[...]
And then there's the human condition itself--we see evidence, every day, of the discardability of any human being--they're gone, life moves on, and what the hell does that say about the so-called value of life, itself? And yet, we also see the opposite-the beauty and goodness in
other people. Religions that aren't cults speak of a war between good and evil, and we are in the battleground "where ignorant armies clash by night...". And there are casualties as we are supposedly marching, or limping, towards some kind of redemption, where the pieces of the
puzzle will fit together and we will find that we were greatly loved and were meant to learn, somehow, to find a way to love each other.
But we all know about religion, don't we? Not always the consolation, expected--just mere words. I would never say to someone who harbors pain-look to God, because usually someone has an agenda there--believe like them.
[...] you didn't co-operate with that which would steal from you (and I know am repeating myself)...your right to heal. Look for the good times, and maybe they will win out. Tony.
Hi, Tony, you always bring fresh thoughts to my mind, and challenge me to new heights. Fact is, sometimes you hit so hard, I have to defend myself just to stay on my feet.
It may be better to start a new topic but fear of love and religion's role in healing are somewhat related, IMO.
You have mentioned more than once the "discardability" of human beings in the cruel world of relationships, in society. One of the most comforting part of my faith, which is neither Catholic nor Protestant, is simply being Christian, in that original meaning of the word, the follower of Christ.
In the early days of my world crashing to bits, I lost hope, lost faith, lost joy, lost fear, lost everything... Life had no meaning, because what gave it meaning was gone...no more. When a dear gay friend (actually my only gay friend) saw how devastated I was, he took me (actually more like pushed me, because I was too apathetic to care one way or another) to this church (not the same one he goes to, which is Catholic) but a non-denominational, grass-root type of church, with music being the major part of the service, with a very talented music director leading in the singing of the songs. I stopped going to church after high school, for one reason or another. The service blew me away. From the moment Amazing Grace started, to the many wonderful songs that spoke of love...How I love him because he first loved me...the tears began to flow and I was sobbing. I can never think back to those days without crying...after twenty seven years...the emotions remember.
Sorry for the rambling, but I am never coherent when I tell that part of my past. My point is that religion is not about agenda. When it IS about agenda, it is NOT religion. That's the best litmus test you can have. When someone asks you to join a church, any church, ask them if you can just observe, cool off for a while. If they really love you, they will let you go, and still care about you. If it is about their agenda, they will do anything to keep you there, to do what THEY want. It's as clear as night and day.
After the first moving services that opened my heart again, allowing me to grief so openly, without shame...I started reading the Bible again, like I did in high school, and read passages that I knew, but did not fully understand. The chapter in John 14...the Comforter...is what this forum is for me now, what that church for me was then. When I left Vancouver for career reasons, I knew I left a piece of my heart in that church, with the people in that church. I did not realize how badly I missed it, until I joined a fundamentalist church in a new city, more out of desperation, out of loneliness, and even thought it was possible to go straight, or at least celibate, just to fit in. Loneliness sometimes made me do really stupid things. To make a long story short, good intentions are not enough, where there is not love. True religion is like true love. There is no greater love than this, for a man to lay down his own life, for the life of his friend. When dogma is more important than compassion, when the bottom line is more important than the people, when...but I digress.
Truth is, true religion will always find a place in this cold cruel world, where people are discarded, discounted, discredited for one reason or another. True religion is the one place where anyone, is welcome, where anyone can find a home, where anyone will feel belong, where anyone will feel loved, without reservation, as is. True love and true religion are so intertwined in my mind that I cannot think of one, without thinking of the other. True love is meaningless without eternity, and eternity is meaningless without true love. Did I really just write that? Like I said, Tony, you challenge me to new territories, and new heights. I love you all, MG, tpe, et al for this very reason.
Fear of Love...like that old song that I just quoted, and remembered every day, like those two shirts...I love him because he first loved me...His loved conquered my fear... :\'( :\'( :\'(
Sorry, that's all for now.
