Author Topic: 8 Oscars Nominations for BBM - Reaction & Thought  (Read 86109 times)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: 8 Oscars Nominations for BBM - Reaction & Thought
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Although "official" recognition would be nice, BBM has already won every major Kindred Award  ;)  The movie will always remain dear to my heart and at least for me, that's all that really matters.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline matt78

• Alma Jr.
  • Formerly garc1978
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:29 AM »
Aaaah - c'est super!
 ;D

Offline stationbbm

• Lureen
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:43 AM »
Although "official" recognition would be nice, BBM has already won every major Kindred Award  ;)  The movie will always remain dear to my heart and at least for me, that's all that really matters.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Second that motion...

stationbbm

Offline rane99

• Lureen
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:43 AM »
8 Oscar Nominations!!!  Wow. Win or lose, this is a great day.  The multiple nominations alone make this film revolutionary.  First major gay romance themed film and well made at that!  We are all already all winners!  I was really surprised by Jake in the supporting actor category... can we read something into this?  He had as much screen time as Heath.. hmmmm.  My dream speech when Heath wins is for him to thank Jake for being gentle... and when Jack wins it would be hilarious for him to say when he left the movie set he was missing some clothing items....tee hee.   
So's long as the bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:46 AM »
Yes, it's great news...proves acceptance, although I think we will probably only win one or two. (But I'm trying to be positive here!)

I thought that the cast of BBM was supposed to be on the Today Show today?  Did I miss it?  I only switched to E! to watch the nominations...

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:52 AM »
I am just gonna take the next month or so to celebrate eight nominations and worry about the wins on March 5. It is a great and joyful day.

The first gay-themed file ever to be nominated and receive the most nominations. We are a group of proud supporters.

I know our support doesn't need to be validated by the awards but with these nominations, my support for BBM is even stronger than ever.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:02 AM »
I am watching a local news show and someone just said that the Oscars have not been voted for yet.  When we were discussing the SAG Awards (I can't find that thread I think it's been deleted) someone said that the Oscar winners have already been voted for and determined prior to the announcement of the nominations. Does anyone know who's right?

Offline Kindred

• Lureen
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:03 AM »
The Oscars have not yet been voted on, at least not in an official sense.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:10 AM »
I am watching a local news show and someone just said that the Oscars have not been voted for yet.  When we were discussing the SAG Awards (I can't find that thread I think it's been deleted) someone said that the Oscar winners have already been voted for and determined prior to the announcement of the nominations. Does anyone know who's right?

Hello CoraJack, all the SAG discussions are still there. You may have to dig a little.

Winners have not yet been voted.

One thought on the nominations - I wish Anne was nominated too.

Anne..if you are reading this, you got my vote
:)
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: Oscars Nominations Announcement - Reaction & Thought
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:10 AM »
Too bad that there's no BBM nomination for original song.  But why complain? ;)

Someone posted there is a rule at the Oscars.  The song must heard in full during the movie...  Too bad!
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:11 AM »
Someone posted there is a rule at the Oscars.  The song must heard in full during the movie...  Too bad!

Yes and we know it was not going to be nominated.

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:14 AM »
I am so happy that Heath, Jake and Michelle were nominated!

What a buzz for these young and talented actors!

I'm wondering how Heath and Michelle are feeling about this today?

Question, if Heath and Michelle ever win, would it be the first time at the Oscars, same year, same movie, that "husband" and "wife" win for acting awards?
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:19 AM »
I am so happy that Heath, Jake and Michelle were nominated!

What a buzz for these young and talented actors!

I'm wondering how Heath and Michelle are feeling about this today?

Question, if Heath and Michelle ever win, would it be the first time at the Oscars, same year, same movie, that "husband" and "wife" win for acting awards?

Could be and I hope it happens. I would love to be in Heath and Michelle's house this morning and I could imagine that Heath is still not *sitting still*  ;D

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:24 AM »
In case someone has not noticed, 'Walk The Line' was shut out of best picture.

Thanks for pointing it out. I am surprised (I have not seen the movie though) that Walk The Line is not in the running for Best Picture. BBM will be the most successful movie come awards night.  Not only that, it has the most noms and is the front-runner for Best Pic and Best Director.

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - 8
GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK - 6
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - 6
CRASH - 6
CAPOTE - 5
MUNICH - 5  Huh
WALK THE LINE - 5
THE CONSTANT GARDNER - 4
KING KONG - 4
THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA - 3
CINDERELLA MAN - 3
TRANSAMERICA - 2
SYRIANA - 2

BBM is a strong film to beat - none of the near-competitors picked their nominations up from such heavy-duty categories as BBM. Cinematography is really important (technical tho it is) alongside Director, and so is score (song is an Oscar, but not the same weight overall).

If BBM was to get more than 8, it would have needed nomination in: art direction [nominees were: Harry Potter, King Kong, Memoirs of a Geisha, Pride & Prejudice and Good Night & Good Luck]; costume design [nominees were: Memoirs of a Geisha; Charlie & the Choc Factory; Mrs Henderson; Pride & Prejudice; Walk the Line); Makeup [nominees were: Narnia; Cinderella Man; Star Wars III]; Sound Editing [nominees were: King Kong; Geisha; War of the Worlds]; Sound Mixing [King Kong; Geisha; War of the Worlds; Narnia; Walk the Line]... and Editing [nominees were: Crash; Cinderella Man; Munich; Walk the Line; Constant Gardener].

In all honesty, would be really expect more than one more of those... It was really musical films and really arty/period films that got the lion's share - mainly Walk the Line and Geisha.

For BBM, three best actors + Best Film + Best Director + Screenplay + Cinematography + Music - that is a very strong hand - rather those than any others, thank you.

I am so proud of them all too. And we should recognise that they have been acknowledged in all the places that matter. This is incredible, if you think what things looked like just six months ago or even before you came to this forum.

Great day and I am dancing. I'd say forget about SAG awards and I so want to hear Jake say "Jack Nasty loves you"  :D

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:28 AM »
Nope ethan.....

people here r (is it dumb).........& glued to PC!!!!...... It is only me (I think ) have the oscarwatch & ennisjack websites opened throughout!!!!

dumbs........ many dont even know that today is a nomination day....... sucks.

mmmmmm.. i can do nothing. I'am afraid to talk to them though - esp of this movie. Afraid i will be washed off

That is too bad. But you've got us.  ;)

Offline Kindred

• Lureen
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:41 AM »
Something else to put the nominations in perspective, BBM garnered the most nominations both overall ( 8 ) and in the major categories (6).

In comparison:

"Crash" garnered 6 overall, but only 4 in the major categories.
"Good Night, and Good Luck" garnered 6 overall, but also only 4 in the major categories.
"Capote" garnered 5 overall, however all 5 are in the major categories.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2006, 10:56 AM by Kindred »

Offline ginachiu

• Cassie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:55 AM »
The time here in Taiwan is about 23:48 P.M., two hours ago, when the nominations
were released by our journalists reported from U.S.A., they felt very excited when reporting
the news ! Of course, I also screamed when I saw Director Ang Lee, best picture,
Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Leager appeared on the  catalogue, following by the
rest of other nominations.  It is really a great day for all of us here  !

so happy  :D :D

Offline streetskater

• Alma Jr.
My Predictions
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2006, 11:01 AM »
I'm glad Jake got a nod.  Gyllenhaal will have to content himself with the nomination though  'cause he has no chance to win--and I still think his performance here somewhat underrated.

Heath should win  Best Actor but I suspect Hoffman will get it for his rather  "obvious" Truman Capote Schick.  I've already weighed in on the fact that Robert  Morse did the ONLY performance of Capote--first on Broadway and then the American Playhouse adaptation of the play--Tru

Michelle Williams-Forgetaboutit!  No raggin' biatch-chick is getting any acting Oscar nods for this "Gay Cowboy" flick.

Ang Lee Will Win best Director
Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana will win best Adapted Screenplay
Rodrigo Priet Will Win best Cinematography
Brokeback will probably win Best Picture
Gustavo Santaolalla might win best score

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2006, 11:06 AM »
The time here in Taiwan is about 23:48 P.M., two hours ago, when the nominations
were released by our journalists reported from U.S.A., they felt very excited when reporting
the news ! Of course, I also screamed when I saw Director Ang Lee, best picture,
Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Leager appeared on the  catalogue, following by the
rest of other nominations.  It is really a great day for all of us here  !

so happy  :D :D

Taiwan must be so proud of Ang Lee.   I trust that in all of China, it will be the same.

JerBear418720

« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2006, 11:24 AM »
The Oscar Race - The One to Beat

Here's what I think is BBM's stiffest competition by category (I bolded my predicted BBM winners):

Best Picture:  Crash, tho solidly 2nd - I think BBM will win

Best Director:  No Contest - Ang all the way!

Best Adapted Screenplay:  No Contest - BBM

Best Actor:  Hoffman - it'll be hard to stop that tidal wave - it seems to be his year

Best Supporting Actor:  Clooney - Syriana was a great movie - with all his noms, they will likely wanna give him something

Best Supporting Actress - Weisz, tho I don't personally agree - saw the movie - EH!

Best Cinematography - Memoirs of a Geisha, but I think BBM will edge it out

Best Score - Again, Memoirs

With acting, the Academy clearly takes into account past performances, and our boys and girls are all 1st time nominees.  Thinking of 1999 when Judi Dench got Supporting Actress for Shakespeare in Love for a 10-minute role.  Plus, this is NOT an average year - very strong acting competitors for 2005.  Were it not for these trends and the politics of the Academy, I'd have added Heath to my list of predicted winners, but I think Hoffman is going to get Best Actor.

Sidenote:  I hope March of the Penguins gets Documentary Feature - an amazing movie! 

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2006, 11:46 AM »
OMG! OMG! YAY! YAY!

I'm jumping for joy! 8 nominations! Thats more than the Golden Globes!!!

Hopefully they win all 8!! I pray..! Oh PleasE!! haha!!

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actor

*I THINK THOSE ARE MUST WINS* -- if health, ang, and the entire film doesn't win.. i'll call my attorney!!! HAHAHA!!! LOL!
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2006, 11:47 AM »
The Oscar Race - The One to Beat

Here's what I think is BBM's stiffest competition by category (I bolded my predicted BBM winners):

Best Picture:  Crash, tho solidly 2nd - I think BBM will win

Best Director:  No Contest - Ang all the way!

Best Adapted Screenplay:  No Contest - BBM

Best Actor:  Hoffman - it'll be hard to stop that tidal wave - it seems to be his year

Best Supporting Actor:  Clooney - Syriana was a great movie - with all his noms, they will likely wanna give him something

Best Supporting Actress - Weisz, tho I don't personally agree - saw the movie - EH!

Best Cinematography - Memoirs of a Geisha, but I think BBM will edge it out

Best Score - Again, Memoirs

With acting, the Academy clearly takes into account past performances, and our boys and girls are all 1st time nominees.  Thinking of 1999 when Judi Dench got Supporting Actress for Shakespeare in Love for a 10-minute role.  Plus, this is NOT an average year - very strong acting competitors for 2005.  Were it not for these trends and the politics of the Academy, I'd have added Heath to my list of predicted winners, but I think Hoffman is going to get Best Actor.

Sidenote:  I hope March of the Penguins gets Documentary Feature - an amazing movie! 

Yes, in Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay, BBM has the edge.  To me, this is the absolute minimum (3 wins).  If 'Crash' wins best picture, I will throw a fit.  It is nothing compared to BBM, IMO. 

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #52 on: Jan 31, 2006, 11:54 AM »
I swear .... if BBM doesn't win the Best Picture. Oscar is a done deal for me and will never watch it again in the rest of my life.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2006, 11:56 AM »
I swear .... if BBM doesn't win the Best Picture. Oscar is a done deal for me and will never watch it again in the rest of my life.

It would feel like a travesty I know, and I am not an awards show gal.  It will, I mean these people are not completely crazy! 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2006, 11:57 AM »
The other thing is I don't think we should write off the actor awards either.  I mean who knows?
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2006, 11:57 AM »
The complete list of nominees for the 78th Annual Academy Awards.

BEST PICTURE

"Brokeback Mountain"
"Capote"
"Crash"
"Good Night, and Good Luck"
"Munich"

DIRECTOR

Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain"
Bennett Miller, "Capote"
Paul Haggis, "Crash"
George Clooney, "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Steven Spielberg, "Munich"

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"
Terrence Howard, "Hustle & Flow"
Heath Ledger, "Brokeback Mountain"
Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"
David Strathairn, "Good Night, and Good Luck"

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Judi Dench, "Mrs. Henderson Presents"
Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica"
Keira Knightley, "Pride & Prejudice"
Charlize Theron, "North Country"
Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line"

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

George Clooney, "Syriana"
Matt Dillon, "Crash"
Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man"
Jake Gyllenhaal, "Brokeback Mountain"
William Hurt, "A History of Violence"

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Amy Adams, "Junebug"
Catherine Keener, "Capote"
Frances McDormand, "North Country"
Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener"
Michelle Williams, "Brokeback Mountain"

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco, "Crash"
George Clooney and Grant Heslov, "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Woody Allen, "Match Point"
Noah Baumbach, "The Squid and the Whale"
Stephen Gaghan, "Syriana"

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, "Brokeback Mountain"
Dan Futterman, "Capote"
Jeffrey Caine, "The Constant Gardener"
Josh Olsen, "A History of Violence"
Tony Kushner and Eric Roth, "Munich"

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

"Don't Tell" (Italy)
"Joyeux Noël" (France)
"Paradise Now" (Palestine)
"Sophie Scholl" (Germany)
"Tsotsi" (South Africa)

ANIMATED FEATURE

"Howl's Moving Castle"
"Tim Burton's Corpse Bride"
"Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit"

ORIGINAL SCORE

Gustavo Santaolalla, "Brokeback Mountain"
Alberto Iglesias, "The Constant Gardener"
John Williams, "Memoirs of a Geisha"
John Williams, "Munich"
Dario Marianelli, "Pride & Prejudice"

ORIGINAL SONG

"In the Deep" from "Crash"
"It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from "Hustle & Flow"
"Travelin' Thru" from "Transamerica"

ART DIRECTION

Jim Bissell and Jan Pascale, "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Stuart Craig and Stephenie McMillan, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"
Grant Major, Dan Hennah and Simon Bright, "King Kong"
John Myhre and Gretchen Rau, "Memoirs of a Geisha"
Sarah Greenwood and Katie Spencer, "Pride & Prejudice"

CINEMATOGRAPHY

Wally Pfister, "Batman Begins"
Rodrigo Prieto, "Brokeback Mountain"
Robert Elswit, "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Dion Beebe, "Memoirs of a Geisha"
Emmanuel Lubezki, "The New World"

COSTUME DESIGN

Gabriella Pescucci, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
Colleen Atwood, "Memoirs of a Geisha"
Sandy Powell, "Mrs. Henderson Presents"
Jacqueline Durran, "Pride & Prejudice"
Arianne Phillips, "Walk the Line"

MAKEUP

Howard Berger and Tami Lane, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"
David Leroy and Lance Anderson, "Cinderella Man"
Dave Elsey and Annette Miles, "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith"

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

"Darwin's Nightmare"
"Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room"
"March of the Penguins"
"Murderball"
"Street Fight"

SOUND MIXING

Terry Porter, Dean A. Zupancic and Tony Johnson, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"
Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael Hedges and Hammond Peek, "King Kong"
Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell, Rick Kline and John Pritchett, "Memoirs of a Geisha"
Paul Massey, D. M. Hemphill and Peter F. Kurland, "Walk the Line"
Andy Nelson, Anne Behlmer and Ronald Judkins, "War of the Worlds"

SOUND EDITING

Mike Hopkins and Ethan Van der Ryn, "King Kong"
Wylie Stateman, "Memoirs of a Geisha"
Richard King, "War of the Worlds"

VISUAL EFFECTS

Dean Wright, Bill Westenhofer, Jim Berney and Scott Farrar, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"
Joe Letteri, Brian Van't Hul, Christian Rivers and Richard Taylor, "King Kong"
Dennis Muren, Pablo Helman, Randy Dutra and Daniel Sudick, "War of the Worlds"

FILM EDITING

Mike Hill and Dan Hanley, "Cinderella Man"
Claire Simpson, "The Constant Gardener"
Hughes Winborne, "Crash"
Michael Kahn, "Munich"
Michael McCusker, "Walk the Line"

SHORT FILM – ANIMATED

"Badgered"
"The Moon and the Son: An Imagined Conversation"
"The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello"
"9"
"One Man Band"

SHORT FILM – LIVE ACTION

"Ausreisser (The Runaway)"
"Cashback"
"The Last Farm"
"Our Time Is Up"
"Six Shooter"

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT

"The Death of Kevin Carter: Casualty of the Bang Bang Club"
"God Sleeps in Rwanda"
"The Mushroom Club"
"A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin"

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Reaction from BBM to the nominations
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2006, 01:28 PM »
Reaction from BBM to nominations for the 78th Academy Awards:

"We didn't make the film for any kind of political movement. We never expected to change people's minds. But if it does affect people's hearts, if perceptions can get altered, that's a good thing." Heath Ledger, nominated for best actor for the gay romance "Brokeback Mountain."

___

"I'll really enjoy it because it will never happen again." Michelle Williams, on being nominated for best supporting actress alongside fiancee Ledger.

___

"... I'm not certain that there's ever been a film that has a gay romance that's been embraced this way. But on the other hand the film is about a lot more than that. I've said this before, but it's sort of like saying 'Lonesome Dove' is just a story about a cattle drive." Diana Ossana, nominated with Larry McMurtry for adapted screenplay for "Brokeback Mountain."

___

"... I think I'm amazed how people everywhere have had the sensitivity to want to get into the complexity of the issue, the probability of love, the illusion of love, all those things." Ang Lee, best director nominee for "Brokeback Mountain."

http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/news/associatedpress/20060131/590.html;_ylt=AtWffijsAd1cwn2VnUrEq0F.VLcF

Yahoo has the Oscar new coverage. Almost of the headlines is 'Brokeback Mountain"

Tears with joy.  :D

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2006, 01:30 PM by ethan »

aimi15

« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2006, 01:45 PM »

This has been a lovely day for all of us here. There cannot be a better news. I'am so happy - going to treat myself with a chocolate. Still I'am bit sad since none of my colleagues next to me seems talking about this lovely movie. Anyway.....they are missing a masterpiece here.

I luv'ed it. Thats what matters to me.

LUV U BBM. 
:D i had to push and push people to see this film subject matter puts so many people off, thank god for this forum nice to read comments that are so positive from other bbm obsessives and big up the film, fingers crossed for 8 (especially Jake) cant wait for march!

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #58 on: Jan 31, 2006, 01:53 PM »
I already made a vacation request for Monday March 6th... I could figure I will need that to recover, no matter the results.   :P
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline jasonx

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #59 on: Jan 31, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Wow great! 8 nominations  :D

I doubt they win many Oscars but such an amount of nominations is great already :)

My prediction:

Best Picture
I really really hope so

Best Director
It has to be Ang, no doubt about that

Best Adapted Screenplay
Don't know

Best Actor
To bad for Heath but I don't think so  :'( Probably that "Capote" guy

Best Supporting Actor
Sad for jake but I fear the worst: no award  :(

Best Supporting Actress