At the end of that summer, if Jack would have let Ennis know he was with him from then on, no questions ask, would Ennis like SNIT would given in to him, and got in to that truck?
MG: Good question. I've wondered this a lot too. But when I go back to the breaking up camp scene, and Jack's unfortunate clumsy response to Ennis's
"He's cheatin' us out of a whole months pay" when he really meant
"a whole months sex and love". Jack didn't get it, and didn't show much pain at having to split up. I think this triggered in Ennis the whole abandonment thing again from his childhood and was
one of the emotions that lead to his punching Jack. I don't think Ennis had recovered by the time they were back in Signal, he was still feeling emotional pain, inner confusion, and abandonment. By the time Jack picks up on this there isn't enough time to heal the wounds even though he tries
(oh man, Jakes eyes here who could resist that?). If Jack had been more experienced in this maybe he coulda' come up with a quick plan to keep from splitting up at this point, but I don't think he had the skills yet. He's only 19 and I'm not sure either of 'em understood how do deal with a male-male relationship in Wyomin' at that point. Just MHO.
tpe's right. In the coming months (and years) Ennis realizes what this all meant but as he says in the SS
"Took me about a year to figure out it was that I shouldn't a let you out a my sights. Too late then by a long, long while." To me this one of the saddest revelations in the story, he KNEW it, but by then couldn't do nuthin' about. Same things happens 16 years later in Jack's closet . . . . .
:\'(
jackster