Author Topic: The reunion Embrace  (Read 270846 times)

Offline stacp

  • Jack
  • *****
  • Posts: 658
  • Gender: Female
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #210 on: Jun 22, 2006, 02:20 PM »
I must admit.  I had a big smile on my face when I saw that kiss.

It's one of the most beautiful things I have seen in my life.  :)

The theater was packed on opening night.  I heard so many gasps during this scene.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one "clutching the pearls!"  I think I heard a "hell yeah!" from someone behind me! :8

I was not prepared for this kiss either.  I hadn't read the short story yet, so I really didn't know what was coming.  It totally floored me.  I haven't recovered since.  I have never seen such raw passion and desire put forth on the big screen.  Damn.  I need to go watch it again.   :d)

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #211 on: Jun 22, 2006, 03:19 PM »
I'd read it, and it's a powerfully-written passage, but it didn't prepare me for the kiss on the screen. I suppose I thought it would be transgressive - two men kissing each other - but in reality it was just a stunningly-believable representation of pure passion, and the gender of the two people involved was irrelevant. I often saw it in the day, when there were few people there- when it was crowded the audience was almost entirely silent, though people coming out were often in tears and no-one seemed embarrassed by being seen to be so. There's a truth about this movie, and this scene, that defeats any attempt to belittle what happens.

Offline Rønnaug

  • Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 7546
  • Gender: Female
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #212 on: Jun 22, 2006, 04:25 PM »
The thing is, it seems, that when there are (usually) straight males in the audience tehy shift uncomfortably during FNIT and to a certain degree SNIT, but when it gets to reunion kiss they don't.... is it because we are so wanting this for them but not sure it is gonna happen outside of the mountain???
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline keren_b

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 23651
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • There will never be another Heath
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #213 on: Jun 22, 2006, 04:33 PM »
I'm trying, but I can't recall the responses from the audience to this scene in most of my viewings... I don't think I was able to hear anything beyond the beating of my heart.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline MississaugaRed

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3641
  • Gender: Female
  • Gone too soon, but never forgotten.
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #214 on: Jun 22, 2006, 04:38 PM »
I remember usually gasps, I think, for the unexpectedness of it  ... then utter silence as breathing comes to a complete stop for most people for several seconds.  Myself included!

Usually another gasp and the ocassional "oh, no!" when Alma sees them (and annoying giggles at that point for the children in the audience!   ^^)   ^*)   )
"Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan".
My hovercraft is full of eels.

“I miss you,” Jack whispered. “I miss you.” He felt loved. He felt heard. Shades of Grey by MidwestGirl

Offline Rønnaug

  • Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 7546
  • Gender: Female
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #215 on: Jun 22, 2006, 04:42 PM »
I remember usually gasps, I think, for the unexpectedness of it  ... then utter silence as breathing comes to a complete stop for most people for several seconds.  Myself included!

Usually another gasp and the ocassional "oh, no!" when Alma sees them (and annoying giggles at that point for the children in the audience!   ^^)   ^*)   )


Children in the audince? as in adults not behaving as adults or actual children?

Everyone of my friends that have seen it with me have also had the Oh No when Alma sees them... I think my exlamation was a bit more rude....
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

  • BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 26918
  • Gender: Male
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #216 on: Jun 22, 2006, 04:50 PM »
I'd say most of the audience responses during my 21 viewings were largely silent.  I do remember a couple of times when you could hear a little chatter or slight giggling.  This usually happened at the moment right after the initial hug.  As soon as Ennis and Jacked looked at each other I could occasionally hear people mumble "Uh Oh!"  It was if at that moment they could sense this scene was not going to stop at just a hug.  Of course, as soon as the kiss began I could make out several gasps.

By the time I was past my tenth viewing I found myself looking around the immediate area to see how many men were visibly uncomfortable in their chairs, especially during the kiss.  :8
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline hpv

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 13304
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #217 on: Jun 22, 2006, 04:52 PM »
I think that everyone  who watched it,was in total surprise,astound even
that what brings all those different reactions, I for example stopped breathing completely,like I was sharing
the kiss with them..
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2006, 05:19 PM by hpv »
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline christie wood

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 15455
  • Country: 00
  • Gender: Female
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #218 on: Jun 22, 2006, 04:54 PM »
There were audible gasps during FNIT, but when Ennis grabbed Jack, I think I zoned out of real life for a minute and just held my breath, and focused my eyes on the most passionate, intense and romantic scene I've had the pleasure of watching (and boy have I watched it over and over again ever since!).
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline MississaugaRed

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3641
  • Gender: Female
  • Gone too soon, but never forgotten.
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #219 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:01 PM »
Children in the audince? as in adults not behaving as adults or actual children?

Yup, that first one ...

CSC, I started being more aware too of how others around me were reacting after about the 8th or 9th time viewing ... but mostly I completely focused on the screen during that kiss ... I wanted to BE that kiss, it was like a living thing  .... how amazingly romantic that was .... hmmmmm, time for another look at it, I think, soon as I get home.   :)
"Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan".
My hovercraft is full of eels.

“I miss you,” Jack whispered. “I miss you.” He felt loved. He felt heard. Shades of Grey by MidwestGirl

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

  • BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 26918
  • Gender: Male
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #220 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:07 PM »
Children in the audince? as in adults not behaving as adults or actual children?

Yup, that first one ...

CSC, I started being more aware too of how others around me were reacting after about the 8th or 9th time viewing ... but mostly I completely focused on the screen during that kiss ... I wanted to BE that kiss, it was like a living thing  .... how amazingly romantic that was .... hmmmmm, time for another look at it, I think, soon as I get home.   :)

I wonder if our two actors have any idea how realistic and intensely romantic this scene turned out?  Do they have any idea how many of us watch this scene as often as possible?
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline Rønnaug

  • Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 7546
  • Gender: Female
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #221 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:13 PM »

I wonder if our two actors have any idea how realistic and intensely romantic this scene turned out?  Do they have any idea how many of us watch this scene as often as possible?

I think they are at least beginning to realize this :)
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline MississaugaRed

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3641
  • Gender: Female
  • Gone too soon, but never forgotten.
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #222 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:17 PM »

I wonder if our two actors have any idea how realistic and intensely romantic this scene turned out?  Do they have any idea how many of us watch this scene as often as possible?

Well, they might have just a little hint, after that MTV award!  ;)  Although I don't know if they know (??  ::) ) that we get that it's romantic and loving and soulful, as well as passionate and lustful ....

I can NEVER watch it just once, even if I swear  - this time - going to watch the DVD straight through, no stop and repeat ... never can make it pass certain scenes  ...    <^(
"Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan".
My hovercraft is full of eels.

“I miss you,” Jack whispered. “I miss you.” He felt loved. He felt heard. Shades of Grey by MidwestGirl

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

  • BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 26918
  • Gender: Male
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #223 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:21 PM »
I can NEVER watch it just once, even if I swear  - this time - going to watch the DVD straight through, no stop and repeat ... never can make it pass certain scenes  ...    <^(

Every time I watch my DVD I reply this scene at least 4 times before I move on. <^(
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline Rønnaug

  • Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 7546
  • Gender: Female
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #224 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:22 PM »
I can NEVER watch it just once, even if I swear  - this time - going to watch the DVD straight through, no stop and repeat ... never can make it pass certain scenes  ...    <^(

Every time I watch my DVD I reply this scene at least 4 times before I move on. <^(


Well I NEVER.... watch it without pausing and rewinding and ...stuff...
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

  • BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 26918
  • Gender: Male
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #225 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:24 PM »
This scene is so passionate and romantic it's almost narcotic.
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #226 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:26 PM »
I am sure all of us notice that while the embrace was so full of joy and intense feeling, in the kiss, both of them look almost hurting, almost pained.  The intensity had passed the boundary between pleasure and pain.

That kiss was so beautiful to both of them that it absolutely hurt.



Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

  • BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 26918
  • Gender: Male
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #227 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:29 PM »
I am sure all of us notice that while the embrace was so full of joy and intense feeling, in the kiss, both of them look almost hurting, almost pained.  The intensity had passed the boundary between pleasure and pain.

That kiss was so beautiful to both of them that it absolutely hurt.

Of course it did.  Their faces were saying "we should have never been apart!"
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline MississaugaRed

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3641
  • Gender: Female
  • Gone too soon, but never forgotten.
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #228 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:29 PM »

That kiss was so beautiful to both of them that it absolutely hurt.


Something precious they never thought they'd find again ... how did they even keep on their feet?!?
"Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan".
My hovercraft is full of eels.

“I miss you,” Jack whispered. “I miss you.” He felt loved. He felt heard. Shades of Grey by MidwestGirl

Offline Twisted

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 17835
  • Gender: Female
  • "Ain't no reins on this one"
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #229 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:30 PM »
I am sure all of us notice that while the embrace was so full of joy and intense feeling, in the kiss, both of them look almost hurting, almost pained.  The intensity had passed the boundary between pleaure and pain.

That kiss was so beautiful to both of them that it absolutely hurt.




Thomas, you said it. So beautiful

The most difficult scene was the paragraph where, on the mountain, Ennis holds Jack and rocks back and forth, humming, the moment mixed with childhood loss and his refusal to admit he was holding a man.

- Annie Proulx -



From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood, Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking.

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

  • BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 26918
  • Gender: Male
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #230 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:33 PM »
When I look at Jack's face as Ennis heads up the stairs I think of how shocked he must be.  It's like he's thinking "Oh my god.  He really does feel something for me."
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline hpv

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 13304
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #231 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:34 PM »
This scene is so passionate and romantic it's almost narcotic.
Well,it's  addictive and  narcotic,but we don't want to kick the habit <^( <^(
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

  • BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 26918
  • Gender: Male
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #232 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:36 PM »
This scene is so passionate and romantic it's almost narcotic.
Well,it's  addictive and  narcotic,but we don't want to kick the habit <^( <^(

Never!! <^(
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #233 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:38 PM »
I am sure all of us notice that while the embrace was so full of joy and intense feeling, in the kiss, both of them look almost hurting, almost pained.  The intensity had passed the boundary between pleasure and pain.

That kiss was so beautiful to both of them that it absolutely hurt.

Of course it did.  Their faces were saying "we should have never been apart!"


Isn't it amazing how much we as human beings don't appreciate until it confronts us right to our face?  Same with them.  They never realized what they needed up until that moment.

And as MississaugaRed said, it is a miracle that they can even come to this realization standing.  They had given each other up all to easily.  Now is the reckoning...

Twisted, your pic says it all.  All the above words are ridiculous in its wake.




Offline Rønnaug

  • Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 7546
  • Gender: Female
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #234 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:41 PM »
12 step recoveryplan for Brokies:

1. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
2. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
3. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
4. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
5. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
6. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
7. Go see Brokeback Mountain. Take a friend.
8. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
9. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
10. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
11. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
12. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline Twisted

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 17835
  • Gender: Female
  • "Ain't no reins on this one"
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #235 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:44 PM »
I like this one too, look how frightened Jack looks at first.

The most difficult scene was the paragraph where, on the mountain, Ennis holds Jack and rocks back and forth, humming, the moment mixed with childhood loss and his refusal to admit he was holding a man.

- Annie Proulx -



From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood, Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #236 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:49 PM »
12 step recoveryplan for Brokies:

1. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
2. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
3. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
4. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
5. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
6. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
7. Go see Brokeback Mountain. Take a friend.
8. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
9. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
10. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
11. Go see Brokeback Mountain.
12. Go see Brokeback Mountain.


Whenever one sees the reunion scene, you know there will be no recovery.  :)


Offline Twisted

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 17835
  • Gender: Female
  • "Ain't no reins on this one"
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #237 on: Jun 22, 2006, 05:56 PM »
The kiss. (sorry, the pics aren't very good.)











The most difficult scene was the paragraph where, on the mountain, Ennis holds Jack and rocks back and forth, humming, the moment mixed with childhood loss and his refusal to admit he was holding a man.

- Annie Proulx -



From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood, Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #238 on: Jun 22, 2006, 06:03 PM »


 Love is the fire that burns me,
 The smokes are thoughts confused,
 Which dim my soul, my soul,
 And hath my sense abused.
 Though fire to ashes turn me,
 Yet doth the smoke more grieve me,
 That dims my mind,
 Whose light should still relieve me.


Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: The reunion Embrace
« Reply #239 on: Jun 22, 2006, 06:12 PM »
There were audible gasps during FNIT, but when Ennis grabbed Jack, I think I zoned out of real life for a minute and just held my breath, and focused my eyes on the most passionate, intense and romantic scene I've had the pleasure of watching (and boy have I watched it over and over again ever since!).

You know, CW, I was reading these last posts and trying to figure out how to say how I felt during this scene, the first time at the theater, and I was going to say, almost out of the body.  So I like how you said it -- you zoned out of real life for a minute.  I also felt not in this world exactly (though physically still on this plane as I was clutching the equivalent of pearls).  I didn't breathe, and my eyes -- windows of the soul -- were like drinking in this most gorgeous abd gigantic beauty of these two men, this passion that was so beyond what I could have hoped for, their kissing an exilir for my own soul, not just theirs...

Welshwitch, for me it certainly did matter that these were two men.  We always see men and women kissing on the big screen and everyplace else.  I craved like a drug, to see something explicit and beautiful between two men in this movie...and I got it.  (Though I've still got the craving big time.   :*(

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.