Author Topic: News Coverage: April 2007  (Read 4962 times)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
News Coverage: April 2007
« on: Apr 05, 2007, 07:26 AM »
Apparently, BBM was # 78 is Empire Magazine's Top 100 Films of All Time.

Considering that ther top films were Star Wars and other "popular" favorites, I consider this largely positive.  Except we know which film is really # 1! ;)

I found the reference here:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21507836-2902,00.html

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
Re: News Coverage: April 2007
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2007, 09:25 PM »
This isn't new news, but it's fun.  I quite enjoy Kathy Griffin, and watched a show of her last night.  She always talks about "my gays" or "the gays" in a delightful way.  I think so anyway.  :) 

This show was from last year.  She said that Tom Cruise had gotten just too crazy and the gays didn't want him anymore.  The gays want Gyllenhaal now, she said.  Then she added Ledger, too (and "Bareback Mountain") but she repeated that the gays want Gyllenhaal now a couple times.  Fun.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2007, 10:13 PM »
Love this, the four "divisions" of hot guys.  Of course Jake should have won.  I was thinking about that, and probably there are more people (people who read "US") who are familiar with a ubiquitous music guy than with a select movie guy?  Whatever.  Don't need to rationalize.  We know who is Mr. Best Most Wonderful.

They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2007, 11:11 PM »
This isn't exactly news, but in the book review section of one of the papers last week they were talking about a new novella by Ian McEwan and got on to the best short stories - listing aiuthors like Chekhov and D H Lawrence among others, and you can guess which ss came up as well - BBM according to this critic is already a classic.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2007, 09:02 PM »
That is excellent, WW.  And did we not hear last year that some colleges classes were studying the story and maybe even the movie?  It certainly deserves it, as a literary work and as social commentary.

kathy

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2007, 09:24 AM »
Thanks kathy and WW.

BBM the story and the movie are classics in their own respective genres.  It is nice to see affirmations of what we knew all along.  :)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Pendant or no pendant?

From: http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2007/04/04/news/entertainment/ent0330-02.txt

------------------------------------

'Snow Ashes' no companion to 'Brokeback'
Alyson Hagy says her forthcoming story of a friendship between two Wyoming sheep ranchers has no correlation to Annie Proulx's story

By Karen Cotton

feat2@wyomingnews.com

Alyson Hagy often gets asked if her forthcoming book, "Snow Ashes," is a companion to Annie Proulx's short story, "Brokeback Mountain."

"I started writing this in 1999, and Annie published 'Brokeback' in 1997 in the New Yorker, so this definitely is not a companion," Hagy said.

The question seems relevant as Hagy's book features two male Wyoming sheep ranchers and a love story, but she stresses that her characters aren't gay.

"Snow Ashes" delves into the emotional scars that the Korean War leaves behind and the strained friendship of Fremont Adams and C.D. Hobbs in Baggs, Wyo.

Hobbs falls in love with Adams' manipulative younger sister. Hagy said it's not the best of relationships.

The core of her book is about the responsibilities of friendship over many decades and how that changes.

"I think that's interesting when people remain friends under duress, which requires a real emotional commitment," she said. "Women talk about this stuff all of the time, but we don't talk about how men have the same complicated relationships."

The book follows the men's lives from the time that they're 10 to their mid-60s. It's told in four parts and the setting alternates back and forth between the ranch and Korea.

"I've been interested in writing about sheep ranching because it's essential to the Central part of the state," Hagy said. "It's not the same as the cattle industry, so there won't be any cowboys in the book."

Hagy grew up on a farm in Virginia but has lived in Wyoming for 11 years. She teaches creative writing for the master's of fine arts creative writing program at the University of Wyoming. She also is a Wyoming Arts Council creative writing fellowship recipient.

"Wyoming is appealing to me," Hagy said. "The landscape is extraordinary and ripe with all kinds of stories."

"Snow Ashes" was inspired by a story that Hagy heard at a dinner party.

"It was about an old rancher who had bad things happen to him in his past," she said. "He had created a diorama or miniature stage set to explain to people what had happened to him.

"It was a powerful image," she added.

She knew if she wrote about the story it would be equally as powerful.

Hagy's characters began developing in her mind. She wondered if this man had a friend. If so they probably would have been through the same trauma together, most likely a war.

"If they were older, they would have fought in Korea and not in Vietnam," she said.

Her book is set in 1995 because she wanted to write about that part of the state before it changed from the growing influence of coal-bed methane.

Hagy said the story gave her a chance to explore what it was like to hang onto a way of life - even after one of the main characters failed at ranching.

"Raising sheep is a difficult thing, and the last two decades were difficult," Hagy said.

To include accurate information in her novel about the Korean War and sheep ranching, Hagy did research at UW's American Heritage Center and Coe Library.

She found sheep ranching and Korean War memoirs and other pertinent materials.

Her own father had a best friend who served in the U.S. Marines in the Korean War. She said that had something to do with her interest in the war.

She said in a way her book is a tough sell because it is fiction and she's a woman writing about ranching and military experiences that she's never lived through.

"But you get fictional characters in your head and you try to tell the best story that you can," Hagy said.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2007, 03:05 PM »
In the 1/22/07 New Yorker, a most interesting article about the groups of marketers and the like who determine the upcoming color palettes of commercial design and consumer goods based on their readings of cultural trends.  One of the colors for 2008 is Brokeback Bronze.  I wish I'd been a fly on the wall during all their confabs leading up to choosing and naming this color.  The article didn't describe BB Bronze, but as an example about another color, it was described thus:  "The spirituality of this color spans many cultures and offers comfort for questing minds and hearts in our erratic world."  I'd love to know what they say Brokeback Bronze says about our cultural leanings.

kathy

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2007, 03:28 PM »
In the 1/22/07 New Yorker, a most interesting article about the groups of marketers and the like who determine the upcoming color palettes of commercial design and consumer goods based on their readings of cultural trends.  One of the colors for 2008 is Brokeback Bronze.  I wish I'd been a fly on the wall during all their confabs leading up to choosing and naming this color.  The article didn't describe BB Bronze, but as an example about another color, it was described thus:  "The spirituality of this color spans many cultures and offers comfort for questing minds and hearts in our erratic world."  I'd love to know what they say Brokeback Bronze says about our cultural leanings.

kathy

kathy, that is fanscinating.  And I LOVE the description.  "Spirituality" somehow rings true.

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2007, 01:11 PM »
This woman who wrote this book teaches creative writing and thinks there are cowboys in BBM? NO COMMENT.