Author Topic: thoughts on headcanons?  (Read 662 times)

Offline jackfuckintwist

• Cassie
thoughts on headcanons?
« on: Jan 04, 2023, 06:49 PM »
new to this forum, don’t know where to put this also sorry if this been a made a post already, but I’d like to hear opinions on headcanons in general #s} I find them quite enjoyable and have some of my own such as I like to think Ennis has autism for kinda no other reason than I’m autistic myself and behave similarly to Ennis such as being semi-verbal :P but I would really like to hear from others!! very excited I am a huge fan of Brokeback Mountain.
Brokeback got us good, don't it?

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
Re: thoughts on headcanons?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2023, 09:50 PM »
 #$# jackfuckintwist.

I don't tend towards headcanons much myself with fictional characters but that's an interesting take on Ennis. There is much of his personality and background from his formative years that we don't get to hear about so any number of things are possible. I've always viewed his reticence as a result of his somewhat lonely upbringing and reluctance to expose himself to others but perhaps if he were on the spectrum, it could have contributed to that quality. Which makes his reaction to finding a friend in Jack that first summer and being able to open up to him even more impressive. Just as his remaining a man of few words even after their relationship had progressed would make sense.

Thank you for sharing that perspective.
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline Frank ☆

• Cassie
  • Jack twist >>
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2024, 07:13 AM »
I like to think Ennis has autism for kinda no other reason than I’m autistic myself and behave similarly to Ennis such as being semi-verbal
Dude, same!! I feel that I relate to both Jack and Ennis in different ways, and I hadn't thought about it much before, but as an autistic person Ennis having autism makes a lot of sense. He struggles to show his emotions and rarely ever opens up. He is very awkward and doesn't understand how others feel about him at some points in the movie. This was super relatable because I struggle with alexithymia, and he pretty clearly does as well. Also, the way he gets violent when he doesn't know how to feel is relatable as well. I LOVE headcanons like these that actually make sense, and don't come from neurotypical people!  #s}
Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2024, 10:14 PM »
It's remarkable after all these years to still hear new perspectives and insights about these characters and their story.  :)

I really should settle in one night and watch again with these ideas about Ennis in mind. I love to hear when there are things that make them even more relatable to viewers.

#$# Frank.
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline rimasworld

• Ennis
  • If ya can't fix it ya gotta stand it
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2024, 04:32 PM »
I have always thought that Ennis was much more than just shy. His complex character was probably a combination of many things in his life and maybe your take on him could very well be added to the list. Thank you for sharing this idea.