Author Topic: "Reading Brokeback Mountain: Essays on the Story and Film"  (Read 23281 times)

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
I’ve just started reading the recently released “Reading Brokeback Mountain: Essays on the Story and the Film” and find it to be very enjoyable and enlightening. It’s a collection of 15 critical essays about BBM, both the SS and the movie, and in some cases comparing the two. I’ve only gotten through three of the essays, but they have provided some very interesting insights into the story, characters, and its historical precedents (going clear back to the Greek stories about shepherds and their “friendships”). Good reading with lots of careful analysis and thoughts about the story.
 O0 Recommended.
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
  • " You know I ain't queer!"
Re: "Reading Brokeback Mountain: Essays on the Story and Film"
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2007, 06:10 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can pick up a copy tomorrow when I'm in the ' burgh.  :t)
Jack: " Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar."

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2007, 12:53 PM »
Thank you Jackster!  If you want, you can elaborate on some of the essays.  We can start a discussion going as soon as we have more people who have read it!

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2007, 02:12 PM »
jackster,

Don't mean to jump the gun or rush you, but, as Reading Brokeback Mountain was  not available at the bookstore I visited, I am forced to order it online, and I hesitate to do that sight unseen, as literary criticism is not always gripping reading, and the price is substantial. So I would love to see some of your reactions to it when you have the time and inclination.

proulxfan

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2007, 03:08 PM »
dear proulxfan:

I was afraid it might not be available yet in stores. I got mine at Amazon, and you're right it is a little pricey - but hey, its Brokeback, so what am I gonna' do? Once your addicted you’ll pay any price to get your “fix” right? I've been trying to read an essay a night so as to not get them all blended together in my feeble head. I wish I was better at remembering the things that strike me as I'm reading them, but I don't take notes and it's kind of difficult to go back later because there as so many interesting issues raised.

The book is organized (i.e. the essays are presented) in a somewhat chronological manner, so that ones dealing with historical precedents and issues come first and others dealing with 20th or 21st century issues come last. I've only read the first four so far, so these are the only ones I can comment on. The first two were absolutely fascinating to me as history is something I find very engaging. A really in-depth discussion of various Greek, Roman, and later myths and stories going all the way up to Shakespeare with Romeo & Juliet and his other creations. The third essay was a little less interesting, but the fourth sparked my interest back again.

Some might find the text a little "academic" but not overly so. There are good footnotes and every time a passage is cited from either the SS or screenplay it's identified as such and the page number from the published text is included. It's NOT fluff. There is a lot of discussion of ancient Greek writers many of whom I don't recognize but if you're an English major or interested in Literature you'd probably know them, (I'm an architect, duh . . .) for instance I knew nothing of Theocritus, but his work is discussed as it relates to directly to BBM.

What I’ve found most fascinating is to learn other, “outsider” points of view and interpretations of the scenes and storyline. You know how to some degree people tend to congregate with their own type; so many of us here at ennisjack have generally the same interpretation of certain aspects of the SS or movie? Well here’s an entirely new, fresh and intelligent take on many scenes and aspects of the entire phenomena. These aren’t “reviews” or even criticisms, but truly enlightened analysis. I find myself thinking Wow! I never thought of it like that!

It will be interesting to see if my own interest level stays as high when I get to essays dealing with more contemporary issues and aspects, like gay rights, etc. I sometimes feel it is difficult to analyze recent history because we are “sitting too close to the screen” to see the entire picture.

Summary-
I’d say if you are at all interested in literature, writing, and movies; or the analysis of literature, writing and movies you will find this very intriguing. I’m just guessing but I’ll bet it will be used in countless college courses dealing with these subjects as well as the Brokeback Mountain phenomena itself due to its thoughtful approach and (as we all know) the endlessly fascinating subject of Ennis, Jack, Annie, Larry, Diana, and Ang.

jackster

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2007, 03:38 PM »
jackster,

Sold! Like Lashawn, I have no sales resistance!  :8

proulxfan

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2007, 03:17 PM »
I just ordered it ::)

English is not my first language but... wtf!  I enjoyed reading Close Range in the original English. Like Jackster said, hey, it's Brokeback.  It would be cool to discuss about it if more Brokies buy it. :)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Thank you Jackster! If you want, you can elaborate on some of the essays. We can start a discussion going as soon as we have more people who have read it!

I'll try this and see what happens. Here's a view . . . .

Essay Number Six
Ennis the radical QUEER (my title)

In this essay Hiram Perez proposes that while most mainstream liberal homos feel that Ennis is one that’s too “restricted” in his approach to life, too bound by his fear of being found out, and that Jack is the one more comfortable with himself and being homosexual – it is really Ennis who is the “queerer” of the two. Jack’s idea of the “sweet life” with Ennis is basically a gay version of the traditional family lifestyle. Two men living together in a more normalized version of what was started on Brokeback. A homestead with one partner out working (herder) and the other staying home doing the chores (camp tender).

Perez proposition is that this is not what Ennis wants at all; he wants a more radical lifestyle – a “queerer” one so to speak. One totally outside the norm and one more akin to the traditional “cowboy” lifestyle of roaming, no home, no permanent job, furtive friendships, occasional sex, and the outdoors. THIS then is the real “queer” and is seen as queer by most of society – not only in  the sexual sense but also in the sense of  being strange – queer. What Ennis really wanted was a MORE radical version of what was started on the mountain. Infrequent couplings with fiery emotional and sexual release, but not a constant companion. Ennis wasn’t able to make it work with Alma, didn’t want it to work with Cassie, and couldn’t get Jack to be satisfied with this type of life.

Isn’t this fascinating? Ennis as the REAL queer, Ennis as the one wanting a truly radical lifestyle totally outside the bounds of what’s considered normal by society. This is what the American cowboy has traditionally been, an outsider.

I’m really condensing his argument here and certainly missing some of his points, but as one of “team Ennis” I find this a really thought provoking view. Huh?

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2007, 10:02 AM »
jackster,

Hmmm....
"Mainstream liberal homo" huh; well at least now I have an identity! :8

Thanks for starting this off. My copy has been shipped but won't arrive til the middle of next week.

Gotta say I disgree heartily with this analysis, though maybe when I read the full essay I'll be more convinced.  :-\\

In the ss at least, Ennis tells Jack that the reason for his physical illness after they part ways at the end of their Brokeback summer was because he shouldn't have let Jack out of his sight, ie let him leave. And in their conversation in the motel he goes on to add: " I goddamn hate it that you're goin a drive away in the mornin an I'm goin back to work. But if you can't fix it, you got a stand it." So their enforced separation is pain he feels forced to bear, not a lifestyle choice-I use those words advisedly.

And Annie describes Ennis as "that achingly needy ranch kid", and that essence is what anchors the whole tale and makes it so wrenching. He's hardly living out his dream here....

Nah...

Nice try though! O0
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2007, 08:35 AM by proulxfan »

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2007, 10:18 AM »
Nah...
Nice try though! O0

So as one M.L.H. to another - you'd say this was just some "dumbass missin'?"

Well, it was worth a shot. ;)

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2007, 10:59 AM »
Yeah, kinda.  ;D

But my limited experience in the world of literary criticism tells me that you're liable to read almost anything, no matter how far-fetched!

But keep up the good work.

Much obliged!

But...on further reflection, there are some interesting points to ponder here.

In many ways, Ennis doesn't really seem cut out for a life of domestic bliss, and it might not have worked out with Jack much better than it had with Alma. Witness his real love of the outdoors and preference for the company of animals. In that sense he does represent a sort of throwback to the "real cowboys".

Well, gotta run. My partner is making his hurry-up noises.

Later.
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2007, 11:14 AM by proulxfan »

Offline MississaugaRed

• Jack + Ennis
  • Gone too soon, but never forgotten.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2007, 07:47 AM »
Well, thanks so much everyone for starting this thread.  I am an easy sell apparently, 'cause I managed to order the book 90 seconds after realizing exactly what y'all were talking about.  ;D   I should get a copy within the week, so again .. THANK YOU!!  :cr)
"Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan".
My hovercraft is full of eels.

“I miss you,” Jack whispered. “I miss you.” He felt loved. He felt heard. Shades of Grey by MidwestGirl

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2007, 06:09 PM »
  &**)  It's here!! It arrived today! And I already love the Acknowlegements!  I don't think I've ever said that about a book before, but it talks about the phenomenon of so many people being deeply affected in the wake of the film and feeling the need to discuss it with others. Sound familiar to anyone here??? I can't wait to discuss these essays with those of you who are interested. Will keep y'all posted. (Pun intended... (t) )
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2007, 11:06 PM by proulxfan »

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2007, 08:10 AM »
proulxfan, I would love to, but unfortunately, my life is a bit messed up right now on account on some bad planning by my condo management.  Needless to say, I need to reread the book, but my place looks like a war zone right now, with everything stowed away in boxes, furniture covers, and the like -- to keep things out of harm's way.

To everyone here interested: please start the discussion going.  I can perhaps recall a few things without a rerread, and I can certainly join once things are a bit back to normal...

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2007, 07:46 PM »
I'm still waiting for mine... should be there tomorrow :P
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2007, 11:18 PM »
The book was waiting for me at home 8)  I just love Amazon  <^(  Now I need to find some time to read... other than during sleeping hours.  :i
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2007, 09:39 AM »
Well, I've read four of the essays so far, and have had widely varying reactions. (Sometimes I find myself wondering if these people saw or read the same film/story.)

We're off to camp for a four day weekend which should give me lots of time for reading and reaction. Will report back on Monday.  :cr)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2007, 04:50 PM »
I just read the preface, I'm stuck in another book for now.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2007, 05:02 PM »
tpe,

Sorry to hear about your condo-related travails...hope they have all been satisfactorily resolved by now.

It sure has been quiet on this thread the last couple of weeks. And I had too much fun over labor day weekend to get all that much reading done.

I have now read through all the essays, which took me a bit longer than I had planned. I was going along okay until I got to no.7: "When This Thing Grabs Hold of Us...", when the wheels fell completely off my c*nt truck. It took me 3 days to struggle through the piece-it didn't grab ahold of me-and I finished it with very little clearer idea of what point the writer was trying to make than I had on the first page.

It seems to me that almost half of these essays were written for a fairly small, academically inclined audience. And many of those contained a lot of jargon relating to post-modernism and queer theory, areas in which I have no training and limited experience. Those presented quite a challenge, and sometimes I wondered whether or not the struggle was worthwhile. I can't honestly say at this point that they whetted my appetite for more.

Others were apparently intended for a broader audience, and should be able to provide fodder for some interesting discussions here. I plan to cycle back through some of these and maybe post a question or topic.

Before I forget though, I owe Jackster an apology of sorts. The essay about Ennis prefering to keep his relationship with Jack as it was, with few strings attached, did present an interesting case. The view presented is consistent with what we see of Ennis throughout the film. Ennis seems unable to deal with the complications, compromises and demands that any close relationship entails,-remember he's had very little experience with this from his childhood-and by limiting his time with Jack to their 2-3- times-a-year get-togethers, it keeps things neat and uncomplicated, however painful their partings.

I shall read this one again and see if I can comment on this more clearly; I am having to reach too far back with my weak memory... *^)
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2007, 11:15 PM by proulxfan »

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2007, 05:10 PM »
I should seriously start this reading this week, I'm almost done with I Claudius.  Reading what you posted, I expect some challenge... English is not my first language.  :i

I'll comment later if the army don't get me.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2007, 05:58 PM »
cham,

I can't wait to see your opinions/thoughts on these. And as you are a non-native English speaker, I empathize with your struggle. I shudder to think how much I would be able to understand in French, though I should go and check out that thread to practice a bit... *o)

Just be prepared to get a little tired of the word "heteronormative". I know I did.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2007, 08:11 PM »
Oh gosh! :P  Thanks for the warning.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2007, 10:41 PM »
I'm going to have to check out amazon and get me a copy.  :)
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #23 on: Sep 17, 2007, 11:29 PM »
I'm going to have to check out amazon and get me a copy.  :)

I'll take mine to Salisbury, it will be most likely my reading stuff for the waiting time in airports so if you want to wait you could have a look at it.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2007, 07:23 PM »
Thanks Pierre  :^^)
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #25 on: Sep 23, 2007, 07:53 PM »
It sure has been quiet on this thread the last couple of weeks. And I had too much fun over labor day weekend to get all that much reading done.

I have now read through all the essays, which took me a bit longer than I had planned. I was going along okay until I got to no.7: "When This Thing Grabs Hold of Us...", when the wheels fell completely off my c*nt truck. It took me 3 days to struggle through the piece-it didn't grab ahold of me-and I finished it with very little clearer idea of what point the writer was trying to make than I had on the first page.

It seems to me that almost half of these essays were written for a fairly small, academically inclined audience. And many of those contained a lot of jargon relating to post-modernism and queer theory, areas in which I have no training and limited experience. Those presented quite a challenge, and sometimes I wondered whether or not the struggle was worthwhile. I can't honestly say at this point that they whetted my appetite for more.

Others were apparently intended for a broader audience, and should be able to provide fodder for some interesting discussions here. I plan to cycle back through some of these and maybe post a question or topic.

Yes, quiet indeed! I'd have to say I agree entirely with your overview of the intended audience. After reading the first two or three I was very intrigued by the prospect of what I thought they were trying to do here. Unfortunately by the time I got to No's 8, 9, 10, etc. it began to get a little much, one might even say pedantic or repetitive. Especially, as you say in the post-modernist, queer theory viewpoints that, like you, I'm really unfamiliar with (and really have no interest in). I had to stop, take a breather and then go back. I was also curious as to what other EJ opinions would be. In addition, I felt guilty of sounding so excited by the early essays then feeling almost bored by the later ones. I will try and start some again, but it is difficult reading at times.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #26 on: Sep 23, 2007, 08:12 PM »
Before I forget though, I owe Jackster an apology of sorts . . . . . . I shall read this one again and see if I can comment on this more clearly; I am having to reach too far back with my weak memory...

No apology needed whatsoever, I'm a tough old bird and can take all kinds of gruff  O0. Thanks.

That essay was one that I could actually understand (I think) and see the point of what he was trying to say. Though like a lot of academia, and unlike Alma Jr., he's says a lot in order to get his point across. ;)

But now dear proulxfan, we need you to stick your neck out and summarize one of these essays for the audience.  >:D

Offline jedibarrister

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #27 on: Aug 01, 2009, 09:08 PM »
The first handful of essays were very interesting and enlightening.  Then they started to get a bit "pompous" as in "gee look how many big words I can string together in one sentence and show off how smart I am".  A few of the essays made no sense to me....and I don't think I'm a mental slacker.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2009, 08:45 PM »
I just found this thread, after all this time.  ::) I guess I have been too busy with the other threads to go looking. Now that the forum is kinda quiet, it's perfect time to catch up on the quiet corners.

I never heard of the essays, and haven't seen it in the local bookstore.

Jedibarrister's review doesn't inspire to go and buy it.

In any case, I find the discussion in the forum more and enough to satiate my appetite for Brokeback discussion.

What is the first essay about? Don't type in the whole thing, but I'd be happy to share in the interesting and enlightening bits.  :)
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline nonamelake

• Cassie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2009, 02:26 AM »
Not to sound pompous, but I'm always rolling my eyes over supposed 'experts' writing essays about this precious topic. We posters in these forums, many of us well-educated, have devoted enough time and thought to qualify for the title, don't you think? I seriously doubt there's anyone who's spent as much time pondering and discussing as we BBM compulsives!