Author Topic: News Coverage: 2009  (Read 36827 times)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: News Coverage: 2009
« Reply #30 on: Jun 22, 2009, 04:58 PM »
Thanks tizi.  And I like to make you smile.  ;)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #31 on: Jul 09, 2009, 07:06 AM »

Before 'Bruno': A brief history of gay characters in movies and TV

Wednesday, July 8th 2009, 10:10 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/2009/07/08/2009-07-08_gay_characters_who_paved_the_way_for_bruno.html

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #32 on: Jul 22, 2009, 07:30 AM »

http://www.thewrap.com/article/coming-out-sidebar-timeline_4443

Is this comment accurate?  The scenes were relatively subtle and not explicit, for one...   
-----

A Brief History of Coming Out, Hollywood-Style
By Amy Kaufman

...Over a decade later in 2005, Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger not only got Oscar consideration for their roles in “Brokeback Mountain,” both got significant career boosts as a result of the movie, which included not just kissing but highly explicit sex scenes...

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #33 on: Jul 22, 2009, 09:15 AM »
A very interesting article,Thomas¡ It's amazing,in spite of the lenght of the path all of us must walk to still,how public opinion has changed these last years¡. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline Annika

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #34 on: Jul 22, 2009, 01:07 PM »
...Over a decade later in 2005, Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger not only got Oscar consideration for their roles in “Brokeback Mountain,” both got significant career boosts as a result of the movie, which included not just kissing but highly explicit sex scenes...

I want to see the vision they were allowed to...  ::)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.   (Dr. Seuss)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #35 on: Jul 22, 2009, 05:19 PM »
Thanks MPJ and Annika.  I did find it quite an interesting read!  :)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM Shirts Exhibition
« Reply #36 on: Jul 30, 2009, 07:02 AM »

I saw the article referenced in WDW.  :)

http://ontheredcarpet.typepad.com/ontheredcarpet/2009/07/brokeback-mountain-shirts-head-to-museum.html

Brokeback Mountain’ shirts worn by Ledger, Gyllenhaal head to museum
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Posted by Miles Bradford at 04:56:22 PM

Two cowboy shirts worn by actors Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in the movie Brokeback Mountain are heading to The Autry National Center in Los Angeles. The two shirts have been intertwinded to represent "the struggle between heritage and acceprance in gay cowboy culture."

The installation is the brainchild of author Gregory Hinton. The shirts are on loan to the museum from collector Tom Gregory.  He bought them in a 2006 charity auction for $101,100.

The shirt exhibition is part of the museum's larger attempt to examine the LGBT community’s contribution to the West and the Western genre. The Autry is currently in negotiations to house the archives of the International Gay Rodeo Association.

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
« Reply #37 on: Jul 31, 2009, 01:22 AM »
thank you thomas...  ^f^

oh what would i give to be able to go and see it...  ::)
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

vedrana

Please read!
« Reply #38 on: Aug 04, 2009, 02:53 PM »
I am not sure if this is the thread for posting this, or if it's already posted, but just in case:

http://larodeo.com/?q=node/1174

Offline JT

• Jack + Ennis
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
Please read!
« Reply #39 on: Aug 04, 2009, 03:49 PM »
I am not sure if this is the thread for posting this, or if it's already posted, but just in case:

That's wonderful!  Hope many people can make it there to see it. 

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Please read!
« Reply #40 on: Aug 04, 2009, 05:47 PM »
Thnaks loreen.  I had also posted it in the ff thread a few days ago:  ;)

http://ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=15041.msg954265#msg954265

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #41 on: Aug 04, 2009, 05:49 PM »
You're welcome, Tizi! 

A meet in LA, perhaps?  ;)

vedrana

Please read!
« Reply #42 on: Aug 04, 2009, 05:51 PM »
Thnaks loreen.  I had also posted it in the ff thread a few days ago:  ;)

http://ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=15041.msg954265#msg954265

Oh, OK then!

I'm late again!  >:(

;D

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Please read!
« Reply #43 on: Aug 04, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Oh, OK then!

I'm late again!  >:(

;D

Better late than never!   ;D

And besides, your post is much more attractive!  ;)

vedrana

Please read!
« Reply #44 on: Aug 04, 2009, 06:38 PM »
Better late than never!   ;D

And besides, your post is much more attractive!  ;)

:P

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #45 on: Aug 04, 2009, 07:23 PM »

No worries lorren yes it was posted here first but your nice post is worth a (very) little work for me, I moved the posts from notice for all and merged them here. :)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

vedrana

« Reply #46 on: Aug 05, 2009, 01:01 AM »
No worries lorren yes it was posted here first but your nice post is worth a (very) little work for me, I moved the posts from notice for all and merged them here. :)

Thanks Chameau! ^f^

I hope that some members of the forum will manage to see the shirts! :P

(t) If only I could... (t)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #47 on: Aug 13, 2009, 07:33 AM »
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2009/08/13/10444406-sun.html

Tip your hat to cathartic tears
By KRISTEN MCKENZIE

When your lips start to quiver and your eyes become moist, don't fight the feeling - crying can be a helpful means to survive tragedy or disappointment.

"It's a kind of liberating psychological experience," said William Koch, a professor of clinical psychology at the University of British Columbia.

According to Koch, tears are a natural reaction to sorrow and attempts at stoicism only impede the recovery process.

"People who suppress emotional experience ... those individuals tend to have a harder time adapting," he said. "Some people try to avoid negative emotions ... that's maladaptive."

The key, says Koch, is to grow comfortable with the act of crying in order for it to become effective; embarrassment will only undermine tears' healing capacity.

"The acceptance of crying as a normal reaction ... is certainly adaptive," he said. "One develops the attitude that it's OK to feel distress and express distress. [It's] a positive coping attitude."

---

Need a good cry? Check out the following heartwrenching flicks and turn on the taps (warning: runny noses and red eyes will ensue).

Marley and Me

This sentimental look at the bond between a loveable dog and its owners is bound to leave animal lovers everywhere bawling.

It's a Wondeful Life

Who doesn't cry when that little bell rings at the end? Heartless people, that's who.

Forrest Gump

"Why don't you love me Jenny? I may not be a smart man, but I know what love is." Sniff, sniff.

The Green Mile

A kindly miracle healer gets mistakenly sentenced to death row. So sad, it's ridiculous.

Brokeback Mountain

A moving tale of unrequited love and flawless performances by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal combine to make this film a tearjerker.

And in case movies don't do the trick, here are a few gloomy tunes to get your eyes watering:

---

And in case movies don’t do the trick, here are a few gloomy tunes to get your eyes watering:

Hallelujah

by Jeff Buckley

Beautiful and haunting, this isn't a song you'd call upbeat.

Yesterday

by The Beatles

Regret and lost love: perfect ingredients for a sad song.

Tears in Heaven

by Eric Clapton

Written for the singer's deceased child, the song's genuine sorrow can't be denied.

Mad World

by Gary Jules

This somewhat eerie tune emanates loss and loneliness.

England's Rose

by Elton John

Sung at Princess Diana's funeral, a moving look at the humanitarian's life and untimely death.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #48 on: Aug 19, 2009, 07:17 AM »
More about the shisrts...

http://www.examiner.com/x-3366-Bisexuality-Examiner~y2009m8d18-Brokeback-Mountain-Tshirt-is-this-generations-Ruby-Slippers-Cowboy-Museum-takes-them

...The shirts (and other Hollywood memorabilia) are going to be part of fashion section of the exhibition that was installed this week at a dramatic moment with more than 70 film enthusiasts, International Gay Rodeo Association (IGRA) members, executives from the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) and press...

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #49 on: Aug 20, 2009, 02:19 AM »
thank you thomas...  ^f^

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #50 on: Aug 20, 2009, 07:23 AM »
You're welcome, tizi!  :)

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #51 on: Aug 20, 2009, 02:41 PM »
.. from afterelton...

Iconic Gay Movie Rolesby
Momo Hassan

Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Why It Mattered

Ang Lee’s Brokeback Mountain has pretty much defined an entire era of gay filmmaking. Initially touted as a small art house favorite, Brokeback ended up an international blockbuster, drawing in audiences who deemed it a ‘universal love story’. The film went on to sweep up awards right, left and center, before so controversially failing to capture that coveted Best Picture prize.

With such praise surrounding the film, one tends to forget how incredible the performances were. And that is most true of Heath Ledger’s Ennis Del Mar, a repressed gay man in nearly unbearable internal turmoil and rarely ever able to consummate the relationship with the man that he so desperately loved.
Unlike Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal), Ennis was so trapped by his fear that he was unable to even fulfil his most basic sexual desires, instead choosing to live his life behind a pseudo hard man exterior.
But what was most profound about Ledger’s role was how his agonizing heartbreak at the end of the film managed to stir emotions in both the straight and gay community alike.

In the character of Ennis, mainstream audiences, many of whom may only have been exposed to campier characters, were able to witness a portrayal that differed drastically from what they were used to. And Ledger’s heartthrob status, as well as his untimely death in 2008, adds even more texture to his tortured portrayal of Ennis Del Mar.

Whatever the case, it is undeniable that Heath’s bold portrayal is not just one of the most iconic gay performances, but one of the greatest performances of all time.

Cultural Impact: Very High
Cultural Significance: Very High

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #52 on: Aug 29, 2009, 12:33 PM »
A very interesting article,Fausta,and above all,very fair with BBM and specially with Heath's performance:Whatever the case, it is undeniable that Heath’s bold portrayal is not just one of the most iconic gay performances, but one of the greatest performances of all time.   :\'(
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------

vedrana

« Reply #53 on: Sep 01, 2009, 04:29 AM »
Ok, again, I don't know if this goes here, but here it is:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-11-awards-campaign-2009/posts/oscar-rules-academy-goes-1-to-10-in-best-picture-voting

Another example of how the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences cannot avoid controversy no matter what it does, details on how members will select the new system of ten Best Picture nominees were revealed today creating a ruckus among some online pundits. But before diving into that mess, some details on the new rules.

In previous years, the Academy rules stated that members voted for only one potential nominee in the Best Picture race each year (the one category all members can submit nominees for).  The five nominees with the top five votes totals would be announced as eligible for Best Picture.  However, when it came around to selecting the overall winner, the process was modified so members would vote in a ranked system placing each nominee in first, second, third (and so on) slots.  This "preferential" system is meant to put just as much importance on the third place vote as a first place vote and ind a winner with broad support across the Academy (got that?).  So, it's possible 2006 nominee "Brokeback Mountain" may have theoretically had more first place votes, but if "Crash" appeared on more ballots between 1-3 slots it was the winner (as was sadly the case).

Because the Academy is now allowing for 10 Best Picture possibilities, it's bringing the "preferential" system to the nominee process. Now, when Academy members submit movies for the top category they will rank them from first through tenth place instead of picking just one movie to submit.  Why  make this change you ask?  Well, the Academy overseers were rightly concerned a movie could get nominated with less than 600 votes out of approximately 6,000 members thereby not reflecting the overall preferences of the organization. That could mean films that have no right at being nominated such as "The Ugly Truth," "G-Force" or "17 Again" could somehow sneak their way in (heaven forbid).

Of course, some media pundits are insisting this will hurt the small indie flicks that never seem to have broad support (ugh, right). The hot weather must be affecting many a brain in Los Angeles as these journalists may want to look over the laundry list of small prestige pictures that have been up for Oscar the past 15 years.  Indies will do just fine in this new system, don't you worry.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #54 on: Sep 01, 2009, 08:29 AM »
Thnanks loreen!  Yes, it goes here.  :)

Offline lila70

• Cassie
3 years on - What has the Academy learned from 2006?
« Reply #55 on: Sep 06, 2009, 10:51 PM »
As we all know, at the 2006 Academy Awards Brokeback Mountain joined the ranks of masterpieces that have been snubbed at the awards but have endured as classics, while the films to which they lost have been all but forgotten.  I personally think that the loss of the best picture Oscar was a blessing in disguise for the film:  1) it added poignancy to the story by highlighting the homophobia that exists even to this day, in liberal California and within an industry that prides itself on its supposedly liberal attitudes, and 2) the publicity generated by the resulting backlash likely drew a larger audience to the flim.

I believe that the Academy was stung by the outrage that greeted the loss of the Best Picture Award, and partly in an effort to redeem itself and show its evolving attitudes, it awarded the Best Actor award to Sean Penn for Milk last year.  Milk had some of the more explicit gay love scenes we’ve seen yet in a mainstream movie, and I think we can recognize BBM as a trailblazer that allowed this award to happen.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #56 on: Sep 07, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Yes,I tend to agree with you,Lila,in that sometimes facts we believe are negative,have very often a much more positive result in the long term.Of course,little by little minds are changing in what regards to homosexuality's acceptation-2009 is not the same than 2005-,but doubtless the campaign pro BBM that some stupid and narrow-minded reactions provoked,has had a positive result both in BBM and in former movies in rapport with homosexuality.

("If I asked")
                         ----------------

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: 3 years on - What has the Academy learned from 2006?
« Reply #57 on: Sep 09, 2009, 07:18 AM »
As we all know, at the 2006 Academy Awards Brokeback Mountain joined the ranks of masterpieces that have been snubbed at the awards but have endured as classics, while the films to which they lost have been all but forgotten.  I personally think that the loss of the best picture Oscar was a blessing in disguise for the film:  1) it added poignancy to the story by highlighting the homophobia that exists even to this day, in liberal California and within an industry that prides itself on its supposedly liberal attitudes, and 2) the publicity generated by the resulting backlash likely drew a larger audience to the flim.

I believe that the Academy was stung by the outrage that greeted the loss of the Best Picture Award, and partly in an effort to redeem itself and show its evolving attitudes, it awarded the Best Actor award to Sean Penn for Milk last year.  Milk had some of the more explicit gay love scenes we’ve seen yet in a mainstream movie, and I think we can recognize BBM as a trailblazer that allowed this award to happen.

And as Ethan had noted before, perhaps the forum would not have lasted for as long as it continues to do so, had it not been for that snub. 

Whatever the case, I think the story and the film spoke to us in ways that transcended the medium (i.e., art and cinema).  That is why we continue to discuss it, several years after the fact.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
Re: 3 years on - What has the Academy learned from 2006?
« Reply #58 on: Sep 09, 2009, 05:38 PM »

Although I may agree with 1) above, I don't agree with 2. I think Brokeback Mountain stands alone, with or without the Academy Award, with or without publicity. People who would watch it either already know it or not. I think the numerous new people who come to the forum even now, are drawn to the movie after they watched it, despite whatever publicity, good or bad. People with an open mind cannot watch the movie and not be affected by its beauty and truth portrayed.

The fiasco of the award highlights only, in my humble opinion, the non-relevancy of the Academy Award itself in selecting the Best Picture. The process has became highly political (not in terms of homophobia or political correctness, but in terms of who the actors and directors and producers know, as in like a high school popularity contest). It is this loss of integrity that will doom future Academy Awards until a thorough and genuine reform takes place to convince the public that these highly paid celebrities do a little more than showing off their blings on the red carpet. It should be about the art. The name Academy implies an institute of higher learning, or a standard of excellence. The political process that permeates the voting is sophomoric. IMHO. Brokeback Mountain lost because the people did not vote according to the highest standard of their craft.
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
AfterElton: The 50 Best Gay Movies (2009)
« Reply #59 on: Sep 15, 2009, 08:10 AM »

Guess who's number 1!  :)

http://www.afterelton.com/movies/2009/9/greatest-gay-movies?page=1%2C1

The 50 Best Gay Movies (2009)
by Brent Hartinger
September 14, 2009

1. Brokeback Mountain (2005)

It seems that our readers’ reaction to Ang Lee’s 2005 masterpiece is a love that will never grow old; once again, you chose this as the best gay movie of all time (and as with last year, it was by a large margin).

Tragically, actor Heath Ledger is dead now, and in the movie Lureen says of one character, “He always said he wanted his ashes scattered on Brokeback Mountain, but I wasn't sure where that was … Knowing Jack, it was probably some pretend place, where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring.”

Brokeback Mountain a pretend place? On the contrary, it was the controversy that surrounded the movie’s release that turned out to be the illusion: that ridiculous six-month orgy of conservative outrage and mean-spirited jokes from late-night comedians – not to mention an Oscar snub that was clearly motivated by Hollywood’s fears that the town might be perceived as being too “liberal” as well as plain old-fashioned homophobia.

Four years after the movie’s release, we now know that Brokeback Mountain, both the mountain and the movie, was something very real. Did it change Hollywood? Did it change America?

I don’t know, and I don’t really care. But I know for a fact it changed me, profoundly and dramatically. And for most of you who voted in our movie poll, I suspect it changed you too.