I love that scene...I have seen it so many times and every time I watch music vids that's the scene that makes me smile "inside" !!!
There is so much tension, so much passion that comes out of this kiss.
It's like they are finalky being set free, 4 years of waiting and thinking and frustration!!
and finally this is it, they meet again!!! I think that in that scene, short story and movie, it is the first and probably only time that Ennis acts out of character...he doesn't even realise it, but like it is said before, all the fears of being seen ...poof...they just vanish...yes he does look, and does pull Jack to the stair case, but at the same time, I think that Ennis doesn't care ... he has Jack in front of him, and that's it!!! He is gone!!!
Jack on the other hand, he is still the dreamer, he looks hopeful (NI don't see him frightened! Curious maybe or unsure but not frightened IMO)
And after the shock of having Ennis kiss him, he finally kisses back!
This is one of my favourite scenes...so well acted...every time I see it, I get butterflies in my stomach...it's just so perfect, even better than what I had hoped for after reading AP's shirtstory!!