Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 644137 times)

Offline Emzan

• Jack + Ennis
  • I Miss You My Beautiful Baby
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #360 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:30 PM »
:\'( I hope Jake will be strong for Matilda's sake. But for now, he also needs to let his grief show. He doesn't need to be the strong silent cowboy. He needs to be Ennis in the last scene, hurting, but accepting the peace and hope of future reunions. It will probably take a long time, and he has such a heavy work load...Brothers is an emotionally demanding movie. I just hope the people around him will give him the shoulders for him to cry on, and the fr#$#king media will stay off his back, let him show his grief in private.

yea they should everybody in his life be alone. they need time to grief.
Nuke the EFF on!!

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #361 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:31 PM »
Everybody has their own way to grieve and deal with pain... Jake is doing it in his own way.

Yup, you bet. And I hope and pray that he gets over this.
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline LuvHeath4ever

• Alma Jr.
  • a.k.a. Beans1030
« Reply #362 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:32 PM »
I see that there are tons of posts since yesterday, because Heath has finally been laid to rest.  I came across an article on AOL, showing pictures of family and friends at the beachside memorial.  Very beautiful.... :cr)

*edited by mod*

Please, friends. We all mourn for Heath, but his family had asked of the media to respect their privacy and let them grieve over their loss in private. Out of respect for the Ledger family, please refrain from posting pictures from Heath's funeral or memorial. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2008, 03:59 PM by keren_b »
R.I.P. Heath 1979-2008
"What we got now, is Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Emzan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #363 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:35 PM »
Yes, It's a very beautiful tribute to him :)
Nuke the EFF on!!

Offline LuvHeath4ever

• Alma Jr.
  • a.k.a. Beans1030
« Reply #364 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:00 PM »
I see that there are tons of posts since yesterday, because Heath has finally been laid to rest.  I came across an article on AOL, showing pictures of family and friends at the beachside memorial.  Very beautiful.... :cr)

*edited by mod*

Please, friends. We all mourn for Heath, but his family had asked of the media to respect their privacy and let them grieve over their loss in private. Out of respect for the Ledger family, please refrain from posting pictures from Heath's funeral or memorial. Thank you.

This was a link through AOL news, I was assuming if it's a legitimate source, it was ok. 
Why have this thread if you can't post legitimate things???   :-\\
R.I.P. Heath 1979-2008

Offline vivici

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #365 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Farewell, beautiful one...  Lord, it's real.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #366 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:44 PM »
This was a link through AOL news, I was assuming if it's a legitimate source, it was ok. 
Why have this thread if you can't post legitimate things???   :-\\

There are paparazzi shots, for example one of Heath and Matilda.  As per  our guidelines, it's the reason why it was edited, for respect of their private life.  Thanks for your understanding.  :)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline LuvHeath4ever

• Alma Jr.
  • a.k.a. Beans1030
« Reply #367 on: Feb 09, 2008, 11:14 PM »
Ok, here's a link to the Memorial Blog that only has a few pics in it:

http://heathledgermemorialblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/michelle-williams-plunges-into-ocean-to.html
R.I.P. Heath 1979-2008

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #368 on: Feb 09, 2008, 11:35 PM »
Thanks for that LuvHeath4ever.  :ghug:
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #369 on: Feb 09, 2008, 11:56 PM »
My heart goes out to Jake. That is all I can say.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #370 on: Feb 10, 2008, 12:02 AM »
An interesting development as a direct result of Heath's accident. Apparently there have been numerous past cases in the US military with recouperating troops that will now be investigated.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Army-Drug-Overdoses.html?_r=1&scp=5&sq=heath%20ledger&st=nyt&oref=slogin

Thank you, Heath.

Plus it's absolutely shameful how in the past few years pharmaceutical companies are advertising drugs on TV.  All of a sudden I started seeing it, and it's just gotten more and more and more.  Even though they say those bizarre warnings (side effect may include death...), still, it's way out of hand.  They ought to take them off, like they did liquor for a while -- though I notice those ads are back on, for hard liquor (while saying to please drink responsibly -- right).

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #371 on: Feb 10, 2008, 12:04 AM »
It's all very well DB, but why did you have to copy that whole repulsive article...we shouldn't repeat such a trash 
Sorry if I'm angry nothing personal and I apologize in advance dear,but I started to read it and almost puke... >:(

I'm not reading it.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #372 on: Feb 10, 2008, 12:16 AM »
I dunno - there were quite a few reports yesterday saying that he'd arrived in Perth.

Whether he did or not, I hope he'll be okay. This has got to have hit him so hard :-\\

I do hope he was there -- he needs to be with everyone else who was closest to Heath -- that in itself will be a comfort and healing to him.

kathy

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #373 on: Feb 10, 2008, 12:27 AM »
I wonder if Jake is alright. He has been missing from all the public appearances, including this one, or at least, no mention of him. I hope this is the family's way of protecting his privacy, and not his own secluding himself. It would be much healthier for him to be able to mourn and let it out. I read he calls his sister and Reese Witherspoon daily, but I think he needs someone like Daniel Day-Lewis, Eric Bana, an older brother figure who can help him cope.

The cremation ceremony would have been a moment for him to let go. I wish he was there.  :\'(

Thanks, Asali, for sending the news updates.

In today's newspaper the following was reported.
Noticeabley absent from yesterday's memorial was Ledger's best friend and godfather to Matilda, Jake Gyllenhaal - his co-star in Brokeback Mountain. While many of Ledger's friends and family have spent the past two weeks attending memorials in the US, Gyllenhaal has remained secluded as he comes to term's with his mate's death.
"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #374 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:14 AM »
In today's newspaper the following was reported.
Noticeabley absent from yesterday's memorial was Ledger's best friend and godfather to Matilda, Jake Gyllenhaal - his co-star in Brokeback Mountain. While many of Ledger's friends and family have spent the past two weeks attending memorials in the US, Gyllenhaal has remained secluded as he comes to term's with his mate's death.

Thanks, Asali. Your news is much appreciated.

As I said before, my hopes and prayers go to Jake.  :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: The survivor sometimes has it tougher. The anger, the depression, the denial, the guilt, the cycle that keeps going over and over until somehow, miraculously, there is acceptance and peace. I hope Jake will receive the gift that Jack gave to Ennis, and receive the peace that Ennis found in the two shirts.

:\'(  :ghug:

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #375 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:32 AM »
As I said before, my hopes and prayers go to Jake.  :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: The survivor sometimes has it tougher. The anger, the depression, the denial, the guilt, the cycle that keeps going over and over until somehow, miraculously, there is acceptance and peace. I hope Jake will receive the gift that Jack gave to Ennis, and receive the peace that Ennis found in the two shirts.

:\'(  :ghug:

You're right, LC - death is always hard on those left behind. I am a little surprised that Jake hasn't attended, though. I thought he would have needed to be there, to pay his respects to his mate. I guess the fact that he wasn't just goes to show how devastated he's been by this tragedy :-\\

I hope you're right about him finding peace in the end. It's a tragedy that Heath is no longer with us - I'd hate to see the light go out in Jake's eyes too :\'(
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #376 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:42 AM »
You're right, LC - death is always hard on those left behind. I am a little surprised that Jake hasn't attended, though. I thought he would have needed to be there, to pay his respects to his mate. I guess the fact that he wasn't just goes to show how devastated he's been by this tragedy :-\\

I hope you're right about him finding peace in the end. It's a tragedy that Heath is no longer with us - I'd hate to see the light go out in Jake's eyes too :\'(

Have faith, NoReins, that Jake will find his way to peace again. It will take time, and perhaps a little help from his friends, old and new. As long as the media will give him the privacy he needs.

:ghug: :ghug: :ghug:

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #377 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:12 AM »

I was surprised too that he hasn't attended, but everybody has their own way to deal with grief. For some people, attending memorials and being with other mourners brings comfort, for other people it might be more difficult. I guess Jake is dealing in his own way.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline Emzan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #378 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:38 AM »
I hope when Jake do interviews in the future that he don't have to deal with a lot of questions about Heath. Maybe that's why hes staying away from all the media. I don't know :-\\
Nuke the EFF on!!

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #379 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:02 AM »
All I know is, that it was reported that Jake was so devastated about the news of Heath's death that he took some time off the set of "Brothers" he is currently filming...

Actor Jake Gyllenhaal has been left traumatized by the death of close pal Heath Ledger, according to a US report.A source on the set of the star’s new movie, Brothers, revealed he was somber and staring into space following news of Ledger’s tragic death.
Gyllenhaal, 27, took a break from filming Brothers in New Mexico when he learned the news of Ledger’s January 22nd death.
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline Emzan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #380 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:06 AM »
omg, I feel so bad for him. I just wan't to hug him :ghug:
Nuke the EFF on!!

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #381 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:10 AM »
He probably needs to be with family and friends, and the last thing he needs is reporters and questions. My heart just goes out to him, I keep thinking that my pain is nothing compared to his. I hope people will leave him alone and let him come to terms with this tragedy in his own time and his own way.

Offline Emzan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #382 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:14 AM »
He probably needs to be with family and friends, and the last thing he needs is reporters and questions. My heart just goes out to him, I keep thinking that my pain is nothing compared to his. I hope people will leave him alone and let him come to terms with this tragedy in his own time and his own way.

Well said :)
Nuke the EFF on!!

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #383 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Heath Ledger (1979 – 2008)
A tribute to the reluctant star, whose finest roles eerily mimicked his all-too-short life

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/18355273/heath_ledger_1979_8211_2008/2

He arrived onscreen looking windy and fresh, as if he'd just blown in from someplace else. His face just missed being pretty; there was the tiny, precise mouth, but also the mulish neck and shoulders and then the rich tobacco roll of the voice. He became a locus of passionate admiration, the senior you hoped to be as a freshman. Two days after Heath Ledger's death, at the age of twenty-eight, Daniel Day-Lewis halted an appearance in the confessional of Oprah. "I'm sorry - it just seems somehow strange to be talking about anything else," the actor said. "I didn't know him. I have an impression, a strong impression, that I would have liked him very much, as a man, if I had."
We count on our performers for many things — as demonstrators of excellence, as figures of monstrous envy — but we rarely expect to feel luckier than they are, and never anticipate they will leave without a speech. Friends tell me they can't stop thinking about Ledger; none can explain why, some apologize for the absurdity, in a nation at war, to find this outpouring of sympathy and shock directed towards one man. But stars embody our dream lives. They're who we intend to be, once we get the job stuff settled, find the person we'll love, once the shooting is over and we're finally at home. Stars embody one quality; that's what makes them stars. And Ledger was a star in a very particular way. To stare at him — and in theaters and living rooms, we stare with an intensity we exercise nowhere else — was to receive a sense of capacity, power, and potential, a kind of perfectly vivid health and youth. That's why his death feels wrong, and why the response has felt primitive, tribal. It means youth and vitality aren't enough. It's like losing a season.

The story moved swiftly, with unpredictable reversals of field. A massage therapist discovered his body on a Tuesday afternoon, face down in his Manhattan bedroom. By evening, the named culprit was recreational drugs, an overdose; pills were reported strewn by his bedside. By Wednesday, these turned out to be prescription medications, neatly stowed in bottles and foil wrap and a rolled-up bill had been inspected and cleared of charges. The substances were Xanax, Valium and Ambien, which made Ledger's bedroom just like a thousand others in downtown Manhattan, home of the anxious, the ambitious, the sleepless. There was the sight of Michelle Williams — his ex-fiancée, mother of his daughter, Matilda — in a car bound for the airport, resembling a first lady in mourning. (Arriving in Brooklyn, what stuck was not the pale blue lightning of the digital cameras, but the sight of chauffeurs and bodyguards fishing into the passenger cab for her daughter's stuffed animals and toys.) There was his family expressing their regrets, in front of a sunny suburban house and lawn that looked shockingly ordinary. At Sundance, premieres were canceled, in Hollywood, studio statements were released. By the weekend, New York Police were speculating that the medications had accidentally bonded into a kind of cocktail that stopped Ledger's heart. Gossip columnists darkly hinted of hard partying, of stories to come that would "make our collective hair stand on end," and a People magazine obituary issue was like a tone poem on the single word "excess." ("He was trying to lead a healthy life," a friend told the magazine. "But sometimes he went to excess.") Outside the Screen Actors Guild Awards, fringe evangelicals picketed, because Ledger had once portrayed a homosexual cowboy. The last most people saw of him was in a zippered black bag, wheeling into an ambulance, with its sad little bumps for his feet and head.

Ledger grew up in Perth, Western Australia — "the most isolated city," he told me, "in the world." His father designed and drove race cars, mother taught French, and Ledger offered something of their mix, the rugged and the cultural. He wanted to act, could not cast himself in the role of student — "I had a problem with authority" — and at sixteen he drove to Sydney with less than an Australian dollar in his pocket. It was already a life of bold strokes, simple and large movements and changes of scenery; a life from a movie.

When it happens, it happens fast. Ledger's Hollywood career began a year before George Bush's election, and did not outlast his presidency. In 1999, Ledger took the lead boyfriend role in the high school comedy 10 Things I Hate About You, where his appearance was gently disorienting, as if Sean Connery had been aged down and cast in a John Hughes picture. For a year, he refused other high school roles; one of his talents was for pausing at the right moment, sitting still, and waiting for situations to develop in his favor. He played Mel Gibson's son in The Patriot. Then he was cast to carry the medieval drama A Knight's Tale. He was twenty-one. His body still had a kid's loose, unstringed movements, but it was clear he would become a star. There was the big frontal block of the smile, lines racing up from his chin to his ears; when he smiled, his face fanned brutal and turned warn; it was a great, manly smile, a smile that commanded.

The second part of Ledger's career was a reaction to that picture: he'd glimpsed the highway being paved ahead of him, the career he was being given; he stood up in the middle of a studio marketing meeting, locked himself in a bathroom. "It was a full-on anxiety attack," he said. "I was hitting my head, hitting the walls." From there, he steered his own course, towards darker movies, chillier commercial prospects. He meant to scrape away the star's glossy coating, replace it with the raw, flexible skin of an actor. "I wanted to take the blond out of my career," he said, "kill the direction it was going. I was like, 'How am I going to make this a career I would like to have?' "

Four years later, from the uplands of award nominations and Brokeback Mountain, having acted with directors Lasse Hallstrü m, Terry Gilliam, Ang Lee, he looked back at the moment with satisfaction. He'd stepped in, and piloted own life. "I just felt like I earned it, like I deserved it more, you know? And I sleep better that way."
"Well, that's very important," I said.

"Yeah, it is," he said. "Absolutely. You die young ?"

Off-set, he clomped around in big boots and a hoodie, hands kangarooed in the pocket; interviewed, he kept on his sunglasses, to subtly maintain a private world, a kind of eye Kevlar. Celebrity was impractical, was what the clothes said. He hadn't accommodated himself to the deal, with its pluses and minuses: you sell the media slices of private life, in exchange for set time and the immense freedoms of the salary. Profiles began to circle around the same words: wary, restless. (A London Times writer, who interviewed him on six occasions, wrote simply that Ledger had "worried himself to death.") He couldn't seem to disengage; the inexactness bothered him. "For you or anyone sitting here to really know me," he explained to me, "you'd have to sit here for a year, it would take that much time for me to explain it."

He approached his own work with the same hardness; he did not, he said, class himself an artist, and never believed he'd been good. "I always want to pull myself apart and dissect it." Accepting a part, "I always go through the process of hating it, hating myself, thinking I've fooled them, I can't actually do this." Leger had no formal training, and there's this to be said for acting school: it teaches you to approach a role as foreign, as a language you'll temporarily speak. Ledger didn't appear to have that. He needed to dig for (and inhabit) the part of himself that was the character. "Performance comes from absolutely believing what you're doing," he said. "You convince yourself, and believe in the story with all your heart." It didn't always shut off when a production did, and I think it ground him. Finishing Brokeback, he immediately flew to Venice, and Casanova. "I don't think I could have just gone home and not worked, to unwind from it," Ledger told me. "I would have just sat there and kind of slowly beat my head against the wall, until it went away."

On the Brokeback Mountain set, he'd began a relationship with Michelle Williams, his onscreen wife. They had a daughter — "we just fell very deeply into one another's arms, our bodies made those decisions for us"— bought a Brooklyn townhouse. A year later, Ledger told reporters he felt as content as he'd ever been. "When you're this happy," he said, "everything seems to fall into place."

The story his best movies tell is a unified story, in chapters, about connection and someone learning how to be. In the Australian drama Candy — playing a heroin addict, with all of a successful addicts sly, soft corruption — the story was about what happens when you transform other people into the means to a destination. Casanova was about how to shift from being a lover — which is abstract and general — and push ahead with the business of actually loving one person. Brokeback Mountain warned of the life where you refuse love, the costs everyone around you must pay. In I'm Not There, he played a man who had — like himself when the film was released — for reasons he could not explain but could not correct, lost his lover, family and home. As The Joker in next summer's The Dark Knight, he will appear as a man severed from all connection. A "psychopathic, mass-murdering clown with zero empathy," is how he described it to the New York Times. On set, Michael Caine said the performance sometimes turned so frightening he forgot his own lines.

When Ledger and Williams split last September, the explanation appeared to be drug use. Ledger took an apartment in SoHo and missed his daughter. Sleep became a problem. "I need to do something with this head because sometimes I just don't sleep, it just keeps ticking." He talked medications, telling the Times he was managing about two hours a night. On an evening when one Ambien didn't do the job, he swallowed a second, passed out, came to an hour later, head still whirring. On his last film set, co-star Christopher Plummer reported that Ledger didn't seem to be sleeping at all. Among the saddest images of the past month is Ledger, forty-eight hours before his death, alone at a late-night bar, hoodie hiked up, drinking through the mouth-hole of a ski mask.

It's been a time of tributes. Todd Haynes, his director on I'm Not There, paid Ledger the compliment he denied himself: "Heath was a true artist." He added, "This is an unimaginable tragedy." Ang Lee, who won the director's Academy Award for Brokeback, said "Working with Heath was one of the purest joys of my life. His death is heartbreaking." Dark Knight director Chris Nolan wrote about "charisma — as invisible and natural as gravity. That's what Heath had. I've never felt as old as I did watching Heath explore his talents." At press time, the New York Police Department has yet to settle on an official cause of death, but in a sense it's right there in front of us. Ledger made great demands on his heart — romantically, professionally, personally, physically. And in the end, his heart said "No."

From Issue No. 1046, February 21, 2008

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #384 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:30 AM »
Eric Roberts' memorial of Heath Ledger

http://www.badtaste.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2886&Itemid=82

Actor Eric Roberts, whom we interviewed some time ago, sent us a memorial of Heath Ledger, whom he met on The Dark Knight set. Here's what he wrote:

"In the UK, on The Dark Knight set, we shot a scene with much of the cast, many of the guys playing my henchmen, and me, playing Salvatore Maroni, with Heath as “The Joker”.
He had an incredibly written speech to give, and we were blown away. He was just fascinating and amazing in the part.
I once turned down a chance to play “Stanley Kowalski” in "A Streetcar Called Desire" for a fantastic director and phenomenal cast (Ann-Margaret, Randy Quaid, Raphael Sbarge, Beverly D’Angelo). I felt that role had been played consummately by Marlon Brando, so I turned the role down, which I have regretted ever since: Treat Williams played “Stanley” in that production.
Here comes the role of “The Joker”, as if we weren’t all in love with Jack Nicholson in the role (and in every role)… I have to admit being unable to picture anyone in the role.
On that day, Heath Ledger earned my respect. I’d loved him in MONSTER’S BALL and his other films, but this was a whole other world. Heath was a lovely man, who clearly had had his life taken over by his daughter, as much of THE DARK KNIGHT cast & production had with their children…
Our kids mean everything to us.

It was obvious he worked hard and took his character very seriously, and did something really risky and unexpected with it. I am so proud to have been part of THE DARK KNIGHT, and can only wish he knew how loved and appreciated he was. It’s painful to watch people focus on someone who’s passed away and to realize that person is not here to receive all that positive energy.

My wife, Eliza, was in "Animal House", and she was working on a show for DBS when John Belushi died. For weeks after, that cast and production stayed in close touch with each other, visiting each others’ respective sets and studios and homes. My stepson, Keaton Simons, lost his bass player, Loren Toder, to an undetected heart ailment, when they were nineteen years old. The agony of losing someone as young as Heath, Loren and John were does not abate.
They have so much more art in them…

I did not see any indication of his having any problems of any kind. I have worked with other actors whose behavior is symptomatic of either depression or self-medicating, and I do believe in taking well-advised steps to reach out and help someone. But I saw none of that with this man and am in no position at all to comment. I used to have a terrible problem with myself resulting in problems with drugs, including the drug of alcohol. I wish I hadn’t been so good at scaring people into not approaching me. I needed their help. Though, truth is, several people tried and did a really excellent job, which I undid. Until one day…"

Offline cynical21

• Alma Jr.
  • My candle burns at both ends . . .
« Reply #385 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Heath Ledger (1979 – 2008)
A tribute to the reluctant star, whose finest roles eerily mimicked his all-too-short life

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/18355273/heath_ledger_1979_8211_2008/2

The story his best movies tell is a unified story, in chapters, about connection and someone learning how to be. In the Australian drama Candy — playing a heroin addict, with all of a successful addicts sly, soft corruption — the story was about what happens when you transform other people into the means to a destination. Casanova was about how to shift from being a lover — which is abstract and general — and push ahead with the business of actually loving one person. Brokeback Mountain warned of the life where you refuse love, the costs everyone around you must pay. In I'm Not There, he played a man who had — like himself when the film was released — for reasons he could not explain but could not correct, lost his lover, family and home. As The Joker in next summer's The Dark Knight, he will appear as a man severed from all connection. A "psychopathic, mass-murdering clown with zero empathy," is how he described it to the New York Times. On set, Michael Caine said the performance sometimes turned so frightening he forgot his own lines.

When Ledger and Williams split last September, the explanation appeared to be drug use. Ledger took an apartment in SoHo and missed his daughter. Sleep became a problem. "I need to do something with this head because sometimes I just don't sleep, it just keeps ticking." He talked medications, telling the Times he was managing about two hours a night. On an evening when one Ambien didn't do the job, he swallowed a second, passed out, came to an hour later, head still whirring. On his last film set, co-star Christopher Plummer reported that Ledger didn't seem to be sleeping at all. Among the saddest images of the past month is Ledger, forty-eight hours before his death, alone at a late-night bar, hoodie hiked up, drinking through the mouth-hole of a ski mask.

It's been a time of tributes. Todd Haynes, his director on I'm Not There, paid Ledger the compliment he denied himself: "Heath was a true artist." He added, "This is an unimaginable tragedy." Ang Lee, who won the director's Academy Award for Brokeback, said "Working with Heath was one of the purest joys of my life. His death is heartbreaking." Dark Knight director Chris Nolan wrote about "charisma — as invisible and natural as gravity. That's what Heath had. I've never felt as old as I did watching Heath explore his talents." At press time, the New York Police Department has yet to settle on an official cause of death, but in a sense it's right there in front of us. Ledger made great demands on his heart — romantically, professionally, personally, physically. And in the end, his heart said "No."

From Issue No. 1046, February 21, 2008

What a lovely article, and I, being the kind of nerd who collects favorite quotes like some people collect baseball cards, think that final observation is going right to the top of my list of favorites.  Also have to agree with the comments concerning I'm Not There.  Just saw it yesterday, and had the sense, throughout, that I was watching both another consummate performance from a wondrously gifted young man - and, perhaps, a tiny little slice of his own life.  It was almost ominous in the way it paralleled his personal experiences - almost too close to reality for comfort.

Thanks for posting this.

CYN
“Ledger made great demands on his heart — romantically, professionally, personally, physically. And in the end, his heart said 'No'."  --  David Lipsky, Rolling Stone

"There will be stars over the place forever;
There will be stars forever, while we sleep." - Sara Teasdale

"There were only the two of them on the mountain, flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk’s back . . . " -  Annie Proulx

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #386 on: Feb 10, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Wow - that's a pretty amazing article from Rolling Stone.

Thanks for posting, Keren ^f^
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #387 on: Feb 10, 2008, 11:54 AM »
I found a rare interview... it's a press junket from the Berlin Film Festival, February 2006, when Heath was promoting Candy. There were 6 journalists around the table, and Heath. One of the journalists was Israeli and I found it on his blog, he posted the full audio recording. The quality is not so good, but I managed to understand parts of it... I loved how he talked about Matilda, how she wakes up in the middle of the night giggling, and about the research that Abby Cornish and him did for "Candy".

http://www.esnips.com/doc/40fac116-0a4b-4f07-b932-2ccf36d733e6/heath-ledger-interview

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #388 on: Feb 10, 2008, 01:55 PM »
I really liked the Rolling stone article. Thanks for posting Keren  :ghug:

I'm going to check out the audio link later.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline Rosie

• Jack + Ennis
  • that old cold time
« Reply #389 on: Feb 10, 2008, 02:01 PM »
The Rolling Stone article was great. Thank you Keren  ^f^  I'm off to listen to the audio now.
Danny and me, Danny and me,  Danny and me and the sea,
Bobbing out of Pleasure Bay, the islands on our lee;
Spectacle, Georges, Gallops, the sun-wash on the brine
Castle Island where Skovo danced a bear-dance in bear-time.
The Golden Boy has chosen, I know what I will be
Danny and me, seanchai, Danny and me and the sea.

A Map of the Harbor Islands JG Hayes