Author Topic: DVD Release Dates  (Read 34838 times)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: DVD Release Dates
« Reply #60 on: Mar 05, 2006, 02:01 AM »
to whom soever it may concern:

SendMeMovies.com is accepting preorders. Release date April 4th

Enjoy
mario

Thanks for the good news, mario.  :) That will be useful to the people that live in the US and Canada, I presume. In Europe we are a different dvd zone, if I'm not mistaken.

Americas have a different DVD standard that is called Zone 1, Zone 2 is the rest of the World.  Multi standards players exist.  My sister, who lives in France have one.  If your from Zone 2, make sure your player is good before ordering a DVD from America.  Your heart would be broken and my heart would be broken too, knowing you have a broken heart.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline leanne

• Jack
« Reply #61 on: Mar 05, 2006, 08:39 AM »
Oooh I wonder what the extras will be!

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #62 on: Mar 05, 2006, 09:28 AM »
Oooh I wonder what the extras will be!

So do we Leanne, so do we, I can't wait for the amazon page to give all the little details!!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

matsuki33

« Reply #63 on: Mar 05, 2006, 05:56 PM »
Just watched again on Columbia House.... NADA!

chameau i won't tell you then to go to amazon.com it is so funny it says december 31, 2025 it is so funny in 20 years just as the relationship that jack and ennis had  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline coguaro

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #64 on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:00 PM »
why some film are ind DVD while they are still in cinema in italy.. not Brokeback mountain??

:(
I swear... I will never mistake again...

Offline XWing

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #65 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:04 PM »
I just got an e-mail from Wolfe Video, who also says that the DVD will be released on April 4th and they are accepting advance orders (at a good discount, too). They are even offering a free bandanna with each copy sold that has the "Brokeback Mountain" logo imprinted on it! I immediately ordered 3 copies from them.

I urge you to consider purchasing the DVD from Wolfe. They are a GLBT-owned-and-operated business and have always provided excellent pricing and service. In fact, in the past when I ordered the DVDs for Queer as Folk, the discs showed up on my doorstep ON THE RELEASE DATE, so I often had them before anyone else.

List price is $29.95; their pre-order price is $20.95 WITH the bandanna.

Here's the Link

(this also shows a photo of the bandanna)

The e-mail they sent me even had a great photo of the box, which says "Focus Features Four-Star Collection" in a banner across the top. Man, I can't WAIT for April 4th! (That will be the last day of my company's annual meeting, and this will be the best possible thing waiting for me when I get home after 5 grueling days of work!)
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006, 01:20 PM by ethan »

matsuki33

« Reply #66 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:24 PM »
Well i'm happy next week they'll give me my company raise and my bonus so i'll have money in advance for Brokeback!!!!!!!

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #67 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:12 AM »
Here're the details of the DVD.  Officially to release on 4/4/06.  Doesn't look like there's a commentary :(  maybe when they release a special edition in the future...

DVD: $19.99 Letterbox
Availability: PRE-ORDER: Available 04/04/2006
Close Caption: Yes

Region Code: 1

UPC: 025192631528

Catalog #: DV2205002

Studio: Focus Features

Languages:  English Dolby Digital 5.1 - Primary
French Dolby Digital 5.1
English SDH subtitles
French subtitles
Spanish subtitles

Aspect Ratio:  1.85
Widescreen 
Extras:  Anamorphic

Features:  Documentaries ("On Being a Cowboy: Directing from the Heart: Ang Lee" "From Script to Screen: Interviews with Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana" "Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Mountain")

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
« Reply #68 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:49 PM »
I'd love to have it, but it is a zone 1...  :'(
"Texans don't drink coffee?"

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #69 on: Mar 07, 2006, 02:19 PM »
I'd love to have it, but it is a zone 1...  :'(

You can always get a multi-zone, multistandard DVD player ;)

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #70 on: Mar 07, 2006, 03:22 PM »
well, I'm a bit short with money.... so I think I will wait for the french realese.... gonna be hard to wait!

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #71 on: Mar 07, 2006, 07:01 PM »
LOL, Amazon.com listed a BBM DVD 24pk with a release date of December 31st 2025!!!!  Can we wait that long????? Hee hee
What's 24 Pack?
Jennis.x

Offline jakeofrome

• Randall Malone
  • Lureen
« Reply #72 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:50 AM »
Just to dig into technical stuff, in case someone is interested - apologies for the tedious subject.

There are several different standards for videos. The main are NTSC and PAL. They have some slight difference in the size of the frame, and the frame rate (let's call it "speed" to simplify).
USA uses NTSC, Europe uses PAL. France had another format (SECAM) for VHS tapes but they are using PAL since the DVD format was introduced.

Now there are Regions. Regions are not format. They are codes written to the DVD to let it play on specific dvd-players.
DVDs have the ability to encode an option which specifies which regions in the world the discs can be played. The movie studios have collectively divided the planet earth into zones which corresponds to their distribution system.
 The main reason for it is that a while ago the delay in the theatrical release dates between the US and Europe was quite big - and you had movies released on DVD in the States while they did not reach cinemas in Europe yet (this still happens sometimes, but more and more movies have a simultaneous worldwide release lately).
Also, some DVDs are regionally encoded for rights issues (companies have rights to publish some material in a specific country - without code and with internet shopping that would be a "worldwide release" instead).

Without regional code, US imported DVDs were appealing for European customers who wanted to get the movie straight to DVD and "skip" the theatrical release at once.
Regional codes do not allow you to do this - as you can basically play a US dvd on a player manufactured for the US market. DVD-rom players on pc have the same thing (but they let you switch between regions a certain nuber of times, then they stick to the last region you used).

Now, you can find region-free players, and you can also make a player region free with a small firmware upgrade (easy to do it yourself or at a pc/multimedia center - keep in mind you usually invalid your manufacturer's warrantly doing so).

Besides, the most part of DVD player play both NTSC and PAL discs. And so do the DVD-roms on pcs/mac.
The problem is all in the regional code - for example there are music videos released in the US that are NTSC and Region 0 - meaning that any player from any country will be able to read them.

Finally, there are a few weird cross cases. Japan has the same regional code of Europe (Region 2) but the same standard of the US (NTSC).

Region   Countries   
0           No Region Coding   
1           United States of America, Canada   
2           Europe, including France, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Arabia, Japan, South Africa   
3           Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Borneo and Indonesia   
4           Australia and New Zealand, Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America   
5           India, Africa, Russia and former USSR countries   
6           Peoples Republic of China   
7           Unused   
8           Airlines/Cruise Ships   
9           Expansion (often used as region free)
"I loved it. Shocking. Surprising. The guy who financed my movie did that too. He's a very mild mannered chap from Minnesota and we'd just screened the latest cut of my film and he asked if I wanted to see it. I was thinking, 'OK, this really square, straight guy,' and he showed me this movie. It's amazing.

"They're really good those boys and they did a great job. It's very brave of them."

Lady

« Reply #73 on: Mar 09, 2006, 12:05 PM »
thank you for that, its made things a little clearer for me, though i still dont understand my dvd player its labelled for region 2 or ALL, and a friend of mine got a region 1 Dvd that played on mine and his,, (Im in england)  does ALL mean its multi regional? sounds like it!!

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #74 on: Mar 09, 2006, 01:19 PM »
thank you for that, its made things a little clearer for me, though i still dont understand my dvd player its labelled for region 2 or ALL, and a friend of mine got a region 1 Dvd that played on mine and his,, (Im in england)  does ALL mean its multi regional? sounds like it!!

I hate to burst your bubble Lady, but ALL means that it will play DVD's with the designation "ALL" which means they are not region restricted....

Offline AnaisStefanie

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #75 on: Mar 09, 2006, 02:38 PM »
I just got an e-mail from Wolfe Video, who also says that the DVD will be released on April 4th and they are accepting advance orders (at a good discount, too). They are even offering a free bandanna with each copy sold that has the "Brokeback Mountain" logo imprinted on it! I immediately ordered 3 copies from them.

I urge you to consider purchasing the DVD from Wolfe. They are a GLBT-owned-and-operated business and have always provided excellent pricing and service. In fact, in the past when I ordered the DVDs for Queer as Folk, the discs showed up on my doorstep ON THE RELEASE DATE, so I often had them before anyone else.

List price is $29.95; their pre-order price is $20.95 WITH the bandanna.

Here's the link:  http://www.wolfevideo.com/products.asp?id=1110  (this also shows a photo of the bandanna)

The e-mail they sent me even had a great photo of the box, which says "Focus Features Four-Star Collection" in a banner across the top. Man, I can't WAIT for April 4th! (That will be the last day of my company's annual meeting, and this will be the best possible thing waiting for me when I get home after 5 grueling days of work!)

that's where i pre-ordered my copy from. i can't wait!!! i'm so excited!!

Offline tireiron

• Lureen
« Reply #76 on: Mar 09, 2006, 02:54 PM »
The last time I pre-ordered something, from amazon.com, it didn't arrive until
three days after it was in the stores, so I probably will be renting the DVD
while waiting for the delivery.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #77 on: Mar 09, 2006, 04:05 PM »
Still not showing on Columbia House  :(
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

matsuki33

« Reply #78 on: Mar 09, 2006, 05:45 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( why the time is so slow it looks like an eternity to reach april

Offline bram

• Jack
« Reply #79 on: Mar 09, 2006, 05:49 PM »
I'm sure it'll go very fast for me, since my tuition is due on March 31st.
Dog Canyon, Texas is the most beautiful place in the world. You should check it out.

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #80 on: Mar 12, 2006, 02:50 PM »
According commeaucinema.com, the release of the DVD zone 2 would be July the 19th in France.

http://www.commeaucinema.com/news.php3?nominfos=46200

Offline Lost_Girl

• Ennis
  • If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it.
« Reply #81 on: Mar 12, 2006, 02:54 PM »
According commeaucinema.com, the release of the DVD zone 2 would be July the 19th in France.
http://www.commeaucinema.com/news.php3?nominfos=46200

Oh that's a really good new !! *cross finger* I hope we'll have the same packaging of Us or Uk and with Bonus and not too expansive too ! lol  :D
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BAD IT GETS !!!!

"There are places we can never return"
"When you ain't got nothing, you don't need nothing"

Icon by meowwwwwww

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #82 on: Mar 12, 2006, 03:04 PM »
Yes I hope there will be a lot of bonus in it too.
But July seems so far away to me... :'(

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #83 on: Mar 12, 2006, 04:48 PM »

Is the DVD release date - same around the world....

I'am going to check @ HMV on 4th April in UK.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #84 on: Mar 12, 2006, 05:19 PM »
Looks like its 17th of april for the uk.

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

aimi15

« Reply #85 on: Mar 12, 2006, 05:20 PM »
Great! Got a week off work that week! I know what i'll be doing! ;D

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #86 on: Mar 12, 2006, 05:21 PM »

aarrggggghhh.....

another big wait!!!

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #87 on: Mar 12, 2006, 05:31 PM »

aarrggggghhh.....

another big wait!!!

come on...it isn't that long to go!!!

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #88 on: Mar 12, 2006, 10:39 PM »
When the DVD comes out you are all invited to my place for a big screening party ;)  I have a home theater system consisting of a 10 foot screen and front CRT projection system - hi-def (to see the saliva trail on that kissing scene) and Dolby Digital surround sound.   :o

Where are you located dirtbiker? I'll bring the popcorn and beer!
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #89 on: Mar 12, 2006, 10:46 PM »
When the DVD comes out you are all invited to my place for a big screening party ;)  I have a home theater system consisting of a 10 foot screen and front CRT projection system - hi-def (to see the saliva trail on that kissing scene) and Dolby Digital surround sound.   :o

Where are you located dirtbiker? I'll bring the popcorn and beer!

Seattle area  ;D