Author Topic: Sending a Letter to the Oscar  (Read 12339 times)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Sending a Letter to the Oscar
« on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:04 PM »
The academy members can vote for their opinions but we can write to express ours. Cody has helped us drafted a letter and you can use it as a template and modify it if necessary. If you have any comment about the letter, please reply.

Please join the forum and send a letter to the academy. Thank you for your support

Academy of Motion PictureArts and Sciences
8949 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, California 90211

To The Members of the Academy:

Afte viewing presentations for the Oscar Awards this past sunday, I am deeply saddened and disheartened by the acute lack of respect given to Ang Lee's Masterpiece, Brokeback Mountain. The travesty is that once again, Hollywood has rejected the largest grossing movie, the movie which has transformed a taboo topic into a global debate over rights of gay, bi, and transgendered individuals to live a happy fulfiling life. Brokeback Mountian has been overwhelmingly accepted and duly rewarded with more domestic and foreign awards than any other film this season. Instead, we have been struck numb by the Academy's refusal to translate that acceptance into the mainstream culture of American society, when in fact, all over the globe it has been accepted and is a part of many societies. The lack of courage demonstrated by the Academy in selecting a trite commentary on race relations such as Crash, instead of choosing a more thought provoking societal issue is beyond the scope of rational imagination.

Is the idea of two men so threatening to the Academy's image as to purposefully select the perceived politically correct movie for the Best Picture Award? Is Hollywood really that scared of the right-wing agenda and the protests outside the red carpet? Is the Academy so homophobic that they cannot accept the concept, as Larry McMurty stated, not wanting cowboys to be gay? Do you deny Ang Lee's commentary and passion in accepting his Best Directing Award? If so, I truly feel sorry for you and others like you who have and continue to bow to pressures of the right and ensuing political correctness from their point of view.

I and others, from whom you are receiving this letter have pledged not to spend another dollar seeing any more inane hollywood style movies when you have ignored fans all over the world. While you may not accept who we are or our right to live a free life of love, you will understand when the profits dry up.

Sincerely,
Brokeback Mountain Fan

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 11:40 PM by ethan »
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
Re: Sending a Letter to the Oscar
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:19 PM »
Ethan - Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the process of healing for our Brokies. I will be sending mine out in the mail tomorrow.
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:32 PM »
You are welcome. Mine will go out tomorrow too.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline mlrinoc

• Alma
  • Herder of the masses
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:34 PM »

Thank 'ya kindly, Cowboy.

I'll be sending it this week.

"Truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:58 PM »
Other places where we can send letter concerning the academy Debacle

List of people to contact:

The Academy:
 http://www.oscars.org/contact/general.html

Entertainment Weekly Popwatch discussion of Brokeback vs Crash
  http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2006/03/vent_your_broke.html#comments

Daily Kos
  http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/3/5/235022/1418

Soapnet
 http://forums.go.com/forums/soapnet/thread?threadID=441190

Lisa Rinner of SoapNet (Academy Members Lisa and her husband Harry Hamlin voted for Crash –
 e-mail her to tell her how you feel)

http://soapnet.go.com/shows/soaptalk/index.html

AOL Oscars general discussion
  http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_us/articles.php?boardId=527195&func=3&channel=Moviefone&is_mod=1

Saying Thanks to Heath and Jake (Sunspot’s campaign):
  http://www.well.com/user/sunspot/

Washington Post online Poll “Who was the biggest snub at this year’s Academy Awards?”
  http://polls.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/polls/artsandliving/oscarsnub06.htm

Tony Curtis official e-mail
    tonycurtis@tonycurtis.com
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2006, 12:01 AM »
Thanks, frenchcda for posting these

Offline minara

• Alma Jr.
  • The avatar says it all.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2006, 10:19 AM »
That's a fantastic letter, and I will be sending it ASAP.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2006, 11:32 AM »
You have my heartfelt thanks Cody.  This letter speaks to me and for me.  Thanks everyone for helping out to compose this.

Offline carlton5

• Lureen
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:26 PM »
letters should also be sent to OPRAH as she was a major force in organizing and steering people to vote for CRASH

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:32 PM »
letters should also be sent to OPRAH as she was a major force in organizing and steering people to vote for CRASH

Really?  I don't remember thinking it was so ground breaking myself.  I mean I liked it, no Crash bash here.
I just didn't think it was all THAT great.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:35 PM »

Really?  I don't remember thinking it was so ground breaking myself.  I mean I liked it, no Crash bash here.

We certainly have discussed this Toadily.  I know what you mean when you say that it was not all THAT great..
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2006, 02:48 PM by tpe »

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:37 PM »
Right, as we said, it was a little too clever for my taste.

"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2006, 02:29 PM »
thanks so much for this letter! i'm sending it tomorrow as well!!

Brokies unite!!  ;)
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2006, 06:23 PM »
Thanks for the address- for some reason I had no luck finding it. I started my own letter so I will finish that and mail it off. I will also print this one out and send it as well- very beautifully written.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2006, 06:29 PM »

We certainly have discussed this Toadily.  I know what you mean when you say that it was not all THAT great..
Well after seeing her show the after Oscars I doubt very much the Lady would even consider anything regarding BBM or what the Academy voted for, after all the movie was all in favor of the kind, sorry but these are the facts
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2006, 07:06 PM »
Babs was right...she can shove the couch where the sun don't shine!

Offline donnaread

• Love is a force of nature
  • Alma
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2006, 03:25 PM »
A M E N ! ! ! ! !
This is the forest primeval.  The murmuring pines and the hemlocks, bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight...but where are the hearts that beneath it leaped...

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2006, 05:32 PM »

Where did this come from? Can you please clarify?

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2006, 09:43 PM »
Cowboy, I will be sending out my letters this week too. Oprah be damned.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2006, 10:06 PM »
Ethan - she pimped that movie like people waiting for the second coming.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2006, 03:52 PM »
Ethan - she pimped that movie like people waiting for the second coming.

:-\
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Hurleycook

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2006, 04:57 PM »
March 9, 2006

Ric Robertson, Executive Administrator
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
8949 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Dear Mr. Robertson:

To this day, I remain shocked, stunned and disappointed by the results for “Best Picture” at Sunday’s Oscar Awards.  How it is that those who so shamelessly promoted “Crash” did not transgress the Academy’s very own regulations regarding “campaigning” borders, no, is, truly Rove-esque in its degree of evil.  Jack Nicholson, as its messenger, couldn’t have been more obvious in his contrived “surprise.” 

These results, suspicious to all, are deserving of a thorough investigation by every enforcement agency with jurisdiction over organizations such as yours chartered under the laws of the state of California. 

For years, there has been some element of “wink-and-nod” among voting members of the Academy, but this time, it has gone too far.  To paraphrase an old saying, “hell hath no fury like a bunch of queens scorned.”  When and where voting members are so bold as to state publicly that they will not screen a nominated film, their vote, and the votes of many other like minded members cannot help but have been influenced, and they should all be disqualified.  It is time that your regulations clearly require that where ANY nominated film is sent by DVD or any other method to any voting member by anyone for purposes of screening to determine the Oscar worthiness and ultimate selection of that film, all films so nominated for the same Oscar must be sent together with that DVD by that same company to the same recipient for receipt at the same time in the same package. 

Under the circumstances, it is apparent that many of your own members think themselves above your own rules and regulations.  They campaign with apparent impunity with regard to the promotion of films nominated for Oscar, and results such as Sunday’s are the consequence.  Is this what the Academy wants?  If so, it is seriously symptomatic of nothing less than the most blatant form of institutional denial.  The ethical obligation to “maintain a high degree of fairness and dignity in the process by which films eligible for Academy Awards are promoted to the Academy Membership,” is here, totally flouted.  This general state of organizational malaise, as it currently exists within and among the members of the Academy, demonstrates that these members are incapable of making “fair” assessments of the films they for which they are privileged to vote.  These members, as in the case of the movie “Crash,” have run amok, and the results are literally, incredible – that is, they are without credibility. 

To the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.: “the whole world is watching.”

I look forward to the results of any external investigation regarding this matter.

Sincerely Disappointed,

Lawrence H. Cook

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2006, 06:16 PM »
Great letter. Thanks for posting, Hurleycook

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:48 PM »
Great letter. Thanks for posting, Hurleycook

Ditto!
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2006, 10:41 AM »
Thanks to frenchcda for posting this in Post-Oscar coverage.

http://oscarbeat.latimes.com/awards_oscar/2006/03/the_academys_ma.html#comments

Academy gets lashed by another anti-"Brokeback" sentiment

When Oscar Beat called Bruce Davis to ask about voters who refused to see "Brokeback Mountain," the academy's executive director was unaware of the dozens of angry comments we'd received from readers lambasting Oscar voters for failing to give the film the best picture award.

He hasn't noticed, because he's been too busy reading angry mail from people who are furious at the academy for saluting "Brokeback" with eight nominations and three Oscars.

An hour after we first spoke, Davis called back, in the interim having perused the invective on our comments pages.

"In our mail, we've gotten maybe two dozen emails and letters along the lines of your responses," he said. "But we've gotten more than 1,000 responses from people who are outraged that we gave 'Brokeback Mountain' anything at all."

Those responses, he says, have come not from academy members, but from "all over the place. From red states, I betcha. I understand that some people are upset that 'Brokeback Mountain' didn't win best picture, but our perspective has been colored by this onslaught from people who didn't want to see it nominated, much less win anything.

"It's a perfect no-win situation for the academy. Some people are condemning us for not giving the film our highest award, and many, many more are condemning us for giving it anything."

What the hell? They only received two dozen responses from BBM fans?Huh I don't believe that. Maybe we should all send another letter to AMPAS addressed to Bruce Davis. Maybe they need to see several hundred over the next couple of days.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2006, 10:48 AM »
Please help BBM and join us to send a letter to Bruce Davis. This can not be happening - more people writing to complain BBM's three wins?

Offline scruffy

• Scruff Nasty
  • Jack
« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2006, 02:34 PM »
I'll be penning a well worded letter today.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2006, 02:52 PM »
Davis is just trying to put a spin here. Clumsy attempt that it is.  Anyone doing lookups in the internet would know that people from the other side are more gleeful that BBM did not win Best Picture rather than outraged it won 3 awards.

No win situation for the Academy?  Total rubbish! 

JerBear418720

« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2006, 04:06 PM »
Cody, love your letter!

AMPAS will not understand moral outrage, as many of the members have no ethics, anyway (those that didn't view BBM, and you gotta know people who have admitted this are just the tip of the iceberg).  You HAD to take the high road and express it, tho.

BUT, to threaten withholding the almighty buck will hit em right where they live.  Hollywood is already sweating declining profits.  Think they can make it without the gay dollar?

One of the good things to come out of this is that BBM has the Hollywood suits shi**ing in their pants.  Sure, a film with a gay theme is ok, but one of such quality?  OMG!  What to do?  Maybe if we give it SOME awards it will just go away.

Guess again, AMPAS! ;D

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2006, 08:30 PM »
Thanks to frenchcda for posting this in Post-Oscar coverage.

http://oscarbeat.latimes.com/awards_oscar/2006/03/the_academys_ma.html#comments

Academy gets lashed by another anti-"Brokeback" sentiment

When Oscar Beat called Bruce Davis to ask about voters who refused to see "Brokeback Mountain," the academy's executive director was unaware of the dozens of angry comments we'd received from readers lambasting Oscar voters for failing to give the film the best picture award.

He hasn't noticed, because he's been too busy reading angry mail from people who are furious at the academy for saluting "Brokeback" with eight nominations and three Oscars.

An hour after we first spoke, Davis called back, in the interim having perused the invective on our comments pages.

"In our mail, we've gotten maybe two dozen emails and letters along the lines of your responses," he said. "But we've gotten more than 1,000 responses from people who are outraged that we gave 'Brokeback Mountain' anything at all."

Those responses, he says, have come not from academy members, but from "all over the place. From red states, I betcha. I understand that some people are upset that 'Brokeback Mountain' didn't win best picture, but our perspective has been colored by this onslaught from people who didn't want to see it nominated, much less win anything.

"It's a perfect no-win situation for the academy. Some people are condemning us for not giving the film our highest award, and many, many more are condemning us for giving it anything."

What the hell? They only received two dozen responses from BBM fans?Huh I don't believe that. Maybe we should all send another letter to AMPAS addressed to Bruce Davis. Maybe they need to see several hundred over the next couple of days.

I sent two letters so they are full of it.  I printed out CC's letter and wrote one of my own. Only 22 other people in the whole country/world sent letters? Yeah and I have Jake waiting for me up in my room! {Don't I wish though!} I'll re-send both letters and make them to his attention and add a special message just to him. That BS smells worse then that pup tent.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon