Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 644154 times)

Offline white_angel

• Alma
  • You're the only one for me, Heath Ledger
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #480 on: Feb 21, 2008, 03:07 AM »
OUTWARD magazine features the actor. the inspiration. Heath Ledger....

Can't take my eyes off of you Heath.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #481 on: Feb 21, 2008, 07:51 AM »

http://www.ebar.com/arts/art_article.php?sec=film&article=465

----------------------------------------------

Behind the mask of masculinity Film

Two-day tribute to Heath Ledger at the Castro Theatre
Published 02/21/2008
by David Lamble

Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain .

Our cinema church is in session for two days as the Castro hosts six screenings of Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain (Feb. 24, 25) while fans of the film grieve the inexplicable demise of its Oscar-nominated lead actor, Heath Ledger.

Perth-born, a man of the West (Western Australia), the lanky one-time teen idol (10 Things I Hate About You) would publicly disavow any serious trajectory to a career that began with a puppy-dog cute 17-year-old crossing the Outback to test the waters of Sydney TV. An early job popped up in the Olympic tryouts series Sweat. Interestingly, Ledger opted to play a gay cyclist, figuring that the role might catch the eye of American casting agents.

Ledger courted critical dismissal with performances that seemed to skate across the surface of his talent, hiding his depth of commitment to his art. The producer of the Revolutionary War epic The Patriot cited his graceful depiction of a young soldier's harrowing transition from adolescence to adulthood: "There's a natural nobility about him, standing toe-to-toe with Mel Gibson."

After Ledger's brief but memorable turn as the suicidal son from a family of racist Southern prison guards in Marc Forster's Monster's Ball, co-star Billy Bob Thornton noted, "Heath and I seem to have exactly the same sadness." In a brilliant touch, father and son are shown, in different scenes, !@#$ the same female prostitute, from the same camera angle, and in the same sleazy Louisiana motel. In just under a half-hour of screen time, Ledger's scarred loner passes through similarly perilous dramatic beats as his emblematic Brokeback character.

Repeated viewings of Ledger's beautifully tortured Ennis Del Mar reveal a man who has no language to express feelings he doesn't know he possesses until saddle buddy Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) makes the first move in their pup tent one cold night. Two years ago, during a phone chat from the Brooklyn flat he was sharing with girlfriend and fellow Brokeback cast member Michelle Williams, Ledger walked me through Ennis' head as he confronts an unspeakable passion.

"The first time Ennis and Jack get together in the tent, I wanted Ennis to be on the verge of just beating Jack up, because violence was pretty much the only form of expression Ennis had allowed himself. So the first time that Jack and Ennis confront each other, I wanted it to be somewhat explosive, when instincts and passions come into play. I wanted for it to be quick, over and done. Then there were more intimate moments where I wanted to flip the coin a little, to show a sliver of kindness, a small moment of Ennis being more vulnerable for the first time in his life, and actually allow himself to be guided deeper into love. It was important to show that for the tragedy of the story, but also to help portray this beautiful love."

"It was one of the most beautiful screenplays I've ever read. I was certainly drawn to Ennis as opposed to Jack. His silent complexities, there's a huge battle within him, and there were so little words to express this, so I knew there would have to be a thorough investigation into his character. There was a brilliant short story from Annie Proulx, incredibly descriptive, essentially it was a biopic. It was clear how we had to play it. It was going to be the most masculine person I'd played, telling a story which hadn't been told before."

"I think innate conservatism is a part of his genetic structure, the beliefs and fears of his father that have been passed on through him. I see this battle within him; the other half of his battle is that he hasn't recognized it as a battle. I had to capture it in his walk, or his inability to express love; I wanted his words to fight their way out; but while I'm playing Ennis in front of the camera, I had to pretend that I didn't know that this is occurring.

"Half the problem with today's society is that we like to label situations and people, and the term gay is just there to segregate a type of people. It has been overused and abused, and our point is that gay people, straight people: there are people at both ends of that title. Ennis and Jack are just two human beings who fall in love, so whether they're gay or not, I really couldn't care. The story is about two souls who connect."

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #482 on: Feb 21, 2008, 12:29 PM »
Beautifuly said.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
« Reply #483 on: Feb 21, 2008, 02:38 PM »

I've looked through 2 bookstores near me and they don't have the Advocate in either one. Can anyone tell me where else I could possibly find it??
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2008, 03:44 PM by chameau »
"The day I stop having fun, I'll just walk away." -- Heath Ledger

"For a moment in our lives, forever in our hearts." -- Heath Ledger, 1/22/08

"In the dark, I really felt like I could escape to anywhere.
To a place where anything could happen at any time.
Where chaos could reign but the world would never end."
-- Noah Mayer

As the World Turns -- April 2, 1956 - September 17, 2010

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #484 on: Feb 21, 2008, 02:42 PM »
I've looked through 2 bookstores near me and they don't have the Advocate in either one. Can anyone tell me where else I could possibly find it??

If you have a Borders or a Barnes & Noble near you, you should be able to find it under periodicals, or else, in a separate Gay and Lesbian section.

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
« Reply #485 on: Feb 21, 2008, 02:46 PM »
If you have a Borders or a Barnes & Noble near you, you should be able to find it under periodicals, or else, in a separate Gay and Lesbian section.

Haha, Borders and Barnes & Noble are the stores I went to, but I went to the magazine section instead of the "Gay and Lesbian" section...I'll check next time I go, thank you tpe!!
"The day I stop having fun, I'll just walk away." -- Heath Ledger

"For a moment in our lives, forever in our hearts." -- Heath Ledger, 1/22/08

"In the dark, I really felt like I could escape to anywhere.
To a place where anything could happen at any time.
Where chaos could reign but the world would never end."
-- Noah Mayer

As the World Turns -- April 2, 1956 - September 17, 2010

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #486 on: Feb 21, 2008, 03:45 PM »
I'm not sure the March issue is yet available in stores
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

babytammy7

« Reply #487 on: Feb 21, 2008, 04:04 PM »

"The first time Ennis and Jack get together in the tent, I wanted Ennis to be on the verge of just beating Jack up, because violence was pretty much the only form of expression Ennis had allowed himself. So the first time that Jack and Ennis confront each other, I wanted it to be somewhat explosive, when instincts and passions come into play. I wanted for it to be quick, over and done. Then there were more intimate moments where I wanted to flip the coin a little, to show a sliver of kindness, a small moment of Ennis being more vulnerable for the first time in his life, and actually allow himself to be guided deeper into love. It was important to show that for the tragedy of the story, but also to help portray this beautiful love."

"It was one of the most beautiful screenplays I've ever read. I was certainly drawn to Ennis as opposed to Jack. His silent complexities, there's a huge battle within him, and there were so little words to express this, so I knew there would have to be a thorough investigation into his character. There was a brilliant short story from Annie Proulx, incredibly descriptive, essentially it was a biopic. It was clear how we had to play it. It was going to be the most masculine person I'd played, telling a story which hadn't been told before."

"I think innate conservatism is a part of his genetic structure, the beliefs and fears of his father that have been passed on through him. I see this battle within him; the other half of his battle is that he hasn't recognized it as a battle. I had to capture it in his walk, or his inability to express love; I wanted his words to fight their way out; but while I'm playing Ennis in front of the camera, I had to pretend that I didn't know that this is occurring.

"Half the problem with today's society is that we like to label situations and people, and the term gay is just there to segregate a type of people. It has been overused and abused, and our point is that gay people, straight people: there are people at both ends of that title. Ennis and Jack are just two human beings who fall in love, so whether they're gay or not, I really couldn't care. The story is about two souls who connect."

I love his words!! BEAUTIFUL. I understand Ennis better when he talks about him, and also I like so much to learn things about Ennis when it's Heath who is saying them.

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #488 on: Feb 21, 2008, 04:25 PM »

Beautiful.
"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #489 on: Feb 21, 2008, 04:49 PM »

Asali,beautiful and so clever on the part of Heath¡It´s admirable he thought in that way¡ The pity is that not everybody can understand this still... :-\\
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #490 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:49 PM »

Beautiful post Thomas. If we all only understood that being gay or being str8, or being bi was only a part of who we all really are. I stopped being a gay man a long time ago.I am a man who is gay, and that is only a small part of who I am. I hope that makes sense.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #491 on: Feb 22, 2008, 05:23 AM »
Beautiful post Thomas. If we all only understood that being gay or being str8, or being bi was only a part of who we all really are. I stopped being a gay man a long time ago.I am a man who is gay, and that is only a small part of who I am. I hope that makes sense.

It makes a perfect sense,BBBOY,and it should make sense also for all these who are a little sensitive and comprehensive with other persons reality.Sometimes we see some persons who,being very open-minded in social and political topics,are really narrow-minded in,let's say,moral(?) ones-situation that I can't understand but it exists-.All of us have many sides,and our sexual option MUST be only one more among all the complex reality we all are. :ghug:
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #492 on: Feb 22, 2008, 05:57 AM »
http://www.ebar.com/arts/art_article.php?sec=film&article=465
----------------------------------------------
Behind the mask of masculinity Film
Two-day tribute to Heath Ledger at the Castro Theatre
Published 02/21/2008
by David Lamble

Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain .
That is so beautifly put into words, Heath just said it!
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #493 on: Feb 22, 2008, 05:58 AM »

I see on the Advocate website [Advocate.com] there is a place to call if you want to order back issues 1.800.827.0561. Of course this is not a "back issue" yet, but they may be able to help those looking to get a copy of issue #1003.
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline white_angel

• Alma
« Reply #494 on: Feb 22, 2008, 06:03 AM »

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #495 on: Feb 22, 2008, 06:30 AM »
Christopher Nolan's tribute to Heath Ledger
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/01/28/christopher-nolans-tribute-to-heath-ledger/
"Heath was bursting with creativity. It was in his every gesture. He once told me that he liked to wait between jobs until he was creatively hungry. Until he needed it again. He brought that attitude to our set every day. There aren't many actors who can make you feel ashamed of how often you complain about doing the best job in the world. Heath was one of them."
Christopher Nolan calls it Heath Charisma as natural as gravity.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/105580         ****Charisma as Natural as Gravity***
This tribute is pure joy to my eyes, describing Heath with so much love!!! <^(

"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #496 on: Feb 22, 2008, 07:39 AM »

Thanks friends.  What struck me about that article was that it was largely Heath in his own words, and about BBM.  After 2 years, the words speak to us still.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #497 on: Feb 22, 2008, 07:48 AM »

OT:

Thanks BBBoy.  Athough it is well known that my thoughts about this don't exactly match Heath's (and Jake's, for that matter), I agree with the major premise that people are people.  For the arguments I have posited against this, members can read the appropriate thread entitled "Was Ennis Gay?" in "Characters, Quotes, and Scenes" part of the forum.  It is inappropriate to raise this argument here.

Yes, what you say does make sense.  But I should add that although it defines a part of us, that part is truly significant.  In some ways, it defines us.   But do people understand the full significance of your statement: "I stopped being a gay man a long time ago.  I am a man who is gay..."?  I do.  :)

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #498 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:30 AM »
OT:

Thanks BBBoy.  Athough it is well known that my thoughts about this don't exactly match Heath's (and Jake's, for that matter), I agree with the major premise that people are people.  For the arguments I have posited against this, members can read the appropriate thread entitled "Was Ennis Gay?" in "Characters, Quotes, and Scenes" part of the forum.  It is inappropriate to raise this argument here.

Yes, what you say does make sense.  But I should add that although it defines a part of us, that part is truly significant.  In some ways, it defines us.   But do people understand the full significance of your statement: "I stopped being a gay man a long time ago.  I am a man who is gay..."?  I do.  :)

Hey, tpe, I think many understand BBBoy's statement, and I think most young people today growing up without the constant reminder of being gay means being different would understand the second half. If you want to start a new topic discussing the significance of growing up under a cloud of prejudice, of oppression, of repression, of facing a label that overwhelms one's own sense of self-identity, I'd be happy to participate.

I think the lesson that I learned from my own experiences, and drilled into my soul in emotional language that is unambiguous and clear by Heath, is that it does not matter who you love, not their gender, not anything. What really matters is HOW you love them, and how they love you.

Without love, no relationship is significant; with love, no label is significant.
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline white_angel

• Alma
« Reply #499 on: Feb 22, 2008, 11:21 AM »
http://www.newsweek.com/id/105580         ****Charisma as Natural as Gravity***
This tribute is pure joy to my eyes, describing Heath with so much love!!! <^(

Yes, it is true!

The small things A HEATH LEDGER does  were noticeable under a curious eye.
But A HEATH LEDGER passes with flying colors in his good gestures and deeds.
With so much love and much respect in his craft and the people around him.....

A beautiful person that I miss.

Heath  Ledger.  His Charisma as Natural as Gravity.  Christopher Nolan is exactly right!

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #500 on: Feb 22, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Hey, tpe, I think many understand BBBoy's statement, and I think most young people today growing up without the constant reminder of being gay means being different would understand the second half. If you want to start a new topic discussing the significance of growing up under a cloud of prejudice, of oppression, of repression, of facing a label that overwhelms one's own sense of self-identity, I'd be happy to participate.

I think the lesson that I learned from my own experiences, and drilled into my soul in emotional language that is unambiguous and clear by Heath, is that it does not matter who you love, not their gender, not anything. What really matters is HOW you love them, and how they love you.

Without love, no relationship is significant; with love, no label is significant.

OT: Thanks for the comment lance.  Although BBBoy's comment looks paradoxical, it DOES make perfect sense, no?  I hope people understand it as not just a play of words.

In the interest of keeping this thread on course, we can continue the discussion via PMs or in the said thread in Characters Quotes, and Scenes.  It is a rich topic of discussion, and by no means is it black and white.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #501 on: Feb 22, 2008, 12:08 PM »
Heath said: "Half the problem with today's society is that we like to label situations and people, and the term gay is just there to segregate a type of people. It has been overused and abused, and our point is that gay people, straight people: there are people at both ends of that title. Ennis and Jack are just two human beings who fall in love, so whether they're gay or not, I really couldn't care. The story is about two souls who connect."

OT:

OT: Thanks for the comment lance.  Although BBBoy's comment looks paradoxical, it DOES make perfect sense, no?  I hope people understand it as not just a play of words.

In the interest of keeping this thread on course, we can continue the discussion via PMs or in the said thread in Characters Quotes, and Scenes.  It is a rich topic of discussion, and by no means is it black and white.

Hi, tpe, I think this is a rich topic for discussion as you said. It is the whole basis of Brokeback Mountain and why we love Heath's portrayal of Ennis Del Mar. It is because he gets us. Heath understood what it meant to love, with a label around your neck like a stone. He understood what it meant to be liberated, like finding the two shirts, and take flight into the sky, when no labels mattered. He also understood what it meant to have loved and lost, like standing in front of his closet, with tears.

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #502 on: Feb 22, 2008, 01:56 PM »
     One part of these weeks, mostly small, has been looking through the torrent of information, sometimes in a gloomy mood.  It has helped
a little.  Anyway, I found something trivial, but will pass it along, for those, like me, who do look for those little facts and events prior to 1/22.
    When Ayashae started a thread--"Synchronicity", I mostly avoided it; hadn't known what it referred to, and then decided it was a little
too deep for me.  But Heath knew what it was, which shows he had a broad base of knowing the strangeness in events in life.
   I came across a more complete interview with the director, Shakhar Kapur, who had called him, the night before.  Heath complained of jet lag,
(which can, in itself, be a very serious physical ailment), and Kapur said he was scheduling Heath for a massage for 3 P.M., the next day, which
would be a good way to induce sleep, by deep muscle relaxation.  Heath said he already had an appointment for the exact same time and they
cracked jokes about....synchronicity.
  Considering all the things that went wrong---damn.  And yet that may well have been the last hearty laugh Heath had---the strange coincidences
in life----Ayashae's subject---synchronicity.  Not much to most people, but it did show me that Heath was very well-read.

Offline white_angel

• Alma
« Reply #503 on: Feb 23, 2008, 07:56 AM »
     One part of these weeks, mostly small, has been looking through the torrent of information, sometimes in a gloomy mood.  It has helped
a little.  Anyway, I found something trivial, but will pass it along, for those, like me, who do look for those little facts and events prior to 1/22.
    When Ayashae started a thread--"Synchronicity", I mostly avoided it; hadn't known what it referred to, and then decided it was a little
too deep for me.  But Heath knew what it was, which shows he had a broad base of knowing the strangeness in events in life.
   I came across a more complete interview with the director, Shakhar Kapur, who had called him, the night before.  Heath complained of jet lag,
(which can, in itself, be a very serious physical ailment), and Kapur said he was scheduling Heath for a massage for 3 P.M., the next day, which
would be a good way to induce sleep, by deep muscle relaxation.  Heath said he already had an appointment for the exact same time and they
cracked jokes about....synchronicity.
  Considering all the things that went wrong---damn.  And yet that may well have been the last hearty laugh Heath had---the strange coincidences
in life----Ayashae's subject---synchronicity.  Not much to most people, but it did show me that Heath was very well-read.

Ayashae's subject---synchronicity.  Not much to most people, but it did show me that Heath was very well-read.

You said it right. he is one of the very few.

Offline MarieMJS

• Happy, Happy, Joy
  • Alma Jr.
  • You and me are drifting into outter space...
Re: News Coverage: February 2008
« Reply #504 on: Feb 23, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Ok I'm a bit new to this so forgive me if it has been posted elsewhere(I still have so many posts to read :D). I thought it was pretty amazing :)

This is a great editorial about Heath from TheAdvocate.com:

http://www.advocate.com/issue_story.asp?id=52310&page=1

So long, partner

In his short life, Heath Ledger barely had time to tap his potential. But for us, he had already achieved the performance of a lifetime—and losing him so soon after Brokeback Mountain is like suffering a death in the family.
By Kyle Buchanan
From The Advocate  March 11, 2008
So long, partner

On January 22, just minutes after we were introduced at the Sundance Film Festival, lesbian filmmaker Lesli Klainberg dashed over to me, white as a sheet. “Heath Ledger is dead,” she said.

Speaking to me later, Klainberg looks back at that moment with some confusion. “I don’t know what came over me,” she says. “You and I had just met, but as soon as I heard about Heath, my first thought was that I had to find you. Isn’t that weird?”

To me, it made perfect sense. The death of Heath Ledger meant many things to many people, but thanks to Ledger’s Oscar-nominated role as Ennis Del Mar in Brokeback Mountain, the loss resonated with gays and lesbians in a way that other fans may not fully understand. Not just at Sundance but across the country, we sought each other out for comfort when the news hit.

And now -- as the global audience moves past its initial shock and begins to speculate on how Ledger’s death will affect the opening weekend box office for his final completed film, The Dark Knight -- gay moviegoers are still saying goodbye. Many of us are settling in with a deeper sadness that will far outlast this movie season.

“It was clear that there was something very specific to the queer community about his fame,” says film theorist B. Ruby Rich, who witnessed a similar outpouring of grief around the actor’s death. “It’s almost as though he’d been taken up as one of ours, so his death felt very, very personal. People felt implicated in what happened to him.”

Though Ledger was straight (formerly partnered with his Brokeback costar Michelle Williams, with whom he had a daughter, Matilda), many gays took pride in him as a sort of “local boy made good,” an actor whose ascendancy served as living proof that a star could play gay and flourish. While he was not actually a gay star, the thinking went, he was the next best thing: a star whose gay role launched him on to the A-list.

“There is a sense of ownership, and people feel personally stricken,” says Rich. “His role as Ennis blazed a path into people’s hearts and souls, and his death now feels like a continuation of the movie.”

Indeed, for a population who grew up on a filmic diet of doomed gays and lesbians, Ledger’s real-life death adds an extra layer of tragedy to his character in Brokeback Mountain. The life Ennis had carved out was not a happy one, but he was, at least, a survivor. With a minimum of makeup, Ledger had taken the character into his 30s and 40s, ages the actor will now never see. The compromised triumph of Ennis Del Mar—the idea of a happy life gone unlived—grows more bittersweet when coupled with thoughts of what Ledger himself might have gone on to accomplish.

That idea of what could have been isn’t merely informed by Brokeback -- it’s irrevocably intertwined with it. Prior to filming Ang Lee’s gay romance, Ledger was best known for featherweight entertainments like The Patriot, A Knight’s Tale, and the teen romp 10 Things I Hate About You. Groomed for stardom from a young age, Ledger bristled at the roles that were being offered to him (he memorably turned down Columbia Pictures head Amy Pascal when she offered him the plum role of Spider-Man, fearing he’d be typecast).

Like us, he felt himself different, and he honored that feeling.

“In a way, I was spoon-fed, if you will, a career,” he told Time magazine in 2005. “It was fully manufactured by a studio that believed that they could put me on their posters and turn me into their bottle of Coca-Cola, their product.”

Instead of taking that easy path to stardom, Ledger took supporting roles in Lords of Dogtown and Monster’s Ball that allowed him to flex his muscles in a way so rarely required of matinee idols. And then, in Brokeback Mountain, he married his two best attributes -- the charisma of a movie star and the psychological plumbing of a character actor -- to create an indelible portrait of a man tormented by inner longing.

“That performance…I don’t know how to put words on it, really,” says Adam Sutton, a friend of Ledger’s who had visited the actor during the making of Brokeback. Like Ennis Del Mar, Sutton was a closeted cowboy when he and Ledger first met. He credits Brokeback with giving him the courage to come out in The Sydney Morning Herald and, more recently, in his memoir, Say It Out Loud.

Though Sutton claims he gave Ledger no advice on how to play Ennis, he remembers being shocked by the performance during his first screening of the film. “It was pretty surreal, because I looked at my life as a reflection of it,” he says. “I saw everything about me in the film. Heath gave me the inspiration to tell my story, just from a role he played on set.”

The two had met initially on the set of Ledger’s 2003 Aussie western Ned Kelly, where Sutton was hired to teach the actor horse-riding skills. It’s there that Sutton realized just how independent the actor could be, when Ledger—who had a taste for surfing and skateboarding—refused to wear a helmet and brushed off Sutton’s attempts to make him don one.

“He said, ‘But you’re not wearing a helmet!’ ” Sutton laughs. “And so I said, ‘Yeah, true, but you guys have to.’ It was a little bit of a standoff—he went off to himself for an hour. Eventually, he did wear a helmet, but I had to eat my humble pie and wear one too!”

Though they eventually became good friends, Sutton says there was always something elusive about the actor. “He was pretty withdrawn, and he never let anyone right into him. I think he did early on, but the more public he became, the more he went into himself. He never let anybody know who ‘Heath Ledger’ was.”

It’s precisely that enigmatic quality, which protected Ledger in life, that now makes the actor’s story so irresistible in death. Initially, he was a blank slate for speculation, catnip to the 24-hour news cycle that could spin him to fit into any narrative they pleased. One of the most compelling stories, one likely to grow with time, compares Ledger to James Dean. Beyond its most obvious connection, it’s an instructive primer of the homoerotic ingredients that go into creating a masculine icon.

Rebel Without a Cause gave Dean his most famous role, and though the character was straight, he was the object of homosexual desire (and informed by the actor’s own sexual ambiguity). In spite of that—or, I’d posit, because of it—Dean’s Jim Stark became a classic masculine archetype. Ledger’s Ennis Del Mar, though, wasn’t merely the object of gay interest—he was gay himself. The character was iconic from the time Brokeback was released, but Ledger’s early death—and the photos of Heath as Ennis that accompanied nearly every obituary—has hastened his entry into the pantheon of on-screen masculinity.

If that enshrinement raises interesting questions about the role of gay men in creating masculine icons, it’s also caused an early reevaluation of the phenomenon that was Brokeback Mountain. “In a way, [Brokeback fever] had just barely died down and was being put to rest, and now I think that Heath Ledger’s death has made it spring up again,” notes Rich. “That film became a classic, became a cult film, became a personalized object very quickly.”

For a gay audience unused to seeing ourselves on such a big canvas, that level of identification is also why the death of Heath Ledger matters so much to us. We felt so deeply for Ledger because we felt so deeply for Ennis. To watch Heath’s career soar, to watch him fulfill his potential, was to provide, at least by proxy, the happy ending that Ennis never got. Ennis expected nothing, but we expected everything for Heath, and the idea that we’ll never get to see it puts one in mind of Jack Twist, turning away from Ennis Del Mar as his own dreams are dashed. “There’s never enough time,” he mutters. “Never enough.”   

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #505 on: Feb 23, 2008, 07:53 PM »
It was a good place to post it Marie but if you don't mind I moved it here to the Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes. :)

Thanks for posting it by the way  ^f^
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline MarieMJS

• Happy, Happy, Joy
  • Alma Jr.
« Reply #506 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:02 PM »
OOoooh yeah that was absolutely right to do that, I should have thought about it, I just put it in the general news, ahaha *doh dumb moment*...
I realise now that people have talked about it here already, geez I have so much to catch up with :)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #507 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Don't worry hon' just the gesture of posting the article was very kind of you, I know members here will appreciate it... a lot!  :)
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline MarieMJS

• Happy, Happy, Joy
  • Alma Jr.
« Reply #508 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:13 PM »
Aw thanks, I love this place already, people are so nice(I know it does sound cheesy, but after 10 years on the internet, I can say it's not often we are treated that nicely :)) Can I give you a random virtual hug? :)

oh and other news, I just read that :

"In what was arguably the most touching moment of the day, actress Cate Blanchett took time out to honor her friend and fellow Aussie Heath Ledger at the 2008 Independent Spirit Awards on Saturday afternoon.

Accepting her award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in "I’m Not There", which also starred Heath, a very pregnant Cate ended her thank-you speech by honouring Heath, calling him “one the most beautiful, independent spirits of all” before dedicating the award to him.
Always a woman of class. Today was no exception."

Source : fadedyoutblog.com through the fashion spot :)

Cate is absolutely fantastic, just one of the best actresses out there!!

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #509 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:15 PM »
Don't worry hon' just the gesture of posting the article was very kind of you, I know members here will appreciate it... a lot!  :)

Yes, MarieMJS, merci beaucoup! I am grateful that you posted it. And welcome!  #$#

Please don't worry, this is a very friendly place.

I look forward to reading more posts from you.

:ghug: :c) ^f^