

For me, it is certainly more interesting if Ennis is indeed gay.  His conflicting tendencies are cast into sharper focus.



I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU Tpe.
People who think Ennis isn't gay, in my opinion, lost a good part of complexity of his personality. The inner conflict he lives become less pregnant.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 16, 2007, 10:05 AM
Hi Sprague,

I am so with you about the whole essentialism issue! And I loved your thoughts in the ratdiary. So, when you say that you personally think Ennis and Jack were gay, do you mean that "gay" is a suspect category as such (many people on this forum are fighting being labled, which I can understand) or do you say: Lots of people are gay, but these two weren't? I once posed the question if it is possible to call somebody gay who would be totally unable to embrace the idea. In my opinion Ennis can't be gay, because he only knows being "queer" which is something horrible and terrifying for him. Does being gay mean that you have to WANT to be gay? If I say that Ennis definitely wasn't gay (see above definition) I do say that he had homosexual tendencies, as do most of us. And yes, they were also just two human beings in love  ;)

monicita

Interesting query. 

Personally, I think of gayness as innate, and not something one would want or force upon others.  Not that you can't talk about gayness through social conditioning; nonetheless, there is distinctlion between the tendency to commit homosexual acts (which I agree is widespread, if not universal) and orientation.

I would admit that Ennis had homosexual proclivities.  But I would go further in saying that it is not just a tendency; rather, it was the defining orientation by which he came to define true love and which even his prejudices could not destroy.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 16, 2007, 10:12 AM
I'm not exactly remembering what Jake said -- can you tell us again, please?  I didn't really get what Ang Lee said, what he was responding to, without knowing what Jake had said.

I, too, think it was purposely left open to our own interpretations as to their "natural" sexuality.  And I personally think they were just men who found feelings within themselves, with each other -- feelings more familiar to Jack than to Ennis, or, interpreted by them differently.

kathy

Hello kathy.  I posted the quotes somewhere, but can't find the quotes right now. 

Gyllenhaal was quoted in saying that he thought Ennis and Jack were two straight guys who jaust happened to fall in love with each other.  This raised quite a ruckus in some quarters, and Ang Lee, when asked to comment about this, said something like: I don't know, but they were pretty much gay to me.

It is best to quote them rather than to paraphrase what they said.  That way, there is no misinterpretation when I try to say what they said.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 16, 2007, 10:23 AM
I'm afraid I'm a bit new to internet discussions, but I'm an old-timer in relationships. I lived in the Cascade Mts (west of the Rockies) in the '60s and had a very similar relationship to that of Jack and Innes. There was no concept of "gay"; guys often fooled around with one another when they were in a tent. No label was applied to them. Later, studying social anthropology in the mountain ranges of eastern Europe, I encountered many similar relationships - especially amoung herdsmen. Most of them married and had kids and retained the deep friendships with whom they'd formed a sexual bond in their youth. Some languages even have a distinct name for a same-sex friend with whom sex and affection are accepted; but they rarely have any term which describes a person as fixed with a lifelong attraction to the same, and not the opposite, sex. It was Jack's second year on Brokeback Mountain. I figured he'd had some sexual experiences with his partner of the previous year (they were always sent up in pairs). When he first sees Ennis, he checks him out for this possibility. When he seduces him in the tent, he simply introduces him to the mechanics and potential of sex. Ennis is overwhelmed by this as he's been deprived of affection and Jack is overcome with the response; he's deperate for acceptance. Their mutual loneliness creates a love which is confirmed by the sexual bonding. That is precisely what happened to me and I know of many other cases. My reading of Annie Proulx and Larry McMurtry suggests that they are familiar with this phenomenon; known worldwide but seriously misunderstood in Anglo-American society. Lachlan

Welcome to the forum, lachlan.

Yes, among my older friends -- even in an urban or farm setting -- this type of ambiguity was much more common.  Of course, I found it interesting to note that some of them later turned out straight in the sense that they later seemed to have enjoyed only heterosexual relationships.  Some went on to lead gay lifestyles.  Still others married, had kids, and yet continued to have homosexual relationships.

I think all of us can agree with this: for a man to have sex with another man does not define gayness, in as much as to have sex with a woman does not define straightness, and the ability to have sex with both does not imply bisexuality.  It is not as simple as that.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 16, 2007, 10:27 AM
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU Tpe.
People who think Ennis isn't gay, in my opinion, lost a good part of complexity of his personality. The inner conflict he lives become less pregnant.


I do think that part of the complexity is the inability to accept a core element of one's personality.  This is how I interpreted Annie Proulx's comment of BBM as a study of homophobia.  It is the ultimate study of homophobia: for a homophobe to be in fact homosexual.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: The Artifact on Feb 16, 2007, 07:03 PM
Personally, I think of gayness as innate, and not something one would want or force upon others.  Not that you can't talk about gayness through social conditioning; nonetheless, there is distinctlion between the tendency to commit homosexual acts (which I agree is widespread, if not universal) and orientation.
I would admit that Ennis had homosexual proclivities.  But I would go further in saying that it is not just a tendency; rather, it was the defining orientation by which he came to define true love and which even his prejudices could not destroy.

I do think that part of the complexity is the inability to accept a core element of one's personality.  This is how I interpreted Annie Proulx's comment of BBM as a study of homophobia.  It is the ultimate study of homophobia: for a homophobe to be in fact homosexual.

Yes! Right words Tpe. You wrote exactly what's my thinking about.
The core of BBM's bigness is just the way the Proulx's tale - and then the film - depict how a man (Ennis) could live his whole life without accepting the truth of his inner being. The way he could approach this truth by experiencing an unexpected and overwelming love for another man (Jack) and, nevertheless, he could reject the chance of make the following steps. The steps which would bring him to become aware of his homosexuality.
The issue is gayness is not something you choose for yourself, is only something you discover about yourself. When you discover it, then, you can choose - more or less consciously - to accept it or not. And behave therefore.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Feb 17, 2007, 11:01 PM
Yes exactly, remove the labels and it would be even more simple.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Feb 18, 2007, 01:04 AM
Hello kathy.  I posted the quotes somewhere, but can't find the quotes right now. 

Gyllenhaal was quoted in saying that he thought Ennis and Jack were two straight guys who jaust happened to fall in love with each other.  This raised quite a ruckus in some quarters, and Ang Lee, when asked to comment about this, said something like: I don't know, but they were pretty much gay to me.

It is best to quote them rather than to paraphrase what they said.  That way, there is no misinterpretation when I try to say what they said.


Thanks, tpe.  I recall both comments, now, Jake's and Lee's.  So no worry about paraphrasing.  I'm surprised Jake would think that Jack is straight (and Ennis is just a whole case of his own).  Maybe he meant that they could live stright lives.  Well, lots of gays do that, huh? 

I don't have anything really to base this on, but I think all young people grow up entertaining some thought of same-sex sexuality in some way.  Maybe they hadn't had any actual previous experience.  Or maybe they had -- when a boy, in Ennis's case; and in Jack's case, I tend to think he definitely had had previous sexual experience with males and not that long before.  But having thoughts, and maybe some youthful experience, doesn't make those young people gay.  However, once Ennis and Jack got together, and it was so strong between them, then certainly I could call them gay.  Maybe there's such a thing as "situational gay."  As opposed to them having a preexisting gay condition before they met.  :s)

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Feb 18, 2007, 01:20 AM
Yes! Right words Tpe. You wrote exactly what's my thinking about.
The core of BBM's bigness is just the way the Proulx's tale - and then the film - depict how a man (Ennis) could live his whole life without accepting the truth of his inner being. The way he could approach this truth by experiencing an unexpected and overwelming love for another man (Jack) and, nevertheless, he could reject the chance of make the following steps. The steps which would bring him to become aware of his homosexuality.
The issue is gayness is not something you choose for yourself, is only something you discover about yourself. When you discover it, then, you can choose - more or less consciously - to accept it or not. And behave therefore.

Yes, T.A., agreed -- this story has such a deepness and touches so many people because of just that -- the character denying his inner self.  So this story could bring out a lot of things, not just sexuality.  But of course sexuality is the most basic, and is so defining of our world views, not to mention at the base of our emotions.  So this story speaks to us on many levels.

As to what tpe said, about the homophobe being himself homosexual, this seems more common than we would think, doesn't it?  What with "religious" people preaching against but having homosexual relations.  And maybe another example is women who crave sex but only get into dissatisfying -- or worse -- situations with men.  Sexuality is such a strong urge, can seem to make people lose sense.

But back on topic, Ennis...gay...  It seems we get hung on up defining "gay," and that takes us around in circles.  But at the same time, I enjoy this discussion of Ennis's sexuality, and his love-uality.  (I enjoy him in some fanfics where he's the "macho" of the couple, and Jack the sweetie-pie, the romantic, the dresser, lots of "gay" things.  I like where Jack calls him endearments, gives him a Valentine, etc., and Ennis gets all uptight about it...but secretly likes it.  But I digress, into the sweetness and light of fic-canon fic, where Ennis finally does come around to accepting and loving himself, with Jack's inimitable ways bringing that about.)

Speaking of macho, I always like that Heath said that the "gay cowboy" was the most masculine role he'd yet played.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Feb 19, 2007, 02:36 PM
[quote author=The Artifact link=topic=832.
The issue is gayness is not something you choose for yourself, is only something you discover about yourself. When you discover it, then, you can choose - more or less consciously - to accept it or not. And behave therefore.
[/quote]

I hope this question isn't silly:

Could Ennis subconsciouly be aware of  his homosexuality, but consciously couldn't accept it.  But repeatly over twenty years, meet with Jack, sleep with him, make love to him.  Then disavow the relationship later.  couldn't that make you a little nuts?   

Was that the breakdown Ennis had when he confess to Jack, that he couldn't stand it anymore at the final confrontation? 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Feb 19, 2007, 03:03 PM

I hope this question isn't silly:

Could Ennis subconsciouly be aware of  his homosexuality, but consciously couldn't accept it. But repeatly over twenty years, meet with Jack, sleep with him, make love to him. Then disavow the relationship later.  couldn't that make you a little nuts?   

Was that the breakdown Ennis had when he confess to Jack, that he couldn't stand it anymore at the final confrontation? 
That is not a silly question. I believe that what you say is most definitely likely to be the case with Ennis. It may not make you nuts but certainly confused within yourself. It could have something to do with the final confrontation I suppose.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Feb 19, 2007, 11:37 PM
That's a good point, manhattangirl, that Ennis's breakdown in the "confrontation scene" could certainly have to do with the stress of living like that for 20 years -- loving Jack fully when with him, and then going back to the depressing real life where he couldn't acknowledge it in any way, barely to himself.  His words there were about his being "nowhere, got nothing" or whatever, but he probably didn't exactly know how to say what it really was about.  Not only just that he hadn't gotten on with his life because of wanting to be free to see Jack, but the whole thing, as you said, of that schizo life of not acknowledging who he was.  But once in Jack's arms, saying that he can't stand it anymore, that surely would apply to not being able to stand the duality he was living that couldn't be reconciled.  If only he'd let Jack really help him come to terms with it all...they would have indeed been able to have a good life from then on.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 20, 2007, 08:16 AM
Yes! Right words Tpe. You wrote exactly what's my thinking about.
The core of BBM's bigness is just the way the Proulx's tale - and then the film - depict how a man (Ennis) could live his whole life without accepting the truth of his inner being. The way he could approach this truth by experiencing an unexpected and overwelming love for another man (Jack) and, nevertheless, he could reject the chance of make the following steps. The steps which would bring him to become aware of his homosexuality.
The issue is gayness is not something you choose for yourself, is only something you discover about yourself. When you discover it, then, you can choose - more or less consciously - to accept it or not. And behave therefore.

The Artifact , I must admit that this was also how I viewed it, although I will not insist on this interpretation.  What drew me to this interpretation is the absolute irony of it all -- an irony that does not lack pathos, in my opinion.  Sexuality is complex in and of itself, but one's acceptance or rejection of it is perhaps the most difficult aspect.

I agree that IMO, gayness is not chosen.  I remember a nice short film about an adolescent's discovery of his own gayness, and it ends when the beloved tells him (in a dialogue replete with double meanings): "Consider it a gift."

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 20, 2007, 08:21 AM
There you have it !!!

Yes exactly, remove the labels and it would be even more simple.

HiAltShag and Asali, I certainly won't insist that the entire question of Ennis's sexuality has one definitive answer.  We have our own ideas about this fascinating topic.  Whether simple or complex, I think we all agree that discussing it goes a long way in understanding Ennis's inner torment.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 20, 2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks, tpe.  I recall both comments, now, Jake's and Lee's.  So no worry about paraphrasing.  I'm surprised Jake would think that Jack is straight (and Ennis is just a whole case of his own).  Maybe he meant that they could live stright lives.  Well, lots of gays do that, huh? 

I don't have anything really to base this on, but I think all young people grow up entertaining some thought of same-sex sexuality in some way.  Maybe they hadn't had any actual previous experience.  Or maybe they had -- when a boy, in Ennis's case; and in Jack's case, I tend to think he definitely had had previous sexual experience with males and not that long before.  But having thoughts, and maybe some youthful experience, doesn't make those young people gay.  However, once Ennis and Jack got together, and it was so strong between them, then certainly I could call them gay.  Maybe there's such a thing as "situational gay."  As opposed to them having a preexisting gay condition before they met.  :s)

kathy

Hello kathy.  I personally thought Gyllenhaal approached the question the way he and Ledger approached the creation of the film characters.  After all, both of them are straight, and they approached the task of creating Ennis and Jack from this inescapable vantage point. 

I do agree with you about young people at some point entertaining some thought of same-sex sexuality.  I know that in my case, I had considered both this and heterosexuality on equal footing at some early point in time.

I am intrigued by the idea of "situational" sexuality. It suggests perhaps that people can go whichever way when the conditions are right.  Not wanting to be pseudo-scientific about this, but quite intriguing nonetheless...




Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 20, 2007, 08:36 AM
OT: Thanks friends for the wonderful posts and discussions in this thread.  Keep it coming!

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lachlan on Feb 20, 2007, 12:44 PM
Having been brought up in a mountain community, I think that virtually all of the boys experimented sexually with one another, but most of them had or soon developed a desire for females which over-rode their desire for male sex. "Gayness" is far too often interpretted as a lack of desire for the opposite sex. When I lived, in later years, in different cultures (still in fairly remote mountain ranges) I found that sex-play among boys was acknowledged as part of youth; after all, there was no contraception available and pregancy meant marriage. The fact that a boy had engaged in sexual activities or relationships withother boys did not tar him with any label or suggest that he was less of a man. Since then I have not been part of a "gay scene", and haven't felt easy on the occasions that I've encountered one. However, I have had numerous sexual experiences with other males. The overwhelming majority of these were with men who were primarily attracted to females but enjoyed occasional male-male play, so long as it did not label them as "gay"; to them this would simply imply that they could not score with a woman when the opportunity arose. In societies and languages with no such term as "gay" (I speak several which have no equivalent word; English didn't have one until modern times), it's no problem. Jack's trip to Mexico (which involved a prostitute in the film but, significantly, not in the story) could well be an allusion to the fact that in '60s USA, Mexican males were reputed to be willing to have a session with other males without getting ostracised with a label such as "queer". I can remember jokes told in the '60s about Mexicans as ready to go with either sex.

As I wrote on another thread or forum, 1963 was Jack's second year on the mountain and I figure he must have had some hanky-panky with whoever was his partner during the first summer. Therefore, he probably assumes it's on the cards for him to get into the sack with Ennis eventually. But I don't think Jack would ever allow himself to be called "queer", so long as he was able and willing to do the same with a woman. That is a very, very common perception among rural males even today; I can vouch for that!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 20, 2007, 05:46 PM
Having been brought up in a mountain community, I think that virtually all of the boys experimented sexually with one another, but most of them had or soon developed a desire for females which over-rode their desire for male sex. "Gayness" is far too often interpretted as a lack of desire for the opposite sex. When I lived, in later years, in different cultures (still in fairly remote mountain ranges) I found that sex-play among boys was acknowledged as part of youth; after all, there was no contraception available and pregancy meant marriage. The fact that a boy had engaged in sexual activities or relationships withother boys did not tar him with any label or suggest that he was less of a man. Since then I have not been part of a "gay scene", and haven't felt easy on the occasions that I've encountered one. However, I have had numerous sexual experiences with other males. The overwhelming majority of these were with men who were primarily attracted to females but enjoyed occasional male-male play, so long as it did not label them as "gay"; to them this would simply imply that they could not score with a woman when the opportunity arose. In societies and languages with no such term as "gay" (I speak several which have no equivalent word; English didn't have one until modern times), it's no problem. Jack's trip to Mexico (which involved a prostitute in the film but, significantly, not in the story) could well be an allusion to the fact that in '60s USA, Mexican males were reputed to be willing to have a session with other males without getting ostracised with a label such as "queer". I can remember jokes told in the '60s about Mexicans as ready to go with either sex.

As I wrote on another thread or forum, 1963 was Jack's second year on the mountain and I figure he must have had some hanky-panky with whoever was his partner during the first summer. Therefore, he probably assumes it's on the cards for him to get into the sack with Ennis eventually. But I don't think Jack would ever allow himself to be called "queer", so long as he was able and willing to do the same with a woman. That is a very, very common perception among rural males even today; I can vouch for that!

In much older cultures, sexual play between persons of the same sex can be quite common, if not outwardly accepted.  I find it interesting nonetheless that even in those cultures, the attraction can take on various levels of exclusiveness.

It is right to distinguish between various forms of same-sex interaction with the concept of gayness.  As in Greek and Roman antiquity, as well as in East Asian cultures, one does not totally encompass the other, even if they do overlap in many instances.  But to be sure, all these cultures did distinguish between various manifestations of same-sex relationships and recognized a spectrum that best represented specific types.

The concept of gayness is widely thought of as a product of a specific time and culture.  This is not quite accurate, as there has never been a lack of widespread, culturally diverse, and ancient antecedents.  This points to the fact that the classification is not artificial; rather, it best describes a certain line in the spectrum of human sexuality that is as natural as any other.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Brokeback_1 on Feb 21, 2007, 01:43 AM
It's all very interesting. Yet we are not talking about 2 herdsmen in Steirmark or the Transylvanian Alps, we're talking about 2 19 year old doofus's in 1963 Wyoming. To them, I'd think you would need to apply the standards of their own culture, one where M/M activities as boys were prevalent and simply never discussed. So there is that. Then we come to the odious labels. Most of them suck. Yet if you apply certain criteria which every bi male I know uses, these 2 come out gay as a picnic basket.

What does bisexual actually mean? Most people called bisexual are either gay males 'coming out' or hetero males who are open and curious. OK, the most used label says they can function sexually with either sex. But does that describe what it actually is? No.

Being truly bisexual has one criteria you cannot get rid of: what someone on another forum called 'the ability to forge that special bond' between two people regardless of their gender. If you can fall in love deeply with a woman, and have the ability to fall in love just as deeply with a man, then you are bi. If you can't you aren't. Everything else is a smokescreen of BS.

Could Ennis Delmar, did Ennis Delmar, have the ability to love Alma as deeply as he loved Jack? No, in neither the book nor the film. The director and writers put in the character of Cassie to point up that Ennis was incapable of falling in love with a woman who was, for all intents and purposes, a female Jack.

Until I used the standard  the real bi men as opposed to the narcissistic omnivores or the gay men coming out used  and applied that standard to J&E, yeah they could be seen as bi. Once that was used, no way, they;'re gay as they come, they can't and don't have the ability to form a deep love with a woman.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Feb 21, 2007, 06:48 AM
Brokeback_1: 

I agree with what you've posted,  my problem with the previous posts by tpe and lachlan, (very interesting) , deals with the role of woman.  The woman seem to be a touchstone for a man to prove he's not "gay" to the world, " See I have a woman, who has my children, I'm just like you".  if that's the case , the woman is a "beard", and  the man can continue his "male to male" romps every now and then, secure in his self image.    If you think that's there no consequences to that.  Look to the story of Ennis and Jack, and then look at Alma and Lureen, I saw no contentment in these woman who were just spectators in this long running affair.

As I previously stated to another member in this forum,  Ennis showed indifference  to Alma, It  may not been intentional, but something thats nonetheless  ate away at the marriage, which was only reinforced by his relationship with Cassie, the poor girl didn't stand a chance.    In the case of Jack and Lureen, you saw it in Lureen restlessness, and discontentment.   

tpe and lanchlan:   if I misunderstood your posts my apologies, but  is there a "true sexual self", not matter if  you're homosexual or heterosexual, or  just doing what comes easy? 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 21, 2007, 08:19 AM
It's all very interesting. Yet we are not talking about 2 herdsmen in Steirmark or the Transylvanian Alps, we're talking about 2 19 year old doofus's in 1963 Wyoming. To them, I'd think you would need to apply the standards of their own culture, one where M/M activities as boys were prevalent and simply never discussed. So there is that. Then we come to the odious labels. Most of them suck. Yet if you apply certain criteria which every bi male I know uses, these 2 come out gay as a picnic basket.

What does bisexual actually mean? Most people called bisexual are either gay males 'coming out' or hetero males who are open and curious. OK, the most used label says they can function sexually with either sex. But does that describe what it actually is? No.

Being truly bisexual has one criteria you cannot get rid of: what someone on another forum called 'the ability to forge that special bond' between two people regardless of their gender. If you can fall in love deeply with a woman, and have the ability to fall in love just as deeply with a man, then you are bi. If you can't you aren't. Everything else is a smokescreen of BS.

Could Ennis Delmar, did Ennis Delmar, have the ability to love Alma as deeply as he loved Jack? No, in neither the book nor the film. The director and writers put in the character of Cassie to point up that Ennis was incapable of falling in love with a woman who was, for all intents and purposes, a female Jack.

Until I used the standard  the real bi men as opposed to the narcissistic omnivores or the gay men coming out used  and applied that standard to J&E, yeah they could be seen as bi. Once that was used, no way, they;'re gay as they come, they can't and don't have the ability to form a deep love with a woman.

Hello Brokeback_1.

I do see your point, and as I had said in the last post, "gayness" is certainly just as valid a classification of sexual identity as any other.  Personally, I do think Ennis was gay, although I grant that other interpretations are also valid.

As for bisexuality, I don't really know how rare or prevalent true bisexuality is, although I grant that I know two or three people in my circle of acquaintances who seem to be genuine bisexuals (two of them having established relationships with a man and a woman all at the same time, and one who actually goes in phases, selecting a male partner, and then moving on to a female one).

I do agree that distinguishing true bisexuality is very difficult, and I am sure it was even more difiicult a few decades ago when gay men found it expedient to marry in order to look normal in the eyes of society.  I tend to be liberal in my outlook, and give a person claiming bisexuality the benefit of the doubt.  Although I myself had never really felt a physical attraction for a woman, I have indeed seen enough to say that what is always true for me is not necessarily true in the wide world out there.  Though our world is in many ways removed from that of Ennis's, it nonetheless remains an interesting one.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 21, 2007, 08:31 AM
Brokeback_1: 

I agree with what you've posted,  my problem with the previous posts by tpe and lachlan, (very interesting) , deals with the role of woman.  The woman seem to be a touchstone for a man to prove he's not "gay" to the world, " See I have a woman, who has my children, I'm just like you".  if that's the case , the woman is a "beard", and  the man can continue his "male to male" romps every now and then, secure in his self image.    If you think that's there no consequences to that.  Look to the story of Ennis and Jack, and then look at Alma and Lureen, I saw no contentment in these woman who were just spectators in this long running affair.

As I previously stated to another member in this forum,  Ennis showed indifference  to Alma, It  may not been intentional, but something thats nonetheless  ate away at the marriage, which was only reinforced by his relationship with Cassie, the poor girl didn't stand a chance.    In the case of Jack and Lureen, you saw it in Lureen restlessness, and discontentment.   

tpe and lanchlan:   if I misunderstood your posts my apologies, but  is there a "true sexual self", not matter if  you're homosexual or heterosexual, or  just doing what comes easy? 


Hello manhattangirl.  Yes, I think you have misunderstood what I was trying to say.  In my response to lanchlan, I had stated that the concept of gayness is NOT artificial, and that there is such a thing as sexual identity, and that this identity is NOT a discrete spectrum; rather, it is a continuous one.

For every person, there must be a workable definition of a "true sexual self", although what I claimed all along is that the choices are not just being gay or straight.  Typically, only the person really knows his or her own true sexual identity; nonetheless, owing to diverse personal and societal issues, many people have had and continue to have problems recognizing and accepting their sexual nature.

Can someone know of another person's sexual identity?  One can try, as in what we are trying to do in the case of Ennis.  But determining this from the outside is never a simple thing.  As I said:

I think all of us can agree with this: for a man to have sex with another man does not define gayness, in as much as to have sex with a woman does not define straightness, and the ability to have sex with both does not imply bisexuality.  It is not as simple as that.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Feb 22, 2007, 12:22 AM
Brokeback_1, I think one thing you said is at the root of the gay-or-not question, at least in my thinking.  And that is when you spoke of love, not sex.  I can't prove it, but I tend to think most everyone could be sexual with a person of the opposite sex.  But deeply loving someone as your other half, wanting to build a life together -- if that person is your same sex, then I guess you are "gay."

In fact, I often bristle at the very bases of the terms heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual.  I think it's about so much more than sex.  Granted, sexual feelings are at the root of so much of human experience, but that's just not all of it.  I used to say I can be heterosexual, but I'm homoemotional.  (I used to say.  Now I don't much care to say anything.  But if I were to say, I would say I'm a celibate bisexual.)

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Brokeback_1 on Feb 22, 2007, 03:54 AM
I hated being labeled kathy, just hated it. When a lot of gay men 'labeled' it was along the lines of get-out-of-the-closet and admit you're a homo. When straight men did it, you were a half or entirely a fag.  Every once in a while somebody would know exactly what you were, which was usually 100% wrong. Every once in a longer while you would meet a person, usually male, who would say hey I know what you mean....and they were right.

LOL

I'm glad you agree: it's about who you can love deeply, who you can form that bond with.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Feb 22, 2007, 05:13 AM
tpe,

 My apologies.  The question of one's sexual identity is indeed a solitary journey, I was thinking in the context of the film, that both Alma and Lureen, each had to search for their identity as women.  We saw what different roads each woman took.  In the  wake of Jack and Ennis love was not only a search for one's true sexual self, but a search of one's identity in and of itself.   I really hope I'm making sense.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 22, 2007, 07:57 AM
tpe,

 My apologies.  The question of one's sexual identity is indeed a solitary journey, I was thinking in the context of the film, that both Alma and Lureen, each had to search for their identity as women.  We saw what different roads each woman took.  In the  wake of Jack and Ennis love was not only a search for one's true sexual self, but a search of one's identity in and of itself.   I really hope I'm making sense.

Hello manhattangirl.  No need to apologize here.

The subject you bring up seems to be larger than the current topic of this thread.  Would you want to start a new thread dealing with the search for true sexual identity among the characters in BBM (specifically, regarding Alma and Lureen)? It will be a good discussion.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Brokeback_1 on Feb 22, 2007, 12:02 PM
hey hialtshag--love the name by the way lol, on another forum my signature is high altitude luck.

Ennis, I think, cared for Alma. I don't see any sign that he passionately loved her, he certainly never kissed her the way he kissed Jack or was willing to do any of the things he did for 16 years to be with jack---such as sacrifice comfort for his wife and children, vacations with his wife and children, decent jobs. All of which he sacrificed to be with jack.

As for the bedroom scene you and I didn't see the same film lolol--I saw an Ennis with his eyes closed grab  Alma, who had a 'not again' expression on her face, flip her over and 'do quickly what she hated' with the lights off after she mentioned the word lonely. And I thought the lights were off so he could fantasize it was Jack's bubbled buns and not Alma's. He was lonely with Alma, lonely for Jack. That marriage --OT a bit here--died the moment Ennis flew off the steps into Jack's arms, he effectively left her while staying in the same house for the next what, 8 or so years. I never saw anything between those two but some affection, never  love. And after Jack came back I didn't even see that. Yeah, he cared for her. Just no way as much as he cared for Jack.

In that sledding scene? They are 2 kids having fun, growing closer. Ennis tries to rough house with her like he did with Jack and she squeals 'No, stop! ' as he stuffs snow onto her hat. Always felt he was trying to recreate what he had with Jack on that slope in a failed attempt to make ENNIS work.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Brokeback_1 on Feb 22, 2007, 12:04 PM
Oh, and I can absolutely positively NOT envision the DE taking place with Alma. Like no way.
Title: Ennis's Sexuality: Was it Really That Ambiguous?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jun 19, 2007, 04:54 AM
Was Ennis's sexuality really that ambiguous?  We could go along with it "is he or isn't he" argument in the beginning, but as the years went on  wasn't the struggle he had endured was fear of  his homosexuality and the ramification of the realization of it?

The difference between Jack and Ennis is that Jack had a quiet acceptance of his sexuality whereas Ennis couldn't accept it because of he was raised, and inability of facing the knowledge of his sexuality. Ennis' fear was that of his homosexuality,  and fearing death because of it. 

Wasn't there a set of arbitrary signs that was evident like so much in this film something unsaid but readable?   The Reunion and the all that happened at the motel.  Ennis giving Jack all he could to show how much he missed and needed him, still holding back.   

Some would argue that because unlike Jack, Ennis never went to another man, but is that such surprise when dealing with his fears, his love, need, kept him isolated from even thinking of any other relationships.   Wasn't Cassie a glaring example of this?   Ennis tried to have a "normal" relationship, but was that realistic? 

Is it really that hard to say yeah,  Ennis was gay, or does it take something away from their story?   
Title: Re: Ennis's Sexuality: Was it Really That Ambiguous?
Post by: orangetruck on Jun 19, 2007, 05:40 AM
I rather like this post. I'm actually just headed to bed, but that's ok. I figure what I have to contribute here is pretty simple:
I really consider Ennis gay, and there's really no beating around the bush, ifs, or buts about it. You make a good point about the fear having carved his demeanor sinisterly, orderly, and prematurely. But Ennis is homosexual by the same means that Jack is. They each conceptualize the equations of themselves and homosexuality differently, but they are both gay men. For me, this will never take away from the story.

Thanks for the good topic.  ^f^
Title: Re: Ennis's Sexuality: Was it Really That Ambiguous?
Post by: tpe on Jun 19, 2007, 06:51 AM
This topic overlaps with the discussion on the thread relating to Ennis's sexuality.

Part of me says that these 2 topics should be merged.  Let me know what you think, manhattangirl.

Actually, I share your opinion.  I have stated similar reasons in the thread dealing with Ennis's sexuality.  But whatever Ennis's secuality is, there is no doubt that he loved Jack.





Title: Re: Ennis's Sexuality: Was it Really That Ambiguous?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jun 19, 2007, 06:14 PM





This topic overlaps with the discussion on the thread relating to Ennis's sexuality.

Part of me says that these 2 topics should be merged.  Let me know what you think, manhattangirl.

Actually, I share your opinion.  I have stated similar reasons in the thread dealing with Ennis's sexuality.  But whatever Ennis's secuality is, there is no doubt that he loved Jack.



tpe:

If you think this is best, I have no problems with it, I trust your judgement.
Title: Re: Ennis's Sexuality: Was it Really That Ambiguous?
Post by: tpe on Jun 20, 2007, 10:16 AM





tpe:

If you think this is best, I have no problems with it, I trust your judgement.

Thanks, manhattangirl!  I merged your thread with this topic.  :)

Title: What a Fool Believes.....
Post by: Tony on Dec 05, 2007, 12:13 PM
   A long time ago, a wise man said the greatest crisis facing the human race was the failure of the social sciences, or humanities, to keep up
with the physical sciences.  Meaning, we are finding ways to kill and torment each other with new weapons and techniques at an accelerating
pace even as we lag, ever farther behind, in finding out who we are and why we hurt each other.
  Pope Paul VI said before the United Nations-"Jamais la guerre!" ---No more war!  Didn't make a dent.  Simon Weisenthal spent his life reaffirming
the accountability of every evil act.  Hell, if we tracked down every act of torture these days, the courts would collapse.  And Dr. King began
the assault on racism, and yet racism has mutated and is ever reborn.  What's up?  We're stubborn.  We don't like challenging ideas with which
we are comfortable. We ARE lagging behind.
    So to my topic.  On another thread, Lamusica said the issue of Ennis' sexuality has been beaten to death and yet keeps coming up.  I think it
should, as it is central to the tragedy of this film we do love so much.  I ALSO believe, fiercely, that our lack of understanding of our sexual nature
IS a force behind abuse of women, other men, and a great many mysterious evils that baffle us.  We should keep exploring, and Lamusica
encouraged me to try, although I may disappoint her in my approach.

The topic, then, is---can love be so great as to transcend original sexual preferences, and how would that happen?  What terrible needs would
there be to force a person out of their "natural" ways, and into the arms of another of the same gender.  Please note--am reversing the subject
area, to allow broader exploration.  The subject is not whether Ennis was gay or straight (although replies on that are still relevant), but broader-
what could make a person desensitized and go past their basic nature.  And I'd like to know if it would be different for women than for men.
Some of you know I believe Ennis' loneliness was the key factor in expanding his sexuality, but will show every respect for any opinion.

As for the title of the topic-What a Fool Believes...it's from a Dooby Brothers song.  This fool believes BBM has within it, the questions that
can narrow that gap of understanding ourselves and thereby help, if only a little, to reduce the misery the world faces each day.
For me, and my foolish belief that BBM can heal, if only we let it challenge us, not sadden us, this topic may be a huge mistake.
But this fool believes it's worth the risk.  Not Ennis' sexuality, first.  First, his needs.   All of them.  Not just where he ended up sexually, but
what was there before.

Title: Re: What a Fool Believes.....
Post by: tpe on Dec 05, 2007, 01:37 PM
 The topic, then, is---can love be so great as to transcend original sexual preferences, and how would that happen?  What terrible needs would
there be to force a person out of their "natural" ways, and into the arms of another of the same gender.  Please note--am reversing the subject
area, to allow broader exploration.  The subject is not whether Ennis was gay or straight (although replies on that are still relevant), but broader-
what could make a person desensitized and go past their basic nature.  And I'd like to know if it would be different for women than for men.
Some of you know I believe Ennis' loneliness was the key factor in expanding his sexuality, but will show every respect for any opinion.

The is question touches on a number of previous discussions.  It is really hard to answer, even in the case of Ennis.  As you noted, part of this is because it goes back to the nature of sexual identity, and the corollary therefore leads to whether or not a person can go against his or her "nature", or is there such a disambiguous "nature" in each of us to begin with.

As I have mentioned before, I believe that Ennis was actually fighting his own true nature, and was being held back by an unnatural society.  The question then to me is therefore not whether he can transcend it; rather, can he suppress it.

I feel that at the heart of Ennis's inner conflict was his inability to accept who he truly was, and not that he found something different from his true nature that he found himself attracted to.  My opinion.

Title: Re: What a Fool Believes.....
Post by: Tony on Dec 05, 2007, 03:34 PM
   Tpe, thanks for responding, and I respect your conclusion about Ennis.  But want to try again, on the broader topic.
Some years back, a big scandal on the networks-the gay football team.  Seems the players were hazed by getting them drunk, and naked, and
all oiled up, and then set loose to play a kids game where you place your feet on footprints on a sheet on the floor that causes goofy collisions.
They were filmed, and the film showed sturdy sexual arousal.  Ergo---gay. If you are aroused, you can complete an act.  Dr. Joyce Brothers
calmed the nation down by saying-guys are doggy-dogs, and the players weren't gay.
   So, if a straight guy CAN become aroused, and for whatever reason, moves to completion of an act, is he now...gay?  Bi-sexual?  The shrinks
say....no.
   Next step.  Does completion of an act desensitize the straight male against previous inhibitions?  Would it become easier...the SECOND time?
I'd say, in many cases-yes.  The guy's still straight, not even Bi-sexual, but has been desensitized. I say this because guys in prison become
frequent fliers and then, released, won't go to that activity again.  Straight, but de-sensitized against previous dislike or allergic response.
  Now.  What would happen if lightning hit and a deep loneliness was filled with a friendship love?  And THEN, step 1 and step 2?  Annie may
have slipped up.  Her first description of Ennis' love for Jack was described as a friendship love and zero mention of sex.
   That may or may not have been what happened with Ennis, and I don't believe that can be settled fully and finally.  But could the process
happen?
   It's relevant.  Truman Capote, in writing "In Cold Blood", suggested or hinted part of the rampage of violence came from 2 straight guys who
had a friendship love, unconsummated by sex, and were feeding on that energy....to kill.  And he spent many hours with them, in prison, talking.
  The broader issue then is not whether Ennis was straight or gay (can't be settled), but COULD it happen, and how.  If it CAN happen, of course
that's relevant to Ennis, but unproven.  It's also relevant to the challenge of BBM, my focus...who are we....?  BBM can heal, if we go there, IMHO.
Title: Re: What a Fool Believes.....
Post by: manhattangirl on Dec 05, 2007, 04:21 PM
Why is it that Ennis sexual nature has to be one thing, and all of sudden he  was fighting not go over to the "dark side" like he was Luke Skywalker.    Ennis grew to care, than to love, an almost natural progression, and was reached out to by someone who knew the way inside him.  (am I misunderstanding, it wouldn't be the first time).

my 2cents. 
Title: Re: What a Fool Believes.....
Post by: Tony on Dec 05, 2007, 06:12 PM
     Manhattangirl, you and I don't see it as his moving into a dark side, but towards freedom, but you are right- HE saw it, if not as the dark
side, but the troubled, unexplained side.  I don't think he was guilty about the sexuality-there's too much progression towards acceptance of
that as the years went on.
    Have always wondered what would have happened if they, separately, stumbled into...a gay bar. I don't think it would be a fan-fic revelation
and all would change-they were too complex.  But I think Jack would have scoped it out, as a sensual person, and felt better than from those
sordid trips to Mexico.  Ennis, I think, might have sat off to himself, both stupefied and brooding, and gone home alone. (And of course, yuk, yuk,
making sure Jack never found the bar).
   MG--I don't think it's just Ennis tormented by his sexuality.  Am gonna go there.  I think, at times, MOST men are.  Straight guys can be
tormented by their exotic fantasies of women, that don't fit their self-image. Straight guys can feel guilty about--straight sex.  And so much the
worse for a straight guy who bumps up against a guy in the shower room in gym class and is aroused, and tormented by that for the rest of
his life, always trying to prove he's straight.  So it isn't just gays who have troubles adjusting, and severe troubles for repressed gays (as you
may see Ennis).  Sorry, MG---at different times, STRAIGHT guys are troubled by their straight desires and "this thing that comes over them"
and makes them so needy of...women.  Sex is a trouble zone all around.  Combine it with love and, well, can go better, can even go worse.
Sorry if that's a shock to straight women, but guys aren't going to tell you everything, so you wouldn't have heard it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: chameau on Dec 06, 2007, 01:59 AM
FYI, the topic What a Fool Believes..... has been merged to this one, please keep posting your interesting discussions Brokies.  :)
Title: Re: What a Fool Believes.....
Post by: tpe on Dec 06, 2007, 08:03 AM
Why is it that Ennis sexual nature has to be one thing, and all of sudden he  was fighting not go over to the "dark side" like he was Luke Skywalker.    Ennis grew to care, than to love, an almost natural progression, and was reached out to by someone who knew the way inside him.  (am I misunderstanding, it wouldn't be the first time).

my 2cents. 

It doesn't have to be, of course.  It depends on one's point of view.  Whatever it is, there was a part of it that he feared and tried to reject, IMO -- and that made all the difference.

It is true that Ennis grew to love and to care, but perhaps never really as openly as he would have desired.  In this sense, the progression was really imperfect, because it was predicated by conditions that could not be contradicted -- perhaps artificially.  My claim is that these conditions were unnatural to him, and thereby, it fed his inner anguish.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Dec 06, 2007, 08:31 AM
Look Tony, I not claiming to be an expect on Male Sexuality, or even play one on TV.   I can only go by my gut feelings as far as this story goes.   Your last comment was interesting;

     Manhattangirl, you and I don't see it as his moving into a dark side, but towards freedom, but you are right- HE saw it, if not as the dark
side, but the troubled, unexplained side.  I don't think he was guilty about the sexuality-there's too much progression towards acceptance of
that as the years went on.
    Have always wondered what would have happened if they, separately, stumbled into...a gay bar. I don't think it would be a fan-fic revelation
and all would change-they were too complex.  But I think Jack would have scoped it out, as a sensual person, and felt better than from those
sordid trips to Mexico.  Ennis, I think, might have sat off to himself, both stupefied and brooding, and gone home alone. (And of course, yuk, yuk,
making sure Jack never found the bar).
   MG--I don't think it's just Ennis tormented by his sexuality.  Am gonna go there.  I think, at times, MOST men are.  Straight guys can be
tormented by their exotic fantasies of women, that don't fit their self-image. Straight guys can feel guilty about--straight sex.  And so much the
worse for a straight guy who bumps up against a guy in the shower room in gym class and is aroused, and tormented by that for the rest of
his life, always trying to prove he's straight.  So it isn't just gays who have troubles adjusting, and severe troubles for repressed gays (as you
may see Ennis).  Sorry, MG---at different times, STRAIGHT guys are troubled by their straight desires and "this thing that comes over them"
and makes them so needy of...women.
  Sex is a trouble zone all around.  Combine it with love and, well, can go better, can even go worse.
Sorry if that's a shock to straight women, but guys aren't going to tell you everything, so you wouldn't have heard it.

Why then after Alma, and painful episode with Cassie, Ennis need  and only intimate connection was Jack?   Ennis's need for woman in a intimate way, was not required or even wanted, that close bond was made in "63, and was part of him for the rest of his life.

But as a father he held on Alma, Jr., as a son, he bonded with Mrs. Twist, these two other woman in Ennis's life was needed and welcomed.    I don't know if you understand me, or if I even make sense.  But for me,  Ennis never pushed woman out of his life, but the roles they played in his life were indistinctive to his needs, they played a certain role. 


 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Nikita111 on Dec 10, 2007, 08:06 AM
TPE, for me, if iEnnis is gay, is also a more interesting story.  I cannot imagine the degree of inner pain and struggle he must have endured (BBM shows some).

My heart aches for Ennis  :\'(



Yes, I agree.  The conflict is at the heart of the story.




 :\'( :\'( :\'( It is so touching
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 10, 2007, 08:12 AM

 :\'( :\'( :\'( It is so touching

What moves us, ironically, is that it didn't have to be so.  There was so much happiness available to him had he followed his heart, but he was so afraid.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Dec 10, 2007, 01:18 PM
     Hello, everybody--was surprised that my new thread had been merged with this one, as that wasn't the topic I was pursuing.  But it was
probably an act of mercy since my own new thread was disorganized and over-ambitious in breaching new territory.  So, I wondered, was there
anything of remote value to say on this, more limited thread, and maybe so, maybe not.
   It's the topic itself, where I made some unusual discoveries.  On another forum, this topic is active, but related topics have something never
seen on Ennis/Jack---Brokies with tire irons.  It was unbelievable to see the intensity and the clear-who's smarter than whom- combat that
should never be there--ever.
   But, back on this gentler forum, I do recall constantly bumping up against this topic (and, here and there, my own doing some of the bumping).
I KNEW there was a majority/minority split on this subject, but I just didn't know how deep the fault lines ran and how they permeate our whole
take on BBM.  And I now understand, if it's been gentler here, the topic still goes to a basic division in our approach to so very much, and can be
hurtful.  It's here, too.  Just no tire irons.
   WHY should a topic cause major or minor troubles?  As best as I can tell, one factor is the fierce pride the gay community has in this film and
so anything that suggests it isn't absolutely and totally about repressed gay feelings and accepting being gay, seems like a theft.
  Then there's the problem of Ennis never having generic interest in other men, his extreme loneliness, and other factors that will always provide
a legitimate argument that there was much more involved.  And so some of us feel we aren't undermining, we're expanding, and in the process,
helping BBM be a force for all manner of healing.
  But I didn't know.  I didn't know until looking in on another forum, just how deep the divisions run. And I look back at some of my previous posts
and wonder, did I really touch some raw nerves, but people here were too decent to gnaw off one of my legs (as seems to be happening at that
other forum)?  If so, is it really worth it--is the subject too divisive?
   Was not going to post, as that keeps a thread active, but others posted, so I just felt I'd say what I discovered.  We do filter our view of the
film, too much, IMO, from that starting point-was Ennis gay, and I don't know just how much that keeps us apart.  I thought it was a normal
topic, no hurt, and productive, but now I see, it can be hurtful and frustrating.  Brokies with tire irons. That's never been on Ennis/Jack, and
I will do my best to not only appreciate that, but be careful not to give offense.
   May start a thread on Victoria Beckham replacing Cher as an icon for gays.  That would be, as she says..major. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 11, 2007, 08:10 AM
Tony, I think such divisions are natural, given the ambiguous nature of Ennis's sexuality.  Some people do prefer a continuum, and insist that sexuality does not have to be clear-cut, although for operational purposes, it does seem very clear-cut for most people. 

Given the said ambiguity, I don't think we can ever arrive at a very clear-cut answer.  We only have the story and the movie to go by, leaving so many other things unsaid.  The answer is, in the end, not as important as the question.  As I said before, it reveals more about who we are that who Ennis really was.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Dec 11, 2007, 03:21 PM
     Thomas, am not going to stay on this topic, and for good reasons, but wanted to add a little more to my post above.  Chameau had
rearranged the furniture, more or less, by merging an ungainly thread I had started, with this one and so I go--"Huh?"
     Alls well that ends well, for I made some discoveries.  One I mentioned, was the vitriol in another forum that really shook me up.  So then,
yesterday, I read this topic, all freaking 13 pages of it, and a new discovery---it was one of the best discussions I'd ever seen.  Am still puzzled
as to why the minority opinion (Ennis is straight, or could be) really wasn't the minority opinion.  There's been some drift as people backed off
from earlier opinions.  But was mostly impressed by the civilized discourse, the good will and even entirely new information.
   Might add that I caught you out in suggesting what I have fought for, that in great literature, the characters go past their author and take
on independent existence.  And also found earlier opinions of frequent post-ers that would have supported so much of what I felt could be there.
  Above all,  I saw----good people.  And the subject was so well-explored, I doubt I could ever add to it, on the narrower issue.
So, being relatively new to the internet, and to this forum, will just say---that was a hell of a good job you guys did on this topic, and though
the issue was left unsettled, it was left there, gently.  Now it's up to me to temper my own posts in accordance with this new information and
not assume--you haven't been there before.  It was an unbelievably frank, calm, well-reasoned, and friendly thread.  Well done.  Beautiful.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: trekfan on Dec 11, 2007, 06:11 PM
all I can say is that Ennis loved Jack,  he might not have said it but he sure showed it in many ways.   So were they both gay or was Ennis gay?   I don't know how to answer that.  It seemed like all he wanted was JACK but he couldn't allow himself to reach out and take what Jack was offering.

When I first came to the fandom I was reading all kinds of ideas as to their sexuality.   One thing that someone said and it has stayed with me (maybe it's cliche or maybe it's just dumb or an over simplification)
But I always liked the term  Jacksexual :D when referring to what Ennis was.

 ;D
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Dec 12, 2007, 03:46 AM
all I can say is that Ennis loved Jack,  he might not have said it but he sure showed it in many ways.   So were they both gay or was Ennis gay?   I don't know how to answer that.  It seemed like all he wanted was JACK but he couldn't allow himself to reach out and take what Jack was offering.

When I first came to the fandom I was reading all kinds of ideas as to their sexuality.   One thing that someone said and it has stayed with me (maybe it's cliche or maybe it's just dumb or an over simplification)
But I always liked the term  Jacksexual :D when referring to what Ennis was.


 ;D I love it!!! I agree friend!!!  :clap:
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Dec 12, 2007, 07:06 AM
"I know what they got in Mexico for boys like you",   Ennis had his ideas about Jack.  He apparently had no ambiguous thoughts  as far as Jack was concerned.   He wanted that "boy", and threaten to kill if ever found out what that "boy" did, at the same time putting distance between himself and  Jack. 

Ennis stumbled into love with Jack.   I go back to the very beginning when the two were up in the mountain, and Jack jokingly said to Ennis, "that's the most word you spoke in two weeks", where Ennis replied "that more word I spoke in a year", and this before the FNIT.   How needy or lonely he must have been,  I mean wasn't Alma already in picture, wasn't he going to marry her, how much was she there for him?   

Ennis found something in Jack, that welded itself to Jack, and the physical was a step closer to him.   It's like watching  tug-o-war with Ennis at both ends.  Does this make sense?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 12, 2007, 07:34 AM
     Thomas, am not going to stay on this topic, and for good reasons, but wanted to add a little more to my post above.  Chameau had
rearranged the furniture, more or less, by merging an ungainly thread I had started, with this one and so I go--"Huh?"
     Alls well that ends well, for I made some discoveries.  One I mentioned, was the vitriol in another forum that really shook me up.  So then,
yesterday, I read this topic, all freaking 13 pages of it, and a new discovery---it was one of the best discussions I'd ever seen.  Am still puzzled
as to why the minority opinion (Ennis is straight, or could be) really wasn't the minority opinion.  There's been some drift as people backed off
from earlier opinions.  But was mostly impressed by the civilized discourse, the good will and even entirely new information.
   Might add that I caught you out in suggesting what I have fought for, that in great literature, the characters go past their author and take
on independent existence.  And also found earlier opinions of frequent post-ers that would have supported so much of what I felt could be there.
  Above all,  I saw----good people.  And the subject was so well-explored, I doubt I could ever add to it, on the narrower issue.
So, being relatively new to the internet, and to this forum, will just say---that was a hell of a good job you guys did on this topic, and though
the issue was left unsettled, it was left there, gently.  Now it's up to me to temper my own posts in accordance with this new information and
not assume--you haven't been there before.  It was an unbelievably frank, calm, well-reasoned, and friendly thread.  Well done.  Beautiful.

Thanks Tony.  I would like to think people here are level-headed and more open about the topic at hand.  But certainly no need to stop the discussion, just because it had gone on for some time.  And certainly don't feel that you have to silence your own views.  As much as we want everyone to respect each other's views, we also don't want people to not voice out their own opinions.

I agree, the characters have taken lives of their own outside the original story and film.  It's in the nature of things, I guess.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 12, 2007, 07:37 AM
all I can say is that Ennis loved Jack,  he might not have said it but he sure showed it in many ways.   So were they both gay or was Ennis gay?   I don't know how to answer that.  It seemed like all he wanted was JACK but he couldn't allow himself to reach out and take what Jack was offering.

When I first came to the fandom I was reading all kinds of ideas as to their sexuality.   One thing that someone said and it has stayed with me (maybe it's cliche or maybe it's just dumb or an over simplification)
But I always liked the term  Jacksexual :D when referring to what Ennis was.

 ;D

It has always been a point of discussion as to whether Ennis was attracted to any other man than Jack.  Given his repressed nature, we shall never know.  AS far as we can tell, it may have only been Jack.

I should mention that Annie Proulx herself had said that one of the starting points for her story was to see in real life an elderly ranch hand/cowboy look longingly at a group of young cowboys.  Her implication is that this was the image of the elder Ennis.  So at least to Proulx, Ennis was probably attracted to other men.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 12, 2007, 07:43 AM
Ennis found something in Jack, that welded itself to Jack, and the physical was a step closer to him.   It's like watching  tug-o-war with Ennis at both ends.  Does this make sense?

It does.  For me, Ennis was very spartan in his habits, even though his need for Jack ran deep.  He araely expressed himself, and he very seldom acted on impulse or the need for gratification.  But when he did, it seemed specific to Jack.  The attraction was very much in spite of himself.  So we do see the conflicting tendencies in his character.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Dec 12, 2007, 07:57 AM
Ennis found something in Jack, that welded itself to Jack, and the physical was a step closer to him. It's like watching tug-o-war with Ennis at both ends. Does this make sense?

Makes a lot 'o sense to me MHG. It was more than just being homosexual, Jack was his other half without whom he was not whole. Ennis discovered this other side of himself on the mountain at 19 and discovered later that he wouldn't be complete again without it. Sex was a part of it, but only a part of the equation IMHO.

This may be where the discussion can get heated as Tony points out. For many gay men their sexuality defines a big part of who they are, for others it is less so. So "gay" is important, very important for some, for others, who are also gay, it less important. Neither is better or more meaningful than the other, but it can be difficult to discuss this issue without seeming to demean the other point of view. In the case of our boys they seem to fall on opposite sides of this coin (maybe).

That term "Jacksexual" I think is great, as far as it goes, describing the sexual aspect. But to me it's really more like "Jackcentric". Jack was IT, period. Lover, companion, buddy, partner, friend, he was Ennis's link to the outside world from within.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 13, 2007, 08:01 AM
Makes a lot 'o sense to me MHG. It was more than just being homosexual, Jack was his other half without whom he was not whole. Ennis discovered this other side of himself on the mountain at 19 and discovered later that he wouldn't be complete again without it. Sex was a part of it, but only a part of the equation IMHO.

This may be where the discussion can get heated as Tony points out. For many gay men their sexuality defines a big part of who they are, for others it is less so. So "gay" is important, very important for some, for others, who are also gay, it less important. Neither is better or more meaningful than the other, but it can be difficult to discuss this issue without seeming to demean the other point of view. In the case of our boys they seem to fall on opposite sides of this coin (maybe).

That term "Jacksexual" I think is great, as far as it goes, describing the sexual aspect. But to me it's really more like "Jackcentric". Jack was IT, period. Lover, companion, buddy, partner, friend, he was Ennis's link to the outside world from within.

I have always considered gayness as much more than just sexual attraction.  But I agree when you said: "For many gay men their sexuality defines a big part of who they are, for others it is less so. "
 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Dec 13, 2007, 02:53 PM
I have always considered gayness as much more than just sexual attraction. 
 

OK, now you've got me puzzled. Maybe OT here, but like what  :s)  ?

Just curious. Are you meaning that Ennis may be homosexual, but not "gay"?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 13, 2007, 03:05 PM
OK, now you've got me puzzled. Maybe OT here, but like what  :s)  ?

Just curious. Are you meaning that Ennis may be homosexual, but not "gay"?

Hello Jackster.  For the record, I believe Ennis was gay.  You can't be gay and not be homosexual, IMO.

When I say that it is not just sexual attraction, I didn't say it wasn't sexual attraction.  The attraction part is a given.  But gayness has a cultural dimension, as much as it has a distinct aesthetic.  For example, I believe that gays have a unique way of appreciating masculinity, similar to but in some ways different from how a straight woman would appreciate it.  Some people would think of it as a mixing of feminine and masculine sensibilities.  I guess there is a grain of truth to that.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Dec 13, 2007, 04:40 PM
Hello Jackster.  For the record, I believe Ennis was gay.  You can't be gay and not be homosexual, IMO.


Thanks for the clarification Thomas. Can't say I agree about Ennis (I think maybe we discussed this once before) don't see him as even a little bit "gay" myself, but that's me. Curious what would be some feminine sensibilities that you feel Ennis exhibits in the gay scale? For the record I see Ennis as homosexual, in that he was attracted to and liked sex with Jack who was male. Seems to pretty much end there for me.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 13, 2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the clarification Thomas. Can't say I agree about Ennis (I think maybe we discussed this once before) don't see him as even a little bit "gay" myself, but that's me. Curious what would be some feminine sensibilities that you feel Ennis exhibits in the gay scale? For the record I see Ennis as homosexual, in that he was attracted to and liked sex with Jack who was male. Seems to pretty much end there for me.

That's fine, Jackster.  I think a lot of straight people connected with Ennis because other than his love for Jack, he doesn't seem "gay" at all -- at least not the stereotype most people think.  This what makes him and Jack bridge the divide, I think.  And BBM is so full of this -- things so hard to classify.  Perhaps because that's how it is in real life.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Dec 17, 2007, 12:11 AM
It has always been a point of discussion as to whether Ennis was attracted to any other man than Jack.  Given his repressed nature, we shall never know.  AS far as we can tell, it may have only been Jack.

I should mention that Annie Proulx herself had said that one of the starting points for her story was to see in real life an elderly ranch hand/cowboy look longingly at a group of young cowboys.  Her implication is that this was the image of the elder Ennis.  So at least to Proulx, Ennis was probably attracted to other men.

Unless he was just looking at the young men and dreaming of his youth with his "Jack," or the lack thereof.

I am still enjoying everything this thread brings up.  It's not some scientific question about the story and the movie that can be answered logically, since we each bring a different perspective to it.  And also, I like what you said, Thomas -- the question is as important or more important than the answer; and it is yet another way we learn about how we come together here on this forum.

I read with interest all your ideas, Tony.  Since the question will never be answered, just keep on talking about it.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Dec 17, 2007, 08:31 AM
I only know one thing, in that first summer, Jack found a way to Ennis, that Alma apparently couldn't.   Ennis's life may looked conventional, but it really wasn't.  He lived it for one thing to be with Jack.  It wasn't that he was a failure, or felt like he was nothing, Oh, it came up in the final confrontation, but  his life was dedicated to one person.  Jack, overshadowing everything else in life, that's why the breakdown, Jack just didn't get it, and Ennis realized that Jack was his life.  Can anyone love another in just this way, and wonder who are?  Did Ennis ever questioned it?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 17, 2007, 08:43 AM
Unless he was just looking at the young men and dreaming of his youth with his "Jack," or the lack thereof.

I am still enjoying everything this thread brings up.  It's not some scientific question about the story and the movie that can be answered logically, since we each bring a different perspective to it.  And also, I like what you said, Thomas -- the question is as important or more important than the answer; and it is yet another way we learn about how we come together here on this forum.

I read with interest all your ideas, Tony.  Since the question will never be answered, just keep on talking about it.

kathy

Thanks Kathy.  And it is true -- the young men may have simply reminded him of his younger self and Jack.  ;)

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 17, 2007, 08:48 AM
I only know one thing, in that first summer, Jack found a way to Ennis, that Alma apparently couldn't.   Ennis's life may looked conventional, but it really wasn't.  He lived it for one thing to be with Jack.  It wasn't that he was a failure, or felt like he was nothing, Oh, it came up in the final confrontation, but  his life was dedicated to one person.  Jack, overshadowing everything else in life, that's why the breakdown, Jack just didn't get it, and Ennis realized that Jack was his life.  Can anyone love another in just this way, and wonder who are?  Did Ennis ever questioned it?

So much lay hidden underneath.

As to your last question, I suspect that Ennis must have compartmentalized the different aspects of his life, especially Jack.  But it is hard to think that deep inside, he didn't sometimes question who he was, and what his feelings for Jack must have somehow made him ask why it was so, even if it was only specific to Jack.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Dec 17, 2007, 02:53 PM
I only know one thing, in that first summer, Jack found a way to Ennis, that Alma apparently couldn't.   Ennis's life may looked conventional, but it really wasn't.  He lived it for one thing to be with Jack.  It wasn't that he was a failure, or felt like he was nothing, Oh, it came up in the final confrontation, but  his life was dedicated to one person.  Jack, overshadowing everything else in life, that's why the breakdown, Jack just didn't get it, and Ennis realized that Jack was his life.  Can anyone love another in just this way, and wonder who are?  Did Ennis ever questioned it?
Without a doubt Ennis would have questioned who he was and what was going on within himself, you could not have these feelings and not question yourself, as much he may have not wanted to admit anything to himself about his feelings and who he was, he would have realised how real these feelings were and that they were not going to disappear.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Dec 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
Again, I think Ennis's great awakening was when he broke down in the shed after saying good-bye to Jack.  That's when he first realized he wasn't going to be able to just walk away and forget Jack.  He believed there was nothing he could do to change things.  Certainly, he wasn't willing to go off somewhere with Jack, but he knew in his guts that Jack would be in his mind forever.  That's why he was so upset.  He finally had an epiphany -- that he LOVED Jack -- and saw no way to follow-up on that love.  After all, he was engaged to Alma.
    I look at that scene as being the beginning of Ennis's emotional distress, almost depression.  He went through all the motions of living a life with Alma and the girls, but he was only partly there.  His heart was with Jack and he was gone!  When he showed up four years later, Ennis had a temporary sense of completeness.
    Yes, I think Ennis would have thought about all of this and wondered who and what his feelings for Jack really meant, but his sense of duty and responsibility kept him where he was in spite of his feelings.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Dec 18, 2007, 03:08 PM
Absolutely agree with your whole post lamusica. O0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 20, 2007, 08:44 AM
 I agree with lamusica's post too as well as MG's above. Does any one feel that Ennis may have had these tendencies alot earlier than he realized? Back in the days of Earl and Rich? Maybe this is why their tradgedy affected Ennis so deeply? Perhaps even then, he knew he was "different" in some way? He isolated himself from society as a way of coping with who he felt he was deep inside. That sense of not really belonging anywhere, but just going thru the motions of life doing what was expected of him.  Yes, he fell in love with Jack, but he had to be somewhat open to Jack's approach. If he was totally straight, could he do this? Say for instance , it was'nt Jack , but some one who processed Jack's attributes, some other guy OTHER than Jack in the same set of circumstances as his BBM experience? Could Ennis have still fell in love with him or was Jack just that perfect one for him? I don't know but .... Just curious.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Dec 20, 2007, 11:34 AM
Personally, I don't think Ennis had any tendencies toward homosexuality when he was a child, but I DO think that his father taught him something when he took him to see the battered body of one of the two men who were "ranched up together".  Most children 10 years old or younger, in those days, were not aware that two men or two women could or would love each other physically.  These things were not talked about, and certainly weren't shown on tv or in movies in the 60's.  Most people didn't know what homosexuality was until they were in their teens, or at least that's when my schoolmates and I first became aware of the existence of same-sex love.  So, Ennis's father, by showing him the body, opened his mind to the possibility of two men being life-partners.
       In that sense, Ennis was at least, perhaps, more aware of the facts of life.  Not only did he know what homosexuality was, but that it was something to be shunned, and, as his father did, hated and eradicated.
      When he awoke to find Jack's hand on his c--k, after the initial surprise and fuzzy-headedness of being drunk and newly awakened, he didn't hesitate to give Jack what he was asking for.  Maybe he complied partly because of curiosity that was embedded by his father.  Just MHO.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Dec 20, 2007, 03:45 PM
Personally, I don't think Ennis had any tendencies toward homosexuality when he was a child, but I DO think that his father taught him something when he took him to see the battered body of one of the two men who were "ranched up together". 

I'm very much with you here lamusica, months ago I started a thread called Earl, Rich & the Garden of Eden where I tried to make this point, I started it by saying this . . .
Young Ennis was shown this brutal murder scene and was seemingly exposed to the nature of their relationship even before this ugly scene. “Dad would pass a remark when he seen them” he recalled 15 years later when revealing this scene to Jack (in the SS). So, he learned at a young age about men living together with men, whether good or bad, but he was made aware of it as a phenomena. Do you think that this early knowledge and understanding (as negative as it was) of men living together was critical to his later concept of this as even a possibility?

Like Adam in the Garden, Ennis was shown something, but then forewarned not to touch it. It can make it very tempting. If Ennis had not been shown this “lifestyle” do think he would have been more or less receptive to Jack FNIT? Would he have rebuffed Jacks’ first advance, or more importantly, not sought any type of emotional relationship with Jack as he initiated SNIT?

Ennis certainly was AC/DC but seemed to get more satisfaction (in several ways) from his relationship with Jack than with Alma or Cassie. But many men with similar feelings would’ve punched out Jack’s lights if he’d made a similar move FNIT. Ennis, after thinking it over came to a different conclusion SNIT. Why?

I think your absolutely right, Ennis's father planted the seeds, or at least watered them, by making such a big deal about E & R and this male relationship. It allowed Ennis to realize his feelings in way that he may never had achieved without this gruesome introduction, of course it also tied his inner self into an incredibly tight knot. A knot that only Jack Twist could then undo.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Dec 20, 2007, 04:00 PM
     Jackster, came across that thread of yours, some time back, and it was rich with possibilities, and many fulfilled.  Got me to thinking,
though, about the apparent lack of real love in Ennis' childhood.  His father was a creep, and sounds like he was disposable, by his brothers
and, I believe, sister.
    So then, the only exposure he had to real, overwhelming love was that shown and risked by Earl and Rich.  The sexuality, at his age, would not
have been completely understood.  So, am willing to risk saying this--Earl and Rich enabled Ennis' ability to love Jack emotionally, and tormented
him, as to the consequences sexually.  Enabled, and blocked.  It was a great thread, Jackster.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Dec 20, 2007, 06:11 PM
   . . . So then, the only exposure he had to real, overwhelming love was that shown and risked by Earl and Rich.  The sexuality, at his age, would not
have been completely understood.  So, am willing to risk saying this--Earl and Rich enabled Ennis' ability to love Jack emotionally, and tormented
him, as to the consequences sexually.  Enabled, and blocked.  . . .


I agree and of course you're right here, one of Ennis's earliest memories is of someone who died because of his love, no wonder he was as you say tormented. Don't know about his lack of childhood love however, remember in the Dozy Embrace he hums and recalls a saying by his mama as he embraces Jack. He must have some good memories to make that association during that expression of real love don'tcha think? As far as bro & sis go, they possibly had to fight to keep him from being taken to a foster home so there was maybe some love there too I feel. It woulda' been a tough time anyway you slice it. Maybe what his childhood lacked was continuity, stability, predictability. Maybe part of what made him so reluctant to commit with JT.

And, thanks for your praise Tony. :^^)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Dec 20, 2007, 08:00 PM
Sorry I missed your initial thread, jackster, but you made the point well.  Again, I think our common age more or less helps us see things similarly; we both remember the 60's well, and their restrictions and victorian morals, just beginning to unravel on the cusp of the sexual revolution.  As you and Tony have said above, Earl and Rich did speak to Ennis -- awaken within the idea that two men could love one another to the point of dying to preserve their lifestyle.  I hadn't thought of that angle before this discussion.  Thanks to both of you.
        Also, like how you put it, Tony -- "Enabled and blocked"!  Wow!  That says it all.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 21, 2007, 05:38 PM
I agree and of course you're right here, one of Ennis's earliest memories is of someone who died because of his love, no wonder he was as you say tormented. Don't know about his lack of childhood love however, remember in the Dozy Embrace he hums and recalls a saying by his mama as he embraces Jack. He must have some good memories to make that association during that expression of real love don'tcha think? As far as bro & sis go, they possibly had to fight to keep him from being taken to a foster home so there was maybe some love there too I feel. It woulda' been a tough time anyway you slice it. Maybe what his childhood lacked was continuity, stability, predictability. Maybe part of what made him so reluctant to commit with JT.

And, thanks for your praise Tony. :^^)

Jackster's earlier thread is a great one, delving into the complex question of what or who was it that shaped and formed Ennis into who he was and/or who he thought he was. Very insightful.

The instability and unpredictability as Jackster said imo was indeed a big part of his  emotional growth. IMO both Tony's and Jackster's posts were wonderfully stated along with lamusica's input ., and  they raise even more questions. Earl and Rich did allow Ennis to form a possibility that two men can fall in love and  even go beyond the traditional thinking of the time and actually ranch up together. Ennis remembered them many years later , recalling vividly to Jack, their story. But now he is being called out by Jack, He has been chosen by Jack to love and with all his conflicts, he is choosing, somewhat to love back. In the film, we are shown pieces of his sexuality. On the one hand Ennis thinks of himself as straight, yet he has tendencies that point in a different direction. He also understands by way of Earl and Rich, what Jack is asking. What Jack wants and what that means.  He also knows how Earl and Rich were percieved in their community and in society as a whole. Earl lost his  life violently  in this attempt to defy society. This is the fate, according to his father that awaits men who happen to be gay. IMO, it is the ingrained fear of this that haunted Ennis's ability to show openly his love for Jack.

Was he gay? I don't know, but personally I feel that sexuality is multi-faceted. I don't feel it is a gay/staight  issue as sexuality has many branches attached. Some people fanatize about different forms , only in their mind , while labeling themselves either gay or straight, and some actually freely act upon them, exploring the many facets of sexuality. If one engages in homosexual acts, does that make them homosexual? ( The "whatever floats your boat sydrome") though this may or not be a true test of one's "true" orientation. For example Jack, who seemed to embrace his , engaged in sex with Lureen and fatherd a child, but he only sought out men during his " indiscreet moments"  when Ennis was'nt available. I feel he was searching for something that goes alot deeper, whatever it was, Ennis corvered that for him. Again, no one else was really gonna do.

 Ennis was doing both too, while identifying as a straight male. He fell in LOVE, which makes the difference imo. This went beyond just sexual acts. Jack became a necessity in Ennis's life, a part of Ennis. Did'nt feel complete without him.  He no doubt questioned his sexual ID, especially the scene where he's sitting on the log before SNIT.


  Concerning many people, not all,  catergorizing /lableing is almost a fine line when it comes to one's  sexuality. And what about bi-sexuality?, breifuly explored in earlier posts on the thread?  I don't feel one can really label Ennis, which goes to the complex nature of him just as in all individual humans, but Jack was definitly the key to unlocking him, in many ways.  Thought he said "I aint queer". By now all of us has an opinion on why he said it, as well as why Jack answered "me niether" .

I don't feel Ennis had a problem loving Jack when he is honest with himself, maybe even "outed" himself at certain points, he knew he loved him imo, but there was a fear of loving Jack, from deeply imbeded lessons that served as a warning in his mind. This, Jack could not change this imo , He could only can do so much to "prepare" Ennis,  offer him unconditional love, and  which at some point , Ennis himself is required  to DO something permanent about. It would require him to admit certain truths to himself. Jack's introduction of love to Ennis , brought home to him further, by his own daughter, and Cassie's "falling in love with fun"  presented him with a knowledge of those truths about himself and his love for Jack Twist. Fun? yes Jack was fun, but Jack's love was serious business as he found out.

I often wonder post-Jack, could Ennis ever love again? If he could, would it be man? or woman? or niether? Which  one would he gravitate toward  if givin the choice?, taking in the life's lessons  about loving  himself Jack taught him. This would be a true test of his "orientation" and very telling of Ennis if he hooked up with another man, post-Jack of course.
 Please excuse my long-winded passion and *o) moments, but it's just ...My 5 cents. Thanks.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Dec 21, 2007, 07:49 PM
   Wow.  Aintfoolin--that was great.  Am very surprised that, after being dormant so long, the whole topic is producing so very much.  Maybe
people had time to think and develop new ideas.  Dunno, but this thread is rockin'....
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Dec 21, 2007, 09:50 PM
Ditto Tony, GREAT post Ain'tfoolin.

I am continually amazed at how this short story and unpretentious film can ignite such intelligent and thought provoking discussions about that most basic, yet complex of human emotions, LOVE.

What was Ennis thinking while sitting on that log?
Am I queer?
Do I love Jack?
Does he hate me?
Does he love me?
What do I do?
What am I feeling?

How many gay men (and women) have struggled with these same questions and answers.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Dec 22, 2007, 04:41 AM
Was he gay? I don't know, but personally I feel that sexuality is multi-faceted. I don't feel it is a gay/staight  issue as sexuality has many branches attached.

 Ennis was doing both too, while identifying as a straight male. He fell in LOVE, which makes the difference imo. This went beyond just sexual acts. Jack became a necessity in Ennis's life, a part of Ennis. Did'nt feel complete without him.  He no doubt questioned his sexual ID, especially the scene where he's sitting on the log before SNIT.

I often wonder post-Jack, could Ennis ever love again? If he could, would it be man? or woman? or niether? Which  one would he gravitate toward  if givin the choice?, taking in the life's lessons  about loving  himself Jack taught him. This would be a true test of his "orientation" and very telling of Ennis if he hooked up with another man, post-Jack of course.
 
Brilliant post aintfoolin, I chose a couple of pieces from that. Absolutely agree about sexuality as being multi-faceted, so many branches for sure imo. It really would be interesting if Ennis was to fall in love again wether it would be male, female or just be lonely forever. :s)

Ditto Tony, GREAT post Ain'tfoolin.

I am continually amazed at how this short story and unpretentious film can ignite such intelligent and thought provoking discussions about that most basic, yet complex of human emotions, LOVE.

What was Ennis thinking while sitting on that log? Am I queer?
Do I love Jack?
Does he hate me?
Does he love me?
What do I do?
What am I feeling?

How many gay men (and women) have struggled with these same questions and answers.
Many as well as 'straight' men and women or rather those that identified as being 'straight'.
Love the list, I believe all that would have been messing about in his mind, also 'WHY am I feeling this'.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 22, 2007, 05:47 AM
Thanks Tony and Jackster.

 So many have connected with this film. It has such personal appeal and has an important message. Many of us have been there or see their own lives touched by it and/or because of it. I may appear dormant Tony, but I am a major lurker at times. When I'm not posting as much , I'm lurking for sure.


Jackster,
 Ennis had at least a day to wrestle with the questions you listed ,while still up with the sheep. Then by the time he got down to camp he was still wieghing it all out as he on the log. Perhaps he had come to some terms  with himself over  how he felt about FNIT and was trying to get up the courage to show Jack he wanted more. He kept looking over at the opening of the tent where Jack clearly seen changing or something, but no doubt asking these very questions.

 I'd pay good money to know what he was thinking. We were'nt privy thru the film version as to what transpired, immediatly after he returned to camp, but when he finally "bellies up to the bar" it is one of the most romantic scenes ever produced.

 He knew a line was being crossed that night when he went in but he did go in. And lordy, what did he find when he got there? a half-naked Jack , surprised, but ready, willing and able to answer all his curiosities  without judgement.<^( ;) What's a poor guy like Ennis to do, pray tell? Bottom line ? He liked it. Alot. It felt right the first time and indeed better the second. Gay or not, he liked being with Jack In more ways than one I'm sure.  :cr)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Dec 22, 2007, 09:13 AM
. . . It really would be interesting if Ennis was to fall in love again wether it would be male, female or just be lonely forever.

This may sound really odd, but I can see Ennis truly loving his horse, brushing it, washing it, riding it, talking to it (little darlin'). Almost a surrogate for the departed Jack. Animals are so nonjudgmental I feel Ennis could really connect here and feel a real love.

Many as well as 'straight' men and women or rather those that identified as being 'straight'. . . .
Didn't mean to leave those folks out for sure, it is universal. For homosexuals this inner stirring and these questions about love also bring with them a tide of gut wrenching identity issues, i.e. Who am I? Is this really me? Why?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Marge Innavera on Dec 22, 2007, 02:48 PM
Personally, I don't think Ennis had any tendencies toward homosexuality when he was a child, but I DO think that his father taught him something when he took him to see the battered body of one of the two men who were "ranched up together".  Most children 10 years old or younger, in those days, were not aware that two men or two women could or would love each other physically.  These things were not talked about, and certainly weren't shown on tv or in movies in the 60's.  Most people didn't know what homosexuality was until they were in their teens, or at least that's when my schoolmates and I first became aware of the existence of same-sex love.  So, Ennis's father, by showing him the body, opened his mind to the possibility of two men being life-partners.

My view of that is that if he had no homosexual tendencies, it would have remained just that -- an understanding of a possibility.

I was a child in an era (1950s) when even heterosexual married couples slept in separate twin beds -- at least, that was the impression you got on TV in that era. But all the same, I showed -- and felt -- signs of being heterosexual when I was about five and got a crush on Tommy Reddig, the male lead in the original Lassie series. Tommy was deposed shortly after that when I got a crush on Elvis, and that was followed by a crush on the minister's son down the street, followed by a classroom sweetheart named George.... you get the picture.  :)

This was all at a time when I didn't even know where babies came from, and for several years after that I had the notion that conception was something that took place in the spirit world. But as young as five, I knew that there was something about boys that was interesting to me in a way that girls just weren't. I don't have any problem believing that a kid who's gay would have that same kind of pre-sexual awakening; IMO, the presence of Earl and Rich in the same community might have gotten a few wheels turning on the subconscious level.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 22, 2007, 04:01 PM
  I agree totally with you Marge,  I have shown my ignorance :) :) ;) and asked gay friends , just out of curiosity, when they knew. Most of them answer when they were children. Even as far back as grade school. I myself had sexual fantasys as a  young child in the early 60's When "Leave it to Beaver" was a standard!! We may be shelterd as children from the different forms of sexuality by our parents and society, but it's personal."Age appropriate" discussions are often late comers, some of us already know it feels good by then , just thinking about some one we're attracted to. No instruction manuals needed.

 We may not even understand or be able to talk about it or clearly define it yet as children,  but I feel that basic knowledge of sexuality is indeed formed at a young age. When ya know, ya know. Therefore, I feel it's possible that Ennis knew of his "tendencies" early on, though he could never speak of it or explain them, I feel it at least interested him.

 Earl and Rich may have only confirmed possibilities for him, that what he suspected about himself was not out of the realm of possibility. Maybe he recognized a familiarity there, and equated his feelings with theirs, as much as he understood at the time.

 When he met Jack he knew by then that his feelings were not so farfetched. Brokeback simply provided him the right place, the right time, with the right person to explore this part of himself. Just a thought.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Dec 22, 2007, 06:33 PM
This may sound really odd, but I can see Ennis truly loving his horse, brushing it, washing it, riding it, talking to it (little darlin'). Almost a surrogate for the departed Jack. Animals are so nonjudgmental I feel Ennis could really connect here and feel a real love.
Oh yeah I am sure Ennis could connect with 'love' regardless.

Didn't mean to leave those folks out for sure, it is universal. For homosexuals this inner stirring and these questions about love also bring with them a tide of gut wrenching identity issues, i.e. Who am I? Is this really me? Why?
Yes its universal but I what I meant about the 'straight' questioning is ones such as Ennis who find themselves having to question their identity when they realise without warning or later than others that they have these feelings and this is where I think the many branches of sexuality fit in.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Dec 22, 2007, 08:23 PM
My view of that is that if he had no homosexual tendencies, it would have remained just that -- an understanding of a possibility.

I was a child in an era (1950s) when even heterosexual married couples slept in separate twin beds -- at least, that was the impression you got on TV in that era. But all the same, I showed -- and felt -- signs of being heterosexual when I was about five and got a crush on Tommy Reddig, the male lead in the original Lassie series. Tommy was deposed shortly after that when I got a crush on Elvis, and that was followed by a crush on the minister's son down the street, followed by a classroom sweetheart named George.... you get the picture.  :)

This was all at a time when I didn't even know where babies came from, and for several years after that I had the notion that conception was something that took place in the spirit world. But as young as five, I knew that there was something about boys that was interesting to me in a way that girls just weren't. I don't have any problem believing that a kid who's gay would have that same kind of pre-sexual awakening; IMO, the presence of Earl and Rich in the same community might have gotten a few wheels turning on the subconscious level.


Hi, Marge, and welcome to the forum!
I think we're saying about the same thing.  We're definitely from the same era.  While I think you are saying Ennis may have had homosexual leanings as a child, I'm not denying that as a possibility at all.  It's just that I think, IF HE DIDN'T, seeing what became of Earl and Rich may have opened his mind to the possibility of man/man love.  I don't think the short story nor the film give us any real information on which was the case.  We just have to come up with the possibilities and settle for that in the face of no proof.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Dec 23, 2007, 03:34 PM
Hi, Marge, and welcome to the forum!
I think we're saying about the same thing.  We're definitely from the same era.  While I think you are saying Ennis may have had homosexual leanings as a child, I'm not denying that as a possibility at all.  It's just that I think, IF HE DIDN'T, seeing what became of Earl and Rich may have opened his mind to the possibility of man/man love.  I don't think the short story nor the film give us any real information on which was the case.  We just have to come up with the possibilities and settle for that in the face of no proof.

I´m definitively against lebels in moral,sexual or emotional issues.But if we have to define Ennis as "gay", it´s more than possible that seeing Earl and Rich living together awakes his curiosity about other ways of living sexuality and affection.He wouldn´t know how to define "this thing",but surely he knew it was different and equal at the same time from what he had seen at home-two persons bound for love ties,like his parents,but with the particularity of being two men-.We´ve seen a lot of times before how what is forbidden provokes a desire to know more about this,to know why it´s not as logical and well-seen as the way of living we see at home,why we can´t do this or that...Surely Earl´s death was the beginning of the fears and homophobia that Ennis suffered all his life,but at the same time made him ask to himself what have been the reasons for such a punishment and,more or less consciously,made him feel an  attraction to this so forbidden behaviour.Probably,however,if BBM had not existed Ennis had ben living his "normal" life in a semi-slept state in this sense;but finding Jack,a person who gave him the affection and care he needed and didn´t have when child -beyond pure sexual attraction-made him awake from this sleep.The rest is story...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Dec 24, 2007, 01:35 AM
Great post, Marge.  I guess we always have to take the bad with the good.  It was a good thing that Ennis was awakened to varying kinds of love, but a bad thing that it instilled such fear within him.  Again, a conundrum, like much of life.  Seeing Earl certainly affected Ennis throughout his life in his choices and his actions.  We never know how much we do affects chidlren, but this is a good example.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Dec 26, 2007, 07:19 AM
Ennis spoke of Earl and Rich with a respect he must secretly harbored for them.  He understood what he and Jack had.   It was no suprise, he knew every time lay down with Jack what he was doing, who he was.   

He just didn't want to be another "Joke of the Town". 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 26, 2007, 08:24 AM
Hi, Marge, and welcome to the forum!
I think we're saying about the same thing.  We're definitely from the same era.  While I think you are saying Ennis may have had homosexual leanings as a child, I'm not denying that as a possibility at all.  It's just that I think, IF HE DIDN'T, seeing what became of Earl and Rich may have opened his mind to the possibility of man/man love.  I don't think the short story nor the film give us any real information on which was the case.  We just have to come up with the possibilities and settle for that in the face of no proof.

Your comment about his possible reaction to what became of Earl and Rich intrigues me.  I also considered the possibility that this opened his mind, and if he had some subconscious affinity for this type of love, then it probably resulted in a very complex mixture of feelings upon seeing the fate of Earl.   Perhaps the trauma had more to do with the sudden realization about something within himself that suddenly came to the fore...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 26, 2007, 08:33 AM
Ennis spoke of Earl and Rich with a respect he must secretly harbored for them.  He understood what he and Jack had.   It was no suprise, he knew every time lay down with Jack what he was doing, who he was.   

He just didn't want to be another "Joke of the Town". 

I do think that even as early as the FNIT, Ennis understood how he felt for Jack.  As to Earl and Rich, it was perhaps a mixture of respect and fear of what became of them -- a cautionary tale of sorts.  His respect was tempered by the knowledge that the love they shared relatively openly was not respected by society at large.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Dec 26, 2007, 12:41 PM
I agree that,although Ennis knew quite early what he felt for Jack-perhaps he didn´t know what name had this feeling-, he knew that was something similar to Earl and Ritchie situation.And that this situation and its end carried him to a mix of opossed feelings that perhaps he had much before his knowledge of Jack in a biblical sense...But I also keep on saying that this sad story of his chilhood made him to be atracted and at the same time,repelled for this kind of relationship;he knew that there was "another kind of love" but inmediately he joined with punishment and even death.IMO,I repite,Ennis could have pefectly pass I don´t know if the rest of his life,but a great part of it,with this semi-slept tendences-if he hadn´t met Jack.perhaps another man would have played the same rol-.I don´t know if this is being gay or,at least,feeling something for an only same-sex person-a case that could be sometimes...-.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 26, 2007, 12:59 PM
Whatever latent feelings Ennis had for Jack before the FNIT, it was probably amalgamated with the sense of loneliness that pervaded him.  The need for companionship is usually confused sometimes for deeper feelings within, no?  People sometimes justify this in order not to feel so vulnerable.  And I think this was the case with Ennis.  He probably justified his growing feelings for Jack in a way that harkened back to his own isolation and his need to be loved.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Dec 26, 2007, 01:09 PM
Whatever latent feelings Ennis had for Jack before the FNIT, it was probably amalgamated with the sense of loneliness that pervaded him.  The need for companionship is usually confused sometimes for deeper feelings within, no?  People sometimes justify this in order not to feel so vulnerable.  And I think this was the case with Ennis.  He probably justified his growing feelings for Jack in a way that harkened back to his own isolation and his need to be loved.

Yes,sometimes we love or even fall in love with someone who gives us company and above all,who listens to us when we need to.Perhaps what happenned was only that Jack arrived in the right moment of Ennis vulnerability.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Dec 26, 2007, 01:59 PM
Amazing post Tony!!! Bravo!! I'm dying to know what Andrew, Thomas and the other Brokies have to say!!!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Dec 26, 2007, 05:00 PM
      Thanks, BabyTammy, but I had second thoughts about the post and deleted it.  Didn't want to leave your post hanging, inexplicably,
so, explained why nothing is there.  I really don't feel up to getting into unusual territory---it's just not a good idea.  But......thanks. Tony.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Dec 26, 2007, 05:28 PM
I think that Brokies have something to say about your theory......It was a real good one; It was Ennis in pure state.....

But whatever you do is fine for me; I respect your decisions friend!!!  ^f^ (but I'll be waiting until you post that theory again.....  #) )
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Dec 27, 2007, 08:14 AM
Yes,sometimes we love or even fall in love with someone who gives us company and above all,who listens to us when we need to.Perhaps what happenned was only that Jack arrived in the right moment of Ennis vulnerability.

Or perhaps it was meant to be.  ;)  I believe in fate.  I would even go so far as to say that Ennis was probably looking for Jack all his life -- you know how some of us are very fortunate to connect with an ideal, even if we thought that this was possible only in dreams. 

We can disarm the question of Ennis's gayness by choosing to agree that Ennis was predisposed to love someone like Jack.  It wasn't his choice entirely -- at least not consciously.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Dec 27, 2007, 10:44 AM
I agree with you,as always.But IMO the core of the question would be if it´s necessary to put labels to people´s most intimate feelings and to moral,sexual or emotional issues as we do nowadays,or at least in the measure we do it.Everybody could really fall in love with a same sex person,if he or she arrives in the right moment,in the right place...and if that person answers to the ideal we have.But only learned culture and moral oblige us to hide these sensations,even to ourselves.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Dec 27, 2007, 01:25 PM
Endlessly fascinating to read everyones ideas on this subject. I recently listened to Annie Proulx's radio interview of Jan 19, 2006 (almost two years ago!) and she talks about Ennis's sexuality and what she was trying to accomplish in the SS, and it's pretty much what we all seem to say. She says she tried to show the sliding scale of human sexuality, it's not just black or white but mostly gray, which is certainly where Ennis falls. As you say MPJ it seems almost incidental that Jack was a man, a woman with the same personality characteristics and warmth MAY have been able to achieve the same results with Ennis.

Annie's worthwhile interview can be found at:

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/bw/bw060119annie_proulx (http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/bw/bw060119annie_proulx)

What a wonderful person she sounds to be, how I would love to have coffee with her someday (in my dreams).
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Dec 27, 2007, 05:25 PM
   Jackster--that was one heck of an interview, and presents a dilemma, because it covers so very much, it doesn't fit into a single thread.
But very definitely, this interview did NOT define either of the ranch hands (she makes it clear they were not cowboys) as gay, and she spoke of
sliding scales of sexuality and areas of gray.  And there was so very much we have struggled to understand, and it was already there in this
very early resource.
   She mentions the concept of the wormhole (in physics) and says BBM was like that-the two entered one way and exited another.  She also
said she wanted that knock-down rare love and the universality of love.  I feel every single post I have made in this forum can now be defended
better and am very sorry if that sounds bad, but it's like she's bailed me out of my more difficult statements.
  Including that the characters can take on a life of their own.  She said they did. And she said it was like a strange hand came from heaven
and was guiding her pen.  And she said, she couldn't "kill them off" in the sense of discarding them, when done.  Also, she acknowledged
the writer's subconscious, when she said Heath Ledger had portayed Ennis in ways that had been in her mind and yet never had come out.
  Very important-she said if it was just sex---there was no story.  Thank you, Jackster, for the best damned resource I have come across yet.
Any other statements she may have made at other times, I think may have been wobbling.  Here, there is no gay or straight, just mixed-up
youths who go into a gray zone, undefined, sexually, and (here, my attaching her other sentences), the knock-down love that could happen
to anyone.  Universality of Love, labels not accurate, transformation on the mountain, all there-the issues we have been struggling with.
   Oh, yeah.....she has one beautiful voice.  I could fall in love with that voice.  And here, I had thought she was a grump.
Jackster-----we all owe you one on this.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Dec 27, 2007, 05:42 PM
I agree with you,as always.But IMO the core of the question would be if it´s necessary to put labels to people´s most intimate feelings and to moral,sexual or emotional issues as we do nowadays,or at least in the measure we do it.Everybody could really fall in love with a same sex person,if he or she arrives in the right moment,in the right place...and if that person answers to the ideal we have.But only learned culture and moral oblige us to hide these sensations,even to ourselves.
Totally agree with post, I will comment briefly on the three parts of your posts (imo) Labels - not necessary, fall in love with same sex - yeah for sure, learned culture/hiding these sensations - yep, even to ourselves.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Dec 27, 2007, 05:45 PM
Gosh Tony, my pleasure for sure.
I'm amused by your comment 'bout her being a grump, I bet most "mature" (i.e. older) folks who live in Wyoming for a while probably seem this way to many. The raw reality of the place must strip off a lot a finish and what you're left with is pretty rough sometimes, as her other stories attest to. In some ways I think maybe she secretly aspired to become one of those damn characters from Bad Dirt or sumthin'.

I really liked the wormhole thing too. I think you and LC have been discussing some far-out dimensions in the Synchronicity thread, seems to verge on wormhole stuff. Plus "wormhole" has a kinda' nasty somewhat sexual ring to it (guess I got a dirty mind). Also smiled at her statement 'bout everybody sees the "hats and boots" and says oh yeah, cowboys! Nope, they're ranch hands, sheepherders, bottom of the ladder. Anyway, glad you liked it, how wonderful an age when we get to sit and quietly listen to a simple genius talk in our own living rooms.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Dec 28, 2007, 01:22 AM
Endlessly fascinating to read everyones ideas on this subject. I recently listened to Annie Proulx's radio interview of Jan 19, 2006 (almost two years ago!) and she talks about Ennis's sexuality and what she was trying to accomplish in the SS, and it's pretty much what we all seem to say. She says she tried to show the sliding scale of human sexuality, it's not just black or white but mostly gray, which is certainly where Ennis falls. As you say MPJ it seems almost incidental that Jack was a man, a woman with the same personality characteristics and warmth MAY have been able to achieve the same results with Ennis.

Annie's worthwhile interview can be found at:

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/bw/bw060119annie_proulx (http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/bw/bw060119annie_proulx)

What a wonderful person she sounds to be, how I would love to have coffee with her someday (in my dreams).

Thanks for the reference Jackster. I tried it but it gave me a "resource not found error". Perhaps the file got deleted or moved. Fortunately, Tony gave a fairly long summary. I trust his usually carefulness gave a complete summary.  ;)

   Jackster--that was one heck of an interview, and presents a dilemma, because it covers so very much, it doesn't fit into a single thread.
But very definitely, this interview did NOT define either of the ranch hands (she makes it clear they were not cowboys) as gay, and she spoke of
sliding scales of sexuality and areas of gray.  And there was so very much we have struggled to understand, and it was already there in this
very early resource.
   She mentions the concept of the wormhole (in physics) and says BBM was like that-the two entered one way and exited another.  [...]
  Including that the characters can take on a life of their own.  She said they did. And she said it was like a strange hand came from heaven and was guiding her pen.  And she said, she couldn't "kill them off" in the sense of discarding them, when done.  Also, she acknowledged
the writer's subconscious, when she said Heath Ledger had portayed Ennis in ways that had been in her mind and yet never had come out.
  Very important-she said if it was just sex---there was no story.  Thank you, Jackster, for the best damned resource I have come across yet.
[...]
Jackster-----we all owe you one on this.

I love the idea of Annie using wormhole to describe what happened to Ennis and Jack on Brokeback Mountain. Jackster's crowding me in the gutter notwithstanding  ;) , the wormhole is a place where the ordinary laws of physics do not apply. And the gray area that is discussed here can be the probabilistic wave function of human sexuality. It all depends on the circumstances and how the person is loved, before the sexuality manifest itself one way or another, or both. Nothing is deterministic.

Also, I love Annie's persistence to remind us that the greatest love story is about two lowly unattractive (in the original short story) ranch hands sheep herders. Not the Marlboro men. She is saying that love, can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. It is a force of nature, not a manufactured product from Hollywood. Having said that, she also admits the triumph of Brokeback Mountain, when Larry McMurtry, Diana Ossana, James Schamus, Ang Lee, and Heath Ledger went beyond the short story to bring forth Ennis Del Mar. She is an amazing woman.

And, finally, I wonder, what it must have been like, to write the short story, when "a strange hand from heaven came down to guide her pen". It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Thanks, Jackster.

 :ghug: :c)




Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Dec 28, 2007, 06:10 AM
I may get grief for this, but there is a almost Tennessee Williams sense to  the story.   The character of Brick and his friendship with Skipper, in the play "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".  Brick and Skipper complete opposite of Jack and Ennis, but basically dealing with same thing a friendship that unexpectedly turns into a need for each other.  It left both Ennis and Brick dealing consequences when their friend are suddenly taken away from them, guilt and acceptance.   

Both men feared being labeled, but Ennis consummated his love, wheres Brick turns away from it.  The sliding scale of sexuality can be so delicate,  so unexpected either succumb to it , or desperately replace the need, in Brick's case he drank waiting for the "click".   Ennis with  "out in the middle of nowhere", where he stayed most of his life.   Mendacity, now I understand how it plays a part in both stories. 

Am I making any kind of sense to you?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Dec 28, 2007, 06:16 AM
Also, I love Annie's persistence to remind us that the greatest love story is about two lowly unattractive (in the original short story) ranch hands sheep herders. Not the Marlboro men. She is saying that love, can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. It is a force of nature, not a manufactured product from Hollywood.

I agree 200% with this!!! Beautifully written Andrew!!!  :clap:  :clap: That's how it truly was!!! They were regular guys with their faults and virtues that were madly in love; not Marlboro men, not super heros. And of course BBM is a touching love story beyond beautiful, not a gay cowboy film. It was about love not about humans' sexual condition.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Dec 28, 2007, 11:24 PM
I may get grief for this, but there is a almost Tennessee Williams sense to  the story.   The character of Brick and his friendship with Skipper, in the play "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".  Brick and Skipper complete opposite of Jack and Ennis, but basically dealing with same thing a friendship that unexpectedly turns into a need for each other.  It left both Ennis and Brick dealing consequences when their friend are suddenly taken away from them, guilt and acceptance.   

Both men feared being labeled, but Ennis consummated his love, wheres Brick turns away from it.  The sliding scale of sexuality can be so delicate,  so unexpected either succumb to it , or desperately replace the need, in Brick's case he drank waiting for the "click".   Ennis with  "out in the middle of nowhere", where he stayed most of his life.   Mendacity, now I understand how it plays a part in both stories. 

Am I making any kind of sense to you?


Yup. You always make sense, manhattangirl, and more than that, you always illuminate the dark areas in my mind, with insights I never thought of.

Mendacity indeed. Your little tale about Tennessee Williams "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" is so perfect. It reminds me of Jack's drinking, and the sound bite phrases from the trailer, the lies we have to tell... When Ennis told his first lie to Alma, about Jack being a fishing buddy...the chord that sound was exactly the same one as the first chord in the movie, when the truck came down the road to Signal. The whole movie is about dealing with love, whether truthfully as Jack hoped to do with Ennis, or mendaciously as Ennis did, and as Jack did with Lureen.

Living Brokeback Mountain is to face the truth.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ragtimecowboy on Dec 30, 2007, 08:20 PM
Good point, stacp. Ennis wouldn't have fantasies about other men because that would be a "queer" thing to do and he isn't queer in his own mind. I think  too he's a faithful sort of guy - he was engaged to Alma before he met Jack and stays with her despite everything - she's the one who leaves him. And he's faithful to Jack in the sense that he's never involved with another man, and doesn't apparently get far with Cassie.

  Ennis was basically in self-denial. He married Alma out of his sense of duty to what was socially expected all the while hating himself knowing that in his heart it was Jack, a man, that he truly loved. No he wouldn't leave Alma because that would be shirking his duty. His marriage was a loveless sham and basically passionless. Only Jack could set him on fire. He wasn't interested in Cassie other than for freindship.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Dec 30, 2007, 08:36 PM
I have enjoyed reading some of the recent posts on this thread.  In my mind I have probably wavered back and forth between Ennis being gay or str8 and in love with Jack.  I'm not sure if I will draw a final conclusion anytime soon.  One thing is for certain...I have no doubts about his devotion to Jack.  Ennis did not seek companionship from another man.  As stated earlier, Jack was the only man...person with whom he felt alive.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Dec 31, 2007, 10:08 PM
...
I think your absolutely right, Ennis's father planted the seeds, or at least watered them, by making such a big deal about E & R and this male relationship. It allowed Ennis to realize his feelings in way that he may never had achieved without this gruesome introduction, of course it also tied his inner self into an incredibly tight knot. A knot that only Jack Twist could then undo.

I love this discussion, factoring in Ennis's dad's attitude toward Rich and Earl into Ennis's early development.  It might have been very different on Brokeback if he had developed no negative connotation about men together when he was young.  Assuming he didn't have "gay" feelings from a young age, if he had learned about homosexuality gradually as a teen, as does seem to be most common, and considered himself straight, then who knows how he might have reacted to Jack's coming on to him.

I just love what I bolded, what you said, Jackster.  He was indeed all tied up inside...until Jack.  Actually, until after Jack was gone.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Dec 31, 2007, 10:17 PM
Ditto Tony, GREAT post Ain'tfoolin.

I am continually amazed at how this short story and unpretentious film can ignite such intelligent and thought provoking discussions about that most basic, yet complex of human emotions, LOVE.

What was Ennis thinking while sitting on that log?
Am I queer?
Do I love Jack?
Does he hate me?
Does he love me?
What do I do?
What am I feeling?

How many gay men (and women) have struggled with these same questions and answers.


Love this, jackster, the musings of Ennis outside the tent.  I would also add that he would be thinking about the fact that he if he goes in there, then it was not just a one-time thing (FNIT).  What does it mean if I go in there and we have sex?  I can't say it was just a drunken act.  Perhaps he was also wondering if he would actually know what to do (since he's in his right mind this night, not drunk).  He might be wondering if Jack would want to f*ck him, and might be nervous about that...  He did go in there and let Jack take the lead, so perhaps he was open to letting Jack do whatever he wanted to do...and anyway, we don't know what went on that night...

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Dec 31, 2007, 10:55 PM
Love this, jackster, the musings of Ennis outside the tent.  I would also add that he would be thinking about the fact that he if he goes in there, then it was not just a one-time thing (FNIT).  What does it mean if I go in there and we have sex?  I can't say it was just a drunken act.  Perhaps he was also wondering if he would actually know what to do (since he's in his right mind this night, not drunk).  He might be wondering if Jack would want to f*ck him, and might be nervous about that...  He did go in there and let Jack take the lead, so perhaps he was open to letting Jack do whatever he wanted to do...and anyway, we don't know what went on that night...

Very interesting discussion here.  One thing is for certain...it was obvious Ennis was a man wrestling with a lot of questions.  I guess he decided to seek answers later because his desire to be with Jack put aside those questions.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Jan 01, 2008, 10:40 PM
Jackster's signature made me think of something.  ...we get to drinking and talking and all...[/]

Ennis says this to Alma as he's leaving with Jack, but whats odd about it is, I'm sure he and Alma never "get to talking." 

In line with what we've been talking about here, whether Ennis was inclined to ever act on any sexual feelings toward men, it was a sweet camaraderie he found with Jack, developing into love.  My heart always just swells for Ennis when I think of him finding this man who he could talk to, who really cared about him.  Maybe he just didn't have any real friends when younger (though why wouldn't he have?) and his brother was too much older maybe for them to have heart-to-heart talks, etc.  Maybe, he had confused feelings ever since the Rich and Earl incident, and was afraid to reveal too much of himself.  Besides being just a naturally keep-to-himself boy and young man.

So, it was certainly love, if not homosexuality.  Some "gay" people could love someone of the same gender and it not be sexual.  But I guess that would be "homoemotional," not "homosexual."  Gladly, they were randy, hormonal young men, and sex did enter into the picture...

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 02, 2008, 09:39 AM
I may get grief for this, but there is a almost Tennessee Williams sense to  the story.   The character of Brick and his friendship with Skipper, in the play "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".  Brick and Skipper complete opposite of Jack and Ennis, but basically dealing with same thing a friendship that unexpectedly turns into a need for each other.  It left both Ennis and Brick dealing consequences when their friend are suddenly taken away from them, guilt and acceptance.   

Both men feared being labeled, but Ennis consummated his love, wheres Brick turns away from it.  The sliding scale of sexuality can be so delicate,  so unexpected either succumb to it , or desperately replace the need, in Brick's case he drank waiting for the "click".   Ennis with  "out in the middle of nowhere", where he stayed most of his life.   Mendacity, now I understand how it plays a part in both stories. 

Am I making any kind of sense to you?


Yes, what you say makes sense to me.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 02, 2008, 09:44 AM
I love this discussion, factoring in Ennis's dad's attitude toward Rich and Earl into Ennis's early development.  It might have been very different on Brokeback if he had developed no negative connotation about men together when he was young.  Assuming he didn't have "gay" feelings from a young age, if he had learned about homosexuality gradually as a teen, as does seem to be most common, and considered himself straight, then who knows how he might have reacted to Jack's coming on to him.

I just love what I bolded, what you said, Jackster.  He was indeed all tied up inside...until Jack.  Actually, until after Jack was gone.

kathy

The knot is an apt metaphor -- even for Ennis's sexuality.  Like Gordian's, perhaps the best solution is through it.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 02, 2008, 09:48 AM
So, it was certainly love, if not homosexuality.  Some "gay" people could love someone of the same gender and it not be sexual.  But I guess that would be "homoemotional," not "homosexual."  Gladly, they were randy, hormonal young men, and sex did enter into the picture...

kathy

This could be so difficult to find these days, especially when we talk about openly gay young men in the cities. 

In the case of Ennis and Jack, I do think that their love was homoemotional as much as it would be considered homosexual.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Jan 02, 2008, 10:29 AM
This could be so difficult to find these days, especially when we talk about openly gay young men in the cities. 

In the case of Ennis and Jack, I do think that their love was homoemotional as much as it would be considered homosexual.

Completely agree.As a friend of mine said,the focus is not on sex;this is only a way to love and be loved.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 03, 2008, 08:12 AM
Completely agree.As a friend of mine said,the focus is not on sex;this is only a way to love and be loved.

MPJ, you sort of echoed what I said in the other thread --  that sex is just a part of the whole, although it may be the catalyst for the deeper stuff that may come after.

I do know that with some people, friendship and familiarity come first before the physical and the sexual.  However, I really think that it is rarer that there no initial spark of attraction, even if that attraction may be subcounscious/subliminal.  In the matter of Ennis, I do think there was physical attraction from the start, although it was most likely not something that he was conscious about.  It touched on fundamental sexuality, and not on just appearances.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Jan 05, 2008, 10:15 PM
MPJ, you sort of echoed what I said in the other thread --  that sex is just a part of the whole, although it may be the catalyst for the deeper stuff that may come after.

I do know that with some people, friendship and familiarity come first before the physical and the sexual.  However, I really think that it is rarer that there no initial spark of attraction, even if that attraction may be subcounscious/subliminal.  In the matter of Ennis, I do think there was physical attraction from the start, although it was most likely not something that he was conscious about.  It touched on fundamental sexuality, and not on just appearances.


I agree, Thomas.  If Ennis had not felt a sexual spark, then Jack would have been just some guy who he really liked, a friend he was glad to find.  A good friend like that, who he could open up to, would have been treasure enough, for a boy like Ennis, but it obviously was much more than that.  And Jack certainly had a lot to do with that, beginning with the posturing the first time they met, with the more vivacious personality he had, to draw Ennis out.  Just think if the other guy on Brokeback that summer had been a guy just like Ennis.  They'd have gotten nowhere most likely; even if there was a spark, it probably would have been seriously tamped down.  Except, of course, the getting-drunk thing does tend to make such things happen, whether they would have in their sober state or not.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Jan 06, 2008, 08:07 AM
 Sometimes I feel Ennis felt he had to over-compensate his masculinity ( "I aint queer") on an unconcious level, because he knew deep inside, he was attracted to Jack, but if he was completly straight, no matter how right the conditions were to dally in sexual acts with another man, could he have let things go as far as they did with Jack? He had a male "ego" without being egotistical with Jack. Even felt homophobic toward gay men. Now here he was , faced with those very feelings himself toward Jack.

Could he have been resisting  the undeniable truth within himself as well as Jack in  that little struggle  in FNIT? He knew something "queer" was gonna happen at that point, just did'nt know what ,yet when he realized Jack meant business, he eventually  gave in to the advances, whereas, if he was a typical completly straight  man of his times, and not "open" to any of this ,he would have laid Jack out and left the tent immediatley in disgust. Maybe even left the mountain, but something deeper was happening to him cuz  This is not what happened.

 Perhaps  Ennis's expectations were not so out of the blue concerning sex with Jack. Maybe he longed for Jack to take the initiative, something he could never do. What I got from the scene is Jack breaking down the last vestiges of doubt in Ennis that he may have had about his sexual attraction to him. Ennis had  to step over his own line in the sand to get to Jack. I suppose Jack felt he had Ennis *figured out* or defined somewhat  if only, to a limited extent.. His "ready or not, your doin this" attitude took courage, but I think Ennis was pretty much involved with Jack  already and wanted to express it in some way.
Jack simply gave him that opportunity and  in doing so ,a definition for what he was feeling.  Did this make him completly gay?  still don't know but I feel he was'nt completly straight either. Complex ? No doubt. My take.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lachlan on Jan 07, 2008, 07:53 AM
Historically and culturally,  the concepts of "gay" and "straight",  even "bi-sexual" are quite recent innovations and largely restricted to the Judaeo-Christian-Muslim world.   Other societies recognise, or at least assume,  that every human being has the potential to enjoy sex with someone of the same sex.   And even in this society,  it is far more common for men to dally with one another (even when their primary drive is towards women) in the right circumstances than the Establishment cares to admit.   The plot of BBM is genuine;  I know this both from numerous personal experiences and through anecdotal evidence.   Classifying people according to their sexual preference is too easy and has little to do with reality.  For Ennis,  there is a mythical "queer" who bears a set of stereotypical traits and who fundamentally responds sexually to other men,  but not to women.   Ennis knows himself to be attracted to women and knows himself to be free of the stereotypical characteristics which identify a "queer".   So his remark "I ain't queer" must be stated in order to absolve himself of any such identity;  "This is a one-shot thing" suggests he intends to play around in the absence of any females (like masturbating when there's no sexual outlet available),  but not make a habit of it thereafter.  I've had numerous sexual experiences over the years with self-proclaimed "straight" men who were happy to roll in the hay with another fellow,  so long as it was made clear that no-one else must know and that no negative label be applied to their identity.   I know of so very, very many examples of this that I believe Annie Proulx revealed a deep truth about human practice in that short,  simple story.  Ennis is only human.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Jan 07, 2008, 08:09 AM
lachian, this is a very intelligent, clear, and concise explanation of some important aspects of this topic.
Kudos for a really well put post.
 O0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 07, 2008, 08:38 AM
I agree, Thomas.  If Ennis had not felt a sexual spark, then Jack would have been just some guy who he really liked, a friend he was glad to find.  A good friend like that, who he could open up to, would have been treasure enough, for a boy like Ennis, but it obviously was much more than that.  And Jack certainly had a lot to do with that, beginning with the posturing the first time they met, with the more vivacious personality he had, to draw Ennis out.  Just think if the other guy on Brokeback that summer had been a guy just like Ennis.  They'd have gotten nowhere most likely; even if there was a spark, it probably would have been seriously tamped down.  Except, of course, the getting-drunk thing does tend to make such things happen, whether they would have in their sober state or not.

kathy

Thanks kathy.  Sexual attraction is a powerful thing.  In the case of Ennis, I am sure it was there from the start, even though it was all "under the hood", so to speak.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 07, 2008, 08:45 AM
Sometimes I feel Ennis felt he had to over-compensate his masculinity ( "I aint queer") on an unconcious level, because he knew deep inside, he was attracted to Jack, but if he was completly straight, no matter how right the conditions were to dally in sexual acts with another man, could he have let things go as far as they did with Jack? He had a male "ego" without being egotistical with Jack. Even felt homophobic toward gay men. Now here he was , faced with those very feelings himself toward Jack.

Could he have been resisting  the undeniable truth within himself as well as Jack in  that little struggle  in FNIT? He knew something "queer" was gonna happen at that point, just did'nt know what ,yet when he realized Jack meant business, he eventually  gave in to the advances, whereas, if he was a typical completly straight  man of his times, and not "open" to any of this ,he would have laid Jack out and left the tent immediatley in disgust. Maybe even left the mountain, but something deeper was happening to him cuz  This is not what happened.

 Perhaps  Ennis's expectations were not so out of the blue concerning sex with Jack. Maybe he longed for Jack to take the initiative, something he could never do. What I got from the scene is Jack breaking down the last vestiges of doubt in Ennis that he may have had about his sexual attraction to him. Ennis had  to step over his own line in the sand to get to Jack. I suppose Jack felt he had Ennis *figured out* or defined somewhat  if only, to a limited extent.. His "ready or not, your doin this" attitude took courage, but I think Ennis was pretty much involved with Jack  already and wanted to express it in some way.
Jack simply gave him that opportunity and  in doing so ,a definition for what he was feeling.  Did this make him completly gay?  still don't know but I feel he was'nt completly straight either. Complex ? No doubt. My take.

I do agree that there was a big part of Ennis that resisted his own attraction to Jack.  I also seemed to feel that Ennis was just waiting for Jack to make the first move -- his taking the initiative in the FNIT seems to suggest that he just needed a little push. 

I go also agree that perhaps Jack had thought he had figured Ennis out by the time of FNIT.  But I somehow sense that even Jack was surprised at the very strong reaction he got from Ennis.  Ennis at that point exhibited all the classic signs of repressed desire, no?

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 07, 2008, 09:06 AM
Historically and culturally,  the concepts of "gay" and "straight",  even "bi-sexual" are quite recent innovations and largely restricted to the Judaeo-Christian-Muslim world.   Other societies recognise, or at least assume,  that every human being has the potential to enjoy sex with someone of the same sex.   And even in this society,  it is far more common for men to dally with one another (even when their primary drive is towards women) in the right circumstances than the Establishment cares to admit.   The plot of BBM is genuine;  I know this both from numerous personal experiences and through anecdotal evidence.   Classifying people according to their sexual preference is too easy and has little to do with reality.  For Ennis,  there is a mythical "queer" who bears a set of stereotypical traits and who fundamentally responds sexually to other men,  but not to women.   Ennis knows himself to be attracted to women and knows himself to be free of the stereotypical characteristics which identify a "queer".   So his remark "I ain't queer" must be stated in order to absolve himself of any such identity;  "This is a one-shot thing" suggests he intends to play around in the absence of any females (like masturbating when there's no sexual outlet available),  but not make a habit of it thereafter.  I've had numerous sexual experiences over the years with self-proclaimed "straight" men who were happy to roll in the hay with another fellow,  so long as it was made clear that no-one else must know and that no negative label be applied to their identity.   I know of so very, very many examples of this that I believe Annie Proulx revealed a deep truth about human practice in that short,  simple story.  Ennis is only human.

I agree up to a point.  Historically, although sexual broundaries have been more fluid at various epochs, one always confronted distinctions and classifications -- there has never really been a time when such things have been free of qualifications.

The Romans certainly distinguished between that pathic and the active roles, and they made VERY strong social distinctions as to the societal implications surrounding each one.   And the fragments from The Satyricon of Petronius Arbiter as well as the famous Satire 2 of Juvenal make plain the wealth of distinctions that the Romans made in matters pertaining to homosexuality.

The Chinese have always strongly classified gayness as a distinct sexual preference, because the Confucians had always considered the homosexual act as a waste of the vital sexual energy in the form of semen (although the Taoists never really shared this, believeing that it was staying power and the act of orgasm that mattered the most.)

It is a common claim that such distinctions are basically Judeo-Christian.   This is not at all accurate, as the Japanese, as early as the 10th century, already had such distinctions.   I think this claim is confused with the fact that homosexuality was connected to the concept of sin and uncleanliness in Judeo-Christian thought.  But it is very clear that Paul, the Apostle of the Gentiles, accepted a certain segment of the population as distinctly gay, as is obvious in this passage from his Letter to the Romans:

"For this reason God gave them over to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged the natural sexual relations for unnatural ones, and likewise the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed in their passions for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in themselves the due penalty for their error."

What scholars have always claimed was that sexuality was indeed much more fluid in certain cultures and in certain periods of history -- but very few of them would go so far as to claim that distinctions approximating gayness, straightness, and bisexuality never existed.  Such distinctions have always existed, even though the 19th and 20th century terms we use today were called different things in earlier times.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Jan 07, 2008, 08:16 PM
Historically and culturally,  the concepts of "gay" and "straight",  even "bi-sexual" are quite recent innovations and largely restricted to the Judaeo-Christian-Muslim world.   Other societies recognise, or at least assume,  that every human being has the potential to enjoy sex with someone of the same sex.   And even in this society,  it is far more common for men to dally with one another (even when their primary drive is towards women) in the right circumstances than the Establishment cares to admit.   The plot of BBM is genuine;  I know this both from numerous personal experiences and through anecdotal evidence.   Classifying people according to their sexual preference is too easy and has little to do with reality.  For Ennis,  there is a mythical "queer" who bears a set of stereotypical traits and who fundamentally responds sexually to other men,  but not to women.   Ennis knows himself to be attracted to women and knows himself to be free of the stereotypical characteristics which identify a "queer".   So his remark "I ain't queer" must be stated in order to absolve himself of any such identity;  "This is a one-shot thing" suggests he intends to play around in the absence of any females (like masturbating when there's no sexual outlet available),  but not make a habit of it thereafter.  I've had numerous sexual experiences over the years with self-proclaimed "straight" men who were happy to roll in the hay with another fellow,  so long as it was made clear that no-one else must know and that no negative label be applied to their identity.   I know of so very, very many examples of this that I believe Annie Proulx revealed a deep truth about human practice in that short,  simple story.  Ennis is only human.

 I agree , Ennis was only being human. I feel he can only be defined as that , but feel homosexuality is nothing new. The way it is defined or accepted  historically in different cultures is a testament to the many facets of human sexuality, wether it's straight, gay or bi. It is true that the concepts or definition of them may evolve and change through the centuries  but that does not lessen the fact that Gays have always been here and that human beings  will do whatever it takes to conform to  their sexual preferences, no matter how it's percieved by it's society.

Indeed, Ennis falls some where within the many branches of human sexuality that I spoke of earlier on the thread. Some choose to act upon  or "experiment" with other forms of sexual behavior , while firmly labeling themselves gay or straight. This includes the "self-proclaimed " "straight "men  you speak of. Men such as Jack who pre-dominitly seek out men for gratification , but can even he,  be labled  totally homosexual and still have sexual relations with Lureen? Lableing  or catergorizing,is  only for definitive purposes  in someone's individual mind.  Does'nt necessarily serve as a good measure of someone's true orientation. As opporunity presents ifself, some people will take it.Gay , bi,or straight.

The fact that Ennis fell in love with Jack to me is the true measure of one's preferences. It went so much more deeper than just sex for Ennis. It was a total soul search for  identity , sexual being  only a part . ( a big part, yes but it was only a part of what Ennis found in Jack).  What ever fulfilled this desperate need in him , complicated as he may be to read, it was clear that Jack Twist was at the bottom of  it for Ennis.  An apex point or dividing line btween Ennis's past way of thinking about homosexuality, and all that that entails and a new awakening to his  future feelings of it thru Jack. He coulda kept Alma or even Cassie for sure, he chose Jack.

 He fought it yes, but, I think it was Jack, and only Jack who allowed Ennis to be who he really was completly. The only person he could personally take inward comfortably.  He just happens to be another man.A true soulmate. This, I feel made the difference in the way Ennis may have wanted to see himself for society's sake ,and what he needed to feel for his own.  The confrontation scene shows the depth of his need for Jack and the fear he had of loosing him.
 Was Ennis Gay? Still don't know, but these are  only MO.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 08, 2008, 12:53 AM
Historically and culturally,  the concepts of "gay" and "straight",  even "bi-sexual" are quite recent innovations and largely restricted to the Judaeo-Christian-Muslim world.   Other societies recognise, or at least assume,  that every human being has the potential to enjoy sex with someone of the same sex.   And even in this society,  it is far more common for men to dally with one another (even when their primary drive is towards women) in the right circumstances than the Establishment cares to admit.   The plot of BBM is genuine;  I know this both from numerous personal experiences and through anecdotal evidence.   Classifying people according to their sexual preference is too easy and has little to do with reality.  For Ennis,  there is a mythical "queer" who bears a set of stereotypical traits and who fundamentally responds sexually to other men,  but not to women.   Ennis knows himself to be attracted to women and knows himself to be free of the stereotypical characteristics which identify a "queer".   So his remark "I ain't queer" must be stated in order to absolve himself of any such identity;  "This is a one-shot thing" suggests he intends to play around in the absence of any females (like masturbating when there's no sexual outlet available),  but not make a habit of it thereafter.  I've had numerous sexual experiences over the years with self-proclaimed "straight" men who were happy to roll in the hay with another fellow,  so long as it was made clear that no-one else must know and that no negative label be applied to their identity.   I know of so very, very many examples of this that I believe Annie Proulx revealed a deep truth about human practice in that short,  simple story.  Ennis is only human.


 (:)  :clap:  :t) Lachlan, I have refrained posting in this topic because I fail to see the relevance of putting a label on Ennis, or Jack for that matter, to the love they experienced on Brokeback Mountain. Annie Proulx herself said in that interview that she views Brokeback Mountain as a kind of wormhole in space where the two cowboys entered as straight men or at least men of indeterminate sexual orientation, and left as lovers. The important issue here is not what labels to apply to them, before or after, and it doesn't really matter if they fell in love at first sight, or during the bear scene, the fire scene, whatever. The important issue here, in my humble opinion, is that any human being is capable of falling in love in the right circumstances with another human being, regardless of their sex, color, creed, etc.

Love is a force of nature that disregards any human labels.

Romeo and Juliet fell victims to labels of their family name.

Ennis and Jack fell victims to labels of their sex or orientation.

No one should be judged by a label because labels are inherently approximation of the real person, who has more dimensions than any single label can describe.

True, we all belong to some "pick your label here" community. It does not mean that "pick your label here" describes us in any precise way. To use a label as the description for a person is to miss out on all the rest of that person which does NOT fall under that label. Ennis is not just gay. Not in the same sense that the fab four are gay. To say that Ennis is gay, and there fore..."pick your corollary here" is missing the point of Brokeback Mountain's Greatness in telling a classic love story between two soul mates, of any sex.

Just my rant and rave...in my HUMBLE but passionate opinions of the best movie ever.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Jan 08, 2008, 05:43 AM
I totally agree with you, L Cowboy, Indeed I feel that one can search forever and fail to come up with a lable or category to fit Ennis or Jack. Only that they are human.

Yet ,I find the topic intriguing. pre- Jack Ennis  is only a product of homophobic teachings, and a fear of going against what society deems "normal" sexual behavior for a man..  Ennis paid a  high price trying to constantly conform to rules , set down by some one else's (mainly society's) idea of what "normal" is.  Only a fear of the unknown and surely  compounded by the experience of Earl and Rich.

It's also a study in human sexuality with Ennis going from point A , homophobic, to point B, in love with another man ,Jack. so he questions his sexuality, , had he had a different upbring, maybe he would'nt have made such a mountain out of a molehill.

  Wether ya  call it a force of nature, an acceptance of one's self  and other's  god-givin right to  love as one  believes, or  an unresolved  un-natural phenomenon  , plagued by homophobic reasoning , strict religious hang-ups , culture, shame and fear, etc.... we can only speculate.

 Imo it is only post-Jack did we see  one of the true lesson of  the film." to thine own self , be true" Go figure, again it's complex, but a  very , very interesting discussion/debate. MO .Thanx
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 08, 2008, 08:12 AM
As I have said very early in this thread, there is nothing wrong with a label -- it is what people make of it that makes all the difference.  "Gayness" as a label was always meant to be taken as a positive, acceptable term for sexual identity (as opposed to the derogatory terms of "queer" and "fag", or "pansy boy" as some of the ancient Romans would have it), and it still surprises me of how many people have developed a dislike for it.  Historically, the abbhorence is rooted in the reactions of certain homophobic segments of society in the 60s and 70s, who resented the sexual revolution, particularly when it applied to homosexuality.  It was THIS group that attached the ideas of effeminateness, enervation, and promiscuity to the positive term of "gayness".  I find it unfortunate that their efforts seem to have been partially successful.

We can disagree in this, but the dialogue is fascinating.  Keep up the exchange.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 08, 2008, 01:16 PM
   These last 3 posts have been very interesting, and enough to get me willing to get into it, although,  this time from a different perspective.
Lance's post, based on that interview with Annie, is closest to my own beliefs-they entered the wormhole straight, left, as lovers, with their
sexuality difficult to label.  But I notice that Aintfoolin, with all her intuition about Ennis, leaves the matter---unsetttled, and that is courageous
when that character is one about whom she has very strong opinions and insights.
   So, let me take this up from a different direction.  And that is the fundamental strangeness that the question is asked at all.  Let alone,
continuing as one of the liveliest topics on this and other forums.  How could that be?  Think about it---doesn't make sense, that the question
would even come up.  That it does, has to mean something, and will try a little, there.
  Ugh.  Literary theories.  Double-ugh.  Yet one says that, in great works of art, the characters take over from the author's original glimpse
and develop--themselves.  Perhaps this was part of Annie's saying a hand from heaven seemed to be guiding her pen.  Ennis wanted to stay
generically straight, and so--he did, with no interest in any other males but Jack.  He defined himself, and that left Annie unable to come up
with any Randall's for Ennis.  Wouldn't fit her original glimpse, or sighting of him.
  Next, there still did remain a vagueness, a lack of information, that allows 2 opposite theories to emerge.  That's not a problem-that's GREAT!!!!
Wheeee!!!  It means we can derive a theory that explores homophobia so pervasive, it crippled a "gay" Ennis, and explore that, and it means
we can also derive a theory that loneliness and love can be so great that a male can find one and only one lover, and that can transcend
sexual orientation and leave the basics unaltered.  And that second view is equally rich with giving us more freedom, more tolerance.
  As I said, like Lance, I find Annie's interview definitive, and like him, I can move past it to the great love itself.  But whatever anyone thinks,
on this subject,  the fact that the question is even asked- was Ennis gay?--should tell us all, that the issue isn't settled, and is part of the
creative tension necessary to a work of art.  It does, and will continue to produce, a wealth of questions we need to ask.  It isn't a division
amongst us so much as a prodding to continue thinking, and learning.  All these posts above reflect that.
  The only problem I see, is if you get wedded to a particular answer based on what you WANT the answer to be, for a personal agenda, and
yes, I have seen that, and am trying to avoid that in myself.  Am happy to see that so many of the posts here, avoid that trap.  Lance
avoided it by accepting Annie's previously unknown definition and moving to the great love itself.  Aintfoolin did extremely well in keeping an
open mind, considering she knows Ennis like the back of her hand, and Thomas always is careful to respect everyone's point of view.
Great posts.  But my contribution is just this-we're still asking the question, and that, in itself, should tell us something.  It isn't settled, and
maybe isn't meant to be. We're supposed to keep digging.  It's the only way we will learn.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 08, 2008, 01:45 PM
I will say for the record that I don't think Proulx implied as much as what is generally stated by a number of us here.  Here is the full section of that interview cited by lance:

Quote
MS—All sorts of friends have been asking me as a so-called literary expert and I said the difference between the story and the film is that when I read the story I found myself in tears, and when I saw the film I found that the film had made me cry, there was some kind of movie sadness sauce, that somehow got pulled over the material, whereas the story is written in somewhat of a stoic way of these men, it’s not insisting that you feel anything in particular, and as a result, my emotions just leaked out of me.. it came as a real startlement to me.

AP–I am very happy to hear that. Because it means that the thing works, the way that I hoped it would work, that for the reader what’s inside is necessary to complete the story and feel it out, and put a meaning in it. The place was very important to me, too as I was writing. The place is always important to me, everything I write—you know I write about rural situations but «Brokeback Mountain» itself, the idea of using the mountain as what they call inside in science-fiction “ a wormhole” where two characters go in and they come out differently. This was the thing that I wanted to play with from the beginning and I think it worked.

As you can see, the context of Proulx's statement is NOT at all specific to sexuality.  You can certainly interpret it more specifically -- that way a number of us here have specifically applied it to Ennis's and Jack's sexuality.  But Proulx certainly did not state it definitively this way.  The context of the statement is about the transforming power of the Mountain, about the power of place to change things in ways that we never thought possible.  I for one have always read this statement this way: that Brokeback allowed each of them to discover who they really were, so that they spent the next 20 years trying to capture the full meaning that was much easier for either of them to grasp in the confines and relative isolation of the mountain.

What I think is much more revealing about Proulx's vision on sexuality is given in another part of the interview:

Quote
MS—For me it’s just longing for love (AP—Oh yeah) that the story captures. There’s this huge sense that these men whatever lies they tell and refusals they make this love seems hardwired into them and is unmitigatable, unavoidable, unignorable…

AP—and inexpressible…

MS—and inexpressible.

AP—The other thing I wanted to mess with in this story to – the complex plurality of human sexuality, the unclear line that drifts from one pasture to the other, the back and forth, the interplay instead of this rigid constant “him-her”, “he-she”. It was interesting to me to put a lot of gray into this story and again account on readers to pull from their own lives and experience and thoughts what they knew about life and sex that contradicted the clear-cut pattern that’s given to us, the coloring book of life that we get when we’re little kids.


So as you can clearly see, Proulx herself is very far from being definitive on the nature of the characters' sexuality.  We are left to explore it through the lens of greater -- and more personal -- experience.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 08, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Hi, tpe....I should start by saying any mistakes in Lance's posts were due to his relying on my account of the interview.  Which was, I think,
a little flawed, from no written transcript.  Have just listened to it again, and would say, immediately, I went too far in saying she says they
went into the wormhole straight, and came out mixed up.
  Also need to correct my saying she felt her pen was guided by heaven above, or to that effect.  She says she felt "a strange hand from above
and ( it) was guiding the pen..."
  The "drift from one pasture to another" in sexuality, I did not hear that exactly as you have posted above, and just have to rely on your having
a better ear, and a quicker hand to write down what was said before and after.
  It can be a difficult interview, for example when she say 50%, as to whether the actors got the characters right.  Because that is immediately
followed by her saying Jake created the Jack we see, and Heath had Ennis exactly as she had known him.  You have to then draw the
conclusion that by 50%, she meant the averaging out between Jake's creating his own version and Heath's going 100%.
  You are right, tpe, she was not definitive about their sexuality and so there is much there, open to interpretation, in this interview, just
as in the SS and film.  For example she refers to this raging "love that comes roaring out of nowhere".  You could mess around with that and
suggest, if it came out of nowhere, then it did not come out of sexual orientation. And drifting from one pasture to another, suggests delineations,
IF and only IF that stood alone, but your transcript shows, it doesn't.
  I do think it is extremely important that nowhere in this interview does she promote, establish, or defend any theory of 2 repressed gays.
The silence there is deafening.  She mentions 2 19 y.o.'s confused about their sexuality and that is as close as she gets.
  Again, you are correct, tpe....she did not define them as straight, going in. It's also true she seemed to want to leave much undefined, asking
the reader to fill in the blanks.  Which we've been busy beavers doing, each as best as we can.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 08, 2008, 04:32 PM
This is I think fine for all of us, Tony, as I would never have expected Proulx to define her characters' sexuality in black and white -- especially Ennis's.  For me, this is actually a strength rather than a weakness.  It allows us to look into the question through our own views and experiences and reach our own conclusions.  Each one must have some grain of truth, given that the question reveals more about ourselves than on a definite answer.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Jan 08, 2008, 09:11 PM
Wonderful words here everyone. Tip o' the hat to Thomas for transcribing AP, a BIG help all around. Did you do that yourself or find it on-line?

I'm focused on her specific interjection of the word "inexpressible" into the description of this love that the boys discover. My little Mac dashboard dictionary defines inexpressible as "too strong to be conveyed or described in words". How perfect. Especially for my hero Ennis, he couldn't hardly put two words together anyway and what Jack ignited in him was truly beyond his ability to verbally express. How frequently we see him tongue-tied, unable to convey to Jack what he's feeling inside. His emotions with Jack boiling over wanting to erupt, but they can't find the way out. Given his described "uncommonly quick reflexes", my imagination wants to believe that he was sumthin' to be with in that bedroll. What he couldn't express verbally he made up for physically.
 ::)
Sorry for bein' somewhat OT, but maybe "gay" is just too small a word to describe this, it just doesn't go far enough.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jan 08, 2008, 09:25 PM
Beautifully said jackster <^(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 08, 2008, 11:02 PM
Golly gee hoppers! I didn't think I'd stir up a hornet's nest of responses with a simple rant.

For the record, I am not saying others should not have their own opinions about the sexuality of the characters. I think Brokeback Mountain is a great work of art, and therefore, as every great work of art, is open to personal interpretation that makes it more meaningful, and fulfilling for personal enjoyment. If making Ennis gay or whatever is important for a personal view of the movie, by all means, Ennis is gay.  My point was not an absolute statement about Ennis. My point was only my own view of the movie.

Thanks to tpe's transcription, I see even more clearly that Annie Proulx did not even mention sexuality in her interview. That in itself speaks volume about her intention to leave the issue in the grey area she spoke of elsewhere. As far as she is concerned, the sexuality is not an issue. It was the love between two lowly nobodys. Brokeback Mountain was the wormhole that transformed the two characters, not from straight to gay, or whatever, but from two lonely souls that no one would have noticed, that others often pissed on and spit at, into two soul mates who found fulfillment in each others arms. It was love's transforming power in its most glorious action. The sex was secondary.

Would we ask if Romeo and Juliet were straight? It's irrelevant to the story. It's like asking if they are clothed. It's part of the plot.

As far as being gay, and the label gay is concerned, I agree with tpe that some people still find the gay label disturbing. It is the reason why so many gay personal ads preface with "straight-acting". Personally, I find ALL labels disturbing because it means the person is automatically pigeonholing instead of listening, experiencing the real person, the real me. I don't have a problem with Ennis being gay, with calling myself gay. I just don't find it relevant, and definitely not important in comparison to the many more interesting issues. I was merely applauding Laclan's insights, which bear repeating here:

[...]
Classifying people according to their sexual preference is too easy and has little to do with reality. 
[...]
I believe Annie Proulx revealed a deep truth about human practice in that short,  simple story.  Ennis is only human.

I believe we often confuse our ability to put a label on things, to name concepts, with the reality of the thing. Without getting philosophical and metaphysical, I believe Annie Proulx's grey area is her way of saying the limitation of the power of language to express the inexpressible.

Wonderful words here everyone. Tip o' the hat to Thomas for transcribing AP, a BIG help all around. Did you do that yourself or find it on-line?

I'm focused on her specific interjection of the word "inexpressible" into the description of this love that the boys discover. My little Mac dashboard dictionary defines inexpressible as "too strong to be conveyed or described in words". How perfect. Especially for my hero Ennis, he couldn't hardly put two words together anyway and what Jack ignited in him was truly beyond his ability to verbally express. How frequently we see him tongue-tied, unable to convey to Jack what he's feeling inside. His emotions with Jack boiling over wanting to erupt, but they can't find the way out. Given his described "uncommonly quick reflexes", my imagination wants to believe that he was sumthin' to be with in that bedroll. What he couldn't express verbally he made up for physically.
 ::)
Sorry for bein' somewhat OT, but maybe "gay" is just too small a word to describe this, it just doesn't go far enough.

I agree 100%. Thank you all for allowing me to go on a rant. I hope I did not offend any one, but if I did, please accept my apologies, and know that my opinion on the subject of labels in not intended to reflect my opinions of the people here, just my own personal cross that I have borne many years. I know everyone in the forum is tolerant and open-minded, as Tony has so said so well in his usual eloquence. I am sometimes just a bit too blunt in my limited expressiveness, like Ennis, sometimes my words punch themselves out into the open air.

With kind regards, and much love.

 :ghug: <^( :c)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Jan 08, 2008, 11:20 PM
Wonderful words here everyone. Tip o' the hat to Thomas for transcribing AP, a BIG help all around. Did you do that yourself or find it on-line?

I'm focused on her specific interjection of the word "inexpressible" into the description of this love that the boys discover. My little Mac dashboard dictionary defines inexpressible as "too strong to be conveyed or described in words". How perfect. Especially for my hero Ennis, he couldn't hardly put two words together anyway and what Jack ignited in him was truly beyond his ability to verbally express. How frequently we see him tongue-tied, unable to convey to Jack what he's feeling inside. His emotions with Jack boiling over wanting to erupt, but they can't find the way out. Given his described "uncommonly quick reflexes", my imagination wants to believe that he was sumthin' to be with in that bedroll. What he couldn't express verbally he made up for physically.
 ::)
Sorry for bein' somewhat OT, but maybe "gay" is just too small a word to describe this, it just doesn't go far enough.

  This is true, Jackster ,Ennis was unable to put thoughts together verbally to express what he was feeling, (inexpressible)  but that would indeed be made up in the bedroll thus their " brilliant couplings" even into the later years. There in lies the fact that here's one negative that was turned into a positive.  I'm sure actions spoke louder than words .Jack was  one lucky man! ;) :c)

AP spoke of "places" she went to while penning the story.   I think I read somewhere that she stated that it was like Ledger had "read her mind" in his portrayal of Ennis. .  She says she wrote the characters in a "stoic way" .  Stoic people  often harbor many secrets. Pen was put to paper and a story was written and read. The film may have differed slightly from her writings, but her vision was realized none the less.

 Her story was  read by many people , and by applying their own life experiences , found themselves in  the same "place" she found herself. Then we have the added bounus of her work visualized on film.  It is this relationship with her characters to her readers that she is expressing imo. As a writer, she uses the reaction of her readers as a true measure of her work. Without this, the words are meaningless.

 Only when the readers' personal relationship is applied to her story is when we realize  that "place" where she took us is a  deep personal place within each and everyone of us. Our basic humanity. As a writer she has touched many people's lives.  Thru her , many were taken on a personal journey that did not end happily ever after.  Ennis and Jack's journey. A journey that deals with the very essence of what roles  human sexuality may have us to play right or wrong.  

 Who knows for sure if they were straight, gay, or bi when they went up to the mountain. The film did not elaborate, so this is open for speculation, but we do know that when they came down , a life-altering experience  had occured that caused them to question  their human sexuality , how this can happen, and how it *fit in* to the world around them.   My take on it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jan 09, 2008, 01:22 AM
Maybe their sexuality is not important.   There's an organic sense to their love, it was natural,  but unexpected, like a flower growing in land deemed barren.  We don't know how it grew, but there it is.

Just a thought
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 09, 2008, 03:38 AM
Maybe their sexuality is not important.   There's an organic sense to their love, it was natural,  but unexpected, like a flower growing in land deemed barren.  We don't know how it grew, but there it is.

Just a thought

I love the imagery, the metaphor, the poetry of their love like a flower growing in a land deemed barren, unlovable. I think it is what Annie Proulx was saying about the grey area, that sometimes, what is really important cannot be easily expressed, but come unexpected, inexpressible. Thank you for this. :c) ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 09, 2008, 08:11 AM
Wonderful words here everyone. Tip o' the hat to Thomas for transcribing AP, a BIG help all around. Did you do that yourself or find it on-line?

I'm focused on her specific interjection of the word "inexpressible" into the description of this love that the boys discover. My little Mac dashboard dictionary defines inexpressible as "too strong to be conveyed or described in words". How perfect. Especially for my hero Ennis, he couldn't hardly put two words together anyway and what Jack ignited in him was truly beyond his ability to verbally express. How frequently we see him tongue-tied, unable to convey to Jack what he's feeling inside. His emotions with Jack boiling over wanting to erupt, but they can't find the way out. Given his described "uncommonly quick reflexes", my imagination wants to believe that he was sumthin' to be with in that bedroll. What he couldn't express verbally he made up for physically.
 ::)
Sorry for bein' somewhat OT, but maybe "gay" is just too small a word to describe this, it just doesn't go far enough.

Thanks Jackster.  There are a number of transcriptions on this online.  I got mine from a French site, although I think there are a few of them out there.

As in everything, to define is certainly to limit.  This is not exactly a bad thing, since we all know that as in all choices or decisions made, one necessarily closes some doors. 

But I think the important thing here is that each one of us can make their own choices, and in no way does it change the validity and power of the story.  This is I think what Proulx essentially meant in her closing statements.

Therefore, I don't think "gay" is necessarily too small a word for it.  By choosing any word, one indeed imposes limitations; but it is only by this act that we can begin to explore meanings and connotations, without getting lost in a cloud of generalities.   This lies close to the heart of Wittgenstein's Philosophy of Language.    Think how barren and empty science would have become had they not tried to approximate the ineffable by limited concepts.  It is not that we should shy away from limitations -- we should use them as a starting point for further refinements, so as to advance understanding of what is thought to be "inexpressible".

I end with a paraphrase from one of the fathers of modern science.  It goes something like this:

Does it matter if there is such a thing as an "atom"?  The answer is NO.  The "atom" is a model, a paradigm, by which we can paint a picture of the natural world, understand it better, actually make predictions, and, by which, even harness nature's intrinsic power.  It does not matter if nature is infinitely richer than that model.  It is the first step towards understanding.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 09, 2008, 08:19 AM
I believe we often confuse our ability to put a label on things, to name concepts, with the reality of the thing. Without getting philosophical and metaphysical, I believe Annie Proulx's grey area is her way of saying the limitation of the power of language to express the inexpressible.

lance, you certainly touch here some of the things I addressed in my last post. 

And we should thank you for bringing this up, as it can only enrich our exchange of ideas.  Agreement is not mandatory.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 09, 2008, 08:24 AM
Maybe their sexuality is not important.   There's an organic sense to their love, it was natural,  but unexpected, like a flower growing in land deemed barren.  We don't know how it grew, but there it is.

Just a thought

manhattangirl, I see no contradiction with what you say here.  A rose is a rose by any other name.  But even just the word "rose" brings forth a whole world of meaning.

The question of sexuality then is but one way of trying to understand the meanings and connotations of that love.  It does not define it, in as much as it nonetheless actually enriches it.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 09, 2008, 08:29 AM
Who knows for sure if they were straight, gay, or bi when they went up to the mountain. The film did not elaborate, so this is open for speculation, but we do know that when they came down , a life-altering experience  had occured that caused them to question  their human sexuality , how this can happen, and how it *fit in* to the world around them.   My take on it.

Indeed, we shall never know.  We are free to arrive at our own conclusions, or even choose not to.  :)

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jan 09, 2008, 07:43 PM
Jackster, for something that is INEXPRESSIBLE, we all sure spend a lot of time trying to express it!  I think that is ironic.  I, too, think the love between these two guys was not able to be put into words -- or into deeds, for that matter.  This love just permeates the whole story from the get-go.  It is part of everything Jack does or Ennis does.  It colors them and their actions at all times and gives us lots to think and talk about.  But, the essential thing is that it is indefinable. Words only limit it, and it is bigger than that.  Try to describe a storm at sea, or a tornado when you are in its midst -- any work of nature that affects us.  We find that words just fall short.  And so it is with this wonderful work of nature between these two men.  THEY didn't discuss it.  They LIVED it. All WE can do is WITNESS it.  And I dare to say we are all stronger for being part of this story.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 10, 2008, 12:46 AM
lance, you certainly touch here some of the things I addressed in my last post. 

And we should thank you for bringing this up, as it can only enrich our exchange of ideas.  Agreement is not mandatory.


Agreed, that agreement is not mandatory or even necessary. Free discussion is the most enriching source of new understanding.

As you mentioned else where in response to others, a label is a necessary step towards limitations to begin to understand something. I agree with that, and also your statement that a rose is a rose, which allows the rose to be understood. The quotation on the atom is also poignant. These are all avenues of pursuit towards a greater understanding of reality. My only disagreement here is the mistaking of the label with the reality.

By your own assertions, a label is only useful in its ability to limit and set boundaries to our understanding of the world at large. If everything is called a rose, then no rose would smell so sweet. The more precise the label, the more useful it is. At the same time, the more precise the label, the smaller its applicable power in the idea space. Its own limitations make it inappropriate for those part of the universe outside of its supposed boundaries. In other words, the more useful a label, the smaller its applicability, and the larger the margin or tolerance when applied to approximations of ideas outside of its boundaries.

Gay is a label that is, as you pointed out, supposedly to replace the clinical homosexual. And that word was, if I recall from someone else, coined a century or two ago, to displace the less kind pederast. And of course, there are other nastier labels which I won't get into.

Is Ennis gay?

First of all, if the definition of gay is someone who is attracted to people of the same gender, then the question is to define this attraction. Ennis is attracted ONLY to Jack, not any other man. Is this considered gay? If so, then many men would be also considered gay. If not, then many ordinarily labelled "straight" can continue being straight. My point was the inexpressible, to use that word, quality of attraction (and this is different from sex) that Ennis had for Jack. It was love born of their time together on Brokeback Mountain. It would never be, if they did not have a summer of friendship, companionship, mutual respect before FNIT. For Ennis, he did not want anything else, he did not need anything else. For Ennis, Jack was friendship, companionship, respect all personified into one single human being who was fun to be with, not unlike Cassie.

Secondly, if the definition of gay is someone who is NOT attracted to people of the opposite gender, then the question is whether Ennis was EVER in love or attracted to Alma, or Cassie. How much of the absence of this attraction is required for Ennis to be gay? Can Ennis once felt attracted, or sometimes attracted and still be considered gay? My point was again the inexpressive quality of sexual attraction, which comes and goes. Can a person be gay, and not gay, and then gay again?

Finally, I was merely pointing out the limitations of "forcing" a label on something when it clearly, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, does not warrant a label. Ennis was Jack's love. Jack was Ennis' love. The two were lovers. Being gay has nothing to do with it, again, in my own personal humble opinion. If the two were of the opposite sex, and the reason for their un-fulfilled love was something equally unjust, for example, from different races, or more modern, from different planets, would the story be any different? Better yet, if Jack was a transvestite, or was transgender, would the story be any different? I say, no, because it is not about their sex, it is only about their love.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Jan 10, 2008, 06:38 AM
Agreed, that agreement is not mandatory or even necessary. Free discussion is the most enriching source of new understanding.

As you mentioned else where in response to others, a label is a necessary step towards limitations to begin to understand something. I agree with that, and also your statement that a rose is a rose, which allows the rose to be understood. The quotation on the atom is also poignant. These are all avenues of pursuit towards a greater understanding of reality. My only disagreement here is the mistaking of the label with the reality.

By your own assertions, a label is only useful in its ability to limit and set boundaries to our understanding of the world at large. If everything is called a rose, then no rose would smell so sweet. The more precise the label, the more useful it is. At the same time, the more precise the label, the smaller its applicable power in the idea space. Its own limitations make it inappropriate for those part of the universe outside of its supposed boundaries. In other words, the more useful a label, the smaller its applicability, and the larger the margin or tolerance when applied to approximations of ideas outside of its boundaries.

Gay is a label that is, as you pointed out, supposedly to replace the clinical homosexual. And that word was, if I recall from someone else, coined a century or two ago, to displace the less kind pederast. And of course, there are other nastier labels which I won't get into.

Is Ennis gay?

First of all, if the definition of gay is someone who is attracted to people of the same gender, then the question is to define this attraction. Ennis is attracted ONLY to Jack, not any other man. Is this considered gay? If so, then many men would be also considered gay. If not, then many ordinarily labelled "straight" can continue being straight. My point was the inexpressible, to use that word, quality of attraction (and this is different from sex) that Ennis had for Jack. It was love born of their time together on Brokeback Mountain. It would never be, if they did not have a summer of friendship, companionship, mutual respect before FNIT. For Ennis, he did not want anything else, he did not need anything else. For Ennis, Jack was friendship, companionship, respect all personified into one single human being who was fun to be with, not unlike Cassie.

Secondly, if the definition of gay is someone who is NOT attracted to people of the opposite gender, then the question is whether Ennis was EVER in love or attracted to Alma, or Cassie. How much of the absence of this attraction is required for Ennis to be gay? Can Ennis once felt attracted, or sometimes attracted and still be considered gay? My point was again the inexpressive quality of sexual attraction, which comes and goes. Can a person be gay, and not gay, and then gay again?

Finally, I was merely pointing out the limitations of "forcing" a label on something when it clearly, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, does not warrant a label. Ennis was Jack's love. Jack was Ennis' love. The two were lovers. Being gay has nothing to do with it, again, in my own personal humble opinion. If the two were of the opposite sex, and the reason for their un-fulfilled love was something equally unjust, for example, from different races, or more modern, from different planets, would the story be any different? Better yet, if Jack was a transvestite, or was transgender, would the story be any different? I say, no, because it is not about their sex, it is only about their love.





 It's a very difficult question. Both Ennis and Jack were able to have sexual relations with women, but did they love them like they did each other? Did they need them like they needed each other? . Did they feel completed by these women? Only in a sense of "going thru the motions" to appear normal for a closed-minded society's sake ,maybe but,  I think not.  Imo it seems to me they got with these women for reasons other than what really felt right to them ,evidenced by them  being dropped by the wayside one by one in favor of the loving bond Jack and Ennis shared for 20 years.

 I mean would  Ennis really want to fix his marriage to Alma if he could? rather than go thru a divorce?  Give up Jack? Though Jack never divorced Lureen, obviously, it was Ennis , another man ,he preferred. I never got the feeling that Ennis was deeply "in love" with Alma  in any case ,or Jack "deeply in love" with Lureen.

 In this society, lables are used to define a certain element in people, though this may not define a person completly, it, I feel is necessary to a certain extent. Again not to say that lables describe the make up of a human being as a whole but it is matters of a sexual nature that the film delves into.  There are those clear tendencies for who one chooses to love. If your a man in this society, are attracted to men only, sleep with men only, prefer the company of men  socially, or fall in love with men only, then the lable  "gay" or "homosexual" applies based on these facts, "Homosexual", being a more clinical term, but I won't pretend  to know where the term "gay" originates from, perhaps some one can fill me in, but , both terms are within the realm of one's sexuality. Brokeback Mountain just happens to deal with the sexuality between two men within that "gray area"  Yes, they were just two cowboys in love , but the subject matter is what it was , so to me  personally ,it is relevent discussion for all the millions of Ennises and Jacks  out there still struggling with this question.  If I'm wrong, please inform, I only seek to learn...Thanx.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Jan 10, 2008, 08:20 AM
Jackster, for something that is INEXPRESSIBLE, we all sure spend a lot of time trying to express it!  I think that is ironic.  I, too, think the love between these two guys was not able to be put into words -- or into deeds, for that matter.   This love just permeates the whole story from the get-go.  It is part of everything Jack does or Ennis does.  It colors them and their actions at all times and gives us lots to think and talk about.  But, the essential thing is that it is indefinable. Words only limit it, and it is bigger than that.  Try to describe a storm at sea, or a tornado when you are in its midst -- any work of nature that affects us.  We find that words just fall short.  And so it is with this wonderful work of nature between these two men.  THEY didn't discuss it.  They LIVED it. All WE can do is WITNESS it.  And I dare to say we are all stronger for being part of this story.

I agree with you Lamusica!!! Love your post!!!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Jan 10, 2008, 08:22 AM
Agreed, that agreement is not mandatory or even necessary. Free discussion is the most enriching source of new understanding.

As you mentioned else where in response to others, a label is a necessary step towards limitations to begin to understand something. I agree with that, and also your statement that a rose is a rose, which allows the rose to be understood. The quotation on the atom is also poignant. These are all avenues of pursuit towards a greater understanding of reality. My only disagreement here is the mistaking of the label with the reality.

By your own assertions, a label is only useful in its ability to limit and set boundaries to our understanding of the world at large. If everything is called a rose, then no rose would smell so sweet. The more precise the label, the more useful it is. At the same time, the more precise the label, the smaller its applicable power in the idea space. Its own limitations make it inappropriate for those part of the universe outside of its supposed boundaries. In other words, the more useful a label, the smaller its applicability, and the larger the margin or tolerance when applied to approximations of ideas outside of its boundaries.

Gay is a label that is, as you pointed out, supposedly to replace the clinical homosexual. And that word was, if I recall from someone else, coined a century or two ago, to displace the less kind pederast. And of course, there are other nastier labels which I won't get into.

Is Ennis gay?

First of all, if the definition of gay is someone who is attracted to people of the same gender, then the question is to define this attraction. Ennis is attracted ONLY to Jack, not any other man. Is this considered gay? If so, then many men would be also considered gay. If not, then many ordinarily labelled "straight" can continue being straight. My point was the inexpressible, to use that word, quality of attraction (and this is different from sex) that Ennis had for Jack. It was love born of their time together on Brokeback Mountain. It would never be, if they did not have a summer of friendship, companionship, mutual respect before FNIT. For Ennis, he did not want anything else, he did not need anything else. For Ennis, Jack was friendship, companionship, respect all personified into one single human being who was fun to be with, not unlike Cassie.

Secondly, if the definition of gay is someone who is NOT attracted to people of the opposite gender, then the question is whether Ennis was EVER in love or attracted to Alma, or Cassie. How much of the absence of this attraction is required for Ennis to be gay? Can Ennis once felt attracted, or sometimes attracted and still be considered gay? My point was again the inexpressive quality of sexual attraction, which comes and goes. Can a person be gay, and not gay, and then gay again?

Finally, I was merely pointing out the limitations of "forcing" a label on something when it clearly, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, does not warrant a label. Ennis was Jack's love. Jack was Ennis' love. The two were lovers. Being gay has nothing to do with it, again, in my own personal humble opinion. If the two were of the opposite sex, and the reason for their un-fulfilled love was something equally unjust, for example, from different races, or more modern, from different planets, would the story be any different? Better yet, if Jack was a transvestite, or was transgender, would the story be any different? I say, no, because it is not about their sex, it is only about their love.


OMG Andrew!!! I really love your post too!! I think in the same way you do!!! I hope to write what I think about this soon, if I have enough time!!! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!!!  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 10, 2008, 08:40 AM
Agreed, that agreement is not mandatory or even necessary. Free discussion is the most enriching source of new understanding.

As you mentioned else where in response to others, a label is a necessary step towards limitations to begin to understand something. I agree with that, and also your statement that a rose is a rose, which allows the rose to be understood. The quotation on the atom is also poignant. These are all avenues of pursuit towards a greater understanding of reality. My only disagreement here is the mistaking of the label with the reality.

By your own assertions, a label is only useful in its ability to limit and set boundaries to our understanding of the world at large. If everything is called a rose, then no rose would smell so sweet. The more precise the label, the more useful it is. At the same time, the more precise the label, the smaller its applicable power in the idea space. Its own limitations make it inappropriate for those part of the universe outside of its supposed boundaries. In other words, the more useful a label, the smaller its applicability, and the larger the margin or tolerance when applied to approximations of ideas outside of its boundaries.

It is true that the label should not be taken to represent thw whole realiry.  But that is why we have words in a language, no?  Take for example the word "man" -- it specifically defines the male gender.  But when we say "Ennis is a man", do we necessarily limit our understanding of Ennis in terms of just the male genitalia?  Certainly not.  THis is what I mean by the whole world of meanings and connotations.  We see the term "man" through layers of history, art, aesthetics, attributes, and experience, and not just in terms of gender.

But I understand what you mean here.  Many people do tend to reduce terms rather simplistically at times.

Quote
Gay is a label that is, as you pointed out, supposedly to replace the clinical homosexual. And that word was, if I recall from someone else, coined a century or two ago, to displace the less kind pederast. And of course, there are other nastier labels which I won't get into.

Is Ennis gay?

First of all, if the definition of gay is someone who is attracted to people of the same gender, then the question is to define this attraction. Ennis is attracted ONLY to Jack, not any other man. Is this considered gay? If so, then many men would be also considered gay. If not, then many ordinarily labelled "straight" can continue being straight. My point was the inexpressible, to use that word, quality of attraction (and this is different from sex) that Ennis had for Jack. It was love born of their time together on Brokeback Mountain. It would never be, if they did not have a summer of friendship, companionship, mutual respect before FNIT. For Ennis, he did not want anything else, he did not need anything else. For Ennis, Jack was friendship, companionship, respect all personified into one single human being who was fun to be with, not unlike Cassie.

Again, here I object to the claim that Ennis was only attracted to Jack.  Taking into account Proulx's statements, I do think the answer is: we really don't know.  Just because he was not shown to play around with other men as Jack was does not mean that he was not attracted to them.  This, like so many other things in the story and the film, are left intentionally ambiguous.


Quote
Secondly, if the definition of gay is someone who is NOT attracted to people of the opposite gender, then the question is whether Ennis was EVER in love or attracted to Alma, or Cassie. How much of the absence of this attraction is required for Ennis to be gay? Can Ennis once felt attracted, or sometimes attracted and still be considered gay? My point was again the inexpressive quality of sexual attraction, which comes and goes. Can a person be gay, and not gay, and then gay again?

This really does not do justice to the complexities of the gay experience.  For example, I had an elderly friend who pretty much lived out his life marrying 2 women and having children.  It was only late in life that he confessed openly that he had lived a lie, and that he was exclusively attracted to men.  Just because he was capable of showing affection and love to women and to have sex with them didn't mean that he was not gay.  He pretended all his life, and he said that it was necessary, given the social pressures that were ranged against him.

I should add that even after he confessed this to his second wife, they remained married and agreed on certain ground rules -- and stayed  happily married up until his death a few years ago.

In this statement, I do not say that bisexuality is impossible.  I only give this example to show how far people will go to hide their true nature.

And lastly, remember that love and affection go beyond sexual preference.  My recently deceased friend Robert numbered 2 women as the people closest to him.  One was the executor of his will when he died -- he ignored all his surviving family members.  This is an example of love without the veneer of sexual desire between a gay man and a straight woman.  It is quite common.


Quote
Finally, I was merely pointing out the limitations of "forcing" a label on something when it clearly, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, does not warrant a label. Ennis was Jack's love. Jack was Ennis' love. The two were lovers. Being gay has nothing to do with it, again, in my own personal humble opinion. If the two were of the opposite sex, and the reason for their un-fulfilled love was something equally unjust, for example, from different races, or more modern, from different planets, would the story be any different? Better yet, if Jack was a transvestite, or was transgender, would the story be any different? I say, no, because it is not about their sex, it is only about their love.

We can agree to disagree.  :)  For me, a label is never forced.  It is given to bring out certain ideas that one feels embody the individual.  That label is never meant to represent the individual in his/her entirety, as I have discussed above.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 10, 2008, 08:56 AM
It's a very difficult question. Both Ennis and Jack were able to have sexual relations with women, but did they love them like they did each other? Did they need them like they needed each other? . Did they feel completed by these women? Only in a sense of "going thru the motions" to appear normal for a closed-minded society's sake ,maybe but,  I think not.  Imo it seems to me they got with these women for reasons other than what really felt right to them ,evidenced by them  being dropped by the wayside one by one in favor of the loving bond Jack and Ennis shared for 20 years.

 I mean would  Ennis really want to fix his marriage to Alma if he could? rather than go thru a divorce?  Give up Jack? Though Jack never divorced Lureen, obviously, it was Ennis , another man ,he preferred. I never got the feeling that Ennis was deeply "in love" with Alma  in any case ,or Jack "deeply in love" with Lureen.

 In this society, lables are used to define a certain element in people, though this may not define a person completly, it, I feel is necessary to a certain extent. Again not to say that lables describe the make up of a human being as a whole but it is matters of a sexual nature that the film delves into.  There are those clear tendencies for who one chooses to love. If your a man in this society, are attracted to men only, sleep with men only, prefer the company of men  socially, or fall in love with men only, then the lable  "gay" or "homosexual" applies based on these facts, "Homosexual", being a more clinical term, but I won't pretend  to know where the term "gay" originates from, perhaps some one can fill me in, but , both terms are within the realm of one's sexuality. Brokeback Mountain just happens to deal with the sexuality between two men within that "gray area"  Yes, they were just two cowboys in love , but the subject matter is what it was , so to me  personally ,it is relevent discussion for all the millions of Ennises and Jacks  out there still struggling with this question.  If I'm wrong, please inform, I only seek to learn...Thanx.

I agree.   I said similar things in my last post, without having read your post, aintfoolin.  I am gratified to know this.  :)

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 10, 2008, 01:13 PM
   On the subject of labels, as far as sexuality, a lot of us would want the question to remain open, but science is on the march and we've
probably only got a few decades, maybe less, before we are confronted with reasonably definitive answers.  Just like gene-code research is
getting near to predicting what illnesses we are prone to, and DNA tests can trace back our ancestry, there's been some work on sexuality,
which I mentioned in the first thread I started, after joining this forum.
  The first breakthrough, pupil dilation tests, alas, came from the Navy trying to screen out gays from submarine service, and they had trouble,
big-time, because most sailors (and civilian men) showed pupil dilation when seeing pictures of....nekked men.  Indicating....interest.
They botched it up  pretty bad, not taking into account male doggy-dog interest in anything "naughty", and also the extent and duration of
the pupil dilation.  But, never fear---if they spent money on the "Gay Bomb", and they did, there's still research in this area.
  Then came along a new theory on sexuality of straight men, with regard to their being able or prone to having same gender intercourse,
giving 5 categories (which were listed in that thread).  They did not cover women or gays, as that requires ever more research, but--they'll
get there.
  They have a lot to factor in.  For example, the human mind is looking more and more like a computer, in some ways, and, yeah, we have
a "delete" and a "recycle" bin, so that thoughts that would make a "gay" or "straight" person uncomfortable, would....vanish.  Also, like in
Chaos theory, there seems to be a tipping point, whereby there's no smooth transition, but a radical, sudden jump.  Maybe that would explain
those cases where somebody seems to equivocate, and then define themselves.  They've reached a tipping point and then, to reinforce that,
they delete previous feelings or thoughts.
  But, they'll get there.  They'll get past our supposings, our wants, and our smokescreens, and they will be able to have.....reasonably definitive
labels. The "continuum" theory will fall to much more defined pigeon-holes, many of them, but with fairly distinct walls rather than vagueness.
  Happily enough, it will be very difficult to apply new scientific tests to each individual, and there is no reason to do so, unless an individual
wants to know.  And also,.....we have time.  Time to adjust to the shocks about our general sexuality, time to promote more tolerance and
understanding.  Time to really adjust to the fact that we are...sexual.
  I did not revive that thread, partly because it provoked a big yawn, and partly because I related it to whether Ennis was gay.  Am just saying,
here, the discussion in this thread is productive, because its getting people to think, and we DO need to be ready for when they have finally
tweaked those pupil dilation tests and category types into something that is just shy of DNA tests.  We need to be ready for them.  We need
to be ahead of them, especially with regard to defining what's useful, and what's not.  We've got, and here am guessing, 10-20 years, to
put our own 2 cents worth in, and fend off arbitrary conclusions from whatever they come up with.  And to promote tolerance and always,
always factor in what they might not, our own humanity.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jan 10, 2008, 03:59 PM
Such a great, ccerebral post, Tony!  That's why I maintain we have to do all we can possibly do NOW to take away the onus of being gay, bi, or anything else, for that matter.  We HAVE to open the closed minds, and make an individual's sexuality a part of him (her), just as eye color, or hair color, or DNA is a part of him -- WITHOUT ANY JUDGEMENT.  If the people who are members of this forum -- just these 4,000 -- made it a point to do all in their power to bring this type of acceptance about in the world, we could do it.  Everytime one hears some negative comment about someone being gay, queer, a homo --we have to react.  I don't mean we have to become violent, but we cannot just turn our head the other way and ignore such ignorance.  You are RIGHT!  It is not too late to change people's attitudes.  If that were not the case, we could all just quit living because there would be no hope in the world.  There is ALWAYS the hope for change.  Wonderful post, Tony!!! You the man!!!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 11, 2008, 12:21 AM
It's a very difficult question. Both Ennis and Jack were able to have sexual relations with women, but did they love them like they did each other? Did they need them like they needed each other? . Did they feel completed by these women? Only in a sense of "going thru the motions" to appear normal for a closed-minded society's sake ,maybe but,  I think not.  Imo it seems to me they got with these women for reasons other than what really felt right to them ,evidenced by them  being dropped by the wayside one by one in favor of the loving bond Jack and Ennis shared for 20 years.

 I mean would  Ennis really want to fix his marriage to Alma if he could? rather than go thru a divorce?  Give up Jack? Though Jack never divorced Lureen, obviously, it was Ennis , another man ,he preferred. I never got the feeling that Ennis was deeply "in love" with Alma  in any case ,or Jack "deeply in love" with Lureen.

 In this society, lables are used to define a certain element in people, though this may not define a person completly, it, I feel is necessary to a certain extent. Again not to say that lables describe the make up of a human being as a whole but it is matters of a sexual nature that the film delves into.  There are those clear tendencies for who one chooses to love. If your a man in this society, are attracted to men only, sleep with men only, prefer the company of men  socially, or fall in love with men only, then the lable  "gay" or "homosexual" applies based on these facts, "Homosexual", being a more clinical term, but I won't pretend  to know where the term "gay" originates from, perhaps some one can fill me in, but , both terms are within the realm of one's sexuality. Brokeback Mountain just happens to deal with the sexuality between two men within that "gray area"  Yes, they were just two cowboys in love , but the subject matter is what it was , so to me  personally ,it is relevent discussion for all the millions of Ennises and Jacks  out there still struggling with this question.  If I'm wrong, please inform, I only seek to learn...Thanx.

Hi, aintfoolin, I would not dare to presume to teach anything. I am merely participating in this lively discussion with my own peculiar brand of opinions and from a different perspective from normal.

I agree with you that the word gay or homosexual applies to a "person in this society, are attracted to same gender only, sleep with same gender only, prefer the company of same gender socially, or fall in love with same gender only, then the lable  "gay" or "homosexual" applies based on these facts".

My problem with agreement is the application of this label to any individual person, based on "these facts". For example, consider specifically the case of Ennis. He does NOT sleep with men only, he does not prefer the company of men only, and he can be said to be attracted to Alma and Cassie to some degree. So the question is simple, how precise is this definition?

In my humble opinion, no one fits perfectly a label, just as no one is perfectly average. True Ennis loves a man. True, he may be even gay, in the sense that he was ready to forego sex with Alma, and with Cassie. But it can be equally true to say that Ennis was not so much homosexual but simply a lover of a man. As Jack said, Ennis is happy with a couple high altitude fu@#$ a couple times a year. That doesn't sound like the gay men we know.

By the same definition that you stated above, and I quoted in bold, with the gender neutral terms added by in in italic, a number of ordinarily considered straight men would be labelled gay, for example Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, Batman and Robin, Robin Hood and his merry men. The list goes on. The problem with a simplistic label that society so love to have, like IQ, class, creed, color, poor, rich, etc, is that they are made for people in power to segregate people without power. It has nothing to do with the reality of the people involved. To say Ennis is gay, is as useful as saying he likes to dress country western, which by the way, is equally non-descriptive.

Just my two cents worth.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 11, 2008, 12:32 AM
It is true that the label should not be taken to represent thw whole realiry.  But that is why we have words in a language, no?  Take for example the word "man" -- it specifically defines the male gender.  But when we say "Ennis is a man", do we necessarily limit our understanding of Ennis in terms of just the male genitalia?  Certainly not.  THis is what I mean by the whole world of meanings and connotations.  We see the term "man" through layers of history, art, aesthetics, attributes, and experience, and not just in terms of gender.

I agree that labels are useful for understanding. No doubt about it.

But I understand what you mean here.  Many people do tend to reduce terms rather simplistically at times.

Agreed. It is more common than we like to admit, and it is a fine line between using a label for understanding, and using it as a stereotype, or worse, a caricature.


Again, here I object to the claim that Ennis was only attracted to Jack.  Taking into account Proulx's statements, I do think the answer is: we really don't know.  Just because he was not shown to play around with other men as Jack was does not mean that he was not attracted to them.  This, like so many other things in the story and the film, are left intentionally ambiguous.

I was referring only to the short story's motel confession by Ennis, which stated that he was not attracted to them. I agree that the movie, and subsequent Annie Proulx interviews tend to leave the issue ambiguous.


This really does not do justice to the complexities of the gay experience.  For example, I had an elderly friend who pretty much lived out his life marrying 2 women and having children.  It was only late in life that he confessed openly that he had lived a lie, and that he was exclusively attracted to men.  Just because he was capable of showing affection and love to women and to have sex with them didn't mean that he was not gay.  He pretended all his life, and he said that it was necessary, given the social pressures that were ranged against him.

I should add that even after he confessed this to his second wife, they remained married and agreed on certain ground rules -- and stayed  happily married up until his death a few years ago.

In this statement, I do not say that bisexuality is impossible.  I only give this example to show how far people will go to hide their true nature.

And lastly, remember that love and affection go beyond sexual preference.  My recently deceased friend Robert numbered 2 women as the people closest to him.  One was the executor of his will when he died -- he ignored all his surviving family members.  This is an example of love without the veneer of sexual desire between a gay man and a straight woman.  It is quite common.

Yes, I agree with that. But attraction and love are not necessarily the same. If being gay is based only on sexual attraction, of any amount, then many "straight" men would be considered gay on that measure. I think it is clear that by definition these labels are incapable of FULLY capturing the complexity of human love and sexuality. It is, I believe, what Annie Proulx was saying by inexpressible. By forcing a label on the indescribable, we distort the true beauty of Ennis.


We can agree to disagree.  :)  For me, a label is never forced.  It is given to bring out certain ideas that one feels embody the individual.  That label is never meant to represent the individual in his/her entirety, as I have discussed above.


Agreed.
 :c) :cr)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Jan 11, 2008, 03:55 AM
 Thanx L. Cowboy, and I do understand what you are saying. Ennis nor Jack fell into the set of facts I listed, but don't you feel that labling does not necessarily have  to have negative connotations? Certainly there is a large segment of society that isists on perpetuating a negative stereotpye of the "gay" lable,  But I feel a large part of the appeal of  Brokeback Mountain seemed to be it's non-stereotypical portrayal of homosexuality . Many Ennis's and Jacks', their mothers,fathers, brothers, sisters, or even wives and husbands,...etc.. were drawn to this film, not necessarily out of fear of being labled, but saw a small piece of their own personal selves wrapped up in Jack or Ennis's exploration into their "orientation". A very human film. If every parent taught their child to  ignore the "lables" and get to know the real person, the world would be a much better place in which to live.  We all have to live in this screwed up world , but tolerence is the only key to lessen the blows, no matter what lable we wear.

 Your "gift" of expression /communication is under-estimated by you my friend, Wether you presume  to dare or not I learn from your perpectives and opinions, I do. Agreed ,we may no agree on everything ,echoing Tpe's  sentiment ,but that's  ok I luv ya anyway.  Here's to you  cowboy. :cr)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jan 11, 2008, 08:01 AM
Labels were brought to us in this story "I'm not queer", there it is.  Ennis major problem was dealing with the label, and his feelings.   No matter how we feel about labels, it was the center of Jack and Ennis's story.  The love they had for each other, but what do you call it?   Jack and Ennis themselves had to deal with labels. 

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 11, 2008, 08:16 AM
Labels were brought to us in this story "I'm not queer", there it is.  Ennis major problem was dealing with the label, and his feelings.   No matter how we feel about labels, it was the center of Jack and Ennis's story.  The love they had for each other, but what do you call it?   

I do think it really highlighted a common fear that many gay men today still wrestle with -- coming to terms with their own sexual identity in the light of what society has conditioned them to think of as acceptable or unacceptable.  I suspect that in that scene, Ennis himself would have denied that it was love, even though he probably was in love with Jack at that point.

So the dilemna here goes even beyond "gay" as a label.  Ennis never said "I LOVE you" to Jack in any of the scenes.  He was afraid of the word "love" itself. 

After all. "love" itself is a label.  I can see some people denying that Ennis was ever truly in love with Jack.  I know that most of us will say they were in love, but do understand that the meanings and connotations of such a love can only be possible between a man and a woman for so many millions of people in the world today.

For them, our use of the word "love" to label what went on between Ennis and Jack is absolutely perverse. 

You see that my argument here echoes what I have tried to say about the label "gay". 



 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Jan 11, 2008, 08:47 AM

For them, our use of the word "love" to label what went on between Ennis and Jack is absolutely perverse. 
 

Oh no Thomas..... :\'(  :\'(  :\'( That's is horrible...but I know it's true: there are people thinking that Ennis and Jack love was something wrong, awful and merely sexual.....  :\'(

Thank you so much for your posts Thomas, MG, AF, Andrew, Tony and LM!!! You all amaze me!!! I love everything you write. Sometimes Thomas or AF say what I was thinking and sometimes are Andrew, Tony, MG or LM. You're really clever, you make think all time. You all draw Ennis more clearly for me and now I understand him better.  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 11, 2008, 02:30 PM
     Am hoping this isn't too off-beat of a post.  Anyway, the topic is, "was ennis gay?" and it is one of the most popular and enduring topics
on this, and other forums.  You get your different sides of the issue showing up, and then, every single time, the discussion ends up on the issue
of....labels.  It's as if we're going around in circles.  It might help, if only a little, if we were careful to use "definitions", instead of "labels".
They're pretty closely related, true, but trying for definitions, while difficult, does avoid the toxicity and uproar over labels.
   I do thank Lamusica for spotting what I had said about science moving towards fairly sturdy definitions derived from physiological responses,
and also thank tpe, if I understand him correctly, for pointing to the further issue-the labels may not be the problem so much as the responses
to those labels.  Forgive me, Thomas, if I got that wrong.
  Anyway-just 2 thoughts.  First, I am always amazed at the criminals, and creeps, that (and I know this is crazy) seem to expect their behavior
to be part of the human spectrum of activity--after all, they're not...GAY.  It's as if all these cops and robbers types are all playing a game,
with almost equal respect, so long as they're not...gay.  Where do I get this lunacy from?  Watching the reactions between police and the crooks.
It's like-an eco-system of mutual respect.  Introduce "gay" and they are---outta there.  I have noticed, criminals get treated with grudging
respect---but gays....get bashed or create stupefaction.  I see the police going after gangs, but its like....a game between 2 groups, and then
you all can see police near gay bars----they are extremely uncomfortable.  Makes me wonder if a significant amount of abuse and crime is a
continuation of kid's games, taken to a new level, acceptable, if you're not gay.  Crime & law-enforcement-both childhood games.  That's a wild
thought, or impression, but it has crossed my mind. You can, for some types, be anything.....so long as you're inside the circle....not gay.
  And the second thought- if this issue is still with us....was ennis gay?...doesn't that at least establish a fundamental fact.....that the issue
isn't settled?  I love and appreciate all these posts, but had to point out the obvious--it's a worthy subject, but that it even comes up as
a question, should be understood as very significant.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 11, 2008, 03:06 PM
Tony, you didn't misunderstand. :)

I would have to agree with you in that the closest an answer we could get is that it isn't settled, and will most likely not be settled.

But as I said, it's not the existence of a final answer that drives us here.  It's the journey through questions and opinions shared that matter te most and will prove most valuable in the long run.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 11, 2008, 04:02 PM
  Amen. <^( <^( <^(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 12, 2008, 02:24 AM
Thanx L. Cowboy, and I do understand what you are saying. Ennis nor Jack fell into the set of facts I listed, but don't you feel that labling does not necessarily have  to have negative connotations? Certainly there is a large segment of society that isists on perpetuating a negative stereotpye of the "gay" lable,  But I feel a large part of the appeal of  Brokeback Mountain seemed to be it's non-stereotypical portrayal of homosexuality . Many Ennis's and Jacks', their mothers,fathers, brothers, sisters, or even wives and husbands,...etc.. were drawn to this film, not necessarily out of fear of being labled, but saw a small piece of their own personal selves wrapped up in Jack or Ennis's exploration into their "orientation". A very human film. If every parent taught their child to  ignore the "lables" and get to know the real person, the world would be a much better place in which to live.  We all have to live in this screwed up world , but tolerence is the only key to lessen the blows, no matter what lable we wear.

 Your "gift" of expression /communication is under-estimated by you my friend, Wether you presume  to dare or not I learn from your perpectives and opinions, I do. Agreed ,we may no agree on everything ,echoing Tpe's  sentiment ,but that's  ok I luv ya anyway.  Here's to you  cowboy. :cr)

aintfoolin, I have no doubt of our mutual respect and the love that bound us. I am often passionate about my opinions, and as I said before, sometimes the words punch their way out in frustration, as Ennis' often do. This is especially true in this topic when so many ideas are very difficult and often inexpressible.

I agree with you 100% where I have bolded and colored red.

The reason I fight against the use of labels on individuals is precisely the limitations each label has in describing a person. The statement or assertion that 'Ennis is gay' has a truth value of perhaps 20%. 'Ennis is straight' is equally misleading, and has a truth value that is also very low. Even the ambiguous 'Ennis is bisexual' is not satisfactory, either. There is no single label that satisfactorily describe Ennis' love for Jack. Without this most important aspect of Ennis, no label is adequate.

Similarly, historians often refer to Alexander as bisexual because of his love for Hephaestion. But was he really, or was he gay?

The gray area that Annie Proulx speaks of is, I believe, this range of human sexuality that goes from those who are 100% straight to those who are 100% gay, and then the many who are in between, not necessarily loving men and women at the same time, but perhaps different individuals depending on circumstances. I guess my point has been that human sexuality is much more complex than simply who is sleeping with whom.

I agree that putting away labels will help make the world a better place. I think this means we need to put away the power of labels by making them meaningless, as far as application to an individual is concerned. It is fine to speak of the gay community, the gay games, etc. But a single individual in the community, paradoxically, is more complex than the community, and the label gay becomes too small to describe the person properly. To use it indiscriminately is to give it more power than it should have, IMHO.

If Ennis was asked the question, are you gay? We should respect whatever answer he gives because that is who he is to his own mind. And if his behavior proves otherwise, we can have issue with convincing him of his erroneous view of himself. But, as far as the short story, and the movie is concerned, Ennis is more asexual than gay or bisexual or any other sexual label. To me, Ennis is about love and friendship. Sex was a result of the love and friendship, not the other way around.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 12, 2008, 02:28 AM
Labels were brought to us in this story "I'm not queer", there it is.  Ennis major problem was dealing with the label, and his feelings.   No matter how we feel about labels, it was the center of Jack and Ennis's story.  The love they had for each other, but what do you call it?   Jack and Ennis themselves had to deal with labels. 


And look at what the labels got them...

They would have been far happier if the both ignored the labels and lived the love they shared.

The problem with Ennis' "I ain't queer' was that he was misled by those who used the label to believe that there was anything wrong with a man loving a man. If labels got them into trouble, why would we want to perpetuate them? They (labels applied to individuals) should be thrown into the dustbin of history along with all the other fallacies like the earth is flat, etc.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Jan 12, 2008, 02:33 AM
The gray area that Annie Proulx speaks of is, I believe, this range of human sexuality that goes from those who are 100% straight to those who are 100% gay, and then the many who are in between, not necessarily loving men and women at the same time, but perhaps different individuals depending on circumstances. I guess my point has been that human sexuality is much more complex than simply who is sleeping with whom.

If Ennis was asked the question, are you gay? We should respect whatever answer he gives because that is who he is to his own mind. And if his behavior proves otherwise, we can have issue with convincing him of his erroneous view of himself. But, as far as the short story, and the movie is concerned, Ennis is more asexual than gay or bisexual or any other sexual label. To me, Ennis is about love and friendship. Sex was a result of the love and friendship, not the other way around.
I have to agree with your whole post but have quoted and bolded some parts of it that I feel could help in understanding ennis's sexuality.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 12, 2008, 02:40 AM
I do think it really highlighted a common fear that many gay men today still wrestle with -- coming to terms with their own sexual identity in the light of what society has conditioned them to think of as acceptable or unacceptable.  I suspect that in that scene, Ennis himself would have denied that it was love, even though he probably was in love with Jack at that point.

So the dilemna here goes even beyond "gay" as a label.  Ennis never said "I LOVE you" to Jack in any of the scenes.  He was afraid of the word "love" itself. 

After all. "love" itself is a label.  I can see some people denying that Ennis was ever truly in love with Jack.  I know that most of us will say they were in love, but do understand that the meanings and connotations of such a love can only be possible between a man and a woman for so many millions of people in the world today.

For them, our use of the word "love" to label what went on between Ennis and Jack is absolutely perverse.
 

You see that my argument here echoes what I have tried to say about the label "gay". 
 

tpe, I agree with the bolded and colored red section. It is the central theme of the movie, that love was denied, both as a result of social pressure, and Ennis' own internalized social pressure.

I also agree that even today there are millions of people who would consider love between same sexes as perverse. But isn't that a different label? As I mentioned in response to aintfoolin, it is not the label itself that I object to. It is the application of the label to an individual, when it is highly approximate. It is like calling a rose a flower, and expect that label to carry significant meaning or power of description. It is too generic, and too limited to convey the beauty and specialness of a rose, especially a particularly lovely rose at the edge of bloom. It is the same to same that a person is gay, and expect that label to fully describe the person. Ennis is gay, as far as his love for Jack is concerned, but it is not the same as the gay love, as between Jack and the Mexican hustlers, or even the gay love between Jack and Randall, or the many others, when he rode more than bulls during the four years after Brokeback Mountain. The statement Jack is gay, perhaps, has a higher truth value, than Ennis is gay. When is it acceptable to apply the label? I am certain everyone will have their own opinion on this, and as already mentioned, it is not required or necessary to achieve agreement. Just my two cents worth when it comes to labels, I am against them sticking to people, 100%. People who wants to apply the label to themselves, that's a different story...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 12, 2008, 02:57 AM
     Am hoping this isn't too off-beat of a post.  Anyway, the topic is, "was ennis gay?" and it is one of the most popular and enduring topics
on this, and other forums.  You get your different sides of the issue showing up, and then, every single time, the discussion ends up on the issue
of....labels.  It's as if we're going around in circles.  It might help, if only a little, if we were careful to use "definitions", instead of "labels".
They're pretty closely related, true, but trying for definitions, while difficult, does avoid the toxicity and uproar over labels.
   I do thank Lamusica for spotting what I had said about science moving towards fairly sturdy definitions derived from physiological responses,
and also thank tpe, if I understand him correctly, for pointing to the further issue-the labels may not be the problem so much as the responses
to those labels.  Forgive me, Thomas, if I got that wrong.
  Anyway-just 2 thoughts.  First, I am always amazed at the criminals, and creeps, that (and I know this is crazy) seem to expect their behavior
to be part of the human spectrum of activity--after all, they're not...GAY.  It's as if all these cops and robbers types are all playing a game,
with almost equal respect, so long as they're not...gay.  Where do I get this lunacy from?  Watching the reactions between police and the crooks.
It's like-an eco-system of mutual respect.  Introduce "gay" and they are---outta there.  I have noticed, criminals get treated with grudging
respect---but gays....get bashed or create stupefaction.  I see the police going after gangs, but its like....a game between 2 groups, and then
you all can see police near gay bars----they are extremely uncomfortable.  Makes me wonder if a significant amount of abuse and crime is a
continuation of kid's games, taken to a new level, acceptable, if you're not gay.  Crime & law-enforcement-both childhood games.  That's a wild
thought, or impression, but it has crossed my mind. You can, for some types, be anything.....so long as you're inside the circle....not gay.
  And the second thought- if this issue is still with us....was ennis gay?...doesn't that at least establish a fundamental fact.....that the issue
isn't settled?  I love and appreciate all these posts, but had to point out the obvious--it's a worthy subject, but that it even comes up as
a question, should be understood as very significant.


Hi, Tony,

I meant to respond to your other posts regarding the latest scientific discoveries on the definition of being gay but haven't had time.

Permit me to respond to your post here first, and then return to what I see science has to say.

Firstly, I don't see definitions and labels are necessarily the same thing. In fact, I see a distinct difference. Definitions are used when people want to have a clearer understanding of the terms used. Labels on the other hand, are often used when people want to simply use a word that carries connotations that they already harbour, and do not wish to change. Academics and philosophers use definitions. People on the street use labels. When we can steer label-using people to think about definitions, we have achieved a little of the elimination of labels applied to people that we all dream of.

Secondly, the gay-bashing that you speak of is not new. The same has been happening to other labeled groups for centuries. I am certain you can think of other labels that inviting a beating not long ago, even in the US. Human hatred does not need reason to be violent. Sad, but true, and it comes from the erroneous convenience of labeling someone, and making that label stick, therefore making the person a caricature, a subhuman.

Finally, the fact that this question is asked, and asked repeated by people who love Brokeback Mountain, Ennis and Jack, speaks volume about the power and the need for us to categorize people and things. Why can't we simply accept Ennis as Ennis, and Jack as Jack, each person as an individual who loves another individual, regardless of sex or gender, or whatever? Why is it important to label one person gay or bisexual?

How do all the straight women feel about this? And the straight men? Does it matter that Ennis is gay? I think it was one of the reviews that dirtbiker posted, from a straight man, that speaks right to this issue, that the movie is not about gay cowboys, but a great love between two human beings. Why people keep insisting on seeing two gay cowboys, instead of the bond that binds them together for eternity, is, I guess, the same reason why some people see the glass as half-full, while others see it as half-empty.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Just different meanings.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Jan 12, 2008, 03:07 AM
Why can't we simply accept Ennis as Ennis, and Jack as Jack, each person as an individual who loves another individual, regardless of sex or gender, or whatever? Why is it important to label one person gay or bisexual?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Just different meanings.
I think all of us here can accept Ennis as Ennis and Jack as Jack without labels but we wish it could be this easy for everyone else.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jan 12, 2008, 06:49 AM
And look at what the labels got them...

They would have been far happier if the both ignored the labels and lived the love they shared.

The problem with Ennis' "I ain't queer' was that he was misled by those who used the label to believe that there was anything wrong with a man loving a man. If labels got them into trouble, why would we want to perpetuate them? They (labels applied to individuals) should be thrown into the dustbin of history along with all the other fallacies like the earth is flat, etc.

What you say is true, but in this story gay bashing was all too real, and real very much so for Ennis,  that he believes his father participated in it, how do you think this affected him?   I believe when he made the statement I'm not queer, is what I believe he thought of himself but this is when this split in him began.  We talk about how they lived on fringes of society, but wanting so much to be part of it.  So what  kept them on Brokeback Mountain?  They liked the scenery?  No but a  little word "queer", this word for Ennis meant death, thanks to dear old dad.    The beauty of their love, was confined to one place, but never stopped Ennis loving Jack or kept him away from Jack.  For me his love became totally internalized,  his love so deep , so big,  erupting at moments when he couldn't  contain it.   When they left the mountain that first summer, and he punches Jack, when he thought he might not see again,The Thanksgiving scene, Alma hit at the very heart of him, and who he was, the final confrontation, when Jack utters "I wish I knew how to quit you", which brings Ennis to his knees. 

"Queer" the word, was the deadly weapon, and kept them on that mountain.   We can argue whether Ennis was "Gay" or not till the cows come home, and that OK.   But can love supersede the fear ?

Ennis didn't understand he was loved until it was too late, and through his daughter he did understand it, because if she within one year knew the man she going to married loved her, he realized that Jack was telling him the same thing for the past twenty years. 

If there is on thing I've learned from this is how we, ourselves have to overcome our own fears, prejudices which keeps us trap on our own prison.

I hope I making sense.



   
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Jan 12, 2008, 09:56 AM
The reason I fight against the use of labels on individuals is precisely the limitations each label has in describing a person. The statement or assertion that 'Ennis is gay' has a truth value of perhaps 20%. 'Ennis is straight' is equally misleading, and has a truth value that is also very low. Even the ambiguous 'Ennis is bisexual' is not satisfactory, either. There is no single label that satisfactorily describe Ennis' love for Jack. Without this most important aspect of Ennis, no label is adequate.

Similarly, historians often refer to Alexander as bisexual because of his love for Hephaestion. But was he really, or was he gay?

The gray area that Annie Proulx speaks of is, I believe, this range of human sexuality that goes from those who are 100% straight to those who are 100% gay, and then the many who are in between, not necessarily loving men and women at the same time, but perhaps different individuals depending on circumstances. I guess my point has been that human sexuality is much more complex than simply who is sleeping with whom.

I agree that putting away labels will help make the world a better place. I think this means we need to put away the power of labels by making them meaningless, as far as application to an individual is concerned. It is fine to speak of the gay community, the gay games, etc. But a single individual in the community, paradoxically, is more complex than the community, and the label gay becomes too small to describe the person properly. To use it indiscriminately is to give it more power than it should have, IMHO.

If Ennis was asked the question, are you gay? We should respect whatever answer he gives because that is who he is to his own mind. And if his behavior proves otherwise, we can have issue with convincing him of his erroneous view of himself. But, as far as the short story, and the movie is concerned, Ennis is more asexual than gay or bisexual or any other sexual label. To me, Ennis is about love and friendship. Sex was a result of the love and friendship, not the other way around.

Amazing post Andrew!!! I agree with you 100%. You read my mind.  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Jan 12, 2008, 10:17 AM
  Very well stated MG, I feel Ennis's " I aint queer" is him distancing himself from the label, based on what he percieved it meant in his mind. Whatever definition "queer" meant to Ennis. Obviously it was a lable he did'nt want.
 When  he speaks of a "one shot" thing  "going on" (a contradiction in terms) I feel he is including the whole dance of courtship between him and Jack, leading up to and culminating in FNIT. That was ongoing, but that it can't last.  He is already in negative mode about the goings on in the tent. He is already defending what he feels is his "masculine honor" from this lable " queer"

 His homophobic ingrained teachings tells him that it's suppose to be wrong, but I feel Ennis felt alot right about it because of Jack. No matter how overwhelmingly wrong he thought it might be, he wanted Jack. With him, I feel it becomes a matter of *look at what I'm doing, not what I'm saying*. He had steeled himself from any negative judgements from Jack. They never came. In fact,  it is Jack's words "It's nobody's business but ours" that must have givin some comfort to Ennis, a feeling that Jack was in this with him , no blame, no judgements, no lables, paving they way to SNIT.

 Perhaps Jack was defining what they'd done with his "me niether" as just  two people who felt love for each other ,and expressed it in an act of love as many couples do. I tend to connect this scene up with the "no riens" scene where Ennis has now gone from a one-shot thing to confessing his uncontrollable desire to love Jack as long as they can ride it.  Full circle. MO.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 12, 2008, 11:28 AM
What you say is true, but in this story gay bashing was all too real, and real very much so for Ennis,  that he believes his father participated in it, how do you think this affected him?   I believe when he made the statement I'm not queer, is what I believe he thought of himself but this is when this split in him began.  We talk about how they lived on fringes of society, but wanting so much to be part of it.  So what  kept them on Brokeback Mountain?  They liked the scenery?  No but a  little word "queer", this word for Ennis meant death, thanks to dear old dad.    The beauty of their love, was confined to one place, but never stopped Ennis loving Jack or kept him away from Jack.  For me his love became totally internalized,  his love so deep , so big,  erupting at moments when he couldn't  contain it.   When they left the mountain that first summer, and he punches Jack, when he thought he might not see again,The Thanksgiving scene, Alma hit at the very heart of him, and who he was, the final confrontation, when Jack utters "I wish I knew how to quit you", which brings Ennis to his knees. 

"Queer" the word, was the deadly weapon, and kept them on that mountain.   We can argue whether Ennis was "Gay" or not till the cows come home, and that OK.   But can love supersede the fear ?

Ennis didn't understand he was loved until it was too late, and through his daughter he did understand it, because if she within one year knew the man she going to married loved her, he realized that Jack was telling him the same thing for the past twenty years. 

If there is on thing I've learned from this is how we, ourselves have to overcome our own fears, prejudices which keeps us trap on our own prison.

I hope I making sense.
 

You make perfect sense, manhattangirl. It is the internalized label that kept Ennis from seeing their love as it really is.

And you bring up a good point that I hadn't thought of, that hearing Alma Jr. speaking of Kurt loving her with such honesty and conviction made him realize how foolish he had been for twenty wasted years. Those tears in that scene are now more meaningful to me than ever. Thank you for that.

I think all of us here can accept Ennis as Ennis and Jack as Jack without labels but we wish it could be this easy for everyone else.

I agree with Asali also that it is precisely what we share in this forum that makes this place a home, a peaceful valley for rest, as Tony put it, that makes this a welcoming place without labels.

 <^( :c)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 14, 2008, 08:39 AM
tpe, I agree with the bolded and colored red section. It is the central theme of the movie, that love was denied, both as a result of social pressure, and Ennis' own internalized social pressure.

I also agree that even today there are millions of people who would consider love between same sexes as perverse. But isn't that a different label? As I mentioned in response to aintfoolin, it is not the label itself that I object to. It is the application of the label to an individual, when it is highly approximate. It is like calling a rose a flower, and expect that label to carry significant meaning or power of description. It is too generic, and too limited to convey the beauty and specialness of a rose, especially a particularly lovely rose at the edge of bloom. It is the same to same that a person is gay, and expect that label to fully describe the person. Ennis is gay, as far as his love for Jack is concerned, but it is not the same as the gay love, as between Jack and the Mexican hustlers, or even the gay love between Jack and Randall, or the many others, when he rode more than bulls during the four years after Brokeback Mountain. The statement Jack is gay, perhaps, has a higher truth value, than Ennis is gay. When is it acceptable to apply the label? I am certain everyone will have their own opinion on this, and as already mentioned, it is not required or necessary to achieve agreement. Just my two cents worth when it comes to labels, I am against them sticking to people, 100%. People who wants to apply the label to themselves, that's a different story...

In the matter of the word "love", what I wanted most to point out is that even with this most universal of terms, people are NOT in agreement as to its meanings, connotations, and contexts.  And it can be specific to an individual.  When we say that Ennis was in love only with Jack, many people would object that we use even the word "love" to describe it.  These people would object to our saying that Ennis was in love in the first place.  They would rather claim that he was confused. For these people, our use of the word love is not just highly approximate -- it is downright wrong.

I don't know.  I tend to think that Ennis embodies quite beautifully many gays here in the US prior to the 1960s, where repression and denial were the words that described the lifestyle of most homosexuals in this country.  Jack would have been the rare exception, being more "open" I suppose, to his own feelings.  So in this sense, Ennis probably is more representative of gayness before the sexual revolution -- I would bet that many elderly gay men who watched the movie would identify with Ennis rather than Jack.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 14, 2008, 09:00 AM
Similarly, historians often refer to Alexander as bisexual because of his love for Hephaestion. But was he really, or was he gay?

The point has been hotly debated, and historians even today are by no means convinced of bisexuality in this case -- on the contrary, historians from the time of Arrian and Plutarch have cited time and time again that Alexander seemed to have been more attracted to men and boys than to women -- in fact, this was what convinced the Persian king Darius that his mother and principal wife would remain inviolate after their capture by Alexander at the battle of Issus.

What is clear to many of these historians was that Alexander married Darius's daughter and the Bactrian Roxanna as a matter of policy, and not truly out of love.  "Love" was clearly reserved for Hephaestion and the Persian eunuch Bagoas.

One telling evidence cited by these historians is that Alexander and Hephaestion remained intimately close even after they were no longer ephebes -- beyond their teens and into their 20s.  This went beyond what was acceptable in Greece, where bisexuality was usually understood in terms of man-boy conventions, and what we now call homosexuality was understood in terms of man-man relationships.

Sorry, I digress.  But the fact that Jack and Ennis were intimately involved with each other way beyond their teens would not have been understood in terms of bisexuality in the Ancient World.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: AndyIOW on Jan 14, 2008, 09:51 AM
Watching the movie again last night at the NFT, I was reminded of Ang Lee's masterly strokes in giving us the first pointers towards Ennis' sexuality. On two seperate occasions,(jump off and E looking up to the mountains where J is working) the camera lingers on Ennis' gaze towards Jack. This I believe, is not the habit of straight man but rather, in this case, of a man who's sexuality is not really in question, just the realisation of it for probably the first time. I believe E to be naive but for the most part, honest. See how he looks on Jack as they ride home after sorting out the Chilean sheep. "You'll run the sheep off... '' he says with the most beguiling of smiles for Jack as he plays away at his harmonica. Ennis is gay, to my mind, as best described by AP as country gay. Up in the mountains he as free to let go of that part of himself that ordinarily be kept under lock and key. The moment he comes down from the mountain, the armour goes on and the denials take the reins. Up on the mountains's a different story. When AP described their love making as "brilliantly charged'', I just don't see a straight man nor one who believes himself gay only for Jack. Straight men don't **** other men, that's a gay man's job. Of course, as mentioned earlier, the definition of gay and straight bears discussion but I would simplify it as something to be likened to a bar code. Our sexuality is, essentially based at either end of the spectrum but for many of us and at diverse times, somewhere between the two extremes lay our own sexuality. Who the hell is anyone to pigeon hole us?
Here endeth my first lesson. ::) ::)

Andy.

PS, Looking at it that way, then it's assumed that gay men are as capable of relating sexually to a woman as  straight men are to a man. Something they either choose or a predisposed towards.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Jan 14, 2008, 10:47 AM
It occurs to me that a label is usually a piece of paper or card, often square or oblong, with straight sides and right-angled corners. In the middle it has a name or description, usually one word or a short phrase. in other words it is very limited, but once it's stuck on you don't look closely at the contents so it saves trouble. however, if one day you pick up the labelled object, examine it and find the contents are differnet from what the label has led you to expect, you may feel surprised, irritated, angry, bewildered, all sorts of things.
So maybe labels are just another way of limiting people, preventing them from thinking for themselves and predisposing them to think along specific lines.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 14, 2008, 11:40 AM
Andy, welcome to the discussion, and thanks for the first lesson.  :)


Let me address part of what you noted in your last post, along with WW's last comments.

There are certainly 2 tendencies at play: people who feel that the term "gay" pigeonholes them, and those who look at the term "gay" as something that liberates them.

The term "Jew" approximates this to a certain extent, no?  Although it primarily refers to blood lineage, Jewishness goes way beyond this, encompassing culture, history, and a societal identity.  One can also look at "Jew" in two ways: a tendency to pigeonhole/limit a person in ways that echo the mentality of the ghetto, or else, a defining identity that one takes to mean something special, something unqiue, something that is to be treasured -- something that puts a people apart.

Again, it is not the "label" that is at fault here.  It can mean many things, depending on an individual's point of view.





Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lachlan on Jan 18, 2008, 06:53 AM
I don't often get access to the internet and when I do it's brief,  so I haven't had an oportunity to read through this thread in depth.  However,  it made me recall an account some years ago of a meeting between the Mayor of Montreal and the President of Haiti.   The President asked the mayor just what percentage of Montreal's population is black.  "About 10%" was the reply.   Then the president responded with, "That's just the same as Haiti;  10% of our population is black."   Of course,  it makes sense when you consider that in Montreal a person of mixed ancestry is classed as "black";  in Haiti, they are regarded as "white".  In each case the exception to the majority.   This in turn reminded me of the British Liberal politician,  with a secure marriage and several children, who was once asked if he was "gay".  He said he wasn't. Some time later,  a tabloid newspaper attacked him for lying as they'd uncovered an incident in his youth in which he'd had sex with another fellow.  That, according to them, meant that he is "gay" and therefore dishonest. I know many men who are sexually active with women but,  do to circumstances or the fate of experience, have had a sexual encounter - even a relationship - with another male.  But, as that's not their standard practice, they would honestly feel odd being called "gay".  We would not out an openly "gay" man as "straight" because he had a sexual experience or two with a woman. I have known many "Ennis" types in my lifetime; I have a very deep relationship with one now.  He sees an attractive woman and is sexually aroused; an attractive man and he feels challenged.  Nevertheless,  he has indulged in sexual horseplay with another male while in the army and has had a loving relationship with me for many years;  occasionally physically expressed. He gets extremely annoyed if someone refers to him as "gay";  it seems limiting and quite inappropriate.  When Ennis said, "You know I ain't queer," he was stating his own feeling and will I respect him for it.  To him it is a loaded term and its implications seem quite inappropriate to the way he feels about himself.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Jan 18, 2008, 07:09 AM
Very good post lachlan, it makes a lot of sense.  O0 It certainly is a loaded term as there are just so many variations of sexuality rather than straight and gay.

I hope you get time to read this and many other interesting threads sometime.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 18, 2008, 07:51 AM
I don't often get access to the internet and when I do it's brief,  so I haven't had an oportunity to read through this thread in depth.  However,  it made me recall an account some years ago of a meeting between the Mayor of Montreal and the President of Haiti.   The President asked the mayor just what percentage of Montreal's population is black.  "About 10%" was the reply.   Then the president responded with, "That's just the same as Haiti;  10% of our population is black."   Of course,  it makes sense when you consider that in Montreal a person of mixed ancestry is classed as "black";  in Haiti, they are regarded as "white".  In each case the exception to the majority.   This in turn reminded me of the British Liberal politician,  with a secure marriage and several children, who was once asked if he was "gay".  He said he wasn't. Some time later,  a tabloid newspaper attacked him for lying as they'd uncovered an incident in his youth in which he'd had sex with another fellow.  That, according to them, meant that he is "gay" and therefore dishonest. I know many men who are sexually active with women but,  do to circumstances or the fate of experience, have had a sexual encounter - even a relationship - with another male.  But, as that's not their standard practice, they would honestly feel odd being called "gay".  We would not out an openly "gay" man as "straight" because he had a sexual experience or two with a woman. I have known many "Ennis" types in my lifetime; I have a very deep relationship with one now.  He sees an attractive woman and is sexually aroused; an attractive man and he feels challenged.  Nevertheless,  he has indulged in sexual horseplay with another male while in the army and has had a loving relationship with me for many years;  occasionally physically expressed. He gets extremely annoyed if someone refers to him as "gay";  it seems limiting and quite inappropriate.  When Ennis said, "You know I ain't queer," he was stating his own feeling and will I respect him for it.  To him it is a loaded term and its implications seem quite inappropriate to the way he feels about himself.

You are always welcome here, lachlan, whenever you find the time.  :)

All the studies in the late 20th century are careful to distinguish between whether a male is gay or had a homosexual experience.  In all these studies, it is the orientation that matters the most.

It is very well known from these studies that there is a percentage of straight males that have had one or more homosexual experiences in their lifetimes, and yet would consider their orientation to be staright.  What is less quoted is the NOT SO ASTONISHING fact that there was a SIGNIFICANT percentage of those who called themselves gay who had one or more HETEROSEXUAL experiences in their life -- far more significant that those among straights.

This should not surprise us, given that many gays up to the later part of the 20th century considered it necessary to marry or have sexual relations with women in order to maintain their cover.  Again, what mattered most in this was their ORIENTATION -- no matter what acts they had done (male-female or male-male/female-female), it was who they preferred to love and what connections were truly genuine.  It has never been in question that straight men are capable of homosexual relationships, and it has never been in question that gay men were capable of heterosexual relationships. 

The fact that the majority of older gays had had sexual relationships with women does not make them straight.  In the same fashion, straight men who have had homosexual experiences are not necessarily gay because of it.  If had to do with preference/orientation.

Now, let us go back to Ennis.  It is NOT that important whether or not he had sexual relationships with only one MALE and had multiple relationships with females.  From what we have just discussed, this proves nothing.  The pertinent question is that who did he truly love and connect with.  The answer is obvious: he loved Jack.

It can be argued ad infinitum whether or not this proves Ennis to be gay.  But I claim that this certainly is enough to prove that he wasn't straight.


 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Jan 18, 2008, 07:58 AM
It can be argued ad infinitum whether or not this proves Ennis to be gay.  But I claim that is certainly sufficient to prove that he wasn't straight.

So he wasn't straight because of his relationship with Jack but possibly not gay because Jack was the only male as far as we know he was attracted to :s)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 18, 2008, 08:05 AM
So he wasn't straight because of his relationship with Jack but possibly not gay because Jack was the only male as far as we know he was attracted to :s)

Not really.  :)  It can be argued that he was bisexual -- that he did love Alma as much as he loved Jack at some point in the relationship.  But this can be argued, and not really proven.  ;)

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Jan 18, 2008, 08:14 AM
I guess it comes down to sexual identity as opposed to sexual orientation.

Ennis identified as straight but this was not entirely his true sexual orientation as we know and if he had never met Jack would these feelings of homosexuality ever have come to light or would they have remained suppressed.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 18, 2008, 08:29 AM
You bring up an interesting distinction, Asali: identification versus orientation.  To some people, orientation may be less tricky, as some would claim that identification may not always reveal what is truly underneath the hood. 

I know this is not exactly what you mean, but I have known a few true bisexuals (as far as I could discern) where it does make sense to talk about identification.  One of them in particular has proposed to a straight woman who loves him and knows his condition.  He identifies with her strongly enough to propose marriage, even though he told her that he maintains a strong attachment to a male "friend".  The last time I heard, she is understandably wary of the proposal, and has not said yes.  I don't claim to understand fully what is at play here, but I find it most fascinating,

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 18, 2008, 09:05 AM


This may come as an aside, but there is a new movie out there that also seeks to address the complexities that BBM grappled with in relation the sexual identity and/or orientation.  But it muddies the waters a bit more by throwing in the subject of race.

http://ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=5007.msg669442#msg669442

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 18, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Well, like a moth to the flame, can't seem to resist posting here.  It's so difficult of an issue and am, lately, trying avoid the controversial
stuff, but, can't seem to follow through.
    Anyway, tpe, I hope eventually most people will see, as you and others do, that some sexual activity, same-gender, is not necessarily
defining.  Depends on the circumstances.  You've gone on, though, to underline that Ennis loved Jack, and placed great relevance to that,
as opposed to the sexuality.  And rightly so.  You can get around something 2 guys do, say, in prison, or in adolescent experimenting, but
when the issue of love comes up, that's a big wall to get over.
   Am willing to change my own views, if I ever have no way to sustain them.  But I think I could try to point out that the love issue can be
explained in the same way as the sexual issue......it was not generic.  I don't see Ennis as being able to love any other male than Jack, just
as I don't see him as capable of having same-gender sex with anyone else but Jack.  And also, when Jack broke down those walls, it would
seem to me, were Ennis gay or bi-, the walls having been brought down, the expected generic interest in other males should have been there,
and they never showed up.  It was always, only Jack, and neither the SS nor film show any movement to generic interest, which would have
to be there.  Shows up in Jack, yes. Not a trace, in Ennis. (which is maybe why there's no huge interest in a Was Jack Gay? thread).
   Also, would like to say, Lachlan's posts rang a bell.  Twice, I have posted here about an infrequent sub-group of straight guys that I have
run into, and then deleted those posts as too personal (although BabyTammy caught one of them before I deleted and wanted it back).
Ran into about 5 of them and noted around 25 characteristics they had in common.  That's a lot, and means those critters I've nicknamed
"Boxers", after the boxing sport, do exist as mathematical probability would not allow so much in common.  They are straight, and seem to
be vulnerable to one and only one male, and have no interest in any other males.  And they do well with women.  So I wondered if Lachlan
had run into one of these "Boxers".  Ennis had about 80% of those personality traits, so that was in my post.
  Anyway, back to the question.  Tpe, and others, have rejected the concept that any same-gender activity and you then are no longer straight.
He went further with the obvious further development, of love.  He has said before the issue can never really be settled and the best we can
do is explore and I am certain that is the best answer of all. Did want, however, to note---whether love or sex, when the walls came down,
Ennis had zero generic interest past Jack and THAT is something that is a driving force, not only in this issue, but in the further issue of,
just how great was this love?  That great?  To break every rule?  It is then not labels were dealing with, but that roaring train at the start
of the film, a force powerful enough to smash through anything in its way.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 18, 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks Tony, for sharing your thoughts.

A simplistic way to "define" gayness is to say that it seeks to describe a man who prefers the love of other men.  Again, I should stress that this is too simplistic to be all-encompassing of the reality, but it contains that grain of truth -- that it is the love that matters, and not the sexual act per se.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: AndyIOW on Jan 18, 2008, 05:15 PM
I guess it comes down to sexual identity as opposed to sexual orientation.

Ennis identified as straight but this was not entirely his true sexual orientation as we know and if he had never met Jack would these feelings of homosexuality ever have come to light or would they have remained suppressed.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: AndyIOW on Jan 18, 2008, 05:24 PM
I guess it comes down to sexual identity as opposed to sexual orientation.

Ennis identified as straight but this was not entirely his true sexual orientation as we know and if he had never met Jack would these feelings of homosexuality ever have come to light or would they have remained suppressed.

This is interesting.

I would say that Ennis was already aware of his feelings for other men, he just wasn't experienced (Yes, a virgin) and carrying around with him the greatest deterrent to do anything about it by way of his daddy. I think the portrayal of Ennis in the movie in the early scenes where he glances tellingly at Jack more than once tells us that as far as the director was concerned, Ennis had all that it took. Glad to say that in Jack he met the key to his locked heart and emotions but if he hadn't have met Jack, then he may well have gone through life a seriously closeted (even more so) and who knows, virgin window shopper.
To suppress something requires the knowledge and acceptance of it's existence... coming to light suggests an unawareness in the first place.  Like I say, very interesting.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Jan 18, 2008, 07:33 PM
This is interesting.

I would say that Ennis was already aware of his feelings for other men, he just wasn't experienced (Yes, a virgin) and carrying around with him the greatest deterrent to do anything about it by way of his daddy. I think the portrayal of Ennis in the movie in the early scenes where he glances tellingly at Jack more than once tells us that as far as the director was concerned, Ennis had all that it took. Glad to say that in Jack he met the key to his locked heart and emotions but if he hadn't have met Jack, then he may well have gone through life a seriously closeted (even more so) and who knows, virgin window shopper.
To suppress something requires the knowledge and acceptance of it's existence... coming to light suggests an unawareness in the first place.  Like I say, very interesting.


 I love this topic, such a personal question ..Was Ennis Gay?  I so agree with all the above very interesting  posts and would like to add.
 It was such a secretive thing to Ennis. His personality was not open. More withdrawn  in fact ,which contributes to the "private" aspects of his feeling s for Jack. He was sneaking with Jack while still with Alma which says alot. I think Jack was his FIRST true love though he  did marry her.  His first experience with real love., impacting him the most.

I also feel that Ennis came to NEED Jack in his life. Had friendship, companionship and love all wrapped up in one person.  Frankly, imo even  if Alma was a different kind of woman and not divorced Ennis  going on to accept her husband's "other life" I feel Ennis would've  went on seeing Jack anyway. While IDing as straight Ennis just could'nt stay away. This to me indicates that he  fell in love with Jack, preferred his company over his wife's.

 There is also  a need for him to fit into society but  has the knowledge that his community is not beholding to gays, as he had seen , thus the secrecy , but  "aint no reins on this one "speaks volumes. It means that Ennis , at some point has come to terms with his feelings for Jack. He is admitting to himself as well as Jack that even if he wanted to, he could'nt help wanting him. Not just sexually, but in everyway ,yet acknowledging  he was not free to have this life whenever he wanted.

Still does'nt state firmly that he was gay, only that anyone can can fall in love with anyone if the time, place and person is right. I also feel that his experiences with Jack may have opened Ennis up to admiring other guys, if not ever acting on it ,but still recognizing the possibilities. My take.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 19, 2008, 12:02 AM
I don't often get access to the internet and when I do it's brief,  so I haven't had an oportunity to read through this thread in depth.  However,  it made me recall an account some years ago of a meeting between the Mayor of Montreal and the President of Haiti.   The President asked the mayor just what percentage of Montreal's population is black.  "About 10%" was the reply.   Then the president responded with, "That's just the same as Haiti;  10% of our population is black."   Of course,  it makes sense when you consider that in Montreal a person of mixed ancestry is classed as "black";  in Haiti, they are regarded as "white".  In each case the exception to the majority.   This in turn reminded me of the British Liberal politician,  with a secure marriage and several children, who was once asked if he was "gay".  He said he wasn't. Some time later,  a tabloid newspaper attacked him for lying as they'd uncovered an incident in his youth in which he'd had sex with another fellow.  That, according to them, meant that he is "gay" and therefore dishonest. I know many men who are sexually active with women but,  do to circumstances or the fate of experience, have had a sexual encounter - even a relationship - with another male.  But, as that's not their standard practice, they would honestly feel odd being called "gay".  We would not out an openly "gay" man as "straight" because he had a sexual experience or two with a woman. I have known many "Ennis" types in my lifetime; I have a very deep relationship with one now.  He sees an attractive woman and is sexually aroused; an attractive man and he feels challenged.  Nevertheless,  he has indulged in sexual horseplay with another male while in the army and has had a loving relationship with me for many years;  occasionally physically expressed. He gets extremely annoyed if someone refers to him as "gay";  it seems limiting and quite inappropriate.  When Ennis said, "You know I ain't queer," he was stating his own feeling and will I respect him for it.  To him it is a loaded term and its implications seem quite inappropriate to the way he feels about himself.

You said exactly so well what I have been unable to express. Thank you. As much as I applaud the Gay and Proud attitude, I also believe that there are individuals who do not fit into the "gay" mold. I like particularly you statement about "outing" a gay man for having had sex with a woman. To me, sexuality is a very private issue, and a person's privacy should be respected. I think everyone should be allowed to express themselves however they like, as long as it does not interfere with the lives of others in a destructive way. For example, in the movie I watched recently, Mambo Italiano, a "gay" couple are closeted. One is a macho muscular cop and the other is a more sensitive artistic writer. When Angelo, the latter wants to come out to his family, his boyfriend objected vehemently, and eventually they broke up, with him marrying a woman.

Angelo is certainly gay. But is his boyfriend gay or bi? Only he knows for sure.

My point is only that a label is insignificant compared to the relationship, of any kind or gender. Ennis placed too much importance on the label queer, and missed out on the most important love of his life for twenty years. He finally embraced that love, but alone. Is he gay at that point? Does he fit any conventional definition of being gay? Does it matter?

Thanks, lachlan, when you take your limited online time to post such eloquent explanation of our beloved Ennis.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 19, 2008, 12:05 AM
You are always welcome here, lachlan, whenever you find the time.  :)

All the studies in the late 20th century are careful to distinguish between whether a male is gay or had a homosexual experience.  In all these studies, it is the orientation that matters the most.

[...]

Now, let us go back to Ennis.  It is NOT that important whether or not he had sexual relationships with only one MALE and had multiple relationships with females.  From what we have just discussed, this proves nothing.  The pertinent question is that who did he truly love and connect with.  The answer is obvious: he loved Jack.

It can be argued ad infinitum whether or not this proves Ennis to be gay.  But I claim that this certainly is enough to prove that he wasn't straight.
 

I agree with you there, tpe. Being straight is overrated, anyhow. :)

By the way, since we are getting into definitions, how would you define orientation? Do you mean sexual arousal or do you mean romantic attraction? I understand we are stepping into fuzzy areas where definitive sharp boundaries are impossible, but I just want to make a distinction between Ennis' attraction to Jack, which is one-of, and Jack's attraction to men, which is generic. Jack also loved Ennis, and Ennis only, but he was also attracted to other men. This was NOT the case with Ennis, at least in the short story, and certainly by all appearances in the movie also.

So, Ennis is certainly not straight (as in 100% straight), but you can hardly claim that he is 100% gay like Jack.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 19, 2008, 12:17 AM
    Well, like a moth to the flame, can't seem to resist posting here.  It's so difficult of an issue and am, lately, trying avoid the controversial stuff, but, can't seem to follow through.
    Anyway, tpe, I hope eventually most people will see, as you and others do, that some sexual activity, same-gender, is not necessarily defining.  Depends on the circumstances.  You've gone on, though, to underline that Ennis loved Jack, and placed great relevance to that, as opposed to the sexuality.  And rightly so.  You can get around something 2 guys do, say, in prison, or in adolescent experimenting, but when the issue of love comes up, that's a big wall to get over.
   Am willing to change my own views, if I ever have no way to sustain them.  But I think I could try to point out that the love issue can be explained in the same way as the sexual issue......it was not generic.  I don't see Ennis as being able to love any other male than Jack, just
as I don't see him as capable of having same-gender sex with anyone else but Jack.  And also, when Jack broke down those walls, it would seem to me, were Ennis gay or bi-, the walls having been brought down, the expected generic interest in other males should have been there,
and they never showed up.  It was always, only Jack, and neither the SS nor film show any movement to generic interest, which would have to be there.  Shows up in Jack, yes. Not a trace, in Ennis. (which is maybe why there's no huge interest in a Was Jack Gay? thread).
   Also, would like to say, Lachlan's posts rang a bell.  Twice, I have posted here about an infrequent sub-group of straight guys that I have run into, and then deleted those posts as too personal (although BabyTammy caught one of them before I deleted and wanted it back).
Ran into about 5 of them and noted around 25 characteristics they had in common.  That's a lot, and means those critters I've nicknamed "Boxers", after the boxing sport, do exist as mathematical probability would not allow so much in common.  They are straight, and seem to
be vulnerable to one and only one male, and have no interest in any other males.  And they do well with women.  So I wondered if Lachlan had run into one of these "Boxers".  Ennis had about 80% of those personality traits, so that was in my post.
  Anyway, back to the question.  Tpe, and others, have rejected the concept that any same-gender activity and you then are no longer straight.
He went further with the obvious further development, of love.  He has said before the issue can never really be settled and the best we can do is explore and I am certain that is the best answer of all. Did want, however, to note---whether love or sex, when the walls came down, Ennis had zero generic interest past Jack and THAT is something that is a driving force, not only in this issue, but in the further issue of, just how great was this love?  That great?  To break every rule?  It is then not labels were dealing with, but that roaring train at the start of the film, a force powerful enough to smash through anything in its way.

Tony, your analysis is always amazing. 25 Boxer personality traits, and Ennis has 80%. I believe this deserves its own thread and I for one would love to learn from the master. But, I also understand this can be a personal subject and will not push for further information if you do not wish it.

I just want to appreciate your final paragraph, bolded above, which links the imagery of the roaring train with the love that is a force of nature, powerful enough to smash through Ennis' fortress, and turn the man, whatever his orientation, into a lover.

Thanks for that.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jan 19, 2008, 01:18 AM
Tony, you are so very astute about Ennis's feelings for Jack and only Jack.  I'm not sure if this puts Ennis into any particularly named category ( and don't really care), but it certainly describes Ennis.  As you say, there is nothing generic about Ennis's feelings toward this one and only man.  Personally, I think this is the big difference between Jack and Ennis, and the main reason I have always maintained that Ennis is not gay in the sense of prefering man/man love exclusively.  I like your term "generic" to differentiate between Ennis's and Jack's sexual identities.  That's a clean and clear word that sums up Jack so very well. Jack wanted/needed same sex activitiy ( whether sex or love) and actively went after it. Ennis, however, was interested in only Jack.  This is also why I maintain that the friendship came first with Ennis, then the physical possibilities.  Jack answered the need Ennis had for intimacy with another human being first; then he answered the need for a physical partner. Wonderful discussion once again, Tony.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Jan 19, 2008, 07:41 AM
Tony, you are so very astute about Ennis's feelings for Jack and only Jack.  I'm not sure if this puts Ennis into any particularly named category ( and don't really care), but it certainly describes Ennis.  As you say, there is nothing generic about Ennis's feelings toward this one and only man.  Personally, I think this is the big difference between Jack and Ennis, and the main reason I have always maintained that Ennis is not gay in the sense of prefering man/man love exclusively.  I like your term "generic" to differentiate between Ennis's and Jack's sexual identities.  That's a clean and clear word that sums up Jack so very well. Jack wanted/needed same sex activitiy ( whether sex or love) and actively went after it. Ennis, however, was interested in only Jack.  This is also why I maintain that the friendship came first with Ennis, then the physical possibilities.  Jack answered the need Ennis had for intimacy with another human being first; then he answered the need for a physical partner. Wonderful discussion once again, Tony.

So well said LM!!! I've always thought like that!!

Amazing post Tony; BTW you should post "that post" I read.......It was great.

Andrew I agree with you 100%.

So I think I'm in your team guys (LM, LC, and Tony). So beautiful posts.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 19, 2008, 12:19 PM
   Well, here goes another attempt to get past my reluctance to describe something I encountered in my life that may have some relevance
to Ennis' sexuality.  I had posted, twice before, about a sub-group of males that I nicknamed "Boxers" and then deleted them.  BabyTammy
caught one of them and urged me to reconsider.  I will try, again, because I think there's several of you that might be interested.
   I have had 5 affairs, over the years, that did not make sense, as the guys were straight, and had zero interest in other males.  Since they,
er...,focused on my own relief, they were difficult to fend off.  But why I deleted was the strong resentment towards me that these relationships
provoked.  My gay friends were stupefied, and some of them deeply disturbed by their definitions not holding up.  And gay-tolerant women
were very threatened, it seemed, by the existence of this sub-group.
   I was very confused by the similarities of these guys, in personality traits, that I began listing them, and quit counting, at 25 shared traits.
Lance, and Ayashae, with their scientific backgrounds, might understand better that the mathematical improbability means---these critters,
this sub-group, do exist.  But another way of explaining is: How many people prefer the color blue? A limited number. How many prefer blue and
tennis is their favorite sport? Narrows it down further. Narrow down by 25 traits, and you've got ssomething not random but, a "type".
   Am doing this in 2 posts.  The one immediately following will list some of those traits and compare them to Ennis.  In the interest of fairness,
I have not skewed them towards those that show up in Ennis.  If nothing else, I hope these 2 posts are considered neutral, with regard to
the "label" issue and only an additional piece of experience that may, or may not relate to Ennis, as you see fit.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 19, 2008, 01:12 PM
   Here are the characteristics of the group, referred to, above, as "Boxers" and whether Ennis fit the profile.

   1) are the last person in the room you would consider as possibly                  Ennis-very much along these lines
       having same-gender sex.  A kind of casual virility, not posed, or
       over-done---very natural and inspiring confidence in other males.

   2) get along well with other men, but are basically loners, and have               Ennis- Bullseye
       no close male friends.

   3) Very non-verbal.  Takes a crowbar to get any words out of them              Ennis- dead-on bullseye

   4) Ok with, but not really into competing in team sports.  Good at                 Ennis- unclear. Good at riding horses, but no real info here
      individual sports (track, swimming, martial arts, boxing), from which
      I came up with the nickname-Boxer

   5) do not identify themselves as gay, and, uh....by their awkwardness           Ennis-we do know, he showed no interest in anyone but Jack
      prove their inexperience.  Have zero interest in other males and, further,
      find that thought repulsive.

   6) have an unexpected heroic streak.  These are the guys who suddenly       Ennis-very heroic with the bullies at the 4th of July incident
       get tough, in a crisis.  One was the most highly decorated war hero
       from my city.

   7) function very well with women, but usually end up as good husbands        Ennis-can't easily compare, although he tried to be a good husband
       on the 2nd or 3rd try, and then it's for a lifetime.

   8) an unusual simplicity in expecting day-to-day transactions being             Ennis-nothing here, except he did not want a loan from Jack, and
      fair.  Greatly resent being stolen from, or being used, financially                     and kept money issues out of the relationship.
 
   9) unusually hygienic                                                                           Ennis- unknown
 
 10) need affection, but never kissing on the mouth                                     Ennis- SNIT says ---the opposite

 11)derive a sense of power by providing relief, and prefer                             Ennis---the opposite, from what we know
     being a bottom dude

 12) very controlling as to when sex occurs.  I ended that last                       Ennis- this was the central problem.  He set up the schedule.
     relationship, calling it "drive-by sex"

That's enough.  The other traits, 25, and counting, have a much higher corelation to Ennis, but the above are primary traits.  The best I could
make of Boxers was that they were haunted by loneliness, found in me someone they felt they could trust, looked for an extremely close friendship,
and then saw that the way to enforce that friendship was by a sexual affair.  The key word is "enforcing".  It was important to them that we
stayed on close terms.
   I regret the length of these posts, and, trust me, I regret their unusual nature (which is why I deleted them before).  But there are several of
you that might find this strange sub-group of interest.  And, please---am not trying to bolster the Ennis was straight theory.  But this might
explain why I have tilted in that direction.  I follow, absolutely, tpe's saying the issue can never be finally settled and maybe shouldn't be.
And also Heath Ledger's remark that he hoped  BBM raised more questions, rather than giving a definitive answer.
  If I'm road-kill again, from these posts, oh,well.... BabyTammy asked me to try again, so did Lance, and so I did.
                   



                   


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 19, 2008, 01:20 PM
   The emoticon on trait #8 was not from me.  Probably a moderator on their 3rd martini.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 19, 2008, 01:21 PM
   Well, here goes another attempt to get past my reluctance to describe something I encountered in my life that may have some relevance
to Ennis' sexuality.  I had posted, twice before, about a sub-group of males that I nicknamed "Boxers" and then deleted them.  BabyTammy
caught one of them and urged me to reconsider.  I will try, again, because I think there's several of you that might be interested.
   I have had 5 affairs, over the years, that did not make sense, as the guys were straight, and had zero interest in other males.  Since they,
er...,focused on my own relief, they were difficult to fend off.  But why I deleted was the strong resentment towards me that these relationships
provoked.  My gay friends were stupefied, and some of them deeply disturbed by their definitions not holding up.  And gay-tolerant women
were very threatened, it seemed, by the existence of this sub-group.
   I was very confused by the similarities of these guys, in personality traits, that I began listing them, and quit counting, at 25 shared traits.
Lance, and Ayashae, with their scientific backgrounds, might understand better that the mathematical improbability means---these critters,
this sub-group, do exist.  But another way of explaining is: How many people prefer the color blue? A limited number. How many prefer blue and
tennis is their favorite sport? Narrows it down further. Narrow down by 25 traits, and you've got ssomething not random but, a "type".
   Am doing this in 2 posts.  The one immediately following will list some of those traits and compare them to Ennis.  In the interest of fairness,
I have not skewed them towards those that show up in Ennis.  If nothing else, I hope these 2 posts are considered neutral, with regard to
the "label" issue and only an additional piece of experience that may, or may not relate to Ennis, as you see fit.

Hi, Tony. You raised a couple interesting points.

Firstly, the resentment from the gay community and the gay-tolerant women feeling threatened by the straight men who veer astray, so to speak, are coming from two different places. I think some members of the gay community believe that (rightly or wrongly is another issue) some gay men hide behind the label of bisexuality in order not to be totally honest with their own homophobia, as Ennis was accused. On the other hand, the straight women are concerned that their husbands can be unfaithful, and they feel (rightly) that they cannot compete against a man for his heart, if that is his orientation. The women want certainty and commitment in the faithfulness of the husband. Anything that raises that doubt is a threat to them. I understand and appreciate that. It is a difficult choice to make, whether to stand by a man who you thought you knew when you were married. Oprah did a few shows on this and they are all worth watching to understand the different personalities and circumstances, including a man who became a woman, with the wife's support.

Secondly, the shared traits in your boxers are not surprising since there are many personality tests that categorize and "label" people into types, i.e. Myers-Briggs, among many others, and they are valid generalization of a particular specific personality trait. However, I would NOT go further and begin "Predicting" who is a boxer by matching these twenty five traits. There is a difference between finding similarities among a group, and finding an "exclusive definition" of a group. I look forward to your sharing your personal experience. Thank you.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 19, 2008, 01:50 PM
Hi, Tony, thanks for the post. I formatted your text in a table for easier reading. Please correct me if I misplaced anything.

Looking at these traits, I can see Ennis fits into many as you indicated. As well as being hygienic. His trailer is spotless. I can also recognize many of these traits in the one affair in my past, including the "drive-by" one. That was also the breaking point for me. I hadn't thought about him for a quite a while. We were together only briefly almost twenty years ago. He was the first affair I had, and I can see his resemblance to Ennis, now that you mentioned it. Of all the ill-fated affairs in the past, I missed him the most. He would call up out of the blue, come over, and we would live the motel scene in the short story. After a while, I met someone else who wanted more than drive-by, but that was a mistake, too, but I digress.

I think the central core of these characteristics is a man's man who is comfortable in his own skin, but is also lonely and enjoys the company of another man who he respects, who is also comfortable in his own skin, who he can relate to without pretense or expectations. The sex was secondary for the purpose of fulfilling the partner. The companionship is the core.

Thanks, again, Tony, for sharing this.

   Here are the characteristics of the group, referred to, above, as "Boxers" and whether Ennis fit the profile.
1 ) are the last person in the room you would consider as possibly having same-gender sex.  A kind of casual virility, not posed, or over-done---very natural and inspiring confidence in other males. Ennis-very much along these lines
2 ) get along well with other men, but are basically loners, and have no close male friends.Ennis- Bullseye
3 ) Very non-verbal.  Takes a crowbar to get any words out of themEnnis- dead-on bullseye
4 ) Ok with, but not really into competing in team sports.  Good at individual sports (track, swimming, martial arts, boxing), from which I came up with the nickname-BoxerEnnis- unclear. Good at riding horses, but no real info here
5 ) do not identify themselves as gay, and, uh....by their awkwardness prove their inexperience.  Have zero interest in other males and, further, find that thought repulsive.Ennis-we do know, he showed no interest in anyone but Jack
6 ) have an unexpected heroic streak.  These are the guys who suddenly get tough, in a crisis.  One was the most highly decorated war hero from my city.Ennis-very heroic with the bullies at the 4th of July incident
7 ) function very well with women, but usually end up as good husbands on the 2nd or 3rd try, and then it's for a lifetime.Ennis-can't easily compare, although he tried to be a good husband
8 ) an unusual simplicity in expecting day-to-day transactions being fair.  Greatly resent being stolen from, or being used, financially and kept money issues out of the relationship.
Ennis-nothing here, except he did not want a loan from Jack
   9 ) unusually hygienicEnnis- unknown
10 ) need affection, but never kissing on the mouthEnnis- SNIT says ---the opposite
11 )derive a sense of power by providing relief, and prefer being a bottom dude
Ennis---the opposite, from what we know
12 ) very controlling as to when sex occurs.  I ended that last relationship, calling it "drive-by sex"Ennis- this was the central problem.  He set up the schedule.

That's enough.  The other traits, 25, and counting, have a much higher corelation to Ennis, but the above are primary traits.  The best I could make of Boxers was that they were haunted by loneliness, found in me someone they felt they could trust, looked for an extremely close friendship, and then saw that the way to enforce that friendship was by a sexual affair.  The key word is "enforcing".  It was important to them that we stayed on close terms.
   I regret the length of these posts, and, trust me, I regret their unusual nature (which is why I deleted them before).  But there are several of you that might find this strange sub-group of interest.  And, please---am not trying to bolster the Ennis was straight theory.  But this might
explain why I have tilted in that direction.  I follow, absolutely, tpe's saying the issue can never be finally settled and maybe shouldn't be.
And also Heath Ledger's remark that he hoped  BBM raised more questions, rather than giving a definitive answer.
  If I'm road-kill again, from these posts, oh,well.... BabyTammy asked me to try again, so did Lance, and so I did.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 19, 2008, 01:52 PM
   The emoticon on trait #8 was not from me.  Probably a moderator on their 3rd martini.
No, it ain't the moderator. It's the cool emoticon 8 ) make sure there is no space between 8 and the paranthesis. 8)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jan 19, 2008, 02:25 PM
Once again, Tony, you have made your point very well.  IF we need to categorize people's sexuality, and IF we have to use labels, yours certainly make sense and Ennis certainly fits the Boxer's description.  I'm sure you find it hard to share some of the more personal parts of your own history, but they do help clarify your thoughts, and thus, help others to understand your very astute deductions.
      I do not intend to change the topic, but I just have to say ONE thing about labels -- something I have avoided commenting upon, but just can't keep my mouth shut any longer.  You touched upon this when you discussed the future which will further and further delineate everyone by narrowing all the definitions.  Historically, it is labels that have ruled the day: one drop of Jewish blood got you the concentration camp and death; one drop of Negroid blood got you enslaved; one drop of holy water saved your soul while everyone went to hell, etc.  As horrific as these things were, they were real and those who subscribed to them were the real monsters on this earth.  Can a label ever be a good thing?  Perhaps when stratefying species or classifying blood types, etc.  But labels that serve to box in certain individuals remain as deadly today as they ever were, and they frighten me in a way nothing else can.  I know some people feel the need to, in their own mind, at least, pinpoint Ennis's sexuality for once and for all, but I wonder why there is that need? What makes human beings think they need to know everything and have the right to injure others in their search?  Oh, well, just another rant!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 19, 2008, 02:46 PM
     Lance, I knew you would come through for me, accept the information as reasonable enough, and add in some useful observations.  And I am
very sorry for your lost love.  In my case, I miss the Boxers....as friends, as I have a strong male tribal need for friendship with other males without
reference to sex.
   Lamusica, am so very gratified that you, too, see the eventual problem of our being ever more pegged by scientific tests that are emerging.
You made reference to those extreme times in history, when just one part of oneself being related to a group being battered or killed, made you
subject to those same extremes.  There is an historic battle, ongoing, to find out why we can, as human beings, be so oppressive on a massive
scale.  And the humanities, in college, are where we are lagging.  Maybe because they can't find the courage to study the grotesque.  We need
to know WHY the prison guards at Auschwitz went home to their wives and felt sorry...for THEMSELVES!!!!  We've got to learn the equations
created by the human mind that can allow this, and then---disrupt them.
  Many abusive people have a hidden equation that THEY are the victim.  Disrupt that, and their ability to justify causing pain is undermined.
I'm interested, Lamusica, more than you can ever know, in finding out the why. Until then, we have to do as you do, and as the film BBM does,
ask questions and promote tolerance, and resist co-operating with the uglies of the world.
  But the matter of labels....I do leave that to be settled by the rest of you.  Just know that the goodness of your heart is a joy to me.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 19, 2008, 03:28 PM
   Oh, gosh-am having trouble keeping myself from multiple-posting.  We're due a snowstorm here in Norfolk, this evening, and it's got me jittery,
in case it's real bad and the power goes out.
   Lamusica, back to labels.  Whether we believe in the Old Testament or not, it is interesting that the Lord had the animals brought before
Adam for him to name, or, if you will, label.  This spoke to the freedom he granted Adam, but also shows that we have an inherent need to
classify, or label.  The same Lord refused, Himself, to be labelled, when Moses asked Him His name, skirting the issue by saying I am, Who is.
  So, I do well understand your pointing at labels as one source of the troubles, but, myself, want there to be no set-in-stone labels where
that is not called for and denies the fluidity of the human experience.  And, much further, where labels or categories are definable, I would
move to the fighting ground of why a particular group, category, or label, where it might apply, must be oppressed or provoke evil.
  Labels, for me, then, are a trouble ground when they are arbitrary, inflexible, and deny the human tendency to be multi-faceted.  They are
always going to be there.  In this thread, then, am not seeing any threat from our attempting to explore Ennis or even, each of us come to
a label or definition with which we are comfortable.  I like, on the one hand, the search for definition. On the other hand, like you, and most
of the others, I see trouble in fast and loose categorizing, and also know, we have to de-toxify any labels, as they'll never go away. They are
part of how we think.  Aintfoolin has done an excellent job of balancing there. that categories may well exist, and then saying, it's still OK.
That's where I am.  Gotta go get some food before the snow starts, and I hope my multiple posts aren't annoying the others.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 19, 2008, 09:12 PM
Once again, Tony, you have made your point very well.  IF we need to categorize people's sexuality, and IF we have to use labels, yours certainly make sense and Ennis certainly fits the Boxer's description.  I'm sure you find it hard to share some of the more personal parts of your own history, but they do help clarify your thoughts, and thus, help others to understand your very astute deductions.
      I do not intend to change the topic, but I just have to say ONE thing about labels -- something I have avoided commenting upon, but just can't keep my mouth shut any longer.  You touched upon this when you discussed the future which will further and further delineate everyone by narrowing all the definitions.  Historically, it is labels that have ruled the day: one drop of Jewish blood got you the concentration camp and death; one drop of Negroid blood got you enslaved; one drop of holy water saved your soul while everyone went to hell, etc.  As horrific as these things were, they were real and those who subscribed to them were the real monsters on this earth.  Can a label ever be a good thing?  Perhaps when stratefying species or classifying blood types, etc.  But labels that serve to box in certain individuals remain as deadly today as they ever were, and they frighten me in a way nothing else can.  I know some people feel the need to, in their own mind, at least, pinpoint Ennis's sexuality for once and for all, but I wonder why there is that need? What makes human beings think they need to know everything and have the right to injure others in their search?  Oh, well, just another rant!

Rant away, lamusica, and I agree with you 100%. However, I state further that it is not the categorization of reality that is the problem, but the wrongful application of generalization to the specific individual, which creates misery and injustice, as you so poignantly pointed out.

The generalization of the boxer type is to go from the specific to the generic, in order to understand the similarities between the individuals. Not necessarily to group them together in a category, but to indicate that there is some kind of correlation of these traits. The problem as I indicated in an earlier post, is the apply this generalization incorrectly to an individual, blindly assuming that it can go in the other direction. Unfortunately, most generalizations are not bidirectional. To define an individual as belong to a specific category requires more stringent and rigorous definitions that usually are not possible, as we have seen.

Generalization is a powerful tool of cognition that allowed humans to evolve. Just like other powerful tools, we have not learned the lessons of the past, and sometimes misuse them terribly.

Just my two bits of jargons.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 19, 2008, 09:26 PM
Hi, Tony, I hope the snowstorm will pass okay without causing power interruptions. I will miss your posts otherwise. My response to your excellent comments are below.

   Oh, gosh-am having trouble keeping myself from multiple-posting.  We're due a snowstorm here in Norfolk, this evening, and it's got me jittery,
in case it's real bad and the power goes out.
   Lamusica, back to labels.  Whether we believe in the Old Testament or not, it is interesting that the Lord had the animals brought before
Adam for him to name, or, if you will, label.  This spoke to the freedom he granted Adam, but also shows that we have an inherent need to
classify, or label.  The same Lord refused, Himself, to be labelled, when Moses asked Him His name, skirting the issue by saying I am, Who is.
  So, I do well understand your pointing at labels as one source of the troubles, but, myself, want there to be no set-in-stone labels where
that is not called for and denies the fluidity of the human experience.  And, much further, where labels or categories are definable, I would
move to the fighting ground of why a particular group, category, or label, where it might apply, must be oppressed or provoke evil.
  Labels, for me, then, are a trouble ground when they are arbitrary, inflexible, and deny the human tendency to be multi-faceted.  They are
always going to be there.  In this thread, then, am not seeing any threat from our attempting to explore Ennis or even, each of us come to
a label or definition with which we are comfortable.  I like, on the one hand, the search for definition. On the other hand, like you, and most
of the others, I see trouble in fast and loose categorizing, and also know, we have to de-toxify any labels, as they'll never go away. They are
part of how we think.
  Aintfoolin has done an excellent job of balancing there. that categories may well exist, and then saying, it's still OK.
That's where I am.  Gotta go get some food before the snow starts, and I hope my multiple posts aren't annoying the others.

I agree with you about the difference between labels and definitions, in terms of their flexibility and changeability. Definitions, like scientific proofs, are work in progress, tools to gain better understanding of what is real. Labels, when inflexible and unchangeable, are mere excuses to tagged preconceived notions of what one believes, and project that onto the world.

You raised a good point that labels need to be de-toxified. And gay, queer, what have you, is certainly one label that has been detoxed by the likes of Will and Grace, and other popular media that projects a less stereotyped, and more balanced image of gay men. Unfortunately, a new gay stereotype is in the process of being created which is equally damaging to young gay psyche. Being gay doesn't give one extra power in design and color, or what have you. It is simply another facet of the human experience, like preferring blonds over brunettes, or strawberry over vanilla. Someday, they may find the genetic definition of these traits, or not, but until then, to detoxify them, these labels need to be re-defined with neutral meaning that has zero connotation that are not true. It is a tall order, but I think Brokeback Mountain has achieved a large measure of that by showing a love that transcends gay or straight. It simply is.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 19, 2008, 09:35 PM
     Lance, I knew you would come through for me, accept the information as reasonable enough, and add in some useful observations.  And I am very sorry for your lost love.  In my case, I miss the Boxers....as friends, as I have a strong male tribal need for friendship with other males without reference to sex.
   Lamusica, am so very gratified that you, too, see the eventual problem of our being ever more pegged by scientific tests that are emerging. You made reference to those extreme times in history, when just one part of oneself being related to a group being battered or killed, made you subject to those same extremes.  There is an historic battle, ongoing, to find out why we can, as human beings, be so oppressive on a massive scale.  And the humanities, in college, are where we are lagging.  Maybe because they can't find the courage to study the grotesque.  We need
to know WHY the prison guards at Auschwitz went home to their wives and felt sorry...for THEMSELVES!!!!  We've got to learn the equations created by the human mind that can allow this, and then---disrupt them.
  Many abusive people have a hidden equation that THEY are the victim.  Disrupt that, and their ability to justify causing pain is undermined. I'm interested, Lamusica, more than you can ever know, in finding out the why. Until then, we have to do as you do, and as the film BBM does,
ask questions and promote tolerance, and resist co-operating with the uglies of the world.
  But the matter of labels....I do leave that to be settled by the rest of you.  Just know that the goodness of your heart is a joy to me.

Tony, thank you for your understanding and caring. This discussion about "boxers" made me realize another reason why I am affected, and identified with Ennis so much. But that's another thread/topic.

We can start a new topic to discuss the horror of the past, specifically the nature of evil, which is the only word that describes the concentration camps, and slavery etc. As for the prison guards you mentioned, I believe the movie Nuremberg Trials had a good answer. It was the lack of empathy. Evil deeds are done by those who have no empathy for their victims, and as you said, often justified their deeds by claiming to be the victim. Furthermore, they justify their lack of empathy by demonizing their victims, claiming they are subhuman, bad, indeed evil. It is a fine line to label someone as evil, and to identify the acts, the consequences of someone who had done evil deeds as evil. Judge a tree by its fruits.

Thanks again for always raising great points for discussion.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jan 19, 2008, 10:31 PM
Tony, Lance-- I realize a true mark of human intelligence is to accurately categorize and define our surroundings -- to constantly hone in closer and closer to the defining essence that captures the difference between one thing and another. (Thus the Miller's Analogy Test many of us have taken somewhere along the way.)  I have no trouble with insisting on the pinpointed definition of everything, so long as those definitions do not LIMIT the thing defined, thus harming it in some way. I really have no trouble with brokies trying to define Ennis's sexuality because I know HERE it will make no difference.  HERE no one will judge, shun, hate, etc.  But, in the world at large, that is not true.  The labelization of anything is potentially damaging,IMHO.  As I said earlier, of course we have to categorize what is around us in order to understand the universe and our place in it.  But we have to be eternally vigilant to never let these labels put anyone into a situation where he is made to appear LESS.
        Lance, your idea about a thread on the nature of evil is a good one!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 19, 2008, 10:58 PM
Tony, Lance-- I realize a true mark of human intelligence is to accurately categorize and define our surroundings -- to constantly hone in closer and closer to the defining essence that captures the difference between one thing and another. (Thus the Miller's Analogy Test many of us have taken somewhere along the way.)  I have no trouble with insisting on the pinpointed definition of everything, so long as those definitions do not LIMIT the thing defined, thus harming it in some way. I really have no trouble with brokies trying to define Ennis's sexuality because I know HERE it will make no difference.  HERE no one will judge, shun, hate, etc.  But, in the world at large, that is not true.  The labelization of anything is potentially damaging,IMHO.  As I said earlier, of course we have to categorize what is around us in order to understand the universe and our place in it.  But we have to be eternally vigilant to never let these labels put anyone into a situation where he is made to appear LESS.
        Lance, your idea about a thread on the nature of evil is a good one!

 :clap: Brava! I can't agree with you more.  :clap:

And I am always grateful that here, in this valley of peace and respite, we can respect each other's opinions, nurture each other's defenses against the hard cold world outside, and always remain friends, without the need to say out loud, what is unspoken, the love that we share.

 :ghug: <^( :c)

PS I will follow other's lead to start the new thread on the nature of evil. Scott Peck wrote a very good book on that subject, People of the Lie. I am a little overly tired nowadays. That's another heavy topic perhaps too much for me to bear. I am going to lurk a bit (as if that's possible for me  ;D )
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 20, 2008, 12:19 AM
Having been roused into this discussion in depth, I dug through some of the posts from the beginning (no not all, just a sampling) to get an idea of what has already been discussed.

I come across this gem from dalemidex that bears reposting:

I'll agree with Christie and tpe on that -- it does seem to bring out strong reactions.  I base that on various on-board and off-board conversations I've been part of where any notion of Ennis being gay -- or not gay -- has launched some sharp debate.

Why is this?

I do think some people just enjoy a raucous debate, and this is the perfect topic for BBM'ers.  Strong arguments can be made both ways, and it's a central point of the story.   So the ground is fertile.

A second reason is in the way one defines "gay".  To some people, when they speak of Ennis as "gay" they are speaking of Ennis' having a core desire of intimacy primarily directed toward  men.  Perhaps this was stunted greatly by internal homophobia, confusion and denial, but nevertheless they see it as there.  Hence Ennis is gay.  Others see the word "gay" as a more involved, complex tag that includes much more than that,  including a sense of identity, a particular sensibility, even a  way of life.  Hence Ennis was a million miles away from this definition of "gay".  This difference has been behind more than one "was Ennis gay?" debate.  And clearly if you think of "gay" as the second, it is probably frustrating to see so many people using "gay" to describe our boy.

Finally I do think there are deeper undercurrents that influence some people to one degree or another.  From some Ennis-is-gay people I've occasionally gotten the vibe that it is important to them for Ennis to be gay.  Having someone so conventionally masculine "on their team" is an attractive aspect to the story.  Making Ennis straight lessens the "gay" of this ground-breaking gay love story.  Kind of like finding out that the beloved Asian detective Charlie Chan wasn't even played by an Asian actor.  A possible, deeper subcontext could be that gay Ennis soothes self-doubts that gay men have about their own masculinity.

For those on the "Ennis is straight" side I've sometimes sensed strong notions that making Ennis gay cheapens the story.  That a straight Ennis is important to validate the incredible power of love overwhelming even innate sexual orientation. If Ennis and Jack are just a couple of gay guys, it's just another love story with obstacles.  I knew someone who even felt it cheapened the power love itself (as shown in the story)  if they were both gay.  (He did not imply or believe that gay love is less than straight love, but that Ennis being straight added a critical dimension to the story.)  A  deeper subcontext could be that straight Ennis appeals to the notion that the power of pure love can make a straight man fall in love with a gay man.

No, I'm not saying that these are the true motivations behind people on the two sides of the argument.  But as the issue has come up in debate over the past month, I do think some of the heat on this topic came from these competing ideas, each with its own attraction.

For the record, I do NOT believe Ennis is gay or straight.

I believe Ennis is a unique individual with a unique and troubled past who found love and completion in a gay man named Jack, who is also a unique individual with unique and troubled past.

It reminds me of the Star Trek The Next Generation episode, named appropriately enough, the Tin Man. About a trouble undisciplined supersensitive telepath from Betazoid, who found peace and companionship in a sentient spaceship that has traveled for millennium searching for a pilot, a telepathic pilot. The two completed each other.

Ennis and Jack were soul mates, not gay, not straight, just plain loving souls.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Jan 20, 2008, 03:27 PM
For the record, I do NOT believe Ennis is gay or straight.

I believe Ennis is a unique individual with a unique and troubled past who found love and completion in a gay man named Jack, who is also a unique individual with unique and troubled past.

Ennis and Jack were soul mates, not gay, not straight, just plain loving souls.


Andrew (:)  (:)  (:)  (:)  (:)

BTW Dalemidex post was amazing and so right!!!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jan 20, 2008, 07:01 PM
I've read all these wonderful post, but I still wonder about Ennis's sexuality,all that is written makes sense, but still I can't help but feel with Ennis and slow realization of his love for Jack, how he eliminates the women in his life, the one's that want him, and try to break through that hard interior which only Jack seems to. 

Ennis had no intimate connection to Alma, and Cassie seem unable to temper his thoughts or need for Jack. 

It also seems to me, and this just my opinion is that we almost make Ennis some supernatural sexless being, figure of myths and not the fragile human being he was, caught between his needs and his fears. 

Ennis was indeed a unique human being who found himself through another unique human being, they were gay, and in love.  Why is this so hard to even comprehend that their love, is a love story, in itself, and like with many of great love stories, a sense of joy and tragedy.

This just a thought of mine, and sorry if I upset anyone.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Jan 21, 2008, 03:59 AM
This just a thought of mine, and sorry if I upset anyone.
I am sure you won't upset anyone, we are all here putting our thoughts forward to a question that  doesn't have any right or wrong answer but it is making a great discussion.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jan 21, 2008, 05:55 AM
I am sure you won't upset anyone, we are all here putting our thoughts forward to a question that  doesn't have any right or wrong answer but it is making a great discussion.

Thanks Asali,

It does make for a heck of a discussion.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Jan 21, 2008, 10:57 AM
I believe Ennis is a unique individual with a unique and troubled past who found love and completion in a gay man named Jack, who is also a unique individual with unique and troubled past.

Ennis and Jack were soul mates, not gay, not straight, just plain loving souls.
I think almost everything has been said about this question;so I,who hasn´t been very active these last days for technical problems-with my computer,not with me... ;D -am afraid I'm not going to add anything important to it.I've always thought,however,that we need words to define things,persons,animals...but,what about personal and private feelings?Until what point can we use some simple words to define it?.I don't like to put human beings into stanch departments with a label above that separates us according to our tendencies or way of living. That goes beyond semantical reasons,far beyond.-I don't know if I'm explaining well;not even I know  if I'm explaining... ~) -.
In this case,somebody said that Ennis was "Jacksexual" and I´d add that he was "Jackemotional","Jacksentimental","Jackgloballyattachedto"...For him,Jack was all he needed,this right person who appears in the right moment,in the right place and when one needs someone right in this way.I've seen-and I'm speaking for own experience-how it could be the case that someone who always has been straight,or he/she has behaved as this,finds a same-sex person who can fill all his/her expectancies in all senses and often only social pressures can avoid them to "arrive" somewhere.So simple...
For this I've marked these phrases by Lance,that seem very suitable to me,as ever.And I'd add again that the best Ennis definition would be that he was an homophobic man in love with another man.So simple also,but so complicated at the same time.Hence their tragedy.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tenn_man on Jan 21, 2008, 11:19 AM
I have not posted much, but did give my two cents worth on this subject some time back.  After having read the recent posts, and especially including the "boxers" post, all I can say is whew!  I never really gave it the thought that it deserves.  I had wanted both men to be "gay" just to break the stereotype that is shown in the media and that is one reason that the movie resonated so much with me. I really believe now, after more thought, that it really does not matter.  I think Jack was indeed more at peace with the issue in his mind than was Ennis. I have known a few men that never even knew they were "gay" until later in life, so I guess there are many colors in the spectrum of sexuality.  For me, the important thing was the love they had.  I think the impact of BBM was so great for me because of both the emotional AND sexual love that these two shared. It would not have meant much to have one without the other.  Too bad it could not have been like the reunion kiss, always!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 21, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Keeping an open mind on any discussion can sometimes bring a false compromise, or the gift of new information and a fuller understanding.
I am glad to say I experienced the latter, just recently, after watching Asali's new video-"I Surrender", which you can find by going to silver
wolves thread, pg. 898, mid-way down, and clicking it on.
   She's put together the loving scenes, and put them to music, and it's beautiful.  She had no agenda, but it is difficult to see this video and
not say---hang it up, folks, this was a gay love affair, one for the ages.  Forget about "was Ennis gay?".  The video is the answer.
   Am not switching sides. And am not going for a phony compromise.  For me, there is a football field full of information sustaining my original
sense that Ennis was straight and that his human needs trumped his sexual orientation, leading to a same-gender love, because Jack was the
only one who could break through to his heart.
  So that leaves me where?  Not either-or, but both versions.  I can now see this movie and the story as supporting both, independently, and that
is a greater wealth than I had before.
  I see not conflicting versions, but a dual offering from those creative minds involved.  The theme of love, human love, smashing through every
barrier, including sexual orientation (meaning, yes, I can still see Ennis as straight, and falling off a cliff). And an entirely different rendering,
of two gay men finding themselves, amidst a hostile world.
  This is not a compromise. I really believe, now, the two versions are distinct and contradict each other (and so this thread and discussion),
but further, show a duality to the movie, meaning---BOTH versions ARE there, in full force.  That's not waffling, nor compromising---it is for
me an expansion of the film.  Am not saying there are 2 films, or 2 takes on the film.  Am saying there was a genius there in giving both,
independently, within the same careful crafting and integration of the story.
  After seeing Asali's video, then, I see both takes , not as personal interpretations, take your choice, but as an expansion of the gift from BBM.
BOTH versions are there, not subjectively, for individual interpretation.  BOTH are really there.  Doubling the majesty of this film.
  It's long over-due to picket the Academy and get them to accept-they made a huge mistake at the Oscars.  They need to undo that mistake
by going back and giving new awards in the general area of---oops, did we screw that one up, or what?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Jan 21, 2008, 11:43 AM
   It's always awkward, posting, when others are doing the same and that red warning light comes on, and you don't know what to do.
MPJ, your post was so sensible, fair, and humane---and works for me.  Tenn-man, I hope my own post helps you keep your original take on
the movie, with full confidence.  You also kept an open mind, but what you saw was valid, and there is no need to lose any of the joy or comfort
you found.  Please post more often--you're a nice guy.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jan 21, 2008, 01:12 PM
I don't mean this comment to be off=topic, but, as far as the Oscars go, I no longer care.  No one who votes on the Oscars takes the time to watch and analyze any film as we have done here on this forum.  In fact, many people who vote actually do NOT watch the films in contention.  This became clear to me when I saw two women "stars" who are on the Oscar voters' list say, on LIVE TC, that they had NOT watched Brokeback Mountain before voting.  They HAD watched Crash because it is so star-studded ( with their friends!) and voted for Crash.  Now, is that intelligent voting?  I don't think so.  So, let the Oscars go.  They have lost any reason to revere them with this type of voter insousiance.
        Great posts above, Tony, Tenn, and Manhattan and MPJ!!!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Jan 21, 2008, 04:01 PM
I don't mean this comment to be off=topic, but, as far as the Oscars go, I no longer care.  No one who votes on the Oscars takes the time to watch and analyze any film as we have done here on this forum.  In fact, many people who vote actually do NOT watch the films in contention.  This became clear to me when I saw two women "stars" who are on the Oscar voters' list say, on LIVE TC, that they had NOT watched Brokeback Mountain before voting.  They HAD watched Crash because it is so star-studded ( with their friends!) and voted for Crash.  Now, is that intelligent voting?  I don't think so.  So, let the Oscars go.  They have lost any reason to revere them with this type of voter insousiance.
        Great posts above, Tony, Tenn, and Manhattan and MPJ!!!

Oh my..... ^*)  ^*)  ^*)  ^*)  *o) Just a question, weren't they ashamed of say in public that they did that? I can not believe it....
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Jan 21, 2008, 04:01 PM
   Keeping an open mind on any discussion can sometimes bring a false compromise, or the gift of new information and a fuller understanding.
I am glad to say I experienced the latter, just recently, after watching Asali's new video-"I Surrender", which you can find by going to silver
wolves thread, pg. 898, mid-way down, and clicking it on.
   She's put together the loving scenes, and put them to music, and it's beautiful.  She had no agenda, but it is difficult to see this video and
not say---hang it up, folks, this was a gay love affair, one for the ages.  Forget about "was Ennis gay?".  The video is the answer.
  
Thankyou Tony, I don't know about the video being an answer but I find it much easier to express my thoughts through fanvids than to find the words that I am trying to say, the link for the one you mentioned "I Surrender" http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=tu6xTwaUTS0
If you click were it says more from Asali you will find others and most focus on ennis as I feel I connect in many ways with him but looking at them again today a couple of them really seem to sum up my thoughts on this topic, in particular 'Love Doesn't Ask Why' and 'Now and Forever'

I believe Ennis is a unique individual with a unique and troubled past who found love and completion in a gay man named Jack, who is also a unique individual with unique and troubled past.

Ennis and Jack were soul mates, not gay, not straight, just plain loving souls.
I think this is a wonderful way of  summing the answer up and I believe this.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 21, 2008, 09:47 PM
I have not posted much, but did give my two cents worth on this subject some time back.  After having read the recent posts, and especially including the "boxers" post, all I can say is whew!  I never really gave it the thought that it deserves.  I had wanted both men to be "gay" just to break the stereotype that is shown in the media and that is one reason that the movie resonated so much with me. I really believe now, after more thought, that it really does not matter.  I think Jack was indeed more at peace with the issue in his mind than was Ennis. I have known a few men that never even knew they were "gay" until later in life, so I guess there are many colors in the spectrum of sexuality.  For me, the important thing was the love they had.  I think the impact of BBM was so great for me because of both the emotional AND sexual love that these two shared. It would not have meant much to have one without the other.  Too bad it could not have been like the reunion kiss, always!

Hi, tenn_man, I am so glad you wrote what I bolded and colored red above. I was in fact thinking of the same thing only this morning, waiting for an opportunity to post it. Thank you for the reminder.

To me, it is possible to have love without sex, as seen by so many people who share their lives, yet without sharing a bed. From comrades in arms, to spinster sisters, and best buddies.  It is also possible to have sex without love. Examples of this is easy to find. Neither is satisfactory in terms of the sublime transcendent romantic love that we all wish, because only when love is ignited by passion, and passion is sustained by love, that heaven on earth is made into paradise, that two souls can experience the ecstasy of merging into one, sharing ... everything. Ennis and Jack had this. It is what makes Ennis gay. It is what made the movie appealing. But the statement that Ennis is gay, is still not 100% accurate. That is what I was trying to say. And as usual, Tony comes through for me by proposing what is truly the correct viewpoint, that it is not a matter of "either-or" but a matter of both. Ennis is both straight and gay. Just as light can behave both as particles and waves, so Ennis can behave both as straight and gay, depending on the circumstance. It is also what Annie Proulx was saying when she says that these are two confused young men going up the mountain, who found love in each other when they left.

[...]
  So that leaves me where?  Not either-or, but both versions.  I can now see this movie and the story as supporting both, independently, and that is a greater wealth than I had before.
  I see not conflicting versions, but a dual offering from those creative minds involved.  The theme of love, human love, smashing through every barrier, including sexual orientation (meaning, yes, I can still see Ennis as straight, and falling off a cliff). And an entirely different rendering, of two gay men finding themselves, amidst a hostile world.
  This is not a compromise. I really believe, now, the two versions are distinct and contradict each other (and so this thread and discussion), but further, show a duality to the movie, meaning---BOTH versions ARE there, in full force.  That's not waffling, nor compromising---it is for me an expansion of the film.  Am not saying there are 2 films, or 2 takes on the film.  Am saying there was a genius there in giving both, independently, within the same careful crafting and integration of the story.
[...]


I think almost everything has been said about this question;so I,who has been very active these last days for technical problems-with my computer,not with me... ;D -am afraid I'm not going to add anything important to it.I've always thought,however,that we need words to define things,persons,animals...but,what about personal and private feelings?Until what point can we use some simple words to define it?.I don't like to put human beings into stanch departments with a label above that separates us according to our tendencies or way of living. That goes beyond semantical reasons,far beyond.-I don't know if I'm explaining well;not even I know  if I'm explaining... ~) -.
In this case,somebody said that Ennis was "Jacksexual" and I´d add that he was "Jackemotional","Jacksentimental","Jackgloballyattachedto"...For him,Jack was all he needed,this right person who appears in the right moment,in the right place and when one needs someone right in this way.I've seen-and I'm speaking for own experience-how it could be the case that someone who always has been straight,or he/she has behaved as this,finds a same-sex person who can fill all his/her expectancies in all senses and often only social pressures can avoid them to "arrive" somewhere.So simple...
For this I've marked these phrases by Lance,that seem very suitable to me,as ever.And I'd add again that the best Ennis definition would be that he was an homophobic man in love with another man.So simple also,but so complicated at the same time.Hence their tragedy.


You make perfect sense, myprivatejack, and you contribute a great deal. When I read what you wrote, I've bolded and colored red above, it rang true to me and I agree that it is precisely the cause of the tragedy. Ennis was fighting against his own nature as well as social customs. He tried to be straight, but wanted to be gay, with Jack. "There's no reins on this one."

And I echo what manhattangirl said, that if my passion for Ennis inadvertently offended anyone, I sincerely apologize.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 21, 2008, 10:40 PM
I've read all these wonderful post, but I still wonder about Ennis's sexuality,all that is written makes sense, but still I can't help but feel with Ennis and slow realization of his love for Jack, how he eliminates the women in his life, the one's that want him, and try to break through that hard interior which only Jack seems to. 

Ennis had no intimate connection to Alma, and Cassie seem unable to temper his thoughts or need for Jack. 

It also seems to me, and this just my opinion is that we almost make Ennis some supernatural sexless being, figure of myths and not the fragile human being he was, caught between his needs and his fears. 

Ennis was indeed a unique human being who found himself through another unique human being, they were gay, and in love.  Why is this so hard to even comprehend that their love, is a love story, in itself, and like with many of great love stories, a sense of joy and tragedy.

This just a thought of mine, and sorry if I upset anyone.

Hi, manhattangirl, I don't think you upset anyone, and least of all me. I don't think Ennis is some supernatural sexless being. I know that there has been talk of the difference in libido between Ennis and Jack. I can only go by what is written in the short story and shown in the movie. I am hesitant to speculate what is in Ennis' mind, before or after he met Jack.

In the short story, Ennis stated clearly that he "wrung it out a hundred times thinking about" Jack. In the movie, Ennis initiated horseplay with Jack on the mountain, and certainly shown his joy and love in the reunion. There is no doubt in Jack's mind that Ennis loves him, only not expressed in the way that Jack wanted, by living together. If they were living together, I have no doubt that sex would be frequent and brilliant, as said in the short story.

Ennis is not sexless, and I will borrow the phrase from myprivtejack, but Jacksexual. He is obsessed with Jack because Jack is his first and only love.  Alma and Cassie did not stand a chance trying to win his heart because he already gave his heart to Jack.

I think we will never know whether they would still fall in love if Ennis first married Alma and then met Jack. We will never know if Ennis and Jack met under different circumstances, for example working in a ranch, if they'd still fall in love. Perhaps Ennis' homophobia would prevent that in any circumstance except Brokeback Mountain. The fact, or the story, that it happened, indicates that their destiny was meant to be, and there is little point discussing what could've what should've, when what is, is so clear.

And a little off topic here, it does not take a supernatural being to be sexless and alone. Priests and many people old and young, have been doing it for ages. It is only in recent times, with media obsession of sex that we ourselves become obsessed with the idea that sex is essential, and indeed, becoming addicted to sex in all forms.

Ennis found release in his dreams, in his "wringing it out". We are talking of a man who is happy with beans, with "wanting nothing", and "stand it" when it can't be fixed. Jack may have need to find someone without Ennis, but Ennis was perfectly content, though brooding his missing Jack, when Cassie invited herself into his life. He was happy to have her companionship, but it was not the same as having Jack.

Just my two pennies worth.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jan 21, 2008, 11:07 PM
Oh, I think your opinion is worth a whole lot more than two cents, lance.  You hit the nail on the head with this post.  Good thinking, for sure!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: welshwitch on Jan 22, 2008, 01:54 AM
I suppose I think we don't know what Ennis is because Ennis himself doesn't know,or doesn't want to because he's afraid to. He acknowledges what Jack is to him only after Jack's dead, so that there can be no pressure on him to act on it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Jan 22, 2008, 04:42 AM
I suppose I think we don't know what Ennis is because Ennis himself doesn't know,or doesn't want to because he's afraid to. He acknowledges what Jack is to him only after Jack's dead, so that there can be no pressure on him to act on it.

I agree with you;Ennis was mainly a complicated being,divided between the "would like" and the "must" during all his life.You're right,he didn't know himself,surely more for fear against he could find than for ignorance.As I said in my former post,he found the person who gave him affection,trust,who cared for him,who loved him as he was,or maybe in spite of being so...And he found this person in the right place and moment when he could go deeper into his heart,and he did.It happened to be another man,a shock for someone who had been taught in the idea that same sex love was a sin that deserved dead (and,maybe, that also sex was something bad outside marriage).But his need for love and affection-and for a very contaminated sex for what he had learned,both with women or men-was real and present,and he put a face,a body and a name to this need,and to the satisfaction of this need.That's all.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 22, 2008, 08:13 AM
I agree with you there, tpe. Being straight is overrated, anyhow. :)

By the way, since we are getting into definitions, how would you define orientation? Do you mean sexual arousal or do you mean romantic attraction? I understand we are stepping into fuzzy areas where definitive sharp boundaries are impossible, but I just want to make a distinction between Ennis' attraction to Jack, which is one-of, and Jack's attraction to men, which is generic. Jack also loved Ennis, and Ennis only, but he was also attracted to other men. This was NOT the case with Ennis, at least in the short story, and certainly by all appearances in the movie also.

So, Ennis is certainly not straight (as in 100% straight), but you can hardly claim that he is 100% gay like Jack.




Hello lance.  :)

I have so much to catch up on this thread.  But I would like to thank all of you who contribute a lot of insights to the discussion.

Orientation is much more than sexual arousal or romantic attraction, I guess.   We should note that orientation connotes or takes into consideration some grayness.  It includes but is not limited to identity.

I quote the following definitions of orientation.  I boldface those that are of particular relevance to our discussion:

1. the act of orienting
2. an integrated set of attitudes and beliefs
3. position or alignment relative to points of the compass or other specific directions
4. a predisposition in favor of something
5. a person's awareness of self with regard to position and time and place and personal relationships

6. a course introducing a new situation or environment

The words "alignment" and "predisposition" are particularly noted.   Alignment does not mean that one points dead-on at a particular direction all the time.  Predisposition implies something innate.

Again, we are never sure whether Ennis wasn't attracted to other men.  He just didn't act on them.  Not acting on it does not mean that you are any less "gay" than someone who does (as in the case of Jack).  For most of the last 2000 years, gays hid their desires and feelings as best they could.  It does not mean that they were any less gay than those who openly live the gay lifestyle in the latter part of the 20th century.

I think there is room to argue whether Ennis was "gay" or "bisexual".  But I should note that one can also argue this in the case of Jack.  It is not really his relationships with other men that preclude that discussion.  As I had noted earlier, the fact that both had sexual relations with both men and women is not the defining factor here.




Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 22, 2008, 08:28 AM
Once again, Tony, you have made your point very well.  IF we need to categorize people's sexuality, and IF we have to use labels, yours certainly make sense and Ennis certainly fits the Boxer's description.  I'm sure you find it hard to share some of the more personal parts of your own history, but they do help clarify your thoughts, and thus, help others to understand your very astute deductions.
      I do not intend to change the topic, but I just have to say ONE thing about labels -- something I have avoided commenting upon, but just can't keep my mouth shut any longer.  You touched upon this when you discussed the future which will further and further delineate everyone by narrowing all the definitions.  Historically, it is labels that have ruled the day: one drop of Jewish blood got you the concentration camp and death; one drop of Negroid blood got you enslaved; one drop of holy water saved your soul while everyone went to hell, etc.  As horrific as these things were, they were real and those who subscribed to them were the real monsters on this earth.  Can a label ever be a good thing?  Perhaps when stratefying species or classifying blood types, etc.  But labels that serve to box in certain individuals remain as deadly today as they ever were, and they frighten me in a way nothing else can.  I know some people feel the need to, in their own mind, at least, pinpoint Ennis's sexuality for once and for all, but I wonder why there is that need? What makes human beings think they need to know everything and have the right to injure others in their search?  Oh, well, just another rant!

Of course it can. :) For the millions who died in the concentration camps, many would never have considered disowning that they were Jews.  The Jews have defined themselves as a people set apart time out of mind.  The word "Jew" was not something they shunned; they celebrated it.

As Barak Obama has said in one of the more recent debates, one cannot underestimate the power of the word.

The early Christians gladly went to their deaths rather than repudiate the label of "Christian".  There are so many instances in history where we see whole nations and peoples willing to die for a label.  They rightfully considered it worth dying for.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 22, 2008, 08:48 AM
I have not posted much, but did give my two cents worth on this subject some time back.  After having read the recent posts, and especially including the "boxers" post, all I can say is whew!  I never really gave it the thought that it deserves.  I had wanted both men to be "gay" just to break the stereotype that is shown in the media and that is one reason that the movie resonated so much with me. I really believe now, after more thought, that it really does not matter.  I think Jack was indeed more at peace with the issue in his mind than was Ennis. I have known a few men that never even knew they were "gay" until later in life, so I guess there are many colors in the spectrum of sexuality.  For me, the important thing was the love they had.  I think the impact of BBM was so great for me because of both the emotional AND sexual love that these two shared. It would not have meant much to have one without the other.  Too bad it could not have been like the reunion kiss, always!

Welcome, tenn_man.  :)

I also have known a few people who accepted their gayness only much later in life. 

If we stop to think about why they needed to do that -- after a lifetime of silence -- I think most of them would have used that other most misunderstood and controversial of labels: for the sake of "truth".

What is "truth", asked Pilate.  Jesus was silent.  The reason was not that it could NOT be defined.  It was Jesus's way of saying that he himself was ther embodiment of truth.

So it is with us who argue about Ennis's and Jack's sexuality, and the use or disuse of labels. 

For many of those people who accepted who they were only late in life, there was no fundamental shift in their true nature -- even though they had remained silent about it for the majority of their lifetimes.





 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Jan 22, 2008, 09:04 AM
I suppose I think we don't know what Ennis is because Ennis himself doesn't know,or doesn't want to because he's afraid to. He acknowledges what Jack is to him only after Jack's dead, so that there can be no pressure on him to act on it.

 If Ennis acknowledged that he and Jack are the same, he knows that something will be expected of him. To take action in some way.  Give more  of himself and demand less control over the relationship.   It would be be one less excuse  he'd have to keep the status quo and doing the hard part.  I totally agree with you WW.  I started a thread a while back, "How did Jack and Ennis  Really see each Other? In this I questioned how Ennis saw Jack really. Did he feel Jack was "queer"?  It was following  an act of homosexual sex that Ennis felt the need to inform Jack that "I aint queer" .and what did he mean "boys like you"? If he thinks Jack "queer" , prefers  sex with men, and he's not,  and does'nt , what the hell is he dong with Jack then? And what does that make him? How can he reconcile the two positions in his mind? Something's gotta give right?  Is'nt Ennis just lying to himself? Just sayin/askin.

 Tpe ,please apply your bolded entries to the argument above. I'm confused. At what point did Ennis cross over from not being open to this , to being open to it? and what does that really say about Ennis being predisposed to his experience with Jack. I'm leaning predisposed now. So complex this Ennis.... :s) Does this make sense?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 22, 2008, 09:12 AM
If Ennis acknowledged that he and Jack are the same, he knows that something will be expected of him. To take action in some way.  Give more  of himself and demand less control over the relationship.   It would be be one less excuse  he'd have to keep the status quo and doing the hard part.  I totally agree with you WW.  I started a thread a while back, "How did Jack and Ennis  Really see each Other? In this I questioned how Ennis saw Jack really. Did he feel Jack was "queer"?  It was following  an act of homosexual sex that Ennis felt the need to inform Jack that "I aint queer" .and what did he mean "boys like you"? If he thinks Jack "queer" , prefers  sex with men, and he's not,  and does'nt , what the hell is he dong with Jack then? And what does that make him? How can he reconcile the two positions in his mind? Something's gotta give right?  Is'nt Ennis just lying to himself? Just sayin/askin.

 Tpe ,please apply your bolded entries to the argument above. I'm confused. At what point did Ennis cross over from not being open to this , to being open to it? and what does that really say about Ennis being predisposed to his experience with Jack. I'm leaning predisposed now. So complex this Ennis.... :s) Does this make sense?

Hello aintfoolin.  There are three definitions I boldfaced.  Each one is slightly nuanced and subtly different from the other.

What confuses you is the 5th definition.  I should note that awareness does not mean openness.  One can very much be aware and yet remain in deep denial.  In fact, denial would most likely be the reaction -- a protective mechanism -- to such an unwanted awareness.

Likewise, I do feel an inherent predisposition on Ennis's part, even though this is also open to discussion.  It is this predisposition that makes awareness possible.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Jan 22, 2008, 03:13 PM

What confuses you is the 5th definition.  I should note that awareness does not mean openness.  One can very much be aware and yet remain in deep denial.  In fact, denial would most likely be the reaction -- a protective mechanism -- to such an unwanted awareness.

Absolutely. It can begin with denial but then even when you admit and accept this awareness to yourself you may still not ever want the world to know and the fight continues within yourself.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jan 22, 2008, 06:29 PM
Of course it can. :) For the millions who died in the concentration camps, many would never have considered disowning that they were Jews.  The Jews have defined themselves as a people set apart time out of mind.  The word "Jew" was not something they shunned; they celebrated it.

As Barak Obama has said in one of the more recent debates, one cannot underestimate the power of the word.

The early Christians gladly went to their deaths rather than repudiate the label of "Christian".  There are so many instances in history where we see whole nations and peoples willing to die for a label.  They rightfully considered it worth dying for.



I don't think anyone ever died for a label, but for what it stood for.  It is the labeling that is the dangerous thing -- not the premise shared by a group of people who wish to proclaim their similarity to the world.  The Jews died for their belief and culture -- not for the title of Jew; the early Christians died for their belief in Christ -- not for the title, or label, of Christian.  Barack Obama is correct -- NEVER underestimate the power of a word.  And that is why I maintain the WORD, the LABLE ,is a very dangerous thing. MHO
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 22, 2008, 11:39 PM
I suppose I think we don't know what Ennis is because Ennis himself doesn't know,or doesn't want to because he's afraid to. He acknowledges what Jack is to him only after Jack's dead, so that there can be no pressure on him to act on it.

I am sorry that I have to disagree, welshwitch. In the short story, Ennis told Jack in the motel room in the reunion that he thought about Jack often, wringing it out hundreds of time. The reunion kiss itself was proof enough that Ennis understood this thing with no reins was more than just fun and games. He just didn't know this was love, until Cassie told him love is more than just having fun, with tears coming down her face. He ACTED on this, immediately after that scene, we saw the postcard he sent to Jack, to confirm the November date. The tragedy of the movie is that when Ennis was finally ready to Jack halfway, Jack was dead.

It is a little surreal for me at the moment, considering the news. I am just carrying on as usual, not wanting to deal the sadness and pain. It's just too unreal.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 24, 2008, 11:30 AM
I don't think anyone ever died for a label, but for what it stood for.  It is the labeling that is the dangerous thing -- not the premise shared by a group of people who wish to proclaim their similarity to the world.  The Jews died for their belief and culture -- not for the title of Jew; the early Christians died for their belief in Christ -- not for the title, or label, of Christian.  Barack Obama is correct -- NEVER underestimate the power of a word.  And that is why I maintain the WORD, the LABLE ,is a very dangerous thing. MHO

For many, the label stands for what they stood for.  Every word in every language is a label, if you want to think about it in terms of Platonic concepts.

Take for example the Christain martyrs of Japan.  It was enough for them to go free if they did 2 things: (1) explicitly declare that they were not Christian, and (2) step on a crucifix.

Now, one can argue with them that, sure, they can declare themselves NOT Christian and step on the crucifix, even though deep inside, they remained true to what they stood for.  After all, "Christain" was just a label, and a crucifix was just a symbol.

But none of them did that.    Because to them, the label/symbol and the reality was one and the same.  The label/symbol was synonymous with what they stood for.  And thousands went to their deaths for their obstinacy.

Again, take the Christians under the Roman Imperial persecutions.  They were considered unreasonable by the Hellenes because they were simply required at various times to burn incense before the Imperial effigy, and they refused.  Also, if we are to believe the accounts of Pliny the Younger and the Church Fathers, a simple repudiation of the title "Christian" also sufficed in some instances to save these people, but they didn't.  For them, the act of burning incense before an effigy and/or repudiating a label was tantamount to apostasy:

Cognitionibus de Christianis interfui numquam: ideo nescio quid et quatenus aut puniri soleat aut quaeri. Nec mediocriter haesitavi, sitne aliquod discrimen aetatum, an quamlibet teneri nihil a robustioribus differant; detur paenitentiae venia, an ei, qui omnino Christianus fuit, desisse non prosit; nomen ipsum, si flagitiis careat, an flagitia cohaerentia nomini puniantur. Interim, iis qui ad me tamquam Christiani deferebantur, hunc sum secutus modum. Interrogavi ipsos an essent Christiani. Confitentes iterum ac tertio interrogavi supplicium minatus; perseverantes duci iussi. Neque enim dubitabam, qualecumque esset quod faterentur, pertinaciam certe et inflexibilem obstinationem debere puniri..

Fuerunt alii similis amentiae, quos, quia cives Romani erant, adnotavi in urbem remittendos. Mox ipso tractatu, ut fieri solet, diffundente se crimine plures species inciderunt. Propositus est libellus sine auctore multorum nomina continens. Qui negabant esse se Christianos aut fuisse, cum praeeunte me deos appellarent et imagini tuae, quam propter hoc iusseram cum simulacris numinum afferri, ture ac vino supplicarent, praeterea male dicerent Christo, quorum nihil cogi posse dicuntur qui sunt re vera Christiani, dimittendos putavi. Alii ab indice nominati esse se Christianos dixerunt et mox negaverunt; fuisse quidem sed desisse, quidam ante triennium, quidam ante plures annos, non nemo etiam ante viginti. Hi quoque omnes et imaginem tuam deorumque simulacra venerati sunt et Christo male dixerunt.

Plinius, X 96
 

Actually I have never been present at a Examination (cognitio) of Christians, so I do not know what punishment is required or how far it is to be carried out. Nor do I understand the legal grounds for a prosecution, or how stringently it is to be prosecuted. I am not clear about prosecutions in respect to the age of the persons, whether no distinction should be made between the young and the old, and furthermore whether a pardon should be granted in cases of recanting, or if there is no advantage for a person completely ceasing to be a Christian. Or is it the name "Christian" which is prosecutable, even if not involved in criminal actions, or is that "criminality" is automatically attached to the name?

In the meantime, I now handle it this way with those who are turned over to me as Christians. I ask them directly, in person, if they are Christian, I ask a second and third time to be sure, and indicate to them the danger of their situation. If they persist, I order them executed. I have had no trouble with this, since whatever it was they admitted or professed, I decided that their obstinacy and unyielding inflexibility should be sufficient reason for punishment. Some others who were virtually insane with this cult, but Roman citizens, I sent back to Rome for trial.




Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jan 25, 2008, 02:22 AM
Thomas, I refute nothing you have written.  However, I still maintain the label can, and often is and has been, and, unfortunately will continue to be, a cause of cruelty, false judgement,  punishment, death,etc.  Your examples above give proof to this.  True, every noun is a label, but some labels carry no connotations that allow prejudices to contaminate the labels.  For example, a pencil is a pencil.  A pencil engenders no emotional response for most people.  People will not argue over what a pencil is, or the value of a pencil in the world.  I doubt if anyone will endeavor to destroy all the pencils in the world because they sometimes write inappropriate words.  But labels that people CAN interpret as limiting others can, and often do, cause judgements, prejudices, etc.
When the Christians refused to refute the title of Christian to save themselves, they were refusing to refute their beliefs, not the title.  The label was only the umbrella under which all their beliefs were sheltered.
       Also, I think we have to take into consideration who is doing the labeling.  I may proudly proclaim myself to be  Christian, but, if you hate Christians, and YOU proclaim me to be  a Christian, you are limiting me, thus denigrating me  -- setting me up to be hated.
       I realize this topic may be a bit OT, but it is labels that we are trying to put on Ennis that prompted the discussion.  So, if this discussion is not appropriate in this thread, we should find a new place for it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Jan 25, 2008, 04:10 AM


....It is a little surreal for me at the moment, considering the news. I am just carrying on as usual, not wanting to deal the sadness and pain. It's just too unreal.

I'm with you there. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 25, 2008, 09:20 AM
Thomas, I refute nothing you have written.  However, I still maintain the label can, and often is and has been, and, unfortunately will continue to be, a cause of cruelty, false judgement,  punishment, death,etc.  Your examples above give proof to this.  True, every noun is a label, but some labels carry no connotations that allow prejudices to contaminate the labels.  For example, a pencil is a pencil.  A pencil engenders no emotional response for most people.  People will not argue over what a pencil is, or the value of a pencil in the world.  I doubt if anyone will endeavor to destroy all the pencils in the world because they sometimes write inappropriate words.  But labels that people CAN interpret as limiting others can, and often do, cause judgements, prejudices, etc.
When the Christians refused to refute the title of Christian to save themselves, they were refusing to refute their beliefs, not the title.  The label was only the umbrella under which all their beliefs were sheltered.
       Also, I think we have to take into consideration who is doing the labeling.  I may proudly proclaim myself to be  Christian, but, if you hate Christians, and YOU proclaim me to be  a Christian, you are limiting me, thus denigrating me  -- setting me up to be hated.
       I realize this topic may be a bit OT, but it is labels that we are trying to put on Ennis that prompted the discussion.  So, if this discussion is not appropriate in this thread, we should find a new place for it.

I understand what you mean, and it is relevant to the topic at hand, IMO.  But we can certainly let the matter rest, as I do see your point, and it is indeed valid.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jan 26, 2008, 05:50 AM
Thomas, lamusica,

What you're discussing is fascinating.  My take is Ennis was "Passing" for straight in order to live in a world that he knew he would be killed if they ever found he was "queer". 

He never refuted who he was, not with Jack anyway.  But in order to live and function in his world, he had to be something he wasn't.   This was preservation mode.  Solely done so he can work, live, and not be found strung up in an irrigation ditch. 

Right or wrong labels run through this story, "queer", "Jack Nasty", "boys like you", there was no getting around it, or getting away from it.  Labels were like tire irons, and it beat both of them down.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lamusica on Jan 26, 2008, 06:33 PM
Manhattan, your post reminds me of something that has always resonated with me.  When Ennis is drying dishes and Alma tells him about the untouched fishing gear, she calls Jack "Jack Nasty"; however, she doesn't refer to "Ennis nasty"  She doesn't accuse Ennis of nastiness, although she saw him kissing Jack just as ardently as Jack was kissing Ennis.  What does this signify, I wonder.  In her mind, was Ennis less responsible for his actions, was he less gay?  She now knew why he preferred sex in a position she hated.  She knew why he took off from time to time to meet Jack.  But, STILL, she, in some way, exhonorates him, or at least gives him the opportunity to explain himself.  Of course, he just responds with anger and leaves.  What was Alma's take on Ennis's sexuality at this point?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Jan 26, 2008, 09:28 PM
Fascinating, lamusica.  Alma blamed Jack.  Well, she blamed Ennis, too, but like it was Jack's fault he was doing what he was doing.  Maybe in just that one meeting with him and seeing him the next morning, she formed some opinion of what men like that are -- he was too pretty, too well dressed, etc.  She knew Ennis, but didn't know Jack, so she based her views of gay men (as we say now, though she didn't) on Jack.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jan 27, 2008, 07:08 AM
Manhattan, your post reminds me of something that has always resonated with me.  When Ennis is drying dishes and Alma tells him about the untouched fishing gear, she calls Jack "Jack Nasty"; however, she doesn't refer to "Ennis nasty"  She doesn't accuse Ennis of nastiness, although she saw him kissing Jack just as ardently as Jack was kissing Ennis.  What does this signify, I wonder.  In her mind, was Ennis less responsible for his actions, was he less gay?  She now knew why he preferred sex in a position she hated.  She knew why he took off from time to time to meet Jack.  But, STILL, she, in some way, exhonorates him, or at least gives him the opportunity to explain himself.  Of course, he just responds with anger and leaves.  What was Alma's take on Ennis's sexuality at this point?

For me:

She was in with love him.  Jack was her rival.  She saw what she saw, not that Ennis had Jack pinned against that wall , but Jack had Ennis pinned.   Perception is everything, Ennis was lure away from her, by this man, making Ennis have these "unnatural" feelings. I think she stayed because she wanted to win him back, not because she had not place to go, or no one to turn to, she knew the grocer was in the wings, and he was sweet on her.  It was things like the church social, the better job he refused to look for, was saying she just didn't matter to him.  After a time this could wears you down,  wears you out.   How can you fight the light in your husband's eyes for another man, and see no light, nothing at all when he looks at you.  This was "Jack Nasty" fault, not Ennis, If she blamed Ennis,  the irrigation ditch would have been a reality, with a whispered word, she could have destroyed him, but she didn't. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 27, 2008, 08:43 PM
Thomas, lamusica,

What you're discussing is fascinating.  My take is Ennis was "Passing" for straight in order to live in a world that he knew he would be killed if they ever found he was "queer". 

He never refuted who he was, not with Jack anyway.  But in order to live and function in his world, he had to be something he wasn't.   This was preservation mode.  Solely done so he can work, live, and not be found strung up in an irrigation ditch. 

Right or wrong labels run through this story, "queer", "Jack Nasty", "boys like you", there was no getting around it, or getting away from it.  Labels were like tire irons, and it beat both of them down.

Hi, manhattangirl, I don't disagree with you often, but when I do, I usually find myself corrected by your explanation. This time, I am not sure.

I don't think of Ennis as "passing" for straight. I think Ennis, in his own perception of himself, IS straight in every respect, EXCEPT his love for Jack. And in a way, he is right. If the two were to get married and run a cow and calf operation, there'd be no difference between Ennis and Jack, or Ennis and Jill. They'd be essentially any other straight couple except for their gender. Their sex would be private in any case, unless the neighbours are peeking through the windows, what's the difference?

Religious objections aside, for humanitarian and social justice, a label to segregate straight and gay couples is simply wrong. They are loving couples.

Having said that, I applaud the work of the early gay activists who struggled to fight for gay rights, and new laws. It is one thing to consider the practical mundane life of an individual living his or her own perception of the world he must survive in, and it is quite another to consider the legal and higher plane of social justice, or social history of hatred and bigotry. The two sides of the argument are equally valid within their own spheres, but when forced on to the other side, the argument is only that, argued, but not convincing.

Whatever Ennis' view of himself is the result of a long and tortuous process. He doesn't have to be right. He just have to live with it. We can either respect that, or we can tell him he is wrong. It changes nothing. Jack knew this, and did not argue. Jack simply loved Ennis for as long as he could. I don't think of Ennis as straight or gay. I think of Ennis as a loving man.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jan 28, 2008, 03:13 AM
Ennis lived a straight life, considered himself straight, did straight things, but loved a man.   His torture and his war was inside of him, and this is what tore at him.  I've felt always  his sexuality was burden and blessing to him.   He loved Jack, wanted him, needed him, but would not live with him, but never let him go, and Jack loved him throughout this.  In the ss and in the movie did Ennis deal with his demons?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 28, 2008, 10:24 AM
Thomas, lamusica,

What you're discussing is fascinating.  My take is Ennis was "Passing" for straight in order to live in a world that he knew he would be killed if they ever found he was "queer". 

He never refuted who he was, not with Jack anyway.  But in order to live and function in his world, he had to be something he wasn't.   This was preservation mode.  Solely done so he can work, live, and not be found strung up in an irrigation ditch. 

Right or wrong labels run through this story, "queer", "Jack Nasty", "boys like you", there was no getting around it, or getting away from it.  Labels were like tire irons, and it beat both of them down.

I must admit that the layering of labels and symbols in the story and movie evoke so many varying responses in each of us.

I think that whatever each label or symbol evokes in each of us, it makes us think about how we try to understand the relationship of Ennis and Jack according to our own unique world views.

Discussing Ennis's "gayness" can't be dissociated from the way we try to understand the whole character of Ennis.  Personally, I look of Ennis through the lens of so many gay men who grew up and lived in an earlier less tolerant time -- and they did whatever it took to arrive at a separate peace with how they viewed themselves privately and publicly.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jan 28, 2008, 11:55 PM
Ennis lived a straight life, considered himself straight, did straight things, but loved a man.   His torture and his war was inside of him, and this is what tore at him.  I've felt always  his sexuality was burden and blessing to him.   He loved Jack, wanted him, needed him, but would not live with him, but never let him go, and Jack loved him throughout this.  In the ss and in the movie did Ennis deal with his demons?


You always cut to the core, manhattangirl. Every word you wrote in that short paragraph is eloquent and rings true to me. I don't have the answer to your question. I just know that in the final scene, Ennis accepted his love for Jack, disregarded the labels and inner struggle, and moved on to live a life at peace and content with himself. The rest of the world can go to hell. Sorry for the expletive, but I am feeling angry at the way some people treat Heath's memory, and I just can't feel anything but bitterness at a world cold and cruel. Why should anyone, Ennis especially, care what a cold cruel world might think? Ennis learned, by finding the two shirts, that all that matters to him was the love that Jack had for him, all those years. If Jack was alive, he would move to Lightning Flat in a flash and redline all the way. Labels or no labels, 'em words meant nothing at all. Ennis was a man of few words anyway.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jan 29, 2008, 06:24 PM
 
You always cut to the core, manhattangirl. Every word you wrote in that short paragraph is eloquent and rings true to me. I don't have the answer to your question. I just know that in the final scene, Ennis accepted his love for Jack, disregarded the labels and inner struggle, and moved on to live a life at peace and content with himself. The rest of the world can go to hell. Sorry for the expletive, but I am feeling angry at the way some people treat Heath's memory, and I just can't feel anything but bitterness at a world cold and cruel. Why should anyone, Ennis especially, care what a cold cruel world might think? Ennis learned, by finding the two shirts, that all that matters to him was the love that Jack had for him, all those years. If Jack was alive, he would move to Lightning Flat in a flash and redline all the way. Labels or no labels, 'em words meant nothing at all. Ennis was a man of few words anyway.

Sweet, Sweet Andrew,

Remember Daniel Day Lewis mentioned the final scene in BBM.  He saw what  you saw, what we all we all saw, a message given and received.   
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jan 30, 2008, 08:23 AM
I think all of us will agree that in the final scene, the expression of love transcended gender, orientation, and fear.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: NoReins on Jan 30, 2008, 09:05 AM
You always cut to the core, manhattangirl. Every word you wrote in that short paragraph is eloquent and rings true to me. I don't have the answer to your question. I just know that in the final scene, Ennis accepted his love for Jack, disregarded the labels and inner struggle, and moved on to live a life at peace and content with himself. The rest of the world can go to hell. Sorry for the expletive, but I am feeling angry at the way some people treat Heath's memory, and I just can't feel anything but bitterness at a world cold and cruel. Why should anyone, Ennis especially, care what a cold cruel world might think? Ennis learned, by finding the two shirts, that all that matters to him was the love that Jack had for him, all those years. If Jack was alive, he would move to Lightning Flat in a flash and redline all the way. Labels or no labels, 'em words meant nothing at all. Ennis was a man of few words anyway.



I've just come back to this thread after months away (never enough time, never enough) and I'm so impressed with all the discussion and thoughts. I could have quoted from any number of posts, but I think what Andrew says here cuts right to the heart of the matter and expresses beautifully what I think about the realisation that Ennis came to in Jack's closet. If only Jack had lived....

Thanks everyone ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Feb 19, 2008, 12:07 PM
looool finaly ive found this topic to post in. i am not sure if either of them are gay my theories are in no particular order

1)jack = gay  ennis=gay obviouse 1 bt in my mind the least lickely
2)jack= straight ennis= straight
3)jack= straight ennis=bi
4)jack= bi ennis= bi
5)jack= gay ennis=straight or vice versa

i could go on forever but there is some i have ways to justify all of these but i think they were either both straight (and just fell in love with each other outside of physical ways) or both bi my reasons for this way of thinking are both characters showed intrest in women over men except when it came to each other and yes you may say jack slept with the guy in mexico but that could have been just so he could pretend it was ennis and also you may say there marrigaes were just cover ups but then why would jack have started an affair with the woman from the party? fair enough lureen could have been a cover up but the fact he wanted another woman makes me think :-\\. but anyway i dont think their sexuality really matters much as much as the fact they fell in love and love doesnt work by lables.


you know i think it is a shame other straight people cant be more accepting like me but many straiht guys are so closed minded they would be insecure talking about this and would rather just give abuse
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 19, 2008, 12:28 PM
For me, both of them being bi is a distinct possibility.  But as I said in a previous post, an outward interest in women or even sex with women does not prove that the protagonists were not gay. 

Throughout history, gays have been forced to hide their identities through pragmatic marriages or through sexual activity with women so as to prove "manliness".  It is not uncommon to find to this day elderly gay men who are married and have sired children in order to keep their sexual identity a secret.

   
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Feb 19, 2008, 03:48 PM
looool finaly ive found this topic to post in. i am not sure if either of them are gay my theories are in no particular order

1)jack = gay  ennis=gay obviouse 1 bt in my mind the least lickely
2)jack= straight ennis= straight
3)jack= straight ennis=bi
4)jack= bi ennis= bi
5)jack= gay ennis=straight or vice versa

i could go on forever but there is some i have ways to justify all of these but i think they were either both straight (and just fell in love with each other outside of physical ways) or both bi my reasons for this way of thinking are both characters showed intrest in women over men except when it came to each other and yes you may say jack slept with the guy in mexico but that could have been just so he could pretend it was ennis and also you may say there marrigaes were just cover ups but then why would jack have started an affair with the woman from the party? fair enough lureen could have been a cover up but the fact he wanted another woman makes me think :-\\. but anyway i dont think their sexuality really matters much as much as the fact they fell in love and love doesnt work by lables.


you know i think it is a shame other straight people cant be more accepting like me but many straiht guys are so closed minded they would be insecure talking about this and would rather just give abuse


I don't feel Jack actually had an an affair with LaShawn, He only told Ennis that to keep Randall a secret.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Feb 19, 2008, 07:28 PM
I don't feel Jack actually had an an affair with LaShawn, He only told Ennis that to keep Randall a secret.

shit id been denying the randall thing the Mexico thing was bad enough i cant believe that he had a relationship with Randall Ive decided it was just a friendship that reminded jack of Ennis i feel jack and Ennis's love was to powerful to be replaced i really do thinking of anything else sullies jacks memory for me. when it was with a woman it seemed different not other men they loved only each other man now i am paroting myself. my denial was nice thnx for ruining it lol ahhhh well it must have just been the same thing as Mexico that he was just trying to remind himself of Ennis by sleeping with another guy. please oh please be true
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Feb 19, 2008, 08:25 PM
What I've aways found interesting is the "the boys like you "remark  Ennis made to Jack, and Jack not flinching, Jack replying, "Yeah what's the f#@king problem"  "Mexico" cutting it right down to the bone.  Ennis accusing him of being "queer", Jack acknowledging himself as such.  It all comes out, self realization, the love, the fear, that self imposed suppression cracking wide open.   It was all too much for Ennis to bare, Jack making it clear to him what all of it was doing to them.  It would take Jack's death for him to understand it.     
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Feb 20, 2008, 07:14 AM
What I've aways found interesting is the "the boys like you "remark  Ennis made to Jack, and Jack not flinching, Jack replying, "Yeah what's the f#@king problem"  "Mexico" cutting it right down to the bone.  Ennis accusing him of being "queer", Jack acknowledging himself as such.  It all comes out, self realization, the love, the fear, that self imposed suppression cracking wide open.   It was all too much for Ennis to bare, Jack making it clear to him what all of it was doing to them.  It would take Jack's death for him to understand it.     
Yes,this "boys like you" remark has always catched my attention,too.It seems to me as a Ennis way of separating clearly his own feelings from Jack's ones ,sexually speaking-as the question was between two different persons in this sense...-.I've always thought that this remark is a kind of Ennis self-protection against the possibility of being a "queer" himself; a kind of denial that what he felt for Jack was nonsexual,with a no definite gender of the loved being.And that the jealousy attack that he suffered then was his realization that women were never going to be a real rival for him in Jack's sexuality and affection,but men were...And maybe for himself,because accepting his partner's homosexuality was the most similar to accept his also,hence his aggressive reaction.
We'll never know if Ennis would have another male relationship if Jack hadn't appeared in his life,but it's rather sure he will.Homosexuality and even sexuality in global sense,has always been "painted" before his eyes with the most somber colours.This produces some rejection in child's mind,but also some attraction at the same time,but everything that is forbidden creates this attraction immediately.So,perhaps Ennis would have lived a classical and conventional marriage life with Alma,but sooner or later his curiosity disguised with fear and rejection,had appeared.JMO.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 20, 2008, 09:30 AM
Yes,this "boys like you" remark has always catched my attention,too.It seems to me as a Ennis way of separating clearly his own feelings from Jack's ones ,sexually speaking-as the question was between two different persons in this sense...-.I've always thought that this remark is a kind of Ennis self-protection against the possibility of being a "queer" himself; a kind of denial that what he felt for Jack was nonsexual,with a no definite gender of the loved being. ...

I do agree with this. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Feb 20, 2008, 12:27 PM
You always cut to the core, manhattangirl. Every word you wrote in that short paragraph is eloquent and rings true to me. I don't have the answer to your question. I just know that in the final scene, Ennis accepted his love for Jack, disregarded the labels and inner struggle, and moved on to live a life at peace and content with himself. The rest of the world can go to hell. Sorry for the expletive, but I am feeling angry at the way some people treat Heath's memory, and I just can't feel anything but bitterness at a world cold and cruel. Why should anyone, Ennis especially, care what a cold cruel world might think? Ennis learned, by finding the two shirts, that all that matters to him was the love that Jack had for him, all those years. If Jack was alive, he would move to Lightning Flat in a flash and redline all the way. Labels or no labels, 'em words meant nothing at all. Ennis was a man of few words anyway.



i am also getting angry with haters who disrepect heaths death saying thing like he deserved to die. one of the worst groups are the WBC some so called church( more acurately cult) that has slogans including "god hates fags", "thank god for dead soldiers", thank god for 9/11 and god hates fag enabelers (a fag enabler is there word for guys like me who are not our selves gay but beleive in gay rights). rhis group is vile and they call what they are doing gods work oh also forgot to hate the slogan "god hates the world and all her people". they are not only homophobes they are also racist they need to be stopped i urge anyone reading this to try and stop them if an oppertunity ever a rises.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Feb 21, 2008, 12:00 PM
i am also getting angry with haters who disrepect heaths death saying thing like he deserved to die. one of the worst groups are the WBC some so called church( more acurately cult) that has slogans including "god hates fags", "thank god for dead soldiers", thank god for 9/11 and god hates fag enabelers (a fag enabler is there word for guys like me who are not our selves gay but beleive in gay rights). rhis group is vile and they call what they are doing gods work oh also forgot to hate the slogan "god hates the world and all her people". they are not only homophobes they are also racist they need to be stopped i urge anyone reading this to try and stop them if an oppertunity ever a rises.

I think this kind of " persons" don't deserve we spend an only minute speaking about them,Zankou. :i This is why in another thread I said that nobody SHOULD care for sexual option in our days...but they care,and how¡.  ^^) And if this happens nowadays,we can easily imagine how strong homophobia could be in Ennis and Jack's  time in a little rural and underdeveloped community environment.And also Ennis position and struggle between his intimate feelings and his social duties,no matter which label we put on him;straight,bisexual or gay,what does this matter?He was a man deeply in love with another person,who happenned to be another man,and that's should be enough for any person sensitive and clever enough.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Feb 21, 2008, 07:26 PM
I think this kind of " persons" don't deserve we spend an only minute speaking about them,Zankou. :i This is why in another thread I said that nobody SHOULD care for sexual option in our days...but they care,and how¡.  ^^) And if this happens nowadays,we can easily imagine how strong homophobia could be in Ennis and Jack's  time in a little rural and underdeveloped community environment.And also Ennis position and struggle between his intimate feelings and his social duties,no matter which label we put on him;straight,bisexual or gay,what does this matter?He was a man deeply in love with another person,who happenned to be another man,and that's should be enough for any person sensitive and clever enough.

yer well said. i dont think the world will ever be totally free from homophobes but im sure it will one day be alot better
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 14, 2008, 09:17 AM
Well, I don't like labels, but yeah, I think Ennis was homosexual, and deep down inside, he knew it, and had known it for some time. I think Ennis as a teenager, had realized that he was attracted to other guys...but of course never, ever spoke of it. He knew that society would never accept him for it, and he had seen with his own eyes what could happen to someone that was gay. If Ennis had never met Jack, he would have just married Alma, and lived his entire life pretending to be something he wasn't, going through the motions, not being happy, but of course, just accepting it, for he had no choice. It's obvious that in being with Alma, before Ennis met Jack, that he was completely lying to himself. After he met Jack, Ennis was lying to himself even more by being married to Alma. Ennis was a person who felt he had to betray himself and just live a life that others chose for him. He was afraid to go on his own path because of what people might do to him if he did. But of course, lying to himself made even feel more miserable. So if he hadn't met Jack, he would have never had a relationship with another man, unless someone came along that was exactly like Jack, which of course, probably wouldn't have happened, because there's no one like that Jack Twist ;). Jack had a certain set of qualities and personality that was the only thing that could have ever brought Ennis out of the protective wall he'd built to shield himself from this world. I think it's so beautiful, because Ennis had this wonderful capacity to love so purely, so deeply, with his whole heart and soul, but it had to be with that one special person, one true love, and that was Jack, of course. If he hadn't met Jack, Ennis would have just been married to Alma for the rest of his life. Jack coming along was once-in-a-lifetime...he and Ennis were destined to find each other, because they were soulmates  :).
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Mar 14, 2008, 10:20 AM
Well, I don't like labels, but yeah, I think Ennis was homosexual, and deep down inside, he knew it, and had known it for some time. I think Ennis as a teenager, had realized that he was attracted to other guys...but of course never, ever spoke of it. He knew that society would never accept him for it, and he had seen with his own eyes what could happen to someone that was gay. If Ennis had never met Jack, he would have just married Alma, and lived his entire life pretending to be something he wasn't, going through the motions, not being happy, but of course, just accepting it, for he had no choice. It's obvious that in being with Alma, before Ennis met Jack, that he was completely lying to himself. After he met Jack, Ennis was lying to himself even more by being married to Alma. Ennis was a person who felt he had to betray himself and just live a life that others chose for him. He was afraid to go on his own path because of what people might do to him if he did. But of course, lying to himself made even feel more miserable. So if he hadn't met Jack, he would have never had a relationship with another man, unless someone came along that was exactly like Jack, which of course, probably wouldn't have happened, because there's no one like that Jack Twist ;). Jack had a certain set of qualities and personality that was the only thing that could have ever brought Ennis out of the protective wall he'd built to shield himself from this world. I think it's so beautiful, because Ennis had this wonderful capacity to love so purely, so deeply, with his whole heart and soul, but it had to be with that one special person, one true love, and that was Jack, of course. If he hadn't met Jack, Ennis would have just been married to Alma for the rest of his life. Jack coming along was once-in-a-lifetime...he and Ennis were destined to find each other, because they were soulmates  :).

Wonderful post again,Athena,thanks for it¡ ^f^  I also guess that Ennis would have lived a complete "normal" and ordinary life with a woman,in a kind of existential frame that he knew was what society hoped from him.But I think that,sooner or later,he found himself feeling miserable with this life,he found that anything lacked in it,and ended by living so bitterly than having Jack's love,but for other causes.I don't know either if he had risked to have a romantic or sexual relationship with another man,maybe if the circumstances were proper...As when he met Jack,but,as you say,this kind of love is one in a life time.Moreover,one falls for someone also because you find him or her in the right moment,when you need more for someone like them; and it's obvious that Jack and Ennis met each other in this right moment,when they could need someone like each other the most.And it was unavoidable to fall in love with each other.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Mar 14, 2008, 11:28 AM
it has started to become clearer to me every day that  we will really never know and nor does it matter all that much about ennis' sexuality i suppose im just thinking like this because i know my sexuality doesnt have a lable for it, IMO sexuality is free and is individual to the individual person what we can be sure of is ennis loved jack in everyway and this is the true thing that matters wether ennis was gay, bi, straight or none of those options it really doesnt matter all to much. currently i think he was gay but i change my mind all the time but one feeling i have that is constant is that it doesnt matter what he was he loved jack and it was bautiful. so there is my opinion hope i explained it okay :)

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 14, 2008, 01:05 PM
Wonderful post again,Athena,thanks for it¡ ^f^  I also guess that Ennis would have lived a complete "normal" and ordinary life with a woman,in a kind of existential frame that he knew was what society hoped from him.But I think that,sooner or later,he found himself feeling miserable with this life,he found that anything lacked in it,and ended by living so bitterly than having Jack's love,but for other causes.I don't know either if he had risked to have a romantic or sexual relationship with another man,maybe if the circumstances were proper...As when he met Jack,but,as you say,this kind of love is one in a life time.Moreover,one falls for someone also because you find him or her in the right moment,when you need more for someone like them; and it's obvious that Jack and Ennis met each other in this right moment,when they could need someone like each other the most.And it was unavoidable to fall in love with each other.

Ennis was attracted to men, and he knew that. Of course, he knew society would never understand him, so therefore he had to lie to himself, and make himself think he was fine with Alma. So that's why he got engaged to her. It was what was expected of him, he didn't think he would ever have the chance to be true to himself and go his own path in his life, he knew how oppressive society was, because he had seen how Earl had been savagely murdered. So he figured that he could just put up with the life that was expected of him if he married Alma and he convinced himself that over time, it would be okay. You can tell from when he sees Jack for the first time outside Aguirre's trailer, that he's attracted to this man, but trying to hide it. Yes, Ennis is a person who has a shy nature, so he would be nervous around anyone, but there's something about the way he looks at Jack, and then pretends he's not looking that lets you know he feels something for this man. With Jack, Ennis experienced what he thought he would never have in this life. He experienced true love, happiness, and freedom. After he found true love with Jack, Ennis could never see himself being with anyone else, man or woman. If you look at all the scenes with Alma, you can tell how Ennis' mind is somewhere else, he's thinking of Jack, his mind and soul are with Jack, wishing he was with Jack.  So that's how I see it. As for Jack, we know he had sexual relations with other men, but he didn't feel anything for them. Jack used sex with other men to numb himself from the intense  sorrow and despair he felt about not being with his one true love, Ennis. It's the same as if someone were using drugs or alcohol to just temporarily numb themselves from their despair. As for Jack's relationship with Lureen, that goes along the same line as Ennis' with Alma. His body was there, his mind and soul were with Ennis, and he wished his whole being could be with Ennis. Like I said before, these two boys were meant for each other. They found each other at the right place and the right time, because it was destiny. They found what most people don't ever find in this life, and they belonged forever in each other arms. For the shared their hearts, their minds, their souls, and the entirety of their beings. They were each other's breath, they were each other's heartbeat, they were each other's life...without each other they were merely shadows of themselves.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Mar 15, 2008, 06:32 PM
I can only say: Wonderful post,Athena¡ It summarises all the living and way of feeling,the needs and fears,all what our boys mean for each other and all what they are...Impossible to add anything more. ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Mar 22, 2008, 12:50 PM
it has started to become clearer to me every day that  we will really never know and nor does it matter all that much about ennis' sexuality i suppose im just thinking like this because i know my sexuality doesnt have a lable for it, IMO sexuality is free and is individual to the individual person what we can be sure of is ennis loved jack in everyway and this is the true thing that matters wether ennis was gay, bi, straight or none of those options it really doesnt matter all to much. currently i think he was gay but i change my mind all the time but one feeling i have that is constant is that it doesnt matter what he was he loved jack and it was bautiful. so there is my opinion hope i explained it okay :)


Yup. You explained it beautifully. It's just what I have always believed: It does not matter who you love; what's important is how you love him or her. And more importantly for me, I have also learned recently, that what really matters is how he loves you, or me. It's not enough that Ennis loves Jack or that Jack loves Ennis. What makes Brokeback Mountain special is that they love each other with the force of nature. It's nobody's business but theirs. We are only privileged to be witnesses to their story. We have no right to interfere.

Heath said it beautifully, too, that the movie was about two souls loving each other, and they just happened to be in vessals of two men. The tragedy is not from their being gay or whatever, but from society interferring.
 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Mar 22, 2008, 01:18 PM
Yup. You explained it beautifully. It's just what I have always believed: It does not matter who you love; what's important is how you love him or her. And more importantly for me, I have also learned recently, that what really matters is how he loves you, or me. It's not enough that Ennis loves Jack or that Jack loves Ennis. What makes Brokeback Mountain special is that they love each other with the force of nature. It's nobody's business but theirs. We are only privileged to be witnesses to their story. We have no right to interfere.

Heath said it beautifully, too, that the movie was about two souls loving each other, and they just happened to be in vessals of two men. The tragedy is not from their being gay or whatever, but from society interferring.
 

mmm heath was so wise
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 22, 2008, 09:51 PM
They were indeed two human souls who truly loved each other, and that's all that really matters. My belief is that Ennis was gay, and so was Jack, but those are just labels and don't really mean anything in true depth of things. What I mean to say when I say this is that both Jack and Ennis knew they were attracted to other guys long before they met. Ennis, knowing he was different, and knowing what could happen to him because of it, kept it hidden. He had convinced himself he loved Alma, and had he not met Jack, he would have never been in a relationship with another man. Not acting on attraction doesn't mean the attraction is not there, though. It wouldn't have changed the fact of who Ennis was really attracted to. He felt that marriage to a woman was his only choice, and if it to wasn't Alma, it would just be some other, similar woman. That's what society expected of him, those were the chains imposed on him by society. But then Jack came along, and Ennis found out what true love really is. Had Ennis never met Jack, he would have never experienced true love in his life. He would have married Alma, and eventually he would have realized he didn't love her, but he would have just endured his misery. A After Ennis met Jack, he realized that he had been lying to himself about Alma. He didn't know how he was going to back and marry her and live the life that was expected of him. He knew it would be a mistake to marrying Alma. Jack was his real true, love. Jack was his real, true life. But he felt like he had no choice but to go back and marry Alma, and do what society expected, he felt like he had no choice, even though he would be miserable. He was afraid going the path he really wanted, because two guys in love with each other was always equated to the heinous murder of Earl in his mind. He was afraid of what people would think and say, and what they might do to him and Jack if they found out about them. This is what caused all the problems in Jack and Ennis' relationship. The fact that Ennis let the fear and restrictions of society hinder him from being with his one true love. Ennis didn't have relationships with other men because he was in love with Jack. Just like a person can be heterosexual and once they find that one true love, if they ever do, they can't imagine themselves being with any other person. Ennis couldn't imagine himself with anyone else besides Jack, whether it be man or woman. He was married to Alma because that's what he was stuck with, it was a marriage he felt forced into by society. He later dates Cassie, not because he has any real feeling for her, but because she, like Alma, was a cover. Jack married Lureen for reasons similar to Ennis', it was what was expected. Later, when Jack had sexual relationships with other men, it was definitely not because he didn't love Ennis. Jack never had any real feelings for the other guys, he was just using sex to temporarily numb his despair, like some people use drugs or alcohol for the same reason. Jack had real, pure, deep feelings for only one man, and that was Ennis. Ennis was his one, true love. Jack's relationships with other men were to temporarily numb the despair he was feeling because he couldn't be with Ennis, and because he was miserable in his marriage to Lureen. All that Jack ever wanted in his life was to be with Ennis. Ennis was his happiness, his soulmate, his dream, the love of his life, his whole world was Ennis. As for Ennis, he felt the same way about Jack. All Ennis really wanted was to be with Jack. Jack was his life and his world, his soulmate, the only person who understood him, the only person he could be free and happy with. Despite all the misery, sorrow, and despair Ennis felt being trapped, being married to Alma, living a lie, living a life that wasn't for him, he still had some thing to live for. He had those precious times with Jack a few times each year, and that was what gave his life meaning, what gave him moments of happiness in his life, that was what he lived for. Unforunately, Ennis was emotionally scarred and traumatized by what his father showed him when he was a child. The fear of himself and Jack being brutally tortured and murdered was unbearable for him, and it kept him from living the life he deserved.  That's the entire message of the film. Two human beings found what most people don't ever find in this world...they found, pure, true, deep love, a beautiful and unbreakable bond of souls. Tragically, they couldn't be together because of the circumstances, the cruelty, ignorance, and oppression of society, and the fear that such a society instilled. They were two human beings who truly loved each other who just happened to be two men. Everyone else didn't matter. It's a love story between Jack and Ennis, that's it. That's the meaning of it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 23, 2008, 12:15 AM
They were indeed two human souls who truly loved each other, and that's all that really matters. My belief is that Ennis was gay, and so was Jack, but those are just labels and don't really mean anything in true depth of things. What I mean to say when I say this is that both Jack and Ennis knew they were attracted to other guys long before they met. Ennis, knowing he was different, and knowing what could happen to him because of it, kept it hidden. He had convinced himself he loved Alma, and had he not met Jack, he would have never been in a relationship with another man. Not acting on attraction doesn't mean the attraction is not there, though. It wouldn't have changed the fact of who Ennis was really attracted to. He felt that marriage to a woman was his only choice, and if it to wasn't Alma, it would just be some other, similar woman. That's what society expected of him, those were the chains imposed on him by society. But then Jack came along, and Ennis found out what true love really is. Had Ennis never met Jack, he would have never experienced true love in his life. He would have married Alma, and eventually he would have realized he didn't love her, but he would have just endured his misery. A After Ennis met Jack, he realized that he had been lying to himself about Alma. He didn't know how he was going to back and marry her and live the life that was expected of him. He knew it would be a mistake to marrying Alma. Jack was his real true, love. Jack was his real, true life. But he felt like he had no choice but to go back and marry Alma, and do what society expected, he felt like he had no choice, even though he would be miserable. He was afraid going the path he really wanted, because two guys in love with each other was always equated to the heinous murder of Earl in his mind. He was afraid of what people would think and say, and what they might do to him and Jack if they found out about them. This is what caused all the problems in Jack and Ennis' relationship. The fact that Ennis let the fear and restrictions of society hinder him from being with his one true love. Ennis didn't have relationships with other men because he was in love with Jack. Just like a person can be heterosexual and once they find that one true love, if they ever do, they can't imagine themselves being with any other person. Ennis couldn't imagine himself with anyone else besides Jack, whether it be man or woman. He was married to Alma because that's what he was stuck with, it was a marriage he felt forced into by society. He later dates Cassie, not because he has any real feeling for her, but because she, like Alma, was a cover. Jack married Lureen for reasons similar to Ennis', it was what was expected. Later, when Jack had sexual relationships with other men, it was definitely not because he didn't love Ennis. Jack never had any real feelings for the other guys, he was just using sex to temporarily numb his despair, like some people use drugs or alcohol for the same reason. Jack had real, pure, deep feelings for only one man, and that was Ennis. Ennis was his one, true love. Jack's relationships with other men were to temporarily numb the despair he was feeling because he couldn't be with Ennis, and because he was miserable in his marriage to Lureen. All that Jack ever wanted in his life was to be with Ennis. Ennis was his happiness, his soulmate, his dream, the love of his life, his whole world was Ennis. As for Ennis, he felt the same way about Jack. All Ennis really wanted was to be with Jack. Jack was his life and his world, his soulmate, the only person who understood him, the only person he could be free and happy with. Despite all the misery, sorrow, and despair Ennis felt being trapped, being married to Alma, living a lie, living a life that wasn't for him, he still had some thing to live for. He had those precious times with Jack a few times each year, and that was what gave his life meaning, what gave him moments of happiness in his life, that was what he lived for. Unforunately, Ennis was emotionally scarred and traumatized by what his father showed him when he was a child. The fear of himself and Jack being brutally tortured and murdered was unbearable for him, and it kept him from living the life he deserved.  That's the entire message of the film. Two human beings found what most people don't ever find in this world...they found, pure, true, deep love, a beautiful and unbreakable bond of souls. Tragically, they couldn't be together because of the circumstances, the cruelty, ignorance, and oppression of society, and the fear that such a society instilled. They were two human beings who truly loved each other who just happened to be two men. Everyone else didn't matter. It's a love story between Jack and Ennis, that's it. That's the meaning of it.

You draw it out slowly, and I feel awkward having to quote the whole thing, but I do. Rather than sort of fancying the subject up with "2 souls loving each other, incoherent to homosexual attraction" and the like, you nail the subject matter over and over, into Ennis' closet door. This brought tears to my eyes, and I agree with it. They both were attracted to men and although Ennis had been 'unsure' most of his life, that too is a fuzzy convertible top to his wheels blazing straight down a safe path with no curves. He was always gay, and when he met Jack he simply couldn't deny his boisterous heart. Sure he could hush it up like the stoic he'd become, but his heart would now take the wheel..
Thank you for your post.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Mar 23, 2008, 05:06 AM
That was some post Athena and it is pretty much what has been in my head but could never put the words on paper.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Mar 23, 2008, 05:59 AM
They were indeed two human souls who truly loved each other, and that's all that really matters. My belief is that Ennis was gay, and so was Jack, but those are just labels and don't really mean anything in true depth of things. What I mean to say when I say this is that both Jack and Ennis knew they were attracted to other guys long before they met. Ennis, knowing he was different, and knowing what could happen to him because of it, kept it hidden. He had convinced himself he loved Alma, and had he not met Jack, he would have never been in a relationship with another man. Not acting on attraction doesn't mean the attraction is not there, though. It wouldn't have changed the fact of who Ennis was really attracted to. He felt that marriage to a woman was his only choice, and if it to wasn't Alma, it would just be some other, similar woman. That's what society expected of him, those were the chains imposed on him by society. But then Jack came along, and Ennis found out what true love really is. Had Ennis never met Jack, he would have never experienced true love in his life. He would have married Alma, and eventually he would have realized he didn't love her, but he would have just endured his misery. A After Ennis met Jack, he realized that he had been lying to himself about Alma. He didn't know how he was going to back and marry her and live the life that was expected of him. He knew it would be a mistake to marrying Alma. Jack was his real true, love. Jack was his real, true life. But he felt like he had no choice but to go back and marry Alma, and do what society expected, he felt like he had no choice, even though he would be miserable. He was afraid going the path he really wanted, because two guys in love with each other was always equated to the heinous murder of Earl in his mind. He was afraid of what people would think and say, and what they might do to him and Jack if they found out about them. This is what caused all the problems in Jack and Ennis' relationship. The fact that Ennis let the fear and restrictions of society hinder him from being with his one true love. Ennis didn't have relationships with other men because he was in love with Jack. Just like a person can be heterosexual and once they find that one true love, if they ever do, they can't imagine themselves being with any other person. Ennis couldn't imagine himself with anyone else besides Jack, whether it be man or woman. He was married to Alma because that's what he was stuck with, it was a marriage he felt forced into by society. He later dates Cassie, not because he has any real feeling for her, but because she, like Alma, was a cover. Jack married Lureen for reasons similar to Ennis', it was what was expected. Later, when Jack had sexual relationships with other men, it was definitely not because he didn't love Ennis. Jack never had any real feelings for the other guys, he was just using sex to temporarily numb his despair, like some people use drugs or alcohol for the same reason. Jack had real, pure, deep feelings for only one man, and that was Ennis. Ennis was his one, true love. Jack's relationships with other men were to temporarily numb the despair he was feeling because he couldn't be with Ennis, and because he was miserable in his marriage to Lureen. All that Jack ever wanted in his life was to be with Ennis. Ennis was his happiness, his soulmate, his dream, the love of his life, his whole world was Ennis. As for Ennis, he felt the same way about Jack. All Ennis really wanted was to be with Jack. Jack was his life and his world, his soulmate, the only person who understood him, the only person he could be free and happy with. Despite all the misery, sorrow, and despair Ennis felt being trapped, being married to Alma, living a lie, living a life that wasn't for him, he still had some thing to live for. He had those precious times with Jack a few times each year, and that was what gave his life meaning, what gave him moments of happiness in his life, that was what he lived for. Unforunately, Ennis was emotionally scarred and traumatized by what his father showed him when he was a child. The fear of himself and Jack being brutally tortured and murdered was unbearable for him, and it kept him from living the life he deserved.  That's the entire message of the film. Two human beings found what most people don't ever find in this world...they found, pure, true, deep love, a beautiful and unbreakable bond of souls. Tragically, they couldn't be together because of the circumstances, the cruelty, ignorance, and oppression of society, and the fear that such a society instilled. They were two human beings who truly loved each other who just happened to be two men. Everyone else didn't matter. It's a love story between Jack and Ennis, that's it. That's the meaning of it.

very very good post i wish i could get my feelings onto the page like that i agree very mmuch with what you said here especially about his true love in a was i almost feel ennis to a homophobic homosexual in the start but its not long before he accepts yet he is still uncomfortable with the subject again worried not about the fact he loved jack but what society would do about it, ennis just felt it better to try and live his expected life and only meet jack a few times a year "way out in the middle of no where", i almost feel ennis was affraid to be gay not becaue he felt it was wrong but because he feared society view of it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 23, 2008, 10:39 AM
very very good post i wish i could get my feelings onto the page like that i agree very mmuch with what you said here especially about his true love in a was i almost feel ennis to a homophobic homosexual in the start but its not long before he accepts yet he is still uncomfortable with the subject again worried not about the fact he loved jack but what society would do about it, ennis just felt it better to try and live his expected life and only meet jack a few times a year "way out in the middle of no where", i almost feel ennis was affraid to be gay not becaue he felt it was wrong but because he feared society view of it.

Ennis knew he loved Jack, and before he met Jack, deep down inside he knew who he was. It was just something he couldn't express until Jack came into his life. Ennis wasn't afraid of himself. He was afraid of society, because it would never allow him to be himself. Ennis wasn't afraid of the feelings he had for Jack, he was afraid what would happen if anyone found out about those feelings. Had Ennis been uncomfortable with himself and had he thought that his love for Jack was wrong, he wouldn't have walked into the tent the second night. He wouldn't have replied to Jack's postcards. He wouldn't have gone on getaway trips with him. Ennis lived for the moments he could be with Jack. Jack was his world, Jack was his life. Ennis wasn't afraid to be with Jack because he thought it was wrong, he was afraid to be with Jack because society thought it was wrong. He thought they could only secretly see each other a few times a year, because that way no one would know. But to buy a ranch and live together, people would find out,  and Ennis had already seen with his own eyes what would happen if society found out. Those awful images of the heinously murdered Earl were ingrained in his mind. He was afraid of what people would think and say, and even more of what they might do to him and Jack if they found out. So what could Ennis do? He felt powerless. All he really wanted in his life was to be with the man he truly loved, it was killing him that he couldn't always be with Jack, but what could he do? In the end he realizes he shouldn't have let his fear of society imprison him because he realized how much hurt and suffering both he and Jack had endured all these years because they couldn't always be together, the way they were meant to.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Mar 23, 2008, 10:47 AM
Ennis knew he loved Jack, and before he met Jack, deep down inside he knew who he was. It was just something he couldn't express until Jack came into his life. Ennis wasn't afraid of himself. He was afraid of society, because it would never allow him to be himself. Ennis wasn't afraid of the feelings he had for Jack, he was afraid what would happen if anyone found out about those feelings. Had Ennis been uncomfortable with himself and had he thought that his love for Jack was wrong, he wouldn't have walked into the tent the second night. Ennis wasn't afraid to be with Jack because he thought it was wrong, he was afraid to be with Jack because society thought it was wrong. He was afraid of what people would think and say, and even more of what they might do to him and Jack if they found out.

yer thats what i was meaning but sometimes i cant get my point across to well
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 23, 2008, 11:09 AM
yer thats what i was meaning but sometimes i cant get my point across to well

Yeah, I know. I was just embellishing on it, if you don't mind.  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Mar 23, 2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I know. I was just embellishing on it, if you don't mind.  :)

no no go ahead embelish you make what i say make more sense :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Mar 23, 2008, 02:28 PM
They were indeed two human souls who truly loved each other, and that's all that really matters. My belief is that Ennis was gay, and so was Jack, but those are just labels and don't really mean anything in true depth of things. What I mean to say when I say this is that both Jack and Ennis knew they were attracted to other guys long before they met. Ennis, knowing he was different, and knowing what could happen to him because of it, kept it hidden. He had convinced himself he loved Alma, and had he not met Jack, he would have never been in a relationship with another man. Not acting on attraction doesn't mean the attraction is not there, though.

I agree with everyone that this is indeed a beautiful post, with many amazing points describing the relationship in the movie that we all love.

I only have one thing to add, and that is Ennis' awareness of his own feelings. I believe, as Heath stated in one of his interviews, that Ennis was NOT aware of his own potential attraction to Jack until Jack came along. As you said, if Jack never came along, he would have continued in life not experiencing love, all clenched and closed up, trying to be a good husband to Alma, and father to his little girls. He may not be perfect at it, and he may never be happy with it, except as a parent to wonderful girls. But he would not be miserable as he was after the summer of '63 because he would not have the benchmark of true love to measure against a colorless life. Many people live life without experiencing true love, and lead happy enough lives with loved ones. The tragedy here is that Ennis and Jack were denied the opportunity for true love by society, and to a certain degree by themselves. At the end of '63, Ennis did not know Jack loved him, and Jack did not know Ennis loved him. True love was alien to them, and they did not recognize it, so they let it slipped. Jack did not recognize it until the reunion kiss when they met again after four fricking years, until the motel scene, until the riverside chat. His reaching out to Ennis, caressing his ear, after the Earl scene was his own confirmation of his love for Ennis. The tragedy to me, is that Ennis never understood this love until the two shirts. Ennis was so clenched and closed up in his own world that he did not see true love when it was staring at him. He married Alma because he was not about to change his life for something that he was not certain about.

Quote
It wouldn't have changed the fact of who Ennis was really attracted to. He felt that marriage to a woman was his only choice, and if it to wasn't Alma, it would just be some other, similar woman. That's what society expected of him, those were the chains imposed on him by society. But then Jack came along, and Ennis found out what true love really is. Had Ennis never met Jack, he would have never experienced true love in his life. He would have married Alma, and eventually he would have realized he didn't love her, but he would have just endured his misery. A After Ennis met Jack, he realized that he had been lying to himself about Alma. He didn't know how he was going to back and marry her and live the life that was expected of him. He knew it would be a mistake to marrying Alma. Jack was his real true, love. Jack was his real, true life. But he felt like he had no choice but to go back and marry Alma, and do what society expected, he felt like he had no choice, even though he would be miserable. He was afraid going the path he really wanted, because two guys in love with each other was always equated to the heinous murder of Earl in his mind. He was afraid of what people would think and say, and what they might do to him and Jack if they found out about them. This is what caused all the problems in Jack and Ennis' relationship. The fact that Ennis let the fear and restrictions of society hinder him from being with his one true love. Ennis didn't have relationships with other men because he was in love with Jack. Just like a person can be heterosexual and once they find that one true love, if they ever do, they can't imagine themselves being with any other person. Ennis couldn't imagine himself with anyone else besides Jack, whether it be man or woman. He was married to Alma because that's what he was stuck with, it was a marriage he felt forced into by society. He later dates Cassie, not because he has any real feeling for her, but because she, like Alma, was a cover.

Cassie was not so much a cover for Ennis, as she was his destiny, to learn about love. Cassie truly loved Ennis, who could not return that love because his heart was already Jack's. If Cassie had come along before Jack, I have no doubt that their relationship may be a happy one, different from Ennis and Jack, but happy nonetheless. Ennis after the last meeting with Jack was in despair and ended his relationship with Cassie because he felt he was unlovable...nothing...no where. When Cassie told him that girls don't fall in love with fun, he was shocked to know that he was loved, and that perhaps, Jack loved him afterall. That's why he sent the post card to meet in November, to attempt to patch things up, to find true love.

Quote
Jack married Lureen for reasons similar to Ennis', it was what was expected. Later, when Jack had sexual relationships with other men, it was definitely not because he didn't love Ennis. Jack never had any real feelings for the other guys, he was just using sex to temporarily numb his despair, like some people use drugs or alcohol for the same reason. Jack had real, pure, deep feelings for only one man, and that was Ennis. Ennis was his one, true love. Jack's relationships with other men were to temporarily numb the despair he was feeling because he couldn't be with Ennis, and because he was miserable in his marriage to Lureen. All that Jack ever wanted in his life was to be with Ennis. Ennis was his happiness, his soulmate, his dream, the love of his life, his whole world was Ennis. As for Ennis, he felt the same way about Jack. All Ennis really wanted was to be with Jack. Jack was his life and his world, his soulmate, the only person who understood him, the only person he could be free and happy with. Despite all the misery, sorrow, and despair Ennis felt being trapped, being married to Alma, living a lie, living a life that wasn't for him, he still had some thing to live for. He had those precious times with Jack a few times each year, and that was what gave his life meaning, what gave him moments of happiness in his life, that was what he lived for. Unforunately, Ennis was emotionally scarred and traumatized by what his father showed him when he was a child. The fear of himself and Jack being brutally tortured and murdered was unbearable for him, and it kept him from living the life he deserved.  That's the entire message of the film. Two human beings found what most people don't ever find in this world...they found, pure, true, deep love, a beautiful and unbreakable bond of souls. Tragically, they couldn't be together because of the circumstances, the cruelty, ignorance, and oppression of society, and the fear that such a society instilled. They were two human beings who truly loved each other who just happened to be two men. Everyone else didn't matter. It's a love story between Jack and Ennis, that's it. That's the meaning of it.

 :clap: :ghug:
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 23, 2008, 03:39 PM
Hmm  :s)
I like the messages, but I still gotta cling to what athena's saying. I would call Cassie a reason rather than a destiny. She may be a destiny to the extent of this reason, the moral of her relationship (in the regimen of Ennis, I too would call this a cover) with Ennis. But Jack was Ennis' destiny in the big picture; he's the postcard still in Ennis' closet, as part of the emblem preserving Ennis' lost love which makes, finally, loving Jack bittersweet and phenomenally painful. I think Ennis hitched a ride with Cassie to this lonesome landmark where he can sit in his trailer and absorb the moral of the story, and the absense of who Brokeback had destined him to be with.
Sorry, a little dose of the D word goes a long way...
I am good n' depressed now, take care.  %&)

For thread relevance, under my impression of Ennis his homosexuality would indeed be the speller of his destiny. It knew only the 4 letters; it knew love, then it knew Jack.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Mar 23, 2008, 03:44 PM
Hmm  :s)
I like the messages, but I still gotta cling to what athena's saying. I would call Cassie a reason rather than a destiny. She may be a destiny to the lengh this reason, the moral of her relatioship with Ennis. But Jack was Ennis' destiny in the big picture; he's the postcard still in Ennis' closet, as part of the emblem preserving Ennis' lost love which makes, finally, loving Jack bittersweet and phenomenally painful. I think Ennis hitched a ride with Cassie to this lonesome landmark where he can sit in his trailer and absorb the moral of the story, and the absense of who Brokeback had destined him to be with.
Sorry, a little dose of the D word goes a long way...
I am good n' depressed now, take care.  %&)

For thread relevance, under my impression of Ennis his homosexuality would indeed be the speller of his destiny. It knew only the 4 letters; it knew love, then it knew Jack.

i loved that bit so true
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 23, 2008, 09:45 PM
I agree with everyone that this is indeed a beautiful post, with many amazing points describing the relationship in the movie that we all love.

I only have one thing to add, and that is Ennis' awareness of his own feelings. I believe, as Heath stated in one of his interviews, that Ennis was NOT aware of his own potential attraction to Jack until Jack came along. As you said, if Jack never came along, he would have continued in life not experiencing love, all clenched and closed up, trying to be a good husband to Alma, and father to his little girls. He may not be perfect at it, and he may never be happy with it, except as a parent to wonderful girls. But he would not be miserable as he was after the summer of '63 because he would not have the benchmark of true love to measure against a colorless life. Many people live life without experiencing true love, and lead happy enough lives with loved ones. The tragedy here is that Ennis and Jack were denied the opportunity for true love by society, and to a certain degree by themselves. At the end of '63, Ennis did not know Jack loved him, and Jack did not know Ennis loved him. True love was alien to them, and they did not recognize it, so they let it slipped. Jack did not recognize it until the reunion kiss when they met again after four fricking years, until the motel scene, until the riverside chat. His reaching out to Ennis, caressing his ear, after the Earl scene was his own confirmation of his love for Ennis. The tragedy to me, is that Ennis never understood this love until the two shirts. Ennis was so clenched and closed up in his own world that he did not see true love when it was staring at him. He married Alma because he was not about to change his life for something that he was not certain about.

Cassie was not so much a cover for Ennis, as she was his destiny, to learn about love. Cassie truly loved Ennis, who could not return that love because his heart was already Jack's. If Cassie had come along before Jack, I have no doubt that their relationship may be a happy one, different from Ennis and Jack, but happy nonetheless. Ennis after the last meeting with Jack was in despair and ended his relationship with Cassie because he felt he was unlovable...nothing...no where. When Cassie told him that girls don't fall in love with fun, he was shocked to know that he was loved, and that perhaps, Jack loved him afterall. That's why he sent the post card to meet in November, to attempt to patch things up, to find true love.

 :clap: :ghug:

Hmmm, I agree with orangetruck in that I don't see Cassie as destiny for Ennis. Jack was Ennis' destiny and vice versa. Cassie was in many ways just a cover so that Ennis would appear "normal" to society. Although I do agree with you that she did love Ennis, but Ennis' heart already belonged to Jack, so he could never really love her back. The way I see it is that there was only one person Ennis could truly love, and that was Jack. Jack was the complete set of everything that a person had to embody in order to unlock the gates to Ennis' heart, and bring down that wall that Ennis had built around himself. As for when Ennis and Jack fell in love, it was that summer of '63 on Brokeback Mountain. And they realized it then. That's why when Ennis sees Jack four years later, the way his eyes light up, you can tell there hasn't been a day that's gone by in the past four years that he hasn't thought of Jack and how happy, free, alive, and loved Jack made him feel. That's why Jack goes back to ask Aguirre for work the following summer. It's why Ennis burst into tears and was so emotionally distraught on the day he said goodbye to Jack in August of '63. He had just let his true love drive away, and felt he couldn't do anything about it, because he felt imprisoned by society. These boys were destined to be together, and from the beginning they knew this was true love, but didn't know what they could do in such an oppressive society. Had they never met each other, neither would have never experienced true love, so perhaps they could have led somewhat happy lives, but I think there would always be something missing in their hearts. They might not have known what it was, but they would have felt it. But destiny brought them together, and they found what very few people ever find in this world. They found a love that was truly epic. The tragedy is, they were not able to always be together in this life like they were meant to.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Mar 24, 2008, 02:09 AM
Hmm  :s)
I like the messages, but I still gotta cling to what athena's saying. I would call Cassie a reason rather than a destiny. She may be a destiny to the extent of this reason, the moral of her relationship (in the regimen of Ennis, I too would call this a cover) with Ennis. But Jack was Ennis' destiny in the big picture; he's the postcard still in Ennis' closet, as part of the emblem preserving Ennis' lost love which makes, finally, loving Jack bittersweet and phenomenally painful. I think Ennis hitched a ride with Cassie to this lonesome landmark where he can sit in his trailer and absorb the moral of the story, and the absense of who Brokeback had destined him to be with.
Sorry, a little dose of the D word goes a long way...
I am good n' depressed now, take care.  %&)

For thread relevance, under my impression of Ennis his homosexuality would indeed be the speller of his destiny. It knew only the 4 letters; it knew love, then it knew Jack.

I have to respectfully disagree with you orangetruck. Ennis was content with being alone when Cassie came alone. There are many lonesome cowboys that he did not need a cover. He already had Alma and the two girls. As far as people in Riverton is concerned, Ennis was a divorced Dad, a straight man. Ennis did not need a cover. However, having said that, it would be queer for Ennis to ignore or reject an advance as aggressive as Cassie's. He basically had to go along with it, and I am sure his rubber arm was twisted enough to make him go along. Let's face, gay or not, Cassie was one fun gal to be around. Ennis wasn't stupid. He knew a good thing when he saw one. The issue with Cassie was that she loved Ennis. She doubtlessly told Ennis enough times that she wanted to spend more time with him. After the last meeting with Jack, Ennis had to make a choice, continuing seeing Cassie, or do something to see more of Jack. It was an easy choice.

Cassie was not so much a lesson for Ennis, although we can say that every person in our lives is potentially a lesson. Cassie's parting shot, "Girls don't fall in love with fun." was a wakeup call to Ennis, that he was loved. It was a wakeup call to the man who shut out love, that having fun together on the mountain was not love. Love was being together, never enough time, can't quit you.

I agree with you that Jack was indeed Ennis' destiny. But Cassie was a guide, an angel along the way. She sought him out; she asserted herself into his life. He did not need or want a cover. He was content with his loneliness until his time with Jack two three times a year. He lived for those times together. Cassie was just a distraction in between. He had to put out a lot of strong signals to shake her off. If anything, getting involved with Cassie was a dangerous way to have himself outed, when he could not carry through with a regular relationship, commitment, marriage etc.

I hope you feel better. I have accepted this underlying sense of sorrow, or grief without end. Not a day go by when I feel the loss of Heath, the man who had so much to say through Ennis, and all the roles he played. Yes, Heath said that Ennis was gay, because he loved a man. But more importantly, Ennis and Jack was a story about two souls in love. The vassals that contained the two souls are beautiful but irrelevant in the final analysis. To focus on the vassals too much, is to discredit the love between the two souls. In my humble opinion, even if the vassals are two ugly heterosexual people, the love story would still be bigger than the sum of them. The fact that they are two beautiful cowboys in a society that regarded cowboys as the paragon of manliness, made the whole story perfect.
 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Mar 24, 2008, 02:20 AM
Hmmm, I agree with orangetruck in that I don't see Cassie as destiny for Ennis. Jack was Ennis' destiny and vice versa. Cassie was in many ways just a cover so that Ennis would appear "normal" to society. Although I do agree with you that she did love Ennis, but Ennis' heart already belonged to Jack, so he could never really love her back. The way I see it is that there was only one person Ennis could truly love, and that was Jack. Jack was the complete set of everything that a person had to embody in order to unlock the gates to Ennis' heart, and bring down that wall that Ennis had built around himself. As for when Ennis and Jack fell in love, it was that summer of '63 on Brokeback Mountain. And they realized it then. That's why when Ennis sees Jack four years later, the way his eyes light up, you can tell there hasn't been a day that's gone by in the past four years that he hasn't thought of Jack and how happy, free, alive, and loved Jack made him feel. That's why Jack goes back to ask Aguirre for work the following summer. It's why Ennis burst into tears and was so emotionally distraught on the day he said goodbye to Jack in August of '63. He had just let his true love drive away, and felt he couldn't do anything about it, because he felt imprisoned by society. These boys were destined to be together, and from the beginning they knew this was true love, but didn't know what they could do in such an oppressive society. Had they never met each other, neither would have never experienced true love, so perhaps they could have led somewhat happy lives, but I think there would always be something missing in their hearts. They might not have known what it was, but they would have felt it. But destiny brought them together, and they found what very few people ever find in this world. They found a love that was truly epic. The tragedy is, they were not able to always be together in this life like they were meant to.

I agree that Ennis and Jack are destined to be together. I already answered orangetruck with regard to Cassie.

I also mentioned that Ennis and Jack did not know what they experienced were true love in '63. It is why they both allowed each other to leave with such unsatisfactory good byes. Ennis helped Jack with his truck. Jack stole Ennis' shirt. They know how each of them felt towards the other, but they were NOT sure how the other felt towards himself. Ennis just sucker punched Jack, and they rode down the mountain wordlessly. If they knew that it was true love between them, neither of them would let go. Even in the reunion, when Ennis KNEW that Jack meant more to him than anything else in his life, he could not face up to the choice between life and love. Jack KNEW, and chose, each and every time he drove fourteen hours each way to meet Ennis.

Ennis, in my humble opinion, NEVER really believed that it was true love between him and Jack, until Cassie, and until finding the two shirts, the shirts that Jack kept for twenty years, hidden in the closet, literally and metaphorically. In his moment of grief, Ennis experienced the love that Jack kept in his heart of hearts, in his closet. Ennis KNEW in that moment in the closet, that he was loved, that he loved Jack.

The tragedy of the story, in my humble opinion, is that society for those two cowboys in '63, meant that they could not see true love even when it hit them over the head.

The hope, for me, from the story, is that society has changed over the half century, so that two cowboys can now live together in peace and love. Ennis would be proud.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 24, 2008, 03:27 AM
As far as people in Riverton is concerned, Ennis was a divorced Dad, a straight man. Ennis did not need a cover. However, having said that, it would be queer for Ennis to ignore or reject an advance as aggressive as Cassie's. He basically had to go along with it, and I am sure his rubber arm was twisted enough to make him go along. . .


I agree with you that Jack was indeed Ennis' destiny. But Cassie was a guide, an angel along the way. . .

I hope you feel better. I have accepted this underlying sense of sorrow, or grief without end. . . 

As I agree it doesn't need to be further dissected, I will only quote key points that might clarify just what we are supposedly disagreeing on.

As far as people in Riverton is concerned, Ennis was a divorced Dad, a straight man. Ennis did not need a cover. However, having said that, it would be queer for Ennis to ignore or reject an advance as aggressive as Cassie's. He basically had to go along with it, and I am sure his rubber arm was twisted enough to make him go along. . .

Ennis auto-pilot. You paint the subject at hand (was ennis gay?) into a small town known as Riverton. But given the topic of homosexuality, I am simply pulling up the roots of his sexuality. And this stems much further back then middle aged Ennis finding Cassie in the close minded Riverton, imo.

I agree with you that Jack was indeed Ennis' destiny. But Cassie was a guide, an angel along the way. . .

I feel this is what I was saying: Ennis hitched a ride with Cassie to the bigger picture (Jack) / While you call her an angel to guide him along the way. I think we can let clumsy terms of "destiny" and "cover" slide. While Cassie was necessary for the wake of Ennis' psyche, don't you think Ennis would have still found his way to the shirts? The nonverbal message, the metaphor of the shirts that Ennis finally got - what does that say? It says that yes, Jack LOVED Ennis, and that it began in their ultimate destiny... Brokeback Mountain. Cassie, although possessing unique qualities in Ennis' life, could have and would have been replaced by another blatant heterosexually mirrored example of Jack's love. I hope what I'm saying isn't terminating the value of her, because I certainly caught it the first time I watched the lonesome cafe scene.  :\'(

I hope you feel better. I have accepted this underlying sense of sorrow, or grief without end. . . 


I have to say you lost me there. I tend to rather keep my sentiments of Ennis in a more appropriate thread, as they're quite melancholic. But honestly, jumping into Brokeback Mountain hands on really does sort of equate a morose result. We all have either had our own Brokebacks or have come to fear/love in a relative way. There comes a point, and I'm sure we all know this, where our own perceptions of the film will bleed into the highly interpretable turns of the story, depending on just how we as individuals have loved. However, I will, if it's even applicable, agree to disagree here.

But I don't really see it.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Mar 24, 2008, 05:22 AM
I agree with everyone that this is indeed a beautiful post, with many amazing points describing the relationship in the movie that we all love.

I only have one thing to add, and that is Ennis' awareness of his own feelings. I believe, as Heath stated in one of his interviews, that Ennis was NOT aware of his own potential attraction to Jack until Jack came along. As you said, if Jack never came along, he would have continued in life not experiencing love, all clenched and closed up, trying to be a good husband to Alma, and father to his little girls. He may not be perfect at it, and he may never be happy with it, except as a parent to wonderful girls. But he would not be miserable as he was after the summer of '63 because he would not have the benchmark of true love to measure against a colorless life. Many people live life without experiencing true love, and lead happy enough lives with loved ones.

I totally agree that Ennis was NOT aware of his own potential attraction to Jack, yeah maybe he had sometimes noticed other guys but not enough to fully query himself, maybe he never did we don't know, but there was something about Jack that triggered these desires in Ennis and as much he tried to hold back he couldn't and that is why he entered the tent the second night, he wanted Jack no matter what but because of society and what he witnessed as a child this love had to stay on Brokeback Mountain. Wether this is labelled 'gay' I don't know, I only know that what they had was beautiful.
As for Cassie I have never really thought about her enough to comment.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Mar 24, 2008, 05:46 AM
I've always wondered, with Cassie boldness, her stepping right up to Ennis and taking him by the hand to that dance floor, was some kind of sign to us.  Let's see if a woman, a woman who's openly shows her attraction, who shows sexuality, who makes it clear that Ennis is who she wanted, can make him forget Jack.  As we see it didn't.  That last night he had with Jack brought us a  glimpse of how he felt, about any woman, "I don't know",  Cassie didn't have a chance.  Even in the ss it tells us Ennis didn't want the problems, the "un-name woman" seem to have, and it wasn't going anywhere any way.

Jack was it for him, his heart, his soul, no room for any one in his world.   

My take.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Mar 24, 2008, 05:52 AM
Here is a thread discussing Cassie
http://ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=384.0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 24, 2008, 06:04 AM
I've always wondered, with Cassie boldness, her stepping right up to Ennis and taking him by the hand to that dance floor, was some kind of sign to us.  Let's see if a woman, a woman who's openly shows her attraction, who shows sexuality, who makes it clear that Ennis is who she wanted, can make him forget Jack.  As we see it didn't.  That last night he had with Jack brought us a  glimpse of how he felt, about any woman, "I don't know",  Cassie didn't have a chance.  Even in the ss it tells us Ennis didn't want the problems, the "un-name woman" seem to have, and it wasn't going anywhere any way.

Jack was it for him, his heart, his soul, no room for any one in his world.   

My take.

I agree. I do, and that sorta leaves Cassie in the back of my mind indeed as more of a lesson or deeper understanding of Ennis' and Jack's love. "Girls don't fall in love with fun".. really I think more than one message lives there. Jack and Ennis continued their love affair which started on the mountain as "fun", and stretched over its entirely, into painful, maddening, desperate, suffocated, merely acknowledged, deadly and epic. And along the way, Cassie having been messenger with good timing, Ennis realized this depth, he got a glimpse of Jack's face screaming behind Cassie's at that cafe table...
Cassie being just a 'lesson' but also obviously hurting, must have only sealed the affirmation for Ennis. And Cassie may as well have gripped those 20 years the men had together and smashed them into his temple right there at the table, like a huge anvil, no?
 :-\\

And I hear what you're saying, Pauline, and thanks for the link. :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Mar 24, 2008, 06:19 AM
I agree. I do, and that sorta leaves Cassie in the back of my mind indeed as more of a lesson or deeper understanding of Ennis' and Jack's love. "Girls don't fall in love with fun".. really I think more than one message lives there. Jack and Ennis continued their love affair which started on the mountain as "fun", and stretched over its entirely, into painful, maddening, desperate, suffocated, merely acknowledged, deadly and epic. And along the way, Cassie having been messenger with good timing, Ennis realized this depth, he got a glimpse of Jack's face screaming behind Cassie's at that cafe table...
Cassie being just a 'lesson' but also obviously hurting, must have only sealed the affirmation for Ennis. And Cassie may as well have gripped those 20 years the men had together and smashed them into his temple right there at the table, like a huge anvil, no?
 :-\\

And I hear what you're saying, Pauline, and thanks for the link. :)

Oh yeah definitely, if this was a "wake up call" for Ennis I don't what else could you call it.  Ennis was travelling in bubble, unawares of what was really going on around him.  We see it, but he didn't pick it up. That look on his face after Cassie storms out was like another "huh".

Great point OT.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 24, 2008, 08:02 AM
I have already said a lot on this thread, so I won't add an more for now.  I just want to say that it is interesting to read the past few days' exchanges here...  Still a lot to think about, no matter how much we talk about this.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 24, 2008, 09:19 AM
I agree. I do, and that sorta leaves Cassie in the back of my mind indeed as more of a lesson or deeper understanding of Ennis' and Jack's love. "Girls don't fall in love with fun".. really I think more than one message lives there. Jack and Ennis continued their love affair which started on the mountain as "fun", and stretched over its entirely, into painful, maddening, desperate, suffocated, merely acknowledged, deadly and epic. And along the way, Cassie having been messenger with good timing, Ennis realized this depth, he got a glimpse of Jack's face screaming behind Cassie's at that cafe table...
Cassie being just a 'lesson' but also obviously hurting, must have only sealed the affirmation for Ennis. And Cassie may as well have gripped those 20 years the men had together and smashed them into his temple right there at the table, like a huge anvil, no?
 :-\\

And I hear what you're saying, Pauline, and thanks for the link. :)

Oh yes, I agree. Ennis didn't need a "lesson" from Cassie. By the time she came along, Ennis had been feeling so much emotional turmoil for years. He had already long since realized that what he felt for Jack and what Jack felt for him was true love. If he hadn't realized this, he wouldn't have lived those first four years without Jack feeling miserable. Not knowing if he would ever see Jack again, feeling trapped in a life with Alma that wasn't for him. Why did Ennis have that look of pure joy on his face when he saw Jack for the first time in four years? Because there hadn't been a single day that had gone by that he hadn't thought of him. Look at the way how Ennis suddenly transforms from a sullen, melancholy, loneliness to a joyful and exuberant every time he's about to go with Jack on one of their trips. He bounds down the stairs like he can't get there fast enough. It why he passionately kissed Jack at their first reunion. He loved Jack, and he didn't need anyone to tell him. He just felt he couldn't be with him because it would never be allowed. That's why he says "If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it." Nothing could ever make Ennis happier than to never be apart from the man he loves, but he felt there was nothing he could do about it. That scene with Cassie just reaffirms something that Ennis already knew. All those years he couldn't be with the man he loves and kept turning down that "sweet life" they could have had together, even thought it was what he wanted most in his life. Perhaps up until then, Ennis thought he was just protecting himself and Jack from what he felt would certainly happen to them. He felt miserable being apart from Jack, but he felt was the only way they could be safe.

But about Cassie, I have this to say. She has a very similar personality to Jack's. I admire her audacity about going after what she wants, and yes, she really did love Ennis, it's just that Ennis could never love her back. Cassie in a way does function as a cover for Ennis, because I do believe that after his divorce from Alma, there were rumors going around about him. I think Alma told Monroe about Ennis and Jack. When Ennis told Jack on of their trips that he thought people were staring at him like they knew, I don't think he was just being paranoid. I think people did suspect, but they had no proof. Alma, of course had proof, she'd seen it with her own eyes, but she had no visual evidence to show anyone, but people around town were suspecting the truth about Ennis. Of course, Ennis wanted to be alone in the town anyway, but Cassie really wouldn't let him. The way she comes up to him, I agree that he just has to go along with it, so in that sense, Ennis wasn't conciously choosing a cover, but once they started going out, she did indeed become his cover.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Mar 25, 2008, 12:54 AM
sorry fellas, guys and gals. I think we are re-visiting old discussions that will never end, because there will never be agreement between you and me. I simply don't see Ennis (early in the movie, before the diner scene) as someone with the conscious awareness to do and think and feel all that you all put onto him. Ennis was a man who went with his gut, and even in the motel, after the reunion kiss, etc, he felt that he was stuck. He loved being with Jack. That's not the same as knowing in his mind of being in love with Jack. He cared for, and protected Jack whenever they were together, but that's not the same (in his mind) as loving Jack. It was only in the diner, after Cassie said, "Girls don't fall in love with fun" that he became aware of the L word and how it applies to him and Jack. He realized at that moment that he loved Jack. That's when he hoped to meet in November and maybe patch things up. When Jack died, his hope was dashed and he felt lost, unloved. When he found the two shirts, he realized that he WAS loved, that he lost twenty years of loving because he cared more about what society thought, than what the two of them had. That's what went through Ennis' mind in that split second, as Heath's facial expression went from sorrow and sadness to shock, to grief, to utter heartbreak. There is no telling the time elapsed between that moment and when Ennis went down the stairs. Whatever the time measured in seconds, it was a lifetime of transformation.

Ennis went from a closeted gay cowboy with little self-awareness to a man who accepted his destiny, tragic and all, living a life examined and measured and with cherished memories.

Once Ennis became aware of the love between him and Jack, there was no turning back. He could never be with another person, Cassie or Randall, woman or man. That's the true love of the story.

I agree that at no point in the movie was it possible for Ennis and Cassie to be together. As I said earlier, Cassie had no chance because Ennis already gave his heart to Jack, from SNIT onwards. Even though he was not aware of it, it was obvious from the hesitation outside of the tent, to the utter breakdown of his psychological walls in Jack's embrace. That's why he was so sick at the end of the summer. A part of his heart drove off leaving him literally in the dust. Feeling and knowing are two different states of mind. Ennis felt Jack, but he didn't know what it meant, this thing with no reins.

However, if Ennis NEVER met Jack, then he might have tried to make it work with Cassie, after his divorce with Alma. They may even live happily for a while. But I agree that they are not destined to be lovers as Ennis and Jack were. Cassie was destined to be Ennis' friend, guiding angel, to teach him about love. That's what I meant about destiny, not true love, but connection in life. Destiny can mean more than true love.

In any case, we can agree to disagree. We don't have to agree to love the same movie, especially one as great as Brokeback Mountain, which is so rich with meaning that we can love it differently.

Viva la difference.

Please excuse me if I don't continue in disagree.  :ghug: :^^) :c)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Mar 25, 2008, 01:04 AM
Ennis went from a closeted gay cowboy with little self-awareness to a man who accepted his destiny, tragic and all, living a life examined and measured and with cherished memories.

Once Ennis became aware of the love between him and Jack, there was no turning back. He could never be with another person, Cassie or Randall, woman or man. That's the true love of the story.

 Feeling and knowing are two different states of mind. Ennis felt Jack, but he didn't know what it meant, this thing with no reins.

However, if Ennis NEVER met Jack, then he might have tried to make it work with Cassie, after his divorce with Alma. They may even live happily for a while. But I agree that they are not destined to be lovers as Ennis and Jack were. Cassie was destined to be Ennis' friend, guiding angel, to teach him about love. That's what I meant about destiny, not true love, but connection in life. Destiny can mean more than true love.


I have quoted the parts I totally agree with.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 25, 2008, 02:19 AM
Lance, I believe you have an amazing time reading between the lines of others and finding that, despite our different means of technical terms, we're seeing Ennis the same.
As feeling and knowing are different, we can all easily distinguish Ennis' relationship with Jack from that of him and Cassie. And then I'm left to wonder, in your opinion, on which relationship would you more logically base Ennis' sexuality? Cassie was a crucial part of the story, but I think another woman would have come into Ennis' monotonous life. Mind you, Cassie's timing did cause Ennis to send the postcard to meet Jack, which led him to receive that stunning "Deceased" return notice, which led him to Jack's folks' in Lightening Flat and so on. I would just like to pose the question:

Minus Cassie, would Ennis have eventually picked up the message through another "fun, easily attached" gal and, given the less prompt attraction to the elder Twists' home, still come across the shirts and the bloody message up the sleeve that says "Ennis I love you"?

Cassie did not come from the Mountain, those other two souls did. She had a place in the story, but I find it best not to iconize her into the final image in the trailer, imo. Ennis' sexuality I would say was, in retrospect, indeed jaded by the initial meshing of his and Jack's souls. However, the irrigation ditch discussion on the mountain was key to many things including Ennis' fear of being gay and ultimately, his fear of who he was. Everything happening on that mountain was in the end, everything. That is why when we see the shirts and postcard hiding as a closet door shuts, it is our necks caught in that door - and the open swaying field of grass outside the window kills us as it stretches over every feeling of the film.

But if I could hug Cassie for cramming sense down Ennis' throat, I would.  ^f^

Sorry if I too have pulled this thread way out of bounds, but I do appreciate the stimulation in the exchange of thoughts from others like you who also seem to have a deep disposition to the film.  :cr)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Mar 25, 2008, 03:16 AM
Lance, I believe you have an amazing time reading between the lines of others and finding that, despite our different means of technical terms, we're seeing Ennis the same.

Everything happening on that mountain was in the end, everything. That is why when we see the shirts and postcard hiding as a closet door shuts, it is our necks caught in that door, and the open swaying field of grass outside the window kills us as it stretches over every feeling of the film.

But if I could hug Cassie for cramming sense down Ennis' throught, I would.  ^f^

Sorry if I too have pulled this thread way out of bounds, but I do appreciate the stimulation in the exchange of thoughts from others like you who also seem to have a deep disposition to the film.  :cr)
Not at all, I feel we need these extra inputs to attempt to work it all out, our necks caught in that door etc wowthat made me tear up just at the thought of the final scene.
Such a confusing topic that any discussion is worthwhile imo. We might seem like we are going around in circles with the question 'Was Ennis Gay' but I do like this discussion and the inputs.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 25, 2008, 09:02 AM
Not at all, I feel we need these extra inputs to attempt to work it all out, our necks caught in that door etc wowthat made me tear up just at the thought of the final scene.
Such a confusing topic that any discussion is worthwhile imo. We might seem like we are going around in circles with the question 'Was Ennis Gay' but I do like this discussion and the inputs.

The bottom line is that I think Ennis knew he was gay before he met Jack, but had he never met Jack, he would have most likely never had a romantic relationship with another man. When Ennis says he's stuck with what he's got, I believe he's talking about his marriage to Alma and the circumstances of society that would never allow Jack and Ennis to be free and live their lives together the way they both wanted. As for feeling and knowing...they can be closely tied. He felt Jack, but he also knew this was true love he was feeling for this man and this man also felt the same for him. He wouldn't have brought up the story of Earl and Rich if he didn't think there was some comparison. I believe Ennis's horrific memory of that incident was one of the most crucial things in this entire saga. It's what explains so much about him and why he didn't listen to Jack. It's what makes us understand his decisions and what makes the tragedy complete when at the end, if he could do it all over again, Ennis would have done what he knew was right, what his heart was telling him, he wouldn't have let his fear of society keep him and Jack miserable prisoners all those years. As for "going with his gut", or listening to one's heart, if Ennis had fully listened to his feelings, he would have listened to Jack. But his head was telling him to be afraid because society was cruel, it would kill him and Jack, so he couldn't listen to his heart. Jack is more of the one that listens to his heart no matter what. Ultimately, Ennis is the classic "still waters run deep". Underneath that stoic demeanor is a sea of roiling emotion. His quiet and seemingly aloof facade was the wall he'd built around himself that shieldied him off from the world. Behind that wall, Ennis was "drowning in sorrow" because he couldn't be with Jack all those years. After Jack dies, Ennis is completely heartbroken, but will go on in this life, this time with no wall. That wall that Jack tore down every time he was with Ennis, but Ennis put up again when he was around everyone else because that's how he dealt with the rest of the world, was finally gone for good.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 25, 2008, 03:14 PM
If it's out of place to post an image here, I'll certainly understand - But for the sake of Cassie, and the opaque dynamic of sexuality and soulmates (I know there's more I'd like to say, so further discussion is anticipated):

(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi81.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj237%2Fchristiegwood%2FBrokeback%2520Mountain%2Fbrokebackmtn_3518.jpg&hash=7470aca0d1f25063b27f7958d530962f44a61919)

What she said, really knocked him in the heart. You can see it all over his face. When Cassie mentioned love, Ennis could put 2 and 2 together that he indeed loved Jack and couldn't keep his sexuality separate from this result. It all is one. Although their friendship was brilliant, he could no longer deny that it was not only more, it was everything. - this man loves Jack. And there Ennis was at the table, too lonesome to move out of a corner and only able to sit trapped, pissed on and slapped in the face really hard.

     In a sense I think kid Ennis understood that it was love that had drawn Earl to the other man; hadn't kid Ennis presumably never heard the word "love" growing up? This is where I find it fascinating if not tricky, and where I draw the line between feeling and knowing. Ennis damn well felt that thing which had been absent his life prior to Jack. He loved Jack! And until he had to hear it, until he had to be told (or otherwise forced) that he loved this other man, he could at least fool himself -- his heart could at least cheat its way to Jack a couple times a year. But now that he knew no escape route, he wasn't about to choose a life apart from Jack; when the word finally does come slamming into the side of his head, it is an awful catch 22. He's stunned, absolute victim to his now intolerant heart and although he's frozen for a moment, he turns to run from the blow of his past and into his future with the man whose soul he fell in love with 20 years back. Only.... that soul had already progressed.  :\'(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Mar 25, 2008, 04:20 PM
The bottom line is that I think Ennis knew he was gay before he met Jack, but had he never met Jack, he would have most likely never had a romantic relationship with another man. When Ennis says he's stuck with what he's got, I believe he's talking about his marriage to Alma and the circumstances of society that would never allow Jack and Ennis to be free and live their lives together the way they both wanted.
I think the word 'knew' is too strong, had an idea maybe but never actually thought much about it.
I agree that stuck with what he's got was definitely about his marriage to Alma and society's beliefs.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Mar 25, 2008, 04:22 PM
I think the word 'knew' is too strong, had an idea maybe but never actually thought much about it.
I agree that stuck with what he's got was definitely about his marriage to Alma and society's beliefs.
hmm i agree with you here he may of knew if he thought about it be i think ennis just assumed he was straight because it was expected i dont think he really thought much about being gay maybe if he had he would have realised but... as it stands i think jack was when he realised but maybe im wrong but that is just my theory
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 25, 2008, 07:54 PM
hmm i agree with you here he may of knew if he thought about it be i think ennis just assumed he was straight because it was expected i dont think he really thought much about being gay maybe if he had he would have realised but... as it stands i think jack was when he realised but maybe im wrong but that is just my theory

Well, I think he at least knew he was different. But of course, had he never met Jack, he would have just lived the life that was expected of him and never really experienced true love. He realized that his love for Jack was exactly what his father and society vehemently hated, that's why he tells the story of Earl and Rich.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Mar 25, 2008, 08:00 PM
Well, I think he at least knew he was different. But of course, had he never met Jack, he would have just lived the life that was expected of him and never really experienced true love. He realized that his love for Jack was exactly what his father and society vehemently hated, that's why he tells the story of Earl and Rich.

very true
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Mar 25, 2008, 08:26 PM
I sometimes think Ennis was asexual before Jack, and I say this in a sense of not being sexual, no sexuality prior to him meeting Jack, there was no true desire, curiosity, and I bet he never talked openly about such things till Jack,  and with Jack he admitted to his own virginity.

But there was an innocence about Ennis, and there was desire in Ennis that emerged with Jack.  

I know this may sound silly to some of you.  But those years before Jack, who was Ennis?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Mar 25, 2008, 08:29 PM
I sometimes think Ennis was asexual before Jack, and I say this in a sense of not being sexual, no sexuality prior to him meeting Jack, there was no true desire, curiosity, and I bet he never talked openly about such things till Jack,  and with Jack he admitted to his own virginity.

But there was an innocence about Ennis, and there was desire in Ennis that emerged with Jack.  

I know this may sound silly to some of you.  But those years before Jack, who was Ennis?

good point we know he was a virgin and was a pretty innocent guy so... maybe he was just laking  a sexuality altogether all the though t doesnt seem likely IMO
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 26, 2008, 07:12 AM
I sometimes think Ennis was asexual before Jack, and I say this in a sense of not being sexual, no sexuality prior to him meeting Jack, there was no true desire, curiosity, and I bet he never talked openly about such things till Jack,  and with Jack he admitted to his own virginity.

But there was an innocence about Ennis, and there was desire in Ennis that emerged with Jack.  

I know this may sound silly to some of you.  But those years before Jack, who was Ennis?

I suspect that what kept him from exploring sex prior to his meeting Jack was because he was inwardly confused about himself.  I suspect that he found himself attracted to guys, and couldn't make sense of it.  Isn't this typical with many people?  In the case of Ennis, he was an unusually late bloomer...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 26, 2008, 07:17 AM
I suspect that what kept him from exploring sex prior to his meeting Jack was because he was inwardly confused about himself.  I suspect that he found himself attracted to guys, and couldn't make sense of it.  Isn't this typical with many people?   In the case of Ennis, he was an unusually late bloomer...



Nice concept, manhattan, I like.

 -- I would even call it irritatingly typical, no offense to anyone..
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 26, 2008, 07:18 AM
-- I would even call it irritatingly typical, no offense to anyone..

One has to be patient.  :)

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 26, 2008, 07:32 AM
One has to be patient.  :)



Behind the pretext of friendship, love or similarly valued connection, yes one certainly does; these sorts of things can be greatly challenged though, depending not just on patience but also on tolerance for abuse; this equilibrium can be a black trick to maintain.
Again I'm trailing  *o) and into the realms of personal experience which is the avenue that led me to this gem of a film.  :-\\

About Ennis' sexuality -- I can't help but wonder when his hormones started developing. Presumably it wasn't long before the traumatization at age 9. Likewise, that would seem about the worst possible time in a boy's life to experience such a conjunction of confusion and torment? Kids have a trillion thoughts and feelings swarming in their minds, don't they? This thing at 9 must have even robbed him of his imagination and free spirit however apparent, and much moreso than that thing he had with Jack ever would.. thoughts are bouncing off each other now and I'm going crosseyed.  (^)
 ;D
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 26, 2008, 07:37 AM
Behind the pretext of friendship, love or similarly valued connection, yes one certainly does; these sorts of things can be greatly challenged though, depending not just on patience but also on tolerance for abuse; this equilibrium can be a black trick to maintain.
Again I'm trailing  *o) and into the realms of personal experience which is the avenue that led me to this gem of a film.  :-\\

About Ennis' sexuality -- I can't help but wonder when his hormones started developing. Presumably it wasn't long before the traumatization at age 9. Likewise, that would seem about the worst possible time in a boy's life to experience such a conjunction of confusion and torment? Kids have a trillion thoughts and feelings swarming in their minds, don't they? This thing at 9 must have even robbed him of his imagination and free spirit however apparent, and much moreso than that thing he had with Jack ever would.. thoughts are bouncing off each other now and I'm going crosseyed.  (^)
 ;D

This brings up a question: did the 9 year-old Ennis understand the "sin" of Earl and Rich.  Or did a better understanding come a bit later, when he started understanding his own sexuality a bit more?

In any case, both the trauma and the awakening of sexual desire and identity were both formative.  It coalesced into something that became deeply conflicted, masked under the veil of stoicism.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 26, 2008, 07:58 AM
This brings up a question: did the 9 year-old Ennis understand the "sin" of Earl and Rich.  Or did a better understanding come a bit later, when he started understanding his own sexuality a bit more?

In any case, both the trauma and the awakening of sexual desire and identity were both formative.  It coalesced into something that became deeply conflicted, masked under the veil of stoicism.



This is a very intriguing point, one I ponder often. Personally, I was attracted mentally and physically (I think we can figure the proof of that.. ::) ) to the human male when I was around 4 or 5 years old.
The simple fact that we aren't given the details of Ennis' puberty, I'm not sure exactly how to address his psyche. But what teeters in my mind is whether or not he understood Earl and his man "loved" each other. That's another highly discussed issue here. However, and even though Ennis hadn't really felt love growing up, he may have been under the impression that families or even households were units of love. So Ennis may or may not have understood the sexual element of Earl's relationship; similarly goes the idea of love between them. But I do lean towards Ennis having made the latter correlation, and maybe he spent 31 years not shaking hands with but dancing around love's replica with Jack.
All in all I'm left in awe of kid Ennis, and the secrets of memory (at an early age moreso)
 :s)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Mar 26, 2008, 09:33 AM
This is a very intriguing point, one I ponder often. Personally, I was attracted mentally and physically (I think we can figure the proof of that.. ::) ) to the human male when I was around 4 or 5 years old.
The simple fact that we aren't given the details of Ennis' puberty, I'm not sure exactly how to address his psyche. But what teeters in my mind is whether or not he understood Earl and his man "loved" each other. That's another highly discussed issue here. However, and even though Ennis hadn't really felt love growing up, he may have been under the impression that families or even households were units of love. So Ennis may or may not have understood the sexual element of Earl's relationship; similarly goes the idea of love between them. But I do lean towards Ennis having made the latter correlation, and maybe he spent 31 years not shaking hands with but dancing around love's replica with Jack.
All in all I'm left in awe of kid Ennis, and the secrets of memory (at an early age moreso)
 :s)

intresting point  :s)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 26, 2008, 10:14 AM
This is a very intriguing point, one I ponder often. Personally, I was attracted mentally and physically (I think we can figure the proof of that.. ::) ) to the human male when I was around 4 or 5 years old.
The simple fact that we aren't given the details of Ennis' puberty, I'm not sure exactly how to address his psyche. But what teeters in my mind is whether or not he understood Earl and his man "loved" each other. That's another highly discussed issue here. However, and even though Ennis hadn't really felt love growing up, he may have been under the impression that families or even households were units of love. So Ennis may or may not have understood the sexual element of Earl's relationship; similarly goes the idea of love between them. But I do lean towards Ennis having made the latter correlation, and maybe he spent 31 years not shaking hands with but dancing around love's replica with Jack.
All in all I'm left in awe of kid Ennis, and the secrets of memory (at an early age moreso)
 :s)

I do believe who we are attracted to is something we just know at a young age. Before we have any knowledge of anything romantic or sexual, we just feel some attraction. I remember my first crush was on a boy in first grade. That's why I believe sexuality isn't really something we consciously choose. I think just like most people, both Ennis and Jack just felt attraction at such early ages. Perhaps that's why Ennis's father made it a point to show the dead Earl to Ennis. Perhaps his father suspected something about him. Perhaps from an early age, Ennis was already not what his father wanted him to be. The nine-year old Ennis wouldn't understand romance or sexuality of course, but that attraction element, like you said, you were only four or five when you knew. I was only five or six when I knew I was straight. We all have those attractions that we can't make sense of when we're young children. That's why people need to be accepting of homosexuality. It's not something that a person chooses, it's just the way they are. People should just be free to be the person they truly love, and people should be free to just be who they are, not be imprisoned and be forced to pretend to be something they aren't just to please others and because it's what society expects of them.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 27, 2008, 08:09 AM


I am attracted to the phrase: "the secrets of memory."  This is very Proustian, IMO.

I do feel that the key to unlock Ennis's identity and sexuality is in his growing up in puberty.  As this was never really fleshed out, we shall never really know...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Mar 27, 2008, 08:11 AM

I am attracted to the phrase: "the secrets of memory."  This is very Proustian, IMO.

I do feel that the key to unlock Ennis's identity and sexuality is in his growing up in puberty.  As this was never really fleshed out, we shall never really know...



i agree i think ennis' homosexuality had developed at puberty but he didnt realise he was so into doing what was expected i dont think he realised this fact until he met jack...IMO
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 27, 2008, 08:16 AM
i agree i think ennis' homosexuality had developed at puberty but he didnt realise he was so into doing what was expected i dont think he realised this fact until he met jack...IMO

I go back and forth on this.  Looking back at my own personal experience, it is hard for me to say that he didn't know, although it is understandable that he was in denial for some time...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Mar 27, 2008, 11:44 AM
I think his perception of homosexuality and,in some extent,of sexuality was corrupted for the image he had of it from a very young age,when precisely his sexual life was awakening.As I say today in another thread,he felt attracted and rejected at the same time for it,because he felt into himself a contradiction:that society forbade this but that it couldn't be so bad because it was founded in feelings(not only in vice,as his father had taught him).And the atrraction´s side of this contradiction made him know that there was something "different" also inside him; the question of the denial is this,another question...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Mar 27, 2008, 03:01 PM
i agree i think ennis' homosexuality had developed at puberty but he didnt realise he was so into doing what was expected i dont think he realised this fact until he met jack...IMO
I go back and forth on this.  Looking back at my own personal experience, it is hard for me to say that he didn't know, although it is understandable that he was in denial for some time...


Denial was there even if he'd never consciously realised it but he sure didn't hesitate for long when the time came.  ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Mar 27, 2008, 03:45 PM
 I have said before that I feel Ennis repressed his feelings of homosexuality from a young age, but I believe he had them. I've also said that he was robbed of the ability to be who he truly was by his father's beliefs about it. Basically he was  literally "scared straight" by his father's showing him a mutilated corpse and what happens to men who have these tendencies in any way.

I feel his experiences on Brokeback, allowed him to let the feelings surface again with Jack. His father was dead and he now felt *safe* as long as no one off the isolated *safe harbour* of Brokeback found out. Jack said all they had left was Brokeback Mt. in the confrontation scene at the end meaning imo that Ennis could'nt let go of that isolated , safe environment, where he was free to be who he truly was.

I feel he identified in some manner with Earl and Rich as people were talking and gossiping about them in the town. Ennis heard this talk and saw himself and possibilities of attraction to same sex relationships. He relayed his memories to Jack as if this was something he had carried with him for many years, as if it happened yesterday. It is the reason he offered for not ranching up with him for fear of the same fate as these two "old birds" who long ago dared to buck society and live as two men in love. We will never know if Ennis straight or gay, but we do know he was human and capable of feeling true love for another man, Jack. My opinion.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 27, 2008, 04:10 PM
I have said before that I feel Ennis repressed his feelings of homosexuality from a young age, but I believe he had them. I've also said that he was robbed of the ability to be who he truly was by his father's beliefs about it. Basically he was  literally "scared straight" by his father's showing him a mutilated corpse and what happens to men who have these tendencies in any way.

I feel his experiences on Brokeback, allowed him to let the feelings surface again with Jack. His father was dead and he now felt *safe* as long as no one off the isolated *safe harbour* of Brokeback found out. Jack said all they had left was Brokeback Mt. in the confrontation scene at the end meaning imo that Ennis could'nt let go of that isolated , safe environment, where he was free to be who he truly was.

I feel he identified in some manner with Earl and Rich as people were talking and gossiping about them in the town. Ennis heard this talk and saw himself and possibilities of attraction to same sex relationships. He relayed his memories to Jack as if this was something he had carried with him for many years, as if it happened yesterday. It is the reason he offered for not ranching up with him for fear of the same fate as these two "old birds" who long ago dared to buck society and live as two men in love. We will never know if Ennis straight or gay, but we do know he was human and capable of feeling true love for another man, Jack. My opinion.

I simply agree with just about all of this, other than the presumption that his sexuality is unknown; I think it was hidden at most, and that it was homosexuality.
:)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 28, 2008, 12:46 AM
I simply agree with just about all of this, other than the presumption that his sexuality is unknown; I think it was hidden at most, and that it was homosexuality.
:)

I agree. It was hidden because of the conditioning and fear his father and society had instilled in him. When Jack came along...Ennis could no longer keep it hidden, for he had found true love. His heart had indeed taken over.  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Mar 28, 2008, 01:09 AM
I know I said that I am not getting into an argument.

But I can't resist jumping back in to stir up the water a bit.

Here is a question for you all.

Was Ennis gay in his pre-teen years, when all he felt was yearning for friendship and companionship?

Some people have sexual feelings early, and know for certain that they are attracted to others of their same gender.

Some people don't develop sexual feelings, or perhaps repressed them to the point of non-existence, but nonetheless, have strong yearnings for the friendships and companionships that usually come with a sexual relationship, a true love relationship, or as recently posted, a bromance relationship.

In my humble opinion, Ennis is of the latter variety. His yearning for friendship, to chase away the loneliness, was so strong that, compound with the traumatic impact of the Earl scene, made him felt indelibly that he was gay when he was not, and so he repressed it and made himself think that he ain't queer. In fact, homophobia is a possible sign of feelings repressed, and in some cases, leading to feelings engendered when non existed previously. In the case with Ennis, once there was friendship with Jack over the weeks, and then Jack made the advances in FNIT, he was faced with the dilemma of enjoying and liking Jack with strong feelings, and fearing the repercussions of being gay.  I agree that by SNIT, when he thought about it by the fire, and stood up, both hands on his knees, hat in hand, to the tent, Ennis accept his feelings towards Jack. And in the shortstory, by the reunion scene in the motel, Ennis knew he had strong feelings for Jack, hundreds of times.

My question is again, whether the kid Ennis (as someone put it), the pre-teen Ennis, had clear conscious or otherwise, sexual feelings towards other men.

My own response will likely be unpopular but, hey, who wants to be popular anyway.  :8

And in case anyone missed it, I agree that by SNIT, Ennis accepted his attraction to Jack. I doubt he will ever accept his attraction to other men, when in fact he has succeeded to repress it to the point of non-existence. It is why Jack needs to go to Mexico, and Ennis is content with beans...hmmm...I meant, memories of Brokeback Mountain.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Mar 28, 2008, 04:41 AM
Some people don't develop sexual feelings, or perhaps repressed them to the point of non-existence, but nonetheless, have strong yearnings for the friendships and companionships that usually come with a sexual relationship, a true love relationship, or as recently posted, a bromance relationship.

In my humble opinion, Ennis is of the latter variety. His yearning for friendship, to chase away the loneliness, was so strong that, compound with the traumatic impact of the Earl scene, made him felt indelibly that he was gay when he was not, and so he repressed it and made himself think that he ain't queer.
My question is again, whether the kid Ennis (as someone put it), the pre-teen Ennis, had clear conscious or otherwise, sexual feelings towards other men.

And in case anyone missed it, I agree that by SNIT, Ennis accepted his attraction to Jack. I doubt he will ever accept his attraction to other men, when in fact he has succeeded to repress it to the point of non-existence. It is why Jack needs to go to Mexico, and Ennis is content with beans...hmmm...I meant, memories of Brokeback Mountain.

Not unpopular at all. This is probably the closest to what I have been trying to say but I find it difficult coming up with the right words. I know exactly what you mean with all this, thankyou.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Mar 28, 2008, 06:00 AM
I know I said that I am not getting into an argument.

But I can't resist jumping back in to stir up the water a bit.

Here is a question for you all.

Was Ennis gay in his pre-teen years, when all he felt was yearning for friendship and companionship?

Some people have sexual feelings early, and know for certain that they are attracted to others of their same gender.

Some people don't develop sexual feelings, or perhaps repressed them to the point of non-existence, but nonetheless, have strong yearnings for the friendships and companionships that usually come with a sexual relationship, a true love relationship, or as recently posted, a bromance relationship.

In my humble opinion, Ennis is of the latter variety. His yearning for friendship, to chase away the loneliness, was so strong that, compound with the traumatic impact of the Earl scene, made him felt indelibly that he was gay when he was not, and so he repressed it and made himself think that he ain't queer. In fact, homophobia is a possible sign of feelings repressed, and in some cases, leading to feelings engendered when non existed previously. In the case with Ennis, once there was friendship with Jack over the weeks, and then Jack made the advances in FNIT, he was faced with the dilemma of enjoying and liking Jack with strong feelings, and fearing the repercussions of being gay.  I agree that by SNIT, when he thought about it by the fire, and stood up, both hands on his knees, hat in hand, to the tent, Ennis accept his feelings towards Jack. And in the shortstory, by the reunion scene in the motel, Ennis knew he had strong feelings for Jack, hundreds of times.

My question is again, whether the kid Ennis (as someone put it), the pre-teen Ennis, had clear conscious or otherwise, sexual feelings towards other men.

My own response will likely be unpopular but, hey, who wants to be popular anyway.  :8

And in case anyone missed it, I agree that by SNIT, Ennis accepted his attraction to Jack. I doubt he will ever accept his attraction to other men, when in fact he has succeeded to repress it to the point of non-existence. It is why Jack needs to go to Mexico, and Ennis is content with beans...hmmm...I meant, memories of Brokeback Mountain.




Are you saying he scarified his heterosexual tendencies,  for friendship?     
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 28, 2008, 06:47 AM
I know I said that I am not getting into an argument.

But I can't resist jumping back in to stir up the water a bit.

Here is a question for you all.

Was Ennis gay in his pre-teen years, when all he felt was yearning for friendship and companionship?


And in case anyone missed it, I agree that by SNIT, Ennis accepted his attraction to Jack. I doubt he will ever accept his attraction to other men, when in fact he has succeeded to repress it to the point of non-existence. It is why Jack needs to go to Mexico, and Ennis is content with beans...hmmm...I meant, memories of Brokeback Mountain.




I think the water here is a continuous whirlpool better known as discussion or debate, rather than... well anyway.
Sexuality aside, most kids in lonely or abusive situations with family, will seek out companionship often on a deep or "true" level. Given Ennis' blatant less than zen at-home sichiation described in both the SS and film, he could have always used a friend. This issue is a pivotable door giving way to the logic of any sexuality and doesn't really magnify the study of kid Ennis' sexual nature. -- that would be about as productive a thesis as Oprah Winfrey wearing sky blue contacts to get in touch with her Caucasian roots.

It seems mostly unanimous however, that pre-teen Ennis' puberty and sexuality weren't certainly delivered in the story, and of course we're all going to put our own puzzle pieces together. I find it likely that as a kid, Ennis was gay and had been born this way. It gives a sharper significance to the last scene in Brokeback Mountain, when Ennis faces the postcard and shirts and feels the loss of sanctity -- the security of self, freedom and love.

When Ennis is lead down to see Earl, he is so affectively robbed of ever being able to reach his full potential. The ability to be who he is (I am embedding the idea that his homosexuality was put before the dickless dead old man scene, yes) was handicapped when he saw Earl. The poignance of Brokeback Mountain was that it was indeed safe; alright to continue where he'd been left off post-Earl; safe to let all his feelings towards Jack circulate unhindered.

I believe Ennis' perception of the Earl scene is that it had BROKEN him and he was "scared straight." But on Brokeback he wasn't submissive to Earl. He left Alma, the metal teeth of society's irrigation ditch; he couldn't "leave" Brokeback for good though. It's the only place he felt wholesome; Earl was quite a detour, but it was the only road Ennis knew. He even brought suvenirs of his love on Brokeback, back into his closet -- Talk about an epic roundtrip starting at childhood...

Ennis with his dad's hand on his shoulder, is guided straight ahead. Then he's abruptly turned to see a dead man in a ditch whose dick was pulled off for having been with another man. Ennis and Jack went to Brokeback, they had sex and fell (felt)in love, but then Ennis' fear of a dead man brought him back to square one, the closet. -- this is where only the memory of Jack was left to hang.
Essentially he traveled down the same path twice. He was born gay and was shown it was wrong. It's no wonder he turned into a stoic, a drifter, going down the only road he knew. Stopping on Brokeback so far away, where he couldn't fix the image of Earl but could stand it.

In short, I feel that Earl had done a number as for taking away from Ennis, rather than instilling a supposed homosexuality; the trauma was that Ennis was broken and simply couldn't be fixed. And Jack was the reflection of how Ennis was born to love. And that was without reins.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Mar 28, 2008, 06:58 AM
I think the water here is a continuous whirlpool better known as discussion or debate, rather than... well anyway.
Sexuality aside, most kids in lonely or abusive situations with family, will seek out companionship often on a deep or "true" level. Given Ennis' blatant less than zen at-home sichiation described in both the SS and film, he could have always used a friend. This issue is a pivotable door giving way to the logic of any sexuality and doesn't really magnify the study of kid Ennis' sexual nature. -- that would be about as productive a thesis as Oprah Winfrey wearing sky blue contacts to get in touch with her Caucasian roots.It seems mostly unanimous however, that pre-teen Ennis' puberty and sexuality weren't certainly delivered in the story, and of course we're all going to put our own puzzle pieces together. I find it likely that as a kid, Ennis was gay and had been born this way. It gives a sharper significance to the last scene in Brokeback Mountain, when Ennis faces the postcard and shirts and feels the loss of sanctity -- the security of self, freedom and love.
When Ennis is lead down to see Earl, he is so affectively robbed of ever being able to reach his full potential. The ability to be who he is (I am embedding the idea that his homosexuality was put before the dickless dead old man scene, yes) was handicapped when he saw Earl. The poignance of Brokeback Mountain was that it was indeed safe; alright to continue where he'd been left off post-Earl; safe to let all his feelings towards Jack circulate unhindered.

I believe Ennis' perception of the Earl scene is that it had BROKEN him and he was "scared straight." But on Brokeback he wasn't submissive to Earl. He left Alma, the metal teeth of society's irrigation ditch; he couldn't "leave" Brokeback for good though. It's the only place he felt wholesome; Earl was quite a detour, but it was the only road Ennis knew. He even brought suvenirs of his love on Brokeback, back into his closet -- Talk about an epic roundtrip starting at childhood...

Ennis with his dad's hand on his shoulder, is guided straight ahead. Then he's abruptly turned to see a dead man in a ditch whose dick was pulled off for having been with another man. Ennis and Jack went to Brokeback, they had sex and fell (felt)in love, but then Ennis' fear of a dead man brought him back to square one, the closet. -- this is where only the memory of Jack was left to hang.
Essentially he traveled down the same path twice. He was born gay and was shown it was wrong. It's no wonder he turned into a stoic, a drifter, going down the only road he knew. Stopping on Brokeback so far away, where he couldn't fix the image of Earl but could stand it.

In short, I feel that Earl had done a number as for taking away from Ennis, rather than instilling a supposed homosexuality; the trauma was that Ennis was broken and simply couldn't be fixed. And Jack was the reflection of how Ennis was born to love. And that was without reins.

I love this.   Thanks OT. This is always been my view.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 28, 2008, 07:06 AM
I love this.   Thanks OT. This is always been my view.

My pleasure. It felt good to get off my chest in this fashion. It secures my appreciation for everyone's contribution to the thread. The stir of ideas keeps us fine tuned, ya?  :cr)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 28, 2008, 07:38 AM
I think his perception of homosexuality and,in some extent,of sexuality was corrupted for the image he had of it from a very young age,when precisely his sexual life was awakening.As I say today in another thread,he felt attracted and rejected at the same time for it,because he felt into himself a contradiction:that society forbade this but that it couldn't be so bad because it was founded in feelings(not only in vice,as his father had taught him).And the atrraction´s side of this contradiction made him know that there was something "different" also inside him; the question of the denial is this,another question...

Yes, perhaps one could call it social/behavioral pre-conditioning?

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 28, 2008, 07:40 AM
Denial was there even if he'd never consciously realised it but he sure didn't hesitate for long when the time came.  ;)

Yes.  And you bring up a good point: denial does not mean an inability to act on one's desires.  I have known many men who made elaborate justifications to explain their actions...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 28, 2008, 07:42 AM
***
I feel his experiences on Brokeback, allowed him to let the feelings surface again with Jack. His father was dead and he now felt *safe* as long as no one off the isolated *safe harbour* of Brokeback found out. Jack said all they had left was Brokeback Mt. in the confrontation scene at the end meaning imo that Ennis could'nt let go of that isolated , safe environment, where he was free to be who he truly was.
***

BBM was a sanctuary where they could be themselves.  I think we glimpse Ennis's true nature mostly in those scenes up in the Mountain...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 28, 2008, 07:44 AM
I know I said that I am not getting into an argument.

But I can't resist jumping back in to stir up the water a bit.

Here is a question for you all.

Was Ennis gay in his pre-teen years, when all he felt was yearning for friendship and companionship?

Some people have sexual feelings early, and know for certain that they are attracted to others of their same gender.

Some people don't develop sexual feelings, or perhaps repressed them to the point of non-existence, but nonetheless, have strong yearnings for the friendships and companionships that usually come with a sexual relationship, a true love relationship, or as recently posted, a bromance relationship.

In my humble opinion, Ennis is of the latter variety. His yearning for friendship, to chase away the loneliness, was so strong that, compound with the traumatic impact of the Earl scene, made him felt indelibly that he was gay when he was not, and so he repressed it and made himself think that he ain't queer. In fact, homophobia is a possible sign of feelings repressed, and in some cases, leading to feelings engendered when non existed previously. In the case with Ennis, once there was friendship with Jack over the weeks, and then Jack made the advances in FNIT, he was faced with the dilemma of enjoying and liking Jack with strong feelings, and fearing the repercussions of being gay.  I agree that by SNIT, when he thought about it by the fire, and stood up, both hands on his knees, hat in hand, to the tent, Ennis accept his feelings towards Jack. And in the shortstory, by the reunion scene in the motel, Ennis knew he had strong feelings for Jack, hundreds of times.

My question is again, whether the kid Ennis (as someone put it), the pre-teen Ennis, had clear conscious or otherwise, sexual feelings towards other men.

My own response will likely be unpopular but, hey, who wants to be popular anyway.  :8

And in case anyone missed it, I agree that by SNIT, Ennis accepted his attraction to Jack. I doubt he will ever accept his attraction to other men, when in fact he has succeeded to repress it to the point of non-existence. It is why Jack needs to go to Mexico, and Ennis is content with beans...hmmm...I meant, memories of Brokeback Mountain.

Hmmm...  I have always considered gayness/homosexuality to be part of one's nature/make-up.  I am of a school that it is primarily rooted in nature, although nurture can influence its course of development.  So I guess my answer is yes.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 28, 2008, 07:47 AM
I think the water here is a continuous whirlpool better known as discussion or debate, rather than... well anyway.
Sexuality aside, most kids in lonely or abusive situations with family, will seek out companionship often on a deep or "true" level. Given Ennis' blatant less than zen at-home sichiation described in both the SS and film, he could have always used a friend. This issue is a pivotable door giving way to the logic of any sexuality and doesn't really magnify the study of kid Ennis' sexual nature. -- that would be about as productive a thesis as Oprah Winfrey wearing sky blue contacts to get in touch with her Caucasian roots.

It seems mostly unanimous however, that pre-teen Ennis' puberty and sexuality weren't certainly delivered in the story, and of course we're all going to put our own puzzle pieces together. I find it likely that as a kid, Ennis was gay and had been born this way. It gives a sharper significance to the last scene in Brokeback Mountain, when Ennis faces the postcard and shirts and feels the loss of sanctity -- the security of self, freedom and love.

When Ennis is lead down to see Earl, he is so affectively robbed of ever being able to reach his full potential. The ability to be who he is (I am embedding the idea that his homosexuality was put before the dickless dead old man scene, yes) was handicapped when he saw Earl. The poignance of Brokeback Mountain was that it was indeed safe; alright to continue where he'd been left off post-Earl; safe to let all his feelings towards Jack circulate unhindered.

I believe Ennis' perception of the Earl scene is that it had BROKEN him and he was "scared straight." But on Brokeback he wasn't submissive to Earl. He left Alma, the metal teeth of society's irrigation ditch; he couldn't "leave" Brokeback for good though. It's the only place he felt wholesome; Earl was quite a detour, but it was the only road Ennis knew. He even brought suvenirs of his love on Brokeback, back into his closet -- Talk about an epic roundtrip starting at childhood...

Ennis with his dad's hand on his shoulder, is guided straight ahead. Then he's abruptly turned to see a dead man in a ditch whose dick was pulled off for having been with another man. Ennis and Jack went to Brokeback, they had sex and fell (felt)in love, but then Ennis' fear of a dead man brought him back to square one, the closet. -- this is where only the memory of Jack was left to hang.
Essentially he traveled down the same path twice. He was born gay and was shown it was wrong. It's no wonder he turned into a stoic, a drifter, going down the only road he knew. Stopping on Brokeback so far away, where he couldn't fix the image of Earl but could stand it.

In short, I feel that Earl had done a number as for taking away from Ennis, rather than instilling a supposed homosexuality; the trauma was that Ennis was broken and simply couldn't be fixed. And Jack was the reflection of how Ennis was born to love. And that was without reins.

I do agree with this.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 28, 2008, 09:56 AM
I think the water here is a continuous whirlpool better known as discussion or debate, rather than... well anyway.
Sexuality aside, most kids in lonely or abusive situations with family, will seek out companionship often on a deep or "true" level. Given Ennis' blatant less than zen at-home sichiation described in both the SS and film, he could have always used a friend. This issue is a pivotable door giving way to the logic of any sexuality and doesn't really magnify the study of kid Ennis' sexual nature. -- that would be about as productive a thesis as Oprah Winfrey wearing sky blue contacts to get in touch with her Caucasian roots.

It seems mostly unanimous however, that pre-teen Ennis' puberty and sexuality weren't certainly delivered in the story, and of course we're all going to put our own puzzle pieces together. I find it likely that as a kid, Ennis was gay and had been born this way. It gives a sharper significance to the last scene in Brokeback Mountain, when Ennis faces the postcard and shirts and feels the loss of sanctity -- the security of self, freedom and love.

When Ennis is lead down to see Earl, he is so affectively robbed of ever being able to reach his full potential. The ability to be who he is (I am embedding the idea that his homosexuality was put before the dickless dead old man scene, yes) was handicapped when he saw Earl. The poignance of Brokeback Mountain was that it was indeed safe; alright to continue where he'd been left off post-Earl; safe to let all his feelings towards Jack circulate unhindered.

I believe Ennis' perception of the Earl scene is that it had BROKEN him and he was "scared straight." But on Brokeback he wasn't submissive to Earl. He left Alma, the metal teeth of society's irrigation ditch; he couldn't "leave" Brokeback for good though. It's the only place he felt wholesome; Earl was quite a detour, but it was the only road Ennis knew. He even brought suvenirs of his love on Brokeback, back into his closet -- Talk about an epic roundtrip starting at childhood...

Ennis with his dad's hand on his shoulder, is guided straight ahead. Then he's abruptly turned to see a dead man in a ditch whose dick was pulled off for having been with another man. Ennis and Jack went to Brokeback, they had sex and fell (felt)in love, but then Ennis' fear of a dead man brought him back to square one, the closet. -- this is where only the memory of Jack was left to hang.
Essentially he traveled down the same path twice. He was born gay and was shown it was wrong. It's no wonder he turned into a stoic, a drifter, going down the only road he knew. Stopping on Brokeback so far away, where he couldn't fix the image of Earl but could stand it.

In short, I feel that Earl had done a number as for taking away from Ennis, rather than instilling a supposed homosexuality; the trauma was that Ennis was broken and simply couldn't be fixed. And Jack was the reflection of how Ennis was born to love. And that was without reins.

Friend, everything you said is so true. You are completely right. That's what I've always felt about Ennis too. His personality was one where he had the ability to love so truly, deeply, and purely. Jack brought all of that out.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Mar 28, 2008, 11:51 AM
 But Jack was a man. Another man beame Ennis's focal point despite his homophobic teachings. . Jack was friend, companion, and lover for Ennis .   I feel as a child there was much fear of his father. His father's words and actions. He also had a mother who apparently loved and cared for him and was a source of comfort so he had somewhat of another side  , some one other than the one who hated was present in the home. Some one who sang lullabys and made him feel loved. With repressed feelings , as a pre-teen, certainly he sought friendship and copanionship as we all do. the wish to belong to a group with similar social interests. But there was always Earl to remind him that in his culture , these feelings were not only unacceptable, but dangerous. He doe'snt quite fit in with what was expected of him so he becomes withdrawn. He can successfully repress his feelings, but he is also aware that they exist, but buried deep down inside with the fear and shame. It must remain a secret or he'd be dead.
 
 I think when he met Jack it was only then, he was shown that he need'nt fear or be ashamed of what he felt. It was jack who engaged Ennis and drew him out of his self -imposed shell. It allowed Ennis to just be Ennis first without judgements., before anything romantically could be realized.  Then something began to happen.  Jack finds Ennis not only has a personality, but also a  sense of humor. The harmonica jokes, a cute way  of Ennis  flirting, a sure sign that Ennis was starting to think of himself as one half of a *couple*. Most likely, it was  un-concious on his part, but he knew he always got a smile from Jack. Jack was great at reading these little subtlies in Ennis and responded in kind.

They slowly become drawn to each other  like magnets  in a mental sense.and start to realize that their friendship is moving past mere companionship into something knowing, unspoken and indescribable. Ennis falls in love with Jack , longs for his presence while carving the horse and while washing the coffee pot. He finds these long repressed feelings are still present and a bigger part of him than he ever dreamed. Only now on isolated Brokeback Mt., he feels safe enough to let them surface. My opinion.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Mar 28, 2008, 12:04 PM
But Jack was a man. Another man beame Ennis's focal point despite his homophobic teachings. . Jack was friend, companion, and lover for Ennis .   I feel as a child there was much fear of his father. His father's words and actions. He also had a mother who apparently loved and cared for him and was a source of comfort so he had somewhat of another side  , some one other than the one who hated was present in the home. Some one who sang lullabys and made him feel loved. With repressed feelings , as a pre-teen, certainly he sought friendship and copanionship as we all do. the wish to belong to a group with similar social interests. But there was always Earl to remind him that in his culture , these feelings were not only unacceptable, but dangerous. He doe'snt quite fit in with what was expected of him so he becomes withdrawn. He can successfully repress his feelings, but he is also aware that they exist, but buried deep down inside with the fear and shame. It must remain a secret or he'd be dead.
 
 I think when he met Jack it was only then, he was shown that he need'nt fear or be ashamed of what he felt. It was jack who engaged Ennis and drew him out of his self -imposed shell. It allowed Ennis to just be Ennis first without judgements., before anything romantically could be realized.  Then something began to happen.  Jack finds Ennis not only has a personality, but also a  sense of humor. The harmonica jokes, a cute way  of Ennis  flirting, a sure sign that Ennis was starting to think of himself as one half of a *couple*. Most likely, it was  un-concious on his part, but he knew he always got a smile from Jack. Jack was great at reading these little subtlies in Ennis and responded in kind.

They slowly become drawn to each other  like magnets  in a mental sense.and start to realize that their friendship is moving past mere companionship into something knowing, unspoken and indescribable. Ennis falls in love with Jack , longs for his presence while carving the horse and while washing the coffee pot. He finds these long repressed feelings are still present and a bigger part of him than he ever dreamed. Only now on isolated Brokeback Mt., he feels safe enough to let them surface. My opinion.

Yeah, I agree. When society was taken out of the picture, Ennis was free to be who he truly was. As long as he was in front of society, he felt immense fear and felt he had to pretend to be something he wasn't. But when he was alone with Jack...he could just let go and be himself.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Mar 31, 2008, 04:01 AM
Just to re-state what I think in simpler terms:

Ennis was ambivalent before he met Jack - not gay, not straight, definitely confused, possible bi.

Jack was definitely attracted to men in summer of '63 - definitely not straight, perhaps bi, perhaps gay.

As Anne Proulx said, they entered Brokeback Mountain ambiguous about their sexuality and left as gay men.

However, Ennis always viewed himself, as not queer, and Jack was just a fishing buddy or hunting buddy. He never accepted his own love for Jack, until Cassie showed him that "Girls (and guys) don't fall in love for fun."

Even then, Ennis never really accepted himself as gay, until he found the two shirts, and realized that Jack also loved him for all those years. That's when he finally accepted who he was. That's when he became a gay man, not the gay man who would march on Pride Day, or go to gay bars, but a gay man who accepted the love of his love was a man. No more, and no less.

Brokeback Mountain was not a story about two gay men who fell in love.

It was a story about a man who learned about love from another man. And together, they traveled the journey of gay men living in rural America, a journey of self-discovery, courage, and compassion.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Mar 31, 2008, 04:21 AM
Just to re-state what I think in simpler terms:

Ennis was ambivalent before he met Jack - not gay, not straight, definitely confused, possible bi.

Jack was definitely attracted to men in summer of '63 - definitely not straight, perhaps bi, perhaps gay.

As Anne Proulx said, they entered Brokeback Mountain ambiguous about their sexuality and left as gay men.

However, Ennis always viewed himself, as not queer, and Jack was just a fishing buddy or hunting buddy. He never accepted his own love for Jack, until Cassie showed him that "Girls (and guys) don't fall in love for fun."

Even then, Ennis never really accepted himself as gay, until he found the two shirts, and realized that Jack also loved him for all those years. That's when he finally accepted who he was. That's when he became a gay man, not the gay man who would march on Pride Day, or go to gay bars, but a gay man who accepted the love of his love was a man. No more, and no less.
Brokeback Mountain was not a story about two gay men who fell in love.

It was a story about a man who learned about love from another man. And together, they traveled the journey of gay men living in rural America, a journey of self-discovery, courage, and compassion.

Absolutely love this post, totally agree.  :clap:
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Mar 31, 2008, 04:24 AM
. . . . It was a story about a man who learned about love from another man. And together, they traveled the journey of gay men living in rural America, a journey of self-discovery, courage, and compassion.

Right on, brother Andrew.  O0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Mar 31, 2008, 05:05 AM
Just to re-state what I think in simpler terms:

Ennis was ambivalent before he met Jack - not gay, not straight, definitely confused, possible bi.

Jack was definitely attracted to men in summer of '63 - definitely not straight, perhaps bi, perhaps gay.

As Anne Proulx said, they entered Brokeback Mountain ambiguous about their sexuality and left as gay men.

However, Ennis always viewed himself, as not queer, and Jack was just a fishing buddy or hunting buddy. He never accepted his own love for Jack, until Cassie showed him that "Girls (and guys) don't fall in love for fun."


Even then, Ennis never really accepted himself as gay, until he found the two shirts, and realized that Jack also loved him for all those years. That's when he finally accepted who he was. That's when he became a gay man, not the gay man who would march on Pride Day, or go to gay bars, but a gay man who accepted the love of his love was a man. No more, and no less.

Brokeback Mountain was not a story about two gay men who fell in love.

It was a story about a man who learned about love from another man. And together, they traveled the journey of gay men living in rural America, a journey of self-discovery, courage, and compassion.


The acceptance of his sexuality and the acceptance of Jack's love are two different things.   Ennis would have been deemed nuts or in state of denial if he thought his time with Jack was actually just a "fishing trip"  or "hunting trip", and Jack was just his buddy.   Then what went on for twenty years was done out some of kind of sick complusion, and not love.  I think Alma took care of the sexuality thing, when she brought out in the open on Thanksgivings.

Ennis's problem was accepting Jack's love, and believing Jack love him in returned, that's what happened in Jack room, and that's what the shirts were about.  He understood he was actually loved.   

I could be wrong but just my take.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Mar 31, 2008, 06:28 AM
Ennis's problem was accepting Jack's love, and believing Jack loved him in returned, that's what happened in Jack room, and that's what the shirts were about. He understood he was actually loved.

I'm also of the belief that what Ennis discovered in Jack's room (via the shirts) was himself. That he loved Jack.

He loved a man. I feel this was Ennis's epiphany. JMHO
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 31, 2008, 07:06 AM
Just to re-state what I think in simpler terms:

Ennis was ambivalent before he met Jack - not gay, not straight, definitely confused, possible bi.

Jack was definitely attracted to men in summer of '63 - definitely not straight, perhaps bi, perhaps gay.

As Anne Proulx said, they entered Brokeback Mountain ambiguous about their sexuality and left as gay men.

However, Ennis always viewed himself, as not queer, and Jack was just a fishing buddy or hunting buddy. He never accepted his own love for Jack, until Cassie showed him that "Girls (and guys) don't fall in love for fun."

Even then, Ennis never really accepted himself as gay, until he found the two shirts, and realized that Jack also loved him for all those years. That's when he finally accepted who he was. That's when he became a gay man, not the gay man who would march on Pride Day, or go to gay bars, but a gay man who accepted the love of his love was a man. No more, and no less.

Brokeback Mountain was not a story about two gay men who fell in love.

It was a story about a man who learned about love from another man. And together, they traveled the journey of gay men living in rural America, a journey of self-discovery, courage, and compassion.


And given my last post, I still disagree. Ennis was born gay. You don't have to know it to be it. Similarly, you don't have to grow up and be told your anatomy is of the 'male' nature, it just is.

The story is much more than Ennis' discovery or eventual acceptance of his sexuality, oh yes -- Agreed.

But the sexuality alone plays quite a role in the connection between 9 year old and 39 year old, womb and Earl, Earl and Brokeback Mountain, Jack and no Jack. He was born gay.

Per usual, just my take and finally, MHO.

 :f) ....  :c) ....  :f): psSst! Say, Harold... you got that April edition of Men on Trampolines?  ;D
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 31, 2008, 07:21 AM
I'm also of the belief that what Ennis discovered in Jack's room (via the shirts) was himself. That he loved Jack.

He loved a man. I feel this was Ennis's epiphany. JMHO

Excellent. Where you believe the epiphany was that he loved a man, I believe it was that he had experienced love at all; he was staring true love in the face. The epiphany was that he was absent the true love and only just now realized that he had it. To lose love the moment you realize it exists is a boulder thrown at your head, heart, and balls, m'kay? It hurts  ;D
 :*( But seriously. I think Ennis had acknowledged his "love" for a man during the time of Brokeback, the reunion kiss. -- Not with his mind nor that of society. But inside, his emotions (him and Jack back on the mountain with the Earl flashback and Jack's hand on Ennis' cheek) had swallowed his sexual identity so to speak. And there it sit in him like undigested meat does for years. The raw peak of his revellation at the end was shaking hands with true love, and then seeing it off on a Greyhound bus driven by fate, over the edge of his personal world.
Yes, in the trailer scene with Alma Jr., he still wasn't able to express his homosexuality via talk of loving Jack. And who knows when/if Ennis will ever 'come out'. But the power of Brokeback Mountain was the moment of love. The knowing it for what it was. In my heart, this is how I believe people from every walk of life can brutally relate to the whole thing.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 31, 2008, 07:23 AM


Ennis's problem was accepting Jack's love, and believing Jack love him in returned, that's what happened in Jack room, and that's what the shirts were about.  He understood he was actually loved.   



Agreed.  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 31, 2008, 07:51 AM
Just to re-state what I think in simpler terms:

Ennis was ambivalent before he met Jack - not gay, not straight, definitely confused, possible bi.

Jack was definitely attracted to men in summer of '63 - definitely not straight, perhaps bi, perhaps gay.

As Anne Proulx said, they entered Brokeback Mountain ambiguous about their sexuality and left as gay men.

However, Ennis always viewed himself, as not queer, and Jack was just a fishing buddy or hunting buddy. He never accepted his own love for Jack, until Cassie showed him that "Girls (and guys) don't fall in love for fun."

Even then, Ennis never really accepted himself as gay, until he found the two shirts, and realized that Jack also loved him for all those years. That's when he finally accepted who he was. That's when he became a gay man, not the gay man who would march on Pride Day, or go to gay bars, but a gay man who accepted the love of his love was a man. No more, and no less.

Brokeback Mountain was not a story about two gay men who fell in love.

It was a story about a man who learned about love from another man. And together, they traveled the journey of gay men living in rural America, a journey of self-discovery, courage, and compassion.


I believe in the ambiguity of the story as a matter of principle.

But to be faithful to this ambiguity, I also think that we should not say that BBM was NOT a story about gay men who fell in love.  People CAN interpret it this way.  The ambiguity of the story works both ways -- and that is what makes this story so great.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Mar 31, 2008, 07:54 AM
I believe in the ambiguity of the story as a matter of principle.

But to be faithful to this ambiguity, I also think that we should not say that BBM was NOT a story about gay men who fell in love.  People CAN interpret it this way.  The ambiguity of the story works both ways -- and that is what makes this story so great.



Sometimes I can't express how much I love your input as both an intelligible moderator and film fan with an individual opinion, Thomas.  :^^)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 31, 2008, 08:06 AM
OT: Thanks orangetruck.  I think my responses are only as good as the input of other people on this thread.  I love the way people express themselves so well in this part of the forum, independent of whether we agree with each other or not.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 01, 2008, 01:34 AM
I believe in the ambiguity of the story as a matter of principle.

But to be faithful to this ambiguity, I also think that we should not say that BBM was NOT a story about gay men who fell in love.  People CAN interpret it this way.  The ambiguity of the story works both ways -- and that is what makes this story so great.


Agreed, but what is unique about Brokeback Mountain, compared to other gay romantic stories, from Mambo Italiano, Defying Gravity, Latter Days, etc, is the fact that Ennis, and possibly Jack, began the story as ambiguous sexually, and discover his sexually as the story develops. We the audience is pulled into his journey along with him, and lived the gut-wrenching story with him.

I agree that the same story can be interpreted at many different levels, especially great stories. I agree that there really is NOT a single right or wrong simplistic answer in literature. It is why I love coming to this forum to learn all the different views and perspectives. And I am always grateful for the friendship here.

It is what drew Ennis to Jack, and Jack to Ennis. Someone asked in another thread if Ennis sacrificed his heterosexuality for friendship and companionship. I did not have the chance to respond then, but I can say that it was not a sacrifice. It was merely a shifting of his priorities. When what Jack offers to him meant more than what society imposed on him, expected of him, Ennis went with what felt right. Love is always preferably to fear. It is why repressive measures to ensure a person's heterosexuality is foolish. First of all, it is partly genetic, and partly nurture, and partly circumstance. In Jack's case, I dare say it is more genetic. In Ennis case, I speculate that his sexuality was hanging in the balance when they met on Brokeback in '63. Jack was the key that turned the lock and released the love in Ennis. I doubt any other man, under any other circumstance could have done the job. Jack was Ennis' true love. With Jack, Ennis was gay. Without Jack, I am not so sure.

Just my own interpretation.  :c)

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 01, 2008, 01:49 AM
Agreed, but what is unique about Brokeback Mountain, compared to other gay romantic stories, from Mambo Italiano, Defying Gravity, Latter Days, etc, is the fact that Ennis, and possibly Jack, began the story as ambiguous sexually, and discover his sexually as the story develops. We the audience is pulled into his journey along with him, and lived the gut-wrenching story with him.

I agree that the same story can be interpreted at many different levels, especially great stories. I agree that there really is NOT a single right or wrong simplistic answer in literature. It is why I love coming to this forum to learn all the different views and perspectives. And I am always grateful for the friendship here.

It is what drew Ennis to Jack, and Jack to Ennis. Someone asked in another thread if Ennis sacrificed his heterosexuality for friendship and companionship. I did not have the chance to respond then, but I can say that it was not a sacrifice. It was merely a shifting of his priorities. When what Jack offers to him meant more than what society imposed on him, expected of him, Ennis went with what felt right. Love is always preferably to fear. It is why repressive measures to ensure a person's heterosexuality is foolish. First of all, it is partly genetic, and partly nurture, and partly circumstance. In Jack's case, I dare say it is more genetic. In Ennis case, I speculate that his sexuality was hanging in the balance when they met on Brokeback in '63. Jack was the key that turned the lock and released the love in Ennis. I doubt any other man, under any other circumstance could have done the job. Jack was Ennis' true love. With Jack, Ennis was gay. Without Jack, I am not so sure.

Just my own interpretation.  :c)



Very unconvincing, but then I think I've heard this before. :P -- We're all in this together. 

I think that with Jack, Ennis' door was unlocked so he could experience love instead of being trapped away from it. He was gay but had been rendered fearful of that part of himself by Earl's image.
I don't see it as Ennis only being gay with Jack, that seems too preschool a perception. That's not an insult, I just think the picture isn't that superficial. Ennis' first and possibly only opportunity to absolutely love, was with Jack.

Homosexuality was genetic, imo. It was something like spontaneity in yours I guess.  :s)
Any way ya slice it that's my interpretive response to your interpretation. Established.  :cr)

Great topic we have here.   :c)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 01, 2008, 02:01 AM

Any way ya slice it that's my interpretive response to your interpretation. Established.  :cr)

Great topic we have here.   :c)

Interpretation is what great literature, and great art, is all about. If all movies and stories have only one interpretation, then it would be pretty boring.

  ;D  :cr)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 01, 2008, 02:06 AM
Interpretation is what great literature, and great art, is all about. If all movies and stories have only one interpretation, then it would be pretty boring.

  ;D  :cr)

Yeah!  &**)

Take the banner, I like how it states: Born from their love ... forever bound by ours.
Works a little better than: Born from their homosexuality... forever bound by society.  %&)
The latter works on one level, the former on a deeper one.
single malt scotch in rotation  $)  :c)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Apr 01, 2008, 07:15 AM
Agreed, but what is unique about Brokeback Mountain, compared to other gay romantic stories, from Mambo Italiano, Defying Gravity, Latter Days, etc, is the fact that Ennis, and possibly Jack, began the story as ambiguous sexually, and discover his sexually as the story develops. We the audience is pulled into his journey along with him, and lived the gut-wrenching story with him.

I agree that the same story can be interpreted at many different levels, especially great stories. I agree that there really is NOT a single right or wrong simplistic answer in literature. It is why I love coming to this forum to learn all the different views and perspectives. And I am always grateful for the friendship here.

It is what drew Ennis to Jack, and Jack to Ennis. Someone asked in another thread if Ennis sacrificed his heterosexuality for friendship and companionship. I did not have the chance to respond then, but I can say that it was not a sacrifice. It was merely a shifting of his priorities. When what Jack offers to him meant more than what society imposed on him, expected of him, Ennis went with what felt right. Love is always preferably to fear. It is why repressive measures to ensure a person's heterosexuality is foolish. First of all, it is partly genetic, and partly nurture, and partly circumstance. In Jack's case, I dare say it is more genetic. In Ennis case, I speculate that his sexuality was hanging in the balance when they met on Brokeback in '63. Jack was the key that turned the lock and released the love in Ennis. I doubt any other man, under any other circumstance could have done the job. Jack was Ennis' true love. With Jack, Ennis was gay. Without Jack, I am not so sure.

Just my own interpretation.  :c)

Your interpretation is well stated.  I am sure that others share your views, even though I beg to differ in the details.  The beauty here is that Ennis's sexuality and sexual motivations can be read differently according to one's own unique insight and experience.  I never tire in saying that this question reveals more about ourselves, rather than the subject at hand.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Apr 01, 2008, 07:25 AM
Very unconvincing, but then I think I've heard this before. :P -- We're all in this together. 

I think that with Jack, Ennis' door was unlocked so he could experience love instead of being trapped away from it. He was gay but had been rendered fearful of that part of himself by Earl's image.
I don't see it as Ennis only being gay with Jack, that seems too preschool a perception. That's not an insult, I just think the picture isn't that superficial. Ennis' first and possibly only opportunity to absolutely love, was with Jack.

Homosexuality was genetic, imo. It was something like spontaneity in yours I guess.  :s)
Any way ya slice it that's my interpretive response to your interpretation. Established.  :cr)

Great topic we have here.   :c)

Personally, I do agree with you on the broader points. I do believe that Ennis was homosexual/gay, and that his conflicted personailty arose from this and what he was preconditioned to believe.

Also, I don't take gayness to connote anything stereotypical.  Society at large has made it seem that way.   This is very far from the origins of this term.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 01, 2008, 09:50 AM
Your interpretation is well stated.  I am sure that others share your views, even though I beg to differ in the details.  The beauty here is that Ennis's sexuality and sexual motivations can be read differently according to one's own unique insight and experience.  I never tire in saying that this question reveals more about ourselves, rather than the subject at hand.


Absolutely! Great art inspires us according to who we are. You said it exactly the way I feel.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Apr 01, 2008, 09:53 AM
Absolutely! Great art inspires us according to who we are. You said it exactly the way I feel.

Great Art inspires life.  For lesser things, it is the other way around. :)

The current topic is a rich journey into who we are...


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 04, 2008, 02:23 AM
Great Art inspires life.  For lesser things, it is the other way around. :)

The current topic is a rich journey into who we are...




Good point.
Anybody else wonder how Ennis' brother interpreted Earl? What would it be like for him if he'd been born gay. And if he's straight? It is interesting to consider the brother's angst or stoicism with or without the strain of hidden (or possible just stunted) sexual identity and nature. This may be headed off topic, so I'll stop. It just leaves me curious. Ennis' brother was in the scene where one image has the potential of hindering sexuality and much more. I'll bet Annie could write another successful short story on the brother's journey.
What a load of wishful thinking on my part.

But I do find this compelling..
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Apr 04, 2008, 04:37 AM
Good point.
Anybody else wonder how Ennis' brother interpreted Earl? What would it be like for him if he'd been born gay. . .

Interesting thought OT. If it's too OT mods will need to shoot us down. Earlier it was mentioned that little Ennis, if indeed he was "born gay" may have picked up on the entire Earl/Rich saga to a much greater degree than his non-gay brother simply because he felt an affinity for a male/male relationship even though at that young age he didn't understand what it was all about. In fact the E+R story may have turned on a light in his mind that would have otherwise been unilluminated regarding even the possibility of a male/male relationship. (I know it worked like that for me). So the question of his bro - if he had no homo inclinations, the view of Earl may have been just a dead man in a ditch, like seeing a gruesome car accident. He may not have related to it in any special way, cause the whole E+R story never really "clicked" with him. But if he was like Ennis then it might have had the same effect - or even if he wasn't gay, it might have made him more sympathetic to homo life styles later in life. Just some thoughts . . .
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Apr 04, 2008, 05:09 AM
In fact the E+R story may have turned on a light in his mind that would have otherwise been unilluminated regarding even the possibility of a male/male relationship. (I know it worked like that for me). So the question of his bro - if he had no homo inclinations, the view of Earl may have been just a dead man in a ditch, like seeing a gruesome car accident. He may not have related to it in any special way, cause the whole E+R story never really "clicked" with him. But if he was like Ennis then it might have had the same effect - or even if he wasn't gay, it might have made him more sympathetic to homo life styles later in life. Just some thoughts . . .
Yeah wonderful thoughts, making me think even more about the thoughts I have often pondered. I believe you are born gay; for some that switch is automatically on and they are aware from an early age, others fight or suppress it until that special connection is made with someone of the same sex and that light in the mind is switched on; Ennis even though he would have accepted the fact about his male/male attraction still fought with it until it was too late.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Apr 04, 2008, 09:54 AM
Interesting thought OT. If it's too OT mods will need to shoot us down. Earlier it was mentioned that little Ennis, if indeed he was "born gay" may have picked up on the entire Earl/Rich saga to a much greater degree than his non-gay brother simply because he felt an affinity for a male/male relationship even though at that young age he didn't understand what it was all about. In fact the E+R story may have turned on a light in his mind that would have otherwise been unilluminated regarding even the possibility of a male/male relationship. (I know it worked like that for me). So the question of his bro - if he had no homo inclinations, the view of Earl may have been just a dead man in a ditch, like seeing a gruesome car accident. He may not have related to it in any special way, cause the whole E+R story never really "clicked" with him. But if he was like Ennis then it might have had the same effect - or even if he wasn't gay, it might have made him more sympathetic to homo life styles later in life. Just some thoughts . . .

Yes, I do think that seeing the dead Earl affected Ennis more than it affected his brother, because Ennis was indeed gay. Of course, at nine years old, Ennis didn't understand this, but I do believe that people are born gay, so it makes sense. Ennis was more horrified than his brother because deep down inside he knew something about himself. I agree with you that for Ennis's brother, it just didn't "click", but for Ennis it did, and it definitely haunted him for the rest of his life. The way he tells Jack about it, you can tell that it's a painful and frightening bad memory that just wouldn't leave him alone.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Apr 04, 2008, 09:56 AM
Yes, I do think that seeing the dead Earl affected Ennis more than it affected his brother, because Ennis was indeed gay. Of course, at nine years old, Ennis didn't understand this, but I do believe that people are born gay, so it makes sense. Ennis was more horrified than his brother because deep down inside he knew something about himself. I agree with you that for Ennis's brother, it just didn't "click", but for Ennis it did, and it definitely haunted him for the rest of his life. The way he tells Jack about it, you can tell that it's a painful and frightening bad memory that just wouldn't leave him alone.

hmm it was very obviouse of this. it was most certainly the main event that sparked Ennis fear of society.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 04, 2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah wonderful thoughts, making me think even more about the thoughts I have often pondered. I believe you are born gay; for some that switch is automatically on and they are aware from an early age, others fight or suppress it until that special connection is made with someone of the same sex and that light in the mind is switched on; Ennis even though he would have accepted the fact about his male/male attraction still fought with it until it was too late.

I think it is not a matter of being born gay or straight. The biology, the biochemistry, the genetic basis of a person being gay or bi or whatever, is not totally clear. There are indications that some parts of the brain associated with emotions are more similar being gay men and straight women, and straight men and lesbians, but there is no evidence that this is a predisposition or a cause, only that, by the time of death (because all the evidence was gather post-mortem), the brain is indeed different, indicating some biological component of sexuality. There is no surprise there.

I do agree that there is a genetic component to being gay, and I like your analogy of a switch being turned on. It is possible that the genetic component of being gay is dormant in most people, if not ALL people, and that depending on the person, the switch is more easily or more difficult to switch on. I think all we can do is speculate until more scientific evidence is gathered.

I like the continuous spectrum of latent gayness, and the disparate difficulty in switching on the latent potential. It explains a lot of empirical observation of people's sexuality and behavior. It is a simple but far-reaching theory.

To bring it back to topic, I think Ennis has more latent potential than his brother, who seem to me to be very straight in the short story, a chip off the old block, whereas Ennis seem to me to be more sensitive, at nine, and emotional. Perhaps it was his affinity to the queer old birds Earl and Rich that prompted his old man to murder Earl. Who knows for sure? The traumatic scene, however, I dare say made the switch more exposed, ready for the right person to come along. Jack was the right person, in the right place, at the right time, and did everything right. In my opinion, that is why they are soul mates, because Ennis also gave Jack what Jack needed, faith and trust and loyalty. To be pissed on and ignore most of his life, Jack was thrilled to be the center of attention of this capable rock solid cowboy. To be appreciated, to be needed, to be loved. That was what Jack needed from Ennis. That is what Ennis realized too late at the diner, when Cassie said, love is not about fun. That is when Ennis realized, he too needed Jack. That's when he began the journey of accepting himself as a gay man, even though, I still insist, that in the summer of '63, before he met Jack, Ennis was sexually ambiguous and confused. The switch could have stayed off. But then he would never be as happy as he was by the river, sending up a prayer of thanks to heaven. Or, would he? What if Cassie came along after Alma divorced him for other reason?

We can speculate all we want. The truth is, we don't know for sure.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Apr 04, 2008, 11:00 AM
I think it is not a matter of being born gay or straight. The biology, the biochemistry, the genetic basis of a person being gay or bi or whatever, is not totally clear. There are indications that some parts of the brain associated with emotions are more similar being gay men and straight women, and straight men and lesbians, but there is no evidence that this is a predisposition or a cause, only that, by the time of death (because all the evidence was gather post-mortem), the brain is indeed different, indicating some biological component of sexuality. There is no surprise there.

I do agree that there is a genetic component to being gay, and I like your analogy of a switch being turned on. It is possible that the genetic component of being gay is dormant in most people, if not ALL people, and that depending on the person, the switch is more easily or more difficult to switch on. I think all we can do is speculate until more scientific evidence is gathered.

I like the continuous spectrum of latent gayness, and the disparate difficulty in switching on the latent potential. It explains a lot of empirical observation of people's sexuality and behavior. It is a simple but far-reaching theory.

To bring it back to topic, I think Ennis has more latent potential than his brother, who seem to me to be very straight in the short story, a chip off the old block, whereas Ennis seem to me to be more sensitive, at nine, and emotional. Perhaps it was his affinity to the queer old birds Earl and Rich that prompted his old man to murder Earl. Who knows for sure? The traumatic scene, however, I dare say made the switch more exposed, ready for the right person to come along. Jack was the right person, in the right place, at the right time, and did everything right. In my opinion, that is why they are soul mates, because Ennis also gave Jack what Jack needed, faith and trust and loyalty. To be pissed on and ignore most of his life, Jack was thrilled to be the center of attention of this capable rock solid cowboy. To be appreciated, to be needed, to be loved. That was what Jack needed from Ennis. That is what Ennis realized too late at the diner, when Cassie said, love is not about fun. That is when Ennis realized, he too needed Jack. That's when he began the journey of accepting himself as a gay man, even though, I still insist, that in the summer of '63, before he met Jack, Ennis was sexually ambiguous and confused. The switch could have stayed off. But then he would never be as happy as he was by the river, sending up a prayer of thanks to heaven. Or, would he? What if Cassie came along after Alma divorced him for other reason?

We can speculate all we want. The truth is, we don't know for sure.



Well, I don't think of it that way, and I suppose you don't either. I don't believe that it's all just brain states, or the like or that gay men and straight women or staight men and gay women have similar emotional patterns. I believe human beings, whether male or female, gay or straight, black or white, etc, etc., have the capacity to feel the same emotions, because that is a part of being human. Emotions don't have to do with the gender or sexual orientation of the person, but rather, they depend upon the individual. For example, if a little boy plays with dolls, it doesn't mean he's gay or if he plays with trucks it doesn't mean he's straight and if a boy is more sensitive or emotional, it doesn't mean he has an affinity to be gay. Such stereotypes are meaningless and foolish, and downright stupid, if you ask me. Things like that are completely social constructs, things made up and conditoned by society, and passed off as the "norm" when they indeed are not the natural order, only a fabrication and inculcation of society. Now, about the affinity to be gay or straight, I think it's a matter of something in attraction. While I don't think there's a "gay gene"...there is something people are born with that gives them an attraction either to males or females. Maybe you're right about there being some sort of "switch" that is more likely to come on in some than others. I feel this because when I think about it, I've known since I was five or six that I'm attracted to boys, and I've heard of many gay people who say they felt some sort of attraction when they were children, so this is a strong indication that gay is not a choice, but just simply how a person is. I don't think that if you have an affinity to be gay, anything can "fix" you and make you straight, or likewise if you have an affinity to be straight, that anything can make you become gay. If more people understood this, perhaps there would be less homophobia. Now, about Ennis. You have a point there about how maybe from a young age he had a liking for Earl and Rich and that his father realized something about him and therefore killed Earl and showed him to Ennis to "scare him straight"...so to speak. I believe Ennis knew it about himself that he was gay, but just kept it hidden and repressed, until Jack came along. Jack had the right attributes to bring out the real Ennis, and not just the fact that Ennis was gay, but bring out the true emotions and feelings in Ennis that Ennis had buried inside himself for years. And if Ennis had never met Jack, it is likely that he would have kept his real self hidden and repressed for his entire life.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 04, 2008, 11:06 AM
Interesting thought OT. If it's too OT mods will need to shoot us down. Earlier it was mentioned that little Ennis, if indeed he was "born gay" may have picked up on the entire Earl/Rich saga to a much greater degree than his non-gay brother simply because he felt an affinity for a male/male relationship even though at that young age he didn't understand what it was all about. In fact the E+R story may have turned on a light in his mind that would have otherwise been unilluminated regarding even the possibility of a male/male relationship. (I know it worked like that for me). So the question of his bro - if he had no homo inclinations, the view of Earl may have been just a dead man in a ditch, like seeing a gruesome car accident. He may not have related to it in any special way, cause the whole E+R story never really "clicked" with him. But if he was like Ennis then it might have had the same effect - or even if he wasn't gay, it might have made him more sympathetic to homo life styles later in life. Just some thoughts . . .

Thanks for the response, brings light to the idea.
I do find it interesting too that, given his heterosexuality, his relationship with women may be pierced. Maybe his nature to shelter his partner would be made paramount or less, his fidelity skeletal. It's hard to put a finger on a straight brother's reaction to a man made dickless for living with another man. I even get to wondering if the detail of the missing penis alone affects his sexual/romantic nature, whether that with women or men. Being gay and not having witnessed that kind of trauma, speculation indeed's as far as I go.
But I like that the thread is still moving. And I like your idea of the brother with the possible instillment of sensitivity towards homosexuality, 'specially with modernization. I think a number of us speculates it was his brother attending his and Alma's wedding. I wonder how likely it is that he himself speculated Ennis was gay, seeing as they both experienced potentially the 'same' thing as kids, and ever reads his stoic nature differently than that of himself. Although it's been going on 3 years since I read the SS before the movie came out, I can't accurately place the brother there. But wasn't he quick to move on and stoic in his own right?

Again, in the light of where they come from, I wonder if he suspects Ennis is running on empty still, predicts the marriage will fail and above anyone else, believes his brother was an Earl playing it safe.

Just some vague points but this far into it, it helps to see it from even another character's perspective.  :s)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 04, 2008, 11:15 AM
Well, I don't think of it that way, and I suppose you don't either. I don't believe that it's all just brain states, or the like or that gay men and straight women or staight men and gay women have similar emotional patterns. I believe human beings, whether male or female, gay or straight, black or white, etc, etc., have the capacity to feel the same emotions, because that is a part of being human. Emotions don't have to do with the gender or sexual orientation of the person, but rather, they depend upon the individual. For example, if a little boy plays with dolls, it doesn't mean he's gay or if he plays with trucks it doesn't mean he's straight and if a boy is more sensitive or emotional, it doesn't mean he has an affinity to be gay. Such stereotypes are meaningless and foolish, and downright stupid, if you ask me. Things like that are completely social constructs, things made up and conditoned by society, and passed off as the "norm" when they indeed are not the natural order, only a fabrication and inculcation of society. Now, about the affinity to be gay or straight, I think it's a matter of something in attraction. While I don't think there's a "gay gene"...there is something people are born with that gives them an attraction either to males or females. Maybe you're right about there being some sort of "switch" that is more likely to come on in some than others. I feel this because when I think about it, I've known since I was five or six that I'm attracted to boys, and I've heard of many gay people who say they felt some sort of attraction when they were children, so this is a strong indication that gay is not a choice, but just simply how a person is. I don't think that if you have an affinity to be gay, anything can "fix" you and make you straight, or likewise if you have an affinity to be straight, that anything can make you become gay. If more people understood this, perhaps there would be less homophobia. Now, about Ennis. You have a point there about how maybe from a young age he had a liking for Earl and Rich and that his father realized something about him and therefore killed Earl and showed him to Ennis to "scare him straight"...so to speak. I believe Ennis knew it about himself that he was gay, but just kept it hidden and repressed, until Jack came along. Jack had the right attributes to bring out the real Ennis, and not just the fact that Ennis was gay, but bring out the true emotions and feelings in Ennis that Ennis had buried inside himself for years. And if Ennis had never met Jack, it is likely that he would have kept his real self hidden and repressed for his entire life.

Hmm...interesting post, but I don't see how you mean about Ennis "knowing" his being gay, at nine. It is part of the problem in general when discussing this issue. There is no clear common understanding of what it means. We all know what it means for ourselves, but we all mean it differently. To me Ennis at nine was not gay, but he was probably sensitive and kind, as was his character throughout the movie. The scene with Earl only traumatized his kind soul, and made him angry, but it was only able to come out in uncontrollable episodes. The anger combined with the isolation and loneliness made him available to Jack's love.

I agree with you that stereotypes are stupid, and it is one of the greatness of Brokeback Mountain that it broke many people's stereotypes of gay men. But gay men themselves will tell you that we also harbour many stereotypes ourselves. It is part of being human. The problems come when we ignore it, and assume that they are true to life, when in fact, they are mere caricatures.

What defines gayness? Attraction? What kind of attraction? There are more questions than there are answers about Ennis.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 04, 2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the response, brings light to the idea.
I do find it interesting too that, given his heterosexuality, his relationship with women may be pierced. Maybe his nature to shelter his partner would be made paramount or less, his fidelity skeletal. It's hard to put a finger on a straight brother's reaction to a man made dickless for living with another man. I even get to wondering if the detail of the missing penis alone affects his sexual/romantic nature, whether that with women or men. Being gay and not having witnessed that kind of trauma, speculation indeed's as far as I go.
But I like that the thread is still moving. And I like your idea of the brother with the possible instillment of sensitivity towards homosexuality, 'specially with modernization. I think a number of us speculates it was his brother attending his and Alma's wedding. I wonder how likely it is that he himself speculated Ennis was gay, seeing as they both experienced potentially the 'same' thing as kids, and ever reads his stoic nature differently than that of himself. Although it's been going on 3 years since I read the SS before the movie came out, I can't accurately place the brother there. But wasn't he quick to move on and stoic in his own right?

Again, in the light of where they come from, I wonder if he suspects Ennis is running on empty still, predicts the marriage will fail and above anyone else, believes his brother was an Earl playing it safe.

Just some vague points but this far into it, it helps to see it from even another character's perspective.  :s)

I think it is easy to speculate how a teenager will react to such horror. Either it was horrific as it was for Ennis, or it was fascinating, for bullies and other who have no sympathy for others. Ennis' brother used to beat Ennis a lot (in the shortstory) until Ennis learned to stand up for himself, and fought back.

I don't think there is any real loving relationship between the two, or else Ennis wouldn't be out on his own at nineteen. Or, perhaps, in rural America at that time, 19 was the age to be out on your own. I don't know.

In any case, I think his brother would be at the wedding probably, but not the best man. Then again, it's hard to say.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 04, 2008, 11:31 AM
I think it is easy to speculate how a teenager will react to such horror. Either it was horrific as it was for Ennis, or it was fascinating, for bullies and other who have no sympathy for others. Ennis' brother used to beat Ennis a lot (in the shortstory) until Ennis learned to stand up for himself, and fought back.

I don't think there is any real loving relationship between the two, or else Ennis wouldn't be out on his own at nineteen. Or, perhaps, in rural America at that time, 19 was the age to be out on your own. I don't know.

In any case, I think his brother would be at the wedding probably, but not the best man. Then again, it's hard to say.

True. If he was the man I think he was in the background, he seemed light hearted. Not necessarily stoked about being there, but he played what was probably a typical part at a 60's wedding. Or any wedding for that matter. I have avoided them myself.  ;D

Interesting though, I of course have to wonder if Ennis' brother carried a bully kind of persona from having picked up on his father's hate, because he had earlier feelings of either homosexuality (yes, far fetched at ages under 9, but it does happen) or other sensitive friendships with other boys. Maybe as opposed to Ennis' recoil into fear of his homosexuality, the brother channels his father's hate into violence, etc?

By the way, does anyone know his brother's name? My taste buds are drying out.  :P
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Apr 04, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hmm...interesting post, but I don't see how you mean about Ennis "knowing" his being gay, at nine. It is part of the problem in general when discussing this issue. There is no clear common understanding of what it means. We all know what it means for ourselves, but we all mean it differently. To me Ennis at nine was not gay, but he was probably sensitive and kind, as was his character throughout the movie. The scene with Earl only traumatized his kind soul, and made him angry, but it was only able to come out in uncontrollable episodes. The anger combined with the isolation and loneliness made him available to Jack's love.

I agree with you that stereotypes are stupid, and it is one of the greatness of Brokeback Mountain that it broke many people's stereotypes of gay men. But gay men themselves will tell you that we also harbour many stereotypes ourselves. It is part of being human. The problems come when we ignore it, and assume that they are true to life, when in fact, they are mere caricatures.

What defines gayness? Attraction? What kind of attraction? There are more questions than there are answers about Ennis.

I don't think a nine-year old child can understand what being gay really means. But I think he can just feel attraction, toward males that he can't explain.  Ennis was indeed sensitive and kind all his life, that was indeed his nature, and that definitely has nothing to do with the fact that he was gay, that was a completely separate part of his personality and who he was. But I think he also felt something about attraction, and of course he didn't understand it, but it was there, and perhaps expressed itself in a fascination with Earl and Rich, which his father picked up on. I don't really know what defines attraction, or if it can be explained...but I do know that stereotypes and social constructs are indeed idiotic, that human beings can't be labeled and put in boxes. Who was Ennis? Who was Jack? The bottom line is, they were both human beings, and they feel in love with each other, truly and deeply. They found what most people don't ever find in this life, this true and epic and unconditional love, and the tragedy is in that the circumstances and people they were surrounded by didn't understand, and this cruelty, ignorance, and oppression of society didn't allow them to be who they are and be together the way they were meant to. That's the message, and that's what truly matters.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Apr 04, 2008, 12:52 PM
By the way, does anyone know his brother's name? My taste buds are drying out.  :P

Del Mar.

Sorry, it's been a long day.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Apr 04, 2008, 01:20 PM
Justin, Ennis' brother was KE Del Mar. That is in the SS, but I read in some place I don't remember that his name was Keeran or Kieran Ennis Del Mar!!!  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Apr 04, 2008, 01:29 PM
Uh Justin, btw, I don't think KE thought that Ennis was gay. I mean at 9 Ennis could be sweet, loving, shy, tender, delicate, all things that some homophobic adult would use to say that one person is gay; but Ennis was only 9, he was only a child, and a child being loving, shy and kind is something normal, frequent and many people have children like those!!! I don't think you can see a child at 9 and say if he is gay!!!

And when Ennis got older there was no possibility for KE to think that his brother was gay, because Ennis was very masculine, strong, rough and very tough, you know. In fact Heath Ledger (rest in peace) said that it was the most masculine role he ever played!!! Watching someone like Ennis you can't tell if he is gay. I mean, I'm sure that in those times ignorant people thought that gays were all queers, but queers like a queens, if you know what a mean, imagining them like a very feminine people. Wrong, but maybe KE thought that and seeing Ennis he couldn't tell that his brother was like that. Just my humble opinion.  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Apr 04, 2008, 01:58 PM
Oh well, sorry, It's me again. Just one more thing. This is to Andrew, Athena and Justin who said things about this.

I don't know anything about if you born gay or not. I have a friend who loved women, he was crazy about them and he was about marry, but his girl quit and he got depressed. One friend of him tried to comfort him and some night when they were so tired because they drank a lot, that boy kissed my friend. My friend didn't try to punch him or so. He was so hurting and sad and alone and hungry for love again that he decided to let his friend to love him. Well, it's been 6 years now and they are together. But he said to me that he never had thought about men before, and believe me he was not homophobic and he was not afraid of tire irons; he just didn't felt "that" before.
And well, here in the forum there is a beautiful woman with a big heart who was married, HAPPILY married, for many years. She met another woman and they start a deep friendship. Her friend was married too and she was happy too. They were friends for years, and they never wanted to have sex or something like that, but they needed to be with each other so much. Their husbands understood that and saw that friendship like something marvelous. But one day when they were alone they both hold their hands while they were talking and suddenly they kissed. Well, it's how all that started. They divorced and they are living together. They are so wonderful. They have never thought about women before, and they like/love/adore men right now.

So what I'm trying to say is that there are so many people out there who don't see themselves like bi or gay and they have a gay relationship. And even I have gay friends who never knew that they were gay till someone came along.
I read in some newspaper that we are supposed to born bi, but later our mind decides or something like that. I mean, there are many people who thinks at 13 that they adore men/or women and at 23 they love the contrary. Oh my, just rambling!! Sorry. It's just that I DON’T know anything about gay things but I want to learn, and I just curious about that born gay thing, because here in my country had a controversial because a radical right wing party said that gay people born gay so it is like a genetic disease (sorry, they are not my words), and the gay community in my city defended homosexuality saying that they were not born gay, but they choose; they choose to be gay and they choose who to like and who to love, men or women.

I'm not saying that it's true and this is not my personal opinion. I'm asking here. What do you think? Why gay people here said that?

This is so OT, so if moderators want to kick my ass, go a head!!!     ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 04, 2008, 02:51 PM
Uh Justin, btw, I don't think KE thought that Ennis was gay. I mean at 9 Ennis could be sweet, loving, shy, tender, delicate, all things that some homophobic adult would use to say that one person is gay; but Ennis was only 9, he was only a child, and a child being loving, shy and kind is something normal, frequent and many people have children like those!!! I don't think you can see a child at 9 and say if he is gay!!!

And when Ennis got older there was no possibility for KE to think that his brother was gay, because Ennis was very masculine, strong, rough and very tough, you know. In fact Heath Ledger (rest in peace) said that it was the most masculine role he ever played!!! Watching someone like Ennis you can't tell if he is gay. I mean, I'm sure that in those times ignorant people thought that gays were all queers, but queers like a queens, if you know what a mean, imagining them like a very feminine people. Wrong, but maybe KE thought that and seeing Ennis he couldn't tell that his brother was like that. Just my humble opinion.  ^f^

Tammy :)
It's just speculation. Thanks for your opinion. The idea isn't that the brother thought his brother was gay at 9. It's about seeing Ennis as is, as an adult, and suspecting his persona was possibly a cover for homosexuality. Ennis brother was possibly able to recall the growing process, or the lack of it, he endured himself and then applied the same logic to Ennis. Maybe he could see the marriage as a cover. Maybe he sees it as completely genuine and pure.
I'm not saying one way or another. It's good to know you think it unbelievable and impossible. I have been wanting others' input. :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 04, 2008, 02:51 PM
Justin, Ennis' brother was KE Del Mar. That is in the SS, but I read in some place I don't remember that his name was Keeran or Kieran Ennis Del Mar!!!  ^f^

Why thank you.  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 04, 2008, 02:52 PM
Del Mar.

Sorry, it's been a long day.  ;D  ;D  ;D


 :*(

Now I want Taco Del Mar.  :d)

 :cr) to a mutually long day. :P
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Apr 04, 2008, 06:42 PM
This is so OT, so if moderators want to kick my us, go a head!!!     ^f^
It seems to be OT but I like the direction it's going and very civilly atm I must say. As we will never know the answer to the question I feel that in this topic our OT discussion is important in trying to figure out the answer.
Tammy thankyou for a great post and I feel that what you said is very much 'that switch' we were discussing in the previous posts.  O0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Apr 04, 2008, 07:52 PM
Oh well, sorry, It's me again. Just one more thing. This is to Andrew, Athena and Justin who said things about this.

I don't know anything about if you born gay or not. I have a friend how loved women, he was crazy about them and he was about marry, but his girl quit and he got depressed. One friend of him tried to comfort him and some night when they were so tired because they drank a lot, that boy kissed my friend. My friend didn't try to punch him or so. He was so hurting and sad and alone and hungry for love again that he decided to let his friend to love him. Well, it's been 6 years now and they are together. But he said to me that he never had thought about men before, and believe me he was not homophobic and he was not afraid of tire irons; he just didn't felt "that" before.
And well, here in the forum there is a beautiful woman with a big heart who was married, HAPPILY married, for many years. She met another woman and they start a deep friendship. Her friend was married too and she was happy too. They were friends for years, and they never wanted to have sex or something like that, but they needed to be with each other so much. Their husbands understood that and saw that friendship like something marvelous. But one day when they were alone they both hold their hands while they were talking and suddenly they kissed. Well, it's how all that started. They divorced and they are living together. They are so wonderful. They have never thought about women before, and they like/love/adore men right now.

So what I'm trying to say is that there are so many people out there who don't see themselves like bi or gay and they have a gay relationship. And even I have gay friends who never knew that they were gay till someone came along.
I read in some newspaper that we are supposed to born bi, but later our mind decides or something like that. I mean, there are many people who thinks at 13 that they adore men/or women and at 23 they love the contrary. Oh my, just rambling!! Sorry. It's just that I DON’T know anything about gay things but I want to learn, and I just curious about that born gay thing, because here in my country had a controversial because a radical right wing party said that gay people born gay so it is like a genetic disease (sorry, they are not my words), and the gay community in my city defended homosexuality saying that they were not born gay, but they choose; they choose to be gay and they choose who to like and who to love, men or women.

I'm not saying that it's true and this is not my personal opinion. I'm asking here. What do you think? Why gay people here said that?

This is so OT, so if moderators want to kick my us, go a head!!!     ^f^

Hmmm, you know that is quite interesting, and I find it quite surprising. Because the right-wingers here in the U.S. have always condemned homosexuality by saying that people have control over whether they are gay or not, and that people choose to be gay, while people for gay rights have said that people can't choose to be gay, it's just the way they are. I see that in Spain it's the opposite, from what you're saying. Isn't it interesting that the same argument can be used in different countries to mean different things? As for the other things you said...I've also heard the theory that people are born bisexual...but then I heard about a lot of people who are gay saying from the time they were only five years old, they knew they had attractions they couldn't explain...what I really believe is that certain people are inclined to be gay, while others are inclined to be straight. I don't think any person or anything can make a person gay if they aren't or straight if they aren't. And I truly think Ennis knew he was attracted to other guys from the time he was a teenager, but of course kept it hidden and repressed, until he met Jack. Had he never met Jack, I don't think he would have ever had a romantic relationship with another man...this doesn't change who Ennis really was, and who he really felt attraction for, of course, but he would have kept those feelings hidden for his whole life if he hadn't met Jack...or someone exactly like Jack...which of course isn't likely to happen. Because there was no one exactly like Jack F-in Twist.  ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Apr 04, 2008, 07:55 PM
And I truly think Ennis knew he was attracted to other guys from the time he was a teenager, but of course kept it hidden and repressed, until he met Jack. Had he never met Jack, I don't think he would have ever had a romantic relationship with another man...this doesn't change who Ennis really was, and who he really felt attraction for, of course, but he would have kept those feelings hidden for his whole life if he hadn't met Jack...or someone exactly like Jack...which of course isn't likely to happen. Because there was no one exactly like Jack F-in Twist.  ;)
Yep  O0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 04, 2008, 10:29 PM
Del Mar.

Sorry, it's been a long day.  ;D  ;D  ;D


 :8   :8  :8

But, I got curious, and went back to the short story. It's K.E. Del Mar.  :c)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 04, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hmmm, you know that is quite interesting, and I find it quite surprising. Because the right-wingers here in the U.S. have always condemned homosexuality by saying that people have control over whether they are gay or not, and that people choose to be gay, while people for gay rights have said that people can't choose to be gay, it's just the way they are. I see that in Spain it's the opposite, from what you're saying. Isn't it interesting that the same argument can be used in different countries to mean different things? As for the other things you said...I've also heard the theory that people are born bisexual...but then I heard about a lot of people who are gay saying from the time they were only five years old, they knew they had attractions they couldn't explain...what I really believe is that certain people are inclined to be gay, while others are inclined to be straight. I don't think any person or anything can make a person gay if they aren't or straight if they aren't. And I truly think Ennis knew he was attracted to other guys from the time he was a teenager, but of course kept it hidden and repressed, until he met Jack. Had he never met Jack, I don't think he would have ever had a romantic relationship with another man...this doesn't change who Ennis really was, and who he really felt attraction for, of course, but he would have kept those feelings hidden for his whole life if he hadn't met Jack...or someone exactly like Jack...which of course isn't likely to happen. Because there was no one exactly like Jack F-in Twist.  ;)

Hmmm... :s)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think you misinterpreted what Tammy posted. I don't see the people in her post having a choice. Their love for each other happened. Love found them. They did NOT go out looking for it. They did NOT make a conscious choice.

The problem with political arguments about sexuality is that it is wrong from the beginning assumption. Sexuality is a private business that should remain private. Each individual must be free to be whoever he or she happens to be. What business is it for anyone else? We all assume that people are gay or straight or born this way or made a conscious choice, when in fact, in my humble opinion, there are as many different cases as there are individuals. Yes, naturally there are a majority of "average" person of gay or straight or bi or whatever, but no one fits into a stereotype, especially when it comes to coming of age. Who is to say the timing of becoming sexually aware, of becoming aware of ones own attraction is more than friendship, more than companionship?

Even after he and Jack spent a summer together, and they met in the reunion, Ennis in the short story said that he had no attraction to any other guy, just Jack. We can either accept that as true to Ennis' character, or we can assume he lied.

I think we should respect Annie's decision to put those words into the story. We are free to interpret the movie anyway we want, but I think we should also respect what other people's interpretation, most of all the people who wrote the story, the screenplay, and made the movie.

Just my own take on this topic.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 05, 2008, 03:59 AM
Annie wrote things certain ways. Ang replicated some things exactly, and others not. He even added his own (or the screenwriters), and rendered many scenes both slightly and hugely interpretable. There's a reason there was a film made of the SS, I'm assuming. Truth is, if one person wants to entertain slightly different understandings of the story without sacrificing their personal perception of it, they can go from SS to film. It's probably easier to grasp than juggling the intricate motives of each process (SS, screenplay, film director, etc). Of course it varies, some want it all. Probably though, most want to rest with what they're closest to home with.
To me it seems befitting that Ang utilized the story's wide open emotional capacity to reach the wider audience of film goers rather than that of the book readers. And speaking on that sometimes too conventional yet universal plane, I trust that sexuality was made for intricate thinking but just wasn't born to resonate like the stark naked brilliance of true love. None of us is about to change our beliefs or whatever you want to say, of (homo)sexuality. Nonetheless, we can't ignore this part of the story. It plays its part, right? At least we know we have a place to go, and that we all respect each other's sex and sexuality however it's grown into/with us or vise versa.

I know I'm not alone here with the idea that, at the least, Ennis was granted an opportunity to love the best way he ever could, on Brokeback away from the clenches of hate; and I say that because everywhere but the mountain, hate in an instance stretched over the whole planet Ennis knew of. He had very little leeway, he was a small man in a sterdy cage. After departure, in the alley as he punches the wall, he is like a wild rat being fingered through the bars and scared of what was getting a hold of him.
Jack had put a hand on his inner self that summer, and every individual reacts and personally relates to that connection -- it's hard to break that bond.
There are times when it's hard to grasp the other viewer's perception, but more and more I can only be inspired by this. It's likewise to know that this provocative power exists in any piece of media or anything, ever. And to think ... some people only know this feeling through tangible substances like drugs for instance, or, strictly sex, guilty pleasures of a finite earth. But Brokeback represents what goes on forever, and I don't want to ever take it for granted.
At the "end", despite this, that and sexuality, Ennis just doesn't want to take love for granted, I swear.
 :ghug:

Well I'm not exactly beaming with relevance, so excuse me.  *o)-- Does anyone else wonder how Jack's scene in the bathroom with his father's spray of abuse would have played somewhere in the movie? Would Ang have been able to do this without taking away from the story, or would it fail the film?

As we all dive deeper into it, I have a difficult time ignoring my occasional scavenge hunt for missing scenes/elements.  >:(  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Apr 05, 2008, 07:37 AM
well about the abuse in the bathroom i dont know if that could have fit in the film and if it did it would have to be jack telling it i mean it would be awful to shoot it as a scene showing the details but i dont think it was that neccisary to the film... any way this is  *o) so ill stop lol
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Apr 05, 2008, 08:31 AM
But, I got curious, and went back to the short story. It's K.E. Del Mar.  :c)

'Course I coulda' done that too, but was tryin' to be a smartass, and as whut usually happens, ended up bein' a dumbass.  ;)

But, since were goin' OT - Annie's so particular with her names. "K.E." really got me to wonderin' some time back - K.E. what the hey? There is a KayCee Wyoming over in Johnson County (north a Casper), but that don't seem right. There's a Deadhorse Road not far from there, still didn't seem to make sense. Any ideas? K.E. Kick Ennis, naw. If it don't mean nuthing, why'd she tell us? Not like her.

And just to keep OnTopic do you suppose one reason young Ennis "pasted" K.E. as per the SS was not only 'cause K.E. picked on him, but maybe Ennis felt "different" even then and was trying to work out his anger in a typical Ennis sort a' way?
:s)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 05, 2008, 08:58 AM
'Course I coulda' done that too, but was tryin' to be a smartass, and as whut usually happens, ended up bein' a dumbass.  ;)

But, since were goin' OT - Annie's so particular with her names. "K.E." really got me to wonderin' some time back - K.E. what the hey? There is a KayCee Wyoming over in Johnson County (north a Casper), but that don't seem right. There's a Deadhorse Road not far from there, still didn't seem to make sense. Any ideas? K.E. Kick Ennis, naw. If it don't mean nuthing, why'd she tell us? Not like her.

And just to keep OnTopic do you suppose one reason young Ennis "pasted" K.E. as per the SS was not only 'cause K.E. picked on him, but maybe Ennis felt "different" even then and was trying to work out his anger in a typical Ennis sort a' way?
:s)

 ;D I love your whole post, putting everything into perspective.  :t)

I guess we will just have to ask Annie, if we ever get the opportunity. I am sure she had some reason for using K.E. Kick Ennis sounds a bit too much, but I can hear KE taunting Ennis with it when they were young.

The short story says Ennis pasted KE because he told his dad about the bullying and his dad told him to take care of his own problem. And Ennis idolized his dad, so he did what he was told, and he did it good, like he does everything. He pasted KE good, every chance he got until the bully stopped.

To bring us back on topic, I'd say his childhood doesn't have any indication that he is gay or anything. Some people's sexuality is simply later to develop than others. Everyone has their own schedule. For Ennis, the guy who can be happy with a couple of high attitude f@#$s a few times a year, I'd say his sexuality is deep undercover, and probably never bloomed till SNIT. It's why he sat by the fire for so long. It took him a long time to find it, while sober. But once found, his passion was intense by comparison.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Apr 05, 2008, 09:13 AM
. . . I'd say his sexuality is deep undercover . . . It took him a long time to find it, . . . But once found, his passion was intense by comparison.

You Bet. As they say "Still waters run deep".

This seems a perfect description of Ennis del Mar.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 05, 2008, 09:17 AM
You Bet. As they say "Still waters run deep".

This seems a perfect description of Ennis del Mar.

I think it's one of the reasons why Jack loves him. He is full of delightful surprises, like the reunion kiss, the intensity of SNIT, the joy of jumping down those stairs, the dozy embrace.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Apr 05, 2008, 09:26 AM
I think it's one of the reasons why Jack loves him. He is full of delightful surprises, like the reunion kiss, the intensity of SNIT, the joy of jumping down those stairs, the dozy embrace.
hmmm :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Apr 05, 2008, 01:49 PM
Hmmm... :s)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think you misinterpreted what Tammy posted. I don't see the people in her post having a choice. Their love for each other happened. Love found them. They did NOT go out looking for it. They did NOT make a conscious choice.

The problem with political arguments about sexuality is that it is wrong from the beginning assumption. Sexuality is a private business that should remain private. Each individual must be free to be whoever he or she happens to be. What business is it for anyone else? We all assume that people are gay or straight or born this way or made a conscious choice, when in fact, in my humble opinion, there are as many different cases as there are individuals. Yes, naturally there are a majority of "average" person of gay or straight or bi or whatever, but no one fits into a stereotype, especially when it comes to coming of age. Who is to say the timing of becoming sexually aware, of becoming aware of ones own attraction is more than friendship, more than companionship?

Even after he and Jack spent a summer together, and they met in the reunion, Ennis in the short story said that he had no attraction to any other guy, just Jack. We can either accept that as true to Ennis' character, or we can assume he lied.

I think we should respect Annie's decision to put those words into the story. We are free to interpret the movie anyway we want, but I think we should also respect what other people's interpretation, most of all the people who wrote the story, the screenplay, and made the movie.

Just my own take on this topic.

Ummm...you misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't misinterpret Tammy's post. I didn't say that people go out choosing to be gay or choosing who they love. I believe that love finds people rather than people finding love. The summer of '63, neither Jack nor Ennis were expecting to find true love...but as destiny would have it, they met and true love found them. True love does indeed happen when people least expect it. What I said was how right-wingers here have always said homosexuality is a choice, and have used that argument to condemn it. She said that those same people use a different argument against homosexuality in her country. So I was just comparing and contrasting the anti-homosexual arguments in different countries.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 05, 2008, 03:31 PM
well about the abuse in the bathroom i dont know if that could have fit in the film and if it did it would have to be jack telling it i mean it would be awful to shoot it as a scene showing the details but i dont think it was that neccisary to the film... any way this is  *o) so ill stop lol



.... But it'd be interesting to see how Ang would place it, like he might have placed the other intimate scenes. Looking at the film as it is, yeah of course it wasn't exactly necessary.  :)



And just to keep OnTopic do you suppose one reason young Ennis "pasted" K.E. as per the SS was not only 'cause K.E. picked on him, but maybe Ennis felt "different" even then and was trying to work out his anger in a typical Ennis sort a' way?
:s)

Maybe he did, which makes me consider how sexuality may not so much (fully) develop until later but nonetheless, its seed is planted with birth. We simply don't all grow or conceptualize things at the same rate. And circumstance, instances and experience can stimulate one's maturity. Just like how a person goes through time and/or therapy to bring past angst into a state of manageability, it might take a certain person or the right timing for one to accept their own sexuality. In that respect, it may have taken the whole affair. At the end, when the object of Ennis' love and sex was gone, he finally resigned from the priority of denial. Although the power was in the tragic loss of pure love, to the extent of sexual acceptance it was with a man Ennis found the greatest of connections; he could no longer deny the final product that he'd been forced to fear the most. So vulnerable to this ludicrous growth spurt of his following the loss of Jack, denial finally misses the curve and crashes. It's not "I ain't queer" or "work's about all I got time for". It's "Jack, I swear.."

Ranging from the beginning of his life to the end of his Affair with Jack, Ennis' sexuality endures several stages of development, like a psychiatrist's client who finally realizes they can't run from their past and stops. It's Ennis we're talkin' about however, and he couldn't afford a Psychiatrist's 20 year bill. So it was Jack that had come along, and he didn't cost Ennis any money.  :\'(

-- My personal opinion still being that you're born to love a certain way, an individual way. One may trip over the other seeds, but they aren't going no where. Let it be.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Apr 05, 2008, 03:39 PM


.... But it'd be interesting to see how Ang would place it, like he might have placed the other intimate scenes. Looking at the film as it is, yeah of course it wasn't exactly necessary.  :)

Would you think he might have put in the "Water Walking Jesus" scene, Jack comparing his mother to his father?

Just a thought.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Apr 05, 2008, 04:19 PM
.... But it'd be interesting to see how Ang would place it, like he might have placed the other intimate scenes. Looking at the film as it is, yeah of course it wasn't exactly necessary.  :)

Not necessary, absolutely agreed. One of the pivotal features of this entire scene with Jack and his old man is the aspect of being, ahem. . . “clipped” to use Annie’s term. I’d always made the assumption (maybe incorrectly) but guessed anyway, that this discussion between Ennis and Jack, which is the way it presented in the SS as Ennis recollects it, that this discussion took place at a very intimate moment when certain, shall we say "equipment issues" were being compared by Ennis and Jack. Might have been a difficult, but nonetheless very interesting, scene of intimacy between the men. As I recall there’s no real indication when this discussion actually occurred other than it seems to have been after they were intimate.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 05, 2008, 04:31 PM
Not necessary, absolutely agreed. One of the pivotal features of this entire scene with Jack and his old man is the aspect of being, ahem. . . “clipped” to use Annie’s term. I’d always made the assumption (maybe incorrectly) but guessed anyway, that this discussion between Ennis and Jack, which is the way it presented in the SS as Ennis recollects it, that this discussion took place at a very intimate moment when certain, shall we say "equipment issues" were being compared by Ennis and Jack. Might have been a difficult, but nonetheless very interesting, scene of intimacy between the men. As I recall there’s no real indication when this discussion actually occurred other than it seems to have been after they were intimate.




I find it enticing. And like many of the vacant intimate scenes, it probably would only dillute the artful poignance of their relationship, if not more. It might teeter the focus into a more vivid, casual state of sexuality, you think? And a big part of Brokeback is the reserved, complicated aspect of homosexuality. We're certainly not watching Queer as Folk here, which brings a tear of joy to my eye in any case.  ;D
Thanks for the input, jackster. The story does override the scene, no doubt. I agree, no matter how challenging it is for me to wear blinders to this exchange between them.  :*(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 05, 2008, 06:40 PM
Ummm...you misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't misinterpret Tammy's post. I didn't say that people go out choosing to be gay or choosing who they love. I believe that love finds people rather than people finding love. The summer of '63, neither Jack nor Ennis were expecting to find true love...but as destiny would have it, they met and true love found them. True love does indeed happen when people least expect it. What I said was how right-wingers here have always said homosexuality is a choice, and have used that argument to condemn it. She said that those same people use a different argument against homosexuality in her country. So I was just comparing and contrasting the anti-homosexual arguments in different countries.

Thank you for the clarification. I always thought the right-wingers thinking a little unreal. Being gay in a repressive society, is such a horrible experience growing up, that no sane person would CHOOSE to be gay. It is why teenage suicide among gays is much higher than among straights. Now that the new attitude about gays is prevalent in western society, and perhaps around the world eventually, I hope Heath can be proud to be in a movie that perhaps changed a few minds, and saved a few lives.

Thanks again for your clarification. It is so easy to be misunderstood in cyberspace. Actually, it is easy to be understood in real life, too.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Apr 05, 2008, 06:59 PM
. .  a big part of Brokeback is the reserved, complicated aspect of homosexuality.

Yup. One of the magic wonders of the film is how the movie itself takes on the actual personality of Ennis, but so subtlety you don't see it. Genius.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 06, 2008, 12:29 AM
Not necessary, absolutely agreed. One of the pivotal features of this entire scene with Jack and his old man is the aspect of being, ahem. . . “clipped” to use Annie’s term. I’d always made the assumption (maybe incorrectly) but guessed anyway, that this discussion between Ennis and Jack, which is the way it presented in the SS as Ennis recollects it, that this discussion took place at a very intimate moment when certain, shall we say "equipment issues" were being compared by Ennis and Jack. Might have been a difficult, but nonetheless very interesting, scene of intimacy between the men. As I recall there’s no real indication when this discussion actually occurred other than it seems to have been after they were intimate.

I had to look it up in the short story. Ennis recalled the bathroom scene right after Old man Twist told him about Randall, after Jack's Ma invited him to go upstairs to Jack's room. The short story did not say when Jack told the story to Ennis, but it would be reasonable to think that it was an intimate moment, either relating to each other about their "equipment" or when they were relating to each other about their fathers.

I think the story is more an indictment against the old man Twist as a stud duck, a bully, than as a reflection of Jack. I think it is wise of Ang Lee or Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry or the producers to remove this scene from the movie, and replaced it with the infamous spit into the coffee cup. They serve the same purpose - the old man is a bullying boar. Unlike Ennis who idolized his father, Jack undoubtedly had a love-hate relationship, as any abused child would have.

Okay, before I get the angry OT sign, here is a question to bring it back on topic. Do you think the Earl scene and the bathroom scene are both pivotal moments that influenced Ennis and Jack respectively to be gay? Or, do you think they have no bearing on their gayness? In other words, do you think being gay is 100% genetic, or has some component of environmental influence? If so, the question, "was ennis gay" becomes "at what point, did ennis become gay"?

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Apr 06, 2008, 07:20 AM
I had to look it up in the short story. Ennis recalled the bathroom scene right after Old man Twist told him about Randall, after Jack's Ma invited him to go upstairs to Jack's room. The short story did not say when Jack told the story to Ennis, but it would be reasonable to think that it was an intimate moment, either relating to each other about their "equipment" or when they were relating to each other about their fathers.

I think the story is more an indictment against the old man Twist as a stud duck, a bully, than as a reflection of Jack. I think it is wise of Ang Lee or Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry or the producers to remove this scene from the movie, and replaced it with the infamous spit into the coffee cup. They serve the same purpose - the old man is a bullying boar. Unlike Ennis who idolized his father, Jack undoubtedly had a love-hate relationship, as any abused child would have.

Okay, before I get the angry OT sign, here is a question to bring it back on topic. Do you think the Earl scene and the bathroom scene are both pivotal moments that influenced Ennis and Jack respectively to be gay? Or, do you think they have no bearing on their gayness? In other words, do you think being gay is 100% genetic, or has some component of environmental influence? If so, the question, "was ennis gay" becomes "at what point, did ennis become gay"?


well i read somewhere something that said being gay can be caused by things such as abscene of a male role model (father) or other problems with a male role model so maybe the earl scene and the bathroom scene if following this theory could have contributed to jack and ennis being gay and also maybe ennis being picked on by his older brother K.E could have also contributed. personally i didnt beleive this theory when i read it (it was actually something about how some scientists thought hitler was gay and in denial hence his hate) well to be honset i never beleived the theory i always assumed homosexuals where born homosexual. but i suppose many people on this firum are more qualified to explain this to me then vice versa.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 06, 2008, 07:29 AM
well i read somewhere something that said being gay can be caused by things such as abscene of a male role model (father) or other problems with a male role model so maybe the earl scene and the bathroom scene if following this theory could have contributed to jack and ennis being gay and also maybe ennis being picked on by his older brother K.E could have also contributed. personally i didnt beleive this theory when i read it (it was actually something about how some scientists thought hitler was gay and in denial hence his hate) well to be honset i never beleived the theory i always assumed homosexuals where born homosexual. but i suppose many people on this firum are more qualified to explain this to me then vice versa.

We talk of being gay as if it is a singular phenomenon. I personally believe that it is more complex that a person's orientation. The orientation is merely the surface manifestation of much deeper and more complex interactions between genetics, brain chemistry during childhood development, and social/emotional environmental events during adolescent development. It is not a single gene, or a single event, or a single biochemical pattern, but a number of different factors, each independently or together causing the result.

Just my own un-qualified opinion.

The genetic, biochemical components may lead to a predisposition to being gay, but other factors trigger the orientation, whether at birth, in childhood, or later in life, depends on the individual. There may be rule-of-thumb generalizations, but there are always individual exceptions.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Apr 06, 2008, 08:00 AM
. . . Do you think the Earl scene and the bathroom scene are both pivotal moments that influenced Ennis and Jack respectively to be gay?


Well cowboy, you put this bait out there, so I'm stupid enough to take it . . . “Pivotal”? nah, helpful? possibly. If indeed either were gay, would they have had these feelings without these events, you bet. Seems we have some vague ideas of who is (and who isn’t) a homo and therefore have some farfetched ideas of why they are a homo. My take is we don’t really have any better idea than why some folks like chocolate cake, some like oysters, and some actually like haggis. If we’re ever able to figure that out then maybe we can start thinkin’ about tryin’ to ‘splain the reasons behind human sexual tendencies. JMHO
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Apr 06, 2008, 08:23 AM
Well cowboy, you put this bait out there, so I'm stupid enough to take it . . . “Pivotal”? nah, helpful? possibly. If indeed either were gay, would they have had these feelings without these events, you bet. Seems we have some vague ideas of who is (and who isn’t) a homo and therefore have some farfetched ideas of why they are a homo. My take is we don’t really have any better idea than why some folks like chocolate cake, some like oysters, and some actually like haggis. If we’re ever able to figure that out then maybe we can start thinkin’ about tryin’ to ‘splain the reasons behind human sexual tendencies. JMHO

So I can't use the excuse my mom drop me on my head when I was a baby? Darn!!!

Seriously I agree with Jackster, its one them mysteries of life,  I'm just trying not to let life past me by thinking about it.   JMHO.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 06, 2008, 07:14 PM
Well cowboy, you put this bait out there, so I'm stupid enough to take it . . . “Pivotal”? nah, helpful? possibly. If indeed either were gay, would they have had these feelings without these events, you bet. Seems we have some vague ideas of who is (and who isn’t) a homo and therefore have some farfetched ideas of why they are a homo. My take is we don’t really have any better idea than why some folks like chocolate cake, some like oysters, and some actually like haggis. If we’re ever able to figure that out then maybe we can start thinkin’ about tryin’ to ‘splain the reasons behind human sexual tendencies. JMHO

Me?!  ??? Baiting?!  #) Honestly, officer, I was a good boy.

And seriously, Jackster, I love your response. You took the words right out of my head when you said, "why some folks like chocolate cake, some oysters, and some acutally like haggis." Well, I would have said only "why some people like cherry cake, and others vanilla" but I like your version better. I was only asking because I thought the question "was ennis gay?" embedded its own limitation on the possible answers. It created a dichotomy of yes or no, when in fact, JMHO, Ennis' sexuality is much more complex, that changes over time.

So I can't use the excuse my mom drop me on my head when I was a baby? Darn!!!

Seriously I agree with Jackster, its one them mysteries of life,  I'm just trying not to let life past me by thinking about it.   JMHO.

And I agree with you agreeing with Jackster. It reminds me of who said it, "Life is what happens while we are busy making plans." I am sure I got the quotation wrong, and I am equally sure some smart guy will come along and correct me, and tell us who said the original wise saying.  :t) in advance.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Apr 06, 2008, 07:19 PM
Thank you for the clarification. I always thought the right-wingers thinking a little unreal. Being gay in a repressive society, is such a horrible experience growing up, that no sane person would CHOOSE to be gay. It is why teenage suicide among gays is much higher than among straights. Now that the new attitude about gays is prevalent in western society, and perhaps around the world eventually, I hope Heath can be proud to be in a movie that perhaps changed a few minds, and saved a few lives.

Thanks again for your clarification. It is so easy to be misunderstood in cyberspace. Actually, it is easy to be understood in real life, too.

Yeah, I've never thought that being gay is a choice, therefore I find the right-wingers argument quite ridiculous. The bottom line is, every person should be able to be with the person they truly love, whether that person is of a different ethnicity, born into a different religion, same gender, etc. True love transcends all the meaningless boundaries society has instilled upon humanity.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 06, 2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I've never thought that being gay is a choice, therefore I find the right-wingers argument quite ridiculous. The bottom line is, every person should be able to be with the person they truly love, whether that person is of a different ethnicity, born into a different religion, same gender, etc. True love transcends all the meaningless boundaries society has instilled upon humanity.

 :clap: :clap: :clap: <^( <^( <^( I agree.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 06, 2008, 07:54 PM
Personally, I don't think the pivotal espisodes of young Jack and Ennis influenced either boy/man's sexuality. They were born gay, imo; as to when they became *aware* of it, hell, it could have been foggy forever. Half way to forever, it becomes obvious the awareness doesn't matter -- it's not a necessity like the acceptance of their love is.
If anything, I think as far as influence of scenes like Earl goes, the boys were brashly introduced to denial; Ennis' switch inside was shut off, leaving him to grow up in the dark and trip over his own branches, a way of ignoring himself. His genetically sexual make-up was hindered. Jack, I'm not real sure. I get the idea that he's gay and outside of the abuse, his curious nature picked up the difference in genitalia, much like a boy simply notes his father has extra stuff should they bathe together. Perhaps the abusive episodes of his father merely influenced Jack's sensitive side and need to protect/comfort a companion later on. Had he only ever been neglected and not given love growing up, perhaps he wouldn't make a match for Ennis. Like when 2 magnets are turned towards each other to resistance, and Ennis doesn't budge and Jack swings around for the magnetic connection.
I feel the only real influence on the boys' genetic homosexuality was when the match was made on Brokeback Mountain. It's what they were born to do, no matter how disturbing their roads there had been. Their natural and complete love was the highest influence. All else was the influence of fear and the absense of what is (gay) love.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Apr 06, 2008, 08:36 PM
. . . It reminds me of who said it, "Life is what happens while we are busy making plans." I am sure I got the quotation wrong, and I am equally sure some smart guy will come along and correct me, and tell us who said the original wise saying.  :t) in advance.

Pretty damn close cowboy -
"Life is what happens to you're while you're busy making other plans"
John Lennon
1980
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jeffjoe on Apr 06, 2008, 08:56 PM
Personally, I don't think the pivotal espisodes of young Jack and Ennis influenced either boy/man's sexuality. They were born gay, imo; as to when they became *aware* of it, hell, it could have been foggy forever. Half way to forever, it becomes obvious the awareness doesn't matter -- it's not a necessity like the acceptance of their love is.
I think this is true you are that you was born to be... if you are not aware of it, does't mean you are not i guess.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 07, 2008, 01:41 AM
Pretty damn close cowboy -
"Life is what happens to you're while you're busy making other plans"
John Lennon
1980

:t) smart guy.  :t)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 07, 2008, 01:49 AM
I think this is true you are that you was born to be... if you are not aware of it, does't mean you are not i guess.


Okay, we are back to the duality definition of gay/not gay. But now we are also confronted with aware/not aware. And the question is still unanswered, IMHO. Just shifted to a different question. Aware of what?

Was Ennis at nine aware that he was interested in men sexually? I highly doubt it. Was he interested in men as friends and best buddies? That brings us back to the definition of gay/not gay. And I am getting dizzy from the circular definitions. Or, perhaps, it is just too late at night to be philosophical.

I agree that IF a person is born gay, not being aware of it, does not change the gayness. The lack of awareness or understanding simply makes it more difficult to manage it. On the other hand, I also believe that being gay or not, a person's identity must necessarily transcend the label. The traumatic events, the pivotal moments, may have locked into the core of their identity what should have been but a mere appendix.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: fonsucu on Apr 21, 2008, 03:04 PM
Of course Ennis was gay. He was gay from the beginning, although he didn´t like the idea. He had seen as a child how society treatred perverts, after all. Straight  men don´t usually have sex with people of the same sex. Some do, though, but not very often, and certainly not for so long as Ennis did with Jack.
On the other hand, considerig Jack a gay character, in opposition to straight Ennis, is a bit construed. He´s just an easy-going, practical type, a kind of hedonist, less conventional. Ennis´s personality is much more complex and evolves along the years. I wouldn´t wonder if he ended up in the Gay Liberation Front!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Apr 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
Welcome to the forum fonsucu!

I must say that you may get into an "argument" here with some of the members as to Ennis.  But I tend to agree with you, even though I recognize that the ambiguity of the story and film only serves to enrich our appreciation for the complexity of each charcter...

:)

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 21, 2008, 06:07 PM
Of course Ennis was gay. He was gay from the beginning, although he didn´t like the idea. He had seen as a child how society treatred perverts, after all. Straight  men don´t usually have sex with people of the same sex. Some do, though, but not very often, and certainly not for so long as Ennis did with Jack.
On the other hand, considerig Jack a gay character, in opposition to straight Ennis, is a bit construed. He´s just an easy-going, practical type, a kind of hedonist, less conventional. Ennis´s personality is much more complex and evolves along the years. I wouldn´t wonder if he ended up in the Gay Liberation Front!

I'm with what Thomas has said regarding the thread's dynamic, and I pretty well share your opinion, fonsucu.

 #$# Hope you're well.  O0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Apr 21, 2008, 06:44 PM
Of course Ennis was gay. He was gay from the beginning, although he didn´t like the idea. He had seen as a child how society treatred perverts, after all. Straight  men don´t usually have sex with people of the same sex. Some do, though, but not very often, and certainly not for so long as Ennis did with Jack.
On the other hand, considerig Jack a gay character, in opposition to straight Ennis, is a bit construed. He´s just an easy-going, practical type, a kind of hedonist, less conventional. Ennis´s personality is much more complex and evolves along the years. I wouldn´t wonder if he ended up in the Gay Liberation Front!
I agree, I think what we are really trying to figure out is when did Ennis realise he had gay feelings?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: chameau on Apr 21, 2008, 06:51 PM
Well the way he looks at Jack at the very beginning of the movie and the glances in Aguire's trailer have some meaning to me, he was probably not concious of it yet but interested he looked like.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Apr 21, 2008, 07:03 PM
Oh yeah he looked but he sure didn't realise or accept it about himself. I think his first realisation of accepting his homosexual feelings was while sitting outside the tent before SNIT scene.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: chameau on Apr 21, 2008, 07:05 PM
That's it! :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Apr 21, 2008, 07:47 PM
 Yes, I believe his was aware of his same sex attraction as a child. I don't know  if one is born gay, but I don't think it's something that's chosen.
I dont think Ennis came to some great realization all of a sudden when he stole those glances  at Jack from under that cowboy hat in front of Aguirre's. I think the attraction for same sex attraction just sort of come to him early just as *straight* people's orientation is decided. When you know, you know. Something he saw in Jack stould out for him or at least a part of him that told him there was potential there.

 Perhaps the seed for potential  was planted early in Ennis, a strong awareness, but what he was taught and saw put the fear in him for what would happen to him if he even had an inkling about showing it or even admitting it to himself. He had to be a *man's man* cuz daddy sure let him know anything  other than that is bad news ..There was a price to pay for being "queer", maybe your very life. Earl and Rich's fate may have been seared into his brain, but so was their idea of two men ,living together, in a loving relationship reinforcing his own feelings of possibility even as a child. Maybe he saw  Earl and Rich and saw himself and via a child's mind saw and confirmed for him, that  He was'nt the only one, others had these feelings too....but he saw their fate also.

So he repressed it, only letting it surface again when he met Jack, the right person at the right time in the right place for him to do it. Possibilty? I'm speculating here.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Apr 21, 2008, 08:45 PM
Yes, I believe his was aware of his same sex attraction as a child. I don't know  if one is born gay, but I don't think it's something that's chosen.
I don't believe Ennis realised as a child or even early teens, Jack ignited that dormant spark in Ennis and once the realisation came there was no denying it. I though totally believe that you do not choose your sexuality.

I dont think Ennis came to some great realization all of a sudden when he stole those glances  at Jack from under that cowboy hat in front of Aguirre's. I think the attraction for same sex attraction just sort of come to him early just as *straight* people's orientation is decided. When you know, you know.
No it would not of been sudden, and even when he noticed Jack he probably would not have been aware that infact his attraction was real. Does one really know they are straight or is to be expected?

Something he saw in Jack stould out for him or at least a part of him that told him there was potential there
Oh yeah and that is what ignited the spark and Ennis couldn't resist or deny the feelings going through him.

Perhaps the seed for potential  was planted early in Ennis, a strong awareness, but what he was taught and saw put the fear in him for what would happen to him if he even had an inkling about showing it or even admitting it to himself. He had to be a *man's man* cuz daddy sure let him know anything  other than that is bad news ..There was a price to pay for being "queer", maybe your very life. Earl and Rich's fate may have been seared into his brain, but so was their idea of two men ,living together, in a loving relationship reinforcing his own feelings of possibility even as a child. Maybe he saw  Earl and Rich and saw himself and via a child's mind saw and confirmed for him, that  He was'nt the only one, others had these feelings too....but he saw their fate also.
Once he finally realised that he had same sex attraction yes this would have been his greatest fear, wether he had thought of the Earl/Rich experience since childhood or not it certainly would have surfaced again at this stage in his life.

So he repressed it, only letting it surface again when he met Jack, the right person at the right time in the right place for him to do it. Possibilty? I'm speculating here.
Yep right person, place, time. O0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Apr 22, 2008, 12:25 AM
I don't believe Ennis realised as a child or even early teens, Jack ignited that dormant spark in Ennis and once the realisation came there was no denying it. I though totally believe that you do not choose your sexuality.
No it would not of been sudden, and even when he noticed Jack he probably would not have been aware that infact his attraction was real. Does one really know they are straight or is to be expected?
Oh yeah and that is what ignited the spark and Ennis couldn't resist or deny the feelings going through him.
Once he finally realised that he had same sex attraction yes this would have been his greatest fear, wether he had thought of the Earl/Rich experience since childhood or not it certainly would have surfaced again at this stage in his life.
Yep right person, place, time. O0

I can only speak for myself, but as a child, I was very aware of my sexuality, even going far back as pre-teen-early teen days.  Does'nt mean I was sexually active one way or the other , but had a self-awareness of my sexuality. who I was attracted to and who I wanted. I just don't feel one wakes up one day after many years to  the fact that they  are attracted to a same-sex person like a bolt of lightning from the sky though. I believe many deal  with  it secretly everyday, but cannot find the courage or have a Brokeback type situation for themselves. people are in a daily struggle about letting the feelings surface or showing society that they id entify with being gay. It does'nt make them any less gay than  the person who's out to the world already. Just can't bring themself to act upon those feelings in the face of society for various reasons.. "I aint queer" and "boys like you" are examples of Ennis's reasoning  out things out for himself , when he does'nt have real answers regarding his ongoing conflict inside.  When he felt vulnerable to the fear.  He can reap all the benefits of a relationship with Jack accept the full acceptance of what it meant. Jack was'nt meeting himself  alone up  there in those woods in the middle of nowhere . Ennis was there acting upon what he knew to be the truth about himself. He wanted this and needed it.  The lengths he went to to be there, quitting jobs. marriages etc... This was not just a one shot, fly  by night deal. This was important and an essential part of his life.

Certain things had to be admitted, maybe not to society or even clearly to Jack, but to himself? I think he did admit it to himself at some point that he loved another man, but did he fully accept it? I think not.  Did that make him gay? I think so.  Sure , he had a homophobic father who wished death upon gays and taught that hate to Ennis, but how much did that have to do with who Ennis felt he was underneath all that hate. He maybe stubborn as a mule, but he could also appreciate a tender moment in Jack's arms.   Why did'nt Ennis react in the typical violent way when Jack initiated FNIT? or avoid Jack totally afterwards  if he believed what he father taught him. Nah,I feel he knew at a certain point, his father was wrong. It felt too right to be that wrong.  to deny Jack was to deny himself though he still felt forbidden. How could he harm someone so much a part of himself?

I feel the seed was planted early and lay repressed ,supressed and dormant out of fear of what could happen. Aside from all that who was Ennis Del Mar deep inside? A straight man who was hit with a reality? Or a  repressed gay man hit with the opportunity of a lifetime. Finally realizing he true self, actually living it and being allowed to feel it , finally finding what has always been missing because of one man , Jack, who simply added water to  that seed planted long ago to grow. Imo, the true test of one's true orientation  it grew and grew , no matter how he sought to control it.. He was getting something good for himself out of it.  Jack and Ennis's spanned close to 20 years. That's a true and lasting love to me.  just sayin...Proper.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: abigailhermina on Apr 22, 2008, 04:45 AM
Hallo  all the brokies!

I am new here- but I have been  following this forum for cca 2 eyars.. It shows my deep addiction I guess..
But back to the topics- for me is Ennis  gay and ever was..Maybe their days on Brokeback could be the type of " surrogate sexual behavior"- two boys , unexpirienced, about 20 years aod , on the top of their sexual needs, confused atc.. but in the moment of meeting after 4 years.- its obvious- Ennis prefers sex vith Jack although he as acces to "hetero" sex.. and there was always LOVE between this two boys, its undeniable..:-))
So- for me is man, who is in love with another man, prefers sex with the men, seeks so to speak "spiritual" connection with another man- GAY
P.S. Excuse my English  I am not native-speaker..
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Apr 22, 2008, 07:14 AM


Welcome abigailhermina , and thanks for the first post.  I personally tend to agree with what you said.

Wonderful exchanges here over the last few posts.  The question of consciousness and sexual identity is an intriguing one for me, because although I was aware early one (from personal experience), I have met people who claimed that they were not aware until much later.  The case of Ennis is sometimes a bit hard to read.  I guess one can go either way...  Whether Ennis was aware of such feelings since boyhood is certainly open to speculation.  For me, it is possible, but it is no more possible than he being unconsciously aware of it all.  But from personal experience, I would say that some level of awareness may have been there, even if it was unconsciously being suppressed.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Apr 22, 2008, 07:21 AM

Welcome abigailhermina , and thanks for the first post.  I personally tend to agree with what you said.

Wonderful exchanges here over the last few posts.  The question of consciousness and sexual identity is an intriguing one for me, because although I was aware early one (from personal experience), I have met people who claimed that they were not aware until much later.  The case of Ennis is sometimes a bit hard to read.  I guess one can go either way...  Whether Ennis was aware of such feelings since boyhood is certainly open to speculation.  For me, it is possible, but it is no more possible than he being unconsciously aware of it all.  But from personal experience, I would say that some level of awareness may have been there, even if it was unconsciously being suppressed.



I do think this post can play Libra to the whole thread. Where to draw the line between aware/unaware is based on just how aware one has become to their personal life and how aware one is that that life is not everyone else's. I am of the group that's known since a very early age, of his own sexuality. What didn't hit me was the 'difference' until later around the age of 10. I'm trying not to stray from the topic of Ennis' sexuality, so I'll stop. But certainly the notion of his unidentified (or as I like to think of it, unwelcomed) sexual nature is just as ticklish as that of his door having been opened (maybe clumsily) earlier on. Viewer discretion applies, but we can't really help that: this is media.

There are people like myself believing sexuality is genetic, and there are others.  :cr)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: fonsucu on Apr 22, 2008, 05:11 PM
It´s difficult to imagine what the former developments of a fictional character might or might not be, but alas, justified enough entrapped as we are in BBM meandering emotions. Neither story nor script give many details. Indeed just a couple for each. None of them got on well with his father. Can that fact have anything to do with the development of homosexuality? Or would the writer believe so?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Apr 23, 2008, 07:26 AM

I do think this post can play Libra to the whole thread. Where to draw the line between aware/unaware is based on just how aware one has become to their personal life and how aware one is that that life is not everyone else's. I am of the group that's known since a very early age, of his own sexuality. What didn't hit me was the 'difference' until later around the age of 10. I'm trying not to stray from the topic of Ennis' sexuality, so I'll stop. But certainly the notion of his unidentified (or as I like to think of it, unwelcomed) sexual nature is just as ticklish as that of his door having been opened (maybe clumsily) earlier on. Viewer discretion applies, but we can't really help that: this is media.

There are people like myself believing sexuality is genetic, and there are others.  :cr)

It´s difficult to imagine what the former developments of a fictional character might or might not be, but alas, justified enough entrapped as we are in BBM meandering emotions. Neither story nor script give many details. Indeed just a couple for each. None of them got on well with his father. Can that fact have anything to do with the development of homosexuality? Or would the writer believe so?

It is indeed difficult to acertain in the case of fiction, and as OT said, viewer discretion applies.  We usually see what we want or see what resoanted with our own experiences and motivations, if not our sexuality.

I can't really say anything definite about one of those classic notions on the development of homosexuality: the lack of a father figure.  Surely, there must be an element of truth in all this, but how much on an individual basis is hard to grasp...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Brokeback adoration on Jul 10, 2008, 09:50 AM
To me, it had actually always been very clear, that NON of the guys - Neither Jack or Ennis are gay.
Well, that is until, they find each other, of course. But still, even then I don't look at them at completely gay. I think, that Ennis is in love with Jack, and Jack is in love with Ennis - Non of them is in love with the men sex in general, if you know what I mean.

Ennis seems like a person, who is just starting to figure himself out. While Jack might have explored for a while - Even though you get clear signals that he is gay, I am pretty sure, he was never gay until he met Ennis.

Like Jake Gyllenhaal expresses it himself "i think the story is about two straight guys, who find each other in some way." They are fascinated of each other and bond - I do think, that they fall in love. It's clear to see, that Jack is fascinated of Ennis right from the beginning, but that does not mean, he is gay.

After the two of them part, Ennis never get a thing going with another guy - And yes, Jack on the other hand does. But the reasons why he starts to look at other men that way is that he misses Ennis. And when he can't have Ennis, maybe it's better to get close with someone who reminds him more of Ennis, which clearly an man does more than a woman.
I'm not saying that the experience with Ennis didn't made Jack gay - It might have did. But I've never doubted the fact, that before the two of them met, neither of them was gay.

Anyway, the point about this post is the fact, that I actually find it kind of ironic, that this movie is known as the "gay-cowboy" movie. Cause personally I don't think, the gay-part plays a big role at all. "Love is a force of nature" - Love is stronger than anything the society might expect from you. It does not matter what sex you are - Its about that connection between two people, that makes them fall in love.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Jul 10, 2008, 10:31 AM
To me, it had actually always been very clear, that NON of the guys - Neither Jack or Ennis are gay.
Well, that is until, they find each other, of course. But still, even then I don't look at them at completely gay. I think, that Ennis is in love with Jack, and Jack is in love with Ennis - Non of them is in love with the men sex in general, if you know what I mean.

Ennis seems like a person, who is just starting to figure himself out. While Jack might have explored for a while - Even though you get clear signals that he is gay, I am pretty sure, he was never gay until he met Ennis.

Like Jake Gyllenhaal expresses it himself "i think the story is about two straight guys, who find each other in some way." They are fascinated of each other and bond - I do think, that they fall in love. It's clear to see, that Jack is fascinated of Ennis right from the beginning, but that does not mean, he is gay.

After the two of them part, Ennis never get a thing going with another guy - And yes, Jack on the other hand does. But the reasons why he starts to look at other men that way is that he misses Ennis. And when he can't have Ennis, maybe it's better to get close with someone who reminds him more of Ennis, which clearly an man does more than a woman.
I'm not saying that the experience with Ennis didn't made Jack gay - It might have did. But I've never doubted the fact, that before the two of them met, neither of them was gay.

Anyway, the point about this post is the fact, that I actually find it kind of ironic, that this movie is known as the "gay-cowboy" movie. Cause personally I don't think, the gay-part plays a big role at all. "Love is a force of nature" - Love is stronger than anything the society might expect from you. It does not matter what sex you are - Its about that connection between two people, that makes them fall in love.
well im a bit wither way on this but over time ove came to beleive more and more that jack and ennis are gay, sure its impossible to tell, and the could be bo or even straight who knows? but i jsut feel not in my heart with that gut instinct they are gay... this is afterall the way annie proloux intended them she dubbed Ennis a "homophobic gay"...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Brokeback adoration on Jul 10, 2008, 10:47 AM
well im a bit wither way on this but over time ove came to beleive more and more that jack and ennis are gay, sure its impossible to tell, and the could be bo or even straight who knows? but i jsut feel not in my heart with that gut instinct they are gay... this is afterall the way annie proloux intended them she dubbed Ennis a "homophobic gay"...

I would love to read the book - I've gotten the idea from many of you, that it really changes your point of view and might make you understand the movie better. It's just such a shame, that it's nowhere to be found in a land like Denmark. I can't get in anywhere, even though I really want to.  :-\\
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: ksxks on Jul 10, 2008, 10:34 PM
I would love to read the book - I've gotten the idea from many of you, that it really changes your point of view and might make you understand the movie better. It's just such a shame, that it's nowhere to be found in a land like Denmark. I can't get in anywhere, even though I really want to.  :-\\

A big welcome, brokeback adoration!  I'm hoping you can get a copy of the book, and you will have even deeper feelings for this story.

kathy
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 11, 2008, 07:14 AM
To me, it had actually always been very clear, that NON of the guys - Neither Jack or Ennis are gay.
Well, that is until, they find each other, of course. But still, even then I don't look at them at completely gay. I think, that Ennis is in love with Jack, and Jack is in love with Ennis - Non of them is in love with the men sex in general, if you know what I mean.

Ennis seems like a person, who is just starting to figure himself out. While Jack might have explored for a while - Even though you get clear signals that he is gay, I am pretty sure, he was never gay until he met Ennis.

Like Jake Gyllenhaal expresses it himself "i think the story is about two straight guys, who find each other in some way." They are fascinated of each other and bond - I do think, that they fall in love. It's clear to see, that Jack is fascinated of Ennis right from the beginning, but that does not mean, he is gay.

After the two of them part, Ennis never get a thing going with another guy - And yes, Jack on the other hand does. But the reasons why he starts to look at other men that way is that he misses Ennis. And when he can't have Ennis, maybe it's better to get close with someone who reminds him more of Ennis, which clearly an man does more than a woman.
I'm not saying that the experience with Ennis didn't made Jack gay - It might have did. But I've never doubted the fact, that before the two of them met, neither of them was gay.

Anyway, the point about this post is the fact, that I actually find it kind of ironic, that this movie is known as the "gay-cowboy" movie. Cause personally I don't think, the gay-part plays a big role at all. "Love is a force of nature" - Love is stronger than anything the society might expect from you. It does not matter what sex you are - Its about that connection between two people, that makes them fall in love.

Welcome, Brokeback adoration.

As you can see by the length opf this thread, the answer is far from clear-cut -- at least for those of us here.  I hold a different opinion, in fact.  But I do acknowledge that all this is open to interpretation.  Even Jake was not perfectly clear-cut in his response.  As I had posted elsewhere, here is the relevant passage once more:

AboutFilm: You said you thought about whether Heath could pull it off. Did you ever question yourself, and what did you question in yourself?

Gyllenhaal: I always had an argument with Ang—not an argument, but he was always like, “Jack has had more experiences with guys before, and he's more gay of the two of them.” And I was like, “Wow, am I really going to be able to be the one who brings [Heath] into this, and comforts him somehow?” I'm just as skeptical of it also, so how am I going to emotionally go there? Like their scene in the tent where I'm like, “Come in here.” I know what I'm doing, but I have no idea what I'm doing with this, you know what I mean? I'm the one who initiates these sexual encounters—which to me was totally foreign. It's like, “How do you do this? Does it look right?” And, yeah, I consider it a real movement towards something to go to a place where you're like, “Oh, this is about intimacy between two people.” You're going to have to put [the other stuff] out of your mind, and I had doubts from the beginning whether that was going to work. I think it surprises people when I say, “I think these two guys are straight, and yet they find each other somewhere.” People are like, “What's that mean?” And I'm like, “I don't really know. I just think that we're both servicing a story that is so much bigger than both of us and everybody involved.”

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Jul 11, 2008, 08:15 PM
Welcome, Brokeback adoration.

As you can see by the length opf this thread, the answer is far from clear-cut -- at least for those of us here.  I hold a different opinion, in fact.  But I do acknowledge that all this is open to interpretation.  Even Jake was not perfectly clear-cut in his response.  As I had posted elsewhere, here is the relevant passage once more:

AboutFilm: You said you thought about whether Heath could pull it off. Did you ever question yourself, and what did you question in yourself?

Gyllenhaal: I always had an argument with Ang—not an argument, but he was always like, “Jack has had more experiences with guys before, and he's more gay of the two of them.” And I was like, “Wow, am I really going to be able to be the one who brings [Heath] into this, and comforts him somehow?” I'm just as skeptical of it also, so how am I going to emotionally go there? Like their scene in the tent where I'm like, “Come in here.” I know what I'm doing, but I have no idea what I'm doing with this, you know what I mean? I'm the one who initiates these sexual encounters—which to me was totally foreign. It's like, “How do you do this? Does it look right?” And, yeah, I consider it a real movement towards something to go to a place where you're like, “Oh, this is about intimacy between two people.” You're going to have to put [the other stuff] out of your mind, and I had doubts from the beginning whether that was going to work. I think it surprises people when I say, “I think these two guys are straight, and yet they find each other somewhere.” People are like, “What's that mean?” And I'm like, “I don't really know. I just think that we're both servicing a story that is so much bigger than both of us and everybody involved.”



I really like Jake's response. That was very well said. I love how he (sub)consciously buried just about every superficial mark leading up to fact that love is a force of nature. His mind fits beautifully in such handsome landscape.  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: aintfoolin on Jul 13, 2008, 02:58 AM
I really like Jake's response. That was very well said. I love how he (sub)consciously buried just about every superficial mark leading up to fact that love is a force of nature. His mind fits beautifully in such handsome landscape.  :)

 I am suprised to learn that even Jake did'nt really know how to approach this  thing so I feel he just approached it from the standpoint of  Two people who "found each other somewhere". Two people who just felt an unexplained, but undeniable intimacy towards each other. No lables or manuels needed. Like nature, sometimes it can't be understood, it's just there, an  uncontrolled, symphony of events culminating in a beautiful thing called love.

Sometimes I feel love sort of snuck up on both these guys, neither really being concious of what it was, when or how it happened. Think it was a surprise  to both in SNIT, when Ennis entered . I felt he was seeking confirmation from Jack that something had happened to them, him being the one most afraid to embrace love. Jack was the one who initiated sex in FNIT, but as intense as this was, it was about feelings first.  Both of them felt it , but neither could explain it. Gay or straight? What is love? who can explain the unexplainable.? Certainly not them. It's for bigger minds than ours.MO.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Jul 13, 2008, 08:55 AM
I am suprised to learn that even Jake did'nt really know how to approach this  thing so I feel he just approached it from the standpoint of  Two people who "found each other somewhere". Two people who just felt an unexplained, but undeniable intimacy towards each other. No lables or manuels needed. Like nature, sometimes it can't be understood, it's just there, an  uncontrolled, symphony of events culminating in a beautiful thing called love.

Sometimes I feel love sort of snuck up on both these guys, neither really being concious of what it was, when or how it happened. Think it was a surprise  to both in SNIT, when Ennis entered . I felt he was seeking confirmation from Jack that something had happened to them, him being the one most afraid to embrace love. Jack was the one who initiated sex in FNIT, but as intense as this was, it was about feelings first.  Both of them felt it , but neither could explain it. Gay or straight? What is love? who can explain the unexplainable.? Certainly not them. It's for bigger minds than ours.MO.

This is just beautiful, AF, and I totally agree with all my heart. Wow, you have moved me here.  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Jul 14, 2008, 07:57 AM
I am suprised to learn that even Jake did'nt really know how to approach this  thing so I feel he just approached it from the standpoint of  Two people who "found each other somewhere". Two people who just felt an unexplained, but undeniable intimacy towards each other. No lables or manuels needed. Like nature, sometimes it can't be understood, it's just there, an  uncontrolled, symphony of events culminating in a beautiful thing called love.

Sometimes I feel love sort of snuck up on both these guys, neither really being concious of what it was, when or how it happened. Think it was a surprise  to both in SNIT, when Ennis entered . I felt he was seeking confirmation from Jack that something had happened to them, him being the one most afraid to embrace love. Jack was the one who initiated sex in FNIT, but as intense as this was, it was about feelings first.  Both of them felt it , but neither could explain it. Gay or straight? What is love? who can explain the unexplainable.? Certainly not them. It's for bigger minds than ours.MO.
So well said and I feel no one can or ever will be able to explain the unexplainable.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 14, 2008, 08:03 AM
I really like Jake's response. That was very well said. I love how he (sub)consciously buried just about every superficial mark leading up to fact that love is a force of nature. His mind fits beautifully in such handsome landscape.  :)

Thanks orangetruck.  For me, the greatest beauty about Jake's response is the uncertainty.  He knows that ordinary words and concepts struggle to encapsulate a complex reality.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Brokeback adoration on Jul 21, 2008, 05:23 PM
Welcome, Brokeback adoration.

As you can see by the length opf this thread, the answer is far from clear-cut -- at least for those of us here.  I hold a different opinion, in fact.  But I do acknowledge that all this is open to interpretation.  Even Jake was not perfectly clear-cut in his response.  As I had posted elsewhere, here is the relevant passage once more:

AboutFilm: You said you thought about whether Heath could pull it off. Did you ever question yourself, and what did you question in yourself?

Gyllenhaal: I always had an argument with Ang—not an argument, but he was always like, “Jack has had more experiences with guys before, and he's more gay of the two of them.” And I was like, “Wow, am I really going to be able to be the one who brings [Heath] into this, and comforts him somehow?” I'm just as skeptical of it also, so how am I going to emotionally go there? Like their scene in the tent where I'm like, “Come in here.” I know what I'm doing, but I have no idea what I'm doing with this, you know what I mean? I'm the one who initiates these sexual encounters—which to me was totally foreign. It's like, “How do you do this? Does it look right?” And, yeah, I consider it a real movement towards something to go to a place where you're like, “Oh, this is about intimacy between two people.” You're going to have to put [the other stuff] out of your mind, and I had doubts from the beginning whether that was going to work. I think it surprises people when I say, “I think these two guys are straight, and yet they find each other somewhere.” People are like, “What's that mean?” And I'm like, “I don't really know. I just think that we're both servicing a story that is so much bigger than both of us and everybody involved.”



Thanks!

And thank you for bringing that quote - I think Jake is describing it all in a really amazing way. ;)
I guess I got very inspired by that “I think these two guys are straight, and yet they find each other somewhere.”
There is a lot of interesting insights in Jake's quotes, I think.
And I do have to say that after reading the book (I got it from some of you very nice people in here  :) ) I actually did change my opinion on many things about the story and movie. Many things are, in some ways, more clear to me now.

(and I'm sorry, that my English isn't that good  ~))
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Brokeback adoration on Jul 21, 2008, 05:26 PM
A big welcome, brokeback adoration!  I'm hoping you can get a copy of the book, and you will have even deeper feelings for this story.

kathy

Thanks Kathy.
I did get a copy of the book, and it changed my sight on things.  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Brokeback adoration on Jul 21, 2008, 05:33 PM
I am suprised to learn that even Jake did'nt really know how to approach this  thing so I feel he just approached it from the standpoint of  Two people who "found each other somewhere". Two people who just felt an unexplained, but undeniable intimacy towards each other. No lables or manuels needed. Like nature, sometimes it can't be understood, it's just there, an  uncontrolled, symphony of events culminating in a beautiful thing called love.

Sometimes I feel love sort of snuck up on both these guys, neither really being concious of what it was, when or how it happened. Think it was a surprise  to both in SNIT, when Ennis entered . I felt he was seeking confirmation from Jack that something had happened to them, him being the one most afraid to embrace love. Jack was the one who initiated sex in FNIT, but as intense as this was, it was about feelings first.  Both of them felt it , but neither could explain it. Gay or straight? What is love? who can explain the unexplainable.? Certainly not them. It's for bigger minds than ours.MO.

That's really well said.  :)
Like the part of Jake's quote, I just think that we're both servicing a story that is so much bigger than both of us and everybody involved. It is a great point of view.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 22, 2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks!

And thank you for bringing that quote - I think Jake is describing it all in a really amazing way. ;)
I guess I got very inspired by that “I think these two guys are straight, and yet they find each other somewhere.”
There is a lot of interesting insights in Jake's quotes, I think.
And I do have to say that after reading the book (I got it from some of you very nice people in here  :) ) I actually did change my opinion on many things about the story and movie. Many things are, in some ways, more clear to me now.

(and I'm sorry, that my English isn't that good  ~))

IO think that, above all, it was a very honest, unnuanced response.  Nothing cerebral -- just plain gut feeling.  Once can't argue with a gut feeling.  It is visceral -- with no need for logical underpinnings.


I do think that the book and the film complement each other nicely.  They are not perfectly alike -- but that is their mutual strength.

Your english is very good. ;)

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 20, 2008, 10:49 PM
I just came across Lee Harris' essay on Brokeback Mountain, from BBBoy's post back in 2006. It is beautifully written: http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=011606D

And it's worth quoting the last three paragraphs:

Quote
There was no other outcome to the story that was possible. To try to turn Brokeback Mountain into a "gay polemic" is not only to insult the human dignity of the imaginary characters of Jack and Ennis; it is to insult the dignity of all those men who have tried to rebel, as Jack and Ennis did, against the dehumanizing effects of those two words "homosexual" and "heterosexual" -- words that, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, did not even exist in the English language before 1900, but which now hang heavily and oppressively over all of us.

The French philosopher Michel Foucault, in his History of Sexuality, argued that we live not in an age of sexual liberation, but in an age of sexual repression -- a subtle form of repression, however, in that it works by forcing us to define our identity in terms of a preexisting conceptual system that has been devised for us by the triumphant psychotherapeutic establishment. Thus, a boy growing up in America today must constantly be asking himself, "Am I a homosexual or am I a heterosexual" -- an interior interrogation that no boys have ever been forced to enact. Is this liberation? Or is it psychological oppression of a peculiarly insidious nature?

What the two cowboys of Brokeback Mountain were rebelling against was not being forced into normal marriage by society, but against being forced to define their humanity in accordance with other people's ideas of what they should call themselves. They simply wanted to be treated and looked upon like men -- not as queers or homosexuals or gays -- but simply men. That is what gives their story such poignancy and nobility. Had they been merely puppets in a gay polemic, then their love for one another would have lacked the tragic intensity that it possessed, and the movie itself would be stripped of its haunting grandeur. But Ennis and Jack were not puppets; they were real human beings caught in a tragic dilemma, and it is this that makes Brokeback Mountain a genuine work of art, and not a piece of propaganda, however well-intentioned.

Ennis and Jack were real human beings...I love that.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Aug 21, 2008, 07:37 AM
     Dear Andrew - that essay, above, is a gem, and critical to re-thinking the history of male/male relationships.  I'd quibble a little with the writer's saying, based on the Oxford dictionary, the words "homosexual" and "heterosexual" did not exist before 1900.  As best as I can tell, the first, homosexual, was beginning to be used by 1870, and may even have been invented so that Parliament could enact laws against gays. It was, by the way, the last constitutional crisis of the monarchy, as Queen Victoria refused to sign the bill, saying lesbians could not possibly exist.  It was discreetly amended, and she signed, which was the last time a monarch broke the constitutional understanding that had evolved. Sex between women continued legal, on the grounds that that didn't exist, anyway (it was either accepting that or arguing with an aging, grumpy queen).
  Even so, it is a direct hit, on target.  The definition, so technical, had never existed before.  Sodomites or "buggers" were mentioned, but this was believed to be optional  behavior.  With the invention of the word "homosexual", the iron curtain fell.  And we've been playing by those new rules ever since.  Brokeback Mountain, then, forced us to revisit what was there before the invention and strict application of....new words.
  By having Ennis and Jack having successful physical relations with women, and by their being fairly virile, we were tossed back into the world before the late 19th century.  And what have we done?  Followed the new rules.  Was Ennis....gay?
  Thanks, again, Andrew.  Although I had trouble with the dating of the mind-control revolution on this subject, I saw, for the first time, how it came to be.  You are VERY good at researching stuff.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 21, 2008, 07:42 AM
I just came across Lee Harris' essay on Brokeback Mountain, from BBBoy's post back in 2006. It is beautifully written: http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=011606D

And it's worth quoting the last three paragraphs:

Ennis and Jack were real human beings...I love that.

But I don't agree with the statement that the terms "homosexual" or "heterosexual" are dehumanizing.  It is as dehumanizing as calling an American "Republican" or "Democrat", even though we all know that not all Republicans (and not all Democtrats) agree with each other on many issues.  So is it wrong to label someone "Republican" or "Democrat"?  Does it dehumanize the individual?  No.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 21, 2008, 07:47 AM
[...]  By having Ennis and Jack having successful physical relations with women, and by their being fairly virile, we were tossed back into the world before the late 19th century.  And what have we done?  Followed the new rules.  Was Ennis....gay?
  Thanks, again, Andrew.  Although I had trouble with the dating of the mind-control revolution on this subject, I saw, for the first time, how it came to be.  You are VERY good at researching stuff.

Thanks, Tony, but I cannot take the credit. The essay came from BBBoy. He posted it almost two years ago. I just came across it serendipitously, and the bloodhound that I am, can't let go of the "Was Ennis gay?" question. So here we are.

You, on the other hand, my friend, is an encyclopedia of information.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 21, 2008, 07:51 AM
But I don't agree with the statement that the terms "homosexual" or "heterosexual" are dehumanizing.  It is as dehumanizing as calling an American "Republican" or "Democrat", even though we all know that not all Republicans (and not all Democtrats) agree with each other on many issues.  So is it wrong to label someone "Republican" or "Democrat"?  Does it dehumanize the individual?  No.


Sorry, tpe, I did not want to start the labels debate again, just wanted to quote the last part of that essay, that Ennis and Jack were real human beings.

Neither you nor Tony commented on that, so I will come out and say my own punch line...they were fictional characters that became real.

And the reason, because they defy the labels...homosexual, heterosexual, Republican, Democrat,...all labels dehumanizes to the extent that they make the human being smaller to fit into the pigeonhole of that label, cutting away all the other meaningful parts, the relationships, the characters, the real part of the person.

Just my two cents worth, and I just love quoting that sentence...like Ang Lee said, it just rolls off the tongue so well...

Ennis and Jack are real human beings.... <^(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 21, 2008, 07:57 AM
No problem lance.  I was just voicing my disagreement with the author cited, but I do understand the point of view. 

To the extent that you describe it here, labels are certainly "limiting".  But to limit is to define, and sometimes, we do need to define or to model, as is done is the sciences in all cases.  As in Physics: does it really matter whether an "atom" exists or not?  The answer is no -- but we define the concept of an atom anyway (even though it is only an approximate or paradigm of reality) because we can get so much good and so much power/understanding out of such a definition.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: smartestsonia on Aug 25, 2008, 02:22 AM
I personally feel that Ennis was a bisexual...I mean he was attracted towards Jack but dint wana give in to it...jack is a Gay and expressive by nature.,..ennis was scared as to the killing he saw as a kid...even if he would be gay for sure he would have not expressed himself completely due to his fear...Although as he was on BrokeBack Mountain and no one could see them there and he was strongly attracted to Jack and comforted by him, they made love..
Now he did care for Alma and his kids too..I think that if Jack would not have come into his life them he would never express his Homosexual feelings at all....
so I feel that Jack is gay for sure as he even went to Mexico whenever he was lonely and as he dint get Ennis's love that often he filled that gap by going to Male Prostitutes...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 25, 2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks for sharing this,  smartestsonia.  Bisexuality in Ennis is something that I think quite plausible, although I admit that I also think it was also plausible in the case of Jack.  The difference was that Ennis could deprive himself of one aspect of desire for long stretches, whereas Jack couldn't...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Aug 25, 2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for sharing this,  smartestsonia.  Bisexuality in Ennis is something that I think quite plausible, although I admit that I also think it was also plausible in the case of Jack.  The difference was that Ennis could deprive himself of one aspect of desire for long stretches, whereas Jack couldn't...


ive whent over in my head so many times wether jack and ennis were gay bisexual or whatever its even possible they were straight and fell in love and when i first watched BBM i teneded to think of them as bisexual or straight men that fell in love but now as time has passed and ive had more time to process things i tend tobeleive they were both gay but i wouldnt say i dont beleive there is a chance they were bisexual or straight, who knows? i dont really think its all that integral to the storyline...

p.s.
i forgot to mention one reason i tend to think of them as gay over other things is that annie proloux has said they are gay, well i know at least she has said that about ennis when she said he was both gay and homophobic, im not sure about jack... but surely the creator of the characters in effect is the characters therefor if proloux says ennis is gay, that should mean he is gay, right?

oh god ive jut waffled  %&)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Aug 25, 2008, 11:38 AM
I think the difficulty in defining Ennis properly is the same difficulty in defining human behaviour; mostly when the personality is as complex and deep as was his own.More than "putting a label" in this sense,I'd define them as some"more or less sexual persons",but not exactly bi,hetero or homo.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: smartestsonia on Aug 26, 2008, 02:15 AM
Thanks for sharing this,  smartestsonia.  Bisexuality in Ennis is something that I think quite plausible, although I admit that I also think it was also plausible in the case of Jack.  The difference was that Ennis could deprive himself of one aspect of desire for long stretches, whereas Jack couldn't...


I agree tpe...However, Jack did want to stay with Ennis and wanted a life together...it did cross his mind....Ennis was too sacred for that...That is why Jack would be friendly with other men as that would give him temorary satisfaction...Ennis kept fighting with himself to resist those feelings....They both fought it in their own different ways throughout their lives...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 26, 2008, 07:37 AM
ive whent over in my head so many times wether jack and ennis were gay bisexual or whatever its even possible they were straight and fell in love and when i first watched BBM i teneded to think of them as bisexual or straight men that fell in love but now as time has passed and ive had more time to process things i tend tobeleive they were both gay but i wouldnt say i dont beleive there is a chance they were bisexual or straight, who knows? i dont really think its all that integral to the storyline...

p.s.
i forgot to mention one reason i tend to think of them as gay over other things is that annie proloux has said they are gay, well i know at least she has said that about ennis when she said he was both gay and homophobic, im not sure about jack... but surely the creator of the characters in effect is the characters therefor if proloux says ennis is gay, that should mean he is gay, right?

oh god ive jut waffled  %&)

Matt like you, I also think that they were gay.  I did interpret Proulx's comments along the same lines, athough I readily admit that even these statements are open to interpretation.  So I guess my interpretations are -- in the end -- very personal ones.  They reflect more about who I am more than anything else...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 26, 2008, 07:39 AM
I think the difficulty in defining Ennis properly is the same difficulty in defining human behaviour; mostly when the personality is as complex and deep as was his own.More than "putting a label" in this sense,I'd define them as some"more or less sexual persons",but not exactly bi,hetero or homo.

This is certainly valid, MPJ.  Sexuality is, in general, much more ambiguous than most people make it out to be, although I have no doubt that sexual preferences are more defined in a lot of people out there, whether straight or gay.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 26, 2008, 07:43 AM
I agree tpe...However, Jack did want to stay with Ennis and wanted a life together...it did cross his mind....Ennis was too sacred for that...That is why Jack would be friendly with other men as that would give him temorary satisfaction...Ennis kept fighting with himself to resist those feelings....They both fought it in their own different ways throughout their lives...

I agree that BOTH of them fought it in their own way throughout their lives.  As you said, Jack responded to it by opening up to what he desired.  So to him, the fight was more about trying to get himself the life he wanted to lead -- in spite of all the odds stacked up against him.  In the case of Ennis, I agree that it was more an act of resistance, although I have no doubt that he desired as much as Jack...

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: atalley on Aug 30, 2008, 10:56 AM
I think they were both gay.  The difference...Jack knew it; Ennis did not (or would not admit it to himself).
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Aug 31, 2008, 01:00 PM
I think they were both gay.  The difference...Jack knew it; Ennis did not (or would not admit it to himself).
I agree ¡.But the difference I'd made is that Ennis wasn't so much aware of his own sexuality-and give it the label you want to...-than Jack was.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Aug 31, 2008, 09:07 PM
I agree ¡.But the difference I'd made is that Ennis wasn't so much aware of his own sexuality-and give it the label you want to...-than Jack was.
Yeah it was Jack that ignited this spark.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Sep 01, 2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah it was Jack that ignited this spark.

Of course,he was...But I wonder if Ennis sooner or later would have had this spark burning not having met Jack.I've always thought that it was something that was hidden inside him,but perhaps the situation to go out never had been so clear as in BBM with Jack... ???

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Sep 01, 2008, 10:53 AM
I think the difficulty in defining Ennis properly is the same difficulty in defining human behaviour; mostly when the personality is as complex and deep as was his own.More than "putting a label" in this sense,I'd define them as some"more or less sexual persons",but not exactly bi,hetero or homo.

mpj, I am pretty sure Annie Proulx used almost the same words when answering that question in an interview. Labels are great defining simple things. But when simplistic labels are applied to complex phenomena, they are crude approximations at best, and out-right erroneous the rest of the time.

ive whent over in my head so many times wether jack and ennis were gay bisexual or whatever its even possible they were straight and fell in love and when i first watched BBM i teneded to think of them as bisexual or straight men that fell in love but now as time has passed and ive had more time to process things i tend tobeleive they were both gay but i wouldnt say i dont beleive there is a chance they were bisexual or straight, who knows? i dont really think its all that integral to the storyline...

p.s.
i forgot to mention one reason i tend to think of them as gay over other things is that annie proloux has said they are gay, well i know at least she has said that about ennis when she said he was both gay and homophobic, im not sure about jack... but surely the creator of the characters in effect is the characters therefor if proloux says ennis is gay, that should mean he is gay, right?

oh god ive jut waffled  %&)

Although I tend to agree that their sexuality were determined by genetic predisposition, I am also of the opinion that their expression of that sexuality can vary, depending on their personality. And as their personality evolve and change, so too, their expression of who they were. Ennis, in my opinion, was not gay before Brokeback Mountain. He would probably continue with Alma forever if he never met Jack. He may never find the love and passion that he shared with Jack, but I think he would have been happy and loving.

Meeting Jack changed him, forever, and he was gay coming down that Brokeback Mountain, sullen and angrey, confused and love-sick.

Jack was, of course, as Ang Lee said to Jake, the more gay of the two...which implies that Ennis was also gay, if at least a little...

So I guess I am waffling here too. But, this begs the question, how can a man be a little gay?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Sep 01, 2008, 04:53 PM
Of course,he was...But I wonder if Ennis sooner or later would have had this spark burning not having met Jack.I've always thought that it was something that was hidden inside him,but perhaps the situation to go out never had been so clear as in BBM with Jack... ???


Oh I do wonder this myself not only with ennis and jack but in similar real life situations. :s)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Sep 02, 2008, 01:31 AM
Oh I do wonder this myself not only with ennis and jack but in similar real life situations. :s)

That's a good question. I have been wondering that myself. It started when I wondered how did Jack know that Ennis was the one, or did Jack know? What gave him the signals to throw caution to the wind, and risk everything in FNIT? Once it was over, even before SNIT, he seemed confident on the mountain, waiting for Ennis, and the subsequent "I ain't queer" conversation.

It would make more sense of his courage to go after Ennis, and his hope for twenty years. But why did he give up that spring, after their last meeting? Did he have doubt at that point? Did he meet someone else? Can the spark between them have died down with age and time? So many questions, so few answers.

With Ennis, I think it may be easier, because I doubt anyone else has exactly the right combination of everything to spark ignition in Ennis. So, without Jack, he'd be one of those people who live out their life of quiet desperation without ever knowing true love with passion, just loving relationships, and devoted friendships, like with Don Wroe, and his daughters.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 02, 2008, 07:25 AM
Oh I do wonder this myself not only with ennis and jack but in similar real life situations. :s)

I tend to think that in many real life situations where people are "in the closet", a catalyst does come along where the person is impelled to respond to his or her true feelings.  What happens after that usually depends on the social support surrounding these individuals, or the lack thereof.  IN certain situaltions, it is quite traumatic, which even pushes them deeper into the closet.

In a way, Ennis was lucky.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: rimasworld on Sep 02, 2008, 12:13 PM
That's a good question. I have been wondering that myself. It started when I wondered how did Jack know that Ennis was the one, or did Jack know? What gave him the signals to throw caution to the wind, and risk everything in FNIT? Once it was over, even before SNIT, he seemed confident on the mountain, waiting for Ennis, and the subsequent "I ain't queer" conversation.

It would make more sense of his courage to go after Ennis, and his hope for twenty years. But why did he give up that spring, after their last meeting? Did he have doubt at that point? Did he meet someone else? Can the spark between them have died down with age and time? So many questions, so few answers.

With Ennis, I think it may be easier, because I doubt anyone else has exactly the right combination of everything to spark ignition in Ennis. So, without Jack, he'd be one of those people who live out their life of quiet desperation without ever knowing true love with passion, just loving relationships, and devoted friendships, like with Don Wroe, and his daughters.

I don't think Jack gave up on Ennis, sometimes confrontations are necessary in a relationship especially for these two who didn't share a lot of their feelings with each other so there was miscommunication and that is always cause for some pent up bad feelings.  That aside, Jack's love for Ennis was too strong to give up on him, this was his soulmate, believe me you know when you have that, it is a feeling like no other. The storms are part of the sunshine, but you weather them through and it's worth it because you get so much back in return. Sure the sparks turn to smoldering embers with time, but the love remains and the devotion and caring for that other person becomes even stronger. And every so often, that little spark turns into a flame once again.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: babytammy7 on Sep 02, 2008, 04:15 PM
I don't think Jack gave up on Ennis, sometimes confrontations are necessary in a relationship especially for these two who didn't share a lot of their feelings with each other so there was miscommunication and that is always cause for some pent up bad feelings.  That aside, Jack's love for Ennis was too strong to give up on him, this was his soulmate, believe me you know when you have that, it is a feeling like no other. The storms are part of the sunshine, but you weather them through and it's worth it because you get so much back in return. Sure the sparks turn to smoldering embers with time, but the love remains and the devotion and caring for that other person becomes even stronger. And every so often, that little spark turns into a flame once again.

I totally agree with you!!  ^f^

Andrew, of course Jack was with somebody else, Randall, and he talked about him to his parents. But it was because Jack was mad, hurting, desperate, a walking death man, without hopes and dreams. But I think he never never never gave up on Ennis. He didn't give up after their goodbye in Signal; he didn't give up after the divorce scene; he didn't give up when Ennis laughed at his proposal about moving to Texas. So, believe me, he didn't give up that last time either. You can see that he didn't destroy the shirts when he went to LF after that last confrontation; he didn't say to Lureen that BBM was not his favorite place no more and that he didn't want his ashes there.

I think Jack would have shown that November. I'm sure he wanted once to give up, but he simply could not. JMHO. Thank you.  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 03, 2008, 07:34 AM
Well, I also think that Jack never stpped loving Ennis, and that Jack had always tried to accept who Ennis was deep down: a person very much conflicted in terms of identity and sexuality, but someone who can love deeply, if not perfectly.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Sep 03, 2008, 09:18 AM
Well, I also think that Jack never stpped loving Ennis, and that Jack had always tried to accept who Ennis was deep down: a person very much conflicted in terms of identity and sexuality, but someone who can love deeply, if not perfectly.

That what loving someone is,no?.To try to accept them with their mistakes and faults,because they're also a part of this person who have arrived to love.And I think Jack knew perfectly well how much conflicted Ennis was,but also how much he was able to love.To love him.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Sep 04, 2008, 12:27 AM
That what loving someone is,no?.To try to accept them with their mistakes and faults,because they're also a part of this person who have arrived to love.And I think Jack knew perfectly well how much conflicted Ennis was,but also how much he was able to love.To love him.

Yup. That's why some of the greatest tragic love stories come from people who cannot stop loving someone, even when they know the other person is bad or terrible in every way. In this sense, love is blind, as orangetruck posted in the What is love thread.

Jack loved Ennis, with all his faults. His confusion is minor compared to some of the more abusive, and villainous qualities of tragic love.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 04, 2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks MPJ and lance.

If there is anything that transcended their faults, it was surely that love.  In the context of that love, the question of sexual orientation is not really that important.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Sep 04, 2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks MPJ and lance.

If there is anything that transcended their faults, it was surely that love.  In the context of that love, the question of sexual orientation is not really that important.

I totally agree with that.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 04, 2008, 07:48 AM
I totally agree with that.

I think we call this love transcendent.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Sep 04, 2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks MPJ and lance.

If there is anything that transcended their faults, it was surely that love.  In the context of that love, the question of sexual orientation is not really that important.
I totally agree with that.

I agree too¡ . :clap:  The most important thing is the magnitude of this love; labels are done for and to narrow-minded people.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Sep 05, 2008, 12:38 AM
I think we call this love transcendent.
:s) Hmmm may I quote you and Emerson, perhaps, Ennis was transcendental. His love for Jack was not about just the sex, if it were, in which case, he would be gay. But as you said, his love was transcendent, which makes him transcendental.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 05, 2008, 07:41 AM
:s) Hmmm may I quote you and Emerson, perhaps, Ennis was transcendental. His love for Jack was not about just the sex, if it were, in which case, he would be gay. But as you said, his love was transcendent, which makes him transcendental.

Hello lance!  Well, truthfull, gayness is not just about sex.  It is a whole world of feeling.  But I think I know what you mean.  It is certainly Emersonian!

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Sep 05, 2008, 08:37 PM
Hello lance!  Well, truthfull, gayness is not just about sex.  It is a whole world of feeling.  But I think I know what you mean.  It is certainly Emersonian!


Yup. That's for sure. Zach is gay not just because of the sex, but his feelings for Shaun.

Ennis, in that case, is gay...

but, perhaps, transcendentally gay because his love transcends life and death, perfection or faults, distance or time. It reaches back twenty years, across state lines and vast distances, even beyond the grave.

I guess, in a way, the same transcendental love is what brings us all here, holds us altogether, after all this time.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Sep 08, 2008, 08:21 AM
Yup. That's for sure. Zach is gay not just because of the sex, but his feelings for Shaun.

Ennis, in that case, is gay...

but, perhaps, transcendentally gay because his love transcends life and death, perfection or faults, distance or time. It reaches back twenty years, across state lines and vast distances, even beyond the grave.

I guess, in a way, the same transcendental love is what brings us all here, holds us altogether, after all this time.

Yes, to be sure.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Oct 23, 2008, 07:40 AM
I tend to think that in many real life situations where people are "in the closet", a catalyst does come along where the person is impelled to respond to his or her true feelings.  What happens after that usually depends on the social support surrounding these individuals, or the lack thereof.  IN certain situaltions, it is quite traumatic, which even pushes them deeper into the closet.

In a way, Ennis was lucky.

 

Eerily true.  :-\\
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Oct 23, 2008, 07:50 AM
Eerily true.  :-\\

In a way, he might have realized how lucky he was with Jack, but his reluctance showed that he did not put great stock to Fortune.  :(

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Oct 25, 2008, 10:40 AM
Historically and culturally,  the concepts of "gay" and "straight",  even "bi-sexual" are quite recent innovations and largely restricted to the Judaeo-Christian-Muslim world.   Other societies recognise, or at least assume,  that every human being has the potential to enjoy sex with someone of the same sex.   And even in this society,  it is far more common for men to dally with one another (even when their primary drive is towards women) in the right circumstances than the Establishment cares to admit.   The plot of BBM is genuine;  I know this both from numerous personal experiences and through anecdotal evidence.   Classifying people according to their sexual preference is too easy and has little to do with reality.  For Ennis,  there is a mythical "queer" who bears a set of stereotypical traits and who fundamentally responds sexually to other men,  but not to women.   Ennis knows himself to be attracted to women and knows himself to be free of the stereotypical characteristics which identify a "queer".   So his remark "I ain't queer" must be stated in order to absolve himself of any such identity;  "This is a one-shot thing" suggests he intends to play around in the absence of any females (like masturbating when there's no sexual outlet available),  but not make a habit of it thereafter.  I've had numerous sexual experiences over the years with self-proclaimed "straight" men who were happy to roll in the hay with another fellow,  so long as it was made clear that no-one else must know and that no negative label be applied to their identity.   I know of so very, very many examples of this that I believe Annie Proulx revealed a deep truth about human practice in that short,  simple story.  Ennis is only human.

Happened into this and had to quote. Excellent. Thanks lachlan  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Ranchand1 on Oct 25, 2008, 03:23 PM
      Just wanted to say...damn good post to quote. 

      From someone who's seen if the grass is greener from both sides of the fence.  Hates labels.  An doesn't fit naturally into any stereotype.  Here's to ya lachlan.

       Thanks for the quote OT.  Had completely missed this.

        Was Ennis gay?  SURE!  Maybe..  I don't know.

        In the Ennis way, he loved Jack.  An in the Ennis way, loved Alma.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: topoex on Oct 26, 2008, 12:58 AM
      Just wanted to say...damn good post to quote. 

      From someone who's seen if the grass is greener from both sides of the fence.  Hates labels.  An doesn't fit naturally into any stereotype.  Here's to ya lachlan.

       Thanks for the quote OT.  Had completely missed this.

        Was Ennis gay?  SURE!  Maybe..  I don't know.

        In the Ennis way, he loved Jack.  An in the Ennis way, loved Alma.

i've been reading a lot of stuff in this forum, but i when i read this i couldn't help laugh.   ennis saying "i not queer", but what does that word mean to him?  it's like someone ask me here in this forum how out was i.  it's all in heart of the person who's being asked that question.  we don't know what ennis means by queer.   We label ourselves tops, bottoms, flaming, flamboyant, bears, cubs, being on the down low,  so many labels,  damn did i miss any?  it all comes down to how we see ourselves.     what would he say?   that he loved once, and his name was jack.  so i take ennis at his word he's not queer (whatever that means to him),  we only be guessing at the rest. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Oct 26, 2008, 08:47 AM
i've been reading a lot of stuff in this forum, but i when i read this i couldn't help laugh.   ennis saying "i not queer", but what does that word mean to him?  it's like someone ask me here in this forum how out was i.  it's all in heart of the person who's being asked that question.  we don't know what ennis means by queer.   We label ourselves tops, bottoms, flaming, flamboyant, bears, cubs, being on the down low,  so many labels,  damn did i miss any?  it all comes down to how we see ourselves.     what would he say?   that he loved once, and his name was jack.  so i take ennis at his word he's not queer (whatever that means to him),  we only be guessing at the rest. 

 :ghug: topoex  :ghug: :^^) ^f^ beautifully said words of the heart. I am so glad you found your way to ennsjack.  :ghug: I love that last phrase...we only be guessing at the rest...succinctly wrapping up Ennis in a nugget of bittersweet truth that's delicious and gut-wrenching.  :ghug:

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Oct 26, 2008, 09:15 AM
:ghug: topoex  :ghug: :^^) ^f^ beautifully said words of the heart. I am so glad you found your way to ennsjack.  :ghug: I love that last phrase...we only be guessing at the rest...succinctly wrapping up Ennis in a nugget of bittersweet truth that's delicious and gut-wrenching.  :ghug:



Glad to know you've invited a friend to the forum, lc.

A good element of neutrality is like dairy in milk. Real.

Good luck in whatever you do, top.  :c)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Oct 26, 2008, 09:30 AM
Glad to know you've invited a friend to the forum, lc.

A good element of neutrality is like dairy in milk. Real.

Good luck in whatever you do, top.  :c)

Not sure what you been putting in the milk, Justin.  :) Topoex found his way here, if I recall correctly, by searching on the web with a friend of his after watching Brokeback Mountain with his partner.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Oct 26, 2008, 10:03 AM
Not sure what you been putting in the milk, Justin.  :) Topoex found his way here, if I recall correctly, by searching on the web with a friend of his after watching Brokeback Mountain with his partner.




I mean a friend of the forum is a friend of the forum member. Yeah?

I think you recall correctly, too.

Neutrality, as I meant, is something you have welcomed into your perception of Brokeback Mountain. And I didn't know that about you before topoex's post here. That's all. Tongue and cheek.

The rest was lactose intolerant metaphor which you may as well ignore.

 :)

You make a good point, top. Thanks.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Oct 26, 2008, 11:37 AM
 ::) Let be, let be.  :c)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: orangetruck on Oct 26, 2008, 11:48 AM
::) Let be, let be.  :c)

That's right.

Yeah, Ennis kinda did that too. But not by choice.  :c)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Godfather420 on Feb 14, 2009, 08:03 PM
I would have to say Ennis is gay. Growing up he was "scared straight". But in the woods where noone is looking anything goes. So, Off With His Pants!. lol. He even likes to take Alma from behind. You see him check out Jack as he rides away on his horse. He has just kept it bottled in for so long he's a natural when it comes to hiding it. therein lies the brilliant acting by Heath Ledger (R.I.P.).
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 17, 2009, 09:32 AM
I would have to say Ennis is gay. Growing up he was "scared straight". But in the woods where noone is looking anything goes. So, Off With His Pants!. lol. ...

 ;D  That's an interesting way of putting it, Godfather420.  :)



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Feb 21, 2009, 12:15 PM
I think that Ennis was simply a person whom his father's influences and the circumstances made him have a kind of hate-atraction relationship about homosexuality.It's a well-known fact that forbidding something without a reason produces a wish of knowing it better,as well as a rejection,in a strange mixture of feelings and sensations.Ennis was an homophobic man disguised of gay,disguised at its turn of straight.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 23, 2009, 08:52 AM
I think that Ennis was simply a person whom his father's influences and the circumstances made him have a kind of hate-atraction relationship about homosexuality.It's a well-known fact that forbidding something without a reason produces a wish of knowing it better,as well as a rejection,in a strange mixture of feelings and sensations.Ennis was an homophobic man disguised of gay,disguised at its turn of straight.

Did the 9-year old Ennis have any conscious knowledge of his own sexual identity?  Frankly, I don't think so -- at least not consciously.  But the Earl and Rich expisode clearly embedded itself deeply in his psyche, and this would lead of conflict later on.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Feb 23, 2009, 09:00 AM
Did the 9-year old Ennis have any conscious knowledge of his own sexual identity?  Frankly, I don't think so -- at least not consciously.  But the Earl and Rich expisode clearly embedded itself deeply in his psyche, and this would lead of conflict later on.

I don't think that Ennis was gay, but it is surprising how he knew what to do with Jack?! That means that knowledge about Earl and Rich gave that 9-year old a pretty good idea...

Btw, 9-year old can have conscious knowledge about his sexual identity. IMHO  ???
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 23, 2009, 09:09 AM
I don't think that Ennis was gay, but it is surprising how he knew what to do with Jack?! That means that knowledge about Earl and Rich gave that 9-year old a pretty good idea...

Btw, 9-year old can have conscious knowledge about his sexual identity. IMHO  ???


Maybe.  But it is hard to say.  How hid the 9-year old understand what his father was trying to point out?  He was assuming that Ennis would understand why Earl ended up this way -- a bit too much for a father to expect of a child, I think.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Feb 23, 2009, 09:23 AM
Maybe.  But it is hard to say.  How hid the 9-year old understand what his father was trying to point out?  He was assuming that Ennis would understand why Earl ended up this way -- a bit too much for a father to expect of a child, I think.

That's true. But children do understand much more that we can imagine - in their own way. and the explanation about that awful scene that Ennis gave to Jack showed pretty much clear that Ennis was aware of everything, ,maybe even too aware, coz it formed a lifetime fear in him.
On the other hand gave him a strong awareness what "queerness" is all about, which other young man in 60' maybe wouldn't know...  :s)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 23, 2009, 09:27 AM
That's true. But children do understand much more that we can imagine - in their own way. and the explanation about that awful scene that Ennis gave to Jack showed pretty much clear that Ennis was aware of everything, ,maybe even too aware, coz it formed a lifetime fear in him.
On the other hand gave him a strong awareness what "queerness" is all about, which other young man in 60' maybe wouldn't know...  :s)

Yes, but parents normally try not to test the limits of their understanding.  Which is what makes the action of Ennis's father more unfathomable.

In any case, I personally think that Ennis was homosexual -- not having to use the term "gay", if one wants to be free of certain socio-cultural aspects that come with that term.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Feb 23, 2009, 09:42 AM
Yes, but parents normally try not to test the limits of their understanding.  Which is what makes the action of Ennis's father more unfathomable.

In any case, I personally think that Ennis was homosexual -- not having to use the term "gay", if one wants to be free of certain socio-cultural aspects that come with that term.

You're right about the parent especially the rigid and conservative ones who didn't care for the right and effective method of education, but only for reaching the goal (which they often missed just because of that attitude).

I am sure that if no Jack - Ennis would've never have anything with other man. Two of them were one!

Jack had more tendency towards men, but also can be because he was searching for Ennis whom he couldn't have.
I see the things in this was and Jake G. said pretty much the same about it. And when he says something.... ::)  ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Feb 23, 2009, 12:10 PM
Did the 9-year old Ennis have any conscious knowledge of his own sexual identity?  Frankly, I don't think so -- at least not consciously.  But the Earl and Rich expisode clearly embedded itself deeply in his psyche, and this would lead of conflict later on.
I don't think either that a 9 years-old boy can be very conscious of his sexual identity,in a clear way as he will be few years after.But what I believe and I meant in my former post,is that his father told him that that had happenned to those men "for being faggot,something against God' laws and men understanding,something very bad and that deserves a punishment like this"...And that this idea in such a tender mind,can easily create a hate-love's idea some years after;the idea one usually creates when there's a denial without an explanation,without a reason.And that hate-love idea,rejection-attraction,can go to the surface when there're some ideal circumstances,like it happenned with Ennis and his first friendship with Jack,who,by the way,made him "beat the hook"...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 24, 2009, 08:45 AM
You're right about the parent especially the rigid and conservative ones who didn't care for the right and effective method of education, but only for reaching the goal (which they often missed just because of that attitude).

I am sure that if no Jack - Ennis would've never have anything with other man. Two of them were one!

Jack had more tendency towards men, but also can be because he was searching for Ennis whom he couldn't have.
I see the things in this was and Jake G. said pretty much the same about it. And when he says something.... ::)  ;)

Well, I would say that both had the (latent?) tendency, except that Jack was more open about it.  He had no hang-ups, so to speak...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 24, 2009, 08:50 AM
I don't think either that a 9 years-old boy can be very conscious of his sexual identity,in a clear way as he will be few years after.But what I believe and I meant in my former post,is that his father told him that that had happenned to those men "for being faggot,something against God' laws and men understanding,something very bad and that deserves a punishment like this"...And that this idea in such a tender mind,can easily create a hate-love's idea some years after;the idea one usually creates when there's a denial without an explanation,without a reason.And that hate-love idea,rejection-attraction,can go to the surface when there're some ideal circumstances,like it happenned with Ennis and his first friendship with Jack,who,by the way,made him "beat the hook"...

But to have done this would be to assume that the child prior knowledge of sexual relations -- something that I think conservative fundamentalist parents don't assume with children.  In fact, I would say that they normally choose to hide the possibility of "unnatural" acts from the very young -- trying to pretend that they don't really exist in a moral world.  That such things exist in other places could later be brushed aside as aberrations of the cities of Sodom...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Feb 24, 2009, 11:53 AM
But to have done this would be to assume that the child prior knowledge of sexual relations -- something that I think conservative fundamentalist parents don't assume with children.  In fact, I would say that they normally choose to hide the possibility of "unnatural" acts from the very young -- trying to pretend that they don't really exist in a moral world.  That such things exist in other places could later be brushed aside as aberrations of the cities of Sodom...
I have never been a conservative fundamentalist mother,but,even so,I suppose there are some other ways to explain to a pre-teenager boy how they arrive to this world.And it's in this sense that Ennis father could have told his sons,when showing them Earl's corpse,that these men had done "things" against natural God's laws.I suppose that it's worse to show a murdered man to a 9 years-old child than to tell him why this man has been murdered,above all if the child asks this why...
Whatever it was,the idea of "being with another man" as something linked with sin can be created in children's mind,even if you don't explain them anything about sex in a clear way.And this can produce an ambivalent reaction,as I said formerly,of attraction-repulsion that can be after addressed in a sense or the other...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Feb 24, 2009, 12:06 PM
Well, I would say that both had the (latent?) tendency, except that Jack was more open about it.  He had no hang-ups, so to speak...

I always wonder where is a line between a tendency and a determined homosexuality... I don't believe that all people are the same when it comes to their preference.  :s)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Feb 24, 2009, 12:18 PM
But to have done this would be to assume that the child prior knowledge of sexual relations -- something that I think conservative fundamentalist parents don't assume with children.  In fact, I would say that they normally choose to hide the possibility of "unnatural" acts from the very young -- trying to pretend that they don't really exist in a moral world.  That such things exist in other places could later be brushed aside as aberrations of the cities of Sodom...


I believe that it wasn't necessary for Ennis to know all about physical relationship at the time when he was 9, but the horrible picture was fixed in his mind and during years he became more aware how the things go in sex and he incorporated his fear into his new knowledge. So it was a process triggered by a Earl's tortured dead body in a fragile memory of a 9 year old. That trigger just initiated an avalanche of Ennis's lifetime suffering. 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: zanzibar on Feb 25, 2009, 05:19 AM
I think Ennis is hard to categorize. He fell in love with person, not his gender.

Ennis was never attracted to another man, but neither to a woman. Yes, I know, he had his wife and girlfriend, but he didn't really put himself into those relationships. Those relationships weren't mutual.
On the short story he says: "I never had no thoughts a doin it with another guy except I sure wrang it out a hunderd times thinkin about you."

So, I guess Ennis wasn't homosexual neither straight. He was just... a man with feelings.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Feb 25, 2009, 06:18 AM
I think Ennis is hard to categorize. He fell in love with person, not his gender.

Ennis was never attracted to another man, but neither to a woman. Yes, I know, he had his wife and girlfriend, but he didn't really put himself into those relationships. Those relationships weren't mutual.
On the short story he says: "I never had no thoughts a doin it with another guy except I sure wrang it out a hunderd times thinkin about you."

So, I guess Ennis wasn't homosexual neither straight. He was just... a man with feelings.

I quote this!  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 25, 2009, 08:11 AM
I have never been a conservative fundamentalist mother,but,even so,I suppose there are some other ways to explain to a pre-teenager boy how they arrive to this world.And it's in this sense that Ennis father could have told his sons,when showing them Earl's corpse,that these men had done "things" against natural God's laws.I suppose that it's worse to show a murdered man to a 9 years-old child than to tell him why this man has been murdered,above all if the child asks this why...
Whatever it was,the idea of "being with another man" as something linked with sin can be created in children's mind,even if you don't explain them anything about sex in a clear way.And this can produce an ambivalent reaction,as I said formerly,of attraction-repulsion that can be after addressed in a sense or the other...

Possible, but I still think it's improbable, especially with a 9 year old in a conservative society.  But I would assume that Ennis's father was just a bit "different", and I think that he was directly responsible for Ennis's conflicted nature.  The incident must have been expecuially traumatic to the young Ennis.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 25, 2009, 08:13 AM
I always wonder where is a line between a tendency and a determined homosexuality... I don't believe that all people are the same when it comes to their preference.  :s)

Some people would say that everyone has a latent tendency to homosexual acts.  I don't know, really.  Perhaps there is a grain of truth to it.  But I tend to think that orientation is a great part genetic, if not entirely.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 25, 2009, 08:17 AM
I think Ennis is hard to categorize. He fell in love with person, not his gender.

Ennis was never attracted to another man, but neither to a woman. Yes, I know, he had his wife and girlfriend, but he didn't really put himself into those relationships. Those relationships weren't mutual.
On the short story he says: "I never had no thoughts a doin it with another guy except I sure wrang it out a hunderd times thinkin about you."

So, I guess Ennis wasn't homosexual neither straight. He was just... a man with feelings.

Welcome zanzibar!  :)

Well, as far as attraction to other men -- we really can't tell.  The film never shows it, but that doesn't prove anything.  Repressed homosexuals are known to exhibit the same behavior, and expose conflicted natures in the forced attempt to repress them.  Ennis clearly exhibits such behavior.

For me, the gender of a person is intrinsic to the person himself/herself.  One cannot separate the two.  The fact that Ennnis only truly loved a man (I don't think he ever loved any woman the same way) is enough reason to define his true sexual orientation.

Just my opinion, of course.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Feb 25, 2009, 08:48 AM
Some people would say that everyone has a latent tendency to homosexual acts.  I don't know, really.  Perhaps there is a grain of truth to it.  But I tend to think that orientation is a great part genetic, if not entirely.

I disagree with this... :)

I believe that homosexuality can be caused by a numerous factors in life. Also, I believe that if a man or a woman madly falls in love with a person af the same gender it is possible that if this doesn't work, he/she can continue searching for this partner in other people of the same gender (which was partially case with Jack).

I think that some people have choice, but some don't, in the matter of their partner's gender.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 25, 2009, 08:55 AM
I disagree with this... :)

I believe that homosexuality can be caused by a numerous factors in life. Also, I believe that if a man or a woman madly falls in love with a person af the same gender it is possible that if this doesn't work, he/she can continue searching for this partner in other people of the same gender (which was partially case with Jack).

I think that some people have choice, but some don't, in the matter of their partner's gender.

But as I said, I believe that it is "in great part" genetic.  This implies that is is caused by numerous factors.  But I think that there is a strong genetic component to it.

I don't have scientific proof for it.  Only anecdotal evidence.  In my family, I can trace a homosexual thread for up to 4 generations back on the father side of my family.  There are 2 of us in my generation, in fact.  I don't think it can be coincidence. 

There is no such thread on my mother's side that I know of at the present.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Feb 25, 2009, 09:29 AM
But as I said, I believe that it is "in great part" genetic.  This implies that is is caused by numerous factors.  But I think that there is a strong genetic component to it.

I don't have scientific proof for it.  Only anecdotal evidence.  In my family, I can trace a homosexual thread for up to 4 generations back on the father side of my family.  There are 2 of us in my generation, in fact.  I don't think it can be coincidence. 

There is no such thread on my mother's side that I know of at the present.

Genetic is a powerful thing, I admit.

There was a story in Oprah where in one (very religious) family out of 7 children (5 brothers and 2 sisters) even 4 of males were homosexuals! I was stunned. It was not a coincidence, surely! But their parents never allowed them to talk about it in the house..

What I wanted to say is just that a certain circumstances can heavily induce this kind of sexual behavior, and that some people can chose and some can't. IMHO
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 25, 2009, 09:39 AM
Genetic is a powerful thing, I admit.

There was a story in Oprah where in one (very religious) family out of 7 children (5 brothers and 2 sisters) even 4 of males were homosexuals! I was stunned. It was not a coincidence, surely! But their parents never allowed them to talk about it in the house..

What I wanted to say is just that a certain circumstances can heavily induce this kind of sexual behavior, and that some people can chose and some can't. IMHO

Well, I actually know at least 6 families where at least 2 of the brothers/sisters was gay/lesbian.  In one instance, all 3 boys tuned out to be gay!  I don't think this is uncommon...

The possible connection with Ennis is that a genetic component would be completely independent of background and behavior.    Homosecuals don't behave in one way.  In fact, a large majority of them would behave the same way that Ennis did, especially among the older generations.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Feb 25, 2009, 09:50 AM
Well, I actually know at least 6 families where at least 2 of the brothers/sisters was gay/lesbian.  In one instance, all 3 boys tuned out to be gay!  I don't think this is uncommon...

The possible connection with Ennis is that a genetic component would be completely independent of background and behavior.    Homosecuals don't behave in one way.  In fact, a large majority of them would behave the same way that Ennis did, especially among the older generations.

Still, I don't believe that Ennis was gay. Had he been gay, he would have at least look at some other man, right? But he cared for no one. Only Jack!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Feb 25, 2009, 10:36 AM
Still, I don't believe that Ennis was gay. Had he been gay, he would have at least look at some other man, right? But he cared for no one. Only Jack!
but Ennis was strongly denying his homosexuality, even with Jack he was never fully open to himself about his feelings and that was with the man he loved! i think if he ever caught himself looking at other men hed be appauled...also jsut because it was enver shown or written in the film or SS doesnt techniqually mean it never happened....
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Feb 25, 2009, 10:41 AM
but Ennis was strongly denying his homosexuality, even with Jack he was never fully open to himself about his feelings and that was with the man he loved! i think if he ever caught himself looking at other men hed be appauled...also jsut because it was enver shown or written in the film or SS doesnt techniqually mean it never happened....

In SS was clearly said that he never had even the idea of doing it with other man.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Feb 25, 2009, 10:48 AM
In SS was clearly said that he never had even the idea of doing it with other man.
no but that doesnt mean hes not gay, proloux has stated he was BOTH gay and homophobic, the homophobia could be the reason for this.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Feb 25, 2009, 11:31 AM
no but that doesnt mean hes not gay, proloux has stated he was BOTH gay and homophobic, the homophobia could be the reason for this.

If AP stated that, there was no need for 28 pages of this topic... ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Feb 25, 2009, 11:59 AM
Still, I don't believe that Ennis was gay. Had he been gay, he would have at least look at some other man, right? But he cared for no one. Only Jack!
Not necessarily,Loreen... %( Don't forget Ennis was a very stoic man,able to repress his innest feelings even about the only PERSON he has really loved in all his life.What else was he going to do,then,with any other man,bearing in mind his fears and the environment he lived in?.
And by the way,believe me;once someone has had a relationship with another same sex person that hasn't worked,he or she is looking for LOVE,in capital letters,no matter with who,as long as he or she can be loved in his/her turn-unless you're 100% gay or lesbian,bisexuality doesn't go to an only path...-.
 *o) Please,don't make so many differentiations about homosexual way of feeling,loving or just being;too many differentiations "the others" make already with us...All of us are PERSONS with a heart and feelings,who gives a damn about if loving this person or this other is genetic,learned or because you feel like doing it?. >:(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jon4 on Feb 25, 2009, 12:05 PM
I don't think either that a 9 years-old boy can be very conscious of his sexual identity,in a clear way as he will be few years after.But what I believe and I meant in my former post,is that his father told him that that had happenned to those men "for being faggot,something against God' laws and men understanding,something very bad and that deserves a punishment like this"...And that this idea in such a tender mind,can easily create a hate-love's idea some years after;the idea one usually creates when there's a denial without an explanation,without a reason.And that hate-love idea,rejection-attraction,can go to the surface when there're some ideal circumstances,like it happenned with Ennis and his first friendship with Jack,who,by the way,made him "beat the hook"...

.... I think Ennis was attracted to Jack since the very first moment he saw him in front of Aguirre's trailer, there is a great ( and subtle ) shot of him hiding his eyes away from Jack's while they were waiting to get in..... and that look in his eyes..... ( What a great actor and what a great director !!! )..... but he didn't  want to accept it then........ I remember during the final confrontation how Ennis spits in front of Jack...... spitting is a very nasty ( macho ) way to express disgust, women never do that (at least I haven't seen it ),..... but some straight men do, and some macho homosexuals too, sometimes, unconsciously, in front of someone they like, to try to hide their feelings....... "they are not queer".....

... I've been reading the latest posts to this thread and many true things are said, but I've quoted this particular one, myprivatejack, because in my personal case, is definitely yes, I´ve been aware of my sexual attraction to men as long as I can remember, and I remember things from when I was two years old, this feeling was very painful to bear specially in early childhood, not because of the fact of being homosexual, but because of the reactions of the people around me,.....you know..... so since very early age I had to learn how to hide it to protect myself, to survive, to be accepted,........ but even though, unlike Ennis, I accepted myself long time ago, his role in BBM has made the dormant sorrow from childhood flow freely now.......  
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Feb 25, 2009, 12:37 PM
Not necessarily,Loreen... %( Don't forget Ennis was a very stoic man,able to repress his innest feelings even about the only PERSON he has really loved in all his life.What else was he going to do,then,with any other man,bearing in mind his fears and the environment he lived in?.
And by the way,believe me;once someone has had a relationship with another same sex person that hasn't worked,he or she is looking for LOVE,in capital letters,no matter with who,as long as he or she can be loved in his/her turn-unless you're 100% gay or lesbian,bisexuality doesn't go to an only path...-.
 *o) Please,don't make so many differentiations about homosexual way of feeling,loving or just being;too many differentiations "the others" make already with us...All of us are PERSONS with a heart and feelings,who gives a damn about if loving this person or this other is genetic,learned or because you feel like doing it?. >:(

Gulp!  ???

You talking to me??  ???

Really??  ???

 ;D Hi babe! I just have some theories and I am inquiring others and myself about them. And I may be wrong, but if I am right...  ^^)

Well, Ennis stated that he never wanted another man (SS), so for me it is only to believe that it was Jack who he loved AND wanted. That's how I see it and how I sense it...  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Feb 25, 2009, 01:37 PM
If AP stated that, there was no need for 28 pages of this topic... ;)
well AP did so maybe there was no need, however its still a great topic to discuss and explore all aspects of ennis seual identity and homophobia.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Asali on Feb 25, 2009, 02:30 PM
Still, I don't believe that Ennis was gay. Had he been gay, he would have at least look at some other man, right? But he cared for no one. Only Jack!
Just because Ennis may never have looked at another man or looked at one in the same way as he did Jack does not mean he was not gay.

but Ennis was strongly denying his homosexuality, even with Jack he was never fully open to himself about his feelings and that was with the man he loved! i think if he ever caught himself looking at other men hed be appauled...also jsut because it was enver shown or written in the film or SS doesnt techniqually mean it never happened....
Exactly. He knew the way he felt about Jack but this was difficult to admit even to himself. Even if he did look at other men no one matched up to Jack, so in his mind Jack was the only man he had feelings for.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Feb 26, 2009, 09:32 AM
I see that this interesting topic is moving on again.  ;)

Well, most of you know where I stand, but that is beside the pouist, correct?

Some of us here can agree to disagree, but it is wonderful nonetheless discussing our differences and why they are so...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: holyfool on Mar 16, 2009, 05:52 PM




             - labels, labels, labels...  most people criticize what they can not understand, they will keep flushing themselves down the toilet of their own ignorance.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 17, 2009, 08:15 AM



             - labels, labels, labels...  most people criticize what they can not understand, they will keep flushing themselves down the toilet of their own ignorance.

Well, as I said in one of the lost posts from last week, labels are what the individual makes it out to be.  Labels by themselves are not inherently evil.  It is what the person makes of it.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: holyfool on Mar 17, 2009, 07:42 PM



            -you are right tpe. 

            let see : how many men a woman need to sleep with to be called a "slut"?

            let see:  if two straight men sleep with each other one night, will we call them "queers" the next morning?

            let see:  is there a "grey area" left?.

            you are right, we need to label ourselves, and PLEASE some one show us the choice of labels,  before we get tagged by         

            miseducated  societies.

            some times you need to lose something to gain something.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 18, 2009, 10:24 AM


            -you are right tpe. 

            let see : how many men a woman need to sleep with to be called a "slut"?

            let see:  if two straight men sleep with each other one night, will we call them "queers" the next morning?

            let see:  is there a "grey area" left?.

            you are right, we need to label ourselves, and PLEASE some one show us the choice of labels,  before we get tagged by         

            miseducated  societies.

            some times you need to lose something to gain something.

It's never been simple.  We live with labels everyday, and make the most of what they try to approximate, or else defend ourselves from those who attach oversimplifications to them.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: holyfool on Mar 18, 2009, 08:29 PM
                   
                    you got that right  tpe.
                   
                    i say :

                 - go  ahead  (you repressed  society)  please waste your time and label me,  at least  i am the lucky one that is able to  satisfy
                 
                   a woman and a man  with out any regrets or insecurities. people like me always carry the satisfied smile at the end.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Mar 19, 2009, 07:26 AM
The labels don't exist only in the "world" of sexuality. Many(me included) put labels sometimes on others, and sometimes we're not even aware of it!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 19, 2009, 08:11 AM
Agreed.  Sorry that I have sidetracked the discussion a bit about labels.  It is related to the current topic, but if you want to post additional thoughts about Ennis's sexuality, then feel free to ignore my broader comments on labels.  ;)

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Mar 19, 2009, 08:17 AM
Agreed.  Sorry that I have sidetracked the discussion a bit about labels.  It is related to the current topic, but if you want to post additional thoughts about Ennis's sexuality, then feel free to ignore my broader comments on labels.  ;)

In fact it was me who went OT. But when it comes to labels - it is very common used in every part of our lives. It is just that we are more sensitive when it comes to something we are being labeled about. So I assume that gay people are very sensitive when it comes to words that describe their sexuality in rude or ridiculing way.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 19, 2009, 08:21 AM
In fact it was me who went OT. But when it comes to labels - it is very common used in every part of our lives. It is just that we are more sensitive when it comes to something we are being labeled about. So I assume that gay people are very sensitive when it comes to words that describe their sexuality in rude or ridiculing way.

IT is quite common -- perhaps even ubiquitous...  As for gay people, it all depends.  Some embrace the label with pride, ehile other do not.  Don't forget that "gay" was coined to counter more pejorative terms like queer or queen or or sissy or pansy, etc.  "Gay" was originally used as a non-pejorative term.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Mar 19, 2009, 08:41 AM
IT is quite common -- perhaps even ubiquitous...  As for gay people, it all depends.  Some embrace the label with pride, ehile other do not.  Don't forget that "gay" was coined to counter more pejorative terms like queer or queen or or sissy or pansy, etc.  "Gay" was originally used as a non-pejorative term.

 ::)  I was thinking about the other terms you mentioned, not "gay"! I also think of "gay" as a polite word...  :s),and not being a native speaker, I have to be very careful. But, as you said I was right.

Also, I can't even imagine why would Ennis be a gay! He fell in love with Jack, and I believe, had he not, he would've never ever look at other men!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 19, 2009, 08:48 AM
::)  I was thinking about the other terms you mentioned, not "gay"! I also think of "gay" as a polite word...  :s),and not being a native speaker, I have to be very careful. But, as you said I was right.

Also, I can't even imagine why would Ennis be a gay! He fell in love with Jack, and I believe, had he not, he would've never ever look at other men!

The funny thing is that I can't even imagine why Ennis would NOT be gay.   ;D  Different POV.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Mar 19, 2009, 08:52 AM
The funny thing is that I can't even imagine why Ennis would NOT be gay.   ;D  Different POV.

 ;D ;D ;D Well, I have nothing to add... for now! Except of  :8 !
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Mar 19, 2009, 02:42 PM
The funny thing is that I can't even imagine why Ennis would NOT be gay.   ;D  Different POV.
same for me  ;D
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: holyfool on Mar 19, 2009, 07:20 PM



          - was he or not?  who cares!

         - i think the poor man needed a shrink and a wake up call. life is way too short to lack away its pleasures and dismiss people that really give
           
           a f*** about you.  ( excuse my language ) .  his misery and destiny  was his own fault.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Mar 20, 2009, 09:06 AM
          - was he or not?  who cares!

There is more than a grain of truth to this...  ;)  But for those who think that homsecuality is evil, it probably does, unfortunately...



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: holyfool on Mar 20, 2009, 07:11 PM
     



                                 -  right on!   those evil damned people that think homosexuality is damn evil.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jeffjoe on May 18, 2009, 10:59 PM
Was a long time ago i don't ask me this question ... Can someone have a sexual contact with other person of the same gender, without being gay... and more... could develop an emotional bond that first relationship? At the end I think Ennis was gay ... highly suppressed, but gay
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on May 19, 2009, 05:06 AM
Was a long time ago i don't ask me this question ... Can someone have a sexual contact with other person of the same gender, without being gay... and more... could develop an emotional bond that first relationship? At the end I think Ennis was gay ... highly suppressed, but gay

I think that it can - that 2 persons can have the sexual contact and emotional bond! And not being gay! :)

But it's only me! :i
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on May 19, 2009, 07:04 AM
Was a long time ago i don't ask me this question ... Can someone have a sexual contact with other person of the same gender, without being gay... and more... could develop an emotional bond that first relationship? At the end I think Ennis was gay ... highly suppressed, but gay

Well, that's a good question.  I differ a bit from loreen and many other members in saying that I don't think it's possible -- especially on a deep emotional level.  Sex is one thing -- straight men can claim to have tried sex with other men.  But none of them will confess a deeper emotional bond -- like love.


Well...  Perhaps bisexuality is another option...

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jeffjoe on May 19, 2009, 02:04 PM
I think that it can - that 2 persons can have the sexual contact and emotional bond! And not being gay! :)

But it's only me! :i
What means to be gay anyway... because I am really confused on this matter, well i guess i am gay, but i really don't know can one person born as straight and turn into a gay on the way it's something than i've not discover yet  :^^) :^^) :^^) :^^) :^^)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on May 19, 2009, 02:19 PM
What means to be gay anyway... because I am really confused on this matter, well i guess i am gay, but i really don't know can one person born as straight and turn into a gay on the way it's something than i've not discover yet  :^^) :^^) :^^) :^^) :^^)

Well, I have some theories.... ::)

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jeffjoe on May 19, 2009, 02:27 PM
Well, I have some theories.... ::)


Let me know it please  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on May 19, 2009, 02:38 PM
Let me know it please  :)

 ;D  I have to work on it still, but maybe one day I'll publish them here...  :i

Sorry! ::)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on May 19, 2009, 02:47 PM
What means to be gay anyway... because I am really confused on this matter, well i guess i am gay, but i really don't know can one person born as straight and turn into a gay on the way it's something than i've not discover yet  :^^) :^^) :^^) :^^) :^^)

I don't know if Ennis was gay or not, but it's not about the label, but the love that matters to me.

Whatever his sexuality, Ennis Del Mar was in love with Jack Twist, and is attracted only to Jack Twist and no one else. He could perform his "duties" with Alma and Cassie, but not with passion, unless he was thinking about Jack.

It doesn't matter to me whether Ennis is gay or bi or whatever. What draws me to him is his constancy in love, his passion under the quiet exterior, and his yearning to be free even bound by a chain of fear.

To the world, he can be gay, straight, bi, closeted, whatever. To Jack Twist, Ennis Del Mar was simply the love that he couldn't, wouldn't ever quit.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on May 19, 2009, 03:13 PM
I don't know if Ennis was gay or not, but it's not about the label, but the love that matters to me.

Whatever his sexuality, Ennis Del Mar was in love with Jack Twist, and is attracted only to Jack Twist and no one else. He could perform his "duties" with Alma and Cassie, but not with passion, unless he was thinking about Jack.

It doesn't matter to me whether Ennis is gay or bi or whatever. What draws me to him is his constancy in love, his passion under the quiet exterior, and his yearning to be free even bound by a chain of fear.

To the world, he can be gay, straight, bi, closeted, whatever. To Jack Twist, Ennis Del Mar was simply the love that he couldn't, wouldn't ever quit.

Lovely said Lance! :)

And I agree! O0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on May 20, 2009, 07:34 AM
What means to be gay anyway... because I am really confused on this matter, well i guess i am gay, but i really don't know can one person born as straight and turn into a gay on the way it's something than i've not discover yet  :^^) :^^) :^^) :^^) :^^)

One thing I have learned from life is that sexuality can be quite a complex affair, although I do think that most people do have a distinct preference.  It is this preference that pretty much defines gayness or straightness, even as this preference can accomodate a certain amount of ambiguity (not much for the vast majority of us, I would hazard.)  This is at the heart of why we use the term sexual ORIENTATION. 

Bearing in mind this "definition", I do believe that a large part of sexual orientation is congenital -- and I believe this because of my own personal knowledge of my own family (going back to at least 3 generations) as well as similar evidence from some very good friends.

With or without this or the use of "labels", sexual preference is a very real thing.  It drives most of us to make important life choices, and predetermines how and who we choose to love.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on May 20, 2009, 11:00 AM
I don't know if Ennis was gay or not, but it's not about the label, but the love that matters to me.

Whatever his sexuality, Ennis Del Mar was in love with Jack Twist, and is attracted only to Jack Twist and no one else. He could perform his "duties" with Alma and Cassie, but not with passion, unless he was thinking about Jack.

It doesn't matter to me whether Ennis is gay or bi or whatever. What draws me to him is his constancy in love, his passion under the quiet exterior, and his yearning to be free even bound by a chain of fear.

To the world, he can be gay, straight, bi, closeted, whatever. To Jack Twist, Ennis Del Mar was simply the love that he couldn't, wouldn't ever quit.

I rhink this is the most sensible and sensitive thing to say about all this;beyond all labels in human sexuality and general behaviour,is love what matters the most.From this point onwards,the sexuality of this love's subject is only a mere circumstance.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on May 21, 2009, 01:02 AM
    You said a mouth full there MPJ!!!      $)    <quoted for emphasis>

    Wish I would a thunk to said it first.

Yup! Agree!  O0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on May 21, 2009, 07:22 AM
I rhink this is the most sensible and sensitive thing to say about all this;beyond all labels in human sexuality and general behaviour,is love what matters the most.From this point onwards,the sexuality of this love's subject is only a mere circumstance.

That is true in principle.  But in real life, the gender of the person whom you love matters very much -- people have died and continue to die because of it.  What you say is true, if only there is freedom to love anyone you choose.  That NOT being the case, human sexuality and even labels matter a great deal and are not just mere circumstance that signify nothing.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on May 21, 2009, 10:12 AM
That is true in principle.  But in real life, the gender of the person whom you love matters very much -- people have died and continue to die because of it.  What you say is true, if only there is freedom to love anyone you choose.  That NOT being the case, human sexuality and even labels matter a great deal and are not just mere circumstance that signify nothing.


What you say is true, tpe, about the circumstances, but NOT about the love. It is similarly true when applied to other labels of race, creed, etc. When we speak of labels, we speak not of the thing being labeled, but of the prejudices in us that cause us to label. It is what Immanuel Kant referred to in his distinction between noumenon and phenomenon. Our labels are our responses to the phenomenon, not the noumenon itself. "Gay" has nothing to do with the real Ennis, only our response to his love of Jack, a man. It says nothing about that love.

Labels are what get people killed, Protestants and Catholics, Communists and Fascists, Straight or Gay, etc. They divide people, when they should strife to understand one another. They group people into pigeon holes, when they should be setting people free - free of chains that tie them to stereotypes, free of boundaries that keep them from being whoever they want to be, free of limits that says they can do this but not that.

When we are free of labels, then we will be truly free, free at last.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on May 21, 2009, 10:58 AM
    You said a mouth full there MPJ!!!      $)    <quoted for emphasis>

    Wish I would a thunk to said it first.

 :t),handsome¡. I suppose that any sensitive person could have said or think this first¡.It's only to be able to pass away from any labels that divided persons and that have made so much damage from the oldest times.It's a question of not creating ghettos,and these are very often created for the same persons who are inside these ghettos...A difficult task still,but several little steps have been made... O0
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on May 21, 2009, 11:09 AM
Thomas and Andrew; I think both of you are right...Very often,persons who belong to any concrete ethnic or whatever group,need to join themselves,as a way of recognising each other,and sometimes,to help each other too.Because difference,or the fear to difference,to the unknown,has been the "battle horse" that other persons included in "normal parametres" have used to marginalise,depict when not simply destroy who have this other label of "different".Surely for an unconscious fear of being in their innest self just like these ones...This and the power wishes have always been what have create and developed wars;the rich against the poor,the powerful against the weak,the "normal" against the "different".Maybe is something inherent with human being,but it's time to change it,or at least trying to change it.And sometimes one must begin for the semantic,as the first step to be free of labels and of what they mean.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on May 21, 2009, 06:32 PM
Thomas and Andrew; I think both of you are right...Very often,persons who belong to any concrete ethnic or whatever group,need to join themselves,as a way of recognising each other,and sometimes,to help each other too.Because difference,or the fear to difference,to the unknown,has been the "battle horse" that other persons included in "normal parametres" have used to marginalise,depict when not simply destroy who have this other label of "different".Surely for an unconscious fear of being in their innest self just like these ones...This and the power wishes have always been what have create and developed wars;the rich against the poor,the powerful against the weak,the "normal" against the "different".Maybe is something inherent with human being,but it's time to change it,or at least trying to change it.And sometimes one must begin for the semantic,as the first step to be free of labels and of what they mean.

That's an interesting point. Birds of a feather flock together, and all that. It's certainly a comfort to enter the gay district of any city, but that, again, has more to do with the prejudices of others rather than with Ennis' love for Jack. He had as much in common with other gay men as he did with Don Wroe. In fact, he probably had more in common with Don Wroe, since they are friends, than he did with the typical urban gay bar fly.

To find security and comfort with others who share the same "label" while the outside world is hostile, that has been the common experience for all minority groups, immigrants, etc. And when society becomes more accepting, invariably those "ghettos" disappear and future generations are integrated. To hold on to those "labels" is to hold on to the past.

Ennis is gay only in the sense that he is in love with Jack, a man. But that has little significance, compared to the love they share, whatever their gender. Ennis' identity is more than a three letter word. It has as much meaning as Ennis is a man, or Ennis is a ranch hand, or Ennis is a father, or Ennis is a husband. The complexity of a person's identity cannot be encapsulated in a single word, perhaps not even in a collection of words. Writers and poets try to create a character by using words, and some succeed. Most of of time, we have only caricatures. Ennis Del Mar is one of those rare characters that came alive, especially after Heath breathed life into him.

Just my two cents...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on May 22, 2009, 08:37 AM
What you say is true, tpe, about the circumstances, but NOT about the love. It is similarly true when applied to other labels of race, creed, etc. When we speak of labels, we speak not of the thing being labeled, but of the prejudices in us that cause us to label. It is what Immanuel Kant referred to in his distinction between noumenon and phenomenon. Our labels are our responses to the phenomenon, not the noumenon itself. "Gay" has nothing to do with the real Ennis, only our response to his love of Jack, a man. It says nothing about that love.

Labels are what get people killed, Protestants and Catholics, Communists and Fascists, Straight or Gay, etc. They divide people, when they should strife to understand one another. They group people into pigeon holes, when they should be setting people free - free of chains that tie them to stereotypes, free of boundaries that keep them from being whoever they want to be, free of limits that says they can do this but not that.

When we are free of labels, then we will be truly free, free at last.

Hello lance!

I know that this is an old discussion between the two of us.  ;)

But "love" itelf is a label.  It matters that we call it "love", and not "sin" or "lust", as others would call it.  The phenomenon is the same, but see how much of a difference the viewpoint makes.

It's not my position to insist whether or not "gay" is appropriate for Ennis or not.  But I would say that it does matter.
"Labels" do matter very much.  I don't think we can and I don't think we should be free of labels.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on May 22, 2009, 08:46 AM
Thomas and Andrew; I think both of you are right...Very often,persons who belong to any concrete ethnic or whatever group,need to join themselves,as a way of recognising each other,and sometimes,to help each other too.Because difference,or the fear to difference,to the unknown,has been the "battle horse" that other persons included in "normal parametres" have used to marginalise,depict when not simply destroy who have this other label of "different".Surely for an unconscious fear of being in their innest self just like these ones...This and the power wishes have always been what have create and developed wars;the rich against the poor,the powerful against the weak,the "normal" against the "different".Maybe is something inherent with human being,but it's time to change it,or at least trying to change it.And sometimes one must begin for the semantic,as the first step to be free of labels and of what they mean.

I do think that it is inherent with human nature, but I admit that I don't consider it something we must or can change. 

All of language is an attempt to label various aspects of human experience.  Just because they are approximates and can be conflcting/contradictory doesn't mean that they are superfluous. 

I do understand your point, nonetheless.  ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on May 22, 2009, 10:12 AM
Hello lance!

I know that this is an old discussion between the two of us.  ;)

But "love" itelf is a label.  It matters that we call it "love", and not "sin" or "lust", as others would call it.  The phenomenon is the same, but see how much of a difference the viewpoint makes.

It's not my position to insist whether or not "gay" is appropriate for Ennis or not.  But I would say that it does matter.
"Labels" do matter very much.  I don't think we can and I don't think we should be free of labels.

Hey, bud. It's good to re-visit old discussion once in a while to see if we can achieve a new level of understanding.

Love is indeed itself a label. And as we agreed in the past, labels are indeed important as means to communicate. However, it is also important to remember, as is said in Taoist philosophy, "the Tao that can be named is not the Tao", or as Immanuel Kant put it, "the noumenon is not the same as the phenomenon". As long as we remember that the label is not the same as the thing, then we will continue to search for the thing, not thinking self-righteously that we have THE answer. This last point is what I mean when I say that we need to be free of labels, to be free of our own prejudices that arise from labels, like stereotypes, caricatures, demonizing the others.

What you said about love, lust, sin etc, is a perfect illustration of the trappings of using labels and mistaking the three different levels:
1. noumenon (the object thing which is independent of the universe, the unknowable essense of the thing),
2. phenomenon (what we perceive the thing through our senses, measurements, interpretations, which depend on our abilities to perceive, the accuracies of our instruments and senses), and
3. labels (the category that we place the phenomenon in our framework of world view). Love, lust, sin, etc, are labels of things greater than those words, or our understanding of them.

Labels are ladened with layers of traps for the unwary. It is why out of the mouths of babes come wisdom sometimes, because the innocence of youth cut through all the intellectual sophistry that trap the smartest who think they know the noumenon, when in fact they have been debating the labels - like how many angels dance on the head of a pin. It is this last use of labels that enslaves, and what I mean when I say that we need to be free of labels.

And to bring me back on topic:

"Ennis is gay" can be understood as
"(label of a person) (label of equivalence or label of membership) (label of category)"

The label of the person is easy enough. Ennis represents the person, and few of us would misunderstand the label for the actual person.

The label "is" requires more explanation to be useful because in English (and most natural languages) the word can be used for either one of these: 1. equivalence, 2. having properties of, or 3. being a member of a group. In this case, Ennis is gay implies the label is used for membership of a group AND has the property of "loving another man, a person of the same gender".

The label "gay" is both easy and difficult because it can have different layers of meaning. The easy meaning is "to love another person of the same gender", but the difficult meaning is associated with connotations that go with it. For example, "another person" in the case of Ennis is Jack AND ONLY JACK. This is different from other gay men. So is Ennis gay, or a special kind of gay? I have agreed in the past that Ennis is gay in that sense, but it means very little without a deeper understanding of the man.

"Ennis is gay" is about as meaningful as "Secretariat is a horse". It is true in some sense, but it takes away all the uniqueness and special qualities that make Secretariat a legend. The same is true to simply say "Ennis is gay", or "Brokeback Mountain is about two gay ranch hands." The statement takes away from the uniqueness of Ennis, and the special greatness of Brokeback Mountain. It is the taking away part that I object, not the part that is true.

I hope that clarifies my labels.  :c) ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on May 22, 2009, 05:40 PM
OT:

Friends, I'll be gone for more than a week (I'm leaving for Helsinki tonight) so please continue this and other wonderful exchanges in this part of the forum.

When I can, I'll try to read and perhaps even post a few responses.  But please continue the discussions and I hope to catch up in a few days. :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Matt Nasty on Jun 23, 2009, 07:07 PM
hate to see this thread innactive so thought id give it a little nudge! :).
so i was thinking for a long time ive beleived Ennis was indeed gay, and the more i think on it the more i beleive it. People may argue Ennis was straight but just fell in love with jack, however my counter arguments to this would be that, my first being; more of a semantical issue whats the meaning of gay, personally i would say being gay simply meant a difference regarding sexual inclination to me it also significant to who you love and how you love them. i mean to say Ennis was straight and simply fell in love with Jack was allt hat happened doesnt add up to me me and my best friend love each other dearly and where open about that pretty sure he doesnt want to sleep with me...i mean if we were to say the semanticle implication of the word 'gay' was purely from a sexual stand point then is that to say ennis became gay? similarly if we look at it as the way in which love effects us we hit the same result Ennis became gay for jack or at least bi...so in essece even from arguing this point the answer points to Ennis wasnt straight regardless of how it came about. however IMO secualityisnt something that happens its something thats born into us.
my second point would be from a psychological asspect, lets look at Ennis relationships with women, yes ennis had sexual relationships with at least one woman possibly cassie aswell...however lets look at his past, young Ennis taken to the irrigation ditch to see earl who was murdered for being gay, a trauma of that level is bound to leave deep psychological scars and it is all but proven that in many cases of severe homophobia it comes from the repression of ones own sexual identity and a trauma large as the one of Ennis seing Earl could easily plant the seeds of this repression to the point Ennis was even in a state of self denial.

ill leave it there for now before i start to ramble haha.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: JT on Jun 23, 2009, 09:17 PM
Sometimes, I think we're dissecting this simple question a bit too deeply.  "Was Ennis gay?" to me simply means "Does Ennis like men?"  Well, Jack is a man so the answer is "yes".  Does he like every man?  No.  Does every gay man love every man?  I doubt it.  It is just one of many important aspects that make Ennis who he is.  Now we all know we're more than just one thing.  For example, I'm more than just an Asian.  I'm more than just gay.  I'm more than just a man.  I'm all that and much more.

Now, on labeling.  If a label is used to identify an individual as part of a group, then I'm fine with it.  I'll carry it proudly on my shoulder.  Only when a label is used for discrimination or a slur, or to diminish someone, then I'm against it.  Labels are a necessary part of life and always will be.  They are nothing more than for identifying something.  Just about everything you see has a label, but most of the time, the object is more than just the label. 

My two crude, simple minded cents.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: chameau on Jun 23, 2009, 09:19 PM
Well thanks for sharing your two crude, and so called, simple minded cents Trent, you make a lot of sense. :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Jun 23, 2009, 11:53 PM
Hi guys, thanks for waking this up, I’ll jump in. To quote one of our famous Usonian Presidents (go ahead, Google it) “it all depends on what the meaning of is, is”. Or, it all depends on what your meaning of GAY, is. This is not a little question; for some the word itself has a significant and highly important meaning – especially for those of, or in, the gay community.

Not to belabor the point, but – to me there can be no doubt Ennis was homosexual, by definition. He had sex, repeatedly, with a man, and even admitted fantasizing about having sex with a man. “I wrung it out a hundred times thinkin’ about you”. I feel this shows he not only liked it, he knew he liked it, and wanted Jack to know he liked it.

But “gay”?, hmmm. Having lived in San Francisco in the late 1970s, when the word “gay” was directly and specifically meant to mean not only homosexual - but also, proud, liberated, out, and unashamedly queer, GAY was used to reflect a view, a new view, of the liberated homosexual community. Ennis was IMHO in no way “gay”. He exhibited none of those traits. Ennis Delmar in the Gay Pride parade? Huh?

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jun 24, 2009, 06:57 AM
Very interesting points, Matt Nasty, JT, and Jackster.  In your own different way of looking at things, you are correct.  It depends on what the term "gay" really means to you -- perhaps personally.

I should note that the origins of the term "gay" is rooted in the early 20th century, and was used as an alternative to "homosexual", simply because homosexuals disliked the latter's clinical/medical associations as a psychological disorder.

It was only in the 1960s when the term gay was directly associated with "liberation", as when African-Americans gave a new meaning to the term "black" -- along the lines of the civil rights movement.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: JT on Jun 24, 2009, 08:11 AM
I think the term "gay" in this question is simply "is he a homosexual?"  We're talking about a Brokeback Mountain character here, not some colorful characters from some gay pride literature.  We know Ennis doesn't prance around in a gay parade dressed skimply, not that anything is wrong with that of course.  He doesn't live in a big city like San Fran where being gay is celebrated, not condemned. So to me it was a given what this question meant in this context.  Of course "gay" can mean many things to many people.  It can also mean "happy", but of course we talking out of context here.  Is Ennis happy?  Not most of the time.  So, yes, it really depends on what you mean by the word "gay".  I believe in Ennis' case, it simply pertains to his sexual preference not the "gay" culture.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jun 24, 2009, 09:57 AM
Let me reiterate that for much of the 20th century, it was the term "homosexual" that was the loaded/dirty word, since it was the term used in clinical psychology for a mental/psychological  disorder.  The term "gay" was used as an alternative -- as a term not implying anything wrong with same-sex love.  In essence, they are historically equivalent.

Nowadays, the term "gay" has been given additional layers of meaning.  And since homosexuality is no longer considered a disorder by the medical community, then the term "homosexual" has now become more acceptable and less loaded with derogatory meanings.

I remember old textbooks that listed (an illustrated!) homosexuality as an aberration...


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jul 26, 2009, 11:31 AM
This strictly my opinion guys, so please bear with me.  The question should be was Ennis queer,  Ennis had no idea of what gay was.  that phrase just wasn't in his head.  We have to look at thought his POV. 

I'm in the camp that think he was, and he knew he was.  His rage came from that fact his unwillingness to confront or be his true self, he either couldn't deal i with it , ignored it, hid it, or thought there was no problem at all.  he dealt with his frustrations in random jobs not staying long enough to get a foot hold on anything.  his inability to control his anger,  drinking alone,  eating alone, being alone.   His attempts to have relationships, that proved to be unfulfilled.  I think from childhood he felt he was different,  he somehow put up caution signs on his emotions, stuffing them down,  avoiding them, but showing rage when he is faced with something that threaten his stoic persona.   When he had to leave Jack that first summer, unwilling to deal that fact,  started to rage at Jack and hit him,   being confronted by Alma, again he raged.   

it wasn't his need for man on man sex that tortured Ennis, he wanted it, needed it, loved it,  it was the profound self hatred he had in a world that would kill him for being who he was.  Maybe Jack suffered from the same thing,  for twenty years he sought some kind of validation from Ennis,  his going off to Mexico for paid sex,  his supposed relationship with Randall,  being a combines salesman, not only being the only combine salesman, but being the best,  we see his constant search for validation where he could find it.

How must it feel to live in a world that doesn't accept,  refused to accept who and what you are,  on the sole basis of who you chose to love, and most importantly who you are.  How much rage, self hatred can build in someone. 

When Ennis said to Jack:  "It's because of you Jack, I'm like this.", to me is saying, "how can i love you when i can't love myself", cutting off his true self again. 

They love each other so much,  but didn't love themselves enough to find the joy in that love, in a world that wouldn't let them, and would destroy them for it.

Just my two cents, thanks.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 26, 2009, 12:35 PM
Interesting discussion here. I thought I had said all I wanted to say on the subject, but some of you raised interesting points.

Not only are we over the argument over semantic definition of the word gay, but we are indeed rising beyond the question itself, metaphysically questioning the question, if that makes any sense.

Was Ennis gay? Was Ennis homosexual? Was Ennis queer?

Let's examine what we know for sure, from the movie and the short story:

Ennis was in love with Jack.
Ennis wring it out hundreds of time thinking of Jack, and no other guy.

JT made a good point that not every gay men love more than one man. Jackster and manhattengirl also made a good point that the definition of gay and queer carries connotations.

Does Ennis fit their additional meaning?

The issue here, I think, is that we are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and a fuzzy one at that. The meaning of the word, indeed, the question itself, is fuzzy with fringe edges that simply has nothing to do with Ennis Del Mar the character.

I think JT and manhattangirl came closest to ironing out the fuzzy edges, when they say:

[...]
If a label is used to identify an individual as part of a group, then I'm fine with it.  I'll carry it proudly on my shoulder.  Only when a label is used for discrimination or a slur, or to diminish someone, then I'm against it.  Labels are a necessary part of life and always will be.  They are nothing more than for identifying something.  Just about everything you see has a label, but most of the time, the object is more than just the label. 
[...]

This strictly my opinion guys, so please bear with me.  The question should be was Ennis queer,  Ennis had no idea of what gay was.  that phrase just wasn't in his head.  We have to look at thought his POV. 

I'm in the camp that think he was, and he knew he was.  His rage came from that fact his unwillingness to confront or be his true self, he either couldn't deal i with it , ignored it, hid it, or thought there was no problem at all.  he dealt with his frustrations in random jobs not staying long enough to get a foot hold on anything.  his inability to control his anger,  drinking alone,  eating alone, being alone.   His attempts to have relationships, that proved to be unfulfilled.  I think from childhood he felt he was different,  he somehow put up caution signs on his emotions, stuffing them down,  avoiding them, but showing rage when he is faced with something that threaten his stoic persona.   When he had to leave Jack that first summer, unwilling to deal that fact,  started to rage at Jack and hit him,   being confronted by Alma, again he raged.   

it wasn't his need for man on man sex that tortured Ennis, he wanted it, needed it, loved it,  it was the profound self hatred he had in a world that would kill him for being who he was.  Maybe Jack suffered from the same thing,  for twenty years he sought some kind of validation from Ennis,  his going off to Mexico for paid sex,  his supposed relationship with Randall,  being a combines salesman, not only being the only combine salesman, but being the best,  we see his constant search for validation where he could find it.

How must it feel to live in a world that doesn't accept,  refused to accept who and what you are,  on the sole basis of who you chose to love, and most importantly who you are.  How much rage, self hatred can build in someone. 

When Ennis said to Jack:  "It's because of you Jack, I'm like this.", to me is saying, "how can i love you when i can't love myself", cutting off his true self again. 

They love each other so much,  but didn't love themselves enough to find the joy in that love, in a world that wouldn't let them, and would destroy them for it.

Just my two cents, thanks.

In addition, here are my two cents worth: for Ennis and all those gay men who love only one, would they be gay if they never met their true love? Would they be life-long bachelors like Sherlock Holmes, or devoted but dispassionate husbands? Would they come out years later in old age?

Like I said, labels are such a limited tool when it comes to ideas that are beyond words.

Ennis, gay or not, queer or not, was more than a label; that's what makes him real, not a caricature of a stereotype. Heath gave Ennis the unique realism, the fuzzy "could have been anyone" character that transcends labeling. The love that can be labeled is not the true love. The love that is true, cares not the labels of the world.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 27, 2009, 07:00 AM
...How must it feel to live in a world that doesn't accept,  refused to accept who and what you are,  on the sole basis of who you chose to love, and most importantly who you are.  How much rage, self hatred can build in someone... 

It does funny things to you.   And self-loathing is certainly one of these things that are the most serious/twisted.  To base one's self-worth of the arbitrary judgements of others is a trap that we can all identify with.  That is why we empathize with Ennis -- willingly/consciously or not.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Jul 27, 2009, 09:39 AM
I don't think that it was Jack's sexuality that made him a person who needed a validation.

He was doing comparatively well, being a gay person! The reason why he needed the validation was his father, who was never ever satisfied with him.... that's the main reason why he never felt accepted and why he was able to do anything to be accepted. OK, he also entered the wealthy world of Newsomes who didn't accept him too, and Ennis also never accepted him in the way he wanted to.... so he was doomed to be refused by everyone despite being so benevolent and caring person. But going to the beginning - it was his father who was the root of the problem. IMO, of course...

Oh, and yes! i don't think that he hated himself in the way Ennis did. He was willing to embrace things as they were.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 27, 2009, 03:23 PM
I don't think that it was Jack's sexuality that made him a person who needed a validation.

He was doing comparatively well, being a gay person! The reason why he needed the validation was his father, who was never ever satisfied with him.... that's the main reason why he never felt accepted and why he was able to do anything to be accepted. OK, he also entered the wealthy world of Newsomes who didn't accept him too, and Ennis also never accepted him in the way he wanted to.... so he was doomed to be refused by everyone despite being so benevolent and caring person. But going to the beginning - it was his father who was the root of the problem. IMO, of course...

Oh, and yes! i don't think that he hated himself in the way Ennis did. He was willing to embrace things as they were.

I am not sure I agree with the verdict that Jack needs validation.

On the one hand, I agree with you that Jack's old man made Jack sensitive to male acceptance. It's why Ennis is so important to him. Ennis accepts him without qualification. The only problem is that Ennis cannot be with him all the time.

Jack's Ma accepted Jack and loved Jack unconditionally and I believe it is this love that made Jack the way he is, not the old man's rejection, or Newsome's, or the other cowboys'. Jack has a good sense of himself, and is willing to fight for what he wants. The rejection merely makes him want Ennis all the more. The scene at the child birth was telling. Immediately after old man Newsome cut down rodeo, throwing the keys at them, and Jack dropping them (unlike Ennis who caught the watch that Aquiere threw at him, not worth the bother to get up for him), Jack sent the postcard, thinking of Ennis and the magical moments on Brokeback Mountain, when they respected each other, and found companionship where none was expected.

The rejection pushed Jack, not pulled him.

The unconditional acceptance in SNIT is what draws Jack to Ennis, and to Bobby when the boy didn't know better. Once Bobby learned the snobbish way of the old man Newsome, once Ennis made clear that his acceptance out of bed had a leash attached, Jack was miserable.

To get back to topic, I suppose the need for male validation is what made Ennis and Jack desire and appreciate male companionship, but I doubt that made them gay.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jul 27, 2009, 04:26 PM
I am not sure I agree with the verdict that Jack needs validation.

On the one hand, I agree with you that Jack's old man made Jack sensitive to male acceptance. It's why Ennis is so important to him. Ennis accepts him without qualification. The only problem is that Ennis cannot be with him all the time.

Jack's Ma accepted Jack and loved Jack unconditionally and I believe it is this love that made Jack the way he is, not the old man's rejection, or Newsome's, or the other cowboys'. Jack has a good sense of himself, and is willing to fight for what he wants. The rejection merely makes him want Ennis all the more. The scene at the child birth was telling. Immediately after old man Newsome cut down rodeo, throwing the keys at them, and Jack dropping them (unlike Ennis who caught the watch that Aquiere threw at him, not worth the bother to get up for him), Jack sent the postcard, thinking of Ennis and the magical moments on Brokeback Mountain, when they respected each other, and found companionship where none was expected.

The rejection pushed Jack, not pulled him.

The unconditional acceptance in SNIT is what draws Jack to Ennis, and to Bobby when the boy didn't know better. Once Bobby learned the snobbish way of the old man Newsome, once Ennis made clear that his acceptance out of bed had a leash attached, Jack was miserable.

To get back to topic, I suppose the need for male validation is what made Ennis and Jack desire and appreciate male companionship, but I doubt that made them gay.

Very good point,  Jack's mother saw that the old man was withdrawn from his son, made up the difference,  maybe by being overprotective of him,  compensating for the loss of his father affection,  showing love and tenderness,  that Jack showed Ennis the SNIT.  It was at that moment finally each man true self was shown. 

Short lived though it was the SNIT is what takes hold of them,  and what they search for years later. It doesn't matter  how well Jack did,  or how much Ennis struggled,  they were living a life they presented to the world, the public validation of "straight" in order to survive,  and killing off their true self.  Finally Jack's unwillingness to go on with the denial of who he was and what he wanted and Ennis unwillingness even to acknowledge to himself he had deep feelings for Jack, that it caused him to breakdown, made that so clear in The Final Confrontation.  Each man living two lives, their "Brokeback life",  and their "straight life", and yearning for the "sweet life" was too hard to bear.    IMO
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 27, 2009, 10:38 PM
Very good point,  Jack's mother saw that the old man was withdrawn from his son, made up the difference,  maybe by being overprotective of him,  compensating for the loss of his father affection,  showing love and tenderness,  that Jack showed Ennis the SNIT.  It was at that moment finally each man true self was shown. 

The brilliance of their love shined in their infrequent couplings under the stars, in SNIT, or horseplay in broad daylight.

Jack's Ma was the nurturing mother to the Old Man's abusive father. The little moments when she showed love to Ennis encapsulated all those years when she gave Jack life, outside of the Old Man's abuse.
 
Short lived though it was the SNIT is what takes hold of them,  and what they search for years later. It doesn't matter  how well Jack did,  or how much Ennis struggled,  they were living a life they presented to the world, the public validation of "straight" in order to survive,  and killing off their true self.  Finally Jack's unwillingness to go on with the denial of who he was and what he wanted and Ennis unwillingness even to acknowledge to himself he had deep feelings for Jack, that it caused him to breakdown, made that so clear in The Final Confrontation.  Each man living two lives, their "Brokeback life",  and their "straight life", and yearning for the "sweet life" was too hard to bear.    IMO

Yes, living the double life finally caught up with them, emotionally for Jack and financially for Ennis.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jul 28, 2009, 06:20 AM
The brilliance of their love shined in their infrequent couplings under the stars, in SNIT, or horseplay in broad daylight.

Jack's Ma was the nurturing mother to the Old Man's abusive father. The little moments when she showed love to Ennis encapsulated all those years when she gave Jack life, outside of the Old Man's abuse.
 
Yes, living the double life finally caught up with them, emotionally for Jack and financially for Ennis.

Yes,  living this split life did affected Ennis deeply,   financially and emotionally,   the way he saw himself,  he was what his father hated,  killed for,  and this was who he was.  He kept Jack at a distance, but not too far away, only for times he felt he could give in to be with him, putting limits to his time with him.   I think his biggest fear was succumbing to this need,  and not be able to go back to his other life, that carefully made up persona he showed other people, because if he stay with Jack one day,  one week longer,  the flood gates would  open and his true self would pour out, and he could never go back to that person he showed the rest of the world.  IMO.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 28, 2009, 07:11 AM
At the risk of going too far out of topic, I would suggest that in the movie, we get very little sense of how much Jack reached out to his father (or even mother).  But the comment about his father never once going out of his way to see him ride does suggest a hunger for approval.

In any case, perhaps this discussion would be best continued in the corresponding thread for Jack...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 28, 2009, 09:48 AM
Yes,  living this split life did affected Ennis deeply,   financially and emotionally,   the way he saw himself,  he was what his father hated,  killed for,  and this was who he was.  He kept Jack at a distance, but not too far away, only for times he felt he could give in to be with him, putting limits to his time with him.   I think his biggest fear was succumbing to this need,  and not be able to go back to his other life, that carefully made up persona he showed other people, because if he stay with Jack one day,  one week longer,  the flood gates would  open and his true self would pour out, and he could never go back to that person he showed the rest of the world.  IMO.

Good point manhattangirl. Ennis was hanging on to the last shred of his straight persona. He wasn't able to jump into the water that was his love for Jack.

All those years of homophobia, being told the waters had sharks and monsters and terrible things. That's the evil of bigotry, telling lies that turn a beautiful love into something dark and dirty.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 29, 2009, 06:23 AM
Good point manhattangirl. Ennis was hanging on to the last shred of his straight persona. He wasn't able to jump into the water that was his love for Jack.

All those years of homophobia, being told the waters had sharks and monsters and terrible things. That's the evil of bigotry, telling lies that turn a beautiful love into something dark and dirty.

The proverbial hic sunt dracones of ignorance.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Jul 29, 2009, 07:32 AM
The proverbial hic sunt dracones of ignorance.

and of self hate and fear.  So unwilling to leave the shore.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 29, 2009, 10:36 AM
The proverbial hic sunt dracones of ignorance.

Ignorance? I think Ennis was more confused. It's why Cassie at the diner helped him so much, to finally understand, to see that what he and Jack had was love.

and of self hate and fear.  So unwilling to leave the shore.

Self-hate? Fear? Yup. It's what seeing his daddy did to Rich at the tender age of nine. Some memories never leave us, especially emotional, misunderstood childhood memories. It's why sexual predators of children should be gravely punished. The scars they leave are deep.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 30, 2009, 06:38 AM
Ignorance? I think Ennis was more confused. It's why Cassie at the diner helped him so much, to finally understand, to see that what he and Jack had was love.


"Ignorance" here should be taken in the antique term: of not knowing any better.  It invariably leads to confusion.  As when the map makers postulate the existence of monsters where nobody has ever tread.


Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 30, 2009, 11:37 AM

"Ignorance" here should be taken in the antique term: of not knowing any better.  It invariably leads to confusion.  As when the map makers postulate the existence of monsters where nobody has ever tread.



Ah....the benefits of a classical education, or Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_be_dragons

Quote

The only known use of this phrase is in the Latin form "HIC SVNT DRACONES" (i.e. hic sunt dracones) on the Lenox Globe[1] (ca. 1503-07). The term appeared on the east coast of Asia. Earlier maps contain a variety of references to mythical and real creatures, but the Lenox Globe is the only known surviving map to bear this phrase. The classical phrase utilized by ancient Roman and Medieval cartographers used to be HIC SVNT LEONES (literally, Here are lions) when denoting unknown territories on maps.


This thing with no reins ... sure scares the heck out of Ennis.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Jul 31, 2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks lance for citing the wikipedia explanation.  :)

It was unknown territiry to him, and he was certainly scared and confused.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 31, 2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks lance for citing the wikipedia explanation.  :)

It was unknown territiry to him, and he was certainly scared and confused.


That was the genius of Heath, who understood what gay men felt like facing what they feared, yet wanted. No actor has performed as well, in telling the story of a homophobic gay man, as Heath did.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 04, 2009, 08:45 AM
That was the genius of Heath, who understood what gay men felt like facing what they feared, yet wanted. No actor has performed as well, in telling the story of a homophobic gay man, as Heath did.

And I think his sense of internal conflict goes beyond sexuality.  There is something universal about it that touches us and reminds us of how hard it is to be human.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Aug 04, 2009, 02:43 PM
And I think his sense of internal conflict goes beyond sexuality.  There is something universal about it that touches us and reminds us of how hard it is to be human.

Beautifully said tpe! <^(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 05, 2009, 07:00 AM
Thanks loreen. 

After all, sexuality is a big part of the human experience.  It's a pity that many people even today don't want to recognize this -- a significant part of who they really are.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Aug 05, 2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks loreen. 

After all, sexuality is a big part of the human experience.  It's a pity that many people even today don't want to recognize this -- a significant part of who they really are.

 :*( :*( :*(

Keep on  talking please... ::) ::) ::)
________________________________

Sorry, couldn't resist! #) #) #)

Still, not so sure about it. People live in celibacy and they're doing fine... I hope so  ???
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 05, 2009, 07:06 AM
:*( :*( :*(

Keep on  talking please... ::) ::) ::)
________________________________

Sorry, couldn't resist! #) #) #)

Still, not so sure about it. People live in celibacy and they're doing fine... I hope so  ???

Well, celebacy does not erase the reality of sexuality.  Even eunuchs have sexual feelings.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Aug 05, 2009, 07:28 AM
Well, celebacy does not erase the reality of sexuality.  Even eunuchs have sexual feelings.


 :s) I am dumb!  ^*()

... about eunuchs I mean...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jedibarrister on Aug 05, 2009, 02:43 PM
I know I'm super late to this discussion, but why was there any doubt about Ennis' sexuality?  Because of Alma and Cassie?  In the book, he says something about liking it "fine" with women but that with Jack it was something else entirely.  For me, it kinda closed the book on the question: gay but in denial and trying to be "manly" for the other man in his bed.  But I've read a lot of essays that seem to want Ennis to be bi and I'm not sure why that's the case....why is Ennis better/worse/more understandable/less tragic/whatever if he was bi and not gay?  Or am I missing the issue entirely?
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 05, 2009, 03:32 PM
I know I'm super late to this discussion, but why was there any doubt about Ennis' sexuality?  Because of Alma and Cassie?  In the book, he says something about liking it "fine" with women but that with Jack it was something else entirely.  For me, it kinda closed the book on the question: gay but in denial and trying to be "manly" for the other man in his bed.  But I've read a lot of essays that seem to want Ennis to be bi and I'm not sure why that's the case....why is Ennis better/worse/more understandable/less tragic/whatever if he was bi and not gay?  Or am I missing the issue entirely?

Why is there any doubt that Ennis is bi? In the role of the devil's advocate, pinning a generic label on an individual is difficult at the best of time. It says more about the person doing the pinning than the person being pinned.

Is gay and straight measured in absolute terms, or in a spectrum from 0 to 100 as some people believe? Where would Ennis fall on the spectrum, if that was the case?

The point, in my opinion, is that the label is meaningless to the essence of the story. Ennis can be asexual for all that matters, and still make the story as poignant and tragic as ever. Forget about the marriage to Alma, if Ennis never married, but was still afraid to spend eternity with Jack, it would still be Brokeback Mountain. Indeed, even if Ennis were gay, and was married to Alan, but for whatever reason was afraid to marry Jack, it would still be Brokeback Mountain.

Placing the emphasis on the gayness of Ennis detracts from the tragedy of his fears to love and be loved. IMO.

Having said that, let me reiterate that as Heath said, Brokeback Mountain is about the homophobic gay man, Ennis, finding and losing his soul mate.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jedibarrister on Aug 05, 2009, 07:11 PM
I agree with Heath.  I never saw him as bi...just trapped.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: atalley on Aug 05, 2009, 10:12 PM
Loreen...In Biblical days, the Kings would have many wives & concubines.  They would castrate young men (Daniel being one) who would then watch after their harems.  That way, they knew they wouldn't be having sex w/ these women.  I'm studying the Book of Daniel & feel so sorry for him, but he never once got angry at God.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 05, 2009, 10:44 PM
Well, celebacy does not erase the reality of sexuality.  Even eunuchs have sexual feelings.


I am of the opinion, that sexuality and love are not equivalent. It is easy to confuse sexual feelings with love, in today's media promoted climate of hypersexuality. However, Brokeback Mountain is not about sex; the movie is about love. The sexuality is merely a part of the backdrop, like the mountain. It, they, form the important setting, but are not the essence of the message, the theme of love. As discussed in the thread, "Sex, friendship and love" sex is merely a small part of the relationship between Ennis and Jack. It is certainly an important part, but not sufficient on its own. Focusing on the sexuality is to miss the point of love, and the friendship.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: atalley on Aug 05, 2009, 10:58 PM
I am of the opinion, that sexuality and love are not equivalent. It is easy to confuse sexual feelings with love, in today's media promoted climate of hypersexuality. However, Brokeback Mountain is not about sex; the movie is about love. The sexuality is merely a part of the backdrop, like the mountain. It, they, form the important setting, but are not the essence of the message, the theme of love. As discussed in the thread, "Sex, friendship and love" sex is merely a small part of the relationship between Ennis and Jack. It is certainly an important part, but not sufficient on its own. Focusing on the sexuality is to miss the point of love, and the friendship.

I'm following you around tonight, Andrew.  This is also so true.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 06, 2009, 07:00 AM
:s) I am dumb!  ^*()

... about eunuchs I mean...

 ;D  Well, it's not from expereince that I said that! :)

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 06, 2009, 07:06 AM
I know I'm super late to this discussion, but why was there any doubt about Ennis' sexuality?  Because of Alma and Cassie?  In the book, he says something about liking it "fine" with women but that with Jack it was something else entirely.  For me, it kinda closed the book on the question: gay but in denial and trying to be "manly" for the other man in his bed.  But I've read a lot of essays that seem to want Ennis to be bi and I'm not sure why that's the case....why is Ennis better/worse/more understandable/less tragic/whatever if he was bi and not gay?  Or am I missing the issue entirely?

Well, the terminology "gay" appears to have different meanings/levels of significance to people, and I think that some of the discussion is rooted on our own individual notions of what it means to be gay.

But setting that aside, some people argue that Ennis never had any other relationship with a man.  Personally, I don't think this really proves anything.   And as in real life, we know that relationships with women and men doesn't necessarily prove bisexuality, especially in a repressed age...

I pretty much agree with your opinion, but it's clear that others see things differently.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 06, 2009, 09:46 AM
Well, the terminology "gay" appears to have different meanings/levels of significance to people, and I think that some of the discussion is rooted on our own individual notions of what it means to be gay.

But setting that aside, some people argue that Ennis never had any other relationship with a man.  Personally, I don't think this really proves anything.   And as in real life, we know that relationships with women and men doesn't necessarily prove bisexuality, especially in a repressed age...

I pretty much agree with your opinion, but it's clear that others see things differently.

The same can be said, relationships with men doesn't necessarily prove homosexuality. Indeed, if a label can be assigned based on a single occurrence, all manners of paradoxes arise. It is the basis of problems associated with  the effort of Russell and Whitehead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Mathematica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Mathematica) It is the basis of Godel's Theorm. There are fundamental limitations to our language and logic. Membership in a class is a classic example of this limitation. Those who have the strongest faith in logic are the very ones who have trouble accepting its limitation. The philosophical implication of Godel's Theorm is clear, and yet scientists and mathematicians often ignore it nonetheless. They can do that because fuzzy logic is not always applicable in the physical sciences. Labels are basic elements in fuzzy logic, and it can be said that Ennis is a little gay, a little bi, a little asexual, or even a little straight. He lies outside of the strictly binary world of straight-gay, even the strictly base-3 world of straight-bi-gay.

The love that is Ennis is beyond atomization, beyond definition. It simply is.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 07, 2009, 07:07 AM
The same can be said, relationships with men doesn't necessarily prove homosexuality. Indeed, if a label can be assigned based on a single occurrence, all manners of paradoxes arise. It is the basis of problems associated with  the effort of Russell and Whitehead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Mathematica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Mathematica) It is the basis of Godel's Theorm. There are fundamental limitations to our language and logic. Membership in a class is a classic example of this limitation. Those who have the strongest faith in logic are the very ones who have trouble accepting its limitation. The philosophical implication of Godel's Theorm is clear, and yet scientists and mathematicians often ignore it nonetheless. They can do that because fuzzy logic is not always applicable in the physical sciences. Labels are basic elements in fuzzy logic, and it can be said that Ennis is a little gay, a little bi, a little asexual, or even a little straight. He lies outside of the strictly binary world of straight-gay, even the strictly base-3 world of straight-bi-gay.

The love that is Ennis is beyond atomization, beyond definition. It simply is.

That is true.  But loving a man physically as well as emotionally usually does.  This dual aspect is of course missing in all of Ennis's relationships with women. 

Still, one can't exactly know for sure...  This is just the way I look at it.

   
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 07, 2009, 11:02 AM
That is true.  But loving a man physically as well as emotionally usually does.  This dual aspect is of course missing in all of Ennis's relationships with women. 

Still, one can't exactly know for sure...  This is just the way I look at it.
   

We don't know that the emotional AND physical aspect of the relationship is missing in his relationship with women. All we know is that those aspects in his relationship with Jack dominates his life. The latter is a relative measure. The former, as you stated it, is an absolute measure. My point exactly regarding the fuzzy aspect of labels.

We simply don't know if Ennis was a zero or a 50 or a 100. All we know FOR SURE is that there is only one Jack in his life.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Aug 08, 2009, 02:51 PM
I am of the opinion, that sexuality and love are not equivalent. It is easy to confuse sexual feelings with love, in today's media promoted climate of hypersexuality. However, Brokeback Mountain is not about sex; the movie is about love. The sexuality is merely a part of the backdrop, like the mountain. It, they, form the important setting, but are not the essence of the message, the theme of love. As discussed in the thread, "Sex, friendship and love" sex is merely a small part of the relationship between Ennis and Jack. It is certainly an important part, but not sufficient on its own. Focusing on the sexuality is to miss the point of love, and the friendship.

Yes, I agree. It's all about love: pure, deep, true love. Ennis and Jack are soulmates who loved each other completely, and having sex with each other was just one of the ways they expressed their true love. Their sexuality for each other was merely an expression and extension of that love, making love with each other was a meaningful and sacred experience that strengthened their already deep bond. That is what matters and those who focus on sexuality are missing the entire point of the story.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 08, 2009, 06:04 PM
Yes, I agree. It's all about love: pure, deep, true love. Ennis and Jack are soulmates who loved each other completely, and having sex with each other was just one of the ways they expressed their true love. Their sexuality for each other was merely an expression and extension of that love, making love with each other was a meaningful and sacred experience that strengthened their already deep bond. That is what matters and those who focus on sexuality are missing the entire point of the story.

Glad to hear another voice on this topic. Welcome to the discussions, athena.  #$#
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 10, 2009, 07:16 AM
We don't know that the emotional AND physical aspect of the relationship is missing in his relationship with women. All we know is that those aspects in his relationship with Jack dominates his life. The latter is a relative measure. The former, as you stated it, is an absolute measure. My point exactly regarding the fuzzy aspect of labels.

We simply don't know if Ennis was a zero or a 50 or a 100. All we know FOR SURE is that there is only one Jack in his life.

Well, my emphasizing the word "usually" implies that such as measure is never abolute. 

But we can speak of probabilities, even when there is no absolute certainty.  ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 10, 2009, 08:10 AM
Well, my emphasizing the word "usually" implies that such as measure is never abolute. 

But we can speak of probabilities, even when there is no absolute certainty.  ;)


Fuzzy labels are not simple probabilities. They are in fact simultaneous labels. A glass can be BOTH half full AND half empty. A temperature can be BOTH cool and lukewarm. Ennis can be BOTH gay and bi and asexual or whatever.

The irony of precision in labeling is that the error is greater when the non-fuzzy label is made more precise. But we digress...Fuzzy logic is an interesting topic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_logic
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 11, 2009, 07:39 AM
Fuzzy labels are not simple probabilities. They are in fact simultaneous labels. A glass can be BOTH half full AND half empty. A temperature can be BOTH cool and lukewarm. Ennis can be BOTH gay and bi and asexual or whatever.

The irony of precision in labeling is that the error is greater when the non-fuzzy label is made more precise. But we digress...Fuzzy logic is an interesting topic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_logic

I am not sure how and why the subject of labels came up here one again...  But let me quote myself:

Quote
That is true.  But loving a man physically as well as emotionally usually does [i.e., indicate homosexuality].  This dual aspect is of course missing in all of Ennis's relationships with women.

There is nothing fuzzy about this -- whether or not you believe this applies to Ennis.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 11, 2009, 09:54 AM
I am not sure how and why the subject of labels came up here one again...  But let me quote myself:

There is nothing fuzzy about this -- whether or not you believe this applies to Ennis.

I think we can agree to disagree.

To me, Ennis in his honeymoon, playing with Alma in the snow, have SOME emotional connection. Who is to say he does not have SOME sexual connection with her, too? Just because Jack is his soul mate, it does not necessarily mean he does NOT have emotional and sexual connections with women. The two are not exclusive...the very basis of fuzzy labels...they do not follow Artistolean logic.

"Ennis is not gay." is to force Ennis into the definition of a label.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Aug 11, 2009, 09:41 PM
I think we can agree to disagree.

To me, Ennis in his honeymoon, playing with Alma in the snow, have SOME emotional connection. Who is to say he does not have SOME sexual connection with her, too? Just because Jack is his soul mate, it does not necessarily mean he does NOT have emotional and sexual connections with women. The two are not exclusive...the very basis of fuzzy labels...they do not follow Artistolean logic.

"Ennis is not gay." is to force Ennis into the definition of a label.

Hmm, I always thought of the Ennis and Alma playing in the snow scene as more of a brother/sister kind of thing than of someone he actually has romantic feelings for. I do believe that Ennis was attracted to men (just like Jack) and had known it long before he met Jack. It was because of his father's and society's ingrained fear and homophobia that Ennis was afraid of those feelings, and hid them and tried to forget about them. I have a feeling that he had struggled with such feelings. Had Ennis never met Jack, it's true he would have never acted on his feelings, and therefore never had a romantic relationship with a man. He would have just lived the life that was expected of him (and missed out on true love of course), and probably would have grown old with Alma instead of divorcing her. But it doesn't mean that those feelings weren't inside Ennis somewhere. I also believe that it was only his soulmate, Jack, who could bring those feelings and allow Ennis to act on his repressed homosexuality, otherwise he never would have, but like I said, that doesn't change or take away Ennis's feelings, they would have just been stowed away and repressed, just like before he'd met Jack. Of course, I despise labels, and I don't like tacking labels on people, that's why I never think of Brokeback Mountain as a "gay" movie, I think of it as a story about true love between two soulmates. I'm not trying to label neither Ennis nor Jack, and their whole story is about their real, true, eternal love for each other and that is what must be focused on. I'm just saying that I do believe that Ennis had feelings for men, and that it had been a part of Ennis before he'd met Jack, he would have never acted on it though. Also, the way Ennis loved was completely and wholly, and once he's found his soulmate, that's whom he's in love with. (Same with Jack, the other men in his life were only a distraction and a way of numbing his pain because he couldn't be with Ennis) Ennis's relationship with Alma is seen by him as a duty, as what society expects of him, and therefore what he must comply with, because he feels he has no other choice in these circumstances. Later Cassie comes along when he doesn't even want a relationship, she basically drags him into it, and it makes a good cover for him so he goes along with it. And remember, Ennis wasn't very sexual, it was only Jack who felt comfortable with sexually, because that sex was an expression of his very deep feelings and true love for Jack. I also believe Jack is the only one in the world whom Ennis could have such strong sexual feelings for as well. Anyway when you look at the picture, it's clear that Ennis was for Jack and Jack was for Ennis and labels are unnecessary and meaningless.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 12, 2009, 01:44 AM
Hmm, I always thought of the Ennis and Alma playing in the snow scene as more of a brother/sister kind of thing than of someone he actually has romantic feelings for. I do believe that Ennis was attracted to men (just like Jack) and had known it long before he met Jack.

I don't agree but that's okay. Art is open to interpretation. Ennis is a complex character. He had relationships with Alma and Cassie. Jack seems to be more gay of the two. Even his relationship with Loreen is not so certain...the dance, with the song, and the look on his face, so clear that he was yearning for Ennis, or a man. His relationships with other men, showed that he is certainly more gay than Ennis. I don't think Ennis was attracted to men BEFORE Jack. He was not attracted to other men, even AFTER Jack. Both the movie and the shortstory stipulates that Ennis was wringing it out only thinking of Jack. One can argue that Ennis repressed his attraction to other men and if there was no Jack, he would be fooling around with other men. One can argue that way, but I don't think it's a valid argument. I go by what the movie and story say and Ennis was only attracted to Jack. He had enough of a relationship with Alma to raise two children, he had enough of a relationship with Cassie to have her falling in love with him. I doubt brother/sister connections would do that.

It was because of his father's and society's ingrained fear and homophobia that Ennis was afraid of those feelings, and hid them and tried to forget about them. I have a feeling that he had struggled with such feelings. Had Ennis never met Jack, it's true he would have never acted on his feelings, and therefore never had a romantic relationship with a man. He would have just lived the life that was expected of him (and missed out on true love of course), and probably would have grown old with Alma instead of divorcing her. But it doesn't mean that those feelings weren't inside Ennis somewhere.

This sounds like the tree that falls in the middle of the forest with no one around, did it make a sound? Or better yet, the Schrodinger Cat, is it alive or dead? I am not trying to be pedantic. We are asking some fundamental questions that goes to the core of metaphysics and philosophy. If Ennis never met the man, the ONLY man who made him feel the way he did, would he be gay? If a gay man never falls in love with another man, never engage in emotional or sexual connections with another man, never feel sexual attraction towards another man, is he gay?

These are the problems with labels. They are incomplete, inconsistent, and in some cases, irrelevant. In my opinion.

I also believe that it was only his soulmate, Jack, who could bring those feelings and allow Ennis to act on his repressed homosexuality, otherwise he never would have, but like I said, that doesn't change or take away Ennis's feelings, they would have just been stowed away and repressed, just like before he'd met Jack. Of course, I despise labels, and I don't like tacking labels on people, that's why I never think of Brokeback Mountain as a "gay" movie, I think of it as a story about true love between two soulmates.

I agree, my point exactly. It is not about gay, it is about love. Jack and Ennis were two souls that fit each other, that get each other, like no other souls. It matters not if their gender were the same, or different; it matters not if their races were the same or different. It was their love that could not be spoken in the open.

I'm not trying to label neither Ennis nor Jack, and their whole story is about their real, true, eternal love for each other and that is what must be focused on. I'm just saying that I do believe that Ennis had feelings for men, and that it had been a part of Ennis before he'd met Jack, he would have never acted on it though.

We are back to Ennis loving only one man, not men. He is not so much homosexual as Jacksexual.

Also, the way Ennis loved was completely and wholly, and once he's found his soulmate, that's whom he's in love with. (Same with Jack, the other men in his life were only a distraction and a way of numbing his pain because he couldn't be with Ennis)

Agreed. It is the one and constant love of Ennis, the long abiding patiently waiting unwavering love of Jack, that makes Brokeback Mountain special. It is not SNIT or FNIT or any of the sex scenes that makes Brokeback Mountain a great work of art.

Ennis's relationship with Alma is seen by him as a duty, as what society expects of him, and therefore what he must comply with, because he feels he has no other choice in these circumstances.

I don't agree. I think without Jack, Ennis would have been happy with Alma, in his own ways. He was happy with beans, not looking for meat or soup or whatever. I agree it would not be the same love that he had with Jack, but how many couples had the love between Ennis and Jack? Straight or otherwise.

Later Cassie comes along when he doesn't even want a relationship, she basically drags him into it, and it makes a good cover for him so he goes along with it. And remember, Ennis wasn't very sexual, it was only Jack who felt comfortable with sexually, because that sex was an expression of his very deep feelings and true love for Jack. I also believe Jack is the only one in the world whom Ennis could have such strong sexual feelings for as well.

Cassie may have dragged Ennis onto the dance floor but he enjoyed her attention, and being with her. By the time Cassie came along, Jack had been in his life for many many years. Cassie never had a chance, even if she were a man. Ennis was hooked on to Jack, the one and only.

Anyway when you look at the picture, it's clear that Ennis was for Jack and Jack was for Ennis and labels are unnecessary and meaningless.

Agreed. 100%. Labels are unnecessary and irrelevant in this case. Ennis is Ennis. That's all there is to it. In my opinion.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Aug 12, 2009, 03:55 AM
I still believe that Ennis did have attractions/feelings for men before he met Jack, or he wouldn't have had that ability to love Jack in the way he did. If someone is heterosexual, but they never actually have a romantic relationship with anyone in this life, it doesn't mean they don't have the potential to do so and it doesn't mean they aren't attracted/have feelings for certain people of that gender. When Ennis met Jack, he had the potential to fall in love with him, and in fact couldn't have fallen in love with him had he not had that potential. But the story is about two souls loving each other, so that's what matters. I really disagree that Ennis would have truly been happy with Alma had he never met Jack. No one except for Jack could bring out the real Ennis Del Mar. I think often people make the mistake of thinking Ennis was simple, but the truth is that he is very complex in so many ways.  And only Jack Twist got to really know him. Everyone else couldn't figure him out. The saying that still run waters run deep rings very true for Ennis. There's far more than what you see with Ennis. Just because he's not talking, it doesn't mean he isn't thinking and feeling. Ennis would never be able to have the deep, powerful, and special bond and connection he had with Jack with Alma, or anything close to it. And it's pretty obvious that his relationship with Cassie is extremely reluctant at first, and eventually became one of convenience as it provided a decent cover for a paranoid and fearful Ennis living alone in a place like Riverton after a divorce. I honestly don't believe that had there been no Jack, and had Ennis already divorced Alma, that Cassie would have had a chance either. Ennis would have probably just spent the rest of his life alone after his divorce in that situation. But of course I do think that Ennis wouldn't have divorced Alma had he never met Jack. He would have completely lived the life that was expected of him, and nothing more, nothing less. He would have endured it and kept his innermost thoughts and feelings hidden behind his facade. Ennis was someone who knew the rules and complied (unless he was with Jack). It's clear that Ennis's fears about homosexuality run deep because of the way he was raised by his father, by what his father showed him at such a young and tender age, and because of the society in which he lived. I think all those factors left the young man Ennis confused and deeply afraid in coming to terms with his real self. Ennis must have had some feelings, or else he wouldn't have become so attached to Jack as he did that summer. I understand what you are saying about the fact that Ennis wouldn't be going out with men had he never met Jack, that's true. It's true that Ennis would have never acted on those feelings had he never met Jack, but I do strongly believe there was something already there, and young Ennis didn't really know how to deal with it so he kept it hidden and repressed. I believe the reason Ennis wasn't attracted to other men after he met Jack, is because he had found his true love, and for Ennis and the way he loved, that meant not being attracted to anyone who wasn't Jack. It is normal for a person who finds true love, who has found their soulmate, to no longer find anyone else attractive because of their strong feelings for that special person. As for what Jack did, Jack the extrovert distracted himself and dealt with his pain in his way by having meaningless relationships with other men, Ennis, the introvert, dealt with his pain in his own way, quietly, and inwardly. The differences in how they dealt reflects the differences in their personalities. Again, the whole story is about true love, not about being "gay" or being "straight", whatever that's supposed to mean anyways. But what I'm saying is that just the way Ennis is, and the way he's afraid of his feelings in the very beginning the first summer on Brokeback Mountain, is revealing that this is a person who had been struggling on the inside for a while, knowing that he had feelings which conflicted with what the society he lived in expected from him. Had he never met Jack, all of that would have been hidden and repressed, and Ennis would have just been dutiful husband to Alma all his life, pushing any feelings back, neither happy nor sad, simply accepting what this life had handed him stoically, but his destined meeting and finding his soulmate, Jack, changed his life forever and in the end, makes him realize what his true feelings have been all along. But the bottom line is that it is a love story, and while we disagree on some points, I think we can all agree that it's about two souls who love each other deeply, truly, purely, and completely, and the tragedy is that they couldn't have the life they deserved together because of the circumstances they were in.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 12, 2009, 06:39 AM
I think we can agree to disagree.

To me, Ennis in his honeymoon, playing with Alma in the snow, have SOME emotional connection. Who is to say he does not have SOME sexual connection with her, too? Just because Jack is his soul mate, it does not necessarily mean he does NOT have emotional and sexual connections with women. The two are not exclusive...the very basis of fuzzy labels...they do not follow Artistolean logic.

"Ennis is not gay." is to force Ennis into the definition of a label.

I think of course of a lasting connection.  Everything has its "honeymoon", but time is the true test, as well as tribulations.

For me, "gay" is just a label as "homosexual".  As I have said previously, say "homosexual" to any person in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and they would immediately think of mental illness.  That was why the term "gay" was introduced almost a hunderd years ago: to find a terminology that does not stigmatize the love of man for man as something akin to insanity.  It is interesting to note how people now think "homosexuality" is the "proper" term.

What does this prove?  It proves that "labels" are colored by how people of a specific age or a specific point of view want to interpret them. 




Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 12, 2009, 09:50 AM
I think of course of a lasting connection.  Everything has its "honeymoon", but time is the true test, as well as tribulations.

For me, "gay" is just a label as "homosexual".  As I have said previously, say "homosexual" to any person in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and they would immediately think of mental illness.  That was why the term "gay" was introduced almost a hunderd years ago: to find a terminology that does not stigmatize the love of man for man as something akin to insanity.  It is interesting to note how people now think "homosexuality" is the "proper" term.

What does this prove?  It proves that "labels" are colored by how people of a specific age or a specific point of view want to interpret them. 

I agree that labels color people's perception of themselves and the world around them, sometimes with devastating consequences. It is especially true with "I ain't queer." It is commendable for the Queer Nation to take back the meaning of the word, and turn a hateful weapon into a source of pride. However, by definition, this commendable process says a lot about the meaninglessness of labels. We are who we say we are, not what labels say we are. That is my point.

I don't profess to know the history of the words that describe men-men sex. There was also the discussion, about gay, homosexual, etc. Those words originally described only sexual relations, not love. We have extended the meaning to include loving relations, and that is the other point. Gay love evolved over the ages not because it did or did not exist back then, but because society did not perceive it, did not allow it, did not acknowledge it. Greek literature has male lovers yet they are often not called homosexuals but friends. Why? Because the labels don't fit the phenomenon. The phenomenon transcends the label. To force a square peg through a round hole is an exercise in futility, in my opinion.

On to a different topic, "Everything has its honeymoon." is an interesting assertion. It applies to Ennis and Jack as well.

We have discussed in other threads the evolution of their relationship, from the reunion to the days sitting around the fire, by the river, drinking and talking. Does that mean Ennis and Jack are falling out of love?

We also discussed the importance of friendship, of doing things together, sharing the same interests, 'em days on Brokeback Mountain when the two shared goals, overcame obstacles, together. Alma and Ennis grew apart because they shared different goals: she wanted more material comfort, he just wanted Jack (or to make it gender neutral Jane). Their marriage broke apart for many reasons, not just because Ennis was gay.

Ennis, before meeting Jack, was a ranch hand with indeterminate sexual preference. Once living life together with Jack on the mountain for a couple months, Ennis was gay. Shrodinger's cat is alive.

EnnisJack was a gay couple. Ennis by himself, is only half of a whole; gay or straight is irrelevant. Jack is gay because that's what he brings to the relationship, among other things. Jack is the man that opened the box and let out Ennis' cat.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 12, 2009, 10:05 AM
I still believe that Ennis did have attractions/feelings for men before he met Jack, or he wouldn't have had that ability to love Jack in the way he did. If someone is heterosexual, but they never actually have a romantic relationship with anyone in this life, it doesn't mean they don't have the potential to do so and it doesn't mean they aren't attracted/have feelings for certain people of that gender. When Ennis met Jack, he had the potential to fall in love with him, and in fact couldn't have fallen in love with him had he not had that potential. But the story is about two souls loving each other, so that's what matters.

I think we under estimate the power of Jack on Ennis when we say Ennis would fall in love with another man if Jack never showed. My point is that Ennis fell for Jack and Jack alone precise because of the special connection between the two, and no other would fit like two shirts together. Ennis had the potential, only for Jack. Ennis is Jacksexual, not homosexual.

I really disagree that Ennis would have truly been happy with Alma had he never met Jack. No one except for Jack could bring out the real Ennis Del Mar. I think often people make the mistake of thinking Ennis was simple, but the truth is that he is very complex in so many ways.  And only Jack Twist got to really know him. Everyone else couldn't figure him out. The saying that still run waters run deep rings very true for Ennis. There's far more than what you see with Ennis. Just because he's not talking, it doesn't mean he isn't thinking and feeling. Ennis would never be able to have the deep, powerful, and special bond and connection he had with Jack with Alma, or anything close to it.

Agreed. And well-said. Not only did no one else figure out Ennis, more often than not, no one else bothered to look deeper. Jack was the one who respected him on the mountain, and out of that mutual respect, Ennis opened up, and said more words than he did in a year. That charmed Jack in ways that was deep and stirring. The look on his face, looking at Ennis, is priceless, a man in love. At that moment, they connected.

And it's pretty obvious that his relationship with Cassie is extremely reluctant at first, and eventually became one of convenience as it provided a decent cover for a paranoid and fearful Ennis living alone in a place like Riverton after a divorce. I honestly don't believe that had there been no Jack, and had Ennis already divorced Alma, that Cassie would have had a chance either. Ennis would have probably just spent the rest of his life alone after his divorce in that situation. But of course I do think that Ennis wouldn't have divorced Alma had he never met Jack. He would have completely lived the life that was expected of him, and nothing more, nothing less. He would have endured it and kept his innermost thoughts and feelings hidden behind his facade. Ennis was someone who knew the rules and complied (unless he was with Jack).

Again, agreed, and well-said. I believe that if Ennis never met Jack, he would go through not happy, but not unhappy either. He would simply go on living as he would any other day, never knowing nor suspecting there could be days like SNIT, or jumping down stairs two or three at a time.

It's clear that Ennis's fears about homosexuality run deep because of the way he was raised by his father, by what his father showed him at such a young and tender age, and because of the society in which he lived. I think all those factors left the young man Ennis confused and deeply afraid in coming to terms with his real self. Ennis must have had some feelings, or else he wouldn't have become so attached to Jack as he did that summer. I understand what you are saying about the fact that Ennis wouldn't be going out with men had he never met Jack, that's true. It's true that Ennis would have never acted on those feelings had he never met Jack, but I do strongly believe there was something already there, and young Ennis didn't really know how to deal with it so he kept it hidden and repressed. I believe the reason Ennis wasn't attracted to other men after he met Jack, is because he had found his true love, and for Ennis and the way he loved, that meant not being attracted to anyone who wasn't Jack. It is normal for a person who finds true love, who has found their soulmate, to no longer find anyone else attractive because of their strong feelings for that special person.

True enough. And a fair question. If Ennis never met Jack, would another man, like Jack, be able to make similar connections with Ennis after he had already married Alma? I suppose, under the same conditions, working and living together on Brokeback Mountain, Ennis and another man, similar to Jack in all aspects that matter, may make the same connections and fall in love. Like I said, Ennis is Jacksexaul. Does that make him gay? What if that other person is female, like Cassie, with all the fun and passion of Jack? It's another interesting hypothetical to explore, but we would never know for sure... the nature of what ifs.

As for what Jack did, Jack the extrovert distracted himself and dealt with his pain in his way by having meaningless relationships with other men, Ennis, the introvert, dealt with his pain in his own way, quietly, and inwardly. The differences in how they dealt reflects the differences in their personalities. Again, the whole story is about true love, not about being "gay" or being "straight", whatever that's supposed to mean anyways. But what I'm saying is that just the way Ennis is, and the way he's afraid of his feelings in the very beginning the first summer on Brokeback Mountain, is revealing that this is a person who had been struggling on the inside for a while, knowing that he had feelings which conflicted with what the society he lived in expected from him. Had he never met Jack, all of that would have been hidden and repressed, and Ennis would have just been dutiful husband to Alma all his life, pushing any feelings back, neither happy nor sad, simply accepting what this life had handed him stoically, but his destined meeting and finding his soulmate, Jack, changed his life forever and in the end, makes him realize what his true feelings have been all along. But the bottom line is that it is a love story, and while we disagree on some points, I think we can all agree that it's about two souls who love each other deeply, truly, purely, and completely, and the tragedy is that they couldn't have the life they deserved together because of the circumstances they were in.

Beautifully said athena. Jack was the Michaelangelo that freed Ennis from the marble of homophobia.  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Aug 12, 2009, 01:43 PM
I think we under estimate the power of Jack on Ennis when we say Ennis would fall in love with another man if Jack never showed. My point is that Ennis fell for Jack and Jack alone precise because of the special connection between the two, and no other would fit like two shirts together. Ennis had the potential, only for Jack. Ennis is Jacksexual, not homosexual.

It's true that Ennis would never have truly fallen in love with anyone, man or woman, if he'd never met Jack. He would never be able to love someone in the way that he loved his soulmate. He could never make the bond he made with him with anyone else. But Ennis did have the potential to fall in love with a man before he met Jack, which is precisely the reason he was able to do so. Of course had he never met Jack, his world would have been limited, he would just have his life with Alma, and nothing else and live in his own insular world. It would take a man exactly like Jack, with all his qualitie, his exact same personality, and his looks as well to make Ennis fall in love with that man. Of course it would take the soul of Jack, and only one person had that, Jack, but that doesn't mean that Ennis didn't have the ability and potential to fall in love with the right man if he ever came along, (and in this case, he most certainly did). Had Ennis never had any homosexual feelings of any sort at all, then his relationship would Jack would have been brotherly, not romantic. But again, what matters is that Ennis loved Jack completely, his soul and all. Ennis had the potential for a man like Jack, and a man like Jack was rare and hard to find in this world, but Ennis was destined to meet him against all odds.


 
Agreed. And well-said. Not only did no one else figure out Ennis, more often than not, no one else bothered to look deeper. Jack was the one who respected him on the mountain, and out of that mutual respect, Ennis opened up, and said more words than he did in a year. That charmed Jack in ways that was deep and stirring. The look on his face, looking at Ennis, is priceless, a man in love. At that moment, they connected.

Yes that's very true, Jack was the only one who truly bothered to look deeper and who truly gave Ennis a chance, and sought to understand him, not just be stumped by his quietness and his demeanor. Jack was the only one who understood that Ennis had built a wall around himself to protect himself and shield himself from the world around him. He was the only one who actually looked inside Ennis and saw his beautiful soul that he kept hidden.


To answer that other question, I think it is only if that man were to be exactly like Jack, then yes Ennis would fall in love with that man. Of course, guys who are exactly like Jack don't come around very often especially not in the setting Ennis lived in. So would he have a met someone exactly like him? No, and therefore he would have just kept all that potential to truly deeply love a man hidden. But I believe Ennis was destined to meet Jack no matter what. There was no way that it could be avoided, and no circumstances could be able to stand in the way of them meeting. As for the question as to whether someone else could have set the real Ennis free, and if they had been a woman like Cassie, I don't believe she would have been able to. Ennis would not have been able to have the same deep, true, powerful, pure, and eternal love he has with Jack with someone like Cassie. If Cassie had come along and he'd never met Jack, Ennis could never open up to her or anyone else the way he opened up to Jack. While Cassie did share certain qualities with Jack, she wasn't exactly like Jack. It wasn't just fun and passion that made Ennis fall in love with Jack. There was something far more, something that made Ennis for the first time in his life feel loved and included and understood. I don't believe Cassie really had the potential to look deeper into Ennis, Ennis would have still felt like a stranger around her, as he did around everyone except for Jack. He lived within his own walls and his own inward thoughts and feelings and it was something he never showed to the world. No one knew anything about how Ennis truly felt inside, and who he truly is inside. Only Jack unlocked those iron gates and understood him, therefore only he knew the real Ennis, and only he had the potential to know the real Ennis.

Thanks, lancecowboy. And that sentence is beautifully said as well. Jack was the only one who could unlock the door to Ennis's heart. That's why they are truly soulmates, and were meant to find each other, and meant for each other.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 12, 2009, 04:37 PM
It's true that Ennis would never have truly fallen in love with anyone, man or woman, if he'd never met Jack. He would never be able to love someone in the way that he loved his soulmate. He could never make the bond he made with him with anyone else. But Ennis did have the potential to fall in love with a man before he met Jack, which is precisely the reason he was able to do so. Of course had he never met Jack, his world would have been limited, he would just have his life with Alma, and nothing else and live in his own insular world. It would take a man exactly like Jack, with all his qualitie, his exact same personality, and his looks as well to make Ennis fall in love with that man. Of course it would take the soul of Jack, and only one person had that, Jack, but that doesn't mean that Ennis didn't have the ability and potential to fall in love with the right man if he ever came along, (and in this case, he most certainly did). Had Ennis never had any homosexual feelings of any sort at all, then his relationship would Jack would have been brotherly, not romantic. But again, what matters is that Ennis loved Jack completely, his soul and all. Ennis had the potential for a man like Jack, and a man like Jack was rare and hard to find in this world, but Ennis was destined to meet him against all odds.


 
Yes that's very true, Jack was the only one who truly bothered to look deeper and who truly gave Ennis a chance, and sought to understand him, not just be stumped by his quietness and his demeanor. Jack was the only one who understood that Ennis had built a wall around himself to protect himself and shield himself from the world around him. He was the only one who actually looked inside Ennis and saw his beautiful soul that he kept hidden.

I think Ennis also responded, in his own limited fashion, to Cassie, who also looked deeper to see more than the stoic cowboy.

I don't think we will ever know for sure if Ennis would have been happy with Cassie, if he never met Jack. Would have, and hypothetical are not very meaningful.

I think there was a special bond  between Ennis and Jack not only because of the men themselves, but also the circumstances on that mountain. The shared experiences drew them closer together like no other. If Ennis and Cassie were to share similar experiences, for example, running a bar together in town, or whatever, the experience may help them to bond. We will never know.

To answer that other question, I think it is only if that man were to be exactly like Jack, then yes Ennis would fall in love with that man. Of course, guys who are exactly like Jack don't come around very often especially not in the setting Ennis lived in. So would he have a met someone exactly like him? No, and therefore he would have just kept all that potential to truly deeply love a man hidden. But I believe Ennis was destined to meet Jack no matter what. There was no way that it could be avoided, and no circumstances could be able to stand in the way of them meeting. As for the question as to whether someone else could have set the real Ennis free, and if they had been a woman like Cassie, I don't believe she would have been able to. Ennis would not have been able to have the same deep, true, powerful, pure, and eternal love he has with Jack with someone like Cassie. If Cassie had come along and he'd never met Jack, Ennis could never open up to her or anyone else the way he opened up to Jack. While Cassie did share certain qualities with Jack, she wasn't exactly like Jack. It wasn't just fun and passion that made Ennis fall in love with Jack. There was something far more, something that made Ennis for the first time in his life feel loved and included and understood. I don't believe Cassie really had the potential to look deeper into Ennis, Ennis would have still felt like a stranger around her, as he did around everyone except for Jack. He lived within his own walls and his own inward thoughts and feelings and it was something he never showed to the world. No one knew anything about how Ennis truly felt inside, and who he truly is inside. Only Jack unlocked those iron gates and understood him, therefore only he knew the real Ennis, and only he had the potential to know the real Ennis.

Thanks, lancecowboy. And that sentence is beautifully said as well. Jack was the only one who could unlock the door to Ennis's heart. That's why they are truly soulmates, and were meant to find each other, and meant for each other.

Thank you, athena. Your fresh look at the movie helps me to appreciate it even more.  :c) ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Aug 12, 2009, 08:10 PM
I don't believe Ennis would have opened up to Cassie in the way he opened up to Jack, I believe Jack had the exact set of qualities and treated Ennis in the exact sort of way to make him open up, and that no other person could have done this, unless they were exactly like Jack, and of course Jack was very unique. Cassie, while her personality was similar in many ways to Jack, wasn't exactly like Jack, she was her own person with her own set of qualities, and not the exact set that brought out the ability and capacity of Ennis to love so truly and deeply. I don't believe either Ennis nor Jack was more or less "gay" than the other. I just believe they both had the potential to fall in love with a man, and they both had the ability and understanding of true love that enabled them to love so deeply and purely. And I'm glad that Ennis found his true love in this life, because although the circumstances they were in and although his fear made it difficult for them to be together, Ennis experienced something he would have never experienced in this life had Jack not come along. It was also something that enabled his soul to grow as well. It was destiny that their souls were brought together, it was meant to be. They are two human souls on a journey that's forever intertwined. Thanks again, lancecowboy.  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 12, 2009, 10:21 PM
I don't believe Ennis would have opened up to Cassie in the way he opened up to Jack, I believe Jack had the exact set of qualities and treated Ennis in the exact sort of way to make him open up, and that no other person could have done this, unless they were exactly like Jack, and of course Jack was very unique. Cassie, while her personality was similar in many ways to Jack, wasn't exactly like Jack, she was her own person with her own set of qualities, and not the exact set that brought out the ability and capacity of Ennis to love so truly and deeply. I don't believe either Ennis nor Jack was more or less "gay" than the other. I just believe they both had the potential to fall in love with a man, and they both had the ability and understanding of true love that enabled them to love so deeply and purely. And I'm glad that Ennis found his true love in this life, because although the circumstances they were in and although his fear made it difficult for them to be together, Ennis experienced something he would have never experienced in this life had Jack not come along. It was also something that enabled his soul to grow as well. It was destiny that their souls were brought together, it was meant to be. They are two human souls on a journey that's forever intertwined. Thanks again, lancecowboy.  :)

You are welcome athena.

We can agree to disagree. I see Ennis and Jack as unique, both as individuals and as a couple. As I said, it is not just Jack as a person, but also their experience that summer on Brokeback, which made Ennis attracted to Jack, and opened up the way he did to Jack, SNIT and all that.

Cassie has the potential to be like Jack, but as you said, she isn't and Ennis and her are not.

I like that last sentence...They are two human souls on a journey that's forever intertwined. You bet.  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Aug 12, 2009, 10:46 PM
You are welcome athena.

We can agree to disagree. I see Ennis and Jack as unique, both as individuals and as a couple. As I said, it is not just Jack as a person, but also their experience that summer on Brokeback, which made Ennis attracted to Jack, and opened up the way he did to Jack, SNIT and all that.

Cassie has the potential to be like Jack, but as you said, she isn't and Ennis and her are not.

I like that last sentence...They are two human souls on a journey that's forever intertwined. You bet.  ^f^

They are both unique, you're right. I don't believe one was more "gay" than the other, I believe they both had the potential to truly love a man, and they were each destined to find that man, which they did in each other. Their experience on Brokeback Mountain the first summer they met, gave them an ideal setting for their love to blossom. Neither one knew they would fall in love that summer when they first got there, but both of them left with their lives changed forever. It was the time in their lives that was right for them to meet each other. Their journey and their epic, true love go far beyond this life and far beyond this world as well. They are two souls who will always be together, and that's what matters.  :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 13, 2009, 07:02 AM
I agree that labels color people's perception of themselves and the world around them, sometimes with devastating consequences. It is especially true with "I ain't queer." It is commendable for the Queer Nation to take back the meaning of the word, and turn a hateful weapon into a source of pride. However, by definition, this commendable process says a lot about the meaninglessness of labels. We are who we say we are, not what labels say we are. That is my point.

I don't profess to know the history of the words that describe men-men sex. There was also the discussion, about gay, homosexual, etc. Those words originally described only sexual relations, not love. We have extended the meaning to include loving relations, and that is the other point. Gay love evolved over the ages not because it did or did not exist back then, but because society did not perceive it, did not allow it, did not acknowledge it. Greek literature has male lovers yet they are often not called homosexuals but friends. Why? Because the labels don't fit the phenomenon. The phenomenon transcends the label. To force a square peg through a round hole is an exercise in futility, in my opinion.

Just to note that the term "gay" was not originally intended for just sexual relations. 

It is famously used in a "notorious" poem written by Lord Alfred Douglas around 1894-1895, who was of course in the inner circle of Oscar Wilde.  This is sometimes cited as one of the earliest uses of the term "gay" in the English language and explicitly refers to the word in the context of a man loving another man.

It is cited in the excellent book "The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde".  I will try to find the poem online, if I can.

Quote
On to a different topic, "Everything has its honeymoon." is an interesting assertion. It applies to Ennis and Jack as well.

We have discussed in other threads the evolution of their relationship, from the reunion to the days sitting around the fire, by the river, drinking and talking. Does that mean Ennis and Jack are falling out of love?

We also discussed the importance of friendship, of doing things together, sharing the same interests, 'em days on Brokeback Mountain when the two shared goals, overcame obstacles, together. Alma and Ennis grew apart because they shared different goals: she wanted more material comfort, he just wanted Jack (or to make it gender neutral Jane). Their marriage broke apart for many reasons, not just because Ennis was gay.

Ennis, before meeting Jack, was a ranch hand with indeterminate sexual preference. Once living life together with Jack on the mountain for a couple months, Ennis was gay. Shrodinger's cat is alive.

EnnisJack was a gay couple. Ennis by himself, is only half of a whole; gay or straight is irrelevant. Jack is gay because that's what he brings to the relationship, among other things. Jack is the man that opened the box and let out Ennis' cat.


The end of a honeymoon doesn't of course imply falling out of love.   But when hard realities kick in, a relationship has to weather more than just lovers' quarrels and disagreements.  There is, of course, the reality of living a relationship within the context of the society they are embedded in.  It requires as much of friendship as of love.  And although Jack perhaps was the one who opened the box, he was as much emotionally and spiritually indebted to Ennis inasmuch as it was through Ennis that Jack found himself as both a lover and as a friend.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
Just to note that the term "gay" was not originally intended for just sexual relations. 

It is famously used in a "notorious" poem written by Lord Alfred Douglas around 1894-1895, who was of course in the inner circle of Oscar Wilde.  This is sometimes cited as one of the earliest uses of the term "gay" in the English language and explicitly refers to the word in the context of a man loving another man.

It is cited in the excellent book "The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde".  I will try to find the poem online, if I can.

That' s an interesting bit of "gay" history. I won't get into the precise moment when gay love was liberated in the literature. My point is NOT that it did not exist. My point is that mainstream society (not the gay people) viewed it differently. Again the perception thing. As late as the 80s, mainstream society still viewed gay culture as dominated by sex and promiscuity. Perceptions took a long time, and many courageous pioneers to change. The outing of athletes and prominent public figures helped. But I digress.

The end of a honeymoon doesn't of course imply falling out of love.   But when hard realities kick in, a relationship has to weather more than just lovers' quarrels and disagreements.  There is, of course, the reality of living a relationship within the context of the society they are embedded in.  It requires as much of friendship as of love.  And although Jack perhaps was the one who opened the box, he was as much emotionally and spiritually indebted to Ennis inasmuch as it was through Ennis that Jack found himself as both a lover and as a friend.

That is true. After Ennis and Alma return from their honeymoon, they were faced with the hard reality of raising children and poverty. This highlight their separate goals and their falling out of love. Even Ennis and Jack, after their initial reunion, they only had their camping trip to keep the friendship going. Although it was enough for Ennis, it was not enough for Jack. The final confrontation was as much a falling out as they could get. But they were soul mates with each other. Nothing changed.

If Ennis was simply gay, and not Jacksexual, then they would've parted company and moved on to the next fornication, to use a phrase from "Later Days". Even Jack, in his attempt to move, couldn't quit Ennis. "I wish I knew how to quit you." speaks to the transcendental nature of their relationship.

They are both unique, you're right. I don't believe one was more "gay" than the other, I believe they both had the potential to truly love a man, and they were each destined to find that man, which they did in each other. Their experience on Brokeback Mountain the first summer they met, gave them an ideal setting for their love to blossom. Neither one knew they would fall in love that summer when they first got there, but both of them left with their lives changed forever. It was the time in their lives that was right for them to meet each other. Their journey and their epic, true love go far beyond this life and far beyond this world as well. They are two souls who will always be together, and that's what matters.  :)

I just realized, reading your statement, that it is not about which one is more gay, but rather, which one is more homophobic.

Ennis is definitely the one which is more homophobic.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: athena0204 on Aug 13, 2009, 05:02 PM

I just realized, reading your statement, that it is not about which one is more gay, but rather, which one is more homophobic.

Ennis is definitely the one which is more homophobic.

Yes, Jack was always more open and who he was, and didn't really care who knew. But Ennis thought he was just protecting both Jack and himself by keeping themselves apart, and he did have a right to feel that way in such a society. In the end I think he realizes they would have been safer together.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 14, 2009, 07:07 AM
That' s an interesting bit of "gay" history. I won't get into the precise moment when gay love was liberated in the literature. My point is NOT that it did not exist. My point is that mainstream society (not the gay people) viewed it differently. Again the perception thing. As late as the 80s, mainstream society still viewed gay culture as dominated by sex and promiscuity. Perceptions took a long time, and many courageous pioneers to change. The outing of athletes and prominent public figures helped. But I digress.

This might be a digression, but I would like to comment that this is not exactly true.  In England, despite stringent puritanical laws, homosexuality between men of the upper classes was not exactly viewed as dominated by sex and promiscuity.  In fact, it was quite the opposite.  And ironically, homosexual relationships in the context of the lower classes were implicitly recognized and (in some quarters) accepted/assumed.  What was objected to were relationships between men of different classes -- which was considered subversive to the social order.  In such cases, the law was selectively applied to punish the offenders.   

And incidentally, the Code Napoleon in 19th century France recognized homosexual relationships early on -- implying that it wasn't just about casual sex and promiscuity, but something more stable and established.

Quote
If Ennis was simply gay, and not Jacksexual, then they would've parted company and moved on to the next fornication, to use a phrase from "Later Days". Even Jack, in his attempt to move, couldn't quit Ennis. "I wish I knew how to quit you." speaks to the transcendental nature of their relationship.

Well, for me, to be "gay" doesn't mean that one moves from one fornication to the next.  The stereotype here is again rooted in associating the origins and meaning of the term "gay" with the promiscuous aspects of the Sexual Revolution in the 1960s and 1970s, which I have already shown to be inaccurate.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 14, 2009, 12:05 PM
The discussion has been moved from one context to the next.

You originally used "gay" in the generic context, so I responded in the sense of the big picture, i.e. historical for most cultures.

Then you jumped into the specific case of Oscar Wilde with Lord Alfred Douglas. And now expand to the upper British class. And then refer to your own view on "gay".

As I pointed out from the beginning, and you prove this very well, labels are imprecise and context dependent, and really can only be used as a guide for approximation. ANY attempt to make it precise and dominant is an exercise in futility.

This might be a digression, but I would like to comment that this is not exactly true.  In England, despite stringent puritanical laws, homosexuality between men of the upper classes was not exactly viewed as dominated by sex and promiscuity.  In fact, it was quite the opposite.  And ironically, homosexual relationships in the context of the lower classes were implicitly recognized and (in some quarters) accepted/assumed.  What was objected to were relationships between men of different classes -- which was considered subversive to the social order.  In such cases, the law was selectively applied to punish the offenders.   

No offense to the British, but their sexual frustration is well-known, not only in homosexual matters, i.e. public school boarding school hazing etc, but also in heterosexual matters. The phrase Victorian comes to mind. I don't think it is a fair application to use the British model to judge universal human qualities. I won't even get into the hypocritical class inequalities, where aristocracies get away with much more than the lower classes. Alan Turing was another victim of this system. But that's another topic.

And incidentally, the Code Napoleon in 19th century France recognized homosexual relationships early on -- implying that it wasn't just about casual sex and promiscuity, but something more stable and established.

Well, for me, to be "gay" doesn't mean that one moves from one fornication to the next.  The stereotype here is again rooted in associating the origins and meaning of the term "gay" with the promiscuous aspects of the Sexual Revolution in the 1960s and 1970s, which I have already shown to be inaccurate.

As I said, the discussion is not about how gay people perceive the label gay, as much as how mainstream society perceive the label gay. As far as Ennis is concerned, he ain't queer, using the perception that his father, and society in general used the term. I am fairly certain Ennis had no knowledge of Oscar Wilde, or the Stonewall riot. He did mention something about Denver, so he was NOT totally ignorant, but that "gay" world is literally another world for him. Again, we return to the imprecision and ambiguities of labels.

We can continue to chase this circular argument over and over without conclusion, and miss the point of the movie. As Heath pointed out, the movie is not about two gay cowboys, but two SOULS in love. To chase after the gay angle is pointless. In my opinion. Why don't we chase after the ranch hand angle? Because it is not as glamorous as the cowboy angle. Why do we chase after the gay angle? Because it satisfy some need for validation. I am happy to accept Ennis the way he is, gay or not, cowboy or ranch hand, handsome or plain, old or young, whatever.

A soul has no material qualities. Just my two cents.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 17, 2009, 07:04 AM
The discussion has been moved from one context to the next.

You originally used "gay" in the generic context, so I responded in the sense of the big picture, i.e. historical for most cultures.

Then you jumped into the specific case of Oscar Wilde with Lord Alfred Douglas. And now expand to the upper British class. And then refer to your own view on "gay".

As I pointed out from the beginning, and you prove this very well, labels are imprecise and context dependent, and really can only be used as a guide for approximation. ANY attempt to make it precise and dominant is an exercise in futility.

No offense to the British, but their sexual frustration is well-known, not only in homosexual matters, i.e. public school boarding school hazing etc, but also in heterosexual matters. The phrase Victorian comes to mind. I don't think it is a fair application to use the British model to judge universal human qualities. I won't even get into the hypocritical class inequalities, where aristocracies get away with much more than the lower classes. Alan Turing was another victim of this system. But that's another topic.

Most cultures?  If I recall correctly, only the Judeo-Christian tradition had any moralistic problems about homosexuality.  In Asia, they are wont to say that homosexuality had never been a moral issue for them.

Labels are imprecise?  ALL language is an approximation of abstract concepts.  Should we drop using words just because they don't capture the full meaning of thease concepts?   Strictly speaking, EVERY word in EVERY language is a LABEL. 

Quote
As I said, the discussion is not about how gay people perceive the label gay, as much as how mainstream society perceive the label gay. As far as Ennis is concerned, he ain't queer, using the perception that his father, and society in general used the term. I am fairly certain Ennis had no knowledge of Oscar Wilde, or the Stonewall riot. He did mention something about Denver, so he was NOT totally ignorant, but that "gay" world is literally another world for him. Again, we return to the imprecision and ambiguities of labels.

We can continue to chase this circular argument over and over without conclusion, and miss the point of the movie. As Heath pointed out, the movie is not about two gay cowboys, but two SOULS in love. To chase after the gay angle is pointless. In my opinion. Why don't we chase after the ranch hand angle? Because it is not as glamorous as the cowboy angle. Why do we chase after the gay angle? Because it satisfy some need for validation. I am happy to accept Ennis the way he is, gay or not, cowboy or ranch hand, handsome or plain, old or young, whatever.

A soul has no material qualities. Just my two cents.

Well, I am in the opinion that the soul and the body are tied intrinsically with each other -- a very Greek concept, I would say.  But I think I know what you mean.

Let us leave it at that.  I have expounded so many times what I think is the futility of this discussion about "labels", because for me, it does not hold water -- from the standpoint of history or linguistics.  Such a bias has no foundation, IMO.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 17, 2009, 12:27 PM
Most cultures?  If I recall correctly, only the Judeo-Christian tradition had any moralistic problems about homosexuality.  In Asia, they are wont to say that homosexuality had never been a moral issue for them.

When you say "moral", it appears to be equivalent to "religious" in which case, you mean Judeo-Christian, but that applies to Muslims, too.

However, if "moral" refers to a broader social aspect of "accepted correct behavior", then Asian cultures also have deep roots against/discriminate against homosexuality. No matter how you slice it, the label carries negative/undesirable meaning that no one would choose to be gay. The point here, is homophobia, the fear of being something you are. And more generically, as Tony pointed out in another thread, it is about fear of love. Ennis was tormented by his fear of love, and his yearning for love. That is the point of the movie.

Labels are imprecise?  ALL language is an approximation of abstract concepts.  Should we drop using words just because they don't capture the full meaning of thease concepts?   Strictly speaking, EVERY word in EVERY language is a LABEL. 

Agreed. It is why logic expositions using words/labels often fail where a short poem or a work of art can convey volumes. It is the very nature of words/labels that restrict them from expressing what are meaningful and important. Poetry transcends logic, and conveys sublime abstract concepts using fuzzy labels. It is when labels are fuzzy, and treated as such, that the power of language is fully realized. To wish to make labels more precise, to insist on precision, is to fall into the trap of the logicians and many other sophist and philosophers who became more concerned about the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin, instead of appreciating the glory and beauty of angels.

Well, I am in the opinion that the soul and the body are tied intrinsically with each other -- a very Greek concept, I would say.  But I think I know what you mean.

Let us leave it at that.  I have expounded so many times what I think is the futility of this discussion about "labels", because for me, it does not hold water -- from the standpoint of history or linguistics.  Such a bias has no foundation, IMO.



Yes, we can agree to disagree and leave it at. I am thankful for this forum for opportunities to exchange different ideas, because the process helps me to learn, and to see more clearly.  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 18, 2009, 08:00 AM
When you say "moral", it appears to be equivalent to "religious" in which case, you mean Judeo-Christian, but that applies to Muslims, too.

However, if "moral" refers to a broader social aspect of "accepted correct behavior", then Asian cultures also have deep roots against/discriminate against homosexuality. No matter how you slice it, the label carries negative/undesirable meaning that no one would choose to be gay. The point here, is homophobia, the fear of being something you are. And more generically, as Tony pointed out in another thread, it is about fear of love. Ennis was tormented by his fear of love, and his yearning for love. That is the point of the movie.

This is debatable.  The funny thing is that I have had such a conversation with my Chinese friends who insist that Chinese civilization has never discriminated againt homosexuals (and I pointed out a few "exceptions" to this.)  There is certainly NO exception in Japan, where the love of man for man was considered the preserve of Samurai and Buddhist monks -- as a more "healthy" alternative to the "effeminate" love for a woman.

And we haven't even talked about India.  The Kama Sutra is of course documents both heterosexual and homosexual practices, and does not pass "moral" judgement on either one.

And of course, much of Classical Greek/Roman/Persian/Near-Eastern civilizations didn't discriminate.  Even in Medieval Islam, during the so-called "Golden Period", homosexuality was much more accepted (as was the drinking of wine, for instance) and even celebrated (c.f., Rumi, the 1001 Nights,  the Gulistan, etc.) 
 
Quote
Agreed. It is why logic expositions using words/labels often fail where a short poem or a work of art can convey volumes. It is the very nature of words/labels that restrict them from expressing what are meaningful and important. Poetry transcends logic, and conveys sublime abstract concepts using fuzzy labels. It is when labels are fuzzy, and treated as such, that the power of language is fully realized. To wish to make labels more precise, to insist on precision, is to fall into the trap of the logicians and many other sophist and philosophers who became more concerned about the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin, instead of appreciating the glory and beauty of angels.

Yes, we can agree to disagree and leave it at. I am thankful for this forum for opportunities to exchange different ideas, because the process helps me to learn, and to see more clearly.  ^f^

Yes, we can certainly agree to disagree here.  I do see and understand your point of view. :)  Thanks for keeping the discussion lively and interesting!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 18, 2009, 08:55 AM
This is debatable.  The funny thing is that I have had such a conversation with my Chinese friends who insist that Chinese civilization has never discriminated againt homosexuals (and I pointed out a few "exceptions" to this.)  There is certainly NO exception in Japan, where the love of man for man was considered the preserve of Samurai and Buddhist monks -- as a more "healthy" alternative to the "effeminate" love for a woman.

And we haven't even talked about India.  The Kama Sutra is of course documents both heterosexual and homosexual practices, and does not pass "moral" judgement on either one.

And of course, much of Classical Greek/Roman/Persian/Near-Eastern civilizations didn't discriminate.  Even in Medieval Islam, during the so-called "Golden Period", homosexuality was much more accepted (as was the drinking of wine, for instance) and even celebrated (c.f., Rumi, the 1001 Nights,  the Gulistan, etc.) 

I don't know about Japanese and Indian practices. But since you mentioned about Monks and Samurais, I do recall Boswell wrote about early Christian monks permitting homosexual relations, and even covenants for couples. Romans and Celts also had homosexual warriors, called berserkers. These might have been accepted as special cases, but they were never part of mainstream society. In other words, you could never be homosexual and lead a normal life, as a merchant, or scholar, or king, for example. We tend to forget, in today's society full of freedom, that in the old days, freedom was a precious commodity that was privy to the privileged few. Everyone else were to follow the rules of society.
 
 
Yes, we can certainly agree to disagree here.  I do see and understand your point of view. :)  Thanks for keeping the discussion lively and interesting!

While looking up the meaning of cognitive maps, from another discussion, I also found the meaning for fuzzy cognitive maps, and their many applications. Your assertion that imprecise labels and fuzzy concepts carrying more weight than precise labels don't hold water, seems to be misplaced faith on the power of human reason.

Computers have a lot of precision, but they don't have understanding, precisely because labels, when precise, fail to capture the essence of the human experience. The word gay, simply is misleading and the question "Is Ennis gay?" is simply missing the point. The relevant question is, "Is Ennis homophobic?" and of course, the answer is a resounding yes. "Does Ennis love Jack?" Again the answer is yes. And finally, "Is the conflict between his homophobia and his love for Jack the force that destroyed his marriage and his chances for the sweet life?" The answer to the former is maybe, while the answer to the last is certainly.

I assert that it is not his sexuality but his fear and yearning for love, the love that he found in Jack, more than anywhere else, which tormented Ennis, even to the end.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 19, 2009, 07:11 AM
I don't know about Japanese and Indian practices. But since you mentioned about Monks and Samurais, I do recall Boswell wrote about early Christian monks permitting homosexual relations, and even covenants for couples. Romans and Celts also had homosexual warriors, called berserkers. These might have been accepted as special cases, but they were never part of mainstream society. In other words, you could never be homosexual and lead a normal life, as a merchant, or scholar, or king, for example. We tend to forget, in today's society full of freedom, that in the old days, freedom was a precious commodity that was privy to the privileged few. Everyone else were to follow the rules of society.

There is certainly some evidence to support what you said regarding Christian monks.  The famous example is the school of Alcuin of York at the court of Charlemagne.  They even left a body of homoerotic verse that is quite beautiful.

It's really hard to tell what happened in the monasteries -- the rule of celebacy cam rather late with priests, but it took root very early in the monasteries, to be sure.  But one wonders whether celebacy included same-sex intimacy -- the same way that the Cluniacs allowed for lard even though the monastic rule explicitly forbad the eating of meat.

Quote
While looking up the meaning of cognitive maps, from another discussion, I also found the meaning for fuzzy cognitive maps, and their many applications. Your assertion that imprecise labels and fuzzy concepts carrying more weight than precise labels don't hold water, seems to be misplaced faith on the power of human reason.

Computers have a lot of precision, but they don't have understanding, precisely because labels, when precise, fail to capture the essence of the human experience. The word gay, simply is misleading and the question "Is Ennis gay?" is simply missing the point. The relevant question is, "Is Ennis homophobic?" and of course, the answer is a resounding yes. "Does Ennis love Jack?" Again the answer is yes. And finally, "Is the conflict between his homophobia and his love for Jack the force that destroyed his marriage and his chances for the sweet life?" The answer to the former is maybe, while the answer to the last is certainly.

I assert that it is not his sexuality but his fear and yearning for love, the love that he found in Jack, more than anywhere else, which tormented Ennis, even to the end.


Well, I do believe that labels are always approximates and that they change meaning over time.  And this has always been the premise in much of "exact" sciences, anyway.

And yes, I do agree that Ennis was homophobic...

Finally, I believe that it was both his sexuality and his fear to love -- for me,both are intrinsically bound to each other.



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 19, 2009, 09:55 AM

There is certainly some evidence to support what you said regarding Christian monks.  The famous example is the school of Alcuin of York at the court of Charlemagne.  They even left a body of homoerotic verse that is quite beautiful.

It's really hard to tell what happened in the monasteries -- the rule of celebacy cam rather late with priests, but it took root very early in the monasteries, to be sure.  But one wonders whether celebacy included same-sex intimacy -- the same way that the Cluniacs allowed for lard even though the monastic rule explicitly forbad the eating of meat.

Thanks for the reference. Charlemagne was an interesting period of history. His court was an early mini-Renaissance and a Golden period in history. I didn't know about Alcuin, and wikipedia has a lot of interesting bits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcuin , including the reference to John Boswell's discussion of some poetry with homoerotic tones. I will try and find some online and start a new thread. It's worth pursuing. By the way, John Boswell was quite the pioneer in re-discovering early homosexual history. I just found on wikipedia that he died back in 1994 of AIDS.  :(

Well, I do believe that labels are always approximates and that they change meaning over time.  And this has always been the premise in much of "exact" sciences, anyway.

And yes, I do agree that Ennis was homophobic...

Finally, I believe that it was both his sexuality and his fear to love -- for me,both are intrinsically bound to each other.

It occurred to me, through the discussion here, that if a man who has the potential to be attracted to another man, is by definition gay, then by the same logic, a man who has the potential to be attracted to a woman, is by definition straight. In other words, most men, by that same logic is bisexual.

As I said, these labels, are not just approximate, they are fuzzy with overlapping ranges. Even the word, homophobic, can carries many levels of fear. Ennis Del Mar, for certain, is on the extreme range of homophobia.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 19, 2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks to tpe's reference to Alcuin's homoerotic poetry, which I haven't found yet, I have re-read some of Boswell's works available online, and found another figure prominent in early Christian and homosexual history, Ailred of Rievaulx.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailred_of_Rievaulx

I'd like to start a new topic, discussing the "gay" label as perceived by different cultures and epochs in history. If the thread is not deleted by moderators, I will post the link here.

http://ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=15706.msg959576#msg959576

For now, here is a link to the portion of Boswell's work which is relevant to our current discussion. It is slightly off topic (not related to Ennis) but it spoke of homosexuality as accepted by early Christian Europe, until the year 1150. Boswell pointed out that within a short time, a wave of intolerance swept through Europe. Gay people and Jews as well as Muslims and pagans became objects of prosecution. Women also began to be subjugated to men.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/1979boswell.html

Quote
After the twelfth century Christian tolerance and acceptance of gay love seems to disappear with remarkable rapidity. The writings of St. Aelred disappeared because they were kept locked up in Cistercian monasteries until about eight years ago, when for the first time Cistercians could again read them. Beginning about 1150, for reasons I cannot adequately explain, there was a great upsurge in popular intolerance of gay people. There were also at this time violent outbursts against Jews, Muslims, and witches. Women were suddenly excluded from power structures to which they had previously had access-no longer able, for example, to attend universities in which they had previously been enrolled. double monasteries for men and women were closed. There was suspicion of everyone. In 1180 the Jews were expelled from France.

The change was rapid. In England in the 12th century there were no laws against Jews and they occupied prominent positions, but by the end of the 13th century, sleeping with a Jew was equated with sleeping with an animal or with murder, and in France Jews, according to St. Louis, were to be killed on the spot if they questioned the Christian faith. During this time there are many popular diatribes against gay people as well, suggesting that they molest children, violate natural law, are bestial? and bring harm to nations which tolerate them. Within a single century. between the period of 1250 and 1350, almost every European state passed civil laws demanding death for a single homosexual act. This popular reaction affected Christian theology a great deal. Throughout the 12th century homosexual relations, had, at worst, been comparable to heterosexual fornication for married people, and, at best, not sinful at all. During the 13th century, because of this popular reaction, writers like Thomas Aquinas tried to portray homosexuality as one of the very worst sins, second only to murder.

In other words, it is not quite correct that Judeo-Christian traditions condemn homosexuality. The condemnation is a more recent tradition.

So far as I can make out in the literature, homosexuality was tolerated as different, but not morally wrong in Rome or Greece, etc. Homophobia, along with other prejudices, xenophobia etc, came about in the 12th century, which also saw the beginning of crusades, in 1095. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

Thanks again, for the interesting discussion.  ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jedibarrister on Aug 19, 2009, 11:16 PM
Quote
I think Ennis also responded, in his own limited fashion, to Cassie, who also looked deeper to see more than the stoic cowboy.

I don't think we will ever know for sure if Ennis would have been happy with Cassie, if he never met Jack. Would have, and hypothetical are not very meaningful.

I think there was a special bond  between Ennis and Jack not only because of the men themselves, but also the circumstances on that mountain. The shared experiences drew them closer together like no other. If Ennis and Cassie were to share similar experiences, for example, running a bar together in town, or whatever, the experience may help them to bond. We will never know.

Late to this discussion but in my view, Cassie was a disguise.  I saw nothing about her that was anything like Jack.  The only similarity was that she, like Jack, reached out and pierced Ennis' shield.  But otherwise, Cassie was FEMALE and Jack was MALE.  Only if Ennis was "bi" could Cassie have a shot at meaning to Ennis anything like what Jack did.  And that Ennis could simply walk away from Cassie, that he could simply ignore her and go back in his shield tells me that Cassie was simply a diversion, a last ditch effort at being "normal" and Jack's last speech to him finally showed him for what he was: queer.  So if Ennis hadn't met Jack, would he have been happy with Cassie?  No.  Because he'd still be in a crap marriage with Alma.  Alma only drew away from Ennis and the marriage after seeing her husband making out with another man and quitting jobs to spend his only vacation times with that man (and not her and their kids).  So no Jack, no failed marriage, no Cassie.  On a side note, Cassie was one sentence in the short story...further highlighting her lack of importance to Ennis or the story.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 20, 2009, 01:06 AM
Late to this discussion but in my view, Cassie was a disguise.  I saw nothing about her that was anything like Jack.  The only similarity was that she, like Jack, reached out and pierced Ennis' shield.  But otherwise, Cassie was FEMALE and Jack was MALE.  Only if Ennis was "bi" could Cassie have a shot at meaning to Ennis anything like what Jack did.  And that Ennis could simply walk away from Cassie, that he could simply ignore her and go back in his shield tells me that Cassie was simply a diversion, a last ditch effort at being "normal" and Jack's last speech to him finally showed him for what he was: queer.  So if Ennis hadn't met Jack, would he have been happy with Cassie?  No.  Because he'd still be in a crap marriage with Alma.  Alma only drew away from Ennis and the marriage after seeing her husband making out with another man and quitting jobs to spend his only vacation times with that man (and not her and their kids).  So no Jack, no failed marriage, no Cassie.  On a side note, Cassie was one sentence in the short story...further highlighting her lack of importance to Ennis or the story.

Welcome to the discussion, jedibarrister.

I am not fond of "what ifs" and "coulda beens" so I won't argue about Cassie's role if Ennis never met Jack.

You made an interesting point that Cassie was similar to Jack in the sense that they both pierced Ennis' shield.

I don't see Cassie as Ennis' way of pretending to be normal. I see her as his way of dealing with loneliness, like Jack's excursion to Mexico and liaison with Randall (if that existed). In a sense, the fact that Ennis could perform with Cassie, and continue a relationship that led her to fall in love with him, point to Ennis' bisexuality. I won't argue the point that he was bisexual, but I am simply saying that the jury is still out on his sexuality as far as I am concerned. All we know for certain, 100%, is that Ennis loved and yearned for only one person, Jack. The fact that Jack is a man, in my opinion, is irrelevant.

As for the breakup between Ennis and Alma, I don't think it was in the sex department, but in the relationship. They fell out of love when their goals in life no longer coincide. She wanted more, and he was content with beans.

Just my two cents.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: tpe on Aug 20, 2009, 07:16 AM
Late to this discussion but in my view, Cassie was a disguise.  I saw nothing about her that was anything like Jack.  The only similarity was that she, like Jack, reached out and pierced Ennis' shield.  But otherwise, Cassie was FEMALE and Jack was MALE.  Only if Ennis was "bi" could Cassie have a shot at meaning to Ennis anything like what Jack did.  And that Ennis could simply walk away from Cassie, that he could simply ignore her and go back in his shield tells me that Cassie was simply a diversion, a last ditch effort at being "normal" and Jack's last speech to him finally showed him for what he was: queer.  So if Ennis hadn't met Jack, would he have been happy with Cassie?  No.  Because he'd still be in a crap marriage with Alma.  Alma only drew away from Ennis and the marriage after seeing her husband making out with another man and quitting jobs to spend his only vacation times with that man (and not her and their kids).  So no Jack, no failed marriage, no Cassie.  On a side note, Cassie was one sentence in the short story...further highlighting her lack of importance to Ennis or the story.

Certainly, Cassie in the movie was an amplification of the character suggested in the ss.

I think I gave similar views in another (?) thread regarding Cassie -- that she was a "disguise", as you put it.  I think part of Ennis's redemption in the end was his realization that he couldn't go on with the relationship with Cassie, and that while his withdrawal hurt her, it probably spared her a great deal of pain in the long run.

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 21, 2009, 10:12 PM
Late to this discussion but in my view, Cassie was a disguise.  I saw nothing about her that was anything like Jack.  The only similarity was that she, like Jack, reached out and pierced Ennis' shield.  But otherwise, Cassie was FEMALE and Jack was MALE.  Only if Ennis was "bi" could Cassie have a shot at meaning to Ennis anything like what Jack did.  And that Ennis could simply walk away from Cassie, that he could simply ignore her and go back in his shield tells me that Cassie was simply a diversion, a last ditch effort at being "normal" and Jack's last speech to him finally showed him for what he was: queer.  So if Ennis hadn't met Jack, would he have been happy with Cassie?  No.  Because he'd still be in a crap marriage with Alma.  Alma only drew away from Ennis and the marriage after seeing her husband making out with another man and quitting jobs to spend his only vacation times with that man (and not her and their kids).  So no Jack, no failed marriage, no Cassie.  On a side note, Cassie was one sentence in the short story...further highlighting her lack of importance to Ennis or the story.

It just occurred to me, that it was not so much Jack and Cassie pierced Ennis' shield, because although Ennis built a castle to protect himself against emotional commitment, he did marry Alma and had relationships.

I think the metaphor to use here, in my opinion, is that Jack and Cassie are two pitchers filled with love, with affection to spare, and saw Ennis as an empty vessel that was willing to receive their affections.

No one else bothered with Ennis, saw through to his soul and understood his desires, his needs. Jack and Cassie saw, understood, and poured their heart into Ennis.

Cassie had no chance with Ennis because he was already filled with Jack's affections, and had no room for others, even though the few times a year meeting with Jack were not enough to quench his thirst for love.

Ennis and Jack were two souls, two vessels, that fitted one another that one summer on Brokeback Mountain. The rest of the movie was just about the subsequent intrusion of society into their relationship, starting with the peeping and cutting Aguierre, then the mocking minister at the wedding, and the hardship Ennis faced trying to provide for his family.

In the ideal world, when two souls meet, and one of them has the love to give to the other, and the receiving soul is made better, is healed from the love, they merge as one. Jack, in many ways, was also healed by loving Ennis, since he was always told that he was no good, except perhaps by his ma. To be needed, and to be appreciated, was to Jack, the same as to be loved.

In that sense, I think Ennis, if he never met Jack, and still somehow divorced Alma, might end up marrying Cassie in that alternate universe, simply because Cassie was good enough to fill his emptiness. They may not be the soul mates that Jack and Ennis would make, but they would be happy nonetheless.

Just my two cents.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 21, 2009, 10:22 PM
Certainly, Cassie in the movie was an amplification of the character suggested in the ss.

I think I gave similar views in another (?) thread regarding Cassie -- that she was a "disguise", as you put it.  I think part of Ennis's redemption in the end was his realization that he couldn't go on with the relationship with Cassie, and that while his withdrawal hurt her, it probably spared her a great deal of pain in the long run.

I don't think Ennis was trying to spare Cassie when he stopped returning her calls and messages. He was simply running away from what he realized was not for him. He knew, after the final confrontation that he could never quit Jack. And as long as he was with Jack, he couldn't make another relationship work. I think he was ready to meet Jack in November and propose to make a go with the cow and calf operation, now that the child support is almost done. He was freer to do as he pleased.

The shock on Ennis' face at the diner facing Cassie's speech, "A girl don't fall in love with fun." showed that Ennis wasn't thinking about love, nor hurting Cassie's feelings. Ennis was probably surprised that he was worthy of Cassie's love. The loner that kept to himself, saying little most of the year, probably never thought love was something that would come into his life. At that moment of recognition, that Cassie loved him, that he was love-able, he was not only thinking of the hurt he caused Cassie, but also how he wished it was Jack, that perhaps, he and Jack could love each other. At that moment, he knew the thing with no reins, the thing that neither he nor Jack could quit, was love. That's why he sent the postcard to Jack, so that Jack knew he expected to meet in November, even though he was powerless to meet in the summer.

It is why, I believe, the insertion of Cassie at the diner in the movie, made the story better than the original short story.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: manhattangirl on Aug 22, 2009, 07:48 PM
I don't think Ennis was trying to spare Cassie when he stopped returning her calls and messages. He was simply running away from what he realized was not for him. He knew, after the final confrontation that he could never quit Jack. And as long as he was with Jack, he couldn't make another relationship work. I think he was ready to meet Jack in November and propose to make a go with the cow and calf operation, now that the child support is almost done. He was freer to do as he pleased.

The shock on Ennis' face at the diner facing Cassie's speech, "A girl don't fall in love with fun." showed that Ennis wasn't thinking about love, nor hurting Cassie's feelings. Ennis was probably surprised that he was worthy of Cassie's love. The loner that kept to himself, saying little most of the year, probably never thought love was something that would come into his life. At that moment of recognition, that Cassie loved him, that he was love-able, he was not only thinking of the hurt he caused Cassie, but also how he wished it was Jack, that perhaps, he and Jack could love each other. At that moment, he knew the thing with no reins, the thing that neither he nor Jack could quit, was love. That's why he sent the postcard to Jack, so that Jack knew he expected to meet in November, even though he was powerless to meet in the summer.

It is why, I believe, the insertion of Cassie at the diner in the movie, made the story better than the original short story.

I think you're right on this one.  Cassie left messages that were never responded to.  She just happened to run across him by accident.  Ennis not really being empathic to Cassie feelings,  just didn't reply to her messages or even try to see her.  Remember he even had doubts when he talked of her to Jack that last week they were together.  For me,  i think Ennis really didn't understand his feelings for Jack until he saw Cassie,  it was then he understood, or accepted, and even wanted it to be Jack in his life.  JMO
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 22, 2009, 11:01 PM
I think you're right on this one.  Cassie left messages that were never responded to.  She just happened to run across him by accident.  Ennis not really being empathic to Cassie feelings,  just didn't reply to her messages or even try to see her.  Remember he even had doubts when he talked of her to Jack that last week they were together.  For me,  i think Ennis really didn't understand his feelings for Jack until he saw Cassie,  it was then he understood, or accepted, and even wanted it to be Jack in his life.  JMO

I think you and I are on the same wavelength, manhattengirl.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 26, 2009, 12:11 PM
After watching the story of Christian and Oliver in the German show, Verbotene Liebe - Forbidden Love, I have changed my mind about Ennis.  http://ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=15724.msg961032#msg961032

It occurred to me that if Ennis had met Cassie first, as Christian did with Coco, and then meet Jack afterward as Christian did with Oliver, Ennis would still end up with Jack. This would mean Ennis and Christian are gay by virtue of their soulmates being men. If they never met that singular male soul mate, they might as well be straight, it makes no difference. In other words, the labels we use are insufficient to contain the larger concept of true love.

If Ennis met Jack, then he is gay, but if he never met Jack, he is as well as straight.

Jack is the hand of love that opened Schrodinger's box, and let out Ennis' cat, alive and well. Until Jack comes along, we cannot say if the cat is alive or dead, just as Ennis' marriage, or straight relationships. In a sense, both Ennis and Christian were characters which are malleable, molding themselves, devoting their lives, to those of their partners. Without a soulmate, they were simply existing. With a soul mate, each became alive.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Aug 26, 2009, 01:51 PM
I think you and I are on the same wavelength, manhattengirl.

I have to admit, I never gave a thought to Ennis's encounter with Casie as something significant in his understanding of Jack's feelings...

But after reading your and MG posts here, I am thinking that it is very possible that in his mind, Ennis connected Jack and Casie! They were both after him in a way. They both wanted him near, and he was refusing both, for different reasons though. But when he heard Casie mentioning the word "love", he probably thought - "Now, isn't it the same with Jack? He also wants to be with me...doesn't that mean that he loves me? And if his feelings for me are love, than mine are too!" He got the truth right there...

Yup! Now this scenario is much more clear and acceptable in my head! ^-^

 %&) It took me a year to get here!  ^*()
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: vedrana on Aug 26, 2009, 01:53 PM
After watching the story of Christian and Oliver in the German show, Verbotene Liebe - Forbidden Love, I have changed my mind about Ennis.  http://ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=15724.msg961032#msg961032

It occurred to me that if Ennis had met Cassie first, as Christian did with Coco, and then meet Jack afterward as Christian did with Oliver, Ennis would still end up with Jack. This would mean Ennis and Christian are gay by virtue of their soulmates being men. If they never met that singular male soul mate, they might as well be straight, it makes no difference. In other words, the labels we use are insufficient to contain the larger concept of true love.

If Ennis met Jack, then he is gay, but if he never met Jack, he is as well as straight.

Jack is the hand of love that opened Schrodinger's box, and let out Ennis' cat, alive and well. Until Jack comes along, we cannot say if the cat is alive or dead, just as Ennis' marriage, or straight relationships. In a sense, both Ennis and Christian were characters which are malleable, molding themselves, devoting their lives, to those of their partners. Without a soulmate, they were simply existing. With a soul mate, each became alive.

Beautifully said and I tend to agree with this.  - The labels we use are insufficient! O0

Great post, Lance! :c)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: trekfan on Aug 26, 2009, 04:08 PM
to me Ennis was most certainly gay. (or queer, the terminology of the time and one word Ennis understood. )    but he could never admit it to himself.   Jack was queer (I know what they have for guys like you in Mexico)   he was the one to blame for making Ennis the way he was.   Maybe he even blames Jack for being careless and getting killed by the tire irons (I believe it happened the way Lureen said it did by accident) 

They found their soulmates up on BBM.   They completed each other like no one else could  But Ennis could never see his way clear to give Jack that sweet life he wanted.  How to keep himself safe and Jack safe.   Two men living together,  no, no way.  Can't happen, not in Ennis' mind.

it's so sad.   they belonged together

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 26, 2009, 05:44 PM
I have to admit, I never gave a thought to Ennis's encounter with Casie as something significant in his understanding of Jack's feelings...

But after reading your and MG posts here, I am thinking that it is very possible that in his mind, Ennis connected Jack and Casie! They were both after him in a way. They both wanted him near, and he was refusing both, for different reasons though. But when he heard Casie mentioning the word "love", he probably thought - "Now, isn't it the same with Jack? He also wants to be with me...doesn't that mean that he loves me? And if his feelings for me are love, than mine are too!" He got the truth right there...

Yup! Now this scenario is much more clear and acceptable in my head! ^-^

 %&) It took me a year to get here!  ^*()

Beautifully said, Loreen.

It only took me two years to get here.  ::)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Aug 27, 2009, 11:17 AM
Beautifully said, Loreen.

It only took me two years to get here.  ::)
I quote this,although maybe I win you both in time to get here... ^*() Speaking seriously,I agree with what Lance says in another thread;that Ennis would have been straight during all his life by being married,a happy and devoted husband and father.But that if he had met his soulmate in another man afterbeing married,he had became gay,maybe,almost surely his real and deepest way of being and feeling.The problem in Ennis is that,whereas this young man in the German TV movie,breaks up with his girlfriend to be responsible with what he feels,Ennis had never accepted this,what has meant his and their tragedy.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Aug 27, 2009, 12:41 PM
I quote this,although maybe I win you both in time to get here... ^*() Speaking seriously,I agree with what Lance says in another thread;that Ennis would have been straight during all his life by being married,a happy and devoted husband and father.But that if he had met his soulmate in another man afterbeing married,he had became gay,maybe,almost surely his real and deepest way of being and feeling.The problem in Ennis is that,whereas this young man in the German TV movie,breaks up with his girlfriend to be responsible with what he feels,Ennis had never accepted this,what has meant his and their tragedy.

I think that's the difference between the rural American culture in the West, in the 1960's, and the urban sophisticated Post-Brokeback Mountain German culture in Dusseldorf in the 21st century. Hopefully, there will be more Christians and Ollis in the future around the world.

Also, Christian has a loving supportive brother (well, when he is not egotistically submerged in his many torrid affairs) and many supportive friends. Also Olli is more evolved than Jack, who had his own issues. Although they both appear the same in many respects, loving, patient, devoted to their soul mate, Olli was more willing to let go of his straight persona, and has more avenue of outlets when he felt frustrated with Christian. Jack had to resort to Mexico and dangerous Randall; Olli had Timo and lots of other guys waiting in line for him. Jack had problem with his self-image, never good enough for his old man and old man Newsome. Olli was self-confident had lots of admirers, of both sexes.  :d:
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: mimi1996 on Mar 01, 2010, 01:51 AM
IMO, Ennis was not "gay" and, had Jack never come into the picture, would have never even considered being with another man.

BBM is a story about two people who love each other and share a deep connection, and love really does surpass any labels or sexual orientation. If two human beings are deeply, passionately in love with one another, things like age, religion, race and in this case gender simply cease to matter.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Romeo164 on Mar 01, 2010, 02:18 AM
Well said mimi. That's the impression I got from watching and reading about Ennis. Thanks for pointing that out.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: gordo on Apr 02, 2010, 08:38 PM
I was glad to read your comments and I agree but will be glad if there is a squel made to show the love story will have a happy ending.....Gordoe
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: mimi on Apr 15, 2010, 06:25 AM
i think that the beauty of this love story is that they were just two souls who fell in love with each other and shared a connection - soulmates - but who were tragically kept away from each other by cruel circumstances and their own time, as well as society of course.

their souls fell in love, so really their bodies dont matter (that sounds really weird, but what im getting at is that it didnt matter what gender or sexual orientation they were because of their love, and if they had been a man and a woman they probably would still have fallen in love, only they would probably have lived longer happier lives together).

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 15, 2010, 06:52 AM
i think that the beauty of this love story is that they were just two souls who fell in love with each other and shared a connection - soulmates - but who were tragically kept away from each other by cruel circumstances and their own time, as well as society of course.

their souls fell in love, so really their bodies dont matter (that sounds really weird, but what im getting at is that it didnt matter what gender or sexual orientation they were because of their love, and if they had been a man and a woman they probably would still have fallen in love, only they would probably have lived longer happier lives together).


It doesn't sound weird to me. Not at all. In fact, I think it is the essence of love when it transcends all the physical parameters we place so much importance, from race, to sex, to religion, to family background, to social class. All the great love stories are about the love that transcends or the attempt to transcend these physical barriers. It is the failure to overcome these barriers that give rise to tragedy. So ideally, their bodies don't matter. But realistically, every love story has to overcome its physical limits. It can be as simple as the outward appearance of the lovers. Love is blind and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but often we have expectations of what Mr. Right looks like, and any deviation, no matter how small or minor or irrelevant, may keep us from the love of our life. It can be as monumental as the social taboo against same-sex, or different-race or different family backgrounds, but the glory of true love is in its triumph over impossible obstacles.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: mimi on Apr 16, 2010, 08:34 AM
It doesn't sound weird to me. Not at all. In fact, I think it is the essence of love when it transcends all the physical parameters we place so much importance, from race, to sex, to religion, to family background, to social class. All the great love stories are about the love that transcends or the attempt to transcend these physical barriers. It is the failure to overcome these barriers that give rise to tragedy. So ideally, their bodies don't matter. But realistically, every love story has to overcome its physical limits. It can be as simple as the outward appearance of the lovers. Love is blind and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but often we have expectations of what Mr. Right looks like, and any deviation, no matter how small or minor or irrelevant, may keep us from the love of our life. It can be as monumental as the social taboo against same-sex, or different-race or different family backgrounds, but the glory of true love is in its triumph over impossible obstacles.

Thanks, thats exactly what im getting at :)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Apr 16, 2010, 11:43 AM
I completely agree with both of you,Maddy and Lance :clap: :clap: .What really mattered were their souls,their feelings,not their bodies=whom they loved and wished then.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: brandedandrew on Apr 24, 2010, 07:54 AM
funny how i keep coming back to this thread and reading the posts.   Is he or I isn't he?  If it wasn't for that sex thing,  it could of been the greatest bromance ever told,  but it turned out to be the greatest romance ever told. Ennis never thought of being sexual with Alma,  was it just conventional thinking that sex before marriage is a sin, or just part of what was suppose to happen,  part of the "rules",  you get a woman,  get her pregnant,  funny how Ennis brought up at to Alma if she didn't want his kids he be more than happy to leave her alone.     With Jack convention went out the window,  drunk or cold stone sober,  he wanted him, a loved him.   To throw everything out of the window, all you believed,  or were taught to believe is a hard thing to do or live with,  but Ennis kept his toes in the water for twenty years,  and Jack stayed with him hoping one day he'll just go a head and jump in,  "hey the water is fine"

To say it out loud,  to reconcile with yourself that you're a man who loves men,  can be hard to face for so many of us.  We  fall into destructive things,  self loathing, drugs, drinking,  random sex with random men.  It was hard for Ennis.   Not all of us ride off into the sunset with the man we love,  when we don't love ourselves enough.   Where can we go to say I'm afraid of the way I feel,  and that's its ok to feel these things,  that it is who we are, and how we love,  and we love men.   And at Ennis and Jack time and place I can't even imagine how it was for them,  I could love Paul, hold his hand and walk down the streets of Chelsea in New York City,  live there with him and no one thinks nothing of us.  But to be able to let yourself do what you want most is the real fight. 

It reminds me of a button I saw a friend of mind had,  "I can't even think straight",  to me that's where it start,  from our own mind,  soul,  our heart.  Its not so much the act of sex,  as it is the act of living knowing you're who you really are and embracing it, holding it up high above your head,  we're getting there a lot of us are already there.  Ennis never got that message and he loved in his self loathing of that of love.

Ask him if he was queer,  he'll knock you on your ass,but there was real pain that last meeting with Jack,  He was facing what he was, and losing Jack at the same time.

Was Ennis gay?  I don't care,  he just loved this guy called Jack.

thanks for listening to me.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 24, 2010, 09:49 AM
...
Ask him if he was queer,  he'll knock you on your ass,but there was real pain that last meeting with Jack,  He was facing what he was, and losing Jack at the same time.

Was Ennis gay?  I don't care,  he just loved this guy called Jack.

thanks for listening to me.

It's a pleasure, listening to the way you say what we love. Yup. That was Ennis. You got him right.  :(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: rimasworld on Apr 25, 2010, 07:38 PM
Annie wrote him as a homophobic gay man and that is why he is such a complex and tragic character always at war with himself  :(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Tony on Apr 25, 2010, 10:56 PM
Annie wrote him as a homophobic gay man......
  Yes, Rimasworld, that's true.  But it got more messy.  She also said Heath Ledger knew Ennis better than SHE did, and Heath, at first, said he played the role as a homophobic straight man who had the misfortune to find himself in love with another man.  He beat a hasty retreat when there was some kind of outrage from the gay community, who wanted a different theme, AP's original one.
 It's not so easy to settle this one.  After all, if it was, the "Was Ennis Gay?" threads would never have been the hottest threads on every BBM forum. IMO, the issue will still be there 30 years from now, for people tuning in to the late movie and seeing it for the first time.  Which is, I think, just great!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 25, 2010, 11:58 PM
  Yes, Rimasworld, that's true.  But it got more messy.  She also said Heath Ledger knew Ennis better than SHE did, and Heath, at first, said he played the role as a homophobic straight man who had the misfortune to find himself in love with another man.  He beat a hasty retreat when there was some kind of outrage from the gay community, who wanted a different theme, AP's original one.
 It's not so easy to settle this one.  After all, if it was, the "Was Ennis Gay?" threads would never have been the hottest threads on every BBM forum. IMO, the issue will still be there 30 years from now, for people tuning in to the late movie and seeing it for the first time.  Which is, I think, just great!

Yup. You bet. Human sexuality will still be as complex and complicated 30 years from now. Some humans like to have everything all cut up and fitted into pigeon holes according to some neat category. Human sexuality defies categorization. Ennis defies categorization. That's what makes him such a memorable character.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: rimasworld on Apr 26, 2010, 12:03 AM
Yup. You bet. Human sexuality will still be as complex and complicated 30 years from now. Some humans like to have everything all cut up and fitted into pigeon holes according to some neat category. Human sexuality defies categorization. Ennis defies categorization. That's what makes him such a memorable character.

Just for the record, I'm not one of those humans.. I kind of like the grey areas of life that make you think things over again & again...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 26, 2010, 12:35 AM
Just for the record, I'm not one of those humans.. I kind of like the grey areas of life that make you think things over again & again...

I wasn't accusing anyone. I, for one, have the same human tendency to want categorization in different circumstances and topics. My statement was the kind of generalization that is bound to be wrong. No generalization can be always correct. (oops, there goes another one) It was only meant to illustrate the transcendence of Heath's performance as Ennis, which defies categorization. It is in a category of its own.  :c) ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: brandedandrew on Apr 26, 2010, 06:32 AM
A straight homophobic man falls in love with another man,  a self hating gay homophobic falls in love with a man,   repressed gay man outed by love of another man, love can be such a pain in the ass.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Apr 26, 2010, 09:25 AM
A straight homophobic man falls in love with another man,  a self hating gay homophobic falls in love with a man,   repressed gay man outed by love of another man, love can be such a pain in the ass.

 ;D Jack sure thought so..."Sometimes I can hardly stand it."  ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Apr 26, 2010, 11:21 AM
A straight homophobic man falls in love with another man,  a self hating gay homophobic falls in love with a man,   repressed gay man outed by love of another man, love can be such a pain in the ass.

 ;D Letting aside the laughs,I think it's a good definition of Ennis ¡.And I'd add that he was a man who,due to some concrete circumstances,fell in love with someone of his same sex,in spite of himself and without being able to define himself as openly gay.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: brandedandrew on Apr 27, 2010, 10:26 AM
;D Letting aside the laughs,I think it's a good definition of Ennis ¡.And I'd add that he was a man who,due to some concrete circumstances,fell in love with someone of his same sex,in spite of himself and without being able to define himself as openly gay.

He doesn't have to admit his sexuality at all.  He big thing is he loves Jack,  to face that one fact is his biggest problem.   He loves this man,  he wants sex with this man,  he doesn't want to lose what he has with this man.  The underlying thing is Jack is a man, acceptance of his lover is the issue (to me anyway),   and Ennis torn feelings are Jack has a male organ which is a no-no, Ennis desires for him which is a bigger no-no, and the fact that this is against everything he was , and taught to believe  (sorry for being so explicit,  I don't mean to disrespectful to you). 

In the final meeting,  Ennis said to Jack,  it was because of him he was like the way he was.  He was sexually and emotionally hung up on this guy.  Ennis was confused,  scared, lonely without him,  and hated himself for feeling this way,  and also not having the courage that Jacks seems to have for changing it.

I see exactly what you're saying, myprivatejack,  it make perfect sense to me.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Apr 28, 2010, 11:26 AM
He doesn't have to admit his sexuality at all.  He big thing is he loves Jack,  to face that one fact is his biggest problem.   He loves this man,  he wants sex with this man,  he doesn't want to lose what he has with this man.  The underlying thing is Jack is a man, acceptance of his lover is the issue (to me anyway),   and Ennis torn feelings are Jack has a male organ which is a no-no, Ennis desires for him which is a bigger no-no, and the fact that this is against everything he was , and taught to believe  (sorry for being so explicit,  I don't mean to disrespectful to you). 

In the final meeting,  Ennis said to Jack,  it was because of him he was like the way he was.  He was sexually and emotionally hung up on this guy.  Ennis was confused,  scared, lonely without him,  and hated himself for feeling this way,  and also not having the courage that Jacks seems to have for changing it.

I see exactly what you're saying, myprivatejack,  it make perfect sense to me.

 


Of course,I haven't thought you have been disrespectful with me nor with anybody else...There're some things that must be called by their real name,if we don't want to be considered as timorous...The fact is that Ennis doesn't have to admit his sexuality,but he isn't able to do it either.The problem,as you say,is that Jack had this big no-no(I have to suppose it was big... >:D ) and that this no-no was what gave him pleasure and made him feel love.What was too much for him ¡.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: brandedandrew on Apr 28, 2010, 11:39 PM

Of course,I haven't thought you have been disrespectful with me nor with anybody else...There're some things that must be called by their real name,if we don't want to be considered as timorous...The fact is that Ennis doesn't have to admit his sexuality,but he isn't able to do it either.The problem,as you say,is that Jack had this big no-no(I have to suppose it was big... >:D ) and that this no-no was what gave him pleasure and made him feel love.What was too much for him ¡.
myprivatejack,

Thank you for being so sweet,  and so funny.   When you said that Ennis was not able to admit his sexuality is so right.   It was like in the last meeting,  Jack couldn't bring himself to say to Jack "I love you",  but he had to hold on to him,  getting so pissed that even the "thought"  that Jack was with someone else that he could see himself killing him. It shows the conflict within him.  Its so amazing how he didn't go nuts by than.

thanks again for so kind to me here ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: mimi on Apr 29, 2010, 02:38 AM
myprivatejack,

Thank you for being so sweet,  and so funny.   When you said that Ennis was not able to admit his sexuality is so right.   It was like in the last meeting,  Jack couldn't bring himself to say to Jack "I love you",  but he had to hold on to him,  getting so pissed that even the "thought"  that Jack was with someone else that he could see himself killing him. It shows the conflict within him.  Its so amazing how he didn't go nuts by than.

thanks again for so kind to me here ^f^

This is a really great point - about Ennis's own internal struggle, his great battle between what he wants and what he denies himself.  :c)

But I think that the whole "what I don't know, all them things I dont know, could get you killed if i come to know them..." speech was just a bunch of empty words. IMO Ennis was really just letting off some steam because of the "build up of incendiary rage" (to quote AP) that he felt about their whole situation.

Ennis knows deep down that he would be a wreck if anything happened to Jack, and he had to face this knowledge unexpectedly when Jack did die.

Ennis was in love with Jack, and he could never bring himself to harm, let alone kill, his one true love, although sometimes he probably wished he could just not give a damn about what happened to Jack.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: brandedandrew on Apr 29, 2010, 06:25 AM
This is a really great point - about Ennis's own internal struggle, his great battle between what he wants and what he denies himself.  :c)

But I think that the whole "what I don't know, all them things I don't know, could get you killed if i come to know them..." speech was just a bunch of empty words. IMO Ennis was really just letting off some steam because of the "build up of incendiary rage" (to quote AP) that he felt about their whole situation.

Ennis knows deep down that he would be a wreck if anything happened to Jack, and he had to face this knowledge unexpectedly when Jack did die.

Ennis was in love with Jack, and he could never bring himself to harm, let alone kill, his one true love, although sometimes he probably wished he could just not give a damn about what happened to Jack.

Great point!  But is it so empty,  but a sign of his conflicted feelings.   And to be honest,  we all know of some cases when feeling spinning out of control, things do happen between lovers.   (Unfortunately,  domestic violence its all too real sometimes in our community, like in others,  but that's another subject for another tread, one day.)   My point only is again,  showing that Ennis can't bring himself to stop seeing Jack,  can't bring himself to be out with Jack,  but can't stand the idea of Jack being with someone else.

Why?  Will it show to him what Jack is a "queer",  so which means by loving this man, this is who he is,  (guilt by association),  or the the deep feeling of love he had for him,  that he couldn't stand for him to be with anyone else but him.  The mere thought that Jack is "stepping out on him",  is something he can't even deal with.  Ennis could sit at Alma's at Thanksgiving table,  with her new husband,  carrying his child,  but Jack in Mexico, showed a real emotional reaction from him.

conflict, contradictions, love, sex, and obsession was an all too real part of this man.

 
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Apr 29, 2010, 11:22 AM
Great points,Maddy and Andrew ¡ I also believe that the root of Ennis problem was between what he wants and what he denies to himself,as you say Maddy;that it's the same than saying that between what he had been taught to feel and what he really felt.What had been a terrifying ghost during all his life got incarnated in someone real,who he fell in love with;the ghost of the homosexuality and the horrible effects it could have in who practised it.What an appalling paradox of life,no?. :-\\
As regards to the apparent contradiction of Ennis being unable to stop meeting Jack but being unable either to stand the idea of Jack making love with someone else,I think that it's a mixture of what you say,Andrew.On one hand,he was jealous of any other man who could take Jack away from him,as a person in love that he was;IMO,one of his anguishes is to think that,before so many denies of this "sweet life",Jack could perfectly look for another partner who offered it to him without so many doubts as Ennis.I think it makes a perfect sense...But,one the other hand,maybe he had sometimes the thought of associate Jack's "gayness" with his own;Jack wasn't only a man who had fallen in love "by chance" with another man,but a "real" gay.So,from that reality to think and accept that he also was a "queer" there's only a few steps.I think you have indicated it very well,even if I think there was in his reaction more love than fear of seeing himself like a gay.But,doubtless,Ennis would have been a good sample for psychologist work ¡. ::)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: brandedandrew on Apr 30, 2010, 06:02 AM
Great points,Maddy and Andrew ¡ I also believe that the root of Ennis problem was between what he wants and what he denies to himself,as you say Maddy;that it's the same than saying that between what he had been taught to feel and what he really felt.What had been a terrifying ghost during all his life got incarnated in someone real,who he fell in love with;the ghost of the homosexuality and the horrible effects it could have in who practised it.What an appalling paradox of life,no?. :-\\
As regards to the apparent contradiction of Ennis being unable to stop meeting Jack but being unable either to stand the idea of Jack making love with someone else,I think that it's a mixture of what you say,Andrew.On one hand,he was jealous of any other man who could take Jack away from him,as a person in love that he was;IMO,one of his anguishes is to think that,before so many denies of this "sweet life",Jack could perfectly look for another partner who offered it to him without so many doubts as Ennis.I think it makes a perfect sense...But,one the other hand,maybe he had sometimes the thought of associate Jack's "gayness" with his own;Jack wasn't only a man who had fallen in love "by chance" with another man,but a "real" gay.So,from that reality to think and accept that he also was a "queer" there's only a few steps.I think you have indicated it very well,even if I think there was in his reaction more love than fear of seeing himself like a gay.But,doubtless,Ennis would have been a good sample for psychologist work ¡. ::)

I totally get what you're saying,  Jack was no way conflicted in his need to be with a man,  and actively sought out men, as showed in the film.   Jack was what Ennis was not, "out",   (in his fashion).   Jack urging Ennis over the years to be a couple,  to live and work together was what in Ennis's mind, was something "daddy said was wrong",   and who but our parents influences us most in life.  My mother who had a hard time at first accepts the idea of my sexuality, where my father is still having a hard time with it,  I'm his only son,  only child, even thought I know he loves me,  I can't help to feel, in some ways I am a disappointment to him,  and for that I feel bad.   Anyway,   imagine Ennis feelings  "Dad killed a guy for being this way.".  Your parents love and acceptance is in the bone, like marrow.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: mimi on Apr 30, 2010, 06:47 AM
Great points,Maddy and Andrew ¡ I also believe that the root of Ennis problem was between what he wants and what he denies to himself,as you say Maddy;that it's the same than saying that between what he had been taught to feel and what he really felt.What had been a terrifying ghost during all his life got incarnated in someone real,who he fell in love with;the ghost of the homosexuality and the horrible effects it could have in who practised it.What an appalling paradox of life,no?. :-\\
As regards to the apparent contradiction of Ennis being unable to stop meeting Jack but being unable either to stand the idea of Jack making love with someone else,I think that it's a mixture of what you say,Andrew.On one hand,he was jealous of any other man who could take Jack away from him,as a person in love that he was;IMO,one of his anguishes is to think that,before so many denies of this "sweet life",Jack could perfectly look for another partner who offered it to him without so many doubts as Ennis.I think it makes a perfect sense...But,one the other hand,maybe he had sometimes the thought of associate Jack's "gayness" with his own;Jack wasn't only a man who had fallen in love "by chance" with another man,but a "real" gay.So,from that reality to think and accept that he also was a "queer" there's only a few steps.I think you have indicated it very well,even if I think there was in his reaction more love than fear of seeing himself like a gay.But,doubtless,Ennis would have been a good sample for psychologist work ¡. ::)

Thanks  :cr)

I think it is interesting to also point out, however, that Jack's true sexual orientation, if any specific one is applicable to him, is just as debatable as Ennis'.

I know that most people tend to assume that Jack was definitely gay whereas Ennis was perhaps not, but I do have my doubts...

Firstly, Jack only really ever started chatting up other men as a method of coping with not being able to have Ennis, the one thing he wants more than anything in the whole wide world. You could say that he was simply using other men as a sort of meagre "substitute" for Ennis.

Secondly, in the climax scene of the movie, when Jack says "...for needing something that I don't hardly never get!", it is understandable that most people would think he is referring sodomy, or just intimacy with other men. While this is understadable given the context, I would say that it is also just as plausible that he means Ennis - the thing that he needs but never gets is in fact Ennis himself. Therefore, in an attempt to combat this lust he goes after other men. Of course, it is never the same, but that is really the only coping mechanism Jack had in such a homophobic era and place.

Ennis and Jack were not just two random gay cowboys. They were starcross'd lovers, kept apart cruelly by chance and cold hard circumstance and human indecency. Therefore it is fair to say that maybe neither character was really "gay" at all. After all, this movie is all about transcending labels and boundaries, so why then should the two main characters be stifled by labels like gay, bi or straight...?

 <^(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Apr 30, 2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks  :cr)

I think it is interesting to also point out, however, that Jack's true sexual orientation, if any specific one is applicable to him, is just as debatable as Ennis'.

I know that most people tend to assume that Jack was definitely gay whereas Ennis was perhaps not, but I do have my doubts...

Firstly, Jack only really ever started chatting up other men as a method of coping with not being able to have Ennis, the one thing he wants more than anything in the whole wide world. You could say that he was simply using other men as a sort of meagre "substitute" for Ennis.

Secondly, in the climax scene of the movie, when Jack says "...for needing something that I don't hardly never get!", it is understandable that most people would think he is referring sodomy, or just intimacy with other men. While this is understadable given the context, I would say that it is also just as plausible that he means Ennis - the thing that he needs but never gets is in fact Ennis himself. Therefore, in an attempt to combat this lust he goes after other men. Of course, it is never the same, but that is really the only coping mechanism Jack had in such a homophobic era and place.

Ennis and Jack were not just two random gay cowboys. They were starcross'd lovers, kept apart cruelly by chance and cold hard circumstance and human indecency. Therefore it is fair to say that maybe neither character was really "gay" at all. After all, this movie is all about transcending labels and boundaries, so why then should the two main characters be stifled by labels like gay, bi or straight...?

 <^(

I'm as enemy as you of any kind of labels,what in BBM case is more useless still,IMO.I only was answering to the point Andrew remarked about Ennis fear of being considered as a "gay" if he admitted Jack was.What was unquestionable is that Jack is much more open in showing and accepting his own sexuality,and that includes being with other men without any problem.Men who,as you say,were clearly a mere sexual relief,even an attempt to forget (?) Ennis even if for a while only.Because I agree with you in that Jack wouldn't refer only to a sexual intercourse when he says he hasn't enough with two high altitude fucks once or twice a year;I have never thought this only,but having Ennis in body and soul for him,always...What,I repeat,wasn't an obstacle-or precisely for this...-for having a clear sexual life clearly with men only,what reveals that he was more comfortable in this way.And that,for Ennis,on the contrary,was a reason for feeling more uncomfortable,because he see himself mirrored in the "queer" attitude of his lover.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: brandedandrew on May 01, 2010, 12:46 AM
Or maybe labels can be liberating,  to know who and what you are,  to have a name to how you feel.  Gay Pride,  its a label that can be shouted, and celebrated.  We have gay pride month, like Black history month, Porto Rican Day,  St. Patricks Day in New York,  a "holiday" for something important to you in whatever country you live in.  Ennis and Jack are symbols of love,  and a reminder to us,  how oppressed, depressed, repressed we were and in many cases still are. How love still couldn't be deferred,  destroyed,  compromised, or denied against a homophobic land.   Gayness it not the sexual act,  but who we are, how we feel, how we live.   Not to be denied but to be  "Queer and Here".  We label everything,  its an easy way out sometimes,  but it also highlights and bring clear what and who we are.

I don't know,  sometimes its bugs me that dropping the label gay is an easy way to dismiss the idea of gay, maybe dismiss me,  and that we are unique, special and beautiful no matter what anyone thinks of us.  And to celebrate the same way that everyone in the world see themselves, their neighborhood, their homeland. 

Jack wanted his own homeland,  his own country,  his own world,  but Ennis was too afraid to declare Independence, but in spite of it all, they still loved each other and found a way to be together.

Sorry,  don't mean to sound so preachy,  just had to get it off my chest.  Thanks for listening to me.       

Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on May 01, 2010, 11:50 AM
No need to apologize BA, that's why we are here, to share what's on our mind and heart with each other. You said yours beautifully.

I agree with the liberating aspect of owning one's own uniqueness. Gay Pride, Black Pride, Latino Pride, Irish Pride, etc. What I caution is simply to not allow one aspect defines the whole person. We can be gay AND Black AND Latino AND Irish all at the same time. It is the cutting apart of different aspects, isolating one from another, which I find disturbing.

It is indeed, as you said, an easy way out sometimes, to use label to categorize experiences and people, but it is VERY important, in my humble opinion, that we acknowledge that the label is an approximation of the real thing. No label can be true, by definition, if 100% accuracy is what we mean by true.

Yes, Gay Pride is an easy way to embrace self-acceptance, but it is the other parts of the self which also need accepting, and sometimes, all too often left on the roadside by the gay liberation movement. We need to accept Self, gay or not. Self Pride.  :c)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: mimi on May 01, 2010, 09:17 PM
No need to apologize BA, that's why we are here, to share what's on our mind and heart with each other. You said yours beautifully.

I agree with the liberating aspect of owning one's own uniqueness. Gay Pride, Black Pride, Latino Pride, Irish Pride, etc. What I caution is simply to not allow one aspect defines the whole person. We can be gay AND Black AND Latino AND Irish all at the same time. It is the cutting apart of different aspects, isolating one from another, which I find disturbing.

It is indeed, as you said, an easy way out sometimes, to use label to categorize experiences and people, but it is VERY important, in my humble opinion, that we acknowledge that the label is an approximation of the real thing. No label can be true, by definition, if 100% accuracy is what we mean by true.

Yes, Gay Pride is an easy way to embrace self-acceptance, but it is the other parts of the self which also need accepting, and sometimes, all too often left on the roadside by the gay liberation movement. We need to accept Self, gay or not. Self Pride.  :c)

Great point LC

that's the thing about labels - theyre so inadequate when defining a human being. The thing is, we CAN be more than just one, as you said. And even if we do fit even a few labels, they still dont sum us up entirely. Thats the beauty of humanity - we're so intricate and detailed, we cannot be summed up by labels.

I must ask, therefore, what is the point of having labels if they dont do their job anyways? We label things so that we can have the false sense of security which is gleaned by understanding our world entirely (something which in truth is impossible). Labels were designed for this purpose - so that we may feel safer in supposedly understanding our world completely. But the truth is, we can never understand the world or human beings fully, so then the whole purpose of the labelling system is defeated.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on May 02, 2010, 10:30 AM
Great point LC

...labels  are so inadequate when defining a human being. The thing is, we CAN be more than just one, as you said. And even if we do fit even a few labels, they still dont sum us up entirely. Thats the beauty of humanity - we're so intricate and detailed, we cannot be summed up by labels.

I love the way you expressed the idea of label's limitation...inadequate, and the beauty of humanity...intricately detailed beyond description.  :t)

I must ask, therefore, what is the point of having labels if they dont do their job anyways? We label things so that we can have the false sense of security which is gleaned by understanding our world entirely (something which in truth is impossible). Labels were designed for this purpose - so that we may feel safer in supposedly understanding our world completely. But the truth is, we can never understand the world or human beings fully, so then the whole purpose of the labelling system is defeated.

Labels, like language, were invented to give humanity power over the surrounding, over all things. We use language to communicate ideas, to pass on knowledge from one generation to another. It is absolutely essential and the defining quality of humanity. Labels work great with simple things, like chair, table, concrete, and even with abstract thought to some extent, like happy, sad, angry. However, as you pointed out, language in its current state of development is inadequate to describe the intricate complexity of humanity, especially in the area most defy description, the area of poets and philosophers, the qualities of love, of soul. Any attempts to force a precise description is as you said so well...inadequate. Great writers and great artists can endow greater powers to their words and images, as Annie and Ang Lee had done in Brokeback Mountain, but mere mortals like us, simply do not have the words, or labels, no matter how hard we emulate.

Thank you, maddy.  You put what I have believed for so long, into a framework of clarity. That's what I love about this place.   :c) ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: mimi on May 02, 2010, 07:07 PM
I love the way you expressed the idea of label's limitation...inadequate, and the beauty of humanity...intricately detailed beyond description.  :t)

Labels, like language, were invented to give humanity power over the surrounding, over all things. We use language to communicate ideas, to pass on knowledge from one generation to another. It is absolutely essential and the defining quality of humanity. Labels work great with simple things, like chair, table, concrete, and even with abstract thought to some extent, like happy, sad, angry. However, as you pointed out, language in its current state of development is inadequate to describe the intricate complexity of humanity, especially in the area most defy description, the area of poets and philosophers, the qualities of love, of soul. Any attempts to force a precise description is as you said so well...inadequate. Great writers and great artists can endow greater powers to their words and images, as Annie and Ang Lee had done in Brokeback Mountain, but mere mortals like us, simply do not have the words, or labels, no matter how hard we emulate.

Thank you, maddy.  You put what I have believed for so long, into a framework of clarity. That's what I love about this place.   :c) ^f^

No, thank you, for allowing me to express my thougts like this  <^( ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: rdx on Jul 04, 2010, 02:22 AM
Ennis was gay, he fighted against it all his life because his dad traumatized him when he was a boy (the dead Earl scene).  A few hints... the reunion kiss scene, he initiated the kiss and what a kiss it was.   :d)

The first ''fishing trip'', the whole scene on the mountain, Jack caressing his ear and cheek at the end of the scene... Ennis doesn't push him back.

The flashback scene from their last encounter, once again he is the initiator tought this scene is maybe an intimate moment but nothing sexual, he was just happy to held his lover (and was obviously in love).

The two shirts scenes, the first one when he finds the shirts...   :-\\ :\'( The last scene, still with the shirts... Jack I swear...  :\'( :\'( :\'(

What was it? I swear I loved you, I swear I regret... I don't want to go off topic but IMO Ennis was gay, he was just the victim of his epoch, life experience and education.  I  know it's sad  :(

I totally second what chameau wrote (years ago). My opinion is that there is no doubt whether Ennis was gay or not: he was. He was born gay, he was gay with Jack, he was gay with Alma&Cassie, he was gay 'till the day he died. Jack was Ennis's only male affection (as far as we know), but that doesn't change anything. He was more passionate with Jack than with either Alma or Cassie.

My opinion is based on my life experience and what I/you/everybody can see happening even today: gay men married to women: big news. I'm not, but I think that everyone knows someone who is like that: a colleague, a (distant) relative or a friend.  

I recommend the book "Beyond Brokeback: the Impact of a Film". Read it, cry on it, be happy about it. Real life Ennises and Jacks, and others too, telling their stories.

Another consideration: the words queer, gay and homosexual. There are, at least subtle, differences in these words, how they are understood in time and regionally. My knowledge of English language and American culture is limited, but could someone, please, clarify this matter. The lines "You know I ain't queer; Me neither" are quite descriptive and true. They weren't queer, they need to be described with another word...fill in, please.

Think about it before you bash me.. :*(
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 04, 2010, 10:32 AM
 :s) Thinking...

 :*( but no bashing  #)

I might have argued with you even as little as a month ago, but I have learned that some gay men, even exclusively 100% homosexual gay men, can love just one man, and no others. In the case of Ennis, and some men, homophobia keeps him/them from feeling attracted to any other men but the one they connected with, through whatever coincidence/serendipity. As Heath said so well about Ennis, "He was a homophobic gay man." #)

You hit the nail right on the head, rdx...that Ennis felt passion only with Jack and no other.  O0 That's a good measure of sexuality, passion.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: rdx on Jul 04, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hi guys, thanks for waking this up, I’ll jump in. To quote one of our famous Usonian Presidents (go ahead, Google it) “it all depends on what the meaning of is, is”. Or, it all depends on what your meaning of GAY, is. This is not a little question; for some the word itself has a significant and highly important meaning – especially for those of, or in, the gay community.

Not to belabor the point, but – to me there can be no doubt Ennis was homosexual, by definition. He had sex, repeatedly, with a man, and even admitted fantasizing about having sex with a man. “I wrung it out a hundred times thinkin’ about you”. I feel this shows he not only liked it, he knew he liked it, and wanted Jack to know he liked it.

But “gay”?, hmmm. Having lived in San Francisco in the late 1970s, when the word “gay” was directly and specifically meant to mean not only homosexual - but also, proud, liberated, out, and unashamedly queer, GAY was used to reflect a view, a new view, of the liberated homosexual community. Ennis was IMHO in no way “gay”. He exhibited none of those traits. Ennis Delmar in the Gay Pride parade? Huh?

I'm quoting jackster to answer my question. Again, I second totally, thank you jackster.

You hit the nail right on the head, rdx...that Ennis felt passion only with Jack and no other.  O0 That's a good measure of sexuality, passion.

Exactly, thanks LC.

I rest my case.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: WildCatIsle on Jul 04, 2010, 04:50 PM
Addressing homosexuality as a modality of loving' desire, Ennis is gay or homosexual. 

Ennis is a man, he loves another man: Jack, her unique and true love; he not love Alma, her  affair with Cassie is to cover up for to her homosexuality. Ennis is scared, afraid that people know that he is homosexual.

Ennis a homophobic gay man? I cannot watch Ennis like this, he is scared to much by homophobia, to feel homosexual, but homophobic?

I thought ^*()
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 04, 2010, 06:19 PM

Welcome to the discussion WildcatIsle.

Addressing homosexuality as a modality of loving' desire, Ennis is gay or homosexual. 

Ennis is a man, he loves another man: Jack, her unique and true love;
Agreed.
  he not love Alma,
I think Ennis loved Alma and the girls in his own way, but without passion.
her  affair with Cassie is to cover up for to her homosexuality.
Ennis did not seek out Cassie. He even tried to discourage her...imagine trying out a pick up line like, "I was castrating calves earlier."  ::) But he had no reasonable way to fend her off, and he was lonely. Even Junior recognized this and suggested that she move in with him so he would not be so lonely, and be susceptible to Cassie or any other woman's advances. 
Ennis is scared, afraid that people know that he is homosexual.
That's the point. He is homophobic.
Ennis a homophobic gay man? I cannot watch Ennis like this, he is scared to much by homophobia, to feel homosexual, but homophobic?

I thought ^*()

It is difficult for any straight actor to play a homosexual man, but to play a homophobic homosexual man to the degree of perfection that made Ennis real, was Heath's genius.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: brandedandrew on Jul 05, 2010, 10:28 AM
Ennis lived on the "down low",   which is not so strange,  a lot of guys do this.  They  avoid emotional ties in order to fill that need not met in their "straight life".   Ennis mistake is that he fell hard for Jack,  and couldn't let him completely go after the reunion.  If it wasn't for that fact,  Ennis would have resigned himself to a sweet memory.   

Ennis a homophobic gay man, I'm not too sure about that.  phobia in itself  implies  an irrational fear of something or someone else.   Ennis displays none of those things.  If he did he wouldn't have spoke with respect and sympathy of Rich and Earl,  he know what they were,  and that they lived together, but yet he goes year after year to see Jack.  His real fear is that he would have the same fate, as Rich and Earl. 

That's the pity and I think the message in the story, that love comes in different ways,  that we are all human,  and gay love is as old as heterosexual love, and is as deep and lasting to those who are lucky to find it.  It shows how hate destroys lives of people who want and need love.   It shows to what extend we will go just to have a small piece of it.  JMO     
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Inner_Me on Jul 05, 2010, 03:53 PM
"was ennis gay ?"

As many people said, since he had a sexual/"emotional" relationship with Alma, I rather think he was bisexual in terms of sexuality.

I, as a person, dislike thinking in drawers, people tend to create terms for something to generalize it and create an understandable theme.
Homo/Hetero/Bi/Asexuality and similar themes are so much more complex to what is anchored in most people's consciousness, yet it's easier
to reduce something to a minimum in order to deal with it.

And by the way, what would you folks have done, if you were all alone with Jake/Jack, somewhere out in mountains no one comes to, for months? Sleep and herd sheep?  ;D
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: WildCatIsle on Jul 06, 2010, 05:15 PM

Welcome to the discussion WildcatIsle.
 Agreed.  I think Ennis loved Alma and the girls in his own way, but without passion.  Ennis did not seek out Cassie. He even tried to discourage her...imagine trying out a pick up line like, "I was castrating calves earlier."  ::) But he had no reasonable way to fend her off, and he was lonely. Even Junior recognized this and suggested that she move in with him so he would not be so lonely, and be susceptible to Cassie or any other woman's advances.  That's the point. He is homophobic.
Quote
Good point of view
It is difficult for any straight actor to play a homosexual man, but to play a homophobic homosexual man to the degree of perfection that made Ennis real, was Heath's genius.
[/quote][/sup]
It is difficult for any straight actor to play a homosexual man, but to play a homophobic homosexual man to the degree of perfection that made Ennis real, was Heath's genius.
[/quote]
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Inner_Me on Jul 06, 2010, 06:10 PM
Quote
That's the point. He is homophobic.

Was he really homophobic? I just got it as far as that he can't accept it himself, but doesn't have any (negative) feelings towards other gay men.
Like with most other people, he's like 'Live and let live'.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 06, 2010, 08:35 PM
Was he really homophobic? I just got it as far as that he can't accept it himself, but doesn't have any (negative) feelings towards other gay men.
Like with most other people, he's like 'Live and let live'.

That's a good question. Was he really homophobic?

In my opinion, there are different degrees, just like coming out has different stages.

Ennis is not a hateful person, like his old man, but he is repulsed by any association with being labeled as homosexual. Is that the same as homophobia?  :s) What is the saying, "Those who complain the loudest about faggots are probably secretly gay?"

The first impact of homophobia is its denial of a gay person self-acceptance. What happens after that depends on the character of the individual. In violent angry hateful people, homophobia turns deadly. In more gentle kind compassionate souls, it turns inward, into self-hatred. It is why suicide is so common with gay teens - homophobia makes the awkward stages of adolescence even more unbearable.

Ennis always had a low opinion of himself, because his homophobia is always pointing an accusatory finger at him. "I am nothing. I am no where." That was a deep revelation that shocked even himself, and definitely Jack.

It is out of this depth of self-hatred that Ennis climbed after Jack's death, through the epiphany in the diner with Cassie's confession of love, and in Lightning Flat with Jack's Ma's acceptance, and of course, the discovery of the two shirts. From the depth of despair, Ennis held onto the two shirts and knew that he was loved, he was worthy of love, and his homophobia was shattered, exposed as the lie that it was. He was not worthless, repulsive, vile like his pa used to say about queers. He was loved and treasured like the two shirts.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Jul 06, 2010, 08:40 PM
Was he really homophobic?. . .
What is homophobic? To quote the not always infallible Wikipedia:

Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards homosexuality and people identified or perceived as being homosexual. Definitions refer variably to antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, and irrational fear. Homophobia is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination and violence on the basis of a perceived non-heterosexual orientation.
 . . . . The word homophobia first appeared in print in an article written for the May 23, 1969, edition of the American tabloid Screw, in which the word was used to refer to heterosexual men's fear that others might think they are gay.
(my bolds)

It would seem by these admittedly broad definitions, Ennis was indeed homophobic.

An' here I always thought it was a cellphone with built in pen for queers. ;)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 06, 2010, 08:53 PM
What is homophobic? To quote the not always infallible Wikipedia:

Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards homosexuality and people identified or perceived as being homosexual. Definitions refer variably to antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, and irrational fear. Homophobia is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination and violence on the basis of a perceived non-heterosexual orientation.
 . . . . The word homophobia first appeared in print in an article written for the May 23, 1969, edition of the American tabloid Screw, in which the word was used to refer to heterosexual men's fear that others might think they are gay.
(my bolds)

It would seem by these admittedly broad definitions, Ennis was indeed homophobic.

An' here I always thought it was a cellphone with built in pen for queers. ;)

Thanks, Jackster. That's a great reference. I never knew LGBT owes such a great debt to George Weinberg, who fought to have homosexuality removed from the list of mental illness in the DSM.  O0 I think every Pride day should have a moment to honor this STRAIGHT man!
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: brandedandrew on Jul 07, 2010, 02:06 AM
Great posts,  You guys have me thinking, the definition given of "the homophobic gay"  seems to me, fits Ennis's father perfectly.   The repressed self hating homosexual who engages in anti gay crimes to show how straight he is.

What kind  of self-hate does it take to tie a man by his penis, the object of arousal and want, the ultimate symbol of maleness, and than drag him at a back of pickup till its pulled off.  How homophobic gay can one get?    How homophobic gay does one need to be to do that kind of crime in that particular way?   
 
Ennis was the next victim of the "homophobic gay",  who proudly shows his sons his handiwork.  Because Earl shows his "gayness" and this what happens to men who dare to do that.  Victims of this hate was not only Rich and Earl, but Ennis too.   Ennis's father was not only a "homophobic gay", murderer,  but a child abuser to boot.

Ennis could of followed that same path, he could of killed Jack that first night,  but he didn't.   There was something inside him that prevented it from doing such a thing.   Maybe it was Jack's love for him,  the love he had for Jack or both.  Anyway there was something the old man couldn't kill off.

This is just somethings that's been going on in my mind while I read this thread,  which is one of my favorites, thanks.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: WildCatIsle on Jul 07, 2010, 07:55 AM
Great posts,  You guys have me thinking, the definition given of "the homophobic gay"  seems to me, fits Ennis's father perfectly.   The repressed self hating homosexual who engages in anti gay crimes to show how straight he is.

What kind  of self-hate does it take to tie a man by his penis, the object of arousal and want, the ultimate symbol of maleness, and than drag him at a back of pickup till its pulled off.  How homophobic gay can one get?    How homophobic gay does one need to be to do that kind of crime in that particular way?  
 
Ennis was the next victim of the "homophobic gay",  who proudly shows his sons his handiwork.  Because Earl shows his "gayness" and this what happens to men who dare to do that.  Victims of this hate was not only Rich and Earl, but Ennis too.   Ennis's father was not only a "homophobic gay", murderer,  but a child abuser to boot.
Quote
I agree
Ennis could of followed that same path, he could of killed Jack that first night,  but he didn't.  
Quote
Merely, he doesn't do it because he isn't a homophobic man. He made it very quite clear in the tent scene; It is surprised, but he does not loosen, does not repel  Jack. This is more explicit in SS by AP "...and he
wanted none of it when Jack seized his left hand and brought it to his erect
c*ck. Ennis jerked his hand away as though he'd touched fire, got to his
knees, unbuckled his belt, shoved his pants down, hauled Jack onto all fours
and, ..."
There was something inside him that prevented it from doing such a thing.   Maybe it was Jack's love for him,  the love he had for Jack or both.  Anyway there was something the old man couldn't kill off.

This is just somethings that's been going on in my mind while I read this thread,  which is one of my favorites, thanks.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 07, 2010, 08:04 AM
Interesting proposition, BA.

I don't necessarily agree with Ennis's Pa being gay, but certainly and absolutely agree with him being a child abuser. It's not just physical abuse that leaves scars. Emotional abuse leaves deeper and more permanent scars. You are right that Ennis had something special inside him that stopped him from repeating the cycle of abuse, hitting his own little girls, or killing Jack that first night. I never thought of that.  :t)

Here is another thought. Perhaps Ennis would've grown up repeating the cycle of abuse...his bouts of anger and all. But there is something special in Jack, the spark that ignited the something special in Ennis, and stopped the cycle that first night. Once Ennis came to grip with his homophobia on SNIT, the cycle was broken for good. The feeling of pawing the white out of the Moon can do that to a guy...sending anger issues packing.

By the time they came off the mountain, the anger in Ennis resurfaced, first with that sucker punch, and later, in the alley, as anger turned inward, into that gut wrench.

It occurs to me after thinking about this, that depression kept Ennis from any joy in life except briefly with Alma in the snow, which probably reminded him of his time with Jack. With Alma all bundled up in thick winter clothing and half hidden in a tuque, I bet it wasn't hard to do, like when he flips Alma on her stomach in bed.

That's the reason the reunion was so important and significant for Ennis...as he jumps down those steps, he was relieved Jack didn't hold a grudge against him for that sucker punch and he was back there on the mountain feeling that same feeling of pawing the white out of the moon again. I bet Ennis at the landing, saying "Jack f@#king Twist", was feeling ready to fly, jumping off those stairs if he could.

That's the something special in Jack that sparked the something special in Ennis...acceptance, friendship, respect, finding a companion where none was expected. And where did Jack get this something special? In my opinion, it had everything to do with Jack's Ma, the Pentacost who stuck it out with an abusive husband on a desolate plain in the far corner of a dusty wind swept state. Jack was a dreamer because his Ma was a dreamer, too. I can just hear all the stories his Ma told him when he was a boy, nursing him in tears after another abusive episode from the old man. You can't start a fire without a spark, and that spark came down the ages in Jack's Ma's faith.  ::) Yes, I know... *o)  ~)

Back to your regular programming. Yes, BA. That's why I love it here, too. All the discussion keeps me thinking.  #$# and  :t)
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: jackster on Jul 07, 2010, 09:02 AM
. . . Ennis could of followed that same path, he could of killed Jack that first night, but he didn't. There was something inside him that prevented it from doing such a thing. Maybe it was Jack's love for him, the love he had for Jack or both. Anyway there was something the old man couldn't kill off.

Yup. Annie is such a talent. Ennis is a very complicated character, remember in the SS how Ennis tells Jack about his relationship with his brother, how his father tells him to fix it, and then what Ennis does “Don't say nothin' and get it over with quick”. And of course all the other violent incidents we see with Ennis, the alleyway, the 4th of July, the Black & Blue Bar, etc. But then there’s Jack Twist, his primary reaction to Jack’s FNIT advance is to just f*** him (get it over quick?). But then, after his lone reflection on the mountain, he comes back to Jack, SNIT, uncertain and apologetic. How does seeing Earl at age nine play into this evolution? What is it that allows or creates this transformation of Ennis into a different sort of character? I think some of what Annie is telling us here is that even Ennis Del Mar, a man who by every account should be a brutal tough homophobic SOB, even he is capable and to some degree possibly unable to resist or reject this force of nature, this force of love. We can’t always choose who we fall in love with.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Jul 07, 2010, 11:06 AM
We have said here that we're against levels,and much more when referring to private subjects that hits in the innest side of ourselves.But it's true also that we have to define ourselves as a member of a social,sexual,ethnic or whatever group;so in this sense,it could be accepted to define Ennis as gay,bisexual or whatever also.IMO,however,there's a contradiction,two different ways of being and feeling this situation in Ennis-nothing strange in him,on the other side...-; he's afraid of being seen as a "queer" but I have always thought that the unlucky episode with his father-a real child abuser,as you have said-made awake in him a feeling of attraction-repulsion towards homosexuality and homosexuals.A repulsion that surely would have made him live half slept during all his life if he had experienced the life that was destined for him,with a wife and some children,like a "normal" man must do,according to him...But an attraction that took Jack's figure almost by chance,since the intimacy and loneliness up on the mountain approached them as much as this one could take the initiative and wake him up from this "gay lethargy".
Was Ennis homophobic? In this sense,you have said many interesting points above...According to the Wikipedia article that Jackster has posted (very good,Jackster ¡  :clap:)homophobia is not only an irrepressible and irrational hate towards homosexuality,but in a,let's say,softer sense,the fear of being taken as gay for the others.Ennis talked with a certain sympathy towards Earl and Rich,so he wasn't a "negative" homophobic;but I have always thought also that sometimes-or more often than he wished-he felt disgust and almost hate towards him for the one he had fallen for,and even towards Jack for being the subject of this love.He lived all his life in an impossible balance between his feelings and his duties,his deepest wishes and the way people had told him he must feel,his love for a man and his hate for loving this man...What could perfectly make of him a "possitive" homophobic man.I don't know if all this makes any sense,but what I know for sure is that only a person like Heath could "enter" so much into the character until defining him in the right way.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 07, 2010, 11:25 AM
Yup. Annie is such a talent. Ennis is a very complicated character, remember in the SS how Ennis tells Jack about his relationship with his brother, how his father tells him to fix it, and then what Ennis does “Don't say nothin' and get it over with quick”. And of course all the other violent incidents we see with Ennis, the alleyway, the 4th of July, the Black & Blue Bar, etc. But then there’s Jack Twist, his primary reaction to Jack’s FNIT advance is to just f*** him (get it over quick?). But then, after his lone reflection on the mountain, he comes back to Jack, SNIT, uncertain and apologetic. How does seeing Earl at age nine play into this evolution? What is it that allows or creates this transformation of Ennis into a different sort of character? I think some of what Annie is telling us here is that even Ennis Del Mar, a man who by every account should be a brutal tough homophobic SOB, even he is capable and to some degree possibly unable to resist or reject this force of nature, this force of love. We can’t always choose who we fall in love with.

As always, Jackster.  (:* O0 :c) ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: brandedandrew on Jul 08, 2010, 05:42 AM
Interesting proposition, BA.

I don't necessarily agree with Ennis's Pa being gay, but certainly and absolutely agree with him being a child abuser. It's not just physical abuse that leaves scars. Emotional abuse leaves deeper and more permanent scars. You are right that Ennis had something special inside him that stopped him from repeating the cycle of abuse, hitting his own little girls, or killing Jack that first night. I never thought of that.  :t)

Here is another thought. Perhaps Ennis would've grown up repeating the cycle of abuse...his bouts of anger and all. But there is something special in Jack, the spark that ignited the something special in Ennis, and stopped the cycle that first night. Once Ennis came to grip with his homophobia on SNIT, the cycle was broken for good. The feeling of pawing the white out of the Moon can do that to a guy...sending anger issues packing.

By the time they came off the mountain, the anger in Ennis resurfaced, first with that sucker punch, and later, in the alley, as anger turned inward, into that gut wrench.

It occurs to me after thinking about this, that depression kept Ennis from any joy in life except briefly with Alma in the snow, which probably reminded him of his time with Jack. With Alma all bundled up in thick winter clothing and half hidden in a tuque, I bet it wasn't hard to do, like when he flips Alma on her stomach in bed.

That's the reason the reunion was so important and significant for Ennis...as he jumps down those steps, he was relieved Jack didn't hold a grudge against him for that sucker punch and he was back there on the mountain feeling that same feeling of pawing the white out of the moon again. I bet Ennis at the landing, saying "Jack f@#king Twist", was feeling ready to fly, jumping off those stairs if he could.

That's the something special in Jack that sparked the something special in Ennis...acceptance, friendship, respect, finding a companion where none was expected. And where did Jack get this something special? In my opinion, it had everything to do with Jack's Ma, the Pentacost who stuck it out with an abusive husband on a desolate plain in the far corner of a dusty wind swept state. Jack was a dreamer because his Ma was a dreamer, too. I can just hear all the stories his Ma told him when he was a boy, nursing him in tears after another abusive episode from the old man. You can't start a fire without a spark, and that spark came down the ages in Jack's Ma's faith.  ::) Yes, I know... *o)  ~)

Back to your regular programming. Yes, BA. That's why I love it here, too. All the discussion keeps me thinking.  #$# and  :t)

Hey Lancecowboy,

No problem,  we all see things differently,   its something I thought I throw out there.  Its funny how you at the end of your post you write about Jack's parents.   Jack had a protector in his mother.  His father nothing but another abuser, a old bitter wind bag wondering how he got a "sissy" for a son.

The only distinct difference between Jack and Ennis,  Jack felt his father would never accept him,  Ennis knew his father would kill him.    Which makes me think that is why Jack needed and wanted a place of his own with Ennis,  his own where he could be himself, and with the man he loved,  yes he was a big dreamer, he saw light at the end of the tunnel. 

Ennis comes from a darker, twisted stock. His father brought the death to his sons,  and encourage violence towards each other.  Ennis's father showed that the most intimate,  personal part of yourself,  can bring death.  I wonder is that why Ennis was still a virgin at his age. 

Than Jack comes along,  and "BAM!!!!!"  Sex was the first night,  Intimacy was the second night,  and there was something about Jack as oppose to Alma that Ennis took the plunge.     He couldn't resist it,  fight it but gave into it,  and later couldn't live without it, but his father's ghost returns.   Talk about Hamlet on crack.  lol.         
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: mimi on Jul 08, 2010, 05:59 AM
hahaha gotta love your hamlet on crack analogy  ;D

and its an interesting point u raised about the sex. maybe Ennis was afraid of the intimacy, like you said, or maybe it was simply that he hadnt met the right gal (or guy as we later learn :P )

either way, it happened with Jack that's for sure! talk about gun's goin off!
but at the same time that passion he shared with jack doesnt exactly prove that ennis was gay. i tend to think thety were simply two people who fell in love. leave out the labels, because thats really what the story is trying to convey
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 08, 2010, 06:13 AM
Hey Lancecowboy,

No problem,  we all see things differently,   its something I thought I throw out there.  Its funny how you at the end of your post you write about Jack's parents.   Jack had a protector in his mother.  His father nothing but another abuser, a old bitter wind bag wondering how he got a "sissy" for a son.

Interesting point. Ennis's Pa may not be a model parent but at least he didn't piss on Ennis or made him feel worthless. He just had high expectations and cruel methods. Jack's old man, on the other hand, was emotionally as well as physically abusive. Ennis could look up to his pa, but Jack could have nothing but contempt for the old man. In a sense, Ennis's fear of his father personifies his homophobia.

The only distinct difference between Jack and Ennis,  Jack felt his father would never accept him,  Ennis knew his father would kill him.    Which makes me think that is why Jack needed and wanted a place of his own with Ennis,  his own where he could be himself, and with the man he loved,  yes he was a big dreamer, he saw light at the end of the tunnel. 

Exactly. Jack knew he already failed as far as his old man is concerned. So riding more than bull was nothing too terrible for Jack. Ennis still tried to live up to his old man's expectations. If it were not for Jack, he'd never sleep with a man, or a woman until they got married.

Ennis comes from a darker, twisted stock. His father brought the death to his sons,  and encourage violence towards each other.  Ennis's father showed that the most intimate,  personal part of yourself,  can bring death.  I wonder is that why Ennis was still a virgin at his age. 

Yup. For sure. Ennis's old man was the typical hypocrite...do as I say, not as I do. All the old rules were laid down thick at a young age. Ennis was the kind of child who would follow the rules. Even as an adult, he would never thought breaking the law, or crossing Aquierre. It's only when Jack spurred him on, that he began to learn to look at authority figures with a different perspective, and not a little contempt. Fu@# Aquierre.

Than Jack comes along,  and "BAM!!!!!"  Sex was the first night,  Intimacy was the second night,  and there was something about Jack as oppose to Alma that Ennis took the plunge.     He couldn't resist it,  fight it but gave into it,  and later couldn't live without it, but his father's ghost returns.   Talk about Hamlet on crack.  lol.         

Firstly, it took a whole month or so, for the two of them working together building a camp, a life in the wilderness, before their friendship got off on firm footing. And with a little help from the whiskey, Ennis began to talk more freely, and Jack fell in love...enough to risk it on FNIT. Ennis already felt good from the friendship, from the whiskey. If Jack tried anything on their first night, or even without a friendship after a month together, the story would be very different. But because Jack was Jack, and their friendship caught on fire that FNIT, and more consciously on SNIT...Ennis also fell in love the rest of that summer whenever they had their brilliant if infrequent coupling.

Secondly, I don't know if Hamlet is appropriate in this case. I don't know if Ennis missed his father. He might miss the financial support, but I don't suppose there is much love lost. Also, Hamlet wanted to avenge his father, especially a villain so vile, but Ennis had no one to blame but the parents who missed the only curve in fifty miles. It just occurred to me that of all the words in the English language to relay the story of his parents' accident, Ennis chose "They missed it." Or did he? I am too lazy to look up the screen play and short story. If he did, perhaps that's a Freudian slip...they missed it; I miss them.  :s)

But I agree that it is likely the ghost of his father who kept homophobia foremost on his mind. For better or for worse, parents definitely can have a great impact on their children. That's for sure.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: daliah on Jul 08, 2010, 08:02 AM
i dont think he was.He grown up by the taboo of being gay.His father make them watch the massacre of a killed gay.He has always feared the concept of "gay".Being gay is so utopian for him
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: Inner_Me on Jul 08, 2010, 05:17 PM
i dont think he was.He grown up by the taboo of being gay.His father make them watch the massacre of a killed gay.He has always feared the concept of "gay".Being gay is so utopian for him

Utopian... That's interesting.
Well, we live in the 21st century. We have a different perspective upon homosexuality than people had a few years ago.

I hardly think Ennis was "gay", atleast not in modern terms. I doubt he even knew himself WHO he was.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: brandedandrew on Jul 08, 2010, 06:43 PM
Interesting point. Ennis's Pa may not be a model parent but at least he didn't piss on Ennis or made him feel worthless. He just had high expectations and cruel methods. Jack's old man, on the other hand, was emotionally as well as physically abusive. Ennis could look up to his pa, but Jack could have nothing but contempt for the old man. In a sense, Ennis's fear of his father personifies his homophobia.

Exactly. Jack knew he already failed as far as his old man is concerned. So riding more than bull was nothing too terrible for Jack. Ennis still tried to live up to his old man's expectations. If it were not for Jack, he'd never sleep with a man, or a woman until they got married.

Yup. For sure. Ennis's old man was the typical hypocrite...do as I say, not as I do. All the old rules were laid down thick at a young age. Ennis was the kind of child who would follow the rules. Even as an adult, he would never thought breaking the law, or crossing Aquierre. It's only when Jack spurred him on, that he began to learn to look at authority figures with a different perspective, and not a little contempt. Fu@# Aquierre.

Firstly, it took a whole month or so, for the two of them working together building a camp, a life in the wilderness, before their friendship got off on firm footing. And with a little help from the whiskey, Ennis began to talk more freely, and Jack fell in love...enough to risk it on FNIT. Ennis already felt good from the friendship, from the whiskey. If Jack tried anything on their first night, or even without a friendship after a month together, the story would be very different. But because Jack was Jack, and their friendship caught on fire that FNIT, and more consciously on SNIT...Ennis also fell in love the rest of that summer whenever they had their brilliant if infrequent coupling.

Secondly, I don't know if Hamlet is appropriate in this case. I don't know if Ennis missed his father. He might miss the financial support, but I don't suppose there is much love lost. Also, Hamlet wanted to avenge his father, especially a villain so vile, but Ennis had no one to blame but the parents who missed the only curve in fifty miles. It just occurred to me that of all the words in the English language to relay the story of his parents' accident, Ennis chose "They missed it." Or did he? I am too lazy to look up the screen play and short story. If he did, perhaps that's a Freudian slip...they missed it; I miss them.  :s)

But I agree that it is likely the ghost of his father who kept homophobia foremost on his mind. For better or for worse, parents definitely can have a great impact on their children. That's for sure.

Neither father would be candidates for "daddy of the year",  beating and pissing on a child is cruel, abusive, and damages a child self of themselves as a human being,  but just as cruel is physiological abuse, and to my unskilled mind on stuff like this,  maybe more damaging.   It changes someone view of themselves and the world.  Its scars them without leaving marks on the body,  but marks on their soul,  it to changes their sense of themselves, and how they view the world and themselves in that world.  Its been said here over and over how self hating Ennis was,  how damaged he was.  Maybe at nine Ennis could of felt like Rich and Earl, and admire those "old birds". Maybe, he had those feelings.   Being gay is not all about who we do it with,  but who we are as human being. It could be "I've always felt this way, but its wrong, and I could die".  He struggled inwardly trying to keep himself alive, knowing who he was could kill him, and knowing what he was his father would kill him without a second thought.  Ennis knew what queer was,  and it wasn't him.

JMO.   



Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 08, 2010, 07:22 PM
Neither father would be candidates for "daddy of the year",  beating and pissing on a child is cruel, abusive, and damages a child self of themselves as a human being,  but just as cruel is physiological abuse, and to my unskilled mind on stuff like this,  maybe more damaging.   It changes someone view of themselves and the world.  Its scars them without leaving marks on the body,  but marks on their soul,  it to changes their sense of themselves, and how they view the world and themselves in that world.  Its been said here over and over how self hating Ennis was,  how damaged he was.  Maybe at nine Ennis could of felt like Rich and Earl, and admire those "old birds". Maybe, he had those feelings.   Being gay is not all about who we do it with,  but who we are as human being. It could be "I've always felt this way, but its wrong, and I could die".  He struggled inwardly trying to keep himself alive, knowing who he was could kill him, and knowing what he was his father would kill him without a second thought.  Ennis knew what queer was,  and it wasn't him.

JMO.    

Don't get me wrong. I am not defending Ennis's old man. They are both Bad. All I was saying was that Jack's old man was toxic...in the sense that he would daily put down Jack's own self-worth ... "never good enough for the old man, no way" and Ennis's Pa was no better. They are six of one and half a dozen of the other.

My point was that it takes a specially kind of sick person, to piss on their own child. Then again, it also takes a specially kind of sick person to show his own child a mutilated corpse, perhaps even did the deed himself.

Like I said, six of one...half a dozen of the other.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Jul 09, 2010, 10:58 AM
For me,both men were toxic and malignant as a fathers;both,each of them in their own way,let an indelible mark inside their children.The only difference -enough difference,IMO...-is that Jack's,as Lance says,put down his son's own self worth,while we don't know for sure how supportive Ennis's was(even if I doubt it,frankly...).But they had an enormous influence in their children's way of seeing life and love and their way of loving in the end.
Enormous enough as to be,surely,the root of their love story and later tragedy.Because Jack's father increased in him the wish of love and be loved,as well as someone else could appreciate his qualities;but Ennis's not only made him want somebody who loved him only for being absent-what would have been logical in any case,on the other hand...-.No,not only this,but he increased in the boy the unconscious wish of loving "in another way",since he remarked how bad this was since he was 9.Put two uprooted boys longing for loving and being loved with these vital antecedents together,and it's not strange that it happenned what we know up on the mountain.Well,maybe we'll have to thank Mr.Del Mar and Mr.Twist for having influenced so much in their sons,even if in the wrong way,according to them ¡  ;D ^-^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 09, 2010, 08:25 PM
Sorry mpj, I am sure you said it tongue in cheek, but I wouldn't wish these horrible "fathers" on anyone, much less thanking them.

Jack is Jack thanks to his Ma. The old man had nothing to do with it. Without him, Jack would have been even better.

Ennis is also Ennis because he was loved by his Mom. The story he related during the dozy embrace showed a loving mother.

Ennis and Jack would have a sweet life without the hateful old men in the way.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Jul 19, 2010, 12:09 PM
Sorry mpj, I am sure you said it tongue in cheek, but I wouldn't wish these horrible "fathers" on anyone, much less thanking them.

Jack is Jack thanks to his Ma. The old man had nothing to do with it. Without him, Jack would have been even better.

Ennis is also Ennis because he was loved by his Mom. The story he related during the dozy embrace showed a loving mother.

Ennis and Jack would have a sweet life without the hateful old men in the way.

If "tongue in cheek" means being ironic,of course I was ¡ I supposed it had been clear enough according to my way of explaining my "theory" that I wouldn't wish anybody to have-or suffer-this kind of fathers...Of course,both Jack and Ennis knew what love and being loved was thanks to their mothers,who were the right counterpart to the devilish influence of the male part of their parents.
But there's life beyond mothers when you grow older,and what I meant in this sense is that two uprooted boys with a great need of being loved but also being and feeling themselves valued for someone else than their mothers would have a great possibility of feeling attached to one another.It was in this sense and not any other that I was referring to Mr.Twist and Mr.DelMar influence in their children;because they increased with their behaviour the boys need of love,being loved and accepted,as only another uprooted boy could give.I don't know if all this makes sense... :-\\
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 19, 2010, 12:45 PM
No worries, mpj. I knew what you meant, but I just want to make sure it is clearly stated. It's easy sometimes for these subtle ironies to be lost in translation.

If "tongue in cheek" means being ironic,of course I was ¡ I supposed it had been clear enough according to my way of explaining my "theory" that I wouldn't wish anybody to have-or suffer-this kind of fathers...Of course,both Jack and Ennis knew what love and being loved was thanks to their mothers,who were the right counterpart to the devilish influence of the male part of their parents.

Good observation that the mothers are the counterparts/opposite of the fathers.  O0 Ying and Yang.

But there's life beyond mothers when you grow older,and what I meant in this sense is that two uprooted boys with a great need of being loved but also being and feeling themselves valued for someone else than their mothers would have a great possibility of feeling attached to one another.

Beautifully stated and exactly what I feel about the basis for the love between Ennis and Jack...their great need to be loved, valued, and the surprise at finding it fulfilled by someone unexpected.

It was in this sense and not any other that I was referring to Mr.Twist and Mr.DelMar influence in their children;because they increased with their behaviour the boys need of love,being loved and accepted,as only another uprooted boy could give.I don't know if all this makes sense... :-\\

Here, I respectfully disagree. As we said, the source of love in these cowboys came from their mothers. Without the horrible fathers, the boys would be free to soar, and love as well as needing to be loved. The fathers diminished the love in their sons, not enhanced them. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

This image came to mind as I struggle to explain how I see the situation. Love is like water. Mothers are sources of water in their children. Greater the mother's love, stronger and more powerful the currents that spring from the souls of the children. Fathers are like the channels that shape the flow of the water, directing them where to go, how to do useful work, or get wasted spilling over banks, draining uselessly into the swamps. The horrible fathers made their sons lives miserable, by either capping those powerful wells shut, as in the case of Ennis, so that the water must explode in anger once in a while, or degrade them into useless shallow puddles, as in the case of Jack, when he had no directions, no confidence to build anything lasting, do anything physical, except to ride a piece of stock for eight seconds, and even then he wasn't any much good at it, the dumb ass missing.

With great fathers, the love in these boys would have found the right channels, and been the nourishment that lasted them for a life time. True, some fathers are also like mothers, inspiring love in their children, but those are great loving fathers, not these abusive horrible men. Sorry, mpj, there ain't nothing in the world that can make me feel any sympathy for the disgusting stud duck or the self-righteous hateful man who celebrated death. I wish they had never been born, and Ennis and Jack grew up with loving fathers, so their story could have a happy ending instead.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Jul 20, 2010, 12:14 PM
No worries, mpj. I knew what you meant, but I just want to make sure it is clearly stated. It's easy sometimes for these subtle ironies to be lost in translation.
Oh,no,I wasn't worried,nor angry,even if maybe it seemed so ¡ %(  :^^)  I was just trying to explain,in an ironic way,how "grateful" we should be to these two men...Because,by means of not giving their children the love they needed,contributed to increase in them the need and the skills of giving and receiving love.

Good observation that the mothers are the counterparts/opposite of the fathers.  O0 Ying and Yang.
:t) Here,I meant how necessary had been for both boys someone who was the opposite of two fathers who only could teach their children to hate.In order not to be a copy of them,Ennis and Jack,or whoever,need clearly another teacher to learn the value of love and make it grow before hate,intolerance and repression.

Beautifully stated and exactly what I feel about the basis for the love between Ennis and Jack...their great need to be loved, valued, and the surprise at finding it fulfilled by someone unexpected.

Here, I respectfully disagree. As we said, the source of love in these cowboys came from their mothers. Without the horrible fathers, the boys would be free to soar, and love as well as needing to be loved. The fathers diminished the love in their sons, not enhanced them. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

This image came to mind as I struggle to explain how I see the situation. Love is like water. Mothers are sources of water in their children. Greater the mother's love, stronger and more powerful the currents that spring from the souls of the children. Fathers are like the channels that shape the flow of the water, directing them where to go, how to do useful work, or get wasted spilling over banks, draining uselessly into the swamps. The horrible fathers made their sons lives miserable, by either capping those powerful wells shut, as in the case of Ennis, so that the water must explode in anger once in a while, or degrade them into useless shallow puddles, as in the case of Jack, when he had no directions, no confidence to build anything lasting, do anything physical, except to ride a piece of stock for eight seconds, and even then he wasn't any much good at it, the dumb ass missing.

With great fathers, the love in these boys would have found the right channels, and been the nourishment that lasted them for a life time. True, some fathers are also like mothers, inspiring love in their children, but those are great loving fathers, not these abusive horrible men. Sorry, mpj, there ain't nothing in the world that can make me feel any sympathy for the disgusting stud duck or the self-righteous hateful man who celebrated death. I wish they had never been born, and Ennis and Jack grew up with loving fathers, so their story could have a happy ending instead.

You have exposed your theories as beautifully as always,Lance ¡  :clap:  I really love the comparison you make with what love is and what kind of influence this lack of love had in each one of them.However,I think we are saying the same,but in different ways-and much better in your case,of course...-.I agree in that,with two loving fathers,the most similar to their mothers they could be,both boys had known how to "canalise" their emotions and the way of showing them.But I was referring to the boomerang effect -to call it somehow...-that having a father not very fond of showing love to their children can have in them in the middle-long term.
Sometimes,abusers are clearly sons of another abuser,and this is something proved enough;but in a more positive personality,not being a loved child takes you in the older age to look desperately for love and to be able to give and received it in a greater way than someone who has has two normal father and mother.Somehow,Ennis and Jack were two uprooted boys,and they were so "thanks" to their fathers,not to their mothers;their bestiality was what made them have a desperate need of feeling love and being valued for someone else,since specially OMT was never able to support his son in anyhing he did.
By the way,there's something in your post I think I must be angry about... %^% %^% %^% You say:Sorry, mpj, there ain't nothing in the world that can make me feel any sympathy for the disgusting stud duck or the self-righteous hateful man who celebrated death. Oh,my ¡ You don't need to be sorry before me ¡ I'm not defending,nor I have never done it,these two specimen who confounded what being a man means with a simple excess of testosterone taken in the worst sense...Nor,of course,never in my !@#$ life have I felt any kind of sympathy for people like that,because my way of thinking,my ideology and my feelings are in the antipodes of all this.With all my respect.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 20, 2010, 12:31 PM
okay, mpj. I think I understand what you are saying, that by depriving Ennis and Jack fatherly love, these men made the two cowboys even more hungry for male love. I don't disagree with your theory, since it is probably true in some cases. I don't know what would happen to Ennis and Jack if they had loving fathers, so the hypothetical comparison is beyond me.

Having said that, I still would prefer Ennis and Jack to have loving fathers than these two, no matter the impact on their yearning for male love. The reason is simple: the side-effects of their abusive ways are far worse than any "positive" impact they may have. No thank you.

I apologize if I misunderstood your "sympathies" for these two. As I said, sometimes it's not easier to understand over the net. Thank you for your patience and kind words.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Jul 20, 2010, 05:08 PM
 :^^)  ^f^ ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Jul 21, 2010, 09:13 AM
okay, mpj. I think I understand what you are saying, that by depriving Ennis and Jack fatherly love, these men made the two cowboys even more hungry for male love. I don't disagree with your theory, since it is probably true in some cases. I don't know what would happen to Ennis and Jack if they had loving fathers, so the hypothetical comparison is beyond me.

Having said that, I still would prefer Ennis and Jack to have loving fathers than these two, no matter the impact on their yearning for male love. The reason is simple: the side-effects of their abusive ways are far worse than any "positive" impact they may have. No thank you.

I apologize if I misunderstood your "sympathies" for these two. As I said, sometimes it's not easier to understand over the net. Thank you for your patience and kind words.

However,I must clarify that I don't think that having two rough fathers made them specially look for male love,but simply for LOVE,in capital letters.But,as always,I should empathize two aspects;1rst.,I have always though that having an homophobic father,made Ennis feel a duality of attraction-repulsion about homosexuality that made him also "eat the forbidden fruit" as soon as he had the opportunity-I have said this many times before,so I better not repeat myself...-.And 2nd.,you're right in that the lack of fatherly love impelled both boys towards male love,maybe as a way of having other men's approval?...Surely it did,increased by the fact that they had to share a lot of things,a lot of confidences that led them to a great intimacy in all the senses.So,is in this concrete sense that I referred to be "grateful" to both fathers behaviour,because it somehow throw both boys in each other's arms,even if the way wasn't the most proper...
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 21, 2010, 02:11 PM
However,I must clarify that I don't think that having two rough fathers made them specially look for male love,but simply for LOVE,in capital letters.But,as always,I should empathize two aspects;1rst.,I have always though that having an homophobic father,made Ennis feel a duality of attraction-repulsion about homosexuality that made him also "eat the forbidden fruit" as soon as he had the opportunity-I have said this many times before,so I better not repeat myself...-.And 2nd.,you're right in that the lack of fatherly love impelled both boys towards male love,maybe as a way of having other men's approval?...Surely it did,increased by the fact that they had to share a lot of things,a lot of confidences that led them to a great intimacy in all the senses.So,is in this concrete sense that I referred to be "grateful" to both fathers behaviour,because it somehow throw both boys in each other's arms,even if the way wasn't the most proper...

No, mpj. I was not saying that. I was trying to understand if YOU were saying that. As I wrote earlier, I don't agree with it, but what do I know about what makes people gay or yearn for love for that matter. It's all a mystery to me and that's why I am here.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: WildCatIsle on Jul 21, 2010, 06:38 PM
Interesting  discussion MPJ & LC .

But where it's written that  a boy/man, girl/woman, cannot to love each to other?

Ennis and Jack are belated adolescent, before they meet, they are completely defined their sexuality. People don't change  their sexual desire.

The context - the situation - is must, in order to become a loving relation.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Jul 22, 2010, 10:33 AM
No, mpj. I was not saying that. I was trying to understand if YOU were saying that. As I wrote earlier, I don't agree with it, but what do I know about what makes people gay or yearn for love for that matter. It's all a mystery to me and that's why I am here.

Anyhow,I said that you were right in that this was one of the possibilities,one of the consequences that a rough father could have in a child's pique.About any other misunderstanding,blame it on my poor English skills. :m} :m} :m} However,I don't know,since human beings are very complicated,enough as not being able to put any label(one more time,the labels...)that can be proper for everybody in moral,mental and love matters.Even if I keep on declaring that their fathers lack of affection has a great impact in both Ennis and Jack-each one of them in their own way-,as great as their mother's affection,unluckily.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Jul 22, 2010, 10:52 AM
Interesting  discussion MPJ & LC .

But where it's written that  a boy/man, girl/woman, cannot to love each to other?

Ennis and Jack are belated adolescent, before they meet, they are completely defined their sexuality. People don't change  their sexual desire.

The context - the situation - is must, in order to become a loving relation.

Thanks,WiC ¡ As a matter of fact,I love discussing (not arguing  %^% ).Well,of course that it's written nowhere-or it shouldn't be-that two same-sex persons cannot love each other ¡;denying it would be the same than denying ourselves,cause many of us are in the same boat,let's say...But you will agree in that sometimes,even if someone has completely defined one's sexuality,can change one's sexual desire if find someone in a concrete context and situation,as you say.There're many stories of persons who couldn't have been defined as gays until a concrete moment of their lives by having met someone,in spite of themselves and their own beliefs until that very moment.But,as I have said in my former post,I think human physique is very complex,enough as scape to any predetermined reactions. :i
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: lancecowboy on Jul 22, 2010, 10:53 AM
No worries, mpj. Please don't  :m} because there is no reason to be upset or feel frustrated. I enjoy our discussion, and in attempting to communicate, I learn more than if I just take for granted what I thought on my own.

I understand what you are proposing, both in irony, and in an attempt to take a bad situation and give it a good aspect. However, I really don't see anything of redeeming value in those two old bullies.

You say that their withholding their affection for their son helped to increase the son's need for love. I don't agree nor disagree with that proposition because, as I said, I am not sure the mechanism for a person's yearning for love operates in exactly that way. There are enough examples of people growing up deprived of parental affection which turn out extremely badly, antisocial and psychopathic even. My proposal is only that the mothers alone have been instrumental in the emotional development of our cowboys. Without their mothers, Ennis would not be Ennis, but some homophobic bully like his Pa, and Jack would not be Jack, but some piss-ant going through life, dejected, rejected, doing nothing but wandering around with his dreams amounting to nothing.

It is never easy to look at hypothetical situations, and there is no definitive answers. If your proposal fills some space for you, by all means continue to think that. We can agree to disagree without any hard feelings. The love of the mothers in Ennis and Jack certainly fill some space for me, so I will continue to think that for myself, without needing validation or convincing others. I'm just sharing my thoughts, thinking out loud, so to speak.

 #s} ^f^
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Jul 22, 2010, 11:09 AM
Oh,no,Lance ¡  %( I don't feel upset nor frustrated;in any case,the only subject that really upsets and frustrates me is not being able to speak English properly ¡  ^*) So,don't worry in this sense,please...I also love to discuss because it obliges you to think things over and,as a consequence,learn a lot for other person's reasons and opinions,because nobody is absolutely right and from two different opinions a third one can be born.
Yes,you're right again-and I also put this example before-in that some persons deprived of affection turn out antisocial ones;but there're also some others who like and try to give the others all the love they couldn't have when children.Who knows who has the "correct" reaction,then? All of us,each one of us,are and have a whole world inside us,and react,cry,laugh,love and LIVE according to our circumstances;but also according to everything what forms our selves,by the way we have lived and the influences we have had...Of course ¡ I subscribe every single word with what you describe how our boys lives had been without their mothers love counterpart: that's for sure,and I have never denied it,because then the balance between affection and roughness had been clearly inclined towards the second...
No,it's never easy to look at hypothetical situations,and nor is to look at real ones,because of this complexity.But for me,it's not a question of keep on thinking like that or this other way,it's not a question of getting obstined in one's positions;we're discussing the many interpretations about the reasons for Ennis being gay or not or the influence of love in persons.That's enough and very important for me. :ghug:
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: WildCatIsle on Jul 22, 2010, 07:36 PM
But you will agree in that sometimes,even if someone has completely defined one's sexuality,can change one's sexual desire if find someone in a concrete context and situation,as you say.There're many stories of persons who couldn't have been defined as gays until a concrete moment of their lives by having met someone,in spite of themselves and their own beliefs until that very moment.But,as I have said in my former post,I think human physique is very complex,enough as scape to any predetermined reactions. :i

Nevertheless MPJ , I don't mean that; when I say "Ennis and Jack are belated adolescent, before they meet, they are completely defined their sexuality”  I talk about both already they are homosexuals. Sexual identity development is during adolescence, sexual desire beginning becomes adolescence to the 11-12, y.o. To that age,  character, knows towards where desire goes his.

When I speak of the context, simply I talk about a condition that favors the encounter, the feeling. If Ennis or Jack were not homoxesuals, it had never been able to happen.

I don’t agree, people don’t change sexual identity; anybody cannot discover to 19 or 25 y.o what has a diverse sexual identity which it felt.

Of course, many people think  discover his/ her sexual identity being adult; caused by negation, repression or how anyone by means. Human physique is complex, yes, but often it clouds . Sexual identity never change, IMHO.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Sep 07, 2010, 12:26 PM
Coming back to this old thread and although I think it has been said before,I have been thinking in the certain contradiction about Ennis sexual and,almost,social behaviour.He was the one who felt more down in the moment of their leaving the mountain,because he knew for sure they weren't going to see each other any more in their "normal" lives.He was the one who began again their relationship as in their BBM times,not only by the fact of not denying Jack's wishes,but by giving himself completely even before the other man could give any step forwards.He was the one who felt more jealous about Jack's other relationship with men,even if these men were prostitutes and a mere sexual relief,in a,I opine,rather gay reaction.In this sense,he was the one who felt absolutely easy when he knew Jack has an affair with a woman,and not only because he knew his lover couldn't love the other gender,but also for himself,even if he wasn't able to admit it(the most "queer" Jack was,the most he was too ¡).He was,in sum,who maintained a behaviour that someone could easily identify with what gay people was obliged to have in those times; some sexual meetings"once in a while" with no compromise at all(being this non compromise due to fear or whatever).
However,he was denying all this somehow during all his life and,at the same,denying himself,denying his feelings...He was "gay" enough for their times-and please,may everybody forgive me;it's not my intention offend anybody,but only my poor English skills  :m} ) as to believe that it was better f@#ng a man,the mere sexual intercourse than loving a man,what was impossible according to his point of view.Loving someone of his own sex was something that he saw like an step forward to queerness,something deeper that could cause a shock in his mind and soul-and maybe,body >:D -.I don't know if this makes any sense,but,anyhow,is one of the many Ennis contradictions and inner anguishes; a good study example for any psychologist ¡.JMHO.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: haveacrush on Sep 17, 2010, 02:28 PM
who defines sexuality ? who defines what is gay and what is not ? who defines what is normal and abnormal ? we have invented jargons and rules for defining "normal" - society, social upbringing (ennis having a special upbrining bcz he has seen the dead "gay" men in his childhood) teaches us what is normal and what is not - it teaches one to be prejudiced. it is impossible to say if there were no such "teacings" how would one's sexual orientation really be ? love is a very higher order word which defies sexuality, let alone jargons like gay or straight. ennis was in love ! finished
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: WildCatIsle on Sep 17, 2010, 03:45 PM
who defines sexuality ? who defines what is gay and what is not ? who defines what is normal and abnormal ? we have invented jargons and rules for defining "normal" - society, social upbringing (ennis having a special upbrining bcz he has seen the dead "gay" men in his childhood) teaches us what is normal and what is not - it teaches one to be prejudiced. it is impossible to say if there were no such "teacings" how would one's sexual orientation really be ? love is a very higher order word which defies sexuality, let alone jargons like gay or straight. ennis was in love ! finished

I'm sorry, with such relativism, does cann't talk about anything
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: myprivatejack on Nov 24, 2010, 12:21 PM
I'm also against levels,haveacrush,and much more when we are talking about human reactions and feelings; but we must define and analyse Ennis behaviour calling things in a determinate definition,to make them understand in the best way...I'd say that Ennis was gay with Jack because he was happy with him,he loved and wanted him and he couldn't imagine his life without him,another man.As someone said very well much before,Ennis was "Jacksexual".And I think that this is what should matter the most for everybody,beyond all kind of level,definitions and cliches.
Title: Re: was ennis gay ?
Post by: perarduaadastra on Feb 19, 2011, 02:47 AM
Ennis was not gay, Jack was not gay,there is no such thing as gay, just antigays make it all up.