Author Topic: What Scenes Would you Discuss  (Read 11254 times)

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
What Scenes Would you Discuss
« on: Jun 02, 2006, 06:55 AM »

This thread is a bit self-serving, as I am moderating a discussion group on BBM tonight with an old forumer here (Liam56). 

If you were moderating a discussion group and were pressed for time, what aspects and/or scenes (name 2 or 3 at the most) from the story or movie would you concentrate on and/or consider essential to understanding the story?  Why?

I have a personal list but would be glad to hear from all of you.





 

Offline MississaugaRed

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3641
  • Gender: Female
  • Gone too soon, but never forgotten.
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2006, 08:46 AM »
Wow, tpe, how to narrow it down to just 2 or 3 important scenes??  Big dilemma, I don't envy you that task!

Personally, IMHO, I would say at the very least the "prayer of Thanks" scene, because it lays out Jack's desire for their future and the fears that control Ennis's life, fears that inevitably prevent Jack's dreams from coming to pass.  The next 16 years are more or less laid out from this point, perhaps??

Maybe the divorce misunderstanding scene, because it represents the gut-shot to Jack that starts the slow, painful death of the hopes he'd been holding on to in spite of Ennis's earlier assertions that it was not to be.

That scene then ties into the final confrontation they have at the river on their last camping trip, the "I wish I knew how to quit you" scene.  Here are the ashes of lives not lived and raw wounds are finally laid bare to each other.

Of course, a scene from their Brokeback summer would be rquired maybe to show the growth of their friendship and love ... but what scene would you choose there, out of all of those beautiful moments, to represent the birth of their relationship??   :-\\

Just my 2 cents, "for what it's worth".  :s)
"Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan".
My hovercraft is full of eels.

“I miss you,” Jack whispered. “I miss you.” He felt loved. He felt heard. Shades of Grey by MidwestGirl

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2006, 09:16 AM »
Wow, tpe, how to narrow it down to just 2 or 3 important scenes??  Big dilemma, I don't envy you that task!

Personally, IMHO, I would say at the very least the "prayer of Thanks" scene, because it lays out Jack's desire for their future and the fears that control Ennis's life, fears that inevitably prevent Jack's dreams from coming to pass.  The next 16 years are more or less laid out from this point, perhaps??

Maybe the divorce misunderstanding scene, because it represents the gut-shot to Jack that starts the slow, painful death of the hopes he'd been holding on to in spite of Ennis's earlier assertions that it was not to be.

That scene then ties into the final confrontation they have at the river on their last camping trip, the "I wish I knew how to quit you" scene.  Here are the ashes of lives not lived and raw wounds are finally laid bare to each other.

Of course, a scene from their Brokeback summer would be rquired maybe to show the growth of their friendship and love ... but what scene would you choose there, out of all of those beautiful moments, to represent the birth of their relationship??   :-\\

Just my 2 cents, "for what it's worth".  :s)

MississaugaRed . thanks a million.  The final confrontation is a must for most of us, I'm sure.  Your suggestions are beautifully stated.  I can't argue with you.  They are certainly key to a deeper understanding of the story's development...

I was thinking that it would be hard to ignore the last scene with Alma Jr.  Limiting ioneself to 2 or 3 scnenes is difficult -- perhaps impossible!

Thank you.  Thank you.



Offline MississaugaRed

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3641
  • Gender: Female
  • Gone too soon, but never forgotten.
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2006, 09:24 AM »

I was thinking that it would be hard to ignore the last scene with Alma Jr.  Limiting ioneself to 2 or 3 scnenes is difficult -- perhaps impossible!

Thank you.  Thank you.


No agrument there, Thomas!!  The beauty of Brokeback is going to make your decision very, very difficult.  There really isn't anything that could be called just "filler" is there?  Everything piece in the puzzel has value.   #)  Please do let us know what scenes you finally decide on and fill us in later on how the discussion group goes tonight!  Enjoy.  :)
"Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan".
My hovercraft is full of eels.

“I miss you,” Jack whispered. “I miss you.” He felt loved. He felt heard. Shades of Grey by MidwestGirl

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2006, 09:36 AM »
No agrument there, Thomas!!  The beauty of Brokeback is going to make your decision very, very difficult.  There really isn't anything that could be called just "filler" is there?  Everything piece in the puzzel has value.   #)  Please do let us know what scenes you finally decide on and fill us in later on how the discussion group goes tonight!  Enjoy.  :)

And some critics found the film too long.  We know better... :)

 

Offline stephan

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 4651
  • Gender: Male
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2006, 09:49 AM »
You lucky devil, Thomas, moderating a discussion tonight !! How I regret not being able to attend. But who says that one day I won't ?  :)

Suggestions ? I agree, the last rendez-vous on the mountain is a must. What about that brief non-discussion between the two just before the 2nd tent : "You know I ain't queer" ; "Me neither".

One of the discussions on this forum that I enjoyed greatly was the question : did Ennis love Alma ?

Btw, could you possibly tell us what happens after the discussions ?  ^f^

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2006, 09:53 AM »
You lucky devil, Thomas, moderating a discussion tonight !! How I regret not being able to attend. But who says that one day I won't ?  :)

Suggestions ? I agree, the last rendez-vous on the mountain is a must. What about that brief non-discussion between the two just before the 2nd tent : "You know I ain't queer" ; "Me neither".

One of the discussions on this forum that I enjoyed greatly was the question : did Ennis love Alma ?

Btw, could you possibly tell us what happens after the discussions ?  ^f^

The question is a wonderful suggestion!  Thanks Stephan for the help!

Yes, I will post a report this weekend or on Monday. 


Offline stephan

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 4651
  • Gender: Male
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2006, 10:10 AM »
Yes, I will post a report this weekend or on Monday. 


 :t) tpe.

I've done a search... the question never actually became a thread, but I recall discussing it. I'll try to find what we said about it.

I hope you have a terrific eveing.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2006, 10:15 AM »
Yes, I will post a report this weekend or on Monday. 


 :t) tpe.

I've done a search... the question never actually became a thread, but I recall discussing it. I'll try to find what we said about it.

I hope you have a terrific eveing.

Thank you nonetheless Stephan.  It may be part of a cursory discussion in some old thread.  I'll look around also...


Offline dirtbiker

  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 2768
  • Gender: Male
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2006, 10:37 AM »
tpe, one of the scenes that meant a lot to me was when Ennis asked Jack whether he had the feeling that people know.  It shows the deep seated fear he has for being found out and the consequences of that.  That fear is the root of his denial of his love for Jack.  I personally remember how scared I was when I was accidentally found out in boarding school and the harassment I went through, and whenever I walk down the school hallways, I would be thinking..."does he know too?"  That scene by the river brought back a flood of emotion in me.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2006, 10:47 AM »
tpe, one of the scenes that meant a lot to me was when Ennis asked Jack whether he had the feeling that people know.  It shows the deep seated fear he has for being found out and the consequences of that.  That fear is the root of his denial of his love for Jack.  I personally remember how scared I was when I was accidentally found out in boarding school and the harassment I went through, and whenever I walk down the school hallways, I would be thinking..."does he know too?"  That scene by the river brought back a flood of emotion in me.

So many tough choices.

Yes, this scene also serves as a chilling commentary to what immediately came before (the Thanksgiving scene) and what is to come.  That it also strikes a very personal chord in you does not obscure the fact that many people would probably identify in the same way as you did.  It is quite universal -- the fear of being found out and the consequences, either real or imagined.

Thanks dirtbiker.  I appreciate your sharing this very much.


Offline Jennis

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2502
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2006, 11:59 AM »
Hi Thomas,
I take it everyone involved will be familar with BBM?
Maybe some of the less obvious scenes and the parts which do not get discussed and pondered over might be useful.For instance.In all those years of Ennis and his fishing trips,did it really never cross his mind that Alma might know? I think the breaking down scene is obviously a favourite and i would love to hear other opinions on this.I have my own,but love to hear others.Maybe the motel scene?I think we were short changed in the film version.The book elaborates much more and i wish some of that had been transferred to the screenplay.

So many choices Thomas,i bet the discussion will not stay within 3 scenes.LOL...Hope it all goes well.How exciting.Please let us all know how it went.I am so interested and wish i was there too :)

Jennis.x

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2006, 12:12 PM »
Hi Thomas,
I take it everyone involved will be familar with BBM?
Maybe some of the less obvious scenes and the parts which do not get discussed and pondered over might be useful.For instance.In all those years of Ennis and his fishing trips,did it really never cross his mind that Alma might know? I think the breaking down scene is obviously a favourite and i would love to hear other opinions on this.I have my own,but love to hear others.Maybe the motel scene?I think we were short changed in the film version.The book elaborates much more and i wish some of that had been transferred to the screenplay.

So many choices Thomas,i bet the discussion will not stay within 3 scenes.LOL...Hope it all goes well.How exciting.Please let us all know how it went.I am so interested and wish i was there too :)

Jennis.x

Thanks Jennis.

Surprisingly, I am assuming that all need not be familiar.  You see, we will watch the film first, and then discuss.  WE may have a preliminary discussion before the movie...  It will be a long, long night!


Offline Jennis

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2502
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #13 on: Jun 02, 2006, 12:19 PM »
Hi Thomas,
I take it everyone involved will be familar with BBM?
Maybe some of the less obvious scenes and the parts which do not get discussed and pondered over might be useful.For instance.In all those years of Ennis and his fishing trips,did it really never cross his mind that Alma might know? I think the breaking down scene is obviously a favourite and i would love to hear other opinions on this.I have my own,but love to hear others.Maybe the motel scene?I think we were short changed in the film version.The book elaborates much more and i wish some of that had been transferred to the screenplay.

So many choices Thomas,i bet the discussion will not stay within 3 scenes.LOL...Hope it all goes well.How exciting.Please let us all know how it went.I am so interested and wish i was there too :)

Jennis.x

Thanks Jennis.

Surprisingly, I am assuming that all need not be familiar.  You see, we will watch the film first, and then discuss.  WE may have a preliminary discussion before the movie...  It will be a long, long night!


Ooh fresh BBM blood.LOL...You will have fun i'm sure and a great discussion.Good luck sweetie.

Jennis.x

Offline shieldmaid

  • Jack
  • *****
  • Posts: 618
  • Gender: Female
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #14 on: Jun 02, 2006, 12:22 PM »
Oh my goodness, tpe, I am very envious of your evening!!  I agree with everyone here; it's so hard to pick just three.  But I'd have to pick their conversation between FNIT and SNIT (which I think helps to clarify both their feelings for one another and the tensions/frustrations that will continue to haunt them), their conversation while camping after the reunion ("you know it could be like this. . ."), and Ennis's visit to the Twists after Jack's death.  All three of these for me are complicated by facial expression, tones of voice, and unspoken hopes/desires--as well as leaving lots of questions unanswered.

A close second would be Ennis's conversation with Junior when she gets engaged, and his last moments alone in the trailer.   :-\\
some open space between

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #15 on: Jun 02, 2006, 12:44 PM »
Thanks Jennis and shieldmaid.  :)

Since this will be a very long session (with more than 2 hours for the film alone), I was hoping to just zero in on at most 3 scenes and discuss them in depth.  This would stimulate them more than just touching briefly on a huge nuimber of scenes, no?  I would hope that showing them the depths of a few scenes would make them realize how rich this movie is, and this would perhaps entice many of them to come back to it.  BBM is a film that must be seen more than once.  I think I will start the session by saying this up-front.


Offline dirtbiker

  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 2768
  • Gender: Male
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #16 on: Jun 02, 2006, 12:46 PM »
Thanks Jennis and shieldmaid.  :)

Since this will be a very long session (with more than 2 hours for the film alone), I was hoping to just zero in on at most 3 scenes and discuss them in depth.  This would stimulate them more than just touching briefly on a huge nuimber of scenes, no?  I would hope that showing them the depths of a few scenes would make them realize how rich this movie is, and this would perhaps entice many of them to come back to it.  BBM is a film that must be seen more than once.  I think I will start the session by saying this up-front.



what kind of group is this, tpe?  Is it going to be screened in a theater, or watched on  reasonably large screen? 

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #17 on: Jun 02, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Thanks Jennis and shieldmaid.  :)

Since this will be a very long session (with more than 2 hours for the film alone), I was hoping to just zero in on at most 3 scenes and discuss them in depth.  This would stimulate them more than just touching briefly on a huge nuimber of scenes, no?  I would hope that showing them the depths of a few scenes would make them realize how rich this movie is, and this would perhaps entice many of them to come back to it.  BBM is a film that must be seen more than once.  I think I will start the session by saying this up-front.



what kind of group is this, tpe?  Is it going to be screened in a theater, or watched on  reasonably large screen? 

Hello dirtbiker.  It's going to be for a group of doctors, psychiatrists, and staff in some clinic/health care facility in the Chicago suburbs.  I mentioned that I hope they will be analyzing the movie and not me.


Offline Jennis

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2502
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #18 on: Jun 02, 2006, 01:20 PM »
Thanks Jennis and shieldmaid.  :)

Since this will be a very long session (with more than 2 hours for the film alone), I was hoping to just zero in on at most 3 scenes and discuss them in depth.  This would stimulate them more than just touching briefly on a huge nuimber of scenes, no?  I would hope that showing them the depths of a few scenes would make them realize how rich this movie is, and this would perhaps entice many of them to come back to it.  BBM is a film that must be seen more than once.  I think I will start the session by saying this up-front.



what kind of group is this, tpe?  Is it going to be screened in a theater, or watched on  reasonably large screen? 

Hello dirtbiker.  It's going to be for a group of doctors, psychiatrists, and staff in some clinic/health care facility in the Chicago suburbs.  I mentioned that I hope they will be analyzing the movie and not me.


LOL...I said fresh BBM blood and now you tell us they are doctors.Have to see the funny side. I bet they will analize you.It's in their blood ;D...tpe,is it being shown in a library or are you going to the cinema first,and then onto somewhere else for the discussion?
J.x

Offline Jennis

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2502
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #19 on: Jun 02, 2006, 01:25 PM »
If they are new to it,maybe you could ask them what scenes they would like to discuss? See if they come up with any on your list. ;)
J.x

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #20 on: Jun 02, 2006, 01:27 PM »
LOL...I said fresh BBM blood and now you tell us they are doctors.Have to see the funny side. I bet they will analize you.It's in their blood ;D...tpe,is it being shown in a library or are you going to the cinema first,and then onto somewhere else for the discussion?
J.x

Hello Jennis.  I really don't know the details, as Liam56 was the one who volunteered me.  :)  My suspicion is that depending on the group size, the venue for the film could be different from the discussion venue.  Personally, I hope the group would not be too large for the discussion.  Smaller discussion groups work better, I think.  And we can go deeper into the scenes...


Offline stephan

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 4651
  • Gender: Male
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #21 on: Jun 04, 2006, 03:52 PM »
Hello Thomas. How did your evening go ? A few words before the full report ?  ;)

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #22 on: Jun 05, 2006, 07:26 AM »
Hello Thomas. How did your evening go ? A few words before the full report ?  ;)
Hello Stephan.  I started the report in a speararte thread in the 'Experiences' subforum.  I'll be adding to it in the next couple of days.

It was very moving, and wonderful.  I also got to watch BBM on big screen again.

This topic is till open.  Everyone: you can post your thoughts here on the 2 to 3 scenes that you think should be discussed in a BBM discussion group.  :)


Offline *Froggy*

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 10977
  • Gender: Female
  • No longer using this account: frog123
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #23 on: Jun 05, 2006, 07:36 AM »
Fantastic idea tpe...
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!


If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Jennis

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2502
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #24 on: Jun 05, 2006, 03:23 PM »
Hello Thomas. How did your evening go ? A few words before the full report ?  ;)
Hello Stephan.  I started the report in a speararte thread in the 'Experiences' subforum.  I'll be adding to it in the next couple of days.

It was very moving, and wonderful.  I also got to watch BBM on big screen again.

This topic is till open.  Everyone: you can post your thoughts here on the 2 to 3 scenes that you think should be discussed in a BBM discussion group.  :)


Ooh i didn't know you created a separate thread.Going to look. ;D
J.x

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: What Scenes Would you Discuss
« Reply #25 on: Jun 05, 2006, 06:55 PM »
Hello Thomas. How did your evening go ? A few words before the full report ?  ;)
Hello Stephan.  I started the report in a speararte thread in the 'Experiences' subforum.  I'll be adding to it in the next couple of days.

It was very moving, and wonderful.  I also got to watch BBM on big screen again.

This topic is till open.  Everyone: you can post your thoughts here on the 2 to 3 scenes that you think should be discussed in a BBM discussion group.  :)


Ooh i didn't know you created a separate thread.Going to look. ;D
J.x

Jennis, I posted my first installment.  It is quite heavy writing about it.  But it is very vivid in my mind, even after so many days have passed...

Do check it out...