Author Topic: Jack Jnr and Francine  (Read 8416 times)

Offline daveya26

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 75
  • Gender: Male
Jack Jnr and Francine
« on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:18 AM »
Hi

I dont know if another thread was created about this but I was thinking about the character of Alma Jnr, then it hit me... we barely see Jack Jnr or Francine.  Francine is mentioned like once in the short story but Jack does refer to Jack Jnr's dyslexia at one point.

I realise there is limited time and the focus must be on the central relationship, but I do think its a shame we barely see Jack as a father.  Maybe that was the point tho, we see so little of it as a reflection of how important a factor in his life it was?

Offline Allan

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 75
  • Gender: Male
Re: Jack Jnr and Francine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:32 PM »

I realise there is limited time and the focus must be on the central relationship, but I do think its a shame we barely see Jack as a father.  Maybe that was the point tho, we see so little of it as a reflection of how important a factor in his life it was?

I think that these lines from Annie P.'s story tell us what we need to know abouty how the boys feel about fatherhood:

“I used a want a boy for a kid,” said Ennis, undoing buttons, “but just got little girls.”
“I didn’t want none a either kind,” said Jack. “But f***-all has worked the way I wanted. Nothin never come to my hand the right way.”

That being said... Ennis adores his children, and they adore him.  Alma Jr. is the one bright light in Ennis' future after Jack's death.  As for Francine... who, for reasons unknown, becomes Jenny in the movie... well, we just don't know much about her.

Offline daveya26

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 75
  • Gender: Male
Re: Jack Jnr and Francine
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2006, 05:45 AM »
Hi

Yeh, I realised they changed the names of Jack Jnr and Francine for the movie - wonder why?

I saw it again last night and there was a nice little scene of Jack and his son driving a big tractor though - and he did badger his wife to ring the school about a tutor for his son.

Offline Walford

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 28
Re: Jack Jnr and Francine
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2006, 03:44 AM »
I was curious why they changed Francine's name to Jenny, but as far as I can find, Jacks's son is never named in the short story.

Offline ande_nem

  • Lureen
  • ***
  • Posts: 187
  • Gender: Female
  • I love my little nasty Jack
Re: Jack Jnr and Francine
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 10:54 AM »
Isn't Jack's son called Bobby though, and not Jack Jnr?
I hope you know that, even if you don't never know the rest

Offline Allan

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 75
  • Gender: Male
Re: Jack Jnr and Francine
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 11:40 AM »
I was curious why they changed Francine's name to Jenny, but as far as I can find, Jacks's son is never named in the short story.

I mentioned this in another thread, but it applies here.  I think that they changed Francine's name because, at a quick listen, Francine sounds too much like Lureen and they were concerned about character confusion.  Allan

Offline Toadily

  • Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2777
  • Gender: Female
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
Re: Jack Jnr and Francine
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 01:19 PM »
Isn't Jack's son called Bobby though, and not Jack Jnr?

I have a feeling it was changed to Bobby so it was easier to know how they are talking to, we associate the name Jack with
our Jack so much (and people don't refer to their kids as Junior generally)
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline chameau

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 28148
  • Gender: Male
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: Jack Jnr and Francine
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 01:40 PM »
I would add, we refer to Alma Jr. to Junior only, that wuold have been misleading to have two characters named Junior.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Toadily

  • Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2777
  • Gender: Female
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
Re: Jack Jnr and Francine
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 01:46 PM »
I would add, we refer to Alma Jr. to Junior only, that wuold have been misleading to have two characters named Junior.

Good point.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand