My question is: Was Ennis still emotionally and mentally stuck with what happen in the Summer of '63?
At the Final Confrontation Ennis blamed Jack for his lack of progress in life, "I got nothing, going nowhere,"" it's because of you Jack.", That's a heck of a charge to lay at someone feet, notwithstanding, someone you're in love with.
Then I thought back at the motel scene. Jack was talking about what happened to him in the last fours, but when ask about what was going with him, Ennis just said "I don't know". OK, four years, marriage, kids, different jobs, hmmmmm.
Please stay with me guys: I think these men after that summer, were emerging from two platforms. Jack is emerged from the "dozy embrace", and all he took from that. Ennis emerged from "I not queer", from there he was fighting a battle from three fronts. His sexuality, his fear of being found out, and he overwhelming need for Jack.
Ennis progress no further in his life because he was still in that summer of '63 and couldn't get out of it.
Does this make sense to any of you?