Author Topic: A Couple of Non-BBM Thoughts on the Oscars  (Read 10825 times)

cara1158

A Couple of Non-BBM Thoughts on the Oscars
« on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:53 AM »
1) Reese Witherspoon -- Best Actress?  I'm sorry, the other four nominated women gave AMAZING performances in their respective films.  Reese should NOT have won, period, dot, end.  Just MHO.

2) Phillip Seymour Hoffman -- okay a lot of folks (esp. here on this forum) hated that he won -- I've read lots of complaints about what an annoying character he played ... Well, Capote *was* an annoying character and PSH played him very well.  He would not have been my choice, of course, but they didn't ask me and I won't complain too too loudly about theirs.

3) Hooray for March of the Penguins and Wallace & Grommit... anything with adorable animals and/or Nick Park animation always gets my vote!

4) "It's Hard Out Here To Be a Pimp" ??  well, okay, none of the other nominated songs were any good, either.

5) Jon Stewart:  Did better than I expected but still not as great as Billy Crystal (or as Robin Williams might do, if given the chance).  A few very very funny moments.

6) Fashion comments: I saw almost no really awful gowns, did you notice?  Or maybe my opinions are so jaded after all these years.  The huge bow on Charlize's shoulder must've been quite annoying to the person behind her though, as always, she was lovely and elegant--she is what I call 'old Hollywood' classic beauty.  Jada Pinkett Smith, gorgeous royal blue.  Michelle Williams, I hated the yellow AT FIRST, then it grew on me, and by the end of the evening I loved it; she really stood out amidst all the other muted and dark colors, it was a breath of spring.  So many other beautiful beautiful gowns--Jessica Alba, Keira Knightly (loved the purple), Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lopez, many others.

5) one BBM-related comment:  LOVED spending the Oscars with you folks!   ;)  Thanks.

Cara

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: A Couple of Non-BBM Thoughts on the Oscars
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:58 AM »
cara1158, thanks for starting this topic. It is great to get distracted a little.

I can't get PSH's girlfriend's dress out of my mind....sorry.

I don't know if it was BBM not winning enough or the show, I felt the show was really boring.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Kindred

• Lureen
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:25 PM »
1) Reese Witherspoon -- Best Actress?  I'm sorry, the other four nominated women gave AMAZING performances in their respective films.  Reese should NOT have won, period, dot, end.  Just MHO.

Can't comment on her performance, but I thought she gave a lovely acceptance speech (maybe just a bit long).

4) "It's Hard Out Here To Be a Pimp" ??  well, okay, none of the other nominated songs were any good, either.

The award should have been named The Least Worst Original Song...

5) Jon Stewart:  Did better than I expected but still not as great as Billy Crystal (or as Robin Williams might do, if given the chance).  A few very very funny moments.

I didn't find him to be all that entertaining.  Some of his jokes were a bit flat.  He also butchered the pronunciation of the actress Ziyi Zhang.  Yes, its a difficult name to pronounce, but you'd think he'd practice it a bit beforehand.

6) Fashion comments: I saw almost no really awful gowns, did you notice?  Or maybe my opinions are so jaded after all these years.  The huge bow on Charlize's shoulder must've been quite annoying to the person behind her though, as always, she was lovely and elegant--she is what I call 'old Hollywood' classic beauty. 

All I could think of after seeing Charlize's dress was "Doesn't she realize her personal side-impact air bag has deployed..."

I did like Michelle Williams dress.  It certainly stood out when they showed the entire audience.

JerBear418720

« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:33 PM »
If you looked closely, that thing on Charize's shoulder was a giant black Cinnabon.

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:18 PM »
I saw Walk of The Line.

I know why it wasn't nominated for Best Picture. It really isn't that great. It's honestly kind of boring.

The only thing good is Reese can sing, thats all. And that is why she won, it wasn't a groundbreaking performance, but whatever
THE ACADEMY KNOWS BEST
hahahahahahahahaha *falls off chair in fits of laughter*

ahhhhhhh good one.
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline chrissy323

• Alma
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:24 PM »

I have to admit that I only saw one of films of the Best Actress nominees and that was Walk the Line. I thought Reese Witherspoon as June Carter was very annoying.
"No More Beans"

"Beans 'bout all we got left"

"We got to do somethin' 'bout this food situation. Maybe I'll shoot one of the sheep"

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em"

Offline bram

• Jack
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:43 PM »
I thought Walk the Line was great and that Reese Witherspoon deserved the Oscar. Maybe that's just me. I might be biased, though. When I was a kid, Great Balls of Fire was my favorite movie, and they are reminescent(sp?) of each other.
Dog Canyon, Texas is the most beautiful place in the world. You should check it out.

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:00 PM »
Did anyone else think that the Academy seemed even more full of itself than usual?  Plus all that blathering about how great movies are on the big screen.  HAH.  One of them really was great, not that the Academy noticed.

I read today that the show was down 8 points from last year.  It really wasn't anything exciting.

camom

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Did anyone else think that the Academy seemed even more full of itself than usual?  Plus all that blathering about how great movies are on the big screen.  HAH.  One of them really was great, not that the Academy noticed.

I read today that the show was down 8 points from last year.  It really wasn't anything exciting.

camom

after not giving Best Picture to BBM, it will go down another 8 points next year, because no BBM fan will likely ever watch that pathetic excuse for an "awards" show ever again.
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

JerBear418720

« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:39 PM »
cara1158, thanks for starting this topic. It is great to get distracted a little.

I don't know if it was BBM not winning enough or the show, I felt the show was really boring.

Was she the one dressed in something that looked like a pile of beige rags?

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:34 PM »
With all those stupid montages I think the Academy was trying to bump itself up for a dismal box office year. To be honest, I would not bother to see most of the crap that is put out by the industry. It is aimed at the youth audience and carries no interest for me. In my 8 viewings of Brokeback I have had to watch the previews for a group of movies I would never want to see. About the only ones that interested me were Indy films, out of the main stream. I am not into gratuitous violence or sex and that's about 90% of what's released. I want a movie that will amuse me, lift me into a world of fantasy or a movie that will move me. I loved Casanova, a piece of fluff that took me away for a few moments. Brokeback Mountain has moved me like no other movie I have ever seen in my life. It's got my Oscar and as far as I'm concerned that's all that matters.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:06 PM »

It was a bright blue cocktail dress.  Looked like something from a flea market.   ;D

JerBear418720

« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:28 PM »

It was a bright blue cocktail dress.  Looked like something from a flea market.   ;D

AHHHHH!  I just found out that beige rag mess was worn by Naomi Watts.   ::)

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:34 PM »
I had the hots fodrDan Futterman ...until he mentioned the "W" word.
RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

JerBear418720

« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:38 PM »
I had the hots fodrDan Futterman ...until he mentioned the "W" word.

Dan Futterman can be forgiven MOST thing.... :P :P :P :P

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2006, 02:12 AM »
dan futterman actually starred in will & grace as a geeky newly out gay guy on one episode long ago.  he also was in a movie called urbania which is pretty good (gay themed).

i loved how jon stewart made a crack at bjork and cheney shooting her referring to her "swan" dress. lol

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:47 PM »
reese witherspoon

Is it true she was paid something like 36million dollars for that film? Maybe she bought the votes with all that cash.

I don't know how much she was paid..but her next pay check is 18millions..highest paid actress this year...come on Julia..make a come back at the movies..(20millions a movie!)
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline abm1959

• Cassie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2006, 07:50 PM »
Michelle Williams and whoever did the makeup and costumes managed to make Alma look absolutely frumpy. 
She's actually an incredibly beautiful woman and I thought she looked great -particularly for someone who
just had a baby.  Now that kid's going t have some looks!

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2006, 03:39 PM »
Congratulations to Michelle. Here is the pages I scan from EW. Heath and Michelle are the hottest couple.

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2006, 05:08 PM by Frog123 »
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2006, 04:07 PM »
Ethan !!  :o
Thanks so much for the picture (the one with him, naturally) !

*reaching for tissues*

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2006, 04:09 PM »
Ethan !!  :o
Thanks so much for the picture (the one with him, naturally) !

*reaching for tissues*

You are very welcome. Heath is so handsome in the second one with Michelle.  ;)

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2006, 06:21 PM »
Ok, to follow the order of Cara's comments:

1- Yes, Reese would not have been my choice either.  It was a tough category as I was favoring Felicity Huffman (Transamerica), Judi Dench (Mrs Henderson Presents) and Keira Knightley (P&P).  Probably would have gone with Felicity.

2- I can live with PSH.  Capote is a good film not as good as BBM but far superior to Crash.

3- I was a big supporter of Wallace and Gromit and the March of the Penguins was a hit with the public.

4- Ok, "It's Hard Out Here To Be a Pimp" would not have been my choice but...  I did like Jon Stewarts comment that this group got an Oscar but the Academy still has not given one to a great living director, Martin Scorsese.  Robert Altman finally got an honorary Oscar after being snubbed for years.

5- Jon Stewart did ok.  Yes it was very boring but Stewart wasn't responsible for that. Gil Cates has been producer for a number of years so I'll blame it on him. 

6- No comment on the fashions except to say that Keira Knightley was stunning.

7- Yes it was fun celebrating and cursing with the ennisjack.com crowd.    ;D

Extra: 

8- Still think George Clooney should have gotten the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay (not Crash) and not Supporting Actor.  And then our friend Jake could have gotten Best Supporting Actor.

As Annie Proulx stated, "From the first there was an atmosphere of insufferable self-importance emanating from "the show"..."  The Oscar show takes themselves far too seriously.

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006, 07:47 PM by hidesert »