Author Topic: ennisjack.com Newsletter Archive, October to December 2007  (Read 8791 times)

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
ennisjack.com Newsletter
September 24 - October 7, 2007

Hello brokies,

Following our survey on the frequency of the Forum's Newsletter it will now be coming to you bi-weekly.
The next Newsletter will be October 7 posted live from the Maryland gathering.

We would like to welcome keren_b as a new moderator to the forum, keren_b has been a member with us since March 5, 2006.

I became an editor of the Newsletter two weeks ago so please bear with me while I become accustomised to this role.

Please enjoy yourselves and will see you in two weeks,

Asali   

Forum Maintenance

It is time again for the forum's monthly maintenance and backup. In order to do it properly, the forum will be "off line" for a short period of time.

Here is the maintenance schedule:

September 26

Pacific Time, 8:00pm
Mountain Time: 9:00pm
Central Time:  10:00pm
Eastern Time:  11:00 pm

September 27

United Kingdom:  4:00am
Western Europe:  5:00am
Central Europe:  6:00am
Taiwan: 11:00 am
Australia (Sydney): 1:00pm

If you experience any problem or you want to provide feedback,  please report them here.

Italian Get Together 2007

Started by Tizi17 on September 23

Hey to all of you...

I have the great pleasure and honour to open this new page to the story about the Italian Get Together.... what by itself is a curiosity, since I am Austrian...
but we could have called it a little EGT, since we had the great honour to welcome also members from the French thread...

.. but let me start from the beginning... I am sure many many pictures will follow the next days, and many posts, too..
Since most of the participants are still on their way home - I do the opening...

ITALIAN GET TOGETHER 2007
Lago di Braies / Pragser  Wildsee
Südtirol/Italy
20.-23.9.2007

What is it about Meetings?
People who have attended to one know exactly what I am talking about...

What do you need?

A bunch of wonderful, warm hearted and a bit crazy Brokies...

Androclo - Italy
Dodolea - Italy
FredpetitFée - France
Mars - Italy
MaxHim - France
Stephan - France/Italy
Tizi - Austria

Click here to go the thread.

Brokies Get Together

Meet On The Eastern Shore Of Maryland

Salisbury, MD

(logo of the Maryland Gathering t-shirt)

Last Call! In two weeks during the Colombus Day week-end, October 5 - 8 2007.  In  Salisbury Maryland BBBOY will be the host,  some hotel rooms are secured and there is still place available.  Click here to go to the thread.

For the ones who will be attending the Maryland gathering in Salisbury, please post here
your time/date of arrival and if you could share a hotel room.

Supper's on the Stove - No More Beans in Maryland, let's talk about some food situation and no, there's no plan to kill an elk but we'll have a blue crab fest.  Click on the picture below to go to the thread.

NEW! More Occasions to Meet Brokies NEW!

Annie Proulx Scheduled to appear on October 5 in NYC at the New Yorker Festival.

Started by Ethan on September 15

Annie Proulx will be appearing on Friday, October 5 at "The New Yorker Festival" in New York City.

Details here:

http://festival.newyorker.com/fri_event_list.cfm

Friday night, October 5

"Junot Díaz and Annie Proulx

Junot Díaz was born in the Dominican Republic and grew up in New Jersey. He is the author of the short-story collection “Drown” and the novel “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao,” which is out in September; part of both books first appeared in The New Yorker. He is the recipient of an American Academy of Arts and Letters Rome Fellowship in Literature. His most recent New Yorker story, “Wildwood,” appeared in the June 11th & 18th Summer Fiction Issue.

Annie Proulx won a pen / Faulkner Award for Fiction for her first novel, “Postcards,” and a Pulitzer Prize and a National Book Award for her second novel, “The Shipping News.” She is the author of the story collections “Close Range: Wyoming Stories” and “Bad Dirt: Wyoming Stories 2.” Her story “Brokeback Mountain,” which appeared in The New Yorker in 1997, received an O. Henry Award and a National Magazine Award and was the basis of the Academy Award-winning film by Ang Lee.

7 p.m. Cedar Lake Dance Studios ($16)
    547 West 26th Street

Click here to go to the thread.

An Evening With Ang Lee on November 9 in New York City

Started by Ethan on September 21

An Evening with Ang Lee, Friday, Nov. 9, 7pm

AN EVENING WITH ANG LEE AND JAMES SCHAMUS
The Times Center 242 West 41st Street, Manhattan

Academy Award-winning director Ang Lee and his longtime collaborator James Schamus have over the course of fifteen years made films including the current Lust, Caution; Brokeback Mountain; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Ride with the Devil; The Ice Storm; Sense and Sensibility; Eat Drink Man Woman; and The Wedding Banquet. The evening will include clips from their movies, a conversation, and remarks by actors they have worked with over the years.

Tickets will not be mailed to you, they are available for pick up at the venue one hour prior.
Free for Sponsor-level members and above. Call 718-784-4520.

Non-member $25.00

http://www.movingimage.us/site/screenings/index.html

Anyone interested in coming for the weekend in NYC? I know I am definitely going.

Rendezvous in Wisconsin, May 2- 5, 2008

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

May 2 -5 2008, Jerasjr will be the host in Eau Claire, WI.   Click  here to go to the thread.

Brussel's gathering - October 2008

Brussels, Belgium

Titabeille and her husband will be the hosts from October 1 to October 7 2008 in Brussels, click here to go to the thread.

New Threads

Started by Tony on September 9

Most of us love BBM because it tugs at the heart of anyone who has a heart.  And there is a central theme of love being universal as a force
that can't be boxed in.  But am thinking several of the passages point also to the issues of change and redemption.  Did anybody notice that
early on, there was a scene where Jack carries a lamb across a stream, almost like the Good Shepherd?  I don't think it was an accident.  Ennis
was someone paralyzed by emotional repression and he was, basically,doomed.  Then there is the ending, where a battered, weary Ennis is
challenged by his daughter to commit---to go to her wedding.  He makes a sudden decision- he will commit.  And then that is followed by the
haunting ending--"Jack....I swear...".  Maybe not in the SS, but in the movie, it seems to me that Jack taught him HOW to love, to break free
and in that sense, his love for Ennis was redemptive, changing Ennis into someone who could finally risk--commitment.
    Another way of putting this is--what would have Ennis have been had he never met Jack?  The divorce from Alma was going to happen
anyway.  And after that--no place else to go.  There are many layers to this movie, but I think the last scenes do point to the love having
been redemptive.  As in, Jack left him grieving, for the rest of his life, yes, but not spiritually and emotionally dead from the lonely childhood
and the shallow posing of men proving they are men by not loving.  Is this going to get me excommunicated as a "Brokie"? Saying there is
another central theme besides love between two men?  And by redemption, I do mean just that--saved from the hell of a life with no meaning.

Link:  Ennis & Jack-change and redemption

Started by goblondie on September 14

Like some of you know I live in Faroe Islands a part of Denmark, they have their own language which I started to learn.

In our class we just read a short-story called Ismal, the story is very similar to BBM, just that it was written many years ago.But the story is almost the same, to men Ismal and Tyrel are together on a fishingship the become very good friends, Ismal is a common farmer and Tyrel is more sensitive man also he is playing the violine. When the get home they seperate but Ismal says that Tyrel is welcome to come and work on his farm with his other staff, and a few years later Tyrel shows up with his violine, for some years the people on the farm live happy  with work, Tyrels violin playing and stories every evening. But Ismal knows that some day this youth or happy days has to end,he has to find a wife and settle down.The tradition and society says so, him and Tyrel cant live like this forever.
He finds a wife and marries and on his wedding night Tyrel shots himself.

I think the story is very similar to BBM, and also i think Tyrel and Jack are very similar.
Then I ask myself and you,why are people like Jack and Tyrel going to die? and what does their death symoblise?

Also what does it mean that both of them are playing istruments Jack(mouth organ) and Tyrel (violin)??

Link:  The meaning of Jacks dead and...

Started by lightnin flat  on September 15 

When ennis met cassie i believe it was 1978 because the next scene was jack and laureen at the dance with randell and lashawn and the banner on the wall said 1978.             

Last scene jack and ennis together i believe was in 1982 jack says to ennis all this time and you aint found no-one else to marry, ennis says i been putting the blocks to a good looking girl over in riverton.       
   So by what ennis is saying this is the first time he had told jack about cassie wich i find strange as it seems ennis went out with cassie for four years.   

Also when ennis said it would be nov before i can come out here again.Jack said what the hell happened to august then ennis said i cant quit this one and i cant get the time off  it was hard enough getting this time.

The trade off WAS august so ennis is talking as though august has passed so what august is jack talking about cant be august the following year, surely they would,nt have gone all that time without seeing each other.
                    Any ideas to clarify the dates and times . :t)

Link:  1978 --1982

Started by babytammy7 on September 19

As I said, Ennis probably would be more loving 'cause he learned how to love, how to be more tolerant, more understanding, less paranoid. He learned that if he was loving somebody he have to show him that love, and not hiding it to him as he did with Jack. He learned that perhaps he have to say I love you in any time. He learned that it were better if he let people loving him instead of pushing them away; but surely he still would be afraid of being killed, or at least, being insulted and rejected for being gay.

Link:  Had Ennis really changed his way of living if Jack's death were a mistake?

Started by tpkomodo on September 22

Saw these photos from a fan from a China BBM Forum, he went to the actual location to take the photos, really nice place!

Check them out!  O0 O0

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22276655@N00/page2/

Link:  The actual location in movie (Flickr)

Quotes

Posted by crabtreeblue on September 15

There's an organization that started a petition to get a million signatures to allow gay marriage.  Here's how I found out :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cnzNVv5l1Ig

www.millionformarriage.org

Link:  DiscussingGay Issues From Around The World

Posted by myprivatejack on September 21

I love this place,that is almost new for me still after two months,because I´ve discovered,in a more shellfish sense,that I´m not alone in feeling an never-ending love for a movie,what made me feel I was a little "disturbed" :i.And in a more general sense,that there´re still sensible,sentimental,fair and friendly enough persons who make you feel comfortable even in this so inhuman world and even in a virtual way somehow...To write here while I´m getting to know all of you is one of these things that make you feel illusion and strenght enough as to see daily routine in a nicer way.And I only can say THANKS¡¡¡.

Link:  Why I love this place

Posted by Lamusica on September 23

To me, it's as if there are no words in the vocabulary to express the feelings this movie brought forth.  It was as if a veil of sadness had descended over me.  I couldn't get it out of my mind.  There was a feeling so tangible, I could almost touch it, but still couldn't name it.  To this day, I'm not sure what it was.  Certainly, it was similar to depression in some ways -- also to grieving.
I have been mighty sad after seeing other movies, such as Cold Mountain, but I was able to put the movie out of my mind at will.
Not so with BBM.  Nothing could pull me from under the cloak of emotions with which this movie covered me.
I started looking for reactions from other people around me, but none of them seemed to be affected by the film at all -- some even disliked it strongly.  So, I went to the Internet where I finally found some other people who recognized the film's value as art.  However, it was not until I found ennis/jack.com that I found folks who really understood me because they, too, had similar experriences.  This forum has been therapeutic, certainly,  but even more than that.  It is a place for kindred spirits.  We may not always agree on the finer points of the ss, sp, or film, but we all share that deep love for the whole project, start to finish.  This holds us together.  I hope we're together for many years to come.

Link:  PBS (Post Brokeback Syndrome)

More from the Toronto International Film Festival

About I'm Not There
Posted by smilesalot on September 13

Excerpts:
I have to say, straight out and this is not a criticism: this is not an easy movie to watch. Not because of the characters or the direction per se. More because of the structure and the dream like quality and some of what Todd Haynes referred to as "Fellini like" photography. I was woefully unprepared for what I saw, and that's a criticim of myself, rather than the film. It was very striking and incredibly intelligent and I wish I had the werewithal to read up on this film beforehand because I fear I missed some of the nuances.

I can see why the actors in it were drawn to the project. It was really well crafted and the concept was quite intriguing. Our main man was absolutely gorgeous. In one scene he makes that swoon-inducing throat clearing sound that just about melts the screen. And talk about melting... (t). Heath fans WILL DIE when they see one of his scenes. I had a hard time remaining conscious myself, and I'm a Jake girl!! But I certainly can appreciate, erm, good physique when I see it.  :*(

The other characters were fantastic, especially Cate Blanchett. When I first heard she was going to play one of the Dylan manifestations, I was very sceptical. Well she totally sold me and she is absolutely deserving of the acclaim she is receiving. The young man who plays Woody (Marcus Carl Franklin) was wonderful as well, absolutely charming, and he does his own singing in the movie...

...Btw, the screening we went to was the North American premiere of the movie. In attendance were Todd Haynes (Director), Christine Vachon (Producer), Marcus Franklin (Woody) and a few others. Todd made a few introductory remarks and said some thank-yous before the screening and answered a Q & A after the screening. If anyone has specific questions they'd like to ask myself or Missy about the movie, please feel free.

As for crowd reaction, I think many were as unprepared as myself. Although TIFF audiences tend to be fairly sophisticated, the more plebeian (like myself) might have had some difficulty grasping this concept. There was very little crowd reaction during the movie but there was respectable applause afterwards. Maybe 1/3 of the crowd left immediately after the movie and did not stay for the Q&A and we had to leave half-way through the last question because Missy had to catch a train. So we have no idea what the applause was like after the Q & A. I think many people will be divided in their assesment on this film (the reviews attest to this) but by and large it was a respectable offering by Heath.

The full review is here.

Meet the Authors

Fan Fictions are stories of the characters of Ennis and Jack from many authors others than Annie Proulx.  You could find more about this here. Warning!  Many of the stories have explicit sexual content.

This week and interview from LuvJackNasty with Booklovergirl (ImEnnisshesJack here on EJ) Author of: Once Was Lost; Return to Home and Fire and Ice.

Interview with Booklovergirl (ImEnnisshesJack here on EJ) Author of: Once Was Lost; Return to Home and Fire and Ice.

Are you a professional writer?

I don't consider myself 'professional' by any means, but I've written stories since the age of about 7...so that's 38 years! lol.

If yes, have you published anything and if so what?

Well, I have had a few things published. My love story with Heidi was one of the stories chosen for the "Beyond Brokeback" book put together by another forum. I wrote some stories for their newsletter also; I've had letters to the editor published in magazines and newspapers, and I wrote for my high school newspaper. I was also nominated for a writing award my sophomore year in college.

If no, What's your job in the ''real'' world?

Well, since technically I would say 'no', my real job is working in medical records for an office of 10 neurosurgeons.

What brought you to write about the characters of Ennis & Jack?

It's hard to say. I was so affected by the movie and the story, and the characters. Once I discovered "slash" and "fan fic" I was done. (I hadn't hardly ever heard of them before!) Once I got the idea for Once Was Lost I couldn't stop. But what I love is, these boys gave me back my creativity, which had been lost for over ten years. So I guess you could say those two handsome cowboys are my muses.

Are you writing Fan Fictions about other characters others than the ones from BBM?

Nope. I'm boring that way. If Ennis were a writer, he'd be me-- he'd just find his niche and stay there. LOL. I write about other subjects, but mostly non-fiction.

Is it sometimes difficult to deal with the critics and comments of your readers?

Not when it's a valid criticism. I love constructive criticism-- it really helps me become a better writer. People often pick up on the tiniest details in a story and it amazes me-- it would be something I would normally overlook. So, yes, that kind of thing makes me better, makes me see the story with a keener eye. But I did have to back off another forum b'c the sniping and backbiting got to be a bit too much for me. I don't have time for the politics of all this. I just want to write.
The forum here is wonderful; it's just such a welcoming, nurturing place.

If you could change one thing about the story/movie what would that be?

That's hard to say, also. The way both of them were written, and the way the film was shot and acted, just affected me so deeply, I'd almost hate to see anything changed. If I could change something, I guess it would be to not have Jack die-- but still have them stay apart for many years b'c of Ennis's fear; and then, when they were older, have them realize that it was all a waste of time and get back together for good. The only other thing I would change would be to have the film win the Best Picture Oscar. I think the loss of that was a major, major tragedy,  and shows the hypocrisy of Hollywood and how this country still has a darn long way to go in acknowledging gay people.

The discussion thread for her stories can be found here.

Pix with Poems

Posted by rick65 on June 20

Just This Summer

It seemed just right to take a break,
After watching, seeking, all alert.
So many hours wide awake
Really make your muscles hurt.

It seemed just right to rest our bones,
To speak, and get our thoughts in order.
So few things that either of us owns,
But I’d always give you my last quarter.

It seemed just right to hold your hand
Here in the cold, dark, soulless night.
To grab your palm, right where we stand
And with you wait ‘til break of light.

It seemed just right, our long embrace,
To show you just how much you meant.
Perhaps, soon, we’ll do it face to face
But for this I’ll surely never repent.

Link: Just This Summer

Hobbies

Brokies these days are doing something different to watching movies such as the craft below.

Posted by jerasjr on September 13

Recently learned how to make roses - here's my first efforts

Click here to go to the link.

How Did You Find/Know this Forum?

We are curious how and where on the web you found a reference about ennisjack.com.  Click on the picture below to share your story.

picture by bruxa23

In Your Words: an ennisjack.com retrospective

picture by bruxa23

If you are looking for gems, the best posts ever, we have a special thread where we have been collecting them.   Click here to visit it and see how it works. If you sometimes visit some old posts and one in particular appeals to you, please bring it to the Retrospective Thread.

Calendar for the next two weeks

September 24 - Birthdays: BayCityJohn (1), huntedon_lost (44)

September 25 - Birthdays: mulholanddrive (23)

September 26 - Birthdays: dr bill (44)

September 27 - Birthdays: beskyddaren (37), ilovecowboys (37), jgrizzxcore (14)

September 28 - Birthdays: Carmilla (44), LisaM (42), WyMe (43)

September 29 - Birthdays: Seregil (27), fritzkep (60), City Slickin' Cowboy (45), beamking (18)

September 30 - Birthdays: pennyT (32), Jeffster (46)

October 3 - Birthdays: supertrampdan (17), jerseygyllenhaalic (23)

October 5 - Birthdays: Jamie1981 (26), Event * Meet On The Eastern Shore Of Maryland – day 1

October 6 - Birthdays: Asali (51), lislis (51), racchelle (38), Event * Meet On The Eastern Shore Of Maryland – day 2

October 7 - Birthdays: Jack Nasty (17), Philchel (36), Event * Meet On The Eastern Shore Of Maryland – day 3

Member's levels updates

20 posts, Alma Jr.

ynnaf, September 12

100 posts, Lureen

trekfan, September 14
babytammy7, September 18
JAKELANDIA, September 19
midwest-girl, September 20
lightnin flat, September 21

200 posts, Alma

lil_dwarf_611, September 17
myprivatejack , September 20

Special achievements

September 10 - Titabeille, 5000 posts, BBBOY, 13 000 posts

September 13 - Kerenb, 6000 posts

September 14- Carbyville, 9000posts

September 15- City Slickin' Cowboy, 22 000posts

September 16- FredPtiteFée, 3000 posts

September 17- Bruxa23, 7000posts, Mars, 32 000posts, LuvJackNasty, 19 000posts

September 19- Androclo, 6000 posts

September 20- Christie Wood, 6000 posts

September 21- eric_idle_rules , 6000 posts

Congratulations to all!   :clap:

Got News or Ideas?

Please help the editing team by sending new items you think should be in the newsletter. Is there a post that really touched you? Do you have something that needs to be announced? Whatever you think would be good for the newsletter, please PM the editors or post them there:  Newsletter

Questions, Suggestions & Technical Issues

What's on your wish list for this board? Ask questions about the forum and report your technical issues Here too.

Archives of the previous Newsletter

Are you looking for the previous Newsletters?  Click on:  Archives

September 24 - October 7 2007, editors Asali & Chameau. Please PM us if you have any questions regarding this issue of the newsletter.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008, 05:30 PM by chameau »
"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: ennisjack.com Newsletter Archive
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2007, 05:09 PM »
ennisjack.com Newsletter
October 8 - 21, 2007

Well, it was a weekend of Brokie magic and love. The weekend started off with Ethan presenting Annie Proulx with a thank you packet that was put together on behalf of the members of EnnisJack. This was also the weekend of the Maryland Meet-Maryland Madness would be more appropriate, I suppose. ;)  New friends and old met up and did what we do best-talk, laugh, cry and share our love for our boys.

To read and see more about the meeting with Annie Proulx, clik on the picture below.

To see pictures, videos and more about the Maryland Madness, click on the picture below.

Have a great time!

LuvJackNasty

Happy Birthday!

Monday October 23 will be Ang Lee's Birthday.  If you want to send greetings, this is the address where to send them:

Ang Lee
   c/o Creative Artist's Agency
   9830 Wilshire Blvd.
   Beverly Hills CA 90212
   USA

New Threads

Posted by myprivatejack on Sept 22
My dear compatriot Babytammy has told me to post a thread about what social repercussion has BBM got in our different countries-it could have a chain with the other thread,"Homophobic allusions to BBM" somehow-;and,linking with this,we can make a study about how is seen homosexuality in general in these same countries,then.We can speak about not only people´s reactions,but also state of laws in questions as marriage,children´s adoption,etc.,and gay rights also in general.We think it would be interesting to see how different cultures see the question and apply this way of seeing it in daly life.Now it´s your turn,if you want to.
Link: How do they see homosexuality in different countries,mainly after BBM?

Posted by lightnin flat on Sept 23

I got this idea from the donnie darko thread someone said they wanted to make a observation but it wasnt worth starting a new thread.cant remember who said it .

So i thought it might be a idea to do that here something you observed in the film but doesnt warrant a whole new thread . What do you all think?

I have quite a few but i will start with three.
              Have you noticed how jack and ennis have progressed from sitting on logs in 1963 and 1967
                to folding chairs at their last meeting     

The fly on ennis.s right cheek when he is standing face to face with jack in the confrontation scene.

After the FNIT in the morning  jack comes out of the tent that is the only time throughout the whole film that jack HAS NOT got his shirt tucked in his jeans. hmm
Link:  scenes of observation

Posted by Jackster on Sept 25
Did anyone notice that a new online record was set last Friday, Sept 21st?

"Most Online Ever: 194 Sept 21, 2007 at 11;27 AM"

&**)  &**)  &**)

Gee, I guess no one was workin' that day  ::)

Congratulations to our fearless leader, founders, moderators and all, this is a great achievement. I believe the last online record was set sometime back just after the release of the film. Things just keep getting better.
Link: A NEW RECORD !!??

Pix with Poems

Posted by lil_dwarf_611 on September 25

My 1st BBM Poem:

Jack's Poem

Mountain air
A summer breeze
Of good ol' times
And the sweetest dreams

You take my head
And my breath away
But why then
Can you never stay?

You live your life in denial for the truth
Witnh your soul behind your hat
And I'm wanting to know
Am I worth it to you, or just "that"

A gentle embrace is all I need
No words, no sounds, no running sheep
Just you, me, and this summer breeze

...Forever

Link:  Jack’s Poem

Quotes

All the following quotes are from the same thread.  Was it because of the full moon? Many Brokies got for sure Post Brokeback Syndrome (PBS) real bad lately...  :-\\

Posted by Kemmer on September 27

BTW...Tonight is a full moon, the 20th since I read the BBM short story.  Each full moon, I stand out on my patio with a cigarette and recite the "mantra" ...Thought he'd never had such a good time.  Felt he could paw the white out of the moon.   :\'(

Posted by Flwrchild on September 27

Excerpt:
...Sometimes I throw myself into other things, positive things, to take my mind off of it (pbs). But sometimes I need to wallow in it awhile, cry it out, and start fresh. I don't know why, but it is somewhat cleansing.

Other times, of course, it just jumps out at you from nowhere and you never see it coming. A song, a phrase, a picture. And you're left feeling like a freight train ran right over you.

This week, it's been a little of both.

Posted by chameau on September 29

I could only quote and second this post, this is the story of my (Brokie) life.  :-\\

About the video links, I have been avoiding them for a while, got some experiences of earing songs in public places I associated with some videos and just couldn't make it but cry... Against All Odds is one of them.

Posted by proulxfan on September 30

I'll second Cham on this one. Thank you for expressing this so well and so concisely.

It's those "out of nowhere" experiences that pose the biggest problem for me; they often hit at times or in places where I am with others or in public, and it is a tad embarrassing to be teary eyed and snuffling, let alone trying not to sob outright.   :-\\

posted by ksxks on September 30

Me, too, cham.  Hearing any of the songs with which BBM vids have been made, when I'm out in public, it just puts me in another world of my own inside.  They make my heart feel raw and hurting, but I like the feeling -- if "like" is the right word.  I'd rather have that, than not be moved...

kathy

Link:  PBS (post brokeback syndrome)

Jake on TV

Posted by CrimsonSky on September 28
Fantastic news for all us Jake fans in the UK: Jake is going to be on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross on Friday the 12th of October

http://www.offthekerb.co.uk/artists/artists_tvradioe3ff.html?artist=jonathan
 &**) &**) &**) &**) &**)
I can't wait to see this, Jonathan Ross is so funny and I can really see him bringing out Jake's sense of humour! It's gfoing to be great to see him on TV again whoever's interviewing him, but JR is the perfect choice imo :)
Hopefully Jake will be making more TV appearances while he's here, so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled(as I'm sure we all will) &**) 

Link:  Jake TV Alerts (post em all in here)

How long will your fascination of Brokeback last?

More quotes for one single thread posted oever the last two weeks.

I suppose its like saying how long is a piece of string that could be never ending. 
                                  Just like the fasination with BBM the same as the string never ending.     
                                                    But thats fine by me.
                                                                                    <^(

I think it will last as long as we can feel moved by a beautiful landscape, a sunset,people in love,the beauty of nature,a love´s song...And as long as we can feel exasperate for intolerance,injustice,stupidity,lack of understanding,people who can love each other fully... :\'( It´s to say:as long as life lasts.IMO.

Brokeback is more than just a fascination to me, so this question really does not apply.

I understand many others watched the movie and felt changed by it, and the "novel" idea of dignified but tragic love between two men became a fascination.

For me, the movie is sublime, truthful, and transcendent; watching it lifted me to a higher place that I hope will always be with me. It is not a fascination, but a way of life ... living a simple, honest, caring life.

Many others have already eloquently spoke of the power of the movie and the finesse of its production, the flawless direction, production, acting, soundtrack, cinematography, ...

There is a thread to support Brokeback Mountain to be listed in AFI's top 100 movies.

To me, Brokeback Mountain will always be the timeless sublime movie that is true to life, honest to the point of painful reality, and created with a sensitivity and appreciation for beauty that is supreme. Watching it again and again, I find more poignant telling of the story in the smallest actions and detail in each scene, and feel more strongly, and am lifted higher with each viewing.

The film liberated me to live and love like never before. Isn't that what living and loving suppose to be? I am not fascinated by Brokeback Mountain. It is part of me now.

Let me add my welcome to you Lance.  As memories and emotions generated by the film a year and a half ago begin to fade in the common mind, this site remains and has been welcome home for me, who lives in no doubt that Brokeback Mountain changed my life and will remain close to my heart forever.

Brokies Get Together

Meeting in New York City - November 9 - 11

A few brokies are meeting in NYC for an evening event with Ang Lee and James Schamus. Want to join in, huh?

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

May 2 -5 2008, Jerasjr will be the host in Eau Claire, WI.   Click  here to go to the thread.

Brussels, Belgium

Titabeille and her husband will be the hosts from October 1 to October 7 2008 in Brussels, click here to go to the thread.

We are curious how and where on the web you found a reference about ennisjack.com.  Click on the picture below to share your story.

Collage by bruxa23

In Your Words: an ennisjack.com retrospective

Collage by bruxa23

If you are looking for gems, the best posts ever, we have a special thread where we have been collecting them.   Click here to visit it and see how it works. If you sometimes visit some old posts and one in particular appeals to you, please bring it to the Retrospective Thread.

October 8 - * Meet On The Eastern Shore Of Maryland – day 4

October 9 - Birthdays: Paul (35), nussy (22)

October 11 - Birthdays: Sassenach (21), emsy11 (31)

October 12 - Birthdays: justlikethisalways (47), trekfan (45)

October 13 - Birthdays: love_bbm (29), tiffany331 (32)

October 14 - Birthdays: dk_psy (24)

October 15 - Birthdays: Keldara (21)

October 16 - Birthdays: Big Dan (59), bleedinghearts13 (19), cowboyfangirl (19)

October 18 - Birthdays: jetzenpolis (53), chefjudy (49)

October 19 - Birthdays: VodkaDunhill (19), maria1 (38)

Member's levels updates

20 posts, Alma Jr.

planetgal471, September 21
Tony, September 25
dumbassmule, September 28
lancecowboy2007, October 1
dontwanttosayGB, October 6

100 posts, Lureen

LanceCowboy2007, October 5

200 posts, Alma

lightnin flat, October 2

Special achievements

September 27:  Rosie, 7000 posts

October 1:  Mars, 43 000 posts

October 2:  welshwitch, 6000 posts

Congratulations to all!  

Got News or Ideas?

Please help the editing team by sending new items you think should be in the newsletter. Is there a post that really touched you? Do you have something that needs to be announced? Whatever you think would be good for the newsletter, please PM the editors or post them there:  Newsletter

What's on your wish list for this board? Ask questions about the forum and report your technical issues Here too.

See you in two weeks!

October 8 -21 2007, editors Chameau & LuvJackNasty. Please PM us if you have any questions regarding this issue of the newsletter.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2007, 11:33 PM »
ennisjack.com Newsletter
October 22 - November 4, 2007

Dearest Brokies,

It has been ages since I last wrote an intro for the newsletter. And since then, more brokie meetings were organised, hundreds new members joined ennisjack.com and thousands of posts were written.

This community is stronger than ever...thanks to our amazing members and moderators.
Just reading new comments, seeing how some of us are still deeply touched by the story and movie makes me realise how important ennisjack.com is to all of us.

Whereas it is Brokeback Mountain, fanfic, Heath or Jake that brought us together...I am glad it did.

My name is Froggy and I am an ennisjack Brokie!

Forum Maintenance

It is time again for the forum's monthly maintenance and backup. In order to do it properly, the forum will be "off line" for a short period of time.

October 24

October 25

Australia (Sydney): 1:00pm

If you experience any problem or you want to provide feedback,  please report them here.

Quotes

Posted by Carmilla on October 5

This forum fills me constantly with joy and also wonder, how on earth is this possible that such a warm place full of understanding, acceptance, support, caring and love exists! I’m not very active on the forum, and sometimes I’m away for a while, but it doesn’t matter. Every time I have this very welcoming and homely feeling when I log in. Couple of years ago I couldn’t even imagine something like this. We all have naturally our private lives outside the forum with earthly sorrows and joys, and it is not necessary to share everything, but you know you can do it if you feel the need. I have been very lonely in my life and wondered what’s the matter with me, but I have realized there is nothing wrong with me. Many of my friends just happen to live far away geographically!

Two of my colleagues at work know a little bit more of  my  BBM addiction/ passion , and they have followed how things have  proceeded. One of them said to me, that this is almost unbelievable, like some kind of angelic guidance or whatever. They have been very supportive towards my travels and urgent needs to have spare time in certain times, and taken care of my family, in other words my cats, when I have been abroad.

Posted by Jerasjr on October 7

It's kind of funny, but have been "hampered" from posting this morn by a cat who wants to rest and purr on my shoulder and then I thought:
Isn't that the simplest of wants, to be held by others, to be in touch, in contact...
and to be so sure of that contact, that we lay back and purr our contentment.
That is what we have on this forum - to be held "figuratively" by all of those that we come in contact with, and to be so sure of that connection that we literally purr.  And we are able to come back time and again, knowing that it will be there whenever we need it - and we will be there for whoever else needs it.

Posted by proulxfan on October 8

Ethan and Michelle,

We just got back and unpacked from Salisbury, and the first place I went was this thread.

I'm so verklempt!! :\'(  I was there among the group huddled around the various fired-up laptops, but until I got home and saw this for myself, I didn't quite grasp the magnitude of what you did there in NY.

The only thing I can possibly add is that I hope you will pause for a minute, feel the love and thanks you expressed to AP, and then go find a mirror and send yourselves back the same message and feelings from all of us.

Ethan, you provided the spark that brought this community of bewildered and hurting souls together, and you continue to tend it with obvious loving care. Thank you and tears are not enough indeed!!

Michelle, your letter so well expressed what I would have wanted to say, that I echo Larry McMurtry's comment that after reading Annie's story, his first thought was that he wished that he had written it himself. I know how he felt!!

Many, many blessings to both of you!!

Link:  Meeting Annie Proulx in New York City, October 5, 2007

Posted by lancecowboy2007 , on October 10

The freedom to be yourself, isn't that the definition of friendship? With friends, you can be yourself, without fear of ridicule, or being laughed at, of being put down or hurt.

With friends, you feel accepted, enlightened, protected. That's how I feel in this forum, and I believe, how the people felt in the meet, whether in Maryland or Seattle, Paris or London.

Brokeback Mountain brought together all of us. I can't imagine ever voluntarily leaving this warm embrace. Someone will have to tear me away by force, physically. No coercion nor threats would be able to convince me that anything else is better than this. In spite of the bittersweet pain of PBS, the sadness and the longing, it is better than the emptiness, the meaningless dull existence of living without love. I just wish someone would invent a light weight wireless gadget so I can be on the forum while outdoors. No, I don't want just a laptop. I want one that's wearable and workable while I am walking around the seawall, watching the sunset, ...

Link:  How long will your fascination of Brokeback last?

New Threads

Decent People United - Thoughts from EGT Eastern Shore of Maryland

Posted there are the toughts of the Brokies who attended the Salisbury Gathering.

Excerpt from LuvjackNasty's post on October 10
Okay Academy Award speech is over and onto some final thoughts. My mind drifted off today and I started to think of the boys and this whole experience- on and off of the forum. We all went up to that mountain because we needed something- for our boys it was work, for us it was healing. In both cases, something so ordinary turned into something extraordinary- the unbreakable bonds of love and friendship. Unlike our boys, we are never forced to leave but can instead stay and play, laugh, cry and everything else for as long as we wish. They had no clue what that trip to Brokeback would lead to and neither did we. We came together as strangers and something beautiful grew out of that. And while we still have some healing left to do and tears to shed, it’s a great feeling to know that one never has to go it alone. The laughs and the silliness day to day and in Maryland were a celebration of life. A celebration of their love. I saw a picture in the store a few weeks ago and it simply said “Family: All because two people fell in love”. I don’t think I can say it any better than that.

Healthy love or unhealthy obsession

Started by lightnin flat on October 12   

I was just wondering what people thought on this subject.

Is it healthy to have a obsession or a love for something that isnt real.   
   or is the reason we love it so much because it takes us away from reality
   we all dream about things we want to do places we want to visit.   
    god we all need a bit of escapism I know this forum has helped a lot of people   
    and made people think differently towards lots of things wich is a good thing . 
      I myself come on here every day and look forward to discussing different issues.

You ever get the feelin' . . . .

Started by jackster on October 14

I’ve gone back and watched the 1978 camping scene where Ennis asks Jack about Lureen  (normal an’ all?) and then talks about feeling that people know about his sexuality (You ever get the feelin’ . . . ).  Jack then suggests maybe he ought to get out, move to Texas. This is generally seen as an effort by Jack to help Ennis move on with his life that is then somewhat rudely rebuffed by Ennis.

In watching this scene again several times and studying Ennis’s face and tenor, it strikes me that this is maybe the only place (in the movie) where we begin to see Ennis try and “open-up” about his sexuality with Jack. It’s obviously difficult for him to do, but I’m now seeing it as his way of trying to open up a dialog with Jack about being gay.

Jack’s response, though trying to be helpful, was off the mark and reflected to a degree his misunderstanding of Ennis’s inner turmoil and Ennis’s economic realities.

Much like the scene 15 years earlier on Brokeback, when Jack is breaking up camp and Ennis rides in, Jack responds to Ennis’s frustration with Aguirre with a suggestion of a loan. Missing entirely Ennis’s real turmoil, his heartbreak at having to leave his partnership on the mountain with Jack.

Anybody else see Ennis trying to open up his feelings here?

How do you see Jack?

Started by LuvJackNasty on October 16

In some recent posts/discussions in this part of the forum, it honestly surprised me to realize that Jack is sometimes perceived as some opportunistic character, insensitive, even weak. I guess I have always somewhat related to Jack, and his role as the catalyst for much of what happened in BBM. I love both Jack and Ennis and think that they both did the best they could with what hands they were dealt in life. As discussed in many of the older threads, Ennis and Jack were so complementary that it is hard to think of either one as deliberately or involuntarily taking advantage of the other. I would like to open the discussion here, and would appreciate your thoughts. Do you think Jack was an opportunist or just a guy trying to make the best of his life?

Meet the Authors

Fan Fictions are stories of the characters of Ennis and Jack from many authors others than Annie Proulx.  You could find more about this here. Warning!  Many of the stories have explicit sexual content.

LuvJacknasty interviewed Scarlettbaby~ Author of Serenity Falls, The Cabin, Father and Son, There's something About Jake, Ten things I hate about you and the occasional RPS that started on a train and may go on to the plane and the automobile if the inspiration strikes me.

No I'm not a professional

If yes, have you published anything and if so what?

If no, What's your job in the ''real'' world?

I work in an office spend my day interviewing applicants

The thing that brought me to write was the unbearable pain, the aching empty feeling that the movie left inside me.   I was in a kind of shock I think, still not entirely sure how that film managed to affect me so.   But I feel that in some way as the years go on I have grown a thinner and thinner skin, contrary to what I imagined might be the case growing older has left me with less protection, more vulnerable to the anguish that I perceive around me in the world that I can do nothing to to remedy.  but I feel that I can make it better for me and maybe a few others can make that terrible ending either mean more or not have happened at all, in some fashion.  More specifically still i began my first BBM story with an idea of how I could have made the ending different, after having read one BBM fan fic in particular.

Are you writing Fan Fictions about other characters others than the ones from BBM?

I am not currently writing fan fic in any other genre but i have done in the past and have four unfinished stories there.

Is it sometimes difficult to deal with the critics and comments of your readers?

Sometimes it is hard to know what to say specifically, I am always glad to hear what ever anyone has to say, and I know of course not every one will like what I do I absolutley  not.  If people spot errors or typos or well anything I want to know.  Although now I have beta readers (yay for my lil darlin, loveemboys and jtsbar all of you seriously pull my bacon out of the fire and really help me a great deal)   I don't think that is a problem.  and I always want  to hear what people think about characterisation or motivation, I can't always comment thought sometimes it just might give too much away if I did sometimes there isn't  much an author can say, if a reader doesn;t like the fact I've made Jack into a TV star or Ennis into a lawyer i can't really do much beyond sympathise and let it go, if i don't plan to make a major overhaul of the plot and revise chapters or abandon the story, then there's not much else to be done.  But i understand why readers want to have their say and I'm happy to hear what they tell me.  Yes sometimes you regret something but I don't think i could really say that in the midst of writing something unless I planned to abandon it.

If you could change one thing about the story/movie what would that be? (excluding keeping Jack alive... I think we all would change that if we could!)
If I could change on thing I think to would be that JAck was so blase about abandoning Bobby in the movie and OS both.

Pix with Poems

Posted by jessi last July 28

Fire Warmed

Fire warmed cocooned toes,
twenty of them together,
in boots hot to touch.

Fire warmed roaming hands,
two bodies, hearts together,
cold night hot to touch.

jessi

Link:  Fire Warmed

About Heath

Posted by keren_b on October 1

Okay, you have to read this one, it's totally amazing. It was posted on HLC on Feb 2006 but I've just found it and read it and was totally blown away. Back then, Theresa and Ingrid (another HLC member) had attended the BBM Q&A where Heath and Michelle talked in length about the filming of BBM and answered questions from the audience. There's a whole thread about it on HLC and I recommend you read all of it, but one post in particular - where Theresa describes in length the whole event and all the stuff Heath had said. He talks about the filming of the movie and about Ang's techniques, about the filming of a few scenes and about a certain deleted scene that didn't make it into the movie, and about how much the story and Ennis's character in particular meant to him, lots of wonderful stuff. I've got Theresa's permission to quote her here, but I still recommend you'll go over to HLC and read the whole thread because Ingrid told some great stuff too. Like the fact that after the Q&A Heath was on his knees on the stage signing autographs for fans and ignored the security people who kept urging him to go.

This is the link to the thread:

http://heathledgercentral.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=4147&st=0

Excerpt of Theresa's post on Heath Ledger Central
Most of the questions asked were asked of Heath. He was asked about why he chose to turn down the Jack Twist part (since it is very common knowledge that he chose to do so) and he said that after he read the working script he could connect with Ennis, he could feel his pain and seemed to instinctively know how Ennis would walk, talk and even breathe. He said it was very hard to explain but that he just knew. He said he couldn't feel that with Jack's role. He talked about the fact that he was at that point able to give Ennis life and a voice because of his own fears and anxiety. He said his agent really tried to talk him out of the role telling him it was too controversial and that it could cost him his career, but he said after he read the script that he realized that his agent was wrong and that those fears were the fears and trepedations of others not of him and that he had to do this role. He overrode Steve, his agent and took the role. He also said if he played Jack then he would have been acting, that with Ennis he wasn't. He said that he could actually be Ennis and give him life. He then shook his head and said you know it's just too hard to explain how I knew, I just knew. I also found out that Ang had decided on Heath from the beginning, Heath wasn't aware of this until rather recently.

Posted by keren_b on October 9

Heath had signed to play in a new Terri Gilliam movie called "The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus". It's a fantasy movie about a traveling theater group, and Heath apparently plays a drunk called Martin. If you want to read more check out this thread on HLC:

http://heathledgercentral.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=4140&st=0&#entry23587

Terri Gilliam is Heath's favorite director so he must be very excited...
Link: Various Articles/Interviews

About Jake

It was a big week for Jake, he made a lot of appearances in TV shows since he was promoting his last movie, Rendition, released in America and United Kingdom.

For the ones who are not living in U.K. the interview of Jake on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross was posted by CrimsonSky on October 12.

Well, at one point in the interview Jonathan told Jake it would be on YouTube - and so it came to pass! :) Next time, Jonathan, tell him he'll be in my bedroom!! >:D ;) ::) ;D

Part 1

Click here.

Part 2 (this may take a while cause it's only just uploaded, but keep trying and it should appear :)

Click here.

Enjoy!!! O0

Link:  Jake TV Alerts (post em all in here)

And talking about Rendition, many members had the opportunity to see it, and some more than once. ???

Click on the picture below to go to our Rendition thread.

Brokies Get Together Again

New York, NY

A few brokies are meeting in NYC for an evening event with Ang Lee and James Schamus. Want to join in, huh?

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

NEW! Oxford, England - June 2008 (organised by members of Dave Cullen forum) NEW!

Oxford, England

Started by thelastaerie on October 12

Hello everyone,

Fancy a pint of British Ale?  A little punting?  Have a good cry over your favourite movie (for the 100th time) with a roomful of equally addicted Brokies?   

Over at DC we are planning a get together in Oxford, England in June 20-22, 2008.  And ennisjack members are most welcome to join us!   In fact, the more, the merrier!    :)

If you're interested and wish to find out more, you can visit Brokeback Mountain, Oxford UK Bound! 2008 thread:

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=20185.0

The thread is, however, members only.  So you have to sign up to read it.  Alternatively, you can PM me for details.

Brussels, Belgium

October 22 - Birthdays: GayFred37 (53)
October 23 - Birthdays: freakintiger (17)
October 24 - United Nations Day, Birthdays: Koka (19), Chelita777 (24), thunder (28)
October 25 - Birthdays: sweetje (49), Holden Worther (15)
October 26 - Birthdays: The Monia 84 (23)
October 27 - Birthdays: ziedelis (27)
October 29 - Birthdays: unfoldshadow (29), Malle (20)
October 30 - Birthdays: Aela (35), BohemianRhapsody (106), Kazza (36), FredPtiteFée (39)
October 31 - Halloween
November 1 - Birthdays: pjf (49), Frankito (46), bellissimo (28)
November 3 - Birthdays: Umi_Slash (18)
November 4 - Birthdays: Liana (28) 

Forum's Achievement

We busted 600 000 posts on October 8!

Member's levels updates

20 posts, Alma Jr.

iamakashiMAN, October 11
ayashae, October 16
ImJackshesEnnis, October 18

100 posts, Lureen

dumbassmule, October 12
delvalmom, October 14

200 posts, Alma

Trekfan, October 12
lancecowboy2007, October 13
JAKELANDIA, October 13
Alec Scudder, October 16
jessi, October 21

Jack,500 posts

jackster, October 20

Ennis,1000 posts

MaxHim, October 20

Special achievements

October 11:  Chameau, 22 000 posts

October 12:  City Slickin' Cowboy, 23 000 posts

October 14:  Tizi17, 5000 posts, Mars, 44 000 posts

October 15:  Tpe, 33 000 posts

October 20:   dodolea, 5000 posts

Congratulations to all!  

Got News or Ideas?

See you in two weeks!

October 22 -November 4 2007, editors: Asali, Chameau, Froggy, Keren_b, LuvJackNasty & Pierralex. Please PM us if you have any questions regarding this issue of the newsletter.

Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2007, 12:42 PM »
ennisjack.com Newsletter
November 5-18, 2007

Dear Brokies,

It has been a while since I wrote to you in the newsletter. As the forum approaches its two years anniversary (yes 2 years), the forum has evolved significantly. Please let me take this opportunity to share some changes and ask for your help to make this forum as enjoyable and organized as possible.

1. Private Messages - With your support and help, the forum has grown exponentially. It's growth makes the forum increase in size as seen in backup file during our monthly maintenance. The mod team is happy to report that all the content since the forum's inception are still intact and have been kept to this date for all of us to cherish and reflect. However, to keep the size of the forum manageable, we request that from time to time you delete private messages in your inbox and outbox that you don't need to keep. It will really help the forum tremendously and we can continue to keep the important content. The least change we want to make is to impose a limit on the number of private message or start deleting the content to make the size manageable.

Unfortunately, there is no option to export the PM and save them on your computer. If you'd like to keep all messages, you could set an email PM notification. You can do so in the profile setting and modify "personal message options." In the field of  "Notify by email every time you receive a personal message:" make your selection to "always." Please note that the email you receive is a notification. If you reply to the email notification, it will not be sent to the intended recipient. You will need to log on to the forum and reply the message. Also, I encourage you to communicate via email with friends you have made from this forum.

2. Nudity Images - The mod team recently revised a policy pertaining to nudity images. It was a complex issue and not an easy discussion for reaching a consensus because of our diverse views on nudity. However, our primary concern is the accessibility to all age groups and protection of this forum. For these reasons, the mod team requests that you do not post images of nudity, either front or back, in any form except famous classical artwork.

3. Paparazzi Shots and Manipulated Pix - As a friendly reminder, the forum will remove all images deemed to be paparazzi photos or manipulation of pics from actors/actresses. We understand many members are big fans of Heath, Jake and others. As supportive fans, let's respect them as who they are and not manipulate their pics to fulfill our fantasy. Collages are allowed of the Brokeback Mountain characters, and of each actor individually, but not of both actors mixed together. To maintain this level of respect, the forum also asks the members not to post paparazzi photos or photos that constitute a clear invasion of their privacy.

4. Quoting Pix or Posts - We understand that some pix/posts are worth quoting as references. When quoting them, especially large ones or long posts, please make a conscientious efforts to down size the pix or edit the posts as a courtesy to others. Excessive quoting or not down size the pix will slow down the browsing. For a tutorial of downsizing pix, please visit THIS THREAD

Here is the link to the complete guidelines.

I am sorry to bore you with house keeping stuff but they are important to keep this forum manageable and organized. If there is anything that the mod team can help, please let us know in this thread or send us PMs.

We thank you for your understanding and support and for making this forum as we envision it to be "Born from Their Love...Forever Bound by Ours."

Now here is the exciting part. A group of us will be seeing Ang Lee on November 9 in New York City. We will keep you updated.

Love, Ethan (Administrator) :^^) :ghug:

This is not an Editorial

The following article was writen by our dearest Papa Wolf, jerasjr.

The Journey

At some time, whether it was days ago, weeks ago or months ago each of us was moved to become a part of this phenomenon, this forum.  We probably joined for reasons as unique as each of us, but join we did.  And we talked, we chatted, we dissected, we proposed, we speculated – and we learned.  We learned, and listened, and took in the great bounty that is found here.  At times among the Silver Wolves we have discussed this feeling – that it is like a tapestry that is being woven as we speak, or a piece of music that is being composed, or that it is like finding a piece of a puzzle that we didn’t realize we needed.  And often we speak of being on a journey, a journey up the mountain.  Now we don’t know where that journey is leading us, but we are moving. And we are moving sometimes singly, sometimes hand in hand or arm in arm, but knowing that there is much still to be found, much to be explored and much more to be gained as we proceed. 
      We can thank Annie Proulx and Ang Lee and Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger for bringing us together in this place – but we have to acknowledge that it is each of us who is responsible for making this forum a place of caring, respect and dare I say love.  It reminds me of this short thought:
Do not walk in front of me, I might not follow
Do not walk behind me, I might not lead
Just walk beside me and be my friend.
It reminds me of the trek that has shown us that neighbors and friends can be found anywhere, and can be brought together by one simple act that impels us to say join us, join us in our circle, join us in this community that is strengthened by each of us sharing our thoughts, our feelings, our joys and sorrows; our customs, our festivals and celebrations; our languages, faiths and beliefs.  Join us on the journey.The Journey

Already One Year

BBM/ennisjack in Yahoo Time Capsule

Last year at this time ksxks (a.k.a. Kathy) noticed the project about the Yahoo Time capsule and made sure we, at ennisjack, would be a part of it, you'll see below some parts of this thread, once again thank you Kathy!  :^^)

Make Your Mark on the Future

How will you remember 2006?
How will the world remember it?

Join the online global community to capture the voices, images, and stories of our world in 2006. We're sealing the Time Capsule on November 8 and not opening it until 2020.

Be a part of history.

The thread is here.

Here is the final submission for the Yahoo Time Capsule, which I will submit later today.  I hope they don't come back and say we can't use banner because of copyright issues.  The final character count is 2985, with a 3000 limit, so we're pushing it.

kathy

The movie Brokeback Mountain touched us so deeply, we found our ways from far and wide to this on-line community to share feelings and heal wrongs.  We celebrate the people who gave life to Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist: Annie Proulx and Ang Lee, Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.  We celebrate Ennis and Jack, and we celebrate each other for creating a space for warm and spirited discussion of this beautiful and tragic love story and its thousands of facets, and the changes that the movie and our community have wrought in us.  We came together strangers and have become friends.

Click here to read the full post.

New Threads

OMG It's the same

Started by babytammy7 on october 25

Excerpts:
… I remember perfectly EVERYTHING about the film, every take, every face, every dialogue, every body, every clothes…..And sometimes I find enough brave to look at some of those beautiful pictures that you brokies posted here in this forum, so yesterday looking at several pictures of Ennis I noticed something very curious. I don’t know where I have to write it (“doubles meanings” where people are talking about clothing in BBM, “scenes of observation”…) so I decided to start a very little topic and if you prefer to lead me to another thread like MPJ did in “Ironic BBM” (thank you sweetie, what would I do without you?  %)) I’ll be ok whatever you want.

I was watching a picture of the campfire scene after the kiss reunion where Ennis is smiling…., happy!! That was so touching for me, so beautiful: Ennis happy!!! But later I saw a detailed picture of Ennis in the last confrontation scene, and then I saw it!!!  %&)

Brokies please correct me if I got wrong, but isn’t it the same jacket in both scenes? Both are corduroy, the collar are the same, and the swipes too, and in the confrontation scene you can see how old and worn the jacket is!!!! Oh, I’m so sorry but I don’t know how to post pictures here (sometimes I’m such a silly girl…), but I know you brokies can do it so well, so we can check the jacket. I’m absolutely sure that is the same jacket. And OMG POOR ENNIS……he was living almost in poverty……quitting jobs to see Jack, making child support payments, so he had to wear the same jacket for 16 years or so……. :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Happy Endings for Gay People in Fiction

Started by Edmund on October 29

First let me say that Brokeback Mountain for me was an incredibly touching and moving story, and the ending is part of what makes it so very powerful.  Although I've been reading lots of 'fix-it' fanfiction, since I don't want to leave Ennis all alone in his trailer ;), I wouldn't change the end of the movie for the world.

However, something I have really struggled with as a gay man is not only the lack of visibility of gay characters in fiction, or even 'negative stereotypes' - which I don't think are really all that prevalent - but just that I find, at the end of the story, the gay characters always end up alone, or unhappy.  Where's the simple love story where they ride off together into the sunset?

I grew up reading Georgette Heyer and paperback trash historical romances, where invariably at the end the main characters get married and live happily ever after.  As I've grown up, I've found it harder to read heterosexual romances because I find putting myself in the mind of a straight woman or man is difficult, it doesn't relate to what I feel myself.  Lots of books that aren't 'romances' have romantic subplots, and I find myself resenting the emotional response they evoke in me, because I feel like the emotions I feel in real life are ignored in our culture.  So book reading has kind of become scarce for me.  The closest I have gotten to the feeling of those old silly romances has been fanfiction, which ironically seems to be written mostly by straight women.  ::)

I would be interested to know what people think about this?  Do you feel the same?  As a straight person, was it difficult or weird for you to identify with Jack or Ennis?  Did you have to do any 'translation' to bridge the gap between your experiences and theirs?  Can you imagine a world where every book had a homosexual love interest, and the only straight love story was Romeo and Juliet, in which everyone dies alone?   ;D

So Brokeback Mountain for me was bittersweet, because although the story is so very moving, I've still not been able to see that happy ever after that I can identify with.

:(

Edmund

Anyone else find the final scenes comforting?

Started by lancecowboy2007 on October 31

I am curious to know if I am the only one in the world who, though crying through the scenes of Ennis finding the shirts, and living in the trailer alone, nevertheless, find the last few scenes after Ennis' return from Lightning Flat, comforting.

Some have said the movie's ending lack closure.

Others find it difficult to watch Ennis becoming a lonely old man.

I am just at a loss to relate to or understand those sentiments.

I also feel sad that Ennis lost his one true love, that Ennis missed twenty years of opportunities to live a sweet life with Jack, that Ennis will be alone except with his memories for a long time. Yet, at the same time, I feel good for Ennis to grow emotionally out of his shell, out of his fears, out of his loneliness because he is now forever with Jack in spirit, just as symbolized by Jack's shirt inside Ennis' shirt, so Jack's spirit is inside Ennis.

I feel for Ennis at the very last image, him caressing the two shirts, brushing the postcard with his thumb, tears in his eyes, but at the same time, he is no longer tortured by the fears of exposure, the fear of losing Jack, the fear of being caught with this feeling with no reins. He is free to be. Even without Jack physically, he has Jack spiritually. Isn't that something worthwhile? Even without the sweet life that they could have had, he still has a sweet life with the family that he left behind during those lost years. And his one daughter at least, still loves him very much. We don't know much about Jenny, but perhaps she too will grow with time and sense to learn to appreciate him.

I guess I grieved enough about death and separation to have lost the sense of its tragic finality.

Does ANY one else feel that the last couple scenes have SOME elements of hope and contentment for Ennis?

Is this why my PBS is not as severe, and long lasting?

Possible meeting in Las Vegas

Started by JT on November 2

I'm proposing a possible meeting in Las vegas in early April of 2008.  I don't have the exact dates yet but will post asap when I find out.  Let me know if this is a good time, or we can propose another time.  Sping is the best time of year and I don't recomend Summer.  Just want to see how many would be interested in coming.  As for the events, maybe we can spend a day at the Strip.  After all, this is Vegas.  Definately save a day for BBM and maybe a trip to one of the state parks.  I'm going to need help on ideas on what else we can do.  I've never host these events before so I will need advise period.

Seattle mini-meet

Started by dirtbiker on November 3

BBBOY and dirtbiker met in Seattle last week, click on the picture below to go to the thread.

Pix with Poems

Posted by frenchcda last August 15

Forgiven

Forgive me for they do not know
That my sorrow carries me
toward the tomorrows

That my grave is hollow
But his is in shallow ground
Here beneath a sole a mount

In the dark I feel we are far
Yet not apart in our hearts

That my cloak is made of his
Whispers embedded into my soul
Yet in the now he remains buried
Deep in the borrows of my mind

That I have forgiven them for all
The mayhem this cruel world caused
In what filled the void, once a solemn sanity

For I know of a love that lives
And will carry me an eternity

Forgive me no more
For my ship is soon to anchor
As it stand a breath not so far
From death and yet
In life, this love in it I rest

Lest I forget, in winter cold I become
Lost not knowing that he has forgiven me
To home one day we will be

Joeseph

Link:  Forgiven

Quotes

Posted by Kemmer on October 21

After experimenting with all kinds of picture/avatars I think I've settled for the one of the shirts, because they remain a symbol of so many things: painful separation, union of two tortured souls, remembrance, and a towering monument to love,  constructed of a few rags and buttons,  which stir the emotions better than the Pyramids.

Link:  Quiet Corner- Your Prose Collection

Posted by Jeffjoe on October 22

Maybe i love this place, more than i can believe, because i've always have love in my heart to give and this place is where that love is accepted, how couldn't love it

Link:  Why I love this Place

Posted by jackster on October 31

Hope, Contentment and the The Transformation of Ennis

Lancecowboy, a very insightful question here, IMO the last scenes show the arrival of Ennis’s transformation that has been evolving since we first see him standing all alone in front of Aguirre’s trailer before Jack arrives. IMO the major landmarks in this change have been marked along the way at these points or scenes, with aspects of his growth being show in (parentheses) – Just my views of course, everybody has their own special scenes.

“No more beans - orders soup” (friendship)

Shooting the elk (devotion)

“You wanna switch?” (commitment)

FNIT (lust)

SNIT (love)

“Bring ‘em Down” – “This ain’t no rodeo” (confusion)

Crying in the Alley (loss)

“You Bet” (longing)

“Come here” [the reunion kiss]. . . (passion)

“Just sending up a prayer of thanks” (self understanding)

“You ever get the feelin’ “ . . . (self awakening)

Bringing down the shirts (public coming out)

“Does he love you?” (sharing emotions)

“Jack I swear “. . . (self acceptance)

Each point marks a step, a step in the growth of Ennis to a fuller, or a more complete person. At the end we see Ennis transformed, the transformation may not be complete but it has made significant advancement. It is both sad and hopeful, both heartbreaking and inspiring. Jack is gone but the "complete" Ennis has taken his place.

Is the glass half empty or half full? I can see it both ways, depending on the day and my state of mind. To me this this is the beauty of great art, it can transform us while at the same time transforming itself, daily.

Link:  Anyone else find the final scenes comforting?

Meeting BBM Fan on October 31, 2007

Ethan and BBM  Fan met in New-York City last week, click on the picture below to see their pictures.

Brokies Keep Getting Together

New York, NY

A few brokies are meeting in NYC next Friday for an evening event with Ang Lee and James Schamus. Want to join in, huh?

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Oxford, England - June 2008

Oxford, England

The members on Dave Cullen forum are organizing a gathering in Oxford next June 20-22, 2008, click here to go to the thread.

Brussels, Belgium

Trick or Treat

Look what we got for Halloween...  :P This is Heath as The Joker in next Christopher Nolan's movie, The Dark Knight.

Click on Heath THE Joker to access our thread about The Dark Knight...  ??? Heath THE Joker. :)

PBS (post brokeback syndrome)

Brokies sometimes have the blues, we call it PBS (post brokeback syndrome) , you never know when it will hit you but it's real. Just hope it won't happen when you're in public.   :-\\

Posted by Tenn_Man on October 26

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, but have been reading comments on it and others for a few weeks.  I know I am very late in seeing the movie, in fact saw it in Sept. the first time and again earlier this month.  I have also read the book story (had to read the last story first, of course!) I have to say that BBM has moved me in a way nothing else has in my life. When I saw the term PBS, I knew it was ME!!  I Cry lots,and have the feeling someone is sitting on my stomach sometimes, and find that I review scenes from the movie or quotes from book and movie throughout the day. I find myself viewing life through the eyes of Ennis and Jack very often during the day. I start to choke up several times daily when my mind drifts back to the mountain, and it is difficult to hold back.   I started searching the internet for information on the whole BBM phenomenon and finally found a place with other people who had experienced what I am now going through.  I know it has taken me a long time to finally watch the movie, and for no other reason than I guess I just never realized it was as special as it is, and never heard much about it among coworkers or friends (being out of the loop in a rural area). I feel like I am at the train station, but the train left a long time ago, or the light from a distant star that I am just now seeing for the first time, though it was sent out eons ago.  Anyway,  I just wanted to say that it has helped me cope with these haunting feelings about the movie that I have been experiencing daily since seeing BBM. Thanks to everone! tenn.man

Link:  Tenn_Man

Posted by FlwrChild on October 27

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes just from reading a day's worth of PBS posts.  :\'(

It is amazing to me the wealth of emotions I feel from this experience, from the heartache of those opening lines in the short story to the celebration of Jack and Ennis's love, our grief over what they couldn't have, our love of the story with all its ups and downs, and then to this remarkable thing that is this forum, with all of the people that make it so special and the beauty that is conveyed through your posts.

I guess that's what PBS is to me. An opening into my heart where all of my feelings are exposed. And somehow it hurts me and sustains me all at the same time. Kind of like the boys did for each other, I guess.

<^(  :\'(   :ghug:

Link: FlwrChild

picture from Bruxa23

November 5 - Birthdays: mikewh99 (27)
November 6 - Birthdays: matt78 (29)
November 7 - Birthdays: NoReins (37)
November 8 - Birthdays: midnightxhighway (19)
November 9 - Birthdays: guyinjax (46), Events: * An Evening with Ang Lee
November 10 - Birthdays: bubbaluna (57), CrimsonSky (37)
November 11 - Veterans Day, Birthdays: BBM Fan (59)
November 12 - Birthdays: scarlettbaby
November 13 - Birthdays: THE WINGS (54)
November 16 - Birthdays: grando181 (22), Akoni (33)
November 17 - Birthdays: cybernaut (29), Allyce (17)
November 18 - Birthdays: enzino (45), EURman (38), stevehtx (53)

A New Forum Achievement

100 000 posts in the Silver Wolves thread on October 31.

picture from hpv

Member's levels updates

100 posts, Lureen

ayashae, October 29
sienna, October31

200 posts, Alma

babytammy7, October 27

Jack,500 posts

lil_dwarf_611 , October 24
myprivatejack, October 29

Special achievements

October 24:  Jerasjr, 13 000 posts

October 25:  love_bbm, 6000 posts

October 26:  LuvJackNasty, 22 000posts

October 29:  FredPtiteFee, 5000 posts

November 1: hpv, 7000 posts & Mars, 45 000 posts

Congratulations to all!  

Got News or Ideas?

See you in two weeks!

Picture from Bruxa23

November 5-18 2007, editors: Asali, Chameau, Ethan & LuvJackNasty. Please PM us if you have any questions regarding this issue of the newsletter.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2007, 03:42 PM »
ennisjack.com Newsletter
November 19 -December 2, 2007

Dear Brokies,

It is my pleasure to write again for this issue of newsletter. It has been a week since the reunion in NYC last week. Updates including photos and videos have been posted in the meet thread. I won't repeat in details here what went on but I invite you to visit and experience the moments.

Over the last few weeks, I had the opportunity to meet Annie Proulx, Ang Lee and James Schamus. Until now, I am still indulging myself in memories and trying to put my thoughts together. What made them extra special is not just the making of Brokeback Mountain but the group of Brokies united because of the movie. The forum had the opportunity to give each one of them in person a booklet containing posts from the forum and to thank them for what they have done. Because of the movie, we have shared our lives and bonded. To me, it is a blessing and a precious gift.

If I can sum up last weekend, it is to expect the unexpected. I didn't expect to have a gathering in NYC but Ang Lee event came along unexpectedly. I didn't expect many would have joined but a few of you just had to fly here from as far as Europe even if it was only for a few hours or a short weekend. I didn't expect the same opportunity as I had when meeting Annie Proulx but at the end many got their DVD/book including the pup tent signed by Ang Lee and James Schamus and had the opportunity to thank them.

I only expected the forum to last for a few months but it has lasted almost two years. Brokeback Mountain has sealed our fate. Finally, please let me share this Chinese poem by Su Shi and dedicate to this group of Brokies who I call "family." I can't wait for a bright full moon again.

Will a moon so bright ever arise again?
Drink a cupful of wine and ask of the sky.
I don't know where the palace gate of heaven is,
Or even the year in which tonight slips by.
I want to return riding the whirl-wind! But I
Feel afraid that this heaven of jasper and jade
Lets in the cold, its palaces rear so high.
I shall get up and dance with my own shadow.
From life endured among men how far a cry!

Round the red pavilion
Slanting through the lattices
Onto every wakeful eye,
Moon, why should you bear a grudge, O why
Insist in time of separation so th fill the sky?
Men know joy and sorow, parting and reunion;
The moon lacks lustre, brightly shines; is al, is less.
Perfection was never easily come by.
Though miles apart, could men but live for ever
Dreaming they shared this moonlight endlessly!
但願人長久

明月幾時有,把酒問青天
不知天上宮闕,今夕是何年
我欲乘風歸去
唯恐琼樓玉宇,高處不勝寒
起舞弄清影,何似在人間
轉朱閣,低綺戶,照無眠
不應有恨,何事偏向別時圓
人有悲歡離合,月有陰晴圓缺
此事古難全,但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

With much love, Ethan (administrator)

The Brokies in New-York

To see pictures and comments about last weekend's meeting in New-York, click on the picture below.

You will also find a video you can watch or download here.

Forum Maintenance

November 22

November 23

Australia (Sydney): 3:00pm

New Threads

Fear of Love.....The Fight on Brokeback Mountain

Started by Tony on November 5

Will start off this theme by pointing out that, whatever our personal opinions about the sexuality of Ennis and Jack, both of them defined
themselves as straight.  Rightly or wrongfully, that's how they saw themselves.  And there's something weird about straight guys-they can
have sex with each other as long as there's no love, and they can love each other as long as there's no...sex.
    Straight guys have always had sex with each other, whether in prison, or as drunken teen-agers experimenting.  Am not saying it's something
constantly going on, but, and I know this can be threatening to women and to gays, straight guys do have a history of fooling around.  With no
love.  Similarly, straight guys can love another male (although this differs from country to country) and never consider sex.
   Ennis and Jack had both, on Brokeback Mountain.  FNIT had just....sex.  They could have flipped it off as doggy-dog stuff.  But it went to
the second round....SNIT, with lovemaking....KISSING!!!!  They mixed the two and broke the code.  And they knew it.
  What I am moving towards, then, is a breach between the SS and the film.  The SS is, according to the author, about repressed homosexuality.
Am so over that, with reference to the film, because there, I really believe we see them comfortable, or comfortable enough, with their doings,
so long as no one else knew about it.  And for me, that means they entered into the mainstream of all great love stories, with the trauma there
being, always, who loved the most.
  And so to that eternal theme, fear of giving oneself, when not loved in return.  The fight on the mountain occurred after Ennis became withdrawn
and moody, while Jack was so very casual about them splitting up.  That fight may well have been rage as neither would admit openly to love.
Neither knew enough.  Jack didn't see Ennis retching with grief and rage.  And Ennis didn't know he was so loved, his very shirt had been stolen
as a treasure.

What If Jack Hadn't Slipped?

Started  by jackster last November 7

There are a lot of very interesting and serious threads going now. Here’s one that may be a little lighter and allow some interesting wanderings. A key element to the most critical scenes in the SS and Movie is Jack slipping during the wrestle match on Brokeback. He slips, knees Ennis in the nose and the blood flows over them and their clothing as Jack tries to comfort Ennis. This provides an extremely clever yet simple premise for Jack’s stealing the “blood-brother” shirt, and then later lovingly intertwining it with his own blood stained shirt. Damn, Annie is so good!

What do you think would have happened if Jack had not slipped? No bloody nose, (assuming they didn’t end up in fisticuffs) no symbolism for Jack to grasp. What would he have done? He surely still wanted some prize of Ennis’s, some scent, some remembrance, but what? Would he still have taken the shirt? I guess Ennis only had two shirts (we only see two) and he couldn’t have taken the one Ennis was wearing. Per the SS Ennis wore “no drawers, no socks, Jack noticed” (even though we see socks in the movie) so those are out. What’s the poor boy gonna do?

Anyone wanna’ do some dumbass guessin’?

Pix with Poems

Posted by jessi on August 16

Real

Somethin we got here,
got no words, them saying kind
but thing's real, damn real.

jessi

Link:  Real

Possible meeting in Las Vegas, Feb 29- March 3 2008

Las Vegas, Nevada

JT is proposing a meeting in Las Vegas at the end of February 2008, click here to go to the thread.  And please let us know if you want to attend this gathering.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

May 2 -5 2008, Jerasjr will be the host in Eau Claire, WI.   Click here to go to the thread.

There are two new threads about the Eau Claire gathering:

Rendezvous Attendees, post on this thread your dates/times of arrival/departure, if you could share a hotel room and if you're interested in renting/sharing a car.

Eau Claire Info page, all you need to know about the city, the hotel, etc...

Oxford, England

The members on Dave Cullen forum are organizing a gathering in Oxford next June 20-22, 2008, click here to go to the thread.

Seattle Summer 2008 Planning Stages

Seattle, WA - August 2008

It looks like Dirtbiker wants to see us again next summer, if you're interested click here.

Brussels, Belgium

Quotes

Posted by lancecowboy2007 on November 7

I feel embarrassed to keep thanking you all for your kindness. I wish there is a better way to show my appreciation for what this forum and all you people have done for me, to me. I guess only time will tell, if my love is actions, and not just feelings. It's been so long, though, since this kind of love has been in my life, that, I am sometimes at a loss, a little dazed, by the intensity and enormity of it. It's hard to put it into words, except to refer to what Ethan so powerfully put together when he described his experience with Annie. Those powerful images stay with me always, to remind me how much strength there is from this forum.

You people are the best. :ghug: <^( :^^)

Posted by City Slickin' Cowboy on November 9

Link: Make 'em Laugh

Posted by alexisg on November 12

Hey guys!

I know some of you from the FF threads, but along with a few other girls here, I work on Chelseagrin.  We've been putting up all the new videos and news relating to Heath and the Joker, so I hope you visit the news section there.  I pretty much update it daily. 

I just put up a new video and the beginnings of a longer article that will be published later in the week.  We certainly appreciate the support that everyone has shown to us as we work on the site, and hope we can be your go-to place for Joker news.

Anyway, our main news page is here: http://www.chelseagrin.com/news.htm

The video is the first news item.  And it looks like Heath may have a new tattoo!

Link:  Heath THE Joker

Posted by pierralex on November 15

Here is the new one, which is much better IMO. There is also more place for the icons.

Link:  Misc Pics

Meet the Authors

Fan Fictions are stories of the characters of Ennis and Jack from many authors others than Annie Proulx.  ;)

You could find more about this here.

Warning!  ???  Many of the stories have explicit sexual content.

This week an interview from LuvJackNasty with Scott6373 Author of “The Heart of the Matter”

No I am not a professional writer.  With the exception of some pretty bad poetry, I have never written anything of this magnitude before.

If yes, have you published anything and if so what?  N/A

If no, What's your job in the ''real'' world?   I am a professional singer.  Classical music 99% of the time, but if someone wants to pay me enough, I'll sing most anything (within reason  ;D  )

I had read several fan fictions, and always found them to be more self serving rather than illuminating.  Granted, they also served the purpose of keeping Ennis and Jack "alive" in our conciousness, and allowed us to continue our collective addiction to them, but they didn't go deeper into the lessons that Ennis and Jack's story meant to teach.  Not knowing if I could, I decided to take a stab at it.

No, I am not, nor do I plan on it, but you never know, maybe another story/film will come along that might inspire me.  I have found the whole process of writing in this form, exhausting and angst making.

No, not generally.  Most people are kind even their criticism.  I don't put myself out there as "professional writer" so, if someone's criticism is misguided in this respect, I just thank them for their thoughts, and remind them that I am not a professional.

If you could change one thing about the story/movie what would that be? (excluding keeping Jack alive... I think we all would change that if we could!).  
Well this is a interesting question, in that I wouldn't change anything.  There are technical decisions in both the book and the film that I would change, but the story itself (in both forms) are as near perfect as I have ever come across.

November 19 - Birthdays: ravenus19 (24)
November 21 - Birthdays: honestjoe1959 (48), yolandany2826 (25), jacks_key (41)
November 22 - Thanksgiving (U.S.A.), Birthdays: rsevibcn (35), PetiteMiel (44)
November 23 - Birthdays: monicita (41), Rob in Puyallup (48), eric_idle_rules (20)
November 24 - Birthdays: francis.shim (45)
November 25 - Birthdays: BBM Obsessed (46), dexxr9 (44)
November 26 - Birthdays: shiroi_kasumi (19)
November 27 - Birthdays: iamakashiMAN (23)
November 28 - Birthdays: keepitup84 (23), David (22), Mariza (19), Ommadawn (40)
November 29 - Birthdays: guaranain (29), malawix (40), karen1129 (60)
December 1 - Birthdays: phluka (32)
December 2 - Birthdays: Littlejimmy (51), crabtreeblue (25)

Member's levels updates

20 posts, Alma Jr.

freetraveller, November 9
Aurora, November 17

100 posts, Lureen

Tony, November 7
Lady Ashkenazi, November 10
ImEnnisShesJack, November 11

200 posts, Alma

ayashea, November 5

Jack,500 posts

thelastaerie, November 5
lancecowboy2007, November 12
babytammy7, November 18

Special achievements

November 7:  Tpe, 34 000 posts

November 11:  crabtreeblue, 6000 posts

November 12:  ksxks, 8000 posts

November 14:  Mars, 46 000 posts & City Slickin' Cowboy, 24 000 posts

November 16:  bruxa23, 8000 posts

Congratulations to all!  

Got News or Ideas?

Happy Thanksgiving!

See you in two weeks! 

November 19 -December 2 2007, editors: Asali, Chameau, Ethan & LuvJackNasty. Please PM us if you have any questions regarding this issue of the newsletter.

Click here to print this issue of newsletter.

Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:32 PM »
ennisjack.com Newsletter
December 3 - 16, 2007

Hi Brokies,

It's already December! ???

Well time flies and in two weeks ennisjack.com will celebrate it's second anniversary on december 17, in the meantime it will be the first anniversary of our first European Gathering in London last December 9 2006 and Brokies keep meeting and plan to meet again and again. :)

Last November 23 there was a mini meet in New-York City, Christie Wood, her friend Anne, Ethan & LuvJackNasty met. You could click on the picture below to read about their meeting and see more pictures of the event.

Kazza also informed us there will be two Brokeback Mountain screenings in London next January 10 & 13 2008, lucky Brokies from U.K. you have two chances to see it again on the big screen... I'm green!  (well it could be a nice way of celebrating my birthday...  :s)...   :i)  Click here for all the details.  I have the feeling many Brokies will be meeting in London. 

Finally, our dearest fearless leader, Ethan, found a way for us to print the Newsletter, including the pictures, you will find a link at the end of this edition if you want to print it.

See you in two weeks for some celebrations!  :cr)

Chameau

New Thread

Started by lamusica on November 22

The Thanksgiving Scenes
I have always found the two Thanksgiving Day scenes to be reflective of very important ideas in the development of the two main characters, as well as clarification of some minor ones.
      We learn a lot about Jack -- he DOES have a breaking point.  In so many other scenes, he seems to keep quiet and declines arguing, but here we see him fed up and determined to have his way.
      We learn about Ennis when Alma confronts him with her proof that he never went fishing with Jack.  He knows, now, that Alma knows what he and Jack did on their trips, and he has to make a decision, quickly, about how to respond.  Anger wins and he lashes out at Alma, telling us that he can be pushed too far, especially when it comes to being outed.
      We learn that Lureen's old man is a despotic old martinet, a real stud duck.
      We learn Lureen's mother is completely cowed by her husband so she never said a word.
      Lureen is proud when Jack stands up to her father, indicating that
she did care about Jack, and, maybe one reason she married Jack was to get away from under the old man's thumb.
      We get a glimpse of Bobby as a puling little kid, not too happy he didn't get his way.  He didn't seem too close to either parent, or grand-parent.
      At Alma's house, we see Alma in her nice house with her new husband, but we don't see her happy.  She may be content, but she doesn't smile, looks down all the time, shows no signs of happiness.
      Her husband says NOTHING -- All we know about him is that he allowed Ennis to share Thanksgiving dinner with the family.  Other than that, he is a cypher.
      We know the girls are well-behaved and happy to see their father, but they, too, show no obvious signs of being happy.
      And Ennis is just so uncomfortable, you can feel him wanting to crawl out of his skin and get the hell out of there, even before the dish-washing scene.
      These two scenes are important to me because of what they show us about the characters, as well as about ourselves.  I'll stop here and see if anyone has discovered more within them.

Jake's Birthday December 19

We are sending Jake a group gift, card and messages for his upcoming birthday. Click on the picture below to learn more about this project.

If you wish to send personal greetings, you could send them to the following address:

Jake Gyllenhaal
   c/o Creative Artist's Agency
   9830 Wilshire Blvd.
   Beverly Hills CA 90212
   USA

Quotes

Posted by lancecowboy2007 on November 17

Well, it's official.
The euphoria came and went.
The cowboy no longer dances on the street.

The tears came flooding back
when the movie is on,
when the trailer plays,
when the first chord of the music sounds on guitar strings.

The whole day, this feeling of sadness
drift over me like a cloud on a sunny day.

It is not the same suffocating depression as were in yesteryears,
but the bittersweetness that was PBS a few weeks ago, but more intense, more colorful.
It is the sadness from an openness to feel the pain of life, to feel for others suffering loss.

Perhaps it is also from listening to Kenny Chesney again...Tin Man...
sigh...never listen to it with PBS

Saw a man in the movies that didn't have a heart
How I wish I could give him mine
Then I wouldn't have to feel it breaking all apart
And this emptiness inside would suit me fine

It's times like these
I wish I were a tin man
You could hurt me all you wanted
And I'd never even know
I'd give anything just to be the tin man
And I wouldn't have a heart and I wouldn't need a soul

I couldn't see your leavin' comin'
You took me by surprise
Even now it still seems like a dream
But I know I can't be dreamin'
'Cause as I lay down each night
The pain so great that it won't let me sleep

It's times like these
I wish I were a tin man
You could hurt me all you wanted
And I'd never even know
I'd give anything just to be the tin man
And I wouldn't have a heart and I wouldn't need a soul
Well I'd give anything just to be the tin man
And I wouldn't have a heart and I wouldn't miss you so

Ennis was smart to build a fortress
Jack was cruel to tear it down and not stick around
Maybe it was fate, or destiny, whatever it was, it was cruel

As Ethan pointed out:
人有悲歡離合,月有陰晴圓缺
Happy reunions and sorrowful separations are common among people,
Waning and waxing, the moon can shine brightly in fullness or clouded unseen

但願人長久,千里共嬋娟
Just wish that people endure and
while thousands of miles apart,
share in the romantic moonlight

Ennis was smart, nothing lasts.
When you got nothing, you need nothing.
When life gives you lemons, keep drinking lemonade.

Okay, enough wallowing in self-pity.
Thanks for letting me get it off my chest.
I feel better already.
 <^( :^^)

Posted by by lil_dwarf_611 on November 21

Have I ever posted on this forum? I'm not really sure but today, for some reason, I was compelled to read and I just got overwelmed how many bbm and this forum had an affect on everyone. I kinda knew that it was a big influence but once I came on here, I am amazed on how many suffered from PBS. Now I'm wondering why I never really described my PBS, even though I knew I had it and I've been here since July. I guess thats because I'm not very good at telling how I feel in writing or sometimes talking to people and how a movie or book affected me. I usually will talk to all the wonderful Silver wolves or looking at random updates of Heath or Jakes new movies and pics. But what can I remember about how BBM affected me?

I remember it was early July, right b4 I went to Seattle for a Little People's Convention and the whole time I was having the time of my life but at the same time, thinking about the movie. The love and tradgey shown in the movie hit me, and probably everyone else here hard. The story they told was timeless and it was simply a love story. Love began then almost lost and reunited again to form a lifelong bond that would end in such tradgey I almost cried. The fear that society was not accepting of you is one thing that I took personally. They were two men who were in love and the society was not accepting. I have a disability and even though most people say they're accepting, some still are hesistant or give you weird looks. Even though they were two different situations, the fear of society watching over you got me the most and in that, i though I shared similar feelings to them.

I asked several friends if they seen it and all of them looked at me and told me it was alright and I was so confused and asking myself why I was feeling this way. So I went on youtube and I found a video called "Nothing Else Matters" with bbm and I loved it. Somehow, from that vid. I found others and evenutally this forum. At 1st, I was way to nervous to go on forum and for almost 2 weeks I just searched the topics, seeing what everyone says and how a meaning in this fim might have been demonstarted.

I was SO amazed when I came here and was welcomed with open arms. No other site has ever done that, and so quickly, lol. Eventually, I got what you all call "PFS" and I still have it. I really don't know how I can go on the computer and NOT eventually come here. I think today, this is the 1st place I went and last night, the last place I said good-bye in. I enjoy this place so much and the Brokies here are the absolute best! I hope this forum will be here for a long time, cuz I really don't think my PBS will ever go away... <^(

Posted by City Slickin' Cowboy on November 18

Just came across this thread.  A lot of interesting discussion.

It's hard for me to imagine Jack holding on to anything other than the blood-stained shirts.  They symbolized so much to Ennis when he discovered them.  I don't know how forgiving I would have been had someone socked me after accidentally hitting them followed by a profuse and caring apology.  Obviously Ennis's punch had little impact on Jack's feelings for Ennis.  Jack likely looked past Ennis's surface anger and saw his frustration.  Their time together was being cut short and Ennis was a lot less accepting of the situation.  Jack had to believe on some level he meant something more to Ennis than Ennis was willing to admit.  It was reason enough to take the shirt. I can't think of anything else in Ennis's possession that would have been worth hanging on to.

Link:  What If Jack Hadn't Slipped?

Posted by Flwrchild on November 22

The wonderful people
Here on this forum are the
Answer to my unspoken prayers. When I
Needed to feel that someone could
Know me, truly see into my
Soul, this amazing community of people
Gave me support, encouragement, and the
Inspiration to be the person I want to be. I feel
Valued, understood, and loved.
I am forever grateful to know I am
Never alone, and today and every day, I
Give thanks for each and every one of you.

Posted by Ethan on November 25

Tonight I went to the screening at the Museum of Moving Image in conjunction with the evening with Ang Lee. It has been more than a year and half since I saw it on the big screen with strangers and alone. As I was getting ready to go, it reminded me so much of those eight times I went by myself in the theaters. I was just so excited to get the opportunity again to see it in public.

The screening room seats about 150 people and I think there were around 30-40 in the audience with mixed older crowd. Most probably are members of the museum as admission to the screening is free. When the clip of Focus Features started, I knew I would be in an emotional roller coaster ride again.

I enjoyed every moment of it, especially when Ennis and Jack were up in the mountain. The audience laughed at the moments where it was supposedly funny. Half way through the movie, it was completely silent and one could just hear the pin drop.

When it came to dozy embrace scene, I was already a mess.  :\'( No matter how many times I have seen it, this one always gets me. At that moment, I was already absorbed in the movie and lost in the time and space.

The movie ended and to my surprise most in the audience just sat there including myself. As the credit rolled, I just stared at it and I had something in my chest that just could not let out. For a moment, I imaged the names of friends I have met here rolling on the screen. Tears just kept running...I cried for Ennis and Jack but in the end I cried with happiness for what the movie had made us. As I walked toward to my car, I smiled for the first time after leaving the movie.

Somehow the movie doesn't make me sad anymore and I have grown from the movie knowing love doesn't limit itself to space and time, as Ang Lee said it "not just Ennis and Jack but the greatness of love itself"

I have found the greatness of love itself in this forum. 

Link:  Your Thought - Review - Reaction after Viewing BBM - May it Be the Nth Times

Heath as Bob Dylan

Posted by keren_b on November 27

More INT interviews with Heath being his fidgety adorable self... And what he said on the second vid cracked me up!!  ;D You'll know what I mean when you get there... ;)

Click on the picture below to access the links to the interviews.

Pix with Poems

Posted by jessi last August 16

Real

Somethin we got here,
got no words, them saying kind
but thing's real, damn real.

jessi

Link:  Real

Posted by frenchcda last August 24

As such be told to Rome
be it once a dome
be in scents and fair
tales long gone
as in cries past time
when lost be apart
what lasted is hidden
beneath the bark
more than sorrows
yet so close at heart
it silenced none upon
tomorrow
in what the wind
sings like ' Aum "
over and above the hills,
when our souls
knows it roams freely
for in love dearly
Mighty we own
divine it stays
and none there
dare take
neither
in what last
forever
otherwise be condemned
like Rome a dome
delusions in shards falter
into no hope shattered in a mind's abyss
be remembered
with nothing
you keep that holds unto
no home of your own.

Joeseph

Link:  As such be told to Rome

Meeting in Las Vegas, Feb 29- March 3 2008

Las Vegas, Nevada

JT will be the host in Las Vegas from February 29 to March 3 2008, we don't meet there to visit casinos but like always be with sisters and brothers Brokies, some hiking in the desert is on the menu too :) .  Click here to go to the thread.  And please let us know if you want to attend this gathering.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

May 2 -5 2008, Jerasjr will be the host in Eau Claire, WI.   Click here to go to the thread.

Rendezvous Attendees, post on this thread your dates/times of arrival/departure, if you could share a hotel room and if you're interested in renting/sharing a car.

And there is more!  :)

Connecting to Eau Claire from Strasbourg, France

Started by pierralex on November 18

I was chatting with Tizi the other day and we were saying how sad it was that we couldn't make it to Eau Claire in May and that we should meet again; and then we had an idea: maybe we could meet in some place the same week end than the Wisconsin meeting and try to connect to the other meeting. Very quickly the location was found : Strasbourg, in France (at the german border), as it is right between both of us. Furthermore stephan is living there and can give us some useful information, and we both don't know the city (which is said to be very beautiful).

So this is the point: this meeting is not aimed to be a rival of the Eau Claire meeting in Wisconsin, it's more like a "little brother" for us poor Europeans with no money and/or no days off.

I was thinking we could try to make a connexion (skype call?) with Eau Claire. Thinking that brokies gather at different places all over the world seems exciting to me, but I wanted to know if it was OK and if some brokies are interrested about it. :) If we make it, there are many things still to be defined, like exact dates, hotel etc...

Oxford, England

The members on Dave Cullen forum are organizing a gathering in Oxford next June 20-22, 2008 all the Brokies are welcomed. Click here to go to the thread.

It looks like Dirtbiker wants to see us again next summer, if you're interested click here.

Brussels, Belgium

December 3 - Birthdays: milomorris (43)

December  6 - Birthdays: grassjean (49), Hitomi (23)

December 7 - Birthdays: pklein (49), Marge Innavera (58)

December 8 - Birthdays: Isbell (21), Audrey Twist (23)

December 9 - Birthdays: fjdp (46), Lady Ashkenazi (22) * London Gathering First Anniversary

December 10 - Birthdays: ennisandjack4ever (19)

December 13 - Birthdays: thee auld nick (35), cowgirl (21), rod62 (27)

December  14 - Birthdays: cybelle (29)

December 15 - Birthdays: Jack_ME (59), orangetruck (26)

December  16 - Birthdays: theresa (53)

Member's levels updates

20 posts, Alma Jr.

fizzerbass, December 1

Ennis,1000 posts

babytammy7, November 26

Special achievements

November 20:  Flwrchild, 13 000 posts

November 21:  carbyville, 10 000 posts

November 24:  BBBOY, 14 000 posts

November 26:  NoReins, 6000 posts

December 1:  Mars, 47 000 posts

December 2:  keren_b, 7000 posts

Congratulations to all!  

Got News or Ideas?

ennisjack.com 2nd Anniversary next December 17

See you in two weeks!

December 3 - 16 2007, editors: Chameau, Ethan & LuvJackNasty. Please PM us if you have any questions regarding this issue of the newsletter.

Click here to print the Newsletter.

Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2007, 10:28 PM »
ennisjack.com Newsletter
December 17 - 30, 2007

Special Edition

Dear Brokie family,

On December 17, 2007, the forum will be celebrating its 2nd anniversary. "Damn...two years." In the past, I was often asked a question if I had thought this forum would have lasted this long. To this very date, my answer is "never had I imagined" and I can proudly say that it is still growing and growing strong. In fact, the forum welcomed its 4000th member on December 5, 2007. Can you imagine all 4000 gather at one time? What makes it extraordinarily significant is that Brokies are all over the world. It is just gratifying to see that we have connected and bonded. It doesn't matter if we have met in person.

For this special occasion, I can only thank you for your continued support to Brokeback Mountain and this forum. Thank you for allowing me and this forum a small part in your life. Congratulations on our 2nd anniversary and I look forward to many more. You all have made it possible.

Finally, I'd like to dedicate this poem to all the members. It fits perfectly what we got going on here.

A special world for you and me
A special bond one cannot see
It wraps us up in its cocoon
And holds us fiercely in its womb.

Its fingers spread like fine spun gold
Gently nestling us to the fold
Like silken thread it holds us fast
Bonds like this are meant to last.

And though at times a thread may break
A new one forms in its wake
To bind us closer and keep us strong
In a special world, where we belong.

Annie Proulx puts it best - "they were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." To me, this is a true Brokie spirit. 

Lots of kisses and hugs, Ethan (administrator)

For more about the forum, I invite you to visit "ennisjack.con chronology" , just click here.

Celebrating Two years

2-year anniversary at ennisjack.com - A tribute to members

You are invited to complete a quizz about your ennisjack.com experience.   Click here to go to the thread.

ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY @ ennisjack.com

You could find here the answers from the members who completed the quizz last year.

Your ennisjack.com experience 

Post there your toughts, greetings and other goodies about our second anniversary.

Collection of ennisjack.com videos

On this thread you will find videos from many gatherings but also our tribute video to the cast and crew of Brokeback Mountain.  Click on the picture below.

Gallery

Visit our gallery to view all the banners used over the last two years and the t-shirts from the diffferent gatherings.
Link:  Gallery

Member Map

Just a reminder that for members to place themselves on the member map, it is great to see the locations of Brokies around the world, just click on the map. 

We met, We meet, We'll meet!

Taiwan, Montreal, Michigan, Paris, Chicago, Italy, London, Wisconsin, Finland, Ohio, Norway, New York, Toronto, North Carolina, Israel, Seattle, Maryland, San-Francisco, Barcelona (was it Madrid?   ^*()) and so... We must forget somethin' here, huh?  :s)

Over the last two years we had many wonderful occasions to meet for real and just be closer friends, more occasions are coming.  You will find further on this Newsletter a list and the links to the future projects.  If you click on the picture below you will access the Member Connection Board where all the past gatherings links and future ones are posted. 

Talking about meeting, Carmilla, Diana & Twisted recently met in Finland, click here for the pictures and the story.

BBM screening in London January 2008

London, UK

Brokeback Mountain is showing in the NFT2 cinema on two dates in January – 10th and 13th.  Some lucky Brokies are already lining up.  Click here for the details.

Meeting in Las Vegas, Feb 29- March 3 2008

Las Vegas, Nevada

JT will be the host from in Las Vegas from February 29 to March 3 2008, we don't meet there to visit casinos but like always be with sisters and brothers Brokies, some hiking in the desert is on the menu too :) .  Click here to go to the thread.  And please let us know if you want to attend this gathering.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Connecting to Eau Claire from Strasbourg, France

Strasbourg, France

Some Brokies who can't make it to Eau Claire plan to meet in Strasbourg.  From there they'll connect to Wisconsin thru video conferences and who knows, maybe a synchronized viewing of Brokeback Muntain. :)  Click here for the details.

Oxford, England

Brussels, Belgium

Memories...

All the links posted here were already posted on the forum and in previous Newsletters, these are some good memories of the last two years. 

The Trailer

I don't know for you but the Trailer still makes me cry, there are many links to it on the web but with this one you could look at it in a full screen version.  :-\\ :\'(

Click on the picture.

March of the Penguins

Some people have really a lot of imagination!  Click on the picture.

The Wings Video Remix

One of many music videos inspired by BBM. Click on the picture.

BBM FX

There are special effects and digital sheep in BBM, did you know it? ???

Click on the picture.

Lego BBM

Talking about people with imagination... :P

Click on the picture.

Willie Nelson & Gay Cowboys

Willie Nelson wrote this song in 1981 and it remained in the closet until Valentine Day 2006... It came out because of Ennis & Jack.  :)

Cowboys Are Frequently Secretly Fond of Each Other

There's many a strange impulse out on the plains of West Texas;
There's many a young boy who feels things he don't comprehend.
Well small town don't like it when somebody falls between sexes,
No, small town don't like it when a cowboy has feelings for men.

Well I believe in my soul that inside every man there's a feminine,
And inside every lady there's a deep manly voice loud and clear.
Well, a cowboy may brag about things that he does with his women,
But the ones who brag loudest are the ones that are most likely queer.

Cowboys are frequently secretly fond of each other”
What did you think those saddles and boots was about?
There's many a cowboy who don't understand the way that he feels towards his
brother,
Inside every cowboy there's a lady who'd love to slip out.

Ten men for each woman was the rule way back when on the prairie,
And somehow those cowboys must have kept themselves warm late at night.
Cowboys are famous for getting riled up about fairies,
But I'll tell you the reason a big strong man gets so uptight:

That's why they wear leather, and Levi's and belts buckled tight.
brother;
There's many a cowboy who's more like a lady at night.

Well there's always somebody who says what the others just whisper,
And mostly that someone's the first one to get shot down dead:
When you talk to a cowboy don't treat him like he was a sister
Don't mess with the lady that's sleepin' in each cowboy's head.

Even though they take speed and drive pickups and shoot their big guns;
brother;
There's many a cowboy who keeps quiet about things he's done.

Click on the picture to see the video.

Forum Maintenance

December 19

December 20

Australia (Sydney): 3:00pm

December 17 - Birthdays: musicandsun (36), cowgirlfanfic (17) *ennisjack.com 2nd Anniversary

December 18 - Birthdays: FulOfSadness (18)

December 19 - Birthdays: Fleur (29), MAC (55), * Jake Gyllenhaal's Birthday

December 20 - Birthdays: ayashae (32)

December 21 - Birthdays: Del Mar Twist (31), Carolien (26)

December 22 - Winter Solstice Birthdays: bnjmn3 (42), karind1 (60), laerwen (27) 

December  24 - Birthdays: Surya (24)

December 25 - Christmas , Birthdays: pierralex (28) 

December 26 - Birthdays: Nightwish (34) 

December 27 - Birthdays: katieljb (21) 

December 29 - Birthdays: jacktwist (36), wayne1932 (75), whodo64755 (49) 

December 30 - Birthdays: xvbbJ (28), Magdalena (36) 

Member's levels updates

20 posts, Alma Jr.

Emzan, December 6

100 posts, Lureen

YB, December 14

Special achievements

December 3:  Tpe, 35 000 posts

December 6:  LuvJackNasty, 21 000 posts

December 13:  Audrey twist, 12 000 posts

December 14:  Asali, 10 000 posts & Mars, 48 000 posts

Congratulations to all!  

Got News or Ideas?

Season's Greetings!

See you in two weeks! 

December 17 - 30 2007, editors: Asali , Chameau & Ethan . Please PM us if you have any questions regarding this issue of the newsletter.

Click here to print the Newsletter.
 Jean-Louis Barrault