The Movie & Story > News Coverage, Reviews & Awards

BBM the Opera

(1/26) > >>

tpe:
Expect me to attend when it finally shows:

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2008/06/09/Brokeback_Mountain_to_be_staged_as_opera/UPI-34811213014364/

-------------------------------

'Brokeback Mountain' to be staged as opera
Published: June 9, 2008 at 8:26 AMOrder reprints  |  Print Story  |  Email to a Friend  |  Post a Comment

NEW YORK, June 9 (UPI) -- The New York City Opera said it is planning to stage an adaptation of Annie Proulx's short story "Brokeback Mountain."

Proulx's work about a pair of cowboys who fall in love was the basis for Ang Lee's acclaimed 2005 film, which co-starred Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger.

The New York Times said the New York City Opera has hired composer Charles Wuorinen to create an opera based on the original story.

The opera is scheduled to premiere in 2013, the newspaper said.

tpe:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/arts/music/09arts-BROKEBACKTHE_BRF.html?_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin

‘Brokeback,’ the Opera  
Compiled by STEVEN McELROY
Published: June 9, 2008

The New York City Opera announced on Sunday that it had commissioned the Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Charles Wuorinen to create an opera based on the 1997 short story “Brokeback Mountain,” by Annie Proulx, that was the source of the Academy award-winning film of 2005, directed by Ang Lee and starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. The opera is scheduled for a premiere in 2013. City Opera has commissioned Mr. Wuorinen once before, for “Haroun and the Sea of Stories,” which opened in 2004 and was based on the novel by Salman Rushdie.

ethan:
Is this for real?  Thanks for the news, tpe.

I have a mixed feeling on this. 2013 - five years of producing this. Wow...I hope it is gonna be good.

tpe:

--- Quote from: ethan on Jun 09, 2008, 12:38 PM ---Is this for real?  Thanks for the news, tpe.

I have a mixed feeling on this. 2013 - five years of producing this. Wow...I hope it is gonna be good.

--- End quote ---

I hope so too, Ethan!

2013 seem like a long way off, but I think they are going about this very carefully.  That's a good sign.  They want to make sure that this is something worthy of the material.

chameau:
I'm like Ethan about this, I have mixed feelings like I cannot disassocite Gustavo's music from the story.  However I loved every show I saw at the NYCO, so a trip to N.Y. is scheduled for 2013 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version