Author Topic: The Preacher gives me the creeps  (Read 31082 times)

greenfrog

  • Guest
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2006, 01:39 AM »
Esme - it's "prima nocte"

But it certainly wasn't the priest who had that right - in Braveheart it was the English lord who was in charge of the village who took the bride on the first night of her marriage :X

Did anyone get the husband? I want that part.    :8   Hey! I am 60. I am suppose to be a dirty old man.   :8

If the preacher gets Alma, can I have Ennis?  I'd be  happy to share with you Patriot1!!

I was sorry to read you guys thought the preacher was creepy...I thought he was one of those well intentioned people who think they are funny (and sadly are not) and always making lame jokes.

I don't find him as creepy now.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2006, 07:33 PM by greenfrog »

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2006, 07:37 AM »
 *o) - there are some very selfish people on this site.

Offline Patriot1

  • BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2527
  • Gender: Male
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #32 on: Sep 18, 2006, 01:22 PM »
*o) - there are some very selfish people on this site.



 *o)   *Patriot1 looks down at his feet, scuffs his shoe in the dirt.* Guilty as charged your honor.    ;)


Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline Umi_Slash

  • Living Dead Doll
  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
  • Gender: Female
  • Your heaven's a lie...
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #33 on: Sep 18, 2006, 06:10 PM »
The preacher is not creepy... He's just not very good at jokes... That's all lol
Jack Twist:

                Paren el mundo que me quiero bajar @.@

El diablo esta en los detalles

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #34 on: Sep 18, 2006, 06:50 PM »
"Droit de seigneur" it was called by my Norman French ancestors - if this guy wanted that with Alma, he's entirely welcome.

LOL!  :8

He ooks like the sort who'd molest the sheep up on Brokeback if he got half a chance.

LOL!!! :8 :8

That is SO funny! I also agree that Ennis looks quite uncomfortable after the preacher says it. Also, isn't every single moment in this divine movie purposeful for Ang Lee's grand design?

   So that preacher gets my creep vote.

Shelley


Me, too.  Creepy is definitely the word I would use.  I thought it an inappropriate thing to say, and only a creepy icky man would say it, even if he knew them and their families all their lives.  (And then you could start thinking about how rampant child sexual abuse was during those days and nobody talked about it, certainly not the victims; the minister could have been a child molester.  Unless he did indeed satisfy himself with sheep.)

About that scene, though, I love the little false move Ennis makes -- when he thinks he's supposed to turn and kiss Alma, but is a second early, and turns back to face the minister.  It's just cute.

kathy

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #35 on: Sep 20, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Yes, could be "Omigod, what have I gotten into?" or "Omigod, I've got to kiss her in front of these people." Either way it's pure Ennis.

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #36 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:19 PM »
Yes, could be "Omigod, what have I gotten into?" or "Omigod, I've got to kiss her in front of these people." Either way it's pure Ennis.

Also, didn't we talk about elsewhere, maybe in Double Meanings, about that lline of the preacher's being put in to point up Ennis's feelings that he might be found out, that his masculinity might be in question?  Ennis's response to "If you don't..."  could be "What do you mean, if I don't?  Of course I'm going to kiss my wife.  What, you think I'm queer or something, huh?"

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #37 on: Sep 20, 2006, 04:09 PM »
Yes, maybe. Ennis's expression, before and after the preacher's weird remark, isn't happy or excited - more worried or concerned or even uncertain? Maybe the guy thinks Ennis could do with a prompt.

Offline Umi_Slash

  • Living Dead Doll
  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
  • Gender: Female
  • Your heaven's a lie...
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #38 on: Sep 20, 2006, 10:49 PM »
Or maybe the poor, innocent preacher was just doing his job?? O.O
Jack Twist:

                Paren el mundo que me quiero bajar @.@

El diablo esta en los detalles

greenfrog

  • Guest
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #39 on: Sep 20, 2006, 11:47 PM »
Or maybe the poor, innocent preacher was just doing his job?? O.O

Probably  :8

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #40 on: Sep 21, 2006, 06:59 AM »
Yes, could be "Omigod, what have I gotten into?" or "Omigod, I've got to kiss her in front of these people." Either way it's pure Ennis.

Also, didn't we talk about elsewhere, maybe in Double Meanings, about that lline of the preacher's being put in to point up Ennis's feelings that he might be found out, that his masculinity might be in question?  Ennis's response to "If you don't..."  could be "What do you mean, if I don't?  Of course I'm going to kiss my wife.  What, you think I'm queer or something, huh?"

kathy

:)  I must admit that when in the context of this thread, that double meaning gives an added dimension to the remark...

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2006, 06:45 AM by tpe »

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #41 on: Sep 21, 2006, 11:30 PM »
Ennis is never really at ease with other people, even when he's getting married. He only ever looks happy when he's with Jack. And thee's a nice contrast between his needing to be told to kiss Alma and the way he rushes into Jack's arms in the reunion scene - shows exactly the difference in his feeling for the two.

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #42 on: Sep 22, 2006, 12:27 AM »
Ennis is never really at ease with other people, even when he's getting married. He only ever looks happy when he's with Jack. And thee's a nice contrast between his needing to be told to kiss Alma and the way he rushes into Jack's arms in the reunion scene - shows exactly the difference in his feeling for the two.

Oh -- that's a nice double-meaning type interpretation.  He has to be told to kiss Alma...but nothing in the world is gonna stop him from kissing Jack into next week, right out in the open yet.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #43 on: Sep 22, 2006, 06:48 AM »
Ennis is never really at ease with other people, even when he's getting married. He only ever looks happy when he's with Jack. And thee's a nice contrast between his needing to be told to kiss Alma and the way he rushes into Jack's arms in the reunion scene - shows exactly the difference in his feeling for the two.

Yes, that is quite a contrast, no?  As if he had to be prodded to give her a kiss.  What a sharp contrast!

And compare both kisses.  Of course, that was a wedding cermony, where one is a bit more restrained in exhibiting affection.  Still...


Offline Jennis

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2502
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #44 on: Sep 23, 2006, 02:47 PM »
   Am I the only one who feels that the preacher who marries Ennis and Alma is creepy?

   When he says "And if you don't I will." I get the chills.  Isn't that a weird thing for him to say? It's so not funny and so odd that he would say that at the wedding ceremony that I can hardly look at him.

  Now I'll tell you what I really feel...! ;)

Shelley
I didn't find it creepy.Just looked upon it as injecting a bit of humour into the ceremony.He could obviously sense Ennis' hesitancy.That's what we were supposed to see.Same as when he mutters the lines "Lead us not into temptation" It's written all over Ennis' face.He's a bag of nerves.

J.x

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #45 on: Sep 23, 2006, 04:59 PM »
   Am I the only one who feels that the preacher who marries Ennis and Alma is creepy?

   When he says "And if you don't I will." I get the chills.  Isn't that a weird thing for him to say? It's so not funny and so odd that he would say that at the wedding ceremony that I can hardly look at him.

  Now I'll tell you what I really feel...! ;)

Shelley
I didn't find it creepy.Just looked upon it as injecting a bit of humour into the ceremony.He could obviously sense Ennis' hesitancy.That's what we were supposed to see.Same as when he mutters the lines "Lead us not into temptation" It's written all over Ennis' face.He's a bag of nerves.

J.x

It is posssible that he was trying to poke Ennis a bit, as he did seem quite hesitant.  I had thought that he was just oncomfortable in such social situations, but perhaps he was reacting the tail end of the Pater Noster.


Offline Patriot1

  • BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2527
  • Gender: Male
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #46 on: Sep 23, 2006, 06:21 PM »
I didn't find it creepy.Just looked upon it as injecting a bit of humour into the ceremony.He could obviously sense Ennis' hesitancy.That's what we were supposed to see.Same as when he mutters the lines "Lead us not into temptation" It's written all over Ennis' face.He's a bag of nerves.

J.x

I didn't see any hesitancy on Ennis' part. As soon as the preacher said, "I pronounce you man and wife." Ennis immediately started to turn to kiss Alma and then stopped because the preacher started to talk again, to tell his not funny joke.


Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline Umi_Slash

  • Living Dead Doll
  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
  • Gender: Female
  • Your heaven's a lie...
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #47 on: Sep 23, 2006, 06:22 PM »
Or maybe the poor, innocent preacher was just doing his job?? O.O

Probably  :8

Yes! Most likely he was just doing his job and you all started thinking bad things about the poor preacher...
Jack Twist:

                Paren el mundo que me quiero bajar @.@

El diablo esta en los detalles

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #48 on: Sep 24, 2006, 03:49 PM »
I didn't see any hesitancy on Ennis' part. As soon as the preacher said, "I pronounce you man and wife." Ennis immediately started to turn to kiss Alma and then stopped because the preacher started to talk again, to tell his not funny joke.

This is quite probable.  I will have to check this scene to be sure.


Offline Umi_Slash

  • Living Dead Doll
  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
  • Gender: Female
  • Your heaven's a lie...
Re: The Preacher gives me the creeps
« Reply #49 on: Sep 25, 2006, 06:05 PM »
I didn't see any hesitancy on Ennis' part. As soon as the preacher said, "I pronounce you man and wife." Ennis immediately started to turn to kiss Alma and then stopped because the preacher started to talk again, to tell his not funny joke.

This is quite probable.  I will have to check this scene to be sure.



Yes, you are right Patriot, I have seen that one again and I have seen no hesitancy in Ennis... The preacher stops him to say his not too funny but very weird joke o.o
Jack Twist:

                Paren el mundo que me quiero bajar @.@

El diablo esta en los detalles